3.76/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

705 John Deere Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

I purchased a John Deere D155 lawn mower and the oil cap came off. The engine now needs to be replace. The incident happened inside my warranty time however, I didn't make my claim until 10 days after my warranty expired. If John Deere can find a way to deny your claim they will! I also want to say I believe the oil cap design is the problem. "No locking oil cap!" I was driving my John Deere and the oil cap loosened up causing oil to come out.

I since then have called a John Deere in Poulsbo, WA where I m tried to explain. Wow, the person hung up on me. I tried to talk to a manager and "Magnus" was not much better stating out of warranty and nothing he can do. I then decided to work with Washington State's largest dealership and I was quoted 1 month just to look at my machine. I since have been working with "Marvin" at John Deere customer service. He has proved to be quite difficult to talk to. He was accusing me not putting on the oil cap rather than the oil cap backing off. To sum it up, John Deere has horrible customer service skills choosing to argue than resolve, and a faulty design of the oil cap. (This I might have to get an attorney to prove) but it did happen to me. Stay away from John Deere Riding Lawn mowers!

Original review: July 9, 2019

After all that I've heard about the Deere, I dug down deep and spent over $3,000 on a Z-245, a zero turn, 48" cut mower. I was in heaven and now I can officially join all the retired guys who seem to have the Deere as their status symbol of being retired. Unfortunately, my Z-245 sprung an oil leak after only 6 years of use, and at the same time, one of the pistons quit firing. I took it in and the cost was $932.00. I had it serviced only 1 1/2 years ago, and that cost was also well over $500.00.

The oil leak was the most costly, since it required almost 8 hours of labor to remove the engine and replace the oil pan gasket, which failed at a point where the housing was very thin. I say that this is a design flaw and should have been on a recall. I decided to write to the CEO, Samuel Allen in Moline, Illinois, just to let him know of my disappointment. This did get some action as I received a phone call from a man representing the company who said that they were investigating the situation. One week later, the guy called back to say that there was nothing they could do, but I should have notified them before the repairs were made.

This all was more than I expected, and he did say that he was sending me a 35% off certificate for any parts that I might need. I said that I hoped that I wouldn't need any, and he said that he also hoped the same thing.

Truly, this will also be my last John Deere that I will own. My next-door neighbor has had his J.D. for 20 years, and I don't think that he's ever had it in the shop, just servicing as needed himself. I guess that they don't make them like they used to. I have to say that I'm now wishing that I would have bought another brand instead of this lemon. And from what I've read on other reviews, I agree that the company won't stand behind their product. What a shame. I did get the 35% off certificate, and it is only good until December, which is 5 months. I sure hope that I don't need it now, so what good is that?

Original review: July 8, 2019

My wife and I bought a house in 2016 with a yard just big enough to require a riding lawn mower. I debated on what brand to purchase and ultimately decided on purchasing a John Deere. After less than a year of use, I was informed of a recall on the transmission which I had gotten taken care of immediately. I was also informed that after 8 hours of use the oil needed to be changed, which I did. I store the lawn mower in the shed throughout the year and being in Pennsylvania, the grass gets cut 4-5 months out of the year.

Last week (about 33 months of owning the lawn mower) the engine blew out and left a gaping hole in the side where the starter attaches. The repair is a brand new engine ($800 total with labor). I took the mower to a service center and I contacted John Deere directly only to be interrupted and spoken to very rudely by their customer service person. They indicated that the lack of lubrication was due to not changing the oil, which I had, and they are not willing to help in any way. Lesson learned - I hear John Deere is a respected brand, but I guess that is when you are dealing with bigger farm equipment. I would not recommend a John Deere after my experience.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Poor cutting from the start and after only 150 hours and tender loving care, all of the deck pulleys (6) need to be replaced. I greased the three fittings every 5 hours. Also all of the clippings blow up on you and the deck, clogging the pulley covers. The engineering is poor. Let the buyer beware.

Original review: June 27, 2019

My uncle has an X354 riding lawnmower. The spindle tore out at about 133 hours. I believe this was due to the bolts not being tight. They charged him for a new deck, and wouldn't give him a refund. They said that it would have failed sooner if the spindle was not tightened correctly. My uncle does not operate the mower for the majority of his use... So that actually fits with his analysis... We should get a refund.

Then the replacement deck failed due to a crack at a weld. The same guy said that if it was a design or manufacturing flaw that it would have cracked at the weld... Duh... It cracked at the weld! Then it was dangling, and hit more stuff than we would ever let it hit. So the blades got chewed up. We are disgusted by this company and the dealer situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Deere?

Original review: June 21, 2019

We decided to get a John Deere tractor a little over 10 years ago. It has been used for only lawn mowing, not a huge yard, and is constantly garaged. The machine needs a new cutting deck. The local dealer can't even be bothered to assist, but states there is nothing to be done, that there are no replacement parts. We have written to John Deere 2 weeks ago, and got the automatic response, No human being has responded to our "query", as they termed it. So what are we supposed to do--throw out a machine, which cost lots of money, after 10 years, because the manufacturer has no replacement parts? Don't buy a John Deere--their product doesn't last, and their customer service is non existent. There are plenty of other choices out there!

Original review: June 11, 2019

We bought a new gator and a 125 R lawn tractor based on the great service we received from our gator of 13 years. So far, the gator has been in the shop twice, once trying to do a cheap fix and then finally fixing it correctly, as they should have the first time. Today, with less than 5 hours, the 125 R blew oil all over the tractor deck, leaking from who knows where. The green paint lives on its previous quality which is sadly lacking these days. This equipment is way too expensive to fail this quickly.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Bought brand new. Transmission stopped working at 80 hrs. John Deere says bad luck, buy new transmission for another $1000. Not spending $1000 more on next to new tractor. Will be buying new mower again but won't be John Deere. Can't afford to buy major components every 2-3 years.

Original review: June 7, 2019

John Deere lawn tractor or snow blower?? If you want a nightmare, go for it! The John Deere lawn tractor and its snow blower are the worst products I have ever got! And the John Deere customer service is the worst one I have ever had! I bought this John Deere lawn tractor D105 from Lowe’s and its snow blower from its dealer Green Tractors by its sales recommendation. Both products were broken almost every time when I used them. Within one year, many of their parts, including the battery, belt, grip, handle, spring, pins, rod, took turns to break, and finally the D105 engine was broken in the early second summer! In the winter, I could not finish even once for a completed snow blowing. I eventually had to ask to return the snow blower.

After a long battle, the dealer finally took back the snow blower, but with my big lost. I paid them $3161, but got only $1745 refund. John Deere, its dealer Green Tractors, and Lowe’s refused to take back the crapping D105. They point their fingers to each other. Lowe’s told me I have to deal with John Deere. John Deere told me I have to deal with dealer. Dealer told me I have to deal with Lowe’s. As a result, I went into a dead loop. Not only that, John Deere dealer Green Tractors also charged me over $1000 to fix the above problems! Imaging these are blank new products, and they were within 1 year! Don’t you think this is enough??? Worst products, worst customer services, worst dealer! Avoid! Avoid!! Avoid!!!

Original review: June 5, 2019

6/5/2019: Just got off the phone with my local parts store and John Deere "Customer Service". I have a 2013 Z960R z-turn, paid a lot of money for this as it was billed to be the premier commercial grade z-turn. This machine has 640hrs easy home use and has been well serviced and garaged. Pull switch that engages the blades went bad.

Purchased the replacement rocker switch. Was told that JD had lots of problems with the pull switch, so they now supply a rocker switch and adapter replacement. Got the old switch out and now the rocker replacement is too big for the rectangular hole in the RH console. Called the dealer and told him that he gave me the wrong unit...Nope, it's the right unit...Just John Deere expects you to take a flat file and open up the hole so that the replacement fits.

Well, I don't know where to start with this total cluster FUBAR. As an engineer of 33 years and having spent some time in automotive Mechatronics product development, DVP&R and PVP&R is part of the process (Design and Product validation). Either JD's validation testing is garbage OR it failed and they put it into production anyway, knowing this switch was sub-standard. Then having a replacement, not issuing a recall and charging the customer for the switch AND expecting the customer to file the opening is just beyond reason! I have multiple JD equipment but NO MORE; John Deere my next purchase is a big one and will be a Kubota.

John Deere Company Information