4.7/5 (1591 ratings)

About Anthony & Sylvan Pools

Anthony & Sylvan Pools is a premier builder of inground concrete and fiberglass swimming pools. Since 1946, we have designed and installed more than 370,000 pools for home owners all across the nation. Our pools are easy to maintain and built for life. With additions such as vanishing edges, raised spas and rock waterfalls your pool is an oasis in your backyard.

Pros

• Accessibility and safety features
  • Complete customization available
  • Lifetime warranty available

Cons

• Retail stores not widely available

Bottom Line

Anthony & Sylvan builds, renovates and maintains custom pools. With tons of features to choose from, most customers should be able to design their ideal pool with Anthony & Sylvan.

Top Anthony & Sylvan Pools Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthony & Sylvan Pools?

Verified

We've been with Anthony & Sylvan since 1994. They've always been responsive and they don't make it a habit of trying to sell you something you don't need. So, that's much apprecia...

Verified

Anthony & Sylvan installed our pool some years ago. I've gone around to a number of different pool service providers and [came] back to them. I like Anthony & Sylvan's service guy...

Anthony & Sylvan Pools

Anthony & Sylvan Pools is a professional in-ground swimming pool company that builds, renovates and maintains pools with a variety of styles, features and options.

FeatureOptions
Pool typesChlorine, saltwater
Pool finishesConcrete, fiberglass
Pool designsGeometric, modern, freeform, beach entry (aka zero entry), custom design
OptionsTile and mosaics, coping, decking, lighting, fencing
FeaturesWater features, vanishing edges, sunken barbeque pits, beach entries, raised spas with spillways
Safety and AccessibilityKid-friendly pool customizations, handicap accessibility
EquipmentAutomatic controls, pool cleaning systems, pumps and filters, water purifiers, heaters, safety covers

Environmentally responsible pools

Anthony & Sylvan use environmentally-friendly designs, products and systems that are safe for both you and the environment. Special features include high-efficiency pumps, LED lighting and intelligent filtration systems, with saltwater systems that can purify water even when the filter pump isn’t active. The Zodiac Nature2 Fusion In-ground and the Del Ozone Eclipse Ozonator reduce the need for harsh chemicals and eliminate bacteria by up to 90%, naturally.

Handicap accessible pools

Customize your pool with handicap-accessible options including lifts, ramps and walk-in pools (also referred to as beach access pools), so everyone in your family can enjoy the pool or spa safely.

Kid-friendly pools

Anthony & Sylvan can make sure your pool is a fun, safe addition to your home by adding-on safety features including non-slip decking, fencing, gates, covers and barricades to prevent accidents and limit access when you’re not able to supervise.

Anthony & Sylvan pool prices

Because Anthony & Sylvan offers so much customization with their pools, you’ll need to contact the company directly for an exact quote. However, they do have a general price guide that provides a range of $45,000 or under for something basic, to $100,000 and up for a more complex, customized pool.

Anthony & Sylvan pool services

Anthony & Sylvan can help maintain your pool once it’s installed. There’s a simple, easy-access scheduling tool online to book your services, or you can elect to purchase packages to receive regularly scheduled pool maintenance.

Anthony & Sylvan can help with the following services:

• Opening and closing
  • Cleaning
  • Equipment repair
  • Warranty service
  • Water testing

Packages are available for regular maintenance in the categories of pool opening and closing, chemical packages and winter watch services. You can also buy closing kits and start-up kits.

Anthony & Sylvan Pool supplies

You can buy pool supplies, equipment, chemicals and accessories online or in-person at Anthony & Sylvan retail stores located in the mid-Atlantic region — specifically Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Do we recommend Anthony & Sylvan pools?

Anthony & Sylvan pools offer customers several options when it comes to designing the perfect pool. If you are looking for a more extravagant experience, we think Anthony & Sylvan have great features and add-ons for a wholly customized pool experience. What really makes them stand out to us is their dedication to accessibility, safety and their environmentally conscious options.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthony & Sylvan Pools?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

It is now two years since we closed on our construction loan and well over that since we signed with Anthony & Sylvan to build our pool as a part of our house. We've been moved into the house for six months now and A&S still isn't done with our pool! In the past three months, the extent of their effort has been that electricians have been out a couple of times for an hour or two each time and still aren't finished wiring everything. Plumbers screwed up and have never been back. Their corporate customer care (Lesley) has been unable to make any progress with the Texas team. This is now the second wedding anniversary A&S has ruined, as well as the second Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years where they should have been done, not to mention the last year of holidays where we should have been using our pool! These people need to understand that their actions, or rather inaction, affects peoples LIVES!

Beyond the stress and aggravation, they've cost us tens of thousands of dollars in bank fees and interest on the construction loan that we can't convert to a mortgage until they're done, not to mention the dumpster, porta potty, etc. we're also still paying for! This has been a complete nightmare that won't ever end! Based on all the positive reviews, we started quoting our pool project with Anthony & Sylvan in March of 2020, and started construction on our new custom house with pool in January 2021. While the COVID pandemic affected everything, we were still able to complete an entire 5500 SF custom home and move in by August 2021, while A&S was still stuck at a torn up hole in the ground. We went through four project managers over the course of the project.

The original forms were up so long (over nine months!) that they had to tear them out and completely replace them before they could gunite. They have constantly made major mistakes throughout the process and including having to break out a big section of the pool and start over, cracking our house foundation in the process! By the time we moved in, we were basically back to the state we were over a year before (see picture) with no indication of when they'd be done. Even after the Director of Operations took over the project management to finish the job, they continued to make stupid mistakes and kept having to rework the little bit they'd redone.

None of their management (including the previous president and regional vice president, both of whom removed their Linked In accounts after I tried contacting them) would respond to me or the BBB. Eventually, they let the Austin manager go and I have been having to deal with a regional manager out of Houston. Even then, they've wasted six more months of extensions from the bank with little enough to show for it. I have talked to others in the area who've had the same sort of issues, although none as bad as mine. Don't be fooled by all the positive reviews. These aren't the people you want building your pool.

Hello Michael,

I am very sorry to hear this. I will continue to work with you and the local division on the completion of your pool project. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me during the building process.

I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Very Sincerely,

Customer Care

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

We enjoy our pool. The pool was installed in 2015. Started with a leak. Been through 2 spa lights and 1 pool light. Pump went out. Was a 1.5 and we paid for a 2 hrs. Blower went out. We just a new circuit board installed and the company said it had to be electrical all along. I tried to explain that to the warranty manager, but he refused to do anything. We did have to pay for half the pump install. How can all these thing go out and not be electrical? And we had a part time project manager, probably added to the problems. Needs to be some goodwill here for us. Thought we chose a good pool company. Very disappointed customer. We will see.

Hello John,

I am incredibly sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with your experience. At Anthony & Sylvan we are committed to providing high quality in both our product, as well as the process. Please send me an email at customercare@anthonysylvan.com, with the address on your account and the best phone # to reach you.

I would be grateful to have the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Very Sincerely,

Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I contacted several pool companies for a pool renovation and deck replacement estimate. Because our pool was initially designed and built by Anthony & Sylvan Pools and has held up exceptionally well over the years, we chose to go with Sylvan Pools in Houston. It was the wrong decision! I wouldn't recommend Sylvan Pools to my worst enemy!

The project ran several weeks behind and was not completed until late August. During numerous delays, I've been extremely understanding and patient. Still, it's frustrating when I have met every obligation they required to pay on time, which even included items they supposedly forgot to include in the original estimate. Communication has been highly fragmented from the beginning, with workers not showing up for weeks at a time and no responses as to why there was no work being done. At different junctures in the project, the workers were given wrong instructions, and the work had to be adjusted, causing more delays. There have been no proactive efforts to keep us appraised of the project, and though the project is now technically complete, we are still having issues. And as had been the pattern all summer, I am still only left with sporadic correspondence when I reach out to them, and the pool is already falling apart.

I'm still waiting to get an estimate on our new pool light to be installed, but after their electricians came out and spent a day at the house, I'm left with loose wires and connections with no working pool light. Ironically, they told us there was no power, and the light wasn't working on a Tuesday. But, the previous weekend, we had a pool party that Saturday night and the original light was working fine!

Our pool light was the original when the pool was first constructed, and we wanted to switch to a new LED light. They agreed to replace the light for free because of an issue with the steps and tile trim. The crew installed all the step tile trim before chipping out the pool. Then the workers came and chipped up all the new tiles they had just placed the week before and threw them on the side next to a tree. Before I saw what they were doing, they plastered the pool and did not replace the trim tile we had paid to install; hence, we were given the pool light free. So, we're left with no trim tile or working pool light. But it doesn't matter now because I can't seem to get it installed.

As far as the pool construction, I'm concerned as after only four weeks; the tile has begun separating from the coping, leaving a 1/2" to 2/4" gap now on two opposite ends of the pool. Around the steps, there are holes where they didn't finish the plaster, so there are prominent craters on either end of the steps. I could go on and on, for example, all the mess they left in our yard with cement boards with exposed nails. One of which my son stepped on, and it went through his shoe! We received two notices from our HOA about the piles of dirt, boards, empty water bottles, wrappers, etc. on the side of our house too! I could go on, but it's getting me even more upset about the whole situation. So, I'll leave it here and wait for a response - hopefully, this year!

Hello Warren,

I’m sorry to hear about the frustrations you’re experiencing. Delivering a high-quality customer experience is something the Anthony & Sylvan Pools Team is committed to. Additionally, I am committed to working toward a positive resolution with you. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please send me an email at customercare@anthonysylvan.com, with the address on your account and the best phone # to reach you.

I'm looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Don't get caught up with a "slick" salesman, this company has them. You think you are doing business with a big, reputable, corporation but in actuality, they are a business, and their bottom line is to make money, not to keep customers. The only part of an inground pool done by this company that is guaranteed past 3 years is the concrete. On my fourth season with this pool, I have had tiles falling off and found out that the pool heater they installed was not properly wired and cause me to have to have a pump repair in addition to an electrician's bill to have the wiring redone. I do have to give them credit, they will call you, albeit their resolutions were not helpful because I'm out of warranty, and they are not going to do the repair for free. So again, be aware of the contract and try to find a company that will stand behind ALL their work, past 3 year.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

This is our second build w A&S. To be fair, our first build was beautiful and schedule was as expected 10 weeks. That was 2016. We did not live in that house longer than 2 years so we do not know if there were shell, equipment, or plaster issues afterwards. We went into a contract with A&S June 26, 2021 last year (Jessup MD branch) and our pool is still not done as of today (8/2/2022). Our shell has crumbling sections on the surface. Our shell is lumpy. Our pool equipment was leaking when we did pre-concrete pressure testing. They sprayed gunite film all over my upper and lower ($70k) TREX and stone decking. They installed our back side pool coping in a way/pattern without asking us. They dumped excess gravel in our front yard. They damaged our front yard tree.

They have been ghosting our requests to finish the job and address all of these issues. We read our contract and yes, we have little recourse other than expensive lawyers and "hope" that we can have our issues addressed. They have horrible Project Managers. They have horrible scheduling, resource, supply, and labor management. They have little to no oversight over their contractors. They do not care about damaging your property. They do not care that they leave your yard unusable for over a year. They do not care that your children or pets cannot use a portion of your property - that you ALSO pay a mortgage on cannot be used. They have horrible customer service and my bet is they also have horrible warranty support.

They said the pool would be finished Spring 2022. They never provided any schedule. They took $100k of our money by time they dug and shot gunite LAST YEAR. They have done nothing to finish our pool this year. It is astonishing to me that they have any decent BBB ratings. What do they care? We have gone into over $100k debt for a product we did not receive and cannot use. They are doing this to so many other consumers in America. Stay away from them! How is any of this ok?

Original review: July 13, 2022

Anthony & Sylvan Pools in Las Vegas is the worst company to deal with. They expect a 5 star rating. The rating system does not go low enough to give them a rating. Anthony & Sylvan Pools does NOT build Pools, they take your money and hire subcontractors to do each job and the oversight is minimal at best. The plaster was done so bad it has to be done again in fall when it is much cooler. The Plaster was done at 106°. Plaster should never be done in this heat!

There are numerous small and large cracks all over the entire plastered area and new ones appear every day, in some areas the plaster even comes completely off. There were so many issues with the construction of our Pool, most of which were unnecessary and completely avoidable if someone, anyone, from Anthony & Sylvan Pools supervised the job. Anthony & Sylvan Pools, their employees, agents or representatives are not onsite for your city inspection. This is not the homeowner's responsibility to walk a city inspector through a pool inspection. This is what you pay Anthony & Sylvan Pools for.

Anthony and Sylvan offers a barrage of excuses, ranging from wind, rain, heat, dust, supply shortages, labor shortages along with too many customers, as a result, your project is pushed aside for weeks and months as they give you the run around. The sub-contractors are unsupervised and Anthony & Sylvans Pool Project Manager Alex does basically nothing!

Communication is horrible and essentially nonexistent. Unanswered emails, voicemails full and un-responded to texts. Anthony & Sylvan Pool Project Manager, Alex, rarely, if ever, verifies work is done correctly. When the project manager does show up, he “sneaks” into the yard, snaps a couple pictures and goes on his way and sends a “CYA” email. Never a knock on the door to give you updates on schedules, progress or if you have any concerns. The only time you get a response is when you become so enraged and unhinged that you can’t see straight, then and only then does a response come and it's usually unproductive and an argument in your yard.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools sells you a great story to get you to sign on the dotted line and after that the rest of the process is a nightmare. Add to that, they require 100% payment of the pool before you can even use it, that is of course, assuming you could use it once it's finished and it's correct. Unfair and deceptive business practices seem to be common with Anthony & Sylvan Pools. A construction contract, in the ordinary course, is paid 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 and in some cases paid ½ and ½ It is never 100% prior to completion.

When you question this company “policy” you are threatened by Anthony & Sylvan Pools representative saying to you “if you don’t pay, we will put a lien on your house.” It leaves you, the consumer, totally out of pocket with no recourse other than the Courts, and Anthony & Sylvan Pools’ “word” to rectify whatever problems arise as Anthony & Sylvan Pools has all your money so you are put on the back burner for anything you need corrected or completed.

It's just been over half a year of headaches. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere unless you have tons of time to hassle them to do a job, get it done correctly. If you are considering Anthony & Sylvan Pools for your pool construction go to the Better Business Bureau website and read the reviews, they are terrible. Go to Google reviews, Facebook, and any other internet site that lists reviews and read them. The reviews are terrible in regards to their subcontractors, their customer service and their warranty. They care nothing about customers once they get your money. They absolutely do NOT stand behind their work. PLEASE, do yourself a favor!! Just READ ALL THE BAD REVIEWS!!

Hello Jay,

I’m very sorry to hear this and would truly appreciate a personal conversation with you, so I can gather more information and work toward a resolution with you. Please send us an email with the address associated with your account and the best phone number to customercare@anthonysylvan.com.

I’m looking forward to continuing our conversation there.

Customer Care

Original review: June 26, 2022

Bree Anna ** is the pool technician that has been maintaining my pool for several months. She is always courteous, lets me know when she is coming and keeps my pool clean and clear. If I have questions, she always takes the time to talk to me.

Original review: May 31, 2022

After 19 month, still not swimming in the pool which I paid for on time. I paid too much for all this disappointment and frustration. You would think at these prices, I would had a better customer service experience. Little communication, poor planning, they do not listen when I tell them. Destroyed my driveway, sprayed concrete on my house, etc. Did not lay out my pool, people started showing up and digging in my yard, put the pool motor exact where I told them not place them. Moving the motors for 6 weeks now with no filter, water turned green, etc. etc. I was supposed to be swimming last year. I will get a phone call after I submit a request with corp office.

Hello Nicholas,

We truly apologize for your experience and thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. To get started, please email customercare@anthonysylvan.com with the address associated with your account and the best phone number to be reached at. I look forward to working with you to better understand your experience and to try to find a positive resolution to your concerns.

Customer Care

Original review: May 25, 2022

After years of saving up for our dream pool, my family was so excited when it was finally built by Anthony & Sylvan. The pool was built on-time and built just like the designed drawings. Everything was great until 8 months later when the pool developed large cracks. After two years, the builder determined the pool will need to be removed and rebuilt. A year and a half later, the 2nd pool was completed, and again, about 8 months later, large cracks began to appear. It's now been a year and a half and I'm still dealing with the builder to remove and rebuild properly. I've gotten the state contactors board involved and they have already told the builder to completely remove and rebuild, but they still drag their feet on fixing this.

After paying $100k up front, I've got an empty concrete nightmare my family gets to look at every day. This will be another summer with no swimming pool. Since 2018, we've had two summer we were able to use the pool. All of the rest of the time it's been dry and "under repairs". Don't go through my nightmare. Find a different company.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I truly hope no one use this truly horrible pool company. Our pool journey began in Mid June 2021and on May 8, 2022 we are halfway done with this terrible experience. We started with our pool designer who seem to be pretty good. We are first time pool builders and it was my wife’s dream to have a pool. We received quotes from three different companies. Went with Anthony and Sylvan because they seem the most honest. We were wrong. The lack of communication with this company is unbelievable. If you want any information on what is going on you must call the front office and talk to the secretary.. She is the only one you will speak to, getting in touch with anyone who can answer a question is impossible.

We got our sketch of our pool and sign our contract. All of our questions were asked through email so we have a meticulous paper trail. Glad we did because the lying and changing prices started. It even went as far as our sales person forged a $3000 change order. AND HE ADMITTED IT!! These guys could not do something as simple as calling to get the utilities laid out properly. I, the homeowner, finally had to call and get the lines laid out correctly. Once they started prepping to dig (In February 2022) the 2nd half of the nightmare began. Slow is not even the word. We have had 13 rain days in 2022 in my area so I cannot comprehend this pace. They assured us before the start that everything we need for the pool is in stock. Again, they cannot communicate the delay.

Only change we have made is tile and coping color sand all was in stock. We checked beforehand. We are sure there will be many, many, many more problems with Anthony & Sylvan. We just wanted to share the 1st year of our pool build so you won't make the mistake of using this company. Pay more at a better company and get the type of service you deserve when spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. Buyer beware, you have been warned.

Anthony & Sylvan Pools Company Information