2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.9/5 (649 ratings)

About John Deere

John Deere Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: June 13, 2021

I bought a John Deere 1025R utility tractor with a mower and a loader attachment six years ago. I have read a few negative reviews and I want to set things straight. This machine is incredible! They told me in the beginning that the tractor holds its value and they weren't lying. I have been the only operator for 948 hours and I love this machine. I had owned two John Deere garden tractors prior so I knew I wouldn't be let down. If you do the yearly service maintenance you just can't go wrong. I mow in the spring, summer and fall and remove snow in the winter. I have completed so many projects and it just keeps on making me a happy owner. Six years and I only had to purchase 1 battery.

I actually cut down a 18"pine tree two years back and didn't plan well where it was going to fall. I had my bucket bracing the direction off the fall. The tree landed square on the tractor. Once it was cut off the machine there was not even 1 scratch. The seat leather is so tuff that it looks brand new after all this time. I polish it and it looks like a showroom display. I work it hard and it has never let me down. For those who purchase strictly by price, you may pay a little more for a J.D. but you will never regret it!

Lee

Montpelier, VT

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

For many years I have used a self propelled Honda Lawn Mower, it did a great job, maintained it and after 25 years of service I decided to buy a rider. Most riders had similar engineering, features and price points. I was drawn to John Deere and eventually purchased one. I have been extremely pleased with its performance and have taken my lawn to the next level. Riders just do a better job, they're more powerful but most importantly they're a whole lot of fun. I actually look forward to mowing my lawn. I highly recommend John Deere "E" Series Lawn Tractors. Their service and support is also a plus and should definitely be considered when making a decision!!!

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

They might be a little more money to get the better models than the ones offered at the big box stores but my LA-125 has performed flawlessly for 14 years! I know people that bought the cheapest basic unit and they didn’t hold up. I have a neighbor that’s got a Toro 24 hp. Rider and has had good luck with his.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

This is the first time in my 70 years of life that I’ve needed a riding lawnmower. I knew nothing about them. I started with Consumer Reports and then consulted some friends that I explained my needs to. They were a great help in referring me to a salesman in my area. I explained to him what I needed and he guided my sale. When my lawnmower was delivered, the delivery man spent an hour with me going over the lawnmower and how to safely use it on my property. I so appreciated all the information he gave me. Now it’s just fun for me to use and so easy. I would recommend John Deere to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

When we purchased our first John Deere riding mower, we had no idea it would last for 29 years! For about the first 8 years it did commercial mowing, then it became our personal mower. Hoped to get it to 30 years - but we finally had to buy a new one. I forget the exact age, but this "new" one is at least 10 years old and still going strong! As they truthfully say, "John Deere is built to last!"

Original review: June 25, 2021

I bought a 45hp John Deere with front end loader & 6' rear pull mower. It arrived with 2.7 hours on it. It goes all dark screen, when I turn key to crank. Turning to crank it all the way to the right, I keep twisting slightly left and right a few times, till I get a crank sound. At first I thought the battery was drained so I tried jumping it, it didn't sound like it was struggling to crank or slow charge. Now I realize it's not a drained battery, I believe it's the ignition. I contacted the dealer and told them of it. Dealer wants to charge a service call fee to fix a defect on a $27,000 tractor I bought from them. So now I have a defective tractor sitting on my yard, that won't start, due to ignition problems, with only 5.9 hours on it.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I bought a John Deere zero turn mower model Z375R. The cost $3495 from Home Depot. The mower had bad battery. On John Deere website it states a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. However when I contacted the servicing dealer I was told on batteries and tires it's a 6 months warranty. I bought the mower on 09/18/20. The battery is less than 9 months old. After speaking with AG Pro which is their dealer and Braden John Deere at 1(888)522-1177. I discover this is not the place to do business with. There is no customer support to ** people who purchase their product.

I rated their mower and support less than at a 1 star. There is nowhere I could find in writing that there is only 6 months warranty on tires and batteries. I admit due to my busy schedule I did contact them in 6 months. However every company I have bought anything you a 1 year warranty on all parts and at least 90 days on labor. Buyer beware of this company and product.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I recently made the grave error of buying a John Deere ride-on mower. This product is too fragile to be effective. The product has a pattern of failing to engage the blade, and then getting it to a dealer to be repaired is a time-consuming headache. It's essentially an expensive piece of junk. John Deere products are, in my experience and so it seems to me, shoddy, poor quality and simply a bad investment. I will never purchase John Deere products again, and would warn all that their products are simply inadequate to even simple tasks. Toro is much better and the hand mower I bought second hand is still going strong, while my expensive John Deere ride-on mower is simply gathering dust as it is a WEAK PRODUCT. Customer Service for John Deere is simply **. If John Deere wants to discuss their god-awful products with me, they can email me at **. If you are considering buying a John Deere product, DON'T!

Original review: June 12, 2021

After my John Deere caught on fire and I had a horrible experience with the head of John Deere, taking it to the top, I read numerous articles that my model’s engine was faulty and others had the same experience. They REFUSED my money back, it was BRAND NEW and I’m still paying for it!!! Check the real reviews. These are dangerous machines and the head of John Deere knows this and doesn’t care!

Original review: June 11, 2021

I purchased a D125 lawn tractor in March 2017, The purchase $1955.00. I have less than 109 hours on the lawn tractor. I have done all of their recommended service requirements. in 2021 I started having steering problems. I took it to the local dealer and it’s going to cost approximately $450 to repair. I called John Deere‘s customer service explaining to them that I have taken care of the tractor, I have less than 109 hours on The tractor and I would like them to stand behind the product that they advertise nothing runs like a deer. They quickly told me that their warranty is for two years or 110 hours.

I again explained I understand but I have taken Good care of the tractor meeting all of the recommended service requirements, and for a tractor to cost approximately 25% of the original purchase price in less than four years does not meet their advertisement of nothing runs like a deer. The response was, "We can’t help you." So this is why am am writing a review. If their tractor starts falling apart with only 109 hours on it I hate to think what’s going to happen in the future. I will never buy another John Deere product. I told them that and I advise that no one else supports a company that says their product runs like a deer, in fact The statement should say nothing runs like a deer when it’s dead. Don’t waste your money on John Deere.

John Deere author review by ConsumerAffairs

The John Deere Company is the oldest lawn care company with a 175-year history. This company's distinctive green and yellow riding mowers offer homeowners feature-rich options for their lawn care needs.

• Innovative designs: This company has pioneered many lawn equipment innovations.

• 5-acre mowing: Powerful, high-speed mowers are equipped to handle extensive lawns.

• 9 MPH speed: A fast mower cuts down on lawn maintenance time.

• Residential focus: This riding mower line focuses on consumer-grade needs.

• Implements: The attachments and implements expand the John Deere riding mowers' functionality, such as a tiller to prepare soil for planting and a box scraper for yard digging.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team