4.4/5 (1099 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

Pros

• Discounts available
    • 30-day trial period
    • 24/7 claims number

Cons

• Not available nationwide
    • Some claims denied

Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for coverage. It works with a large network of local repair professionals. Coverage limits are lower than some other companies, but the company also charges less per month.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price seemed great for all the services that are covered. I got the platinum package and I would recommend to any new homeowner for peace of mind to know that it will be a f...

Verified

Just started the warranty service with Select Home Warranty. Good service to get the service started. Starting with positive vibe on the policy. The service person Greg did a good...

Select Home Warranty coverage

Select Home Warranty has three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care and Platinum Care. Bronze Care covers eight major home appliances, and Gold Care covers six major home systems. Platinum Care combines the plans and adds coverage for plumbing stoppages, garage door openers and ceiling fans. Roof coverage is available for free during certain promotional periods.

Bronze Care plan
    • Electrical system
    • Water heater
    • Ductwork
    Platinum Care plan
    The Platinum Care plan combines the Bronze and Gold plans and adds three additional items, for a total of 17 coverages:
    • AC and cooling
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling fan
    • Plumbing stoppage

Select Home Warranty prices

Select Home Warranty’s rates range from $57 per month to $63 per month. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s trade services fees start at $75.

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain time frame. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify it does not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
    • Door handles
    • Doors
    • Hinges
    • Knobs and buttons
    • Door seals
    • Freon
    • Damage from a freon leak
    • Displays
    • Valves
    • Dispensers
    • Installation
    • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for its coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions, which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most the company will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in the contract:

ItemCoverage limit
    Heating and cooling$2,000
    Electrical$500
    Appliances$500
    Add-on items$400
    Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Where is Select Home Warranty available?
    Select Home Warranty is available in 46 states. Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from the company’s service area.
    How do I file a claim with Select Home warranty?
    Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:
    1. Contact Select via phone or email, or submit a claim online.
    2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days if you make the claim during a weekend or holiday).
    3. You pay a service call fee to the contractor (starting at $75).
    4. If the repair is covered by your warranty, Select covers the rest of the cost.
    Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase coverage. There is also no maximum age of home systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time you enroll in the plan.
    Can I cancel Select Home Warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your warranty. However, expect to pay a $75 cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after signing up.

Is Select Home Warranty good?

Select Home Warranty has a good overall customer satisfaction rating. Plans cover all major household appliances and systems. The inclusion of roof coverage gives Select an advantage over competitors. However, there are some strict terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service. This means that homeowners will want to act fast when an issue comes up.

Select Home Warranty Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2013

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I was impressed by the salespeople ability to communicate using the King's English that I could understand, and their ability to quickly and clearly explain features of their system and their policy. I was happy to see clear value and cost savings in comparison to the contract, cost, and treatment I have been experiencing lately from this provider I have had for 18 years vs. the approach and customer service administration at SHW. I received the cost and benefit information about the policy I was considering quickly and accurate so I could make my decision about getting my new policy with SHW. Since I have not yet begun my coverage I can't comment at this time about their claim administration but was happy that I could talk directly to a live person about my claim submission and not be forced into a computer system or pay my deductible before I get to see a service contractor.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I didn’t realize when I got this request to review, it was for the service. I thought it was on the call person. She was very good and understandable. It took a couple days to get an appliance repair person in my area. I got a message to pick three times that might work and the company would contact me to confirm which one they could accommodate. Unfortunately, my request was sent in on Saturday and one on the options I picked was Monday morning. The appliance company is not open on the weekends and so I have not heard back and don’t know if I need to be home during that time or not and probably won’t find out until they are on their way if they accept that time. I will try to update after service is done if I get an opportunity.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I bought my house in August and my realtor negotiated a home warranty for me as part of my closing package. I was excited but didn’t know much about it. All I knew was that if anything broke, I was covered. About a month ago, my hot water heater starts going out. It’s making less and less hot water. I called a plumber that worked with the home warranty and they checked it out. They said they would submit a claim and left. Time goes by and I don’t hear anything. I call the plumber and they said it’s Select’s fault. Meanwhile, my water heater has gotten worse and only produces about a 3 min warm (not hot) shower.... not fun for washing my extra long hair!!

I finally decide to call select to get to the bottom of this. I don’t know my policy number or claim number so the agent looks it up for me. She said the policy was in my realtor's name!! I needed to get it transferred over to me. She said they have been emailing/calling but it was going to my realtor. I was in shock. How does this happen?! The agent said that they cannot process my claim until they get a picture of the water heater. This whole past month I was suffering with cold showers for basically no reason. After I got off the phone, I emailed the requested pictures to the claims department. I called my realtor and told her what happened and she immediately called select to transfer the policy. Now I’m waiting to see how long it will actually take to review my claim. I long for the day when I can take a hot shower!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Select is the 4th home warranty I have used over the past 10 yrs. The last three have been so difficult to work with I quit using them. My experience had been frustrating. Taking more than a week to get to me when I had an air conditioner outage in July with temps up to 100 degrees. This was my first contact with Select after purchasing in December. I had a blocked or frozen drain with a water leak to the basement. I made my claim about 8 am and had a repairman name by late morning. I made the call to Breezy AC/Plumbing and told that he could get me in on Saturday (5 days later).

I explained the problem and he told me if he could come in the evening closer to 6pm he could be at my home the next day. Because of an emergency for a person with no heat he was delayed by another hour, but he came. The repairman was so thoughtful and made the repairs that night. Select will have to continue to show me these kind of results but their choice of repairman was just wonderful so far. Select has really made a wonderful impression on a person that has had many disappointments with home warranties.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Called Select as they are my home warranty company. Have never had to use them since I purchased it. Talked with the customer service guy which was easy and straight to the point in asking what service did I need. As I gave him my contract number he provided me with the local plumber service that would be coming out and texted the info to me as well. The customer service guy was very professional. Call about 715 in the morning to report the stopped toilet. The plumber arrived at my house about 10am or so which was very fast and took him no time to get the toilet back to flowing correctly. Guy was very professional. I would recommend Select Home Warranty to any home owner as the service was easy to request and the company they used to complete my service needed was fast and professional in coming out.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I purchased the Select Home Warranty thinking it was a great idea. After purchasing I found out that the policy does not kick in for 30 days after purchase. After that I found out that it’s an additional 30 days for any major parts won’t be covered so total 60 days. My refrigerator compressor went. They sent out a technician that took three days to get to my house. Later come to realize they will not fix my compressor because I fell within the 60 days. So I paid lots of money for this useless insurance. Also keep in mind it’s technically 90 days from time of purchase. I was also 2 days shy. They kept me on hold and transferred me to many departments. When I ask for a full refund they refused and we’re going to hit me with penalty’s basically making it a wash. Stay away from this company at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

They do not honor their contract, they make up nonexistent reasons to deny claims, their customer service is absolutely the worst I have ever encountered, they lie like it's an olympic sport and when you try to cancel they keep almost all of your money. Do not waste your money on this horrible, horrible company!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Please get a copy of the contract before investing your money in this company and read it closely. The primary reason for any appliance to fail is not covered under the contract. For example, my 10 year old water heater failed. It began failing in October- less hot water, the need to dial up the heat on the unit to achieve hot water and a gurgling sound that indicates the unit failing. By the time the unit fully failed (3 months later), it had developed a small leak. The leak is the reason Select Home Warranty will not cover the replacement. Had I filed a claim in October, there would not have been a leak but I am absolutely sure they would find a reason for not replacing the system including depreciation.

This is true of furnaces- they will not pay for a replacement furnace if the reason for failure is due to the coils, heat exchangers, etc. I could go on to list more reasons for noncoverage for all other appliances. The only things they pay for are the small, low cost things such as a refrigerator thermostat. You pay $45.00 toward the evaluation. Don't waste your money. I would also like to point out that it can take as long as 3 weeks to get the repair needed, one week due to their evaluation process and finding a service company willing to accept their payment structure. Please don't go through the headache with this company. It is not worth it in the long run.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

My clothes washer stopped draining and was in need of repair on 12/31/21. During the business day, I submitted a request for repair through SHW. On 1/1/22, I received a text message from the assigned contractor requesting I click a link to schedule three potential times for service. I click the link, follow all prompts, and submit my requests. On 1/3/22 I had not received any further communication with the contractor and did not have an appointment for repair yet, so I called SHW about this. I was told by the SHW representative that I was “somehow overlooked” by the contractor and SHW scheduled me for an appointment with the contractor for 1/4/22. The contractor came out as scheduled, determined the issue and what needed to be repaired, and then notified me via telephone that SHW has the option to buy the parts and send them to me or allow him to buy the parts. The contractor stated SHW had 48 hours to make this decision.

When I got home from work on 1/4/22, I called SHW hoping to speed this process along and request they allow the repairman to purchase the needed parts. I also noticed I had been charged a $75 service fee by the contractor but my contract with SHW notes a $65 service fee. SHW advised they had purchased the parts and once the parts shipped, they would arrive at my home in 3-5 business days. SHW also noted that the service fee had been wrong in the system for my account, but they did nothing to refund me the overage I paid or credit my account in any way. The parts were shipped on 1/5/22 with scheduled delivery for 1/7/22. Delivery with FedEx gets delayed and continues to be delayed as I post this review on 1/9/22.

My contract notes the contractor will be instructed to make the appropriate repairs within 2 business days when claims are filed on a weekday and 4 business days when filed on weekends. We are past 5 business days now and I have no parts for repair in my possession and I still have a clothes washer that is not working properly. This is not the timely and quick service I was guaranteed by SHW when I signed up for this service. SHW notes in their contract they are not responsible for delays in repair yet they are the ones, along with FedEx, causing the delay. I’m disappointed and frustrated with this whole process. This is the first and I’m only claim I’ve filed through SHW, and I’m hopeful I won’t have to use them again before my contract expires in the next 3 years. I’ll be searching for another home warranty company at that time.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I bought Select home warranty in April 2021 from their Salesman Greg. As is the case with all pre-sales, he was super nice. That should have been my first red flag but I still went ahead. I got a great deal for 6 years and I paid for everything upfront. This was my second mistake that I got into a 6 year contract. Couple of things:

- They do not have a online portal for tracking and submitting claims.
      - For submitting a claim, an online form is filled on their portal. Then everything is a blackbox. You may or may not get a confirmation email. Most probably you will have to call them to submit the claim or confirm whether claim was submitted or not.

- Once a claim is submitted, their dispatch takes 48 hours to assign a company/technician.

This is where the nightmare starts. There is no option to schedule online with technician or the company who is going to come and fix the issue. Most of the time you the policy owner will be calling the technician, trying to schedule an appointment. Most of the time the technicians and companies working with them never come. I don’t think SHW has a good working relationship with any the companies/technicians. In past 8 months I raised three claims with them and most of them were reassigned to another technician before anyone could come for a visit.

The experience I had with SHW on my latest claim was the final straw in the relationship I had with them. My claim was open with them for 2 weeks without any action. Their loyalty department is a joke who does not have any empathy with customer. I decided to get my policy canceled today. I am not even getting my money back on pro rated basis. Fingers crossed on getting some money back as paid upfront for 6 years. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY and their trap of low price. If you are looking for a home warranty look elsewhere.

Select Home Warranty Company Information