2. Homeowners

GE Refrigerators

GE Refrigerators
Shop on Appliances Connection
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: June 7, 2020

Rear drain tube freezes up. New drain tube in different configurations. Fixes problem. Motor fan for crisper drawers had to be replaced. GE dishwasher broke last night. Bracket that holds upper spray unit is spot welded making repair very difficult. GE cooktop stopped working and had to be removed for 10 days before repair was facilitated. Will replace with another manufacturer.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I bought a brand new refrigerator and it doesn't work. Since I was in the process of moving and didn't plug in for a week and half store will not take back and GE will not issue a NEW refrigerator. Ge wants to put parts on a brand new refrigerator. If I wanted something I had to work on I would have bought a used one. Customer service is RIDICULOUS. Save yourself time and money and DO NOT BUY GE PRODUCTS.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Anyone else have this problem with a GE Refrigerator... Only 18 months after purchase, one morning we noticed a crack all the way around the water dispenser on the face of the refrigerator door, newer model French doors freezer on the bottom.

Original review: April 24, 2020

We have a GE refrigerator which has bottom freezer and split upper refrigerator doors. It has leaked for years and we had it fixed in Aug of 2019. It is caused by a known design flaw, which the first repair person acknowledged. It was fixed for $400. The work was guaranteed for 30 days and it shortly started leaking again. Service came out, acknowledged same problem, unclogged the pipe which will soon reclog and charged $242. They did not replace the defective parts, which they did the first time. It is not very old. GE product is bad. Service is worse and expensive. We will be replacing a fairly new refrigerator, but not with a GE product.

Original review: March 24, 2020

My side by side refrigerator water did not work. I wrote company and got runaround from could be not full enough to kids slamming door and making insulation fall. The problem is insulation is not thick enough for it and several other people have complained about same problem. They offered me discounts on new fridge or replacement door. I feel problem is theirs and I should not have to pay for something that is factory problem. I’m will never never buy another GE product.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Moved into our 10 yr old home 3 months ago. Two weeks ago we noticed a pool of water on the floor in front of our GE Profile French Door refrig/freezer. After emptying out the refrig and pulling the inside back panel, the defrost line below the coil was discovered froze up - so I quickly hit it with a hair dryer to thaw it out so we could put food back in and call for service. When I first talked with the GE service tech, he immediately knew what the problem was and ordered the part - without ever being here. Obviously these French door refrig’s have a reputation for this problem.

When the service tech arrived we already had the refrig emptied & unplugged for 24 hrs as directed. The part that he was to install was not a replacement, but rather a part that was not in the original design - the part was nothing more than a metal rod that extended heat from the defrost heater strip down into the defrost drain tube. So the “fix” (which took about 5 minutes of his time) was to resolve a simple but serious design flaw that relied on water flowing thru a confined space subject to freezing temperatures.

After the service call when I contacted GE about the design flaw and requested consideration of refunding me for the $200 service call, they said sorry that it was not a design issue and that the 10 yr old refrig was out of warranty (I never claimed it to be warranty). Seems any time that a resulting “fix” is actually installing something that the factory did not install originally, and could have easily resulted in a slip-&-fall from water on the floor, would be a performance & SAFETY RECALL. Talking with the GE Case Manager’s Supervisor further supported GE’s policy of not caring about the consumer - only GE$’s. I can only imagine how many other consumers GE has done this too. Lesson learned: GE designs might get you thru their warranty period, but after that the consumer is fully responsible for THEIR design flaws. NO more GE for me and I fully support Consumer Affairs' low rating for GE appliances.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Not happy with any of my GE appliances. They made like garbage. I Had a brand new house built, paid extra for the GE appliance score my kitchen and every single one of them has broken down. The GE stove knobs all have cracked. The refrigerators had to be repaired 4 times in 2 years. Total trash.

Original review: March 19, 2020

We bought our GE refrigerator Model GFE28HGHBWW in February 2015 for over $2000 with an extended warranty. We bought the extended warranty this time because we had so many problems with our prior refrigerator which was a Samsung. Anyhow, when our GE fridge was delivered one of the top doors was chipped, so we had to have another door delivered and that took care of that issue. Less than two years after this purchase, we noticed that our food did not seem to be very cold and the refrigerator was making a loud humming noise so we called and arranged for the tech to come out. There was a problem with the fan and a temperature sensor. Also, a duct tower and and evaporator cover needed to be ordered. The tech needed to come back and install those, which was done within 3 weeks.

A year later in March of 2019, we had the same problem with food not staying cold, and we noticed some of our foods seemed to be quickly spoiling. I would buy sour cream or half and half and by the time I opened it, well within the expiration dates, it would have curdled. Our fridge also started making a very loud humming noise that lasted 2-3 minutes, three or four times a week at random times throughout the day. Again, went through the system and arranged for the tech to come out. When he came out, some of the same parts as last time needed to be ordered. So, he had to come back in 2 weeks when we received the parts.

A year later, February 2020, same issue with the noise and food not staying cold. Called and just had service again. Parts had to be ordered at the first visit, and when received a week later, the service tech came out to install. The service techs have been very helpful and seem to know what they're doing. However, I think there is a major flaw in the design of this fridge's inner workings. We are now out of the extended warranty time and guess what! Our fridge has started to make a humming noise again and food does not seem as cold. I am very disappointed in the quality of this refrigerator. I am also disappointed in the company. I would like to think that the company's managers would have a system in place to note when a customer has recurrent problems with their appliances and to reach out to that customer who has invested in their products.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Love the color Slate. Love my new Profile bottom freezer fridge but its got a knocking sound every time the fridge starts up and shuts off. What the bleep... You'd think that a brand name Company would get better with the times... I just bought a GE washer not too fancy, ohh my gosh it's noisy. You'd swear there was a plane in the house, but works well to date. For the amount of money we pay it's quite disappointing. The salesman says for the fridge it's part of the starting up process when the gas goes thru the cooling stage and that this was the same??? On the other hand I got the gas Stove and no problems so far... The service is good at the store. The owners are very nice...

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

GE Freezer Bottom Refrigerator Item# GDE 21EMKES. The refrigerator works great. Ice maker only lasts about 6 months. We have been told it is due to too much water pressure, bad parts and other reasons. Ice maker leaks and then there is a buildup of ice on bottom of tray.

GE Refrigerators Company Information