2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.9/5 (225 ratings)

About Snapper

Snapper Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Snapper?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Snapper?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I bought my Snapper 23/42 riding mower in the late fall of 2016. I was wanting a mower that was reliable. Since that time I had it in multiple shops so many times I can't remember. The spindles are always going out and I've also lost several belts to breakage. I'm only mowing an 1 acre yard once a week. The last time the spindle started to go out after I mowed the grass when it was higher than normal due to extra rain. This is only my 3rd riding mower since 1991 and this one is the worst for the money. I bought this mower from a dealer instead of the mowers at big box stores since I figured those would be built with cheaper parts but I got took on this Snapper SPX2342.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

New Mower purchased 4/15. Has not worked since mid July. Today is 9/2 "Dealer is waiting for Parts". Supposed bolt broke, mower dead in water. I am left swinging in the wind. I have called multiple times.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I have had 3 Snappers so far and loved them. The first lasted 10 years, 2nd 8 years and the 3rd 9 and still running. You need to change oil every other hard use and don't forget to grease and oil every point needed.

Original review: July 29, 2021

My old Snapper was so good it moved dirt and it lasted years doing a grand job costing me very little maintenance and it rode very comfortable and I wish I had never given it away. They just don't make them like they use to anymore.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I've owned Snapper riders since 1975 and rarely had an issue. The Model 210 I recently purchased was discontinued after a year because of multiple issues- at least that has been my experience. Constantly losing gears, won't climb small hills, very loud, unable to clean mower deck. Muffler came loose after 1 week and lost 1st and 2nd gears after 2 months.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I am now retired, but I have used a Snapper both rider and push. I started cutting grass for myself and later a few elderly friends. I chose Snapper because it had plenty of power and durability. My choice in the line was a self propelled and a rear bagger. I also chose a riding mower with twin rear baggers, the mower had great suction, I could even drop the deck down and clean the sidewalks.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

In regards to the widely known Snapper brand its reputation for reliability and quality products is only exceeded by the exceptional and professional level of customer service and support. While price is not the lowest it is important to remember that you get what you pay for.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Have had my Snapper commercial riding mower for a few years now. First in Florida then moved to Virginia. When we first got it the sealed transmission failed just before the warranty ended and had to be replaced, that being said I am not a fan of the sealed tranny because you cannot preform regular maintenance on it, however after 7 years of a good amount of use it is still does the job. The deck is needing to be replaced and will be looking for a new mower in the spring to keep up with our acreage of mowing.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

Specs note max cutting height at 3.5". Mine is set at 3 1/16" maximum. In hot dry temps one needs to mow at least at 3.5". I suspect the deck hanger on the front can be adjusted to make this better, but:

1. The dealer said to just put more air in the tires. He did not know about this adjustment. He is an authorized dealer.
    2. Chat with Snapper did not help.
    3. I just submitted a second email on their site. The first, submitted about 5 business days ago remains unanswered. August 17, 2020.

4. The instruction manuals could not be worse. Frequently the drawing for English instructions.... when you can locate them, is on a different page than the printed instructions. Impossible to find anything of value. Just wing it I guess.

I'm going to give the deck hanger an adjustment. [If this works, the set up from the dealer/factory was incorrect.] Most frustrating. If you mow at 3 1/16" or lower, the upside is that this seems to be very well built and should give me years of good service .... mowing lower than I desire. Like a car that will last forever, going a max of 45mph. Geez. If I get the deck to mow at 3.5", per specs, this is a 6 star mower, and I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Last month I purchased the model number listed above in the title from Walmart. I was reluctant due to the price but thought I would give Snapper a try. Shame on me! I should have stuck with my instincts and spent a little more to get a better product. Two main issues. First, the Line Dispenser attachment is ridiculous. It is the most complicated and time stacking process I have ever experienced to refill the line. The owners manual is laughable and offers no good way to do it. Better have lots of tools ready, a few people to help and about an hour of time on your hands.

Second issue, and most importantly was the Snapper “Customer Service Team”. I am putting quotes around it because they couldn’t have been any less helpful. I have only had the product a month and one of the o rings came off the line dispenser. Shouldn’t be a big deal. A part that costs 25 cents. Not to Snapper Customer Service. After being on hold for 20 minutes Francesca and then her supervisor Nick said it wasn’t their issue and I needed to buy a new dispenser or take it back to Walmart for them to handle. I will do that and exchange for a product that the manufacturer will stand behind. This is my last Snapper purchase. Ted

Snapper author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Snapper was founded in 1894 as a lumber industry company. Its name comes from their first lawn mower design, which reminded the inventor of a snapping turtle.

• Riding mower variety: Snapper creates zero-turn, rear engine and tractor-style riding mowers.

• Flexible yard size: A broad model selection accommodates small to massive yards.

• Debris management: A two-stage system handles the debris going through the engine.

• Hydrostatic transmission: This transmission type is similar to a car, providing easy steering controls.

• Speed shifting: Quick shifting gives the homeowner the responsive control they want.

Snapper Company Information