1.66/5

72 Sceptre TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Excellent quality for cheaper price, I don't regret buying it... I laugh at those who bought expensive brands. I love the picture, the quality...and most important, the price.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My experience with Sceptre... Placed a claim because the television had a red line going through the screen ONE WEEK AFTER I PURCHASED IT! Which took 2-3 weeks for me to receive a box to ship it back and ANOTHER 2-3 weeks to receive a refurbished replacement. Placed another claim. The television would not stay on longer than an hour and the picture and sound went on it. ANOTHER 2-3 weeks to receive another box to ship it back and ANOTHER 2-3 weeks to receive a new television.

Placed ANOTHER claim because the television was damaged by FEDEX upon delivery. ANOTHER 2-3 weeks to receive a box to ship it back and ANOTHER 2-3 weeks to receive another television. February 4, 2019 PLACED ANOTHER CLAIM because the television has horizontal lines going through the whole screen again (this is suppose to be a "new" television). Email dated 2/13/19 from Son, stating that the box was damaged in transit, will send another box. Still waiting for said box.

*Emails back and forth with Son in Customer Service. Denied a refund and I am now waiting for a box to be shipped to me so that I can send the FOURTH television back. Oh yeah, forgot, you have no boxes, they are on back order and I am STILL awaiting for a box. Emailed Son. Requested for a label to be sent so I may get a box independently. Decided to wait for a box to be sent from your company because you WILL NOT get me on any type of technicality with the warranty. Also, Son stated that he would work with me and provide a different model television since I have been having so many problems, but will not send the other "model" until he receives the television that is still hanging on my wall. Quoting him verbatim, "I need to have the other television so that we can see if it is a technical issue or the television is being damaged by FedEx". I still DO NOT understand why he will not send me another television until he receives mine.

Can you understand my frustration? I honestly hope SOMEONE can relate to this frustrating, never-ending, unresolved non-working television, PROBLEM. I am really disheartened by your company for allowing this to unfold to this extent. I have been and continue to be patient. I am very dissatisfied and would like some resolution, if not a full refund. I have been more than patient and tolerant with your company. I will attempt to contact Stephen Liu as well and utilize ALL social media regarding my experience with Sceptre. WHY IS THIS SO CALLED COMPANY STILL IN BUSINESS?!?

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

35 Inch Screen and Great Picture Quality. And it was on Sale at Walmart for $90 back in December of 2018. More than happy with the sound quality and ability to attach other devices to it. I'd buy again, proves that brand names are just that, a brand.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Great quality for the price for a 55” TV. A little low on the refresh rate but over all a great buy. No problems in three years. Could have a better base on the set but it has plenty of HDMI and other input/output connections.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I bought a TV a year and a half ago. First one broke, they replaced it. The new one they sent me, broke 2 months later. Out of warranty and REFUSED to help. 2 TVs in less than 2 years...PATHETIC. Only thing worse than the TV, is the customer service. Transferred me from one person to another with no help. PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sceptre TV?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

So about the 75 inch TV 14 months ago and it was a beautiful TV. Then one night I was turning it off to put my daughter to bed and half the screen was gone when I turned it back on. I tried cycling the power couple times and only half the screen with power up dimly and then blackout. I would still have audio. So I called Sceptre customer service and tech support and they told me that indeed I did have some issues but it's two months out of the warranty and they refuse to do anything about it.

I asked how much it would cost to send it in to get it repaired and they told me that what they feel diagnosed is not a repairable issue and I would have to go buy another TV. Keep in mind I just paid $1,600 for this in November of 2017. So I call Sceptre back after having this run in and realizing that the TV is a paperweight and ask them for component numbers which they refuse to give. I also noticed while taking off the back panel of my TV that I had two screws missing and 3 screw stripped which means my TV has been opened up before and I have never touched the back of my TV until now. Of course they refused that this has ever happened and deny everything. But I have definitive proof for myself and a technician that the screws have been stripped. This literally is the worst TV manufacturer ever made especially because it's made in America. It seems like American products are made to break and this just confirms it.

So I'm now stuck with a hundred pound television as tall as me as a paperweight and I don't even know how to get rid of it. I'm trying to fix it myself. I'm buying the parts online but I am never going to buy a Sceptre again nor do I think that anybody else needs to buy a Sceptre. These are the worst TVs ever made I have a Sharp Aquos upstairs that I have had for 14 years and never had an issue. I have a 50 inch plasma Zenith that I have had for 7 years and never had an issue. I get a brand-new LED 4K Ultra high-definition television 75 in $1,600 later and it breaks in less than a year and a half.

The whole point to all of this people if you're reading this review is that this company will not back up its product. This company does not care about the customer. This company only wants your money right out the gate and then they will literally drop you like a bad habit. This place needs to be shut down. I do not understand how they have been in business since 1984.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This company leaves little to desire. I bought a 55” Sceptre TV. It worked fine until the modem went out on my internet. After replacing it I have not been able to connect to Netflix. I called for support and they told me they didn’t carry Smart TVs nor could any of their TVs connect to the internet. How do they think I have connected in the past? DO NOT BUY one of their TVs. I asked to speak to someone above and he said it was not possible. CROOKS!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Purchased a small tv/DVD for my son's room, didn't want to purchase an expensive tv for just movie watching. Put in an area where he couldn't reach it. First had problems with remote working. If I left the batteries in the remote for a week or so without using, it would stop working and I would have to put brand new batteries in it again before it would work. Did this 3 times before just removing the batteries and leaving them out of the remote in between use. My son barely watches tv and after this 6-8 months has only used the tv around 10 times.

Now the DVDs won't load. I checked to make sure I am putting them in the correct way and have tried multiple DVDs but they will not load at all. There is no point in calling the company to see if they will fix since I have heard I would have to pay shipping and that definitely isn't worth it on such a small, cheap tv anyway. The only reason I purchased the tv was because his room is small and I wanted a tv/DVD player in one because when he does watch tv it is usually DVDs. I was hoping to save some space and not have a separate DVD player cluttering the room. I will cut my losses and have to go out to buy another tv/DVD player but will never buy another Sceptre again!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I will never purchase another tv from Sceptre again. I ordered the 75” from Walmart and the picture blew less than 30 days after plugging it in. After filing for the warranty that tried to claim that it was hit which it wasn’t. Myself along with many of my family members all heard a noise coming from it and something inside of the screen popped and caused the pic to go out. Sceptre does not stand by their products at all.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Still paying off my 75 inch Sceptre TV and it went out! Screen is completely blacked out and won’t turn on. What a scam. Oh and it only had a 1 year warranty and of course it goes out as it expires. What a joke.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I bought a Sceptre TV, 55 inch, LED HD TV, 14 months ago. I was very impressed with the picture and quality. But the TV broke only after 14 months. I contacted the company and told them what had happened. They told me that their warranty was only good for 12 months, and there is nothing I could do. So, Sceptre products only last a little over a year, and the company does not stand behind its products. Do yourself a favor and buy another brand that will last longer than 14 months.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I purchased a 55in from Walmart. It lasted for 3 years; however, we didn’t use it daily. We tried to have a movie night as a family Christmas Eve and it went black just as we were starting and never came back on.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Our daughter bought us this tv and within 30 days it stopped working. Took it to the manufacturer and they swapped it out for another tv. Not realizing that this company would give us another nonworking tv, we didn’t take it out of the box until we moved to our new home 5 months later. We just unboxed it and turned it on. And within 2 min it shut off and it won’t turn back on. I feel bad for my daughter because she spent her money buying the worst tv I’ve ever seen.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I purchased a SCEPTRE 43" from Walmart.com on 11/23/18 as a Black Friday deal. I did like the fact that my order was shipped to my my store in Hood River, OR. That store number is 0186. My order number is **. The name on the order is Sherrie **. Because the Hood River store does not carry the SCEPTRE brand I couldn't see it in person until it was delivered. When I picked it up from the store the young lady checked a couple of spots on the box that had torn through. We determined that the tv was not damaged so I took possession of it. I got it home and read the set up pamphlet which was totally useless. Maybe this is the norm for a "cheap" tv. More information would have been helpful. The user’s manual on the Internet wasn't that helpful either. I had done research before I purchased the tv. There were a few that gave good reviews, some mediocre reviews, and some bad reviews.

There were numerous reviews that the screen was cracked upon delivery. When I took delivery of my tv the screen looked fine. The tv was not easy to set up, the sound was very tiny and the picture was orange. I tried to adjust the sound and had no luck. The remote wouldn't let me do anything. Then I was trying to hook up a cable to the back of the tv and I couldn't quite reach it so I moved the tv by grabbing the sides and as soon as I did the whole left side of the screen shattered. The picture also became a series of vertical lines. I suspect there was a tiny crack on the screen which caused the whole left side of the screen.

I emailed the Warranty Department along with pictures of the screen. I got a return email saying it was physical damage and would not be covered. However I was informed that I could package up the tv and send it back at my expense. If I had a defective tv why in the world would I want it repaired and sent back. It may have been my perception but the tone of the email was quite rude and no help at all.

SCEPTRE has the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life and one of the poorest products ever made. I did ask for my purchase price of $169.99 and got no answer on that particular request. I did talk with three people at my Hood River Walmart just wanting them to know that Walmart.com was selling inferior products and what I believe are paid reviews. The three customer service people immediately began to solve my dilemma that was caused by SCEPTRE. They took back the inferior tv. I showed them the pictures and they were appalled.

I was pleasantly surprised they took back the crappy tv but I shouldn't be because the customer service has always gone above and beyond to take care of their customers’ needs no matter how small or large. I usually deal with Teresa at the customer service counter but it was her day off. She is one of the best. This day I dealt with Steve, Lynette, and Michelle the manager. I ended up walking out of my Walmart with a brand new Vizio smart tv. It is much sturdier, easy to set up, both sound and picture are exceptional. I will NEVER purchase a SCEPTRE product and neither will anyone I know. I have also spoken to Walmart about discontinuing carrying the SCEPTRE brand.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I purchased this crap approximately 6 months ago. Today 12/25/18 is the first time I unboxed this TV. I plugged it in with the plastic on. As soon as I took the tape which mind you was taped to the screen, the tape once powered up destroyed the screen all around the edge of the screen. From reading reviews I guess I will cut my losses. But like everyone else DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM Sceptre TV.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a 32in LED TV from Walmart for 99.00 during Black Friday in 2017. This TV was to replace an old TV that still worked. So I didn't opened it immediately. When I opened it, the TV came on but I couldn't get my digital channels to play. I tried numerous times to channel scan but no luck. I purchased a new antenna. I called Sceptre for support. The tech support told me it was the channel tuner. Sceptre sent me another one but it didn't work. Of course they told me to send it to them. Shame on Sceptre because it would cost me 67.00 to send a 99.00 TV back to them. If would do something so Stupid!!! They knew this would be a ridiculous problem. That's why they wouldn't pay for return. BUYER BEWARE... Please don't give as a gift without testing the TV first. Better yet purchase a TV from a place that won't ask you to send it somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We purchased a 32" Sceptre television with a built-in DVD player for our grandson's bedroom. Now, my husband is usually very tech savvy, but the set up was horrible, gave him so much trouble, it kept jumping back to the beginning step. After finally getting it set up, the television continually had a popping and snapping sound with the picture going snowy at every pop and snap. He finally got ahold of a service tech after several hours and the guy said it sounded like a power board issue and recommend that we take it back to Walmart. Probably the worst purchase we've made in a very long time. I would never recommend this brand. We've since bought an LG 32", plus a separate DVD player, and we're very happy with this purchase.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The television is several months beyond 1 year warranty after previous failure covered by one year warranty. The power just quit. Nothing. I tried different outlets without any luck. Customer support was very responsive but advise it was now beyond one year warranty. They offered instructions on how to purchase a new power board. $75 plus $15 shipping. Oh, and bring it to TV repair shop and have them replace the part. Terrible. Not even worth the money.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I guess you really get what you pay for. Picture is bad, sound is bad, TV defaults to SAP & will not go back to English. Worst of all they have the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. Was no help & rude about it. But what do they care, they got their money. It's too bad that there are still companies like this in existence.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Yellow looks brown on my TV. Tried to contact customer service via email, they literally replied with; "Based on the images you provided, the TV does appear to be performing normally." Thanks guys. Real helpful. I got mad and asked if they even read my message, they said they did which is why they asked for the images in the first place. 100% done with this company. Do not buy from them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I bought this tv for my kids room. They had a little small tv that I used when I was in college and I figured it was time for a slight upgrade. Purchased this tv in March 2018. By September 24th the tv is a dud! The issue is started around mid-July. The kiddos were enjoying Shimmer and Shine and the screen went blue. I was thinking wth?! So I'm trying all sort of things. I googled the issue and a few solutions pop up. None of the things other people tried worked. I did EVERYTHING imaginable sans opening the tv and trying to see if anything was loose. I went to the store, bought new hdmi cables, even had a friend come over and see if he could fix the problem. Nothing. Finally, about two hours later, we used a different cable (this was cable number 4 - and not the new one) and my friend pushed it in with a little force and bam - the tv magically starts to show the next cartoon that was on.

Fast forward to September. Same issue. I switched out cables, did a sacred tv start working dance, reset the tv, reset the cable box, a lot of the same old crap they tell you with customer service. This time, I was told that it was my satellite (Dish Network) box. I found this hard to believe. I know that Dish isn't always the best, but I have never had this issue, EVER. Dish was what my parents had when I was growing up and it's what I went with when I got my own house. I took the box that was attached to my kids tv and tried it on the three other tvs that we have in the house. As soon as the hdmi cable touch the box and tv, the picture play with no problems. I even brought out old college faithful to see if maybe, just maybe customer service was onto something by throwing the buck on DISH. Nope, old faithful sparked to life and though small, the picture and sound were crystal clear.

I want to add that I tried every component method available and NONE of them worked. Yep, every last component port failed to rendered any sort of sound or picture. I hopped online and filed with the warranty service. They said, "Here's a shipping label, send it to us and we will look at it." Took about three days for FedEx to deliver to them. The tv was delivered to them that Friday and by the next Tuesday I get an email saying that have finished repairing and testing my unit and it is on the way back to me.

Friday, the tv is delivered. I get home and am ever so gentle with it. Guess what? Still no picture or sound. It doesn't recognize any of the hdmi cables, components outputs still don't work. Now I'm waiting on their response. This tv is crap and I won't recommend it to even my worst enemy. I would probably get a better connection by plugging the hdmi into a cardboard box! The price is tempting, but the headache is not worth it. Save up a few more dollars and get a better brand than this.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I bought a second Sceptre TV in 2013, after my first TV lost display and showed no video when powered on. The first TV only lasted 2 years. This second tv just lost display. When I contacted technical support, they said the repairs would cost more than a new tv. Their warranty is only good for one year after purchase. This company is aware of the display problems, yet has done nothing to fix the issue on their products. In my opinion, and after 2 tvs have gone bad with the SAME problem, I would say to avoid this product. It was quite affordable ($275), but not worth having to replace for the same problem.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have never been so frustrated with Walmart and their warranty company. My 39 in. Vizio TV sound went out after two years. I called the number provided on the paperwork to find out what to do. It was an act of God to get someone to help me. I packed up the Vizio. Sent it FEDEX. 4 or 5 days I get an email that the TV was damaged beyond repair. They will get in touch with me for replacement. The replacement was a Sceptre 43 in. It lasted less than a week. Sound quit working. Packed it up. Sent it FEDEX. This entire process has taken over 1 month. It will be two to three days before they replace it with a 39 in Vizio, just like my original. I was not impressed by the Sceptre. It was a piece of junk.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Recently purchased a Sceptre TV and thought everything was going fine for the first 3 weeks. Then, out of the blue, the remote control started to not work. We would push the volume down button and the volume would go up. So we decided to push the volume up button and the volume still went up. Finally we were able to get the volume to go back down. The next night, the remote was on the table and I was about three feet away from it when the volume started turning down. The TV was turning the volume down on its own. Each day that went by, it did it more and more. I took the batteries out of the remote control thinking that it was a faulty remote. It turns out the TV itself, was turning down the volume and not the remote control.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I purchased this 32" LED TV 3 years ago and currently has two lines running through it. The tv still has the plastic and energy guide still around it and for some reason it is still going out. Be careful in buying this product. The warranty only lasted a year.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I bought my 40" Sceptre TV through Walmart in 2012. Delivery was great and arrived with no problems. In the 6 years I've owned it there has never been a problem. It died last night and I'm sad, but I only paid $175.00 for it so I certainly can't complain. I loved my Sceptre! Time to start shopping again.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I purchased a 50” Sceptre TV for my mother 6 years ago. She literally has it on at least 10 hours daily. During that time, the TV has performed flawlessly! I also purchased two other Sceptre TV’s for myself; one for the living room and another for my bedroom. No issues whatsoever. There was a point when I decided to “upgrade” to a Sony 65” 4k. The price was $1600... three times the cost. Quite honestly, I was very disappointed. The picture quality was just a slight improvement and the remote was VERY slow to respond. I gladly returned it to Best Buy.

Round two: I tried out the highly rated TCL ROKU 4K 55”... Although it did have some very nice features, the screen had “grey areas” in all 4 corners. After doing some research, I discovered that other consumers had the same issue. So back to Best Buy it went. Round three: I just purchased the well reviewed Sceptre 4k curved tv. It is expected to be delivered today. The price was $379.00 at Walmart. If past experience with my other Sceptre TV's is on track, I am quite sure this one will be a “keeper”. I will update this post once I have it hooked up.

Original review: June 23, 2018

This CS person was extremely nasty, condescending, insulting and had me to a point where I wanted to throw my phone. The shame of it all was that he did finally solve the problem. But the experience resulted in my dedication to never again buy a Sceptre product. This guy should be fired. A true pedantic **!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I bought Sceptre E249BV-SR 720p LED TV 24" from Amazon for my camper. By the time I went camping and got the TV out of the box and install it was a couple of weeks past the return cutoff. I couldn't get it to work in the camper. All I could get was a blue screen and a message "No signal". I thought maybe it was the campers antenna. I disassembled and took it home and tried it on my Dish network with the exact same results. Been trying to contact Amazon and Sceptre without any luck. All I want is my $90.00 back! Looks like I'm stuck with a piece of junk.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I'm back to buy another Sceptre TV. We use these TVs for various purposes but mostly digital signage at an aluminum extrusion plant where the environment is harsh on a good day. I have eight in service and am ordering another today. We have replaced 4, but three were damaged by moving equipment and one was installed too close to a metal saw and suffered damage from aluminum chip ingestion. Another also arrived with damage in transit and never worked due to a cracked screen. These are the most affordable TVs available on a consistent basis and while you can find a better picture for twice the price, you can also spend much more and get less of a picture. Overall my experience has been stellar with these TVs.

Sceptre TV Company Information