1.86/5

139 Kubota Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 7, 2019

I purchased my zg227 from the prior owner of our property. First let me say I love the mower, or should I say until this spring I loved my mower. Unlike last year, as I mow, grass, dirt, etc. rolls over the front of the carriage and through the brake pedal hole. When I finish mowing, my clothes and I are coated in a thick layer of whatever was on the ground. As I said, this did not happen last year. The only change I have made to the mower is replacing the front tires with same size as was originally on the mower. Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations as to how to correct this situation.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Updated on 7/5/2019: This is a follow-up to my post of July 4 concerning coolant overheating on my Kubota ZD1211 mower. Surfing the internet I found a comment from somebody about blowing the radiator off with compressed air. Realizing the mower was 3 years old it sounded like a good idea. Before I started mowing this morning I use compressed air to blow the dust off the radiator coils and fins. Mowed as long as I did yesterday in the same composition of grass. The mower stayed as cool as a cucumber the entire time. Looking back it now seems like an elementary and simple solution, but at the time it was not obvious. Once again I have proven you don't know everything and you are never too old to learn.

Original Review: I currently mow 8-10 acres with my Kubota ZD1211 (approx 170 hrs on the meter) at a mower height of 5". Grass was moderately high (approx 8-10"). After 3 1/2 hrs (and maybe 3-4 acres) today the high temp alarm sounded. I immediately disconnected the cutter and reduced motor speed to a fast idle. I drove to the barn (approx 400 ft away) and shut the engine down. The coolant level and radiator screens were ok during pre-start maintaining checks. Before the next mow I will sharpen the blades and air pressure clean the radiator. Any comments on my actions after the alarm sounded?? Also any suggestions on how to prevent overheating? Other than this instance, I have been totally pleased with my ZD1211. It is a grass cutting monster that has served me well.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Gears grind when changing (thought unsynchronized transmission would change with less grinding). Power good. Fuel use good. Hard to fill with fuel using fuel cans, 25 miles from source. Hood not easy to access engine area. 350 hrs in 5 1/2 yrs moving hay rolls, mostly bush hogging. Started overheating last spring appeared to be loose hose, no such luck! Radiator was separating between plastic top tank and coils. 545 dollars for me to replace. I can buy a dozer radiator for that. I thought M-F parts were high. No more Kubotas for me. Burn me once your fault, burn me twice my fault.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Before I tell you all that this BX2370 Kubota tractor has done for me I'll mention the negatives. Negatives: Smallish front tire. 3 tires later (but wait till you hear what I put the tractor through!). And now for the real negative (as the problem front tires might just be my fault as I'll state later down the review). The real negative for me is that this tractor wants to tip over. In fact, if it were not for the under-the-belly mower I'm certain that I would be telling a different story. So in short, wheelbase is too narrow.

Now for the overwhelming awesome positive comments. Upon getting the BX2370 new, we had a warranty (so I am not saying I went crazy trying to get some of that warranty service... which never happened), HOWEVER... I dug with the front bucket approximately 3 1/2 feet to 4 feet in the ground over 70 feet in length!!! Then I dug a pond for the chickens and a catch basin to drain the garden better and then we filled up our fishbowl large front lawn (somebody else brought the dirt for free in numerous loads and still going strong... almost done out there).

Since the dirt came from a hospital that is being torn down there's some HUGE boulders and a lot of 6" stone averaging about 16" long (some smaller from breakage), anyway that BX2370 is no joke of a tractor. There were a couple of months in the wintertime that it was not starting until a heater was placed under tarp, but all in all, it otherwise ALWAYS starts RIGHT UP! GRRRuuummba! I even had a customer of mine (who keeps the maintenance on a church) move me and tractor over there to move a large pile of dirt to another location over 50 or more feet from the pile.

I love this Kubota. The drive-over mower attachment is not so loved though. I'm kind of old so although the mid-section mower may do a nice job, the new tractor (B2650) is ordered with a rear finish mower for it's less things to remember. Here's a true story: My mother was up from Florida during the time of the purchase of the Kubota. Our neighbor had purchased a new mower also but I can't remember the maker (not Kubota). His unit started having problems about 2 months ago.

Original review: July 25, 2018

This mower is a 26hp 3cyc diesel that gets better mileage than 8 got on my old 18 hp gas. It has almost unlimited power, mows fast, smooth with power steering, brakes, hydraulic drive. It never bogs down in heavy grass, blades are indestructible and mowers a beautiful smooth flat lawn and is just fun to drive. Would never buy anything else’s.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kubota?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 14, 2019

Vibrates & wears out idler pulley & belt prematurely. I took my mower in for service and the dealership serviced my mower and then fixed several things that were on the recall list, safety switch on deck, safety switch on seat and a few other things. They also told me there was a recall on the idler pulley and belt because it was wearing out too soon. They said they would order the parts and call me when they came in. I gave them my info but no one called me back. I checked back with them several times within a year and was told the same thing over and over...parts are on backorder.

I went in to the dealership last week and asked about the the replacement parts for the recall but was told there was no active campaigns or history of a campaign on the idler pulley and belt for my mower now. I’ve never heard of a recall expiring. I am very dissatisfied with the service department and their lack of customer service.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 9, 2019

A year and a half ago I bought a Kabota B2650 with Bh77 backhoe and front end loader. So far I have fixed loader linkage (defective part). Hours to take apart and fix. A pin fell out of the backhoe, replaced plate that fits over controls on Bh77 as dealer said that was why dipstick moved so slow (still moves slow). There were leaks in hydraulic lines within first 10 hours of use. All aluminum parts are corroding and I keep it inside and only left property once on a trailer for service in the summer! Try finding a good parts diagram!!! I spend more time looking for parts than fixing.

Today when I went to use after not being able to use much this year due to rain, a poorly put together hydraulic line gets pinched and a pinhole on one of the hardest ones to replace starts leaking!!! It only has 107 hours and I have spent that much time researching to buy, looking for parts diagram to buy parts, buying parts and fixing than time using! RENT BUT DON'T BUY ONE OF THESE LEMONS!!! IT WILL BE CHEAPER IN THE LONG RUN!!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 2, 2019

I've owned my Kubota Z121S for 2 years now, my mowing season is 4-5. This mower has been in the shop for 4 out of the 7 months I've owned it for various reasons. 2 days ago I shut the mower off while mowing my yard because my kids ran up to me and now this won't turn back on. It is now a lawn ordainment in the middle of my yard and Kubota wants to let it sit there and send a tech in 8 days just to diagnose the issue, he will then have to order parts as they don't stock any. With past issues i've driven it to the repair shop and dropped it off only to wait over a month to get my mower back from service with nothing found wrong???? I can't get rid of this mower fast enough at this point. BUYER stay away!

Kubota response

Hello Gavin, Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you would like to discuss this matter any further, please don't hesitate to give Kubota Customer Satisfaction department a call.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 25, 2019

I bought BX2380 in late 2018. At 180 hours the PTO stopped working. After over a month in the shop the dealer said they finally got it working again. I picked up the tractor and returned it the next day due to lack of speed in the transmission and slop in the forward/ reverse pedal. The tractor also jumps forward now when started up without touching anything. The dealer said they want Kubota to authorize a replacement transmission but they are dragging their feet on the repair. I have made 2 payments and countless lost revenue in almost the 2 months that they have had my tractor in for repairs. I would not recommend buying a new Kubota. It took me over a month just to buy it. I almost had to beg them to sell me a tractor. I should have seen the red flag right there!

Kubota response

Hello Kevin, Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you would like to discuss this matter any further, please don't hesitate to give Kubota Customer Satisfaction department a call.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2019

I purchase my Kubota BX23s on February 18, 2019 and it was delivered on February 21,2019. By March 22,2019 the PTO failed due to a severe hydraulic system leak, the machine was at this time inoperable. The Tractor remained in dealers possession from March 26, 2019 to April 25, 2019. On the same day of delivery, the 3rd valve function was not operating. On Monday April 29 a technician repaired tractor on site. On May 8, 2019 it began leaking hydraulic fluid from front end loader making it inoperable yet again. A technician attempted to repair the leak on site on May 15, 2019, but unfortunately couldn’t until parts were ordered leaving the tractor inoperable. May 24, 2019 the technician returned with parts and repaired it on site. On May 25, 2019 after only minutes of use the hydraulic system failed yet again leaving it inoperable.

The tractor was picked up by the dealer on May 28, 2019 and returned June 21, 2019. On the date of return the tractor drove approximately under 50 feet before a gear fell from the under carriage leaving it inoperable. The tractor since delivery on February 21, 2019 has been either out of service or in the dealership’s possession for the majority of the time. At this point I have attempted to contact the dealers service department manager, via phone and email since noon today and have been ignored. I did however speak to the salesman whom I purchased the tractor from and he advised me that I should contact Kubota Corporate for answers. I recently contacted Kubota corporate and they advised me to go through the dealer. Point Blank KUBOTA does not stand by their products and service.

Kubota response

Hello Luis, Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you would like to discuss this matter any further, please don't hesitate to give Kubota Customer Satisfaction department a call.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2019

Poor Radiator design lead to engine rebuild in under 100 hours. I own a Kubota BX2350 with an under deck mower. The radiator is located between the engine and drive and is very inadequate for cooling the engine. It clogs after every use and requires the use of compressed air to clean the coils. You also have to refill the coolant reservoir after each use. Eventually the engine overheated enough to warp the heads and I had to pay $4K to rebuild the engine at the Kubota dealership. These issues with overheating began the very first day that I purchased the tractor.

Kubota response

Hello Timothy, Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you would like to discuss this matter any further, please don't hesitate to give Kubota Customer Satisfaction department a call.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2019

The Z421 is a very attractive model in the store. I love the power and ability of the Z421 Kommander, however, the belt comes off easily. I just put the belt back on yesterday, then it came off again today. It's been in the shop 3-4 times and it has 52 hours. I want to love it but it leaves the lawn incomplete many times. The belt that continues to come off is for the blades. It's not difficult to fix, but it's unacceptable for a new product.

Kubota response

Hello Michael, Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you would like to discuss this matter any further, please don't hesitate to give Kubota Customer Satisfaction department a call.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

My BX25D tractor turned to a pile of rust within three years and the instrument panel lost the seal shorting out the circuit board and electrical plug with rain water. I still haven't even finish paying for it. I kept the Kubota in a shed most of the time. In contrast I also have a forty year Yanmar which has been in the open all the time. I'm submitting some pictures that shows the difference in corrosion between the two. The Yanmar is the green colored. Contacted my dealer and he informed me that his representative stated that it was an environmental issue because I was located in a coastal area. It would have been nice if they had informed me that their product had problems in the coastal area. No help from the dealer.

Kubota response

Hello Reynaldo, Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you would like to discuss this matter any further, please don't hesitate to give Kubota Customer Satisfaction department a call.

Original review: April 24, 2019

K121s 48" wish I could give a zero. 40 hrs on my zero turn mower. Been in the shop in Baytown Tx for the 5th or 6th time due to the drive belt coming off. WORST ZERO TURN ON THE MARKET. Do not buy this mower unless you enjoy paying for something you cannot use. Look elsewhere.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I bought a brand new 2018 Kubota L4060HSTC last August & with only 106 hours the engine locked up. I had already had one dealer service performed & was on time with maintenance. My tractor was in the middle of a regeneration cycle & suddenly shut down. It would not restart so I had to call the dealer to winch it on a trailer & take back to the shop to find out why. I received a call from the dealer that the engine seized up & 2 cylinders were bad. Kubota told the dealer that it was likely I used gas instead of diesel.

After that test was negative Kubota had the dealer perform a series of tests to find out why the engine failed. Injectors checked out good, heat thermometer checked out at 22 resistance. #2 & #3 cylinders had no compression & the head was warped. Ok, at this point I was just thankful that it was still under warranty so I was just concerned about how long it would take to replace the engine. Then the blame game started from Kubota. They ordered test after test from the dealer trying to place the blame on myself because they stated this hasn't ever happened before so it had to be the customer?? The mechanic told me he thought the engine was air locked from factory & never had antifreeze & that's why the overflow stayed full & the temperature never ran hot. Also, the dealer confirmed that the tractor never ran hot or threw any codes.

After about a month or so waiting Kubota finally sent out one of their own inspectors & said he thought it looked like one of the factory radiator hoses had been repaired even though it was the factory hose on there & there was no leaks whatsoever? Long story short, the inspector denied my warranty claim. The dealer fought for me for a couple weeks, but Kubota simply does not stand behind their products. I guess once you get into big expense repairs they will find a way out. Now I'm stuck with a 6 month tractor with over $40K invested with a bad engine. By far the worst service I have received in my lifetime. I'm forced now to get an attorney because I simply cannot afford to take the loss. Unbelievable.

Original review: March 31, 2019

My 2015 Kubota stays in the shop. I have nothing but problems with temperature valve and DPF filter plugging up. Do not buy Kubota. They do not stand beyond their work. If you buy a Kubota make it is a 2014 and under.

Kubota response

Please contact Kubota Customer Satisfaction Department at 888-4-KUBOTA. They will be more than happy to help document your concerns and reach out to the appropriate parties that can investigate your issue. Thanks

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I came to this site to review Kubota's 'internal air filter', which Kubota strongly recommend, part# K7561-82361, but which Kubota did not include when they delivered my new BX23S to me several weeks ago. I drove for 1 hour to one of my closest Kubota dealers to pick up one of these filter, as a precaution to better protect my new tractor's engine. The parts expert was not aware that such a filter was available, and not until I provided him with the Kubota part number was he able to find two (2) in his inventory. I was a little surprised when he handed me a plain white box, instead of a Kubota orange box, and the only labeling was 'ELEMENT and the part number' which I had provided him with.

The big surprise was when I opened the box to inspect my new $13.00 purchase. The rubber mounting seal which is intended to hold the filter in place was half missing, so I asked the parts man if he had another one, which was not defective, but when he opened the second one, to his surprise and mine, 3/4s of the rubber mounting seal on this only other ELEMENT he had in stock was missing. Because I drove this long distance to purchase the filter to better protect my tractor's engine, I bought it anyway!

THE SECOND REASON I DECIDED TO WRITE THIS REVIEW is because, in my review of about 20 earlier (recent) reviews I noticed that Kubota fails to respond to 80% to 90% percent of the reviews that I reviewed! WHY ENCOURAGE KUBOTA BUYERS TO TYPE REVIEW WHICH ARE THEN IGNORED BUY KUBOTA? I fully expect that very soon, Kubota will contact me directly and they will provide me with a non-defective replacement ELEMENT for my new Kubota BX23S.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

The worst tractor ever owned. I honestly spend more time fixing it than using it, bolts just keep coming lose, I bought it brand new. My seat fell off at 30 hours, spindle shearing bolt because under size broke belt at 15 hours. Gear changes are shocking and nearly impossible to adjust deck height, never mind trying to take decking off and is unstable on hills, should I go on???

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Product was delivered on time and customer service is good from the local dealer but corporate has been asked 3-4 times for the certificate of origin and they have not been able to deliver. The unit was delivered 4 months ago.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have loved my 2011 ZG327 we bought new for $13000. We have mowed 3 acres with virtually no problems. In October the wiring harness completely burned up. We carried it to our dealer in Shreveport, LA immediately. The estimate was $800-$900. One month later we’re told they could not get a wiring harness for it. I immediately ordered one from MD Tractor online. Seems the one they showed in inventory was out in the shop being installed on another mower. Now I am being told there is not one K3281-62125 wiring harness in any warehouse or dealership in the United States. Now what do I do?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I got my BX2380 Sept 2017. I put 140 hours on it. At 130 hours it developed a slightly lower idle, vibration, different sound, different exhaust smell. I thought perhaps it was a fouled injector so I tried running cetane boost, diesel cleaner, tried running it hard in case it was carbon to no avail. Dealer is trying their best testing injectors, compression, everything Kubota has told them to try and states they basically can't find anything wrong with the engine. I can understand it's a dog and they really don't know what else to do but I also don't want to get stuck with an unsolvable problem that will haunt me from here on.

I was told this exact model engine (D902) is used in gen sets and is bullet proof which I believe, but this one is certainly cursed. I am thinking the only way out might be to do a trade for a 2680 with a D1005 engine as I don't know if I can trust this one again. I understand the Kubota rep will be at the dealer next week, wonder if he has any magic? Signed, Distressed.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I've had 8 Kubota tractors. One ran me over due to a malfunctioning safety switch. Two others were duds right from the factory, they picked them up (I had to pay), took them back and wrote down all the problems and returned it UNTOUCHED, as in...not fixed. I could go on and on. I was lied to by everyone in the entire Kubota corporation.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I purchased this machine new six months ago. It has been back to the dealer eight times, they have been to my residence five times, they have been on my job sites three times. Hydraulic hoses splitting, spilling fluids, hydraulic fittings leaking, quick connect fittings leaking, stabilizer hoses being pulled apart because of the angle of the fittings, the main boom and picker cylinder share the same root pinning. This pin sheared off and the upper cylinder came close to removing my face, caused serious enough damage to the backhoe.

So Kubota replaced the entire hoe, now with 300 hrs the front tires are worn to less than 50%, the problem is the drive ratio between the front drive and the rear so badly out of proportion the front tires in four wheel drive are trying to pull the rears as the travel speed is impaired by this difference in gear ratio. Almost from day one this 3901 has had starting troubles. From one shut down to the next one or several of the micro switches in the system will not allow the machine to start. I have fifteen videos of this condition and still after all the work Kubota has done it has still got this starting issue. Unhappy with Kubota would be putting it mildly.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Updated on 03/23/2019: After fighting with Kubota over an engineering flaw The b3350 should be removed from the market. It has a DPF filter on the exhaust. After almost 6 months new engine, new CPU, 3 new D.P.F. filters Kubota is thinking maybe they should refund my money but this could take forever. If they had told me this model has problems and won't run above 5000 ft elevation due to not enough air for filter to work I would of said, "No I don't want that machine." Almost 6 months and I still can't use my new tractor.

Updated on 03/05/2019: It's been almost 5 months and my tractor still is in the shop. It has been determined I need a new engine so 3 weeks ago Kubota authorized a replacement engine. After all this time of not being able to figure out why it wouldn't start at elev 9000 ft in Colorado the service team decided to replace the engine and it's been three weeks since the new engine was approved by Kubota. So as of today March 5 2019 I not only don't have a new engine but no one knows where this new engine is. Every day I hear the same thing. No one in Kubota or the service dept at Rusler Implements knows where this engine is. Hard to believe that the supply chain at Kubota doesn't track its parts.

Original Review: I bought a new 2018 b3350 tractor. At 98 hours it won't start. Service manger told me he is at a loss. So what do I do but contact a lawyer or maybe you can honor your warranty. Fix the new tractor. Please contact me.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I bought a brand new Kubota Bx2680 series with multiple attachments in May of 2017. I’ve had nothing but issues with this tractor. It’s been in and out of the shop. May of 2018 with 92 hours the engine overheated. Temp gauge never moved. No warning lights just the smell of smoke. Now my head is warped. Apparently even though the equipment failed none of this is covered by the warranty. However, damage is not covered by insurance because it’s a mechanical issue. I’ve spoke to customer service several times as well as my dealer (where I am constantly directed) with no resolution.

Kelly,

We value you as a customer and understand the issue you are facing is frustrating. However, your issue was due to lack of routine maintenance. The buildup of debris in and around the engine compartment and radiator is what caused your engine to overheat and subsequently fail. On page 36 of your operator's manual it clearly states what checks needs to be done every time you use your equipment. Because this was not done warranty denied your claim.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

2500 dollar repair for clutch that warranty does not cover. In Nov. 2017 I bought a new Kubota MX5200 with manual transmission equipped with a front-end loader. At 110 hours the clutch went out. Dealer and Kubota customer service said that this is not under warranty. Rep said the failure was due to excessive use of clutch. Have a 15 year of MX 5000 manual and never had an issue. Very disappointed in the assistance that I did not get from Kubota. Service tech indicated that with the emission system, you have to shift with the engine wide open and indicated that is probably why the clutch failed. I am going to get rid of the unit at a loss and buy a hydro state transmission. After this being my 3rd Kubota product, I may got to another brand. Trade value is about a 3rd off the purchase price. Would definitely not buy a manual shift Kubota with front end loader. Very disappointed with the customer service from Kubota.

Marvin,

We understand the frustration this issue has caused and sincerely apologize. However, there were no defective parts found when your unit was diagnosed at your dealership. In accordance to page 5 of your warranty handbook, the clutch is not a warrant-able part. If you have any new evidence to state the contrary please give us a call at 888-4-KUBOTA and we will be more than willing to assist.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

3 months ago I bought a Kubota Kommander Z421 60” zero turn mower. I wanted to give Kobota another try after buying a Kommander z122 42” about 3.5 years prior. The z122 was constantly in Kubota's shop. Multiple issues with one of the belts coming off at least 6 times and the left transmission controls went out which took 3 months to repair. Never got mower back in a week or two. Always took longer regardless of how minor the repair. The Kawasaki Motor on both of these mowers perform well so I give Motor and drivetrain high marks.

My new z421 only has 40 hours on it, made only 2 payments and it is in the shop already at (Kubota dealer). Going on 2 weeks and will probably be another week just to repair a belt. What good is the warranty on the mower (5 year/500 hours) if it takes this long To get your equipment back. They know how to sell them and finance them to you - but the dealer service is poor at best. I will probably need to seek a small engine repair shop out going forward and stay away from dealer at all Cost. I will buy my new tractor from another dealer and manufacturer when I purchase next year. Do your research well because the quality you expect may fall way short of expectation with Kubota. I know it did with me.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have a Grasshopper ZTR mower powered by a Kubota Engine. I believe both to be of good quality and very sturdy. My complaint is that Kubota parts are ridiculously expensive. A 2" bolt at the bottom of the drive shaft... $9.00. An owner's pamphlet (~20 pages of 4"x6") $35.00. An oil filter... $18.50. I would not buy another Kubota product on this basis alone.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Very, very durable mower. Worth every penny. Nice ride and good cut. Heavy duty and reliable. I do have regular maintenance done, and this mower, although 12 years old, rides like new. Would recommend.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have a zero turn mower. Not all manufacturers put a ROPS SYSTEM on their mowers. This in my mind is a requirement. Kubota makes a quality machine. The Kawasaki engine is also great.

Kubota expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kubota brought its products to the United States in 1969 and provides a wide range of lawn and construction equipment.

• Residential and commercial: Kubota creates residential and commercial riding mower models designed for each market's unique needs.

• Financing: The company has its own financing options to help improve affordability of its riding mowers.

• Diesel engine options: These environmentally-friendly diesel engines offer significant power.

• Up to 72-cutting deck: A massive cutting deck addresses any size yard.

• Oversize fuel tanks: 16-gallon fuel tanks keep the riding mower going until the yard is completed.

• Best for: Residential homeowners and commercial businesses buy these riding mowers to handle massive lots.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs