2. Homeowners

Yard-Man

Yard-Man
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

Yard-Man Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yard-Man?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Everyone that was referred didn't know what they were doing; didn't do the type of work I requested; or Over charged. No one assembles plastic sheds. Yard-Man wanted $50 to mow small yard; Man to Haul-Away debris was way overpriced; Landscaping man over priced and didn't finish the job. My project was to remove a wooden base from a metal shed. Then prep the area for a 8x10 plastic shed. The area was designed and ready for shed. Shed man bailed on me at last minute. Next "Qualified" person tried to redesign area, put the shed together wrong, built a wooden platform out of untreated wood. That was a waste of money. The project is unfinished and a disaster. I need manpower to finish the job and nobody that Angie's List referred does the work that I need.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought a brand new Yard-Man Mower, worked fine for a few months then just stopped starting. Supposed 2 year warranty but good luck contacting the company in any way for their help and there are no authorized repair places anywhere. Another example of a company that makes promises they can't keep. No email, or any other way to contact them except to put you on hold for 30 minutes and no one ever answers. So you literally just waste time and money. Do not purchase any of their products. Go with a real brand like Honda or Dewalt or anything that actually has credibility.

I made the mistake of trying to save a buck in the beginning and end up flushing money down the toilet on this piece of junk lawn mower. I wouldn't mind any of if the company answered the phone or had an email you could reach out to them. But clearly they shied themselves from having to deliver any kind of customer service because they know how bad their products are. This review might seem over the top but it's just frustrating to waste money. Choose a different brand.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I bought a YM21CS TRIMMER June 9, 2018 directly from MTD. Not more than 10 hours use and cutting head is bad. Says 2 yr. warranty but calling their customer service that part is not covered. Basically a piece of junk that the parts cost almost as much as a new trimmer.

Original review: March 14, 2018

My family purchased an MTD 46" 20HP Kohler Courage riding mower from Menards early summer of 2016. It ran excellent for the first year of use. Unfortunately, the second season (last summer) the deck belt kept slipping off. I took it to a certified MTD repair shop near my cabin in Princeton, WI. They said it was a design flaw, and that the only thing I could do is to keep prying the deck belt tensioner up. Now, the belt flies off every time I disengage the deck. I tried prying the tensioner up, but it simply burnt the belt right off of it.

Now, I have to buy another $50 belt to have fly off every time I turn the blades off. I would never recommend this product. My family spent over a thousand dollars on a machine that only lasted one summer and has 41 hours on the unit. I'll add some pictures when I can get up to my place to show how the belt is effectively destroyed. I'm hoping MTD will take this machine back and prorate my money towards the purchase of a machine that won't have these kinds of issues. It's not fun to have to ask your neighbor if you can keep borrowing his lawn mower because mine is always breaking down.

Original review: June 25, 2016

My sister in law bought this riding mower at Walmart 3 years ago. Her husband started in using it. When he went out to start it would not start. You had to charge the battery every time. They thought it needed a new battery. They bought a new battery and it still did the same thing. Then the starter caused all of trouble. This has went on ever since they bought this lawn mower. My brother had just passed away June 1st 2016. Is this lawn mower been recalled back. This the number on the back BMTDPNHEQNC1. It has overhead valves. It is a Yard Man MTD 7 Speed 500cc 18 Hp SaeJ1940. Thank you.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Yard Man 21-inch self propelled 550E 140cc - Purchased this lawnmower from Home Depot in Nov. 2015, used it one time and it will not start since then. I have the warranty but was told by a retail specialist that I would still have to pay to get machine repaired!?! I have used brand new gasoline, checked the oil level and still no luck with it starting. I have not been able to use it since and have been paying to get my lawn mowed. What a piece of crap machine. I will be filing as many complaints as possible with any agency that will listen!

Original review: July 24, 2015

Purchased an MTD Yardman riding mower 2014 model, wide deck, 20 hp. single cylinder, without the PTO blade engage. Researched the engine, parts availability and read lots of reviews on this model. Cut was wider than I wanted but was the smallest with the 20 hp engine. Purchased from Tractor Supply Company. It was set up properly by TSC, had gas, and was detailed on operation of the lawn tractor. Purchased the grass grinder blade. One and a half cutting seasons later I am pleased to report the Yardman is operating as designed. Some reviewers stated: 1) Why didn’t they provide a switch to turn off the lights? Well, while it’s in warranty, I simply removed the bulbs.

After warranty I will install a cut off switch. 2) When making the sharp cut turn (R/L makes no difference) the wheels just push against my soil. I simply slow down when making that sharp turn. Give up speed for the wonderful ability to make sharp turns (no backups) and nice circles around trees. 3) Engine problems? Not a one for me. Blow off the mower and engine each use. Keep an eye on oil level and condition, look for leaks and visual changes in engine metal. Always burn non-ethanol gas, including a gas additive, and never buy more fuel than I can use in 20 days. Always drop speed to minimum and give this one cylinder time to slow down prior to turning it off.

This is my second riding mower within forty years. Second MTD product. Still have my first MTD garden tractor. Twenty hp. B&S twin, with gears to shift, 3-point hitch and it looks brand new. Doesn’t cut grass very well. It was created to establish and maintain a suburban gentlemen’s garden rather than mow grass. Why the Yardman? I was offered $15,000 for the MTD. Appears to be a collector item. So I parked it in the garage with the collector can and motorcycles. Recommendation? Get the single cylinder, Yardman, wide deck mower. Take care of it and it should last you many years.

Original review: April 5, 2015

Purchased a Yardman self-propelled mower. It worked fine the first season. Now, the belt constantly slips off the pulley at the back end. Beyond that, you have to half the mower apart to get to the belt. Not happy with this poorly designed piece of crap.

Original review: May 18, 2014

I had prepared my yardman engine with a Tecumseh gas piston engine (model LEV120 - 362001A). My son was mowing the lawn and suddenly it stopped working. I inspected it and notice a chunk of the metal collar at the bottom that holds the blade to the engine had broken off, even though my son did not hit any hard object. I then took the lawnmower apart figuring mechanically terrible had happen. Well, I found the connecting rod on the gas piston, had broken into pieces. And then I found the chassis (main engine body surrounding the piston well and gears) had fractured something terrible and fracture was clearly visible from the outside. So, this is a serious fracture on the main body chassis, thru no fault of my one. I want a equivalent lawnmower with remaining warranty. I have the engine sticker and can show visual proof of the fractures and I have all parts still. 18 May 2014, Oklahoma city, ok.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2010

Does Consumer Affairs ever get a response to their complaints from the business that they are having a problem with?

Yard-Man Company Information