Sony TVs

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have purchased Sony LED two years back. One day it stopped working so I called to sony customer care and they assign the call to me nearest centre, however their technician visited to my home and said motherboard got damaged so needs to be replaced. I agreed and whatever the amount he said I agreed also. So he given surety that same will be done in 4-5 days. Now 20 days past many calls to sony call centre, sony service centre. Every time they are answering "within 1-2 days it will be fixed". This is worst experience. Every time their answer "this part does not manufacture in India so it is coming from other country". Even they dont know the timelines. Nothing, nothing. Also they are saying that we will call back but no call. Very worst services. Also if they can't give the any part in market why they are selling the TV?

Sony Bravia KLV-32R422B LED - Worst Experience after buying Sony LED. Just after 2 year of Purchase, its display went blank. Technician says, "You need to change the panel", and it will cost me 13000 rs. I thought Sony is the best in LED market, but today my feeling got hurt. Worst LED manufacturers! Don't buy this product.

In 5 to 6 years with this LCD tv of your sony this is terrible effect of it. The screen was responding and disappear its layer without any accident. It was automatically. It is harmed and the screen was showing falling off. Its LCD layer was affected. Pls... Help us to replace it or changing this device. Thank you.

My TV has been nothing but problems. Can't connect to wireless. Have done everything possible, all other devices connect but it can't. Can't stream so why have a smart TV. I have tried complaining to Sony and they just blame AT&T. Horrible experience.

I had bought a Sony LED Bravia 46" TV believing that it is a good brand and I will never face a problem with the product. I have bought the TV for the amount of Rs. 85000/- in November 2013 but recently the screen panel is shut down on its own. The product has never been mishandled or it has never gone through any external impact and one day it stopped working. On contacting the service centre and Sony management through their mail sonyindia.care@ap.sony.com they are suggesting to pay Rs. 30000 to just repair the product which is more than 1/3 rd of the cost of TV. In that much amount I can buy a new TV of other good brands also. But the issue is that with no fault at our sides, the so called branded Sony Bravia is of no help and it is just shirking off their responsibilities as the product is definitely having a manufacturing defect.

I have read many of the complaints regarding the same product on internet. Sony is now just spending a lot of money on advertisements and marketing, if it would have just spent a third of this money in improving its technology and providing better consumer satisfaction, it would be good for the company but unfortunately, the company is surely going down and of no use. In fact I think instead of spending that much money on just repair of a dumb box which has no guarantee that it will work for even 1 day or 2, I should just resell it and buy a new one of other brands. The experience with Sony was so pathetic and frustrating and I would definitely suggest all the people that never go for Sony products, as they just not worth it and also there are a lot of manufacturing defects in their products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Smart 4K TV 55" XBR-55X700D - Upon receipt of my new TV, I discovered two things. #1 Sony infrastructure was not set up to support the new model yet. The TV searched and searched for software updates it could not reach. After 2-3 people on the customer support line, I learned the Sony server to provide that was not even set up yet. Plus I could not register the TV online for warranty purposes, because the new model was not available as a choice to register... nor could I enter the model number manually.

I was instructed to download the update online to my laptop, unzip the file, move it to a thumb drive, plug the thumb drive into the back of the TV and update that way. The TV would not recognize my thumb drive, which was a 32GB. I was then instructed to use no bigger than a 4GB thumb drive. I had to buy this before I could proceed. SO, two days later, the TV did indeed recognize the smaller drive and the software was able to be updated. Hopefully the automatic updates the TV looks for on an non-existent server will have something to actually look at soon. Selling a product before all the support infrastructure was in place was just dumb.

#2 Screen defect. There was a section along the left side of the screen about 5" down the side of the screen x 1" into the picture. This defect looked like a flashlight was shining onto the screen which completely washed out any picture or color. It was very distracting during darker scenes or displays on the TV. I sent pictures to Customer Support as asked. I was told they reviewed the pictures and engineering determined that the TV was "working within specifications". Really... they specify a defect like that is AOK? Wow. Luckily I bought this TV through Amazon. On all the paperwork with the TV it says NOT to contact the seller of the TV with issues, to contact Sony. Well, Sony not only sold a defective product, they said it was OK and that was it. Amazon stepped up and replaced the TV. They can deal with Sony.

If given a choice, I will NEVER use a Sony product again. Quality and customer satisfaction are not what they focus on. I will say that Sony's response was fast and their techs were friendly. Past that, they get a giant fail. There is no excuse for a brand new product having flaws like this and on top of it for Sony to not make it right. Again, this review is about SONY'S FAIL. The seller Amazon was awesome.

Sony Bravia 4K TV 55 Inch - One of the worst experience with Sony both as a product and Service. The TV developed vertical lines in 3 years time and it took 1 week for the service centre to send a person. He comes and tells us that it is a Panel issue and needs to be changed. As though we can't make out. He comes and charges us Rs 230 for saying that. Then there is another bombshell that it would cost 70 thousand for the New Panel. What is purpose of buying such an expensive TV when it cannot last for a longer period. I feel that this is a design fault and have seen many complaints on this product. My recommendation is not to touch Sony products ever.

2 years back I purchased Sony led tv, now it is in repair. Sony company service men told that motherboard problem it cost 18000 rs... We purchased led tv by spending 50000 rs, thought that Sony is a good company. Please tell me for a common man can bear such loss... Why this company sell cheap products in India... if this happens in America what will happen...

I will never buy a Sony product again, the customer service is terrible. I have a problem with my new 70 inch TV shutting off. I called the service number and was told to hook up the IR blaster and that my problem would stop. (It did not.) I thought my problem was my cable box, after getting a new one my problem slowed for a while but did not go away. It started to get worse. Knowing my 1 year warranty was coming up I called the service dept. to get this problem resolved. After running through some test, I was told that I was covered and this would be taken care off. I was to wait for a e-mail from a repairman, to set up a time for evaluation. The next day I got a e-mail from Sony stating my warranty was up.

I called customer service again the next day, and that's when it started, I was put on hold for 30 min then it went to dial tone. I called back. Explained what had happened to me. I was assured this would be taken care off again. I was to wait for a e-mail from the repairman. The next day I got another e-mail from Sony stating my TV was out of warranty. At this point I am getting upset, I called back again and explained what has happened to me. I again was put on hold for over a hour. After calling back on another line I was told that dept. went home two hours ago! At this point I am asking for names and employee numbers. On several occasions I was denied.

I had asked to speak with a manager. I was told I have to remove my TV from the wall and take it to a certified Sony repair shop. I had explained I do not have time, or a box to put this TV in or a vehicle to haul it to a repair shop. I had explained it was delivered by two men and a truck. Unhappy with this solution. I called back trying to get someone different to help me, I was put on hold again and was transferred to play station troubleshooting.

At this point I am feeling very frustrated, I can not believe what has been happening to me. After cooling down and feeling helpless, I called back and was told, go online and find a certified Sony repair shop in my area and to take my TV there to be evaluated. I had asked who is going to pay for this evaluation, I was told that would be worked out. I went online to find a repair shop. There is only one in my area, one and a Half hours away, and they are only open Monday through Friday. The repairman says do not bring this TV to him. He needs a authorization from Sony to pay for this evaluation. I am still waiting for this problem to be resolved. Beware of the words. STAY ON THE LINE!

Bought an open box Sony from Best Buy. The sound kept kicking in and out making watching TV impossible. Hooked up the old set and returned the Sony. Best Buy did not have another one at that location so drove across the city to get a new box TV after we were given an open box price. 1st class action by Best Buy. Hook up the new TV. It works a while then that sound started kicking out again. Contacted Sony and they walked me through downloading programs. I am near computer illiterate first class ability to Sony techs at walking me through that. Worked for a while then kicked in and out again. Contacted Telus. A service employee came in short time, looked things over and updated our cable boxes. Problems solved. Everything has worked great. It's been over a year. No problems. I have never had such quick and awesome consumer service as these three companies. My hats off to every service employee I talked to.

I have purchased a Sony TV in January 2013 and it has only been 3 years and the television has started giving us terrible troubles. My Tv is a Sony KLV - 40EX430, Serial no - 3256859, CCC ID: 33003620. First we had noticed that the TV was switching on and then switching off immediately afterwards and the red link was blinking 6 times, to which I called your customer care and they were obviously aware of this issue and took a request complaint after which they sent a technician G. ** who looked at the tv set and said that it could be a panel problem and said that there was a backlight error problem and we need to replace the panel for Rs 9000.

So after that we had assumed that there would be no issues, but alas, I have started facing the same red light blinking 6 times again. We called the customer care and booked a complaint and the same ** person has told me that I would be required to spend another 22000 approximately to get this issue resolved. I had made a request to talk to a senior manager in the service department to Mr ** and unfortunately no one has returned my call yet.

On further research across the internet and YouTube, this red light backlight error seems to be a common error for many consumers of Sony and the earliest complaint that I could see was from 2008. It is appalling to see that a company like Sony, which is perceived as a great brand in India does very little to its technical faults and continues to sell these televisions in the market. I have looked up on YouTube as well and would like to register a formal complaint against Sony for not having resolved this issues in the last 8 years.

There are many low cost tips on how this can be resolved available on the internet, however they are very technical and not something that can be done locally by every consumer. I would like to know if there is a solution to this problem and will my TV be repaired or should I like many other consumers abandon my association with Sony and never recommend this to any other consumer or distributor?? I would like to talk to the senior manager of service to figure out the solution to my problem! I am hoping that somoene in the organization would have time to talk to a consumer or I would make sure that social media and everyone on my network never buys a sony product again. Expecting a response and a resolution!

SONY 32W670A LED TV - Being a Sony fan, it pains for me to inform you that not only I am in trouble with your product but also extremely disgusted with your service. It has been over a month that no action has been taken from your end. The same problem has occurred within one year after your replacement of LCD panel. Being a reputed concern of yours, it is rather unfortunate that you have paying your deaf ears to my request. Purchase Date: 03-12-2013. Fault Found & Service Request ID: ** (dated 08/08/2015). Fault type: display issue - red spot on screen. Fault serviced on: 14-08-2015 (LED panel) (A32V1) - replaced. Fault Found & Service Request ID: ** (11/07/2016) (same fault as earlier). Fault type: display issue - red spot on screen (same problem found earlier on 08/08/2015).

I bought a 70" Sony TV less than 4 months ago and have nothing but issues. The TV won't even turn on for hours at a time. I reported the issues a month after having it. They walked me through a "Hard reset." The issue never went away. I called to tell them I want a replacement. After 4 months of issues that no one should have with a brand new TV, I constantly get the run-around. It's impossible to get a straight answer and now they want to repair it. IT'S ONLY FOUR MONTHS OLD AND I SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON A PIECE OF JUNK. How can Sony not stand behind their product??? I will NEVER recommend Sony.

We specified to purchase the Sony 52 inches Bravia LCD TV because of its name even though the price is higher than other brands. We thought it will last longer and better. Wrong. Starting 2 years ago, it requires "warm up" before the picture came on clearly. In the beginning, the WARM UP time is 5 min, then 10 and grew to 30 mins before actually watching TV. I think it's ridiculous. Now, even with warm up, the screen blinks and glare a lot while watch. I think it's bad for eyes. According to internet post, a LCD tv should last at least 16 years (60,000 hours) of usage. My last 8 years/6 years (while warm up started required). I will try to contact Sony, but the chances is slim according to some people's complaint. Very disappointed, SONY failed us, SONY is not good any more.

We bought Sony keeping in mind the brand and worldwide presence, but disappointed. Just in 5 years, the TV screen is bulging and peeling off. This is an unique and very disappointing experience. This seems to be manufacturing defect and should be replaced by Sony to keep their customers happy. My Sony home theatre also had to be thrown as it was going bad to worse in 5 years. I will discourage all the prospective buyers to buy any product of Sony. In such competitive environment, Sony can't afford to sell low-quality products and retain market share. Kindly look into this.

This TV has been NOTHING BUT FRUSTRATION from day one! First off, it had a major issue with my brand new TWC Aries Enhanced DVR where if you powered off the TV and then turned it back on there was NO audio. Sony support said it was Aries' problem to fix and TWC said it was Sony's problem to fix and in the meantime, every time I powered off the TV I had to finagle around to the back of the TV and unplug the HDMI cable connecting the DVR to the TV, wait for the TV to detect the cable was unplugged with a "no signal" message and plug it back in and voila, sound! Very Frustrating!

The last Sony firmware update on 7/06/2016 caused me to lose a paid for subscription streaming channel under Sony Select. The channel was simply gone as was the "More Apps" group it was found under. Therefore, I had to cancel my paid subscription. Very Frustrating! This TV WILL NOT stream from any Internet input to completion and takes roughly 3 hours to watch a 1.5 hour movie as it consistently reboots in the middle of the movie and returns to the 'Home' screen. Very Frustrating!

And then going back to your movie and attempting to fast-forwarding back to the spot where the TV rebooted is PAINFULLY SLOW as you have to HOLD DOWN the fast-forward button until you get there which drains the AAA batteries in the remote control; which btw should have been engineered with AA batteries not AAA, and then when you get to the spot in the movie where you were so rudely kicked out of, it may or may not start playing, more consistently not playing the movie at that spot but yet 'HUNG' and you can click play, pause all day long and nothing happens! Very Frustrating! When the volume button is pressed the entire screen brightens until the on-screen volume indicator goes off then the entire screen dims back to where it was and the TV's brightness is set to MAX, so how can it even get brighter anyway? Very frustrating!

I contacted the supposedly Sony "Dealer" who indicated they wouldn't take the TV back as I already had the TV past the return period and informed me to go to Sony Support! Very Frustrating! I've spent countless hours with Sony Support and had dismal results! Very Frustrating! After 4 months of use and 3 software updates this TV is worse now than it was with no updates!

I have been purchasing Sony products for 35 years and accepted paying the premium Sony prices as I've always had fantastic results with Sony equipment, until now which I am extremely disappointed. My speculation is the problem with this TV is Sony teaming up with Google as it is a Google Android OS, however, NOWHERE on the Sony box is Google's name in addition to the ad where I purchased the TV did not list Google's name so I paid no attention to the Android OS since it is an open source OS. I thought Sony may have tweaked the Android OS for their product. NOT!

In addition to these serious problems, the Bluetooth on this TV doesn't even support a pair of high-dollar Sony BT headphones! What a JOKE! So, you pay big bucks for a Sony product and it turns out to be GARBAGE. What's a consumer to do? I'll tell you what I'm going to do, NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER SONY PRODUCT AGAIN!

I bought a 65" sony bravia sep 2015. Hdmi has broken twice. Once in May 2016 and the other in July 2016. Every time it rains and thunder not even close to my house the hdmi breaks. They send a tech out to change the motherboard. But I think one of the problem is that the hdmi are all on the same board. Otherwise you switch to a different hdmi port with no problem. Just call a tech. But you still have hdmi picture. The tech told me he changes at least 10 a week. Maybe not a good tv for south florida. I left sony a message to see what they're going to do about it and they have not call me yet. Also have two ps3 for 8 year know and was plug into tv when it happen in may hdmi broke. Put in my other one when they fix it and know that one broke. Thanks sony. I am ** out of luck. Or am I?

I bought a TV 4K 70x850B on June 15, 2015 at Best Buy. On November 2015 I started to have problems. First I would be watching a movie and it would stop and go to regular channels. It would do this regularly. I bought it at Best Buy. I went to them regarding the problem since I had the TV for less than 5 months. They told me it was Sony that had to take care of it. I called customer service. They got inside my TV and told me there was an update. The TV is on auto update, but they kept insisting that next month it would be an update. For 4 months they been saying that. Then the TV started to black out and it would have (Internet browser will be closed due to internal error).

Customer service kept telling me wait for an update. This went on for another 2 months. Finally they send a repairman out with new board. He put it in and the TV was fried. He called customer service and they told him they were going to replace it. It's now July 2016 and still waiting. It has been an absolute nightmare. I'm paying for a TV that does not work. They have offered me a TV that is used. I refused. I paid almost 3,000.00 dollars for my TV and they offered a used one that is on the marked down for 2,399.00

So I asked for my money back. They don't want to pay back my taxes. I told them they had to pay back the taxes. They told me they have to pick up my TV before they give me the money. Between all of this there has been numerous amount of hours on the phone, days of worked missed for repairman, hours of work missed for phone. Called and no solution. The hassle and headache this has caused me you really can't put it into words. I have even offered to pay for the difference but their difference is more than double. The price I paid for mine put together is more than what Best Buy is selling for a new model for this year. That's when I asked for my money back. SONY HAS HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE and no customer satisfaction. I threaten to take them to small claims court which I may still do.

I had purchased Sony Bravia kdl55w950. Before completing a year, twice display has malfunctioned. I purchased Sony thinking it's high quality brand but what I found is it's a most worst brand. Please people don't invest in Sony. They charge more for low quality panels. And 1 more thing is inside the panel is LG made. I was shocked to see the LG made panel inside Sony Bravia. I don't know what to do. Goin for Sony was my biggest mistake.

Problem SONY TV Panel is evident everywhere. Will give problem within three years. It's my experience and their service center support is very pathetic. Highly recommend not to think about SONY if anyone wants buy TV.

Bought Sony xbr75x850c and cost me fortune. I regret buying this piece of ** tv. Not user friendly. No quick access to activate 3D. Before I can access the 3D on sync menu and when I updated firmware it's gone. You're such a big company you still dont know what you're doing. I hate this tv I'm going to return it. Get a Samsung or LG.

Have been having an issue with our Sony TV shutting itself off then coming back on and it seems to kick off when the audio starts. It's very annoying, not to mention, we can't use our Sony. We only have one television in the house, and the only thing hooked up to it is a dvd player. We would like to know what could possibly be wrong with it. Have owned it since about 2010, but have only used it since 2013. Any help with what this issue is would be very helpful. It's been a great system up to the last several weeks because it will at some point stop shutting itself off and operate as it should, unless by now something has gone completely out, and based on other reviews I've read here, there are no replacement parts available for televisions that are over 5 years old.

As of today our XBR55X8010C Bravaria UHDTV has been out of commission for six weeks with no hope in sight. Beautiful picture but six weeks after purchase from BB it goes dead. I know, these things happen. Since BB only has 15 day exchange policy we have to go to Sony for repair. This all started on a Saturday. After a 25 minute phone call proving that the TV is actually plugged into the wall and that it is really dead, they write up a service order.

On Monday I get an email stating that the work has been subbed out to a company for repair and that a replacement board (static recovery board) will be sent. The very competent tech arrives (who was apparently a sub-contractor to the contractor) on Friday and installs the board. Still dead. The tech says Sony ordered the wrong part and that they will have to send the correct one. He called Sony on the spot and told them about the problem. Monday, I call the tech and he said they are waiting for a new repair order from Sony.

I then call Sony and they say no one has reviewed my case yet and someone will send me an email. No email arrives on Monday. Tuesday afternoon (this is now 9 days since it went belly up) I get an email from Sony telling me that the part is not available and they will have to replace the TV as long as I can provide proof of purchase. So now, they are going to send out another TV by carrier and pick up the old one. My first issue is that Sony made a judgement over the phone of what caused the problem with the TV and didn't send enough parts. The second issue is that they don't have the part? In a current production TV?

About 10 days later a replacement TV shows up with what was supposed to be the "white glove treatment". They must have been handling it with boxing gloves because the screen had a nasty crack across it. So, I refuse the delivery and the trucking company takes it back. I immediately contact Sony and they tell me when they receive verification from the trucking company they will begin an exchange. I tried to get them to call the truckers directly, but they said no, they have to wait until the shipper contacts Sony.

Another nine days later I contact Sony again and still no verification from the shipper that the TV was returned. I raise holy hell and get a supervisor. Again I ask for a refund. The supervisor gives me two choices; I can request a special refund, which gets submitted to a special review board and takes a week. If the refund is approved it takes 4-6 weeks for them to cut a check. The second choice, to continue on the path we are on and try and expedite another exchange. Naturally I heard nothing. I have requested a refund several times but Sony refuses.

There are so many more calls and details that I could spend an hour here listing them all. I'm really disappointed in what used to be a great brand. While the customer service provide plenty of empathy, they are terrible at resolving the problem. Right now I am trying to figure out how to file a small claims action against Sony. Maybe I should sue BB because they sold me the defective set and they have a location here in my county.

As we purchased Sony LED TV 2 year before by considering it as the best brand in case of LED TV. We purchased it on instalment due to its high cost and get relaxed for next 10 to 15 years considering it as a best in class. But after 2 years we faced vertical lines on our TV panel with multicolour. When we contacted to the customer care they gave us the number of technician. When we contacted to the technician he told us that the TV Panel has to be replaced and it will cost us around Rs 25,000/-. We shocked that this is the maintenance cost of a TV. This amount is out of reach for us in a very short period of 2 years, so I request to the company to replace it at free of cost, because it is a manufacturing problem and also because of poor quality of the product.

I bought a Sony 46" LCD TV KDL 43W950C in Nov 2015 and paid about Rs 80,000/-. From day one it gave problems and finally within 6 months in May its panel (the front screen with all electronic circuits) got busted. The Sony Service Centre replaced it. It is now working but we keep our fingers crossed. Now we have completely lost faith in Sony gadgets.

We bought a Sony Smart TV last year and until today it's been okay. The colors are great and it is visually appealing. We always watch a movie every Saturday night and the movies come alive thanks to Sony. It is an amazing product. We're very happy that we went with Sony and not with other brands. I've heard some don't last even up to a year. Sony is very reliable and durable. The quality of the TV is excellent and world class. If ever I needed a TV again, I would not think twice to buy a Sony TV. It is the best in the market. I don't think there is a TV that can match it.

I have bought SONY BRAVIA model No. KLV-40R482B serial no. ** in the month of July, 2014. On 26th May, 2016, I have noticed that one small line appearing on the screen, I immediately call your customer care to resolve the issue. By the time 27th May the problem has escalated further, more lines appearing and shown hazy screen. Your engg. visited on 28th May, 2016. Told that the screen gone out of order and need replacement. I am surprised - note that the product of Sony which is known for its product, quality and service gone out-of-order in short period of time i.e. a major part that is its screen which cost @ around Rs.20000/-.

I have a Sony LCD TV. Yes, LCD, not LED. I bought it for my PS3. I wanted to upgrade to an LED TV but since my old LCD TV was too expensive, I feel that I should wait for a couple more years to get the most out of it. I see a lot of other TV brands that offer the same features only cheaper. What I don't like about my TV is that it doesn't have a USB port and it's too bulky as compared to the old ones. I'll just replace my TV when I upgrade to a PS4.

Had Sony Bravia TV for 3 years now. Shame we can't use it to full extent because there is no digital cable service available in our place yet. But my father enjoys watching movies on it and enjoys the 1080p capabilities. One thing I don't like about it is that you can only use Sony products with it. It would have been cool to surf internet and use it as your screen, but you have to buy a Sony-made chip or something to get it to connect to the wifi. It's something I wish it could do without, but as of now it's more than good enough.

I am super amazed with the quality of Sony televisions. The first TV my parents bought was a Sony TV... They bought it a year before I was born, year 1984. I can remember still using it until I was in college. The picture is still as clear as it could ever be, although some switch buttons are already missing. Years later my mom would give it to my cousin. There was a problem with the volume but it still works after 20 long years...

Now that I have my own house I would have loved to own a Sony TV of my own but the TV I bought is cheaper and the salesman said it's the Go To when buying smart tv. The appliance center I also went to also does not have a Sony Smart TV the size I am looking for, but my mom owns a new (yes, you got it right) Sony TV, and she expects it to last as long as the one she originally bought.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.
  • Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.
  • Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.
  • Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.
  • Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.
  • Best for Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Compare TV Brands