4.11/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Sony TVs Reviews

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I like a picture that is clear as water. Our Aquos Sharp is a 10 as far as the clearness goes, but the Sony is in close running. I like the look, lightness in weight, sleek design, and functionality. We have the set up with a Sony Theater sound system. At one point when we were watching Oz the Great and Powerful, in 3D, our little granddaughter ended up disappearing at the blink of an eye! I looked around and she had jumped behind the sofa because "the lion was going to get her." Clear video/great sound!

Original review: March 10, 2019

I purchased my 65" Sony Bravia in 2010. Use it every day and often for hours at a time. Its picture clarity and colors have been consistently excellent. I don't use the speakers as I go through my receiver for surround sound. I haven't updated the firmware in a few years. When I first bought the unit I also purchased the wireless USB to connect it to my wifi. In the beginning it worked great. As new wireless features (apps) were added. Unfortunately they weren't available to add to the TV so ultimately I started using other wireless streaming attachments. The first one was a Roku, and now Fire TV which works great. Because of the HDMI input to the TV I'm able to turn the TV on from Fire TV remote which simultaneously turns on the receiver (Pioneer brand). All and all a solid TV albeit that is 9 years old but still works great!!

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 9, 2019

Original review: March 5, 2019

There are 2 issues with this TV that would make the it better. 1. Trying to adjust screen size through the menu selection. It is not the most user friendly I have ever seen. It is confusing but can be done but it is not easy. 2. There is not enough HDMI inputs. There are only 2 which make it difficult to add the vast array of equipment that wants to connect to HDMI. So you have to change them or unplug what you want to use at the time. There should be a minimum of 4 on any TV sold today.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The use of six colors, rather than the typical three, combined with eight scan zones which provide twice to four times the effective scan rate of typical competitors, results in a superior video experience. My set is seven years old and as good as any 1080p set out there. This is where the value in a major electronics product becomes evident. My A/V system handles most of the interface functions. Sony allowed me to spend my money on what matters rather than a bunch of duplicated whistles and bells that are better handled by my A/V and surround sound system. The use of a Gorilla Glass viewing surface has proven to be very durable, easy to clean surface and the minimal bezel creates a great unified look to my entertainment center fixtures.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

Very dissatisfied with the service and durability of the SONY TV. Around 5 to 6 years back bought a 32-inch TV thinking that SONY is the best. Compromised on the features too, thinking that SONY offers best screen visibility and does not affect eyes. Now got the problem with the Motherboard. Handled so carefully all these years and also the TV was very less utilized. I mean out of 5 years I hardly used it for 3 years (full run). Most of the time it was taking rest.

Now when I take to the authorized service center they say, "The LIFE of TV is that much only sir." So if I repair motherboard they said they can guarantee only for 1 Month since there is only 10% of the panel life (Did not understand this though). They said the TV working for 6 years is a great thing. Till this moment I had a plan to buy a 55 Inch TV (Only SONY) again if I could not get the current one repaired. But now I feel I should not waste my money on SONY. The good old days were so better where the age of TV at home is more than my age. (A TV worked for 30 years and still working). Great thing.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I bought a Sony tv this summer. On its 93rd day, the picture went out. I worked with Comcast first, but it turned out to be the tv. I have been working with Sony for over 2 weeks, trying to resolve the problem. It has been 4 days since they determined they would replace it and gave me a number to call for that to happen. I have left multiple messages and nobody has called me back. At each step of the process from troubleshooting on, it takes days between steps, to hear back from anybody at Sony. I've spent countless hours on the phone, took a half day off work for technicians to come out and work on the tv to fix it. They couldn't. Now I'm still waiting for a call back about a any particulars about how the replacement process will play out.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

The XBR-55930D power board went out. They repaired! Short time after the set got blurry and words on screen double, also a small line across the bottom. When they heard this, said no repair possible. Set was $1500. It is less than 3 years old. Boxed up waiting for a suit against Sony.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I bought Sony tv May 2018 and in June 2019 I face one issue of restarting tv automatically. I talk with customer care and he asked me to just reset the tv and it works fine 2 months but now in Oct 2019 it restarting again and again many times in a day even some time do not start. I called engineer and he said that its panel is damaged just in one year of time. That was very shocking experience. Then because panel was 2 year guarantee so they changed it but it is shocking that product of Sony got damaged just in one year. Even Chinese product do not damaged in one year, so they are producing very cheap product now as per my experience. Please do not buy sony products.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I purchased a 60" Sony Bravia two years ago for what I thought was a great deal at Best Buy. Recently the TV began turning off and on every few minutes then it would not power on unless I unplugged the TV. Then the same process would repeat. Called Sony support who said it was out of warranty and I should bring it to the service center. The service center called today to inform me it is the main panel and the repair cost more than the TV. If you want a 2 year disposable TV, buy a Sony. This is unacceptable. I will provide an updated review if they give a favorable resolution. By the way, my 3 Samsungs, my Visio, and my Panasonic are working just fine. Check them out instead!

Sony TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.

• Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.

• Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.

• Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.

• Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.

• Best for: Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs