3.4/5 (1524 ratings)

About John Deere

John Deere Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I bought my John Deere last fall with a snow blower attachment and cab cover. That all worked pretty good for the winter weather. I got stuck a few times because of the deep snow and tight turning radius. But cutting the lawn this summer is wonderful. It has put my previous Craftsman rider to shame. Turns tight, it doesn't scalp, and is solid. It cost more but worth every penny!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

It's a great tractor for a small farm or large yard (1+ acres). It has a 60 inch mowing deck and bucket loader. We purchased a dozer/snow blade and a spreader. We will be adding a tiller and backhoe to the equipment list also. I mow 1.69 acres in 2 hours 24 minutes. It's my zen time. I put in my earbuds, tune up a playlist, and enjoy the mow! Equipment is hydraulically powered and easy to hook up and remove. Safety equipment includes a rollbar and seatbelt, headlights, red and yellow rear lights and a large triangle reflector.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Well engineered with thought process being focused on safety and function. Controls are easy to learn for well controlled operation, and have built in safety features. Engine is a real work horse providing plenty of power for some of the tallest grass and small seedlings. Changing blades is easy and they have several different styles for type of area to be mowed. Fuel economy is good, able to mow for several hours on the 2 gal tank. Most changeable items are easy to access, fuel/oil filters, oil drain access. I have owned several and will probably buy one again.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Purchased this John Deere 100 Series, LA135. riding mower over 12 years ago. I couldn't be happier with this purchase. I actually enjoy getting out on this mower and mowing. It's very simple to operate and extremely dependable. In 12 years I've only had to replace the battery once! I keep 1/2 acre of lawn plus another 1/2 acre of tall weeds mowed throughout the year. Other than general upkeep (oil changes, blade sharpening, air filter changes, lubrication) I've had virtually NO problems with this mower. Wish other mechanical products were made so well.

Original review: June 13, 2021

I bought a John Deere 1025R utility tractor with a mower and a loader attachment six years ago. I have read a few negative reviews and I want to set things straight. This machine is incredible! They told me in the beginning that the tractor holds its value and they weren't lying. I have been the only operator for 948 hours and I love this machine. I had owned two John Deere garden tractors prior so I knew I wouldn't be let down. If you do the yearly service maintenance you just can't go wrong. I mow in the spring, summer and fall and remove snow in the winter. I have completed so many projects and it just keeps on making me a happy owner. Six years and I only had to purchase 1 battery.

I actually cut down a 18"pine tree two years back and didn't plan well where it was going to fall. I had my bucket bracing the direction off the fall. The tree landed square on the tractor. Once it was cut off the machine there was not even 1 scratch. The seat leather is so tuff that it looks brand new after all this time. I polish it and it looks like a showroom display. I work it hard and it has never let me down. For those who purchase strictly by price, you may pay a little more for a J.D. but you will never regret it!

Lee

Montpelier, VT

Original review: May 10, 2022

The e100 John Deere was the first riding mower I purchased. I was very excited about the purchase and really wanted to like this mower. Unfortunately, after 4 years, I had to sell it and can't give it a great review. It's a fun ride, but I had a lot of problems with it. Among other issues, I had a lot of issues with it stalling, and not even just on tall grass. I called their customer support a few times over the years and never found them very helpful. Admittedly, I'm not very handy. If I was, I probably wouldn't have had as many problems with it and some of the issues were probably more my own fault than John Deere's, but if you are like me, I wouldn't recommend this mower.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Dena **. AG-PRO COMPANIES. John Deere 9200 NW 13 Street Gainesville FL 32653. On September 10, 2019 we purchased a John Deere E170 riding mower from AG-PRO, a John Deere dealer. At first, everything was fine. However, with just 85 hours on the hour meter, one of the blade spindles seized and its housing broke. Since the mower was still under warranty, we called the dealer on June 21, 2021 and spoke with Andria. She said we needed to bring the whole mower into the dealer and not just the broken parts. Because we have no way to transport the mower, they would charge us $152.60 to transport the mower to and from their shop. However, since they were very busy, it would be at least four weeks before they would be able to pick it up.

Although Andria said she would call me back to see what she could do, she didn't call back until after I called the John Deere company and spoke with Braden who gave me a case number. However, she still was not able to offer any help. So my 70+ husband with health conditions found a video on YouTube and was able to fix it himself. For $130.00 he bought 3 new spindles and installed them on the mower. When I asked if my case could be given to someone else, Braden was not at all sympathetic and just said no. When I asked for his supervisor he refused to even give me the name. On June 24, 2021 Andria said she would see what the company could do. She never called me back. We sent a letter to the CEO of John Deere, John May. Other than a form letter, I still haven’t heard back from the dealer, Ag-Pro, or the John Deere company. I would not recommend this company. Our next mower will not be a John Deere.

Original review: March 13, 2022

My folks bought an X350 riding mower in the spring of 202I, but I'm the one who uses it to cut their grass and I maintain it for them. I have never used such a poor quality mower in my life (I'm 56). Their previous JD was a P185 that lasted 30 years and still worked, but was long in the tooth. JD's quality is now non existent. The cut quality is pathetic, in part due to the fact the deck has the rigidity of tissue paper. I can literally remove the deck and carry it under one arm with ease....did I mention I'm 56!? They went to a two blade system from three, so it leaves long clippings that often need raking (same cutting frequency as before, so not a case of leaving grass to grow too long). The blades are no longer mounted with bearings, but instead use a cheaper greased shaft arrangement. You can't engage the blades with the brake depressed which is a problem if you're on a bit of a slope.... This compromises operator control.

The RIO switch must be depressed every time you engage reverse or the blades stop. This is easily defeated by shunting the connector, but then you don't have an RIO at all....should have an ignition position like Cub Cadet allowing temporary override. They use plastic idler pullies on the drive belt system....yes plastic. But, the trigger that started this review was my experience with the digital dash display. The display fogged up during operation making it impossible to read (I'll attach a couple pics), so it was sent back to the dealer for replacement. The new display is worse. This apparently is common. The dealer said they took a chance replacing the original because JD's policy is not to replace them until they literally form water droplets inside the display. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They charge a pretty penny I'm sure for this garbage feature that's impossible to read after a few minutes of use.

Fortunately, there's a dummy light for the fuel level. For decades mechanical indicators and dummy lights worked flawlessly...at less cost, but now we get this modern "high tech" garbage. Suffice it to say, the dealer won't replace it again until water droplets actually form under the glass. I'm a former Kubota owner and while I realize they can be more costly, you get superb quality. A few extra dollars for a product that's enjoyable to use, reliable, and long lasting is money well spent in my opinion.

If I was trying to stay in the JD price range, I would consider Cub Cadet (made by MTD) as a better option as I have used one of their larger mowers and was far more impressed. JD's 100 series riding mowers use a quick change oil system that leaves up to 30% of the old oil in the engine which basically makes these disposable mowers. This is the standard of quality JD has adopted. This is also the company that recently bragged about having the highest paid employees in the industry. No surprise there given the prices they charge for their products. Simply put.... STAY AWAY FROM JOHN DEERE! Good luck. Cheers. Note: The first pic is the replacement display (labelled New Display) and the second pic is JD's threshold for replacement (labelled JD Standard).

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I don't drive and own a tractor. I love their riding lawnmower, miss living out in the country, the good old days. Now, living in town is so different... I don't like it. Keep up the good work you guys, take care!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Large deck gets the job done. Mulching large field to lawn, John Deere riding lawnmowers are strong, durable and efficient. Never used the cup holders, but really appreciated adjusting the deck height for different lawn to field work. The headlights were always appreciated as late evening mowing happened a lot in the summer.

John Deere author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

John Deere Company Information