2.28/5

1557 Sony TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I was a great fan of Sony Products. Purchased Sony LED TV (48W700C) sometime during 2016 with date of manufacturing as “Aug 2015” for Rs 80,000/. During, Sep 2018, .i.e. within 2 years odd months, there was panel issue and no display in the TV. Based on my complaint (no **), Sony technician at Bhubaneswar confirmed that the panel was to be replaced. Submitted a quote for Rs. 26000/. Absolute no cooperation and you feel helpless. No further advice/suggestion, except for a very quick quote. Disheartened as I purchase Sony products basically for its longevity & user friendly. However, this particular product which cost me about Rs 80000/ is out of order with panel replacement issue within a span of about 2 years. E-mail sent to Customer Care remains unanswered even a twit to its MD has no response and not a phone call. Sony as a brand is losing customers’ confidence thick & fast. As a customer, I expect a replacement without cost.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

The TV (Sony 55 TV 4K Model XBR-55X930e) is much too sensitive. They should have some warning notice in the box saying that any moderate touch could damage the TV permanently. As I was putting the TV in the box to move I placed my thumb on the corner of the screen and heard a crackle. When plugged in it had a spider mark with lines running horizontally and vertically. A big virtual crack inside the screen. One touch was enough to damage a TV of over $1500k. The technical support did not helped in anyway, the store where I bought was exempt and told me to talk with the manufacturer, Sony experts said I caused the physical damage and that voided the warranty. Class action lawsuit anyone?

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I won a Sony TV on the children's home lottery in Alberta. I picked the TV up from the retailer and took the TV home. When I hooked the TV up it had a crack on the right side of the screen. At the time I picked up the TV there was no damage on the box. And when I took it out of the box I used kid gloves so I did not damage the TV. When I called Sony they said they didn't cover physical damage. The thing is I did not damage the TV and neither did the retailer. it had to have been done at the factory, my advice is to pick another brand of TV and inspect it and turn it on at the store before you take it home. Had trouble understanding the manufacturers reps as they did not speak very good English.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I purchased my Sony television on May 2, 2016 and it’s been two years and three months. Two days ago I got up and turned on TV and it came on and then went off again and kept doing that steadily until I unplugged it! Tried numerous times to turn it back on and then it would go off and come back on again steadily with black screen. Very frustrating! It’s been mounted on my wall and was a hassle to take the 65 inch down and take to a repairman! I haven’t watched the TV a lot cause I have two Samsungs in the other rooms. The model number of this TV is XBR65X900C.

I didn’t purchase a protection plan on this TV from Best Buy in Little Rock Arkansas! My TV repairman said to me that part for this TV from Sony is $695 and then replied to me that the new TVs are not as good as the old ones! He said it needs a main board! Sony is horrible and I will discourage anyone from buying a Sony television or any product from Sony! I am disgusted with Best Buy too for selling Sony televisions! This isn’t right and I will check with consumer guarantee about this! The main board in this tv was defective and I happen to buy the wrong television! Sony should compensate me for this! But of course, they won’t!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased a Sony XBR55X900E 4K and it only lasted 9 months. It has less than 50 hrs of use since it's on a spare room in my home. Sony wants to replace it with a used, returned, and repaired at their factory (Refurbished) TV. My set looks brand new without a blemish or scratch on it. Sony says that the TV they will send may have blemishes, scratches, etc. I find this to be an insult. Is there anyone I can write to in order to get a brand new set? Thank You.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We bought the 9 series 65" and have had it for 1 1/2 years. We bought it on sale for $2000. It died after 1 1/2 years. Calling Best Buy, they suggested buying a new TV as we didn't have the extended warranty. Spoke with Geek Squad who advised us that Sony was covering repairs for the TV that won't turn on. Called Sony and they informed us it would take 5 business days to repair. It's been longer than that and now they are claiming there has been a delay on the parts. They should replace our TV instead of making us wait another week! So sad!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

After having an issue with my first Sony TV where the output source would make a loud buzz every time you changed channel, I paid 600 dollars to upgrade a model. More than the difference in price. The unit was supposed to be new but did not come in a retail box . 6 month later the TV had a dead line through the entire display. They now have replaced it with a "new model" that has an inferior picture and build quality. I am shocked at how bad the quality is. 3,400 dollar TV should last more than 6 months. How are we supposed to be concerned about pollution and energy usage when companies like this are engineering products that skirt a fine line between functioning and failure and total disregard for the consumer to maximize profit.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

The picture on the Bravia screen started to flicker and show double images less than 3 years after purchase. The problem is with the panel and it will cost more to repair than the TV is worth. I contacted SONY, the company didn't do anything to help resolve the issue.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had purchased Sony Bravia klv-32r562c full hd in December 2015. But after 2.5 half year problem started in picture quality. I have contacted Sony support team and they said needs to be change displayed/Panel and repair cost is 13700. I am really disappoint that within 2.5 year my tv displayed is damaged and such a high cost needs to be bear. In future I will never buy any Sony product. Also recommend to other do not buy Sony tv. I will really appreciate if Sony team resolved my issue and repair free of cost as I am never expect that in short period my tv displayed is damage for such a big brand tv.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Purchased Sony Travis 3D tv on 2013. Cost over £1300.00. Picture was really bad in MY this year so called independent engineer. After having it for 2 weeks his conclusion was the screen LED be light had failed. Returned it to P.C. World under the Sale of Goods Act & they agreed with report. Sony do not know make this model so unable to get new screen. Still not resolved with them. Sony do not want to know? All they say is unfortunate? Having always considered Sony a reputable company I will never purchase any item made by them again.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I bought a this TV Sony 60" Bravia on Walmart and it was a nightmare. We bought a Sony brand expecting that I was buying a good brand and TV. After almost 8 month my TV stop working and I call to assistance. They told me that will take some days or weeks to fix my TV and now I don't have TV. I called them to know the deadline and they couldn't know tell me and said to wait their time. I called to Walmart and they told me that can't do nothing to help us. If you can, buy on Costco, because they treat better the customers in case of some problem or products issues. I'm disappointed with Sony and Walmart. I just want my TV working.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Perfect size for me and I really like it. Performs well and looks good and never have had any problems with the set. Clean and sleek design, too.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Beware of SONY services, STAY AWAY FROM SONY. Even 1 star is too high for such a horrible service. After 6 months huge dead pixel on tv screen!!! I paid almost 2000$ for this tv and Used tv only 170 Hour. They seems like friendly at first just to take all your information and details then show up with middle finger by put your case on damage by accident. No SERVICE AVAILABLE. I sent them a email photo of issue attached. We not even touch the screen and the customer service comes up with "seems like you press on screen!!!" Your product is out of warranty now forever!! (No sign of damage or any kind. It's only dead pixels.) Such a nasty service. Won't go on Sony anymore.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I used a Sony 32", very nice, good colour and sound perfect but after some time it developed screen problem. Uptil now, the TV is just parked in a corner. Sony can improve in prevent the screen from been damage by power supply, maybe by installing a stepdown or something to prevent direct power supply to the TV set. But apart from the screen problem, Sony is the best.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I bought a sony XBR75X900E 75 in 4k HDTV about 8 months ago. The TV started to show banners of colors on the screen. I contacted Sony and insisted that I do not want a re-certified TV. I did not pay $4000 to be given a $1500 re-certified TV. They said they will send me a New TV. I Fast forward 4 months after getting the so called TV, the TV would not start up and started to show 6 blinking red lights. TV never turns on. I called Sony again and they sing the same song of "under Warranty we send you only re-certified TV". I did not get the value for the money I spent.

The customer service representatives are either very rude, or just give you answers like - "There are known issues with Sony products and this is what you get." "It is an electronic product it can fail". Not 2 television sets of same model in less than 8 months. They do not own up to their product. They are not proud of their products. I feel Sony has fallen from its standards. This will be my last Sony TV ever, and I will not promote Sony products among family, friends and any of my companies. I will move away from Sony products after this disappointing experience with Sony. Bottom line they are helpful when you give them money and after that, they are plainly rude and hide behind "warranty rules" and drive customers away. - A very disappointed, never again Sony customer.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Bought failure Model of Sony Bravia TV on Nov 2017, and not getting on from May 30th, following with the team, even after replacing the board it's failed to work again. Dealer says to report in consumer court. :( Very worst experience with this TV. Team says they cannot replace the TV and they can only replace the board again which they are not sure how long it's going to work.

Original review: June 26, 2018

After 6 months from purchase the Sony 4K HDR Ultra HD TV (XBR55X900E) would not turn on. I called Sony and they sent a new AC Adapter a week later. That did not fix the problem. I called back, they sent a technician to the house. He could not fix the TV. The technician called Sony and explained the TV was not able to be fixed. They sent a refurbished TV a week later and I had to take the day off from work to be home for the delivery. The delivery team set the TV up and plugged it in. It did not turn on. They moved the TV to another outlet. The TV turned on and eventually went to the setup screen. They took the broke TV. I moved the replacement TV to my living room and it would not turn on. I moved it to several different outlets that were tested with other appliances and working. The TV would not turn on from the remote or from the back of the unit.

I called Sony and asked for a refund. They said no. I asked for them to come get the replacement TV. They said no. Now they are sending a technician back to the house to fix this broken TV. In the meantime I have been without a TV so I went and purchased another TV. How long will this cycle of call, troubleshoot, send part, send technician, sent refurbished broke TV continue? In the meantime I am out of a lot of money with no help from Best Buy, Sony or CitiBank that holds the Best Buy Credit Card. What a scam. I am going to file a complaint with the consumer protection agency in my state and maybe have to file a small claims case to resolve this. DO NOT BUY SONY PRODUCTS!!!

Original review: June 13, 2018

This Sony has not only been dependable but has survived 2 separate moves and functions as good as the day it was put into service. Purchased over 10 years ago and it's in use almost every day since. Still has great picture and is operating without flaws.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The Sony I have is a 60 inch about 7 years old and there was a problem with the software. They noticed 2 years after I purchased it and I got a letter and a flash drive, it told me to plug it in and it was installed. Great service. The tv is a bit older and the way they make them now the same size tv compared to what I have is a lot smaller and 50 percent lighter.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I bought my first Sony color tv in 1965. At that time other color t.v. brands would be delivered to purchasers but could not be used until someone showed up to adjust it. Then if the tv was moved it would have to be adjusted again. My Sony was delivered and I just plugged it in and turned it on. That sold me on Sony and I haven't ever been disappointed. This brand has always provided high quality reliable television watching.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We have 4 Sony flat screen televisions, two are 15 years old and we have never had any problems or repairs. Excellent picture. Excellent television.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Sony Bravia TV 32-inch: Bought in July 2016. Stopped working in May 2018. Would not recommend this TV. Only had the TV 18 months then stopped working. Phoned Sony to see if they knew what was wrong and they said diagnostics rung around to see how much it would cost to repair but found out it was cheaper to buy a new TV. I have gone for a different brand and will never buy another Sony TV. From the start the sound wasn't very good. Had to have the sound half way and the picture quality isn't as good as some people make out. If you buy this TV get extended warranty as you're going to need it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Sony refuses to replace a recurring problem 4K-TV. I purchased the TV from Best Buy without any warranty - knowing that a brand like Sony wouldn't have any problems and would last years as they have built their reputation. Within the 1st 3 months white light started to bleed from the edges, the remote control would need to be continuously paired. Within the 1st year the TV back LED went out and it started to show lines and bleeding white light along the edges. After significant deliverance and hours of explaining my situation and providing multiple proofs of the fault they finally exchanged the TV with another refurbished TV.

Upon receipt of the replacement TV - I assured with customer service that they will stand by their product and provide any support if the same problems occur. Just as I feared the same problems and bigger faults with the back LED panel started to emerge. This time their customer service mentioned that the TV is out of warranty and cannot be replaced. They suggest to go to one of their authorized service centres. Upon checking with them - they suggested that nothing can be done and I might as well go and buy another TV! I am regretting every penny of my $4000 that I spent for this TV. I probably would have been better off with an LG or a SAMSUNG!

Original review: May 1, 2018

The TV (Sony 65 TV 4K Model XBR-65X900F) is too much sensitive and shall have some warning notice very big in the box saying that any heaviest touch should damage the TV permanently. Only 3 days of use and during a movement to find a better position I got a big virtual crack inside the screen. One bad touch was enough to damage a TV of over $2k. The technical support did not helped in anyway, the store where I bought exempt the responsibility and ask to talk with the manufacturer, the manufacturer said to go to the store... At the store I cannot do nothing without the box.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Great picture, one of the only brands to offer 'silver' color which matches my room much better than traditional black, seems to be lasting. Gotten a lot of compliments on it.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I've always enjoyed products that Sony has. They've delivered top notch quality entertainment systems throughout my years of purchasing. I've never had any problems or complaints. I've tried other companies that haven't fared as well.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have had a number of Sony televisions over three decades and they have all been quality products that performed excellently, lasted much longer than their guarantee periods, and were all well designed. I do not usually commit so strongly to a particular product manufacturer, but on this occasion I am happy to endorse Sony based entirely on my own experiences of their televisions.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I bought my first Sony Bravia LCD in 2008 & was very satisfied with its quality for 9 Yrs. I bought a new one in Dec. 2017 because I like to watch golf & you can actually see different colors on the putting greens, showing which way the grains of grass are growing to see which way the ball is going to break. Mine is 49" screen. Always buy from a reputable like Best Buy, never WalMart for a perfect picture.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I always thought that Sony was a top brand. After having a Sony 50" TV for 5 years I have been very disappointed with the quality of the picture (too dark and not a high definition like it is supposed to be). It takes forever to turn it on and the bulb burns out rapidly.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We have had several problems with remotes to the tv, original and replacements stopped working. Picture quality is good, unclear at times. Setting up is easy. Nothing special about it. Stand that comes attached to keep it up is very large.

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.

• Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.

• Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.

• Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.

• Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs