3.80/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

706 John Deere Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2019

Good, mechanic on the agricultural farm, understand electrical and hydraulic systems, have 1a driver license, working with John Deere agricultural equipment and other types of technology, and other parts.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My third DEERE and you will have to pay me go to something else. They say that nothing runs like a DEERE and you can take that to the bank! 22 yrs and nothing but belts, plugs, oil and gas. Will be back to another when the time comes.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Hello... Like most of the homeowners here, I have been mowing lawns way before before I could legally drive motor vehicles...(legally is the keyword). The X350 John Deere lawn tractor is my subject and some comparisons to other brands I have owned and used. Over the 65 years of mowing I have experienced many types and brands. Way back when the "Hahn Eclipse" Briggs powered reel type mower was the best, through the push rotary era and now the riders (age induced). I have owned and used many brands and have always returned to the Deere line, with the X350 is my latest ride. Overall, the operation and quality has met and exceeded my expectations.

The non-Deere purchased parts used in assembling the unit are of top quality and can be easily serviced and all machines will need service. The driving, even though it is manual steering, is effortless and accurate... The foot operated deck raising feature is great as it allows the operator to raise the deck to save the hose you missed getting picked up or over the neighbor's lost golf ball. The quality of mowing the "48-in. Accel Deep™ Deck" does the best of any I have ever used. I have owned several Cub Cadets over the years because I thought they had the best decks, I know now the Deere "Accel Deep™ Decks do a much better job bar none. The Zero Turn craze hit me too. I purchased a new "Hustler Raptor SDX" (zero turns are GREAT MOWERS if that what you need) and realized that the zero turn units were not made for all lawns and operators. I could not ever get used to the operation and was able to sell relatively fast and went back to the Deere.

Overall, the Deere X350 has all the moderate sized lawn caretaker needs. It will last as it is one tough unit (better than any goat and does not require a pooper scooper). My life has given the opportunity to own and operate Simplicity, Cub Cadet, Zoro, Craftsman and many others and here I am, back with the Deere. Service any unit as it should and it will last you. One thing to remember, regardless of the brand, the unit is no better than the service that can be provided. All machines need it and it the unit is not working because of "LACK" of service. It is useless. Good mowing and be safe.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased my LT133 from a local dealer which is no longer here. I have never had a problem with the engine or the transmission. I have had this John Deere Lawn Tractor for more than 39 years. In the last 8-10 years I have had some problems most likely due to age. The deck still works but lost both guide wheels and the mulching unit is screwed up but it still cuts grass. Replace the starter motor, brakes, belts, and have had minor problems I fixed myself. I will only purchase a JD from a dealer and pay the extra to get a good machine not like the ones sold at Lowe's or Home Depot. I know if I have problems my dealer will take care of it. I see a lot of bad reviews but I contribute that to purchases made other than JD dealer and purchasing cheaper made models.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Several years ago I bought a 1994 JD LX178 lawn tractor. It got the Kawasaki 15 HP, twin piston, water cooled engine and a 38 inch deck. It's still running beautifully today (2018). I replaced the cheap plastic hood with a steel hood from a craftsman GT and recovered the seat in leather. In July of this year, I bought a 1998 JD445. Yes, it's 20 years old! I had to clean out the gas tank to get it to run properly and I replaced the seat. This is a wonderfully comfortable mower with all the hydraulics and differential lock, and power steering that I need in my old age. The 22 HP Kawasaki engine is fuel injected and being liquid cooled, I expect another 20 years from it. The 300 pound, 60 inch deck makes great time out in my fields.

My suggestion to buyers is this: Buy a garden tractor, not a lawn tractor... These are heavy duty machines that can handle light abuse. Look for bearings (not sleeves) in the wheels. Look for zerk fittings on the spindles and other wear points. Get a tractor that weighs 600 - 1000 lbs. Practice your haggling skills to buy right. Be prepared to travel to pick up the mower. Own a trailer! New is not necessarily better. You can spend a little over 2 thousand dollars and buy a machine that sold for over 10 thousand new and is worth fixing up. Buy a machine that has things wrong with it that you know how to fix. Happy hunting!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My John Deere mower (bought at JD not Lowe’s) has a defective seat. I took pictures of the defect, sent them to the selling dealer and they agreed that the seat was defective and would be replaced under warranty. Here is the fun part, now I’m being told that rather than allowing me to remove and returning the defective covered part (a seat). I need to rent a trailer in order to transport this mower back to the selling dealer only to have them “diagnose” and replace the part. So the net is that I have to pay for a portion of this covered repair. This WILL be my last Deere!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I bought a new E100 lawn mower in June of 2018. With only 28 hours on the mower, the engine locked up in July of 2019. I thought that it should be covered under warranty, however was told that the factory installed oil filter had loosened and allow the oil to escape. The manual stated that you should change the oil at 50 hours, but the filter should be changed at 8 hours. I have been dealing with equipment for 40 years and have never once had a factory installed oil filter loosen to the point of oil leaking. I am extremely disappointed that John Deere would sell something that had not be inspected and that they would not honor the claim. I will never buy another John Deere piece of equipment or recommend anyone to do so.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

This is my second summer with my John Deere riding mower and the second summer it has torn up. Spent over 300 dollars last summer because dealer said they would not warranty My pulley because I didn’t grease it according to manual which I did. I am very OCD about all my equipment. Now same thing this summer. Prior to this mower I had a Craftsman for 28 years and put 1 pulley on it. I plan on selling this mower after this summer. Very disappointed!!!!

Original review: July 31, 2019

I bought the D105 Ride-on Lawnmower because I was always told that once you own a John Deere you wouldn't want anything else. Well, that was a load of crap. This lawnmower has been maintained since the first oil change. I have had in the shop 3 times for multiple problems. The tires are worthless! I really believe that the parts on this tractor are brought in from China and assembled here in the US. It is a poorly made machine. If you need it worked on, I don't suggest taking to a dealer repair shop because they know nothing about working on them and their customer service is non-existent. I call it customer NO Service.

I have had to have the wiring done twice because the original job done by the dealer's repair shop screwed up the wiring on it. I had to bring it to a local lawnmower shop and they finally got the wiring right. I have asked for mulching blades twice while in the dealer shop and they conveniently left them off twice. Once again, I brought it to the local repair shop and they installed the mulching blades for me. My Walmart Ride-on lawnmower was put together better than this and ran like a champ for 10 years. I will NEVER purchase another John Deere tractor if it is the last lawnmower on the market. I will just let the grass grow instead. I rated the Tractor 1 Star because 0 Stars for customer service and overall product was not available. You must be proud to build such a pile of crap! How do you sleep at night!

Original review: July 24, 2019

I purchased a John Deere 155c lawn tractor in 2006. I carefully maintained the tractor for the last 13 years. In the manual on page 26 it clearly states that the transmission needs no maintenance. I found this odd since any other lawn tractor I’ve owned required the fluid be flushed approximately every 3 years and the filter replaced. The John Deere transmission is sealed. However the instruction to not maintain the transmission is false. This year my transmission has lost power after 30 minutes of use. I changed the main drive belt to no avail.

A quick search of the internet depicted a much deeper problem. The transmission oil, motor and pump have worn down. I took the transmission off and dumped the oil. It was black and filled with filings. The new oil helped but the problem persists, the transmission has to be re built. It will cost me $800 Canadian just for the parts. This would not have happened had I changed the oil every three years. A call to John Deere did nothing they refuse to acknowledge their error in the manual nor will they reimburse me for the parts. If you have a John Deere lawn tractor, you must change the transmission oil or it will fail. I am so furious that I would like to start a class action suit against the company. The internet is full of stories about John Deere transmissions failing. I will never buy a John Deere product again and I advise anyone thinking about doing so should look elsewhere.

John Deere expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

• Best for: Residential homeowners seeking a well-known brand with many product models.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs