3.4/5 (1530 ratings)

About John Deere

John Deere Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Recently lawn mower die while running and upon taking to dealership… they came up with the excuse that due to bad fuel … carburettor went bad and charge so much money… even it’s under warranty…please think of warranty before buying John Deere equipment… they don’t cove 90% stuff …

Original review: July 25, 2022

This mower is the most finicky piece of yard equipment I ever owned. The steering is horrible, the shifter combined with the reverse button and lack of steering capability make you feel like your in a nascar race banging gears every time you need to turn around. The cut quality is garbage. And forget about replacing parts. You can’t find them. The D105 is the red headed stepchild of John Deere products. A complete waste of money. Oh and the resale value is 0. That’s correct. I can’t even get a dealer to take it on trade. Worthless!

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Paid over 3k for a zero turn mower less than two years ago and I am unable to even find a deck belt for it! Their home office was no help as there is no way for them to tell when or if the part will be available.

Original review: June 29, 2022

STAY AWAY! We had great service when we went there to purchase our tractor with nine attachments and a farm boss chainsaw. The chainsaw never worked from the start and it had a broken trigger. I took it in to get repaired via the warranty. It took them over a month to repair the chainsaw, and that was only because I called to inquire why it took so long; they told me it would be a couple days. When I picked it up there was nothing said to me. A few weeks later we were called for the bill of the never working, broken trigger.

We were able to clear that one up with no issues. Then we set up the warranty work of our tractor which we were told that it was part of the contract. However, that was not the case. You get a 10 year warranty, but in order to have that warranty valid you have to get an annual inspection done to the tune of $301 plus. During this inspection, the mechanic found an item that was needing to be fixed that was a warranty item. Instead of fixing it on the spot we were told it needed to be scheduled at a later date.

We called to scheduled the warranty work, and I later received a call to actually set it up. The lady wanted a credit card to do the work, but when I mentioned that it was warranty work she put me on hold and came back with the fact that it was indeed under warranty and did not need a credit card because it was covered. The repairman came out and did the repair and left without anything being said about any bill.

Fast forward seven weeks later and we get a call that we owe money because of the warranty work. When asked why, the guy came up with the fact that the labor and parts were covered and it was a trip charge. However, he totally skipped past the fact that the service person did not perform the repair when he found the discrepancy. We received the itemized bill showing that the labor was in fact not covered so we are paying for trip and service. When we received the annual maintenance, there was no charge for "trip fees."

I am totally disenchanted with James River Equipment, and will no longer consider purchasing anything further from them as was in the works. Their service department is unacceptable! We bought over $26k of equipment, and was considering over $20k on additional equipment. However, the excellent experience of the sales person will not make up for further horrific treatment from their service department.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I Purchased a John Deere S 100. The tractor leaks oil after first use. I tried to register at Deere.com 4 times with no success. I tried to send an email complaint twice and both times I got 'error occurred'. Customer service is unreachable. This sucks. Can't even contact an American company

Original review: May 10, 2022

The e100 John Deere was the first riding mower I purchased. I was very excited about the purchase and really wanted to like this mower. Unfortunately, after 4 years, I had to sell it and can't give it a great review. It's a fun ride, but I had a lot of problems with it. Among other issues, I had a lot of issues with it stalling, and not even just on tall grass. I called their customer support a few times over the years and never found them very helpful. Admittedly, I'm not very handy. If I was, I probably wouldn't have had as many problems with it and some of the issues were probably more my own fault than John Deere's, but if you are like me, I wouldn't recommend this mower.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Dena **. AG-PRO COMPANIES. John Deere 9200 NW 13 Street Gainesville FL 32653. On September 10, 2019 we purchased a John Deere E170 riding mower from AG-PRO, a John Deere dealer. At first, everything was fine. However, with just 85 hours on the hour meter, one of the blade spindles seized and its housing broke. Since the mower was still under warranty, we called the dealer on June 21, 2021 and spoke with Andria. She said we needed to bring the whole mower into the dealer and not just the broken parts. Because we have no way to transport the mower, they would charge us $152.60 to transport the mower to and from their shop. However, since they were very busy, it would be at least four weeks before they would be able to pick it up.

Although Andria said she would call me back to see what she could do, she didn't call back until after I called the John Deere company and spoke with Braden who gave me a case number. However, she still was not able to offer any help. So my 70+ husband with health conditions found a video on YouTube and was able to fix it himself. For $130.00 he bought 3 new spindles and installed them on the mower. When I asked if my case could be given to someone else, Braden was not at all sympathetic and just said no. When I asked for his supervisor he refused to even give me the name. On June 24, 2021 Andria said she would see what the company could do. She never called me back. We sent a letter to the CEO of John Deere, John May. Other than a form letter, I still haven’t heard back from the dealer, Ag-Pro, or the John Deere company. I would not recommend this company. Our next mower will not be a John Deere.

Original review: March 13, 2022

My folks bought an X350 riding mower in the spring of 202I, but I'm the one who uses it to cut their grass and I maintain it for them. I have never used such a poor quality mower in my life (I'm 56). Their previous JD was a P185 that lasted 30 years and still worked, but was long in the tooth. JD's quality is now non existent. The cut quality is pathetic, in part due to the fact the deck has the rigidity of tissue paper. I can literally remove the deck and carry it under one arm with ease....did I mention I'm 56!? They went to a two blade system from three, so it leaves long clippings that often need raking (same cutting frequency as before, so not a case of leaving grass to grow too long). The blades are no longer mounted with bearings, but instead use a cheaper greased shaft arrangement. You can't engage the blades with the brake depressed which is a problem if you're on a bit of a slope.... This compromises operator control.

The RIO switch must be depressed every time you engage reverse or the blades stop. This is easily defeated by shunting the connector, but then you don't have an RIO at all....should have an ignition position like Cub Cadet allowing temporary override. They use plastic idler pullies on the drive belt system....yes plastic. But, the trigger that started this review was my experience with the digital dash display. The display fogged up during operation making it impossible to read (I'll attach a couple pics), so it was sent back to the dealer for replacement. The new display is worse. This apparently is common. The dealer said they took a chance replacing the original because JD's policy is not to replace them until they literally form water droplets inside the display. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They charge a pretty penny I'm sure for this garbage feature that's impossible to read after a few minutes of use.

Fortunately, there's a dummy light for the fuel level. For decades mechanical indicators and dummy lights worked flawlessly...at less cost, but now we get this modern "high tech" garbage. Suffice it to say, the dealer won't replace it again until water droplets actually form under the glass. I'm a former Kubota owner and while I realize they can be more costly, you get superb quality. A few extra dollars for a product that's enjoyable to use, reliable, and long lasting is money well spent in my opinion.

If I was trying to stay in the JD price range, I would consider Cub Cadet (made by MTD) as a better option as I have used one of their larger mowers and was far more impressed. JD's 100 series riding mowers use a quick change oil system that leaves up to 30% of the old oil in the engine which basically makes these disposable mowers. This is the standard of quality JD has adopted. This is also the company that recently bragged about having the highest paid employees in the industry. No surprise there given the prices they charge for their products. Simply put.... STAY AWAY FROM JOHN DEERE! Good luck. Cheers. Note: The first pic is the replacement display (labelled New Display) and the second pic is JD's threshold for replacement (labelled JD Standard).

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I don't drive and own a tractor. I love their riding lawnmower, miss living out in the country, the good old days. Now, living in town is so different... I don't like it. Keep up the good work you guys, take care!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Large deck gets the job done. Mulching large field to lawn, John Deere riding lawnmowers are strong, durable and efficient. Never used the cup holders, but really appreciated adjusting the deck height for different lawn to field work. The headlights were always appreciated as late evening mowing happened a lot in the summer.

John Deere author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

John Deere Company Information