3.11/5
Based on 36 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

36 Hamilton Beach Microwaves Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Was very pleased with my microwave. Worked well from reheating a cup of coffee to cooking the carrots. Then in the middle of fixing lunch it died. Had just pulled one dish out and put the next in, when I closed the door it started without having put in the time or pressing start. Then it wouldn't stop unless the plug was pulled. It also did not warm the food. Consumer support, listed in the manual, said problem was beyond them and gave me a Wal-Mart (Where I had purchased the microwave) warranty number. My warranty was no longer valid because I had purchased it 15 months ago -- warranty is for 12. Knew the oven was inexpensive, but I expected more than 15 months lifetime. Shoppers beware! Won't buy Hamilton Beach again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

1000 watt Hamilton Beach microwave started to make noises and flickering after only 14 months of use. Last night it shorted out completely, thank heavens I was standing there keeping an eye on it as I always had after it started sounding like it was trying to quit on us. Turned off breaker immediately to avoid injury or fire or damage to electrical outlet. This was so bad I have concern now about plugging anything else into that outlet even though I acted very quickly to shut breaker off.

This was our first Hamilton Beach microwave, unless they make things right for all of us here, this will be my last one from them, ever. It was nice when it did work.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We bought this countertop product to replace a less than 4 year old, expensive, over the oven unit (a GE) that started blowing the circuit breaker and was no longer usable. This unit works but almost immediately started making loud, worrisome noises sounding like a lawnmower. We are returning it to Walmart before the 90 day warranty expires.

No electronic device lasts forever but this is another example of cheaply made, mass-produced Chinese JUNK that has a short service life barely making it to the short (1 year) warranty. Years ago, we had over-the oven microwaves that lasted much longer than 5 years. Where do you get these things today? Not in America! The reliable brands are gone.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We've owned our microwave since June. It is now October, and now we are trying to figure out why it would start going by itself! My husband in the hallway, Im on couch with my dogs, it started by itself! No time set on it, whatsoever! Is it getting ready to go out? Blow up? What should we do?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I purchased my Hamilton Beach microwave 1.1 from the Walmart store. Less than one year later rust developed on the floor of the inside of the microwave. Recently, we discovered a burn hole in the floor located inside the microwave which of course renders it useless. After extensive research, I found that the Hamilton Beach company sold its name to a Chinese company. After reading all the negative comments I will not even try to get a refund. This situation is exactly why I do not hesitate to take anything back in the normal 30 day window. It appears that businesses have decided to use inferior materials and labor knowing that appliances will be passed their warranty periods when they fail. By the way, we own a microwave that is over 15 years old i'm still working fine. I will look for another older microwave on eBay and Craigslist to replace this Hamilton Beach joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hamilton Beach Microwaves?

Original review: July 31, 2018

Bought the Hamilton Beach 1.1 cubic foot microwave July 22, 2018. Used 3 times. The first use barely heated up my food, same with the second use. Today it tripped my GFCI plug (thank God I have that) and was crackling. Smelled like burning plastic. Microwave is toast!! We have a smaller (.9 cubic foot, I believe) Hamilton Beach at work. That one started having turntable issues 1 month after we got it. Will never buy a Hamilton Beach microwave again. Will be taking mine back to the store tomorrow for a refund!!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I bought the 1.1 cubic microwave for my mother less than 2 years ago. On this Mother's Day it quit heating. Got it from Walmart. Would not take back. They said it was out of warranty. Microwaves should last more than 2 years. Will never buy any Hamilton Beach products again. Also time kept going back to military time. Would not stay on regular time no matter what you do. Very bad product. Shame on you HB. I saw same complaints.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I just bought a Hamilton Beach Microwave to replace an old GE. It does not get as hot as my old GE 1000 watt. It took about one minute and 10 seconds at the most to boil a cup of water with the GE. The Hamilton Beach take almost 2 minutes. I will be taking it back to Walmart.

Original review: March 2, 2018

My Hamilton Beach 1000 Wt Microwave, Model HB-P10034AP-M4W, quit heating, without any warning. I purchased this at Walmart 03/12/16. I had my receipt, and called the Consumer Support # listed on my Owner's Manual. They had me perform a "hard reset", which didn't work. They said it was beyond the 1 year warranty period, so they suggested I purchase another microwave. I explained that the unit was not quite 2 years old, kept very clean, used moderately, and not abused in any way. I asked if there was any way I could be compensated in some manner due to the situation. I was told since the manufactured date of Nov. 2015 was beyond the 18 month limit, it wasn't eligible for a "discounted refund", either. They admitted they had received other calls concerning the same complaint. I purchased this microwave because it offered everything I was looking for; however, I will NEVER buy another Hamilton Beach product!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This microwave is a little over 1 year old, however now the pre-programmed buttons don't work. I can only utilize the one 1 minute button and the start button, I don't have a clue what happened and wish I knew of a fix for it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Attention!! DO NOT BUY HAMILTON BEACH MICROWAVES AND OTHER PRODUCTS! THEY'RE ALL CHEAP AND UNRELIABLE! I bought the Hamilton Beach 1000 watt microwave at Walmart, it quit heating after less than 3 months. I had the receipt so Walmart exchanged it for another one. Well the 2nd one did the same thing, quit heating food after less than 2 years and it happened right before Christmas. I'm disabled and cannot afford a new microwave right now. So I'm SOL and have to reheat food in the oven and on the stove, and with my health issues this is very inconvenient for me, not to mention time consuming.

Hamilton Beach only has a 1 year warranty on its products because they know they're all pieces of crap! You would think that a over $70.00 microwave would last longer than a couple of months or even a couple of years. I contacted Walmart's home office and suggested they stop carrying this product. I contacted Hamilton Beach as well and all they could do is give me an apology. I've had issues with other Hamilton Beach products in the past, their blenders are pieces of crap, took it back to Target and got a refund. I will NEVER purchase anything made by Hamilton Beach ever again, I suggest no one else does either.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Bought the 1000 watt microwave at Walmart in October 2017. It quit heating on December 21 2017. Took it back to Walmart but didn't have receipt and they refused to take it back. I had bought it as a gift for my son and cannot get it refunded or replaced by Walmart. Will not buy any more products from Walmart as well as no Hamilton Beach products. A piece of junk.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

The light bulb burnt out in the wife's microwave, went to several repair parts sites. None of the sites recognize the model number listed on the back of the microwave. In fact none of the sites even list Hamilton Beach as even being a manufacturer of microwaves. Sent email to Hamilton Beach but have not heard back yet. Had I known that there were was no parts available even simple ones I would have bought a different brand.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I'm so mad!!! I bought the Hamilton Beach 1000 watts a year ago at Walmart and I have a large family. I'm the only one working and I have no receipt and by reading the reviews there's no good out come to my problem. The microwave just stopped heating food??? I will not buy this brand anymore so I advise who's looking to buy don't because it will do the same!!! If anyone can help me with a new microwave I will be satisfied and rewrite my review.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I bought a Hamilton Beach Microwave and up under the plate it has started to rust. I have only had this microwave for two yrs and I called them. They are not willing to do anything for refund or replacement just because I did not have my receipt. Who keeps a receipt for this because you don't anticipate it happening? They are not willing to do anything for refund or replacement just because I did not have my receipt. I will never buy anything that Hamilton Beach on it because they do not stand behind their products at all. I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING ANYTHING THAT IS HAMILTON BEACH.

Original review: July 18, 2017

It has been reliable for as long as I have used it, which has been one year. The controls could use a little work, they seem a bit less user friendly than I like. It always seems to bother me when I am cooking. I wish that I had a manual or something. But I didn't have to set up the microwave oven. I have set up microwave ovens before, in my previous home, but not this one. Microwaves are a bit heavy, but I always seem to be able to find help with the installation process. Also, I like the space of open cooking area, functioning of the door, how it fits with the cabinets, the ease of cleaning the unit.

Original review: July 17, 2017

It has a nice modern design and is very easy to use, many different settings for all my needs. I like the color and the wattage and power that it has and cooks my food quickly and thoroughly. All of the settings meet my needs. It was very easy to set up, just plug it in and it works great. It works the way I expect it to and have never had an issue.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I love that it is a small microwave yet powerful and has so many different functions and features. The Hamilton Beach Microwave is easy to upkeep and there are never any problems with it or the way it is to be used. It was a value microwave which at first I was skeptical, but after all was said and done, it works extremely well. It was a ready-to-use item right out of the box. It needed to be cleaned up from the foam parts, but the features and functions were very self-explanatory and created no problems.

Original review: July 15, 2017

When setting up the Hamilton Beach microwave, what we did is plug it in and it was ready to be used. It is insanely easy to operate and is accurate for the wattage. I like that it is easy to use and the buttons are relatively large, so people in the household with weaker eyes can use it without assistance. It has ample space in it to cook the family size meals from the frozen section, so in a pinch we can feed a group of people. However, The bulb in it died after 30 days, so we've been using a dark microwave since then. When the timer goes off, it's severely quiet, so it's hard to tell if it's still running, especially with the light bulb issue. Also, it has caused power surges, so it isn't really power friendly. It meets our needs, but minimally. Unfortunately, once it starts to fail, we will be looking for something better, likely from another brand.

Original review: July 14, 2017

It's pretty much a normal, standard, run of the mill microwave. It was given to me as a gift from my parents. It would always be nicer if microwaves were faster or could heat food more evenly and efficiently, but that's an issue with all microwaves. They also don't taste as good as food heated in an oven. But it performs all of the necessary forms and functions. You pop the food in, you hit a button, you hope it's heated thoroughly. If not, try again.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Hamilton Beach microwave is a very good microwave brand and I have had it for 6 years, I have had no issues. This brand of microwave I have is very simple to use, it doesn't take 10 steps or 20 minutes just to heat up one thing, simple buttons and minimum know how, very easy. It is not complicated. You push a few buttons and you are in business.

Original review: July 10, 2017

It was very simple to set up. I took it out of the box and plugged it into the wall. I wiped it down with some soap and water just to make sure it was sanitized and ready to use. After that There was nothing left to do but actually use it. It met my expectations very well. It is large enough to heat up a full plate of food and heats things up quickly. I love the color of it. It is a pretty red that matches my kitchen. It's pretty easy to use; my 6-year-old operates it just fine. I wish though it had two levels like some of the larger microwaves I've seen other places have. Having the top level that's usually just a wire rack to set things on and then the bottom surface that usually rotates would be awesome. I have a large family so this feature would really come in handy for me.

Original review: July 8, 2017

Setting up the Hamilton Beach microwave is simple. All the parts were already fixed so I don't have anything that I have to put together to make it work which is great. Just plug in my power cord and it was working. I like the one touch heating option available. I will be able to heat my food with a touch. I also like the style, speed cooking, and defrost by weight. However, sometimes it's making noise when cooking. Sometimes it will overheat my food. Defrosting takes too long for meats even if I select defrost by weight. It's light weight which sometimes make it move easy when handling it with food.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I like that the Hamilton Beach Microwave cooks well without any problems. It was on sale so I got it cheaper and it came in black which doesn't really show dirt. The process of setting up and using my microwave was easy. All I did was take it out of the box, set it onto the counter and then plug it in and it worked. So far, everything about it is great and it is still running good after two years of having it.

Original review: July 4, 2017

The process of setting up this microwave was very easy and streamlined. I followed the directions in the booklet that was provided. Overall it took probably 10 to 20 minutes to completely setup. It definitely meets my expectations and I think whoever composed the instructions did a really good job. But I think the interface could be improved somewhat. Sometimes I cannot find the exact setting I need when making certain types of food. I would like to be able to navigate the buttons a little more easily. I also think the size of the microwave could be bigger. Right now I am unable to place large platters of food in there. But what I like about the Hamilton Beach brand is the efficiency, price and style of their products. I also like the packaging that the microwave comes in. It is very pleasing to look at and I believe they make great products that last a very long time.

Original review: July 3, 2017

The process of setting up the Hamilton Beach microwave I am using was very simple. All I had to do was place it where it was going to be stationary and plug it in. There was a clock so I set that up as well. Everything met my needs and expectations. I like that it has 1 button settings for certain foods as well as 1 button starts for minutes of 1 to 9. It also has a 30 second times that you can start or add on to time that you are already using.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I like that the Hamilton Beach microwave is small and does not take up too much counter space. It has basically all of the features I need. It is a less expensive brand than others, however, it does the job I need it to do. Although I wish it had more of the extended features that a more expensive microwave might have. Other than that, it is quite easy to use. Just set it on the counter and plug in. The enclosed instructions were clear and easy to read and I was able to set the clock and figure out the features quite easily.

Original review: May 26, 2017

The process is very simple. Usually the Hamilton Beach microwave already has a designated button for a certain food that I can just press. All I do is place the food in and set my desired time. I like the popcorn button. I also love the LED timer, power saving feature and the temperature settings on the microwave. The large size of the microwave is convenient also. But sometimes I wish it came with something that I could cover the food with so that the microwave would not get dirty all the time.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I like that it has a timed defrost feature that actually just defrosts and doesn't heat up the product. I like the easy-to-read, digital display. It is easy to clean and I am in control of every setting on the microwave. The setup is really easy because it functions like a normal microwave but where it differs is the accurate ability to control the settings in just a few clicks. It is extremely easy especially for popcorn and frozen entrees because they already have a preset setting that takes the guesswork out of the equation. But I do wish it had a bigger cooking area for some of my bigger tasks. I wish that the light inside the microwave was a little brighter as well.

Original review: May 24, 2017

The process of setting up the microwave is very easy. I followed the manual came with it. It's very user friendly. It's met all the requirements of our daily needs and it's very good to hot the meals and defrost and prepare some foods like cakes, grill chicken, etc. I also use it for my child's water boiling, preparing some oats and preheating things. It's a very good microwave and its features are excellent. It does the job in few seconds. The watts of this microwave are very good.

Hamilton Beach Microwaves Company Information