2. Homeowners

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.38/5
Based on 3,069 ratings submitted in the last year

Select Home warranty provides AC, heat, and appliance coverage, a 30-day free trial period, and a low monthly cost. Contact us today to work with a best-in-service company to protect your home.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Fast response and repair on our furnace during some wicked weather. Professional service that explained what the problem was and fixed it and gave recommendations of what service we should to do in the future to keep it functioning well.

Our dryer suddenly started giving out a burning smell and was not drying clothes. Select Warranty was really quick in dispatching a mechanic. They worked according to my schedule, explained the issue to me and left only after I was fully satisfied.

Select Home Warranty Call Now Toll Free (317) 754-6642 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Select Home Warranty plans

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for home warranty coverage and is available in 45 states. California, Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from Select’s service area.

• Bronze Care: Covers eight major home appliances
  • Gold Care: Covers six major home systems
  • Platinum Care: Combination plan covering both appliances and systems. Includes items not covered by either the Bronze or Gold plans, like garage door openers and plumbing stoppages.

Select Home Warranty cost

Select Home Warranty’s rates are competitive and slightly lower than average, with customers paying around $40 per month for the service. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s reduced rate of $45–$60 per service call fee is lower than the industry average of $75.

Average monthly costService call fee
Bronze Care$36$45–$60
Gold Care$36$45–$60
Platinum Care$42$45–$60
* Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

Select Home Warranty coverage

Depending on which plan you choose, Select Home Warranty has coverage options to cover most major household appliances and systems. They also offer customizable add-ons, including roof coverage, which is available for free during certain promotional periods. Roof coverage is not provided by all home warranty companies, so that coverage is certainly a competitive advantage in Select’s favor. Roof coverage applies to leaks only and does not extend to patios.

Bronze Care:

• Microwave (built-in)
  • Refrigerator
  • Stove/oven
  • Washer/dryer

Additional coverage is available for a fee:

• Plumbing fixtures
  • Lawn sprinkler system
  • Septic system coverage
  • Refrigerator’s ice maker

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify they do not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
  • Door handles
  • Doors
  • Hinges
  • Knobs and buttons
  • Door seals
  • Freon
  • Damage from a freon leak
  • Displays
  • Valves
  • Dispensers
  • Installation
  • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for their coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most they will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in their contract:

ItemCoverage limit
Heating and cooling$2,000
Electrical$500
Appliances$500
Add-on items$400
Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty claims

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or submit a claim online.
  2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. If the repair is covered by your warranty, the repair will be made at the cost of Select, less your service call fee (typically $45 or $60, depending on your plan).

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain timeframe. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out. We’d love to see a service recall period, but keeping in mind that Select offers some of the lowest service call fees in the industry, the trade-off may be worth it.

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No. Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase their service. There is also no maximum age of your home’s systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time of purchasing the warranty contract.

How do I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Cancel your warranty within 30 days of ordering for a full refund less a $75 cancellation fee. With special permission from Select, you may be able to cancel your warranty after the initial 30-day period. In the event a late cancellation is permitted, you will be refunded a pro-rated amount for the remainder of your contract term.

Is Select Home Warranty worth it?

Select Home Warranty is one of the more affordable home warranties we’ve seen, both in monthly cost and service call fees. Their plans cover all basic needs when it comes to household appliances and major systems. While there are some stricter terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service, most homeowners will want to act fast when a problem occurs, so we don’t see this being a major deterrent.

Select Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

Updated on 09/08/2020: Today September 8th 2020 I called to follow up on my recent claim for my inoperable oven of in period. The lady I spoke with was extremely pleasant and full of all the answers to my questions I had regarding my recent claim with the warranty policy I had purchased over 2 years ago. The representative explained to me that they had received the pictures of these serial and model number of my oven along with an additional picture I sent of the oven. She stated that the claims resolution team would be reviewing my information provided and I should hear something from these team within 24 to 48 hours from this phone call. She was a very pleasant lady to talk to and I more than appreciate her time and your service with your warranty company. I cannot wait to get my new one since this one was deemed unfixable at this time. Sincerely, Douglas **

Original Review: Oven inoperable. This was an awesome and simple experience. Thankful that I purchased this warranty back in 2018 when I purchased my home. I feel the value is right and the fee of $45 is perfect! The scheduled repair is to occur in a day. Having a home warranty give a home owner a sense of comfort knowing the home will be taken care of. Thanks again for your assistance and timely manner handling my home warranty request today.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I am having trouble getting an appliance repair technician out to my house to fix my clothes washer. However, all of your associates have been very helpful while attempting to resolve my issue. My washer stopped working a week ago. It was a three day weekend for Memorial Day. A repair company was dispatched Saturday, just a day after I filed a claim. So on Tuesday morning I tried contacting that company with no success. I called SHW & the person I spoke with successfully reached the repair company. The company owner ultimately said he would be at my house the next day. I had to call him the next day to confirm that he would get parts to repair the washer and he would call me back. No call came so I called him again and he told me the parts had to be shipped in from Dallas and could I wait till Thursday when the parts came in. I agreed.

Didn’t hear from him by 1:00pm Thursday so I called again. He said he would verify that the parts were in & call me right back. He didn’t call back. I spoke with SHW associate and she said that you would find another company. You are keeping me in the loop by email about the progress being made to dispatch another company. Y’all have been very attentive helping to resolve my issue but a week later, I am still without my washer. Very inconvenient. Thank you for the effort.

Original review: April 7, 2020

We noticed an unusual warm spot in our ceramic tile along with a diminished amount of hot water, and the water heater running a lot -- all put together made us think we had a water leak in the floor. I was up late last night and called Select Home Warranty (instead of online form... it didn't allow for detail I wanted to provide). CSR took accurate information on the phone and gave me the standard response "someone locally will contact you within 24-48 hours".

This morning before 8AM I had an email with a contact number to call locally. When I called, I spoke with an answering service, but within 20 minutes the Duncan Heating/Air/Plumbing company in Lubbock called, where I spoke with the owner, Mr. Duncan. They changed their daily schedule to get their technician out early today (he was going out on a 2-day job... they rerouted his day's jobs). Kyle, the technician was very polite and efficient - found the leak in our system, and made the reports.

Sadly slab leaks aren't covered by Select Home Warranty, however, we are arranging to get that cared for by Duncan folks. Kyle left our system in operation today with plans for a team to come tomorrow to fix the leak. Select Home Warranty was speedy and efficient and friendly - did a good job of communicating throughout the process. I could recommend them for you if you're looking for a home warranty company. Understanding - they don't cover everything!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

Updated on I have been an customer since December of 2019. I think I have received a good value for the service and customer service has been very good. I recently had a claim for a garage door opener that will not operate as of May 2020. I made this claim on line and the Vendor scheduled with me an appointment within 24 hours. I had the issue start on May 1, submitted the claim on May 5, scheduled the appointment on May 6, and the technician appeared on May 8th. The claim process was okay and the approval was given on May 11. The assessment was to replace the unit rather than repair. I have the technician coming back on May 15th to complete the job.

My issue is that the claim requested states the problem started on March 1 so the claim pay was calculated based on within 3 months or only $150 rather than $400 which will cover the cost after my service fee. This is not accurate as I have not had the issue for 2 months but only 2 weeks. I called customer service to explain this and they are going to resubmit the claim for the higher amount which makes reasonable sense. If Select Home Warranty doesn't correct this oversight or entry error I will still be satisfied with them overall but unhappy with this decision.

Original Review: Very impressed with the quick response and customer service. Representative was very knowledgeable and helpful with great options and competitive pricing. Excellent value for coverage and happy with service. Thank you very much for the peace of mind you are providing. Select Home Warranty has given us confidence over the next year.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

After calling Select Home Warranty, I was assured that I would be receiving an appointment with a technician within 48 hours. I waited and waited, all the time with no garage door opener to use. After 40 hours I called back and was told they were working on setting up an appointment and would be hearing from them by the end of the day.

Finally, after 48 hours I call them again and was told I could contact my own technician and would need to call them when the technician arrived with an estimate for the cost of fixing the garage door so it could be approved before the work was done. My technician arrived, I called the select home warranty and was on hold for so long that the technician was finished and we were still waiting to talk to the person to approve the work being done. I was without a working garage door for several days. If I had been told at the beginning that I needed to contact my own technician it would have been fixed in less than 1 day. Door is fixed, I have sent my bill to select home warranty and just waiting for my reimbursement check.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Fraudulent company. Do not do business with these jokers. Just look at their reviews here and BBB and elsewhere. I should have but and fell for their marketing reviews. I bought 3 years for my home and 1 year for a rental property. Total $1425. Problem 1- electrical problem with rental and called - no power to half the house so this was rather urgent. The agent said would escalate. NEVER received a service provider. Had problem fixed out of pocket - Select Home Warranty LLC fail. Problem 2- dishwasher leaking at my home. Select home warranty LLC emailed me a company I was to call for scheduling the repair. Repair company never heard of SELECT HOME WARRANTY LLC and did not have a working relationship with them.

Called SELECT HOME WARRANTY LLC and explained. They claimed they never sent me a service provider. I escalated to speak with a supervisor which took some doing. Nothing resolved. Subsequently received same referral over and over from company that does not work with select home warranty LLC. Called to cancel and refund. Select home warranty LLC wanted to charge cancellation fee and other fees. I have never received service on either claim and could not therefore felt I should get full refund of $1425. At that time I was only about 1 week past 30 days of purchase. They refused - disputing purchase with credit card now. Plus I found out through these phone calls that they do not cover any labor. This was not how the policies were sold to me. Salesperson said everything would be covered except service call fee of $60.

This is a scam company - they do not live up to what they sell you. Sales person misrepresents actual warranty plus in my 2 cases they could not even provide me with any company to do repairs. When you have a problem and need it fixed who has time to be jerked around by warranty company either by never sending you a service provider or sending one that laughs at you over the phone saying that they get calls from the fly by night warranty companies all the time that they don’t work with.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I ordered my policy with Select Home Warranty yesterday 24 Nov 2020 and I got the Platinum VIP product... The agent told me I will get a copy of my policy in my email within 30 minutes... An hour later- NOTHING!. I checked my email the following morning NOTHING... I called 25 Nov 2020 at 1230, verified my email and yet again was told that I will received my policy in 20-30 minutes... Guess what??? NOTHING... 5 hours later 1730 I called again... I told the agent that I have been waiting for my policy since buying it and then the guy put me on hold for 10 minutes!!! Then a different guy answered later and asked what I need?? At this time I was furious and mentioned that it is unacceptable for the a customer that just recently bought a policy to have all of this round around...

VIP client you said??? It does not seem like it.. Then the agent said "You know you can just go online and print your policy right?" Well Einstein I don't have any information at all... No policy number or so on... Well if I can't get any policy sent to me on my first day with this company... Imagine what will it be for work orders??? I just don't get it!!! Calling again tomorrow to cancel my policy... Oh yes! The agent even said "well even though you cancel it today, it will not get process until tomorrow since that department is gone" and then click... Hope this help future buyers of Home warranty..

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

We have now been out of heat and hot water going on the 3rd day in 30 degree weather and the warranty claim department keeps telling us they are doing their job and their policy is a 48 hour turnaround to get us a repairman. I would never buy another home warranty policy as most needs are emergency issues and if they cannot get someone to help you within a reasonable amount of time you will not be reimbursed to get someone in to fix your problem immediately! My 2 sons and husband and I are not able to shower and are freezing and have to heat water to do dishes unless I just forget my warranty and pay the service repair myself. Also the person who answered the claims phone on my 2nd call--Christine--was not very nice to me and did not seem to care we have no heat or hot water in our home. She was rude and snotty and I did not need that type of service!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Purchased 3 years plan for 1050 and would not recommend that to anyone and also would not recommend to buy any plan. They won’t provide good service. They will say that they will cover appliances however old they are and if not able to fix will replaced but they won’t fixed any and just say due to old it need to be replaced. The CATCH for replacement is the INSTALLATION charges are not covered and they will hire local contractors who will charged way more than others if you hire someone licensed. Toilet working since 10 years without issue they will say replaced just because it got clog... They will take long time to process the claim and for that also we will need to follow up.. They won’t update anything also the installation charges. We need to contact contractors directly... I won’t recommend anything to buy from them...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Tried to follow SHW procedures for "No Heat" condition on furnace. Took 3 tries with techs supplied by SHW before someone would service my area. First techs no work in my zip code. Second tech did not work in attics. Could not contact third tech "Voice mail full". The third tech did finally call me. He came and "bumped and thumped" around in my attic (unit is horizontal type). He came down and told me, "You need a $400.00 USD board and I'll get back to you". I wait from Friday to Monday for this guy. I have had no heat since the previous Wednesday. Finally I call him and he still has not heard from Select. I call select and discuss the situation with one of their "Friendly" reps finally says, "OK you find someone to fix it yourself, we will pay $150.00 usd max".

So I call my guy and get it up and running in 20 min. with a Rollout adjustment. And it was no cost to me. Select paints and talks (if you can understand them) a good game. Problem is nobody knows who has the "Ball" to run with it. I am now in a "Waiting Game" for my $150.00 or refund of my rip off wrong diagnosis super tech's service fees. I also found out if II had gone with the board, $150.00 usd is max SHW would have paid.

Butch

ADCS USN Ret.

PS: They could use Military Guidance!!!!

Select Home Warranty Company Information