Call toll free
4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Anthony & Sylvan Pools is a premier builder of inground concrete and fiberglass swimming pools. Since 1946, we have designed and installed more than 370,000 pools for home owners all across the nation. Our pools are easy to maintain and built for life. With additions such as vanishing edges, raised spas and rock waterfalls your pool is an oasis in your backyard.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools Gallery (9)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1549 Anthony & Sylvan Pools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

Miserable experience. Dig on June 21 2018. They were 3 weeks behind by week 5 of a ten week project, and now March 20 2019, we are only halfway done. No updates. Sometimes contractors show, sometimes they don't, sometimes they show entirely unannounced. "It rained". Yep, but not until the last week of July and we were weeks behind before any fell from the sky. The pool is smaller than spec, some tiles are upside down, diving board is off center from the decking bump out, and pressure gauge is broken. Many many emails to many many people go unanswered. I wonder how long the next half of the project will take, and what else will go wrong. Zero communication. No explanations. Choosing Anthony Sylvan was a mistake.

Get expert buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

All I can say is that if you want to keep your sanity and have a pool that works properly, do not use AS. From the beginning, they did not follow the master plan. We were redoing the whole yard which required following a plan denoting the future elevations. They had to redo the work many times over because the PM was never around when the crew was doing the work so it was done incorrectly (wrong elevations).

The pool is designed with a "water feature" where the waterfall from the large pool overflows into the baby pool. Never worked properly. The baby pool had to constantly be refilled manually and until they finally added a second auto fill for the baby pool. I forgot to mention that the first auto fill for the main pool, was never hooked up (they just forgot) and we had to remove tile and sod again for them to do so. They also did not put a skimmer in the small pool so the water pump for that pool gets jammed with debris and has to constantly be cleaned. I'm still back and forth with them but they never show up to actually do the necessary fixes.

It's very stressful. Spent a lot of money but AS is too big to care.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Like most people out there I was convinced that due to national size of the company and lifetime warranty it is a good bet to go with A&S for such an expensive project. The sales process was great. Unlike some other people mentioned, I was not pressured hard into getting unnecessary extras. That's where nice things ended.

This is a new construction, so not a whole lot things to damage, but they still managed to destroy water pipe, despite showing them exactly where it lays in the ground. My builder will try to get that reimbursed, but looks like their "we are not responsible for damage" means exactly what is written - they will destroy unnecessarily your property and ask you to look into the contract when you complain about it. Pool shell was 2" lower projected deck level, and 2" shallower. It would be 4" shallower if only another unrelated contractor would not spot an obvious issue with rebar to the A&S crew doing rebar work.

Due to the lower level of the pool we had to find a solution how to match it to the deck, and with our helpful concrete contractor we found a solution - they would use a thinner layer of concrete mix suitable for thin applications. But we got a surprise week later after finding a suitable solution that pool walls were raised by A&S crew. This change, which no one asked for, introduced several issues - height of steps and sitting areas are now deeper than allowed by code, skimmer is too low to work efficiently and we have to work with our deck contractor to change plans and work already done again.

A&S PM found out about these changes only several weeks later, despite his company doing these changes. We discussed several solutions to the lower level of the skimmer (basically he suggested to not have trees around the pool and keep water level lower). But when it came to out-of-code depth of steps and sitting area he said it is my problem to deal with and if inspector fails inspection, these issues needs to be resolved at my cost.

First of all any such repairs below waterline potentially can cause cracks and water leaking out outside the pool shell, damaging my property, which they nicelly covered in their contract (by not being responsible for that). Second - these repairs are quite expensive, as it needs to be done with gunite crew and they have minimum order volume. And A&S put all of these costs on me. This is still in progress, but at this point I am sure that I had bad luck with the team assigned to my project. Question you should ask yourself: do you want to try your luck with such expensive product?

Anthony & Sylvan Pools response

Thank you very much for bringing these concerns to our attention. We have located your account and will be contacting you, shortly, to better understand your experience and to try to find a positive resolution to your concerns.

Resolution response: Sept. 28, 2018

Issue has been resolved with company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Our experience with Anthony & Sylvan has been disappointing, stressful, and very difficult. I sincerely cannot offer a single positive statement from our experience. They over promised on multiple parts of the process and under performed every single time. Currently, we are still waiting for them to finish the plaster on our pool (original plan was to have the pool ready by the end of June and it's now September 19th). We chose Anthony & Sylvan and gave our deposits SOLELY based on a guarantee IN WRITING from their Sales Manager about the timeline of construction. They didn't meet that timeline and their response was to say that there was no penalty outlined in the agreement thus there's nothing they have to do for us.

Moreover, we have paid in full for the pool and had a terrible plaster job that has to be redone. I have over 50 hours of being on the phone with Anthony & Sylvan without any resolve to date. There are numerous other stories I could share but I do not feel like it would help our project in any way. Regardless, for your own sanity, money, and quality pool, DO NOT FOR ANY REASON HIRE ANTHONY & SYLVAN TO INSTALL YOUR POOL!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan put in the pool 20 years ago and over the years, my interactions with their store staff have been fine. I especially like the water analysis. There was one littler sputter, however, of having trouble with the pool. I brought the Polaris to them because something was clogged up. I couldn’t figure it out and it sat for weeks and weeks. Finally, I took it back and put it all together myself. But normally, Anthony & Sylvan has what I need when I go to the store. If there’s some doubt, I call them and ask them if they have it and order it if it’s on sale. It has been a good relationship.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthony & Sylvan Pools?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I love the convenience of Anthony & Sylvan's location. I was there recently and they were very helpful. They got my pool water tested and they taught me what I needed as far as chemicals go. They also explained what they thought the pool needed.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I met with the salesperson (Jarrad) and everything was good at the beginning, he promised me that our pool will be done by the end of July. Then we had a meeting with Jarrad and the project manager (Cody) who stated that the first week of August will be the maximum to have the pool up and running and ready to be used. Once we signed the contract everything went down hell. The scheduler (James **) was the rudest, unprofessional and nastiest person I have ever dealt with. Tara another scheduler who lack communication. They scheduled us on rainy days because I complained about the delay. I have emails, videos, and pictures. I kept emailing them that you cannot choose the only rainy days in the week, schedule me and then blame it on the weather. I texted all of them several times and Cody will respond a day or two after if he did respond.

The construction crew they sent to our house left their trash, cans and the food paper plates etc on our lawn. They left a huge mess around the pool, they messed up the driveway and they said their policy stated they are not responsible for any damage they create. They dug up the pool and used most of the dirt they dug up but left a huge amount just laying there by the pool and they said it is our responsibility to level it ourselves. The construction fence they put was always down, they didn't care about making it secure enough to keep it in place, we had to fix it ourselves several times. I contacted their supervisor to complain and didn't get a response from him until almost the end of the project.

After several attempts to get this pool done, we finally had it completed at the end of August over a month behind the schedule, they left the orange construction fence, the metal they used to hold it up with and the other fence they used until I called and asked them to come and take that. The job was not as they told us and not as the picture, the plaster work was sloppy and I took pictures, contacted them and still waiting for it to be taking care of. The equipment they showed us on their catalog was nothing in real life like described. They basically sell you an ideal pool, charge you a ton of money and don't deliver. I am extremely unsatisfied and if the above issues are not taking care of, I will have to take other measures. Avoid this company by any means. Even the other contractors who came to our house stated they never saw a messy, sloppy job in their career time and that we got ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have an Anthony & Sylvan pool and I have it for 16 years now. I also use them for my pool supply needs and the staff in their store is very knowledge and helpful.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan are the ones who initially put in my pool 30 days ago. I like the quality of their products and when I'm dealing with their staff, I always have a very positive experience.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I’ve been using Anthony & Sylvan to install three pools and I use their pool supplies store regularly for all my pool needs. Their store staff that keeps me going there. They always go above and beyond to attend to my issues and they’re quite capable. Also, they usually recommend my trying certain things and whether they’re paying out or not, Anthony & Sylvan's reps are quick to respond with adjusting what they think might fix the issue.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The people at Anthony & Sylvan are very knowledgeable and they give me good tips on how to maintain the pool. They also help me find hard to find parts.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan put my pool in and I have been using them for my pool supply needs. I go to their store all the time. I like that their people know what they're doing and they have the answers all the time. I dealt with the manager and he took his time in going over everything completely and telling me how the salt water system works. He stood with me in everything. He ran out to get the salt himself and he put it in my car. He was great and he did the right thing. I was very happy with the service.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I've been dealing with Anthony & Sylvan for a long time now. Their people are very helpful. I get my chemicals from them and when they come in and get my water tested, they're always very pleasant and work very quickly.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The store reps at Anthony & Sylvan are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had an Anthony & Sylvan pool, and I've been using their supplies since 1988. I really like the chemicals there and they're more top quality compared to the other places. I've always had positive interactions with their store people and they are very friendly. They’ve always been very willing anytime I've had a question and they are knowledgeable to answer it.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have been working with Anthony & Sylvan Pools for the chemicals and water testing. I like their products. When their staff test my water, they tell me exactly what I need and how much I need. I use that and the chemicals work fine on that.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan put our pool in, so we got our pool supply needs from them and we worked with them for other pool services. I like their store staff. They have always been very pleasant.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have used Anthony & Sylvan for quite a long time for my pool supply needs. Their prices are competitive and their water testing is very good. The store reps are knowledgeable and they're local so they’re very handy.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have dealt with Anthony & Sylvan for years for my pool supply needs. They had been opening and closing my pool all the time, but lately I have been doing that myself. For the most part, the store reps have been knowledgeable and helpful. We purchased a new motor for the vacuum cleaner from Anthony & Sylvan and we had just put it in, but it had a problem. They weren’t gonna be able to fix it for 10 days, but I talked to a rep, Keith, and he had a person out here within the next three days. But the same problem has just recurred and the new motor has stopped working again. So far, though, Keith has been excellent and he has gone out of his way to be helpful to me.

Resolution response: Oct. 1, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan Pools was able to completely resolve my issue. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had Anthony & Sylvan install a in-ground pool in 2017. The process was good and very straightforward. The build was what I expected and well done. Very happy with the transaction. I spent approximately $80k for the pool and was happy to this point. Now for my issue. After the winter less than a year after the build, I noticed that the deck had some settlement issues. I had a number of spots where the pavers had settled which caused low and high spots between the coping and the pavers. Nothing overly concerning but noticeable and wanted to get corrected prior to caulking between the coping and patio.

I reach out to Anthony & Sylvan on May 28th 2018 and was given a contact person via phone and e-mail. I was asked to send pictures (which I did). I was told someone would be contacting me to set-up an appointment to come and take look, then crickets... I followed up to see about the status and was told that the contact person had moved on and was given a new contact. I was asked to send pictures again (which I did). I was told someone would follow-up and set an appointment. Crickets... I followed up again and again. This time my contact person was sick so I was given my third person. Guess what? Crickets... It is now August 31st and I still have no answer, no appointment nothing!!!

My last resort is to get a lawyer and let them take care of it. The funny thing is they were very quick to call to schedule a date for opening and closing my pool. It is a shame because I was very happy with the build and everyone involved to this point. If you're looking for customer service after your pool is built do not count on it. Once they get paid you will never hear from them again unless you're willing to pay for a service. They may be worse than car salespeople. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan built my pool. Their store is very convenient for us and we've always had a good experience there. It's a nice environment. The staff recognizes you’re the customer. They've always been helpful.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We had an Anthony & Sylvan pool and we used them for renovation before. Their place is also right around the corner and every time I go in there, they get exactly what I need and they give me a lot of good advice for my savings or water chemistry.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I built an expensive pool in the back of my home. The workmanship was awful and several mistakes were made. The company admitted in writing that mistakes were made and promised to correct them in writing. Three years later, nothing was done to fix any of the issues. I got too many promises and excuses, but they never came through with any of their promises that they put in writing. Every time I called, I got another apology with another promise, but nothing ever happened. I will be suing them. Here are the issues with the pool: 1- The spa NEVER worked. 2- The tile work was horrendous. 3- The pool is full of streaks.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have been dealing with Anthony & Sylvan for 14 years. They have been very communicative. The store staff has been very knowledgeable and patient in the retail store.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan pool store is three blocks away from my house and that is one of the main reasons why I go to them for my pool supply needs. Every time I go there, my experience with them has been pretty positive. Their staff is knowledgeable and helpful. And if they have a part and it is only for a used pump, they’ll still give me the used one to hold me off.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

We have an Anthony & Sylvan in-ground pool and chose to go with them for the pool supplies that we need. Their staff are very helpful and knows what they’re talking about. They’re also very dependable and their supplies are very good and better than the others.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We go to Anthony & Sylvan because of the type of pool we have and when we are there, the store staff is always very pleasant. They're helpful and knowledgeable too.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan built my pool originally. Their staff was very nice.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan installed my pool. I’ve always done business with them and we bought all our supplies through them. The staff is always very friendly and they always accommodate whatever my needs are. We open and close our pool ourselves, but we use Anthony & Sylvan for maintenance, and if I have any issues with the equipment or anything that needs servicing. They’re very knowledgeable about the pool treatment and the water treatment that they do. They’re always spot-on with whatever we need to add to the water.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Anthony & Sylvan installed the salt chlorinator for my pool and I also like going for their water test. Anybody that I talk to after a water test tells me exactly how to solve it. I also get a nice little printout of all the steps that I need to go through in order to clear up or clean out any water issues. And any time they haven't had anything, there was always somebody working there who was able to get me the part, piece, or whatever I need from another store. Then I usually get it the next business day.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Anthony & Sylvan is a pool company that has been in business since 1946. It installs pools and does regular maintenance and cleaning. The company is known for its unique and custom pool design and it offers a lifetime structural warranty.

• Variety: Anthony & Sylvan installs a wide variety of pools, including concrete and fiberglass pools.

• Vanishing edges: It can install "infinity pools" -- pools the appear as though they don't have any edges.

• Add-ons: Anthony & Sylvan can install many add-ons, such as sunken barbecue pits near the pool, beach entries, rock waterfalls, spillways and more.

• Experience: The company has been in business for nearly 70 years and has worked on over 370,000 pools.

• National availability: Anthony & Sylvan provides pool services to people across the country and can work closely with consumers to give them exactly the pool they want.

• Best for: Homeowners, business owners, pool owners and property managers that are looking for a custom pool design.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs