Dixie Chopper

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was in the market for a quality mower. I shopped around and I was totally convinced on the Dixie Chopper. When I was ready to buy I went to Ross business on Lee Street. This guy was so rude I made up my mind to buy a mower elsewhere. And I did, and I bought a Exmark for 4 grand. So much for that. Lesson - do not be such a ** with your customers.

I purchased the Dixie Chopper in June 2017 from B & B Motors in Edgewood Texas. At the time I purchased it I was told it had a full 2 year warranty plus an additional year to cover parts. I believed at the time Dixie Chopper stood behind their products and this to be a legitimate dealer. The mower ran great until I had 15 hours on it. Then stopped running. I notified the sales person of my problem. He picked it up and returned it to B & B Motors for repairs. They then advised they were not a Koehler authorized dealer and took it to another shop in Sulpher Springs that was an authorized dealer. It was found the Koehler engine had a plastic Cam inside that had broke. Who would imagine you would put plastic inside of an engine. I had no assistance in resolving the issue. It was left up to me to do all of the leg work and several phone calls to Dixie Chopper & Kohler. 1 month later after all I went through finally my mower was returned.

When I received it I was looking forward to cutting my lawn that hadn't been cut for one month. The mower was hard to start. I was able to mow my front yard and now the belt has broken. When I turned the mower off it back fired and now once again it will not start. When I purchased the Dixie Chopper I paid almost $5,300.00 cash for it and was expecting to have a quality mower. I'm very disappointed with this product and do not recommend it to anyone. If you choose to purchase the Dixie Chopper I would make sure where you purchase it from that they are an authorized dealer for the motor installed on the mower. There is no doubt this is a LEMON.

I have owned my Dixie Chopper for 10 years and it has been a very dependable mower. Had a John Deere riding mower and it was too slow. Took hours to cut 3.5 acres. My Dixie Chopper 60" deck will do it in just over an hour. Sharpen the blades every winter and change the oils every other year. I have not had any problems with it. Very well built, heavy gauge steel deck. Strong unit. I wouldn't own another brand.

I first looked at the Dixie, tested it and was impressed. Then I purchased it and the problems began. The first issue was the ignition switch would work off and on. Dealer replaced and not long same problem. You have to turn it to on several times and it will work. Next was the emergency brake. From day 1 it didn't work right. I tried adjusting it and still doesn't work.

Next at around 650 hrs the engine blows 27 hp Generac. I thought it would be a good engine. It's great on my generators. About $2700 dollars later machine is back in service. After that a deck spindle went. There's no control with the levers, sloppiest I've ever ran. The power deck lift works nice when it works, you have to hit switch a few times. The dealer I bought this from stopped selling them, I can see why. I called customer service, wrote them and basically I was on my own, and by the way they suck on hills. That's my experience with the fastest mower that they brag about. I would have to give this machine a thumbs down. I'll stick with the ExMark's best machines I've ran by far. Thanks for the hard and expensive lesson Dixie Chopper.

I purchased this 2750 Classic Zero Turn Mower because of the design, simplicity and ease of maintenance of the mower which I do myself. I love the mower, its performance and mowing capability. My major complaint is bearing quality. My mower has less than 250 hours on it and I have already had to replace two idler pulleys that had bearings lock up and one of the blades hub bearing assembly because of bearing failure. When I disassembled the hub assembly, I see where the bearings are made in China. I am in the auto repair business and Chinese bearings are a no-no.

Bearing failure has been my only complaint with the Dixie Chopper, and I would expect them to last far longer than 250 hours. The only positive thing I can say is the ease of failed part replacement thus far. The battery lasted 9 years!! This mower is not used commercially, I use it to maintain my home lawn which is on a 1.5 acre lot with Bermuda grass. The mower is well maintained and not abused. I love the mower, I am just a little upset with the quality of bearing being used.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dixie Chopper?

Purchased a residential zero-turn mower, the price was comparable to other brands and good quality for the price. Fast mower, no problems to-date. The mower has a parking brake and seat switch as safety features. Also has a quick raise deck to help avoid running over objects. PTO on/off is located in a convenient spot. Never owned another zero-turn, but the mower is quick with low profile tires for easier turns and faster turning around trees and other objects. Have only had the mower for a little more than a year but have not had any issues with durability or mechanical features. Great mower so far.

The cost outweighed the usefulness. We use it consistently and we're thrilled with the quality of the product. My husband is happy to use it on a weekly basis. We feel very secure using it because the safety feature make us feel safe. We feel safe using it while the kids and dogs are out and about. The speed is great. It takes less time to get the job accomplished because the speed is awesome. We are finished way before we used to be with our old one. I feel like this will last for a long time. We have not had to replace any parts yet which is AWESOME. The value of that is incredible.

Was very happy with the product and would recommend it for the value of the cost of the product and the availability of it. It was easy to.operate and the instructions were clear. The safety features were easy to understand and were explained well. They were marked clearly and they were easy to access on the product and I think my friends would enjoy it. I only rate this satisfied because it was not the fastest, but it did the job and it was smooth and easy to use. Did not have any issues that were not normal and it is something I would tell all my friends about.

The price is great. It is one of the reasons I chose them. Then I found the service is outstanding. It is great to know you made right choice. It has so many features. I always felt safe and at ease. Thanks for keeping me safe. The speed was amazing. I'm talking real cool. I love how I did not have to wait and everything was done in a flash. I would recommend and endorse. Very durable. No worries when it as powerful as this. I had cheap before. I went with the best.

It is reliable and Durable. The most effective equipment I've ever used. My family has used this for a couple years never had a problem with it. Always work well. It's a very safe product that gives you the ability to do things at a sturdy and safe level. You have the ability to make things get done quick and efficient. The speed is one of the reasons why I chose this product. It makes things a lot quicker and you feel that you have more things to do in the day. It's a very strong part of its my second feature that I absolutely love because it is something that I will not have to place for years on it.

I think it was worth every dollar I spent. I have bought mowers in the past, but none of them compare to this one. I'm another satisfied customer. I think that the lawn mower is very safe. I've had some that I would never allow other people to use due to its lack of safety condition. This one is not one of those. This is a unique mower. I think the speed is nice and subtle. Nothing too hard and easy to use. I would recommend this product to anyone. The speed is just where it needs to be I wouldn't change anything about it. I think it is built to last. The materials that were used to craft this pristine machine are of immaculate quality. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted for the next ten years.

For the horsepower in the machine I bought, the value was well worth the price. The Dixie chopper is one of the best lawnmowers I have ever used! I like that you can open and close the discharge side of the deck from your seat for safety reasons. I also think the parking brake is a great feature as well. I can zip around my 3 acre lawn in no time with my Dixie chopper. It used to take me 4 hours to mow, but that's been cut in half now! It only takes about 2. I've had a Dixie chopper for about ten years. I love how it lasts forever so I don't have to buy a whole new one. Parts are easy to find and install.

It is adorable, even if you only make medium wage. They also help with the first as far as finding something that fits within your budget. Great safety features. Any sharp objects are covered in the event you miss step or anything of that nature. Safety was never an issue with their product. Extremely fast. Something that I thought would take me a long time based on previous equipment I was able to do in half the time with this product. Even after I have had the equipment crew for over 7 months, it still runs exactly the same the day I first used it. I would say it's reliable and durable.

Easy to clean up. Easy to work on. Not easily broken or wear down. I use it every day and I find that it continues to hold up month after month. It seems to be as safe as other options in this category. But I just seem to feel safer when riding it. I like all the safety features it comes with. I wouldn't mind if it had a higher top end speed. Seems to have a governor, which helps the safety features but doesn't help with Speed. I use it everyday. These things are built like they were in the old days. I find it very comforting knowing that they still make like they always have.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dixie Chopper got its start in 1980 in Greencastle, Indiana, by creating the first commercial zero-turn mower.

• Made in the USA: These riding mowers are manufactured entirely in the United States.
  • Financing: Individuals and businesses use financing plans to spread the cost of the riding mower into monthly payments.
  • Multiple mower models: Dixie Chopper services have all three primary riding mower applications including residential, commercial and industrial models.
  • 5-year warranty: The riding mower owner has protection against problems for five years.
  • Up to 36 HP: Powerful engines provide extremely fast mower speeds.
  • Best for Commercial, industrial and residential users who need a fast mower option.

Compare Riding Mower