2. Homeowners

4.3/5 (106 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Liberty Home Guard

Liberty Home Guard is a home warranty company with flexible plans and optional add-on coverage. Customers can file claims, view claim status, renew and upgrade policies and update payment information using Liberty Home Guard’s online portal. Repairs come with a 60-day warranty. Plans are available in 45 states plus Washington, D.C.

Pros

• Straightforward plans
    • Convenient customer portal
    • Affordable options
    • Flexible contract terms

Cons

• Not available in all states
    • Some report claim denials

Bottom Line

Liberty Home Guard has a vast network of licensed technicians. Contracts have some limitations, but there’s no limit to the number of repairs or replacements. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Top Liberty Home Guard Reviews

Verified

Love that they are cheap, that they include already diagnosed issues and offered discounts for multiple years to include free roof repairs. They also offered free waived copays fo...

Verified

Liberty Home Guard plans

Liberty Home Guard offers three home warranty plans. One plan covers appliances, one covers systems and the third covers both systems and appliances. You can purchase a month-to-month, annual or multiyear policy. New customers can start requesting service after 30 or 60 days, depending on the contract terms. You can purchase these plans regardless of the age of your systems and appliances; no home inspection is required.

Systems Guard plan

The Systems Guard plan protects some of the most important systems in your home:

• Air conditioning

• Electrical
    • Water heaters
    • Garbage disposals
    Additional coverage

Some of the available add-on coverage options from LHG include:

• Limited roof leak
    • Central vacuum
    • Lighting fixtures
    • Plumbing fixtures

Liberty Home Guard cost

Liberty Home Guard plans start at around $30 per month. Comprehensive coverage costs a little more, starting at around $45 per month. Most plans cost, on average, between $400 and $600 a year. The most affordable plans cost as little as $350 a year, while more comprehensive plans cost as little as $550. A typical standard service fee, which you pay each time you make a claim, ranges between $65 and $125, depending on the plan.

Although Liberty Home Guard advertises that its plans start at just $1 a day, most contracts cost more. The best way to get an exact price for a home warranty is to request a quote from the company, as pricing depends on the plan, any add-ons you choose and your home's size and location.

Liberty Home Guard FAQ

Where is Liberty Home Guard available?
    The company currently offers plans in all states except California, Illinois, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
    Does Liberty Home Guard require a home inspection?
    No, Liberty Home Guard doesn’t require a home inspection in order for you to purchase a home warranty. LHG also doesn’t require maintenance records.
    Does Liberty Home Guard let me use my own contractor?
    Sometimes, but the company suggests using one of its own contractors for repairs.
    Does Liberty Home Guard have an age limit on what it will cover?
    No, Liberty Home Guard doesn’t have an age limit for covered systems or appliances.
    How long is Liberty Home Guard’s workmanship guarantee?
    Liberty Home Guard has a 60-day workmanship guarantee. If an issue arises within 60 days after a repair, the company sends a contractor to fix the problem at no extra charge.
    What is Liberty Home Guard’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel at any time. If you cancel within 30 days of enrolling, Liberty Home Guard provides a refund, minus any claims paid. After 30 days, you can still cancel and get a prorated refund. LHG charges a “small administrative overhead fee” for all cancellations.

Is Liberty Home Guard worth it?

Liberty Home Guard is worth it for some homeowners. First-time homebuyers appreciate the straightforward nature of the plans, the affordability and the convenience of no home inspection requirements. Several reviews describe the ease of working with the company, and we like that it lets you make a claim 24/7 online or by phone, shows your claim status online and backs repairs with a 60-day workmanship warranty.

Liberty Home Guard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Home Guard?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We had never used a home warranty company before, and we were about a month and a half in with another home warranty company we went through. We had to wait for the 30 days with this other company and within one to two claims, they were shoddy with their customer service. It wasn't so much the claim by the time that was done, it was the callback to being able to contact somebody. It was terrible, so I wanted to look into other options. I looked at ConsumerAffairs first and I did more research with Liberty. I saw that they had good ratings and I was very pleased when I saw the reviews, so I chose them. I called on the phone and the application was super easy. Liberty has been a breath of fresh air to deal with. We have four properties that are insured by them and we’re very pleased.

I'm very satisfied with the plan. We've had three claims and the repair people have been superb. All of them have been first class. I never heard of one of them and when I researched them, they were 45 minutes away. I liked them, so I'm going to start using them for other services. There was also a plumbing company that's very reputable in our county that they had never used before. When we had a plumbing issue, Liberty called them and worked it out with them. Some businesses don't want to work with home warranty companies, but the plumber said that Liberty paid them upfront. The quality was very good.

Liberty Home Guard response

Kelli, thank you for the kind words and the high rating! We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the plan. Welcome to Liberty Home Guard!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

We just bought a house and we were looking at getting service. We thought of using American Home Shield, which we had previously. Then, looking at something on the web and doing comparisons, we came across Liberty Home Guard. There was some sort of comparison chart that showed a grading of home warranty services and based on that, we thought, “Well, we've had experience with American Home Shield for quite a few years.” We thought we’d try somebody different that seemed to grade out a little better.

We applied to Liberty Home Guard over the phone, which, as opposed to filling out paperwork or going to a website, was different. But it was okay. It was kinda difficult to make an informative decision without really being able to lay things out in front of oneself and kinda try to figure out which could be the best plan for our situation. I suppose it would have been helpful. They offer a discount but I wasn't thrilled to hear, “Well, you gotta buy it today or in the next 24 hours, or you lose this opportunity.” That kind of stuff doesn't get my attention very much.

One thing that I was a bit bothered was we had just barely moved into the house. I called on the 4th of October. We just signed the papers on the 25th of September. There is a 30-day period before the policy kicks in. I would have thought maybe there would have been something that would have been available. They said, “Well, you did buy this house. We do kick in sooner or whatever the case may be.” That weekend, before I knew whatever the problem was, we had a problem with pipes freezing. It was 65 to 70 degrees outside. It turned out there was a furnace that had to be replaced but because it's within that 30-day period of signing up, it couldn't be covered. That was a major expense. I was disappointed about that. So, hopefully, there won't be anything else going wrong. But if there's something major, I'm gonna be definitely using Liberty.

Liberty Home Guard response

Jeff, thank you for the high rating! Thank you for choosing Liberty Home Guard!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I went to a site that listed the top 10 home warranty companies. I've had Total Home, AHS and somebody else. I wasn't too happy with Total Home. The agent from the site advised me that AHS was a good company, but they had expanded too much and is unable to service everybody under the program. So, I went with Liberty based on that. I thought Liberty was gonna send me a contract but I looked it up online and read the contract and it's a typical contract. There are a lot of things that aren't covered. I understand that. The things that break are not covered, but that's universal to all the home warranty companies. I was just looking for something that covered major repairs. Liberty's price was not that good, but it was good enough for me to subscribe.

Total Home was 40 months for about 2000 and their deductible was only $45. The deductible I have now is 65, but I wasn't happy with Total Home because they would take your call on weekends, but they wouldn't provide service until weekdays. If I had an emergency like a well pump went out, I had to hire somebody to provide me with a new pump because Total Home doesn't provide service on weekends. I asked Liberty's agent and he said they provide service on the weekends.

The agent I spoke to at Liberty was Sam. The other company that I talked to was rated quite high, but they didn't call me for two days after I put in my inquiry for them to call me back. Liberty called me back right away. I ended up going with Liberty because Sam was knowledgeable. He was persuasive. He was a good salesman.

Liberty Home Guard response

Arthur, thank you for the high rating! Welcome to Liberty Home Guard!

Original review: May 28, 2020

We’ve been in the house for five and a half years and ni the first two years, we had a home warranty. Then, we stopped because we were paying deductibles, and some things were covered, and some things weren’t. We decided that if there ever was a major repair, then, we just would cash flow it and we didn’t need the warranty. We weren’t sure if we were getting the value out of it.

In the last couple of years, we have had some pretty big expenses. My friend, a sales rep for a builder, has some real estate that he has by himself. He bought a couple of builder homes and rents them out. He said to always get a home warranty. He always does and he was giving me examples of how he has used it over the years. We had already been kind of thinking about it and that was enough so I said okay. He said maybe I didn’t have the right one. I asked which one he used. He said Liberty Home Guard and the next day, I signed up.

I went online but it just said, “This much extra per year to cover the pool.” I called customer service because I wanted to get some clarification on some of the upgrades on our pool equipment. I asked, "What’s covered? Is it just the equipment? What about plaster, or the drainage and plumbing pieces of it?” The rep gave me clarification. Then he upsold me but he also got me some discounts over multi-year deals.

Liberty Home Guard response

Gregg, thank you so much for the kind words! We are so happy you have entrusted us with your home. We are looking forward to providing you with excellent service in all your system and appliance needs.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I did a Google search on best home warranty companies and providers and Liberty Home Guard was in the top three. So, I called them for a quote. The application process was fairly easy. The coverage seemed fairly standard compared to what the other one I had previously worked with was. Our AC unit failed, and so I called them. They dispatched an AC certified technician company and they came out here and had it fixed within three days. They were Bona certified. They were a legitimate AC company, so they work with folks that had the qualifications, at least, so far that I've seen. I've actually called them four times since we moved in. We had some issues with the house and each time, it’s been a certified provider that came in.

When I first got Liberty, they seemed a little reluctant to dispatch someone. My second service call was a plumbing issue and they asked me to provide them a written statement saying that when I had bought the house, this issue wasn’t preexisting. It was kind of an unusual thing to have happened because I just bought the policy. It was six weeks in and there was a period of time where you wait before you’re allowed to make a call, which is fine. I called them. I thought it was a normal service call. It was a plumbing issue, and they had me fill out this long document. They wanted me to prove that this issue wasn’t preexisting when I had set the policy up.

It couldn’t have been. I didn’t own the house yet. I told them, "I could send to you the home inspection if you’d like to do it that way,” which showed that I have no knowledge of the issue because we had the home inspected. They said, “No, we just need this filled out.” So, I filled it out and I sent it to them. After that, they called me back and dispatched somebody to rectify the issue. But I’m sure in that industry, it’s difficult to ascertain. Some folks probably do try to take advantage. I’m not one of those people, but that can happen.

One of the dispatched companies that came here explained to me that they tend to find ways not to provide service versus providing service. They work with all the home warranty companies. The gentleman actually said, “Well, we’re gonna fix this for you. And normally, this would be covered under home warranty, but sometimes, your specific provider doesn’t say it is.” I asked how could that be. It was a pretty basic thing. They said, “Well, we just have to word it very carefully on the claim after the fact. Otherwise, they might not honor it. Well, just don’t worry about it. You’ll be fine, but you just wanna be mindful of them in the future.”

For $3,000, I bought a five-year policy with this company. So, I’m hoping that what that individual shared with me is not true. That was a little disheartening. But each time I’ve had an issue, they have gotten back to me and they have dispatched a service provider as the home warranty provides for, which is why I purchased it. But there are some oddities about it. When you call them, sometimes it goes through an answering service, and then the answering service will tell you that someone will call back. They may call back for a day. They claimed to have a website to put your claims in there, which should be far superior to calling, and it would offer tracking and everything else, but that doesn’t exist either, even though there is this thing that makes it look like you can, but you really can’t. So, it’s kind of weird.

The one I used to have, when I call, somebody answered every time, and they took copious notes. I was allowed to answer things online and track it there. There was a lot more accountability and trackability. I can tell that Liberty is young and new, and I can kinda tell that when I speak to their folks. They're sorta getting used to their own systems. They could be really good. They just need to mature a little bit. But other than that, they solved the problems within a reasonable amount of time.

Liberty Home Guard response

Gregory, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback! We are always happy to work with any and all customers to make sure the service is beneficial and up to standards. Our customer service portal was under maintenance in order to make it more customer friendly, and it is now up and running. In order to access your account please go on www.libertyhomeguard.com/customer-login/ and click on reset password. If you may need any assistance, please contact our customer service department and one of our wonderful claims specialists will be able to assist you. Once again, thank you for the kind and honest feedback. We are looking forward to providing you with excellent service in all your system and appliance needs.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

After calling Liberty Home Guard, my claim for my garbage disposal was immediately assigned for a replacement. They decided to save me on the hassle of waiting for a technician, and they just shipped the replacement directly to us. The technician they found to install the new disposal did a great job! I definitely recommend LHG and their service!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

Liberty Home is the worst. Absolutely the worst company I've ever dealt with in my life. I've been in customer service for forty years and have NEVER been treated this way. They have no integrity. They lie and put you off, never responding to your concerns. I call them regarding my range issue in September, they promised my 86 year old MOM that they would fix it before the holidays. After November I contacted them of which resulted in a lie, they got back to me in December indicating they could NOT find the part, therefore offering me 200. Dollars as my unit was too old. (10) years. I became so frustrated and was then offered a replacement for about 1400.00 dollars. I became so angry ???? I simply asked for the two hundred dollars they then wanted a receipt, my blood pressure exploded. Only after threatening to go live on a review did they back off.

10 days later I received a check with no signature name other than Liberty. This company is a con job, if you value your money and mental state stay away from THESE hypocrites and thrives. They provide no senior manager ever to resolve your issues. I've would never recommend them to anyone except to tell THEM how bad they are. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

Tito's Appliance Westchester LLC recommends any home owner to get Home Insurance with Liberty Home Guards. It is the best company in the Home Warrantee field. Their system is Technician/Customer friendly. Mr. Ryan ** from Customer Services is one of the best Agents is very helpful and friendly.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Liberty Home Guard really came through this time just like they have before. I've had to make several claims over the years, and they have consistently come through helping me out. Will use them for my next house purchase which is happening in 45 days or so.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I am so very pleased of how Jack helped me out in every which way. He went beyond what he had to do and showed me and let me know about everything so thank you very much Jack. Even though it took me a while to get back to him on my part he knew exactly who I was and everyone there that also answer the phone was very good also.

Liberty Home Guard Company Information