Sony TVs

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

So to start, a $6,000 (USD) TV Xbr-65x930c should not fail 4 times in a 1 year period. I bought a 65" 930c from a well known large retailer with the expectation (and sales associates assurance) it would last 5 years or 100,000 hours. The TV didn't make it 100 hours before it failed. Sony actually sent a tech and validated the latest failure and in the process of this validation the warranty expired. They had the gall to tell me they were not going to offer any assistance to repair or replace. Sony customer support and service is an absolute joke. They use deceptive sales techniques and with their in store sales reps, they state the anticipated longevity of their products which in IL is constitutes an implied warranty and should then extend their factory warranty to 4 years.

A class action suit should be filed to address and punish any company actively and WILLFULLY HARMING customers. Sony issues software updates and destroys customers property knowingly and willfully, knowing the updates are prone to DAMAGE the hardware components. Sony is nothing more than a rapist of the wallet engaged in flat out victimization. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Purchased a Sony 4G 2016 TV on November 20 2016 at Best Buy. Three days after setting up the TV it started having all sorts of problems, shutting off by itself, or blaster not working, running apps slow, sometimes it would have a locked screen. After calling Sony technical support 65 times in 3 months, getting the phone hung up on me 7 times the TV finally had a locked screen. Sony level 2 tech support finally had to send a service man to the house to replace the logic board. Sony took 10 days to get the part and another 3 day to schedule a home repair. After installing a new logic board service man had to load new software and forgot his computer? I agreed to let him use my computer on a memory stick 1.2 g.

We have purchased the Sony Bravia LED TV 43 Inch 800C TV just 1 Year 3 months ago and now it is having problem that it is not working and rebooting every time. After 2 days a Engineer visited and cannot resolve the problem and they are telling that the board is damaged. I don't know that Sony also provides this type of quality. It costs me INR 65,000 from reliance digital Benachity Durgapur. Please resolve my problem. Expected Good quality product from Sony as always. Thanks.

I buy Sony Bravia 32 inch full HD TV... It was face the problem about restarting... Sony company service center give me 3500 hrs. estimate for repairing... Then after 2 days they was gives 12500 hrs. estimate for repairing because they have no small parts available to change... and told me to change whole panel. They also told that "we dont repair small parts... only change the major parts." So that we have to bear large amount for small issue. Never buy this company product.

We purchased a Sony Bravia 70 inch TV by Sony KDL-70W850B in July 2014. It stopped turning on and the red signal light stayed on. We did what was suggested, unplugging, rebooting still our TV wouldn't turn on. I went online only to find out that I wasn't the only person who bought a Bravia TV from Sony with this problem. When we spoke to Sony, they told us that it's out of warranty and we were on our own. Then I went online and found out that Sony had lost a class action lawsuit on the Bravia TVs. So when we were talking to Sony, they already knew about this problem. We now have to pay several hundred dollars to have someone come to the house to repair the TV. This is a huge expense for anyone to have to pay for. This was an expensive TV that should have lasted years. We bought this TV on 7/7/14 from Ra-Lin in Syracuse, NY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

A year after purchase (65" 4K Ultra HD TV XBR65X900C) - the LED panel shows a very visible bright vertical line and a horizontal line. Factory reset did not work and Sony Tier 1 support says that TV is just out of warranty period and they cannot assist. I feel like I've been robbed of my $4000 investment on the SONY TV. The tv and the technology is great. But tons of problems with the panel completely irresponsive IR Touchpad and various other light adjusting color issues.

The unit was purchased 14 months ago. I did not purchase any extra warranty coverage from Best Buy having strong faith on Sony products! I called up customer support and they mentioned since the TV was out of warranty - I would have to take it in to an authorized support office near to my city. So I called the support team and they let me know upon inspection that the unit would need to be replaced! How crazy is that such a big company would not even stand by their product even though the warranty period just ended.

My Sony Bravia flat screen hasn't had any problems. Has 4 HDMI inputs. It's 46" due to my small condo, however, everyone comments it looks like 50-55" as it is attached to the wall. The HD is clear and sharp! I have had this TV over 7 years. There have been so many changes in today's TV's and my TV is holding its own. I'm very happy with it. Sony Bravia is great!

Got it on sale. Replaced large CRT. Tried several other, too much judder at 240HZ good picture. It's a kick up all the time but like the picture stability. No problems with this tv except maybe needs a speaker replacement in the future and that repair I was told about $100 to $150 no big deal. When volume up high it gets distorted sometimes like there is some kind of fissure in the speakers. I don't know if they are a cone type or totally digital. But for the most part the tv sounds fine.

I bought this big screen tv about 10 yrs ago and it's never given me any problems and the picture is very clear. At that time 50 inch screens were expensive but it certainly is worth every penny. The quality is very high in terms of picture quality and technical features.

The television has a great clear picture and easy to use and set up. It is narrow and light. The entire front of the television is the screen and fits next to side by side cabinets. Its as if the T.V. is part of the furniture. The remotes are narrow and can be concealed in a small box that fits on my side table. My only negative is that the remote doesn't operate the Comcast box. So I'm forced to use separate remotes. I wish it lit up like the Comcast remote. It's Very difficult to read or see the buttons that operate the remote.

In January 2016 I bought a Sony KDL 450 C TV because it had decent reviews but only after 3 months a white shadow appeared on the left side of the screen. I called Sony customer service and they asked me to send them a black/menu picture through email. Actually I sent them 3 pictures showing the white shadow. Sony technical department answer was that based on the pictures the TV works as it should. I called them letting them know that it is impossible. So I took the TV at the local Sony service partner where they said they need to change the TV because the display is faulty. Ok, after one week Sony service exchanged the TV to a factory new TV as they stated.

The TV was nothing but factory new. It was a far worse one that had 7 bad pixels and scratches all over. So I took it back next day. After another two weeks I received a decent TV but 7 months older and different series. That said Sony under warranty exchanges your TV to factory rebuilt one from used parts. Basically the factory where these TVs are repaired is a chop shop. The TV you get is somebody else's repaired TV and has nothing to do with...NEW. When I called Sony Customer Service they actually refused to help me even when the TV was at their repair center telling me that they can only help if I have the TV. So Sony means nothing today. Is just another dying brand with no real factory warranty!!!

We're on our second Sony Bravia TV. We moved the older 46" TV, purchased in 2010, to the bedroom when we bought the new Sony Bravia LCD 60" smart TV in 2014. It was not purchased at a big box store. We did purchase the extended warranty with both TVs but never had to use it. One of the main reasons we bought the Sony Bravia was the sound is very good without adding a sound bar. The color and sharpness is good, too. The other reason, Sony was more reasonably priced. We now want a 70-75" TV for the living room and will move the 60" TV to the bedroom when that time comes.

We have a smart TV that looks cool. We purchase the curved TV but I don't really see any need or advantage of the curve. It costs more money and doesn't do anything except look nice.

The Sony TV set we bought was priced and sized right. While it wasn't top of the line, it looks great and performs up to our expectations.

Love the TV but cannot get the screen size regulated. When I try to adjust the screen size it doesn't fit the screen. If it fits the screen you can't see the whole picture. If you get the picture to fit the screen there are black lines on the top and bottom.

My wife bought this Sony Bravia on QVC. It has been a great television and I love it. We have very good luck with this TV. If ever I have to buy another, it will be a sony product.

Sony's brand of TVs is new for me and I love it! They are easy to use and set up! The programming was a snap and I can't express how grateful I am to have found something that I could work with. Also, I did not have to stay on the phone talking to someone that did not know what I was talking about then get frustrated and have to call another person to come install what I was trying so hard to do. Moreover, it upgrades well and I haven't had any issues to speak of! I will continue with Sony products in the future.

I like Sony. They make good products. My TV has been great. It's lasted for years and it's still going. I own and use other things made by Sony too. I have always been satisfied. I really like how you send help to charities. That's really cool too!

The tv is Large screen, excellent, clear picture, no problems so far. My last 2 Sony tvs lasted over 10 years with no problems until one finally died and the other was replaced but still working fine. There is nothing specifically aesthetically special about them - my main requirement is performance.

Sony xbr-930c, after recent android update - NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS, as follows, antsc channel input service not responding, Leanback launcher not responding, program guide not working, and many other numerous INCOHERENT error messages - including shutdown, basically the ANDROID SYSTEM going HAYWIRE!!! Sony Refuses to help. ANYONE LOOKING TO START CLASS Action suit, as we will need enough people to afford lawyers.

I own a Sony Bravia Model No KLV32BX350 LCD TV purchased on April 2013. After 3 years 6 months of usage the picture quality drastically came down with dual pictures and green color. I approached one of the authorized service stations at Dhaka Sony Rangs (Banglamotor). Without inspecting the TV properly they advised the panel replacement of the TV which costs around Rs 16000 to close to 50% of the cost of TV. They are not even bothered to give me the reason for the damage whether it is because of any error from my side or it is a manufacturing/technical problem. Their attitude is so adamant like I don’t have any choice but to pay them the money or throw away your LCD. :-(

I felt like I did the biggest mistake in my life trusting well-known brand like Sony which have a lifespan of only 3 years 6 months. Please advise with this mind sir why should I invest more 16,000 in Sony or why shouldn't I add another 10,000 to get another TV (maybe a lesser branded...) Because I am not seeing any advantage in being with Sony anymore neither technical advantage nor better customer service. Shame on you guys... An unsatisfied customer.

I bought a SONY Bravia TV in September 2015. It is the worst TV I have ever owned. The "Smart" operating system comes up with some new problem every day until the Android updates totally destroy the entire TV. I called customer service and their answer was my TV is no longer under warranty. Yet it was rendered utterly useless by one of SONY's own Android updates. Once that warranty runs out I guess they figure they have the right to tell you it's your problem even though they broke the TV with an update that was installed after the warranty had run out.

Solution! Buy a ROKU put it in an HDMI input and have a much better TV than it ever was before. These TVs work much better with ROKU as far as I am concerned and none of the endless, mindless problems. If you have a SONY Playstation get rid of it and switch to the Microsoft X-Box. I can't believe I would recommend Microsoft for anything but they are way better than what SONY has become. I think they are milking their reputation for quality with absolute crap defective software across the board. Just a humble old man's opinion. How do you like those apples Rajib?

I bought a new SONY HD TV in 2015 which stopped working 8 months later. SONY replaced the TV with another TV which also broke down after less than a year as well. I noticed that the replacement TV they sent was not a new TV, it was a used TV. When I called SONY they would do nothing about this as they claim the used TV was only good for 90 days. People should be aware that SONY does not replace its TVs with new TVs when they break down during the warranty. You get a used TV with a short warranty. I will certainly never buy another SONY product. If I had known this was their warranty policy I would have bought a different brand.

I think Sony is only cashing in on its reputation. The delivery guy who just delivered my second replacement for XBR65X930D 4K in 9 months said Sony quality has gone down drastically in the past 2 years. The guy said they are replacing Sony televisions everyday since last year. I bought Sony XBR65X930D in April last year (2016). Within 3 months two horizontal white lines started appearing on the screen end to end. I called up the store. Within seconds they agreed to replace the TV as if they knew it was going to fail. The replacement TV got delivered in August.

Again on Jan 10th this year (2017) the panel failed displaying vertical colored lines all over the screen. I called up Sony they asked me to send photographs and immediately arranged to send a replacement TV within 15 days. As if Sony knows that these problems are going to occur. Also I was strongly told that I will not get any extension to my warranty period. So now I am stuck with the original 1 year warranty with only three months to go and I have my second replacement which I don't know when it will fail. Sony TV's panels are of worst quality. DON'T BUY SONY ANYMORE. If you do don't forget to get an extended warranty for at least additional 2 years.

I purchased a $5000 home 75 inch TV and sound bar theatre system installed on 12-22-2015 by Best Buy with a 4 year extended warranty. I called the installer Best Buy to see why the unit sound was crackling In 11-05-16. The BB staff came out and said that the speakers were blown in the sound bar. They stated they couldn't do the repairs for the sound bar at my home but did remove it for me to take it to the store myself to have it repaired. The repair company Best Buy Depot called me and said the unit was not the problem but could possibly be the HDMI cable that came with the sound bar or TV HDMI inlet. When I asked the BB at Geek office they said, "You would have to ask the Sony people for the cord."

The cord was under warranty when they were called out originally but the lack of the repair staff to resolve the issue in November on the first call by BB a Sony Rep they told me the $20 HDMI cable wasn't covered because the sound bar wasn't under warranty by Sony after the one year warranty even though the problem existed before expiration was reported to BB on a $5000 entertainment center.

It's sad that the electronic industry is screwing the customers in this country nowadays. My last Sony lasted and is still in use 17 years after purchase and we still like this one. A simple gesture to send a $20 piece of wire would of prevented this review. Especially if the warranty dept would of understood this was a issue way before it was out of warranty.

I was looking to upgrade my 46 inch Sony to a 60 inch. I decided to go with the 60EX645 around April 2013. Being a Sony, and all my other Sony TVs were rock solid, I did not purchase the service agreement for repairs. About 2015, I noticed a Horizontal line down the screen. I changed all my HDMI cables and also had Comcast replace their box. The line continued. This month, I called Sony support and was told there was nothing they can do. After reading all the reviews, I see that I am not alone in having a defective LCD panel. I think Sony should provide a nonchargeable repair or worst case help with repair cost. I am starting to rethink purchasing a Sony 65 in 4K due to faulty parts.

Sony 65" 4k Model XBR-65X900C - Two weeks before my 1 year warranty came up my tv started rebooting by itself in the middle of a movie. Since I bought the TV at Best Buy and purchased an extended warranty I went to the store. The store representative said I would have to call Geek Squad. Note, not once did they say to call Sony direct since I was still under the 1 year warranty. They have come out to my house 4 times. Every time they claim another reset should solve the issue. I decided to call Sony to ask them for help since one of their in store representatives assisted with purchasing this particular tv. "Top of the line they said".

Then contacted Sony to the following number; 1-866-766-9272, spoke with Frank. Told Frank my story, he proceeded to walk me through a software update. I explained to him I could not. The internal wireless card does not work. He then said he could not help me. Okay let's back up, he starts to help me and then says he can't. I ask him if he is a Tier 1 or Tier 2 help desk technician. He says he is a Tier 1 technician. I ask him to escalate my call to Tier 2, he says he can't. I ask him for and escalation phone number so I can plead my case, he says there's is no number and no one can help me. So now I have a $2499.99 (black Friday sale price) TV that I cannot watch a full program on. Both Sony and Geek Squad keep giving me the runaround.

Just called to ask how to play music from iPad as it did not work by just putting the iPad into the HDMI slots. Nightmare. One rep hung up on me. The next one just decided to email a very unspecific technical instruction that made no sense. It's not a TV that is user-friendly. No wonder they are not selling as many TVs as they used to. Samsung and LG have way surpassed them. Don't waste your money. Great TVs if and when they work.

SONY KDL32W600D 32" TV - I bought this TV at Best Buy in August 2016. TV worked fine until this morning. I had purchased an extended warranty at Best Buy so I called the Geek Squad for support. After 3 different transfers I was told that as the TV was still under warranty so I had to deal with Sony. The agent transferred me to Sony but to repairs not support. After some time on hold I spoke to a man from South America who had great difficulty communicating with me. After 30 minutes I was transferred to another more senior tech person who had me do all the same things as the other guy plus a few more without resolving the problem. I had asked at the beginning for a tech support house call but was denied. Finally the second guy said that it was clear that my TV was not going to work so as it was cheap I.e. under $500 they would replace it. The order would take 7-10 days. I could not go back to Best Buy to get another one. They had to ship it to me.

As it turns out I am going south for 2 months so I would not be here when it would arrive. I asked to delay the shipping until the end of March when I would be back. Alas this request was too complicated for Sony to handle. The only option was for me to call them in 2 months when I return to go through the story again and get them to refer to my file and then they would order the TV for me. I wasted 90 minutes today and I suspect will have to waste another considerable amount of time in March to get the TV replacement. Sony clearly does not value its customers time. I should have bought from a different company.

I purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-W600D in July 2017. It had dark semi-circular blemishes at the top of the screen (about ~ 10 sq inches), received a replacement (KDL-W650D). That TV randomly shut down of its own accord. Sent back and got a replacement. The replacement has dark semi-circular blemishes (about ~ 8 sq inches), so that is being sent back for a same model replacement. I.e. I have now had three malfunctioning "new" Sony TVs in the past 6 months, and am awaiting a fourth. This is in stark contrast to a Sony Bravia TV that has functioned beautifully for the past 13 years. Quite frankly, I feel Sony should refund me the original purchase price so that I can purchase a reliable brand.

UPDATED ON 01/24/2017: I have now had 4 replacement TVs, 1st one screen blemished, second one randomly turned off, 3rd had blemish on screen, 4th one was totally smashed up. After much time on hold and many phone calls, managed to get a refund on the purchase price however they would not cover the tax, therefore I am down $40, compounded by this endless replacements. Then I had to fight with them to get them to send a box to return the final replacement for a refund, which will take from 6-8 weeks. I am being punished for buying one of their CRAP TVs. I am never buying another Sony product and advise you to do same, otherwise all the best.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.
  • Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.
  • Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.
  • Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.
  • Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.
  • Best for Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Compare TV Brands