1.73/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 23, 2018

448 Sharp TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

Purchased a 70 inch Sharp Aquos Smart TV 2 years ago, and while it consistently would freeze up, does not support many of the popular apps, it just died! $2,200 down the drain! Extremely disappointed and will never buy any Sharp products!

Original review: April 20, 2018

So far we have this SHARP TV 5 months and it keeps freezing up, turning off on its own and no response from the remote control. 4 Incident tickets have been created. After the second ticket two technicians came out and replaced both PCBs. It worked again for about a month and then problems came back, gradually getting worse. Unplugging is the only thing that helped to turn the tv on again. I emailed SHARP/HiSense and told SHARP to come pick up the TV, give us our money back, diagnose it on their own time. SHARP responded that we should do a new update from an empty flash drive after I had called to follow up on their lack of response on my email. I followed these instructions and it only made it worse. Since doing the update, the TV no longer operates for more than 2 minutes.

After that I called SHARP again, telling them we have no confidence in them getting the TV fixed. SHARP’s response was that we needed to “hard reboot” the TV first before they could help us... After 4 more phone calls to SHARP and one more week of waiting, they promised again that a technician would come out to diagnose the TV, but that they need proof of purchase in order to send out a technician. The TV has been registered and I sent the proof of purchase before they created the second incident number. After sending the proof of purchase again, SHARP told us the logo from Best Buy is missing from the proof of purchase... It appears SHARP is trying to come up with excuses to not resolve a customer’s issues.

Meanwhile, even pulling the plug does not work anymore. It no longer will even turn on! According to SHARP, if the TV cannot be fixed a refurbished TV will be provided, but my warranty will not be extended in that case. I can sadly only conclude from my experience that SHARP does not care if your TV has not been working for 5 months! I paid $545 for a “new” TV that worked for about a week. Needless to say, I am disappointed in this atrocious customer service. We will certainly not be buying a SHARP product ever again, and we will make sure to discourage everyone we know from buying anything from them as well.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 14, 2018

Purchased in November 2014 or '15. January 2018 our screen started blacking out in left lower corner. We have taken meticulous care of this television. Now the television will no longer turn on. We have troubleshooted multiple times now with no resolution of the problem. Sharp customer service has been less than helpful. The company lacks integrity when taking any responsibility for the poor long term quality of their product. It is past the three year extended warranty. I'm shocked that a $1200 purchase would need to be replaced shortly after 3 or 4 years.

This is not the first Sharp product we have had fail in a short period of time. I will avoid this name brand from now on. Feeling victimized by the Sharp company and no longer trust their products. If others plan on purchasing a Sharp I would get the longest warranty available and then have little to no expectations to it being honored in a satisfactory way. I have enjoyed the quality of the picture. The television is great while it is working. Sorry Sharp. :/

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had purchased a 42 inch LED TV 3 years ago. T 3 Years and 1 month it stopped working. Sharp wants nothing to do with it. The quality of Sharp products are ripping the consumer off. I do not recommend Sharp to anyone. I also do not recommend The BEST BUY extended warranty if you purchase a 2 year warranty the first year is from the day you purchase the product even if the product comes with a 1 year warranty. You are paying the 2 year price for only 1 year another ripoff. Common Criminals taking advantage of the consumer.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We have been having issues with our tv (Sharp Aquos Smart TV 4K Quattron+) for a few months after purchasing it less than 2 years ago. We are not able to connect to the internet and then we have been experiencing a lot of flickering all over the screen so we are unable to watch tv. It’s started as a black line on the bottom of the screen that would go away and reappear a few minutes later then, we are able to stop the flickering for a few minutes when we turn it off and then turn it back on but then it starts again. We paid over $1,000 for this tv and it’s worthless. I’ve paid way less for other tv’s that have lasted me over 7 years and counting.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharp TVs?

Original review: March 15, 2018

I have an older (2007?) Sharp 70 inch tv and the "smart central" is freezing up and I have to do a hard reboot (unplug while still on). Helps for about 2 minutes then freezes again. Called customer service and they’re trying to tell me I have the wrong model number, no it's the right one. I even checked the back of tv again! First thing they wanted to do was for me to "reset" the tv. Nope, sorry. I have all the picture quality settings customized and they are a lot. They talk like they really hate their job and are having to grunt a little to help you. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE! Can you say SAMSUNG!!! Never again.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I bought this Sharp 55 inch Aquos 4K LED Smart TV on a Black Friday sale and the TV was initially a great buy. The picture is beautiful and has smart apps pre-loaded and even has a cast option on it but one day the TV volume just started jumping up to level 50 on its own and at first I thought I accidentally touched the remote or something but it kept doing it. I have been searching the internet for a resolution to the problem but nothing has helped so far and due to buying it on Black Friday I can't take it back and I didnt opt for the protection plan. It's too expensive to just throw away so I'm hoping there will be a firmware update that will resolve the issue.

Original review: March 5, 2018

My son gave me a Sharp 50 inch smart TV for Christmas 2015. It worked just fine until February 2017 when the screen went dark and the sound remained - 14 months after purchase at Best Buy. He did not get the extended warranty. Only the factory 12 month warranty. Because of that I took it to an electronic shop for repair. The owner said it was the back panel and the TV was irreparable. He also said he had seen a few of these same models with the same problem. That should not happen. I also saw many reviews of the same TV and problem online.

I spoke to multiple people at Best Buy including the managers at the Best Buy it was purchased at and they all referred me to call Sharp. I talked to multiple people at the Sharp line including managers who all said it was not their problem just as Best Buy did. I found it interesting that Best Buy stopped carrying this model in early 2016. I see so many reviews out there about these sharp TVs yet there is no recall or responsibility taken by either company. I also sent letters to each of the corporate offices. No response from either one which was no surprise. I was very disappointed with Best Buy as well as the Sharp company. They are selling a defective model.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We purchased a 72" Sharp Aquos TV for $1500 and after less than a year and a half it wouldn't turn on. We did the hard restart like everyone else and when the tv came on it had a very red, distorted picture with vertical lines on the left side of the screen. Called Sharp as this seems to be a common problem after a couple years and they told us to do the hard restart again. That didn't work. They told me since my tv was over a year old they wouldn't do anything about it. I have a Mitsubishi 70" going on 14 years now. Had an issue with it after 4 years or so and they fixed it with no questions asked as it was a problem a lot of people were having.

If I pay $1500 for a brand new tv it A) should last longer than 14 months and B) have some sort of customer service that actually cares about their customers and not just tell them there is nothing they can do. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING A COMPANY CAN DO! They are choosing not to help their customers. For this reason I WILL NEVER purchase anything from Sharp Electronics and their subsidiaries. Plus, I will be contacting my lawyer to see about a class action lawsuit as this is a mounting issue for Sharp consumers.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Two weeks ago, my 60" Sharp Aquos tv started power cycling (turning on and off ad infinitum until unplugged) randomly after being used in the morning. I contacted Sharp customer service the next day as I had missed the cut off for their hours and talked to two service reps via online chat so I could have a written record to refer back to when trying to fix the tv. The first rep told me that it was an update issue and that all I needed to do was download the update and install it to the tv.

That failed. The tv wouldn't stay on long enough to recognize the USB drive, so I tried customer service again. "Wendy" informed me that I was using a too-large USB drive and that they recommended a 1-4gb drive. I found a smaller USB drive and tried the update again; again, the tv power cycled too rapidly to read the drive. Wendy and I went through this four different times until I realized I was not going to get another suggestion and that this individual was merely working through a manual.

I gave up and handed it off to a family member to solve. He called the customer service line and was given the same information - download the update and the tv will update. So, we tried again and failed again. This time, we demanded a tech come look at the tv or at least refer us to an authorized repair shop in town. Sharp referred us to a repair shop that has a one star review. We scheduled the repair anyway. On the day of the repair, the technician called to inform us that he had another, more important job and if that was okay with us that he cancelled to go to his other job but he would research the problem and call us.

We waited over a week with no call. I'm only mentioning the repair company because this is an authorized repair shop promoted by Sharp. We took the tv down to a local repair shop and received word today that the problem was not an upgrade issue. The motherboard is out, which is absurd on an 18 month old tv. I'd like to think this is a fluke of an experience, but I'll not be repeating it with another Sharp product.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Bought Sharp TV on 21st January 2017 thinking it would be a reliable product. Unfortunately not the case. 13 months to the day, 20th February 2018, a short time after turning on TV we lost the picture and were looking at a black screen with the sound only. The next day, contacted Technical Support, to be informed that it would have to be collected and we would have to pay £69.00 plus the cost of a new picture board. This is certainly not the reliable product we thought we were purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Same story. Bought Sharp 70 inch in July 2015. Now turned on. Nothing. Like all the rest, had trouble in beginning would not turn off. Had to reboot a lot. Now on repair shop. After reading all these reviews wondering should I just trash it. It will cost 350 to fix. Wow can’t believe this, never will I purchase a Sharp product.

Updated on 03/02/2018: Update on Sharp 70 inch, wrote a review a couple of weeks ago Had Sharp 70 for nearly 2 yrs to the day, screen went black no sound, took it in for repair. Motherboard replaced 340 dollars. Barely used it this week, worked fine, today turned on now sound, screen black, wow what a disappointment. Ready to give up on this junk, still under warranty from repair shop, not going to invest anymore into this horrible Sharp TV.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We bought a 50" Sharp Smart TV in November 2017 for our beach condo. We set it up and mounted it on the wall in December. It worked for two days and the picture went out. I turned it off, it came back on, and then the sound and picture went out. We called Sharp and they said they would sent the part to a repairman and send him out. We waited almost a month and no one showed up. We called Sharp again and they said they would send another repairman. Our rental agent met the new repairman at our condo, and after two hours, he said he couldn't repair it. We called Sharp again, and they said we had to box up the TV and send it back to the factory. We live 300 miles from our condo, we will have no TV at our rental condo, and our condo cannot be rented without TV. We asked for a replacement, and the Sharp rep said that is impossible. I will never buy another Sharp product!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Bought this TV December 2017. (5) days after having the TV it made this high pitch noise and shut off. The TV turned back on. A few hours later happened again. I then got on the phone with Sharp customer service. They had me troubleshoot it. We did that great. In less than 24 hours TV did it again. Back on the phone again. They have me troubleshoot it again and say they were send a tech out to look at it. They say, "The tech will call you in a few days." A week goes by nothing. Again on the phone with them they call the tech. The tech finally calls. Says, "Oh they're sending me the parts." Mind you the tech hasn't seen the TV. He say, "Should have it in a few days. I'll call you."

Few days goes by my husband calls him. Says, "Oh I got it. I'll be over Monday morning," Husband says great. This is Friday ok. Monday comes nothing, Tuesday nothing so my husband calls. They call the tech. He says he got into an accident and forgot to call. So set up another appointment. 4 days goes by the guy finally shows. Fixes the 2 boards and says it's all set. 2 hours later the TV does it again so we call the guy, he troubleshoots it and still 4 days later the TV is still doing it.

The repair guy says, "I can't do anything. Call customer care." Call customer care and they are useless. They say, "We can send the guy out again." Nope that won't work. We say, "Send a new TV and take this one." He says, "We take it but you have to ship it to us at your cost then we will look at it and if it's bad we will replace it with a refurbished one but that will be 7 to 10 days to complete." Meanwhile I have no TV that I paid an arm and leg for and this is what I get to deal with. As of Today still no results. Please save yourself the trouble. Don't buy this TV or any TV from Sharp. Very upsetting.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I bought a Sharp TV at Tesco 10 days ago and it's nothing but disappointing. Tesco gave it great reviews, blamed Virgin media for the problems. They (Virgin media) have been out three times to help fix things and it is now obvious the problems are in the TV. Incompatible volume control with Virgin, faulty sound in the TV, only one volume level. TV screen becomes pale grey/white if you sit at 45 degree angle making it only viewable for one person sitting right in front of it. I want Tesco to take it back but they are making a big deal of the fact the box has been discarded. These TVs are prehistoric, should never be on the market.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

So disappointed in the purchase I made at Best Buy on this when seen. Beautiful top of the line Sharp, hd, ultra 4k tv... What a pic. All the bells and whistles. And for it less than 2 years later. Screen disappears? Maybe the motherboard. I have 2 Dynex. Cheaper hd tvs. 10years no problem...NOW WHAT? NO $$ FOR NEW LIVING ROOM TV... SO DISAPPOINTED. UNREAL.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Sharp 55" 4k led smart tv - Bought this TV in November. Ever since it was opened, it constantly freezes while using smart features. Remote randomly stops working. The only way to remedy this situation, is to unplug the TV and plug it back in. Will not buy Sharp products ever again. 0/5 star. STAY AWAY FROM SHARP.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Sharp Aquos LC-50UB30U in Nov 2015. Picture went dark in Dec 2017. Tried the hard reset and it worked. Now it is Jan 2018 and picture is out again and hard reset does not work. After my experience and reading the experiences of others, I will not buy another Sharp TV. Much too expensive for the time it works.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I purchased a new Roku TV at Best Buy. It was the worst TV I have ever owned, and it was not cheap. At about $480.00 this TV did not last very long after the 1 year MFG. warranty expired. I paid over $400.00 in repair bills. The LED lights went out along with the T-con board and the main board. It was never something that could be repaired by troubleshooting, and always a defective part that was expensive to replace. The repairs would never last too long before something else would go.

Currently, the TV has no sound or picture and I lost $880.00. I finally saw that Sharp has an F rating with the BBB and numerous similar complaints. When I called their corporate offices they acted like they would help in the beginning, and sounded like they cared, but in the end they just brushed me off and handed the case over to call centers that had no authority to do anything even though this TV was obviously either defective or very cheaply made. This company has zero degree of customer satisfaction, and I would never buy another Sharp product of any kind again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Have had this brand for last 10 years x 2 TVs. Great picture on both and would not hesitate to purchase this brand when updating a size.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

This 55 inch owes us nothing!?? It's been running nearly 24/7??? 11 yrs not one problem? 12 inch dark spot appeared on top of screen this week. Feared it would spark and quit... nope, just had power keep going off... quit! Great! Unfortunately Sharp no longer owns itself, name kept. Now Sharp not even compared??? On Amazon & others. Bad sign! So Samsung, LG & 1 other up & coming. Too bad. Such a great TV. Had to replace with Samsung... delivery this week???

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Purchased an AQUOIS TV 55 inch via HSN and 31 days later the brand new TV that they advertised stopped working (Blue Screen). Promptly called Sony Warranty Company (Hisense). I was given a # and waited for 3 weeks (No response). Called back and advised I needed to send in 4 pics of the entire TV (We did) and mailed with a receipt from HSN (showing Flex payments). Called again for update and advised TV must be on when you take pictures. We did and emailed to the warranty department.

Today I received a call that because I am paying via installments the TV is not owned by me and therefore they cannot work on the TV and HSN is responsible. Called HSN and they told me, "No, you own the product and they cant do anything." Called company back and three people later, rep., supervisor and Manager they cant do anything because I have not finished paying for the item. What in the world are they talking about.

I explained that if you buy a product via a credit card and you pay monthly on the product you own it, right? They didn't see it that way. They are escalating to another level. The issue is this. There is nothing in writing legally that states you must have finished making payments on a product before they can fix it. I think they are avoiding paying for this product as there are several complaints of this TV not working and a blue screen. At the moment, I have a product at my 82 year old mother's house that is not working. I have never felt so helpless and feel as though there is no recourse but to buy another TV and lose the money we spent for an early Christmas present. Beware of Sharp products their warranty process is atrocious.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I did a lot of research and this TV had all the options I wanted when I was making my choice. I wanted a certain size and features like a non-distorted picture when viewing it from the side. I wanted a brand that had a very good reputation and still fit my budget. I bought my Sharp TV in 2008 and it's still going strong. We came close to replacing it because the picture was starting to look fuzzy instead of clear, but didn't have to when we changed from cable to satellite service. Just changing TV providers was all it took, the picture was as clear as the new TV's that are out there today.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have had this TV for 4 years now and have never had any sort of problem. The TV itself fits any type of decor. It is easy to operate and the menu is easy to navigate. The picture has been flawless too. I am thrilled with my choice.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

My Sharp Aquos is a great television. Easy for me to operate, has clear picture, and nice features. I've had my large flat screen Sharp TV for about 10 years now and never any problem with it at all. It's even been moved long distances more than once.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Sharp Aquos LC-55UB30U: I'm giving Sharp a very generous 1-star review for the piece of trash 55 inch LED Smart TV that I bought at Best Buy in Manchester just a year and a half ago. About two months ago, my TV screen began intermittently showing black and white lights followed by black and colored, horizontal lines moving up and down the screen which gradually became worse until the television was no longer viewable. I called Sharp and explained the problem with the TV and the fact that I had it professionally installed and trouble-shot by my installer who recommended I call Sharp to see what they would do for me.

Sharp's answer was for me to call a local tv repair company that they would recommend at MY expense. Are you kidding me? I ask them if it is unreasonable for me to expect my 55 inch LED Smart TV to only last 1 year and a half? Is that what I can expect of Sharp products? Of course they put me on hold to think about it and ultimately they offered to escalate my issue. I thanked him very much and waited for a call, because, silly me, I actually thought I got through to them. Two weeks later I called back and was told that the matter was still being reviewed and that is handled by a different area. I asked if I could talk to someone from that area.

He put me on hold again and then came back to offer me the number of a TV repair company in my area that could come and look at the machine - again - at MY expense. Seriously? After many apologies and several phone calls, much time on hold with their annoying piano music, which I swear is designed to get people to give up waiting and hang up, ultimately, this was all they offered me. I said, "Thank you very much; I will not do that for what is obviously a poor quality product (backed-up by other poor reviews on Yelp). I will just post my review and thoughts online if that is the best you can do for me. Is that all you can do for me?" He said, "Yes!" Unbelievable. No thank you Sharp!

When preparing to post a review on Yelp, I learned that I'm not the only person who has experienced this very same issue with a Sharp LED TV. The symptoms were identical. How disappointing that Sharp will not be honest about that and stand by their product. To add insult to injury, I see that Sharp has a BBB rating of F! I guess that says it all. I learned a very good lesson at least - next time I will read more product reviews BEFORE buying a product based on a well-known name.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Bought Sharp Aquos 32" LED TV (SHPLC32LE265M) from Singer Lifestyle exhibition, Sri Lanka. (https://www.singersl.com/). I paid LKR 32,000 and could use only around 1.5 years of time. Singer service centre says repair will cost LKR 21000 and need to replace PCB. Sharp is a Garbage product, do not buy it and never recommend to any other.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We bought a 50" Sharp TV from Best Buy on a Black Friday. Deal still out the door. After taxes we paid $630 and 2 years later exactly from the date of purchase our TV stops showing the image. The sound is fine. No alert. No indication. Just boom instantly stops working. We took it to Best Buy. They told us our warranty was old now and that their "Geek Squad" would need to diagnose it and send out. It could cost $35-300 dollars. We said no. Then we called the manufacturer and they pretty much told us we were sold. I will never again purchase another Sharp item or anything from Best Buy again. These TVs are crap. Very unhappy customer.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

My husband and I purchased this t.v. from Best Buy not even 2 years ago. (I'm holding the receipt in my hand) and yesterday I turned it on and got sound but no picture, the screen would not even show volume, or input source. After finding the receipt, I called Best Buy Geek Squad and they informed me it was the LED light in the back of the t.v. which would cost more to replace than the t.v. itself. I decided to call the Manufacturer, SHARP.

After being transferred and on hold several times, I was told they only have a one yr warranty and cannot cover the LED light. So... I now have to purchase a new 50 inch led t.v. that I do not have the money for. When I spend over 300 dollars on a tv on Black Friday, that is actually already discounted from a higher price, I would expect it to last longer than 2 years! Moral of the story, don't buy Sharp TVs and always purchase the store warranty because they don't back up their products, because they clearly know they don't make them to last.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Only gave one star because there is no zero. This thing is a piece of crap. Bought it at Best Buy in February of this year (still under warranty), and Sharp and Best Buy keep passing the buck to each other. Spent 10 days on the phone fighting with them and now I give up. Will never buy another Sharp product or shop at Best Buy again...

Sharp TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sharp is a pioneer in the LCD TV technology and continues to lead the field by making large LCD panels and the AQUOS series.

• Vibrant color detail: Sharp's Quattron technology incorporates 33 percent more sub-pixels than a standard HDTV for a total of eight million sub-pixels; plus, its Aquomotion 480 ensures crystal-clear images even during high-motion scenes.

• Lots of content: Sharp's Smart TVs are loaded with apps, so you're never far away from your favorite content.

• Multiple ports: With multiple HDMI inputs, plus a USB connection and an optical audio output, connecting devices is a snap on many of Sharp's models.

• Wallpaper mode: Even when the TV is turned off, it's beautiful. Turn the TV into a photo frame or a work of art when it is switched off.

• Built-in audio: Two built-in speakers on the bottom of the sets deliver 20W of simulated surround-sound audio, plus the models are compatible with Sharp's sound bar.

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs