3.55/5

671 John Deere Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

4 flat tires, poorly placed safety switches, impossible to maintain a level deck, constant starting issues, cracked seats after 4 months WITH a seat cover on it... These tractors consistently rank highly by Consumer Reports, but they must not be testing them for very long. Shortly after my tractor was delivered I began to notice how cheaply it was constructed, which is frustrating given the price. All 4 tires went flat multiple times and I only drove it on grass. Very soft rubber. I had to fill with several bottles of Green Slime. The brake safety switch is under the mower, which makes it prone to coming apart and keeping you from starting your mower. The seat foam is very cheap. I had it covered with a John Deere seat cover and it was parked in a garage. It still cracked apart and required me to cover it with Duct Tape. Doesn't look good on a tractor that is less than a year old.

The "easy-to-level" deck is as described, until it slides back out of level, which is ALWAYS. Thank goodness it is "easy-to-level" because I have to do it once a month or so. There's no reason why it should be falling out of level so often. This is touted as a mower that can handle driving fast and mowing well. You know the commercials. Well, it's not how fast you mow, it's how slow you have to go to make this mow well. Granted, I'm using mulching blades which I'm sure they didn't use for their "fast mowing", but I can only go about 1/4 to 1/2 speed with sharp blades before I start seeing missed cuts. This is even worse when turning. The mower barely cuts at all when you are turning and leaves lines because of how the blades are angled. I have to go over these spots several times to correct the cut.

Overall, I simply wouldn't recommend these tractors, or John Deere. This hurts me to say, because my family has used these for generations. I would sell it and buy a different brand, but all the things that have gone wrong with it will ruin any resale value it might have. Save yourself the frustration and deal with a product that is of higher quality and offered by a company who is trustworthy and actually stands behind their products.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was con into buying the last tractor on the lot. Said my monthly payments would be cheaper but it was a higher price riding lawn mower, Well my monthly payments were suppose to be like 70 a month but I then got a small trailer and that increased my monthly to like 120 something. They were taking 50 out for the two hundred trailer. Well I thought after over 5 months paying I thought the trailer would be paid off, it's not and they charging me higher payments on the riding mower so they rip me off. Not to mention I don't believe the riding mower was new. It had many issues after I bought. I regret buying this and now stuck making high payments on a tractor am not even liking.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My John Deere D110 was purchased only 4 years ago. In the early summer I had to have the head gasket replaced for 4-500 dollars. This is after only 120 hours.

Then, after that service, it became very difficult to start. I took it into the dealer and they told me it was the compression release valve and that it would cost more to fix than it was worth. Needless to say I was not very happy. The engine started just fine before the first service. So why not now??? I will never buy another. Their quality is not what it used to be.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with this mower. Here’s a list. Plastic throttle broke off, not 1 but 2 stators replaced, seat is cracking already, belt that engages blades have had to be replaced already, blades have had to been replaced, rear axle is leaking grease, safety guard where the grass comes out while mowing just fell off, the hood pin where it hinges fell out and made the hood fall off and crack, and now the variation pulley broke and in order to fix that I would have to pull off the wheels and transmission. All in 2.5/years and only 90 hours. I am a maintenance freak...I could only imagine what happens to one not taken care of. No help from John Deere at all!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Very disappointed with my experience with John Deere product and service. Purchased a new John Deere D110 & 60hrs later the compression switch on the camshaft went. 650$ to have the cam replaced or 750$ to have a new motor put in the tractor. This is a known problem with these machines and it's ridiculous to think that something still so new could have such a large issue. The worst part of this is after contacting customer service I was told John Deere will not pay anything to fix the mower because it's 4 months out of warranty. I'm disgusted with John Deere for not stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility for a well known faulty compression switch issue on the 19hp Briggs. I would never purchase a John Deere made ANYTHING ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Great lawnmower. Starts every time, rides good, not too bouncy and doesn't hurt my back. But too many thorns. John Deere should put solid tires on them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Went to John Deere in Anderson yesterday. Bought lawn mower D155. Called this salesman named William. Told him I didn't like the mower. I am 62 years old. He told me I could trade it in but they would have to deduct $500 because paper work had went through. NO MORE business for them. Haven't even owned it 24 hours.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I bought a D155 yesterday in Anderson, SC and I called not even 24 hours later and asked if I could swap it in on another. Didn't even really use it. Just didn't like it and the way it cut grass. William said I could trade it in but at the cost out of my pocket $500. He said because paperwork had gone through. YOU GET NO MORE OF MY BUSINESS.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I purchased a Z235 mower 3 years ago. It has 200 hours. Very clean and well maintained. This year the bracket that holds the front part of the stamp deck broke. This is part of the frame of the mower. I took it to the local landmark dealer. Had the service manager look at it. He told me it was metal fatigue, due to bouncing around. I told him I just mow my 2 acre lot. He stated that the commercial mower I purchased was not built for that application. Not built to be a mower I asked? He stated, "No just not that size of lot." The Z235 is advertised as a commercial mower for large applications. Well not this one he said. So, no help will be provided by John Deere. Buyer beware!! Very expensive piece of equipment for only 3 years ROI. John Deere Sucks!!! Do not purchase John Deere equipment.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I’ve had my 3038E a lil over a year. These are my issues. First, the brake sensor broke. Not a big deal. Second, it would overheat every time I mowed the 7acre field. Only took a few min to spray it clean. Third, the hydraulics would start to get more and more slack. Forth, the seat sensor would shut the tractor down at the worst and most dangerous times... And the final last straw is when my rock shaft housing broke and Deere said it was my fault but couldn’t tell me how I’ve could’ve done it. They didn’t even come look at it. They had the dealership send them a picture.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have owned my Z235 John Deere for 3 years. The warranty is only for 2 years. This year the weld that holds the control arm for the mowing deck broke. I called the local Landmark dealer and spoke with the general manager, Roger. Roger stated this usually doesn't happen at all. However, even though this shouldn't have happened it was not under warranty. He would not offer any type of customer service or help for my 3 year old, $3,000 + -, broken John Deere mower.

It is important to understand there was nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening. The part that broke is 100% a manufacturing issue, not a maintenance issue. Poor construction of the unit. Buyer beware! John Deere, Landmark and General Manager Roger do not stand behind their product. More worried about the bottom line. It is very unfortunate that this expensive piece of equipment didn't last and John Deere and their dealers don't stand behind the craftsmanship on their units. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My JD 318 is the very best mower I've ever owned and it has been the most dependable mower I've ever seen. It's horrible they stopped making that model. I would buy another one in heartbeat if still made them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

This is a company in which I’ve had 3 riding mowers and because of the 2 previous mowers I bought this last one. This one is just really poor quality.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have been more than pleased with the John Deere 665 zero turn mower that we have owned since 2003. We use it to care for three yards that total over 6 acres. Regular maintenance and two new front tires.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My John Deere X340 has been a good mower overall. It cuts nice and has been very dependable. The main drawbacks are that parts are a little pricey and the transmission is sealed so there is no way to service it and no filter to change.

Original review: July 31, 2018

We've had multiple lawn tractors over the decades, but this is our first John Deere (model X350). We chose to buy from an authorized (AgPro) dealer - not from one of the box stores, which carry lower end models. Although somewhat more expensive at purchase, we noted the difference in quality immediately with sturdy metal parts where plastic or flimsy metal parts were used on other brands. We know from experience that multiple expensive repairs down the road can quickly erase the "savings" on purchase price.

After several months of use, we have not been disappointed. The mower runs flawlessly, with plenty of power - in forward and reverse. It steers beautifully in and out of tight spaces. Our only criticism at this point is in regards to an accessory we added at the dealership. We had Rhino bars placed to protect the front of the tractor. With these in place, you can not lift the hood to access the engine until you remove the cottage pin to allow the bars to him he down. Other than this we have had a nearly flawless positive experience.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The mower is 10 years old and takes care of a small community's front entrance, the sides of the roads and my one acre. I can't seem to kill this thing and it has seen its share of abuse. Amazing product.

Original review: July 28, 2018

My D105 has done well. It cuts well but sometimes it cuts uneven as I have about 52 hrs on the meter. Have had it 4 about 3 yrs and I'm looking to get a ZT as I bought home with 1 1/2 acre to mow.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I've had John Deere mowers for many years and would never go to another brand. It's a mower you can depend on, it's sturdy, well built, easy on gas, easy to operate and has a sizable gas tank. I have a huge lawn to cut and I can always depend on it. They are expensive but you're paying for quality and you get it.

Original review: July 27, 2018

This one has a power bagger that picks up and pretty much everything and mulches what it picks up. It is 46" so the deck sticks out far enough that is no problem to mow right up close to anything you go by.

Original review: July 27, 2018

It was a good purchase and has been very dependable. I would purchase another but hope I don’t have to for a long time. The machine seems to be well built.

Original review: July 27, 2018

This is a great low-end John Deere LA115 lawn tractor. Makes quick work of the back lawn, with a lot less fatigue as compared to a walk behind mower.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My X475 tractor is one you get from a John Deere dealer and not sold in other stores. It is very heavy duty and like most equipment if you take care of it; it will take care of you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been pass along to 3 dealers on my issue with my D130 Lawn Tractor. When you mow the lawn on number 3 you have a 2" wide strip down your lawn about 7' before the shoot. I had contacted JD main office and two local offices and brought the tractor in two times and still have the same issue. I first time they said the spindle was off and they had to order a new one, so I get it back and back the cut and same issue so when I called them back they said they didnt look at the deck because it was in for something doing with engine??? I told them look at the notes again and read me what I said when I brought this in and they couldn't find it. So the second time they said they couldn't find the issue and said they sharpen my new blades and that look like it fix the problem so I tip the deck over and the blades were never touch. And I still have the same problem.

I called them back again and told them the blades were never sharpen and the grass still has a 2" strip higher and have to make to cuts. Now they said they would get back to me and of course, they didn't and now I had to get extended warranty just to get this junk fix. So far John Deere said it was the blades so I change out the blades 5 time in one year then it was the belt, change that two in one year. So I paid 2,600.00 for a piece of junk. And when I called corporate they keep telling me to see local dealer and now they want to charge me to bring this in new machine. Now I telling everyone that John Deere don't care. They push junk and have ill equip techs. Now I want to sell this and buy a dependable machine. I'm 57 and never had I had to write such a terrible comment and had reach out 6 times in 1 1/2 years.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Our John Deere mower is reliable, easy to maintain and the best looking mower on the market, in my opinion. We purchased it four years and it still looks and runs like it's new.

Original review: July 26, 2018

John Deere units have stood the test of time, they're like a Timex, takes a lickin, but still keeps tickin, and you can still get parts for almost every make & model ever produced...

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought a John Deere 730 riding lawn tractor with a 60 inch deck. The lawn tractor is very smooth running and the deck goes through heavy grass. The lawn tractor always starts and also has power steering. One feature I like is if want go reverse out of a tight space without the deck shutting down, use a hold down push button and the deck doesn't stop. Usually mows 2-3 areas at a time.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have had this mower about 6-7 years with just normal maintenance. I would recommend John Deere to friends and family. It is a good sturdy built mower.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have a JD Z925M with 60" 7 Iron deck, mulch on demand, and wheels. Overall I love this mower. The mulch on demand is great. The wheels ride a little smoother than regular tires and get better traction. The downside is that they will take your yard up if you not careful. The mulch on demand causes a little extra dust. But I would buy this mower again except with regular tires and wheels.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Having 2 Sabres and a John Deere V-Twin prior to this V-Twin, I stayed with JD having all 42" cutting widths, double bagger, dump cart, etc. The biggest issue is the battery compartment, as in the past I had a couple batteries drip acid below which shorted out electrical wiring and ate away at battery boxes... Thus poor engineering but perhaps my last JD?

John Deere expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

• Best for: Residential homeowners seeking a well-known brand with many product models.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs