3.77/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

John Deere Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2019

Good, mechanic on the agricultural farm, understand electrical and hydraulic systems, have 1a driver license, working with John Deere agricultural equipment and other types of technology, and other parts.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My third DEERE and you will have to pay me go to something else. They say that nothing runs like a DEERE and you can take that to the bank! 22 yrs and nothing but belts, plugs, oil and gas. Will be back to another when the time comes.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Hello... Like most of the homeowners here, I have been mowing lawns way before before I could legally drive motor vehicles...(legally is the keyword). The X350 John Deere lawn tractor is my subject and some comparisons to other brands I have owned and used. Over the 65 years of mowing I have experienced many types and brands. Way back when the "Hahn Eclipse" Briggs powered reel type mower was the best, through the push rotary era and now the riders (age induced). I have owned and used many brands and have always returned to the Deere line, with the X350 is my latest ride. Overall, the operation and quality has met and exceeded my expectations.

The non-Deere purchased parts used in assembling the unit are of top quality and can be easily serviced and all machines will need service. The driving, even though it is manual steering, is effortless and accurate... The foot operated deck raising feature is great as it allows the operator to raise the deck to save the hose you missed getting picked up or over the neighbor's lost golf ball. The quality of mowing the "48-in. Accel Deep™ Deck" does the best of any I have ever used. I have owned several Cub Cadets over the years because I thought they had the best decks, I know now the Deere "Accel Deep™ Decks do a much better job bar none. The Zero Turn craze hit me too. I purchased a new "Hustler Raptor SDX" (zero turns are GREAT MOWERS if that what you need) and realized that the zero turn units were not made for all lawns and operators. I could not ever get used to the operation and was able to sell relatively fast and went back to the Deere.

Overall, the Deere X350 has all the moderate sized lawn caretaker needs. It will last as it is one tough unit (better than any goat and does not require a pooper scooper). My life has given the opportunity to own and operate Simplicity, Cub Cadet, Zoro, Craftsman and many others and here I am, back with the Deere. Service any unit as it should and it will last you. One thing to remember, regardless of the brand, the unit is no better than the service that can be provided. All machines need it and it the unit is not working because of "LACK" of service. It is useless. Good mowing and be safe.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased my LT133 from a local dealer which is no longer here. I have never had a problem with the engine or the transmission. I have had this John Deere Lawn Tractor for more than 39 years. In the last 8-10 years I have had some problems most likely due to age. The deck still works but lost both guide wheels and the mulching unit is screwed up but it still cuts grass. Replace the starter motor, brakes, belts, and have had minor problems I fixed myself. I will only purchase a JD from a dealer and pay the extra to get a good machine not like the ones sold at Lowe's or Home Depot. I know if I have problems my dealer will take care of it. I see a lot of bad reviews but I contribute that to purchases made other than JD dealer and purchasing cheaper made models.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Several years ago I bought a 1994 JD LX178 lawn tractor. It got the Kawasaki 15 HP, twin piston, water cooled engine and a 38 inch deck. It's still running beautifully today (2018). I replaced the cheap plastic hood with a steel hood from a craftsman GT and recovered the seat in leather. In July of this year, I bought a 1998 JD445. Yes, it's 20 years old! I had to clean out the gas tank to get it to run properly and I replaced the seat. This is a wonderfully comfortable mower with all the hydraulics and differential lock, and power steering that I need in my old age. The 22 HP Kawasaki engine is fuel injected and being liquid cooled, I expect another 20 years from it. The 300 pound, 60 inch deck makes great time out in my fields.

My suggestion to buyers is this: Buy a garden tractor, not a lawn tractor... These are heavy duty machines that can handle light abuse. Look for bearings (not sleeves) in the wheels. Look for zerk fittings on the spindles and other wear points. Get a tractor that weighs 600 - 1000 lbs. Practice your haggling skills to buy right. Be prepared to travel to pick up the mower. Own a trailer! New is not necessarily better. You can spend a little over 2 thousand dollars and buy a machine that sold for over 10 thousand new and is worth fixing up. Buy a machine that has things wrong with it that you know how to fix. Happy hunting!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Until recently, I thought the name John Deere meant quality equipment and quality service. Having about 7 acres of land to mow, several spots require weed eating. In 2011, I visited the local John Deere dealership and expressed to them my need in purchasing something I could load up with my weed eater and drive the 7 acres instead of walking. They suggested the Gator. I happily purchase a brand new 620i John Deere Gator equipped with a Kawasaki 2 cylinder motor. I only used my Gator about once a week during the mowing season, so I had only accumulated 105 hours of use.

About 2 months ago, I noticed that it was missing badly. So, I called the local dealer and told them what it was doing, and they suggested I bring it in for inspection. I loaded it onto my trailer and hauled it in. About a week later, I called them to see if they had identified the problem. I was told that the 620i has a problem with short runs, which was known when I purchased it but I was not informed at the point of sale, and that the #2 cylinder did not have any compression. I was given two options, spend 3,600 for a rebuilt motor ow 3,800 for a new motor. I felt that John Deere should bare some of the cost since the problem with this model had not been disclosed to me when I purchased it.

After numerous visits and phone calls to the local dealership and receiving no satisfaction or solution to the problem, I contacted the John Deere home office. After numerous calls again, I was told by them that there was nothing they could do since the Gator was no longer under warranty. So prospective buyers, beware of the pitfalls of purchasing the John Deere Gator. I also have a John Deere tractor which I purchased 3 years ago and use very little. I just pray that I have no mechanical issues with it. This once John Deere enthusiast is now a John Deere skeptic.

Signed, Disappointed in Mississippi

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

E110 Riding Lawn Mower - Major issues for 4 mos old. I purchased this machine in May 2019. It's October. I have 6.7 hours on it. The other day, it wouldn't stay running, which is normal. I turned it off then on a few times and smoke from the engine went flying out for about 5 min! It's under warranty but I have to take it from West Point, UT, to Tremonton, UT. I'm a single gal. Not sure how I'm going to get it there. The problem is pretty big. For a new machine, it has oil seeping into the cylinder from the valves, which fills up the cylinder over a week's time causing a lot of smoke and running issues upon startup. Great hu? DO NOT BUY ONE.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I've been in supply chain management for decades and I can tell you that when you go to the dealership to buy replacement parts and all you get is poor quality aftermarket junk that fails soon after installation well, that says a lot about the corporate mindset. Ignition coils, starter solenoids starter relays are all junk in and out of the box. This company is nothing like what it use to be. Shipping your manufacturing overseas and not controlling the quality of your lower tier suppliers is a sure way to lose your customer base and you are losing this one. I have a 310 that I paid good money for but I'm starting to have regrets. Too bad, A really great American icon that is sacrificing quality for profit and riding on a name.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Bought a new JD D-155 Mower from Home Depot. It now has about 550 hours of use and started to be a headache after only 150 hours. The drive belt on the mower deck has fallen off 6 times. I check the oil level each time before using. The air filter, oil and spark plug have all been replaced at the beginning of each year (purchased in 2016). It is kept clean and hosed off after each cut. It is very hard to start when cold. The mower deck drive belt fell off, again, when I removed the deck I found that a bolt had sheered off after replacing it and refitting the deck the belt snapped again.

Being totally disgusted I brought it to my local JD Dealership and was just informed that the idler pulley and deck spindle need to be replaced! Together with an oil change, labor, belt and parts it will cost over $360.00. Keep in mind it has only 550 hours, has been well maintained and is being used on level land. My last JD Lawn Tractor lasted 15 years. I had hoped that this one would perform just as well. But I’m starting to think it won’t. I will never purchase a John Deere again. BEWARE...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My John Deere mower (bought at JD not Lowe’s) has a defective seat. I took pictures of the defect, sent them to the selling dealer and they agreed that the seat was defective and would be replaced under warranty. Here is the fun part, now I’m being told that rather than allowing me to remove and returning the defective covered part (a seat). I need to rent a trailer in order to transport this mower back to the selling dealer only to have them “diagnose” and replace the part. So the net is that I have to pay for a portion of this covered repair. This WILL be my last Deere!!!

John Deere expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

• Best for: Residential homeowners seeking a well-known brand with many product models.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs