2. Homeowners

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.07/5
Based on 3,491 ratings submitted in the last year
Visit Website

Select Home warranty provides AC, heat, and appliance coverage, a 30-day free trial period, and a low monthly cost. Contact us today to work with a best-in-service company to protect your home.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

Fast response and repair on our furnace during some wicked weather. Professional service that explained what the problem was and fixed it and gave recommendations of what service we should to do in the future to keep it functioning well.

Our dryer suddenly started giving out a burning smell and was not drying clothes. Select Warranty was really quick in dispatching a mechanic. They worked according to my schedule, explained the issue to me and left only after I was fully satisfied.

Select Home Warranty plans

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for home warranty coverage and is available in 45 states. California, Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from Select’s service area.

• Bronze Care: Covers eight major home appliances
  • Gold Care: Covers six major home systems
  • Platinum Care: Combination plan covering both appliances and systems. Includes items not covered by either the Bronze or Gold plans, like garage door openers and plumbing stoppages.

Select Home Warranty cost

Select Home Warranty’s rates are competitive and slightly lower than average, with customers paying around $40 per month for the service. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s reduced rate of $45–$60 per service call fee is lower than the industry average of $75.

Average monthly costService call fee
Bronze Care$36$45–$60
Gold Care$36$45–$60
Platinum Care$42$45–$60
* Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

Select Home Warranty coverage

Depending on which plan you choose, Select Home Warranty has coverage options to cover most major household appliances and systems. They also offer customizable add-ons, including roof coverage, which is available for free during certain promotional periods. Roof coverage is not provided by all home warranty companies, so that coverage is certainly a competitive advantage in Select’s favor. Roof coverage applies to leaks only and does not extend to patios.

Bronze Care:

• Microwave (built-in)
  • Refrigerator
  • Stove/oven
  • Washer/dryer

Additional coverage is available for a fee:

• Plumbing fixtures
  • Septic system coverage
  • Refrigerator’s ice maker

Select Home Warranty Reviews

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: June 12, 2019

Your salespeople all were professional. I was contacted by a few of them but stuck with the first man I spoke to named SOL **. He clearly understood your product, introduced the warranty in a simple manner, answering all my questions. Then when talking pricing he worked with me accommodating to my needs. Instead of getting one year of service I bought two years of service and paid in full (could not afford to do three years at this time) and the rate for vendors to come to my home more reasonable too than for one year. I have been an American Shield customer who was not happy with the vendor situation so decided to study the competitors and chose SELECT because I felt the overall product and service defined were the best. Now, I will wait and see and review again to let others know if the service is what they defined initially.

SOL ** had to wait nearly two weeks for payment only because my new account debit card had not been received. So he followed up and kept in touch with me, not to lose the business. I did not know he was not on commission, so I thought he was just a sales pro doing what you do--- pursue your prospect and sell the product. He did that without being aggressive. And his approach worked for two year sale not one. Thanks to SOL **.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

After returning home from an extended trip visiting family, I found my kitchen faucet would leak profusely at its base when turned on. Please note that when my original home warranty coverage provided by the seller of my home purchased in July of 2017 was nearing the end of its term I decided to look for another warranty service. My research led me to speak with a Select Home Warranty sales representative, signing up that very day. Order ** would become my first service request and although a tad bit worried about what contractors would be on their provider list in this small city of rural So. Oregon, I was extremely happy that Grants Pass Plumbing was one of them. Complete confidence and satisfaction... no worries there.

As for SHW, well all I can say is they have proven from the moment I contacted them via phone that I need not have worried... Kudos SHW! Customer Service Representatives, beginning with the fine young man who handled my claim initiation to those who contacted me by email, text and phone message, keeping me updated of the chain's progress... all within a 24 hour time frame. I do not exaggerate! Placed call into SHW at approximately 3:30am PST. G.P. Plumbing calls me at 4:42pm and schedules an appointment for 1:00 pm the following day. They turn in their findings and recommendations to SWH and I receive confirmation of what is and is not covered very same day. No worries, no stress, prompt and efficient resolution to my problem and no complaints.

Original review: April 1, 2019

July 31, 2018, the Condenser at my home died during Texas 100+ heatwave. Because I had not been given actual Receipts listing Servicing of the unit fall & spring for the previous 2 years, as required by Select Home Warranty; my claim was denied. However, after negotiating with the Claims department they offered to pay $250.00 toward the costs I would have to pay to replace my unit. I had turned in All the copies of Service Receipts I had been given by the service companies I had used. I am retired and on SS Income and took time and received quotes for Condenser replacement versus replacing the total system installed by the builder in 1999. The children and me after seeking quotes from 4 companies made the decision I should just replace the Condenser and that was done on August 1, 2018, the day I moved back into my house. I immediately sent in copies of Condenser purchase and Installment Receipts.

In January reviewing my documents for tax filing... I realized I had not ever received the payment from Select. I immediately filed a request for payment again, but not hearing back from them I contacted them again when my garage door opener went out in March. John in customer service issued a NEW Ticket referencing the old and today I just received an email that they are Honoring my Claim and paying me the $250.00. It might not seem like much but living on Social Security this pays 5 months of my Warranty service with the company. And also confirms Select Home Warranty's commitment to their Clients. I had been shopping for another provider, but I now will be staying a loyal client. Thank you Select and your employees for being there for us when we need you. Blessings.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Broken dryer. The customer service agent was very polite and understanding. Couldn’t ask for more. Hopefully the rest runs as smoothly! This specific claim is still in its infancy. So if follow through is acceptable then I will be a customer for life. We had an electric fire in our attic, thank God that we were at home when it started. I have a very touchy nose and I could smell burning almost immediately, we called Select immediately and 3 days later after my husband had pulled the breaker in question I was given a name of an electrician that was not even licensed in our state!!! When I brought this up to the agent I was transferred to the authorization dept. I was told that they are extremely busy and I could find my own electrician!! I waited 2 weeks without power to part of my house.

Finally after checking with authorization again I contacted the local electrician not even 1 block away. He came in and diagnosed the problem. Contacted Select they asked him the cost he told them that depended if he had to go through walls etc. Not good enough! After calling while the electrician was here and taking the phone to him while working to get my electrical to work they told me they would have to get back to me 4 days later after the electrician was done and gone I had a decision. No payment was going to be made!!! Now I’m paying a $600.00 bill and paying a warranty company that I’m not sure will work for me!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had a home warranty since the purchase of my home. Unfortunately, I was not pleased and cancelled at the end of my contract. Due diligence was done seeking an alternate home warranty. I received a call from Abraham, listened intently and informed him I wanted to do more research on his company. During my research I had someone else from Select call me, and I became annoyed because I informed Abraham once I did my research "I" would call him back. During my research I called Select to ask a question, and the salesperson did not have an answer, yet seemed more concerned about getting the business, and not listening to the customer. If he had, he would have found out the answer to my question.

Several days later I reached out to Abraham, requesting a call from him during a certain timeframe. When I heard from Abraham I explained my experiences I had with his organization. The outcome of my experience with Abraham, I agreed to give Select a try, and considering an extended warranty. He was very professional, and I was able to articulate the value of your organization in my mind, due to the due diligence I had done with several home warranty companies. My mind was made up prior to talking with Abraham to go with another company. Kudos to Abraham. Now that I'm a customer, I'm hopeful my expectations will be met in the event I have a claim. Retention is key. The questions are geared for the "sign on" experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Select Home Warranty's Professionalism and Great Customer Service won me over. I was about to signup with HWA today but after speaking with the Representative and looking that the great reviews, prices and the services covered under your Home Warranty Plan, I signed up immediately. If you keep up the good work our Home and Family will continue to be your loyal customers.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

While shopping for a home warranty policy, I contacted several companies. I selected Select Home Warranty because of the affordable value for the price and excellent customer service. My representative, Isaac, was friendly and very knowledgeable. He presented me with the best coverage and an offer that I couldn't refuse.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Heating was not heating very good. Tech showed up early which was very convenient. He checked the system for any issues and decided it was the duct work in the walls. He was very knowledgeable of the system I have in my condo. What really impressed me was the fact that he dug deep to find any problems with the unit. When he was done he took the time to explain to me the whole issue that maybe causing my heat issue. He checked all the vents for air flow and temp. He check the thermostat for any issues in that area. The tech was just very knowledgeable about what could be causing the problem.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Good overall experience with my phone order. Agent was helpful and offered multiple options. The only concern I had was having to call back this morning to get my policy information resent to me as the original email never came through. Other than that the service was good and look forward to using your service in the future.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Ray ** was very thorough and patient with me in explaining all of the details for this contract. I am very excited to become a VIP Member and look forward to many years of being a satisfied customer with Select Home Warranty. The products that you offer are extensive and by the research I did prior to calling I was convinced that this was the Company for me. Looking forward to a stress free experience and a long term relationship with your Company. Ray ** should be recognized for his professional and friendly customer service and sales presentation. Thank you for keeping it simple!

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify they do not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
    • Door handles
    • Doors
    • Hinges
    • Knobs and buttons
    • Door seals
    • Freon
    • Damage from a freon leak
    • Displays
    • Valves
    • Dispensers
    • Installation
    • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for their coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most they will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in their contract:

ItemCoverage limit
    Heating and cooling$2,000
    Electrical$500
    Appliances$500
    Add-on items$400
    Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty claims

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or submit a claim online.
    2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days on weekends and holidays).
    3. If the repair is covered by your warranty, the repair will be made at the cost of Select, less your service call fee (typically $45 or $60, depending on your plan).

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain timeframe. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out. We’d love to see a service recall period, but keeping in mind that Select offers some of the lowest service call fees in the industry, the trade-off may be worth it.

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No. Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase their service. There is also no maximum age of your home’s systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time of purchasing the warranty contract.

How do I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Cancel your warranty within 30 days of ordering for a full refund less a $75 cancellation fee. With special permission from Select, you may be able to cancel your warranty after the initial 30-day period. In the event a late cancellation is permitted, you will be refunded a pro-rated amount for the remainder of your contract term.

Is Select Home Warranty worth it?

Select Home Warranty is one of the more affordable home warranties we’ve seen, both in monthly cost and service call fees. Their plans cover all basic needs when it comes to household appliances and major systems. While there are some stricter terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service, most homeowners will want to act fast when a problem occurs, so we don’t see this being a major deterrent.

Select Home Warranty Company Information