3.78/5
Based on 94 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

661 John Deere Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have owned my Z235 John Deere for 3 years. The warranty is only for 2 years. This year the weld that holds the control arm for the mowing deck broke. I called the local Landmark dealer and spoke with the general manager, Roger. Roger stated this usually doesn't happen at all. However, even though this shouldn't have happened it was not under warranty. He would not offer any type of customer service or help for my 3 year old, $3,000 + -, broken John Deere mower.

It is important to understand there was nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening. The part that broke is 100% a manufacturing issue, not a maintenance issue. Poor construction of the unit. Buyer beware! John Deere, Landmark and General Manager Roger do not stand behind their product. More worried about the bottom line. It is very unfortunate that this expensive piece of equipment didn't last and John Deere and their dealers don't stand behind the craftsmanship on their units. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My JD 318 is the very best mower I've ever owned and it has been the most dependable mower I've ever seen. It's horrible they stopped making that model. I would buy another one in heartbeat if still made them.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

This is a company in which I’ve had 3 riding mowers and because of the 2 previous mowers I bought this last one. This one is just really poor quality.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have been more than pleased with the John Deere 665 zero turn mower that we have owned since 2003. We use it to care for three yards that total over 6 acres. Regular maintenance and two new front tires.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My John Deere X340 has been a good mower overall. It cuts nice and has been very dependable. The main drawbacks are that parts are a little pricey and the transmission is sealed so there is no way to service it and no filter to change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: July 31, 2018

We've had multiple lawn tractors over the decades, but this is our first John Deere (model X350). We chose to buy from an authorized (AgPro) dealer - not from one of the box stores, which carry lower end models. Although somewhat more expensive at purchase, we noted the difference in quality immediately with sturdy metal parts where plastic or flimsy metal parts were used on other brands. We know from experience that multiple expensive repairs down the road can quickly erase the "savings" on purchase price.

After several months of use, we have not been disappointed. The mower runs flawlessly, with plenty of power - in forward and reverse. It steers beautifully in and out of tight spaces. Our only criticism at this point is in regards to an accessory we added at the dealership. We had Rhino bars placed to protect the front of the tractor. With these in place, you can not lift the hood to access the engine until you remove the cottage pin to allow the bars to him he down. Other than this we have had a nearly flawless positive experience.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The mower is 10 years old and takes care of a small community's front entrance, the sides of the roads and my one acre. I can't seem to kill this thing and it has seen its share of abuse. Amazing product.

Original review: July 28, 2018

My D105 has done well. It cuts well but sometimes it cuts uneven as I have about 52 hrs on the meter. Have had it 4 about 3 yrs and I'm looking to get a ZT as I bought home with 1 1/2 acre to mow.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I've had John Deere mowers for many years and would never go to another brand. It's a mower you can depend on, it's sturdy, well built, easy on gas, easy to operate and has a sizable gas tank. I have a huge lawn to cut and I can always depend on it. They are expensive but you're paying for quality and you get it.

Original review: July 27, 2018

This one has a power bagger that picks up and pretty much everything and mulches what it picks up. It is 46" so the deck sticks out far enough that is no problem to mow right up close to anything you go by.

Original review: July 27, 2018

It was a good purchase and has been very dependable. I would purchase another but hope I don’t have to for a long time. The machine seems to be well built.

Original review: July 27, 2018

This is a great low-end John Deere LA115 lawn tractor. Makes quick work of the back lawn, with a lot less fatigue as compared to a walk behind mower.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My X475 tractor is one you get from a John Deere dealer and not sold in other stores. It is very heavy duty and like most equipment if you take care of it; it will take care of you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been pass along to 3 dealers on my issue with my D130 Lawn Tractor. When you mow the lawn on number 3 you have a 2" wide strip down your lawn about 7' before the shoot. I had contacted JD main office and two local offices and brought the tractor in two times and still have the same issue. I first time they said the spindle was off and they had to order a new one, so I get it back and back the cut and same issue so when I called them back they said they didnt look at the deck because it was in for something doing with engine??? I told them look at the notes again and read me what I said when I brought this in and they couldn't find it. So the second time they said they couldn't find the issue and said they sharpen my new blades and that look like it fix the problem so I tip the deck over and the blades were never touch. And I still have the same problem.

I called them back again and told them the blades were never sharpen and the grass still has a 2" strip higher and have to make to cuts. Now they said they would get back to me and of course, they didn't and now I had to get extended warranty just to get this junk fix. So far John Deere said it was the blades so I change out the blades 5 time in one year then it was the belt, change that two in one year. So I paid 2,600.00 for a piece of junk. And when I called corporate they keep telling me to see local dealer and now they want to charge me to bring this in new machine. Now I telling everyone that John Deere don't care. They push junk and have ill equip techs. Now I want to sell this and buy a dependable machine. I'm 57 and never had I had to write such a terrible comment and had reach out 6 times in 1 1/2 years.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Our John Deere mower is reliable, easy to maintain and the best looking mower on the market, in my opinion. We purchased it four years and it still looks and runs like it's new.

Original review: July 26, 2018

John Deere units have stood the test of time, they're like a Timex, takes a lickin, but still keeps tickin, and you can still get parts for almost every make & model ever produced...

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought a John Deere 730 riding lawn tractor with a 60 inch deck. The lawn tractor is very smooth running and the deck goes through heavy grass. The lawn tractor always starts and also has power steering. One feature I like is if want go reverse out of a tight space without the deck shutting down, use a hold down push button and the deck doesn't stop. Usually mows 2-3 areas at a time.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have had this mower about 6-7 years with just normal maintenance. I would recommend John Deere to friends and family. It is a good sturdy built mower.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have a JD Z925M with 60" 7 Iron deck, mulch on demand, and wheels. Overall I love this mower. The mulch on demand is great. The wheels ride a little smoother than regular tires and get better traction. The downside is that they will take your yard up if you not careful. The mulch on demand causes a little extra dust. But I would buy this mower again except with regular tires and wheels.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Having 2 Sabres and a John Deere V-Twin prior to this V-Twin, I stayed with JD having all 42" cutting widths, double bagger, dump cart, etc. The biggest issue is the battery compartment, as in the past I had a couple batteries drip acid below which shorted out electrical wiring and ate away at battery boxes... Thus poor engineering but perhaps my last JD?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Same amount of mowing done with this mower as with other mowers. This one did good but not as easy to take care of for a woman and rode rough. Didn't fit my body but good enough to ride it very long.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I bought a John Deere L118 in 2007. Right now it has 375 hours on it. It starts every time, no smoke and a great lawn tractor. I'm thinking of buying a new one, with an easier to use deck, that can switch from mulch to bag easier than I do now. My neighbors have Cub Cadet, nothing but complaints.

Original review: July 25, 2018

This mower I have had for 8 years, starts every time. (I do regular maintenance on it.) Mowing in a breeze, I have almost 2 acres to mow and I am 70 years old.

Original review: July 24, 2018

A real workhorse. Only wish the paint were more durable and didn't spot from bug spray. Very dependable, does everything I ask of it and is always ready to work. The best thing is I live on a farm with 3 other families, all of whom have had an aversion to anything John Deere. They have all gone through several mowers during the time I have had my Deere, and one of the men is now doing my yard with my mower. Think his mind has changed. He is in the market for a new mower. Let's see what he buys.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I bought my John Deere 8 years ago. I have never cut grass before in my life and now I enjoy it because the mower is so easy to use. I cut close to 3 acres in about 2 1/2 hours with no problems.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Great cut, love power steering, but it catches on fire when grass accumulates under the hood. Too many repairs and dangerous. Also, the deck will not raise as high as my other tractor and gets stuck in uneven ground.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My John Deere LX 188 was bought from the local dealer used 12 years ago. It is still going strong, mowing 3 acres of tough weeds, clover and a little grass. It has a Kawasaki engine which runs quiet and smoothly.

Original review: July 24, 2018

John Deere lawn mower engine always starts, using a reliable Briggs and Stratton. It cuts very good, and parts and lube info and oil is readily available. Local store knowledge is good too.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Aching back from hours of mowing - tips easily - can’t get close to edges. Had to have repaired several times. Couldn't mow with regular mower so have to put up with what I have.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I purchased the 38" Sabre (by John Deere) used. Safety features interfered with operator convenience, engine did not last and lots of flat tires in Nevada.

John Deere expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

• Best for: Residential homeowners seeking a well-known brand with many product models.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Moline
IL
www.deere.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business