4.23/5

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 22, 2018

2585 Select Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

On a cold weather in January my heating system stopped working. I called Select Home to file a claim and explained that I needed to get it back as soon as possible. My Mom way back then was sick and is currently under her treatment. The Rep who assisted me was very professional and made sure that I can get someone out within the day. Best home warranty I’ve ever had! Using this company has been one of the best decisions I made so far.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I am partial to blame (even though I am not) because I bought a Sharp microwave with poor reviews online. The unit from the expiration of the warranty had its faults. First the buttons were not responding then the thing would not get hot. When the later happened I decided to take the time to actually get some use out of my warranty. What I got was a great friendly staff and a replacement voucher for a new unit. I could not ask for better.

Original review: April 19, 2018

January was when at the recommendation of my kid sister that with my new co-op I should look into having an insurance policy on my kitchen and linens appliances. I sat on the idea for a few months and did some research. What I ended up buying was a warranty from Select Home Warranty. In the past month my washing machine wasn't producing hot water. I was sent a appliance master who told me that the line to the hose was not set up correctly! He fixed it for me and I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Hi. Am outlining my experience on 4/2 with Select Home Warranty company and their repair department. I give them an A+ In customer phone support, A B- in scheduled appointment time and a A in the field of service provided. Overall a very respectable job and I am content with the experience in fixing my leaking toilet in a span of 7 days. We think with a few minor gripes on delays they would be a lot more dependable.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Our troubles started after a loud noise came from the refrigerator after a lightning storm power outage. First the lights would flicker oddly then the motor had a weird smell. We finally made a claim call and were given a scheduled time of visit. Larry came and told me that the board was fried and it was even amazing that it was working at all. He said since it is working somewhat to give him two days for new parts. The replacement came and all repairs were complete.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: April 17, 2018

I almost never give a perfect score to a company but in this one case Select went out of there way to make every detail of my water repair quick and as easy as possible on me and my family. They started out by sending me an immediate company that would diagnose and get the hot water running temporarily. Four days later they came back in to install a new water heater. They never kept me in the dark and were patient with all my calls and worries. Simply put perfect.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had a previous policy that came with my house from another company. It did not cover one single repair and I had to seek out a new company. Select was my finding and after thirty days I made a claim on my backup freezer which I admit was a complete 180 from the last guys. I strongly recommend them. They stood behind the repair work as soon as the warranty came into effect.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Had a claim with this company and waited 5 hours for a response. When I called back I was informed that my claim was denied because of a leak in the water heater. I never had a leak, my water just stopped working. I tried to explain that and they did not care. Never go with this company. The reviews that they have must be from people that are paid to write reviews. Also, customer service personnel are difficult to understand. Very hard accents.

Original review: April 16, 2018

If I could go back in time and select another company I would because of this. “9.1.2 You are responsible for providing annual maintenance and cleaning by a licensed technician on covered items to ensure continued coverage on such items. Select reserves the right to request prior years (3) maintenance records and/or pictures, without proper maintenance records and pictures the maximum payout on any system/appliance is up to $150.00.” So if you have no records and your a/c dies you will only get $150. Also they are slow to get you a repairman out who will work with them. On the 3rd attempt of SHW sending out a repair one finally came, unfortunately the repair has had a hard time getting SHW to authorise the repairs.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We had a claim to repair our washing machine. They didn't want to send a tech to service it so we had to get our own tech and then they were supposed to reimburse us. We have now waited over 6 weeks for a process that was supposed to take 1 week and still no refund. We have now contacted local PD and fraud dep as well as attorney generals office in their state and county to file charges. BEWARE OF THESE PIECE OF **. FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Select Home Warranty is a great company. I have recommended them to some of my close friends and most of them would say they never heard of them or that they have heard from a friend of a friend about their bad feedbacks. I simply tell them that bad feedbacks are often made by those who are subjective and did not read their contracts. I told them based on experience, they have courteous and amazing staff. Contractors they send out to do the work orders are very knowledgeable and efficient. No hassle at all working with them.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Straight away within a month of my warranty coming in to effect I had an issue with the dishwasher leaking on the floor. It made such a mess that went under the floorboards and I was a nervous mess that it would warp the wood. I was lucky that after drying everything my floor was okay. SHW was the first I called and told them exactly what had happened when running a normal cycle. I waited 2 days for a call back from a hardware store who said they were 6 miles away and could come that day or the next. The following visit was very smooth. The old tube was plastic and broke. He was able to replace it very quickly and very well done work.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I had an issue a few months after purchasing their home warranty, and they never resolve nor denied my claim. After paying over $400.00 for a service I wasn’t going to get I canceled. They don’t tell you what your refund will be. Oh imagine my Surprise a few weeks after cancellation. I received a 17.52 Check. They wouldn’t approve or deny my claim after two months. Don’t go with this jankie company until you want to waste time and money while being disrespected. This company is a fraud!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I purchased a Premium Home Warranty Plan from Select Home Warranty in June 2017. In October, I filed for service for my dishwasher as the dishes were not coming out clean enough. Select Home Warranty flat out denied my claim since I said the dishwasher door doesn't close tightly. A month later, I filed a claim on my KitchenAid gas range oven which was not working. They again denied my claim and said since I couldn't open the oven door. I called KitchenAid and they showed me how to open the jammed door.

So, I call Select Home Warranty back and filed a new claim. It took over 6 weeks for them to find a technician to come and look at the range. (They can't find contractors because of the low pay and horrible way they treat their clients.) The contractor said the range needed to be replaced but Select Home Warranty never even bothered to contact me with their decision. Weeks later, I called and only to be told that I will be compensated $125 for the replacement of the range. The range was over $3000.00. This company has over 4,000 negative reviews with the BBB, Yelp, Youtube and so on. They must be made to honor their contract and stop scamming people.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I Travel, had for years, and never ONCE have we had connection with knowledgeable call center person. Mar 2018, attempted washer/dryer repair, again, SHW never sent a tech that was able to repair root problem. Continuously told, wait another 24 hours with no result. Finally they said they would only cover 125 of the bill, and I had already paid co-payment. So we are out after really giving our best foot forward. I believe in the concept just not in SHW.

A consumer that has paid out thousands upfront for your insurance, and then denied coverage based on your numbers, not what you originally gave to believe would be solid coverage. I have not had one incident with a favorable outcome with your company. This is another incident of getting ran around, I am now responsible to not only send you more documentation to get a sum that you know will not cover repairs, and I still need to pay the co-payment. How does any of this appear fair or reasonable to an invested consumer. I am sure the following is expected and of no surprise. After these claims are completed I am terminating coverage with Select Home Warranty. Please send me the documentation to cease coverage with your company, and retrieve my money for time not covered ASAP.

Original review: April 10, 2018

A couple of months ago, I was seeking a home warranty. I contacted Select Home Warranty and another company. I ended up going with the other company and about 3 weeks ago, I asked Select Home Warranty to stop calling me. They said they would. But they kept calling. I blocked the number and they just called me from another number. Today, I called them and asked them to remove my number. The first time, they hung up on me as soon as I asked them to remove my number. I called right back and told them I asked them 3 weeks ago to remove my number. They hung up on me.

I called a 3rd time and said, "I'm reporting you to the FCC." The woman (the other two were men) said, "You don't even know who I am." I told her I didn't need to know who she was and that I was hung up on twice today for asking to have my number removed. She said she would make sure my number was permanently removed and that her manager would investigate the calls. I don't believe anything will be done but I do believe they will sell my number. Do NOT fill out a contact card for this company unless you want to get nasty attitudes and multiple calls a day.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Select Home Warranty never failed to impress me each time I call for help. I have done couple of service repairs and one replacement for the past 4 years. I am amazed of how they improve their services. They get better and better and contractors they deal with were just amazing! Thank you for saving me to all frustrations and headaches. I see myself as a happy customer now and for the coming years. Keep rocking Select Home Warranty!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I called Select Home to repair my washer. All my appliances are covered with SHW policy. The technician came out after the first attempt. The appointment time came and went. The tech said it will be okay from now on. I am very pleased with the result. Sometimes it may take couple of days to complete a repair. This is convenient to all homeowners like many of us. Fast and prompt service. Thanks to SHW for saving me money and most importantly saving me time!

Original review: April 9, 2018

9 days ago I called in a service claim for one of my appliances, 9 days past and still had no service. I called Select 7 times and still no service. They had excuses that they could not find a technician. It only took me 1 call and I was able to schedule a service call. The customer service was inadequate and needs either to be retrained or fired. I feel that this company is a sham and has no idea on service.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I wanted to share my experience being with Select Home for over a year now. Since I am a new policyholder, a lot of the terms in the contract is a bit confusing to me. So as a consumer I wanted to make sure that I have a full understanding of the whole policy and coverage. I called a customer service rep of Select Home and tried asking all the things that is not clear yet. She was very patience and knowledgeable. She even made sure that I understand more of what is not included to the coverage. So far I had 3 claims and all went fine.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I used to rent for three years but when my father died last year I had to go back to our home. I’m the only child and all properties was transferred to my name. I am happy that when I experienced appliance breakdown I had SHW. The policy from my father was transferable and so I didn’t have to worry anymore if I need assistance. No wonder my parents was able to maintain our appliances is because they have SHW.

Original review: April 9, 2018

About a month ago, I called SHW for a service repair for my HVAC system. The technician that came out said that it needed a new part installed and said that since the unit is in back order it may take a while before they can get it installed again. I told SHW that it is okay for me to wait since I will be in and out of the country because of business commitments. I am lucky that when I came back from a 2 weeks trip, I got a call from the tech and he said that they are ready for installation. The whole process went smooth and I’m more than happy with the result. Thanks SHW!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I bought my AC unit 2 and half years ago from a very well-known company. I thought of getting my warranty after the 2 years warranty and so I did. I’m glad that a good friend told me about how good SHW is. When I initially called them I told the rep to give me time to think it over and contemplate on what plan to purchase. He did call me back on the date and time that was set. That was one reason why I went with them because they are really serious and do what they say. I am a satisfied customer after 4 claims so far.

Original review: April 9, 2018

For the past 3 years I have been dealing with X Company but there is something I can’t accept. This is the main reason why I had to go with SHW. I called for my AC unit and they responded and fixed it. 2 weeks after the repair same issue happened and another week past it’s still the same. They sent out 3 different tech but nothing had been done. I tried to get my own tech as I know someone nearby. Only to find out that a wrong part was installed. I was very disappointed. SHW did the job RIGHT! So I will stay with them. If you want to save go with SHW.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had tried couple of companies and it had been a frustrating experience for me and my family. Though some of them weren’t really my first choice, lot had been referred by my mortgage company. Sick and tired of all the chaos I did my research. That’s where I find SHW as one of the best in terms of pricing. When I called them I even get 20% additional discount by signing up on the same day. So far I am a happy customer. I filed my first claim last month and everything went well. Thank you SHW.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Several of my claims got approved for appliance replacement parts but the roof leak repair only covered just repairing the leak. They did not actually replace my roof to make sure that it would not happen ever again. The roofer called in said he could remove and retar just a very small section to stop the leak. It has rained heavy and I have no signs of water damage but I really hope that this works out.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I was so frustrated with my old home warranty, they were unable to fulfill their end of their contract. I have 4 small kids who were freezing in our house without heat, so I wasn't going to deal with their delays and risk my children's health. I purchased a plan with Select Home Warranty and made sure that all the things I hated from my old warranty company will not happen again. So far, so good. I have had not a single complaint with them. It seems that they are better than my old home warranty.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The odor emitted from the water line was awful. It have half the house stinking like rotten eggs. I was given a generous time for a plumber to come and take a look at it. He took a long tool with a camera and searched inside for the backup. He found that a rodent was stuck in the pipe and would have to get it and dispose of the thing. It was disgusting but he did what he had to do. I respect the job that was done.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have a game entertainment center that is connected directly to a four wall plug. For no reason at all 3 stopped working and that is very unusual. I created a claim which took a week to process and approve for a technician. A week out an electrician was brought to my house. He found that the old electric tape was bad and the wiring lost its strength. He replaced it in under an hour.

Original review: April 6, 2018

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS WARRANTY COMPANY! I had no choice through my home purchase, but as soon as my year is up I am running from this company. Put in my claim weeks ago and I have had to harass the company nonstop and the electrical work still has not been done. Of course Action Services cashed by co-pay check and then disappeared. No voicemail available and now the phone won’t accept calls. I reached out to Select Home Warranty... AGAIN... demanding my co-pay back and I have heard nothing. They say what you want to hear so their contracted companies get their money. I want nothing to do with either of these fraudulent companies. I only want my co-pay back, I was ripped off.

Select Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

Headquartered in New Jersey, Select Home Warranty offers three simple home warranty plans to fit every homeowner’s needs and budget. The company has a network of more than 10,000 local contractors available to provide fast, quality service to their customers.

• Accessibility: Customers can call or email for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Non-emergency calls are scheduled within a maximum of two business days when service is requested on a weekday, or four business days if the call is made on a weekend or holiday.

• Low service fee: While service fees vary slightly according to your plan, they’re usually as low as $60.

• High HVAC coverage limits: Select Home Warranty’s $2,000 coverage limit on HVAC systems is one of the highest in the industry.

• Optional coverage add-ons: Add on additional coverage for areas that need it, including your pool, second refrigerator, sump pump, ice maker, spa and more.

• Multiple year coverage discount: Customers who opt for multiple year coverage are eligible for a discount. Contact a representative to find out how much you can save.

• Best for: homeowners, buyers, sellers and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Select Home Warranty Company Information