4.14/5

- Lowest Monthly Cost

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

2171 Select Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I contacted Select Home Warranty through the toll free number on the weekend. The contractor contacted us during the weekend and made an appointment to come see the problem. He saw that it was a simple problem with my heating system and he got it back on and left to his next appointment. We have had Select since we bought our home 5 years ago. Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

The cooktop started to trouble me when I was getting the breakfast ready for the kids. My husband caught hold of the Select's Claims department and made the call. Since it was morning the technician arrived the very same day and repaired the cooktop. I really appreciate the speed of response. Thank you Select.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The recommendation for the Select Home Warranty was made by my school friend almost two years ago. I can see a stark contrast in my life before and after Select. I owe all this change to my childhood pal and to Select for making it happen. Great first claim response.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Called 3 time for different problems. I was never contacted by techs. Spent my own money. Called to cancel. They told me they would reimburse me $200.00. I told them to shove it. I spent $10,000.00 out of my pocket. I'm a disabled Veteran with a limited income. I would not waste my money on this company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Select Home Warranty customer service rep was nice and professional. However the third party technicians they work with were very unprofessional and unreliable. I contacted Select Home Warranty regarding my A/C unit twice. The first company they assign my claim to didn't even contact me, I had to contact them and then the tech didn't showed up on the agree date and time, I had to contact him to find out what happened and reschedule. Long story short, it took a few tries to get him to actually show up, Only to determine that all I needed was a new thermostat and told me to go buy one, since he had no more with him. He charge me the call fee and left. As you can imagine the new thermostat did not fix the problem. I contacted Select Home Warranty a second time to open a new claim and requested to please NOT be sent the same company.

Select Home Warranty assign my claim to a different company and the Tech again was very unprofessional. Second tech conducted the inspection and said he would submit his report that same day and I should hear back from Select Home Warranty within the next few days to informing me if the repairs will be cover, he charge me for the "Call Fee" and took off. A week pass with no respond, so I call Select Home Warranty only to find out that the Tech had not submitted his report yet. It's very frustrating when the weather is 100 and you have no AC. Long story short, Select Home Warranty emails me telling be based on the report form the "Technician" I was not cover under the warranty guidelines. Very disappointing! Two different technician gave two different analysis. Warranty did not cover anything. Horrible service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The septic system is not easily owned by the people in the family but everybody is first to complain if something goes wrong. I make it a point to keep a monitoring check and call the Select team person if something is problematic. The technician on his last visit replaced a few rusty pipes and did some adjustments to keep the Septic system function smoothly. Thanks Select Home Warranty for supporting the preventive drive.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The refrigerator started making some high decibel sound whenever the compressor was running. We tried to look behind the refrigerator but could not make out anything. The Select technician replaced the anti-vibration rubber mount and the noise was gone. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Everyone has been so sweet and helpful when I made my claim for a roof leak. It's a flat roof and when we had really heavy rain I had a pool of water in my bedroom. I was really stressed, but claims told me not to worry and had a roof specialist at my house the next morning! Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

My additional AC unit is installed in the study. When it broke down I looked at the home warranty contract and was relieved to find that it was covered. The blower fan motor had burnt down and the visiting service technician recommended a replacement. Thanks are due to Select Home Warranty which approved the same and the motor was delivered the next day.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I submitted a claim in September prior to Labor Day 2017. Today's date is 30 September. To date, Select has yet to service my claim. They are a fraud front company. The first "contractor" they assigned was an unlicensed laborer. As was the second. It's now the end of the month and still... Nothing. Select will do whatever they can to avoid servicing claims. It is in your best interest to pay a little more and buy a home warranty from a real company.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I had a good conversation with the salesperson regarding the Select Home Warranty. I had a microwave breakdown where I had to spend $300 on its repair. A colleague who had a similar breakdown had spent $45 on service and including its parts. I have now taken the Select Home warranty for one year.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I got some early warning signs from my septic system and informed the Select Home Warranty office. They agreed to get it checked. Despite a three day gap in the arrival of the technician his visit was worth it. He not only discovered the flaw but also removed it. I am happy with the results.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I faced an electrical shut down in a part of my home one morning. The fuse also blew off on replacement. This prompted me to lodge a complaint with the claims department. The electrician found an internal short circuit and cleared it to restore the power supply. The Platinum care plan worked well.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Something got stuck in the garbage disposal and the stink was bad. Got the Claims department to treat it as an emergency and they sent the technician on the next day. It took him 4 hours to get to the stuck bag but the stink was gone immediately after. Fresh air finally once again. Thanks Select.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I was trying to find the right home service company, when I came across the salesperson of this home warranty company. Of all the good points that he described about the services, I was most impressed with the expertise of the technicians and the response time. I verified that through the reviews and it did not take much time for me to finalize this company for home service.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I cherish my stand alone freezer and I was pretty upset when it stopped cooling. Thanks to Home Service, it was repaired and put back into working mode within a day. The service technician not only diagnosed the fault correctly but also repaired it in a short time.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I like the retro look and that is why I have some classic ceiling fans in most of the rooms. One of them suddenly slowed down and I had no idea as to what had happened. The Home Service electrician came in the afternoon of the next day. Luckily for me it was only a condenser failure and was replaced. The charges for the service fee and condenser were $50 only. Thanks to Home Warranty for providing the genuine service.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I requested service for a clothes washer. When spoke with company rep they said would get back to me within 48 hours with repair company. I waited 72 hours and called back to be told they were still working on finding a company. A company was finally assigned only when calling them to find out when could come out. They told me did not service my area. The second company they assigned it to was no longer doing business with. The third company did not come on day they said would be here and gave me excused for why did not and why had not returned my numerous calls. I gave them 3 dates I could meet them at my house and none worked for them. I called several times after that with no response. I finally found a local repairman in my area; after waiting 6+ weeks for Select to get someone to repair clothes washer, which was 6-10 years old that had part-time retired owners before I bought the house almost a year ago.

The washer is a top of line Maytag front loading washer that currently list for $2000. The cost to repair could be up to $700. The authorization department was to get back to me within 48 hours on repairing it. Once again I waited almost a week for response with numerous calls being made so could go ahead with repairs. The authorization department denied get the washer fixed as said was too much monies to put into a washer and offered me $200 to replace a lightly used $2000 clothes washer. After calling in to find out if this was a joke and to get them to give me an acceptable offer at buyout no one has called back. I always get customer service representative that says they are busy and either they or supervisor will get back. Did not happen so e-mailed them and got a ticket number with reply stating would be back to me within 48 hours. As I write this it has been 5 days without a reply even after sending second e-mail 48 hours later.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I paid over $1,600 for 5-year policy (plus a bonus of another 12 months - So, I was expecting 6 years policy coverage). 31 months into it, I was trying to file a claim, all of a sudden I was told that for whatever reason, they don't have a service in my area anymore and they have to cancel my policy. They refunded my check in the amount of $173. What?!?! 31 months out of 60 months (5 years) is about half and my refund check isn't even close. They said it's in the contract where when I purchased it, the monthly cost is $27.08 (discount). But if it's canceled, it'll be counted as $41.67 per month. It doesn't matter who cancel it. As long as it's canceled, this is the policy.

On top of that, they charge $75 cancellation fee. What?!?! They canceled it and I have to pay for the cancellation fee? How can they get away with this? They canceled on me, and they use the same policy as if I cancel on them? I called them for explanation and give them a chance to get this right. And they refused to do anything about it. Apparently this is how they scam people. I understand if they have to cancel my policy if for some reasons they can't have contractor in my area. That's fine. But at no fault of my own, I lost my policy and didn't get my money back? I expect to get $800 refunded (about half of what I paid). That's all I ask for - fairness.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

My garbage disposal had got stuck. The technician on call had to struggle for 4 hours to get it working again. Tough call but carried out well. The garbage disposal is now working smoothly. Having a home warranty really came in handy and support was very kind on the phone.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

On a day when it was raining heavily I noticed water mark at the corner of the ceiling of the bedroom. I observed it closely in the broad daylight and the roof leak was confirmed. I rang up claims department and told them of the status. The masonry expert was there the very next day. He first cleaned the roof area above the patch and applied the sealant to plug the leak and then placed the tile back in position. The leakage patch started reducing and the wetness was gone in 10 days leaving only a soiled look. The home warranty team got a paint touch up done at no extra cost. All I paid was $60 for the masonry expert fee.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I paid a fee of $45 for the technician and for the central heating system that I got repaired under my home warranty contract very recently. A similar repair from the outside market almost a year back had cost me $800. I consider it a saving of just that.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

This company is a joke and should be investigated for fraud. Please make sure that you read every paragraph of the terms and conditions of the contract and do not listen to their sales pitch as it does not represent what they really cover and will pay for. I bought this warranty when I purchased my house in October 2016 and paid $500 for the platinum service and then paid another $200 for an additional year.

My washer went out in August 2017 so I called Select Warranty and after multiple calls they sent somebody out and I had to pay $45 which I thought was reasonable. The service company determine the repair would cost $600 and that the warranty company would most likely offer money towards a new washer. That is exactly what happened after six phone calls to Select Warranty. They finally offered $75 for the washer, what a joke! So after paying the appliance repair company $45 they were very generous to offer me $75 which left me $30 for my LG Front Loading Washer. Again this company is terrible, the customer service was terrible, their attitude was terrible so Buyer Beware --- stay away from Select Home Warranty.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

It has been over a month since my washer started leaking water. After a dozen or more calls and promises, Select Home Warranty can't find me a service worker. Their message as I quote, "I am sorry to inform you that we cannot help you with the repair on your clothes." My reviews. One customer service agent was nice. The others hung up on me or never followed up in the three weeks. 2nd Constantly going over my clause and stating it's not their fault and it states. But it states if the repairman is busy Select Home Warranty did their share and isn't at fault. In this case, they can't find any contractor. 3 Hanging up on me when I call or asking me to find my own repairman.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

We pick the water for the house from the well with the help of the well pump. We hurriedly called the claims department to get the pump back in operation. Sensing the emergency the technician was sent on an urgent basis. The wiring to the pump had short circuited and was replaced. Soon the pump was running as if nothing had happened. Thank you for the speedy response and repair.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We had an unsuccessful claim with SELECT HOME WARRANTY (SHW). When the compressor in our 4-ton AC unit went out, we filed a claim with SHW. They responded by continuous delays imposing "allow 24 to 48 hours for our response". We were forced to find our own contractor to return to fully operational the AC system for our home (the house is a vacation home for transient lodging). They approved our contractor to evaluate but after eight days of delay they restated that they will send their contractor to evaluate. Their technician never called or came to our property. After two weeks dealing with Select Home Warranty we were forced to proceed with the repairs on our own cost. We asked to be reimbursed for part of our expense.

At this point they asked for maintenance records for the last three years. We provided them with the invoices from the HVAC certified contractors which provided the service. At this point they restarted to delay on unnecessary technicalities such as providing a certain style of maintenance records. When we asked them for detailed description of their requirement, they never responded. Whatever the HVAC-certified maintenance contractor provides was never sufficient. We are faced with following a legal action or with resignation of our claim. Very unprofessional attitude of the insurance company discouraged us of dealing with the insurance. We cannot positively recommend to anybody services of such dishonorable entities.

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I was a customer with this company for years and every time I have submitted a claim they give me the runaround and I pay the 45 deductible and they don't fix anything. Their technicians are incompetent and they do not even speak kindly about the company. Do not use them to protect your home items.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Suddenly there was a deluge of disposable crockery in the home. The reason for this build up was the dishwasher was not working. We called Select Home Warranty about or warrant claims office. I had to get the ball rolling. The technician found and fixed the fault. A part had to be replaced and luckily the technician was carrying a spare.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I had three breakdowns in the last year and this year I had none. Still I bought another year from Select Home Warranty as I feel that I am in safe hands and the previous year they did not let me down. I hope they help me retain my confidence with my home appliances.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I had suffered for a full one year with another company. They were very slow to respond and had very limited technicians available. I had to wait and follow up to get the technician out to my home and then do an unsatisfactory job. I recently switched to this home warranty company and I am finding everything up to the mark. The service is very prompt and there is a battery of trained technicians available. I must say it has been a very good change!

Select Home Warranty Company Information