4.3/5 (903 ratings)

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

Pros

• Discounts available
  • 30-day trial period
  • 24/7 claims number

Cons

• Not available nationwide
  • Some claims denied

Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for coverage. It works with a large network of local repair professionals. Coverage limits are lower than some other companies, but the company also charges less per month.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price seemed great for all the services that are covered. I got the platinum package and I would recommend to any new homeowner for peace of mind to know that it will be a f...

Verified

Just started the warranty service with Select Home Warranty. Good service to get the service started. Starting with positive vibe on the policy. The service person Greg did a good...

Select Home Warranty coverage

Select Home Warranty has three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care and Platinum Care. Bronze Care covers eight major home appliances, and Gold Care covers six major home systems. Platinum Care combines the plans and adds coverage for plumbing stoppages, garage door openers and ceiling fans. Roof coverage is available for free during certain promotional periods.

Bronze Care plan
  • Electrical system
  • Water heater
  • Ductwork
Platinum Care plan
The Platinum Care plan combines the Bronze and Gold plans and adds three additional items, for a total of 17 coverages:
  • AC and cooling
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling fan
  • Plumbing stoppage

Select Home Warranty prices

Select Home Warranty’s rates range from $42 per month to $49 per month. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s trade services fees start at $75.

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain time frame. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify it does not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
  • Door handles
  • Doors
  • Hinges
  • Knobs and buttons
  • Door seals
  • Freon
  • Damage from a freon leak
  • Displays
  • Valves
  • Dispensers
  • Installation
  • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for its coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions, which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most the company will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in the contract:

ItemCoverage limit
Heating and cooling$2,000
Electrical$500
Appliances$500
Add-on items$400
Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Where is Select Home Warranty available?

Select Home Warranty is available in 46 states. Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from the company’s service area.

How do I file a claim with Select Home warranty?

Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:

1. Contact Select via phone or email, or submit a claim online.
  2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days if you make the claim during a weekend or holiday).
  3. You pay a service call fee to the contractor (starting at $75).
  4. If the repair is covered by your warranty, Select covers the rest of the cost.
Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase coverage. There is also no maximum age of home systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time you enroll in the plan.

Can I cancel Select Home Warranty?

Yes, you can cancel your warranty. However, expect to pay a $75 cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after signing up.

Is Select Home Warranty good?

Select Home Warranty has a good overall customer satisfaction rating. Plans cover all major household appliances and systems. The inclusion of roof coverage gives Select an advantage over competitors. However, there are some strict terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service. This means that homeowners will want to act fast when an issue comes up.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: April 14, 2022

Service Plus' intake representative was courteous and informative. An appointment was scheduled for the next week, according to a service business. Eduardo, the technician, arrived on time and performed admirably. After troubleshooting, I had to replace my garbage disposal. Rather than having the guy order a replacement from an unknown manufacturer (I had a badger), I volunteered to provide a new replacement disposal, so all the tech had to do was remove the old one and replace it with the new universal fitting one. He got permission from Service Plus to do so, and the installation went off without a hitch. This prevented a second visit, and Service Plus incurred no costs for the replacement garbage disposal since, when the contract comes up for renewal, they keep track of the total cost of this service call and any others made during the contract period in order to establish the new contract's cost.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I was searching for a home warranty plan that would fit my needs without breaking my pockets. I have used American Home Shield and Choice warranty in the past. I inquired about Select Home warranty and also noted their great reviews. I signed up online and lucky for me I made a mistake with my address and received a call from Jake **. He worked with my schedule. I was in class at the time so we were emailing back and forth.

When I finally was able to speak with he asked if I was a veteran. He stopped and was told me there was a better opportunity and plan available for me because of my service. Boy did it save me money. I am not cover just covered for 1 year but 3 years! And I received months free for paying in full!!!! I already know this is going to be a great experience. Thanks Jake **!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Updated on 01/26/2022: Hi...This is a follow up to this morning's comment on calling Select to tell them my furnace was not working. I called them at about 8:35. At 11:30 I received a call from the tech to tell me he was "on the way". At 12:45 the repairman had that furnace humming. Three times at bat so far for Select. Three homeruns. Thank you Select!!!

Original Review: Just started the claim and so far, so good. The woman on the phone was very nice, professional and patient. I have used Select before and they have always handled my problem professionally and competently. Glad I decided to get this policy when I purchased my home. So far they have fixed several things in my home. The repairs sure would have added up to the price of the policy and more. No surprises.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I contacted Select Home Warranty on 1/24/2022; the first time I've had to contact them since signing the contract with them. I had a busted water main in my guest bathroom, which was going to require a professional plumber to cut off the line, solder a new connect/value in place. I explained the problem to the first contact representative, they took my information, assigned a claim number, and reassured me a plumber would be notified immediately, and I would send a confirmation e-mail. However, minutes afterwards, I was able to repair the broken water main myself; it was a miracle. I contacted Select Home Warranty again to advise them to cancel the claim/plumber, as there was no longer a problem. The second customer representative was also extremely pleasant and professional, and canceled my claim without any haggle or problem. I will be sure to contact them again in the future, in case of a home emergency.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I was impressed by the salespeople ability to communicate using the King's English that I could understand, and their ability to quickly and clearly explain features of their system and their policy. I was happy to see clear value and cost savings in comparison to the contract, cost, and treatment I have been experiencing lately from this provider I have had for 18 years vs. the approach and customer service administration at SHW. I received the cost and benefit information about the policy I was considering quickly and accurate so I could make my decision about getting my new policy with SHW. Since I have not yet begun my coverage I can't comment at this time about their claim administration but was happy that I could talk directly to a live person about my claim submission and not be forced into a computer system or pay my deductible before I get to see a service contractor.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Select Home Warranty just to GARBAGE service to a completely different level and proved to me that they are nothing but a SCAM and a complete RIP OFF. First of all, when I called Select Home Warranty to buy a contract, they gave me a high price which I rejected. Then, they started to lower their prices, multiple times, which I rejected until we reached an offer that I thought was reasonable and within my budget. So, I went ahead and purchase their services. Mind you, I purchased their services on November of 2021 and they still haven't sent me the paperwork of anything like terms or conditions. Anyways, around eight months pass by and my fridge starts to have problems. It's not as cold as it used to be.

I called the company and they sent out a technician to check it out. He found the issue and said to unplug the fridge to defrost while he orders the parts. A few days later I receive an email from Select Home Warranty offering reimbursement of $185 saying that the fix costs more than the fridge. Just imagine a 6 years old Samsung Fridge which costed me $3000 is costing now $185!!! I asked to get the claimed needed spare parts, but till this minute, I didn't receive anything. Ironically, they forwarded me to section 8 which I never received. Finally I came to understand Select Home Warranty is a BIG SCAM.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I called about my garage door, broken spring. They response was that the spring is not covered!! I have had other companies and they have all covered broken spring. The condenser of my refrigerator gave out, leaked the Freon. Their response: the condenser is not covered (cooling Mechanism of a refrigerator....lol), THEN WHY DO YOU COVER A REFRIGERATOR IF YOU DON'T COVER THE COOLING MECHANISM?!! And this was my second fridge that I had to buy extra coverage for!!

And when you ask they refer you to the long small print contract that they send to you when you buy the protection. If you selling me the upgraded plan making me think that it covers everything, I am not reading the small print. So then I tried to cancel the contract because I had prepaid, and they said, "If you do we will deduct and claims we paid on the contract before we refund your premium!!"

Original review: June 8, 2022

In Oct of 2021 the furnace quit working. I called Select and they promised to send someone but it took over 10 days. Select had lots of excuses. One excuse was the repair company couldn't find the house which is located on a city street. I called daily and talked to a foreign speaker. Always I was told they would expedite my repair. Finally a man came to the house. Said the furnace needed a part. Waited another week. Part was sent to my house. I then couldn't get the repairman to come back because he said Select never paid him for previous repairs at other houses.

I called Select at least once a day. It was getting colder out every day. I contacted the BBB in NJ where the company is based. I just wanted the repair done and thought a little nudge would help. Select canceled my contract because of that. They never sent the refund I was promised when I signed up for 5 years. Bottom line, I had to buy a new furnace. After 5 weeks of fighting with Select to fix my furnace!

Original review: June 4, 2022

I bought the contract based on the fact that items would be replaced if broken. My water heater broke and needed to be replaced. Instead of replacing the water heater, they only gave me the so called value. 175.00.

Original review: June 3, 2022

In a way they are scammers. They sell at a high level that they cover HVAC systems and you are covered for little fees, there are many clauses that suddenly disqualify you. Even as a platinum member, having multiple homes with them, when my AC broke within two years of replacement, they denied understanding my situation of the case. In addition, the certified contractor by Select asked to check Freon (double than I could get someone) for a way higher price. That was misguiding as the issue was with the outside unit (confirmed by the second opinion we got from an independent contractor). Do not go with Select unless you are ready to spend $4,000 out of pocket someday. Now they are giving me hard time to cancel my warranty.

Select Home Warranty Company Information