toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Dear Keith,

Thank you very much for the feedback! American Residential Warranty is so glad to hear about your experience with our services! Please do not hesitate to call us in the future.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: April 14, 2017

Technician was on time for the repair. Fixed refrigerator for the issue at hand and also looked into any other possible issues. No other issues were found. I would highly recommend this company to friends and family. I am always pleased with their service.

Dear Maria,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: April 11, 2017

Both men were on time and very knowledgeable. Took time to explain problem. Also, suggested things that could prevent future problems. Upon leaving stated for me to call if problem returned and left no trash. A/C rep explained my thermostat.

Dear Carole,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: April 10, 2017

I have had several service calls in with my American Residential Warranty. I have been most satisfied with everything from my first call to the company, with the vendors that have come to my home to correct my issues and the follow-up service checking to see if everything was to my satisfaction. I have recommended American Residential Warranty to several of my family members.

Oven and the microwave - They will doing good and it's very excellent service. When I called them they answered and they give me that a question about the way the answer that I do good that I have excellent. I like to do anytime anything happens I would call them and I will proceed to reservice. I'm going to bed. Very nice and excellent service.

I had a great experience in handling my problem about my account. Charmaine was especially helpful in my satisfaction of service and her manager Danielle help make things even better. I have referrals and I'm going to continue to get more because of the service that I have from this company and I believe in it.

Dear Shana,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We had a wonderful, noneventful experience with American Residential Warranty. Our dryer went out and we had someone out to repair it within a week. The tech was very professional and was able to repair it that day. Thanks!

Dear Donald,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

This was the first time I used our insurance with American Residential Warranty, and we were totally pleased with our experience. From the time I placed the service request until the repair of my washing machine was completed, I spoke with courteous people, and the repair was made promptly. Thank you very much! We plan to add items to our plan in the future.

Anthony,

We left you a voice message this afternoon. Please return our call at your soonest convenience.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

We had American Home Shield Home Warranty prior to getting American Residential Warranty as our home warranty company. It was an even bigger mistake to have gotten a home warranty policy with American Residential. We probably should have stayed with American Home Shield. Virtually all of American Residential's representatives speak broken English or it was extremely hard to understand them and communicate with them in American English. More importantly, we signed up with them because they gave us the impression that a residence was covered for repairs more so than that which was covered under an American Home Shield warranty. They also told us that their repair vendors would respond quickly with little to no downtime to complete a home repair.

Don't be fooled by their fraudulent advertising or gimmicks. We have had Old Republic, American Home Shield, and American Residential, all for home warranty policies in the last several years. American Residential is BY FAR THE WORST COMPANY of the three listed above. Most recently, we placed a claim with American Residential to have the electrical evaluated at a residence. We explained to an American Residential rep that we were having issues with a bathroom exhaust fan, an outside electrical socket attached to the house, and a bathroom ceiling light. American Residential denied the claim after sending an electrician to evaluate the job. Their reason was that at least 2 of the 3 items were not covered under the policy and because of that, we owed the electrical company the house call expense above and beyond our $55 co-payment.

If some of the items weren't covered under the plan, why would American Residential? send a vendor to the residence? They either? don't know their business, or their employees aren't knowledgeable enough with respect to the home warranty policies issued to their customers. My wife told me that the items listed above would have been covered by the previous home warranty company we hired without fail. The only problem with the previous company was that they weren't prompt with responding to a claim which is why we hired American Residential, who GAVE US THE FALSE IMPRESSION that not only would they respond quickly on a claim, but they also gave us the false impression that they'd cover home repairs, including those relating to electrical, etc.

We'll be done with these clowns by the end of the month since it isn't customary for them to prorate a refund for the latest monthly premiums we had already paid them. American Residential warranty will no longer be our home warranty company in the not so distant future. As far as we're concerned, American Residential is a crooked company, and we won't be doing business with them for long. We should have checked the ratings of the 10 best home warranty companies prior to signing up with them. What a waste of time and money, not to mention the headaches they gave us. American Residential doesn't even rank among any of the top home warranty companies operating within the US. Again, don't be fooled by their false advertising or gimmicks. CONSUMER BEWARE, ESPECIALLY WITH AMERICAN RESIDENTIAL CURRENTLY OPERATING WITHIN THE STATE OF FLORIDA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Residential Warranty?

Dear Margaret,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Nice thing about your experience rating is 5 star from me. Thank you for services. Yes I will recommend to a friend. All good. Happy when I need your help. I will call you all the time I need. My washer need to be fix now. I will call you when need.

Dear Shirley,

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I have had a very positive experience with American Residential Warranty. I had a problem with my air conditioning and a plumbing problem, and they were helpful in both instances. I have called and you have provided the service that I needed. I am very satisfied with your service.

Hi Ana,

Thank you for speaking with me yesterday. We will follow-up with you after the service is fully complete to make sure it is done to your satisfaction.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I called last week. Don't remember what date. I was calling to get my garage door opener fixed but the person I spoke with could not find a company to come fix it, he called Sears and could not get anyone on the phone. He was suppose to find someone and call me back. It's been over a week now and I have not heard from him. CUSTOMER SERVICE sucks and still my garage door is still out but I am paying monthly for their service.

Dear Lisa,

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Everything you dreamed of and never thought possible all in one phone call. Peace of mind that I hoped for but never dreamed would actually be obtainable.❤️ I've used them 3 times within the almost 1 year and have not incurred one single problem. They have called each time to make sure I have been taken care of. No sales, no hassle, no questions just a promise kept!

Hi Shirley,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with our Customer Care Manager yesterday. If we can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to reach out.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 31, 2017

The first person that I talked to told me to go light It myself. When I asked to speak to supervisor she pretended not to hear me and called a service advisor. Please call me, please call me, please call me.

Hi Patricia,

We understand you had the opportunity to speak with our Customer Care team regarding your most recent claims experience. We apologize that our service adjuster made a mistake in approving the repair for your HVAC system. We have over turned his initial, incorrect denial. Please let me know if we can be of assistance in the future.

Original review: July 28, 2017

My husband and I purchased the Platinum/Premier Coverage from American Residential Warranty last year when we bought our home. Policy states our central air conditioning system is covered. Our A/C went out so we call ARW to get someone to come out and repair. The technician replaced the capacitor. The Warranty Group called and said it's not covered even though it's not listed as a non covered item. He said they reserve the right to say what's covered and what's not covered. I've paid more than 1000.00 in a year to ARW.

The cost of repair was only 182.50. And the ARW reserves the right not to pay this small cost. They didn't reserve the right not to auto-debit my bank account each month. If this company denies a claim based on what's not covered then ALL non covered items should be clearly stated before shamefully ripping off the consumer. That way the consumer can decide beforehand & before 1000.00 is lost if this is a good choice. Shameful! Extremely disappointed.

Dear Mr. Hawkins,

Original review: July 28, 2017

Very satisfied with the prompt appointment given for the oven service. The technician was on time and very professional. He was knowledgeable of the work that needed to be done. This is our first service call. We will keep you posted.

Dear Gay,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 27, 2017

I was very happy with the techs that came to the house. I had to wait for parts but when they arrived the repairman was there. American did a good job of arranging the calls. I was pleased that there was only one deductible of $55.00 for both the dishwasher and oven.

Hi Victoria,

We show that you spoke with our customer care team regarding the service request for your HVAC system. Unfortunately in this case the cause of failure of your HVAC system is not eligible under the Home Service Agreement. I am sorry this issue has caused an inconvenience. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I purchased this house warranty and made payments for over a year. My A/C went out. They couldn't find service in my area. I found a repair company. They immediately informed me they didn't work with American Residential. I paid for the repair. I submitted claim which American denied due to the diagnosis of secondary causes. There was no diagnosis of such, neither on the bill or from the tech. American said they received diagnosis from tech. Tech said they never talked to American. I have been on hold today for 55 minutes, every call I make hold time is 20 mins. or more.

Dear James,

Original review: July 26, 2017

My wife and I were pleased with the service of ARW when we called in to report a needed repair for washing machine. ARW could not find a local technician to service us promptly, so they immediately authorized us to bring in a local appliance repair company. The repairman smoothly and we were promptly reimbursed for our expense, less the deductible. As a result of this company's good service, we have renewed our warranty for a second year.

Dear Rebecca,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 19, 2017

Very good. The guy was friendly and very helpful. Thank you. The man who came knew what he was doing. He had the right part I needed and it did not take him long to fix the problem. I was very pleased with all he did when he left.

Resolution response: July 30, 2017

I received both checks and thank you for your help in resolving the issue.

Hi Sanjay,

I apologize for the issue with your most recent service request for your oven. My records indicate you spoke a member of our team and we were able to come to a mutual resolution to the amount issued for the replacement of the oven. If we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have been with the company for 5 years. Our oven stopped working a month back and after sending a tech, it was determined the oven needed to be replaced. I am only being offered $383 cash to replace the Oven, which will cost over $700! Kind of takes away "forgetting about unexpected repair bills" that the company promotes. The fine print says you will get $300 for old appliances that cannot be replaced + $50 for every year you have been with the company up to a max of $500. But then from the $500, they subtract the service charge to check the appliance which leaves you with very little to actually pay for a replacement Oven!

Hi Cody,

We appreciate the feed back on your most recent service request. If we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 17, 2017

The plumber that came to fix our problem did a great job! He worked on both our shower clog and toilet leak. He first contacted us in a timely manner and he came the following day. He finished and cleaned the areas he worked on. We were pleased with the job he did. I would recommend him.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Hi Jennifer,

We show that you spoke with are customer care team and we were able to resolve the issues with your claim. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 4, 2017

We have maintained a home warranty since purchasing our home in 2000. We have been customers of American Residential Warranty for the last 7 years. We have carefully followed all directions and used their services for occasional repairs. For the last three years it has been nearly impossible to get service in a timely manner. There are simply no providers who are willing to work with ARW and we ultimately end up calling a local service provider and paying out of pocket for the service call with the vague promise that we will be reimbursed for part of the service call. It takes at least 3 phone calls per repair to get a provider name, with an average wait time of 17 - 42 minutes PER CALL. Up until recently we have tried to give ARW the benefit of the doubt, or perhaps we have just been reluctant to admit that we allowed them to scam us for so long.

About a month ago our air conditioner began to work sporadically. It is quite warm here in Nebraska during the summer, and the temps have been consistently over 90 degrees this past month. We called ARW and were given the name of a service provider that we should call the following Monday. When we called the service provider we were told that they don't work with ARW. Back to ARW, who tells us that they will look for a new service provider and get back to us. Days go by. More 90 degree heat.

ARW says they will get back to us within 3-5 business days. Another week goes by. More 90 degree heat. My husband calls 19 different service providers in the Lincoln area and no one works with American Residential Warranty. We call ARW every day, spending close to an hour each time (hold time, greater than average call volume?!)

After two weeks of summer heat and no help from ARW, we call a local AC company and pay out of pocket for a diagnostic call. They tell us that the unit is too old to get parts for, the coils are not repairable and the unit must be replaced. Back to ARW again. The repair company must fax a copy of the receipt to a special department for an adjuster to look at. Several more days go by. We keep calling. The adjuster that decides on our claim didn't get the FAX. More time on hold.

Finally we are told that they will pay "replacement fee", which is actually $600. The fine print says that ARW will cover "up to $600" for a unit that is over 10 years old, with an additional $50 for each year you have been a customer up to $1000 (minus the amount reimbursed for the service call). When we inquire about that (having been a customer for 7 years) our claim is reviewed by another adjuster, who notes that the technician noted that the coils are shot (although the unit cannot be repaired because it is too old). Since ARW does not cover coils, it is not a covered repair and we are out.

After 3 weeks and over 16 hours of phone time, we were told that our nonfunctioning AC is not covered. This is from their fine print: NOTE: For Central Air Conditioning Systems or Central Home Heating Systems over 10 years old: If the repair is over $600 or parts are not available to repair the equipment, a $600 replacement allowance will be paid to the customer. This allowance will increase by $50 for each full year the customer has been in the program up to a maximum of $1,000. Proof of purchase of a new heating or cooling system is required in the form of a purchase receipt.

This company actively engages in practices designed to discourage customers who try to make claims. Lost requests, nonavailable adjusters and claims specialists that never call back are how this company does business. The total "replacement allowance" is only $8 more than the average premium for one year. And though the unit cannot be repaired we were told that since the problem is in part due to the coils, they are not responsible to any of it. After 7 years of being a loyal customer, my AC is not covered at all. Even the reimbursement for the diagnostic call has somehow been refused. I will devote myself in the future to telling people about how ARW treats its customers. I will be contacting the BBB and the Nebraska Attorney General and the Department of Consumer Affairs to warn others about this business.

American Residential Warranty

Thank you for the Feedback Philip. Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: July 3, 2017

Technicians showed up on time and were very knowledgeable about what they were doing. They checked out the unit on the ground and also in my attic to diagnose the problem. They then informed me of what needed to be done to correct the problem with my air conditioner and proceeded to do the work. My air conditioning unit now works as good as when I first installed.

Hi Nathan,

Unfortunately at this time we are unable to overturn the denial. I do apologize. If we can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: June 20, 2017

We have had this warranty for quite a bit now and have not used it but got it because of the ads and word of mouth. We thought "Well it was a good thing to have in case the furnace or air or something else goes out for sure and a few other things beside that", so we got the Premier. We had to file a claim because of our breaker box which is on the inside of the house mind you, and on the premier it states right there covers internal wiring. Well they denied us, saying that they don't cover the electrical panels but if it was just the breaker or wiring they would have but since it is that and the other they would not cover it.

We even offered to pay for the electrical panel and they still refused to cover the rest. Not to mention in their ads they get someone out there real fast it took them over a week to even do anything. With all the fighting over the claim and even going to the head office and still nothing. We have go a lawyer we refuse to be treated like we have and will not be. Do not buy this it is a bunch of stupid crap. Just a way to get your money and not cover anything, they will just find a way to get out of paying to fix anything.

Hi Alia,

We apologize for the problems during your recent service request with American Residential Warranty. Our records indicate that you spoke to one of our claims supervisors about the claim and that we were able to work together to come to a mutually beneficial outcome. Again we appreciate your patience and understanding and for allowing us to work on the service issue in order to resolve it in a satisfactory manner.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: June 16, 2017

The first time I called for service was to fix my air conditioner. Even though I received a call from the contracting company that the technician would be late, it was a hot day, so waiting longer than necessary did not sit well with me. When the tech was done, she said that the AC just needed a fuse, but it's good now. I thought "it's good now" meant the fuse was replaced. A day or two after the tech "fixed" the AC, it started blowing hot air again and so we ended up needing to get a family friend out to get it fixed right. The AC fuse was only $10!!!! I was very disappointed that I paid my monthly fee along with the $50 service fee and it was not fixed correctly...

The second time just a few days ago, my husband called and wanted a tech to come out and repair a leaking pipe. The first rep he talked to said we didn't have the coverage (I knew that wasn't true), so then he called a 2nd time. That rep said this repair was covered and gave my husband a local heating and cooling company to come out and make the repair. Well, they were supposed to come on Thursday (yesterday) between 8-12, but did not show. They didn't even call us to tell me they'd be late or would have to reschedule. So, our pipe is still leaking and not repaired! I tried calling yesterday and was told that they can try to get someone else out to us and would call us back. I said that's fine, but I'd like to first see about getting that service fee waived to compensate for the "no show" tech yesterday. The rep agreed to transfer me to customer service to see if I can have this done.

That CSR said I needed to go to claims... uugghh. It seems no one knows what they're talking about. I tried to get back over to current claims and spoke to someone, but I wanted to speak to a manager. I was placed on hold and then the phone hung up. I tried calling again today and was told that I'd get to speak to a manager, but no one ever picked up. I am very disappointed in this service/company. With what I've experienced so far, this is a complete waste of money!

American Residential Warranty

Thank you for the feedback Ricardo. Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: June 2, 2017

Had a leak under the kitchen sink. The plumber was very good. He detected the source of the leak right away and told us what he was going to do before he did it. It took him very little time and I had a question regarding my hot water going to our faraway bedroom. So he explained the pros and cons about a water tank and what we could do better (and cheaper). I would like him to be sent again should I have another leak (I hope not!) or plumbing issue. He came within the appointed time.

Good Afternoon,

We show the repair was completed as of 6/26/17. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: June 1, 2017

I had called this afternoon (June 1st, 2016) because of my ice maker not working. They told me that the warranty does not cover the ice maker. That is BULL because they came to my house two or three times in the past for the same problem. Again they told me that it is not covered, I kept yelling that it is. They have been here before to fix the ice maker. I asked to speak to a supervisor. They put a supervisor on the phone (or so he said he was a supervisor which I don't believe he was) and she told me the same thing. I will not recommend this ** company to anyone. They told me to have a nice day at the end of the conversation and I told them to go to hell!

Dear Bobbie,

American Residential Warranty

Original review: May 9, 2017

I thank you for your service and hope that you for everything you have did for me and my family. When I call you send someone out right away and I have never had any trouble with the company send out. I thank your company.

Hi Nicole,

We are very sorry you are receiving these calls. We searched your phone number in our system, XXX-XXX-XXXX, and the last time we spoke with you was on January 27, 2016. Our records indicate you were placed on our Internal Do Not Call List on that date and no further calls have been placed to your number.

Could you please let us know when you received the calls you are referring to in your review? Also, it would be extremely helpful if you could let us know the caller ID of the number calling you and the phone number that you were reached on.

We look forward to assisting you further.

Original review: May 5, 2017

If I could give this company negative stars I would!!!! I am on the do not call list so I should not be receiving solicitation calls, yet here I am, receiving calls from this worthless company for over a YEAR. Yes, a YEAR. I have asked them to stop calling me HUNDREDS of times, talked to supposed customer service managers, reported them to the FTC multiple times for violating do not call lists, and here we are. I have received FIVE calls from this company this week alone. It is harassment. This is the worst company and I am SO SICK of getting calls asking if I want to buy their stupid warranty. NO I DO NOT AND NEVER WILL. STOP CALLING ME.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Hi Marielou,

The technician determined the unit had a sealed system issue that could not be repaired and was a manufacturer defect. The technician recommended that the unit be replaced. The customer was advised of this information and requested that our agent give LG a call regarding this and she was advised to reach out to the manufacturer herself. Per the refrigerators owners manual, the refrigerator has a full manufacturer warranty on the sealed system and compressor for 10 years, therefore the best step would be to contact LG in order to pursue replacement of the refrigerator. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide warranty coverage in the event that the unit has a standing manufacturer warranty. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I have been out of refrigerator for over 2 months. They sent Sears to fix it 5 times over that period of time, and it still not working. When I finally get in touch with American Residential customer service, the gentleman told me my claim was denied. He is going to get somebody to call me. By now I do not know what I should do. I wanted peace of mind when I enrolled in that service, all I have right now is headache and stress. They like to be nice to new customers and forget completely about the old ones. Just for the record I have been with this company for over 5 years.

UPDATED ON 06/29/2017: By now over 10 different pairs of hands (technicians) have already tried to fix my refrigerator for the same issue, without counting how many times they mistaken changing this part for that part. Since they broke it down for good, I do not have any clue, maybe the refrigerator is beyond repair by now. The experts in your office must have a solution, because there should be a limit for this type of nonsense don't you think? This is a pity for new customers because they are really unaware of what they are putting themselves through.

Hi Josselyn,

We are happy we were able to speak with you about your experience and were able to resolve the issue with your garbage disposal claim. If you need any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to call us.

American Residential Warranty

Original review: May 3, 2017

I was very disappointed with the service from the contracting company. I was given a 4 four hours window (1:30 pm - 4:30 pm). That day, I gave up all my other appointments to make sure I am home so I don't miss the technician. Unfortunately, my effort was in vain because nobody showed up. And I didn't receive a phone call neither from that company nor from the technician. I decided to call them around 4:15 pm, and I found out that the technician will not be able to show up. I was rescheduled for the next morning. I was bummed out. To me, it was a ** service. The staff of this company has no communication skill.

Dear Cheryl,

Original review: May 2, 2017

Washer machine issue - The service tech was very professional. He was running a little late and apologized. The issue we had was an easy fix. He showed what was wrong and what to do to keep it from happening again. The only negative was he found that one of the cycles was not working right and he said he would research the problem and call me to come back and fix but we never heard back from him.

Hi Henrietta,

We are happy that we were able to speak with you regarding the recent experience with the dryer. While we understand it did not go as smoothly as expected due to a misdiagnosis by the technician, we are happy we were able to work together to come to a resolution.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I tried to explain to the technician that it could be a heating coil or thermostat, she would not accept my theory. The dryer never got hot and to date, I have to have had to visit the laundromat 2x. I spoke with customer service who agreed to send me a balance of the $300.00, however, that will not be enough to purchase a new dryer and will not be at my home before I will need to re-visit the laundromat. #VERY-DISAPPOINTEDWITHSERVICE.

American Residential Warranty Company Profile