2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

John Deere Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: May 3, 2020

Had a 165 that ran without fail for over 20 years, but dealer lied and said it would handle a snowblower. Yes if I drove it not if my wife and kids did, so I bought the X320. Deere said I was one day over their return it policy and if I wouldn't lose so much money I would have traded it in for any make.

1. Carb freezes in the winter using the snow blower. JD said by a $100.00 bra.
    2. Carb needed rebuilding with less than 300 hours. Kit is over 165.00 but includes bowl etc which are not needed.
    3. Lift assist spring broke in second year.
    4. Snow blower bearings only last one winter and $45.00 each. TSC are $14.00 ea. and going strong.
    5. Mower tension bar wore due to poor design JD redesign after 300 hours.
    6. Mower deck lock handle broke after 312 hours.
    7. No fuel gauge but I have lights, cup holder.
    8. Hydro does not hold unit in place.
    9. Snow blower chute cable siege under 100 hours on unit.
    10. Hydro uses pedals, can't free yourself by rocking when stuck.
    11. Seat torn in 5th season, design does not allow repair must replace $125.00. I bought a repairable one for 99.00 and made it fit.
    12. JD calls and uses an electricians plug sleeve as bearing.

btw. Dealer has not see mower since warranty expired; found manuals for free online.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I parked the John Deere in my garage, cut it off.. Got up to exit the John Deere, the deck handle went under my shorts throwing me down onto the floor... I ended up calling my neighbor as I could not move, he called the rescue squad of which I was taken to the hospital... I was told by the doctors that I had cracked my hip and it would have to be replaced.. And my finger was broken, and I got a cut a cross my right eye requiring 9 stitches... I was brushed up on my face, eyes, and the complete side of my face... IMG_4448.JPG. I’m trying to hire a lawyer now, I have still not recovered from the accident... I can barely walk, I walk with a cane, I’m constantly in pain.. The picture is just my picture I have. IMG_4448.JPG.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I bought this thing at the end of 2018 (start of our summer). It has now done a total of 35 hours. Right from the outset it continually blocked the chute. The catcher took forever to attach correctly. When I took it in for the first service, I mentioned these two items. The dealer said I was fitting the catcher incorrectly. I asked him to explain. Out of ten attempts, he manage to get it to fit twice. "We will have a look at that" - result? -no change. Re the blocking - "you need to run it at maximum revs and drive as slow as possible" - really? We are in the middle of a drought here and the thing still blocks on dry grass. HOPELESS MACHINE.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Went to crank my tractor to use. Tractor shorted out and burned a lot of electrical up. Now they are throwing parts at it and have told me it’s out of warranty. It has about 180 hrs on it. I bought it new. They have now idea how to fix it and have said the starter is what caused it all. They are experimenting at my expense. Who can pay 20k for a tractor and then pay to have it rebuilt for a problem that came from the factory. The name John Deere is not the quality it once stood for

Please please do your self a favor and stay away from John Deere anything.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Until recently, I thought the name John Deere meant quality equipment and quality service. Having about 7 acres of land to mow, several spots require weed eating. In 2011, I visited the local John Deere dealership and expressed to them my need in purchasing something I could load up with my weed eater and drive the 7 acres instead of walking. They suggested the Gator. I happily purchase a brand new 620i John Deere Gator equipped with a Kawasaki 2 cylinder motor. I only used my Gator about once a week during the mowing season, so I had only accumulated 105 hours of use.

About 2 months ago, I noticed that it was missing badly. So, I called the local dealer and told them what it was doing, and they suggested I bring it in for inspection. I loaded it onto my trailer and hauled it in. About a week later, I called them to see if they had identified the problem. I was told that the 620i has a problem with short runs, which was known when I purchased it but I was not informed at the point of sale, and that the #2 cylinder did not have any compression. I was given two options, spend 3,600 for a rebuilt motor ow 3,800 for a new motor. I felt that John Deere should bare some of the cost since the problem with this model had not been disclosed to me when I purchased it.

After numerous visits and phone calls to the local dealership and receiving no satisfaction or solution to the problem, I contacted the John Deere home office. After numerous calls again, I was told by them that there was nothing they could do since the Gator was no longer under warranty. So prospective buyers, beware of the pitfalls of purchasing the John Deere Gator. I also have a John Deere tractor which I purchased 3 years ago and use very little. I just pray that I have no mechanical issues with it. This once John Deere enthusiast is now a John Deere skeptic.

Signed, Disappointed in Mississippi

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

E110 Riding Lawn Mower - Major issues for 4 mos old. I purchased this machine in May 2019. It's October. I have 6.7 hours on it. The other day, it wouldn't stay running, which is normal. I turned it off then on a few times and smoke from the engine went flying out for about 5 min! It's under warranty but I have to take it from West Point, UT, to Tremonton, UT. I'm a single gal. Not sure how I'm going to get it there. The problem is pretty big. For a new machine, it has oil seeping into the cylinder from the valves, which fills up the cylinder over a week's time causing a lot of smoke and running issues upon startup. Great hu? DO NOT BUY ONE.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I've been in supply chain management for decades and I can tell you that when you go to the dealership to buy replacement parts and all you get is poor quality aftermarket junk that fails soon after installation well, that says a lot about the corporate mindset. Ignition coils, starter solenoids starter relays are all junk in and out of the box. This company is nothing like what it use to be. Shipping your manufacturing overseas and not controlling the quality of your lower tier suppliers is a sure way to lose your customer base and you are losing this one. I have a 310 that I paid good money for but I'm starting to have regrets. Too bad, A really great American icon that is sacrificing quality for profit and riding on a name.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Bought a new JD D-155 Mower from Home Depot. It now has about 550 hours of use and started to be a headache after only 150 hours. The drive belt on the mower deck has fallen off 6 times. I check the oil level each time before using. The air filter, oil and spark plug have all been replaced at the beginning of each year (purchased in 2016). It is kept clean and hosed off after each cut. It is very hard to start when cold. The mower deck drive belt fell off, again, when I removed the deck I found that a bolt had sheered off after replacing it and refitting the deck the belt snapped again.

Being totally disgusted I brought it to my local JD Dealership and was just informed that the idler pulley and deck spindle need to be replaced! Together with an oil change, labor, belt and parts it will cost over $360.00. Keep in mind it has only 550 hours, has been well maintained and is being used on level land. My last JD Lawn Tractor lasted 15 years. I had hoped that this one would perform just as well. But I’m starting to think it won’t. I will never purchase a John Deere again. BEWARE...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My John Deere mower (bought at JD not Lowe’s) has a defective seat. I took pictures of the defect, sent them to the selling dealer and they agreed that the seat was defective and would be replaced under warranty. Here is the fun part, now I’m being told that rather than allowing me to remove and returning the defective covered part (a seat). I need to rent a trailer in order to transport this mower back to the selling dealer only to have them “diagnose” and replace the part. So the net is that I have to pay for a portion of this covered repair. This WILL be my last Deere!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I bought a new E100 lawn mower in June of 2018. With only 28 hours on the mower, the engine locked up in July of 2019. I thought that it should be covered under warranty, however was told that the factory installed oil filter had loosened and allow the oil to escape. The manual stated that you should change the oil at 50 hours, but the filter should be changed at 8 hours. I have been dealing with equipment for 40 years and have never once had a factory installed oil filter loosen to the point of oil leaking. I am extremely disappointed that John Deere would sell something that had not be inspected and that they would not honor the claim. I will never buy another John Deere piece of equipment or recommend anyone to do so.

John Deere author review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team