2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.20/5

Liberty Home Guard offers three flexible warranty plans with optional add-ons designed to fit the needs of every customer. Basic plans start at around $1 a day, and comprehensive coverage begins at $1.50 a day. The company writes its policies directly with an in-house underwriting team that can custom write plans to fit various situations. Customers can view policies and make payments through Liberty Home Guard’s online portal, and those who cancel within the first 30 days receive a full refund. The company is fully licensed and accredited in all of the states it operates in, and its claims department is open 24/7. Liberty Home Guard has a network of more than 10,000 licensed technicians.

BOTTOM LINE

Although most of Liberty Home Guard's plans are more than the advertised $1 a day, there are still budget-friendly options. Liberty Home Guard is a good choice for consumers new to home warranties.

PROS

• Straightforward plans
  • Convenient customer portal
  • Affordable options

CONS

• Not available in all states

Top Liberty Home Guard Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Guard?

My real estate agent purchased this warranty for me upon closing ... my agent said they use Liberty Home Guard for the majority of their houses. I can personally recommend this company after using their services on my electrical system. I told all my neighbors to give you guys a try, thanks a ton.

The sales rep Alex that signed me up was very informative and transparent. ... The other companies I spoke with just “yessed” me to death and told me everything would be covered. ... I went with Liberty because not only were their reviews above par, the sales rep was really knowledgeable.

Liberty Home Guard Call Now Toll Free (646) 453-6807 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is Liberty Home Guard?

Liberty Home Guard is a home warranty company with three plan options: One plan covers appliances, one covers systems and a third plan covers both systems and appliances. Liberty Home Guard is available in 42 states and Washington, D.C., and has 24/7 customer service and claims departments. The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on home warranty contracts.

Liberty Home Guard does not serve customers in California, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin or Wyoming.

Liberty Home Guard plans

Liberty Home Guard has three main plans: Appliance Guard, Systems Guard and Total Home Guard. Liberty Home Guard's warranties require a one-year contract.

Appliance Guard Plan
  • Air conditioning
  • Plumbing
  • Water heater
Total Home Guard Plan
The Total Home Guard Plan covers everything in both the Appliance Guard Plan and Systems Guard Plan.
Additional coverage
  • Trash compactor
  • Freestanding ice maker
  • In-fridge ice maker

Liberty Home Guard costs

Although Liberty Home Guard plans start at just $1 a day, most Liberty Home Guard plans cost, on average, between $400 and $600 a year. The most affordable plans in cheaper regions of the country cost as little as $350 a year, while more comprehensive plans cost as little as $550. A typical standard service fee, which you pay for each repair, ranges between $65 and $125, depending on the type of plan. The best way to get an exact price for a home warranty is to request a quote from the company, as pricing depends on the plan, additional options and your home's size and location.

Liberty Home Guard FAQ

Does Liberty Home Guard require a home inspection?
No, Liberty Home Guard doesn’t require a home inspection for home warranty customers. LHG also doesn’t require maintenance records.
Does Liberty Home Guard let me use my own contractor?
Sometimes, but the company suggests using one of its own contractors for quick repairs.
Does Liberty Home Guard have an age limit on what it will cover?
No, Liberty Home Guard doesn’t have an age limit for covered homes, systems or appliances.
How long is Liberty Home Guard’s workmanship guarantee?
Liberty Home Guard has a 60-day workmanship guarantee. If an issue arises within 60 days after a repair, the company sends an expert to fix the problem at no charge.

Is Liberty Home Guard worth it?

Liberty Home Guard is worth it for most homeowners. First-time homebuyers appreciate the straightforward nature of the plans, their affordability and the convenience of not needing a home inspection. Several consumer reviews describe the ease of working with LHG. Most plans are more expensive than $1 a day, but they are still largely affordable.

Liberty Home Guard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Guard?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We just bought a house and we were looking at getting service. We thought of using American Home Shield, which we had previously. Then, looking at something on the web and doing comparisons, we came across Liberty Home Guard. There was some sort of comparison chart that showed a grading of home warranty services and based on that, we thought, “Well, we've had experience with American Home Shield for quite a few years.” We thought we’d try somebody different that seemed to grade out a little better.

We applied to Liberty Home Guard over the phone, which, as opposed to filling out paperwork or going to a website, was different. But it was okay. It was kinda difficult to make an informative decision without really being able to lay things out in front of oneself and kinda try to figure out which could be the best plan for our situation. I suppose it would have been helpful. They offer a discount but I wasn't thrilled to hear, “Well, you gotta buy it today or in the next 24 hours, or you lose this opportunity.” That kind of stuff doesn't get my attention very much.

One thing that I was a bit bothered was we had just barely moved into the house. I called on the 4th of October. We just signed the papers on the 25th of September. There is a 30-day period before the policy kicks in. I would have thought maybe there would have been something that would have been available. They said, “Well, you did buy this house. We do kick in sooner or whatever the case may be.” That weekend, before I knew whatever the problem was, we had a problem with pipes freezing. It was 65 to 70 degrees outside. It turned out there was a furnace that had to be replaced but because it's within that 30-day period of signing up, it couldn't be covered. That was a major expense. I was disappointed about that. So, hopefully, there won't be anything else going wrong. But if there's something major, I'm gonna be definitely using Liberty.

Liberty Home Guard response

Jeff, thank you for the high rating! Thank you for choosing Liberty Home Guard!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I went to a site that listed the top 10 home warranty companies. I've had Total Home, AHS and somebody else. I wasn't too happy with Total Home. The agent from the site advised me that AHS was a good company, but they had expanded too much and is unable to service everybody under the program. So, I went with Liberty based on that. I thought Liberty was gonna send me a contract but I looked it up online and read the contract and it's a typical contract. There are a lot of things that aren't covered. I understand that. The things that break are not covered, but that's universal to all the home warranty companies. I was just looking for something that covered major repairs. Liberty's price was not that good, but it was good enough for me to subscribe.

Total Home was 40 months for about 2000 and their deductible was only $45. The deductible I have now is 65, but I wasn't happy with Total Home because they would take your call on weekends, but they wouldn't provide service until weekdays. If I had an emergency like a well pump went out, I had to hire somebody to provide me with a new pump because Total Home doesn't provide service on weekends. I asked Liberty's agent and he said they provide service on the weekends.

The agent I spoke to at Liberty was Sam. The other company that I talked to was rated quite high, but they didn't call me for two days after I put in my inquiry for them to call me back. Liberty called me back right away. I ended up going with Liberty because Sam was knowledgeable. He was persuasive. He was a good salesman.

Liberty Home Guard response

Arthur, thank you for the high rating! Welcome to Liberty Home Guard!

Original review: May 28, 2020

We’ve been in the house for five and a half years and ni the first two years, we had a home warranty. Then, we stopped because we were paying deductibles, and some things were covered, and some things weren’t. We decided that if there ever was a major repair, then, we just would cash flow it and we didn’t need the warranty. We weren’t sure if we were getting the value out of it.

In the last couple of years, we have had some pretty big expenses. My friend, a sales rep for a builder, has some real estate that he has by himself. He bought a couple of builder homes and rents them out. He said to always get a home warranty. He always does and he was giving me examples of how he has used it over the years. We had already been kind of thinking about it and that was enough so I said okay. He said maybe I didn’t have the right one. I asked which one he used. He said Liberty Home Guard and the next day, I signed up.

I went online but it just said, “This much extra per year to cover the pool.” I called customer service because I wanted to get some clarification on some of the upgrades on our pool equipment. I asked, "What’s covered? Is it just the equipment? What about plaster, or the drainage and plumbing pieces of it?” The rep gave me clarification. Then he upsold me but he also got me some discounts over multi-year deals.

Liberty Home Guard response

Gregg, thank you so much for the kind words! We are so happy you have entrusted us with your home. We are looking forward to providing you with excellent service in all your system and appliance needs.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I did a Google search on best home warranty companies and providers and Liberty Home Guard was in the top three. So, I called them for a quote. The application process was fairly easy. The coverage seemed fairly standard compared to what the other one I had previously worked with was. Our AC unit failed, and so I called them. They dispatched an AC certified technician company and they came out here and had it fixed within three days. They were Bona certified. They were a legitimate AC company, so they work with folks that had the qualifications, at least, so far that I've seen. I've actually called them four times since we moved in. We had some issues with the house and each time, it’s been a certified provider that came in.

When I first got Liberty, they seemed a little reluctant to dispatch someone. My second service call was a plumbing issue and they asked me to provide them a written statement saying that when I had bought the house, this issue wasn’t preexisting. It was kind of an unusual thing to have happened because I just bought the policy. It was six weeks in and there was a period of time where you wait before you’re allowed to make a call, which is fine. I called them. I thought it was a normal service call. It was a plumbing issue, and they had me fill out this long document. They wanted me to prove that this issue wasn’t preexisting when I had set the policy up.

It couldn’t have been. I didn’t own the house yet. I told them, "I could send to you the home inspection if you’d like to do it that way,” which showed that I have no knowledge of the issue because we had the home inspected. They said, “No, we just need this filled out.” So, I filled it out and I sent it to them. After that, they called me back and dispatched somebody to rectify the issue. But I’m sure in that industry, it’s difficult to ascertain. Some folks probably do try to take advantage. I’m not one of those people, but that can happen.

One of the dispatched companies that came here explained to me that they tend to find ways not to provide service versus providing service. They work with all the home warranty companies. The gentleman actually said, “Well, we’re gonna fix this for you. And normally, this would be covered under home warranty, but sometimes, your specific provider doesn’t say it is.” I asked how could that be. It was a pretty basic thing. They said, “Well, we just have to word it very carefully on the claim after the fact. Otherwise, they might not honor it. Well, just don’t worry about it. You’ll be fine, but you just wanna be mindful of them in the future.”

For $3,000, I bought a five-year policy with this company. So, I’m hoping that what that individual shared with me is not true. That was a little disheartening. But each time I’ve had an issue, they have gotten back to me and they have dispatched a service provider as the home warranty provides for, which is why I purchased it. But there are some oddities about it. When you call them, sometimes it goes through an answering service, and then the answering service will tell you that someone will call back. They may call back for a day. They claimed to have a website to put your claims in there, which should be far superior to calling, and it would offer tracking and everything else, but that doesn’t exist either, even though there is this thing that makes it look like you can, but you really can’t. So, it’s kind of weird.

The one I used to have, when I call, somebody answered every time, and they took copious notes. I was allowed to answer things online and track it there. There was a lot more accountability and trackability. I can tell that Liberty is young and new, and I can kinda tell that when I speak to their folks. They're sorta getting used to their own systems. They could be really good. They just need to mature a little bit. But other than that, they solved the problems within a reasonable amount of time.

Liberty Home Guard response

Gregory, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback! We are always happy to work with any and all customers to make sure the service is beneficial and up to standards. Our customer service portal was under maintenance in order to make it more customer friendly, and it is now up and running. In order to access your account please go on www.libertyhomeguard.com/customer-login/ and click on reset password. If you may need any assistance, please contact our customer service department and one of our wonderful claims specialists will be able to assist you. Once again, thank you for the kind and honest feedback. We are looking forward to providing you with excellent service in all your system and appliance needs.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I followed the link on a posting from Consumer Affairs and it took me to Liberty.Then they contacted me within minutes after I clicked on a few links. Looking at their coverage on their website, they seemed like a good deal. They also offered me a five-year plan for a very good rate, so I opted for that. Their customer service when I was going through the application process was very easy. My experience was excellent. The gentleman I talked to was not pushy. He answered all my questions. And then he asked a couple of questions that caught me off-guard. He said that they have discounts for both veterans and those who were in public service, and they applied those to the plan I selected. He kept finding ways to make it a little more affordable for me. So, I paid for the five-year plan upfront knowing that if I ever get unhappy, I can get a prorated refund, which was important.

My house is 12 years old and things may start to go apart. I have my HVAC checked twice a year by the same company and they’ve done it since the day I moved in -- once in the beginning of the summer, and once in the fall when the heater is going to get used. I have washers and dryers that I’ve changed belts and motors and things like that. I take care of my equipment very well. But I’m getting up there in years and right now I have a broken leg from a severe motorcycle accident. So, if something happened to any of my equipment, there is nothing I could do. So, Liberty seemed to be a good fit for me. If there is an issue, they either come and fix it, or give you money to replace a unit, which I thought was handy. When I read the contract, however, there are a lot of exceptions that I’m not thrilled with, as well. But, overall, I'd definitely give them a try. If their plan fits your needs, they would be my choice.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Liberty Home Guard is always quick to get a claim going when I call with an issue. I have been impressed with the professionalism of the technicians they have sent to my house. I have called for problems with the HVAC and electrical systems in my home and both times all went smoothly.

Liberty Home Guard response

Caleb, thank you for the kind words and high rating! We are always here to assist!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I had a great conversation with Sam who was the sales guy. He did a great job explaining the policy. I had been burned by several home warranties that were great at one thing which is collecting your payment. When it comes time to make a claim, it is finger-pointing. I told Sam that was my experience with other home warranty companies and he said, "We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. We have a very large network." He also talked about the pest control, gutter cleaning and roof leak checking and repair which sounded great. I don't need to be on a ladder getting leaves out of my gutter. I almost signed up for the three-year $3,000 plan but I thought to see what the reality is in the first year then we can renew it if it's a good experience.

I have some older equipment. I live in a house that was built in 1992. I've got an air conditioner that's 20 years old but it's working like a champ. I've got a washer and a dryer that are probably six years old. I had a hot water heater that hadn't had any issues but it was 13 years old. We had lived in the house for five years and I hadn't called someone out to service the hot water heater to de-scale it. The guy was talking about replacing units if there's a problem. I had other home warranties that cut corners and I asked if Liberty replaces kind for kind. He said they do. I bought the policy and nothing was asked about everything working in the house. Nothing was stated about a waiting period or them sending an inspector out to check everything. Everything in the house was working when I bought the policy.

About 15 days in, I wanted to get my pest control done and the leaves are falling here in South Carolina. I was excited to use my plan. I called in and they said my policy's not active for 31 days. 20 days later, the hot water heater went hot then bleeped out on cold and turned cold. It only happened once but I thought of getting it serviced. They said, "No, you mentioned your hot water heater in your call to your salesman. That's a pre-existing condition. We're not covering that." They sent a tech out who said "What I read on google is just that your igniter or your valve control is bad. I don't want to mess with it. It's above my pay grade." The caliber of people they're sending out is not good. If a guy shows up and tells you, "This is above my pay grade. Can I have the $75 anyway," that's red flag number one.

Liberty sent another guy who came out two days later. The company was One Call Plumbing and the guy didn't live up to the name. He said, "That unit is fried. I'm gonna recommend they replace it." I didn't buy a home warranty so I could get brand-new equipment. I did buy it because I have older equipment and it was time to start protecting the house. I got a nine-to-five job I got to take care of and this is why people get home warranties. I got a phone call and sure enough, that claim was denied. They said it's pre-existing though it's not. Red flag number two is when something happens, they don't want to pay.

I asked for a supervisor and they put a supervisor on. I said, "I really enjoyed talking with Sam. If you get a 31-day waiting period to protect your interest, I understand that but disclose that on the front end so everybody's on the same page. Be crystal clear about what the ground rules are." He said, "Sam does a great job for us. He's one of our more honest salesmen." He probably misspoke but to say that somebody is one of their more honest salesmen, what does that make the rest of their salesmen? Crooks and thieves? That was red flag number three.

He said, "I'll offer you $350." I said, "How about you give me my money back and I'll leave an honest review and we'll just go our separate ways?" He said, "That's extortion. You're threatening me with a negative review." I said, "No, sir. I'm not threatening you with a negative review. I'm saying that the way you treat people matters and my truth is valid. I've signed an affidavit stating I knew nothing about this and that everything was functioning when I purchased the policy. That is 100% true."

They said they were going to give me a refund. What's crazy is they sent me a refund but it was a gag order. Point-six in the clause was, "You can't leave a review." No wonder these guys got an A+ rating. If you put a gag order on anybody that's ever gonna say something negative about your company, it's easy to get an A+ rating. I really want the home warranty. I'm really bummed because if I could hit the reset button on this thing, I would undispute the charges and would tell them, "I went down there yesterday and tinkered with the hot water heater. It's working again." But they're sending people that don't know what they're doing and it's gotten so messy at this point.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

My garage door wouldn't go up and down. It took about a week for Liberty to fix it but the technician fully addressed the problem and replaced it with a new one. I also have a current claim for a dryer and a tech is supposed to come out tomorrow. Overall, Liberty has been doing fine. Things just take a bit longer than I would have hoped.

Liberty Home Guard response

John, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! We are always here to assist!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

We have been delighted over the years with LHG. They have been very easy to talk to and place claims with. They send quality technicians, who always arrive on time and are real professionals. Thank you for the peace of mind.

Liberty Home Guard response

Tori, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! We are pleased to hear that we are able to properly assist you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

It took me minutes to get an appointment set up with a contractor through Liberty Home Guard. The contractor arrived early and the repair work on my oven was done in less than 30 minutes. Amazing service.

Liberty Home Guard response

Lenny, thank you for the kind words. We are always here to help!

Liberty Home Guard Company Information