John Deere

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Two months ago I started working at purchasing a 590 Mule from a sales person Ty at Ag-Power, Tyler Texas. I added a roof windshield and a bumper and had all specs emailed to my banker along with the price agreed. I told my sales person Ty from the get go I just need to be kept in the loop on the process. Time passed and I made call after call to him only to find out a month into it the 590 had a recall on them. I understood, then another week passed no call, no apology, no offer to make it right, no returned phone calls, no satisfaction after every call. One more week put me over the edge on the customer service I was receiving. The last phone call I made was enough.

I am now a very happy customer and proud owner of a new 570 Polaris that the dealer went and picked up from another dealer and had all the extras I needed in stock at their store. This one phone call, pick up, delivery and accessories all put on and ranger bought and paid for in less than 12 HOURS. John Deere and sales person at Ag-Power Tyler Texas... Bam!!! That's HOW IT'S DONE!!!

Purchased 1023-4 tractor and kept it for eight months and logged about 30 hours using the front end loader which worked fairly well. Then needed to mow the lawn and after about 30 minutes of mowing the engine overheated. Checked the fluid levels and all were at the proper levels. Let it cool for a while and it overheated again, and repeated the process about 3 times more and each time it overheated. Took it back to the dealer and they wanted $80 to pick it up but I was able to drive it.

At the dealer they wanted me to pay for a diagnostic test when the tractor was still under warranty, and I refused to pay it. They then informed me that the problem was that the radiator was plugged with grass clippings and that there was nothing wrong with the engine, but they claimed there was an oil leak on the mower. How can the grass clippings get on the radiator when the mower is on the back of the tractor? I left the tractor at the dealership for a few days and then decided that the tractor might have not been a good investment with only 4 months of warranty left, so I wrote them a letter and informed the dealer that I was returning the tractor.

A $2000.00 down payment plus $1487.20 paid to John Deere is $116.24 per hour paid to use tractor. All attempts to get any of my money back were futile and I feel like I have been robbed. The serial number on the tractor is 1LV1023ELGG100902. So be aware because they are going to unloaded on another poor sucker like me.

Bought a John Deere D-110 riding lawn mower in July 2014 because my 11 year old Murray riding lawn mower, still working, was getting old age problems. The John Deere worked great until January 2017 when it started blowing dark smoke out of the engine. This was six months past the two years warranty. The John Deere has 71 hours on the meter and was serviced as required. I contacted the local John Deere service department and was informed that I needed a new engine. I could order one, $600 plus, and install it myself or have them to install one for $700 plus.

Should have kept my old Murray. I read reviews that the John Deere 100 series has had engine failures. Maybe this is why the John Deere 100 series mowers warranty is only for two years. Would a new engine last any longer? Maybe or maybe not. I don't think I'll chance it. My replacement riding mower won't be a John Deere and will have a 3 year factory warranty. My John Deere mower PIN number is 1GXD110EJEE520030.

In checking the reviews at the time John Deere seemed to have fewer deck problems than the rest so I went with it. I still own an L105 purchased around 2006 and this unit mows an acre and a half about twice a month. In ten years I have performed the oil changes and replaced the battery a few times. I took it to the shop once to have a more thorough service although was having no problems and they changed my belts, blades and one pulley. The only thing I do not like about this unit is the narrow 42 inch cut and it is slow.

I also own a 2010 D140 48 inch model. I mow about 1/3 acre at least once a week. I use the bagger about half the time. I have done the services myself and have had no other issues with maintenance. Original blades, belts, and pulleys. The only thing that I do not like about this one is that when I am turning no matter how slight it cuts at an angle. The bagger clogs a little too often if grass is damp or I get a small stick or debris. This unit is fast and great to ride? I never mind mowing. Sometimes regret not getting the zero turn though.

Neither unit is perfect but if I were rating just for dependability only I would have to give both five stars. I looked at some of the reviews and wonder what they are doing. Both of mine are driven by adults and serviced at regular intervals by myself. I use John Deere oil and parts on both units and they are washed little but kept out of the rain.

Horrible company to deal with. Originally I thought that they are helpful. In fact they are NOT. I was looking for a position, which doesn't exist. No one knows nothing about??? Complete chaotic KOS with John Deere HR Department!!! Total ignorance!!! They run like mama's and papa's shop rather than any business! I never seen such CRAP before!!! If you need more info contact them with Mitch at their dealership in Ft. Pierce, FL : 772-461-5568 or Rose ** to contact direct them and find-out on your own. Good luck!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

I don't know why you all are having so many problems with your John Deere LA125. Mine is 6 years old; never had a problem. You people must abuse your equipment. 1 more thing John Deere recommends 10w30. Don't use it; 5w30 synthetic Briggs recommend, Try it. It don't have to be Briggs brand; any brand and I cut half acre once a week steep hill to.

I purchased a new john deere 1023E on August 7, 2016 for $17922.50 with all the attachments. I used it for less than 3 hours and the machine malfunctioned causing damage to my property. Apparently an O rings malfunctioned and the dealer, Central Jersey Equipment says this is because of negligence on my part. I am not sure how they come up with that because I put approximately 3 hours on the machine. I contacted Central Jersey Equipment about this issue, which happened within 20 days of the purchase and they have done nothing.

I've contacted john deere directly and have had no luck dealing with them. They give me the runaround but no one ever calls me back. I spent over $17000.00 and I feel I was ripped off. I requested a new machine and something towards the repair of my property and to date have not received a callback from anyone from John Deere. The only thing they say is it is up to the dealer that sold me the tractor. I just wonder how they would feel if they spent their hard earned money and received this kind of service. NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!

Two months ago, I ordered a Gator and was given a 3 week expecting date of delivery and had to wait 6 weeks. Today I ordered filter sets for my tractors only to be notified that they were "Out of stock" and the order would be delayed. Is John Deere failing as one of our previously reliable companies??

I bought my John Deere Gator 825i XUV in Sept 2013 and paid over 15,000 dollars on it. By January 2015 it needed a new clutch, which they repaired and covered under warranty. I recently learned that in March 2015 John Deere released a bulletin called a "Fix had Failed" to dealerships stating. It stated that the previous repair recommended on the clutches has failed. The problem is they did not release it to the owners. Now my vehicle has a total of 60 hours on it and now the clutch is out again. That is 2 clutches in 60 hours on the vehicle.

John Deere is refusing to cover the repair - and that is the repair that they released in March 2015 that they knew was failing. They state my Gator is outside of warranty on time which it is - I agree - but it is the same problem they fixed before that they know has failed and it only has 60 hours on it - that is 20 hours a year I drive the Gator. 2 Clutches in 60 hours does not say much for John Deere Products - very disappointed.

I bought a D105 John Deere riding mower, my warranty expired last April. I was mowing along my cell rang. I turned off the mower to answer and that was it, stuck in gear, would not run. Finally got it started but stuck in gear would not move. I took it to a shop. They took it apart and found the plastic transmission was broke. He said it was not worth fixing, said it was going to cost over $700 and would only break again as it is plastic. I called John Deere customer service and was told I needed to take it to a John Deere dealer to have them tell me it was broke. And yes they would charge me to tell me it was broke. I paid around $2,000 at Home Depot for this mower. It has 53.5 hours on it. Now it is junk. I am very disappointed.

I own a John Deere X304 and have for about 6 years. The mower cuts terrible but that is another story. While cutting the lawn the other day the drive belt came off. I put the belt back on and it promptly came off again. I took the mower to Wilson equipment in Spartanburg SC and they put the belt back on and told me that there was nothing wrong with it (charge $70). I reluctantly took it home after getting no satisfactory answer from them. The belt promptly fell off. The dealer came and picked it up for me and apologized for the situation. He called me and said that they could find nothing wrong with the mower. I told him to call JD because a mower that would not keep a belt on was useless to me. He called back later and said that JD was aware of this problem and they had a fix. I was so excited, been pushing my yard for 2 weeks now.

Called me back today and said mower was ready the fixed worked and I owed him $330. Dealer won't help because I did not buy it there. The place I bought it from is out of business. I called JD customer service line and told her that I should not have to pay for a known problem. She said basically "sorry about your luck, we won't help." Horrible customer service. I know you don't care JD but you just lost a customer for life, and so far I have given you app. $7500 for mowers but not one more penny from me.

MR. JD... Some history for you... In 2013, myself Rick ** and Fred **, jointly purchased a NEW 2013 JD Gator RSX850i Trail UTV with numerous options for a purchase price of over $16,800. We made this purchase from Lakeland Equipment, Hall NY, Salesperson Curt **. Within a week or so, we got a notification that there was a recall to replace the Oil Filter, of which we went and picked up. At that time, a couple hours on the Gator we noted to the sales person, Curt **, that the machine seemed to shift hard. Hoping it would work its way in, JD "Lakeland" did nothing to investigate, adjust or repair.

This past week I took the Gator in for service for this same clutch/transmission issue and it was noted by Lakeland that a NEW clutch assembly and belt was needed... Gator has 134 miles and 44 actual run hours. Although it is out of Warranty, I had expected JD to acknowledge this issue that has been very prevalent on a number of Gators and cover or at least discount the service required. Invoice was $854+... With 44 hours, no obvious abuse, I expected that John Deere would step up to the plate and correct this installed design issue at NO CHARGE.

In addition, I, Rick ** also purchased a NEW X730 Signature Series Tractor for over $12,000 a couple months ago. This tractor just had its first recall to install an updated software issue to deal with the override backup switch/button. I delivered to Lakeland this past Saturday for the update, with no service delivery or travel to my home residence required. I was excited about the purchase of both of these machines, but now am very concerned if I can expect this lack of attention with this equipment I expected to be top of the industry and brag about. Not sure now. If John Deere, Moline, would step up and honor this known performance issues and reimburse my $854 I may be able again to talk up JD, service and quality. Let me know if you wish to win a customer or lose myself and others. Thank you.

I have a z425 and the transmission went out after 3 years. Bought a new one, paid 1400.00 to get it fix, and not even a month later the left side transmission went out. That's 900.00 for a new one. I think I got a lemon. It's no way both transmission should have went out like that. Beware from getting them from home depot. I am so disgusted with it. The price I paid for 2 transmission, I could have gotten a new riding mower. I don't know if the transmission can be repaired. They say no nut. Why do they sell parts for them? Mine stop going forward on each side. Home depot warranty is a joke.

I bought a new rider from Home Depot and after 3 weeks the local dealer delivered it with zero hours. My complaint is when I changed the oil after 8 hours of use it was black and looked like it had been ran a long time. I am questioning rather the dealer gave me a demo he had changed the hour meter and kept the new one. I would like to get the serial number of the mower they shipped.

We purchased a John Deere JS45A Mowmentum 5 years ago for $550.00. Within first 3 years, we have replaced bag, drive cable, handle attacher, and side chute. Today, the Baggage Chute Assembly shattered. It is a $175.00 part. It is plastic and screws!! The machine is nothing but plastic garbage. After talking with to John Deere Customer Relation Representatives today, they confirmed that they are unable to assist or stand behind their product. They are a big company name with zero customer care. John Deere product is junk and their customer support department is so so sad. Solution: We just bought a brand new Toro for 350.00. We kept our last Toro for 9 years, only changing oil and sharpening mower blades seasonally. It was a great machine. Wish I would have just kept it.

Delivered my new XUV 590i Gator 2 days ago. Swapped my new Gator 625I back in to the dealer that I only had for 3 weeks. The 625i lacked the light kits, power steering, and it was way too noisy. Dealer allowed me exactly what I had paid for the 625i. Tested the 590i and liked everything about it. Little smaller than the 625, power steering is great, helluva lot less noisy, goes 48 MPH, fancy wheels and tires, and has all of the deluxe turn/stop/tail lights.

I did read in another XUV 590i post that their 590i had a sort of growling noise upon deceleration when near a stop. This one does the same thing. Probably just a function of the drive train. Also noticed that the engine RPM's on this machine are quite high. Appears to run upwards of 5000 RPM on the road and in the upper 3000 RPM range around the property. Just seems a bit high... We love the flip-out windshield too. My only issue is the access to the engine and components. Really tight. Oil changes might be somewhat tough as you have to crawl under the machine to access the filter and drain plug. Fortunately I am not heavy so I do fit under it okay. Probably use ramps to raise it though. So far we are pleased with the unit. Will post another follow-up after we have used the 590i for a few weeks.

I bought a John Deere x 304 lawnmower from a John Deere dealer under the impression that it was built in the US. To my belief most of the parts are made in China. The pulleys on the drive are made of plastic. You can on replacing them after 50 hours at the cost around 70 dollars. What a surprise - just for the parts I should have a different brand for half the cost. I thought paying more money for a commercial mower would be built better. I guess the joke was on me. I would not recommend this mower for the price. Go to your local home improvement center and save your money.

Consumer Increased Rating!

John Deere paid for the fix after going to the better business bureau.

Jennifer of Milford, OH on

Original Review

I bought a D105 mower in May 2014 for my disabled mother and father. In May the warranty ran out. One month later and only 30 hours on the mower and the transmission broke. They said because dirt was inside of it. The Five Points John Deere service dealership in Hillsboro said they had four others with the same issue. Sounds like a manufacturing issue if dirt can get in there and break the transmission. I called John Deere and was told sorry we can't help you. It's out of warranty. I am completely dissatisfied with John Deere and will never buy one again. Will also spread the word on social media. John Deere needs to make this right. My case # is **. I bought a John Deere because I heard they were the best. This is not the case and the way the customer service supervisor spoke to me in unacceptable.

Bought a John Deere D105 mower from Home Depot. After just 31.4 hours the transmission stuck in reverse. Upon investigation I found that this was a well-known problem and took it to a John Deere dealer for service. I was advised that John Deere would not cover the repair because it was one month out of the warranty period. So, after spending over $1500.00 to purchase it I now have spent another $400.00 plus to fix a defective transmission that John Deere knew was a problem and continue to sell it. Poor product and poor customer service. I am done with John Deere.

D105 Riding mower - Bought a new yellow and green made in America riding mower and paid 1500+ dollars and just over a year and 25+ hrs the transmission failed. Now at 3 years and 72.5 hrs the transmission has failed again! Wished I had invested the $ in the snapper ride on that I gave to a friend for nothing. Guarantee I am looking to join a class action lawsuit. My next mower won't be made in green and yellow sorry to say.

Had a Murray riding lawn mower for over 12 years and she worked like a champ. Decided to buy, what I thought was a better brand, John Deere Riding Lawn Mower D105 and at the two year mark with only 41 hours of usage the engine begins to smoke. Called John Deere and the first thing they tell you is that it's out of warranty, they then ask me to take it to an authorized dealer and gave me a case number. Well the service tech just called me and advised that they did a leak down test and that my mower was at 60% which is bad. I could have opted for a less expensive brand, but the yellow and green attracted me as this brand was suppose to be superior. It's beyond me how a brand like John Deere can last only 41 hours of use. I'm extremely upset, and I hope they take responsibility for this lemon of a mower.

Gator with less than 80 hrs., bought new, warranty expired, will not shift. The clutch will not release the belt to allow shifting from forward to reverse or back. John Deere knows about this and will do nothing to correct the problem, it is widespread. Will start a class action lawsuit with all Gator owners vs John Deere.

Just bought a brand new John Deere Gator 590I with power steering on 18 June 2016. Trailered it home and right off the bat there is NO power steering, which by the way is a $1000 option. Then the dash display comes and goes. Also as you let off on the gas and slow down there is a growl coming from the belt and clutch assembly. Being a electrician, I checked all pertinent connections and fuses. Called dealer and they are figuring out a day and time to pick up. I will follow up if and when all is resolved.

Purchased X300 in Oct. 2011. It was sold to us as a mulching riding lawn mower, so we were told. It left a strip of grass between the blades uncut. They took it back and said they put a mulching kit on it. The uncut strip of grass did get smaller, but it is not a mulching mower. We go over everything with LT166. It does not do the job even when we mow more often. The LT166 is a superior mulching mower - why would you want to change a superior product? We replaced the front end on the LT166 as it is a 2001 purchase. Still using it and absolutely would buy another!

When I was in need of a much larger tractor for my residence, I went to the nearest John Deere dealer. Everybody was great in the store and very helpful. I walked the lot of about 15-20 of their JD 1025r series tractors (all of which were the 2016 yr models). I went ahead and made the $18,322.20 purchase but being I also purchased two of the attachments (to get the JD offered rebates), they said that they needed to get parts from another store because the attachment they had in stock didn't have everything. I REALLY didn't think it would be a problem, so I went ahead and signed the note with a delivery scheduled 4 days out.

Well, on the 3rd day, I received a call from the delivery guy saying the tractor was ready and he could deliver early if I was available. I said "awesome!" But when it arrived, parts were different than the model I looked at (I hadn't put it together yet that it was an older model). Parts were rusted, seat was very moldy/nasty, broken/severely cracked part on the mower deck, chips in the bucket arms, etc. I noted everything I saw in the first 5 minutes to the truck driver. I didn't have to sign anything, so he jumped in the truck and left. I took another 30 minutes to go over the tractor and took note of the serial number. I found out from it that it was a 2015! It had 3 hours on it (which is a lot for a "new" tractor!).

I called the sales guy and told him my issues. He said he didn't get a chance to go over the tractor (They delivered a day early!!!). He said he could get the broken and chipped parts repaired or fixed. He also said that the serial number was just indicating that it was "manufactured in 2015" but that it was the same tractor that we looked at, "it just had some different parts because John Deere changes it up". He said he needed to talk with his manager (who was out for another two days). I waited the two days and called back but he said he was still out. So I called the John Deere corporate support and filed a claim. They said a manager would call me within three days.

Well, it's been a week and a half (since I filed the complaint) and I haven't heard from anyone. I'm not sure what the next steps will be. I've never been put in a situation like this. To me, it's a breach of contract because it isn't what I selected. I'm just an average Joe and probably don't know any better, but $18,000 for a lawn tractor is no joke to me.

I have a 1999 LT 155 that I have taken exceptional care of. Always garage kept and tuned up annually. I have spent more on maintenance, repairs and parts than my initial purchase price to keep it going, but I'd expect this after 17 years. The mower itself still runs strong and performs perfectly. My complaint lies in the hood design and replacement parts. After about 10 years, the plastic hood split where you pull the latch open. I decided to replace it with a new 'top' portion of hood which ran about $300. I could tell the replacement skin was a thinner plastic and much more brittle compound but what choice did I have. After about 6 months, normal usage and opening the hood caused the hood to again split right down the middle. I'm told by my local service department and dealer that JD has eliminated the 'catch' for the hoods so it opens more easily and removes the pressure point. This to me is a work around for a poor quality part.

Flash forward to now, I bought a tune up kit to change the oil, plug, filter, etc. I opened the hood and as I leaned it forward, both plastic hinges crumbled and let the hood come crashing to the cement falling all apart. Any first year engineering student could tell you these plastic hinges are a horrible design and combined with the poor plastic compound used was a recipe for disaster. I called the local service dept and Corporate John Deere Quality to register my complaint. I knew the 'warranty' expired long ago, but I think this more of a design flaw with poor quality and poor materials. I just wanted to formally register my complaint.

The local service department also said this is a common issue and the reason why you see so many JD's riding around with no hoods. A. They had the same issue as I and B. The whole hood is about $1000 to replace! I would think JD would recognize this flaw, make corrective action and choose to remedy this rather than experience sincere complaints such as this one. I love my John Deere, but this experience puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I bought the D105 a couple years ago and I love it. No problems at all. I have an acre or more to cut. I wash and maintained after every use. This summer I changed the oil and air and oil filter. When I put back the oil cap I did not turn the cap correctly and my oil leaked out. About a week later I didn't think to check. The oil made it to the front of the house and engine died. I checked the oil and to my dismay the oil had leaked out. I have always had to screw the cap on the oil shaft. John Deer needs to change the cap to one that screws on, would have saved me a bundle.

I am a woman so how was I to know the difference. I realized there were two small openings on each side of the cap. I keep my mower clean and covered up and well maintained. One guy checked it and told me it would cost $800 to fix but I felt that was too high so he came down to $600 which I refused to pay that much. Ordered one on internet from Lowe's, got a great deal and $300 rebate. Still going to check around for cheaper repair and maybe sell it. It looks brand new. This was my fault and not John Deer's fault. Satisfied customer.

I have a 1986 John Deere 185 Hydro yard tractor with a 38" deck and a Kawasaki engine. I've had to replace some parts, but that doesn't bother me, things wear out, and it is a strong, on-frame tractor with a strong transmission and good design. Conversely, I had a neighbor that was moving and I bought his JD 110 yard tractor with a little over 100 hours. I had to repair the deck as the junky tension pulley mount had vibrated apart - not a big deal, I can weld, and I made it better and stronger. The deck is bigger, it had a more powerful Kohler engine in it, and it was faster. I could cut the 1/2 acre lawn in much less time. I thought I had a great deal. Then the engine wouldn't start. Replaced the ignition module, but it made no difference and just backfired when I cranked it.

I found out that the new Chinese made Kohler Commanders JD is using have serious problems, and are junk, not expected to make it to 300 hours. The case is cast aluminum, it's so thin that it cracks along the corners and then blows the oil all over. Mine hadn't cracked yet, because it wasn't old enough, but the camshafts are made of nylon and the teeth on mine stripped and jumped time - causing the backfiring. There are 238 hours on this tractor, I put 125 + or - on it after I bought it, and the engine is not worth fixing. The body is not painted, it is powder coated, except for the hood which is green colored plastic. Like the example in a previous post the green powder coat is peeling off mine in large sections. The rust gets under the powder coat along the edges and travels underneath until it will all come loose.

I parked my 185 hydro to use the new tractor when I bought it, and I'm glad I kept it. The 110 has had less than five years of use, including the first owner, at 50 hours a year, with proper maintenance, and it's junk. I am now using the 30 year-old tractor again, with the tires and other things I could salvage off the 110. John Deere has become the biggest junk dealer in our economy. Literally, no other manufacturer is making the junk they are and getting away with charging the prices they do and providing the horrid service they are. My neighbor paid 1400 dollars for this piece of junk. I paid him 400 and feel I paid too much. I will run my 185 until I can't fix it any more, and then I'll buy something that isn't yellow and green, unless I can find a low time 1980's tractor.

Every two years I replace the steering gear and bracket. This is my 4th mower and 3rd John Deere. Never replace a steering in the other 3 lawn mowers. All use on the same yard. During a span of 35 years. Now after 550 hrs on the l120 I have a oil leak just like all the other l120's. The front hood's plastic pins broke off. The seat started cracking after 2 yrs. Dealer says they just do make them like they use to. Count me in on any class action suit.

Like many, purchased a John Deere, based on reputation of quality. Purchased a L110, went for 8 to 10 months, started slowing down and it ended back at JD workshop who fixed it and said no charge. I then continued to use this mower for approximately another year, before selling it due to moving property. I didn't realise at this stage they were just fixing a problem they knew about and feel for the guy that purchased the 110 off me.

Purchased another lifestyle property and needed a ride on, spent $5000 on a D130 and here I am 3 years later with only 170 hours on the clock and told by the JD workshop that the transmission is completed buggered, it's a sealed unit and the repair is $2000. The upside, (joke) offered $500 as a trade in on a new model. Just for the record, the JD staff are fantastic and a great bunch and any finger pointing isn't at them. Anyway, after being a loyal JD man for 20 years, having purchased tractors and ride ons, I am moving to another brand.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.
  • 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.
  • 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.
  • Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.
  • Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.
  • Best for Residential homeowners seeking a well-known brand with many product models.

Compare Riding Mower