2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

John Deere Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

For many years I have used a self propelled Honda Lawn Mower, it did a great job, maintained it and after 25 years of service I decided to buy a rider. Most riders had similar engineering, features and price points. I was drawn to John Deere and eventually purchased one. I have been extremely pleased with its performance and have taken my lawn to the next level. Riders just do a better job, they're more powerful but most importantly they're a whole lot of fun. I actually look forward to mowing my lawn. I highly recommend John Deere "E" Series Lawn Tractors. Their service and support is also a plus and should definitely be considered when making a decision!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

They might be a little more money to get the better models than the ones offered at the big box stores but my LA-125 has performed flawlessly for 14 years! I know people that bought the cheapest basic unit and they didn’t hold up. I have a neighbor that’s got a Toro 24 hp. Rider and has had good luck with his.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I love my John Deere. It is comfortable and easy to maneuver. It's easy to add oil, which it doesn't use much and it's easy to add gas. It might be more expensive but worth the extra. It has 540 hours on it and will be having to add a new starter.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

This is the first time in my 70 years of life that I’ve needed a riding lawnmower. I knew nothing about them. I started with Consumer Reports and then consulted some friends that I explained my needs to. They were a great help in referring me to a salesman in my area. I explained to him what I needed and he guided my sale. When my lawnmower was delivered, the delivery man spent an hour with me going over the lawnmower and how to safely use it on my property. I so appreciated all the information he gave me. Now it’s just fun for me to use and so easy. I would recommend John Deere to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

When we purchased our first John Deere riding mower, we had no idea it would last for 29 years! For about the first 8 years it did commercial mowing, then it became our personal mower. Hoped to get it to 30 years - but we finally had to buy a new one. I forget the exact age, but this "new" one is at least 10 years old and still going strong! As they truthfully say, "John Deere is built to last!"

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I bought a new JD 3046r on Friday 13. Bad day... to buy. The tractor kept sounding an alarm at the dealer, it show manifold sensor check. Well dealer didn’t ever see that code before... Technician has not show up yet. Also quality is down said the salesman. I know that... The hanger that holds up the middle arm of 3 point hitch didn’t have a hole in it for a cotter pin. So why didn’t the cotter pin guy say there’s a problem here Huston... The representative argue with me at the Corp Headquarters, telling me his best friend is the head of quality control at that plant in Georgia. Well, maybe you should tell him. I was trying to get to the new CEO and tell him he has quality problem... Oh well, made Friday 20 is a better day to buy, I am also a stock holder. Thank goodness it’s up.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I grew up on a farm that used John Deere exclusively. My father in law was a John Deere mechanic, as were two of my sons. I had the utmost confidence in big green. No more. I purchased a new Z535R zero turn mower. A year after purchase the left side hydrostatic transmission went out under warranty. Now, just after the warranty expired the right side transmission went out. I take good care of it, after all it was was a $6000+ purchase. Also the starter solenoid went out. Now it's gonna be $1000+ out of my pocket that I can not afford. No more big green for me. I'm just glad my grandfather and father in law are not around to see how crappy JD products have become. Please don't take my word for it, read the other reviews.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Yes it runs and cuts perfectly. Never had any problems or issues with the mower. Although I wish that the seat could move back more to accommodate a six foot person and maybe a shorter turning radius.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

It is a good overall riding mower, but the transmission disintegrated with less than 110 hours on the mower! The motor is still in good shape - everything still works. It would cost more to replace the transmission than the mower is worth!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have not been happy with my John Deere. I use my buddy's Spartan mower whenever possible. It is a lot better mower than my John Deere. The parts for John Deere are high and do not seem to be very good quality anymore. My blades only last three cuttings before needing replaced. Soft metal. Do not sharpen well. I say forget John Deere and go Spartan mowers.

John Deere author review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team