2. Homeowners

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.29/5
Based on 3,196 ratings submitted in the last year

Select Home warranty provides AC, heat, and appliance coverage, a 30-day free trial period, and a low monthly cost. Contact us today to work with a best-in-service company to protect your home.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Fast response and repair on our furnace during some wicked weather. Professional service that explained what the problem was and fixed it and gave recommendations of what service we should to do in the future to keep it functioning well.

Our dryer suddenly started giving out a burning smell and was not drying clothes. Select Warranty was really quick in dispatching a mechanic. They worked according to my schedule, explained the issue to me and left only after I was fully satisfied.

Select Home Warranty Call Now Toll Free (949) 541-3362 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Select Home Warranty plans

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for home warranty coverage and is available in 45 states. California, Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from Select’s service area.

• Bronze Care: Covers eight major home appliances
  • Gold Care: Covers six major home systems
  • Platinum Care: Combination plan covering both appliances and systems. Includes items not covered by either the Bronze or Gold plans, like garage door openers and plumbing stoppages.

Select Home Warranty cost

Select Home Warranty’s rates are competitive and slightly lower than average, with customers paying around $40 per month for the service. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s reduced rate of $45–$60 per service call fee is lower than the industry average of $75.

Average monthly costService call fee
Bronze Care$36$45–$60
Gold Care$36$45–$60
Platinum Care$42$45–$60
* Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

Select Home Warranty coverage

Depending on which plan you choose, Select Home Warranty has coverage options to cover most major household appliances and systems. They also offer customizable add-ons, including roof coverage, which is available for free during certain promotional periods. Roof coverage is not provided by all home warranty companies, so that coverage is certainly a competitive advantage in Select’s favor. Roof coverage applies to leaks only and does not extend to patios.

Bronze Care:

• Microwave (built-in)
  • Refrigerator
  • Stove/oven
  • Washer/dryer

Additional coverage is available for a fee:

• Plumbing fixtures
  • Septic system coverage
  • Refrigerator’s ice maker

Select Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: May 29, 2020

I am having trouble getting an appliance repair technician out to my house to fix my clothes washer. However, all of your associates have been very helpful while attempting to resolve my issue. My washer stopped working a week ago. It was a three day weekend for Memorial Day. A repair company was dispatched Saturday, just a day after I filed a claim. So on Tuesday morning I tried contacting that company with no success. I called SHW & the person I spoke with successfully reached the repair company. The company owner ultimately said he would be at my house the next day. I had to call him the next day to confirm that he would get parts to repair the washer and he would call me back. No call came so I called him again and he told me the parts had to be shipped in from Dallas and could I wait till Thursday when the parts came in. I agreed.

Didn’t hear from him by 1:00pm Thursday so I called again. He said he would verify that the parts were in & call me right back. He didn’t call back. I spoke with SHW associate and she said that you would find another company. You are keeping me in the loop by email about the progress being made to dispatch another company. Y’all have been very attentive helping to resolve my issue but a week later, I am still without my washer. Very inconvenient. Thank you for the effort.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2020

We noticed an unusual warm spot in our ceramic tile along with a diminished amount of hot water, and the water heater running a lot -- all put together made us think we had a water leak in the floor. I was up late last night and called Select Home Warranty (instead of online form... it didn't allow for detail I wanted to provide). CSR took accurate information on the phone and gave me the standard response "someone locally will contact you within 24-48 hours".

This morning before 8AM I had an email with a contact number to call locally. When I called, I spoke with an answering service, but within 20 minutes the Duncan Heating/Air/Plumbing company in Lubbock called, where I spoke with the owner, Mr. Duncan. They changed their daily schedule to get their technician out early today (he was going out on a 2-day job... they rerouted his day's jobs). Kyle, the technician was very polite and efficient - found the leak in our system, and made the reports.

Sadly slab leaks aren't covered by Select Home Warranty, however, we are arranging to get that cared for by Duncan folks. Kyle left our system in operation today with plans for a team to come tomorrow to fix the leak. Select Home Warranty was speedy and efficient and friendly - did a good job of communicating throughout the process. I could recommend them for you if you're looking for a home warranty company. Understanding - they don't cover everything!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

Updated on I have been an customer since December of 2019. I think I have received a good value for the service and customer service has been very good. I recently had a claim for a garage door opener that will not operate as of May 2020. I made this claim on line and the Vendor scheduled with me an appointment within 24 hours. I had the issue start on May 1, submitted the claim on May 5, scheduled the appointment on May 6, and the technician appeared on May 8th. The claim process was okay and the approval was given on May 11. The assessment was to replace the unit rather than repair. I have the technician coming back on May 15th to complete the job.

My issue is that the claim requested states the problem started on March 1 so the claim pay was calculated based on within 3 months or only $150 rather than $400 which will cover the cost after my service fee. This is not accurate as I have not had the issue for 2 months but only 2 weeks. I called customer service to explain this and they are going to resubmit the claim for the higher amount which makes reasonable sense. If Select Home Warranty doesn't correct this oversight or entry error I will still be satisfied with them overall but unhappy with this decision.

Original Review: Very impressed with the quick response and customer service. Representative was very knowledgeable and helpful with great options and competitive pricing. Excellent value for coverage and happy with service. Thank you very much for the peace of mind you are providing. Select Home Warranty has given us confidence over the next year.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

After calling Select Home Warranty, I was assured that I would be receiving an appointment with a technician within 48 hours. I waited and waited, all the time with no garage door opener to use. After 40 hours I called back and was told they were working on setting up an appointment and would be hearing from them by the end of the day.

Finally, after 48 hours I call them again and was told I could contact my own technician and would need to call them when the technician arrived with an estimate for the cost of fixing the garage door so it could be approved before the work was done. My technician arrived, I called the select home warranty and was on hold for so long that the technician was finished and we were still waiting to talk to the person to approve the work being done. I was without a working garage door for several days. If I had been told at the beginning that I needed to contact my own technician it would have been fixed in less than 1 day. Door is fixed, I have sent my bill to select home warranty and just waiting for my reimbursement check.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Hazel was very courteous and polite when creating my claim. She spoke very clearly and was very efficient. Past experiences with coverage and contractors that Select uses have been difficult though. Contractors have misled us and even have lied to us, causing claims to be denied. Godfather Heating and Air stated the bearing seized causing the compressor to lock up (covered), but told Select that there was a short in the unit (Not covered). When our dishwasher stopped working Alliance Docs came out, disassembled the dishwasher to check the circuit board and left it that way. They did not answer or return my calls after.

25 Karat Pools did the same with the pool pump. When they did answer, I got yelled at and somehow turned it into my fault that my pool pump was left in pieces for a week. A-Plus Plumbing actually explained that water has to run downhill instead of fixing the plumbing issue. They did bandaid the problem many times. And Texas Pro Maintenance will only take cash, bad mouths Select at every opportunity, and will tell you that they can fix the issue (my refrigerator) without testing anything, and then tell Select that it is trash and can't be fixed. I realize that Select doesn't have control of the contractors' actions, but I assume that the contractors are vetted.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Dishwasher repair/Claim: Was told verbally that the process would be if approved the total repair costs or reimbursement invoice of new unit. They accepted the claim and then they changed their mind to only replacement value which is 1/10 of the costs. When they would send emails about response timeframes they were almost always outside of those timeframes and much slower to respond. They would dispatch people outside of my area, then the contractor would cancel and then SHW would not task another outfit. Ultimately, I had to look and find my own contractor after a week of hassling with SHW. This is actually my second bad experience with Select Home Warranty and would not recommend them.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I had a glass top stove that suffered a crack. I have attempted to secure a repair for over 6 weeks and have had no results. The company advised they could not locate any one to come to my area to complete repairs. I was advised it was my responsibility to locate someone have the repairs completed and pay for the repairs and they would do there best to repay me. I have asked to speak with supervisor and manager but I was advised they do not have any. I asked to cancel my contract and refund my money. I was advised they never refund money. I would stay away from this company.

Original review: June 30, 2020

The original response from Select Home warranty was made quickly, but confusing. I was not available to answer the phone and the voice message was given so rapidly that it took 8 tries to determine the telephone number to return. When I finally got that the response to my call was immediate and helpful.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I am a brand new first time homeowner. I knew it would be a good idea to make sure my house was protected. The agent patiently explained all the options available to me and answered of all my questions! Great to know I have coverage in the event of something unexpected.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Our dishwasher is now down. Contact with your phone representative was excellent. The call was answered immediately and the process to find a technician for this problem has begun promptly. She was knowledgeable and friendly. She made the process easy. She was very sympathetic to our needs and was able to help me even though I am handicapped and could not reach some information.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify they do not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
    • Door handles
    • Doors
    • Hinges
    • Knobs and buttons
    • Door seals
    • Freon
    • Damage from a freon leak
    • Displays
    • Valves
    • Dispensers
    • Installation
    • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for their coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most they will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in their contract:

ItemCoverage limit
    Heating and cooling$2,000
    Electrical$500
    Appliances$500
    Add-on items$400
    Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty claims

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or submit a claim online.
    2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days on weekends and holidays).
    3. If the repair is covered by your warranty, the repair will be made at the cost of Select, less your service call fee (typically $45 or $60, depending on your plan).

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain timeframe. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out. We’d love to see a service recall period, but keeping in mind that Select offers some of the lowest service call fees in the industry, the trade-off may be worth it.

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No. Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase their service. There is also no maximum age of your home’s systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time of purchasing the warranty contract.

How do I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Cancel your warranty within 30 days of ordering for a full refund less a $75 cancellation fee. With special permission from Select, you may be able to cancel your warranty after the initial 30-day period. In the event a late cancellation is permitted, you will be refunded a pro-rated amount for the remainder of your contract term.

Is Select Home Warranty worth it?

Select Home Warranty is one of the more affordable home warranties we’ve seen, both in monthly cost and service call fees. Their plans cover all basic needs when it comes to household appliances and major systems. While there are some stricter terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service, most homeowners will want to act fast when a problem occurs, so we don’t see this being a major deterrent.

Select Home Warranty Company Information