2.81/5

693 John Deere Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 23, 2019

Hello... Like most of the homeowners here, I have been mowing lawns way before before I could legally drive motor vehicles...(legally is the keyword). The X350 John Deere lawn tractor is my subject and some comparisons to other brands I have owned and used. Over the 65 years of mowing I have experienced many types and brands. Way back when the "Hahn Eclipse" Briggs powered reel type mower was the best, through the push rotary era and now the riders (age induced). I have owned and used many brands and have always returned to the Deere line, with the X350 is my latest ride. Overall, the operation and quality has met and exceeded my expectations.

The non-Deere purchased parts used in assembling the unit are of top quality and can be easily serviced and all machines will need service. The driving, even though it is manual steering, is effortless and accurate... The foot operated deck raising feature is great as it allows the operator to raise the deck to save the hose you missed getting picked up or over the neighbor's lost golf ball. The quality of mowing the "48-in. Accel Deep™ Deck" does the best of any I have ever used. I have owned several Cub Cadets over the years because I thought they had the best decks, I know now the Deere "Accel Deep™ Decks do a much better job bar none. The Zero Turn craze hit me too. I purchased a new "Hustler Raptor SDX" (zero turns are GREAT MOWERS if that what you need) and realized that the zero turn units were not made for all lawns and operators. I could not ever get used to the operation and was able to sell relatively fast and went back to the Deere.

Overall, the Deere X350 has all the moderate sized lawn caretaker needs. It will last as it is one tough unit (better than any goat and does not require a pooper scooper). My life has given the opportunity to own and operate Simplicity, Cub Cadet, Zoro, Craftsman and many others and here I am, back with the Deere. Service any unit as it should and it will last you. One thing to remember, regardless of the brand, the unit is no better than the service that can be provided. All machines need it and it the unit is not working because of "LACK" of service. It is useless. Good mowing and be safe.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased my LT133 from a local dealer which is no longer here. I have never had a problem with the engine or the transmission. I have had this John Deere Lawn Tractor for more than 39 years. In the last 8-10 years I have had some problems most likely due to age. The deck still works but lost both guide wheels and the mulching unit is screwed up but it still cuts grass. Replace the starter motor, brakes, belts, and have had minor problems I fixed myself. I will only purchase a JD from a dealer and pay the extra to get a good machine not like the ones sold at Lowe's or Home Depot. I know if I have problems my dealer will take care of it. I see a lot of bad reviews but I contribute that to purchases made other than JD dealer and purchasing cheaper made models.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Several years ago I bought a 1994 JD LX178 lawn tractor. It got the Kawasaki 15 HP, twin piston, water cooled engine and a 38 inch deck. It's still running beautifully today (2018). I replaced the cheap plastic hood with a steel hood from a craftsman GT and recovered the seat in leather. In July of this year, I bought a 1998 JD445. Yes, it's 20 years old! I had to clean out the gas tank to get it to run properly and I replaced the seat. This is a wonderfully comfortable mower with all the hydraulics and differential lock, and power steering that I need in my old age. The 22 HP Kawasaki engine is fuel injected and being liquid cooled, I expect another 20 years from it. The 300 pound, 60 inch deck makes great time out in my fields.

My suggestion to buyers is this: Buy a garden tractor, not a lawn tractor... These are heavy duty machines that can handle light abuse. Look for bearings (not sleeves) in the wheels. Look for zerk fittings on the spindles and other wear points. Get a tractor that weighs 600 - 1000 lbs. Practice your haggling skills to buy right. Be prepared to travel to pick up the mower. Own a trailer! New is not necessarily better. You can spend a little over 2 thousand dollars and buy a machine that sold for over 10 thousand new and is worth fixing up. Buy a machine that has things wrong with it that you know how to fix. Happy hunting!

Original review: July 31, 2018

We've had multiple lawn tractors over the decades, but this is our first John Deere (model X350). We chose to buy from an authorized (AgPro) dealer - not from one of the box stores, which carry lower end models. Although somewhat more expensive at purchase, we noted the difference in quality immediately with sturdy metal parts where plastic or flimsy metal parts were used on other brands. We know from experience that multiple expensive repairs down the road can quickly erase the "savings" on purchase price.

After several months of use, we have not been disappointed. The mower runs flawlessly, with plenty of power - in forward and reverse. It steers beautifully in and out of tight spaces. Our only criticism at this point is in regards to an accessory we added at the dealership. We had Rhino bars placed to protect the front of the tractor. With these in place, you can not lift the hood to access the engine until you remove the cottage pin to allow the bars to him he down. Other than this we have had a nearly flawless positive experience.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I enjoy John Deere because they are balanced better with riding mowers and push mowers. The push mower's collector bag is easy to handle and notice when it is time to empty bag. My John Deere mowers last five or more years longer than other mowers, and that is not bringing the mower in for maintenance. If you bring it in for maintenance they last a lot longer. John Deere unlike other mower shops encourages maintenance which saves you money and which improves performance. Their repair staff is well versed when fixing more impactful problems. They make sure their staff is polite whereas other mower shops make eye contact with a genuine face about twenty five percent of the time. Their warranties are honored when an issue falls in a "grey area".

In closing, when I worked on a two thousand acre farm for five years, all the farmers who did not have a John Deere mower, combine, tractor wanted one and got one when they had several good years in a row. They knew they did not consistently break down like the other brands. In turn, time is money. Lastly, I trust a farmer's opinion considering that they are around them constantly, and I witnesses their quality for over five years. In closing, I do not say all farmers and all people who own John Deere equipment are happy with them unless I mean it. With over forty years of hearing the reviews of John Deere, I cannot remember one person who talked negatively about them unless they were jealous that they did not buy one. John Deere mowers are "hands down" the best and maintain their excellence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: June 11, 2019

We bought a new gator and a 125 R lawn tractor based on the great service we received from our gator of 13 years. So far, the gator has been in the shop twice, once trying to do a cheap fix and then finally fixing it correctly, as they should have the first time. Today, with less than 5 hours, the 125 R blew oil all over the tractor deck, leaking from who knows where. The green paint lives on its previous quality which is sadly lacking these days. This equipment is way too expensive to fail this quickly.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Bought brand new. Transmission stopped working at 80 hrs. John Deere says bad luck, buy new transmission for another $1000. Not spending $1000 more on next to new tractor. Will be buying new mower again but won't be John Deere. Can't afford to buy major components every 2-3 years.

Original review: June 7, 2019

John Deere lawn tractor or snow blower?? If you want a nightmare, go for it! The John Deere lawn tractor and its snow blower are the worst products I have ever got! And the John Deere customer service is the worst one I have ever had! I bought this John Deere lawn tractor D105 from Lowe’s and its snow blower from its dealer Green Tractors by its sales recommendation. Both products were broken almost every time when I used them. Within one year, many of their parts, including the battery, belt, grip, handle, spring, pins, rod, took turns to break, and finally the D105 engine was broken in the early second summer! In the winter, I could not finish even once for a completed snow blowing. I eventually had to ask to return the snow blower.

After a long battle, the dealer finally took back the snow blower, but with my big lost. I paid them $3161, but got only $1745 refund. John Deere, its dealer Green Tractors, and Lowe’s refused to take back the crapping D105. They point their fingers to each other. Lowe’s told me I have to deal with John Deere. John Deere told me I have to deal with dealer. Dealer told me I have to deal with Lowe’s. As a result, I went into a dead loop. Not only that, John Deere dealer Green Tractors also charged me over $1000 to fix the above problems! Imaging these are blank new products, and they were within 1 year! Don’t you think this is enough??? Worst products, worst customer services, worst dealer! Avoid! Avoid!! Avoid!!!

Original review: June 5, 2019

6/5/2019: Just got off the phone with my local parts store and John Deere "Customer Service". I have a 2013 Z960R z-turn, paid a lot of money for this as it was billed to be the premier commercial grade z-turn. This machine has 640hrs easy home use and has been well serviced and garaged. Pull switch that engages the blades went bad.

Purchased the replacement rocker switch. Was told that JD had lots of problems with the pull switch, so they now supply a rocker switch and adapter replacement. Got the old switch out and now the rocker replacement is too big for the rectangular hole in the RH console. Called the dealer and told him that he gave me the wrong unit...Nope, it's the right unit...Just John Deere expects you to take a flat file and open up the hole so that the replacement fits.

Well, I don't know where to start with this total cluster FUBAR. As an engineer of 33 years and having spent some time in automotive Mechatronics product development, DVP&R and PVP&R is part of the process (Design and Product validation). Either JD's validation testing is garbage OR it failed and they put it into production anyway, knowing this switch was sub-standard. Then having a replacement, not issuing a recall and charging the customer for the switch AND expecting the customer to file the opening is just beyond reason! I have multiple JD equipment but NO MORE; John Deere my next purchase is a big one and will be a Kubota.

Original review: May 22, 2019

In the past 8 years I have purchased a 700x, a 730, a 2025r and a 758 & I also have a 485 & finally a Husqvarna pz 60 which has only been in for service 1 time because it never has problems. But the John Deeres make up for it by being in for service all the time. Nothing but problems. I almost forgot a 500 series I had but it was in so much I almost forgot I owned it. It had so many problems that the dealership almost gave me full price back on a trade for the 700 which was probably the best green tractor I had. I have had very bad service with a lot of wasted time back and forth. Just had the u joint replaced on the 2025r 2300 dollars of which 1800 was labor and after getting it back with loose and missing bolts and wires hanging out everywhere now the pto isn't working. Which means more wasted time.

It has 600+ hours and no warranty left so I tried to find info on pto why it stops after 10 seconds but cant get info without paying for it. So I am thinking I will have 4 green tractors going up for sale and orange will be my new favorite color. Too much green to keep the green ones running. Service after the sale is a issue and after dealing with three different dealerships service departments that always respond to questions with bring it in instead of answers or repair advice. I feel my pto issues are probably simple but I never thought a u joint could be a 2300 dollar fix that I feel was 2000 dollars too high and caused another issue I am sure will be ridiculous too. So I learned to read customer reviews just a little late which cost me thousands and lots of lost time. Quality and service are not John Deere's strong point. Kubota and Husqvarna here i come, I am sure both can do better. Good luck John Deere.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I bought a John Deere D140 9 years ago. I have replaced the front end, transmission repairs, multiple pulled yes and belts. Constant trips to repair shop. Worst mower I ever bought. Pure junk. I hate John Deere. Pure trash. Can't wait to take a sledge to this trash and take it to the dump where it belongs.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I bought a John Deere lawn tractor from an authorized dealer (Midstate Tractor CT). What a mistake. After less than 6 hours of use, caught the blade on a root. The deck on the X304 bent like a toy. John Deere offered no assistance. I would have to pay full retail for a new deck, they would not even offer a discount on parts or labor. If I had bought a far less expensive mower from a big box I would have gotten better service, and they would not have treated it like a joke. Save your money, find a better dealer, manufacturer. Neither the dealer nor John Deere stood behind their product. I tried to post a review on the John Deere site, but apparently they only post good reviews.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have a 2014 625i gator. Less than 75 hrs. Bought new. Now have spent $1200.00 in repairs to replace throttle body. Model is now obsolete (wonder why they quit making it). Worth almost nothing trading in. Nothing runs like a Deere. NOT!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I paid cash for a riding lawn mower. I was told that it would be delivered within days after purchase. I ordered a bagger to go with mower and I realize that weather has a factor in getting product to store however no communication of this delay. I had to go to store and called several times and was told that person who could tell me what was going on was out and would call back. No call or communication. Finally told delivery would come after I initiated inquiry. Product delivered but after delivery person left would not start and found machine still had sand in battery and other areas which I was assured would be cleaned before delivery. The plastic parts for filler cap deteriorated and broke. I am not pleased with customer service...do we only get service if we finance a tractor??? I contacted Area manager and expressed my displeasure. I will be asking for my full refund and will be purchasing from Lowe’s.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My third DEERE and you will have to pay me go to something else. They say that nothing runs like a DEERE and you can take that to the bank! 22 yrs and nothing but belts, plugs, oil and gas. Will be back to another when the time comes.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Never seen a piece of equipment deteriorate with all the maintenance I give it, I have to admit that the engine is solid but as the chassis goes what a piece of crap. I never paint without removing rust, grime or anything else that will keep the primer from bonding to the metal. Always using top brand of primer and paint. You would expect excellent results, right? Well no. The metal is so cheap that your labor don't last at all just to find another area rotting away. This machine is a 1995 purchased in 99 from a dealer in Dade County Fl.

The trans had to go thru a major repair due to the use of rubber hoses instead of galvanized pipe or copper to run the hydraulic oil and not one sensor to indicate low oil. This machine is the worst I have ever worked on and operated. Made in Mexico and it shows it. I have worked on other brands - Komat, Cat, etc. and they are a very big interest in how they are build. Hope this helps to anyone looking to purchase a backhoe, if you could afford it buy a Komatsu or Cat I prefer the Komatsu.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have a JD2520 bought 7 years ago with less than 500 hours. Use mainly for snow blowing and mowing. It needed a new hydraulic motor and once that was in they said it needed a hydraulic shaft, part #LVA802614. Surprise!!! There is not a hydraulic shaft in the whole United States that they can find and it may be "3, 6, or 9 months, who knows" verbatim from the dealer. They don't care and gave me the part number to see if I could find it. I can't find it anywhere either. I can't believe a reputable company like John Deere does not have parts for their own machines. What a waste. Now I sit, stranded with no machine, and nothing I can do about it. They actually asked us if we wanted to trade it in. Why??? Because you can't get a part I am supposed to pay more money for a different machine. Guess I'm out the $18,000 I paid for it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have spent over 400.000 buying John Deere products over a 10 year span. My new 30 hours 3039 tractor has a large hydraulic leak. I called the dealer because it is under warranty. They will have to have the tractor picked up and delivered but informed me that I will be charged for the tow. John Deere does not pay for transportation. So I spent 70.000 on a tractor. It has a major leak and I have to pay for transporting it for service. I am so pissed. Never buying another John Deere.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I recently purchased a used ridding John Deere model 738 which has performed well. However I now have a slight problem with going from forward to reverse. Engine tries to die during this operation, this problem is most prevalent during snow removal with snow blower attachment. Does anyone have a suggestion at to a remedy.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Must be great to be a monopoly, which Meade Tractor is for John Deere in our area. This allows them to overcharge you at will, then act like it's YOU with a problem if you complain. Screw them. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Called my local John Deere service center after running over a small branch with mower deck explain the situation that I just had the mulch kit installed recently and I was short on funds. They was able to help me with the pick up and delivery charges by reducing it $50 which I was grateful. After giving me an estimate of $530 to fix pulley bracket and one bent wheel I agreed on the charges.

After a few days pass I get a called that the mower deck is bent badly and they need additional $400 to fix it. I complain to the service manager but he didn't care to help me so I called the 800 corporate phone number to John Deere and they could of care less. I was told that I can take it somewhere else. Don't expect any help when it comes to getting ripped off from service as they are not affiliated with any of the John Deere authorized dealer as I was told. You are better off finding a local mechanic to repair your equipment than getting ripped off by an authorized John Deere service center.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Bought a ride on lawn mower August of 2018 from Lowe’s. When I went to start e170 it started but the belt was broken. Called John Deere corporate office. They pretty much ignored me. So I received the another e170, worked until 33 hours, as I put it away for the winter it failed to start, so decided to call the 1800 number. But they refused to help me. They lied to me. The name itself John Deere is no good. It’s just a name. So I spent 2000 dollars and the machine has issues. I move. Called the 1800 number but going back forth. They ended up hanging the phone on me.

They ignored my emails and have not helped me. This company is no good. I would rather buy Toro or Husqvarna Lawn mower. At least I would’ve ended by two of them for the price. I would never did I say never by John Deere. Ohh did I mention the first supervisor that help lied to me apparently has got promoted. Hmm how is that possible, lie to customers and sell defective items that are broken and you get promoted. Wow. Well as long as people like me do not buy this product hunny, I think you going to left without a job in future.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I purchased a John Deere snow plow for my D105 series lawn mower and discovered yesterday after opening the box that it was missing the trip spring bolt and nuts. This is a primary part to make the plow work. Upon calling John Deere they would not honor providing the required part as I purchased this on 9/15/2018. Yesterday was 11/25/2018, the box was not previously opened. I assumed that a 300 plus dollar piece of equipment would have the damn parts included, and if it didn't at least they would provide it. Well they don't and won't. In short don't ever expect all the parts to be included with your purchases from John Deere and also don't expect them to help you out. Very disappointed with such terrible customer support. "It should not even be called that." More like a call center to get rid of you.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

When I bought my house in 2001, I bought the cheapest tractor I could find - a discontinued Murray on sale at Walmart. I used it for 13 years without problems. I thought I was trading up when I bought a Deere 105 in 2013. I was wrong. Broken throttle lever, wheel bearings worn and ruined a wheel spindle. Now the engine won't start. Bad camshaft not releasing compression. Head gasket leaking. And that's after only 155 hours of cutting an ordinary, flat, suburban lawn. I'll never buy a Deere product again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

4 flat tires, poorly placed safety switches, impossible to maintain a level deck, constant starting issues, cracked seats after 4 months WITH a seat cover on it... These tractors consistently rank highly by Consumer Reports, but they must not be testing them for very long. Shortly after my tractor was delivered I began to notice how cheaply it was constructed, which is frustrating given the price. All 4 tires went flat multiple times and I only drove it on grass. Very soft rubber. I had to fill with several bottles of Green Slime. The brake safety switch is under the mower, which makes it prone to coming apart and keeping you from starting your mower. The seat foam is very cheap. I had it covered with a John Deere seat cover and it was parked in a garage. It still cracked apart and required me to cover it with Duct Tape. Doesn't look good on a tractor that is less than a year old.

The "easy-to-level" deck is as described, until it slides back out of level, which is ALWAYS. Thank goodness it is "easy-to-level" because I have to do it once a month or so. There's no reason why it should be falling out of level so often. This is touted as a mower that can handle driving fast and mowing well. You know the commercials. Well, it's not how fast you mow, it's how slow you have to go to make this mow well. Granted, I'm using mulching blades which I'm sure they didn't use for their "fast mowing", but I can only go about 1/4 to 1/2 speed with sharp blades before I start seeing missed cuts. This is even worse when turning. The mower barely cuts at all when you are turning and leaves lines because of how the blades are angled. I have to go over these spots several times to correct the cut.

Overall, I simply wouldn't recommend these tractors, or John Deere. This hurts me to say, because my family has used these for generations. I would sell it and buy a different brand, but all the things that have gone wrong with it will ruin any resale value it might have. Save yourself the frustration and deal with a product that is of higher quality and offered by a company who is trustworthy and actually stands behind their products.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was con into buying the last tractor on the lot. Said my monthly payments would be cheaper but it was a higher price riding lawn mower, Well my monthly payments were suppose to be like 70 a month but I then got a small trailer and that increased my monthly to like 120 something. They were taking 50 out for the two hundred trailer. Well I thought after over 5 months paying I thought the trailer would be paid off, it's not and they charging me higher payments on the riding mower so they rip me off. Not to mention I don't believe the riding mower was new. It had many issues after I bought. I regret buying this and now stuck making high payments on a tractor am not even liking.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My John Deere D110 was purchased only 4 years ago. In the early summer I had to have the head gasket replaced for 4-500 dollars. This is after only 120 hours.

Then, after that service, it became very difficult to start. I took it into the dealer and they told me it was the compression release valve and that it would cost more to fix than it was worth. Needless to say I was not very happy. The engine started just fine before the first service. So why not now??? I will never buy another. Their quality is not what it used to be.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with this mower. Here’s a list. Plastic throttle broke off, not 1 but 2 stators replaced, seat is cracking already, belt that engages blades have had to be replaced already, blades have had to been replaced, rear axle is leaking grease, safety guard where the grass comes out while mowing just fell off, the hood pin where it hinges fell out and made the hood fall off and crack, and now the variation pulley broke and in order to fix that I would have to pull off the wheels and transmission. All in 2.5/years and only 90 hours. I am a maintenance freak...I could only imagine what happens to one not taken care of. No help from John Deere at all!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Very disappointed with my experience with John Deere product and service. Purchased a new John Deere D110 & 60hrs later the compression switch on the camshaft went. 650$ to have the cam replaced or 750$ to have a new motor put in the tractor. This is a known problem with these machines and it's ridiculous to think that something still so new could have such a large issue. The worst part of this is after contacting customer service I was told John Deere will not pay anything to fix the mower because it's 4 months out of warranty. I'm disgusted with John Deere for not stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility for a well known faulty compression switch issue on the 19hp Briggs. I would never purchase a John Deere made ANYTHING ever again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Great lawnmower. Starts every time, rides good, not too bouncy and doesn't hurt my back. But too many thorns. John Deere should put solid tires on them.

John Deere expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

• Best for: Residential homeowners seeking a well-known brand with many product models.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs