2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.59/5

Snapper Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Last month I purchased the model number listed above in the title from Walmart. I was reluctant due to the price but thought I would give Snapper a try. Shame on me! I should have stuck with my instincts and spent a little more to get a better product. Two main issues. First, the Line Dispenser attachment is ridiculous. It is the most complicated and time stacking process I have ever experienced to refill the line. The owners manual is laughable and offers no good way to do it. Better have lots of tools ready, a few people to help and about an hour of time on your hands.

Second issue, and most importantly was the Snapper “Customer Service Team”. I am putting quotes around it because they couldn’t have been any less helpful. I have only had the product a month and one of the o rings came off the line dispenser. Shouldn’t be a big deal. A part that costs 25 cents. Not to Snapper Customer Service. After being on hold for 20 minutes Francesca and then her supervisor Nick said it wasn’t their issue and I needed to buy a new dispenser or take it back to Walmart for them to handle. I will do that and exchange for a product that the manufacturer will stand behind. This is my last Snapper purchase. Ted

Original review: June 8, 2019

I purchased a brand new hedge trimmer in March. I live in Illinois and it’s really cold here I’m March so I put this in the heated garage. I went to use it and straight out of the box the battery is flashing red. So I contacted Snapper. They said I had to have my receipt. Unfortunately we had just moved and my husband lost the receipt. So I sent photos of this new hedge trimmer. You can tell if something has been used or not so they agreed to send me another battery after I had to threaten to do a YouTube video and my son is on the radio so he will warn consumers not to purchase snapper products with a 60v battery.

So they sent me another battery and it is dead too. I emailed them again over a week now and nothing. This is the worst customer service I have ever received. Brand new out of the box DOA. I will never purchase Snapper again! We ordered a new Echo because we have many of their products and they actually work. Maybe after a month of trying I’ll finally get the hedges trimmed.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I purchased the 33” professional riding mower 2 yrs ago. It has been a great disappointment when compared to previous products. First, the carburetor flooded the crankcase requiring installation of an in-line shutoff valve. Second, both front wheels fell off requiring replacement of the wheel bearings. Third, the steering gear failed requiring a 500 dollar repair. All in all, Briggs & Stratton has ruined what was a great product.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Told me my warranty was VOID because I CUT too much grass. The deck is gouging the lawn. Asked Snapper. They referred me to who I got it from, told by them I have to pay them for a new deck even though it was still under warranty. Because I used the mower... Snapper is a piece of expensive junk and should be sued.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

54" deck was barely held in place by two tiny bolts. One broke, so I oversized them. The hood had little tabs where it was bolted together. Vibration broke the tabs, so I brazed the hood together. Should have been made of one piece. No wheel bearings... just plastic sleeves that wore out... just days before the warranty expired. Too many corners were cut instead of grass.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Snapper?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have used this push mower just a month when the right rear wheel is just about falling off. It is a 4wd self propel mower. I bought it at Walmart. It was just 4 days past the 30, so they would not refund the money for the mower... I won't buy another major item from Walmart. Not buy another Snapper.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I bought a Snapper rider lawn mower new July 2015. He ran ok. But in April 2016 it started to now move on small incline and on flat ground. Took it back to Missouri to El-Mel. They said nothing wrong when they drove it. Took it home and back again. Not doing right again so they said they put a new engine in back and my husband said it needs new belt so they did that. July 2017 steering wheel came off. I made them come and get it and bring it back plus I said it wasn't moving hardly at all. Now 2018 the same thing but out of warranty so I have to PAY to have the belt put on again!!! They are a piece of crap and that's describing it nicely!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

First summers use was in dealers shop for 6 weeks because factories assemble left out important part which affected blade movement, belts often break causing downtime with trip to dealers shop.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Bought this mower used (11 years old) was well taken care of and works like new. Very good brand. When this one quits I will buy a new one without hesitation.

Original review: July 23, 2018

It's like having a Mini Bush Hog almost indestructible, I have always liked the Snapper Comet Riding Mower!!! Also, it is easy to work on if you have a mishap.

Not sure about Snapper?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Riding Mower for you.

Snapper expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Snapper was founded in 1894 as a lumber industry company. Its name comes from their first lawn mower design, which reminded the inventor of a snapping turtle.

• Riding mower variety: Snapper creates zero-turn, rear engine and tractor-style riding mowers.

• Flexible yard size: A broad model selection accommodates small to massive yards.

• Debris management: A two-stage system handles the debris going through the engine.

• Hydrostatic transmission: This transmission type is similar to a car, providing easy steering controls.

• Speed shifting: Quick shifting gives the homeowner the responsive control they want.

• Best for: Residential homeowners who are buying a riding lawn mower and want variety from a single company.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team