4.77/5
Based on 284 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Residential Warranty provides homeowners with service contracts that cover repairs or replacements. We have partnered with The Warranty Group to ensure outstanding coverage and customizable home protection.

We know how important it is to have your appliances, electronics and systems covered in case something happens. American Residential Warranty has four home warranty plans and a three-in-one bundle to fit all your needs. Call us today to learn more!

American Residential Warranty Video
American Residential Warranty Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 25, 2018

489 American Residential Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 25, 2018

Called in problem w/ refrigerator. They sent a repairman out to the house a couple of days later. He diagnosed the problem and ordered the part. A couple days later he came back, installed the part and got the refrigerator working. The repairman was very nice and professional.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The work was done, but the work order took forever. Almost 2 weeks to get to the people that were suppose to come and fix it. But it got done. It was a garbage disposal that needed it fixing. It was broken and now it works like a charm.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have been with American Residential Warranty for about 2 or 3 months and they have helped me out when I need it. They got my washer fixed and got a new refrigerator in a timely manner for me. I am very happy with my experience with them. Even called back to see how it was working and I think that was nice of them to do that.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I was almost panicking. American Residential took over. I had no more worries. Thank you. I'm able to get back to work. I really do mean it seem like a commercial. I have had the pleasure to have spoken with great people. They would wish me well before disconnecting.

Barbara,
Thank you for sharing about the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are glad we were able to takeover, put you at ease, and resolve the issue. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for you home.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My experience with American Residential Experience was top of the line. Everything was on schedule like they promised. They stayed in contact with me until our business was consummated. They explained where my product was coming from, and the time of arrival. In my opinion, everyone was prompt in the completion of my claim. My claim was promised a solution in a matter of weeks (3) I believe. My replacement washer arrived on time, and I was given a choice, a day before arrival, to chose between two washers. Thank you for promptness in handling my claim.

Hi Percy,
We are very pleased that we were able to resolve the breakdown you had by providing a brand new washing machine. Thank you for taking the time to share the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. Anytime there is anything we can do, please do not hesitate to call and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for you home.

American Residential Warranty

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Residential Warranty?

Original review: April 21, 2018

I called & reported a problem with my dishwasher. The next day a service man came and diagnosed the problem. This was a friday & by the following thursday it was in full operation. I am very happy with my experience and thankful that I had the coverage.

Peggy,
Thank your for taking the time to review the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. We are very pleased we were able to get your dishwasher back up and running so quickly and that you were able to rate the overall experience with 5 stars. Please do not hesitate to call us for any of your home warranty needs and we look forward to providing continued protection for your home.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have called several times about various appliances that was broken and also my garage door. And I got the help I need it each time that I have called. Within the same week that I called my appliances were fixed.

Yvonne,
Thank you for taking the time to leave valuable feedback about the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. We are glad we were able to provide a great overall experience for all of your service requests. Please do not hesitate to call us with any of your home warranty needs and we look forward to providing continued protection for your home.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have been a customer with this company for approximately 3 months and had one service in my home that was acceptable. Recently, I had an electrical problem; an electrician was sent out, but the problem was not rectified. I was told yesterday, by a representative in the corporate office that they would send someone back out to re-check the problem. Today, I received a phone call from another representative, from the corporate office and was informed that they were not going to send out an electrician to re-check my problem, because after 1 visit (cost was $1.69.00), I had just about reached my electrical quota ($300.00) and they could not afford to send out another electrician. We all know that electrical service work can be pricey.

This company states that they are not concerned (as long as there are no pre-existing problems) with the condition of your appliances, AC units, etc., they would cover it, but yet they have an extremely low quota allowance, which can possibly be reached after 1 claim. I would still have to pay my monthly payment of $95.00, but would not be able to put in another electrical claim. This is a "rip off" and I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with this company. I would STRONGLY advise anyone who is interested in using this company to make sure you have them to outline every detail of your plan with you before you make a decision to use them. I should have followed my first mind and used another warranty company!!!

Shernel,
We are very sorry about the experience you have had. A customer support representative will be reaching out shortly to try to find an agreeable resolution.

Original review: April 20, 2018

They have been Excellent Company for me. Been valued customer for years. Love this company. They are respectful a great support team. I'll always be with company. I have recommend this company to my family and friends Quick services provided help on spot service. Very good to my family needs. That's all I have to say now. Thank you American Residential Warranty Company.

Hello Faye,
Thank you for taking the time to review the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are very pleased that you were able to rate the experience as 5 stars and thank you for recommending us to your friends. If you need anything please do not hesitate to call us anytime. We look forward to providing continued protection for your home.

Original review: April 19, 2018

The service was great and the servers are always pleasant and respectful. I would definitely recommend to family and friends. Great service and great company. I have nothing bad. Thanks American Residential Warranty for a job well done. Washing machine works great.

Hello Lisa,
We are very pleased that your experience with American Residential Warranty has gone so well and thank you for rating us with 5 stars. We are glad you like the new washing machine that we provided. Please do not hesitate to call us for any of your future home warranty needs and we look forward to continuing to provide you with great service.

Original review: April 19, 2018

The service provided was fast and accurate. This is a great service that helps keeps expensive repairs down. They find the repair company which is also an added bonus. The customer service representatives are efficient and quick. The entire experience is easy. The repair company was very customer service friendly as well.

Hi Terri,
Thank you for taking the time to review the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We appreciate the feedback and are glad that we were able to provide a great experience. As always, please do not hesitate to call us anytime and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for your home.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: April 18, 2018

The repair men did a good job as far that I know, they was very professional, and I would recommend American Residential to my friends. They found the repair men for my heating problem, and my repair problem was taken care of.

Hi Susie,
We appreciate you taking the time provide feedback about the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. We are glad that we were able get your heat back up in working and thank you for recommending us to your friends. Anytime you needs us, please do not hesitate to call and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for your home.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am a fairly new customer, but has not been 100% satisfied with this company. There seems to not be enough service providers in my area, which results in me having to either wait longer for appointments or get someone that I’m not totally satisfied with.

Shernel,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us valuable feedback about the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. In the rare occurrence that we do not have a technician immediately available, our contractor relations department will begin searching for licensed and insured technician to service your claim. We also provide our customers the option to use their own technicians for covered repairs and be promptly reimbursed.
A customer service representative will be reaching out to you shortly to discuss this matter and determine how we can better serve you. Again thank you for bringing this to out attention.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The people was great. Nice technicians and response time was great. I am glad that I joined the group. Will recommend to my friends and foes. Glad I am a part of this group. Saved me a lot of money. Problem solved.

Lee,
We appreciate you taking the time to review the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty and for recommending us to friends. As always, please do not hesitate to call us for any of your home warranty needs and we look forward to providing continued protection for your home.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I called customer service to place a claim on my refrigerator and dishwasher. They were very knowledgeable and courteous. They set my appointment up and got me to Sears service center and the next day were out here to repair my appliances. All went as great as it could go. I’m very happy with my American Residential Warranty and would highly recommend to my family and friends. Thank you to American Residential Warranty company.

Frank,
Thank you very much for taking the time share the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. We are very pleased that we were able to provide great results on the dishwasher and refrigerator service requests. We appreciate you recommending us to family and friends. Please do not hesitate to call us anytime for any of your home warranty needs and we look forward to providing continued protection for you, your family, and friends.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The help was so fast and efficient and great job. Got here on time and also called before coming. Polite and helpful, needed no help and worked in small area. The work was done quietly and quickly and very polite gentlemen.

Hi Maureen,
Thank you for taking the time to review the experience that you had with American Residential Warranty. We are glad that we were able to get your service request handled quickly and professionally. If there is anything else we can help you with please do not hesitate to call us and we look forward to providing continued protection for you home.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The service was great. Was here when he said he would be but takes too long to get the parts for what the service was for. I also need a few other things fixed and hopefully we'll get them done in good time.

Christopher,
Thank you for taking the time to leave valuable feedback about the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are pleased that you received great service. Please feel free to call us anytime for your additional service request and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for your home.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: April 14, 2018

Great job, came to my aid sooner than expected with the right part. Happy wife happy life! I have had American Residential Warranty for over 10 years and they have saved my bacon at least 6 or more times, once being my home AC unit. Thanks for being so prompt.

Gary,
Thank you for sharing about the experience you had with American Residential Warranty. We are pleased we were able to provide you with great service. Please do not hesitate to call us if there is anything else we can assist you with and we look forwarding to continuing to provide great service for all of your home warranty needs.

Original review: April 13, 2018

We contacted American Home Warranty for a washer issue, the representative were extremely helpful and friendly and assigned a technician that was amazing. The technician fixed the problems with ease and was excellent while providing advice and guidance to keep the washer fully functional and operating. Amazing service.

Joyce,
Thank your for taking the time to leave feedback on the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are very glad to hear that we were able to get the washer back up and running. If there is anything else we can do please do not hesitate to call us anytime and we look forward to providing continued protection for your home.

Original review: April 13, 2018

My experience with ARW is very positive. The agents are friendly and professional and act with speed in getting your problem resolved. I have had two systems replaced with no hassle. The prices are reasonable and I am very satisfied with quality of service I have received. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a home warranty company.

Terri,
Thank your for reviewing the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty and we appreciate you recommending our services to others. We are pleased we were able to get two of your systems replaced, hassle free. We are always happy to help so please do not hesitate to call us anytime and we look forward to continuing to provide great service for all your home warranty needs.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I did research (on this site, Consumer Affairs) and determined that American Residential would be a company I could trust. One month later, after committing a 1-year subscription (to show my good faith and commitment). I purchased the Platinum Premier with the Deluxe Advantage add-on. On Day-31 (after the required 30-day wait period) I submitted a claim (for sewage odor in my home), and they immediately denied it without any effort to investigate. Told me that if there was no evidence of sewage clogs or blockage, then it's not a plumbing issue. They told me I had to pay for my own licensed/insured plumber to diagnose it as a plumbing issue.

I followed their direction, I even called to see if it had to be a specific 'network or contracted' plumber. They said "just a licensed and insured plumber in my state". The plumber came out, investigated, and confirmed the odor, that it's common to manifest overnight. He suggested the most cost-effective way to pinpoint odor sources, is to perform a smoke test. He suggested that the most common reasons are toilet wax-ring seals and clean-out cap seals. So I sent that invoice to American Residential, and they denied it immediately again... Citing it as "not a mechanical issue" AND pre-existing due to the timing of the claim being opened.

They wouldn't contact me about what is meant by "a mechanical issue". Nor would they contact me to explain why, after waiting the required 30-days (that they charge you for, but restrict you from opening any claims), they say it's pre-existing and too soon after the policy goes active. Rather than work with THEIR customer, they hire a 3rd-party claims management company to deal the bad news to the customer. So I was getting the run-around to get to any 'management-level' personnel at American Residential.

So I canceled my policy and as I predicted they tried to charge me for TWO months of 'service'. AHHH, that's the "American Dream" by "American Residential" standards. Charge people for a service, and give nothing in return, then charge them for the inconvenience they caused your company. After complaining, they 'graciously' extended me the courtesy of only 1-month charge of service. You know, that 30-day period where you aren't allowed to open any claims (i.e. You get no service).

Granted, they explain up-front about the 30-day policy, so that's no surprise. But when a customer accepts that, AND extends the good faith of a 1-year commitment policy payment, then don't harass them when they open a claim on the 31st day. And accuse them of pre-existing conditions. Below is more detail regarding my claim. (Sewage odor in the home, but no evidence of cloggage or backup). American Residential's Plumbing Advantage leads a consumer to believe that wax seals on toilets are covered. Implying that the basic plumbing coverage does NOT cover it, but with the Plumbing Advantage, you get “peace of mind” that it does cover wax seals. Yet they told me that "sealing of wax rings" are not covered, only "wax seals on toilets". Warn your plumbers of the exact terminology that American Residential requires.

American Residential should remove this misleading verbiage from their advertising. Regarding Clean-outs (caps/covers): Most plumbing professionals agree that clean-outs are normal (some say ‘integral’) parts of a standard plumbing system. Your Platinum Premier states it covers the “Plumbing System”. The licensed/insured plumber that looked at my issue, even stated that the ‘gold and platinum’ level policies that he’s worked with (with other warranty companies), have covered these items. I will be asking him which companies those are, as it appears that American Residential is not one of them.

Many modern homes are built with in-house cleanouts for more access points… This is a good thing for maintenance and cost. Again, if American Residential doesn’t cover basic components of the plumbing system, they should further clarify that their Platinum Premier w/ Plumbing Advantage, does NOT cover basic components of the plumbing system, such as seals on clean-outs. I am not a 'high-maintenance' consumer by any means. I feel like I'm pretty honest and reasonable. This situation with American Residential was quite disappointing.

ONE POSITIVE NOTE, the 'corporate office' service representative that I worked with, was SUPER courteous and patient with me. She did all in her limited power to plead my case. When I was trying to cancel my policy, she convinced me to let her try and advocate on my behalf. Unfortunately, they weren't open to their own employee's opinion of the situation. She deserves a better company to work for... One that is on her level of character and integrity.

Albert,

We have tried to reach out regarding this matter, but have been unable to make contact with you. Our adjusters have reviewed the claims that you filed on 4/6/2018 and unfortunately the reported failures have been deemed pre-existing conditions. This means that the issues began prior to your effective date of 4/5/2018.

We are very sorry that you are not satisfied with the outcome of this service request, but we cannot cover pre-existing conditions. Normally you would be due a pro-rated refund, but we have made the exception to refund your full annual payment including your one time application fee.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have been with American Warranty for 7 years. There has not been a claim that American warranty has not paid. Their speedy response to service requests and smooth claims experience helps relieve the stresses of household repairs. Their followup to ensure repairs were completed accurately is great.

April,
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are glad we have been able to provide a great service experience and thank you for being a long time customer. As always, please do not hesitate to call us anytime for all of your home warranty needs. We look forward to providing continued protection for you home.

Original review: April 12, 2018

They have been, as always a wonderful experience to deal with. I have been very happy to deal with the friendly customer support team. They always call you back when they say they will. The service with the contractors is great.

Marcus,
Thank you for taking the time to share about the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are glad you are pleased with the service. As always, please do not hesitate to call us anytime and we look forward to providing continued coverage for your home.

Original review: April 12, 2018

The warranty associate was very polite and as helpful as could be. She returned calls as promised and suggested positive options. Would recommend your company to anyone who needs a home warranty for belongings whether moving into a new home or keeping up an older one.

Mary,
Thank you for taking the time to review the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty and for recommending our services. We have great team of customer care agents and we appreciate you acknowledging their hard work. Please do not hesitate to call us anytime and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for you home.

Original review: April 11, 2018

True story. I saw the commercial so many time so one time I watch the commercial so I call and the salesman explained everything to me the way that I thought that it was too good to be true because I been tricked (fraud) so many time that I didn't trust anyone. But I'm so glad I signed up because my oven went out and they send someone to fix it without red tape so thank you. You're better than any homeowners Insurance.

Ellen,
We appreciate you taking the time to share about the experience you have with American Residential Warranty. We are very pleased to hear that the oven repair went well and you are glad to have signed up for our services. As always, please do not hesitate to call us anytime and we look forward to being ready to serve you anytime you needs us.

Original review: April 11, 2018

We needed our dryer repaired or replaced. The technician came out and did an awesome job. We saved money by having this great service. If we didn't have this service, we would have been forced to spend much more money replacing an appliance that simply needed to be fixed. I highly recommend American Residential Warranty services.

Tynese,
Thank you for taking the time to share about the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are glad we were able to save you money by repairing your dryer and thank you for recommending our services. Please do not hesitate to call us for any of your home warranty needs and we look forward to providing continued protection for your home.

Original review: April 11, 2018

When I purchased my home (new) in 2009 the Kenmore Microwave came with the house. Since 2014 I have had problems with the settings/panel... I have had it replaced 3 times and each time I called American Residential would send someone out. They would order the part, come back and replace the part. They were always courteous, and friendly. They worked with my husband and myself about times they could come out to fix the microwave. They never inconvenienced us. I appreciate American Residential Warranty company.

Katheryn,
We are very pleased that we have been able to take care of your microwave over the years and thank you for sharing about the service you have experienced from American Residential Warranty. We appreciate your long-time business and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for you home. Please do not hesitate to call us anytime regarding any of your home warranty needs.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Very dependable and responsive when you call. They are quick to respond to your questions, give a detailed description, ask for any more concerns that you might have. If you're not satisfied they will work with you and for you until everything is to your satisfaction.

Vanessa,
We very much appreciate you taking the time to review the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. Please call us anytime and we look forward to continuing to provide warranty services for your home.

Original review: April 10, 2018

It's difficult to rate my overall experience because of where I live in the desert. In home appliance repairs have been ok but things like the a/c unit outside have not. In the future please do not send ARGO A/C repair here, they are the worst. I guess I would rate you a solid 7+.

Michael,
We appreciate you taking the time to leave valuable feedback about the experience your have had with American Residential Warranty. American Residential Warranty does allow you to choose your own technicians, so there is no problem with using another provider in the future. Please do not hesitate to call us anytime for your home warranty needs and we look forward to continuing to provide protection for your home.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I am so pleased with American Residential Warranty that I will refer them to all my families and friends. They are reliable and dependable and I can stand by my words that their services are good. Don't matter who you are, where you are, they will be there at the time they give you. My experience with them is my testimony. Even my unbelieving husband has to say he now believe that this company is reliable.

Anesta,
Thank you for taking the time to share about the experience you have had with American Residential Warranty. We are very pleased that you will be recommending us to friends and that your husband is now a believer. Please do not hesitate to call on us anytime for any of your home warranty needs. We look forward to continuing to serve you moving forward.

American Residential Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

American Residential Warranty (ARW) sells home warranties, home security systems and more to give homeowners piece of mind about paying for costly repairs or damage. The company serves all 50 states and is headquartered in Florida.

• Plan options: ARW offers multiple plan options so homeowners can choose the coverage that they want. The company offers additional plans to cover electronics and add-ons to covers things like faucets or external plumbing.

• Contractor choose: Homeowners can choose the contractor or repairman who they want to work with. They do not have to use a professional selected by ARW.

• Home security: ARW offers home security systems and plans to help homeowners feel safe and secure. Packages include free installation and free activation.

• No contract: Homeowners who choose an ARW home warranty are not locked in to a long-term contract. They can cancel their coverage at any time.

• Special discounts: ARW offers several types of special discounts for new customers. Homeowners can receive discounts for bundling multiple services, buying their plan online, paying in yearly or quarterly timeframes and more.

• Best for: first-time homebuyers and home sellers.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Residential Warranty Company Information