Kenmore Microwave
3.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 40 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kenmore Microwave

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

40 Kenmore Microwave Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I was microwaving a small bag of popcorn. I pressed the popcorn button. The timer went off and when I opened the bag had not completely popped and the shelf fell and caught the inside on fire where the bracket is. Is there a Recall on this? Model number is 721.85032111 made by Kenmore. Serial number 109TA04672.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I am very concerned with my Kenmore countertop microwave. I owned it for about two years, it now will work when off position with door open. After it stop and go to 0.00, I open the door to retrieve my food. It start working. I contact Sears. I was told that this item is not on recall and that I should send it to repair on my expensive. My most concern is that Sears did not even care if this could be a dangerous for my family. From what I understand because of radiation, microwaves should only be working while doors are closed.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 22, 2017

The microwave oven tech explained that unless you open the very difficult to open door exactly right, then you might pop the fuse in the oven and short it out. If you lift up just slightly on the door rather than pulling precisely level it could pop. Very poor design if it's that easy to do.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Don't buy Kenmore products, Sears or Kenmore does not care about their customers. We upgraded all our kitchen appliances to stainless steel look with near top of the line Kenmore items. My wife and I chose Kenmore because our parents always had them and felt would be better than the construction grade items that are usually low quality when our new home was built. All the original items worked fine and had no issues after 12 years of service, again figured we were upgrading and to get the stainless look. What a mistake!! After one year and one month, all the sudden the Kenmore microwave model 79080353310 internal fan won't turn off, not the external exhaust fan when door is shut.

Called Kenmore/Sears and no care at all for the customer or this new product failure. The solution is to pay $249 for a service call and/or $80 plus $49 month to have a service contract for a $600 microwave that is 1 year and 1 month old, 1 month out of warranty??? Of course they said they were sorry but no desire to help in any way except call the people that make them for them?? What's up with that? I bought a Kenmore not another brand? That would be like me saying, "yes I assembled the Ford automobile but can't help you because this vendor builds the parts for us?"

Sears is not the company my Dad worked 30 years for and were all about helping and taking care of customers. This experience obviously tells all of us consumers NOT TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT!!! It's sad this company believe is "throw it away and get another one". If there is someone out there reading this from the company and wants to contact me an address, I'm a open and loyal customer that believes in giving people and companies a chance to make this right.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I purchased a Kenmore elite microwave three years ago. Model # 790-80373310. I only use my condo four months per year. So the unit is hardly used. It is an over the oven hooded convection as well. Problem is (could turn out to be a fire hazard) the microwave does not count down the seconds nor does it respond to stop or any other command. It just keeps on going. Sears response is that they would send someone for 249$ to look at it. I would like to know if I should report this to Safer Products Recall or if anyone has had a similar problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I purchased a new Kenmore microwave from Sears less than 3 years ago. For the past 2 weeks, it has been coming on by itself. There is no time left on the display and no one is around when it comes on. When this happens, it will not allow me to turn it off by the display, so we have to unplug it. Sears nor the Customer Service will assist me due to out of 1 year warranty and I didn't purchase an extended warranty. So, I am purchasing a new microwave that is NOT Kenmore or from Sears. We are taking this item to an elec. trash hauler so that no one experiences this fire hazard. Manufacturers should stand by their products. As a consumer, I expect a microwave to last longer than this and to be safe.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

This microwave Kenmore is super good and make the meal ready on time when need be done. I have one and work well and be with me all years.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I personally love Kenmore products. They never let me down. Always long lasting built well.. pretty sad to see sears stores closing.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I bought a new Kenmore, 1.6 Cu. Ft. counter top Microwave for Christmas. I like popcorn a lot and it is one of the most frequent things I use the Microwave for. This new one always burns popcorn. When I use the "popcorn" button it burns. If I reduce the time, I have a 1/2 bag of burnt popcorn. If I reduce the power level to .9 and cook for the same time, I get a 1/2 bag of burnt popcorn. What's going on???

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Microwave is brand new, 1600 watts and has 12 presets. But that's what my issue is about. The presets over-cook everything! Example: the potato button, I placed my potatoes in and pushed the button. The screen said Sensor and cooked for 4 minutes then the screen changed to Time of 5 min and 36 sec. I had to stop the machine after 1 minute because my potatoes was smoking and so was my machine! I'm not going to use any of the preset buttons because I'm afraid I'll end up having a fire.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I really like my microwave. It's a really good brand. I got a lot of used of it, the size is great, perfect for my kitchen not too small and not too big. Although the value is a little bit too expensive. Thank you for taking my opinion in consideration, I really enjoy doing this survey because it gave me the opportunity to tell the manufacturers how the product work and it gave me the opportunity to pay it forward, in this case to the children's cancer research.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

The control panel is on the right side. If you boil water/cook on the stove just below the control panel, sometimes the solder on the circuit board will dissolve and the microwave will not function. If you have the minimum clearance required between your stove-top microwave and the stove burners, also avoid boiling water in large pots just below the microwave control panel. No problems now that I know what went wrong with the first one.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Kenmore is very clear & proper with specified chemical or painting methods, that makes it very hard to scratch compared with other microwaves. I wish that more descriptions & options would hopefully be included within better writing methods or include additional software upon the microwave for better approaches.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

We are visiting/renting a condo in Hawaii. The Whirlpool microwave in it does not cook things. It spins and lights etc but does not cook. The ONLY place on island that guarantees to service an appliance is SEARS and they had a reasonably priced good sized microwave so it works and is great. We will give it to charity when we leave.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I think tools in the kitchen should be easy to use, for the whole family. This microwave is small, but mighty. So I love that it doesn't take up a lot of space, but it's fast. I don't cook a lot in it, but use it more for quick warm ups of leftovers, melting butter for cooking, making popcorn, warming coffee, etc. And I appreciate the 30 second button that it has, and use it a lot. It's perfect, and does a beautiful job.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I've had this unit for several years, it has served me well. I do not try to cook complete meals with it, I use it mainly for warming precooked food items or melting butter, cheese or warming water etc. It probably could use an energy upgrade & minor cosmetics!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

This microwave will not die. We've had it for 17-20 years. There have been times when it shuts off while running or won't turn on. You can't see the entire number on the timer anymore. To be on the safe side, I don't leave it alone if it's on. I wouldn't be able to see if I entered too much time & it kept going. If not supervised, it could be a potential fire hazard. I like that it has a turning tray for even distribution of heat. It has been easy to clean. Our main purpose for it is heating up, defrosting, some specific food prep such as baked potatoes, veggies, popcorn misc.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

This microwave is the best one I've ever had. It has it all and is very dependable. I use it every day for one thing or another. It's really great at defrosting food. I especially love that you can decrease the power level. That comes in really handy for frozen things or food that just needs a little zap. It is just awesome!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

This product would be a good case for having negative numbers in the rating system. We are in the position of having to replace a perfectly functional and expensive microwave / convection oven because the company chose to make a poor quality vent and light button that cannot be replaced for less than $300. These buttons "fall through the panel" and have no way of being fixed unless you pay an exorbitant repair.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

It works excellent. This microwave has been put through hell and is still working great! The door is slammed shut all the time and slammed shut again. It has been knocked off the stand and still always works.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Overall an excellent microwave for its size and cost. Did not rate as five star because there is room for improvement with all items. My microwave is dependable, functional, user-friendly and overall user-efficient. It's an energy star products which means a lot to me and our environment and the world we live in.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I looked for quality and function for the money. I can't just walk out the door and pick up another when I want another microwave. I also considered being able to getting the job done without heating the house up. But more than anything, I don't like to cook and this gets the job done for me.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

It is big enough to hold quite a few things at the same time. It's a Kenmore, very reliable products. I grew up with Sears Kenmore appliances in our home. They lasted a long time, were dependable and reliable. I prefer Kenmore for all of my appliances, whether major or minor. It is a name that can be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

I have been trying for over a month to get a replacement part for my Kenmore Elite Over the Range Microwave oven. Sears, Searsparts, or even Sears Customer Service is either UNWILLING or UNABLE to fulfill my request. I will NEVER purchase another Kenmore Elite product. The part I needed is just the light socket that shines down on the range. It seems like such a simple request, however my experience has been most frustrating dealing with Sears or their part department. The part I need is shown below.

Original review: July 12, 2016

My microwave is 3 years old and it caught on fire today. I called Sears and they said I had no warranty on it and that I could buy one today and pay 39.99 a month for it!! Beware of this product model number 721.85033111. Kenmore nor sears has gave me the best service. It has not been recalled but it should.

Original review: June 28, 2016

I purchased a Kenmore Elite 790.48883.110 built-in microwave to match my Elite built-in oven. The Elite microwave electronics fried within a few months while still under warranty. The electronics were replaced but fried again a year later while out of warranty. This microwave is a LEMON. There is a design or manufacturing defect in this unit. Sears is retailing the microwave for $2,000 (I paid $1,300). I have a Hamilton Beach microwave that I purchase at Walmart for $65 at it works like a charm. Why can't Sears make a $2,000 microwave that lasts for a year?

The fun begins when you contact Sears "Customer Care." The first thing that the non-English speaking person told me was that I needed to contact Electrolux because they were the ones who actually made the microwave. Duh? I bought the microwave at Sears and it has "Kenmore" labeled on the front door! I really don't care which company in China made the unit, Sears is the responsible party! But this is what Sears Customer Care operators are trained to do. After much complaining, I was finally turned over to an English-speaking operator. His job was to sell me a $500 per year insurance policy. I told him, "Thanks but no thanks!" If I have to spend $500 it will go toward yanking out the Kenmore unit and replacing it with another brand!

By the way, the microwave (when actually working) gives off an ear-piercing beep every 15 seconds that is extremely obnoxious. This beep cannot be turned off or adjusted. DON'T BUY THIS LEMON OR ANY OTHER APPLIANCES FROM SEARS...!!! Sears used to be a good company but has turned into a pile of horse manure!

Original review: June 5, 2016

Kenmore microwave oven purchased June 16, 2013. Also purchased 2 year extended service agreement. Yesterday, just about 1 year AFTER the extended service agreement expired the oven malfunctioned. When the door is opened to place food inside, the glass tray begins to rotate all by itself, even before any cooking selection is made on the touch pad. There is also the sound of the fan running but the oven itself is off. Once the door is closed, it stops. After food cooks, I open the door to take out food and the glass tray and fan do the same thing. Tried unplugging the unit to see if that would reset it, didn't work. Still malfunctions.

This is more Chinese junk with the Kenmore name! Sears makes huge profits by cheating its loyal customers and almost forcing us to purchase expensive service contracts. I've been a Sears customer since 1992; now that will end. By the time I pay for repair of the 3 year old microwave, it would cost much more than the $160, that included the 2 year service agreement. You can't simply throw it away or place it in the recycle bin. It's only 3 years old! The Panasonic oven it replaced was 23 years old! What does that tell you about the quality of Kenmore products? We are making the Chinese rich while WE are forced to keep buying inferior products made by them.

Original review: April 11, 2016

Less than one year after installing the Kenmore Elite Convection Microwave (and the gas range), the plastic coating on the "stainless steel" handle began to disintegrate. We ordered a new PLASTIC "stainless steel" handle for about $80 but then Sears said a repairman would have to install the HANDLE because the entire door has to be disassembled and it needs to be tested afterwards to verify there is no leaking radiation. I am so incredibly disappointed in all of my kitchen appliances. Every one is only three years old now and all are breaking down due to cheap materials.

Original review: April 10, 2016

Sears Kenmore Elite Convection Microwave Hood - Paid over $600 on sale for this item in July, 2012. Was installed about three months later. Now, as of April 2016, the microwave no longer works. For about the last three months, the microwave would work if I jiggled the door a couple of times after setting the time - however, randomly, it would turn itself off in the middle of the cooking cycle. Now, no matter what I try to do to get the oven to work, nothing! This is the last Kenmore appliance I ever buy. Remodeled the kitchen in 2012 and purchased all new Kenmore Elite appliances. After the experience with this microwave, I am done with Kenmore. I would hope that a microwave which retails for over $900 would last a little more than a few years!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

The microwave was purchased after checking 5 different types . It is big enough to cook large pizza and also fast enough to heat a small dinner for three people. There are five buttons for selecting popcorn, defrost, one pound or larger, coffee, and a thirty second timer. I still haven't used all of its settings but the ones I have used are very good and make it a quick experience for heating and cooking.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a household name in many parts of the world. The company has more than a century of experience in the appliance industry and provides a wide range of high-quality products that include ovens, microwaves, vacuum cleaners, cooking pots and other home essentials.

• Wide selection: Kenmore has dozens of microwaves available, each with its own set of special features. They are manufactured in different colors, sizes and price points.

• Diamondback: The Diamondback technology of certain Kenmore microwaves eradicates the need for the rotating plate. The microwaves bounce off the diamond indentations and are redirected to provide even heating.

• Freezer to plate: The continual heating selection allows you to defrost and then cook various items without having to stop and reset the microwave.

• Convection: The convection setting allows you to change from conventional microwave heating to fan-powered convection through a heated element. This is better for roasting and baking.

• High wattage: Kenmore microwaves are manufactured in a variety of sizes and wattages. The energy capacity of these ovens reaches up to 1100 watts.

• Best for: Singles and couples, small families, large families and commercial kitchens.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs