1.41/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

476 Sharp TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My Sharp 60" LC-60EQ10U started malfunctioning during the holidays with scrambly horizontal lines that made the TV unwatchable. Being that the TV is just over 3 years old I contacted Sharp and described the problem in detail to see if they thought it was fixable. I was told I needed to take several pictures of the screen so that they could see what was happening. I sent them several pictures as well as a video and weeks later they keep passing my "file" around different departments saying your case is being reviewed. I was not looking for any handout, just a professional assessment of what my options were. Perhaps getting it repaired by a local vendor. I have still received no good feedback and I can see their strategy is clearly to stall in hopes the customer gives up. It worked. I give up and will never own another Sharp product again. AVOID THIS COMPANY and certainly AVOID their CUSTOMER DISSERVICE DEPT.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

On 11/23/17, I purchased a 55” Sharp LC-55P6000U flat screen television. In February of 2018, a message popped up on the screen that I needed to update the firmware on the TV. The message could not be removed from the screen until I clicked on “Update”. Once the update completed, the TV no longer worked. The red power button would come on and off, but nothing ever came up on the screen. I contacted Sharp (Hisense now) and they had me mail the television to them to be repaired. Three (3) months after being purchased new!!!! I received the television back and it appeared to be working ok.

Fast forward to a week ago (thirteen months after purchase), I get the same “update” message on the screen that will not go away until you click on “Update”. I clicked on update and guess what… Now the red light comes on and off, but again, nothing on the screen. I have since called Hisense three (3) different times and been told by someone who speaks English as a second language (difficult to understand) that after they have asked their two (2), yes I said TWO, tech support questions, they tell me that the TV needs repair but is now out of warranty! I am SOOO glad that I spent my hard earned money on a TV that lasted a whopping 13 months and needs to be repaired for a SECOND time. Bad play, Sharp, bad play! You have lost a customer for life now! I know that in the grand scheme of the consumer world my little purchase here and there means nothing, but as a company based on the feedback of your customers, it should.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought a 55 inch Sharp tv in 2017 in November and today January 8, 2019 the TV no longer works. I was forced to upgrade and the TV. I tried turning it off and then it kept reading upgrade. I did the upgrade and my tv stopped working. Called customer service with my issue of their product and their reply was “The tv in your area are no longer covered”. Needless to say I will NEVER purchase another Sharp product.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I Purchased the flagship of sharp TVs. It will not stay connected to the wireless Internet after many attempts to connect it. I have found it to continue to disconnects. This is a very unreliable company and the remote also doesn't seem to work in concert with the TV. I would highly recommend if you're looking at a TV turn away from Sharp's TV, especially if it's their high-end model. Not a smart use of anyone's hard earned money!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have had this TV for 2 years and all of a sudden it stopped working. I can hear it but the screen is completely black. When I called Sharp they said it's the backlight. Why has the backlight gone out on a TV that is 2 years old? I have a Samsung that's 10 years old and still shows a perfect picture. I will never buy another Sharp television.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharp TVs?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

TV constantly freezes while on Netflix or other apps. Worst TV I've ever brought. Save your money and buy something better. I'm going to contact the company as well since I have a Walmart protection plan. I have only had the TV for a month.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Do not buy Sharp televisions. They have been known to have backlight issues. I purchased a 50 inch Sharp LC-50LB370U. I also purchased the Best Buy Geek Squad 2 year warranty. Needless to say immediately after the second year, the backlight went out on the television. I would turn on the television and the screen would go black. The on and off light would blink red 7 times then turn blue. I researched this and found multiple websites complaining about the backlight. I contacted Sharp customer service and they advised me that this was the issue and they could not do anything since my television was out of warranty. I then contacted numerous television repair companies and they each quoted in excess of $300. Needless to say I will be purchasing another television and it will never be Sharp.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Had less than 2 years and television blew out. Contacted Sharp and was told they discontinued that brand and for me to send that television to their office along with $850 and they will send me a refurbished one. I told them I already spent over $2,000 so why would I spend more money on a television and lose out on the monies I've already spent.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Twice now, within the last week, I will be watching NETFLIX or HULU on my Smart Roku TV that I purchased less than one year ago and it will just disconnect from the internet. My other devices will still be connected so it's not my internet, it is the T.V. I'm extremely frustrated because I have not even had this T.V. for a year and this has happened twice within a week. The first time I unplugged everything as the internet suggested. The second time I unplugged everything again since that worked the first time but it did not work the second time so I had to do a factory reset. I'm seriously, extremely upset.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I bought my Aquos in 2003 or 5 BEFORE they sold the name rights to Hisense (in 2015). REAL Sharp TVs are great. Sharp even sued Hisense because they did not like what they were doing to their name, according to a story on LiveWire. Google it, you can read it yourself. Whether or not the Hisense ones are crap is another story. But I feel I must stick up for the real Sharp. Their customer service was great and my Aquos is STILL working. It now has a cross on the picture, but you can only see it at night when it blacks out for a commercial and the like. It's probably repairable, but it doesn't bother me enough to call a repairman. It is 15 years old now. I love my Sharp and I will purchase a new one when they re-enter the US market. Don't know what they will be called, but these Sharps that were reviewed are not "real" Sharps.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Sharp had one of the best looking pictures we seen. Problem they don't last too long. Call Sharp for a repair, and they only want to sell you a refurbished TV for $500. So, after paying $1500 4 years ago, they only want to sell you someone else's problem for $500. To top it off they made us diagnose our own problem which took about a week of taking pictures of each HDMI, then antenna etc. Wasted time emailing back and forth when all we wanted from Sharp was someone to come out and fix it. Our old RCA TV lasted 16 years and was still working when we replaced it with this Sharp. Good Bye Sharp TVs forever.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Sharp Aquos, 65 inch is the worst junk of TV out there as far as I'm concerned! Bought it new, and within a few weeks had issues with the TV muting itself. After being off overnight, the next day when we turn on the TV and there's no sound. We called customer service right away and were told to unplug it for 60 seconds and plug it back in and give it a try. But offered no permanent fix, nor did they offer to send anyone out to look at our TV. And although the TV was only a few weeks old, they did not offer to swap it out. I felt really bad because not only had we just spend good money buying this TV, we were now left all alone without any help from Sharp. And to make it worse, I know first-hand how good customer service Samsung offers and I was now having buyer's remorse!

So after a year of unplugging that TV every other week, we were almost used to it and then one morning it wouldn't even turn on. We woke up one morning and it wouldn't power up/turn on. So after wasting more time calling Sharp customer service again, and not getting any help or advice. We checked with a local TV repair place and after spending $100 to have it check out, we were told it has a bad board and is not worth repairing. So we dumped it with the City e-waste and bought another Samsung! I love Samsung and we still have our old DLP Samsung from 15-20 years ago as the kids use if to their video game stuff in our loft.

We have only had to replace the bulb twice within those 15-20 years. The first time the bulb went out, we called Samsung and at that time our TV was 7-10 years old and Samsung sent someone out to our house and they changed the bulb and everything for FREE! So I must say, I will NEVER buy another Sharp TV, and we will always stick with Samsung! Sharp showed us NO love. :-(

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Bought 2 TVs from BJ's, about 4-5 months ago, they were Sharp 43" (at least I thought that). One was not installed until this week, opened the box and found the screen on TV was shattered, box was in perfect condition. It was past 90 days for BJ's and I was told to contact the manufacturer. I did that and they said that from pictures sent them could see the screen was damaged and it wasn't under warranty. They never asked for pictures of the box. I received a damaged TV and now I'm out the money spent. Do not purchase from this manufacturer.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Would not recommend, wish I had read reviews before purchase. Bought Sharp in the past, 25 years ago. Thought it was still a good product but have had nothing but problems with this one. Freezes, shuts off by itself, constantly has to be unplugged and reset. Contacted support, told to download program from computer and reprogram with 2.23 update, when that didn't work was told to call a repair shop, when I did I was told it would cost more to fix than tv was worth. Thanks for all your help Sharp. Next time I'll read the reviews.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I had bought my 60 inch Sharp TV in 2014 and the screen at the end of 2017 was distorting and I was resetting the TV and still couldn’t watch TV it would work then it would distort. So 2018 it became unbearable and I kept calling my cable company and they said it was the HDMI and I bought a new one. So the cable guy came to house told me the TV was shot. I contacted Sharp since I had it out for the trash it got even more damaged getting it outside sharp said nothing they can do. Don’t buy a Sharp TV it didn’t even last a full 4 years. You get what you pay for I am out $748. Lesson learned.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I bought Sharp TV 55 inch. The day one it has always loading issues and sometimes more windows blow on the TV. It runs for some time and starts loading and it struck over there. we need to switch off from the wall and wait some time and then re start it then it runs for some time about 40 minutes and again starts loading and struck. called customer care around 70 times but no response. they say escalated to higher team and will call in 24 hours and never calls. tired of this things.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Bought a "65" inch Smart TV made by Sharp on Nov. 26, 2017. On August 10 or 11,2018 I contacted Sharp about the TV. I first talked to someone at Walmart about the TV, & they told that their warranty was only good for 90 days & that Sharp had a (1) year warranty on the TV. So, I proceeded to contact them concerning this matter.

First, let me explain what was going on with the TV. Just watching then all of a sudden there were a big black spot that was in the middle of the TV & all that you could see was the sides of what was playing then we cut it off, then turned it back on it had stripes or lines in the TV and it had like a disfigured crack where it looked like something was going on internal. By this time contacted Sharp & they asked for pictures in which I sent & they proceeded to tell me that it had physical damage. What are you talking about? Physical how? We're watching TV & this happens. So, Sharp is not honoring the manufacturer warranty & I am out of a lot of money for buying this worthless piece of TV. To anyone who values your dollar do not buy a Sharp, Hisense or Aquos TV because it is not worth it. The warranty from them is not honored & from wherever or whomever you buy your TV from it is only warranted for 90 days. I thank you for your time.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Sharp and clear picture. The picture on this 60” big screen is phenomenal. Everyone comes over for NFL season! This TV is going on 6 years old with zero issues. It's user friendly too.

Original review: July 13, 2018

DO NOT BUY Sharp. I bought a high-end 70" Sharp Aquos for $$$. It had moderate use for 4 years, and then failed, power down, just as the 4 year Best Buy warranty ran out. Had to get it looked at by a TV repair company who told me the replacement grid for the LEDs would be at least $1,000. Not good enough. Reviews online say this is known issue, (in addition to the power board, a less expensive fix). I hear Hisense now own Sharp in the US. Unscrupulous practices trading of the previously good Sharp branding. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I bought a 60 inch Sharp Aquos in 2012. It was fine until yesterday. I was watching TV then all of sudden I heard a pop and seen a spark fall from the bottom of the TV and then the screen went black. I got cut the TV to see if it was on fire, it wasn’t. I cut it back on. The picture was back on but its lines going through the picture and it’s fuzz. I’m pissed because I paid $1k when I bought this piece of crap. My RCA flare screen I bought in 09 that’s in my bedroom is still working fine but this piece of ** that’s made by a so called better brand goes out after only 6 years.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I bought the device at Wal-Mart. It worked well at first. I received a prompt for an update. After I accepted it the TV would no longer connect to my phone. After several attempts to reach Sharp customer service, I was told repeatedly that the TV was not made to work with my phone and nothing will be done about it. Why is it that they allowed to get away with this?

Original review: July 9, 2018

I bought a 50" smart TV from The Brick on May 4, 2018 and it just quit working on July 9th. I was in the middle of a movie and it just shut down. Called The Brick and they give me Sharp's phone number then I call that number to find out that it is just Sharp branded and I would have to call the manufacturer so they give me that number which was not in service so I called back again. Finally got the right number 2 hours later and now I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for someone to contact me to set up a service call. I should not be dealing with this when the TV is just 2 months old. And how can Sharp not service this when it is carrying their name. I think they should have to stand behind its manufacturer or not it has their name.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Purchased a Sharp 2014 32" Color TV from Best Buy Model HRVeayA005846... Yesterday the picture went on this TV. Can hear sound but no picture... Menu should come up but cannot even get that. DO NOT BUY A SHARP TV unless you want to throw your money down the drain... And do not buy from Best Buy. They do not care!

Original review: June 26, 2018

In August last year I bought a very nice looking white Sharp Aquos LC-40LE275X TV and in May this year it already stopped working. I would watch TV and after about 45 minutes the TV would turn off and the LED light would flicker, after this I couldn't turn the TV back on. I brought it to Home Hub where I bought it and got it back after 1.5 week, they said it was repaired. I took it back home and after 45 minutes it had the exact same problem. I went back to Home Hub and told them what I thought about this as they clearly didn't check to see if the problem was solved or not before returning the TV to me.

After several complaints, I got a new TV of the same model as the previous TV was unfixable, they replaced the power unit, motherboard etc. but nothing helped. This was last week. Enjoying my new TV for a week now, and I have a problem again, the sound just goes off, then the TV turns off and back on. Replaced the HDMI cable to see if that was the problem but the problem remains. Sharp support desk in Thailand does nothing but asking to be patient. Be warned and do not buy Sharp.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I purchased a Sharp 50 inch TV from Best Buy in 2015. In 2016 the back panel went out. This cannot be repaired. Good thing I had 5 year extended warranty. My Sharp TV was replaced with a Sharp Roku TV by the Geek Squad. I was told this was a better a model. By 2018 back panel again!! This time I was told my insurance was no good since my TV had been replaced. I did not have buy another extended warranty. No wonder manufacturer warranty is only a year!! And yes BEST BUY STILL SELLS SHARP TVS!!! What a ripoff!! Ooops my bad!!! I should have read the reviews before I purchased anything. Also buyer beware of 1 year warranties! Realize that the manufacturer, Best Buy and Geek insurance know about this problem... now the consumers know too!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have an old box TV, it is probably 15-20 years old and still going strong. In today's throw away world, this is such an oddity. It was top of the line when it came out! It competes nicely with the modern models. Only thing that is hard is how much it weighs! I love reviewing products and reviewing products I own is great! Thank you!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I bought my Mom a Sharp TV, for Christmas last year. Almost immediately, it would stall, and start a ringing sound. It would not power off. You have to unplug the TV, and it resets it... I notified Sharp but got nothing but the runaround... PEOPLE, DO NOT BUY SHARP TVS!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I wrote a review in April 2018 about how my tv keeps freezing up and sometimes won't even turn on. Today it developed a horizontal purple line through the middle. I have had it less than a year and it is truly a piece of junk. It will go in the garbage before I pay for repairs and will never buy another one. I have a Sony that is 10+ years old and has not had any problems at all.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Purchased a 70 inch Sharp Aquos Smart TV 2 years ago, and while it consistently would freeze up, does not support many of the popular apps, it just died! $2,200 down the drain! Extremely disappointed and will never buy any Sharp products!

Original review: April 20, 2018

So far we have this SHARP TV 5 months and it keeps freezing up, turning off on its own and no response from the remote control. 4 Incident tickets have been created. After the second ticket two technicians came out and replaced both PCBs. It worked again for about a month and then problems came back, gradually getting worse. Unplugging is the only thing that helped to turn the tv on again. I emailed SHARP/HiSense and told SHARP to come pick up the TV, give us our money back, diagnose it on their own time. SHARP responded that we should do a new update from an empty flash drive after I had called to follow up on their lack of response on my email. I followed these instructions and it only made it worse. Since doing the update, the TV no longer operates for more than 2 minutes.

After that I called SHARP again, telling them we have no confidence in them getting the TV fixed. SHARP’s response was that we needed to “hard reboot” the TV first before they could help us... After 4 more phone calls to SHARP and one more week of waiting, they promised again that a technician would come out to diagnose the TV, but that they need proof of purchase in order to send out a technician. The TV has been registered and I sent the proof of purchase before they created the second incident number. After sending the proof of purchase again, SHARP told us the logo from Best Buy is missing from the proof of purchase... It appears SHARP is trying to come up with excuses to not resolve a customer’s issues.

Meanwhile, even pulling the plug does not work anymore. It no longer will even turn on! According to SHARP, if the TV cannot be fixed a refurbished TV will be provided, but my warranty will not be extended in that case. I can sadly only conclude from my experience that SHARP does not care if your TV has not been working for 5 months! I paid $545 for a “new” TV that worked for about a week. Needless to say, I am disappointed in this atrocious customer service. We will certainly not be buying a SHARP product ever again, and we will make sure to discourage everyone we know from buying anything from them as well.

Sharp TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sharp is a pioneer in the LCD TV technology and continues to lead the field by making large LCD panels and the AQUOS series.

• Vibrant color detail: Sharp's Quattron technology incorporates 33 percent more sub-pixels than a standard HDTV for a total of eight million sub-pixels; plus, its Aquomotion 480 ensures crystal-clear images even during high-motion scenes.

• Lots of content: Sharp's Smart TVs are loaded with apps, so you're never far away from your favorite content.

• Multiple ports: With multiple HDMI inputs, plus a USB connection and an optical audio output, connecting devices is a snap on many of Sharp's models.

• Wallpaper mode: Even when the TV is turned off, it's beautiful. Turn the TV into a photo frame or a work of art when it is switched off.

• Built-in audio: Two built-in speakers on the bottom of the sets deliver 20W of simulated surround-sound audio, plus the models are compatible with Sharp's sound bar.

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs