John Deere

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

LA 150 rusted top and bottom because John Deere did not prime the mower before painting it! This mower was garage kept and taken care of. I noticed the paint was lifting and found the whole mower was a rust bucket. I will never buy another John Deere! They probably saved $15.00.00 on primer! Junk!

I recently purchased this John Deere D110 42 in. 19 HP riding lawn mower as a recommendation from a friend. The first couple months have been no problem at all, but now 5 months after the purchase, I am regretting my decision. It started out with the steering going slightly left (which was manageable to deal with) but now the mower randomly stops. I have almost fallen off because it has stopped at full speeds, on hills, etc. My yard is about 1.5 acres, and I cannot mow it completely without it stopping at least once. It is not only annoying, it is very time consuming because it takes about 5 minutes before I can start it again. This machine has caused me more stress rather than speeding up my mowing. I now prefer to mow with my 10 year old push mower, because it takes less time! Overall, I cannot recommend this product to anyone based on my personal experience with it the last 5 months.

After 20 yrs of mowing my yard bought a new John Deere. It seems they have built their decks out of a thin gauge material. If you strike anything at all it will bend your deck and you must take it in for calibration. Never bent a deck in 20 yrs, bent 2 this year in 3 mowings. It is ridiculous that they have built the deck with such thin gauge material.

I purchased a Zero Turn, 42", Z335. I had it 26 days and after using it and taking a break, I got back on and tried to start it, NO START! I called the place of purchase and talked to service department and was told they been having problems with the auto choke on these units and to let the unit cool. It started after cool. I was told if it started after it cool, to call them the next day and they would arrange pickup. So place of purchase came to pick it up, one day after they told me they would to fix the auto choke. At this time they have had it two weeks three days. The mower had 3 hours on it when they picked it up. I have no mower at all. I will never purchase John Deere again. NEVER. Poor quality. I got the mower back on May 30. Now it backfires when I start it and backfires when I turn it off. Won't ever know if the not starting when warm is fixed or not for sure.

I purchased the John Deere L-119 riding mower back in 2005. The tractor has performed well except for the steering linkage. There is two linkage arms one for each front wheel. The connection is a small ball joint with no grease fittings. I have replaced each one at least four times. The dealer and customer service has no answers why this keeps coming apart and the only repair is to replace it. It started out at $32 each, now it cost almost $40. It takes an hour to replace it each time. The problem is I never know when it will break. Can be mowing the grass and all of a sudden one of the wheels turns and the mower skids to a stop. This also could be bad as the sudden stop has almost thrown me or my wife off the mower. John Deere should design their steering as to not have this problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Have John Deere 6420 tractor with 1200 hours. Radiator leaking. Took to be repaired. Cannot be repaired. Must buy new radiator on tractor with only 1200 hours. After calling John Deere to see about a price, because there was a problem with that type of radiator with other tractors, it has now been modified and you can not buy the same radiator. So in order to replace the radiator on this tractor I must change at all parts, hoses, clamps, thermostat in order to make the new radiator fit. Ridiculous! Radiator is 1100 dollars. John Deere is not quality!

I purchased from Lowe's a John Deere D105 riding lawn mower in 2014. I had a factory 2 year warranty and now the transmission has stop working. Is there a recall on these transmission because there is a problem with the design. It was difficult to get it into the proper gear when I purchased it and now the mower will not move. I was told that it is the transmission. 1gx.

Bought Z910 transmission at above place. Went back to buy hydraulic fluid for Z910. I was sold low viscosity. Put it in and have been using mower. Noticed that oil was low. Owner's manual said that I should only use Hy-Gard. Have a severe leak now. I asked about getting it repaired. First question asked after explaining the problem was, "Is it under warranty?" When I said no, I was told it would be five weeks to wait. What kind of service for a John Deere business is this? I may as well buy a new Toro, or anything else that "does not run like a Deere."

I purchased a D105 John Deere lawnmower on September 13, 2016 at a Home Depot in Fort Worth Texas and was encouraged to do so for the two year warranty. This was the end of the mowing season and I didn't have any issues with this mower. On April 13, 2017 I was attempting to mow my yard, 1.61 acres, and the mower would start then continue to die when I tried to engage the blades. I called Home Depot and they referred me to the John Deere dealer, Ag-Power which told me it would take two weeks to come and get this mower.

I would have delivered it myself but recently had stomach surgery and was unable to do so. Today, April 28, 2017 a representative from Ag-Power, out of Rhome Texas arrived to "fix" my new mower with only 17 hours on it. The guy walked up to the mower, tried to turn the key on and said it probably needs the valves adjusted without any further attempt to fix it. The guy also said it would probably be about three (3) weeks to get my mower back, due to manpower shortage back at the shop.

Now I am recently out of surgery and having to push mow 1.61 acres for a minimum of 5 weeks with a new John Deere mower with only 17 hours on it sitting in the repair shop. I was told my only alternative was to pay to have it fixed elsewhere, but this would VOID this wonderful two year warranty. I called the John Deere Service and Support department which was no help. He said that he would "note" my complaint, which to me means they're finished with me. Beware of the wonderful TWO year warranty.

Just got my 6 yr. old X300 mower back from repairs (Spyder Webb Co. in Ft. Smith, AR). $640 for starter, belt, blades and "worn" pulleys. My Murray didn't cost that much new and it lasted 14 yrs. Deere are not as reliable as they claim. I won't buy another.

I bought a John Deere X300 tractor over other makes for the reason every one said, JD was the best. I have owned it approximately 6 years. Over the first 100 hours I called to see if I should bring the tractor in to be checked out. The manager told me, "Anything wrong with it?" I said, "Nothing acting up," that I had changed the oil, new filter and greased it, etc.

He said "don't worry" then each time I would call at next 100 hours till it reached 440 hours had the same response each time I had complained of the cheap seat plastic cracking and tearing bad. After 5 years they gave me a new seat that I put on. Guess what. It cracked in about 3 month. This warranty was for 400 hours or 5 years, whatever came first.

Last year (summer time) we live in the North East Ohio and I bought it new at Moore Lawn and Mower, John Deere dealer, a small town dealer. Then it started not wanting to move. Right after getting worse I took it in. They had in the shop about 2 days fall now, said transmission had a small leak and it's not fixable, needed a new tranny at $800.00 for new one and $300.00 labor installing it.

I asked, "Is this normal problem?" They said no. Humm why me then. So I have a shot tractor now and they want 1/2 the cost of another new one to work mowing. But I don't trust John Deere now. If they would have said to bring it in as stated in handbook. Then this might have been fixable. By the way the factory has no way of adding oil once the seal leaks, hummm warning to buyer's of John Deere. Bought new 8/5/05 (fall), remember only used 447 hours, last used fall of 2016.

Two months ago I started working at purchasing a 590 Mule from a sales person Ty at Ag-Power, Tyler Texas. I added a roof windshield and a bumper and had all specs emailed to my banker along with the price agreed. I told my sales person Ty from the get go I just need to be kept in the loop on the process. Time passed and I made call after call to him only to find out a month into it the 590 had a recall on them. I understood, then another week passed no call, no apology, no offer to make it right, no returned phone calls, no satisfaction after every call. One more week put me over the edge on the customer service I was receiving. The last phone call I made was enough.

I am now a very happy customer and proud owner of a new 570 Polaris that the dealer went and picked up from another dealer and had all the extras I needed in stock at their store. This one phone call, pick up, delivery and accessories all put on and ranger bought and paid for in less than 12 HOURS. John Deere and sales person at Ag-Power Tyler Texas... Bam!!! That's HOW IT'S DONE!!!

Purchased 1023-4 tractor and kept it for eight months and logged about 30 hours using the front end loader which worked fairly well. Then needed to mow the lawn and after about 30 minutes of mowing the engine overheated. Checked the fluid levels and all were at the proper levels. Let it cool for a while and it overheated again, and repeated the process about 3 times more and each time it overheated. Took it back to the dealer and they wanted $80 to pick it up but I was able to drive it.

At the dealer they wanted me to pay for a diagnostic test when the tractor was still under warranty, and I refused to pay it. They then informed me that the problem was that the radiator was plugged with grass clippings and that there was nothing wrong with the engine, but they claimed there was an oil leak on the mower. How can the grass clippings get on the radiator when the mower is on the back of the tractor? I left the tractor at the dealership for a few days and then decided that the tractor might have not been a good investment with only 4 months of warranty left, so I wrote them a letter and informed the dealer that I was returning the tractor.

A $2000.00 down payment plus $1487.20 paid to John Deere is $116.24 per hour paid to use tractor. All attempts to get any of my money back were futile and I feel like I have been robbed. The serial number on the tractor is 1LV1023ELGG100902. So be aware because they are going to unloaded on another poor sucker like me.

Bought a John Deere D-110 riding lawn mower in July 2014 because my 11 year old Murray riding lawn mower, still working, was getting old age problems. The John Deere worked great until January 2017 when it started blowing dark smoke out of the engine. This was six months past the two years warranty. The John Deere has 71 hours on the meter and was serviced as required. I contacted the local John Deere service department and was informed that I needed a new engine. I could order one, $600 plus, and install it myself or have them to install one for $700 plus.

Should have kept my old Murray. I read reviews that the John Deere 100 series has had engine failures. Maybe this is why the John Deere 100 series mowers warranty is only for two years. Would a new engine last any longer? Maybe or maybe not. I don't think I'll chance it. My replacement riding mower won't be a John Deere and will have a 3 year factory warranty. My John Deere mower PIN number is 1GXD110EJEE520030.

In checking the reviews at the time John Deere seemed to have fewer deck problems than the rest so I went with it. I still own an L105 purchased around 2006 and this unit mows an acre and a half about twice a month. In ten years I have performed the oil changes and replaced the battery a few times. I took it to the shop once to have a more thorough service although was having no problems and they changed my belts, blades and one pulley. The only thing I do not like about this unit is the narrow 42 inch cut and it is slow.

I also own a 2010 D140 48 inch model. I mow about 1/3 acre at least once a week. I use the bagger about half the time. I have done the services myself and have had no other issues with maintenance. Original blades, belts, and pulleys. The only thing that I do not like about this one is that when I am turning no matter how slight it cuts at an angle. The bagger clogs a little too often if grass is damp or I get a small stick or debris. This unit is fast and great to ride? I never mind mowing. Sometimes regret not getting the zero turn though.

Neither unit is perfect but if I were rating just for dependability only I would have to give both five stars. I looked at some of the reviews and wonder what they are doing. Both of mine are driven by adults and serviced at regular intervals by myself. I use John Deere oil and parts on both units and they are washed little but kept out of the rain.

Horrible company to deal with. Originally I thought that they are helpful. In fact they are NOT. I was looking for a position, which doesn't exist. No one knows nothing about??? Complete chaotic KOS with John Deere HR Department!!! Total ignorance!!! They run like mama's and papa's shop rather than any business! I never seen such CRAP before!!! If you need more info contact them with Mitch at their dealership in Ft. Pierce, FL : 772-461-5568 or Rose ** to contact direct them and find-out on your own. Good luck!

I don't know why you all are having so many problems with your John Deere LA125. Mine is 6 years old; never had a problem. You people must abuse your equipment. 1 more thing John Deere recommends 10w30. Don't use it; 5w30 synthetic Briggs recommend, Try it. It don't have to be Briggs brand; any brand and I cut half acre once a week steep hill to.

I purchased a new john deere 1023E on August 7, 2016 for $17922.50 with all the attachments. I used it for less than 3 hours and the machine malfunctioned causing damage to my property. Apparently an O rings malfunctioned and the dealer, Central Jersey Equipment says this is because of negligence on my part. I am not sure how they come up with that because I put approximately 3 hours on the machine. I contacted Central Jersey Equipment about this issue, which happened within 20 days of the purchase and they have done nothing.

I've contacted john deere directly and have had no luck dealing with them. They give me the runaround but no one ever calls me back. I spent over $17000.00 and I feel I was ripped off. I requested a new machine and something towards the repair of my property and to date have not received a callback from anyone from John Deere. The only thing they say is it is up to the dealer that sold me the tractor. I just wonder how they would feel if they spent their hard earned money and received this kind of service. NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!

Two months ago, I ordered a Gator and was given a 3 week expecting date of delivery and had to wait 6 weeks. Today I ordered filter sets for my tractors only to be notified that they were "Out of stock" and the order would be delayed. Is John Deere failing as one of our previously reliable companies??

I bought my John Deere Gator 825i XUV in Sept 2013 and paid over 15,000 dollars on it. By January 2015 it needed a new clutch, which they repaired and covered under warranty. I recently learned that in March 2015 John Deere released a bulletin called a "Fix had Failed" to dealerships stating. It stated that the previous repair recommended on the clutches has failed. The problem is they did not release it to the owners. Now my vehicle has a total of 60 hours on it and now the clutch is out again. That is 2 clutches in 60 hours on the vehicle.

John Deere is refusing to cover the repair - and that is the repair that they released in March 2015 that they knew was failing. They state my Gator is outside of warranty on time which it is - I agree - but it is the same problem they fixed before that they know has failed and it only has 60 hours on it - that is 20 hours a year I drive the Gator. 2 Clutches in 60 hours does not say much for John Deere Products - very disappointed.

I bought a D105 John Deere riding mower, my warranty expired last April. I was mowing along my cell rang. I turned off the mower to answer and that was it, stuck in gear, would not run. Finally got it started but stuck in gear would not move. I took it to a shop. They took it apart and found the plastic transmission was broke. He said it was not worth fixing, said it was going to cost over $700 and would only break again as it is plastic. I called John Deere customer service and was told I needed to take it to a John Deere dealer to have them tell me it was broke. And yes they would charge me to tell me it was broke. I paid around $2,000 at Home Depot for this mower. It has 53.5 hours on it. Now it is junk. I am very disappointed.

I own a John Deere X304 and have for about 6 years. The mower cuts terrible but that is another story. While cutting the lawn the other day the drive belt came off. I put the belt back on and it promptly came off again. I took the mower to Wilson equipment in Spartanburg SC and they put the belt back on and told me that there was nothing wrong with it (charge $70). I reluctantly took it home after getting no satisfactory answer from them. The belt promptly fell off. The dealer came and picked it up for me and apologized for the situation. He called me and said that they could find nothing wrong with the mower. I told him to call JD because a mower that would not keep a belt on was useless to me. He called back later and said that JD was aware of this problem and they had a fix. I was so excited, been pushing my yard for 2 weeks now.

Called me back today and said mower was ready the fixed worked and I owed him $330. Dealer won't help because I did not buy it there. The place I bought it from is out of business. I called JD customer service line and told her that I should not have to pay for a known problem. She said basically "sorry about your luck, we won't help." Horrible customer service. I know you don't care JD but you just lost a customer for life, and so far I have given you app. $7500 for mowers but not one more penny from me.

MR. JD... Some history for you... In 2013, myself Rick ** and Fred **, jointly purchased a NEW 2013 JD Gator RSX850i Trail UTV with numerous options for a purchase price of over $16,800. We made this purchase from Lakeland Equipment, Hall NY, Salesperson Curt **. Within a week or so, we got a notification that there was a recall to replace the Oil Filter, of which we went and picked up. At that time, a couple hours on the Gator we noted to the sales person, Curt **, that the machine seemed to shift hard. Hoping it would work its way in, JD "Lakeland" did nothing to investigate, adjust or repair.

This past week I took the Gator in for service for this same clutch/transmission issue and it was noted by Lakeland that a NEW clutch assembly and belt was needed... Gator has 134 miles and 44 actual run hours. Although it is out of Warranty, I had expected JD to acknowledge this issue that has been very prevalent on a number of Gators and cover or at least discount the service required. Invoice was $854+... With 44 hours, no obvious abuse, I expected that John Deere would step up to the plate and correct this installed design issue at NO CHARGE.

In addition, I, Rick ** also purchased a NEW X730 Signature Series Tractor for over $12,000 a couple months ago. This tractor just had its first recall to install an updated software issue to deal with the override backup switch/button. I delivered to Lakeland this past Saturday for the update, with no service delivery or travel to my home residence required. I was excited about the purchase of both of these machines, but now am very concerned if I can expect this lack of attention with this equipment I expected to be top of the industry and brag about. Not sure now. If John Deere, Moline, would step up and honor this known performance issues and reimburse my $854 I may be able again to talk up JD, service and quality. Let me know if you wish to win a customer or lose myself and others. Thank you.

I have a z425 and the transmission went out after 3 years. Bought a new one, paid 1400.00 to get it fix, and not even a month later the left side transmission went out. That's 900.00 for a new one. I think I got a lemon. It's no way both transmission should have went out like that. Beware from getting them from home depot. I am so disgusted with it. The price I paid for 2 transmission, I could have gotten a new riding mower. I don't know if the transmission can be repaired. They say no nut. Why do they sell parts for them? Mine stop going forward on each side. Home depot warranty is a joke.

I bought a new rider from Home Depot and after 3 weeks the local dealer delivered it with zero hours. My complaint is when I changed the oil after 8 hours of use it was black and looked like it had been ran a long time. I am questioning rather the dealer gave me a demo he had changed the hour meter and kept the new one. I would like to get the serial number of the mower they shipped.

We purchased a John Deere JS45A Mowmentum 5 years ago for $550.00. Within first 3 years, we have replaced bag, drive cable, handle attacher, and side chute. Today, the Baggage Chute Assembly shattered. It is a $175.00 part. It is plastic and screws!! The machine is nothing but plastic garbage. After talking with to John Deere Customer Relation Representatives today, they confirmed that they are unable to assist or stand behind their product. They are a big company name with zero customer care. John Deere product is junk and their customer support department is so so sad. Solution: We just bought a brand new Toro for 350.00. We kept our last Toro for 9 years, only changing oil and sharpening mower blades seasonally. It was a great machine. Wish I would have just kept it.

Delivered my new XUV 590i Gator 2 days ago. Swapped my new Gator 625I back in to the dealer that I only had for 3 weeks. The 625i lacked the light kits, power steering, and it was way too noisy. Dealer allowed me exactly what I had paid for the 625i. Tested the 590i and liked everything about it. Little smaller than the 625, power steering is great, helluva lot less noisy, goes 48 MPH, fancy wheels and tires, and has all of the deluxe turn/stop/tail lights.

I did read in another XUV 590i post that their 590i had a sort of growling noise upon deceleration when near a stop. This one does the same thing. Probably just a function of the drive train. Also noticed that the engine RPM's on this machine are quite high. Appears to run upwards of 5000 RPM on the road and in the upper 3000 RPM range around the property. Just seems a bit high... We love the flip-out windshield too. My only issue is the access to the engine and components. Really tight. Oil changes might be somewhat tough as you have to crawl under the machine to access the filter and drain plug. Fortunately I am not heavy so I do fit under it okay. Probably use ramps to raise it though. So far we are pleased with the unit. Will post another follow-up after we have used the 590i for a few weeks.

I bought a John Deere x 304 lawnmower from a John Deere dealer under the impression that it was built in the US. To my belief most of the parts are made in China. The pulleys on the drive are made of plastic. You can on replacing them after 50 hours at the cost around 70 dollars. What a surprise - just for the parts I should have a different brand for half the cost. I thought paying more money for a commercial mower would be built better. I guess the joke was on me. I would not recommend this mower for the price. Go to your local home improvement center and save your money.

Consumer Increased Rating!

John Deere paid for the fix after going to the better business bureau.

Jennifer of Milford, OH on

Original Review

I bought a D105 mower in May 2014 for my disabled mother and father. In May the warranty ran out. One month later and only 30 hours on the mower and the transmission broke. They said because dirt was inside of it. The Five Points John Deere service dealership in Hillsboro said they had four others with the same issue. Sounds like a manufacturing issue if dirt can get in there and break the transmission. I called John Deere and was told sorry we can't help you. It's out of warranty. I am completely dissatisfied with John Deere and will never buy one again. Will also spread the word on social media. John Deere needs to make this right. My case # is **. I bought a John Deere because I heard they were the best. This is not the case and the way the customer service supervisor spoke to me in unacceptable.

Bought a John Deere D105 mower from Home Depot. After just 31.4 hours the transmission stuck in reverse. Upon investigation I found that this was a well-known problem and took it to a John Deere dealer for service. I was advised that John Deere would not cover the repair because it was one month out of the warranty period. So, after spending over $1500.00 to purchase it I now have spent another $400.00 plus to fix a defective transmission that John Deere knew was a problem and continue to sell it. Poor product and poor customer service. I am done with John Deere.

Compare Riding Mower