1.86/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1573 Sony TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Hi all... I purchased a Sony led TV model number KLV40W562D from Trivandrum QRS retail limited on 03/09/2016. I do always felt happy on Sony products and on healthy recommendation I purchased the same... but soon after the warranty period of two years Sony led lost its AV Mode and when technically seek advice it been informed that the board is fault and need to be repaired. Sony is such an established firm which always entertain the needs of its customer and I was there to purchase another set this month. But due to this painful experience I wish to Go for better options and do moving forward to file a suit on consumer Court also... I still expect a better response from the Sony group which always preserve, conserve and practice its customer service.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

TV lasted three months after the one year warranty. Took it to the repair shop. Panel is junk. Sony used to be a good TV. Man not anymore on my book. I'm going to LG TV. Never had any problems with the 5 cheaper brands that I have.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Mother's Day 2018, I purchased a Bravia 48-inch TV for my husband. Within two days it was having issues lines in it, freezing up, apps not working. I get in touch with Sony, we go back and forth troubleshooting, trying to get it right. It didn't get right, so I had to wait for them to send me a replacement Tv and then send the broken one back. I get the replacement TV, within 2 weeks I'm having issues with it. Apps freezing up, not working right. I call Sony we troubleshoot, nothing's working. They send me a third TV, I send the second TV back. And now I'm having issues with the 3rd TV. They wanted me to spend money and buy a USB so I could download their update because the TV would not update. I told them, no, I should not have to purchase anything to get a TV I've already purchased, to work correctly. So they sent me a USB with the downloaded information. My husband connects it to the TV, does the update, and now it won't work at all.

You'd think Sony would make it right but no not one little bit. They will not help me, they want me to be in front of the TV again and still try to troubleshoot. I am done with that TV. It is the third one, it is obviously a lemon and they will not give me my money back or they will not make it right I'm done, I don't recommend ever purchasing anything from Sony again I've been a loyal customer for 30 years, they will not see another dime of my money. If I knew I had legal recourse, I'd take it. I hated even giving them 1 star.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I bought Sony TV LED in 2014. After installation TV did not turned on. Called customer service waited for one month to replace it. I asked for refund. They refused. Now after 2 years problem in TV. Called customer care for issue clear. They responded after 5 days, technician has come simply said panel has to replace which will cost around 16000, what the hell Sony company people are thinking. Produced waste products cheating customers. I am going to complain on this brand. I am requesting you kindly do not purchase Sony products.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My HD TV started powering off with no warning. Sony sent out a repair man with a new power board to be installed. I had the TV off the wall as requested. To my surprise the repair man looked around for a place to do the repair. Like a dining room table worth thousands. This is a 50 plus inch TV. Sony when did my home become your repair shop??? This is a insult to me as a consumer. You may have garbage for furniture. But my house is not full of crap furniture. You lost my business forever. XBox and Apple here I come.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Bought the television in January. It already stop working. Light blinks 4 times and turns off. No fix other than trashing the thing. Hundreds of other consumers having the same problem. Television should be recalled before it catches fire. Won’t stay on long enough for a factory reset. Sorest television ever.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I bought a Sony TV XBR55X930D in 2016 August. Barely two years, the screen has developed a solid horizontal line 3 inches away from the edge. I was told by the Sony authorized service center that the TV panel is defective and it needs a replacement out of my pocket. To top it all off, the panel can only be sourced from Japan or Mexico and the cost is almost the cost of a new TV. Sony product is no longer what it used to be and it should not demand the premium price. It is better to look at the other brands that offer the same or better technology with better pricing and probably better service and reliability.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I bought Sony Bravia 4k smart LED TV KD-55X7000F 55 inch and I was actually excited because I know this was a very good brand but I was disappointed after I bought this and pay in the counter and sales staff pull until outside in the building and reach home and then we test. I saw that this Sony have LED crack inside and some linings without fall down and just test. And when I bring that TV in electronic shop they did not change the TV even though I did not use even 1 time. I am very sure that this sales staff don't know how to carry a standards of proper handling the items. I really lost my money and they cannot do good solutions to the customers.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We purchased this TV in Nov 2016. Used aprox. 18 months. Finally figured out it was the adapter. Sony is horrible to deal with. Difficult to understand and they do not care about the consumer. I asked for a new adapter because I felt 18 months was ridiculous for it to break down. They let me spend hours thinking they might replace it for goodwill gesture. SONY WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU IF YOUR TV IS OVER WARRANTY. ALSO YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR RECEIPT OR they will do nothing. I will never buy another Sony. I have had great luck with Phillips and other brands.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

My Bravia TV won't work after a blackout and I had a chat with the live chat support team. After explaining what happened to my TV. Told the person what model I have and answered when and where I purchased the TV. He then referred to a service retailer. Didn't find it extremely supportive, maybe my local Jaycar store would probably be more helpful than that.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bought SONY LED TV but its hard disk crashed within 2 and half year. I suggest don't go for Sony TV. Rates are high and quality of products is very low. I wasted the money by purchasing the Sony tv.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Sony products once considered as highly reliable have recently had many quality issues. My 32" LED TV hardly lasted for 3 years! The picture quality deteriorated with vertical and horizontal lines appearing. Similar is the case with several of my close associates. Do not recommend Sony anymore.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I purchased a 75" XBR75X900E series Sony TV ($3,000) and a HTST5000 Sony Sound Bar ($1,500) in September 2017. A few months after installing, the HDMI ports of the TV started to fail, one-by-one. Sony sent an in-home repair person, who replaced the motherboard of the TV. I had to pay the repair person to help me remove the TV from the wall. After replacing the TV motherboard, the sound bar stopped working. With the help of Sony technical assistance we were able to get the sound bar working again that night.

However, several weeks later the sound bar stopped working again. Multiple calls to Sony tech support would fix the problem, but then several days later the sound bar stopped working again. Now Sony wants me to ship the sound bar to their repair depot. To do that I have to pay someone to remove the TV from the wall mounting so the sound bar electrical cord (which is hard-wired to the sound bar) can be removed from behind the wall. Then, when the repaired sound bar is back, I will again have to pay someone to remove the TV and re-wire the sound bar electrical.

Given the multiple issues with the equipment so shortly after purchase, and the fact that I am not sure it is the sound bar (and not the TV) that is malfunctioning, I requested that Sony send an in-home repair person to diagnose the problem. They refused. I escalated my request to Sony customer service and they too refused to deviate from their policy that all sound bars be shipped in for repair. They suggested they were actually doing me a favor since the one-year warranty has just run out, even though I reported the sound bar problem weeks before. My previous TV and soundbar are Samsung. I have owned that equipment for six years and have never had a problem. I made a mistake in choosing Sony this time around.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I bought Sony Bravia 1.5years ago. Suddenly my tv stuck in black screen after logo. Service center people don’t have that model part and ask me to go for panel replacement which cost 25000. Horrible experience with Sony. Please go for other brands Samsung, LG etc.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have used Sony for 15+ years. I have seen multiple issues and never complained. I ordered a product and could tell after downloading that it was truly defective. After following the recommended troubleshooting with no results, I was refused a refund with the reason that it is no longer their problem. They wanted me to contact the developers directly and get them to create a patch to fix the game. This wasn't the first but it is the last time I ever purchase any product from Sony. Even getting my new TV fixed was such a hassle that I decided to cut my losses. I hope every consumer has an opportunity to see this before they consider any Sony product. Terrible customer service all around.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was a great fan of Sony Products. Purchased Sony LED TV (33W562D) sometime during 2016 with date of manufacturing as “Aug 2015” for Rs 37000/. During, Sep 2018, .i.e. within 2 years odd months, there was panel issue and no display in the TV. Based on my complaint (no **), Sony technician at Ankit confirmed that the panel was to be replaced. Submitted a quote for Rs. 12000/. Absolute no cooperation and you feel helpless. No further advice/suggestion, except for a very quick quote. Disheartened as I purchase Sony products basically for its longevity & user-friendly. However, this particular product which cost me about Rs 37000/ is out of order with panel replacement issue within a span of about 2 year.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I was a great fan of Sony Products. Purchased Sony LED TV (48W700C) sometime during 2016 with date of manufacturing as “Aug 2015” for Rs 80,000/. During, Sep 2018, .i.e. within 2 years odd months, there was panel issue and no display in the TV. Based on my complaint (no **), Sony technician at Bhubaneswar confirmed that the panel was to be replaced. Submitted a quote for Rs. 26000/. Absolute no cooperation and you feel helpless. No further advice/suggestion, except for a very quick quote. Disheartened as I purchase Sony products basically for its longevity & user friendly. However, this particular product which cost me about Rs 80000/ is out of order with panel replacement issue within a span of about 2 years. E-mail sent to Customer Care remains unanswered even a twit to its MD has no response and not a phone call. Sony as a brand is losing customers’ confidence thick & fast. As a customer, I expect a replacement without cost.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

The TV (Sony 55 TV 4K Model XBR-55X930e) is much too sensitive. They should have some warning notice in the box saying that any moderate touch could damage the TV permanently. As I was putting the TV in the box to move I placed my thumb on the corner of the screen and heard a crackle. When plugged in it had a spider mark with lines running horizontally and vertically. A big virtual crack inside the screen. One touch was enough to damage a TV of over $1500k. The technical support did not helped in anyway, the store where I bought was exempt and told me to talk with the manufacturer, Sony experts said I caused the physical damage and that voided the warranty. Class action lawsuit anyone?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I won a Sony TV on the children's home lottery in Alberta. I picked the TV up from the retailer and took the TV home. When I hooked the TV up it had a crack on the right side of the screen. At the time I picked up the TV there was no damage on the box. And when I took it out of the box I used kid gloves so I did not damage the TV. When I called Sony they said they didn't cover physical damage. The thing is I did not damage the TV and neither did the retailer. it had to have been done at the factory, my advice is to pick another brand of TV and inspect it and turn it on at the store before you take it home. Had trouble understanding the manufacturers reps as they did not speak very good English.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I purchased my Sony television on May 2, 2016 and it’s been two years and three months. Two days ago I got up and turned on TV and it came on and then went off again and kept doing that steadily until I unplugged it! Tried numerous times to turn it back on and then it would go off and come back on again steadily with black screen. Very frustrating! It’s been mounted on my wall and was a hassle to take the 65 inch down and take to a repairman! I haven’t watched the TV a lot cause I have two Samsungs in the other rooms. The model number of this TV is XBR65X900C.

I didn’t purchase a protection plan on this TV from Best Buy in Little Rock Arkansas! My TV repairman said to me that part for this TV from Sony is $695 and then replied to me that the new TVs are not as good as the old ones! He said it needs a main board! Sony is horrible and I will discourage anyone from buying a Sony television or any product from Sony! I am disgusted with Best Buy too for selling Sony televisions! This isn’t right and I will check with consumer guarantee about this! The main board in this tv was defective and I happen to buy the wrong television! Sony should compensate me for this! But of course, they won’t!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased a Sony XBR55X900E 4K and it only lasted 9 months. It has less than 50 hrs of use since it's on a spare room in my home. Sony wants to replace it with a used, returned, and repaired at their factory (Refurbished) TV. My set looks brand new without a blemish or scratch on it. Sony says that the TV they will send may have blemishes, scratches, etc. I find this to be an insult. Is there anyone I can write to in order to get a brand new set? Thank You.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We bought the 9 series 65" and have had it for 1 1/2 years. We bought it on sale for $2000. It died after 1 1/2 years. Calling Best Buy, they suggested buying a new TV as we didn't have the extended warranty. Spoke with Geek Squad who advised us that Sony was covering repairs for the TV that won't turn on. Called Sony and they informed us it would take 5 business days to repair. It's been longer than that and now they are claiming there has been a delay on the parts. They should replace our TV instead of making us wait another week! So sad!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

After having an issue with my first Sony TV where the output source would make a loud buzz every time you changed channel, I paid 600 dollars to upgrade a model. More than the difference in price. The unit was supposed to be new but did not come in a retail box . 6 month later the TV had a dead line through the entire display. They now have replaced it with a "new model" that has an inferior picture and build quality. I am shocked at how bad the quality is. 3,400 dollar TV should last more than 6 months. How are we supposed to be concerned about pollution and energy usage when companies like this are engineering products that skirt a fine line between functioning and failure and total disregard for the consumer to maximize profit.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

The picture on the Bravia screen started to flicker and show double images less than 3 years after purchase. The problem is with the panel and it will cost more to repair than the TV is worth. I contacted SONY, the company didn't do anything to help resolve the issue.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had purchased Sony Bravia klv-32r562c full hd in December 2015. But after 2.5 half year problem started in picture quality. I have contacted Sony support team and they said needs to be change displayed/Panel and repair cost is 13700. I am really disappoint that within 2.5 year my tv displayed is damaged and such a high cost needs to be bear. In future I will never buy any Sony product. Also recommend to other do not buy Sony tv. I will really appreciate if Sony team resolved my issue and repair free of cost as I am never expect that in short period my tv displayed is damage for such a big brand tv.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Purchased Sony Travis 3D tv on 2013. Cost over £1300.00. Picture was really bad in MY this year so called independent engineer. After having it for 2 weeks his conclusion was the screen LED be light had failed. Returned it to P.C. World under the Sale of Goods Act & they agreed with report. Sony do not know make this model so unable to get new screen. Still not resolved with them. Sony do not want to know? All they say is unfortunate? Having always considered Sony a reputable company I will never purchase any item made by them again.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I bought a this TV Sony 60" Bravia on Walmart and it was a nightmare. We bought a Sony brand expecting that I was buying a good brand and TV. After almost 8 month my TV stop working and I call to assistance. They told me that will take some days or weeks to fix my TV and now I don't have TV. I called them to know the deadline and they couldn't know tell me and said to wait their time. I called to Walmart and they told me that can't do nothing to help us. If you can, buy on Costco, because they treat better the customers in case of some problem or products issues. I'm disappointed with Sony and Walmart. I just want my TV working.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Perfect size for me and I really like it. Performs well and looks good and never have had any problems with the set. Clean and sleek design, too.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Beware of SONY services, STAY AWAY FROM SONY. Even 1 star is too high for such a horrible service. After 6 months huge dead pixel on tv screen!!! I paid almost 2000$ for this tv and Used tv only 170 Hour. They seems like friendly at first just to take all your information and details then show up with middle finger by put your case on damage by accident. No SERVICE AVAILABLE. I sent them a email photo of issue attached. We not even touch the screen and the customer service comes up with "seems like you press on screen!!!" Your product is out of warranty now forever!! (No sign of damage or any kind. It's only dead pixels.) Such a nasty service. Won't go on Sony anymore.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I used a Sony 32", very nice, good colour and sound perfect but after some time it developed screen problem. Uptil now, the TV is just parked in a corner. Sony can improve in prevent the screen from been damage by power supply, maybe by installing a stepdown or something to prevent direct power supply to the TV set. But apart from the screen problem, Sony is the best.

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.

• Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.

• Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.

• Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.

• Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs