3.03/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

1501 Sony TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

In 2011, I purchased a 32" Sony Bravia tv (1080p) and it is still going strong! This tv has been used 8+ hours a day ever since! My only complaint is the speakers on the tv do not sound great when turned up loud for music, however, this is an easy fix bc it is fine when hooked up to Sony surround sound. I love that it automatically turns on when I turn on my PS! Thank you Sony!! Faithful Sony customer for 20+ years!! PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Sony Surround, and Sony Bravia all great products!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

All apps take forever to load. Featured apps are duplicated, sometimes showing the same app 4-6 times. These should be based on what I watch not what you are promoting. The guide, which brings the best interface I have experienced, is slow and freezes all the time. App order is always changing. What's up with that? I have hated the user experience.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Purchased the TV at the price of 3200.00. Had the TV for about 40 days and lines appeared on side corner of TV. Called Best Buy and they directed us to Sony. We sent several photographs along with our discussions with representatives that gave us NO solution or repair exchange advise. They allege we damaged it. Totally not true. Worst customer service ever. They take no accountability or responsibility for anything. Offered us a 200.00 dollar discount on another TV. Absolutely crazy. Never buy Sony. If the TVs are that fragile they should put a caution note on the display as to extremely fragile. Just awful experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

New TV KD-55x7000E, I found screen damaged before use, local buyer said “Sony will not replace because they are sure more than 100% about their products!!!” then Sony agency refused replacing or do maintenance, they said it was broken with customer, which is no true. I’m will recommend this brand. I will try my best telling my story to everybody.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Don’t buy Sony TVs. They are providing worst service and they will charge more. I register complaint on 4/10/2017 for screen issues till 1month over still problem is not yet solved. Complaint and complaint number ** and very much disappointed and very much irresponsible answers from customer support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I purchased 2 XBR HX 950's in 2003. BOTH developed the dreaded horizontal line. The first one I had purchased an extended warranty from the retailer and I used the credit to buy a different brand. A few months later, the 2nd set also developed the horizontal line. I had to take up the replacement issue with Sony. Some of the other HX 950 owners before me who had the same problem were offered a partial credit. Some were offered a replacement but they were all edge lit display 4K. Mine was a Full Array 1080p.

Nonetheless, I wanted my next TV to be MY choice. I asked Sony if I could get a credit. They refused and said I had to accept a replacement and I had NO say in the matter. To make matters worse, they said the replacement ONLY CAME with a 90 DAY WARRANTY. I pleaded with them for a credit so I could make my own decision on a purchase but they simply refused. I used to be a loyal Sony customer but I am DONE with their overpriced garbage. They've lost me forever.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

2 years ago we purchased a 65" 4K HD Smart TV from Best Buy for $4000. I know, it's super expensive but this was my husband's pride and friggin' joy! So a couple weeks ago an update came out for the TV. The update was for the overall performance of the TV adding features for the Apps. We did the update and it broke our TV. We called Sony, we emailed Sony, and we called Sony again. We were told that because the TV is out of warranty and it's not a "software issue" that we are responsible for repairs. Sounds fishy to me. One of the conversations that I had with a service guy he said that the issue is like a recall in cars. Not every car has a specific issue but a lot of them do and we happen to have a TV that has an issue. Well, this to me sounds like he was saying this TV has a recall that they knew about yet they are unwilling to fix it?

I asked WHY the hardware issue happened immediately after we did the update that SONY TOLD US TO DO and I was told that it must have been a "coincidence"! I am NOT happy!!! TVs are supposed to last more than 2 years! Especially a top of the line TV that is so stinking expensive! We have multiple Sony products throughout our house including TVs, VR, multiple PS4s, Vita... They make it, we have it. Yet, Sony is unwilling to fix this problem. Very Unsatisfied customer right now.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My tv (KLV40R482B) panel has gone bad, reason they are giving is the panel failure. When I asked them how, they say could be power fluctuation or the water might have gone inside, which is not the condition. I asked them if it is power fluctuation why the adapter didn't go bad? Why that motherboard did not go bad when it has other connections like Chromecast and Hathway set top box? They don't have the answers for that.

Also when I called the customer care and raised the request their response was 2 weeks after the request raised and said "you just need to replace the panel which costs 18K" and "why," I said "why only panel have gone bad?" They said, "it is defective so it has gone bad." So nasty answer. What I feel is they are taking it as granted by selling all rejected products in India. I would recommend not to buy Sony here onwards as they are bad at service and bad at the prod quality. They just can't justify why this has gone bad. They should have a fault tolerance for these kind of components where they are heavily priced or the important part of the tv.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Sony 40" LED TV was purchased before 1.3 years and it has biggest hardware problem in which TV is unable to switch on. When you call customer service they just ask service charge. Am I responsible for this worst Sony TVs. Please don't purchase these TVs. It's just good brand name with WORST products. TV model --- W56D.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have a 40 inch flat screen and love it. The picture is clear and very nice. I like the brand and am happy with this product. I have had this tv for 4 years and is still running very well.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I purchased a TV for the in-laws. The first day after setting it up I noticed that it was pixelated. I called Sony. They check my Serial number and told me it was in warranty, I sent the pictures and then sent the invoice when they asked for it. They immediately tried to say my serial number was liquidated which wasn't true. Then they tried to say the TV was purchased AS-IS.

One of their reps called the auction place and explained some are sold as-is (meaning broken or pieces are missing and preview is recommended because if you buy something AS-IS there are no refunds) and some are sold as new or refurbished with a 24 hour guarantee. Mine was purchased as brand new with a 24 hour guarantee.

The Sony rep switched the auction reps words around and said you have no warranty. So I sent screenshots of a posting of an AS-IS product and the posting of my TV. They have since ignored me and will not honor their warranty. The TV's manufacture date is only 9 months old. I will be pursuing to get a new TV either by a lawsuit or whatever my other options are.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I received this television as a Christmas gift about two years ago. I have found it easy to navigate the different functions that is built into it. It has not had a problem with anything may it be the volume, picture, remote etc. I love Sony brand electronics. I still have two cassette boom box radios that I have had for around 20+ years. They play like they did when I first purchase them.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Our Sony has been a very good brand of TV and we have not had a problem with it. The Sony is a very attractive unit and we would buy one again. As for value, I think no matter what the brand, they are all overpriced.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

We bought 2 Sony Smart TVs 2 and half years ago from John Lewis as a trusted brand from a trusted store. Costing us around £1000.00. Now we find we cannot watch BBC iPlayer and our Sony TVs offer a limited BBC Iplayer service - we have another much cheaper LG which provides BBC I-player without any problems whatsoever. We feel very let down by Sony and would not recommend Sony TVs based on our experience. Can the BBC Iplayer issue be resolved? It is very frustrating that our relatively new TVs have a very limited streaming service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I purchased a Sony Smart TV from Currys. 6 weeks before my warranty run out, I could access the apps and kept losing volume. Called Sony customer service and painfully run through the troubleshooting over the phone. After 45 mins, advised that I would have to have an engineer visit. I was told the engineer will contact within 4 hours however didn't hear from anyone. Tried to call back however the office hours are Monday to Friday 9 till 6 pm. As it was Friday at 6:30 I emailed customer services explaining and asking for them to change my contact number to my mobile because on Monday I would be at work not at home.

Monday come and go and no call, Tuesday I am told they have no record of my call or that an engineer visit has been scheduled. The advisor finally put me on to a supervisor who continued to say that an engineer visit wouldn't be necessary and that I hadn't completed the troubleshooting, to cut a very long story and having to raise a complaint. An engineer visit was scheduled however because the outsourced company Smart Solutions also only work Monday to Friday, had to book a day's holiday to be there for the engineer. 2 guys turn up from Smart Solutions to basically take the TV unit away, at no point was I told the TV wouldn't be repair on site.

I tried to call Sony customer service however I couldn't get through before the engineer left. Then had to start the whole process again as repair had to be done offsite and Sony would not replace the faulty unit. Anyway after using 3 days holiday and being without a tv for 3 weeks. Sony think £50 compensation is fair... I was told by Currys that LG are the best TVs and best company to deal with when it comes to repairs or replacements. I honestly will never buy anything else from Sony again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I purchased a 75" TV in April 2015. The TV has worked great for over two years. I moved from Colorado to Utah and in the process had my surround sound stolen. I setup my TV over a month later in Colorado and the sound didn't work. I contacted Sony support and we determined that only some of my buttons worked on my remote. After talking with an agent that wasn't very good and asked the same questions multiple times it was decided to do a factory reset. After the factory reset it goes through steps where you resync the remote to the TV. This step didn't work so now my TV is stuck on a screen that I can't get past. The rep said there was nothing they could do and contact a Sony repair shop. VERY DISSATISFIED.

Original review: July 31, 2017

It seems Sony is selling faulty TVs and not informing their customers. On the 5th April I purchased a brand new 2017 XBR55X900E Sony TV from amazon.com. From the minute I received the TV it has given me nothing but problems. It would suddenly reboot itself, the picture would get blurry for a few seconds during a movie, etc. These things only happened a few times so I was willing to live with this (although I had never experienced such issues with other non Sony TV's). Then one Sunday afternoon with guests over watching a basketball game the Tv turned off and would not come back on after trying everything and a lot of googling (Sony Tech support is not open on Sunday) we discovered this is a common problem with Sony TV's and you have to do a Factory Reset.

After the second Factory Reset it finally started working again. A few weeks later Sony does a Software update and Suddenly the TVs WiFi connection does not work. Luckily this happened on a weekday and I was able to contact Sony customer support who walked me through the whole process of fixing this. A little over a week ago the TV suddenly stops working again. It will not come on and even a Factory Reset does not fix it. After contacting Sony they tell me the LED screen has failed and it needs to be replaced. They say it will take 5 days total to fix the problem. They will order the part and receive it in 2 to 3 days and then the repair person will contact me and schedule a repair within 2 days. At this point I am angry now. This tv is not even 3 months old and I have had a slew of problems with it.

It is now over week since I called customer support and I have still not heard anything from Sony. Sony Customer Support keeps shifting the blame to the Repair company saying they are an independent company and have nothing to do with Sony. This Tv is not even 3 months old and is still very much under warranty. What is even more disturbing is after doing some research I found out that Sony has had issues with their LEDs failing for a long time however new buyers are unaware that this is still a big problem.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Bought a XBR 65X900E Sony TV on March 6, 2017. The first delivery would not power up properly and we returned it for a replacement on 4/14/17. Executed a firmware update on July 22, 2017 and the TV crashed with 4 red lights. The Sony customer service was terrible, they had no idea what they were talking about, rerouted me to phone numbers that were incorrect and when I finally got a customer service person who could help, they refused to replace the TV that their firmware damaged.

I was escalated to their customer relations dept, which is a joke. There is no one else to speak to and after 2 bad TVs within 3 months, they referred to the warranty and would not budge. So now we get a service call, they have to open up the TV and replace a board letting in dust, placing it on its face, and who knows what else. And I must reiterate that it was damaged by THEIR firmware update. Their quality control is clearly lacking. They apparently don't test their updates and I will never purchase another Sony product, ever.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I purchased a Sony Bravia from Best Buy in September of 2015 and took advantage of the free interest. A few months in, a black line appears across the screen. Best Buy took the tv back and gave us another. 6 months or so later that tv starts to reset itself to Android. I google the problem and did as instructed by Sony, reset to factory settings. That lasted a few days and I would reboot again. The tv started doing it more often so I contacted Sony online and was told to do a forced factory reboot. That didn't last 24 hours. Contacted them again and was told it needed service. Of course the warranty is out as I make my last payment this month and the last Sony product I will purchase. A Japanese company, assembled in Mexico and dumped in the U.S.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I always thought that Sony's were the top of the heap. So when I went to Best Buy in June 2017, I headed almost straight for the Bravia's. They are more expensive than Samsung and LG, but they are Sony's, right? I bought the 45", 800 series - the good one... right? Well, it's nothing better than marginal. If you have any Apple devices or you are familiar with IOS, you are out of luck. Netflix, usually works, but not always. As it sit here, 6' from my 6 week old Bravia, I'm listening to Netflix on my iPad because I can't get it on my TV. But, if you like slow, unresponsive menus, filled with choices for new things you can but you're in luck. Here's my best input... Closely evaluate each possible TV. See the remote in action (they can't find them at Best Buy), try to download an app. And, save your money; Sony may have been the best... but no longer.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Sony 48 inch Bravia smart TV: I purchased this TV on August 17 2014 from the Sony store, and one week later, Sony closed all Sony stores in Canada. I tried to connect to Netflix with no success, many times. For three years I have been calling Sony for help, the last time on July 12, yesterday. They found a record of the warranty many times I called, but yesterday all of a sudden they have no record of my warranty. Very strange how that could happen. I called back to a different service agent, with the same result. I will never purchase a Sony product again and tell all about the service I received. By the way this product was made in MEXICO.

Original review: July 12, 2017

We have a large 75 inch Sony Bravia and are reasonably happy with it. Good picture but needs rebooting every 4 days or so. So we thought we could not go wrong getting a 2nd one for our reception room. In 7 months we used it only twice, on the third time it would not switch on. We reported to Sony who passed the problem to their service subcontractors.

Now, almost 3 weeks later, about 5 to 6 phone calls, one 5 hour period of waiting for a tech who did not show up at the allotted time and the TV is still broke. We are so embarrassed because we were very positive to our friends and family about the TV and one of them, on our recommendation, purchased a Sony Bravia. If anything goes wrong with that TV we will be even more embarrassed if they experience the same problems. It is their only TV and if they have to wait three weeks especially with the weekend footy... This will be our last Sony TV for a while and we will have to tell all those people who we told about our TV about our problems with Sony service!

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have had this Sony 46" TV for many years and really pleased with the performance so far. Almost afraid to make this statement because I may have jinxed my current pleasure with the product. But all in all this brand gets my full recommendation for anyone wanting a good quality and reliable TV.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Sony products last for years on end and are durable and dependable to the end of its life expectancy. I have owned Sony products since the walkman radio days. I have found that they are able to handle the usage that I can give a product from time to time. I have had 3 TVs, 1 Sony Walkman, 1 radio CD player, and 2 radio boomboxes, 1 3-Disc CD Compact Stereo System, 1 Sony Laptop, 1 Sony Streaming System. They are all still here and working with the exception of 1 TV which last for quite a long time and then one day just went black while I was watching it. I gave a second TV away. I love my Sony products. When it comes to electronics I only purchase Sony products.

Original review: July 6, 2017

It was very reasonably priced as it did not have its original box. It's 10+ years old and never had a repair - is used almost daily for about 5 hours.

Original review: July 6, 2017

If you're looking for a great TV this choice was worth the money. I will be buying another large flat screen in the future. I will do my research then, read other posted reviews and make another decision based on that research. Sony has always been a key player. I own 2 Sony XBR 4k TVs now. The 78" and a smaller one for my bedroom. I reviewed many large 4k TVs. It appeared that for the money, the 2014 Sony Bravia 78" 79x900b XBR was the best choice. No problems, no regrets and I've had it for about two years now. I bought the extended warranty for peace of mind.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Have never had any problems with our television and it's nine years old. Picture quality and sound are still fantastic! I always buy Sony because they are so reliable.

Original review: July 5, 2017

The set was expensive, but we were changing from analogue to digital and wanted a good set that would not let us down after the warranty expired. We're happy with it and so far so good.

Original review: July 5, 2017

The set I purchased, was a 40 inch, as it had to fit in a spot. The price was about $300.00 and worth every bit. Excellent picture and good sound. Very light and easy to move. I have had the set for 4 year and no problems.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Sony has lived up to my expectations for the most part over the years. I like the way it looks as well as performance. Performance of my Sony compared to my cheaper tv in another room is far better as well as picture. The price is usually high and as always people would like to pay less. As long as they continue to go above and beyond on their products Sony will be my first choice.

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.

• Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.

• Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.

• Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.

• Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs