1.54/5

463 Sharp TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Would not recommend, wish I had read reviews before purchase. Bought Sharp in the past, 25 years ago. Thought it was still a good product but have had nothing but problems with this one. Freezes, shuts off by itself, constantly has to be unplugged and reset. Contacted support, told to download program from computer and reprogram with 2.23 update, when that didn't work was told to call a repair shop, when I did I was told it would cost more to fix than tv was worth. Thanks for all your help Sharp. Next time I'll read the reviews.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I had bought my 60 inch Sharp TV in 2014 and the screen at the end of 2017 was distorting and I was resetting the TV and still couldn’t watch TV it would work then it would distort. So 2018 it became unbearable and I kept calling my cable company and they said it was the HDMI and I bought a new one. So the cable guy came to house told me the TV was shot. I contacted Sharp since I had it out for the trash it got even more damaged getting it outside sharp said nothing they can do. Don’t buy a Sharp TV it didn’t even last a full 4 years. You get what you pay for I am out $748. Lesson learned.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I bought Sharp TV 55 inch. The day one it has always loading issues and sometimes more windows blow on the TV. It runs for some time and starts loading and it struck over there. we need to switch off from the wall and wait some time and then re start it then it runs for some time about 40 minutes and again starts loading and struck. called customer care around 70 times but no response. they say escalated to higher team and will call in 24 hours and never calls. tired of this things.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Bought a "65" inch Smart TV made by Sharp on Nov. 26, 2017. On August 10 or 11,2018 I contacted Sharp about the TV. I first talked to someone at Walmart about the TV, & they told that their warranty was only good for 90 days & that Sharp had a (1) year warranty on the TV. So, I proceeded to contact them concerning this matter.

First, let me explain what was going on with the TV. Just watching then all of a sudden there were a big black spot that was in the middle of the TV & all that you could see was the sides of what was playing then we cut it off, then turned it back on it had stripes or lines in the TV and it had like a disfigured crack where it looked like something was going on internal. By this time contacted Sharp & they asked for pictures in which I sent & they proceeded to tell me that it had physical damage. What are you talking about? Physical how? We're watching TV & this happens. So, Sharp is not honoring the manufacturer warranty & I am out of a lot of money for buying this worthless piece of TV. To anyone who values your dollar do not buy a Sharp, Hisense or Aquos TV because it is not worth it. The warranty from them is not honored & from wherever or whomever you buy your TV from it is only warranted for 90 days. I thank you for your time.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Sharp and clear picture. The picture on this 60” big screen is phenomenal. Everyone comes over for NFL season! This TV is going on 6 years old with zero issues. It's user friendly too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharp TVs?

Original review: July 13, 2018

DO NOT BUY Sharp. I bought a high-end 70" Sharp Aquos for $$$. It had moderate use for 4 years, and then failed, power down, just as the 4 year Best Buy warranty ran out. Had to get it looked at by a TV repair company who told me the replacement grid for the LEDs would be at least $1,000. Not good enough. Reviews online say this is known issue, (in addition to the power board, a less expensive fix). I hear Hisense now own Sharp in the US. Unscrupulous practices trading of the previously good Sharp branding. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I bought a 60 inch Sharp Aquos in 2012. It was fine until yesterday. I was watching TV then all of sudden I heard a pop and seen a spark fall from the bottom of the TV and then the screen went black. I got cut the TV to see if it was on fire, it wasn’t. I cut it back on. The picture was back on but its lines going through the picture and it’s fuzz. I’m pissed because I paid $1k when I bought this piece of crap. My RCA flare screen I bought in 09 that’s in my bedroom is still working fine but this piece of ** that’s made by a so called better brand goes out after only 6 years.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I bought the device at Wal-Mart. It worked well at first. I received a prompt for an update. After I accepted it the TV would no longer connect to my phone. After several attempts to reach Sharp customer service, I was told repeatedly that the TV was not made to work with my phone and nothing will be done about it. Why is it that they allowed to get away with this?

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought a 50" smart TV from The Brick on May 4, 2018 and it just quit working on July 9th. I was in the middle of a movie and it just shut down. Called The Brick and they give me Sharp's phone number then I call that number to find out that it is just Sharp branded and I would have to call the manufacturer so they give me that number which was not in service so I called back again. Finally got the right number 2 hours later and now I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for someone to contact me to set up a service call. I should not be dealing with this when the TV is just 2 months old. And how can Sharp not service this when it is carrying their name. I think they should have to stand behind its manufacturer or not it has their name.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Purchased a Sharp 2014 32" Color TV from Best Buy Model HRVeayA005846... Yesterday the picture went on this TV. Can hear sound but no picture... Menu should come up but cannot even get that. DO NOT BUY A SHARP TV unless you want to throw your money down the drain... And do not buy from Best Buy. They do not care!

Original review: June 26, 2018

In August last year I bought a very nice looking white Sharp Aquos LC-40LE275X TV and in May this year it already stopped working. I would watch TV and after about 45 minutes the TV would turn off and the LED light would flicker, after this I couldn't turn the TV back on. I brought it to Home Hub where I bought it and got it back after 1.5 week, they said it was repaired. I took it back home and after 45 minutes it had the exact same problem. I went back to Home Hub and told them what I thought about this as they clearly didn't check to see if the problem was solved or not before returning the TV to me.

After several complaints, I got a new TV of the same model as the previous TV was unfixable, they replaced the power unit, motherboard etc. but nothing helped. This was last week. Enjoying my new TV for a week now, and I have a problem again, the sound just goes off, then the TV turns off and back on. Replaced the HDMI cable to see if that was the problem but the problem remains. Sharp support desk in Thailand does nothing but asking to be patient. Be warned and do not buy Sharp.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I purchased a Sharp 50 inch TV from Best Buy in 2015. In 2016 the back panel went out. This cannot be repaired. Good thing I had 5 year extended warranty. My Sharp TV was replaced with a Sharp Roku TV by the Geek Squad. I was told this was a better a model. By 2018 back panel again!! This time I was told my insurance was no good since my TV had been replaced. I did not have buy another extended warranty. No wonder manufacturer warranty is only a year!! And yes BEST BUY STILL SELLS SHARP TVS!!! What a ripoff!! Ooops my bad!!! I should have read the reviews before I purchased anything. Also buyer beware of 1 year warranties! Realize that the manufacturer, Best Buy and Geek insurance know about this problem... now the consumers know too!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have an old box TV, it is probably 15-20 years old and still going strong. In today's throw away world, this is such an oddity. It was top of the line when it came out! It competes nicely with the modern models. Only thing that is hard is how much it weighs! I love reviewing products and reviewing products I own is great! Thank you!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I bought my Mom a Sharp TV, for Christmas last year. Almost immediately, it would stall, and start a ringing sound. It would not power off. You have to unplug the TV, and it resets it... I notified Sharp but got nothing but the runaround... PEOPLE, DO NOT BUY SHARP TVS!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I wrote a review in April 2018 about how my tv keeps freezing up and sometimes won't even turn on. Today it developed a horizontal purple line through the middle. I have had it less than a year and it is truly a piece of junk. It will go in the garbage before I pay for repairs and will never buy another one. I have a Sony that is 10+ years old and has not had any problems at all.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Purchased a 70 inch Sharp Aquos Smart TV 2 years ago, and while it consistently would freeze up, does not support many of the popular apps, it just died! $2,200 down the drain! Extremely disappointed and will never buy any Sharp products!

Original review: April 20, 2018

So far we have this SHARP TV 5 months and it keeps freezing up, turning off on its own and no response from the remote control. 4 Incident tickets have been created. After the second ticket two technicians came out and replaced both PCBs. It worked again for about a month and then problems came back, gradually getting worse. Unplugging is the only thing that helped to turn the tv on again. I emailed SHARP/HiSense and told SHARP to come pick up the TV, give us our money back, diagnose it on their own time. SHARP responded that we should do a new update from an empty flash drive after I had called to follow up on their lack of response on my email. I followed these instructions and it only made it worse. Since doing the update, the TV no longer operates for more than 2 minutes.

After that I called SHARP again, telling them we have no confidence in them getting the TV fixed. SHARP’s response was that we needed to “hard reboot” the TV first before they could help us... After 4 more phone calls to SHARP and one more week of waiting, they promised again that a technician would come out to diagnose the TV, but that they need proof of purchase in order to send out a technician. The TV has been registered and I sent the proof of purchase before they created the second incident number. After sending the proof of purchase again, SHARP told us the logo from Best Buy is missing from the proof of purchase... It appears SHARP is trying to come up with excuses to not resolve a customer’s issues.

Meanwhile, even pulling the plug does not work anymore. It no longer will even turn on! According to SHARP, if the TV cannot be fixed a refurbished TV will be provided, but my warranty will not be extended in that case. I can sadly only conclude from my experience that SHARP does not care if your TV has not been working for 5 months! I paid $545 for a “new” TV that worked for about a week. Needless to say, I am disappointed in this atrocious customer service. We will certainly not be buying a SHARP product ever again, and we will make sure to discourage everyone we know from buying anything from them as well.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Purchased in November 2014 or '15. January 2018 our screen started blacking out in left lower corner. We have taken meticulous care of this television. Now the television will no longer turn on. We have troubleshooted multiple times now with no resolution of the problem. Sharp customer service has been less than helpful. The company lacks integrity when taking any responsibility for the poor long term quality of their product. It is past the three year extended warranty. I'm shocked that a $1200 purchase would need to be replaced shortly after 3 or 4 years.

This is not the first Sharp product we have had fail in a short period of time. I will avoid this name brand from now on. Feeling victimized by the Sharp company and no longer trust their products. If others plan on purchasing a Sharp I would get the longest warranty available and then have little to no expectations to it being honored in a satisfactory way. I have enjoyed the quality of the picture. The television is great while it is working. Sorry Sharp. :/

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had purchased a 42 inch LED TV 3 years ago. T 3 Years and 1 month it stopped working. Sharp wants nothing to do with it. The quality of Sharp products are ripping the consumer off. I do not recommend Sharp to anyone. I also do not recommend The BEST BUY extended warranty if you purchase a 2 year warranty the first year is from the day you purchase the product even if the product comes with a 1 year warranty. You are paying the 2 year price for only 1 year another ripoff. Common Criminals taking advantage of the consumer.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We have been having issues with our tv (Sharp Aquos Smart TV 4K Quattron+) for a few months after purchasing it less than 2 years ago. We are not able to connect to the internet and then we have been experiencing a lot of flickering all over the screen so we are unable to watch tv. It’s started as a black line on the bottom of the screen that would go away and reappear a few minutes later then, we are able to stop the flickering for a few minutes when we turn it off and then turn it back on but then it starts again. We paid over $1,000 for this tv and it’s worthless. I’ve paid way less for other tv’s that have lasted me over 7 years and counting.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I have an older (2007?) Sharp 70 inch tv and the "smart central" is freezing up and I have to do a hard reboot (unplug while still on). Helps for about 2 minutes then freezes again. Called customer service and they’re trying to tell me I have the wrong model number, no it's the right one. I even checked the back of tv again! First thing they wanted to do was for me to "reset" the tv. Nope, sorry. I have all the picture quality settings customized and they are a lot. They talk like they really hate their job and are having to grunt a little to help you. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE! Can you say SAMSUNG!!! Never again.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I bought this Sharp 55 inch Aquos 4K LED Smart TV on a Black Friday sale and the TV was initially a great buy. The picture is beautiful and has smart apps pre-loaded and even has a cast option on it but one day the TV volume just started jumping up to level 50 on its own and at first I thought I accidentally touched the remote or something but it kept doing it. I have been searching the internet for a resolution to the problem but nothing has helped so far and due to buying it on Black Friday I can't take it back and I didnt opt for the protection plan. It's too expensive to just throw away so I'm hoping there will be a firmware update that will resolve the issue.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My son gave me a Sharp 50 inch smart TV for Christmas 2015. It worked just fine until February 2017 when the screen went dark and the sound remained - 14 months after purchase at Best Buy. He did not get the extended warranty. Only the factory 12 month warranty. Because of that I took it to an electronic shop for repair. The owner said it was the back panel and the TV was irreparable. He also said he had seen a few of these same models with the same problem. That should not happen. I also saw many reviews of the same TV and problem online.

I spoke to multiple people at Best Buy including the managers at the Best Buy it was purchased at and they all referred me to call Sharp. I talked to multiple people at the Sharp line including managers who all said it was not their problem just as Best Buy did. I found it interesting that Best Buy stopped carrying this model in early 2016. I see so many reviews out there about these sharp TVs yet there is no recall or responsibility taken by either company. I also sent letters to each of the corporate offices. No response from either one which was no surprise. I was very disappointed with Best Buy as well as the Sharp company. They are selling a defective model.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We purchased a 72" Sharp Aquos TV for $1500 and after less than a year and a half it wouldn't turn on. We did the hard restart like everyone else and when the tv came on it had a very red, distorted picture with vertical lines on the left side of the screen. Called Sharp as this seems to be a common problem after a couple years and they told us to do the hard restart again. That didn't work. They told me since my tv was over a year old they wouldn't do anything about it. I have a Mitsubishi 70" going on 14 years now. Had an issue with it after 4 years or so and they fixed it with no questions asked as it was a problem a lot of people were having.

If I pay $1500 for a brand new tv it A) should last longer than 14 months and B) have some sort of customer service that actually cares about their customers and not just tell them there is nothing they can do. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING A COMPANY CAN DO! They are choosing not to help their customers. For this reason I WILL NEVER purchase anything from Sharp Electronics and their subsidiaries. Plus, I will be contacting my lawyer to see about a class action lawsuit as this is a mounting issue for Sharp consumers.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Two weeks ago, my 60" Sharp Aquos tv started power cycling (turning on and off ad infinitum until unplugged) randomly after being used in the morning. I contacted Sharp customer service the next day as I had missed the cut off for their hours and talked to two service reps via online chat so I could have a written record to refer back to when trying to fix the tv. The first rep told me that it was an update issue and that all I needed to do was download the update and install it to the tv.

That failed. The tv wouldn't stay on long enough to recognize the USB drive, so I tried customer service again. "Wendy" informed me that I was using a too-large USB drive and that they recommended a 1-4gb drive. I found a smaller USB drive and tried the update again; again, the tv power cycled too rapidly to read the drive. Wendy and I went through this four different times until I realized I was not going to get another suggestion and that this individual was merely working through a manual.

I gave up and handed it off to a family member to solve. He called the customer service line and was given the same information - download the update and the tv will update. So, we tried again and failed again. This time, we demanded a tech come look at the tv or at least refer us to an authorized repair shop in town. Sharp referred us to a repair shop that has a one star review. We scheduled the repair anyway. On the day of the repair, the technician called to inform us that he had another, more important job and if that was okay with us that he cancelled to go to his other job but he would research the problem and call us.

We waited over a week with no call. I'm only mentioning the repair company because this is an authorized repair shop promoted by Sharp. We took the tv down to a local repair shop and received word today that the problem was not an upgrade issue. The motherboard is out, which is absurd on an 18 month old tv. I'd like to think this is a fluke of an experience, but I'll not be repeating it with another Sharp product.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Bought Sharp TV on 21st January 2017 thinking it would be a reliable product. Unfortunately not the case. 13 months to the day, 20th February 2018, a short time after turning on TV we lost the picture and were looking at a black screen with the sound only. The next day, contacted Technical Support, to be informed that it would have to be collected and we would have to pay £69.00 plus the cost of a new picture board. This is certainly not the reliable product we thought we were purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Same story. Bought Sharp 70 inch in July 2015. Now turned on. Nothing. Like all the rest, had trouble in beginning would not turn off. Had to reboot a lot. Now on repair shop. After reading all these reviews wondering should I just trash it. It will cost 350 to fix. Wow can’t believe this, never will I purchase a Sharp product.

Updated on 03/02/2018: Update on Sharp 70 inch, wrote a review a couple of weeks ago Had Sharp 70 for nearly 2 yrs to the day, screen went black no sound, took it in for repair. Motherboard replaced 340 dollars. Barely used it this week, worked fine, today turned on now sound, screen black, wow what a disappointment. Ready to give up on this junk, still under warranty from repair shop, not going to invest anymore into this horrible Sharp TV.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We bought a 50" Sharp Smart TV in November 2017 for our beach condo. We set it up and mounted it on the wall in December. It worked for two days and the picture went out. I turned it off, it came back on, and then the sound and picture went out. We called Sharp and they said they would sent the part to a repairman and send him out. We waited almost a month and no one showed up. We called Sharp again and they said they would send another repairman. Our rental agent met the new repairman at our condo, and after two hours, he said he couldn't repair it. We called Sharp again, and they said we had to box up the TV and send it back to the factory. We live 300 miles from our condo, we will have no TV at our rental condo, and our condo cannot be rented without TV. We asked for a replacement, and the Sharp rep said that is impossible. I will never buy another Sharp product!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Bought this TV December 2017. (5) days after having the TV it made this high pitch noise and shut off. The TV turned back on. A few hours later happened again. I then got on the phone with Sharp customer service. They had me troubleshoot it. We did that great. In less than 24 hours TV did it again. Back on the phone again. They have me troubleshoot it again and say they were send a tech out to look at it. They say, "The tech will call you in a few days." A week goes by nothing. Again on the phone with them they call the tech. The tech finally calls. Says, "Oh they're sending me the parts." Mind you the tech hasn't seen the TV. He say, "Should have it in a few days. I'll call you."

Few days goes by my husband calls him. Says, "Oh I got it. I'll be over Monday morning," Husband says great. This is Friday ok. Monday comes nothing, Tuesday nothing so my husband calls. They call the tech. He says he got into an accident and forgot to call. So set up another appointment. 4 days goes by the guy finally shows. Fixes the 2 boards and says it's all set. 2 hours later the TV does it again so we call the guy, he troubleshoots it and still 4 days later the TV is still doing it.

The repair guy says, "I can't do anything. Call customer care." Call customer care and they are useless. They say, "We can send the guy out again." Nope that won't work. We say, "Send a new TV and take this one." He says, "We take it but you have to ship it to us at your cost then we will look at it and if it's bad we will replace it with a refurbished one but that will be 7 to 10 days to complete." Meanwhile I have no TV that I paid an arm and leg for and this is what I get to deal with. As of Today still no results. Please save yourself the trouble. Don't buy this TV or any TV from Sharp. Very upsetting.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I bought a Sharp TV at Tesco 10 days ago and it's nothing but disappointing. Tesco gave it great reviews, blamed Virgin media for the problems. They (Virgin media) have been out three times to help fix things and it is now obvious the problems are in the TV. Incompatible volume control with Virgin, faulty sound in the TV, only one volume level. TV screen becomes pale grey/white if you sit at 45 degree angle making it only viewable for one person sitting right in front of it. I want Tesco to take it back but they are making a big deal of the fact the box has been discarded. These TVs are prehistoric, should never be on the market.

Sharp TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sharp is a pioneer in the LCD TV technology and continues to lead the field by making large LCD panels and the AQUOS series.

• Vibrant color detail: Sharp's Quattron technology incorporates 33 percent more sub-pixels than a standard HDTV for a total of eight million sub-pixels; plus, its Aquomotion 480 ensures crystal-clear images even during high-motion scenes.

• Lots of content: Sharp's Smart TVs are loaded with apps, so you're never far away from your favorite content.

• Multiple ports: With multiple HDMI inputs, plus a USB connection and an optical audio output, connecting devices is a snap on many of Sharp's models.

• Wallpaper mode: Even when the TV is turned off, it's beautiful. Turn the TV into a photo frame or a work of art when it is switched off.

• Built-in audio: Two built-in speakers on the bottom of the sets deliver 20W of simulated surround-sound audio, plus the models are compatible with Sharp's sound bar.

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs