Call toll free
4.24/5
Based on 3,646 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Select Home warranty provides AC, heat, and appliance coverage, a 30-day free trial period, and a low monthly cost. Contact us today to work with a best-in-service company to protect your home.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

03/12/2019

Fast response and repair on our furnace during some wicked weather. Professional service that explained what the problem was and fixed it and gave recommendations of what service we should to do in the future to keep it functioning well.

03/12/2019

Our dryer suddenly started giving out a burning smell and was not drying clothes. Select Warranty was really quick in dispatching a mechanic. They worked according to my schedule, explained the issue to me and left only after I was fully satisfied.

Select Home Warranty plans

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for home warranty coverage and is available in 45 states. California, Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from Select’s service area.

• Bronze Care: Covers eight major home appliances
  • Gold Care: Covers six major home systems
  • Platinum Care: Combination plan covering both appliances and systems. Includes items not covered by either the Bronze or Gold plans, like garage door openers and plumbing stoppages.

Select Home Warranty cost

Select Home Warranty’s rates are competitive and slightly lower than average, with customers paying around $40 per month for the service. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s reduced rate of $45–$60 per service call fee is lower than the industry average of $75.

Average monthly costService call fee
Bronze Care$36$45–$60
Gold Care$36$45–$60
Platinum Care$42$45–$60
* Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

Select Home Warranty coverage

Depending on which plan you choose, Select Home Warranty has coverage options to cover most major household appliances and systems. They also offer customizable add-ons, including roof coverage, which is available for free during certain promotional periods. Roof coverage is not provided by all home warranty companies, so that coverage is certainly a competitive advantage in Select’s favor. Roof coverage applies to leaks only and does not extend to patios.

Bronze Care:

• Microwave (built-in)
  • Refrigerator
  • Stove/oven
  • Washer/dryer

Additional coverage is available for a fee:

• Plumbing fixtures
  • Refrigerator’s ice maker

6254 Select Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: April 22, 2019

All in all it was a great experience talking with Jeff! Was polite, answered all my questions and concerns about the Select Home Warranty plan for $45.00 a month. I would recommend this to all my friends and people I know. This is a great price and value. Couldn't ask for anything better. I plan on keeping them for years to come. I can't believe how cheap the price is. If Select is as good as they say they are about repairs and only having to pay a one time service call this is the best Home Warranty I have ever heard of or seen. Thanks again Jeff!!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

This was an Excellent and fast service that they provided. The claims process was easy also. The electrical company contacted us right away. They were friendly and prompt. He solved the issue and made things smooth and easy. Thanks to my home warranty for connecting me with the electrical contracting company. Superb service and outcome. I was not charged anything extra except for the service charge. So, I knew exactly what the cost will be. They delivered as promised and we will use them again.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Ray was very helpful and very responsive, When I told him I couldn't talk and please call me the next day he didn't push the issue he did as I asked. He was very courteous and explained everything concisely. He took the time to explain and find the best option for me. I would and have recommended him and Select Home Warranty, now I know I haven't used the service yet, but I am hoping it is as good as it sounds. I will let you know.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Our home at low hot water pressure. I had to call 2 times to get the claim opened. A contractor was assigned but they never contacted me to schedule an appointment. The contractor did not contact me Within 24 hours. Called you back and was on hold for a long period of time. This issue has gone on for at least 2 weeks now and still nobody has come to troubleshoot or fix the issue. I'd like to get this problem fixed but feel like I'm getting the runaround. Also the contractor is located a long distance from the house. I was hoping they would assign a more local company that I may be a little familiar with and could get local references.

Original review: April 21, 2019

AC check. When I contacted Select warranty about my issue they immediately assigned a company to handle my issue. The company contacted me immediately and someone was sent out to assess my concern within 2 days. When the company came out I felt they took their time to assess the issue and presented themselves as being very professional. After being assigned a company I looked them up and checked their reviews and they had 4.9 reading out of 5. After their initial assessment the presented a claim to select warranty and My issue was a maintenance issue and deemed my responsibility. It was nice to see the promptness and urgency my issue was given.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have called twice for service and both times I'm told about these exclusions that the customer is not told about at the time they sign you up. Take your payment then inform you of all the exclusions. This is not a good way to run a business, be honest with your customers up front and avoid all the frustration. I did get some satisfaction when they offered to send a service contractor out to look at the problem.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have had one plan prior that was a horrible experience. The state of New York sued the company and I never felt so ripped off. I am anxious about this, so please be responsible. The representative on the phone was beyond helpful. So as of now I feel we have started out on the right path. If the service continues as the initial contact has then this should be a positive relationship.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Submitted a claim around midnight, I received an email that a contractor had been assigned around 9 in the morning, then received a call from the contractor himself to schedule service. Very quick assignment of contractor, received a call within 12 hours of filing a claim. The contractor was able to come the same day he called to diagnose the issue. I paid my deductible and felt I did not have to worry anymore. It was a stress free process this time around.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I contacted SHW, filed my problem online, and within 12hrs, I received an e-mail and a phone call to see if there was anything else they could do to help. They let me do the easiest solution, purchase a new disposal and send copy of receipt. Then I will be sent full reimbursement up to the pre-approved price. With it being a holiday weekend I'm sure Home Depot, or Lowe's will be having a sale. I just have to wait for the Sunday sales paper to arrive.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Having an issue with cold air not coming through. Having trouble w/ them getting a contractor, however they are pleasant, hopeful to have air soon! The first contractor refused to work with us, which isn’t a good indicator. I think I have one more day before I should hear back, so I will keep you posted. I was on the phone for a while, and I had to give my security information several times. I’m hoping it gets resolved quickly. That why I got used this company, for their quick response.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I was very pleased to work with associate. He was very detailed and offered very competitive pricing to suite my current needs. When I called back in to obtain comments on the $15k per year coverage the manager sent it right away. I am also able to make 3 payments separately to cover my coverage timeframe which is outstanding customer service satisfaction, I recommend Select Home Warranty services to anyone looking to change from their current provider.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This is the first warranty company that informed before I paid the visit fee that a particular item was not covered. Other companies would get my explanation of need and send out someone who then tell me I wasn't covered but still had to pay the deductible. That to me was fraud. Your company was clearly more up front. Thank you. I appreciate your fairness, it was a pleasure to have this degree of honesty which is so hard to find in home warranty companies.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Repaired 3 electric outlets in Kitchen that quit working the breaker to be added to the breaker box to keep it from blowing the outlets again because there is too much power being pulled by microwave. Still has to be put in for microwave and you are looking for someone to do that being there is a big back up in this area. I don't know what else you want me to say. I am a home owner and happy with Select Home Warranty.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Sale was a bit heavy handed but seriously so far the cost has been well within the norm of a contract like this. Great overall product and I believe this will work well for the multiple properties it will protect in the future. I would be careful buying into any contract with a warranty company until you have checked out the local capabilities as with American Home Shield it could be days before you were able to get any kind o help or service request answered.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Oven repair. Repairman, Anthony ** has been very prompt. He has been keeping informed daily about part he ordered. Letting me know he will be back to install range part as soon as it comes in. Very good repairman. Your customer service was very prompt in helping me with my problem. Very much appreciated. I would highly recommend your company to anyone who needs home repair service. I would recommend your company to anyone needing repairs in their home.

Original review: April 19, 2019

David ** did a great job in recommending the option and value for my situation. Provided good customer service that’s hard to come by these days. I would recommend Select Home Warranty to family, friends, and neighbors. He gave me the impression that they really do appreciate your business. That’s why I decided to gives such a good rating. I received excellent service today, and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot David, appreciate the time.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Mr. ** was polite, courteous and very informative. He demonstrated much patience and understanding. I am happy with the VIP coverage and discount received. The extra years contract I got was priced reasonable and it includes roof leakage protection. I had Select warranty in the past and they were very responsive, so I am joining them with my new home again. The service repair they send is reliable and bonded, I never had an issue with them. I will definitely recommend Select Warranty to friends. Martin

Original review: April 19, 2019

I was very pleased with the service provided by Belinda. She was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions in a very courteous and polite manner. She also provided me with various options along with explanation and prices. After talking with Belinda, I was convinced that I am joining the RIGHT company and plan and that helped me decide to move from my current service provider. Keep up the great customer service provided by Belinda.

Original review: April 19, 2019

When ordering the home warranty through Select Home Warranty, the first person I spoke to was very pushy and not respectful when I said I needed to see information and time to consider. He proceeded to tell me that it was "my loss" if I didn't sign up and then didn't follow up on providing the information I requested to consider the warranty. I called a second time, and the person who helped me was much better, and gave me a better discount than the first person. The BBB rates Select Home Warranty with a B-, citing complaints of poor work by contractors and not fulfilling repair/replacement requests. I am hopeful that the negative reviews are, perhaps, a factor of local contractors and not a national experience, and I am hoping the contractors in my area will do a good job of helping me maintain my home. I would rate my experience as a moderately satisfying experience, with room for improvement.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Ray was very knowledgeable and if he needed confirmation, he asked the manager. I had questions about monthly and annual rates, coverage. Ray answered all of my questions. Price: Good rate for the year compared to my current provider and 2 other companies. Coverage: Select Home was able to cover all of the appliances that we needed plus our sump pump and the radiant heating. For those that would try to purchase the warranty online; it would be nice if it mentions radiant heating online.

Original review: April 19, 2019

GOOD TRANSACTION, It took a while to get thru the process but once I made the right connections it went smoother. I have to make three calls but it was complicated by the fact that the vendor that was directed to service did not come to fix and I was told to call someone to do the repair but I would have to pay him and go thru a reimbursement procedure and it's a little bit of a hassle but it will get done.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I will say that at the end I'm satisfied. The issue I had early was with the 1st company sent out to assist me. Golden and Golden never showed up and wouldn't answer my calls. After talking to your company my situation was escalated. The company Crystals Appliance came out the same day and had my refrigerator up and running in no time. The technician was very polite and knew what she was doing. I'd recommend her to anyone and I thank Select Home Warranty for having her on your list of certified technicians.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I called to add coverage to my plan. Jeff was very professional and answered all of my questions. I have another plan currently and it is more expensive and covers a lot less. I am also happy that I can use my own service companies. I have not always been happy with the service companies that my current plan sends. That is very important and makes a huge difference. Wonderful service! I am very please, thank you.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I found all persons knowledgeable with the services provided. Explained the items covered. Described in detail their responsibilities. The proof will be when a claim is filed but given our initial contacts in arriving at our contract agreement, I have a good sense that I will not be disappointed. The ability to transact everything online is especially helpful when dealing with out of state properties. Every step in the process was immediately confirmed by email.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The agent was very helpful in answering my questions. I needed to get the order made in order to meet a closing requirement for next week. The agent explained the various warranty options and when I gave him our contract terms, he was able to find a solution that fit our needs. It was done in quick and very professional manner. I would certainly recommend SHW to future clients. I will discuss SHW with other agents in my office as well.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Sol **. provided great customer service! I'm a new customer and he answered all my questions very professionally and was very knowledgeable regarding the product/packages offered! The coverage offered and its prices are better than any other home warranty company in the market to date! I was debating on just renewing my contract with American Home Shield but I did some research online and came across "Select Home Warranty" and so I decided to make the call and see what all they had to offer and I'm glad I did! I would highly recommend anyone that is in the market for a new home warranty insurance provider to give "Select Home Warranty" a call today!

Original review: April 19, 2019

Rep was informative, answered all my questions. The last home warranty co. I was with, was very vague and I made the mistake of taking for grated their policy, without asking enough questions about the coverage, and it's limitations. Select Home is providing the coverages I need, at a fair price. I would recommend Select Home for their value, and service to anyone that is interested in a home warranty company. Before my policy started, I had to call and add on a coverage that I had forgot, and they handled that too, with no problems.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Dryer repair claim. The claims representative was clear, concise, friendly and helpful. She was informative and was able to help me get the information that I needed. I was advised that the process was to file the claim first. The next step is that I would be given a claim number. After the claim number was assigned, the company would locate a contractor to fix the problem. We would then receive an email from the company explaining which contractor that we should call. When we get the email, call the contractor to set up service.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I spoke to Isaac and was really unsure what to do. Since I take care of my Stepdad who is an older gentleman, I wasn't really sure what option to go with. I went with the 5 year program that also gives you an extra year free. I wasn't sure if I should do this, since I really did not know how long I would need this for him. Isaac made me aware that you can cancel at any time and you will get a refund of any years you have not used or you could transfer the policy to another family member. I think this is a great option for anyone. I have not used the service yet, but will let you know if I have any complaints.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I spoke with Isaac and he really helped in making my decisions on what to do. He was great to work with. Very helpful and explained everything. He also recommended a better deal when you order a longer term policy. I thought that was very helpful. I also think it is nice that you can transfer the policy to someone else if someone passes. You can also cancel at any time and get a full refund. I cannot wait to use this service to see actually how great this is.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify they do not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
  • Door handles
  • Doors
  • Hinges
  • Knobs and buttons
  • Door seals
  • Freon
  • Damage from a freon leak
  • Displays
  • Valves
  • Dispensers
  • Installation
  • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for their coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most they will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in their contract:

ItemCoverage limit
Heating and cooling$2,000
Electrical$500
Appliances$500
Add-on items$400
Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty claims

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or submit a claim online.
  2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. If the repair is covered by your warranty, the repair will be made at the cost of Select, less your service call fee (typically $45 or $60, depending on your plan).

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain timeframe. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out. We’d love to see a service recall period, but keeping in mind that Select offers some of the lowest service call fees in the industry, the trade-off may be worth it.

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No. Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase their service. There is also no maximum age of your home’s systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time of purchasing the warranty contract.

How do I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Cancel your warranty within 30 days of ordering for a full refund less a $75 cancellation fee. With special permission from Select, you may be able to cancel your warranty after the initial 30-day period. In the event a late cancellation is permitted, you will be refunded a pro-rated amount for the remainder of your contract term.

Is Select Home Warranty worth it?

Select Home Warranty is one of the more affordable home warranties we’ve seen, both in monthly cost and service call fees. Their plans cover all basic needs when it comes to household appliances and major systems. While there are some stricter terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service, most homeowners will want to act fast when a problem occurs, so we don’t see this being a major deterrent.

Select Home Warranty Company Information