1.68/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1594 Sony TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Got an onscreen message from Sony that there was an important update that needed to be installed. I let it install, which only took about 25 minutes, and found that I no longer had any sound from Netflix, Prime, YouTube or any of the app programs. In addition my headset would not produce sound for the apps either. My headset would however, produce sound from my regular TV (DirecTV) but I can now not turn down the sound on the TV to zero and then control the sound to the headset with the headset sound controls. The headset controls now also control the sound levels of the TV.

Two TV techs from the store the TV came from spent almost 3 hours on 2 visits and cannot find a fix at all. It is a Sony software glitch that apparently only Sony can fix. I am told that several of the stores customers are having problems because of the latest update. If you are reading this, you have probably already experienced the problem. If not, beware of Sony smart TVs. They don't have a good history.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Sony KDL43W800C. 2 years and several days after, now my supposed to be Sony Android TV is not working, just sound and vertical lines. Price is so expensive but I still bought it because of its premium brand. Not anymore. Sony no more. Very poor quality. So frustrated!

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Bought a new Sony 4K TV 8 months ago. The problems started from the very beginning. Internal Chrome Cast does not work to cast from an iPad. Tech support was not helpful on that issue. Had to buy an external Chrome Cast and connect it. The apps do not work properly - tech support not helpful on that either. Basically forget trying to use them -just cast from your device. The TV would not turn on sometimes - not all the time - which was odd. You would have to go and unplug the TV and then plug it back in to get it to turn on.

We eventually called Sony. They sent a repairman. Again - horrible experience with the repairman and he broke the TV. It won't even turn on now. Sony does not consider it to be a "new" device. So they will only replace with a refurbished device. Um - 8 months old... We have been going back and forth with Sony for months now. Still don't have a working TV. Read the warranty info carefully on the product. After 3 months you are almost out of luck with Sony. The customer service is difficult and not helpful at all. Will never buy another Sony again!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

This TV is soooo not “smart!” If you buy it you will be frustrated every time you turn it on. It has absolutely no ability to connect to WiFi as it should. Every device in our home gets connected and stays connected, but this “stupid” TV cannot. The interface is also very “dumb.” DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THIS TERRIBLE "TV!”

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I bought $900 Sony Bravia (Android based - KDL43W8000C) a year ago. Picture quality was acceptable and Android OS working well. Just one year down the road, lines started appearing on the screen, then the whole screen would turn black, or yellow or red and show no pictures. It appears this malfunction was timed to coincide with the end of warranty. I tried to Google online to see if I could get a solution, then I realized my mistake. All Sony forums are a flood with customers complaining about lines on the TV, and they either had to buy new sets or pay more than half the price of the TV to get it repaired. If you are considering buying Sony Bravia, Just check SONY BRAVIA reviews and save yourself the heartache. It's junk, simply don't buy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I'm using One Plus 6t mobile and trying to connect the screen mirroring. But I'm getting registration failed. I have checked with technical person. He has informed that latest software version was not updated for the same. I'm using Sony Bravia 2016 model W75D series. Request you to kindly update the same.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Their technical team is not able to resolve a single issue into their own product. We had purchased a tv from the Sony company and few days later found an issue in the company. We are using the same TV from last around 2 years and in this 2 years at least more than 1 year our tv was in the Sony technical department because are not able to fix the issue. So will suggest please don't buy any product from this company if you don't want to suffer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This is really a very bad experience with Sony Service, it almost 20 Days cross, but we not yet receive any feedback or resolution on my query, is Sony is able to provide solution or not??? As you know TV is very necessary in today's life and I don't have any media or substitute on that. If you care for customer you have to give substitute or option. Till 20 Days you don't have any resolution. It's really very bad sign, now I am losing faith on Sony. I am your user from last 4-5 years, my TV with Model no- KLV-32R402A, is not working properly, to resolve this Issue I visit your Service Center on 1st Dec '18, now today is 18th but my Issue is not yet resolved it almost 18 days pass.

Sony as a Big brand how can sit quiet and not listen the voice of customer, due to such poor service we are really losing faith on Sony. If you don't have spares available with you, you have to provide substitute for this within timeline as a professional service provider. As per our understanding Sony is very customer oriented company, but as per my experience Sony not care about his customer, how can they just sit on the Open job card without any action. We are really very much disappointed with such a poor service received from Sony. Request please treat this on priority and arrange to provide solution on top priority without further delay. Job No- **/ Serial no-**.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The use of six colors, rather than the typical three, combined with eight scan zones which provide twice to four times the effective scan rate of typical competitors, results in a superior video experience. My set is seven years old and as good as any 1080p set out there. This is where the value in a major electronics product becomes evident. My A/V system handles most of the interface functions. Sony allowed me to spend my money on what matters rather than a bunch of duplicated whistles and bells that are better handled by my A/V and surround sound system. The use of a Gorilla Glass viewing surface has proven to be very durable, easy to clean surface and the minimal bezel creates a great unified look to my entertainment center fixtures.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have this tv for 12 years and have never had a problem with it. It still has a great picture and its design still up with the times. It has enough inputs and outputs in it so it can still add whatever add on that I want to install - I can still do it. It still plays great and looks good, what else do you expect from a tv.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I purchased a brand new Sony XBR77A1E TV. The TV was defective upon arrival. As instructed Sony was called. The TV was replaced with an 18 month old refurbished model which has vertical banding. So I bought a new Sony TV at full price (which I never used as it was defective) and received a defective 18 month old refurbished TV in its place. Very deceptive company and warranty. BE AWARE if you buy a new TV you may get a refurbished TV. Recommend to avoid this company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

We purchased our 65" Sony Bravia almost three years ago. We use it every day and often for hours at a time. Its clarity, brilliance of colors, and sound system have been consistently excellent. I would buy it again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

10 months out of warranty my 65 inch Sony Bravia TV has broken. Apparently the whole screen needs replacing. At no fault of ours... Sony agreed to pay for the screen panel but not the labour. This is after my continued efforts back and forth via email. What a joke. For 3k it was definitely not worth it. Stay away from SONY.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Have a Sony TV Model 43X8000E (purchased directly from Sony shop Australia). Wanted to connect Bluetooth headphones. My Bose and a generic brand would not connect. Called Sony shop (technical support) where I purchased the Headphones and TV directly from and they advised I needed a GENUINE set of Sony BT Headphones to be compatible. So I ordered a set of MDR-XB650BT directly from Sony Shop Australia. They would also not connect.

Have contacted customer support over past 4 weeks. Can only speak to support in Philippines, with lots of promises and no resolution. After the 6th call, and only after 4 weeks, they just informed me they would not offer a refund on the headphones, but more than happy to sell me a TV that will be compatible at a reduced rate. Outrageous! I have been Sony loyal customer, for a long time, having used their phones, cameras, projectors, TVs, etc many many years. Guess what, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SONY PRODUCT.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Numerous emails & correspondence with customer support in Philippines provided no satisfaction re my 11 month old TVs. TV sent for repair and misplaced then found but damaged by SONY. Replacement provided by retailer but given me runaround with SONY. I require them to come to the party. Faults, liability and followup were promised but never eventuated. Now trying to communicate further up the chain @ SONY. BAD service and it seems these days bad product.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I purchased a SONY 65" OLED 4K HDR TV Sept 2018 - IT IS NOW NOV 2018 - dead pixel in tv - 2 months old! Sony tells me "TO LIVE WITH IT!" WHAT GOOD IS THEIR WARRANTY? Stay away from Sony! My advice - stay away from SONY TVs - their warranty means nothing!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought 32 inch Sony tv 32R422B model in September 2014. It worked properly only 4 years. It is not working since October 2018. Its cost is Rs 32000. It shows parallel horizontal lines on the screen. Sony TECHNICIAN asking Rs 18000 for new panel. Please don't purchase Sony brand. I feel very bad with this tv. I request to Sony don't sell cheap products to the middle class people. They buy your product with your good brand name but your product is too bad. I demand to Sony to repair my tv with reasonable price with Rs 2000 or Rs 3000. K you to view my complaint on Sony.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Bought 2 Sony TV at Best Buy. In less than 2 years not had issues. Customer support is not helpful. Called the 1-800 number. Got routed overseas. They take forever to screen you. One person ask me to confirm it was a Sony and would not help unless I gave him a model number. Not sure why I would be calling Sony if I had another TV. The manager in Salvador ** then gave me an email to follow up. This was taking a step back. Not sure why Best Buy recommends we buy this TV.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Bought this $800.00 TV at Best Buy in November 2016. In less than two years, it has sound but NO PICTURE. I assume the backlight is out so basically junk. I called Sony. They said it is out of warranty... tough luck. Won't stand behind their product.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

VERY Bad Experience With Excellent Brand. I bought SONY LED TV in Feb 2017 but its display having problem within one and half year. I suggest don't go for Sony TV. Rates are high and quality of products is very low. I wasted the money (₹35000) by purchasing the Sony tv.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We have a 65 inch Sony Bravia 4K TV. It was amazing the first year we had it (2016) so we ended up adding the Sony wireless surround sound system to it. After spending $400 for the system, one year later Sony does an update... the surround sound system no longer works. AT ALL. Then another year later and another update... our Hulu app stops working.

What next Sony? What’s your next worthless update going to do to my $1,200 TV?! Stop working altogether? You know, I wouldn’t be surprised. Your company is absolutely worthless and I’ll never buy from you ever again and I certainly hope nobody else does either. If this review stops one person from buying your brand I’ll be glad it did.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Hi all... I purchased a Sony led TV model number KLV40W562D from Trivandrum QRS retail limited on 03/09/2016. I do always felt happy on Sony products and on healthy recommendation I purchased the same... but soon after the warranty period of two years Sony led lost its AV Mode and when technically seek advice it been informed that the board is fault and need to be repaired. Sony is such an established firm which always entertain the needs of its customer and I was there to purchase another set this month. But due to this painful experience I wish to Go for better options and do moving forward to file a suit on consumer Court also... I still expect a better response from the Sony group which always preserve, conserve and practice its customer service.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

TV lasted three months after the one year warranty. Took it to the repair shop. Panel is junk. Sony used to be a good TV. Man not anymore on my book. I'm going to LG TV. Never had any problems with the 5 cheaper brands that I have.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Mother's Day 2018, I purchased a Bravia 48-inch TV for my husband. Within two days it was having issues lines in it, freezing up, apps not working. I get in touch with Sony, we go back and forth troubleshooting, trying to get it right. It didn't get right, so I had to wait for them to send me a replacement Tv and then send the broken one back. I get the replacement TV, within 2 weeks I'm having issues with it. Apps freezing up, not working right. I call Sony we troubleshoot, nothing's working. They send me a third TV, I send the second TV back. And now I'm having issues with the 3rd TV. They wanted me to spend money and buy a USB so I could download their update because the TV would not update. I told them, no, I should not have to purchase anything to get a TV I've already purchased, to work correctly. So they sent me a USB with the downloaded information. My husband connects it to the TV, does the update, and now it won't work at all.

You'd think Sony would make it right but no not one little bit. They will not help me, they want me to be in front of the TV again and still try to troubleshoot. I am done with that TV. It is the third one, it is obviously a lemon and they will not give me my money back or they will not make it right I'm done, I don't recommend ever purchasing anything from Sony again I've been a loyal customer for 30 years, they will not see another dime of my money. If I knew I had legal recourse, I'd take it. I hated even giving them 1 star.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I bought Sony TV LED in 2014. After installation TV did not turned on. Called customer service waited for one month to replace it. I asked for refund. They refused. Now after 2 years problem in TV. Called customer care for issue clear. They responded after 5 days, technician has come simply said panel has to replace which will cost around 16000, what the hell Sony company people are thinking. Produced waste products cheating customers. I am going to complain on this brand. I am requesting you kindly do not purchase Sony products.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My HD TV started powering off with no warning. Sony sent out a repair man with a new power board to be installed. I had the TV off the wall as requested. To my surprise the repair man looked around for a place to do the repair. Like a dining room table worth thousands. This is a 50 plus inch TV. Sony when did my home become your repair shop??? This is a insult to me as a consumer. You may have garbage for furniture. But my house is not full of crap furniture. You lost my business forever. XBox and Apple here I come.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Bought the television in January. It already stop working. Light blinks 4 times and turns off. No fix other than trashing the thing. Hundreds of other consumers having the same problem. Television should be recalled before it catches fire. Won’t stay on long enough for a factory reset. Sorest television ever.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I bought a Sony TV XBR55X930D in 2016 August. Barely two years, the screen has developed a solid horizontal line 3 inches away from the edge. I was told by the Sony authorized service center that the TV panel is defective and it needs a replacement out of my pocket. To top it all off, the panel can only be sourced from Japan or Mexico and the cost is almost the cost of a new TV. Sony product is no longer what it used to be and it should not demand the premium price. It is better to look at the other brands that offer the same or better technology with better pricing and probably better service and reliability.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I bought Sony Bravia 4k smart LED TV KD-55X7000F 55 inch and I was actually excited because I know this was a very good brand but I was disappointed after I bought this and pay in the counter and sales staff pull until outside in the building and reach home and then we test. I saw that this Sony have LED crack inside and some linings without fall down and just test. And when I bring that TV in electronic shop they did not change the TV even though I did not use even 1 time. I am very sure that this sales staff don't know how to carry a standards of proper handling the items. I really lost my money and they cannot do good solutions to the customers.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We purchased this TV in Nov 2016. Used aprox. 18 months. Finally figured out it was the adapter. Sony is horrible to deal with. Difficult to understand and they do not care about the consumer. I asked for a new adapter because I felt 18 months was ridiculous for it to break down. They let me spend hours thinking they might replace it for goodwill gesture. SONY WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU IF YOUR TV IS OVER WARRANTY. ALSO YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR RECEIPT OR they will do nothing. I will never buy another Sony. I have had great luck with Phillips and other brands.

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.

• Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.

• Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.

• Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.

• Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs