3.86/5

- Best in service, 5 star reviews

- Lowest Monthly Cost

BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

2402 Select Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Select called me and signed me up for a warranty 2 months ago. I really wasn't sure if I made a wise decision. I know my sister told me it was a good type of product but never used one before. Comes last Tuesday the knob on the oven unit broke and I could not turn it on. SHW service gave me two option to order and ship me the part or I could go to a local store and buy it and they would send me a check. I decided to wait for them to order it. It took 3 days which was okay for me.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have a new microwave thanks to Select Home. I bought my microwave 6 years ago and I loved it. So, last week it would not turn on at all. What a pain! So Select informed me that due to the age and model number, parts are no longer available and it would make more sense to replace it. I followed the instructions for buying a new one and submitting payment information. All said and done, I am a happy customer.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Good protection. Good service. When my roof was leaking for a few days because of a ton of days of rain I called to inquire about my protection. I was assured that it would be covered and that someone from the roofing department would call. They called and had an appointment made for me. One day later I got a call back saying I must wait for the rain to be all dried. Two days later they came and did a patch job on the spot. Time taken was to many days.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My household had this platinum warranty protection plan since 2013. It has held up incredible for my needs and I will outline my problems. My leak had a roof after a big storm, Select came through in a few days with a very good contractor. 4/5. My second repair was on my central air conditioning unit and that only took 2 days and was done wonderfully. 5/5. My garage door broke and it took 4 days and the contractor was very good. 5/5. With these experiences I do recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

My name is Milanka and I just wanted to give a BIG thank you for how you handled my second claim today. I was very impressed with how in a matter a 24 hours you were able to send a heating company to me so hastily. Peter was on time and took his time ensuring the work was completed correctly. The place was kept clean and I was given a care packet on how to maintain my thermostat and what warning signs to be careful about. A very nice touch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I am happy with the outcome of my claim. This was my first Select experience dealing with their claims process and technician. The problem I had with my garbage disposal was not an emergency but Select did treat it like one. The Technician was sent quickly and kept in touch the whole time. The disposal was replaced with a similar model and is now working fine. I am happy with these results. Thank you Select for making it easy.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Our last experience with Select Home Warranty went beyond being excellent for us. The company that they hired to come and fix our heater not only repaired it but ordered free replacement parts for the heater in an expedited manner. It was ice cold and on the weekend. The agent I spoke with at the company promised it wouldn't stay cold for long. In Carleton it's never easy to find the right person for the job, I am glad SHW was able to. Great company. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought a home warranty plan from Select. I have not made any claims yet, however I had an excellent sales rep to explain to me the different plans. This gentleman was professional and patient. I had lots of questions and was a bit hesitant to sign up. I usually get nervous calling sales lines but he made me feel comfortable that I am signing up with the right company. I am sure when I make a claim all will be good.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Call Select Home Warranty on Jan 22, 2018 to notify them that our heating system was not working. Service Co came Jan 25 to repair unit. Had a bad blower motor and they would have to get approval from Select before replacing new motor, paid service co. $60 for the deductible. Have called Select Home Warranty several times in last three weeks. Have sent them paid preventive maintenance receipts for last 3 years of the previous owners, with no resolve to heating issue. My view on this situation is to NOT buy a Home Warranty.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

We had no choice but to cancel, because your company is a ripoff. We been out a dryer since. When it's time to fix the problem you wanted us to pay more money but your company didn't have a problem taking the money out of our bank account every month. Also, spending money to transport wet clothes to the laundry mat, Do you plan on reimbursing the money? I will not recommend this shady company to any of my friends or enemies. You don't even care about the burdens you have cause my family.

How dare you ask us to find our own contractor and you will give is a 100 bucks because the works for your company doesn't know how to book his appointments. Had the nerves to tell my husband that you will give us a 100.00 because our dryer is old. My husband was upset so the lady said she would up the ante to 125.00. WTF this is not poker. On top of that wanted us to pay more money to the contractor after we already paid him to come out... It didn't take you long to cancel our request on canceling the service but it took over a week to get someone to come out...

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I set up a claim call for a microwave that went on fire. When I placed the claim, Select had informed me that is was not worth even sending someone to look at it as it would not be able to be repaired. They instructed me to find a model that I wanted to buy and send in the invoice for a approval amount. I followed the instructions and Select agreed to reimburse the replacement.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I had a water heater malfunction in the garage of my home. This water heater is only 3 years old so I was surprised when the unit just stopped working. So I did what any other customer would do. I called my insurance company. Select Home Warranty made me feel confident that they will get it up and running again. They stood by their word and within one and a half days it was back to work.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My heat went out in the middle of the night in -8 deg weather. I called; no answer. I filed a claim online; no response. Several days later they sent a technician out which stated the system is obsolete and beyond repair. I have only owned the home for 6 months at the time. They denied the claim due to the lack of 3 years prior maintenance records. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Our refrigerator started to leak from the bottom. Right away I panicked because last time this happened we needed a new fridge. I then remembered we have a warranty from Select. We called up Select and they sent over a local appliance technician from the neighborhood. The gentlemen were in the house for about 30 minutes until they figured out what the issue was. They had determined that a line was leaking and it needed to be replaced. Select covered me for the new part in full.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

The water heater began leaking and I telephoned SHW for repair. The appliance company arrived and made the determination that according to code they needed to pull a permit and either make a new vent exhaust into the chimney with a water heater or replace the entire unit with a new and efficient power vent for the water heater with some piping. SHW made the wise decision and just replaced the unit with the higher efficiency water heater.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

SHW is very easy to work with and sent on many occasions me top notch contractors. Excellent value and the peace of mind when it really counts knowing something wrong happens, I call them up. I have told my friends about the service entailed and I will also rate them highly online and renew with them when it is time. Contractors have been licensed and also insured. They supplied proof for me.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This is really a big scam. I have purchased policy seven months back and this is the 1st time I have complained for washer and stove. It is more than 10 days I am trying to get my issue fixed but they are in no mood to get my issue resolved. They are trying everything to deny my claim. I strongly advise that don't ever buy Select Home Warranty. Their customer service is worst, they never give you true answer. They are nothing but cheaters, I am not sure how Consumer Affairs given them 4 star rating. I think we should file lawsuit against this big scam.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Had 6 of 6 claims denied for ordinary items. Fine print is very detailed and eliminates most occurring repairs. You are required to pay the repairman the copay even if they don't do anything or if the repair is declined. Basically throwing your money away twice!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Peace of mind knowing when things break and are disturbed they will find workers and pay for them. Really has its advantages and I can't recommend enough. My claim was on my 4.8c refrigerator, I did not expect that they would be so quick and come to my house in only three days. The service person named Carl was very sweet and was able to replace the motor in 24 hours. Thank you for the all around positive experience.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I simply looked up their website, put in my phone number and email address. When they contacted me I told them I decided not to have their warranty and yet they call and text me everyday since even after calling them and asking to be removed from their call and text list. Do NOT inquire from them or be subjected to the same treatment. Hopefully one day they will actually take me off their list.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

The company is terrible to deal with. If you submit a claim they do everything they can to delay and excuse you of fraud. Once the DO approve a claim, they take forever to pay for what is due to a customer, it took me over three months after I paid for the repair. DO yourself a favor and run far from the company. They will take your money and not honor the contract. You will spend hours on the phone getting the runaround.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I purchased my home warranty when I bought my house in March 2017. I paid the entire one year premium up front. I filed my first claim when my furnace stopped working. It was less than 15 degrees outside, 6 am and I called a 24 hour repair facility to come fix the furnace. I submitted my claim online 3 weeks ago. I have been asked for the same documentation multiple times, been told the claim was finalized just to find out later that it is not. The blower stopped working and had to be replaced. They are stating my claim will not be paid without service records. Why would I have service records for a home that I just purchased?

Customer service is lacking. I am transferred to multiple people who have zero answers, have spent hours on hold over multiple attempts to contact, tried the online chat option just to get the runaround. I would never utilize this company. I have owned three homes in my lifetime and have always had a home warranty. This is the first time I have utilized this company and will be the last. 100% SCAM!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

None of the issues you claim will be covered, and if they are they will cover a small fraction of it. Definitely not worth the pain and effort to even get a tiny amount reimbursed. This was by far the worst home warranty company we have ever worked with. Poor communication, extremely slow service and follow up.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My experience is good here in Michigan with SHW. Historically, they are precise in the diagnostic and so far 4 positive completions of damage in my home just like the roof. This protection is for sure my savior during bad weather and breakdowns.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Beginning in Dec. I purchased three home warranties for properties in NC, SC and FL. All seemed to be going to provide good value as well as service. I read reviews and they seemed to be mostly positive. I have used warranty companies before and had only one problem when they did not cover my saltwater pool. I thought I would try another company this time around. WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I made a claim on the oven in the Florida property. Had to do it online-not live as I was used to.

Someone from Select Home called back same day to say they received my claim and to get further info. Not sure why I could not do this first. But in any case, they said a service repair company would call back within 72 hours. I thought this was too long and SHW. Well to my surprise they told me my policy would not take effect for another two week "pre-existing"!! I was blown away. Funny how the tech never told me that when he called me to confirm my claim. I have now requested a full refund on my three policies. I was told I would receive it within 30 days. From others I see this may not be true, they have not received their money back. I hope I do. If there is anyone involved in a class action suit against this shady organization, let me know. I want to get on board...

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Had our furnace go out when it was below zero outside. Since they couldn't find anyone to take the job they said I could find my own and be reimbursed. A week after the repair they said they would not cover the cost because the contractor repaired something that should have been a maintenance item. I contacted the contractor and he said the part would never be part of maintenance. A week later, two weeks after the breakdown I get a call apologizing for the long delay and that they could not find anyone to take the job but would keep trying(?). Really? Two weeks of no heat in zero weather? They obviously had no idea what was going on so just for a test I said OK well contact me when they found someone. Still waiting after six weeks.

Second try dealt with our oven. I entered a claim and received an email that a contractor would be calling me. We made an appointment which was missed. We made a second appointment which was also missed. The contractor has an F rating with BBB. Called Select Home Warranty and was told I would have another contractor assigned within 24-48 hours. 48 hours later I called and was told it might be 24-48 hours more IF they could find someone. They offered to let me find my own but based on my previous experience I don't think that is a good idea. I have since learned that most reputable companies in the area will not get involved if Select Home Warranty is in the picture. Bottom line is that in two attempts under different circumstances I've tried to use their warranty service. In both cases they have been unable to find a repair person in a large city that will associate themselves with them. I used American Home Shield before and had no issues.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I began services with Select Home Warranty in early summer 2017 and made a service request in August. The contractor was out of town and was to call me when he returns. He never called back. Our air conditioner begin performing ok for a several weeks. In October we begin having issues again and we attempted to make another request for services. Select was never able to get us a contractor for services. They couldn't even get a contractor to schedule several weeks out. Which tells me that they must not have any contractors!!

When I asked about the original contractor I was told that he is no longer under contract with them. We were told that we could get our own contractor and pay for services and they would reimburse us. However, what is the point of having a warranty if I have to find my own contractor and pay upfront possibly thousands of dollars if the unit needs to be replace. Also paying upfront there is no guarantee that Select would approve all charges. This companies lack of follow up and concern is just not acceptable. We have American Home Shield with another property and will definitely be getting them with this property too!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

In the past half a decade SHW came through on 1) a water faucet, 2) a fridge, 3) the oven. Everyone hired was fast, polite and professional and completed the work in just one visit. Cordial, clean and always showed me proof of expertise.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I signed up 1 year contract. Salesperson said if we do not satisfied, We can cancel anytime and get Full refund. (They did not tell me there is $75 cancellation fee) I ordered first claim. 2 plumbing problems. I had to pay 2 x $45 = $90 copay even the same plumbing company fixed it in the same time. Plumbing company said we need new faucet. I thought Home warranty company is going to cover. When I called Select Home Warranty, salesperson suggest me to get 1 more year $399 contract and He will add faucet coverage. So I added one more year. But This plumbing company said they can just put ring and can repair. We did not need new faucet.

Next one was Electric issue. They sent HVAC company to repair electric. They said he is certified to repair electric. But This technician did not have any company name on truck or no way to know if he was certified. I had to wait almost 1 week for this service. So I decided to cancel. I called 2 times to cancel. They do not let me cancel. Finally they said I need to pay $105 (service call fee) + $105 (service call fee) + $75 + $75 for cancellation Fee. This is not what I signed up. Salesperson can trick into yearly contract then very hard to cancel. I paid $799 per house. About $1600. Hope they will Full refund soon.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I signed up for a quote from them online, and it dawned on me that I should look up their online reviews. Things such as denied claims, slow payment, constant follow up necessary on the customers part, etc. all gave me pause. A few minutes later, I get a sales call. Immediately, I was offered a better rate, without even conversation. I politely thanked the agent and got out of my mouth that I had looked up reviews. He interrupted and went on for a good while about all the different awards they’d received and the overall ratings they had.

When he was finally finished, I began to explain that I really needed more time to think about it and would prefer that they let me follow up should I make the decision to proceed... He immediately began overtalking me. When I asked him to please let me finish, he hung up! At this place point, I was furious and wanted to share my experience with a manager. I called the number from which I’d been called, pressed the option for sales, heard call-center-like background noise, and then the call was disconnected without anyone saying anything. I may buy a home warranty, but it won’t be from these guys.

Select Home Warranty Company Information

1 International Blvd #400
Mahwah
NJ
www.selecthomewarranty.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use