Find a Refrigerators partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About GE Refrigerators

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2011

I have a 3-year old GE profile fridge. Double doors on top and freezer on bottom. It stopped cooling about 4 months ago. I paid $500+ to have the computer replaced, etc. It's not working again. I will not buy a GE appliance again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2011

I purchased a GE French Door Refrigerator and a GE Ceramic Top Stove on July 9, 2011. The refrigerator made loud clicking and whirring noises so I read the troubleshooting info that came with it and it said some noises are to be expected while it is new. So I left on a trip up north from July 16 to September 1. When I came back, the noises were as loud as ever so I called Home Depot, they gave me the GE service number, and I called that number. The first customer service person was obliging and scheduled a technician to come to my home the following week. A few hours later a very officious (and not too bright) person called from customer service and said the noises were simply the compressor keeping my refrigerator up and running properly, and there was nothing a technician could do so the appointment was being cancelled. When I asked her a simple question about whether it could be caused by the ice maker not being disconnected properly, she obviously had no idea what I was talking about.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2011

The freezer seems to stay in defrost, causing water to drip from the ice bin and products to get soft.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2011

I purchased a GE Profile Series Stainless Steel Side-By-Side Refrigerator/Freezer for $2,500 in October 2007. It's almost 4 yrs old (new). I expected to get a useful life of at least 12-15 years.

We have had repairmen out twice, most recently, about 6 months ago (February 2011). We have had the circuit board replaced on the visit six months ago and the first repairman admitted this circuit board is a known problem. Yesterday (September 20, 2011), the temperature in the refrigerator inexplicably went up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit and spoiled about $200 worth of groceries.

There seems to be a problem with the switch that turns out the fridge lights when the door is closed (it's also supposed to turn the cooling fan on at the same time). This switch is defective, so the lights stay on and the cooling fan stays off. This causes the refrigerator to turn into an oven.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

We purchased a kitchen full of GE Monogram appliances 5 years ago (Washer, Dryer, Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Ice Machine, Microwave, Cooktop, Downdraft Vent, and Double Oven). Every appliance have been serviced at least twice. The downdraft vent still doesn't retract properly. The dishwasher was recalled as well. The ovens still do not heat consistently. I just replaced the dishwasher because I gave up in just having the one I have repaired. I also replaced the ice machine one month ago. It just stopped making ice. I already eliminated the drain pump after 2 replacements and still it didn't work. I even discovered that the GE Monogram Ice Maker is the same as the Kenmore model, only with a different handle and nameplate. The stainless refrigerator door got a small dent. Neither the door skin, nor the door itself can be replaced. I need an entire new refrigerator if I want to get rid of a small dent. The 2 knobs on cooktop do not work, as well.

I gave up. They wore me down. I'm replacing all GE Monogram appliances one by one. Never again will I purchase GE products. You do not get what you pay for!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2011

My wife and I give it no stars! Our GE Profile refrigerator model number PFSS5PJXCSS with serial number DS302777 is two years old and everything is falling apart in it. I mean everything. Now the water dispenser is broken. We have had a repair man here at least 7 times and could have had him/her more but we are just giving up. We spent $2500.00 on this and believe me this was a big purchase for us.

I no longer want it but that would be throwing $2500.00 away. Please help.

John and Joni **

Original review: Sept. 17, 2011

We purchased a GE refrigerator in October 2007 with model number PSF23MGWA. (Profile side-by-side). It stopped working in June 2011(doesn't hold temperature).

We called GE service. First technician changed the motherboard. However, refrigerator still didn't work. Next technician changed the sensor and said we should replace the fan so he ordered it. The refrigerator still didn't work. Third technicians reinstall sensor explaining that sensor was not installed correctly and didn't replace the fan. The refrigerator worked for two months, maybe less, and failed with the same symptoms.

So we called GE service again. We waited for technician for one week. Again, they changed the board (second time). However, the refrigerator still doesn't work. So when we called back and said that the refrigerator still doesn't work, they scheduled a next appointment again in one week.

I think it is not professional to build such a bad product. Also, it seems that technicians are not competent and unable to identify the problem and fix it.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2011

In March 20017, I purchased a bottom freezer model refrigerator (GDS20KCSKABB). Last year, we haven't been able to keep ice-cream in the freezer, as the freezer would not consistently stay cold enough and cause the food to thaw.

It's now Sept 2011, the fridge quits completely and we have been without a fridge for 3 days. I called customer service and they told me that my fridge didn't fall within the range of defective mother board recall program.

I don't understand why they didn't send one out to me, as a courtesy the fridge is only 4 years and its obvious my fridge was affected by the bad batch of mother boards, as many other customers had. The only thing they could offer me is a discount on a new motherboard for 90$ with no warranty. Wow!

I decided to go through a company based out in Texas, who will warranty the part for 2 years and give me back 40 bucks for sending them my defective motherboard, so my cost is 80$ after returning the mother board. I believe the company name is FixYourBoard.

Why haven't we all started a class action, against this company and get some of that stimulus money they got. It's sad that they get assistance only to screw more consumers with their low quality and unreliable products, so sad. I will never buy GE ever again. Please pass the word along. The refrigerator cost me over $1000.

I've been without a fridge for a week now and I have to pay for a part to replace on the fridge, only after 4 years of use. My neighbor has a fridge that's 12 years old with no problems at all. Wow! Why are we going backwards, you would hang with the newer technology, we would be getting better quality products. Shame on you GE, you don't get what you pay for after all, huh?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2011

I purchased a GE Model PTC22MFMRCC refrigerator. Four times, the drain has backed up causing costly repairs, not including the cost of frozen food replacements. I have been informed that this is a known problem. In other models with this problem, you are able to obtain heater kits. My model has been discontinued and no fix to this design is available.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2011

I have a refrigerator that has been down since 7/19/11. They keep claiming that it needs parts, and they send a guy out. I take off from work and wait for 4 hours. He comes and looks at the fridge and orders more parts. Parts always seem to be back ordered. I have two kids and still no refrigerator.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2011

My GE Monogram Refrigerator froze up on August 1, 2011. Service man was called and part (control panel) was ordered. It came in flawed August 6. I'm still waiting for the part. On Sept. 9, The Monogram Customer Service provider told me that at least 200 other customers were waiting for the part which was previously manufactured in Japan. Because of the earthquake there, the factory could not provide the part. GE is trying to get someone else to make the part. They are offering a discount of $2500 on the $9000 replacement part for the Monogram side-by-side that I have.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2011

My mother-in-law purchased a GE refrigerator for me as a house warming gift in 2007. The cost of the fridge was around $2,300. We bought $123.00 worth of groceries and within one week of purchase the fridge temperature control had a malfunction and did not work. This happened when temperature was at 100 degrees, so we had no ice, etc. and had to use an ice chest. We were out of $123.00 in groceries. It was a total loss.

Sears replaced the fridge one week later but we still experience temperature gauge malfunction and it resets on its own. The fridge either freezes everything on both sides (freezer/fridge or does not keep anything cold. It varies from day to day. We are very upset about this because when we contacted the dealer repair service, they informed us that either they will send someone out to my home to take a look at it, which will cost me $150, or we can try several remedies. Well, none of that worked, and we are back to square one with a faulty fridge.

The companies these days have no morals and could care less about their products liability and safety for the consumer. The government needs to impose a penalty and make them pay a fine for each complaint received. These companies are getting rich off of the people by selling faulty appliances. GE can no longer stand up to the others and will never gain their respect back until they start owning up to their faulty products. This means one thing; bring those jobs back to the U.S. When appliances were made in the U.S., they outlasted the consumer. By the way, my mother in-law bought a GE fridge 40 years ago and it still works because it was made in the U.S. That is why these companies try to sell those warranties, because they know their products are faulty.

I am ashamed of the companies that hire overseas workers because most of them are slaves and under age. That's a crime in the U.S. but not in those countries of dictators. It should be punishable by imprisonment here in the U.S. Those CEO's and COO's of these companies are the real criminals. Lock them up.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2011

I called this company four times this year to fix my refrigerator for the same problem; it does not get cold. I called this year and also last year for the same complaint.

Even though I have insurance, they do not want to replace it. I want them to, but they claim that even if they come 10 times to fix that same issue, it is fixable.

I feel that I do not want people in my house every three months fixing my refrigerator, for the same reason. I want it replaced and that is why I pay insurance.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2011

I have a side by side GE refrigerator model GSS25SGRE with a dangerous design flaw. The plastic auger in the ice maker breaks, and shards of plastic are dispensed with the ice.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2011

I purchased a GE profile refrigerator in March 2011, serial no TT571112, model PFSS9PKYASS (Case No. **). I did not take delivery until the end of July and it was never working properly. It kept things warm but not cold. I contacted GE service department on 8/24/11 and they gave me an appliance center called Able and Ready repair from Yonkers. The tech came in and reset a button, the refrigerator worked for half a day. When it was working, I again refilled my refrigerator with 200.00 worth of food and it had to be thrown out.

I called them again over the weekend, which a hurricane hit us, and had to be without food for two days. I live in New York and was hit hard with the hurricane. I did not lose power but did not have a refrigerator that worked. I then called that Monday, 8/30/11 and said they would send a man out here between 5 and 8:00PM. The tech called at 6:30PM and said he could not come. Now, I called GE Consumer Relations and told Melissa what has happened. Melissa sent a tech out to me, after my husband was so angry.

He was on the phone with the techs from GE and told me that it was not fixable, but told them it was fixable because it needed a new board. I emailed Melissa on 8/3011 and told her in my email that I am disgusted and have been without food in my house for three weeks now. Two men came to my house and could not fix this problem. I think I have suffered enough and I asked her through an email if I could have a new refrigerator. I do not feel that I should have to be inconvenienced with a new product that never worked. She now says she is sending me another repairman tomorrow to try and fix this.

I have emailed her again this morning and she is not answering me. I tried to call her with her extension and she has a voice mail saying she would get back to me in 48 hours. Are you kidding me? I have all GE products in my house and never had this problem. I am asking now for a new refrigerator. I have thrown out over 400.00 worth of food and put in two claims and only getting reimbursed for 200.00 back? I cannot afford to keep doing this. I need a new refrigerator. I am afraid that this repairman will fix this problem, fill up my refrigerator and then hold my breath until it goes off again, and then more food loss. I cannot have this. Before I go to the TV with this problem, I am asking that you give me a new refrigerator. I have been inconvenienced long enough.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2011

I purchased a 36" stand alone GE Monogram refrigerator and a 36" stand alone freezer when we remodeled our house about eight years ago. There has not been a year that gone by without GE coming to the house because of issues with either the fridge, freezer or both. Now, the back of the freezer is turning to a block of ice and the dripping water lays on the bottom of the freezer. It then freezes up so I cannot open the two bottom drawers. The freezer is no longer under warranty so if I want it fixed, I have to pay, which I wouldn't mind if they can actually fix it. Believe me, this is not the first time that this has happened. The only thing GE would offer me is a 20% discount on a new one. No, thank you. I spent almost $10,000 on these two units combined and if I haven't spent the money, these things would be in the garbage. I would never, ever buy a GE appliance again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2011

I purchased a refrigerator on December 2007 with model number PSW23RSWCSS and serial number VM4209. I have had the ice maker replaced on March 2008, September 2009 and again today. I have service coming out because the ice maker is not working. I do not think that customers should have to pay for service calls/parts on repeated defective parts. Please advise.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2011

I purchased a GE Profile refrigerator and a service agreement. The technician has been out to repair the same problem of the freezer icing up, leaking water all throughout the freezer and ice-maker not working multiple times. Now, they say that my service agreement has expired so they will not continue to solve the problem.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2011

My GE Profile refrigerator which I purchased in December of 2008 has a defective ice maker. It has never really worked well and now the Sears repairman wants $500 to fix it. This refrigerator was $2700 and it should last me for years. I can buy a lot of bags of ice for $500.

It's a classic rip off and won't let me choose no stars.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2011

We purchased a GE profile fridge from Leon's in 2005 and apparently, it has a faulty part which is the mother board. Anyway, we've had to fix it three times. It stopped working yesterday and we're going to trash it and never buy a GE product again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2011

GE Profile Side by Side Refrigerator is a feature rich refrigerator when it works. Our seven-year old one stopped working early July. The repair company replaced the mother board. It failed again in two weeks. The folks replaced the thermostat and heating element. It worked again for two weeks. Now it failed with the same symptoms: defrost cycle runs forever. I feel bad for the repair company. I see a lot of complaints about this type of GE fridges. Why does GE not care about the reliability of its products on its customers?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2011

I called in about my refrigerator; every time I leave the ice maker on, I have icicles that form in my freezer and that everything defrost in the freezer. My water line is frozen so I cannot get water and anything in the second to bottom drawer of the ref freezes. I turned off my ice maker so I don't get icicles but water line still freezes. I called GE but they only want to give me 50% from labor and parts.

Everyone who has this refrigerator has the same problem. My best friend has also the same problem. She called twice and the third time she called they sent someone out and replaced the part for free. I cannot get them to even call me back when I am told that they will. I called them again and they said that each case is different and it depends on how many times each person has a repairman come out which is a lie because she has never paid or had a repairman to come out. Then they said it depends on the case manager you get. If you are lucky to get a good case manager you might not have to pay.

Why would they do one person free of charge and not the other person with the same problem. I even gave them her case number and still they won't do anything for me but a 50% off.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2011

I purchased four appliances from GE. I am having problem with my range; I cannot cook and have something in the oven at the same time. I was told by your repair people that I have to lock and unlock. I was cooking and my oven was turned on. I left the house for at least five hours and the oven was on the whole time.

I would like to inform GE that I made you aware of the problem and your repair people are not helpful. I could have fire in the house because of your range. I would like you to be aware of the problem and it will be your responsibility.

Two repairmen came to my house on August 17th 2011 and sat in the car in front of the house for at least half an hour. They came to my house and told me that this is the way the products are build. I cannot put anything in the upper shelf of the refrigerator and I have been told that I block the vent and that's why my food turn into ice. I have called more than once but the problem is still there and the repairmen keep on coming.

I am not happy with the product and I would like you to be aware if in case of fire, the responsibility is yours. I thank you in advance .

Original review: Aug. 16, 2011

On October 19, 2006, I purchased a GE Profile French Door, 22.2 CF refrigerator with model#PFS221SBSS for $1,899.90. No cheap investment. I thought this would last me a long time!

My problems began in May of 2008, only about 1 1/2 years after purchase. The outside of the refrigerator became so hot I could not touch it and leave my hand in place. Also, the temperature settings were fluctuating wildly. I called the extended warranty company dealing with GE appliances. They had to replace the circuit board.

In April of 2011, the same problem returned, along with the door clips that had broken off. I called for repair. A second circuit board was installed, along with new gaskets and door clips.

On August 9, 2011, I called the repair service again because the temperature settings were not holding. The temperatures were fluctuating in a wide range. I know that some fluctuation is normal to allow for defrosting. But these temperatures were staying for hours at highs and lows. For example, I keep the freezer at 0 degrees and the refrigerated compartment at 37 degrees. The temperatures will go to -2 below 0 in the freezer and 39-40 degrees in the refrigerated compartment, and stay there for over six or eight hours. Then one day, the temperatures will be normal and only fluctuate one degree, up and down. This is not normal. The temperatures should not be constantly fluctuating like that. It is not constantly defrosting!

During the repair visit in August 2011, the technician ran tests and said he could not find anything wrong. He did replace a P.T.C. and OLP ASM part, hoping it would help. It did not.

On August 8, 2011, I sent a letter to the GE CEO, Mr. Jeffrey Immelt in Fairfield, Connecticut. Surprisingly, on August 12, 2011, I received a phone call from a Mr. Bill **, GE from Kentucky. In just four days, my letter was pushed from the CEO's office in Connecticut to a customer service person in Kentucky.

I was not at home, but I did get to talk with Mr. ** on August 16, 2011. He more or less, and in a polite customer service way, told me the fluctuations are normal and to deal with the extended warranty company. In other words, and in my eyes, GE is not standing behind its product. He said he knew someone at the warranty company (Federal Warranty Service Corp., PO Box 105689, Atlanta, GA 30348, 1-800-432-2737) and would have them call me. As I explained to Mr. **, they could not find anything after running their diagnostic tests. What more can they do!? Again, he told me there is nothing wrong with the temperature fluctuations and he would have the extended warranty company call me. End of conversation.

My concern now is what do I do if I need yet another board replaced? That will be well over $250 out of my pocket when the warranty expires. For now, I have to live with fluctuating temperatures that will probably lead to another circuit board.

I am not the only person with this complaint! What does it take for GE to own up to the fact there are bad appliances out there and the people who trusted in their name are being slapped in the face and ignored. As long as I live, I will never buy another GE appliance--nothing with the GE name on it. I worry that I may have to buy another refrigerator. This one is almost five years old. I should not have to be worried about something like this. In this economy, I do not know if I can afford another major appliance.

At this time, I do not want a lawyer to step in. If the problems mount into costly repairs, I am sure I will change my mind! It is time that these companies start taking responsibility for their products and be loyal to their customers.

There are many complaints regarding GE and this refrigerator on the Internet. I could not find any recalls addressing the problem. I also could not find anyone saying GE resolved the problem. I just wanted to file this complaint so other consumers, as well as Consumer Affairs, will know about General Electric and how they do not stand behind their products.

For now, I will continue to use the extended warranty until it expires. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2011

My parents purchased a new built-in refrigerator (GE Monogram) and it has been leaking water on their hardwood floors for 3 weeks. 3 different service technicians were called to fix the problem and all 3 did not have a solution.

The first technician applied tape to try and stop the condensation that was creating the leak. The second wrapped foam paper around the condenser to "warm up" the refrigerator. The third said there was nothing he could do because of the humidity in the air. Apparently, my parents live in an area that makes this brand new unit "sweat" and therefore there was no fix for this problem.

When we asked for a refund, after all this time, they refused because they are not responsible for the acts of "mother nature". I asked what we are supposed to do with a leaking refrigerator, and the response I got was just to deal with it. When I asked them who was going to pay for the wood damage on the floor, they said that they would pay for that.

So, they will pay for damage, but not do a return?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2011

I had my GE Monogram refrigerator stop running. GE had one technician come and replace 2 parts.

The refrigerator worked for 6-7 hours then stopped working again. GE sent out another technician who did not do anything but complain that he was already off and was working overtime. And said there was nothing he could do. GE sent out a 3rd technician who cut wires, removed the thermostat and did not replace it and then said that the refrigerator was not able to be fixed.

GE then said that since it was not able to be fixed, they would sell me a new one for $4,000. I asked GE if they would send out a supervisor for a second opinion and they refused to send out anyone ever again.

I then called a local company and the technician worked on my refrigerator for 3 hours and fixed all the bad connections that were done by the GE technicians. And now, my refrigerator has been working fine for the past 10 days.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2011

I purchased a new Double Wide in July 2004 which came with all new GE appliances. I have had to replace the defrost heater in my GE side-by-side refrigerator/freezer model #GSS20IEPCWW three times already and it has gone out again. The first time was in September of 2006 and when I contacted GE, then I was told that the part wasn't covered under warranty. After I had it replaced the third time, I contacted GE to see if there was any type of recall or something I could do since the same part had messed up 3 times already and was told that since my refrigerator's warranty was expired, they could send out a repairman to check it out but it would all be at my expense. Aside from the costly repair bills every time it messes up, I lose a few hundred dollars that I had spent on the food in it. After researching online, I have realized that defrost problems are very common in GE refrigerator/freezers. Is there something purchasers could do about this?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2011

We bought a refrigerator in 5/06 from Berger Hardware in Hawthorne, NY. We have had so many problems with it. In fact, we could build a new fridge with all the spare parts we have. Each time something goes wrong, my husband has to take time off work (it's a wonder he hasn't been fired). I'm so fed up with this piece of garbage! I have called and asked for a new fridge but no way! We have an extended warranty and we have to keep calling them about numerous problems. The plastic, "everything" breaks constantly. I have thrown about so much food. I couldn't begin to tell you the problems (top to bottom, refrigerator and freezer)!! We are extremely mad and will never buy a GE again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2011

I bought a GE Profile Arctica refrigerator from Sears about five years ago and had nothing but problems with the motherboard.

I just wanted to say I would never buy another GE product again

Original review: Aug. 11, 2011

My husband and I purchased a side-by-side refrigerator four years ago. On the first year, the freezer went out on it. Now this thing is making a howling noise

that is driving me crazy. It is so loud that I can not even sleep and it runs for hours.

I am so tired from not getting sleep that I feel like taking a bat and just smashing it till it's in bits and pieces.

We will never buy another GE product again, especially a refrigerator.

And you know the worst thing about this is that I was warned about GE refrigerators. When we first started looking, my stepmother told me that her and my dad have a GE and she told me that it was the noisiest thing. But I did not listen. I thought how noisy could a refrigerator be? To my surprise, a lot!

We are very disappointed with this purchase!

GE Refrigerators Company Information