Get a Quote

2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

4.1/5 (124 ratings)

About Liberty Home Guard

Liberty Home Guard is a home warranty company with flexible plans and optional add-on coverage. Customers can file claims, view claim status, renew and upgrade policies and update payment information using Liberty Home Guard’s online portal. Repairs come with a 60-day warranty. Plans are available in 45 states plus Washington, D.C.

Pros

• Straightforward plans
  • Convenient customer portal
  • Affordable options
  • Flexible contract terms

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Some report claim denials

Bottom Line

Liberty Home Guard has a vast network of licensed technicians. Contracts have some limitations, but there’s no limit to the number of repairs or replacements. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Top Liberty Home Guard Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Love that they are cheap, that they include already diagnosed issues and offered discounts for multiple years to include free roof repairs. They also offered free waived copays fo...

Verified

Liberty Home Guard really came through this time just like they have before. I've had to make several claims over the years, and they have consistently come through helping me out...

Liberty Home Guard plans

Liberty Home Guard offers three home warranty plans. One plan covers appliances, one covers systems and the third covers both systems and appliances. You can purchase a month-to-month, annual or multiyear policy. New customers can start requesting service after 30 or 60 days, depending on the contract terms. You can purchase these plans regardless of the age of your systems and appliances; no home inspection is required.

Systems Guard plan

The Systems Guard plan protects some of the most important systems in your home:

• Air conditioning

• Electrical
  • Water heaters
  • Garbage disposals
Additional coverage

Some of the available add-on coverage options from LHG include:

• Limited roof leak
  • Central vacuum
  • Lighting fixtures
  • Plumbing fixtures

Liberty Home Guard cost

Liberty Home Guard plans start at around $64.99 per month. Comprehensive coverage costs a little more, averaging around $69.99 per month. The standard service fee, which you pay each time you make a claim, is $125.

The best way to get an exact price for a home warranty is to request a quote from the company, as pricing depends on the plan, any add-ons you choose and your home's size and location.

Liberty Home Guard FAQ

Where is Liberty Home Guard available?
The company currently offers plans in all states except California, Illinois, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Does Liberty Home Guard require a home inspection?
No, Liberty Home Guard doesn’t require a home inspection in order for you to purchase a home warranty. LHG also doesn’t require maintenance records.
Does Liberty Home Guard let me use my own contractor?
Sometimes, but the company suggests using one of its own contractors for repairs.
Does Liberty Home Guard have an age limit on what it will cover?
No, Liberty Home Guard doesn’t have an age limit for covered systems or appliances.
How long is Liberty Home Guard’s workmanship guarantee?
Liberty Home Guard has a 60-day workmanship guarantee. If an issue arises within 60 days after a repair, the company sends a contractor to fix the problem at no extra charge.
What is Liberty Home Guard’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel at any time. If you cancel within 30 days of enrolling, Liberty Home Guard provides a refund, minus any claims paid. After 30 days, you can still cancel and get a prorated refund. LHG charges a “small administrative overhead fee” for all cancellations.

Is Liberty Home Guard worth it?

Liberty Home Guard is worth it for some homeowners. First-time homebuyers appreciate the straightforward nature of the plans, the affordability and the convenience of no home inspection requirements. Several reviews describe the ease of working with the company, and we like that it lets you make a claim 24/7 online or by phone, shows your claim status online and backs repairs with a 60-day workmanship warranty.

Liberty Home Guard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Guard?

Original review: June 25, 2021

My latest issue with my Air Conditioning was immediately escalated, which I appreciated. The customer service rep Jonathan, told me that prioritization of AC claims in the summer is by design in their system. He told me that the founders are former military and intentionally designed the system to intelligently triage claims, especially when volume picks up. And I have to say that Liberty Home Guard’s approach really does seem methodologically rigorous based on my experience. It’s understandable to wait a couple weeks for a new garbage disposal but doing without an AC in the heat is just untenable. Even though AC replacements seem to be much more complex than replacing something straightforward like a garbage disposal.

Liberty Home Guard response

Millicent, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! We are always here to assist you!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We had never used a home warranty company before, and we were about a month and a half in with another home warranty company we went through. We had to wait for the 30 days with this other company and within one to two claims, they were shoddy with their customer service. It wasn't so much the claim by the time that was done, it was the callback to being able to contact somebody. It was terrible, so I wanted to look into other options. I looked at ConsumerAffairs first and I did more research with Liberty. I saw that they had good ratings and I was very pleased when I saw the reviews, so I chose them. I called on the phone and the application was super easy. Liberty has been a breath of fresh air to deal with. We have four properties that are insured by them and we’re very pleased.

I'm very satisfied with the plan. We've had three claims and the repair people have been superb. All of them have been first class. I never heard of one of them and when I researched them, they were 45 minutes away. I liked them, so I'm going to start using them for other services. There was also a plumbing company that's very reputable in our county that they had never used before. When we had a plumbing issue, Liberty called them and worked it out with them. Some businesses don't want to work with home warranty companies, but the plumber said that Liberty paid them upfront. The quality was very good.

Liberty Home Guard response

Kelli, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the plan. Welcome to Liberty Home Guard!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We just bought a house and we were looking at getting service. We thought of using American Home Shield, which we had previously. Then, looking at something on the web and doing comparisons, we came across Liberty Home Guard. There was some sort of comparison chart that showed a grading of home warranty services and based on that, we thought, “Well, we've had experience with American Home Shield for quite a few years.” We thought we’d try somebody different that seemed to grade out a little better.

We applied to Liberty Home Guard over the phone, which, as opposed to filling out paperwork or going to a website, was different. But it was okay. It was kinda difficult to make an informative decision without really being able to lay things out in front of oneself and kinda try to figure out which could be the best plan for our situation. I suppose it would have been helpful. They offer a discount but I wasn't thrilled to hear, “Well, you gotta buy it today or in the next 24 hours, or you lose this opportunity.” That kind of stuff doesn't get my attention very much.

One thing that I was a bit bothered was we had just barely moved into the house. I called on the 4th of October. We just signed the papers on the 25th of September. There is a 30-day period before the policy kicks in. I would have thought maybe there would have been something that would have been available. They said, “Well, you did buy this house. We do kick in sooner or whatever the case may be.” That weekend, before I knew whatever the problem was, we had a problem with pipes freezing. It was 65 to 70 degrees outside. It turned out there was a furnace that had to be replaced but because it's within that 30-day period of signing up, it couldn't be covered. That was a major expense. I was disappointed about that. So, hopefully, there won't be anything else going wrong. But if there's something major, I'm gonna be definitely using Liberty.

Liberty Home Guard response

Jeff, thank you for the high rating! Thank you for choosing Liberty Home Guard!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I spoke with a couple of different companies and the guy at Liberty Home Guard offered me a deal because we have multiple properties. I had a service request for an electrical issue and I called them on the phone. It was easy enough. They didn't have anyone in our area, so I had to find someone. I wasn't terribly surprised that they didn't have someone in our area because those particular properties are in a very small town. So, that wasn't unexpected. They did a great job of going ahead and covering it then and they did pay for it. I was satisfied with the way they did it.

Also, I liked the salesperson that I dealt with in the beginning really well. The young lady that helped me with the claim was okay. I did get irritated that they wanted me to send in some paperwork that said that I wasn't trying to rip them off. They were all new policies. I made sure that if something happens before the policy went into effect, I didn't bother calling. So then, the first time that I did call, I got, "Well, you need to fill this out and tell us you're not trying to take advantage."

That was pretty annoying. I almost canceled all the policies over that. Then, I noticed that my property management guy when he did a claim a few weeks later, he had to fill one out too. I was like, "Wow." They have a time limit, we abide by it, and then we still get clobbered with that. That's ridiculous. But that was really the only thing negative. Liberty Home Guard was as advertised. They did what they said they would do.

Liberty Home Guard response

Katie, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! We are always here to assist!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I went to a site that listed the top 10 home warranty companies. I've had Total Home, AHS and somebody else. I wasn't too happy with Total Home. The agent from the site advised me that AHS was a good company, but they had expanded too much and is unable to service everybody under the program. So, I went with Liberty based on that. I thought Liberty was gonna send me a contract but I looked it up online and read the contract and it's a typical contract. There are a lot of things that aren't covered. I understand that. The things that break are not covered, but that's universal to all the home warranty companies. I was just looking for something that covered major repairs. Liberty's price was not that good, but it was good enough for me to subscribe.

Total Home was 40 months for about 2000 and their deductible was only $45. The deductible I have now is 65, but I wasn't happy with Total Home because they would take your call on weekends, but they wouldn't provide service until weekdays. If I had an emergency like a well pump went out, I had to hire somebody to provide me with a new pump because Total Home doesn't provide service on weekends. I asked Liberty's agent and he said they provide service on the weekends.

The agent I spoke to at Liberty was Sam. The other company that I talked to was rated quite high, but they didn't call me for two days after I put in my inquiry for them to call me back. Liberty called me back right away. I ended up going with Liberty because Sam was knowledgeable. He was persuasive. He was a good salesman.

Liberty Home Guard response

Arthur, thank you for the high rating! Welcome to Liberty Home Guard!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Liberty Home Guard’s repairman was able to fix my dishwasher in three days. It did take him two trips because he needed to get the right part, but otherwise I’m happy with Liberty Home Guard’s service and platform. They also had a specialist follow up after the claim who explained to me how I could avoid this breakdown from happening again.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

We had a leak in our master bathroom, and all was handled timely and efficiently by Liberty and their plumber. We are very satisfied with the service we were provided. The plumber that came to service the issue had nothing but glaring things to say about them.

Liberty Home Guard response

Ernesto, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! Our customer service department is always here to assist you.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

The person that sold me the policy totally mislead me when I asked specifically about southwest tile roof leaks being covered. He stated that minor leaks were covered. I had 2 minor leaks and they were denied because the rep stated that 2 of the tiles had to be replaced. NOWHERE in the roofing company report did it state that ANY tiles needed to be replaced, simply that they would be set aside and re-used after the repair was done. Also, they charged me the usual fee when it was I who had to find a roofing company as they were unable to locate one for my home in the Phoenix metropolitan area.

This is a totally fraudulent company with terrible customer service people that are taught to tell you nothing but lies. The young man that sold me the policy also stated that high end appliances were also covered as I specifically asked; ie Thermador stove & refrigerator. When I received the written policy, it stated that they WERE NOT COVERED! I have never been able to reach him on the phone. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

STAY AWAY!!!! I called this company on August 12th to let them know that I had a roof leak and paid my fee to have somebody out here within 48 to 72 hours. It took 3 weeks for them to get somebody out to my house and they finally received the quote from the company on September 21st. Because it took so long for them to get somebody out here, my roof leak got worse and worse and I called every other day to confirm that they were going to be taking care of this because it's their problem because they didn't send somebody out here.

Now they tell me they were only going to give me $200 towards the roof leak which would have probably fixed it back in August but now it's $2,000 worth of repair. All they do is give you the runaround. They say they're going to call you everyday and give you an update and no one calls. You have to consistently call them to try and get any information. I called them every other day for the last 6 weeks trying to get information and no one knows anything. I am just totally disgusted with this company. This is even after I renewed for the second year and I can definitely tell you I will be canceling this insurance policy.

Don't waste your money with them. For repair that was supposed to been done in 72 hours and it takes 6 weeks for them to tell you that they're only going to give you $200 towards repair it's ridiculous. Someone needs to take care of this. I called and spoke to a Josh ** and who told me he was at the corporate office but he wasn't. Even he couldn't tell me the truth. Stated he would have a supervisor call and I doubt that's even going to happen. Enter at your own risk for this company!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Have called Liberty for issues with the HVAC and electrical. The tech was at my place the very next morning. Professional, friendly, wore a mask and was respectful. Happy with the service and coverage. Thanks, guys.

Liberty Home Guard response

Lorin, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! Our representatives are always here to assist you!

Liberty Home Guard Company Information