Get a Quote

ACCREDITED PARTNER

4.4/5 (2833 ratings)
    2064

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

2064

Pros

• Discounts available
    • 30-day trial period
    • 24/7 claims number

Cons

• Not available nationwide
    • Some claims denied

Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for coverage. It works with a large network of local repair professionals. Coverage limits are lower than some other companies, but the company also charges less per month.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

Verified

… The price seemed great for all the services that are covered. I got the platinum package and I would recommend to any new homeowner for peace of mind to know that it will be a f...

Verified

Just started the warranty service with Select Home Warranty. Good service to get the service started. Starting with positive vibe on the policy. The service person Greg did a good...

Select Home Warranty coverage

Select Home Warranty has three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care and Platinum Care. Bronze Care covers eight major home appliances, and Gold Care covers six major home systems. Platinum Care combines the plans and adds coverage for plumbing stoppages, garage door openers and ceiling fans. Roof coverage is available for free during certain promotional periods.

Bronze Care plan
    • Electrical system
    • Water heater
    • Ductwork
    Platinum Care plan
    The Platinum Care plan combines the Bronze and Gold plans and adds three additional items, for a total of 17 coverages:
    • AC and cooling
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling fan
    • Plumbing stoppage

Select Home Warranty prices

Select Home Warranty’s rates are competitive and slightly lower than average, with customers paying around $40 to $50 per month for coverage. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s trade services fees are between $60 and $75.

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain time frame. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify it does not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
    • Door handles
    • Doors
    • Hinges
    • Knobs and buttons
    • Door seals
    • Freon
    • Damage from a freon leak
    • Displays
    • Valves
    • Dispensers
    • Installation
    • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for its coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions, which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most the company will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in the contract:

ItemCoverage limit
    Heating and cooling$2,000
    Electrical$500
    Appliances$500
    Add-on items$400
    Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Where is Select Home Warranty available?
    Select Home Warranty is available in 46 states. Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from the company’s service area.
    How do I file a claim with Select Home warranty?
    Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:
    1. Contact Select via phone or email, or submit a claim online.
    2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days if you make the claim during a weekend or holiday).
    3. You pay a service call fee to the contractor (usually $60).
    4. If the repair is covered by your warranty, Select covers the rest of the cost.
    Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase coverage. There is also no maximum age of home systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time you enroll in the plan.
    Can I cancel Select Home Warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your warranty. However, expect to pay a $75 cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after signing up.

Is Select Home Warranty good?

Select Home Warranty has a good overall customer satisfaction rating. Plans cover all major household appliances and systems. The inclusion of roof coverage gives Select an advantage over competitors. However, there are some strict terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service. This means that homeowners will want to act fast when an issue comes up.

Select Home Warranty Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2013

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Select is the 4th home warranty I have used over the past 10 yrs. The last three have been so difficult to work with I quit using them. My experience had been frustrating. Taking more than a week to get to me when I had an air conditioner outage in July with temps up to 100 degrees. This was my first contact with Select after purchasing in December. I had a blocked or frozen drain with a water leak to the basement. I made my claim about 8 am and had a repairman name by late morning. I made the call to Breezy AC/Plumbing and told that he could get me in on Saturday (5 days later).

I explained the problem and he told me if he could come in the evening closer to 6pm he could be at my home the next day. Because of an emergency for a person with no heat he was delayed by another hour, but he came. The repairman was so thoughtful and made the repairs that night. Select will have to continue to show me these kind of results but their choice of repairman was just wonderful so far. Select has really made a wonderful impression on a person that has had many disappointments with home warranties.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I am switching over from a different service provider that I have been extremely unhappy with. It was not guaranteed that I was going to sign a new contract I was merely looking for information. Sam contacted me mere minutes after I inputted my information with the company on their website. He was patient with me and worked with me to find a plan that best met my needs. I had to consult with my spouse and Sam left his offer on the table for a couple of days to allow me the time to explore other options.

When I contacted him a couple of days later he had all my information already in the system as well as the existing offer that he had offered me before. Additionally in those 2 days he found an even better deal than he had offered me on the previous phone call and I signed up for that deal. If the customer service that I received over these last couple of days is any indication about the quality of service I will receive from the company I will be a lasting customer for a long time to come. Thanks Sam.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Updated on 09/08/2020: Today September 8th 2020 I called to follow up on my recent claim for my inoperable oven of in period. The lady I spoke with was extremely pleasant and full of all the answers to my questions I had regarding my recent claim with the warranty policy I had purchased over 2 years ago. The representative explained to me that they had received the pictures of these serial and model number of my oven along with an additional picture I sent of the oven. She stated that the claims resolution team would be reviewing my information provided and I should hear something from these team within 24 to 48 hours from this phone call. She was a very pleasant lady to talk to and I more than appreciate her time and your service with your warranty company. I cannot wait to get my new one since this one was deemed unfixable at this time. Sincerely, Douglas **

Original Review: Oven inoperable. This was an awesome and simple experience. Thankful that I purchased this warranty back in 2018 when I purchased my home. I feel the value is right and the fee of $45 is perfect! The scheduled repair is to occur in a day. Having a home warranty give a home owner a sense of comfort knowing the home will be taken care of. Thanks again for your assistance and timely manner handling my home warranty request today.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I am having trouble getting an appliance repair technician out to my house to fix my clothes washer. However, all of your associates have been very helpful while attempting to resolve my issue. My washer stopped working a week ago. It was a three day weekend for Memorial Day. A repair company was dispatched Saturday, just a day after I filed a claim. So on Tuesday morning I tried contacting that company with no success. I called SHW & the person I spoke with successfully reached the repair company. The company owner ultimately said he would be at my house the next day. I had to call him the next day to confirm that he would get parts to repair the washer and he would call me back. No call came so I called him again and he told me the parts had to be shipped in from Dallas and could I wait till Thursday when the parts came in. I agreed.

Didn’t hear from him by 1:00pm Thursday so I called again. He said he would verify that the parts were in & call me right back. He didn’t call back. I spoke with SHW associate and she said that you would find another company. You are keeping me in the loop by email about the progress being made to dispatch another company. Y’all have been very attentive helping to resolve my issue but a week later, I am still without my washer. Very inconvenient. Thank you for the effort.

Original review: April 7, 2020

We noticed an unusual warm spot in our ceramic tile along with a diminished amount of hot water, and the water heater running a lot -- all put together made us think we had a water leak in the floor. I was up late last night and called Select Home Warranty (instead of online form... it didn't allow for detail I wanted to provide). CSR took accurate information on the phone and gave me the standard response "someone locally will contact you within 24-48 hours".

This morning before 8AM I had an email with a contact number to call locally. When I called, I spoke with an answering service, but within 20 minutes the Duncan Heating/Air/Plumbing company in Lubbock called, where I spoke with the owner, Mr. Duncan. They changed their daily schedule to get their technician out early today (he was going out on a 2-day job... they rerouted his day's jobs). Kyle, the technician was very polite and efficient - found the leak in our system, and made the reports.

Sadly slab leaks aren't covered by Select Home Warranty, however, we are arranging to get that cared for by Duncan folks. Kyle left our system in operation today with plans for a team to come tomorrow to fix the leak. Select Home Warranty was speedy and efficient and friendly - did a good job of communicating throughout the process. I could recommend them for you if you're looking for a home warranty company. Understanding - they don't cover everything!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I have have filed at least 5 claims with this warranty over 11 months. Even though they told me these things were covered when I bought this policy, they always have an exclusion in fine print. They have not covered any issues at my house. Now my furnace is broke and they want manuals and maintenance records for the last 3 months. I just purchased this house 2 yrs ago. They said at time of purchase of of the warranty that the furnace was covered. They are very deceitful to get you to purchase their lies.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

The rep that assisted with change the length of coverage and was extremely patient, kind, empathetic, knowledgeable, and courteous. My husband and I are happy that we made to decision to upgrade our plan to a 3 year plan. I even provided the company contact information to my sister so that she too can utilize Select Home Warranty.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

First time customer with Select. I had some concerns and the sales guy answer them professionally and help get me the best deal possible. Looking forward to see how great the service is when needed. Hope their claim process is as good as their sales rep was. I would recommend using him to all my friends and family.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Fast, simple process. Costs reasonable. Ordered a 3 year plan. Our sales representative was easy to talk to and explained all that was covered...After seeing positive reviews we already knew this was the company we wanted to go with. This is the first home warranty I've purchased so I'm happy. The process was super easy.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I sent in an email request to repair my heating system and was contacted right away. The repairman was dispatched and responded quickly to determine what the issue was. The part was ordered and replaced the following day. The repairman (Kelly) was professional and courteous. It's nice to have a home warranty that works when you need it.

Select Home Warranty Company Information