2.10/5
Based on 42 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

42 Sceptre TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

I had trouble deciding whether to give it 1 star or two. Very cheap 50" 4K TV from Walmart made by Sceptre. Here's the dilemma. The original set lasted just over three months which means Walmart washes their hands off the whole deal. However, the Sceptre service people were courteous but have only one service center in City of Industry, California. So I had them send a box and packing to me, got an RMA, packed the box as required, brought it to FEDEX and sent via pre-paid shipping to CA.

Within a few days they notified me that the set was damaged in transit and they were sending a brand new set which I received in Everett, MA in 7 days. I set up the set and has a great picture. It lasted one day and I had to repeat the process with the RMA, I had the original box and packing, and sent via FEDEX again. Once again, the service department let me know the TV was damaged by FEDEX and they were putting in a claim to FEDEX and sending me a new TV. I expect the set in about 4 days. It is already in transit. So I give them 2 stars for three months of an excellent picture and prompt, although clumsy, service. It remains to be seen whether the third failure will be paid for by FEDEX when the new set is returned. MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!

Original review: May 15, 2018

My Sceptre TV stopped working 9 months after I got it. I contacted Sceptre since the tv was still under the manufacturer's one-year warranty and have had literally the worst customer experience since. This is my second time returning the tv. I was without a television from February 19 - March 22 the first time I returned it. Sceptre has now had my tv for 8 business days. I was reassured that if the tv didn't work after they returned it the first time they would swap it out right away. No such luck. Detailed timeline below. April 30, 2017: Purchased from Amazon. January 2018: Began experiencing issues. Issues became more frequent and for longer duration. Started return process by call Sceptre and sending pictures and other information via email.

Monday, February 19: Shipped back to Sceptre. Thursday, February 22: Received by Sceptre. Wednesday, February 28: Heard nothing after delivery so sent a follow up email. Exchanged emails where Sceptre stated that they were testing the tv. I replied please do not return without fixing. Saturday, March 3: Followed up with an email asking for an update. Monday, March 5: Received email that TV was being shipped back. Called to confirm the tv had been fixed. Was told they could not duplicate the issues, which I had sent several photos of on many different occasions, so they are sending back the tv without fixing it. Exchanged emails after phone call inquiring why they would not replace the part they knew would cause the problem I photographed without an answer.

Thursday, March 8: Received email that tv shipped. Friday, March 9: Emailed to confirm that was the same tv I was told processed for shipping on Monday. Wednesday, March 14: Received same tv but it is now missing a piece to the base. Thursday, March 15: Spoke with manager named Son. Was told to test the tv laying flat on the ground and that if it worked there was something in my home that was making the tv not work. A tv that does not work standing up is of no use to me. Thursday, March 22: Received base.

Wednesday, April 25: Sent email with photos of tv having same issue again. Was provided shipping label to return. Thursday, May 3: TV arrived at Sceptre. Sunday, May 14: Emailed Sceptre for an update. Monday, May 15: Was told that the tv was delivered and was provided the tracking number for the broken tv they shipped me back in March. Replied to email including tracking details for all shipments so far.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased a 55" Sceptre LED television on May 5th, 2016. I ordered it offline so by the time I received it and had it up and running, this television was being used in my home for exactly 2 years literally to date. My home is not a big television home, it gets turned on probably only 2 maybe 3 times a week. So the extent this television was used over a 2 year period was minimal, at best. Less than a year in (December after purchase) the remote went. But it wasn't simple as far as finding what was wrong. It was the picture of whatever you were watching would freeze up for a few seconds and it would just do it. Over and over.

I attempted to contact Sceptre then, of course not something they could help me with and it wasn't falling under their warranty and I was continuously told to contact my cable company. I was sitting on the floor with the remote next me and saw the freeze button on there and instantly took the batteries out of the remote, stuck it in the closet and it was fine. (But my cable company was supposed to fix this issue?) Again, because we don't watch tv often not having the remote to the actual tv wasn't really detrimental to us, we just manually would turn the tv on/off and switch up the hdmi or cable buttons from the side. Today, my daughter comments the television isn't turning on. I tried different outlets and leaving it unplugged for a bit, nothing. Television is completely dead.

I call Sceptre, tech support tells me to take it to a local shop and have them replace the power board. Mind you, I was barely finished speaking about my issue before he told me what to do, which just reinforces the horrible television. I asked to be transferred to customer service, she tells me at my expense I can ship the tv to them to have it fixed but I pay for shipping to & from as well as the repairs… She said it was outside the 1 year manufacture warranty. I understand that, but 2 years and the tv is fried? It’s been moved once, from one side of the room to the other, turned on and off less than 4 x's a week and you are producing such a poor quality product that you can't even offer any type of deal with the repairs?

Plus the tech support gentleman was just short and had a bit of an attitude. After the fact I saw the reviews people were leaving, I should have checked that first. There is no reason for a tv like this to only have a 2 year shelf life. Don't waste your money, from a cost effective perspective, I should have spent an extra $200-$300 on the television and I'd be in a position now that I still had a working tv and not have to worry about putting that kind of money out again so soon.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Received for BD 2 yrs ago from my son. Was watching ION and bam the screen went black. 32" TV came with only 1 yr warranty so that should tell you something. It is a piece of cheap parts, must have got them from China. The company should close its doors.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I got this TV a few years ago new. Used it about 2 months on cable and then moved it downstairs to use on an antenna. This set is the very worst TV I have ever owned for keeping the OTA channels. I have complained to the company a dozen times or more and all they tell me is this is the design. Come on now. You program a TV for channels and when you turn it off or a station happens to go off the air for any reason the TV should not lose the stations preset into it. This is just not normal. The company says it is. So the only way around this is to install a digital receiver. And then set the TV to channel 3. It seems to keep that channel ok. Today I reset the channels 4 times because it just would not keep the station. The station was having issues and my TV was dropping the channel from the saved channels I programmed into it. If you have a choice never ever get one of these poor excuses of a TV. They are junk and the company will not help you out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sceptre TV?

Original review: March 23, 2018

Purchased a 32" Sceptre TV, unboxed, hooked everything up properly. No picture/sound right out of the box. After further review online I find hundreds of people with the same problem. Why would Wal-Mart still sell this faulty brand? And shame on Sceptre for using inferior electronics to make a few extra bucks. My advice would be steer clear of this brand of television or anything else they make in fact!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I own several TVs. Samsung, TCL, Vizio, ProScan, and Sceptre. Sure Sceptre are low end, but I've owned 3 of them and have had no problems at all. It will never match my Samsung, but it's a lot less too. And if something does go wrong you can return it to Walmart. They do take returns on this TV, so don't believe what others may say.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Greatest investment I have ever made. Picture it, 2:30 A.M. a warm spring night, I was enjoying a glass of fine wine and watching Masterpiece theater. There was a nice breeze from the screen door, when all of a sudden seven gang banger burst in to the room. I sprang from my recliner and ninja rolled behind my Sceptre 55" UHD TV. As the bullets flow, I was able to retrieve my AK-47, which I keep for just such an occasion. When I sprang forth with cat like reflexes to quickly dispatch the intruders I noticed the bullets were actually ricocheting off my fine Sceptre 55" UHD TV.

But truly TV die in record time. We only used it for playing video games and since it was the biggest TV we had never left it on for long periods of time. When I brought It back to Wal-Mart the women was very helpful, and let me know they have had a lot of problems the whole Sceptre line of TV's. Thing's a piece of crap. Run run run.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I bought my 9 year old son a Sceptre 50-in LED television for Christmas from Santa Claus. When my son came back from his father's and opened his gifts and we plugged his television in there's no picture or sound! So we put the tv back in the box as was when bought. Went to the Wal-Mart we purchased it through and was told we had to contact the brand of the television. I then had to go out and spend 400$ more dollars on a television that was the same price but a 60 inch and smart which mine wasn't. All I'm asking is for another television with the same value as the broken one sold to me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I bought the Sceptre 55" UHD TV from Walmart online on sale. I ignored a few bad reviews I found and bought the extended 3 yr. warranty just in case. After hooking up the tv in the kids room they played on Xbox One for 2.5 hours. It's not a 4k gaming console. After 2.5 hours the tv kicked over to 4k and went black. I tried unplugging it. I tried doing a factory reset. Still nothing. It goes black after 1 minute on the home screen. I'm returning it tomorrow. My fingers were crossed to begin with since it was only $300.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I bought this TV from Walmart for the guest room. The TV might have 20 hours on it. The other day my husband went to watch Columbo... because the girls and I had had enough of "just one more thing?" and all of a sudden the TV went black. So disappointed. I read that this has happened to so many others. Will never buy from Walmart again!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Had my TV for only two years and spent 400.00 for it. It was working fine. I get up to use the restroom and come back and the TV was black. Just that quick. Good TV to no TV in a matter of seconds. And of course the warranty has expired.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

After a year of watching TV once a week maybe a couple of hours total. My tv went black. Warranty was over and the screen went black and after spending $400, I'm with a black screen TV that does me no good! I'm so disgusted after going from a Samsung that had a black screen to a Spectre with a black screen. I give up. That's 1500 in under 4 years and I have no good tv. My boyfriend is buying me a Vizio. I recommend everyone not to buy either brands from Any place! My mom has a 10 year old Vizio I bought for her and it's still working!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I bought the 19" Sceptre TV and received it on October 4, 2017 and it broke 21 days later! I've sent in the warranty and information on it. Got an email back saying they would send me what I need to return for repair w/in 48 hours. Tomorrow will be one week and not a word. I've emailed twice and called twice nothing! Bad product and even worse customer service!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I bought my son the Sceptre U550CVU 55" 4K Ultra HD TV from Walmart, August 2016. I gave it to him for Christmas. He's in the Army so it's barely used. He turned it on to watch the football game, and the screen went black. It still has sound. I called Sceptre customer service. The rep. said it's too bad, the warranty is only for a year and told me I should just go buy a new one! I have an LG and a Vizio TV. Both are over 10 years old and work fine. They were both more expensive, but do the math. A Sceptre is made to last 1 year or less. If you buy one every year at $379. Where's the value? It's a good price, great picture, (lousy sound, you have to purchase a sound bar} Beware!

Original review: July 10, 2017

I bought this TV (Sceptre 55" 4K) 3 months ago for $350 and a 4-year warranty. The picture is just as clear in HD as my LG TV was. And I paid $2k for it 3 years ago. It just stopped working all of a sudden. This TV is great for the price. You can't beat it. I haven't seen 4K on it yet since nothing is broadcast in 4K. I use Roku in 4K but that's a streaming service so it's not "real" 4K like you see in Best Buy or HHGregg on their TV's. Sometimes the source button changes volume, and the volume up makes it go down etc. but all in all great TV.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I currently have 4 TVs of various screen sizes and the Sceptre provides the best picture and sound package of all of them. I have contacted their C/S and have rewarded by instant return calls and solutions without problems. This item, sold at Walmart stores for hundreds under regular price has been a positive buy for our household. It provides a decent picture and adds to a room rather than dominates it. Everyone should have a Sceptre TV.

Original review: June 2, 2017

Sceptre is a very affordable television and it fits my budget. The picture quality is good and I had no trouble setting up my dvr. The menu is very easy to navigate as well.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Earlier today, I contacted the re-seller, Wal-Mart, and filed a formal complaint. It is readily apparent that Spectre sells sub-standard products - for many years. For Wal-Mart which prides itself with providing "good" value product to consumers, this is an easy Class Action Lawsuit waiting to happen (if not already). After reading so many complaints, across the web, I honestly don't understand how Wal-Mart continues to sell Spectre products to its customers. I feel betrayed by Wal-Mart and will definitely think twice before buying items from Wal-Mart, going forward.

Original review: March 30, 2017

Purchased a flat screen tv 55 in Sceptre on 06/23/16. Tv has great picture and sound. Was very pleased. Then 9 months later we was watching the news and a blue line appeared in middle of screen. It was on all channels and with tv unhooked from our Cable it still has a blue line. No scratches, no dents, no damage. Purchased it off Walmart.com. Bought the 3 yr warranty. Called Sceptre due to the warranty procedures and they asked me to send in pictures so we did. They will not cover it because they say it has physical damage! How do you get physical damage when tv has no damage or dents is like brand new. It has a line in middle of screen while tv is on. Very dissatisfied with this company and the warranty. Don't buy one!!

Original review: March 18, 2017

The first one came with a cracked screen, but they sent a replacement, but I had to pay UPS $10 to pick it up. The second one is fine for watching TV and inputs, but the remote system is broken. Not the remote control, but whatever is in the TV that receives the remote signal does not work so I will never buy this brand again.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I was watching TV on my 32" Sceptre TV, when all of a sudden it faded to a black screen. I'm like wth is going on. My daughter bought it for me in 2015 for a Christmas present. I have tried everything that I saw a lot of others trying to get their Sceptre Tv working, Nothing worked. Wrote to Sceptre and was sent a message back, "I'm sorry it's over. 1 yrs old our warranty is only for 1 yr", (which I told them I got it in 2015) "but WE will be happy to have one of our techs fix it". Well of course they will FOR A NICE HEFTY PRICE!

Kind of STUPID for anyone to pay to get it fixed when it's SUCH A CHEAP TV!! I have Never had a tv die in only 2yrs. Heck I just got rid of 2, 25yr old TVs I should have kept!! Well I WILL NOT EVER BUY SCEPTRE TVs AGAIN!! I still have 2 that I'm waiting to die out on me soon!! Guess you want something that's gonna work, buy a NAME BRAND and made in the USA!!! Time to put on FaceBook and write the BBB. One Very Upset Lady Here!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

U55 4K HD - I purchased form Walmart. First one tuner did not work, returned. 2nd one power supply would not fire up tv correctly. 3rd tv had 2 inch spot dead pixel and 1.375 inch spot of dead pixels. 4th TV YES I RETURNED 3 times. The 4th TV had intermittent power supply problems, background inverted? Red SCEPTRE emblem was almost turquoise. 2.5 months months later will not turn on at all!! Returned for refund... It had great picture. 3 of the four tuned in channels great. I have a 42 inch Sceptre that is 12+ years old. Been a great TV and It is back up at this time... Too bad Sceptre has went to DO DO. I live in California. Was proud to get TV from California... Shame on you Sceptre... I now have tell my friends what a bad mistake I made :(

Original review: July 5, 2016

You get what you pay for! TV bought almost two years ago and is no longer working. Stopped working after a year, it was fixed by their comp under warranty and again no picture. It took forever for them to reply to our request the first time. Buy a quality brand.

Original review: June 18, 2016

I purchased a Sceptre tv on 6/23/2016. I went through all the motions with customer service to return my tv. To this date I have had no satisfaction whatsoever. I have been dealing with this for a little over 2 months, you would think that at this point something would have been done. I paid 248.00 dollars for this 4k tv and it is still not fixed. Dealing with Sceptre is a joke. I just sent an email to their corporate office, Let's see if I will get any satisfaction this time... My recommendation is not to purchase a product from Sceptre electronics. You will not be a happy customer.

Original review: May 29, 2016

Bought this TV Nov 2012 for Christmas. Worked about a year then the power button would not turn on. TV sent to Walmart. Plans maintenance for repairs. After about a month it came back ok. About 2 months later the same problem happened. So went there--plans deal again for a month. They sent it back and it did not work yet. So I sent it back through the plans deal. A month later received it back. Worked about 8 months and a black line appeared in the center of the TV. And today the TV turns on. Goes to the Sceptre deal for about a second and then turns black. That is it for me and Sceptre. Purchased from Walmart.Com. Purchase date: November 29, 2012. Purchase price: $189.00. Model number: x32. Serial number: c49x322bct2500 Store return period: 0 days.

Original review: May 26, 2016

I bought a 49" 4K Ultra HD Sceptre TV online, through Newegg, a West Coast electronics company I have done business with for many years. Sceptre is apparently a "Marketplace" 3rd party supplier to Newegg. The first TV came with a damaged LCD screen. After contacting both Newegg and Sceptre, they said they would file a claim against FedEx, for shipping damage (even though the carton was in perfect condition). I shipped it back for a replacement. The second TV arrived with a defect at the bottom of the screen surround molding, which resulted in a major light leak. The screen also displayed a thin blue line from top to bottom at the center of the screen. So, a second defective one. I contacted them again, and again they claimed shipping damage and said they would file another claim. At this point I was becoming angry at their cavalier attitude and apparent disdain for true customer service.

In any case, I agreed to try again, and shipped it back for another replacement. The third arrived with a picture that was OK, but the sound was terrible - it actually sounded like the walkie-talkies we used to make when we were kids, using two tin cans and a string. When I contacted them about this, they said that the speakers on an LCD TV don't sound that good because of narrow packaging space. At this point, I went from what was a slow burn, to a very, very irate customer. The audio was clearly defective, and it had nothing to do with speaker design or packaging. What are the odds against receiving 3 defective TVs in a row? It's like winning (in my case, like losing) the lottery.

I returned the third one and insisted on a refund. Mind you, I live in Florida and these TVs came from California, so it took awhile for FedEx Ground to deliver and return them - about a week each time. So they told me that "well, your 30 day free return period has expired now." You can imagine how irate I became with that, and they said, "well, OK. We'll make an exception in this case". What kind of customer service is that? Was it my fault that they delivered to me three defective TVs? On top of all that, they would not refund the purchase on my credit card until the third defective TV had been received at their facility and scanned. I kept track of the FedEx shipping progress each time, and I actually had to inform Sceptre that the third TV had arrived at their facility in City of Industry, CA, that morning at 8:17 AM. They didn't know it until I told them!

Believe it or not, I am actually shortening this story a bit. If I told the complete story, including all the time I spent telling Newegg and Sceptre how disappointed and angry I really was, it would require a lot more space. After all, I had to repackage each defective TV exactly the way it was received, then wait for FedEx to show up (they don't always come when you expect them to) and the "window" of arrival is always in hours, not minutes. However, the only party not "guilty" in this case is, indeed, FedEx.

In all 3 instances, the TVs arrived in good condition, as far as the packaging. I am convinced - and I told both Newegg and Sceptre - that the TVs were not damaged in shipment, but had to be defective before they were shipped. The only reason I gave this review even one star, is there is no option for zero stars. What is really ironic about this whole experience is that last year I purchased a Sceptre 40" LCD TV through Wal-Mart Online. It has had outstanding picture and audio quality since I received it. Go figure.

Original review: May 24, 2016

Horrible picture and sound! 50" went out in one yr. after watching the junk 0-10 hrs. per week! Horrible bootleg customer service! You want quality electronics spend your $ accordingly! Also do research.

Original review: May 23, 2016

I bought this TV on December 15th 2014. A year and a half and it's already not working. The manufacturer warranty it is for one year. You can hear it but no picture. Do not buy this TV. It is worthless. When you buy a new TV you expect for it to last more than a year and a half. Maybe five years. Only buy this TV if you want to throw away money. My Emerson TV lasted 10 years.

Original review: April 2, 2016

Sceptre E555BVF 55 1080p 60Hz Class LED HDTV purchased online through Walmart and received TV 12/17/16. Wasn't overly impressed with quality but not worth the hassle to return. Fast forward 6 or 8 weeks and the picture has a yellow halo on the right center. Looks like many of the actors are recovering from a black eye. Tried to return to Walmart for an exchange or store credit 12 days after the allowance time and they refused first because of the time lapse and then refused because I ordered it online. I have limited mobility and had to wait for my son to come home for Easter to return TV. Couldn't believe they wouldn't accept it, especially since I had all original packaging and had even sent him with all of medical visits and costs associated with me being bedridden 90% of the time.

I had really thought a human could understand another human's woes. Not in this case. Sceptre is impossible to get in touch with - TV supposedly under a 1 yr warranty which is just BS. My advice to anyone is to never purchase a Sceptre product and go hungry if it means buying a product from a reputable company. The reviews is what drew me to this TV and yet I get a lemon while WalMart and Sceptre drink lemonade.

Sceptre TV Company Information