2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.89/5

Dixie Chopper Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dixie Chopper?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dixie Chopper?

Original review: April 10, 2021

Only bought this brand because 1. Family owned business, 2. Endorsed by "Duck Dynasty". Bought a 2750T "Classic" - Commercial rated mower/5.5 acres hour. Bought a 2012 model 08/27/2014. Used to mow my residence, approximately 30 hrs/season. It is an operations nightmare: 1. Ignition switch disconnected within 8 hrs. Had to reattach the connector to the switch(!) 2. Electrical connections corroded from washing unit - had to use CRC "QD Electronic Cleaner" to clean connections, CRC "Wire Dryer" to confirm connections were dry and dielectric grease to seal connections. 3. Electrical connection disconnected from right steering handle. Had to do major disassembly to reconnect (similar to 1 above).

Now the REAL NIGHTMARE- unit is uncontrollable. Operating instructions require max power/rpm. Unit jumps/jerks/overreacts in extreme and dangerous manners. It could literally throw the operator off of the unit...NOT BUILT FOR CHILDREN or INEXPERIENCED OPERATORS. Mine was recalled twice. Issue was not resolved. I have had almost constant communication with DC on a yearly basis. They act concerned but they DO NOT CARE. FYI: 12/05/2018 I spoke to "Steve" in Service. He was unable to offer any advice as "Plant is closed, too much inventory and no sales." Rumored DC was closing. Latest attempt was December, 2020 thru March, 2021. Nothing resolved.

Pulleys/Bearings are JUNK - Paid $672.76 10/06/2020; $547.76 went to dealer. Unit had 156hrs! Divide $547.76 by 156hr = $4.31/hr operation FROM NEW! THIS IS NOT A SAFE MOWER TO USE, IT IS POORLY CONSTRUCTED WITH INFERIOR COMPONENTS. It is overrated as being commercial grade/quality but it can cause serious harm to the operator. My 8 year old grandson mowed my yard with my 60" Snapper ZTR, NOT THIS ONE! I've seen videos of a dog operating a ZTR, NOT THIS ONE.

In conclusion, DC tells me it is out of warranty and they want to sell me a lesser, used model with more hours AND NO WARRANTY. I AM FED UP. I DO NOT WANT THIS MOWER, I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND DC TO ANYONE. I was sold a poorly designed death trap of a ZTR. CAVEAT EMPTOR - "LET THE BUYER BEWARE".

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

The mower is plenty strong, plenty fast, but if you care about what your lawn looks like, don't buy the Zee 2 mower. The grass packs up in the mower deck, then is spit out in bunches. When finished mowing, my lawn looks terrible. If the lawn is slightly damp, growth any above minimal, or heavily crabgrass (as is often the case in Kentucky in late summer), then the lawn will not look good. To make the grass scatter well, I have to get my 'yard sale' TroyBilt out of the garage. I paid too much for a nice mower to have these problems.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Two years ago, I bought a 60 inch BlackHawk, with a 24hp Kawasaki engine, online. To take delivery, a friend lowered the unit from the delivery truck with his Bobcat. It started right up and ran well for 96 hours. Then a large spring broke under the seat that rendered the unit inoperable. The repair was only $100 plus pick-up and delivery, but I needed the oil changed and blade sharpened anyway, so it wasn't a big loss. While I'm concerned that a mower that should last about 2,000 hours had a simple malfunction at 96 hours, I am glad I bought a Dixie Chopper.

The performance is very good. It gets the job done beautifully and quickly and, with that one exception, has been completely reliable. It is comfortable and easy to operate. The unit pulls a little to one side, so it's not easy to go full speed on the straight-aways, but I expect this could be adjusted without great difficulty. The tires tend to lose air, though not much and not often, so I bought an inexpensive compressor, about $40, to keep them inflated. The air filter is easy to change after 50 hours and may be bought online cheaply. My BlackHawk has not been perfect, but it I am happy with its performance.

Original review: July 5, 2020

Bought my Eagle HP 3160 in August 2018. Long story short After 1 weeks the mower would run for 10 minutes then die. Suspension seat rub hole in the line. It took 3 weeks for Dixie Chopper to get parts to dealer. 3 weeks and the right wheel motor starting pushing hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir. 3 day fix. 1 Week later reservoir take broke. 4 days to fix. In April this year (2020) plastic idler pulley for transmission broke. 4 weeks for part replacement. July 2nd clutch bearing went out. Have to replace clutch $400. It is under warranty but there is not a dixie chopper dealer within 2 hours of me. Tried to send email to dixie chopper customer service. To my surprise their email is not available. Time to look for another mower, should not have this many problems out of a $10,000 mower.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I have a 2014 model, one of the originals before the company was sold sometime in 2014 until closed in 2018 and sold again in the fall of 2019. I find it important that the original DC was about the best you could buy short of a Ferris. I accidentally came across this page and saw all the negative reviews about Dixie Choppers. All the negative comments seem to be from between 14 to 18. However some of the comments I read made me wonder how they find their way to the bathroom in the morning. Anyways my unit is 6 yrs old, I mow about 4 acres. I've mowed grass knee high in my field down to Zoysia in my front yard with ease. I keep it clean, grease the spindles 2 - 3 times a season and still have the original belt after 6 yr. I mow from March to first of Nov and replace the blades 2 times a season... a sharp blade is a good thing.

The point I'm making is DC are a fine commercial mower and I wouldn't trade mine in for the world. I suspect the quality went downhill between 2015 to 2018 by some of the comments, but a new company has purchased the company and I would remember that when deciding if you want to buy a mower of this caliber. All I can say is my DC is built like a tank and I've never had a issue in the 6 yrs I've own mine.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Dixie Chopper has no customer service. My top of the line Turbo diesel has broken down countless times. They put junk rebuilt parts on it at 38 hours. Their attitude is terrible. I have redesigned two areas of the mower that needs to be recalled and they had no interest in helping their customers even when I gave them what I did free. I have patents in other areas and did major improvements for little cost. They have the fuel system pulling from two tanks only to return to one. Such pressure was built up in one that it bent the frame and ruptured the fuel cap spilling fuel everywhere. After I found the problem, they did install a second return. They knew what was wrong but wouldn't fix it till I threatened legal action. Their engineering is extremely poor and they won't fix what they did. Don't buy DC.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We have Dixie Chopper mower with 259 hours of use that is four years old. We bought it because of the deck being a welded deck that was supposed to last longer than the stamped decks on cheaper mowers. We were having the same problem with those decks after about three or four years. I called to see if the company would do anything about this issue. I was told that the warranty does not cover sandblasting. It seems like we paid over $5000 for the same problem that we were having with mowers that cost less than $1500. This mower has broke 9 deck belts in the last year and a half. I also just replaced the idler pulley and thought that that was the problem with the belts. Four hours later, another broken belt. Thanks for charging me so much for a piece of junk Dixie Chopper. I will not buy another one or recommend it to anybody else.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I bought this machine new back in 04'. It has only been good to me since except for things on my end. I blew the engine up at 750 hours due to low oil. And I bent a caster fork because I did not set a jack right doing tires. Problems on the machine include, a wet starter switch caused it to fail, the clutch is slipping some but there is 1500 hours on it, and a poorly designed idler failure which was fixed a year later. I also replaced the right side deck bearing at about 1000 hours preventatively as it was starting to get sloppy. At 1500 the left side and center are starting to get sloppy so they are going to get replaced when the our other rider (simplicity) is fixed. Overall It is a good, solid machine with plenty of life in it.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Worst Mower Ever. The engine is the best thing about this machine. It is Kawasaki 24 HP. Its starts fast and runs strong. The deck is extremely heavy so if you are a teen or older adult the deck raising system is very heavy under your leg and you have to rock the pedal in place to hold it up. My wife can not raise or lower it. The tires are worthless. They don't self clean and have very little grooves cut out so if there is any moisture on the grass in shady areas you simply spin and slide. The parking brake is a joke. You start the unit up and it immediately starts reversing. All four tires go flat between weekends. The rims don't seal well to the tire beads. I passed my John Deere zero turn down to my oldest and I wish I would have bought another Deere instead.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Looks good but not user friendly. Electrical connections are not waterproof and they disconnect (fall off). Controls are hypersensitive. You can literally be thrown off of mower. It pitches and bucks so badly.

Dixie Chopper author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dixie Chopper got its start in 1980 in Greencastle, Indiana, by creating the first commercial zero-turn mower.

• Made in the USA: These riding mowers are manufactured entirely in the United States.

• Financing: Individuals and businesses use financing plans to spread the cost of the riding mower into monthly payments.

• Multiple mower models: Dixie Chopper services have all three primary riding mower applications including residential, commercial and industrial models.

• 5-year warranty: The riding mower owner has protection against problems for five years.

• Up to 36 HP: Powerful engines provide extremely fast mower speeds.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team