2.95/5
Based on 108 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 9, 2018

1536 Sony TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

Sony Bravia TV 32-inch: Bought in July 2016. Stopped working in May 2018. Would not recommend this TV. Only had the TV 18 months then stopped working. Phoned Sony to see if they knew what was wrong and they said diagnostics rung around to see how much it would cost to repair but found out it was cheaper to buy a new TV. I have gone for a different brand and will never buy another Sony TV. From the start the sound wasn't very good. Had to have the sound half way and the picture quality isn't as good as some people make out. If you buy this TV get extended warranty as you're going to need it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Sony refuses to replace a recurring problem 4K-TV. I purchased the TV from Best Buy without any warranty - knowing that a brand like Sony wouldn't have any problems and would last years as they have built their reputation. Within the 1st 3 months white light started to bleed from the edges, the remote control would need to be continuously paired. Within the 1st year the TV back LED went out and it started to show lines and bleeding white light along the edges. After significant deliverance and hours of explaining my situation and providing multiple proofs of the fault they finally exchanged the TV with another refurbished TV.

Upon receipt of the replacement TV - I assured with customer service that they will stand by their product and provide any support if the same problems occur. Just as I feared the same problems and bigger faults with the back LED panel started to emerge. This time their customer service mentioned that the TV is out of warranty and cannot be replaced. They suggest to go to one of their authorized service centres. Upon checking with them - they suggested that nothing can be done and I might as well go and buy another TV! I am regretting every penny of my $4000 that I spent for this TV. I probably would have been better off with an LG or a SAMSUNG!

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The TV (Sony 65 TV 4K Model XBR-65X900F) is too much sensitive and shall have some warning notice very big in the box saying that any heaviest touch should damage the TV permanently. Only 3 days of use and during a movement to find a better position I got a big virtual crack inside the screen. One bad touch was enough to damage a TV of over $2k. The technical support did not helped in anyway, the store where I bought exempt the responsibility and ask to talk with the manufacturer, the manufacturer said to go to the store... At the store I cannot do nothing without the box.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Great picture, one of the only brands to offer 'silver' color which matches my room much better than traditional black, seems to be lasting. Gotten a lot of compliments on it.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I've always enjoyed products that Sony has. They've delivered top notch quality entertainment systems throughout my years of purchasing. I've never had any problems or complaints. I've tried other companies that haven't fared as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have had a number of Sony televisions over three decades and they have all been quality products that performed excellently, lasted much longer than their guarantee periods, and were all well designed. I do not usually commit so strongly to a particular product manufacturer, but on this occasion I am happy to endorse Sony based entirely on my own experiences of their televisions.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I bought my first Sony Bravia LCD in 2008 & was very satisfied with its quality for 9 Yrs. I bought a new one in Dec. 2017 because I like to watch golf & you can actually see different colors on the putting greens, showing which way the grains of grass are growing to see which way the ball is going to break. Mine is 49" screen. Always buy from a reputable like Best Buy, never WalMart for a perfect picture.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I always thought that Sony was a top brand. After having a Sony 50" TV for 5 years I have been very disappointed with the quality of the picture (too dark and not a high definition like it is supposed to be). It takes forever to turn it on and the bulb burns out rapidly.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We have had several problems with remotes to the tv, original and replacements stopped working. Picture quality is good, unclear at times. Setting up is easy. Nothing special about it. Stand that comes attached to keep it up is very large.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My Sony television had worked flawlessly for nearly a decade and still sits in my living room. The HD quality is not up to date anymore however is still provides a very clear picture. My next television purchase will be another Sony!

Original review: April 16, 2018

Our large screen Sony, which is 10 years old, operates the same as it did the day we purchased it. It’s able to run all the contemporary technology on it.

Original review: April 15, 2018

This television was a dependable television. It lasted for years and years but the picture was just not what other companies or the new versions had for sale. It was like a Pinto living in a Lexus world. It fit the purpose though. It played all the movies I wanted to watch and the American Idol shows. It played all the cartoons my son sat and watched as a toddler. It may not have let me choose to watch online movies or play games but it was worth its value in weight.

It was heavy. Heavy? You wouldn’t want to hang it on the wall. You wouldn’t want to put it on a bookshelf made by Walmart. You definitely wouldn’t want to place in on a corner metal rack. If it wasn't a big fat oak or walnut tree holding this baby then I would say it’s sitting in the floor. That’s only if you have a house. Those cheap ass trailer floors don’t hold them either. The new TVs however, we could hang them from the ceiling and GeeO what a good picture we would watch on the tube tonight.

Original review: April 14, 2018

The 54" Sony TV we are reviewing is 8 years old. We have never had a problem. I wish the damn thing would break so I could justify spending the money to buy a new larger screen. The problem is that it works just like the day we bought it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This is the first Flat screen and "smart" TV we've owned. It's a Sony and we are fans of Sony products. Very user friendly controls, easy to set up, watch movies, surf the web, YouTube, etc. Very impressive, attractive, light weight, easy to move and dust. We've owned it over 2 years, no problems yet.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Sony has always been great TV with built-in Android OS and I feel great about this. But I wish it was nicer with a touch of color over the border of the TV. Remote control is old and needs to be updated too. For the price I paid, this is not to my expectation.

Original review: April 11, 2018

We paid a premium price for a tv that we thought was a quality product, it wasn't and it we will never purchase another Sony item again. There was a time when Sony was synonymous with quality - not any more. High prices for low quality.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Purchase this LED TV HD 3D 75" (XBR-75X850C) in July 2016 for my Birthday, in March 2018 TV decide to stop working. After the last update, I am getting 6 red blinking light. Went online to try to fix the problem. NO luck!!! I did everything from unplug and plug it back into its own outlet, try factory reboot, cleaning the vent, comes on for a second goes right back to the red blinking light. Didn't call Sony after reading the reviews. Figure it will be a waste of my time since my warranty expire. I always been a Sony customer. "NOT NO MORE". Still paying for that huge paperweight. Bought me a Samsung UN75MU8000FXZA. Bought my Sony TV - 7/03/2016 HH Gregg/Purchase My Samsung TV - 4/1/2018 Best Buy.

Original review: March 31, 2018

We purchased this TV at Sears Nov 22, 2010. After one yr the screen started messing up, having half with color half black. Then a lot of times there is no screen or sound for hours then a picture just pops up. We deal with this mess every day for the last 7 years. I complained to Sony about it but nothing done. On the Sony website there are similiar complaints. This TV should had been recalled along with others from Sony but I guess citizens of Japan get special attention when theirs is broke. There are so many complaints with the same problem. Sony needs to step up and fix these problems. I wasted money on this TV thinking Sony was the best; however, it has been the worst.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Hello, I have a new Sony Television XBR65X850C that was working perfectly, yet I did a software update that they "recommended". Now many of the functions that I used the TV for are broken and the TV will not work properly. Tech service said software corrupted the motherboard(!) and after 3 weeks replaced it. Guess what? All the problems still exist and are not fixed!

Sony Customer Care says they don't know what to do, even when these are known problems with this update. They do not allow the user to go back to the previous software version, thus a fatal loop. Customer service apparently cannot contact their engineering dept. that would be the ones to know and resolve the issues. I have been a Sony customer for many decades. I cannot support them at all any longer and I do not know how to get my TV fixed or money back. Do not buy Sony, their current structure now is not geared to help customers and no one is accountable to help you. Unbelievably frustrating.

Original review: March 21, 2018

On October 12th, 2017 we purchased a new Sony 65 HD TV. The picture quality was great, while it lasted. On January 30th, 2018 we were watching television and it just died. There was no picture, no fuzzy screen, it was just black. We called Best Buy, where we bought it and they directed us to call Sony as we had it less than a year. After an hour conversation, being shifted from person to person they stated they would send us a part to fix it. I was clearly confused? Is this such a regular problem that they knew what to send us?? But how would I know how to change out the part??

After a lengthy conversation they agreed to send someone to repair the TV. Sony sent our repair on February 5th and we were told that the TV could not be repaired. Sony then offered to send us a refurbished TV. NO the TV was just over 3 months old and it was not a cheap TV. On February 13th a new TV was delivered and the screen on the new one was shattered. Clearly we refused delivery. When I called Sony back and told them that we would not accept the new television it was another lengthy conversation, being shifted around to different people.

Finally, after I had to convince them that we did not break the screen on the new television they stated they would send another TV but the warranty of the TV they sent out would only be one year from the date of our original purchase. This was not acceptable. By the time we get the TV we would have been without it for at least a month. I had to take vacation time to wait for delivery on the first TV. They gave me a 12 hour window of when it would be delivered and someone had to be there. So I had to take a FULL day off. And, now have to take a second vacation day to wait for a delivery that they can only say will happen within a 12 hour window.

Again, after another lengthy conversation. ALMOST 2 HOURS. I was told to call back when get the new TV and they would start a 1 year warranty from the date we received the television. They told me to call when I received the new TV so they would know the start date of the warranty. On February 27th we received the new television. As directed I called Sony to tell them we got the new television. Sony then proceeded to remind me that the warranty would be from the original purchase date??? No, I was told that it would be from the date we received the TV. Really?

Again, another lengthy conversation and the first offer I received was that they would extend it for three month. That would mean the warranty would take it until January 12th. That is NOT what I was promised. I was told that they didn't have record of that conversation and therefore it didn't happen. REALLY? I am not talking a huge amount of time difference. At this point It is about the principle of the thing, I was told it would be one year from the date we received it, why would I lie to get another few weeks warranty? I will never buy another Sony Product. I splurged and bought what I thought was the best TV out there. And for that I was forced to spend almost 10 hours on the telephone, waste 16 hours of annual leave and was basically called a liar by Sony.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Bought a Sony xbr 75x940d tv on 11/17/16. Cost $4600 at Best Buy. Had a great pic on 3/14/18. Lost pic while watching it. Called Sony support. Tried all their reboots still no pic. Menu just a light blue screen. Had sound and volume work. Called Sony. They said they could not help. Set is out of warranty. Had a service repairman check it. Said the display panel was bad. Cost would be over $2000 and none were available. Is there anything I can do to save this tv. Sony does not care. Will not buy any Sony product again.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Sony 55" 4K Bravia smart T.V.: I bought the T.V. on 2/20/17 at Best Buy. In late November 2017 I noticed a thread like line running from top to bottom of the screen. I contacted Sony service dept and they instructed me to try rebooting the T,V. which I did with no improvement. I contacted service dept several more time over the next month and a half. At first they seemed like they would help me. I was instructed to e-mail them pictures of the serial number, the problem area and a picture of the entire screen which I did.

After waiting for several days they got back to me and said I caused the problem as there was a small crack at the bottom of the screen. That did not appear until a couple of weeks AFTER I noticed the line which is now almost a 1/4" wide. I called Best Buy where I bought the T.V. and they sent a "Geek Squad" technician to my house and he agreed with me that we didn't cause the problem because the crack is on the INSIDE! What do I do now? I have owned Sony products my entire adult life with no problem! I guess I will have to change my loyalties.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Paid $5000 for this Sony XBR75X940D 75” TV from Best Buy. The TV was hardly used and just passed the year warranty and the image on the TV screen no longer displays. I replaced the T-CON board and the main board as these can be the main culprit. The boards were fine. It is the panel itself and a TV repair workshop confirmed this is a COMMON PROBLEM for top of the line Sony TV's and the cost to replace this with parts, labor and shipping runs close to $2K.

Sony Support will not work with me to assist and only direct me to TV repair shops. Best Buy want nothing to do with this. Sony products appear to be inferior and you cannot get support from them. I recommend you do not invest in Sony TV's. If you do, then take out an extended warranty. Unfortunately I did not and now have an expensive piece of junk that will not work or can’t be fixed for a reasonable cost. Hoping Consumer Affairs or the Better Business Bureau can get further than me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Sony Bravia - We are buying Sony TV just because it's very good in quality and there will be no problem for long time. But in first year itself we had some minor problems and immediately after 1 year Television is completely OFF. Service center executive came later. He informed LED should be replaced and it will cost around 10k. Since 1 year is completed warranty cannot be claimed. If this is the case then why we should pay so much and go for Sony products? Instead we can go for some other brand which affords less price and good quality too.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018 From past 3 months, Sony was promising to supply TV but at the end Sony denied to replace old TV by new one.They were demanding more money for new set.

I mailed 120 times and talked to Customer Care 100 times. No results found. Never buy Sony products.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We purchased our brand new tv over Black Friday. Woke up one morning to discoloration on the screen with no external damage to the tv. Our case was reviewed and said it was caused by some sort of physical damage. The manager (I couldn’t understand her name) said that it could’ve been done by pressure from a finger?! A finger?? A $2500 tv can be damaged by pressure from your finger. You know what that tells me? It’s junk.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Warning: Sony can care less about customer service .We just spent thousands of dollars on a 75" 4HDTV (the latest) and a 65" 4HDTV. Less than 5 days after paying to have the 75" and the 65" hung on the wall and setup , the 75" suddenly started to show static and then the entire screen went to blue and white stripes . After calling Best Buy we were told we had to call Sony repair and after at least 10 minutes on hold a customer serviceless employee told my wife they would deliver another one in about 2 weeks. When asked about the setup and installation cost they said, "Oh no, you need to take the TV (extremely heavy) off the wall and put the new one up and set it up yourself at your expense... We don't do that type of work."

When asked about the hundreds of dollars we spent to have the TV hung and setup we were told, "Oh well it was your choice to hang it on the wall so you will have to pay to do it again." When asked if we could talk to a supervisor she was told, "Listen, I do this all the time and that's the way it is so a supervisor will only tell you the same thing." Now the 65" is getting static so we are returning both TVs and getting our money back. BEWARE, not only has Sony become a junk dealer they treat the client like junk. Save the aggravation, save your respect, save your money, buy Korean.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

It doesn't matter what type of movie you are watching or how old the movie is that you are watching for the outcome is still the same, high definition and clarity. When I watch black and white old movies it's as if the was made in the present. Plus, you don't have to turn the volume up so you can hear.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

For a 700 dollar Sony Bravia Smart TV, it looks nice but doesnt come with Hulu installed. It's not even available to download it. The browser is so hard to get to and when you find it after 25 minutes and searching every spot the obsolete remote doesnt allow you to actually search anything. It is terrible, poor design and really close buttons make it almost impossible to use for anything other than turning it on. It' very hard to use the browser as well and doesnt connect to even the best internet available like I have. It doesnt get any updates and constantly asks for you to update it. And if you try that it tells me my internet is too slow.

My final thoughts would be to run not walk away from Sony Bravia Smart LED TVs. The picture is very nice and the TV itself for being 65 inches is very slim and light if you have to move it. But some of the LEDs are already not working and it's not even a year old. It wasn't even dropped or hit with anything. The smart part of it is more a pain than it is a blessing.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Sony TV has great value, nice images, clean and crisp. Everything about our Sony Xperia TV is great, except the sound isn't too strong. I would recommend a sound bar or something else that would help make the sound experience more even.

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.

• Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.

• Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.

• Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.

• Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs