2. Homeowners
  3. Pool Companies

4.1/5 (113 ratings)

About Anthony & Sylvan Pools

Anthony & Sylvan Pools is a premier builder of inground concrete and fiberglass swimming pools. Since 1946, we have designed and installed more than 370,000 pools for home owners all across the nation. Our pools are easy to maintain and built for life. With additions such as vanishing edges, raised spas and rock waterfalls your pool is an oasis in your backyard.

Pros

• Accessibility and safety features
  • Complete customization available
  • Lifetime warranty available

Cons

• Retail stores not widely available

Bottom Line

Anthony & Sylvan builds, renovates and maintains custom pools. With tons of features to choose from, most customers should be able to design their ideal pool with Anthony & Sylvan.

Top Anthony & Sylvan Pools Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We've been with Anthony & Sylvan since 1994. They've always been responsive and they don't make it a habit of trying to sell you something you don't need. So, that's much apprecia...

Verified

Anthony & Sylvan installed our pool some years ago. I've gone around to a number of different pool service providers and [came] back to them. I like Anthony & Sylvan's service guy...

Anthony & Sylvan Pools

Anthony & Sylvan Pools is a professional in-ground swimming pool company that builds, renovates and maintains pools with a variety of styles, features and options.

FeatureOptions
Pool typesChlorine, saltwater
Pool finishesConcrete, fiberglass
Pool designsGeometric, modern, freeform, beach entry (aka zero entry), custom design
OptionsTile and mosaics, coping, decking, lighting, fencing
FeaturesWater features, vanishing edges, sunken barbeque pits, beach entries, raised spas with spillways
Safety and AccessibilityKid-friendly pool customizations, handicap accessibility
EquipmentAutomatic controls, pool cleaning systems, pumps and filters, water purifiers, heaters, safety covers

Environmentally responsible pools

Anthony & Sylvan use environmentally-friendly designs, products and systems that are safe for both you and the environment. Special features include high-efficiency pumps, LED lighting and intelligent filtration systems, with saltwater systems that can purify water even when the filter pump isn’t active. The Zodiac Nature2 Fusion In-ground and the Del Ozone Eclipse Ozonator reduce the need for harsh chemicals and eliminate bacteria by up to 90%, naturally.

Handicap accessible pools

Customize your pool with handicap-accessible options including lifts, ramps and walk-in pools (also referred to as beach access pools), so everyone in your family can enjoy the pool or spa safely.

Kid-friendly pools

Anthony & Sylvan can make sure your pool is a fun, safe addition to your home by adding-on safety features including non-slip decking, fencing, gates, covers and barricades to prevent accidents and limit access when you’re not able to supervise.

Anthony & Sylvan pool prices

Because Anthony & Sylvan offers so much customization with their pools, you’ll need to contact the company directly for an exact quote. However, they do have a general price guide that provides a range of $45,000 or under for something basic, to $100,000 and up for a more complex, customized pool.

Anthony & Sylvan pool services

Anthony & Sylvan can help maintain your pool once it’s installed. There’s a simple, easy-access scheduling tool online to book your services, or you can elect to purchase packages to receive regularly scheduled pool maintenance.

Anthony & Sylvan can help with the following services:

• Opening and closing
  • Cleaning
  • Equipment repair
  • Warranty service
  • Water testing

Packages are available for regular maintenance in the categories of pool opening and closing, chemical packages and winter watch services. You can also buy closing kits and start-up kits.

Anthony & Sylvan Pool supplies

You can buy pool supplies, equipment, chemicals and accessories online or in-person at Anthony & Sylvan retail stores located in the mid-Atlantic region — specifically Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Do we recommend Anthony & Sylvan pools?

Anthony & Sylvan pools offer customers several options when it comes to designing the perfect pool. If you are looking for a more extravagant experience, we think Anthony & Sylvan have great features and add-ons for a wholly customized pool experience. What really makes them stand out to us is their dedication to accessibility, safety and their environmentally conscious options.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthony & Sylvan Pools?

Original review: April 6, 2021

Our designer, Patrick, was the reason that we locked in on Anthony & Sylvan. However, we were very disappointed in terms of the scheduling and what they told us versus what actually happened. There was a lot of delay. They promised it would be built within 12 to 16 weeks but it was more around 20 weeks. The holidays got in the way and they said the weather got in the way too but they should have figured that in. When they say 12 to 16 weeks, maybe they need to say 12 to 20 weeks.

Another thing is we told them in the very beginning that we had drainage issues that needed to be fixed. We told every contractor that came too. It wasn't until they finished the pool that they started getting serious about it. They were talking about having to tear out the travertine patio to put the pipe under. But they ended up putting a drainage pipe around our wall. They fixed it in the end but it should have been fixed when we told them in the beginning. Also, they had a lot of contractors that did horrible things to our neighbor's yard. A truck, for instance, ran into our neighbor's yard and ran over his irrigation heads. Another truck ran into his mailbox and destroyed it.

When they were building the pool, the water was running into the neighbor on the other side of us and into their yard. Their backyard was flooded. That happened on a weekend and I called the project manager. He told me he was out of town and he would not be able to get to it for a day or two. In the meantime, our neighbors were really upset with us. Even on a weekend, they should have had a contingency plan if an emergency happens. They should have been able to get it fixed. Instead, our neighbors were sitting there with a flooded yard because it was a weekend and they couldn't do anything.

I continually was emailing the general manager as well as the project manager but the general manager was a little dismissive and I expected better from him. If I were the general manager and had feedback coming in from someone building a pool this size, I would be a little more empathetic and a little more on it than what he was. They heard everything that was going on but they kept saying, “Well, this is a really big construction project.” It is a big construction project but we don't want our neighbor's yards affected by this work. That kind of put a really bad taste in our mouth going through all this.

I did recommend Anthony & Sylvan to one of our neighbors who is having an Anthony & Sylvan pool built in their yard. Supposedly, they're giving me a $500 Amazon gift card for doing that recommendation. I filled out all the paperwork but I have not yet seen that gift card. There seems like a lot of struggle in getting things done and it shouldn't be that way. It should be one email and it's done. But here we are several months after it's built and we love our pool. It is very nice. It's 50 feet long and 16 feet wide. It's got a hot tub, a three sheer descents and travertine decking all around on the stone wall. I like the fact that we can swim in it instead of just jumping in and cooling down. We wanted it for exercise and swimming and the hot tub is great for relaxing.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

We had used Anthony and Sylvan previously in another house that we owned and we liked the work that they did, which was the reason why we went with them this time. The managers ad personnel were fantastic through the whole process although some of the subcontractors they use were not that good. There were a couple of things we disagreed on but we found some resolution. The way Anthony & Sylvan is structured, they have certain people covering different levels of the process and it caused a lot of confusion internally on their end. So, I ended up doing majority of the stuff myself such as going for permits and expediting the work on my own for my own benefit. The way they tier their structure in their company didn't put a sense of urgency in certain levels. They should have less people.

I wasn't happy with the plaster finish that happened because they had some rough edges and stuff. They told me that is what happens when there's acidity levels in the pool. I've owned several homes and several pools, and I've never had that happen. They told me to take a wire brush and brush it down, and I vigorously did. I bought 10 different brushes and nothing worked. They offered one suggestion but nobody came out to try to show me that I'm doing it wrong or this is the technique that you do. So, they left it like that and then, we didn't do anything else afterwards. I was made to come up with a solution.

People need not be fearful of asking questions to these guys because the more information people are told and they ask questions about, the better off and informed in the process they're gonna be, especially with the other subcontractors. The payment mechanism was one of the other issues I had. One of the last payments we had to issue was the plaster guy and he refused to start his work until he had a check in his hand. Meanwhile, I already paid 95% of the fees of the entire pool. I wasn't in the vicinity at the time so, I had to come all the way from a half an hour's drive with a check to give to the guy. Even when I told him I was on my way, he still sat on his truck and didn't start work until I got there and physically handed him the check. So, I don't know whether that was a trigger to the bad end product but one of those things lead towards that. I made it clear to the management of Anthony & Sylvan that this is not the way to do business.

I’m in construction too and nobody remembers how you started the job but they remember how you finish the job. And being that was one of the last elements that they had, it was not a good way to end their project with a guy refusing to work because he didn't have his check in his hand. I had to cut some business meetings off in order to turn around and come here and pay this baby who wasn’t one to work until he’s guaranteed his check.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

The pool is awesome. Kids love it. It's a long rectangle pool with modern shape and size. It also has a spa. Anthony & Sylvan is a great company. But there were some things that could have been done better. Getting through them on the phone for service seems impossible. If you're doing a big construction job, there's gonna be things that’ll go wrong. But at the same time, you would think that certain things would be planned out a little bit better. You would think that the subcontractors would work better and actually care because they're working with Anthony & Sylvan. But some of them don't care. I have stuff I had to redo already because of their subcontractors, and I've only had the pool for a year. It's nothing to do with the pool, but it's the outside stuff around. But for the most, they did a good job.

They built the retaining walls and there's light in those walls. But it hasn't been a year and some of the lights aren't working already. We had an issue with the wall that they built that wasn't straight. The subcontractor pretty much told me that it was not their problem anymore. I rather pay more money and go through somebody else in those scenarios. Because I can't get anybody on the phone for service anyway. It's really hard to get someone on the phone to answer. We understand COVID, but it's hard to get somebody on the phone if you have an emergency.

Once the sales guy makes the sale, he's out of the picture and he's gone. So to me, that's not cool. If you sold it, shouldn't you be interested and making sure everything is good and checking in? Maybe I'm a little needy, but I'm spending a lot of money. There has to be a little more attention to the customer when you're making the sale, in the middle of the construction process, and after the construction process. The foreman didn't come out and see everything until they were building retaining walls. I had to call him because they were building it wrong. Once I did that, they came out. But that could be people are busy in management and timing. Everything seemed to be okay.

The overall experience was good. Their opening and close department is really good. But I wish a little more personal attention from the sales department and the after-sales. I would even recommend them doing a site visit and ask how everything was going after three or six months. Their customer service is very weird and there's not a clear path of who you need to talk to and how do you do it. There were no clear things with all the subs that they used. These guys just come in and do what they're told and they say Anthony & Sylvan hired them Also, I had a friend who was looking to build a pool and I gave him the salespeople. But they never even called him back.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I met Ron, who was the salesman for Anthony & Sylvan, and we started striking up a conversation. I asked him about pool designs. And he said that it was exactly what they do. He did a stunningly good job in designing the pool. He did a 3D rendering where it went from daylight to nighttime, and a little video for us where you could literally see our house. I knew exactly what I was looking at. This didn't even take him weeks to do. I met him one day, and the next night, it was in my email.

I have a very, very frugal wife who does not like spending money. But she told me she was open to getting a pool. I got this video and she walked in at 7:30 at night exhausted, and she watched it and she said it was beautiful. She loved it. The video stopped and she looked at me and asked if that was what our pool guy came up with. I told him yes and she said she wanted it. We got the big hot tub size and it waterfalls into the pool. It's lovely.

The construction team was on time and delivered on pretty much everything. They screwed up on a couple of small things, but the general contractor caught most of it. Unfortunately, it was usually that I would tell him that I didn't think certain things were right. But he would tell me that they knew what they were doing. Then he saw it and stopped them.

The GC busted out the workers a few times when they were trying to backfill in where all the pipes were next to the shell of the pool underground. They were back filling in all the debris with rock. I said that they could break with the vibrations. Then the GC got here and he saw it. He told them to stop everything and that they can't put that in there. He told them it could break all the pipes. Then he told them to clean it all out and do it again. But if he wasn't here, they could’ve literally damaged the entire construction of our pool years later. That would’ve destroyed our whole pool deck, all the surface, and cause massive amount.

I've been meaning to call somebody at Anthony & Sylvan to ask them to check out one issue. The circuit breaker for the hot tub keeps triggering for this whole year. There's a short somewhere in the circuit. Then the hot tub is not working. We have to get up and flip the switch and then it starts heating again. But it trips all the time.

Overall, Anthony & Sylvan was fantastic. My family has gotten such great use out of the pool. This hot tub has been the best money we’ve ever spent on this house. All the neighbors looked at it and say our backyard is amazing. Everyone who's surrounding me now has been pouring money into their yards in their houses trying to make their stuff prettier. My friend right now is talking about building one of those swimmable hot tubs where you can swim inside of it. He said he was getting a grotto built in his pool and that they can do this design where it almost looks like you're swimming up to a beach. If I gave known that, I would’ve bought more because interest rates are so low and financing was so easy.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I was out shopping a few different companies for pools. I had a very unique situation with my pool. I wanted to have a boulder waterfall, and I wanted the boulders recessed down into my pool. My landscaper had this done at his property. I went out, looked at it, and loved it. I asked him who did his pool and he said it was Anthony & Sylvan. So between the both of them, they work very well together. Anthony & Sylvan was able to build me something that doesn't even look like a pool. It looks more like a small pond lake with boulders, which most companies wouldn't have done. It's ultra-custom. They built a nice pool.

The real value in this was that they worked closely with my landscaper. So their capabilities and abilities to work with my guy and give it that look. Most of their contractors do poured concrete but I ended up going with pavers. So it was very important. If they didn't work with my landscaper that did all the hardscape for me, then we wouldn't have done anything because I turned down another two companies that looked at it. They wanted to do it their way and it wasn't quite the way I was looking for.

The pool has about a good 20-foot waterfall from right to left. The way the boulders are sat down is that they're not stopped at the beam. If you look at most aboveground pools, the boulders will sit on top of the coping. So you still have your tile and you'll have your water coming through the tile, then there's a gap and then you'll have your boulders. What we did is we actually notched it out and we sunk the boulders into the pool. We also used a product that Anthony & Sylvan offered, which I liked. It was a pebble finish. So between the dark bottom pool and the pebble finish, those things worked out well. When Anthony & Sylvan came to the house, they only offered a very small selection of tile options for the coping. I ended up bringing in my own tile and they used their contractors to install my tile. So they were very flexible. It was another nice thing that they offered.

Harold was the project manager and he was very good at what he did. But he was spread thin. There were lots of cool projects going on and it was difficult at times to coordinate. But other than that, it was not an Anthony & Sylvan issue. It's an issue in general when it comes to subcontractors. I'm not a big fan of them. There were a few issues that happened that we had to come back and have fixed. If Anthony & Sylvan owned their staff and their could train them and they work solely for them, then they'd have more control over the situation. But given with what they've got to work with, it worked out okay. Overall, anyone that I've talked to that's had a pool ran into the same situation.

I asked for an IceBreaker heat pump, one that would cool down when it got too hot or would heat up when it was too cold. It was something almost like an automatic thermostat and a pump. It can do either thing. So we ended up going that route. When I got the unit, it only heated. It didn't cool. When you have a dark bottom pool and you go through a heat spell, that water could end up creeping up into the 90s. Now it's a bathtub and it's not a pool anymore.

I ended up going out to the unit. I called up the manufacturer and they told me to read off the VIN number. I read off the VIN number to him and he said the reason that didn't do that was that they installed the wrong heat pump. Not only did they install the wrong heat pump, they installed the wrong size heat pump. Even if they would have gave me the original heat pump, it was supposed to be larger. Anthony & Sylvan did stand by their word and they came out and fixed the problem. But at the end of the day, they need to have somebody really checking to see what the contractors are putting in and what they're taking out and what they're installing.

One of the biggest things that I was disappointed with the whole project was the salesperson that came out. He was an order taker. Anybody can be an order taker. We had about 90 grand into just the shell and the pump and a few things. It was definitely double the average of your typical family, backyard pool. I had to constantly pull things out of him. When we decided that we wanted to do the waterfall, he said that we were not gonna be able to run it very often because of evaporation. But that was crazy to me. I told him one of the things I love is hearing water in the background. I asked him if they made something that would be like an autofill. He said, "Yeah, that would be called an autofill system." I told him I'd rather run my waterfall when I wanna run my waterfall and have my pool filled when it automatically fill. So I told him to sign me up for that.

He said that we also have to make sure to keep our pool from becoming overflowed. So we have to drain water out at times. That sounded crazy so I asked him if they do something to make the water drain off the pool when it gets too high. He said, "Yeah." I asked him what would that cost me. He said nothing. He said in the skimmer boxes, there was a punch-out hole and I just have to have a plumber run my punch-out hole to allow the water to drain out to somewhere else. So I told him to do that too. So I felt like at every corner, I had to know what I was talking about. I had to ask for things. Luckily, I did my research. Because if I didn't do my research, I wouldn't know to ask for things and I would have had a waterfall I couldn't use and I would have had a pool that I would have had to empty when it rained too much.

If I were at Anthony & Sylvan's Pool, I would certainly have better trained salespeople. Because at the end of the day, there's nothing worse than spending 100 grand and finding out that you missed things. Then these are things that are too costly to add later on, and they end up not doing it and you have got something. I like to get all the options. I'd rather them come back to me and say it's 150 grand but then I could say we could do things to trim it back. Don't sell me something for 60 grand and I could put $30,000 extras in.

We were going through a expansion of the house at that time and they tried to figure out the elevation of the pool. The sales guy was given our plans and knew what we were gonna do. But when he ended up determining the elevation of the pool, he got it wrong. We have a deck below with tile, and if rain does happen to get in there, instead of it flowing out of our house, it will go towards our house because the elevation of the pool was so high that they couldn't get the slope that they needed when the tile guys and everybody else came out to do their work. That sales guy really needs to know what he's doing inside and out. They need some better training in that department, or at least with the guy I work with. If he doesn't know what he's doing, he needs to talk to some engineers that do know what they're doing. I was able to fix the problem. I had to put drains in and I had to do different things to fix the issue.

Overall, I'm happy with Anthony & Sylvan. It's a solid company. One of the reasons I like them is their longevity. In today's day and age with the economy and all the weird stuff going on out there, you never know how long somebody's gonna be around. But they've been around a while. Also, warranties are important. You want someone to be able to be there. I've got a beautiful pool. Everyone that comes by and sees it say it's probably one of the most beautiful pools they've seen. At the end of the day, they were capable and at least they surrounded themselves with people that were capable to do the things I needed done.

Original review: July 7, 2021

If you want a great sales experience and then no delivery this is the vendor for you. Terrible execution, terrible communication, but exceptional billing practices. The only thing that was on time or ahead of schedule was the bill or an offer for upselling. We contracted in October of 2020 and as of today July 2021 we only have a concrete hole- no water, no gas line, etc. They don't have anything but a sales team- they are resellers with subs. They then blame the relationship with the subs negating any responsibility. I gave AS the $100K not the subs.

They blame COVID, what they should say is we had a high demand took on too many jobs and have screwed a ton of people. They start the job and they take the lion's share of the money and then they leave you for weeks with no work and no call backs. They barely reply and when they do it is just "sorry". No offer of alternatives, etc. They could offer to fund a town pool membership or throw in a pool cover on the $100K spend- but instead they offer nothing. I would run from this vendor.

Original review: July 1, 2021

This is the worst company I’ve had to deal with. I would give it -5 stars if it were possible. They had so many issues that I am not sure how this company is still in business. They did construction for my pool for almost 12 months. YES, ALMOST 12 (TWELVE) MONTHS. We signed the contract in early March 2020, and the pool was completed in February 2021. That’s unbelievable. A lot of my neighbors have built pools in 3 months – they started after me and finished construction before mine was finished. Now, I understand why no one in my neighborhood used this company for pool contraction, as this company just a crap. I had the impression that my pool designer (Jeff) believed that he was doing me a favor by designing my pool. All changes that I asked him to make took him several weeks to apply, even small changes like moving equipment from one location to another.

The employees of this company do not know what customer communication is. If you are lucky, they will reply to your emails in two weeks, but it usually took three weeks. Even if you remind them during these weeks, they keep silent and do not answer any questions about your project. Sometimes, to force them to reply you have to CC the VP of the company. It took this company 5 months to get city approval, really? It took less than a month for all of my neighbors who used a different company. They failed with the Home Owner Association application. It had to be submitted two times before approval was received (this took almost an additional one and a half of months). How is this possible for a company who’s supposed to deal with this all the time?

They always failed to do construction on schedule. All requests for providing updates on the current work were ignored almost all the time. This company does not really know what it means to keep the customer updated on progress. You must demand it, and demand it several times before you get a response. You really have to push this company to continue construction. That is ridiculous. This company does not know how to manage their contractors. Several times, contractors arrived with incorrect blueprints, which were corrected several months ago. Same thing with equipment – it was upgraded during the early stages of design but the contractors brought the old equipment. It took this company more than two months to replace the old equipment with the correct one.

The construction manager appeared only three or four times during the 7 months of actual construction. Instead of him controlling what the contractors were doing, assuming they were doing it according to the design in the first place, this responsibility fell on you (and you don’t get paid for it). Yes, you have to watch the contractors and make sure that they do things according to the design. In my case, I had to stop the contractors several times and tell them that this is not what I have in the pool blueprint copies provided to me. The contractors had to leave (for another several weeks) before they obtained the correct copy of the blueprints. This company does not know how to manage documents, how to update them, and how to share them with their contractors.

Beware about pool equipment. This company gives you entry level equipment and does not provide any options during the design stage. You have to notice this by yourself and tell them that you do not want this crap. This company failed the city inspection several times. If you’d like to be excited about your new pool, go with a different company and stay away from these guys. If you prefer pain and suffering during your pool construction, this company is definitely a top pick.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Do your research and see that we are among many leaving a review about how Anthony&Sylvan treat their customers after they’ve received most or all $$$. If you have a problem after they have their money, they don’t care. Their scheduling is horrible. They must have a bad reputation with their vendors too because they can’t get work completed in a timely manner. We were patient and understanding. We were told 10-12 weeks. A few days ago we found out it will be another month before we have the next step completed. Making our pool at least a 20 week project.

This put our daughter in tears because she has been hoping for a pool party for her 18th. We were told they would be done by then as it gave Anthony&Sylvan 20 weeks from dig to completion. So I called and left messages and emailed - asking nicely if there was anything that could be done. I understood it may not work, but for my daughter it was worth a try. THEIR RESPONSE WAS A THREAT!!! That’s right, Chris called my husband and he said he couldn’t do anything. My husband wasn’t as nice as me. Chris said, “Well I could always push schedule back.“ Who threatens an understandable upset customer with even worse service?!? That was the last straw for me. I can’t believe we gave these guys $75000. All we have for it is a heartbroken daughter and a concrete hole that is deteriorating as it sits for months.

Oh there is more. As our pool sits midconstruction, it’s cracking, equipment is leaking, and we still have another month to wait and see what else is ruined by the heat when it’s meant to have water. My husbands concern is that they must have a horrible relationship with their vendors too. It would explain a lot. Horrible business practice. They must think they’re too big to touch.

Original review: May 22, 2021

I contracted with Anthony and Sylvan last year. I was promised a pool would be completed by now. Instead I am living in a construction site for months. They dug a hole, did some work and left. No one not even the CEO will respond. What a mess. I wish I never started with them. If I could I would take a shovel myself and just close this hole. Horrible customer service. Also every step of the way you get hours sometimes minutes to pay or they have their subs leave. No advanced notice that they are coming till the last moment. They have been ghosting me for weeks.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Everything was great with my experience with Anthony & Sylvan. Everything went as planned. It was laid out. They listened to me at the design, they followed up on the dates that they gave me and they stayed in communication. Anything that I had questions on, they answered. They finished on time and I'm swimming already.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools Company Information