4.2/5 (719 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • 30-day trial period
  • 24/7 claims number

Cons

• Not available nationwide
  • Some claims denied

Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for coverage. It works with a large network of local repair professionals. Coverage limits are lower than some other companies, but the company also charges less per month.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price seemed great for all the services that are covered. I got the platinum package and I would recommend to any new homeowner for peace of mind to know that it will be a f...

Verified

Just started the warranty service with Select Home Warranty. Good service to get the service started. Starting with positive vibe on the policy. The service person Greg did a good...

Select Home Warranty coverage

Select Home Warranty has three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care and Platinum Care. Bronze Care covers eight major home appliances, and Gold Care covers six major home systems. Platinum Care combines the plans and adds coverage for plumbing stoppages, garage door openers and ceiling fans. Roof coverage is available for free during certain promotional periods.

Bronze Care plan
  • Electrical system
  • Water heater
  • Ductwork
Platinum Care plan
The Platinum Care plan combines the Bronze and Gold plans and adds three additional items, for a total of 17 coverages:
  • AC and cooling
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling fan
  • Plumbing stoppage

Select Home Warranty prices

Select Home Warranty’s rates range from $42 per month to $49 per month. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s trade services fees start at $75.

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain time frame. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify it does not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
  • Door handles
  • Doors
  • Hinges
  • Knobs and buttons
  • Door seals
  • Freon
  • Damage from a freon leak
  • Displays
  • Valves
  • Dispensers
  • Installation
  • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for its coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions, which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most the company will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in the contract:

ItemCoverage limit
Heating and cooling$2,000
Electrical$500
Appliances$500
Add-on items$400
Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Where is Select Home Warranty available?

Select Home Warranty is available in 46 states. Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from the company’s service area.

How do I file a claim with Select Home warranty?

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or email, or submit a claim online.
  2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days if you make the claim during a weekend or holiday).
  3. You pay a service call fee to the contractor (starting at $75).
  4. If the repair is covered by your warranty, Select covers the rest of the cost.
Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase coverage. There is also no maximum age of home systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time you enroll in the plan.

Can I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Yes, you can cancel your warranty. However, expect to pay a $75 cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after signing up.

Is Select Home Warranty good?

Select Home Warranty has a good overall customer satisfaction rating. Plans cover all major household appliances and systems. The inclusion of roof coverage gives Select an advantage over competitors. However, there are some strict terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service. This means that homeowners will want to act fast when an issue comes up.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: June 22, 2022

I debated whether or not to renew or try another company. After talking to the agent (he was very nice) I figured I'd give them another year. My last call for service was stressful when I was told I need an electrician, (for my stove/oven) and I knew I did not. All their electricians were busy so I had to bring in one that is a friend and had worked on the outlet that was in question. He tested it again and let your company know that there was nothing wrong with it. This then allowed the other company to come out. Unfortunately we needed my oven for a wedding cake so I just bought a new oven. I did not trust the company that came out. It seemed they weren't very knowledgeable or were just lazy.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Service Plus' intake representative was courteous and informative. An appointment was scheduled for the next week, according to a service business. Eduardo, the technician, arrived on time and performed admirably. After troubleshooting, I had to replace my garbage disposal. Rather than having the guy order a replacement from an unknown manufacturer (I had a badger), I volunteered to provide a new replacement disposal, so all the tech had to do was remove the old one and replace it with the new universal fitting one. He got permission from Service Plus to do so, and the installation went off without a hitch. This prevented a second visit, and Service Plus incurred no costs for the replacement garbage disposal since, when the contract comes up for renewal, they keep track of the total cost of this service call and any others made during the contract period in order to establish the new contract's cost.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I was searching for a home warranty plan that would fit my needs without breaking my pockets. I have used American Home Shield and Choice warranty in the past. I inquired about Select Home warranty and also noted their great reviews. I signed up online and lucky for me I made a mistake with my address and received a call from Jake **. He worked with my schedule. I was in class at the time so we were emailing back and forth.

When I finally was able to speak with he asked if I was a veteran. He stopped and was told me there was a better opportunity and plan available for me because of my service. Boy did it save me money. I am not cover just covered for 1 year but 3 years! And I received months free for paying in full!!!! I already know this is going to be a great experience. Thanks Jake **!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Updated on 01/26/2022: Hi...This is a follow up to this morning's comment on calling Select to tell them my furnace was not working. I called them at about 8:35. At 11:30 I received a call from the tech to tell me he was "on the way". At 12:45 the repairman had that furnace humming. Three times at bat so far for Select. Three homeruns. Thank you Select!!!

Original Review: Just started the claim and so far, so good. The woman on the phone was very nice, professional and patient. I have used Select before and they have always handled my problem professionally and competently. Glad I decided to get this policy when I purchased my home. So far they have fixed several things in my home. The repairs sure would have added up to the price of the policy and more. No surprises.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I contacted Select Home Warranty on 1/24/2022; the first time I've had to contact them since signing the contract with them. I had a busted water main in my guest bathroom, which was going to require a professional plumber to cut off the line, solder a new connect/value in place. I explained the problem to the first contact representative, they took my information, assigned a claim number, and reassured me a plumber would be notified immediately, and I would send a confirmation e-mail. However, minutes afterwards, I was able to repair the broken water main myself; it was a miracle. I contacted Select Home Warranty again to advise them to cancel the claim/plumber, as there was no longer a problem. The second customer representative was also extremely pleasant and professional, and canceled my claim without any haggle or problem. I will be sure to contact them again in the future, in case of a home emergency.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I called for plumbing service and they would will not approve the repairs for snaking out my plumbing issue. They took my payments every month and failed to provide services when I needed them the most. They made me wait for a response for 4 weeks just to tell me they will not approve the service amount requested by the plumbing company to snake out my drains.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I had a plumbing block and I was unable to use my washer, shower/bath, or toilet. When a claim is filed you are informed by Select Home Warranty that you will be contacted when a company that provides the services you need is assigned. However, I repeatedly kept getting the same email indicating due to the fact service technicians were backed up. After many phone calls, I'm convinced there are no service technicians. It further explained that I could find my own service provider, get an estimate, get per-approval from the provider I used, and then I must pay for the services in total, submit a claim for reimbursement, and when all approved they'll reimburse me for my costs within 30-days. So if the cost is (example) $1,298.00. I would have that amount out of my bank for up to 30 days.

I'm convinced there are no service technicians because they prefer to have the customer do all the work. I a senior on low income and simple could not afford that. When I threatened to cancel my contract, several delay techniques were used. I was promised to be put on the top of the list and a provider would be assigned within 24-hours. Never happened. Called. They would put me priority again. Called. Same response. After 5 days I did cancel my request and am going to find a legitimate home warranty service.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Claim #: ** / Date Filed on Website: Sunday, September 4, 2022. at approx 04:00 hr. The SHW claims department responded to my claim via email on Monday, Sept 5, 2022.

"Dear STEPHEN **,

We thank you for contacting us with additional information regarding your Plumbing System claim.

We are in the process of finding a local technician to come to your home to diagnose your Plumbing System.

This process usually takes up to 48 hours, and an email will be sent to you with the Technicians information.

Dispatch Team

Select Home Warranty"

The claims department had located and dispatched an Inspector on Thursdays, Sept. 8, 2022. He was set arrive in the late afternoon. Our pipe was leaking when we used the shower and the directly below the ceiling had fallen in due to the leaking pipe. We stopped using both showers because both showers share a common drain pipe and water supply lines. I was able to schedule a licensed plumber to come out and fix the broken pipe on Thursday, Sept. 8 2022 mid morning. Also, I had previously submitted photos of the water leaking from the pipe to the claims department when I filed the claim.. The ceiling had collapsed {perfect opening}.

They had the leaking pipe repaired before the Inspector arrived and the claims department has denied my claim due to policy language. Remember that it took them {four/4 days to get an Inspector to show up at my property). In my opinion their claims handling process is deliberately slow which in turn makes them guilty of Bad Faith Claims Handling Practices. I DON'T RECOMMEND DOING BUSINESS WITH SELECT HOME WARRANTY.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Sept 9, 2022. When I signed with Select Home Warranty several months ago, the guy assured me that the policy covered maintenance. About six months or so later, I called them to have someone do maintenance on my AC. The answer they gave was that they do not cover that, so naturally I decided to close and cancel my policy the next day. The nightmare began when I called to cancel, they kept putting me on hold, transferring me, and leaving me on hold for a significant amount of time that seemed forever never to return. I had to call more than five times because the holding time was so long and I work from home.

When I did call back the cycle repeated itself where I was once again put on hold and bounced around from one agent to the next to ultimately be put on endless hold again. They even pleaded with me not to cancel, but I told them I had no use for their policy. For the final last time I called, and I was put on endless hold again. I finally gave up and hung up again. I felt so beaten up and unheard. I did have another home warranty policy over three years ago but it was not like this. I didn't go back to them cause they charged me an extra month for terminating my policy and I never used it with them either. However, Select Home Warranty was the worst customer experience I have ever encountered in my life. I never even used their services and I picked the right prompts for cancellation on the phone and still got nowhere.

I will never ever get a home warranty through them again. I am just glad that I know how they deal now. They are scammers and awful to their customers. I was civil and assertive and they still played games. It was so horrible and I felt so abused. I was severely stressed out in disbelief. I checked my emails and they still did not cancel my coverage. What I had to ultimately do and I told them this, that I would have to put a stop on their future payments. What that means is that I had to get a new debit card. Such a shame. What is this world coming to. I looking to get my money back now. Good luck if you pick this company. I hope they treat you better because they treated me awful. The date of this incident was Sept 8, 2022.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

This company is a fraud as others have stated. They don't warranty any of the major A/C Components. I had the Executive VIP membership and I got hit with a $4700 A/C bill at my house and this company DID NOT warranty any of the work. They wiggled around the terminology in the plan so they didn't have to pay. My service technician told me this company is a fraud and will never approve any service work more than $250. And he was right. Get your money back IF you can.

Select Home Warranty Company Information