Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.4/5 (1326 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Select Home Warranty

Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans. You can choose to cover systems, appliances or both at a single-family home, rental property, manufactured home, mobile home or condo. Contracts are renewable each year, with discounts available for multiple-year coverage. Claims service from Select Home Warranty is available 24/7.

Pros

• Discounts available
    • 30-day trial period
    • 24/7 claims number

Cons

• Not available nationwide
    • Some claims denied

Bottom Line

Select Home Warranty offers three plan options for coverage. It works with a large network of local repair professionals. Coverage limits are lower than some other companies, but the company also charges less per month.

Top Select Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price seemed great for all the services that are covered. I got the platinum package and I would recommend to any new homeowner for peace of mind to know that it will be a f...

Verified

Just started the warranty service with Select Home Warranty. Good service to get the service started. Starting with positive vibe on the policy. The service person Greg did a good...

Select Home Warranty coverage

Select Home Warranty has three coverage plans: Bronze Care, Gold Care and Platinum Care. Bronze Care covers eight major home appliances, and Gold Care covers six major home systems. Platinum Care combines the plans and adds coverage for plumbing stoppages, garage door openers and ceiling fans. Roof coverage is available for free during certain promotional periods.

Bronze Care plan
    • Electrical system
    • Water heater
    • Ductwork
    Platinum Care plan
    The Platinum Care plan combines the Bronze and Gold plans and adds three additional items, for a total of 17 coverages:
    • AC and cooling
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling fan
    • Plumbing stoppage

Select Home Warranty prices

Select Home Warranty’s rates are competitive and slightly lower than average, with customers paying around $36 to $50 per month for coverage. You’ll be charged a service call fee each time a technician is sent out to your home to repair or replace an item. Select Home Warranty’s trade services fees are between $60 and $75.

Some home warranties provide a “service recall period,” where they’ll waive the service call fee for any repeat visits for the same issue within a certain time frame. Select Home Warranty does not offer this and will require you to pay the service call fee each time a technician is sent out.

Select Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties typically cover mechanical breakdowns of appliances and systems due to normal wear and tear. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Additionally, Select Home Warranty’s terms and conditions specify it does not cover anything related to hazardous materials like asbestos, lead or gas leaks, damage that’s the result of an act of nature or due to previous improper care, installation or failure to properly maintain a system or appliance. The warranty does not cover any issues related to foundation, structure or manufacturer's defect.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. Select Home Warranty lists the following general exclusions to covered appliances and systems:

• Shelves
    • Door handles
    • Doors
    • Hinges
    • Knobs and buttons
    • Door seals
    • Freon
    • Damage from a freon leak
    • Displays
    • Valves
    • Dispensers
    • Installation
    • Electrical failures and upgrades

For example, Select Home Warranty lists the following exclusions for its coverage on dishwashers: control board pump, switches, drain pump, temp control, heating elements, drain lines. A full list of exclusions can be found in Select home Warranty’s terms and conditions, which will be listed in your contract.

Select Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit or cap, which is the most the company will pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the set dollar limit, you are responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Select Home Warranty specifies the following replacement allowances in the contract:

ItemCoverage limit
    Heating and cooling$2,000
    Electrical$500
    Appliances$500
    Add-on items$400
    Freon coverage$250

Select Home Warranty FAQ

Where is Select Home Warranty available?
    Select Home Warranty is available in 46 states. Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin are excluded from the company’s service area.
    How do I file a claim with Select Home warranty?
    Claims must be filed within three days of discovering the problem. To file a claim with Select Home Warranty:
    1. Contact Select via phone or email, or submit a claim online.
    2. Select will contact an independent contractor to provide repairs within two business days (up to four days if you make the claim during a weekend or holiday).
    3. You pay a service call fee to the contractor (usually $60).
    4. If the repair is covered by your warranty, Select covers the rest of the cost.
    Does Select Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection to purchase coverage. There is also no maximum age of home systems and appliances, as long as they are in good, working condition at the time you enroll in the plan.
    Can I cancel Select Home Warranty?
    Yes, you can cancel your warranty. However, expect to pay a $75 cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after signing up.

Is Select Home Warranty good?

Select Home Warranty has a good overall customer satisfaction rating. Plans cover all major household appliances and systems. The inclusion of roof coverage gives Select an advantage over competitors. However, there are some strict terms, like claims needing to be filed within three days to qualify for service. This means that homeowners will want to act fast when an issue comes up.

Select Home Warranty Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2013

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Home Warranty?

Original review: April 8, 2021

I bought my house in August and my realtor negotiated a home warranty for me as part of my closing package. I was excited but didn’t know much about it. All I knew was that if anything broke, I was covered. About a month ago, my hot water heater starts going out. It’s making less and less hot water. I called a plumber that worked with the home warranty and they checked it out. They said they would submit a claim and left. Time goes by and I don’t hear anything. I call the plumber and they said it’s Select’s fault. Meanwhile, my water heater has gotten worse and only produces about a 3 min warm (not hot) shower.... not fun for washing my extra long hair!!

I finally decide to call select to get to the bottom of this. I don’t know my policy number or claim number so the agent looks it up for me. She said the policy was in my realtor's name!! I needed to get it transferred over to me. She said they have been emailing/calling but it was going to my realtor. I was in shock. How does this happen?! The agent said that they cannot process my claim until they get a picture of the water heater. This whole past month I was suffering with cold showers for basically no reason. After I got off the phone, I emailed the requested pictures to the claims department. I called my realtor and told her what happened and she immediately called select to transfer the policy. Now I’m waiting to see how long it will actually take to review my claim. I long for the day when I can take a hot shower!!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Select is the 4th home warranty I have used over the past 10 yrs. The last three have been so difficult to work with I quit using them. My experience had been frustrating. Taking more than a week to get to me when I had an air conditioner outage in July with temps up to 100 degrees. This was my first contact with Select after purchasing in December. I had a blocked or frozen drain with a water leak to the basement. I made my claim about 8 am and had a repairman name by late morning. I made the call to Breezy AC/Plumbing and told that he could get me in on Saturday (5 days later).

I explained the problem and he told me if he could come in the evening closer to 6pm he could be at my home the next day. Because of an emergency for a person with no heat he was delayed by another hour, but he came. The repairman was so thoughtful and made the repairs that night. Select will have to continue to show me these kind of results but their choice of repairman was just wonderful so far. Select has really made a wonderful impression on a person that has had many disappointments with home warranties.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Select Homes offers one of the highest rated in Customer Satisfaction Home Warranties in the industry. As I was studying their website, I received a call from Sol, an extremely knowledgeable and courteous sales rep from Select. He took considerable time with me explaining the options available to me and the different types of plans offered by Select. He was able to answer all of my questions and even a few that I did not have but was grateful to know.

Upon hearing that I was a senior and a veteran, he guided me toward even more discounts as well as added features that were well within my budget. If you are fortunate enough to work with Sol, you too will come to appreciate what Select can do for you, your home, and your peace of mind. I hope I never have to use Select, but if I do, I am confident that I made the right choice to help me save money and repair any system that has had the misfortune to breakdown in my new home. I cannot recommend them to you more highly.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I am switching over from a different service provider that I have been extremely unhappy with. It was not guaranteed that I was going to sign a new contract I was merely looking for information. Sam contacted me mere minutes after I inputted my information with the company on their website. He was patient with me and worked with me to find a plan that best met my needs. I had to consult with my spouse and Sam left his offer on the table for a couple of days to allow me the time to explore other options.

When I contacted him a couple of days later he had all my information already in the system as well as the existing offer that he had offered me before. Additionally in those 2 days he found an even better deal than he had offered me on the previous phone call and I signed up for that deal. If the customer service that I received over these last couple of days is any indication about the quality of service I will receive from the company I will be a lasting customer for a long time to come. Thanks Sam.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Updated on 03/11/2021: I called Home Warranty and talked with Frank. He was most helpful and answered all my questions I had regarding this service. Since this is the first time I call about my need of assistance, and not having a home warranty before was the reason for my various questions. After Frank explained the process of filing my claim and giving me a claim number, almost immediately I was contacted by a local service company inquiring about the best time and date for them to come and take care of my request. I appreciate the help and am presently waiting for them to let me know when a service agent will be able to come to take care of my refrigerator repair needs.

Original Review: After mulling over my need for a home warranty for a while, I decided to definitely get one because you just don't know when you'll have an emergency repair need asap. Chase was very helpful in answering all my questions I had, since I've never purchased one. His assistance was great and convinced me to go ahead and make a commitment to purchase the platinum plan which meets all my needs best. Thank you very much. M **

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

When something seems too good to be true..it usually is. I purchased a warranty from Select Home Warranty a few months ago, the rep I spoke with (Steven **) hyped it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then when I tried to used it the truth of it came to light. They sell it as an Appliances package but when you try to use it you find out there’s a whole host of parts that isn’t covered (I’d say about 70%). They just told me I was approved to receive $95 for a $570 microwave that was only a year and a half old. And my refrigerator and upright freezer wasn’t covered.

How are they not covered when the package I got said Appliance Package not Parts Package. Now I canceled my contract because of my dissatisfaction with them which will result in a early cancellation fee. I paid for the contract up front, no documentation was ever sent stating different part of the appliances were not covered. False advertising, poor customer service….never again.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Outstanding knowledge of policy plans and their coverages. Superior knowledge of their company policies and procedures from labor charges and ways to get them lower by choosing the right plan for me to use. All questions were answered satisfactorily. I was able to choose the plan for my family. I would definitely recommend Select to my friends in my neighborhood.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I submitted a claim for a leaking pipe within my wall inside my home. After securing my own plumbing company to diagnose and provide a quote, I was told that it would take 2-3 days for approval of the repair. Really??? On a water leak that could flood the house??

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Jake ** did a great job explaining the home warranty and offering options. I researched many home warranty companies and settled on Select Home because they offer the best options and have outstanding customer service reviews. I’m completely satisfied at this point in my decision to purchase the home warranty. Thank you for asking!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I'm happy with the deal that I got from Select Home Warranty. I wanted to ensure my properties were protected to avoid any surprise repairs. Speaking to the service team helped me get exactly what I was looking for. I am yet to use their services as there is a 30 day waiting period.

Select Home Warranty Company Information