2. Homeowners

GE Refrigerators

GE Refrigerators
Shop on Build.com
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.26/5

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

GE Refrigerators Shop on Build.com

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2011

My husband and I purchased a side-by-side refrigerator four years ago. On the first year, the freezer went out on it. Now this thing is making a howling noise

that is driving me crazy. It is so loud that I can not even sleep and it runs for hours.

I am so tired from not getting sleep that I feel like taking a bat and just smashing it till it's in bits and pieces.

We will never buy another GE product again, especially a refrigerator.

And you know the worst thing about this is that I was warned about GE refrigerators. When we first started looking, my stepmother told me that her and my dad have a GE and she told me that it was the noisiest thing. But I did not listen. I thought how noisy could a refrigerator be? To my surprise, a lot!

We are very disappointed with this purchase!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2011

We have a GE refrigerator purchased in 2003 that stopped cooling. Very nice repairman came and said the motherboard was bad. GE parts are so ridiculously priced, total price $321.16.

Remember this when purchasing appliances, check the cost of replacement parts. They charged $80 just for the service call, plus $80 to swap the board. Not happy. The rich just keep getting richer!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2011

8 years ago, my wife and I purchased a G.E. bottom freezer model # GBS20KBPAWW from a local appliance store and purchased a 5 year extended warranty. During the 5 years we had to replace the "motherboard" twice at no cost to us, then the warranty ran out. We have now had to replace the "motherboard" twice on our "dime", which has totaled up to over 450.00 dollars. Can't the chinese make a longer lasting "motherboard"? I'd say that we will not be buying another G.E. Refrigerator, but, whose is to say some other manufacturer doesn't use the same "motherboard" from CHINA?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2011

We bought a GE Profile Refrigerator Side by Side for our new house we built 3 1/2 years ago, we paid $2,500.

One year later it started having problems, we had the technician over many time. It was very inconvenient, they don't have a specific time they are coming, so you have to drop everything and sit and wait till they come. They could not fix it after several trips and several parts order. Finally they replace it for another one, we had to pay $500 extra for replacement.

Now after two more years we are having problems with the replacement. We had the technician over at our house dozen times, he ordered parts after parts, and installed them, but still not working. Finally, the refrigerator quit on us. On July 27, the technician ordered 3 parts, came and installed a week later, and still did not work. We ordered another part and that time, the part came in on Monday and they will not be able to come and install until next week.

GE Profile seems to be a lemon, therefore the consumers should know this, as it is important, it is an inconvenience to have such an appliance that is expensive and you have to have someone constantly working and installing parts. In 40 years we've been married, we had never had problems with appliances, for sure I would not buy a GE Profile anymore, and would not recommend anyone to buy one.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2011

I bought a GE Profile refrigerator with ice maker (model #PFSS6PKCSS). We told them it would not be installed right away since we were just starting construction on the kitchen in our second home. They said warranties will not take effect until the unit was installed. Their GE representative knows the area is mostly second or summer homes.

When the unit was installed, the ice machine did not work. They sent someone out and GE said the service call will be covered under warranty. Since then, two different service representatives have been out to fix the ice machine on 4 or 5 different occasions. On the last call they realized that this particular model had a factory problem. The company had sprayed foam in the lines so that the ice machine would never work. The problem was deemed not repairable.

I was told that Sarah from Consumer Relations would call us in 24-48 hours. That was on July 11th. It is now August 8 and I have yet to hear from her. I have made several calls and have written a letter to the department. Sarah has not returned my call nor have I heard back from the letter.

I did talk to one person and was told that my refrigerator was no longer under warranty, but they would give me some percentage of money for a brand new refrigerator of the same model. I said, "Why would I buy the same model when I know they have a problem with it and why was it considered a warranty problem when it was the company who caused the problem?" They were the ones who put foam in the lines. I was told Sarah would have to get back to me. I have made other attempts since then to get hold of Sarah. I had no luck in any response from her.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2011

This is a GE Profile Refrigerator complaint, Model PSS26MSWA.

We purchased a new GE Profile fridge for our new home in April 2007. Last week, our icemaker stopped making ice. We scheduled an appointment online at GE's website. The GE repairman arrived promptly this morning at 9:09 a.m. and was professional and courteous. He quickly diagnosed the problem as a broken motor, grabbed a new icemaker from the truck and expertly installed it. He was finished and had the bill ready by 9:18, less than 10 minutes after arriving. Excellent, right? Except that we were charged $165.15 for labor.

Okay, so $165.15 for 10 minutes, that's $990.90 per hour! Where do I sign up for one of those jobs? But that's the thing; the repairman certainly doesn't make $990.90 per hour or $39,636 per week. If he did, he wouldn't have had to delay his retirement. The cost of the icemaker was reasonable, I believe $108. The visit was $79.99, but I assumed that would be deducted from the labor cost.

When I read the schedule service details that I printed out when I made the appointment online, I discovered that a labor charge is in addition to the $79.99 visit charge (plus tax). Okay, they got me there but charging $165.15 minus $79.99 (visit) equals $85.16. Even if you think a visit fee should be separate from the labor fee (which I don't), $85.16 for a ten-minute repair is $510.96 an hour! That's really outrageous and shame on GE!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2011

I had the choice of calling my home warranty company, or GE to repair my refrigerator/freezer. The unit is a six foot wide side by side costing $10,000. The unit is no longer under warranty. I called GE, and waited a day for them to come out. I pointed out the first problem (water on the refrigerator side floor) which was fixed in 5 minutes by blowing a hose in the drain hole and then running hot water, and the second problem the freezer was not as cold as it should be and frozen items felt somewhat soft.

The GE technician said that I had left the freezer door open, and there was no problem. Cost of repair $99 service call + $85 for five minute drain fix. The next day I noticed the freezer was still not working, and called GE. They told me I would have to wait an additional day to get on their schedule, but they would note to call me if someone cancelled (No call came). I was asked if I wanted 8am-5pm service, or 1pm-5pm. I said the earlier the better under the circumstances, and choose the whole day waiting. At 3:00 I called GE, and they said that they were running late and would be out around 5:30pm. I now have over $500 in spoiled frozen foods, and hope they show up.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2011

Purchased a GE Profile Refrigerator about 4 1/2 years ago from Desears, also purchased a 5 year extended repair warranty. About 6 months ago the unit quit cooling, Desears is no longer in business, Warrentech took over the extended warranties and sent out the repair people. They ordered parts which took a several weeks to arrive then the repaired several items on the unit and said it may work but they were not sure. GE has many problems like this. Today 6 months later, not cooling. Parts on backorder for about 2 months or longer. Who goes without a refrigerator for 2 months?

Original review: July 31, 2011

I bought a new fridge to replace a 20 year old one. Had problems since the first year. Ice turns to water and things thaw. Repair people advise that it is crap and can't be fixed! Great! A 3 year old ** that cost 3200K

Original review: July 31, 2011

For the 3rd time in 6 years, my GE Monogram side by side refrigerator is broken. Right now, the temperature in the fridge side is 48 while the freezer is 30. I've scheduled my 3rd service call and I guarantee you that the tech will say it's the motherboard. It's been replaced twice. A quick Google search will reveal that GE has known that the motherboard is ** since 2006. In fact, a "silent recall" was issued to suppliers - not consumers. I spent $1000 in repairs - not including wasted food - since 2008 on what's supposed to be GE's top of the line product in this category.

GE, I want a new refrigerator including the wood panels I currently have and I want reimbursement for the previous service calls since you've known for five years that the part was **. When can I expect my check and my new fridge?

Original review: July 24, 2011

bought GE Monogram Frig in 2006 for $5088. Have had numerous issues with it, had service several times (all at my cost). Latest problem is the cooling/freezing isnt working. All frozen food was thawing out. Bottom drawer in fridge was freezing lettuce, etc. Dont buy this product, and dont buy any GE appliances!

Original review: July 16, 2011

Last summer I received 1st and 2nd degree burns from the freezer. I had to unclog a jam w/ the ice maker and there are some kind of coils behind it that i guess you are not supposed to touch, no warning label, nothing covering it, pictures to prove it. Let GE know they sent me $50 for my inconvenience! All of our kitchen are GE Profile appliances, the date says 2007 on the, have had to replace parts in dishwasher, freezer and fridge. My oven does not self clean, turns off now on top of it all, the microwave has peeling paint at the bottom!!!!! It is a wall unit w/ oven. I called and was told not safe to use!

Original review: July 12, 2011

I too, am afraid I might have swallowed shavings of sharp plastic glass from the ice maker's auger. I have a GE Side by Side refrigerator with model no. GSS22WGPA BB and serial no. DF246778 which was installed on 8/1/2003. After more than 7 years of refrigerator service, I have had so many problems with my GE refrigerator. But finding an inch-long piece of a shaved, sharp piece of plastic glass on July 11 2011 scared me to death. And what shocked me even more is finding out on ConsumerAffairs.com that the problem is very common. Apparently, there have been many reports of people reporting the same problem with the ice maker's auger.

If so, why in the heck is there not a company recall on the auger? Does somebody have to seriously choke and die before something is done? Does GE not care about the human welfare of its customers? Apparently not. I once had trusted in GE, not now. You would think by now someone would have contacted me. GE could have warned me about the likeliness of what could happen with the faulty auger, so I can keep an eye out for my family's safety. A letter, a courtesy call, anything to show GE cared, would have been nice. If GE wants to wait until a lawsuit, that is fine with me; but here is what went down today.

I came home from work, rinsed some dishes, and used the garbage disposal. After turning on the garbage disposal, something was refusing to get chopped up. It turned out to be a sharp piece of plastic glass. I had no idea where it was from, but I hung onto it. Later on, I went to get some ice out of the ice maker, and there was no ice coming out. I thought the ice was clogged together. I took the ice maker out of the refrigerator and started de-clogging the ice. I soon noticed the auger looked kind of funny. Upon further examination, I realized the auger was clearly broken, and not just a little piece, a whole piece of a spiral was missing. It was clearly broken off. I could see the rough edges where the pieces have broken off.

Original review: July 12, 2011

We entered into a GE Service contract on November 25, 2009 and were to begin service on 12/25/09. As of 07/11/11, we've had numerous service calls (in excess of three calls for each appliance). Their customer service is not helpful, and scheduling for service for appliances is time-consuming. The technician comes out to "check" appliances and then orders parts, only to return a second or third time to replace/repair appliance. As per the terms of the contract, I am requesting replacement appliances since the appliances are currently not working properly and have had more than three service calls to date.

We are still waiting for parts for our dryer and have not received a call back as to why the part has not arrived. The refrigerator has never worked properly since it was purchased. Since the technician cannot technically find anything wrong, but has replaced numerous parts, GE is stating that the appliance is functioning as should be. The management has suggested placing liquids such as milk in the freezer to reach a desired temperature. Also, she has suggested buying different brands of products such as ice cream, etc. In essence, I believe appliances that are purchased, and are less than one or two years old, should not have the problems that we've experienced.

Original review: July 10, 2011

I have a GE Profile side-by-side Arctica PSS27SGNABS refrigerator/freezer (Serial number GD405747). For a few weeks the refrigerator seemed to keep things too cold and the freezer wouldn't stay at 0 F (tended toward 6 F). Then the refrigerator wouldn't get below about 40 F and the freezer wouldn't get below 18 F. The refrigerator is not that old (circa 2005). A repairman came out and charged us $300 and changed the sensor circuit board. he said to wait 24 hours. Result was that neither refrigerator or freezer worked, so we called him back. He came back and said the door between the freezer and refrigerator compartments wasn't working properly and so he changed that, and again said to wait 24 hours. The result was that both compartments started heating up (~44F) well above their set points.

Also, the condenser/compressor combination seemed to be in a state which caused a weird noise like they were constantly going on and off. Then a second repairman (third visit) came out and said the first repairman put in the wrong circuit board for our refrigerator. He changed that out and said wait 24 hours and it would work. We are back to the initial state where the freezer doesn't get below 14F, although the refrigerator does seem to stay at the set pont. Each time my wife has to hire persons to work at her store while she waits to meet with the repairman (they won't work at night) and so she loses the cost to pay these employees. GE consumer service is not available except during hours when we work. GE repairs can only schedule someone to come back out but gives no guarantee that they will actually fix the refrigerator. By the way, when I contacted them first by email, they never responded and so we were forced to call.

They did send a service request relative to the email contact and so I let them know that their email didn't work either.

Original review: July 8, 2011

I open the door of the GE refrigerator freezer on the bottom and no light comes on. After I tap the switch, then the light comes on and compressor comes on. The minute the door closes, the compressor goes off, and the same thing happens to the freezer. This unit is only 2 years old. I called GE, but they said it is not covered to call for service, which I now have to pay for. I just bought the fridge for $650.00; and if I have to pay for service, I will never buy from the GE brand again.

Original review: July 1, 2011

I purchased GE Monogram All Refrigerator in 2009. In February, it has black mold so I called a technician and two men were scheduled to work on the fridge.

On Feb. 2, 2011, two technicians replaced temperature control. On May 5, 2011, I called the monogram service 800-444-184 because the black mold was back. I spoke with Jasmine. Next day, I called the monogram service again and spoke with Amber, who stated, "You can't ever get rid of mold."

I wanted fridge replaced or money back so I could purchase a new fridge, but Amber stated no. I asked to speak with her supervisor but she said they do not speak on the phone--they schedule and fire people. I asked for her bosses' boss and she stated his name is Ryan but did not know his last name. He is the head of consumer relations, but has no number.

Amber had two solutions: 1) Have the tech out, or 2) she could give me a discount on a new GE refrigerator. I stated to send the tech out. I asked if the call was recorded and she stated yes. I explained my concern with a son who has respiratory issues.

On May 9, 2011, technician Don was sent. He said the fridge had no history of problems or repairs. Don called Tennessee using our phone (his phone was losing power). Don spoke with Charles, the engineer, who told him to replace the cold control as there was no record of it being replaced before. I told him i believed this was done in February. He told me Charles had no record of this and ordered a new cold control unit to be replaced on Monday, the 11th.

After he left, I called with Marla, who found the unit was replaced in February. I asked her to have Amber be made aware and take control of this issue, as it appeared there was lack of communication between different departments at GE.

On June 27, 2011, Don came and said everything is functioning properly and that the company has no idea how to fix the mold problem. He called headquarters and got an OK to check the fan for mold. The fan was free of mold. He said Amanda will call us tomorrow on how to resolve the issue.

On July 1, 2011, a call from Amber (id # 715966), case manager, stated she did not have information from the technician and that they won't reimburse me for the refrigerator. The best offer they will do is sell me the same refrigerator for $1302. I explained I do not trust GE. Amber's boss is Starla (id # 80658). Team leader Amber is waiting for information from the engineer on how to fix our refrigerator.

Original review: July 1, 2011

I bought a GE bottom freezer refrigerator in 2004 for $999 from Home Depot. This was a major purchase for me but as I was looking towards retirement, I decided this company had a good reputation so I purchased it.

To date, I have had at least seven service calls involving the fan freezing, which froze all my food in the vegetable bins and requiring a service person to come out and defrost the fan.

On one occasion, I had a major buzzing and the refrigerator portion ended up being warm--losing all my items in the refrigerator. In March, April, May and June of this year, the service man has been called in to service this reoccurring problem with frozen vegetables in the bins. In June, I had asked when enough is enough for this defective design?

I am so glad I had taken out the extended insurance for this product. Otherwise, I would have been out of pocket for all the service calls.

Original review: June 27, 2011

I got my GE refrigerator in Nov 2006 upon purchasing my new home. I also have a GE dishwasher, stove, and microwave. Within the first month of moving into my home, I called GE service for warranty repair on my refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. I will concentrate on the refrigerator since this is the main issue that I suffer with the most.

I complained of the refrigerator making a very loud noise and not cooling correctly. I was told that this was normal and nothing was done. Within the following year, the problem persisted but felt like there was no recourse because of what I was told from the first service call. Then about a year ago, my trouble started again.

The water and ice dispenser on the door quit working; it would make a noise, and the light would come on but dimly. Then a few months later, the refrigerator side started dropping temperature and wouldn't stay cool; but the freezer seemed to be fine. We unplugged and cleaned the coils, thinking that it was what was wrong. It started working again, we thought but it was only short lived. The refrigerator side still didn't seem to be keeping the correct temperature so we turned it up, and then everything started freezing on the refrigerator side. So we turned it back down to 6 from 7, and it went back to not cooling correctly.

I started doing some research and found out that GE had problems with the main board in these refrigerators, plus other problems also. I decided to try the board and found one for $130 at a local Appliance Parts Store and replaced it. It has been 2 days and things seem to be okay, but, I don't know if the freezer has gone through a defrost cycle. From what I have read, this can become an issue and also the thermistors and thermostat could have problems also. I took the cover off the freezer coils to look at them and when doing so, found a melted spot on the bottom of the molding. This is really close to the defroster.

Now, I don't know if I have a bigger problem. I have read where some of these refrigerators have caused fires. I wish that GE would step up and take responsibility for these issues. I can't afford to go out and buy a new refrigerator; I couldn't afford the part and I had to borrow money to do this repair. I hope that this wasn't a mistake. GE, please stand behind your word that you are concerned about your product.

Original review: June 24, 2011

GE top of the line profile refrigerator stopped cooling. Scheduled rep to fix refrigerator with warrantied parts. GE called a day earlier saying their rep was in the area and we reconfirmed it was the next day. The next day, no one showed up and we were told we'd have to reschedule. This same scenario happened 3 times, there is an enormous disconnect between the warranty company and GE scheduling. The GE dispatchers really seemed to be the ones screwing everything up. I had to take 2 days off work and had to have a friend sit at my place the 3rd time and constantly call GE dispatch to assure someone would come fix it.

Over 3 weeks without a refrigerator due to the ineptitude of GE. Had to take 2 days off of work to "meet with their techs", although they never showed, without being reimbursed by GE. All of our food was lost and spent countless hours with GE customer service, if I had to ballpark it, we spent collectively over 6 hours of phone time. Do not buy GE.

Original review: June 13, 2011

I have a major complaint with my GE Profile Arctica side-by-side refrigerator. Below is the timeline of events.

April 2007 – I purchased GE Profile Arctica side-by-side model PSI23SCRGSV, serial no FM403649 from Sears for $2340. All was well until August 2009. I came downstairs in the morning to find fresh food compartment over 60F. Top light and control panel were out. There was a loud click and then they started working again. Somehow, overnight it had gotten hot enough to melt butter. I lost all food. I took photos (available on request) and called GE service. Of course, by the time the tech got here, the refrigerator was cooling normally again. Main board and top control panel replaced. I was charged $286.36.

12th of December 2009 – I opened refrigerator door to discover the top light and control panel out. Top light hood was very hot to the touch. I heard a loud click and the light and panel turned on again, temperature was 6 in freezer, 43 in fresh food (regular temps are set to 0 and 37). After 8 hours, temps returned to normal. I called GE service, they sent out a tech on the 14th December 2009.

Tech told us that it was probably the main board. He said that they replace them all the time, but they are not defective or poorly made (huh?). He has hundreds of them on his truck. I mentioned that it was already replaced and I had already paid for it in August and that these things should not be failing on a less-than-three year old fridge and certainly not within 3 months of a prior replacement. He told me that every now and then, some of them are bad and maybe we got a bad one the last time. But I’d still have to pay to have a new one installed because they don't "bench test" parts to see if they are okay, they just replace them. Main board replaced. I was charged $210.93.

14th of December 2009 - Internet research reveals hundreds of consumer complaints regarding GE main boards failing repeatedly. I discovered a letter from GE to its Customer Care Servicers regarding a defective main board (copy available on request). While my refrigerator does not fall in the list of suspected models for this "silent recall", I suspect there is a problem with the replacement boards as well.

14th of December 2009 – I complained to GE Customer Relations via **. I demanded reimbursement for having to pay for the same issue twice. I received a call back from "Diana" on 17th of December 2009. She refused a complete refund and offered to reimburse the cost of the service call only, or nothing. I took the $74.95 refund because it was better than nothing, case # **.

11th of June 2011 – I opened the refrigerator to discover that the top light and panel was out and the temperature was registering 63F. Freezer was at -5F. Normal settings are 37F and 0F. I took photos of the fridge. Photos are available on request. I removed light panel and bulb. Bulb was warm but not hot. Metal plate above the light socket was extremely hot. I inserted thermometer probe and registered over 200F. I turned the breaker off at the panel for 60 seconds, and then turned it back on. The refrigerator is now cooling again. I did not replace the light or the housing and have a thermometer probe in the fridge now, with an external readout so I can monitor cooling.

I called GE Service, but they were closed. I logged on to the website and requested service. I sent email to GE regarding this issue since it is the 3rd time with the same symptoms. Today, I used Twitter to try to get GE's attention. They are non-responsive. I cancelled service order until I can get confirmation that GE will resolve this repeated issue at no charge to me. I'd like to have everything in writing since "things change" when phone calls are involved.

The issues with the main board WR55X10552, as originally outlined in GE's letter to Servicers dated 7th of November 2006 (obtained online and I have a copy available on request in PDF format), seem to be happening to its replacement WR55X10942 as well. This does not sit well with me as I have already had (and have been charged for) 2 replacements since 2009. It appears that the lifespan of these boards is less than 2 years. It costs $200-300 dollars per instance, not including lost food. This does not speak highly of GE's quality and reliability. Again, this is a refrigerator I purchased new in April 2007. Whatever happened to appliances lasting 10+ years? Whatever happened to GE's quality and reliability? Do their electronics have the same rate of failure?

I am really not looking forward to dealing with GE service again, as they clearly have a problem with their main boards and feel it is okay to charge the customer for repeated repairs on the same issue. I cannot afford to buy a new refrigerator every couple of years. I also cannot afford to spend $200-300 every couple of years to fix an appliance, nor can I afford to spend $200 to replace lost food contents whenever these parts fail prematurely.

I want GE to provide service, labor and parts to fix my refrigerator at no charge to me, and assurance that any future failure of this part will be their responsibility.

Original review: June 12, 2011

This is about my GE refrigerator model no. PSI23SCRGSV. This is the third time I have had a problem with this refrigerator and it is the exact same sequence of symptoms that I have experienced before. I opened the refrigerator late this afternoon to discover that the top light and panel was out and the temperature was registering 63 F. Freezer was at -5 F. Normal settings are 37F and 0F. I took photos of the fridge. Photos are available on request. I removed light panel and bulb. Bulb warmed, but not hot. Metal plate above the light socket was extremely hot. Inserted thermometer probe registered over 200F. I turned the breaker off at the panel for 60 seconds, then turned it back on.

The refrigerator is now cooling. I did not replace the light or the housing, and have a thermometer probe in the fridge now, with an external readout, so I can monitor cooling. I did this after the last instance of this issue in December 2009. I called GE service, but the office is closed. So I logged on to GE online and requested service. The confirmation number is ** and is scheduled for Monday, 13 June, because I need my refrigerator fixed. I can predict just what will happen when the repair tech comes out -- he'll ask what's wrong, it'll be cooling fine, he'll plug in his diagnostic computer and it will either look fine, or he'll offer to replace the mainboard. I'll get charged either way. Outrageous and unconscionable considering this will be the third time.

The recall issues with the mainboard WR55X10552 as originally outlined in GE's letter to servicers dated 7 November 2006 seem to be happening to its replacement WR55X10942 as well. This does not sit well with me as I have already had 2 replacements since 2009. It appears that the lifespan of these boards is, at best, 2 years. And at $200+ dollars per instance, does not speak highly of GE's quality and reliability.

A quick internet search reveals hundreds of consumer complaints from this year alone regarding mainboard failures. It's disgraceful. I am really not looking forward to dealing with GE service again, as they clearly have a problem with their mainboards and feel it is okay to charge the customer for repeated repairs on the same issue. I want GE to take responsibility for these defective boards and do not want to be charged for the inevitable replacement I am about to face for the third time! Ideally, I would like a refrigerator that works reliably and consistently. You know, like they used to make.

Original review: June 10, 2011

I purchased a GE refrigerator less than 3 yrs. ago, and on Sunday night it stopped working. I called service on Monday morning only to be told a service tech would not be there until Friday, which is 5 days later. After much complaining, I was told they'd see what they could do. The service arrived on Wednesday morning, without any common parts. It had to be ordered, which could take 7 days, and again, they'd expedite. It's Friday, and still no parts. I am very disgruntled. I have spent thousands at PC Richards. They obviously are understaffed and don't carry parts needed to service the appliances they sell.

Original review: June 1, 2011

I am again required to spend $127.68, because GE has had a faulty part, i.e., a bad defrost heater for the second time in 6 years. My dealer said, "I am suprised it lasted this long." It is Model TFX227PDAWW Serial FZ258025. The dealer noted that this is an ongoing problem. If I am going to shop for a new refrigerator, could you direct me toward a brand (other than GE) which would be reliable? I look forward to your response. Steve **

Original review: May 31, 2011

I am a widow on a fixed income. When my husband passed we were buying a lake front property in South Carolina. It came with appliances. The GE refrigerator/freezer began right away having problems with the ice maker not working then the water not coming out. Now the freezer and refrigerator are not cooling properly and I have to wait two weeks to pay for a service call and I am not sure I will be able to pay for the repairs. I cannot find out if it was recalled.

Original review: May 30, 2011

Moved into a new home with all GE profile appliances. I have had nothing but complaints with the GE Bottom Freezer fridge. First the plastic water line broke, flooding my basement. Then plastic pieces started falling off from the interior (eg., door stop). Now the freezer is broken. The door is extremely hot to touch. It's an obvious fire hazard. So now, I guess I have to go and purchase another fridge. I refuse to pay another dime on repairs. What a wasted investment. I'm very disappointed with GE.

Original review: May 30, 2011

I have tried to find out about the refrigerator we had purchased four years ago that we are having problems with. I got a response from Donna, the Appliance Specialist, but she told me that there are no known problems with my model. I tried to type in my model number GSG22JFTAWW, but it will not come up. I even tried the serial number ** and still nothing. I have read many issues with the GE brand refrigerators with the same problems, first the ice cubes freezing together in a large quantity that we have to take the bin out and empty it because it will get stuck. Then suddenly the ice drops would form once in a while in the freezer on the food and the racks. That is when we noticed it running often. Now, it is all the time.

We see the water drops all over then it will freeze to the drops of ice and on the food it gets to be large slabs of ice the was once defrosted water running all over. I started doing some searches on the web and finding other GE refrigerators doing the same thing and that there was a recall for the Motherboard. There was a problem with the defrost and heat mechanism being so close that I had a feeling that was my problem. I had filled out the registration paper and never heard a thing.

I don't understand why I never heard of this problem before I did some searches. Also, whenever I put in my model number, it never comes up. I had a refrigerator for many years and never had a problem. When I moved into this house, the one here was old but worked fine. We did some remodeling and figured to get new appliances, well we picked all GE brands, and now have problems with this. If there is a problem with the model in itself, I feel they should be responsible for the repairs, but this woman seems I should be the one to get it fixed after spending over $1000.00 for it, in only four years old they should. And yes, I am kicking myself for not getting the extended warranty. And yes, we did do research on the appliances before we purchased them. Needless to say, I will never purchase another GE refrigerator again nor will I recommend one to anyone. My stove is good, the dishwasher not so much either.

I have lost a significant amount of food, until I got smart and put most of my stuff in an extra freezer we have. I can't use the ice maker I personally like to have and wanted for when we have company. I'm sure that my electric bill is more now that it has to run longer to freeze again. I am tired of opening my freezer door and have ice fall out all over my floor. I have to keep something in it so I don't always have to go into the garage to get something.

Original review: May 18, 2011

My story is the same as many on this website. In 2006, we built a new house with all GE Monogram appliances. The refrigerator is a nightmare and has not worked properly since the first year. GE technicians cannot fix it. They have made more than 6 service calls since January. I am on my third mother board.

At first, I thought the problem was with the contract company that GE recommended to do warranty work. Since those people were never able to fix it for more than a few months at a time, I began dealing with GE service techs exclusively. But, even these guys can't solve the problems with the cooling.

Original review: May 15, 2011

After reading online I am one of hundreds who have this same problem with GE Profile Arctica fridge/freezer PTS25LHR . I expect to have replacement parts. However, I also expect companies to have answers as to why things happen that cannot be fixed when we as consumers spend tons of money on these appliances.

Freezer would stop working. They replaced MB 2x's and still temperature goes as high as 17 degrees at least once a day. When technicians can't even figure out the problem, would GE want to step in? Then again, if they don't even pay their taxes how can we as consumers expect to be served?

Original review: May 12, 2011

In June 2010, we renovated our kitchen. At that time, we bought all new GE Profile Appliances comprising a Stainless Microwave, 2 full size stainless convection ovens, a side by side refrigerator, a stainless dishwasher, and a stainless compactor. From the beginning we had problems.

Oven: Our kitchen designer cut out the space for the ovens, using the dimensions for that model on the GE website. When installers came, they found that the product did not conform to the website dimensions. GE disclaimed responsibility. i spent another $3,000 redesigning and modifying the cabinets. Additionally, our 2010 Profile ovens do not fully clean on a 5 hour cleaning cycle. Debris does not fully disintegrate but leaves a baked on residue which cannot be removed easily.

Microwave: Our stainless microwave forms and retains condensation between the glass panes of the door. Sometimes, the condensation remains for days before it dissipates. GE Authorized Repair insists that this is a common occurrence with microwaves. Furthermore, they insist that microwaves do not emit particles (rather wave energy), and therefore, (contrary to Wikipedia and other online sources) do not constitute "radiation" and are not dangerous. GE promised to replace the microwave but has consistently refused to do so. The have replaced the door but the problem persists.

Refrigerator: The doors on this profile side by side contain a vapor lock and the refrigerator forms a vacuum when the door closes. This requires a great amount of force to open the refrigerator and freezer doors. Sometimes, one must use 2 hands. For handicap persons such as my wife, who only has the use of one hand, this presents a serious dilemma. Other GE refrigerators, not of the Profile line, have small adhesive patches to mount on the door seals so as to lessen the vacuum pressure. However, GE discourages using these for its 2010 Profile series because it will void the warranty.

Refrigerator water dispenser: Unlike older Profile models which we have owned, our 2010 profile side by side refrigerator water dispenser contained a redesigned valve which severely restricted water flow. It now takes 40 seconds to fill an 8 oz. glass versus 10 seconds in the older models. GE service is aware of the problem but cannot fix it.

Dishwasher Rinse Aid Dispenser: For some reason, our rinse aid dispenser doesn't work properly. GE Authorized Repair advised buying an after-market attachment that fixes the problem.

Compactor: Apparently, our 2010 model has only side screw guides to attach to other appliances. Other products have guides that allow it to be screwed into the wood base of the countertop. Accordingly, the compactor is constantly misaligned as a result of the compactor vibration.

Over Range Vent Duct: The duct that attaches to our vent has 3 dents in it that look like a design flaw. Apparently intended to lock duct extensions in place, they were mounted on the front in full sight a opposed to the sides where they would not be visible.

5 Burner Induction Range: It arrived from the factory with a scratch in the glass top. For almost a year now, GE has claimed the fault lies with the installer/retailer (Spencer's Appliances) and the installer/retailer has advised that the fault lies with GE. Meanwhile, the consumer has been caught in the middle. Until this last experience, I have been a fan of the GE Profile line. GE's motto is "imagination at work". Instead, it appears its engineers and designers are not imagining, but rather daydreaming without any grounding in practical reality.

GE Refrigerators Company Information