2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.90/5

Kubota Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kubota?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kubota?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Diesel powered, quality construction, heavy duty made for years and years of service. Parts and service readily available, expensive to buy But long life, easy maintenance, very safe and economical to operate.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I've had my Kubota for 5 years and it has never had any mechanical issues. I mow 1.5 acres of regular lawn and 4.5 acres of field grass/weeds on rough uneven ground. The bagging system works great even with wet grass, and the mulching system performs well even on the field mowing. The engine still holds original compression test pressure and there are no oil leaks. Handling stacks up to any other in price range! It's a tough and dependable mower.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Kubota makes great machines for perfect fields. It is not the greatest over harsher lawns due to their deck hangers which are solid mounts that use fine thread bolts to give you your height. I do wish they would make a secondary chain deck hanging system since not everyone is mowing a golf course.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We had an 8hr old machine with various issues. The mower has overheated and stalled out. I have slashed my 65 acre property with my slasher and used this mower to neaten fence lines and around the house area. I have been told the overheat was due to a blocked filter. I had been initially told there was damage to the radiator due to an overheat and it needed to be replaced, however it managed to be pressure tested and no leak was found.

I believe the radiator has a pinhole leak, made apparent by the collection of dust and debris seen in the photo below. They claim that this 2-3 inch wide, suspect area of muddy dust and dirt came from the "once off" overheat event and was a result of the overflow reservoir overflowing. The overflow reservoir is located on the opposite side of the machine.... and upon my first inspection the reservoir had nothing, and I mean nothing in it, not even green coolant residue. The inside of the mower hood also had no splutter marks near the radiator overflow side, which of course losing 2.5 litres of water would produce.

I did however notice the fan and the shroud surround had muddy marks on them also, an obvious and clear indication there was some liquid being expelled onto the fan blades. My suspicion was that the repairer that came to inspect the unit also noticed this obvious flaw and had added something to the coolant to plug the leak. I was told that was not the case, and was a result of the overheat and the apparent dislodging of plastic particles inside the radiator. The stuff that came out was sludgy gunk not plastic, but I still haven't got an acceptable response on what this is. I still have the contents of the reservoir in a bottle. I'll send it off for an assay. I hope I'm wrong about this, I really do, my faith in Kubota has been seriously impacted by this.

As discussed it is clear to me that no admission of liability will be made on the radiator's failure, and they are claiming the overheat to be a result of poor maintenance. Ok lets run with that shall we. The mower has done 8 hours of work, I would estimate 4 of which were actual mowing hours. Before each mow we had removed the filter and cleaned out a bit of grass, nothing seemed too out of place there at all. I have used the slasher to mow all of the paddocks on my property, that little kubota did a few laps around the fence lines after I had slashed it down.

The photo sent through from the mechanic showing the grass blockage on the radiator clearly shows that the radiator mesh that is designed to keep grass out of the radiator is not doing its intended job. Grass is making its way in behind that grill and becoming jammed in there. I will note also that the radiator veins are visible through most of the grass and although it has managed to make its way inside there, there were very few dense patches of grass affecting the entire radiator. I will also note that the brand new hydraulics are already leaking and we have had issues with other minor things with this mower already. Very disappointed with this. Very shady dealings with all parties involved. I have attached a few more photos which I will be forwarding on to other relevant parties.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

2020 MX5400 with 28 hours. Computer failed. In shop for over 2 weeks and Kubota cannot send a replacement to the dealer because tractor is a new model and all computers are being installed in new builds. No spares available. Way to go kubota. I have been patient and understanding. It is obvious you do not understand customer care/support. $38,600 for a new tractor sitting in shop waiting on no show kubota. Oh kubota where are you when the new tractor/customer needs you?

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, the way you treat your tractors/customers. The dealer is trying hard. They are great. But you, you are totally ungrateful!

Jimmie **

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have been very happy with my Kubota tractor functionally and generally happy with the durability of it. However I recently had the hydraulic hoses to my loader fail (they had been rubbing together and worn through). The tractor is older and these things are bound to happen. My complaint is that I have had one of the hoses on back order from Kubota for 5 weeks now. Originally they said it would be 2 weeks, then it was 3-4 weeks, and now when the dealer called them again today they said it would be another couple weeks (subject to change). This is for a hydraulic hose. I am not sure if they are waiting for the slow boat from overseas to bring it over or what. When I replace my tractor I will go with an American made one so I can get parts when I need them.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I purchased a lightly used (24 hrs.) Kubota ZG127S zero turn mower. Everything was peachy and doing well for the next 60+ hours. Now I've reached 165 hours on the ZG127S and after numerous repairs I will never own another Kubota product again. (and I just sold my L35 tractor yesterday). From inferior engineering to Chinese assembly techniques, where all the praise for Kubota products originates is a mystery to me. Fortunate for me the Kohler engine and the hydros have been trouble free. Thank God they're not Kubota products. From the headlamps TAPED to the frame to the blade clutch assembly held in place with a thin strap of metal (chinese assembly technique), this Kubota's a joke that's not too funny. "Back in the day" Kubota could be proud of their product but not in today's world.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I purchased a 2018 8028T. I bought this model with the one point hitch. I pull the machine behind a pickup to move from field. The hitch has broke three times now. First time Kubota fix it under warranty. The second time the dealer gave me parts to fix myself. Kubota would not do anything to help. It is broken again and is making the machine useless. I am trying to redesign the hitch to work both ways. 2 point and one point. I feel that Kubota should step up and help with this problem. I have complained to my dealer and written to Kubota with no response. Very unpleased. Ken **.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I ordered the crazy priced hard door kit for my RTV. What I got was a door kit put together from likely return defective parts. RH door strut bracket was bent wrong not allowing the hinge plate to be installed until considerable work was done. RH door decal was placed wrong 3/4” too far forward protruding from the inset area it fit in. It also had severe staining spots on the vinyl.

LH door decal was 1/2 way off the door hanging there, which required removal and reinstallation. This is unlikely to hold on for long. And you have to buy new outside door shells to get the decals they are not sold separately! The window scratched from the assembler leaving his 7/16 deep well and drill adapter in the window and shipped with it rubbing the plexiglass all the way from California to Montana. And then for 2200.00 they forgot to put the keys to the doors in! Really? What a joke. Don’t get fooled by thinking oh well their parts are crazy high priced but likely worth it. They are not.

Original review: April 24, 2020

So I bought this in July of 2019 I believe. I am considering trading it for these reasons:

1. Backhoe attachment putting it on, you better be careful. It has no emergency shut off if it slips in any way. The handles it the tractor jam controls forward and you're in trouble. Think fast if it happens. It also will break the lines if it happens.
      2. High brush has ripped the tie rod boots apart. This happened in a month.
      3. Very Very very unstable tractor when bucket is full. Feels like it wants to roll over on the right side only. I’ve checked everything. It’s just not stable At all. Go very slow.
      4. Driveshaft boots also ripped apart in month.
      5. Bucket power only 400lbs. I think deer is at 600.

6. Backhoe power low.

It sucks I have to leave this review because the dealer I bought from is very nice. The Kubota BX23S just is not very impressive at all.

Kubota author review by ConsumerAffairs

Kubota brought its products to the United States in 1969 and provides a wide range of lawn and construction equipment.

• Residential and commercial: Kubota creates residential and commercial riding mower models designed for each market's unique needs.

• Financing: The company has its own financing options to help improve affordability of its riding mowers.

• Diesel engine options: These environmentally-friendly diesel engines offer significant power.

• Up to 72-cutting deck: A massive cutting deck addresses any size yard.

• Oversize fuel tanks: 16-gallon fuel tanks keep the riding mower going until the yard is completed.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team