2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

3.9/5 (247 ratings)

About Kubota

Kubota Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kubota?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kubota?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Purchased 2019 L2501 with attachments. When unit was delivered, as soon as I moved unit, linkage rod fell off and I noticed fuel gauge appeared to not work. I went to dealer next day and they were very uninterested. Said probably just needed to have rod re-installed with new pin and fuel guage would probably be ok after using it a while and they were not going to do anything. The dealer has been nothing but useless and lied about costs, etc. I have also had very poor service from factory customer service on every call.

The website is very confusing and their automated phone service hangs up constantly on almost every call. It takes at least 10 calls and hang-ups before getting connected to someone. I was charged $2000 for insurance at purchase which was never mentioned by dealer. When I tried to payoff loan I talked to insurance people and they said amount paid on insurance would be adjusted at payoff and I was told to talk to loan dept to get amount of adjustment. Customer service claims there is no adjustment given even though I would be paying off loan 50% early.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

ZG123S-48. 48" deck has three short blades - not an ideal design. Cuts regular lawn grass (i.e., Centipede/St. Augustine) okay but generally requires two or more passes to cut 'stalks' of what is commonly called 'Smut Grass'. Mower idler pulley failed at less than 200 hours use. Not happy with the performance or reliability of this expensive machine,.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

In 2019 I traded my 3901 in on a MX4800 because I needed more loader capacity. I owned the 4800 less than a year (60 hours) and there was a major recall that would require me to lose my tractor for months. I decided that I would just trade it and upgrade to a 5400 because I needed use of the tractor. I have had the 5400 for less than a year (less than 50 hours) and it died on the field. I called dealer and had it picked up. After two weeks the dealer said they were working with Kubota engineers to try to troubleshoot problem. After two weeks they still did not have any idea what was wrong and told me it was now looking like the engine would need to be replaced. **?

What has happened to Kubota's quality control. Why hasn't Kubota stepped up to do the right thing for a loyal customer (3rd kubota tractor). Basically I feel like I can no longer rely on the quality of Kubota nor can I rely on them to stand behind there product and minimize the frustration and inconvenience their issues have created for what has been a loyal customer. Time to look at Green tractors if Kubota doesn't step up and resolve this issue quickly.

Paul

Kubota if you want to make this right call the dealer I bought if from (lochens in WI or the dealer that is servicing it, Beavers in WI). Similar to the issue with the 4800 I expect I will not hear a thing from you.

Original review: July 29, 2021

The customer service with Kubota has always been top-of-the-line. Their products are well-made and last long. Now more than ever your Landscaping dreams are achievable. The machines are easy to use and built with a user-friendly interface. It is a wonderful memory of mind to mow the lawn with my grandson on my lap and it is a wonderful memory of his of always hopping on the orange tractor to help me mow the lawn.

Original review: April 5, 2021

In Fall 2018 we purchased a brand new RTV1100C with an $8,000 dollar Kubota snow blower implement. First winter everything worked fine, after about 8 months in the summer PTO that drives blower started to spin without engaging it. Dealer picked up the unit and got Kubota to cover replacement under warranty. Second winter was mild and only used blower for a few hours. The 3rd winter 2020/2021 was an absolute nightmare and costly. Installed the blower and PTO would not turn. Dealer came and picked up the unit. After $2,400+ we were told the PTO had frozen from lack of use and we needed to run the PTO every couple of weeks to prevent further freezing. We had never been told this prior to this service call! This is an electric clutch add on PTO in case you're not familiar. Keep in mind this clutch had already been replaced about 1.4 years ago.

After getting the unit back and using the snow blower for 3 days the drive shaft from the engine to the PTO snapped a CV joint on one end. So back to dealer it went, Kubota refused this being a warranty issue, so again $2,400+ bill to get it working AGAIN. We are now stuck with a very unreliable piece of equipment. Our $8,000 snow blower has now cost nearly $13,000 after maybe 60 hours of use and 2.5 years of ownership. The future looks even dimmer given what it costs to keep this implement running. If you're looking for a vehicle mounted snow blower look elsewhere. This is not worth it. This doesn't even address the snow blower's lift cylinder that is leaking and another $400+ labor to repair.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We had an 8hr old machine with various issues. The mower has overheated and stalled out. I have slashed my 65 acre property with my slasher and used this mower to neaten fence lines and around the house area. I have been told the overheat was due to a blocked filter. I had been initially told there was damage to the radiator due to an overheat and it needed to be replaced, however it managed to be pressure tested and no leak was found.

I believe the radiator has a pinhole leak, made apparent by the collection of dust and debris seen in the photo below. They claim that this 2-3 inch wide, suspect area of muddy dust and dirt came from the "once off" overheat event and was a result of the overflow reservoir overflowing. The overflow reservoir is located on the opposite side of the machine.... and upon my first inspection the reservoir had nothing, and I mean nothing in it, not even green coolant residue. The inside of the mower hood also had no splutter marks near the radiator overflow side, which of course losing 2.5 litres of water would produce.

I did however notice the fan and the shroud surround had muddy marks on them also, an obvious and clear indication there was some liquid being expelled onto the fan blades. My suspicion was that the repairer that came to inspect the unit also noticed this obvious flaw and had added something to the coolant to plug the leak. I was told that was not the case, and was a result of the overheat and the apparent dislodging of plastic particles inside the radiator. The stuff that came out was sludgy gunk not plastic, but I still haven't got an acceptable response on what this is. I still have the contents of the reservoir in a bottle. I'll send it off for an assay. I hope I'm wrong about this, I really do, my faith in Kubota has been seriously impacted by this.

As discussed it is clear to me that no admission of liability will be made on the radiator's failure, and they are claiming the overheat to be a result of poor maintenance. Ok lets run with that shall we. The mower has done 8 hours of work, I would estimate 4 of which were actual mowing hours. Before each mow we had removed the filter and cleaned out a bit of grass, nothing seemed too out of place there at all. I have used the slasher to mow all of the paddocks on my property, that little kubota did a few laps around the fence lines after I had slashed it down.

The photo sent through from the mechanic showing the grass blockage on the radiator clearly shows that the radiator mesh that is designed to keep grass out of the radiator is not doing its intended job. Grass is making its way in behind that grill and becoming jammed in there. I will note also that the radiator veins are visible through most of the grass and although it has managed to make its way inside there, there were very few dense patches of grass affecting the entire radiator. I will also note that the brand new hydraulics are already leaking and we have had issues with other minor things with this mower already. Very disappointed with this. Very shady dealings with all parties involved. I have attached a few more photos which I will be forwarding on to other relevant parties.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Diesel powered, quality construction, heavy duty made for years and years of service. Parts and service readily available, expensive to buy But long life, easy maintenance, very safe and economical to operate.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

2020 MX5400 with 28 hours. Computer failed. In shop for over 2 weeks and Kubota cannot send a replacement to the dealer because tractor is a new model and all computers are being installed in new builds. No spares available. Way to go kubota. I have been patient and understanding. It is obvious you do not understand customer care/support. $38,600 for a new tractor sitting in shop waiting on no show kubota. Oh kubota where are you when the new tractor/customer needs you?

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, the way you treat your tractors/customers. The dealer is trying hard. They are great. But you, you are totally ungrateful!

Jimmie **

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I've had my Kubota for 5 years and it has never had any mechanical issues. I mow 1.5 acres of regular lawn and 4.5 acres of field grass/weeds on rough uneven ground. The bagging system works great even with wet grass, and the mulching system performs well even on the field mowing. The engine still holds original compression test pressure and there are no oil leaks. Handling stacks up to any other in price range! It's a tough and dependable mower.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Kubota makes great machines for perfect fields. It is not the greatest over harsher lawns due to their deck hangers which are solid mounts that use fine thread bolts to give you your height. I do wish they would make a secondary chain deck hanging system since not everyone is mowing a golf course.

Kubota author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Kubota brought its products to the United States in 1969 and provides a wide range of lawn and construction equipment.

• Residential and commercial: Kubota creates residential and commercial riding mower models designed for each market's unique needs.

• Financing: The company has its own financing options to help improve affordability of its riding mowers.

• Diesel engine options: These environmentally-friendly diesel engines offer significant power.

• Up to 72-cutting deck: A massive cutting deck addresses any size yard.

• Oversize fuel tanks: 16-gallon fuel tanks keep the riding mower going until the yard is completed.

Kubota Company Information