2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

John Deere Reviews

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

This is my second summer with my John Deere riding mower and the second summer it has torn up. Spent over 300 dollars last summer because dealer said they would not warranty My pulley because I didn’t grease it according to manual which I did. I am very OCD about all my equipment. Now same thing this summer. Prior to this mower I had a Craftsman for 28 years and put 1 pulley on it. I plan on selling this mower after this summer. Very disappointed!!!!

Original review: July 31, 2019

I bought the D105 Ride-on Lawnmower because I was always told that once you own a John Deere you wouldn't want anything else. Well, that was a load of crap. This lawnmower has been maintained since the first oil change. I have had in the shop 3 times for multiple problems. The tires are worthless! I really believe that the parts on this tractor are brought in from China and assembled here in the US. It is a poorly made machine. If you need it worked on, I don't suggest taking to a dealer repair shop because they know nothing about working on them and their customer service is non-existent. I call it customer NO Service.

I have had to have the wiring done twice because the original job done by the dealer's repair shop screwed up the wiring on it. I had to bring it to a local lawnmower shop and they finally got the wiring right. I have asked for mulching blades twice while in the dealer shop and they conveniently left them off twice. Once again, I brought it to the local repair shop and they installed the mulching blades for me. My Walmart Ride-on lawnmower was put together better than this and ran like a champ for 10 years. I will NEVER purchase another John Deere tractor if it is the last lawnmower on the market. I will just let the grass grow instead. I rated the Tractor 1 Star because 0 Stars for customer service and overall product was not available. You must be proud to build such a pile of crap! How do you sleep at night!

Original review: July 24, 2019

I purchased a John Deere 155c lawn tractor in 2006. I carefully maintained the tractor for the last 13 years. In the manual on page 26 it clearly states that the transmission needs no maintenance. I found this odd since any other lawn tractor I’ve owned required the fluid be flushed approximately every 3 years and the filter replaced. The John Deere transmission is sealed. However the instruction to not maintain the transmission is false. This year my transmission has lost power after 30 minutes of use. I changed the main drive belt to no avail.

A quick search of the internet depicted a much deeper problem. The transmission oil, motor and pump have worn down. I took the transmission off and dumped the oil. It was black and filled with filings. The new oil helped but the problem persists, the transmission has to be re built. It will cost me $800 Canadian just for the parts. This would not have happened had I changed the oil every three years. A call to John Deere did nothing they refuse to acknowledge their error in the manual nor will they reimburse me for the parts. If you have a John Deere lawn tractor, you must change the transmission oil or it will fail. I am so furious that I would like to start a class action suit against the company. The internet is full of stories about John Deere transmissions failing. I will never buy a John Deere product again and I advise anyone thinking about doing so should look elsewhere.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Bought new 2 months ago. 2 hours on it belt will not stay on. Trouble starting. Do not buy. Company does not respond. Should not have to deal with this on new machine. I wish John Deere cared about customer satisfaction. Will not buy another from this company.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I purchased a John Deere D155 lawn mower and the oil cap came off. The engine now needs to be replace. The incident happened inside my warranty time however, I didn't make my claim until 10 days after my warranty expired. If John Deere can find a way to deny your claim they will! I also want to say I believe the oil cap design is the problem. "No locking oil cap!" I was driving my John Deere and the oil cap loosened up causing oil to come out.

I since then have called a John Deere in Poulsbo, WA where I m tried to explain. Wow, the person hung up on me. I tried to talk to a manager and "Magnus" was not much better stating out of warranty and nothing he can do. I then decided to work with Washington State's largest dealership and I was quoted 1 month just to look at my machine. I since have been working with "Marvin" at John Deere customer service. He has proved to be quite difficult to talk to. He was accusing me not putting on the oil cap rather than the oil cap backing off. To sum it up, John Deere has horrible customer service skills choosing to argue than resolve, and a faulty design of the oil cap. (This I might have to get an attorney to prove) but it did happen to me. Stay away from John Deere Riding Lawn mowers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: July 9, 2019

After all that I've heard about the Deere, I dug down deep and spent over $3,000 on a Z-245, a zero turn, 48" cut mower. I was in heaven and now I can officially join all the retired guys who seem to have the Deere as their status symbol of being retired. Unfortunately, my Z-245 sprung an oil leak after only 6 years of use, and at the same time, one of the pistons quit firing. I took it in and the cost was $932.00. I had it serviced only 1 1/2 years ago, and that cost was also well over $500.00.

The oil leak was the most costly, since it required almost 8 hours of labor to remove the engine and replace the oil pan gasket, which failed at a point where the housing was very thin. I say that this is a design flaw and should have been on a recall. I decided to write to the CEO, Samuel Allen in Moline, Illinois, just to let him know of my disappointment. This did get some action as I received a phone call from a man representing the company who said that they were investigating the situation. One week later, the guy called back to say that there was nothing they could do, but I should have notified them before the repairs were made.

This all was more than I expected, and he did say that he was sending me a 35% off certificate for any parts that I might need. I said that I hoped that I wouldn't need any, and he said that he also hoped the same thing.

Truly, this will also be my last John Deere that I will own. My next-door neighbor has had his J.D. for 20 years, and I don't think that he's ever had it in the shop, just servicing as needed himself. I guess that they don't make them like they used to. I have to say that I'm now wishing that I would have bought another brand instead of this lemon. And from what I've read on other reviews, I agree that the company won't stand behind their product. What a shame. I did get the 35% off certificate, and it is only good until December, which is 5 months. I sure hope that I don't need it now, so what good is that?

Original review: July 8, 2019

My wife and I bought a house in 2016 with a yard just big enough to require a riding lawn mower. I debated on what brand to purchase and ultimately decided on purchasing a John Deere. After less than a year of use, I was informed of a recall on the transmission which I had gotten taken care of immediately. I was also informed that after 8 hours of use the oil needed to be changed, which I did. I store the lawn mower in the shed throughout the year and being in Pennsylvania, the grass gets cut 4-5 months out of the year.

Last week (about 33 months of owning the lawn mower) the engine blew out and left a gaping hole in the side where the starter attaches. The repair is a brand new engine ($800 total with labor). I took the mower to a service center and I contacted John Deere directly only to be interrupted and spoken to very rudely by their customer service person. They indicated that the lack of lubrication was due to not changing the oil, which I had, and they are not willing to help in any way. Lesson learned - I hear John Deere is a respected brand, but I guess that is when you are dealing with bigger farm equipment. I would not recommend a John Deere after my experience.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Poor cutting from the start and after only 150 hours and tender loving care, all of the deck pulleys (6) need to be replaced. I greased the three fittings every 5 hours. Also all of the clippings blow up on you and the deck, clogging the pulley covers. The engineering is poor. Let the buyer beware.

Original review: June 27, 2019

My uncle has an X354 riding lawnmower. The spindle tore out at about 133 hours. I believe this was due to the bolts not being tight. They charged him for a new deck, and wouldn't give him a refund. They said that it would have failed sooner if the spindle was not tightened correctly. My uncle does not operate the mower for the majority of his use... So that actually fits with his analysis... We should get a refund.

Then the replacement deck failed due to a crack at a weld. The same guy said that if it was a design or manufacturing flaw that it would have cracked at the weld... Duh... It cracked at the weld! Then it was dangling, and hit more stuff than we would ever let it hit. So the blades got chewed up. We are disgusted by this company and the dealer situation.

Original review: June 21, 2019

We decided to get a John Deere tractor a little over 10 years ago. It has been used for only lawn mowing, not a huge yard, and is constantly garaged. The machine needs a new cutting deck. The local dealer can't even be bothered to assist, but states there is nothing to be done, that there are no replacement parts. We have written to John Deere 2 weeks ago, and got the automatic response, No human being has responded to our "query", as they termed it. So what are we supposed to do--throw out a machine, which cost lots of money, after 10 years, because the manufacturer has no replacement parts? Don't buy a John Deere--their product doesn't last, and their customer service is non existent. There are plenty of other choices out there!

John Deere Company Information