Call toll free
4.24/5
Based on 3,929 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Select Home warranty provides AC, heat, and appliance coverage, a 30-day free trial period, and a low monthly cost. Contact us today to work with a best-in-service company to protect your home.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

03/12/2019

Fast response and repair on our furnace during some wicked weather. Professional service that explained what the problem was and fixed it and gave recommendations of what service we should to do in the future to keep it functioning well.

03/12/2019

Our dryer suddenly started giving out a burning smell and was not drying clothes. Select Warranty was really quick in dispatching a mechanic. They worked according to my schedule, explained the issue to me and left only after I was fully satisfied.

Select Home Warranty plans

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for home warranty coverage and is available in 45 states. California, Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from Select’s service area.

• Bronze Care: Covers eight major home appliances
  • Gold Care: Covers six major home systems
  • Platinum Care: Combination plan covering both appliances and systems. Includes items not covered by either the Bronze or Gold plans, like garage door openers and plumbing stoppages.

Select Home Warranty cost

Select Home Warranty’s rates are competitive and slightly lower than average, with customers paying around $40 per month for the service. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s reduced rate of $45–$60 per service call fee is lower than the industry average of $75.

Average monthly costService call fee
Bronze Care$36$45–$60
Gold Care$36$45–$60
Platinum Care$42$45–$60
* Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

Select Home Warranty coverage

Depending on which plan you choose, Select Home Warranty has coverage options to cover most major household appliances and systems. They also offer customizable add-ons, including roof coverage, which is available for free during certain promotional periods. Roof coverage is not provided by all home warranty companies, so that coverage is certainly a competitive advantage in Select’s favor. Roof coverage applies to leaks only and does not extend to patios.

Bronze Care:

• Microwave (built-in)
  • Refrigerator
  • Stove/oven
  • Washer/dryer

Additional coverage is available for a fee:

• Plumbing fixtures
  • Septic system coverage
  • Refrigerator’s ice maker

6986 Select Home Warranty Consumer Reviews

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: April 5, 2019

After returning home from an extended trip visiting family, I found my kitchen faucet would leak profusely at its base when turned on. Please note that when my original home warranty coverage provided by the seller of my home purchased in July of 2017 was nearing the end of its term I decided to look for another warranty service. My research led me to speak with a Select Home Warranty sales representative, signing up that very day. Order ** would become my first service request and although a tad bit worried about what contractors would be on their provider list in this small city of rural So. Oregon, I was extremely happy that Grants Pass Plumbing was one of them. Complete confidence and satisfaction... no worries there.

As for SHW, well all I can say is they have proven from the moment I contacted them via phone that I need not have worried... Kudos SHW! Customer Service Representatives, beginning with the fine young man who handled my claim initiation to those who contacted me by email, text and phone message, keeping me updated of the chain's progress... all within a 24 hour time frame. I do not exaggerate! Placed call into SHW at approximately 3:30am PST. G.P. Plumbing calls me at 4:42pm and schedules an appointment for 1:00 pm the following day. They turn in their findings and recommendations to SWH and I receive confirmation of what is and is not covered very same day. No worries, no stress, prompt and efficient resolution to my problem and no complaints.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

July 31, 2018, the Condenser at my home died during Texas 100+ heatwave. Because I had not been given actual Receipts listing Servicing of the unit fall & spring for the previous 2 years, as required by Select Home Warranty; my claim was denied. However, after negotiating with the Claims department they offered to pay $250.00 toward the costs I would have to pay to replace my unit. I had turned in All the copies of Service Receipts I had been given by the service companies I had used. I am retired and on SS Income and took time and received quotes for Condenser replacement versus replacing the total system installed by the builder in 1999. The children and me after seeking quotes from 4 companies made the decision I should just replace the Condenser and that was done on August 1, 2018, the day I moved back into my house. I immediately sent in copies of Condenser purchase and Installment Receipts.

In January reviewing my documents for tax filing... I realized I had not ever received the payment from Select. I immediately filed a request for payment again, but not hearing back from them I contacted them again when my garage door opener went out in March. John in customer service issued a NEW Ticket referencing the old and today I just received an email that they are Honoring my Claim and paying me the $250.00. It might not seem like much but living on Social Security this pays 5 months of my Warranty service with the company. And also confirms Select Home Warranty's commitment to their Clients. I had been shopping for another provider, but I now will be staying a loyal client. Thank you Select and your employees for being there for us when we need you. Blessings.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Broken dryer. The customer service agent was very polite and understanding. Couldn’t ask for more. Hopefully the rest runs as smoothly! This specific claim is still in its infancy. So if follow through is acceptable then I will be a customer for life. We had an electric fire in our attic, thank God that we were at home when it started. I have a very touchy nose and I could smell burning almost immediately, we called Select immediately and 3 days later after my husband had pulled the breaker in question I was given a name of an electrician that was not even licensed in our state!!! When I brought this up to the agent I was transferred to the authorization dept. I was told that they are extremely busy and I could find my own electrician!! I waited 2 weeks without power to part of my house.

Finally after checking with authorization again I contacted the local electrician not even 1 block away. He came in and diagnosed the problem. Contacted Select they asked him the cost he told them that depended if he had to go through walls etc. Not good enough! After calling while the electrician was here and taking the phone to him while working to get my electrical to work they told me they would have to get back to me 4 days later after the electrician was done and gone I had a decision. No payment was going to be made!!! Now I’m paying a $600.00 bill and paying a warranty company that I’m not sure will work for me!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had a home warranty since the purchase of my home. Unfortunately, I was not pleased and cancelled at the end of my contract. Due diligence was done seeking an alternate home warranty. I received a call from Abraham, listened intently and informed him I wanted to do more research on his company. During my research I had someone else from Select call me, and I became annoyed because I informed Abraham once I did my research "I" would call him back. During my research I called Select to ask a question, and the salesperson did not have an answer, yet seemed more concerned about getting the business, and not listening to the customer. If he had, he would have found out the answer to my question.

Several days later I reached out to Abraham, requesting a call from him during a certain timeframe. When I heard from Abraham I explained my experiences I had with his organization. The outcome of my experience with Abraham, I agreed to give Select a try, and considering an extended warranty. He was very professional, and I was able to articulate the value of your organization in my mind, due to the due diligence I had done with several home warranty companies. My mind was made up prior to talking with Abraham to go with another company. Kudos to Abraham. Now that I'm a customer, I'm hopeful my expectations will be met in the event I have a claim. Retention is key. The questions are geared for the "sign on" experience.

Original review: July 2, 2018

For about the past week I have been going back and forth with Daniel ** about a new service policy with Select Home Warranty. Most of our contact has been through email. When I initially spoke with Daniel, I hung up on him because he had nothing to say that I wanted to hear. Daniel followed up with an email to me and mentioned that I hung up before he was able to offer me an incentive. That right there told me that Daniel really wanted to gain me as a customer of Select Home Warranty. I had a million questions for Daniel after that and emailed him many, many times with those questions. Daniel offered me a deal I couldn't beat and assured me that we would not be left hanging if we ever filed a claim, because he said we could use our own contractor if we wanted and SHW would make sure they were licensed and bonded and SHW would deal with them and set everything up from that point forward.

What a relief. Thanks to Daniel for his professionalism and persistence. He is truly an asset to SHW and was a pleasure to deal with. And thanks to him for his patience and thorough answers to all of my questions. Hopefully, we will not have to file any claims but I feel confident that if we do, they will be handled in a timely manner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: June 25, 2019

I have had my contract with you for over a year. I live in an area that your company has no assigned service vendors so I find my own and work it with you. I'm very impressed with your company. The only thing that I'm not too happy about is the long delay in refunding my out of pocket expenses. I would be happy to talk to someone about this. Since I am retired and on a fixed income, it is very stressful to have cash tied up for 30 or more days. Quicker would be better.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Rep. was very prompt and helpful. Was able to submit another claim while following up on initial claim. Wasn’t aware that two repair items could not be placed on same claim. All questions were answered. Was not kept on telephone for a very long time. Email was sent to confirm initial claim asking me to contact office and another email submitted in a timely manner after the follow up was processed. Was very impressed with the manner in which the whole experience was handled.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Alan ** was very professional, informative and made the process a piece of cake. Almost all communication was able to be done via email. The phone call to officially enroll lasted all of 5 minutes and was a breeze. In all honesty Select is not the cheapest, but I am happy to pay a little more for quality customer service. Fingers crossed things go as well if an issue arises. I guess only time will tell.

Original review: June 25, 2019

As a real estate investment company we have utilized other home warranty companies with our various properties throughout the USA. In researching Select they came with good recommendations, so we decided to get a quote. The quote response time was fast, our representative David reached out immediately, he offered the various packages along with a long term 5 year package that we decided was a great option. We received overall professional service on establishing our account.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Representative was nice and professional and answered all my questions well. My claim was processed with an email update sent the same day stating my reimbursement amount. I was a bit disappointed that the microwave had to be replaced though without an attempt to repair. My microwave was 20 months old and I was only given $95 towards a new one which cost over $300 with warranty (on sale) plus it would have been $130 for Lowe’s to install but I opted to install myself. The company did well; I just didn’t expect to ever have to come out of pocket more than my $45 deductible.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I tried filing a claim online but could not find my policy number. Therefore I called because there was water leaking from the ceiling through a ceiling fan. I could not find my policy number. The agent was expedient and helpful both in identifying my plan number and placing a service request. He indicated someone should be contacting me as soon as possible with information about the service company and the date and time they would be coming to identify and repair the problem.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I was very pleased with the sign in process. I reviewed multiple companies and reviews by customers and the industry and feel this was the best. I signed up for 6 years so I can get the discounted rate which wasn't advertised but was a welcome surprise. The coverages and claims process were explained well. Select Home Warranty covers more than my previous policy with a competitor. I hope the claims process is as impressive, when it is time.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had placed my first major claim and the SHW service was a smooth and rapid process. The contractor responded quickly to repair my issue even prior to quoted day and time. The contractor was professional and fix the issue quickly. I was more than please and would certainly thank SHW for their support and assurance of me selecting a reliable home warranty service. My system has stopped working right at the pre-season of summer and I was about to panic without have AC to cool the home; I contacted SHW and they replied and took care of me without incident. I recommend this service to everyone and wish to thank the SHW staff for providing such wonderful service of value and quality.

Original review: June 25, 2019

The rep went out of his way to help me with the discount for my transaction. He was very friendly and helpful with explaining the service. He gave me the confidence to complete the transaction with the details he communicated about the service. I would recommend Select Home Warranty to my friends and neighbors.. I would like a booklet with the terms the rep covered in his conversation with me. Also would like magnet with the phone number.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Sam **, our Sales Representative, quoted a home warranty for us about a week ago and helped us get enrolled this evening. He was very patient and helpful in answering all our questions. He also told us about discounts available, and he was very courteous. We are going to refer 2 other people we know looking to purchase a home warranty. We look forward to working with your company for many more years to come.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I just left a warranty company that I paid more for far less. When I looked into Select Home Warranty company, I was contacted immediately. William ** was my rep and he was helpful and knowledgable. He had lots of great offers and made sure I was getting the most for my money. I was happy to have someone who was able to get me signed up easily and quickly. I asked questions and he was able to answer all of them. He made sure I was getting what I wanted and wasn't missing out additional options for my home.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Asking questions about the coverage, about the service providers. If they were in my area. What you covered in the contract. If I was able to renew contract. If I was able to change to paying full price after a month or two of paying monthly. If it had limited service calls? Local technicians? I asked it was BBB RATED. All these things were important to me and they passed. And service cost were only $45.00 per breakdown, no matter how many times a repairman had to come out for same issue, including parts and labor.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I called to speak with someone about a home warranty. The rep that answered didn’t want to verbally go over the coverages in its entity. He suggested that I go online and look over the choices available to me. Next thing I know, the call was disconnected. I called back and Jeff answered the phone and was patient and kind and went over and explained the policy to me. Not only did I open a policy but I paid it for the year. There’s nothing better than a good salesperson who not only knows their job but also does it well. I informed him that I needed to get something from my car and he patiently waiting for me to get back on the line. No rush and he didn’t tell me to look online and call back. I really appreciate his kindness. You don’t find people like him much these days. I’m one happy customer. My customer service rate is the whole 5 stars.

Original review: June 25, 2019

The salesman was courteous and knowledgeable. He offered me discounts that were hard to resist, and even though I was not ready to order at the initial meeting he made a follow up call that showed me he was very interested in my business. I received the contract in an expeditious manner. I would gladly refer him to anyone looking to obtain a homeowners warranty. So far I am very satisfied with my interaction with this company. GREAT JOB, JEFF. GOOD SERVICE, GREAT PRICE.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I was trying to purchase a home warranty and was very frustrated. It’s like Allan read my mind. He called me and helped me get just what I needed. Allan was very knowledgeable and helpful. It gives me some peace of mind knowing that my house will be covered. I’m in the process of getting the house ready to rent. I know that everything will be good with the future tenants. I’m thinking about getting another warranty for my other house. I got a great deal on this warranty.

Original review: June 24, 2019

After 25 years with another company, we were displeased at their interpretation of our problem, so we cancelled our policy and followed up on our sister's recommendation of Select Home Warranty. We were lucky enough to talk to David, who walked us through discounts and cost saving plans until we had a custom made plan we could afford. He was kind, considerate, and extremely patient with us and made the entire experience very pleasant. Hoping not to need to use it, we feel assured that this will be a better experience.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Was satisfied with the offer salesperson offered. Look forward to working with you. I hope I can get a good mechanic who has a license to do the required job and dont have to worry about shoddy job. If I get good service, I may recommend your services to my friends as well. This is gated community and we have 175 home in our association, mostly retired people and need all the helps they can.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Called and spoke to Elli and she gave me options to get this issue resolved! Great job guys!!! My HVAC unit was not blowing hot air, and the folks at Select Home gave me the peace of mind to avoid all the extra costs associated with this repair. I'm hoping to get a new unit either this year or next and will still continue to get my home services by this company. I've had SHW for over 3 years now and I couldn't be happier with them. This will be my 2nd home that I've had covered by SHW.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Customer service team is very helpful and acted fast. Personally recommend this warranty. Dispatch team sent the technician within 12 hours after I created the ticket. Personally thanks to Select Home Warranty team. I am very happy with the service they provided. I personally recommend to my other friends and relatives. My top ratings for this service claim. And also I got the first time free service. Thanks again to the home warranty service team.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Jeff answered all my questions on the home warranty and what is covered. I also like that I am part of the decision on the repair person. I researched several companies on who to chose. I selected Select Home Warranty due to their coverage including our stand alone freezer. We will be canceling our other home warranty plan. The online information was easy to understand. The only thing I didn't like is that I couldn't see the plan information without giving them all my information. I would have preferred looking through the plans before giving them my information.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Jeff ** made the process very easy and gave me a great discount! I Would sign up again and feel very confident that they will take great care of us. It’s nice to have that reassurance going into our new home. Thank you again Jeff!

Original review: June 24, 2019

David ** was very kind and personable. He answered all my questions and was very helpful. And was very friendly. I was happy to see more items covered than the other 3 places I was looking at. The whole process was very easy and fast! Since being in the process of buying my house nothing has been easy, until this. I would definitely refer friends and family. And pretty much everyone I know! This experience was almost too easy. Thank you.

Original review: June 24, 2019

The Representative that I spoke with seemed genuinely interested in resolving my issue. Select will be getting a repair person To contact me to arrange a day and time to make the repair. I was contacted by the repair company the same day I placed my service call and we will be setting up a date and time later today. I have not had a warranty with Select Home Warranty before and I am very hopeful that they stand behind their warranty.

Original review: June 24, 2019

After doing research on multiple vendors, Home Warranty seems to provide the best value. The annual cost and service fees are very competitive while still providing coverage of the major appliances. They have several promotions and payment methods which is helpful. Abraham ** was excellent! He was able to answer all of my questions and was very responsive. I am confident that my policy will provide the necessary coverage for my home. I will gladly refer Select Home Warranty and Abraham to my friends.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Mark was very helpful in assisting me in renewing my home warranty contract. He was very helpful in helping me to understand the renewal and the different options I could choose. I appreciate the added benefits and his explanation when I asked questions. I am happy that I was able to renew for 3 years and get an extra 6 months in doing so. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I have a warranty intact in case there are any issues in my condo. Thank you.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify they do not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
  • Door handles
  • Doors
  • Hinges
  • Knobs and buttons
  • Door seals
  • Freon
  • Damage from a freon leak
  • Displays
  • Valves
  • Dispensers
  • Installation
  • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for their coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most they will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in their contract:

ItemCoverage limit
Heating and cooling$2,000
Electrical$500
Appliances$500
Add-on items$400
Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty claims

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or submit a claim online.
  2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. If the repair is covered by your warranty, the repair will be made at the cost of Select, less your service call fee (typically $45 or $60, depending on your plan).

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain timeframe. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out. We’d love to see a service recall period, but keeping in mind that Select offers some of the lowest service call fees in the industry, the trade-off may be worth it.

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No. Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase their service. There is also no maximum age of your home’s systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time of purchasing the warranty contract.

How do I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Cancel your warranty within 30 days of ordering for a full refund less a $75 cancellation fee. With special permission from Select, you may be able to cancel your warranty after the initial 30-day period. In the event a late cancellation is permitted, you will be refunded a pro-rated amount for the remainder of your contract term.

Is Select Home Warranty worth it?

Select Home Warranty is one of the more affordable home warranties we’ve seen, both in monthly cost and service call fees. Their plans cover all basic needs when it comes to household appliances and major systems. While there are some stricter terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service, most homeowners will want to act fast when a problem occurs, so we don’t see this being a major deterrent.

Select Home Warranty Company Information