Select Home Warranty

Labor guarantee
$75 to $100
Service fee

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Three coverage options
    • Discounts available
    Cons
    • Not available nationwide

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Conroe, TX

I detailed my A/C issues and the agent created a claim for me and instructed me to send an email with the details and invoice for my repairs. We discussed when the issue occurred ...

Verified
    Crowley, LA

I got an excellent representative who contacted me immediately after I selected a quote request. David ** was professional and offered me an amazing deal. … I was still able to ge...

Select Home Warranty coverage

Select Home Warranty has three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care and Platinum Care. Bronze Care covers eight major home appliances, and Gold Care covers six major home systems. Platinum Care combines the plans and adds coverage for plumbing stoppages, garage door openers and ceiling fans. Roof coverage is available for free during certain promotional periods.

Bronze Care plan

• Electrical system
    • Water heater
    • Ductwork

Platinum Care plan

The Platinum Care plan combines the Bronze and Gold plans and adds three additional items, for a total of 17 coverages:

• A/C and cooling
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling fan
    • Plumbing stoppage

Select Home Warranty cost

Select Home Warranty’s rates range from $44 to $63 per month. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s trade services fees start at $60.

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” waiving the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain time frame. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out.

Prices are based on quotes for a home in Houston and are accurate at the time of publishing.

The company also offers some nice-to-have optional add-on coverage plans.

Discounts

Select Home Warranty offers discounts for multiyear coverage plans. Call the company for more details. Select also offers periodic discounts. For example, when getting our quote, we received a discount for two months free and $150 off.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover preexisting conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify it does not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks. It also doesn't cover damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defects.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
    • Door handles
    • Doors
    • Hinges
    • Knobs and buttons
    • Door seals
    • Freon
    • Damage from a freon leak
    • Displays
    • Valves
    • Dispensers
    • Installation
    • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for its coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements and drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions, which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty claims and coverage limits

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or email, or submit a claim online.
    2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days if you make a claim during a weekend or holiday).
    3. You pay a service call fee to the contractor (starting at $60).
    4. If the repair is covered by your warranty, Select covers the rest of the cost.

Coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most the company will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in the contract:

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Is Select Home Warranty legit?

Select Home Warranty has a good overall customer satisfaction rating. Plans cover all major household appliances and systems. The inclusion of roof coverage gives Select an advantage over competitors. However, there are some strict terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service. This means that homeowners will want to act fast when an issue comes up.

What is Select Home Warranty?

Select Home Warranty is a company that offers home warranty plans to cover mechanical wear and tear on your home’s appliances and systems.

How does Select Home Warranty work?

If you have an issue with any covered appliance or system, you can contact the company to file a claim. You will pay a service fee, and then the company (or a contractor working on its behalf) will repair or replace your appliance or system as long as it is covered under your policy.

Where is Select Home Warranty available?

Select Home Warranty is available in 47 states. Nevada, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from the company’s service area.

Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase coverage. There is also no maximum age of home systems and appliances as long as they are in good working condition at the time you enroll in the plan.

Can I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Yes, you can cancel your warranty. However, expect to pay a $75 cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after signing up.

Is Select Home Warranty transferable?

Yes, Select Home Warranty is transferable. However, residents in some states may not be able to transfer their coverage. View the terms and conditions on the company website for more information about transferability in your state.

Over 10k reviews since 2013

Stars Rating

• 57%
    • 6%
    • 1%
    • 1%
    • 35%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

1 featured review
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Reviewed May 15, 2024

I had to make 4 phone calls before getting Velma who has hopefully helped get my washer repaired. The first repair man came three days later. That was Tuesday, May 7. He said he would order the part and be back Saturday, May 11 to install. I haven’t seen or heard from him since. I called on Tuesday and today to get someone to call the repair man and get him moving. The girl yesterday told me she would call me back in two hours last night. She never called. I called again today and finally got someone to get things rolling. I am still waiting on a repair man so I am basically starting over. Today I am satisfied with progress but I am still pissed at the overall picture. It takes too long for you guys to get things done. I had a problem with my refrigerator several months ago. That repair guy did not know what he was doing, he left saying everything was fine but I still have problems with it.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 15, 2024

I usually don't take the time to leave reviews.. even if they are good.. but I had to take the time to praise Select Home Warranty and the AC vendor 'Doing Service' and my AC tech Alex. So I was out of town when my neighbor informed me my AC was acting up (I like in SW Florida, it's 100 degrees down here already) so I filed a claim on a sunday afternoon, monday morning they called me and had an appointment scheduled for monday at 11am. Well I was still out of town, was not flying back home till 6pm monday..

The tech assigned with Doing Service Alex was amazing! He stayed in contact with me, when I landed at airport I text him I was on way home, got home at 7pm he was here waiting for me. It was a steamy 87 degrees in my condo... Alex crawled up in the attic, went outside, found the issue (blown compressor). He fixed it in 20 minutes, AC was back up and running. Service call was only $65. He even took a peek at my other unit for no charge, just to make sure it looked ok. Way to go Alex.

Reviewed May 14, 2024

Not sure where to begin with the exceptional Customer Service and Support received from Select Home Warranty. From the beginning of the call the attentiveness of our service representative was like no other. He provided several plans that would meet our needs including plans that covered a wide span of several years which would save us lots of money for the long haul. Additionally, after months of research we decided on Select for their unmatched customer service and 24/7 service call line in the event of an emergency. We were going to call another company to price comparison but 1 representative explained the value of Select if we were to sign up with them and also offered an additional incentive of lowering our service calls to seal the deal. Select is the only warranty provider I would recommend as their reviews speaks for themselves for existing clients as well.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

Looking for a "replacement" warranty to the one I had had for 8+ years through SEARS, I wasn't sure which one to go with, especially with so many options to chose from. After a very brief conversation with the first potential company (argumentative and very unwelcome), I went on to Select Home and spoke with Robert **, who probably spent 40 minutes reviewing the options best suited for my two-family home. He listened to the copious questions I asked and had prompt, and as it turned out from a subsequent call, accurate information regarding coverage and pricing.

I never felt rushed like he had to get off the phone to take the next call and make the next sale. In fact, we worked out an agreement, given my age--66, that put me in a plan that was even more equitable than initially thought. So, if Robert is paid on commission based on the final price, he went to bat for me over the company he represents. At this juncture, I suspect that Select Home has a customer for at least three years, and probably more.

Customer Service

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

Recently, I had a remarkably positive experience with a customer service call that left me impressed and satisfied. From the moment the call connected, I was greeted by a friendly and professional representative who exuded genuine warmth and empathy. Their demeanor instantly put me at ease, setting a positive tone for the interaction. Throughout the call, the representative demonstrated exceptional listening skills, attentively addressing my concerns and patiently guiding me through each step of the resolution process. They took the time to fully understand the complexity of my issue, asking insightful questions and providing clear explanations along the way.

What truly stood out was the representative's deep knowledge and expertise in handling my specific issue. They offered creative solutions and went above and beyond to ensure that my needs were not only met but exceeded. Their proactive approach and attention to detail left me feeling valued as a customer and reassured that my problem was in capable hands. Moreover, the representative maintained consistent communication throughout the call, keeping me informed of progress and timelines. Their professionalism and commitment to excellent service were evident at every stage of the interaction. Overall, this customer service call exemplified the gold standard of customer care—a seamless blend of empathy, expertise, and efficiency that left a lasting impression. It reaffirmed my confidence in the company and showcased the dedication of its customer service team to delivering exceptional experiences.

Claims Handling

Reviewed June 11, 2024

When I purchased the plan, I was told that all major appliances as well as the electrical and plumbing systems were covered. About 11 months after I purchased the plan, I filed a claim due to a crack in one of my drain pipes. The claim was denied.

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed June 11, 2024

From start to finish I hated dealing with SHW. First, they input my address incorrectly. It took weeks for anyone to fix it. We attempted 2 different claims which they somehow made into 3 to get more $$$ out of us. All claims were denied - there’s always a loophole. I finally had enough and called to cancel — I kid you not, I spent over half an hour on the phone being redirected then when finally connected to the “right department”, after trying to be convinced already to stay, the person I dealt with held me hostage FOREVER to continue to “convince” me to stay. He even had the nerve to mention my baby and “would I want him in the house if something went wrong”….what?! Every time I said no, this person harassed me relentlessly. I was kind the entire time but finally snapped when he tried to tell me there was a cancelation fee. Don’t bother asking for a supervisor, they’re apparently doubling as the “escalations department” too, so everyone’s a supervisor! Such a ridiculous experience, stay far far away.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverage

Reviewed June 10, 2024

Select bent itself into a pretzel to not cover my AC unit failure. I filed a claim. I paid the $75 and a tech came out and told me the evaporator coil on my system needed to be replaced. After 3 days in the Texas heat. I received an email. The email declined my claim. I thought surely this was a mistake and called follow up. The rep told me my claim was denied because of a Freon leak and they don’t cover Freon. I said well the failed part caused the leak, not the freon. After 15 minutes of apologies, she said she could help me, but couldn’t help me. So I asked to speak to supervisor. Surprise, the supervisor said the same thing. Because the Freon leaked - the part wasn’t covered. Circular logic at its best.

Customer ServiceRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed June 10, 2024

This is the most frustrating company I have ever dealt with. After having tried for weeks to get them to resolve my plumbing issue. I am now having to get a lawyer involved because they refuse to answer my emails, call me, or refund my money. Who wants to not be able to use their toilet for a month?

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed June 10, 2024

I had a contract with Select Home Warranty. Their response time was horrible and they failed to support our needed repairs on 4 of 5 claims we submitted. Make sure you read the fine print of any contract with them as they have many excuses.

Select Home Warranty Company Information