Sony TVs

Compare TV Brands

Research top TV Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I purchased a TV for the in-laws. The first day after setting it up I noticed that it was pixelated. I called Sony. They check my Serial number and told me it was in warranty, I sent the pictures and then sent the invoice when they asked for it. They immediately tried to say my serial number was liquidated which wasn't true. Then they tried to say the TV was purchased AS-IS.

One of their reps called the auction place and explained some are sold as-is (meaning broken or pieces are missing and preview is recommended because if you buy something AS-IS there are no refunds) and some are sold as new or refurbished with a 24 hour guarantee. Mine was purchased as brand new with a 24 hour guarantee.

The Sony rep switched the auction reps words around and said you have no warranty. So I sent screenshots of a posting of an AS-IS product and the posting of my TV. They have since ignored me and will not honor their warranty. The TV's manufacture date is only 9 months old. I will be pursuing to get a new TV either by a lawsuit or whatever my other options are.

We bought 2 Sony Smart TVs 2 and half years ago from John Lewis as a trusted brand from a trusted store. Costing us around £1000.00. Now we find we cannot watch BBC iPlayer and our Sony TVs offer a limited BBC Iplayer service - we have another much cheaper LG which provides BBC I-player without any problems whatsoever. We feel very let down by Sony and would not recommend Sony TVs based on our experience. Can the BBC Iplayer issue be resolved? It is very frustrating that our relatively new TVs have a very limited streaming service.

I purchased a Sony Smart TV from Currys. 6 weeks before my warranty run out, I could access the apps and kept losing volume. Called Sony customer service and painfully run through the troubleshooting over the phone. After 45 mins, advised that I would have to have an engineer visit. I was told the engineer will contact within 4 hours however didn't hear from anyone. Tried to call back however the office hours are Monday to Friday 9 till 6 pm. As it was Friday at 6:30 I emailed customer services explaining and asking for them to change my contact number to my mobile because on Monday I would be at work not at home.

Monday come and go and no call, Tuesday I am told they have no record of my call or that an engineer visit has been scheduled. The advisor finally put me on to a supervisor who continued to say that an engineer visit wouldn't be necessary and that I hadn't completed the troubleshooting, to cut a very long story and having to raise a complaint. An engineer visit was scheduled however because the outsourced company Smart Solutions also only work Monday to Friday, had to book a day's holiday to be there for the engineer. 2 guys turn up from Smart Solutions to basically take the TV unit away, at no point was I told the TV wouldn't be repair on site.

I tried to call Sony customer service however I couldn't get through before the engineer left. Then had to start the whole process again as repair had to be done offsite and Sony would not replace the faulty unit. Anyway after using 3 days holiday and being without a tv for 3 weeks. Sony think £50 compensation is fair... I was told by Currys that LG are the best TVs and best company to deal with when it comes to repairs or replacements. I honestly will never buy anything else from Sony again.

I purchased a 75" TV in April 2015. The TV has worked great for over two years. I moved from Colorado to Utah and in the process had my surround sound stolen. I setup my TV over a month later in Colorado and the sound didn't work. I contacted Sony support and we determined that only some of my buttons worked on my remote. After talking with an agent that wasn't very good and asked the same questions multiple times it was decided to do a factory reset. After the factory reset it goes through steps where you resync the remote to the TV. This step didn't work so now my TV is stuck on a screen that I can't get past. The rep said there was nothing they could do and contact a Sony repair shop. VERY DISSATISFIED.

It seems Sony is selling faulty TVs and not informing their customers. On the 5th April I purchased a brand new 2017 XBR55X900E Sony TV from amazon.com. From the minute I received the TV it has given me nothing but problems. It would suddenly reboot itself, the picture would get blurry for a few seconds during a movie, etc. These things only happened a few times so I was willing to live with this (although I had never experienced such issues with other non Sony TV's). Then one Sunday afternoon with guests over watching a basketball game the Tv turned off and would not come back on after trying everything and a lot of googling (Sony Tech support is not open on Sunday) we discovered this is a common problem with Sony TV's and you have to do a Factory Reset.

After the second Factory Reset it finally started working again. A few weeks later Sony does a Software update and Suddenly the TVs WiFi connection does not work. Luckily this happened on a weekday and I was able to contact Sony customer support who walked me through the whole process of fixing this. A little over a week ago the TV suddenly stops working again. It will not come on and even a Factory Reset does not fix it. After contacting Sony they tell me the LED screen has failed and it needs to be replaced. They say it will take 5 days total to fix the problem. They will order the part and receive it in 2 to 3 days and then the repair person will contact me and schedule a repair within 2 days. At this point I am angry now. This tv is not even 3 months old and I have had a slew of problems with it.

It is now over week since I called customer support and I have still not heard anything from Sony. Sony Customer Support keeps shifting the blame to the Repair company saying they are an independent company and have nothing to do with Sony. This Tv is not even 3 months old and is still very much under warranty. What is even more disturbing is after doing some research I found out that Sony has had issues with their LEDs failing for a long time however new buyers are unaware that this is still a big problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Bought a XBR 65X900E Sony TV on March 6, 2017. The first delivery would not power up properly and we returned it for a replacement on 4/14/17. Executed a firmware update on July 22, 2017 and the TV crashed with 4 red lights. The Sony customer service was terrible, they had no idea what they were talking about, rerouted me to phone numbers that were incorrect and when I finally got a customer service person who could help, they refused to replace the TV that their firmware damaged.

I was escalated to their customer relations dept, which is a joke. There is no one else to speak to and after 2 bad TVs within 3 months, they referred to the warranty and would not budge. So now we get a service call, they have to open up the TV and replace a board letting in dust, placing it on its face, and who knows what else. And I must reiterate that it was damaged by THEIR firmware update. Their quality control is clearly lacking. They apparently don't test their updates and I will never purchase another Sony product, ever.

I purchased a Sony Bravia from Best Buy in September of 2015 and took advantage of the free interest. A few months in, a black line appears across the screen. Best Buy took the tv back and gave us another. 6 months or so later that tv starts to reset itself to Android. I google the problem and did as instructed by Sony, reset to factory settings. That lasted a few days and I would reboot again. The tv started doing it more often so I contacted Sony online and was told to do a forced factory reboot. That didn't last 24 hours. Contacted them again and was told it needed service. Of course the warranty is out as I make my last payment this month and the last Sony product I will purchase. A Japanese company, assembled in Mexico and dumped in the U.S.

I always thought that Sony's were the top of the heap. So when I went to Best Buy in June 2017, I headed almost straight for the Bravia's. They are more expensive than Samsung and LG, but they are Sony's, right? I bought the 45", 800 series - the good one... right? Well, it's nothing better than marginal. If you have any Apple devices or you are familiar with IOS, you are out of luck. Netflix, usually works, but not always. As it sit here, 6' from my 6 week old Bravia, I'm listening to Netflix on my iPad because I can't get it on my TV. But, if you like slow, unresponsive menus, filled with choices for new things you can but you're in luck. Here's my best input... Closely evaluate each possible TV. See the remote in action (they can't find them at Best Buy), try to download an app. And, save your money; Sony may have been the best... but no longer.

Sony 48 inch Bravia smart TV: I purchased this TV on August 17 2014 from the Sony store, and one week later, Sony closed all Sony stores in Canada. I tried to connect to Netflix with no success, many times. For three years I have been calling Sony for help, the last time on July 12, yesterday. They found a record of the warranty many times I called, but yesterday all of a sudden they have no record of my warranty. Very strange how that could happen. I called back to a different service agent, with the same result. I will never purchase a Sony product again and tell all about the service I received. By the way this product was made in MEXICO.

We have a large 75 inch Sony Bravia and are reasonably happy with it. Good picture but needs rebooting every 4 days or so. So we thought we could not go wrong getting a 2nd one for our reception room. In 7 months we used it only twice, on the third time it would not switch on. We reported to Sony who passed the problem to their service subcontractors.

Now, almost 3 weeks later, about 5 to 6 phone calls, one 5 hour period of waiting for a tech who did not show up at the allotted time and the TV is still broke. We are so embarrassed because we were very positive to our friends and family about the TV and one of them, on our recommendation, purchased a Sony Bravia. If anything goes wrong with that TV we will be even more embarrassed if they experience the same problems. It is their only TV and if they have to wait three weeks especially with the weekend footy... This will be our last Sony TV for a while and we will have to tell all those people who we told about our TV about our problems with Sony service!

I have had this Sony 46" TV for many years and really pleased with the performance so far. Almost afraid to make this statement because I may have jinxed my current pleasure with the product. But all in all this brand gets my full recommendation for anyone wanting a good quality and reliable TV.

Sony products last for years on end and are durable and dependable to the end of its life expectancy. I have owned Sony products since the walkman radio days. I have found that they are able to handle the usage that I can give a product from time to time. I have had 3 TVs, 1 Sony Walkman, 1 radio CD player, and 2 radio boomboxes, 1 3-Disc CD Compact Stereo System, 1 Sony Laptop, 1 Sony Streaming System. They are all still here and working with the exception of 1 TV which last for quite a long time and then one day just went black while I was watching it. I gave a second TV away. I love my Sony products. When it comes to electronics I only purchase Sony products.

It was very reasonably priced as it did not have its original box. It's 10+ years old and never had a repair - is used almost daily for about 5 hours.

If you're looking for a great TV this choice was worth the money. I will be buying another large flat screen in the future. I will do my research then, read other posted reviews and make another decision based on that research. Sony has always been a key player. I own 2 Sony XBR 4k TVs now. The 78" and a smaller one for my bedroom. I reviewed many large 4k TVs. It appeared that for the money, the 2014 Sony Bravia 78" 79x900b XBR was the best choice. No problems, no regrets and I've had it for about two years now. I bought the extended warranty for peace of mind.

Have never had any problems with our television and it's nine years old. Picture quality and sound are still fantastic! I always buy Sony because they are so reliable.

The set was expensive, but we were changing from analogue to digital and wanted a good set that would not let us down after the warranty expired. We're happy with it and so far so good.

The set I purchased, was a 40 inch, as it had to fit in a spot. The price was about $300.00 and worth every bit. Excellent picture and good sound. Very light and easy to move. I have had the set for 4 year and no problems.

Sony has lived up to my expectations for the most part over the years. I like the way it looks as well as performance. Performance of my Sony compared to my cheaper tv in another room is far better as well as picture. The price is usually high and as always people would like to pay less. As long as they continue to go above and beyond on their products Sony will be my first choice.

Sony TV is innovative, reliable and highest quality for price point across all product lines. I replaced (didn't have to) a Sony Trinitron purchased in 1983 and am equally satisfied with the new products.

Sony is a good tv but misleading with the "smart" label. They need to be more clear as to what Sony's version of "smart tv" is. I wish I would have known that at the time, nor did the packaging (box) say that as well. But I guess I didn’t do my homework when I thought a "smart tv" had access to the internet but instead it has access to a few select sites already programmed into their menu. I also found out my tv is unable to load the plugin necessary for this to happen and I have to use a laptop or other means to stream in my choice of content.

We've had this 52" Sony since about 2004 without a problem of any kind. Way back when we bought it they were quite expensive (over $4000) but the value has been super - no service calls at all. Picture is clear and the sound is good. New TV's are clearly much better and would like to be able to afford one, but there is no way I can rationalise it while this one works so well.

Sony have the best quality standard in the industry. I used Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic and Samsung TVs. So far I really like the sony. Quality, design, craftsmanship, and the Japanese reliability make me a sony fan.

Sony has had the best HD picture forever in my opinion. Solid performer for almost 17 years, no repairs or problems. At the time I bought the floor model from Circuit City when it was folding at the best possible price of $1800. I have seen more detail recently from Vizio and Samsung, but not enough to upgrade.

The picture and sound on my 45 inch Sony TV is still great. It's holding up even though it's been on an average of 23 hrs a day for the past 6 yrs. I'm very satisfied with my television.

Sony TV is very slow although new. When it loses internet connection takes ages to reconnect and instructions not clear on how to do this. Also, cannot change channels until it's been on for a few minutes.

Sony is a brand name that everyone has heard of. Although I have heard of some Sony products that were not of good quality, I can only say that I am not only happy that Sony was my first choice for purchasing but I also feel smart. While I hear others complain, I can safely return to my Sony and smile. It has never caused me a problem and I've had it for ten years. Another reason for me to smile. The picture is as sharp and clear as the day I bought it. It has a 48 inch screen which is more than big enough for me. I love the look of it and how it easily fits into mine and probably anyone else's decor.

Turning it on and off is so simple, one remote click and you're on and the picture was programmed to the wide "full" screen, which is even better, so when you put the TV on it automatically opens to the wide "full" without trying to adjust anything. The color is perfect, as is the volume. If I had purchased a larger screen, the picture would have been programmed to the wide "zoom" mode. However, this is large enough for me, in this living room. I have given thought about purchasing a larger one, probably 60 inches for the downstairs den when the room is completed. When I buy a larger set for my downstairs den it will be a Sony.

It hooked up to cable with ease and if I wanted to I could use it for the internet by simply getting another box and purchase movies that would show on a larger screen. The DVDs are extremely easy to use by a simple "input" change. I am not mechanically savvy so to have a TV that is people friendly is a 'boon' to me. Everyone who has been in my home and has watched the TV all comment, "this has a beautiful picture." In closing, when choosing the TV I took my time and compared picture quality. Although I paid almost double the price, at the time and costs are way down now, I don't give it a thought. I have seen other Sony's TVs and they were exactly like mine. So, Sony is my brand.

Sony in my opinion, offers a continuing selection of state of the art electronics to choose from. Their price points are affordable and competitive. Mostly, they make a great series of products which deliver tremendous features and at least for me, they have always provided me with a high degree of use and pleasure. Reliability and dependability is not always found in electronics. But with Sony, in my opinion, you simply don't need to invest in an extended warranty policy - primarily because their products are all outstanding! I have been a loyal Sony electronics purchaser for many decades including both televisions as well as CD/DVD players and audio speakers. Their products are for me the best value, quality and serve my needs extremely well. I have had zero problems in terms of having to either repair them or replace them prematurely.

The screen has a good appearance. However, sometimes writing on screen blocks other important issues (news) and also is unclear (blue/White on blue) possibly not the manufacturer's fault. Black lettering would be more appropriate. But sound, colours and settings make this a most enjoyable experience after a busy day.

This TV has great color and sound. It's 6 yrs old and the color, the screen and the sound has not changed. I'm glad I purchased this TV. It's great.

My Sony is a good quality television, has a very good picture with very good overall options and pre-loaded apps. It is a high-quality smart TV.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sony, one of the world's most-recognized consumer electronics brands, produces LED LCD TVs and is now branching out into the UHD TV market.

• Dynamic range contrast: With Sony's 4K processor, the picture quality is enhanced and extended. Enjoy incredible clarity and lifelike colors, along with stunning contrast.
  • Android TV: Easily connect your Android smartphone to your Smart TV and conduct voice searches, use Chromecast from your phone to your TV and more.
  • Hi-res audio: Billed as the "world's first High-Resolution Audio TV," Sony's TV is designed to let the listener and viewer experience music the way it sounded live at a concert.
  • Wedge shape: Blending aesthetics with practicality, the wedge base of the BRAVIA series not only saves space but also enhances the speaker's capacity, increasing audio quality.
  • Component match: Sony has designed a full range of sound bars, speakers and more to work with their TVs to deliver a complete home-theater experience.
  • Best for Home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Compare TV Brands