3.3/5 (1533 ratings)

About John Deere

John Deere Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: March 13, 2022

My folks bought an X350 riding mower in the spring of 202I, but I'm the one who uses it to cut their grass and I maintain it for them. I have never used such a poor quality mower in my life (I'm 56). Their previous JD was a P185 that lasted 30 years and still worked, but was long in the tooth. JD's quality is now non existent. The cut quality is pathetic, in part due to the fact the deck has the rigidity of tissue paper. I can literally remove the deck and carry it under one arm with ease....did I mention I'm 56!? They went to a two blade system from three, so it leaves long clippings that often need raking (same cutting frequency as before, so not a case of leaving grass to grow too long). The blades are no longer mounted with bearings, but instead use a cheaper greased shaft arrangement. You can't engage the blades with the brake depressed which is a problem if you're on a bit of a slope.... This compromises operator control.

The RIO switch must be depressed every time you engage reverse or the blades stop. This is easily defeated by shunting the connector, but then you don't have an RIO at all....should have an ignition position like Cub Cadet allowing temporary override. They use plastic idler pullies on the drive belt system....yes plastic. But, the trigger that started this review was my experience with the digital dash display. The display fogged up during operation making it impossible to read (I'll attach a couple pics), so it was sent back to the dealer for replacement. The new display is worse. This apparently is common. The dealer said they took a chance replacing the original because JD's policy is not to replace them until they literally form water droplets inside the display. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They charge a pretty penny I'm sure for this garbage feature that's impossible to read after a few minutes of use.

Fortunately, there's a dummy light for the fuel level. For decades mechanical indicators and dummy lights worked flawlessly...at less cost, but now we get this modern "high tech" garbage. Suffice it to say, the dealer won't replace it again until water droplets actually form under the glass. I'm a former Kubota owner and while I realize they can be more costly, you get superb quality. A few extra dollars for a product that's enjoyable to use, reliable, and long lasting is money well spent in my opinion.

If I was trying to stay in the JD price range, I would consider Cub Cadet (made by MTD) as a better option as I have used one of their larger mowers and was far more impressed. JD's 100 series riding mowers use a quick change oil system that leaves up to 30% of the old oil in the engine which basically makes these disposable mowers. This is the standard of quality JD has adopted. This is also the company that recently bragged about having the highest paid employees in the industry. No surprise there given the prices they charge for their products. Simply put.... STAY AWAY FROM JOHN DEERE! Good luck. Cheers. Note: The first pic is the replacement display (labelled New Display) and the second pic is JD's threshold for replacement (labelled JD Standard).

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I don't drive and own a tractor. I love their riding lawnmower, miss living out in the country, the good old days. Now, living in town is so different... I don't like it. Keep up the good work you guys, take care!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Large deck gets the job done. Mulching large field to lawn, John Deere riding lawnmowers are strong, durable and efficient. Never used the cup holders, but really appreciated adjusting the deck height for different lawn to field work. The headlights were always appreciated as late evening mowing happened a lot in the summer.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I bought my John Deere last fall with a snow blower attachment and cab cover. That all worked pretty good for the winter weather. I got stuck a few times because of the deep snow and tight turning radius. But cutting the lawn this summer is wonderful. It has put my previous Craftsman rider to shame. Turns tight, it doesn't scalp, and is solid. It cost more but worth every penny!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

It's a great tractor for a small farm or large yard (1+ acres). It has a 60 inch mowing deck and bucket loader. We purchased a dozer/snow blade and a spreader. We will be adding a tiller and backhoe to the equipment list also. I mow 1.69 acres in 2 hours 24 minutes. It's my zen time. I put in my earbuds, tune up a playlist, and enjoy the mow! Equipment is hydraulically powered and easy to hook up and remove. Safety equipment includes a rollbar and seatbelt, headlights, red and yellow rear lights and a large triangle reflector.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Love my 42 inch mower. Runs like a deere! I am arthritic and it takes me about three hours to cut my grass. I am a bit stiff when I get off the mower but no pain. It is easy to adjust height of the blade to go over tree roots etc. Can easily get close to fence and walk to minimize trimming.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Mower works well in most situations. It is a bit difficult for an old man like (84) to remove the blades in order to sharpen them. Otherwise it is a well engineered and constructed machine. I would buy another one if this one wears out or breaks beyond repair.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

It does the grass and snow removal. Ease of use from grass to snow. X300 with a 42' deck and 44" snow blower. Also, it starts in all weather. Hot or cold.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

John Deere cannot be beaten for reliability, craftsmanship, design, and quality. In 50 years I've never found a better machine for mowing my 4.5 acres. These machines are more easily maintained and repaired (should that need to happen) than Husquvarna. A Deere holds up longer than so many other brands on the market. I've owned other lawn machines, but I always come back to a Deere.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

Hi expensive piece of crap that falls apart and Repair parts are expensive. They build them this way so they can keep you coming back to buy more parts. Another thing is they don’t cut decent going around corners. Your lawnmower seat will rip after one year. This is my third X540 and I had to 345GX before And every year they keep Lowering the quality But they keep raising the prices. So yourself a lot of time and money. Don’t buy one. I finally switch to something else. They're junk. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Well engineered with thought process being focused on safety and function. Controls are easy to learn for well controlled operation, and have built in safety features. Engine is a real work horse providing plenty of power for some of the tallest grass and small seedlings. Changing blades is easy and they have several different styles for type of area to be mowed. Fuel economy is good, able to mow for several hours on the 2 gal tank. Most changeable items are easy to access, fuel/oil filters, oil drain access. I have owned several and will probably buy one again.

Original review: July 31, 2021

The John Deere is the best riding mower we have owned. It is well made, starts quickly, runs well, mows evenly and efficiently. It is comfortable and stylish. It is easy to service and keep in good working condition.

Original review: July 30, 2021

The John Deere LA145 has done a great job keeping 2 acres mowed. Routine maintenance done on schedule. Did have to replace starter and a tire. The deck has bee been reinforced due to SC sandy yards. The available wagon, sweeper, and dethatcher are helpful.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Purchased this John Deere 100 Series, LA135. riding mower over 12 years ago. I couldn't be happier with this purchase. I actually enjoy getting out on this mower and mowing. It's very simple to operate and extremely dependable. In 12 years I've only had to replace the battery once! I keep 1/2 acre of lawn plus another 1/2 acre of tall weeds mowed throughout the year. Other than general upkeep (oil changes, blade sharpening, air filter changes, lubrication) I've had virtually NO problems with this mower. Wish other mechanical products were made so well.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I bought a 45hp John Deere with front end loader & 6' rear pull mower. It arrived with 2.7 hours on it. It goes all dark screen, when I turn key to crank. Turning to crank it all the way to the right, I keep twisting slightly left and right a few times, till I get a crank sound. At first I thought the battery was drained so I tried jumping it, it didn't sound like it was struggling to crank or slow charge. Now I realize it's not a drained battery, I believe it's the ignition. I contacted the dealer and told them of it. Dealer wants to charge a service call fee to fix a defect on a $27,000 tractor I bought from them. So now I have a defective tractor sitting on my yard, that won't start, due to ignition problems, with only 5.9 hours on it.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I bought a John Deere zero turn mower model Z375R. The cost $3495 from Home Depot. The mower had bad battery. On John Deere website it states a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. However when I contacted the servicing dealer I was told on batteries and tires it's a 6 months warranty. I bought the mower on 09/18/20. The battery is less than 9 months old. After speaking with AG Pro which is their dealer and Braden John Deere at 1(888)522-1177. I discover this is not the place to do business with. There is no customer support to ** people who purchase their product.

I rated their mower and support less than at a 1 star. There is nowhere I could find in writing that there is only 6 months warranty on tires and batteries. I admit due to my busy schedule I did contact them in 6 months. However every company I have bought anything you a 1 year warranty on all parts and at least 90 days on labor. Buyer beware of this company and product.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I recently made the grave error of buying a John Deere ride-on mower. This product is too fragile to be effective. The product has a pattern of failing to engage the blade, and then getting it to a dealer to be repaired is a time-consuming headache. It's essentially an expensive piece of junk. John Deere products are, in my experience and so it seems to me, shoddy, poor quality and simply a bad investment. I will never purchase John Deere products again, and would warn all that their products are simply inadequate to even simple tasks. Toro is much better and the hand mower I bought second hand is still going strong, while my expensive John Deere ride-on mower is simply gathering dust as it is a WEAK PRODUCT. Customer Service for John Deere is simply **. If John Deere wants to discuss their god-awful products with me, they can email me at **. If you are considering buying a John Deere product, DON'T!

Original review: June 13, 2021

I bought a John Deere 1025R utility tractor with a mower and a loader attachment six years ago. I have read a few negative reviews and I want to set things straight. This machine is incredible! They told me in the beginning that the tractor holds its value and they weren't lying. I have been the only operator for 948 hours and I love this machine. I had owned two John Deere garden tractors prior so I knew I wouldn't be let down. If you do the yearly service maintenance you just can't go wrong. I mow in the spring, summer and fall and remove snow in the winter. I have completed so many projects and it just keeps on making me a happy owner. Six years and I only had to purchase 1 battery.

I actually cut down a 18"pine tree two years back and didn't plan well where it was going to fall. I had my bucket bracing the direction off the fall. The tree landed square on the tractor. Once it was cut off the machine there was not even 1 scratch. The seat leather is so tuff that it looks brand new after all this time. I polish it and it looks like a showroom display. I work it hard and it has never let me down. For those who purchase strictly by price, you may pay a little more for a J.D. but you will never regret it!

Lee

Montpelier, VT

Original review: June 12, 2021

After my John Deere caught on fire and I had a horrible experience with the head of John Deere, taking it to the top, I read numerous articles that my model’s engine was faulty and others had the same experience. They REFUSED my money back, it was BRAND NEW and I’m still paying for it!!! Check the real reviews. These are dangerous machines and the head of John Deere knows this and doesn’t care!

Original review: June 11, 2021

I purchased a D125 lawn tractor in March 2017, The purchase $1955.00. I have less than 109 hours on the lawn tractor. I have done all of their recommended service requirements. in 2021 I started having steering problems. I took it to the local dealer and it’s going to cost approximately $450 to repair. I called John Deere‘s customer service explaining to them that I have taken care of the tractor, I have less than 109 hours on The tractor and I would like them to stand behind the product that they advertise nothing runs like a deer. They quickly told me that their warranty is for two years or 110 hours.

I again explained I understand but I have taken Good care of the tractor meeting all of the recommended service requirements, and for a tractor to cost approximately 25% of the original purchase price in less than four years does not meet their advertisement of nothing runs like a deer. The response was, "We can’t help you." So this is why am am writing a review. If their tractor starts falling apart with only 109 hours on it I hate to think what’s going to happen in the future. I will never buy another John Deere product. I told them that and I advise that no one else supports a company that says their product runs like a deer, in fact The statement should say nothing runs like a deer when it’s dead. Don’t waste your money on John Deere.

Original review: May 11, 2021

These mowers are the biggest bunch of garbage I have ever seen. I have an E120 and it is a huge POS. For a company that has been around as long as John Deere, you would think they could make a riding mower that can pick up the cut grass without constantly getting clogged. I spend more time getting off the mower, clearing the tube of grass, putting it back together and all to do it all over again in 70 feet. It doesn't matter what I do. Now if I want to buy a $1500 blower attachment from John Deere, they say it will solve the problem. After spending $2500 on this POS, there's no way I buy anything else made by John Deere and neither should anyone else. Don't waste your time or money on these mowers!!!

Original review: April 18, 2021

Bought a D105 42" Mower from Lowe's in 2017. Worked great for 24.1 hours. Then started have issues where it would not move, and shifting became a problem. Very quickly went from being occasional to almost all the time. Now has 39.0 hours on it. There was a recall for same model, same manufacture time, same sales time, but my serial is not on the list of 25,000 they recalled. Same symptoms. Google search shows literally thousands of people in same boat. Transmission is plastic. JD won't respond and JD Dealer says since it's not on recall list. It's $1200+ to repair a $1500 mower with 39 hours on it. I would expect this from a Chinese knock off not a company like JD. Sad..

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I bought a new JD 3046r on Friday 13. Bad day... to buy. The tractor kept sounding an alarm at the dealer, it show manifold sensor check. Well dealer didn’t ever see that code before... Technician has not show up yet. Also quality is down said the salesman. I know that... The hanger that holds up the middle arm of 3 point hitch didn’t have a hole in it for a cotter pin. So why didn’t the cotter pin guy say there’s a problem here Huston... The representative argue with me at the Corp Headquarters, telling me his best friend is the head of quality control at that plant in Georgia. Well, maybe you should tell him. I was trying to get to the new CEO and tell him he has quality problem... Oh well, made Friday 20 is a better day to buy, I am also a stock holder. Thank goodness it’s up.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I grew up on a farm that used John Deere exclusively. My father in law was a John Deere mechanic, as were two of my sons. I had the utmost confidence in big green. No more. I purchased a new Z535R zero turn mower. A year after purchase the left side hydrostatic transmission went out under warranty. Now, just after the warranty expired the right side transmission went out. I take good care of it, after all it was was a $6000+ purchase. Also the starter solenoid went out. Now it's gonna be $1000+ out of my pocket that I can not afford. No more big green for me. I'm just glad my grandfather and father in law are not around to see how crappy JD products have become. Please don't take my word for it, read the other reviews.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Yes it runs and cuts perfectly. Never had any problems or issues with the mower. Although I wish that the seat could move back more to accommodate a six foot person and maybe a shorter turning radius.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

For many years I have used a self propelled Honda Lawn Mower, it did a great job, maintained it and after 25 years of service I decided to buy a rider. Most riders had similar engineering, features and price points. I was drawn to John Deere and eventually purchased one. I have been extremely pleased with its performance and have taken my lawn to the next level. Riders just do a better job, they're more powerful but most importantly they're a whole lot of fun. I actually look forward to mowing my lawn. I highly recommend John Deere "E" Series Lawn Tractors. Their service and support is also a plus and should definitely be considered when making a decision!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

It is a good overall riding mower, but the transmission disintegrated with less than 110 hours on the mower! The motor is still in good shape - everything still works. It would cost more to replace the transmission than the mower is worth!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

They might be a little more money to get the better models than the ones offered at the big box stores but my LA-125 has performed flawlessly for 14 years! I know people that bought the cheapest basic unit and they didn’t hold up. I have a neighbor that’s got a Toro 24 hp. Rider and has had good luck with his.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have not been happy with my John Deere. I use my buddy's Spartan mower whenever possible. It is a lot better mower than my John Deere. The parts for John Deere are high and do not seem to be very good quality anymore. My blades only last three cuttings before needing replaced. Soft metal. Do not sharpen well. I say forget John Deere and go Spartan mowers.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I have had this equipment for 5 years without any problems. I have tuned the machine myself with the package I purchased from John Deere. I have been able to convert the machine from a bagger to a mulcher with on problem.

John Deere Company Information