4.7/5 (1581 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About Anthony & Sylvan Pools

Anthony & Sylvan Pools is a premier builder of inground concrete and fiberglass swimming pools. Since 1946, we have designed and installed more than 370,000 pools for home owners all across the nation. Our pools are easy to maintain and built for life. With additions such as vanishing edges, raised spas and rock waterfalls your pool is an oasis in your backyard.

Pros

• Accessibility and safety features
  • Complete customization available
  • Lifetime warranty available

Cons

• Retail stores not widely available

Bottom Line

Anthony & Sylvan builds, renovates and maintains custom pools. With tons of features to choose from, most customers should be able to design their ideal pool with Anthony & Sylvan.

Top Anthony & Sylvan Pools Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've been with Anthony & Sylvan since 1994. They've always been responsive and they don't make it a habit of trying to sell you something you don't need. So, that's much apprecia...

Verified

Anthony & Sylvan installed our pool some years ago. I've gone around to a number of different pool service providers and [came] back to them. I like Anthony & Sylvan's service guy...

Anthony & Sylvan Pools

Anthony & Sylvan Pools is a professional in-ground swimming pool company that builds, renovates and maintains pools with a variety of styles, features and options.

FeatureOptions
Pool typesChlorine, saltwater
Pool finishesConcrete, fiberglass
Pool designsGeometric, modern, freeform, beach entry (aka zero entry), custom design
OptionsTile and mosaics, coping, decking, lighting, fencing
FeaturesWater features, vanishing edges, sunken barbeque pits, beach entries, raised spas with spillways
Safety and AccessibilityKid-friendly pool customizations, handicap accessibility
EquipmentAutomatic controls, pool cleaning systems, pumps and filters, water purifiers, heaters, safety covers

Environmentally responsible pools

Anthony & Sylvan use environmentally-friendly designs, products and systems that are safe for both you and the environment. Special features include high-efficiency pumps, LED lighting and intelligent filtration systems, with saltwater systems that can purify water even when the filter pump isn’t active. The Zodiac Nature2 Fusion In-ground and the Del Ozone Eclipse Ozonator reduce the need for harsh chemicals and eliminate bacteria by up to 90%, naturally.

Handicap accessible pools

Customize your pool with handicap-accessible options including lifts, ramps and walk-in pools (also referred to as beach access pools), so everyone in your family can enjoy the pool or spa safely.

Kid-friendly pools

Anthony & Sylvan can make sure your pool is a fun, safe addition to your home by adding-on safety features including non-slip decking, fencing, gates, covers and barricades to prevent accidents and limit access when you’re not able to supervise.

Anthony & Sylvan pool prices

Because Anthony & Sylvan offers so much customization with their pools, you’ll need to contact the company directly for an exact quote. However, they do have a general price guide that provides a range of $45,000 or under for something basic, to $100,000 and up for a more complex, customized pool.

Anthony & Sylvan pool services

Anthony & Sylvan can help maintain your pool once it’s installed. There’s a simple, easy-access scheduling tool online to book your services, or you can elect to purchase packages to receive regularly scheduled pool maintenance.

Anthony & Sylvan can help with the following services:

• Opening and closing
  • Cleaning
  • Equipment repair
  • Warranty service
  • Water testing

Packages are available for regular maintenance in the categories of pool opening and closing, chemical packages and winter watch services. You can also buy closing kits and start-up kits.

Anthony & Sylvan Pool supplies

You can buy pool supplies, equipment, chemicals and accessories online or in-person at Anthony & Sylvan retail stores located in the mid-Atlantic region — specifically Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Do we recommend Anthony & Sylvan pools?

Anthony & Sylvan pools offer customers several options when it comes to designing the perfect pool. If you are looking for a more extravagant experience, we think Anthony & Sylvan have great features and add-ons for a wholly customized pool experience. What really makes them stand out to us is their dedication to accessibility, safety and their environmentally conscious options.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthony & Sylvan Pools?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I had my pool put in in the summer of 2020. I had a few bumps along the way but nothing to write a review about. The problem came when I noticed my drain was missing most of its screws. After many attempts of looking and trying to find what the issue was, we found it. The bottom drain was stepped on when plastering the pool which made the middle of it wider, so the screws don't line up. Fast forward to now November of 2021 my drain is still not fixed. No one will return my emails because they know they have to drain the pool, to fix this issues they knew about from the very start.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2021

If you want a great sales experience and then no delivery this is the vendor for you. Terrible execution, terrible communication, but exceptional billing practices. The only thing that was on time or ahead of schedule was the bill or an offer for upselling. We contracted in October of 2020 and as of today July 2021 we only have a concrete hole- no water, no gas line, etc. They don't have anything but a sales team- they are resellers with subs. They then blame the relationship with the subs negating any responsibility. I gave AS the $100K not the subs.

They blame COVID, what they should say is we had a high demand took on too many jobs and have screwed a ton of people. They start the job and they take the lion's share of the money and then they leave you for weeks with no work and no call backs. They barely reply and when they do it is just "sorry". No offer of alternatives, etc. They could offer to fund a town pool membership or throw in a pool cover on the $100K spend- but instead they offer nothing. I would run from this vendor.

Original review: July 1, 2021

This is the worst company I’ve had to deal with. I would give it -5 stars if it were possible. They had so many issues that I am not sure how this company is still in business. They did construction for my pool for almost 12 months. YES, ALMOST 12 (TWELVE) MONTHS. We signed the contract in early March 2020, and the pool was completed in February 2021. That’s unbelievable. A lot of my neighbors have built pools in 3 months – they started after me and finished construction before mine was finished. Now, I understand why no one in my neighborhood used this company for pool contraction, as this company just a crap. I had the impression that my pool designer (Jeff) believed that he was doing me a favor by designing my pool. All changes that I asked him to make took him several weeks to apply, even small changes like moving equipment from one location to another.

The employees of this company do not know what customer communication is. If you are lucky, they will reply to your emails in two weeks, but it usually took three weeks. Even if you remind them during these weeks, they keep silent and do not answer any questions about your project. Sometimes, to force them to reply you have to CC the VP of the company. It took this company 5 months to get city approval, really? It took less than a month for all of my neighbors who used a different company. They failed with the Home Owner Association application. It had to be submitted two times before approval was received (this took almost an additional one and a half of months). How is this possible for a company who’s supposed to deal with this all the time?

They always failed to do construction on schedule. All requests for providing updates on the current work were ignored almost all the time. This company does not really know what it means to keep the customer updated on progress. You must demand it, and demand it several times before you get a response. You really have to push this company to continue construction. That is ridiculous. This company does not know how to manage their contractors. Several times, contractors arrived with incorrect blueprints, which were corrected several months ago. Same thing with equipment – it was upgraded during the early stages of design but the contractors brought the old equipment. It took this company more than two months to replace the old equipment with the correct one.

The construction manager appeared only three or four times during the 7 months of actual construction. Instead of him controlling what the contractors were doing, assuming they were doing it according to the design in the first place, this responsibility fell on you (and you don’t get paid for it). Yes, you have to watch the contractors and make sure that they do things according to the design. In my case, I had to stop the contractors several times and tell them that this is not what I have in the pool blueprint copies provided to me. The contractors had to leave (for another several weeks) before they obtained the correct copy of the blueprints. This company does not know how to manage documents, how to update them, and how to share them with their contractors.

Beware about pool equipment. This company gives you entry level equipment and does not provide any options during the design stage. You have to notice this by yourself and tell them that you do not want this crap. This company failed the city inspection several times. If you’d like to be excited about your new pool, go with a different company and stay away from these guys. If you prefer pain and suffering during your pool construction, this company is definitely a top pick.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Do your research and see that we are among many leaving a review about how Anthony&Sylvan treat their customers after they’ve received most or all $$$. If you have a problem after they have their money, they don’t care. Their scheduling is horrible. They must have a bad reputation with their vendors too because they can’t get work completed in a timely manner. We were patient and understanding. We were told 10-12 weeks. A few days ago we found out it will be another month before we have the next step completed. Making our pool at least a 20 week project.

This put our daughter in tears because she has been hoping for a pool party for her 18th. We were told they would be done by then as it gave Anthony&Sylvan 20 weeks from dig to completion. So I called and left messages and emailed - asking nicely if there was anything that could be done. I understood it may not work, but for my daughter it was worth a try. THEIR RESPONSE WAS A THREAT!!! That’s right, Chris called my husband and he said he couldn’t do anything. My husband wasn’t as nice as me. Chris said, “Well I could always push schedule back.“ Who threatens an understandable upset customer with even worse service?!? That was the last straw for me. I can’t believe we gave these guys $75000. All we have for it is a heartbroken daughter and a concrete hole that is deteriorating as it sits for months.

Oh there is more. As our pool sits midconstruction, it’s cracking, equipment is leaking, and we still have another month to wait and see what else is ruined by the heat when it’s meant to have water. My husbands concern is that they must have a horrible relationship with their vendors too. It would explain a lot. Horrible business practice. They must think they’re too big to touch.

Original review: May 22, 2021

I contracted with Anthony and Sylvan last year. I was promised a pool would be completed by now. Instead I am living in a construction site for months. They dug a hole, did some work and left. No one not even the CEO will respond. What a mess. I wish I never started with them. If I could I would take a shovel myself and just close this hole. Horrible customer service. Also every step of the way you get hours sometimes minutes to pay or they have their subs leave. No advanced notice that they are coming till the last moment. They have been ghosting me for weeks.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Everything was great with my experience with Anthony & Sylvan. Everything went as planned. It was laid out. They listened to me at the design, they followed up on the dates that they gave me and they stayed in communication. Anything that I had questions on, they answered. They finished on time and I'm swimming already.

Original review: April 21, 2021

We interviewed several builders and most of them were terrified when they looked at the slope. Our house is kind of on a hill. When Brian with Anthony & Sylvan came out to meet with us, he said, "This is not a problem. We can do this." He had a lot of ideas and he took our ideas too. We had a unique landscape and there were several things that we were kind of looking for. He came back with a design that worked perfectly.

Jake was our project manager and he was very responsive. There was one day we had an issue between the contractor and them. He got back to me very quickly and it got resolved very quickly. His reports were very well detailed and there were lots of pictures. He was available if I had any questions so that worked out really well too. Anthony & Sylvan did everything they said they were gonna do on time at the price that they quoted me. I couldn't be happier. The pool turned out really nice. All my neighbors have been by and said it's a great pool.

Original review: April 9, 2021

We decided on Anthony & Sylvan based on a promise of not having a hole in my yard for months on in and a desire for strong customer service. So we have received neither. Even though they were fully aware of old pond and assured us it would not an issue we had to pay a extra fee of $500 after being told no additional cost will be added. The people who dug the hole called said they would be Monday, showed up Friday unannounced. We asked if they worked Saturday, so we could let our neighbors know and was NO. They showed up at 7:00 am. When digging the hole for the pool they over dug and did not compact the soil properly so again we are be charged another cost overrun of $2500. And still have a empty hole in yard over a month. They never return phone calls in a timely fashion. Very displeased.

Original review: April 7, 2021

Ryan who was my project designer was awesome. The sky was the limit with him. My project manager was Ray and he was great to work with though it felt like he was stretched really thin with all the pools that were being put in last year by Anthony & Sylvan. There were a few snafus that could have been caught if he would have been here but that wasn't his fault.

I love the whole pool. I'm kind of borderline with the size of the pool and the heater that I have. I have the biggest heater that there is but my pool is 28,000 gallons. I tried heating it up for spring break for the kids and it never would get to 80 degrees. I wish I could have got it bigger and we got a lot more features. But Anthony & Sylvan did a great job. We didn't even price out. Their reviews is what sells a lot of people as far as their lifetime warranty and their warranty calls. A neighbor had had some issues with her ozone generator. Come to find out, water was getting inside of it. She got Brody, the Sylvan tech, out there and they processed everything under warranty.

There's a little clouded area on what could be considered warranty or not but you shouldn't have a problem less than a year after your pool's installed. I commend Anthony & Sylvan for their warranty and the way they stand behind their product. If I didn't like something, I was told like, "Tell us if you didn't like it 'cause we'll fix it. This pool's gonna be here for life." There were little nitpicking things that everybody worked out and overall, I'm very happy with it.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Our designer, Patrick, was the reason that we locked in on Anthony & Sylvan. However, we were very disappointed in terms of the scheduling and what they told us versus what actually happened. There was a lot of delay. They promised it would be built within 12 to 16 weeks but it was more around 20 weeks. The holidays got in the way and they said the weather got in the way too but they should have figured that in. When they say 12 to 16 weeks, maybe they need to say 12 to 20 weeks.

Another thing is we told them in the very beginning that we had drainage issues that needed to be fixed. We told every contractor that came too. It wasn't until they finished the pool that they started getting serious about it. They were talking about having to tear out the travertine patio to put the pipe under. But they ended up putting a drainage pipe around our wall. They fixed it in the end but it should have been fixed when we told them in the beginning. Also, they had a lot of contractors that did horrible things to our neighbor's yard. A truck, for instance, ran into our neighbor's yard and ran over his irrigation heads. Another truck ran into his mailbox and destroyed it.

When they were building the pool, the water was running into the neighbor on the other side of us and into their yard. Their backyard was flooded. That happened on a weekend and I called the project manager. He told me he was out of town and he would not be able to get to it for a day or two. In the meantime, our neighbors were really upset with us. Even on a weekend, they should have had a contingency plan if an emergency happens. They should have been able to get it fixed. Instead, our neighbors were sitting there with a flooded yard because it was a weekend and they couldn't do anything.

I continually was emailing the general manager as well as the project manager but the general manager was a little dismissive and I expected better from him. If I were the general manager and had feedback coming in from someone building a pool this size, I would be a little more empathetic and a little more on it than what he was. They heard everything that was going on but they kept saying, “Well, this is a really big construction project.” It is a big construction project but we don't want our neighbor's yards affected by this work. That kind of put a really bad taste in our mouth going through all this.

I did recommend Anthony & Sylvan to one of our neighbors who is having an Anthony & Sylvan pool built in their yard. Supposedly, they're giving me a $500 Amazon gift card for doing that recommendation. I filled out all the paperwork but I have not yet seen that gift card. There seems like a lot of struggle in getting things done and it shouldn't be that way. It should be one email and it's done. But here we are several months after it's built and we love our pool. It is very nice. It's 50 feet long and 16 feet wide. It's got a hot tub, a three sheer descents and travertine decking all around on the stone wall. I like the fact that we can swim in it instead of just jumping in and cooling down. We wanted it for exercise and swimming and the hot tub is great for relaxing.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools Company Information