4.2/5 (585 ratings)
Starts at $75
Call Center Open

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

Pros

• Discounts available
    • 30-day trial period
    • 24/7 claims number

Cons

• Not available nationwide
    • Some claims denied

Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for coverage. It works with a large network of local repair professionals. Coverage limits are lower than some other companies, but the company also charges less per month.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Verified

… The price seemed great for all the services that are covered. I got the platinum package and I would recommend to any new homeowner for peace of mind to know that it will be a f...

Verified

Just started the warranty service with Select Home Warranty. Good service to get the service started. Starting with positive vibe on the policy. The service person Greg did a good...

Select Home Warranty coverage

Select Home Warranty has three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care and Platinum Care. Bronze Care covers eight major home appliances, and Gold Care covers six major home systems. Platinum Care combines the plans and adds coverage for plumbing stoppages, garage door openers and ceiling fans. Roof coverage is available for free during certain promotional periods.

Bronze Care plan
    • Electrical system
    • Water heater
    • Ductwork
    Platinum Care plan
    The Platinum Care plan combines the Bronze and Gold plans and adds three additional items, for a total of 17 coverages:
    • AC and cooling
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling fan
    • Plumbing stoppage

Select Home Warranty prices

Select Home Warranty’s rates range from $42 per month to $49 per month. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s trade services fees start at $75.

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain time frame. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify it does not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
    • Door handles
    • Doors
    • Hinges
    • Knobs and buttons
    • Door seals
    • Freon
    • Damage from a freon leak
    • Displays
    • Valves
    • Dispensers
    • Installation
    • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for its coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions, which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most the company will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in the contract:

ItemCoverage limit
    Heating and cooling$2,000
    Electrical$500
    Appliances$500
    Add-on items$400
    Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Where is Select Home Warranty available?

Select Home Warranty is available in 47 states. Nevada, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from the company’s service area.

How do I file a claim with Select Home warranty?

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or email, or submit a claim online.
    2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days if you make the claim during a weekend or holiday).
    3. You pay a service call fee to the contractor (starting at $75).
    4. If the repair is covered by your warranty, Select covers the rest of the cost.
    Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase coverage. There is also no maximum age of home systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time you enroll in the plan.

Can I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Yes, you can cancel your warranty. However, expect to pay a $75 cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after signing up.

Is Select Home Warranty good?

Select Home Warranty has a good overall customer satisfaction rating. Plans cover all major household appliances and systems. The inclusion of roof coverage gives Select an advantage over competitors. However, there are some strict terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service. This means that homeowners will want to act fast when an issue comes up.

Select Home Warranty Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2013

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I was promptly contacted by Peter via text and email after submitting an online inquiry. I did have some trouble figuring out when to call back, as email responses were vague, so I just called and happen to speak directly to him. He was helpful. He did initially quote the same price I had seen online but when I said, "well, it says on your website to call about additional discounts," he said, "Yes, I can offer you another 10% off." Additionally, they will offer 5 and 10 year plans, maybe others, in which you can lock in your price and those are less by a few hundred dollars. Since I just ordered today, I am hoping the services and subcontracted technicians are decent, b/c if they are not, then I'm locked into a contract for several more years.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

Mr J. ** did an outstanding job in getting the the best warranty coverage for my home. I talked with 5 different warranty companies, Jonathan is the only one that was upfront with me. He wasn't just trying to sell me a warranty, what I needed to ensure I was covered at all bases. We have a saying in the Navy, "WELL DONE" when someone goes above and beyond what was required, Jonathan did. I'm so thankful that I got him when I called back. Believe me when I say, I'm going to pass on to my Navy Shipmates and others that own home, the SUPER JOB he did for this retired Navy guy. If I was still working the in civilian world, I would hire him in a heartbeat, no question asked. Please pass on to Jonathan, Job Well Done..

Regards,

Grant M. **

Original review: June 22, 2022

I debated whether or not to renew or try another company. After talking to the agent (he was very nice) I figured I'd give them another year. My last call for service was stressful when I was told I need an electrician, (for my stove/oven) and I knew I did not. All their electricians were busy so I had to bring in one that is a friend and had worked on the outlet that was in question. He tested it again and let your company know that there was nothing wrong with it. This then allowed the other company to come out. Unfortunately we needed my oven for a wedding cake so I just bought a new oven. I did not trust the company that came out. It seemed they weren't very knowledgeable or were just lazy.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Service Plus' intake representative was courteous and informative. An appointment was scheduled for the next week, according to a service business. Eduardo, the technician, arrived on time and performed admirably. After troubleshooting, I had to replace my garbage disposal. Rather than having the guy order a replacement from an unknown manufacturer (I had a badger), I volunteered to provide a new replacement disposal, so all the tech had to do was remove the old one and replace it with the new universal fitting one. He got permission from Service Plus to do so, and the installation went off without a hitch. This prevented a second visit, and Service Plus incurred no costs for the replacement garbage disposal since, when the contract comes up for renewal, they keep track of the total cost of this service call and any others made during the contract period in order to establish the new contract's cost.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I was searching for a home warranty plan that would fit my needs without breaking my pockets. I have used American Home Shield and Choice warranty in the past. I inquired about Select Home warranty and also noted their great reviews. I signed up online and lucky for me I made a mistake with my address and received a call from Jake **. He worked with my schedule. I was in class at the time so we were emailing back and forth.

When I finally was able to speak with he asked if I was a veteran. He stopped and was told me there was a better opportunity and plan available for me because of my service. Boy did it save me money. I am not cover just covered for 1 year but 3 years! And I received months free for paying in full!!!! I already know this is going to be a great experience. Thanks Jake **!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

DO NOT CONTRACT THIS COMPANY. IT IS A SCAM. They claim to repair or replace your appliances or repair your home electrical, water, HVAC systems with only a $60 dollar fee after paying over $10,000 for the membership. Then they do nothing. They are non-responsive and when you get someone on the phone, they speak a very limited English. There is no supervisors that you can talk to. No return call when they promise to do so. No urgency in handling your issue. Every claim I submitted was denied. Even when it was within their standards. I had to file several complaints with the BBB to get their attention. Even so, the resolution was not satisfactory. DO NOT BUY SERVICES FROM THIS COMPANY: SELECT HOME WARRANTY.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Do yourself a favor and avoid this company!!! I have had the plan for 2 yrs now. Took the Premium plan that is supposed to cover everything. They will lure you in with discounts to lower yearly premiums, talk you into a multi year plan, then deny every claim. They use very deceitful advertising. NOTHING, no repairs are covered. They find a way out of every claim.

First year was a toilet tank leak. First claim was denied. They stated they don't cover leaks. What good is this plan for plumbing if they do not cover leaks?? Fought that one and won but took 5 days get someone out to fix the toilet tank. 2nd claim. They specifically state on their website water heaters are covered. This is not true. Early one morning the expansion on my water ruptured and I had to turn off the water to the house. I submitted a claim. They immediately denied the claim stating they do not cover leaks again. I disputed the claim. 7 days later I was still waiting for a plumber. NO water for 7 days.

Hired my own plumber to come replace the tank. Bill 495$. Submitted to them for reimbursement. Claim denied again. I disputed that. Then they offered me 200$. I have disputed that. It's a scam. I have read from others that they promise you can cancel after 1st year and they will refund the remaining years but will deduct any claims you have made. Again this company is a scam and should be shut down.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I was contacted by a sales representative after inquiring about the service contracts. I made it clear to the sales representative that my current service contract expired in December 2022, so the Select agreement needed to specify a start date of January 1, 2023. I paid upfront for the annual contract, and when I received the agreement via email, it had a start date of 11/15/2023. I sent an email to the sales rep who sold me the service and asked him to revise it. His attitude completely changed from being kind and professional to rude and arrogant. This was a RED FLAG, so I notified my credit card company and filed a dispute. I called the billing dept. for Select and explained that the agreement needed to be revised or I would cancel. They emailed me a revised contract with the correct date.

I then called my credit card company to remove the dispute and paid the annual fee of $475, only to find out that the billing dept. canceled the contract because of the dispute right after I had a lengthy conversation with the associate in the billing dept. I called and spoke with a different associate in the billing dept early January and asked him to credit my card since the billing dept. or the dept. manager terminated the contract. I've called them three times from January 3 to January 13, 2023, asking reps in the billing dept. to please credit my card the annual fee of $475 that I paid in November 2022. Please do not do business with this organization. I'm very disappointed with their aggressive sales approach and poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

In our direct, multi-year experience with Select Home Warranty as customers, we could not ever recommend a company of this poor stature. They may be under the wrong impression that they do not have educated or decent people as customers. With that said, they have attempted to charge us for LABOR costs in addition to a regular copay costs. Meaning, for the item we needed to have repaired, it would have cost more than double the cost, just to go through Select Home Warranty, rather than your own contractor. Of course, this is certainly against any contractual agreement because a copay is all that contractually required for the item at hand, but they will certainly attempt to mislead first, fix later with great delays.

Not one representative we've encounter was from a US based call center and the mannerisms of their staff is awfully comfortable with pushing limits that may even warrant further review from an oversight agency within the state they operate. Bait and switch with contractual obligations then delay to fix certainly an appropriate motto that sums up their mismanagement of contracts for the unsuspecting public. We found their behavior and bold contract mismanagement to be a form of targeting - which American Seniors and vulnerable groups will fall prey to.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Do NOT use this company! I have had home warranties with all my new homes. This company is the absolute WORST! It takes an average of 50-60 minutes to actually speak to someone, located outside of the US, then when you get them they just read off a screen & are unable to answer any questions outside of what is on their screens. They never have any of their "contractors" available so after 5 days they will allow you to get your own BUT other company has to call Select to speak with the authorization department while in the home & prior to any work being completed. I have experienced this to take upwards to one hour minimum. No plumber, electrician, etc. is going to wait that long for approval. So they either leave or you pay & cross your fingers it will be reimbursed.

On my latest claim I had a sewer line break IN THE HOME, IN THE BATHROOM! On the invoice it specifically says inside excavation with specific wording of Excavation INSIDE, also description INTERIOR sewer replacement: -cut and remove concrete INSIDE to access drain line. When I had agent on phone to have him look at the invoice and verify it said INSIDE his response was "Ms. ** we hire professionals who know how to read these invoices." STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! If anyone else has had an issue like mine please report to Attorney General to file complaint and local BBB.

Select Home Warranty Company Information

1 International Blvd #400
      NJ
      selecthomewarranty.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: