3.3/5 (1533 ratings)

About John Deere

John Deere Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I have a JD L120 lawn tractor with only 240 hours. I use it mainly to mow lawn and occasionally to pull loads with a lawn cart. Now the transaxle is going bad. I realize this is an older unit but it has very low hours. Nowhere did it say in the manual not to pull heavy loads with it. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

Mower delivered from Lowes, worked 20 minutes then died. JD said to contact Lowe's. It is their responsibility or else I can take it to a service center, they can't help me. They also told me to check battery and spark plug. They may be dead? WTF on a brand new mower? Customer service is beyond pathetic, now trying to deal with Lowes. As of now it is sitting in my front yard. Yes, it has gas and oil. What used to be a great American company is now a joke. No wonder China is eating our lunch.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Bought a John Deere riding mower in August 2020. The day it was delivered the engine seized up. Took 4 weeks to replace and by the time we got it back, we were past the 'return' period so when it came back and wouldn't cut in reverse, we were SOL. Fast forward 2 years later with just 16.8 hours on the mower in total and the transmission breaks. Not covered by warranty because a small stick broke the drive belt, which then caused another issue. A small stick. So you're telling that the big bad John Deere tractors we grew up hearing about being so tough can't handle a stick? Cost $1,000 to fix an $1800 mower. So disappointed in the experience I've had with John Deere's products. Selling the mower to mitigate my losses and avoid future expenses and going with a Cub Cadet or something. Anything else.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Recently lawn mower die while running and upon taking to dealership… they came up with the excuse that due to bad fuel … carburettor went bad and charge so much money… even it’s under warranty…please think of warranty before buying John Deere equipment… they don’t cove 90% stuff …

Original review: July 25, 2022

This mower is the most finicky piece of yard equipment I ever owned. The steering is horrible, the shifter combined with the reverse button and lack of steering capability make you feel like your in a nascar race banging gears every time you need to turn around. The cut quality is garbage. And forget about replacing parts. You can’t find them. The D105 is the red headed stepchild of John Deere products. A complete waste of money. Oh and the resale value is 0. That’s correct. I can’t even get a dealer to take it on trade. Worthless!

Original review: July 7, 2022

Paid over 3k for a zero turn mower less than two years ago and I am unable to even find a deck belt for it! Their home office was no help as there is no way for them to tell when or if the part will be available.

Original review: June 29, 2022

STAY AWAY! We had great service when we went there to purchase our tractor with nine attachments and a farm boss chainsaw. The chainsaw never worked from the start and it had a broken trigger. I took it in to get repaired via the warranty. It took them over a month to repair the chainsaw, and that was only because I called to inquire why it took so long; they told me it would be a couple days. When I picked it up there was nothing said to me. A few weeks later we were called for the bill of the never working, broken trigger.

We were able to clear that one up with no issues. Then we set up the warranty work of our tractor which we were told that it was part of the contract. However, that was not the case. You get a 10 year warranty, but in order to have that warranty valid you have to get an annual inspection done to the tune of $301 plus. During this inspection, the mechanic found an item that was needing to be fixed that was a warranty item. Instead of fixing it on the spot we were told it needed to be scheduled at a later date.

We called to scheduled the warranty work, and I later received a call to actually set it up. The lady wanted a credit card to do the work, but when I mentioned that it was warranty work she put me on hold and came back with the fact that it was indeed under warranty and did not need a credit card because it was covered. The repairman came out and did the repair and left without anything being said about any bill.

Fast forward seven weeks later and we get a call that we owe money because of the warranty work. When asked why, the guy came up with the fact that the labor and parts were covered and it was a trip charge. However, he totally skipped past the fact that the service person did not perform the repair when he found the discrepancy. We received the itemized bill showing that the labor was in fact not covered so we are paying for trip and service. When we received the annual maintenance, there was no charge for "trip fees."

I am totally disenchanted with James River Equipment, and will no longer consider purchasing anything further from them as was in the works. Their service department is unacceptable! We bought over $26k of equipment, and was considering over $20k on additional equipment. However, the excellent experience of the sales person will not make up for further horrific treatment from their service department.

Original review: May 28, 2022

I Purchased a John Deere S 100. The tractor leaks oil after first use. I tried to register at Deere.com 4 times with no success. I tried to send an email complaint twice and both times I got 'error occurred'. Customer service is unreachable. This sucks. Can't even contact an American company

Original review: May 10, 2022

The e100 John Deere was the first riding mower I purchased. I was very excited about the purchase and really wanted to like this mower. Unfortunately, after 4 years, I had to sell it and can't give it a great review. It's a fun ride, but I had a lot of problems with it. Among other issues, I had a lot of issues with it stalling, and not even just on tall grass. I called their customer support a few times over the years and never found them very helpful. Admittedly, I'm not very handy. If I was, I probably wouldn't have had as many problems with it and some of the issues were probably more my own fault than John Deere's, but if you are like me, I wouldn't recommend this mower.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Dena **. AG-PRO COMPANIES. John Deere 9200 NW 13 Street Gainesville FL 32653. On September 10, 2019 we purchased a John Deere E170 riding mower from AG-PRO, a John Deere dealer. At first, everything was fine. However, with just 85 hours on the hour meter, one of the blade spindles seized and its housing broke. Since the mower was still under warranty, we called the dealer on June 21, 2021 and spoke with Andria. She said we needed to bring the whole mower into the dealer and not just the broken parts. Because we have no way to transport the mower, they would charge us $152.60 to transport the mower to and from their shop. However, since they were very busy, it would be at least four weeks before they would be able to pick it up.

Although Andria said she would call me back to see what she could do, she didn't call back until after I called the John Deere company and spoke with Braden who gave me a case number. However, she still was not able to offer any help. So my 70+ husband with health conditions found a video on YouTube and was able to fix it himself. For $130.00 he bought 3 new spindles and installed them on the mower. When I asked if my case could be given to someone else, Braden was not at all sympathetic and just said no. When I asked for his supervisor he refused to even give me the name. On June 24, 2021 Andria said she would see what the company could do. She never called me back. We sent a letter to the CEO of John Deere, John May. Other than a form letter, I still haven’t heard back from the dealer, Ag-Pro, or the John Deere company. I would not recommend this company. Our next mower will not be a John Deere.

John Deere author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

John Deere Company Information