2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

4.3/5 (479 ratings)

About American Residential Warranty

American Residential Warranty provides homeowners with service contracts that cover repairs or replacements. We have partnered with AIG, Asurion, and Amynta to ensure outstanding coverage and customizable home protection.

Pros

• Select your contractor
  • Electronics plan available
  • Nationwide coverage
  • Long-term contract not required

Cons

• Some systems have limited caps
  • Homeowner is responsible for contacting approved contractor

Bottom Line

American Residential Warranty offers nationwide coverage and ample protection for your home. While there are some limited caps, ARW provides coverage for items many home warranties do not plus flexible contract terms.

Top American Residential Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Could not have asked for a more comfortable, seamless and efficient experience. More proof that ARW was a very wise choice and a sound investment. From the courtesy of the ARW rep...

Verified

When I called in after having trouble with my stove ARW responded with no problem. They were so great. I stared recommended people to join. It's well worth it. The monthly payment...

American Residential Warranty plans

American Residential Warranty is a national company that serves customers in all 50 states. The company offers a full range of products, including home warranty plans, electronics protection plans and home security systems. Homeowners can choose from the following plans to best fit their needs.

• Heating and Cooling: Covers three major home systems.
  • Kitchen Plus: Covers major kitchen appliances, plus your electrical system
  • Platinum: Covers major appliances, plus three major home systems.
  • Platinum Premier: The most popular and comprehensive plan ARW offers, covering 17 major appliances and systems.
  • 4-in-1 Bundle: Covers all appliances and systems covered under Platinum Premier, plus extended coverage, sewer and water line coverage and electronics protection.

American Residential Warranty cost

The average cost for American Residential Warranty is between $40–$60/month depending on the plan you select. In addition to the regular monthly fee, customers will pay a one-time $39 enrollment fee regardless of the plan they choose.

Their most popular plan, Platinum Premier, runs $59.99. This is on the higher end of typical home warranty costs, which generally range from $30–$60/month.

American Residential Warranty has flexible payment plans, and customers can choose whether they’d like to pay annually, quarterly or monthly. American Residential Warranty’s service fees run $55 per visit, which is one of the lowest fees we’ve seen in the industry.

PlanAverage Monthly Cost
Heating and Cooling$39.99
Kitchen Plus$34.99
Platinum$49.99
Platinum Premier$59.99
4-in-1 Bundle$124.99

American Residential Warranty coverage

The Platinum Premier package from American Residential Warranty is their most popular plan and covers the following items

Covered appliances:

• Plumbing internal parts
  • Plumbing wax seals
  • Pool/spa

American Residential Warranty coverage exclusions

American Residential Warranty does not include coverage for known pre-existing conditions, cosmetic damage or damage due to misuse or abuse of covered items.

The warranty doesn’t cover costs associated with refinishing walls torn down to obtain access to encased items like ductwork or plumbing, rust and corrosion, or costs to bring items up to code.

These exclusions are all standard for home warranty contracts. You can find a full list of exclusions for your home state via American Residential Warranty's sample contract.

American Residential Warranty coverage limits

American Residential Warranty only specifies coverage limits for their optional (a la carte) items. These maximums range from $500–$2,500 per item.

ItemAmerican Residential’s coverage limi
Plumbing advantage$500
Well pump system$1,000

American Residential Warranty claims

How to request service from American Residential Warranty:

1. Submit your claim by contacting ARW online or over the phone.
  2. ARW will assign a service provider to your claim and give you their contact information.
  3. You will call the service provider to schedule your service.
  4. A technician will diagnose and make the repair.
  5. You will pay your service call fee ($55).

Service recall period: ARW guarantees all work for 30 days on labor and 60 days on parts. In the event a repair fails within this period, ARW will send a technician to make additional repairs at no extra cost/service call fee.

Emergency service: Under normal conditions, ARW will try to get a technician to your home within 48 hours to make any necessary repairs. If your situation is deemed an emergency, they will make every attempt to rush the service to occur within 24 hours.

American Residential Warranty contractors: American Residential Warranty gives customers the option to use an ARW approved technician or pick their own contractors, unlike many other companies that only let customers use affiliated technicians. One benefit of going with an ARW approved provider is they are pre-screened by the company.

American Residential Warranty FAQ

Can I choose my own service provider for repairs?
Yes. You’ll need to let the claims representative know in advance, and your selected technician will have to call American Residential Warranty for prior authorization before starting work.
Can I get an American Residential Warranty without signing a long-term contract?
Yes. ARW does not require long-term contracts. Monthly, quarterly and annual terms are available.
Is there a cancellation fee for American Residential Warranty?
No. There are no cancellation fees for monthly, quarterly or annual term agreements. Cancel within 30 days to receive a full refund. All refunds will be made by ARW within 30 days of cancelling. If the refund takes longer to process than 30 days, ARW will add 10 percent to your refund.

Is American Residential Warranty worth it?

American Residential Warranty makes it easy for homeowners by allowing them to bundle protection plans and even choose their own service contractors. There’s a 30-day waiting period after you buy an American Residential Warranty plan, but this is standard to most home warranty service providers. You can choose add-ons across many home-repair categories for a fully customized plan.

With their flexible plans, including a month-to-month plan, American Residential Warranty may be particularly appealing to those opposed to long-term contracts.

American Residential Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Residential Warranty?

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have never ever given a review on anything but today I've got to let whomever reads this will find this AMAZING woman in the corporate office and have her help you. Not sure if I'm suppose to do this but the number is 1-800-910-8538. ASK FOR MARGE. She said she is the only Marge there and they will tell her you're on the line if she's with a customer she will call you back or call her back again if you haven't heard from her. This wonderful lady has been in customer service for over 40 years she says, so she knows what she's doing and has a professional, caring, and patient side to her and gets whatever you may need done.

I have called customer service for three days and spoke to various employees about the problem I was having, I was lied to, on hold Monday for 43 minutes finally just so frustrated I hung up. I called again on Tuesday, got a different person that puts your calls through to the right department and was on hold for ONE HOUR AND TWELVE MINUTES only to be answered then hung up on. I was furious. The person that takes the call from the very beginning (customer service) that will transfer you to the Department you need if they can't help you, they will transfer you to wherever you need to be. They are very rude. All three days I called they ask the problem and WHILE I'M SPEAKING you know THE CUSTOMER THAT HELPS EMPLOY THEM puts me on hold without saying a word. Very rude and disrespectful.

When I called today I made sure I wrote down the name of the person that answered, his name is Robert, VERY VERY RUDE! He wasn't rude when answering. He ask what I was calling about. I got maybe two short sentences out and in the middle of my second sentence of about four words put me on hold and I all of a sudden am now listening to music.

That's ok now because MARGE answered, I gotta be honest I was so mad, I yelled a little just out of pure frustration and felt so small and embarrassed for doing that because she was so helpful and nice. Marge took care of my problem did not put me on hold after I begged for her not to do that as she was typing she was telling me what she was typing. The wonderful lady she was typing to responded immediately not because Marge typed my story to her. She typed in few direct words of what needs to be done. The lady that responded so quickly and why she did so immediately is because SHE'S DOING HER JOB, she's doing what she is getting paid for and whomever she is is doing a great job as well.

I have been in customer service for over 40 years as well as Marge except I am a server. I do my job well because my customers pay my bills, if it's in my power I will do anything to make you happy within reason because the customer is MY BOSS and THEY PAY MY BILLS. I make great money because I do my job well. A customer wants to be treated well when they go out to dinner with their families as they should be treated in that manner. Good service should always be just that good service to all customers regardless of any establishment. It's very hard to find that anymore these days. Marge changed my thinking today about people in general so much so she is the first and only to get a review from me of any kind about anything ever. Marge did a fantastic job and I really appreciate her.

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! We look forward to continuing to serve you and encourage you to reach out should you ever need us for future home warranty services. Have a great day!

American Residential Warranty

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2021

Dave provided me with excellent customer service today... The reason I needed it though has provided me with ongoing frustration with American Residential Warranty. Most of my problems happen with the claims department. Very long hold times, no promised call backs and inadequately trained people with mis-information and the inability to make corrections to their system. Dave made me feel better, but the problem is systemic and needs to be addressed in all parts of the company. They told me they couldn't file a claim because my policy was new when it was simply renewed and I've had it for 4 years. 3 different calls, more than 3 hours total on hold... unacceptable. Dave, however, is great and should get a raise.

Hi Vanessa,

While we're pleased to hear that Dave was able to help you thoroughly, we still apologize about how your claims were handled. We would like to make this right. If you could please contact us directly with your claim number, approximate date of claim filing, and any other details you have that will help us look it up, we will initiate a full review to get this resolved for you as soon as possible.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: April 17, 2021

I requested service on March 26. It had been three weeks, and I had still not heard from anyone. I've called off and on and could not get satisfactory help. I called again on April 16 with the intention of cancelling the whole account. I was on hold for over two hours, and still did not receive adequate customer service.

I was finally able to speak with a gentleman named Arthur. He listened to my complaint and apologized for the inadequate customer service I have received. I told him just to refund all my money, & I wanted nothing else to do with this company. I asked what he could do to get me to stay; I said get me the lighted ceiling fan installed that I requested three weeks ago. He asked me to hold. When he returned to the call, he let me know that he could get the installation completed, and refund the cost of the item too. Upon hearing him explain what he could do, I decided to go ahead and stay with the company and have the fan installed. He also stated that if I had any other problems, to call him and he would help make it right. I thanked him for his help and concern. He is the only reason I stayed and would recommend this company to anyone else.

Hi MariJane,

We apologize about how your prior calls were handled. Thank you for giving us the chance to make things right and we're glad to hear that Arthur could be of remarkable assistance to you. We are so appreciative of your kind recommendation and we look forward to continuing to provide you quality service for your future home warranty needs.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: March 16, 2021

Since December 2020 I have made 28 calls to ARW trying to get resolution to a claim that was filed by the service rep in October. I have called more than 18 different phone numbers. On January 9th I spoke with a man in corporate whose name is Thomas. He was helpful and gave me his extension but when I called back no one had heard of him nor could connect me to the extension. Finally on March 12 I reached Tulio who, in minutes got to the bottom of the issue and took appropriate action. If I had to rate this company prior to March 12th I would have given it a MINUS ZERO stars. The 5 star rating goes to Tulio.

You should send executive staff on an "under cover boss" type experience in your company. You would find that Tulio should be training staff on customer service. Why? He is effective!!! How? He took time to review the notes before making fake promises. He showed empathy and agreed that my customer experience was not as it should have been. He assured me that I finally was in the right department and that he could assure that appropriate action would be taken and that he would follow up to make sure it was taken. He gave me a phone number that actually worked where I could reach him or leave a message. He believed me that Thomas actually existed and had started the process but apparently things didn't get processed after he started the process. Tulio communicated with his colleagues and assured the check would be mailed asap. A woman named Carolyn called me the next day to say the check was mailed.

Today, March 16 I received a check even though it was for the wrong amount. I called Tulio and he called me right back indicating that he was aware of the problem and assured me that it had already been addressed. I have every reason to believe him and to trust that the balance will arrive next week. As you know, your company has lots of competition and the main difference between them and you is customer service. Customers cancel because of how they are treated by the reps. They are lied to by the sales reps (as in bait and switch) and when they have a claim they are passed from person to person. Or the customer is put on hold for more than an hour hoping the customer will hang up. All of these experiences happened to me in dealing with this company. If you are wise, you will try to replicate Tulio in your organization. Please learn from what he is doing and teach it to others.

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for sharing your experience and specially for mentioning Tulio's excellent customer service. He is truly a gem and he will be thrilled with your comment. We will use your suggestion to improve our ways to better serve our customers. If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to give us a call and we look forward to continuing to serve all of your home warranty needs.

Kind regards,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I put in a claim last week because we thought our hot water heater was going out, but come to find out the issue wasn’t the hot water heater. It was the pipe that leads from my kitchen sink down to where the hot water heater is. So we had to put in a new claim in for that on Tuesday. The young lady asked me who was the company that I had to come out here first to do it, and I told her. She said she would call them, but we haven't heard anything back from nobody and today is Friday.

The one thing I like about American Residential is that they call to make sure that I have heard something from somebody, or do I need for them to call. I appreciate that about them. I'm very pleased with their customer service. It was really easy and simple to submit the claim. They got straight to the point, asked me what was going on, and sent me my claim as soon as we got off the phone.

American Residential Warranty response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Kristie. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us. Our staffs always aim to provide excellent customer service and making sure that every claims are addressed in a timely manner. Thank you for choosing American Residential Warranty and we look forward to continuing to do business with you.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 17, 2021

I spoke with Sharlene about my coverage and the correct amount per month. She handled my case with due diligence and gave me the correct information. She was very polite, knowledgeable, professional, and had a lot of patience dealing with me-especially as a Senior.

Hi Ram,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 16, 2021

Kernst ** is THE BEST EVER! He was the only person who sincerely cared enough to assist and seek a resolve. He is very courteous and professional. Otherwise, it was a very difficult and unfair experience with many untrained employees and rude and did not fulfill commitments.

Hi Judy,

Thank you for this special shoutout to Kernst! He is thrilled to have earned your excellent review! Thanks for choosing ARW for your home warranty needs.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Service was above average and responses provided were also above average for my residential needs. Representative was articulate and helpful. The only error noted was after I got off the phone with the rep.: which was that future billing would be from the credit card used in payment today, which was incorrect. Credit card was a one time use. Other arrangements have been made for my quarterly payments.

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. About the billing to your credit card, please send us a direct message so we can make the necessary changes.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Sharlene answered the call, and was very helpful, professional manners was great, it was a pleasant talking with her and she really knows her job, all of the employees' perform their duties very well, they are trained well and know their positions, and are well informed. Thanks

Hi Irene,

We are pleased to hear that Sharlene was able to answer all of your enquiries and had your best interest in mind. She will be thrilled to have earned your excellent review.

Original review: July 15, 2021

On Thursday July 15th I spoke with a gentleman name Arthur. He was very polite and professional. He helped me in a timely manner and was not disrespectful in any way. You need more people like Arthur. Thank you Arthur.

Hi Debra,

While we're happy to know that Arthur was able to assist you, we're sad to see you go. Should you ever need our services in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us. We'll be happy to have you back.

American Residential Warranty Company Information