Yardman

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My sister in law bought this riding mower at Walmart 3 years ago. Her husband started in using it. When he went out to start it would not start. You had to charge the battery every time. They thought it needed a new battery. They bought a new battery and it still did the same thing. Then the starter caused all of trouble. This has went on ever since they bought this lawn mower. My brother had just passed away June 1st 2016. Is this lawn mower been recalled back. This the number on the back BMTDPNHEQNC1. It has overhead valves. It is a Yard Man MTD 7 Speed 500cc 18 Hp SaeJ1940. Thank you.

Yard Man 21-inch self propelled 550E 140cc - Purchased this lawnmower from Home Depot in Nov. 2015, used it one time and it will not start since then. I have the warranty but was told by a retail specialist that I would still have to pay to get machine repaired!?! I have used brand new gasoline, checked the oil level and still no luck with it starting. I have not been able to use it since and have been paying to get my lawn mowed. What a piece of crap machine. I will be filing as many complaints as possible with any agency that will listen!

Purchased an MTD Yardman riding mower 2014 model, wide deck, 20 hp. single cylinder, without the PTO blade engage. Researched the engine, parts availability and read lots of reviews on this model. Cut was wider than I wanted but was the smallest with the 20 hp engine. Purchased from Tractor Supply Company. It was set up properly by TSC, had gas, and was detailed on operation of the lawn tractor. Purchased the grass grinder blade. One and a half cutting seasons later I am pleased to report the Yardman is operating as designed. Some reviewers stated: 1) Why didn’t they provide a switch to turn off the lights? Well, while it’s in warranty, I simply removed the bulbs.

After warranty I will install a cut off switch. 2) When making the sharp cut turn (R/L makes no difference) the wheels just push against my soil. I simply slow down when making that sharp turn. Give up speed for the wonderful ability to make sharp turns (no backups) and nice circles around trees. 3) Engine problems? Not a one for me. Blow off the mower and engine each use. Keep an eye on oil level and condition, look for leaks and visual changes in engine metal. Always burn non-ethanol gas, including a gas additive, and never buy more fuel than I can use in 20 days. Always drop speed to minimum and give this one cylinder time to slow down prior to turning it off.

This is my second riding mower within forty years. Second MTD product. Still have my first MTD garden tractor. Twenty hp. B&S twin, with gears to shift, 3-point hitch and it looks brand new. Doesn’t cut grass very well. It was created to establish and maintain a suburban gentlemen’s garden rather than mow grass. Why the Yardman? I was offered $15,000 for the MTD. Appears to be a collector item. So I parked it in the garage with the collector can and motorcycles. Recommendation? Get the single cylinder, Yardman, wide deck mower. Take care of it and it should last you many years.

Purchased a Yardman self-propelled mower. It worked fine the first season. Now, the belt constantly slips off the pulley at the back end. Beyond that, you have to half the mower apart to get to the belt. Not happy with this poorly designed piece of crap.

I had prepared my yardman engine with a Tecumseh gas piston engine (model LEV120 - 362001A). My son was mowing the lawn and suddenly it stopped working. I inspected it and notice a chunk of the metal collar at the bottom that holds the blade to the engine had broken off, even though my son did not hit any hard object. I then took the lawnmower apart figuring mechanically terrible had happen. Well, I found the connecting rod on the gas piston, had broken into pieces. And then I found the chassis (main engine body surrounding the piston well and gears) had fractured something terrible and fracture was clearly visible from the outside. So, this is a serious fracture on the main body chassis, thru no fault of my one. I want a equivalent lawnmower with remaining warranty. I have the engine sticker and can show visual proof of the fractures and I have all parts still. 18 May 2014, Oklahoma city, ok.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

Does Consumer Affairs ever get a response to their complaints from the business that they are having a problem with?

Yardman 760-770 lawn tractor that has flawed blade engagement system. There is severe loss of motion resulting in oscillations. PTO snapped and the dealer blames me for the problem. That’s great. Shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

I just wanted to respond to all those who apparently believe that Yard-Man rider tractors are no good. I purchased a model 145W834P401 in November 1995. It has provided outstanding service ever since. I have modified Craftsman 41 wide snow blower and scoop for the front of it and use them far beyond their rated capabilities with this tractor. I also use a 48 dozer plow with it. The only thing I have done to the machine is to replace the drive belt once and then last week I replaced the carburetor. My neighbors have gone through a number of tractors since I purchased this one and they have had much trouble with theirs. My next tractor will in fact be a Yard-Man.

I purchased the Yardman MTD 42" Deck Hydrostatic Riding Mower. I have to replace the deck and drive belts four times since I purchased in June 2004. I just took it to the repair shop and paid $235. And after 10 minutes of cutting, the deck belt came off, and went under the blades and was cut in two. I paid $1250 for this riding mower from Walmart and did not get the original manual. Customer Service offers no help to alleviate the problem. There is a need to increase the quality of their products, and make their customer service department more customer friendly. They don't care about the customer.

I bought a new Yardman walk-behind lawn mower from Walmart as a backup for my old mower. Since it was a backup, I did not take it out of the box until two months after I bought it. I carefully read the owner's manual, carefully followed the instructions, put in fresh clean gas into the tank and tried to mow my lawn. It ran very poorly. I stopped mowing after about fifteen minutes and contacted the local service center and explained my problem. They were very sympathetic but said that it was a fuel problem and was not covered by MTD. I had to pay to have the mower repaired and MTD said they will not stand behind their product because "it's a fuel problem". I bought another mower (not made by MTD) and used gas from the same can until it was gone and had no problem. My John Deere runs just fine.

At the beginning of the summer I purchased the MTD Yard Man Self Propelled Lawn Mower at Wal-Mart in Northport. On the third use of the lawn mower the self propelled option no longer worked. Now, the lawn mower will not even stay running long enough to cut the yard.

Bought MTD Yardman Self Propelled Walk behind lawnmower, model#12A569q755. Used once, self propelling mechanism quit working. Returned to store for replacement. Another customer was there returning the same lawnmower, for the same reason, self propelled mechanism quit working. This was her second time to the store for a return on the same lawnmower. I received another new one. Used 3 times and self propelling mechanism quit working again.

I purchased a Yardman MTD 18.5 HP, 46 DECK MODEL13S607H354, SER#1C070H20560 from wal-mart on 05/03/00. I have a little over an acre of lawn that requires mowing through the season. I just discoveed that the axles have worn out the transmission housings to the extent that the right axle is expossed. I can stick my little finger under the axle, the left axle has a 3/16 space under it.

I contacted my local repair shop and he didn't believe my discription of the situation, when I convinced him that what I discribed was correct he said in all his years of doing repair he has never seen this condition. He tells me that the transmission case will need replaced. I have a 42 Murray thst is 12 years old tha is still going strong that is used to mow around a flying field with a little more area, all it need is oil, blades and belts. why did't the yardman last longer?? Do you stand behind it or far away.

Sorry, but I can't find your or any other troubleshooting sections, and I need help... Grass is shooting out of the left side of the deck while cutting and it leaves a trail about three inches wide??? (The blades are about four weeks old & nothing is plugged up. Both blades are working.) Just started doing this three days ago. Can't afford to take it to a repair shop and it's driving me nuts... Please if you would, help me out with this problem that I seem to have caught.

I have a Yardman. I have had to constantly replace belts on this mower since summer of 2002 when it was purchased. I had a MTD mower prior to this one and it was a much better machine than the new one. It lasted for 8 years without a problem. This one I paid $1799.00 for and now that it is almost two years old it caught on fire today. It maid a popping noise and burst into flames. It caught the grass on fire as well as a wooden fence. There is nothing left of it but 2 rear tires, the hood, the axle and the cutting deck. Does anyone know who to talk to about that. I'm pretty sure the warranty is out but I feel that something like this should get some attention. It has made that popping noise since it was new, I was told it was nothing. Apparently, it was something. (It's like a backfire)

It was extremely traumatizing, I wasn't in an area that a water hose reached to so I had to run back and forth with buckets of water that didn't put a dent in the fire. After my 4th bucket the gas tank exploded. If we hadn't had considerable rain it would have been a huge disaster.

I own 2 riding mowers (Yardmans). Both of them have transaxle problems and have not been abused - 1 hydro 1-gear drive very poor workmanship - design!

I purchased a 17.5 hp - 46 inch MTD Yardman 04/06/2000 at $1249.00. From the start it had problems. The front wheels were so out of alignment, it was dangerous to mow on a slight incline. It did not want to mow straight, but rather steer downhill with no way of correcting the mowing pattern. Also, the lawnmower has 5 mowing heights, and the only ones that are usable are the top two, otherwise the lawn is severely scalped. That wasn't a big problem, unless you wanted to mow high.

I complained about this lawnmower to MTD, soon after I got it, and all they tried to do was reassure me the wheels on the front were not supposed to be aligned straight. After much discussion, they finally agreed to have it looked at. This did not make a difference for but a short time. The end of the mowing season was drawing to a close, and obviously the problem did not go away in the winter months. I complained again about the problem. And you know, "the wheels are not meant to be straight". Anyone that mows grass knows when the wheels are not like they are supposed to be. Not getting much further this year, after complaining many more times, I could finally have it looked at again. The dealership said the plate on the toe end would probably break in a year or so.

He did some adjustments on the machine and it did get along okay until this year. Obviously, it is now out of warranty, and the plate on the toe end broke. I called MTD and talked to customer service again, and the only comment was it is out of warranty, it is out of warranty. We talked for about 12-15 minutes. I tried to convince them that there has always been a problem with this mower, and has not been fixed completely and really expected them to take care of their customers. "It is out of warranty." I feel we have a right to expect a good product for that amount of money. I got a lemon, and I understand that can happen. But I do believe it should have been taken care of.

Bought an MTD Yard-Man 400 series string trimmer at local Wal-Mart. Assembled & started. String head would not turn. Boy was I not happy! Made 30-mile round trip to return. Wal-Mart was very apologetic. Exchanged for another that works ok so far. MTD web site will not allow complaints. All they want is to sell you another piece of poor quality equipment.

Yardman Company Profile