3.97/5

1636 Sony TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

This TV cannot play the majority of video formats (e.g. MKV). The TV has in-built advertisements. YOU CANNOT REMOVE ADVERTISEMENTS FROM THE HOME SCREEN OF THEIR TVs. The model of the TV is 55XE8577. My parents bought it prior to the football world championship of the year 2018. It was/is one of the the higher-end models. Anyways, it's been some 6 months since the purchase and my God has that TV turned out to be a waste of ** 1000€. On the first day we discovered that it cannot play most video codes. It only supports some specific Sony format and a few more. My parents have a NAS storage housing the collection of all the digital things they've purchased, which is from where they (and then I) attempted playing their movies.

Overall a horrible device. I'm basic this review on my thus far experience with my personal two previous LG Smart TV which both did not have and still do not have neither the dictated advertisements in the home-screen menu, nor the handicapped external storage movie reproduction. Both of those LG TV were less than half the price of this piece of **.

Original review: April 14, 2019

This company tv not affordable and product is not good. My Sony Bravia 32 inch tv I buy 1 year 6 months ago. 1st year warranty close but panel warranty is 2 years. On this condition my tv is on display scratches but company not replaced the panel and check the tv. Engineer fee is 200 to 180 search problem between warranty time.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I wanted to give 0 star to Sony however they don't allow. That's the reason I had to give 1 star. Sony is the worst company ever. Even worst is a smaller word for it. It's been just 1 1/2 years and my YouTube has major problems. First they claimed it to be an internet problem but then it turned out to be a hardware problem. The west zone head - Sunil ** acclaimed that the motherboard of the TV needs to be replaced. Now you all only tell me if the main board of my TV needs to be replaced what will the value of my TV be then. The main head of Sony is so noncooperative that they refused to give an replacement to my TV. Please don't buy any products from Sony company unless and until you want to waste your money.

Original review: April 2, 2019

The Sony OLED (2019) 55” is the worst TV I have ever purchased, not to mention expensive. And the service is lousy. We purchased the TV in Dec 2018 from Best Buy. The TV jumps from channel to channel for no reason or leaps over channels. If you attempt to scroll through channels, the TV will jump to the highest HD channel and if you attempt to scroll down, it jumps to analogue channels.

Sony claims the next software upgrade due in month or two will fix the problem. In the meantime, since Dec, we’ve had nothing but problems. If you call service be prepared to spend an hour or two, as no one has an answer only delays. Recently, we’ve had trouble with apps on the Sony such as Netflix, which requires you to go to settings, empty, cache, memory, resign in, etc. No problem like this occurs with my iPad or Microsoft computer, only Sony. It has been a miserable experience. Do not buy the junk I’m fighting. Problems.

Original review: March 26, 2019

The TV needed repair within the first year. After 2 1/2 years it had no picture through cable. Off to the repairman who said it was the HDMI that needed replacement for over $300 without shipping and labor! What a lemon! Won't buy Sony again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have a Sony Bravia TV. It is unable to stream Amazon Prime without a constant message stating Browser will be closed due to Internal Error. Sony says this cannot be corrected. I will trash the Sony and buy a Samsung.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have been using Sony products for the last 25 years. I have never been disappointed with their products, especially the televisions. The picture on my current model, a 46" smart HDTV is excellent. It couples with the audio equipment I have used for the last 15 years. I am very happy.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Sony has always made great products and they stand behind their quality. We have had this tv for few years and have never had any issues with it. The picture, number of HDMI ports and other connection ports are easy to access and use.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Great TV. Never had any issues. Hired a professional to help set up a Harmony remote control. Size and picture is great. 72” but not 4K. I’ve always been a Sony fan. Price was steep which now you can buy bigger/better for less. That’s the only problem with technology is that it’s outdated very quickly.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Every television manufacturer goes through a period of producing good TVs and not so good TVs. Sony seems to be one of the more reliable manufacturers. Decide what you want for features and try to avoid the gimmicks.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Sony top model from 2016 Z9D still in production and now I know why. This set produces a flawless picture with shadow detail the best I have ever seen. Details while watching a movie reminded me of what you see play while video games on a high end gaming system.

Original review: March 16, 2019

This model needs updating, that you need to pay for unless you pay extra for service. It does not match up with Netflix very well at all. We are constantly trying to update our television. Also need to resign in for Netflix due to problems with tv.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Sony has the crispest most true color picture of any TV I've ever owned. I have an LG which also has a great picture but not even close to the Sony Bravia 65XBR850. Samsung’s Picture was fake color and Sharp's picture looked washed out.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Overall, it is one of the best TVs that I have ever owned. When shopping for TVs, I consult consumer reports; then I read about the complaints and reviews of current customers. I then do a comparison study with other brands... From all of this, I make my final choice and buy the thing.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Very good value for the money and very reliable, good color, good sound and space saving due to the size (32" screen). Easy to move and clean around, good auxiliary attachments facilities. Very user friendly remote control unit.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I purchased a Sony XBR. The picture is exceptional. The colors are vibrant and I like the fact you adjust the picture size. I realize there are many options today and I have many Sony products in my home and have never been disappointed. I highly recommend the products.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I had a chance to get any tv I wanted when my plasma died, I read reviews and even though it cost a little more I went with the Sony, and have never been disappointed. Great picture, automatic upgrading software. After all it's a Sony.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Purchased a Sony Bravia, in a short period of time, TV started turning on and off, the screen was blurry. I contacted Sony and it was a back and forward battle with them, they finally replaced the TV and in less than 3 months the symptoms and problems occurring in the brand new TV. I filed a complaint and they refused to replace the TV, after trying to contact them several times, they decided to threaten to me by sending a letter to stop contacting them. I am currently getting all evidence together, I'm taking this to Court. If anyone has/had a Sony Bravia and having the same issues please contact me.

Original review: March 13, 2019

TV went out in the first year. It was repaired under warranty. I purchased this TV as the main TV for my home, but firmly believe I should have purchased Samsung or LG as I have never had a issue with either brand.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I really like Sony but wish it were a bit cheaper. The same size TV, 50" for Samsung, LG, and Vizio is cheaper. The old Sony would need to get updates all the time but this one (2018) hasn't requested an update yet. I know they're similar to a computer in a lot of ways so I like this one much better. I can't say anything about the remote because I stream all of my TV programs.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Bought new 65in Sony Bravia TV. It went bad 2 months later. Had receipt and box still. Was told to send to Sony and they sent us a used TV that we paid $2000 for. The guy on the phone said, "Don’t worry we will give you a 2 year warranty with this TV." And now this TV quit and we called Sony and they of course know nothing about us getting this replacement TV. This has got to be the worst company. How are they still in business??? We will never buy anything Sony in our house again!!! We’re going back to LG.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We paid a small fortune, nearly three thousand dollars for a Sony large screen TV. Lots of bells and whistles. At first, we were thrilled, but the lifespan is pretty short before things start going south. Eventually, we'll need yet another outrageously priced television. I will not go with Sony again. When it's working, the picture is great. Unfortunately, it doesn't work consistently. The picture cuts out, and when we want to go to the Guide to see what's on, it freezes and we have to unplug the entire thing, wait, and then replug it and wait again while it reboots. Very disappointing. At first we thought it was the batteries in the remote, but batteries don't go bad at nearly the rate this TV consistently stops working. Never again for this brand. Too great a financial loss.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I like my TV and recommend to other people. I have had it a few years and enjoy. It is a bargain and have good reception. It was worth buying it and would buy it again if necessary.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Sony used to be a top of the line tv brand. Therefore, I purchased a Sony tv hoping to use it for at least 4 years. The tv lasted 1.5 years. I am a disabled veteran on a fixed income and cannot afford to purchase another tv. I will never purchase Sony ever again.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Been a stalwart with very few issues. Sound could be more dynamic 'cause it seriously lacks in that Depth but a simple cheap sound bar pepped that up. Picture quality is very good. Picture display is dynamic but decent even with poor quality cable.

Original review: March 10, 2019

It's largely about Black. I judge TV picture performance by how well they do the color Black. If you have a good Black, the other colors "pop" better because of greater contrast. Since the old days of Sony "Trinitron" tube sets, SONY has always mastered the blackest blacks. Love their products & never had any need to return or repair one. Maybe the pricing could be a little more competitive but I can recommend SONY quality to anyone, anytime.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I purchased my 65" Sony Bravia in 2010. Use it every day and often for hours at a time. Its picture clarity and colors have been consistently excellent. I don't use the speakers as I go through my receiver for surround sound. I haven't updated the firmware in a few years. When I first bought the unit I also purchased the wireless USB to connect it to my wifi. In the beginning it worked great. As new wireless features (apps) were added. Unfortunately they weren't available to add to the TV so ultimately I started using other wireless streaming attachments. The first one was a Roku, and now Fire TV which works great. Because of the HDMI input to the TV I'm able to turn the TV on from Fire TV remote which simultaneously turns on the receiver (Pioneer brand). All and all a solid TV albeit that is 9 years old but still works great!!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I like a picture that is clear as water. Our Aquos Sharp is a 10 as far as the clearness goes, but the Sony is in close running. I like the look, lightness in weight, sleek design, and functionality. We have the set up with a Sony Theater sound system. At one point when we were watching Oz the Great and Powerful, in 3D, our little granddaughter ended up disappearing at the blink of an eye! I looked around and she had jumped behind the sofa because "the lion was going to get her." Clear video/great sound!

Original review: March 9, 2019

Awesome TV, 75" Sony, clear picture, easy to get it up and running and we also bought a Polk sound bar, perfect for this TV. We love it and will enjoy it for years to come. We started out with a 35" Sony as our first flat screen, we still have it and it works great. I highly recommended this TV.

Original review: March 8, 2019

This is one of the finest/best purchases we've made with regard to TVs. We have other brands but this Sony is by far the Rolls Royce of the three TVs we have. Picture quality is superb, color is superb and sound is not tinny but great quality sound and the style adds a richness to the other decor in that room. From now on, it's going to be Sony brand TV's for us... We're sold!!

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.

• Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.

• Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.

• Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.

• Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs