Protect What Matters Most

Compare Quotes
Kenmore Microwave
2.72/5

Kenmore Microwave

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

View More View More

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

54 Kenmore Microwave Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

Kenmore over the stove microwave. Four years ago the handle cracked on the lower attachment point. So, I went online & ordered a new handle. I'm a retired Maintenance Master Electrician 47 yrs so replacing a handle should not be a problem. Ha Ha. Was I wrong I removed the door & the plastic trim from door, I gave up an hour later and called Kenmore for service. The technician came out & we both worked for another hour with no success. He said, "Let's order a new door." About 10 days later he came back with the new door. He said that he was very sorry that new door cost $300.00, that's half the cost of the microwave new. It was over $700.00 on sale. But what are you going to do? So I said yes.

He felt so bad he did not charge me for the service call. So now here we are on Sunday, my wife finds a piece of black plastic on the stove top. She looks & it's from the bottom on the handle on the microwave. It has broken in the same as the last time. I told that I was not spending another $300 for another door. So, while I was cleaning the door with alcohol, I found a crack in the door on the bottom to the left of the handle. I got some 5min Epoxy & have glued the handle. Remember there are only 2 people in this house & we are 70 yrs. old. I will be looking for a commercial grade microwave to replacement this one but I guaranteed that it will not be a Kenmore or a Whirlpool.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I purchased a bunch of Kenmore Elite kitchen appliances from Sears 3 years ago - a gas range, a dishwasher and an over range microwave and hood combination. The problem happened with the microwave. When opening the door of the microwave recently, a peace of plastic from the edge of it got broken all of a sudden and fell on the floor. It was definitely not caused by us, or our inaccurate using of that equipment. We are very neat people, do not use the microwave frequently, just a couple of times a week and always very accurately. The problem was definitely caused by a disguised damage that the door obviously had since the beginning.

Our attempt to receive a reasonable service from Sears resulted in an estimate in the amount of almost $400.00 for replacing the door, while the total price of the entire new product when we purchased it 3 years ago was $499.99. We understand that our product is not covered with a warranty any more, but, assuming that the damage (a very unusual and caused definitely by a disguised problem), can the repair price provided to us be considered reasonable? Just after 3 years of a very gentle usage of said appliance? It is obviously that both the manufacturer and the Sears corporation are not interested for their products to last long so that the people have to buy new frequently, increasing their profits.

We are extremely disappointed and advise people not to purchase any appliances from Sears and avoid purchasing Kenmore products at all. Kenmore does not have a direct customer service, all attempts to contact them are transferred to Sears, while Sears representatives refuse to provide any reasonable help telling us that the repair price depends only on manufacturer. Once again, it's just 3 years of an extremely gentle, infrequent and neat usage of that microwave and we've done nothing for this to happen, however, now we have to make a choice between repairing it for almost the price of a new one or buy a new one. Our previous microwave served us almost two decades and we would still have it if not the kitchen remodeling - the reason we decided to buy a new one. We will never purchase any Kenmore product anymore, nor we will purchase it from Sears. People, be careful - Kenmore and Sears are not reliable!!!

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I purchased 2 Kenmore Elite Microwaves in the past few years. They performed well at first, but Neither of them lasted much longer than 2 years. They started out great, then started steaming, then the door button would stick, and they got louder (even closing the door was loud), food temps would vary, slid on countertop when opening & closing, loud beeping when food was done. Eventually, they just stopped working all together. Very disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Sears and Kenmore both made it easy for me to cross them off my list for future appliance purchases. If I can't trust them with a small appliance like a microwave, I know I won't be able to trust them with a large purchase. No one should have to replace a microwave after just two years, especially when it's kept in pristine condition. My microwave was great when it worked, easy to clean and large interior. Then it started rotating and heating when I opened the door (dangerous). Then when door was closed, food was placed inside and you would expect it to heat something, it would instead countdown and nothing happened. Only thing that worked was the timer.

For months I contacted Kenmore on FB privately showing them video of both issues and their response was basically, "I'm sorry for your troubles, there's nothing we can do." I have a dishwasher with another company that messed up and they actually cared about making things right. I would've easily bought a replacement, but the "don't care" attitude keeps me from replacing my Kenmore microwave with another Kenmore microwave. After just 2 years, I'd expect more.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We purchased Kenmore 790.80332310 in April, 2018. We upgraded all of our appliances. We had our original Kenmore appliances for 20 years. On New Year's Day, 2019 I cooked on top of our Kenmore range and in the oven. While cooking the fan from the Kenmore over-range microwave automatically came on as usual. After a period, it stopped. I had not used the microwave at all that day. I completed cooking on the range top but the food in the oven continued to bake. I walked in the adjacent Family Room to watch the Rose Bowl parade. While sitting watching the parade, I began smelling a strange odor. While walking into kitchen, my husband and I heard a loud boom. I walked to the microwave, there was a flame inside the cabinet and the glass turn table was totally shattered.

We moved into action to smother the fire to prevent the flame from accessing the magnetron. The next day, we called Sears Service. The technician was scheduled for a 12:00 PM to 5 PM window of time. At 6:19 PM, I received a text that technician was "on the way." At 7:00 PM I called, dispatcher could not locate technician. A technician was rescheduled for Monday. The technical arrived on Monday and said that he came on Friday but could not see an address (our address is located on our mailbox). When the technician viewed the cabinet of the microwave and he stated that he had never seen anything like that. He called his senior team but stated that he was having difficulty in cell phone service. He could forward photos of the cabinet to the Senior Team. The exterior of the microwave looks brand new. The technician departed.

We received an email stating that the fire was caused by customer negligence. Therefore, the warranty was cancelled and no further action would be taken. We called Service. We were told that the microwave was totally burned by us. We explained that this microwave is setting in our cabinet. It is totally burned. If you walked into our kitchen you would never know about the damage within the cabinet. Of course, my husband disconnected the microwave from electricity to prevent another fire from happening.

We asked for another technician to make an assessment of the damage. We were told that we would have to pay a service charge for a technician to come out again. We consented to pay the charge for an assessment. Sears then proceeded to attempt to send the same technician again. My husband called in protest. He was told that the particular technician was the technician for this area. We are totally disappointed in this defective product and the Customer Service rendered by Sears. They have no regard for the customers who purchase their products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We have had this for 4 years with no issues. Yesterday we had not used the microwave in several hours. Then my husband heard a pop in the kitchen. When we went out there the entire glass was shattered. There were small shards of glass on the stove and the floor. I have never heard of this happening. I googled it. That’s when I learned this happens if there is a defect in the glass. Thank goodness no one was in the kitchen or using the microwave at the time. A new microwave will cost less than the door will cost to replace. Go figure.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Do not purchase the Kenmore countertop microwave or any Kenmore product. I have lost all faith in Sears and the Kenmore brand. The Microwave tray inside bangs around now and all the paint on inside door when you open the door on the bottom is now all peeling off. This was a total rip off. There is no way this microwave should not have lasted longer. I have my receipt online at Sears.com, was purchased on 4/1/18. Guess the April fool’s joke is on me and they get another consumer’s hard earned money. So disappointed to say the least. Just awful!

Original review: June 30, 2018

My Kenmore over the hood microwave handle has been replaced at least 3 times because it’s so called “chrome” handle melts! Don’t buy Kenmore microwaves! So disappointed! As I am now shopping for a new microwave I am looking for a brand that has a solid stainless steel handle. Any suggestions?

Original review: June 2, 2018

My Kenmore microwave is 16 months old and it is arcing. I called Kenmore and they said "SORRY. If you don't have insurance then we can't help you." Is the quality so bad that a consumer is forced to take out insurance now? I will never buy Kenmore products again. Now I am afraid that the stove, refrigerator and dishwasher will end up in the trash also. Do not buy Kenmore products. They are not what they used to be.

Original review: May 2, 2018

$1000 Kenmore Pro 89393 microwave stopped working 4 months after warranty expired. Kenmore and Sears WON'T do a thing about it!! Purchased nearly $6000 in appliances and they will NEVER get my business again!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I've had a 79080373310 for about 4 years. It's the 2nd Kenmore Elite microwave we've had as the first one was replaced under warranty. The first year due to the cabinet dissolving/chipping. The current one started having electrical arcing in the stirrer fan area after the warranty expired. It would do this occasionally and I would buy a replacement part (stirrer fan coupler) that was plastic and would burn. The replacement would last 4-5 months and then have issues again. The most recent issue caused the stirrer fan motor to burn/melt - making the microwave unusable. Yet Sears won't admit there's a fault and I'm not paying $250 for a service call.

Original review: April 1, 2018

Kenmore Household Microwave 790.80373310 - I've had this unit for exactly two years. Never had a moment's problem. It's an over the stove model and the other day I was running the fan on low while boiled eggs. After I was done, I noticed a smell of something being hot. I ignored it but when I went to shut off the fan it wouldn't. I tried several times but finally I unplugged it and pulled it back in. The fan shut off but I smell was stronger. An hour later I went to use the microwave and found that then plastic turntable inside as well as the smaller turntable had gotten so hot it turned from red to black and MELTED! Keep in mind, the only thing that was running was the fan when this happened. I tried to call Sears and was just given the runaround. It's two years old! It could have burned down my house if I'd left it alone. I'm horrified about this situation.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

The over-the-range Kenmore microwave caught on fire where the rack attaches to the internal framing. I called Sears and was passed along to FIVE different people all saying that there is no recall on this model (80323 model # 79080323310; serial #KG 60953623). Clearly there is a problem and Sears/Kenmore is not willing to acknowledge a faulty product. I have found similar examples from other customers where the microwave caught on fire in exactly the same location - where the rack inserts into the internal framing. FAULTY PRODUCT! DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I've been using this microwave (Model #204.79393610) for about a month, sometimes it doesn't shut off when the timer gets to zero. If you press stop nothing happens, if you open the door it keeps on running. You have to unplug it and then it might reboot.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I was microwaving a small bag of popcorn. I pressed the popcorn button. The timer went off and when I opened the bag had not completely popped and the shelf fell and caught the inside on fire where the bracket is. Is there a Recall on this? Model number is 721.85032111 made by Kenmore. Serial number 109TA04672.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I am very concerned with my Kenmore countertop microwave. I owned it for about two years, it now will work when off position with door open. After it stop and go to 0.00, I open the door to retrieve my food. It start working. I contact Sears. I was told that this item is not on recall and that I should send it to repair on my expensive. My most concern is that Sears did not even care if this could be a dangerous for my family. From what I understand because of radiation, microwaves should only be working while doors are closed.

Original review: March 22, 2017

The microwave oven tech explained that unless you open the very difficult to open door exactly right, then you might pop the fuse in the oven and short it out. If you lift up just slightly on the door rather than pulling precisely level it could pop. Very poor design if it's that easy to do.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Don't buy Kenmore products, Sears or Kenmore does not care about their customers. We upgraded all our kitchen appliances to stainless steel look with near top of the line Kenmore items. My wife and I chose Kenmore because our parents always had them and felt would be better than the construction grade items that are usually low quality when our new home was built. All the original items worked fine and had no issues after 12 years of service, again figured we were upgrading and to get the stainless look. What a mistake!! After one year and one month, all the sudden the Kenmore microwave model 79080353310 internal fan won't turn off, not the external exhaust fan when door is shut.

Called Kenmore/Sears and no care at all for the customer or this new product failure. The solution is to pay $249 for a service call and/or $80 plus $49 month to have a service contract for a $600 microwave that is 1 year and 1 month old, 1 month out of warranty??? Of course they said they were sorry but no desire to help in any way except call the people that make them for them?? What's up with that? I bought a Kenmore not another brand? That would be like me saying, "yes I assembled the Ford automobile but can't help you because this vendor builds the parts for us?"

Sears is not the company my Dad worked 30 years for and were all about helping and taking care of customers. This experience obviously tells all of us consumers NOT TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT!!! It's sad this company believe is "throw it away and get another one". If there is someone out there reading this from the company and wants to contact me an address, I'm a open and loyal customer that believes in giving people and companies a chance to make this right.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I purchased a Kenmore elite microwave three years ago. Model # 790-80373310. I only use my condo four months per year. So the unit is hardly used. It is an over the oven hooded convection as well. Problem is (could turn out to be a fire hazard) the microwave does not count down the seconds nor does it respond to stop or any other command. It just keeps on going. Sears response is that they would send someone for 249$ to look at it. I would like to know if I should report this to Safer Products Recall or if anyone has had a similar problem.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I purchased a new Kenmore microwave from Sears less than 3 years ago. For the past 2 weeks, it has been coming on by itself. There is no time left on the display and no one is around when it comes on. When this happens, it will not allow me to turn it off by the display, so we have to unplug it. Sears nor the Customer Service will assist me due to out of 1 year warranty and I didn't purchase an extended warranty. So, I am purchasing a new microwave that is NOT Kenmore or from Sears. We are taking this item to an elec. trash hauler so that no one experiences this fire hazard. Manufacturers should stand by their products. As a consumer, I expect a microwave to last longer than this and to be safe.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

This microwave Kenmore is super good and make the meal ready on time when need be done. I have one and work well and be with me all years.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I personally love Kenmore products. They never let me down. Always long lasting built well.. pretty sad to see sears stores closing.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I bought a new Kenmore, 1.6 Cu. Ft. counter top Microwave for Christmas. I like popcorn a lot and it is one of the most frequent things I use the Microwave for. This new one always burns popcorn. When I use the "popcorn" button it burns. If I reduce the time, I have a 1/2 bag of burnt popcorn. If I reduce the power level to .9 and cook for the same time, I get a 1/2 bag of burnt popcorn. What's going on???

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Microwave is brand new, 1600 watts and has 12 presets. But that's what my issue is about. The presets over-cook everything! Example: the potato button, I placed my potatoes in and pushed the button. The screen said Sensor and cooked for 4 minutes then the screen changed to Time of 5 min and 36 sec. I had to stop the machine after 1 minute because my potatoes was smoking and so was my machine! I'm not going to use any of the preset buttons because I'm afraid I'll end up having a fire.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I really like my microwave. It's a really good brand. I got a lot of used of it, the size is great, perfect for my kitchen not too small and not too big. Although the value is a little bit too expensive. Thank you for taking my opinion in consideration, I really enjoy doing this survey because it gave me the opportunity to tell the manufacturers how the product work and it gave me the opportunity to pay it forward, in this case to the children's cancer research.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

The control panel is on the right side. If you boil water/cook on the stove just below the control panel, sometimes the solder on the circuit board will dissolve and the microwave will not function. If you have the minimum clearance required between your stove-top microwave and the stove burners, also avoid boiling water in large pots just below the microwave control panel. No problems now that I know what went wrong with the first one.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Kenmore is very clear & proper with specified chemical or painting methods, that makes it very hard to scratch compared with other microwaves. I wish that more descriptions & options would hopefully be included within better writing methods or include additional software upon the microwave for better approaches.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

We are visiting/renting a condo in Hawaii. The Whirlpool microwave in it does not cook things. It spins and lights etc but does not cook. The ONLY place on island that guarantees to service an appliance is SEARS and they had a reasonably priced good sized microwave so it works and is great. We will give it to charity when we leave.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I think tools in the kitchen should be easy to use, for the whole family. This microwave is small, but mighty. So I love that it doesn't take up a lot of space, but it's fast. I don't cook a lot in it, but use it more for quick warm ups of leftovers, melting butter for cooking, making popcorn, warming coffee, etc. And I appreciate the 30 second button that it has, and use it a lot. It's perfect, and does a beautiful job.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

I've had this unit for several years, it has served me well. I do not try to cook complete meals with it, I use it mainly for warming precooked food items or melting butter, cheese or warming water etc. It probably could use an energy upgrade & minor cosmetics!

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a household name in many parts of the world. The company has more than a century of experience in the appliance industry and provides a wide range of high-quality products that include ovens, microwaves, vacuum cleaners, cooking pots and other home essentials.

• Wide selection: Kenmore has dozens of microwaves available, each with its own set of special features. They are manufactured in different colors, sizes and price points.

• Diamondback: The Diamondback technology of certain Kenmore microwaves eradicates the need for the rotating plate. The microwaves bounce off the diamond indentations and are redirected to provide even heating.

• Freezer to plate: The continual heating selection allows you to defrost and then cook various items without having to stop and reset the microwave.

• Convection: The convection setting allows you to change from conventional microwave heating to fan-powered convection through a heated element. This is better for roasting and baking.

• High wattage: Kenmore microwaves are manufactured in a variety of sizes and wattages. The energy capacity of these ovens reaches up to 1100 watts.

• Best for: Singles and couples, small families, large families and commercial kitchens.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs