2.21/5

494 Sharp TVs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Sharp I believe is a far superior brand than others. I have had Sharp TV's for over 30 years. The picture quality is 2nd to none. I finally replaced my old Sharp 32' LCD that I had for 17 years with no problems. I bought a 50" 4k HD smart tv with Roku included. There are other brands that come close to Sharp but are more costly. I'll stick with the brand I know best. SHARP!

Original review: March 14, 2019

The picture is great. The color of the TV is great. The sound of the TV is wonderful. The TV size fits perfectly on the wall or on a stand. The TV is nice and slim. The base is a sturdy stand. This brand of TV has multiple sizes and a large range of prices. Good brand name. The TV has a lot of function and a lot of different apps. This TV is able to connect to the internet. The TV connect to Netflix, Youtube, Hulu. We love our TV.

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have a 55 in 4k Sharp television at under $200 from Target. It was an excellent value - excellent picture - easy to hook up and overall I am pleased with the production and the output of the picture. Crisp colors and beautiful view. Not too heavy - very light. Easy to install legs. I love it and I'm very happy with my order! This is also my second Sharp television, my other one was a 50-inch 1080p and it too has excellent quality - and it still works! I just upgraded.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I bought my Aquos in 2003 or 5 BEFORE they sold the name rights to Hisense (in 2015). REAL Sharp TVs are great. Sharp even sued Hisense because they did not like what they were doing to their name, according to a story on LiveWire. Google it, you can read it yourself. Whether or not the Hisense ones are crap is another story. But I feel I must stick up for the real Sharp. Their customer service was great and my Aquos is STILL working. It now has a cross on the picture, but you can only see it at night when it blacks out for a commercial and the like. It's probably repairable, but it doesn't bother me enough to call a repairman. It is 15 years old now. I love my Sharp and I will purchase a new one when they re-enter the US market. Don't know what they will be called, but these Sharps that were reviewed are not "real" Sharps.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have an old box TV, it is probably 15-20 years old and still going strong. In today's throw away world, this is such an oddity. It was top of the line when it came out! It competes nicely with the modern models. Only thing that is hard is how much it weighs! I love reviewing products and reviewing products I own is great! Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sharp TVs?

Original review: May 23, 2019

Do not purchase a SHARP TV thinking it is the same SHARP quality TV from the past! I see all the 5 STAR posts of people talking about their old SHARP TV's lasting for over 30 years. It is a new age and time done. Gone of good quality SHARP TV products. Hisense owns the SHARP name! In July 2015, Hisense bought a Mexico facility from Sharp for $23.7 million alongside rights to use the Sharp brand on televisions sold in North and South America.

This is my horrible "Sharp TV" experience. I bought a Sharp TV Dec 20th, 2017 from Sam's Club that functioned properly until July 8th 2018. Just shy of 7 months old a solid flickering line appeared across the lower 1/4 portion of the screen. I filed my warranty claim on 8/1/2018 and received my replacement TV on January 4th, 2019, A 5 month 3 Day Warranty Swap process and also a loss of 5 months usage of my TV and a 5 month loss on my 1 year warranty coverage on a TV that I purchased for $828.00 1 year ago as of Dec 2018.

So on Jan 4th 2018, I received the delivery to my front doorway the replacement TV, used or re manufactured with a manufactured date of Sept 25, 2017 just like the warranty info states. Again I hung the big TV on the wall once again and got to enjoy it until May 2nd 2019 when I turned it on to only get a grey screen and sound only. No picture and a very scripted, "Sorry your warranty expired Dec 20th, 2018. And even if I could help you Sir, the replacement tv is only covered for 90 days. So, sorry and good luck Sir!" Bottom line is "Good Luck" if you purchase a SHARP post 2015 TV. Sharp now is only a junk Hisense TV with a formerly good products name.

SHARP is NOW Hisense Junk. In theory I was almost able to enjoy my purchase for just a few days less of 12 months of my 17 months of ownership. At $828 the TV cost me $2.27 a day to own and use for almost a full years time. I won't buy that again. So who still makes a TV that will last me maybe 5 years? Please let me know.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I bought this TV at Sam's Club, about 18 mos. ago. After a while, the remote stopped working, so I bought another one on Ebay. Then that one stopped working, so I bought another one. They all have done the same thing: They start using batteries like crazy (replaced every 3 days) and then they finally quit. If you look at the lens end of a remote control with a phone camera, you can see if it's transmitting or not and these remotes all transmit 100% of the time. To top it off, this TV is made by Hisense, so instead of owning up to their deceptive marketing practices (I would have never bought a Hisense TV), they sent me to Hisense customer service. So far, I haven't found a single universal remote that will do more than turn it on/off, so I guess that I'm just screwed.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I purchased the TV on 4/18/19 and never got to enjoy it for even one second. I set my TV up, plugged it in, and ran an update!!!! That is all I was allowed to do before it wound up in the green screen of death!!!!!! Never! I repeat! Never, buy a Sharp TV again!!!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Purchased in 2017 December, TV broke down 5 times within 1.5 years. The main electronics board, HDMI connectivity and God knows what other boards were replaced by the technicians. Right after fixing, still has the same freaking problem. When you turn off, it won’t turn off. Once you go into android mode, the wifi won’t get connected, apps would not launch. Then I have to factory reset the stupid ** TV. What a load of crap, absolutely a waste of money! The official technician don’t even know what is the issue, their job is to just replace the boards. After 2 years, I will run out of warranty, USELESS!!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I will never purchase Sharp TV again. We have 6 TVs and this is the first time we bought a Sharp to add to another room in our room. It stopped working after 2 years and 2 months. Customer service was no help, insulting actually. Didn’t listen to the issue. Just said we must have damaged it if it stopped working. Until I actually insisted that they listen did they say we needed a new panel but would have to pay to have it looked at and replaced. Worst TV. Will never buy this brand again. Should not have to fix a TV in this short period of time. We have had TVs for 7-10 Years. Glad my husband know she how to repair TVs. But we should not have to. Will never recommend a Sharp TV. Rating would be minus 0.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Brand must have reliability behind it. Simple interface, room to expand and quality image and sound not just price. We use consumer reports to check for all these things as independent testing is key. You definitely have to steer clear of off brands as from experience they often go out of business leaving you holding the bag.

Original review: March 15, 2019

This is the Aquos which has 4 colors instead of the usual 3. Most excellent. Replaced a 200 lb Sony Vega that died in 5 yrs. Huge upgrade for us. Stunning color! And we got a deal on it to boot. So good they didn't put it in with the other screens.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We bought this 32 Inch LCD Sharp over 10 years ago. It still works and looks great. It works great for streaming videos from Amazon Prime in 1080P, or with a DVD Blu-ray player. Absolutely fabulous for an 11+ year old TV.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Great customer support, excellent picture quality. Sharp actually replaced our set free when we started experiencing pixel burnout. The replacement set (42”) is now about 12 years old and still has excellent picture quality, especially in HD.

Original review: March 6, 2019

It has no buttons on the tv at all other than the Roku remote. If you lose the remote, your tv will not work. The screen has a white spot on the screen or maybe that is what they call a pixel. I will make sure that I never buy a tv like this or another Sharp Roku tv.

Original review: March 5, 2019

We acquired our Sharp 40" tv as a warranty replacement for our Samsung 40" tv in the 4th year of the extended warranty. Sharp smart tv is joined with Roku which we do not use and would not have chosen. The remote does not sync with our Dish DVR. It is a good picture though.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I was gifted this tv by a friend who was moving and wasn't able to take it with him. It serves it purpose for the most part, but I would like to get a new, larger, and much better tv. Unfortunately, I can't afford one right now.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Like MANY others... Poor product. I bought the 70 inch Aquos wanting that exciting experience. Complete failure. TV quits working every year. Luckily I have had ABC Warehouse warranty fixing it for 5 years. We're approaching the end of that warranty and I am looking to replace it. TV flat out sucks.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Hello. Just reading some of the reviews here. It's kind of sad that Sharp could just get away with taking people hard earn money by selling defective products and there's no justice for us the customer. 2014 I purchased the higher end 70 in Quattron one of the last series at H. H. Gregg. Just as they went belly up and closed my problem started just like most people here with the blinking screen then my volume controls max out to 100 on its own point blank. (Sharp) sold all of us junk not to mention I paid $3200 for a TV lightly used to go bad under 5 yrs. Let all band together so this can't keep happening. We need to make a stand.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

If I could rate them negative I would but 1 is the lowest. If you have a warranty issue they run you in circles instead of getting the problem fixed. Worst waste of money. TV stop working a month after buying. After using for two weeks it forced me to do an update and froze on smart and nobody could make a decision that you can talk to. So steer away from Hisense or Sharp TV.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My Sharp 60" LC-60EQ10U started malfunctioning during the holidays with scrambly horizontal lines that made the TV unwatchable. Being that the TV is just over 3 years old I contacted Sharp and described the problem in detail to see if they thought it was fixable. I was told I needed to take several pictures of the screen so that they could see what was happening. I sent them several pictures as well as a video and weeks later they keep passing my "file" around different departments saying your case is being reviewed. I was not looking for any handout, just a professional assessment of what my options were. Perhaps getting it repaired by a local vendor. I have still received no good feedback and I can see their strategy is clearly to stall in hopes the customer gives up. It worked. I give up and will never own another Sharp product again. AVOID THIS COMPANY and certainly AVOID their CUSTOMER DISSERVICE DEPT.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

On 11/23/17, I purchased a 55” Sharp LC-55P6000U flat screen television. In February of 2018, a message popped up on the screen that I needed to update the firmware on the TV. The message could not be removed from the screen until I clicked on “Update”. Once the update completed, the TV no longer worked. The red power button would come on and off, but nothing ever came up on the screen. I contacted Sharp (Hisense now) and they had me mail the television to them to be repaired. Three (3) months after being purchased new!!!! I received the television back and it appeared to be working ok.

Fast forward to a week ago (thirteen months after purchase), I get the same “update” message on the screen that will not go away until you click on “Update”. I clicked on update and guess what… Now the red light comes on and off, but again, nothing on the screen. I have since called Hisense three (3) different times and been told by someone who speaks English as a second language (difficult to understand) that after they have asked their two (2), yes I said TWO, tech support questions, they tell me that the TV needs repair but is now out of warranty! I am SOOO glad that I spent my hard earned money on a TV that lasted a whopping 13 months and needs to be repaired for a SECOND time. Bad play, Sharp, bad play! You have lost a customer for life now! I know that in the grand scheme of the consumer world my little purchase here and there means nothing, but as a company based on the feedback of your customers, it should.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought a 55 inch Sharp tv in 2017 in November and today January 8, 2019 the TV no longer works. I was forced to upgrade and the TV. I tried turning it off and then it kept reading upgrade. I did the upgrade and my tv stopped working. Called customer service with my issue of their product and their reply was “The tv in your area are no longer covered”. Needless to say I will NEVER purchase another Sharp product.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I Purchased the flagship of sharp TVs. It will not stay connected to the wireless Internet after many attempts to connect it. I have found it to continue to disconnects. This is a very unreliable company and the remote also doesn't seem to work in concert with the TV. I would highly recommend if you're looking at a TV turn away from Sharp's TV, especially if it's their high-end model. Not a smart use of anyone's hard earned money!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have had this TV for 2 years and all of a sudden it stopped working. I can hear it but the screen is completely black. When I called Sharp they said it's the backlight. Why has the backlight gone out on a TV that is 2 years old? I have a Samsung that's 10 years old and still shows a perfect picture. I will never buy another Sharp television.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

TV constantly freezes while on Netflix or other apps. Worst TV I've ever brought. Save your money and buy something better. I'm going to contact the company as well since I have a Walmart protection plan. I have only had the TV for a month.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Do not buy Sharp televisions. They have been known to have backlight issues. I purchased a 50 inch Sharp LC-50LB370U. I also purchased the Best Buy Geek Squad 2 year warranty. Needless to say immediately after the second year, the backlight went out on the television. I would turn on the television and the screen would go black. The on and off light would blink red 7 times then turn blue. I researched this and found multiple websites complaining about the backlight. I contacted Sharp customer service and they advised me that this was the issue and they could not do anything since my television was out of warranty. I then contacted numerous television repair companies and they each quoted in excess of $300. Needless to say I will be purchasing another television and it will never be Sharp.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Had less than 2 years and television blew out. Contacted Sharp and was told they discontinued that brand and for me to send that television to their office along with $850 and they will send me a refurbished one. I told them I already spent over $2,000 so why would I spend more money on a television and lose out on the monies I've already spent.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Twice now, within the last week, I will be watching NETFLIX or HULU on my Smart Roku TV that I purchased less than one year ago and it will just disconnect from the internet. My other devices will still be connected so it's not my internet, it is the T.V. I'm extremely frustrated because I have not even had this T.V. for a year and this has happened twice within a week. The first time I unplugged everything as the internet suggested. The second time I unplugged everything again since that worked the first time but it did not work the second time so I had to do a factory reset. I'm seriously, extremely upset.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Sharp had one of the best looking pictures we seen. Problem they don't last too long. Call Sharp for a repair, and they only want to sell you a refurbished TV for $500. So, after paying $1500 4 years ago, they only want to sell you someone else's problem for $500. To top it off they made us diagnose our own problem which took about a week of taking pictures of each HDMI, then antenna etc. Wasted time emailing back and forth when all we wanted from Sharp was someone to come out and fix it. Our old RCA TV lasted 16 years and was still working when we replaced it with this Sharp. Good Bye Sharp TVs forever.

Sharp TVs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sharp is a pioneer in the LCD TV technology and continues to lead the field by making large LCD panels and the AQUOS series.

• Vibrant color detail: Sharp's Quattron technology incorporates 33 percent more sub-pixels than a standard HDTV for a total of eight million sub-pixels; plus, its Aquomotion 480 ensures crystal-clear images even during high-motion scenes.

• Lots of content: Sharp's Smart TVs are loaded with apps, so you're never far away from your favorite content.

• Multiple ports: With multiple HDMI inputs, plus a USB connection and an optical audio output, connecting devices is a snap on many of Sharp's models.

• Wallpaper mode: Even when the TV is turned off, it's beautiful. Turn the TV into a photo frame or a work of art when it is switched off.

• Built-in audio: Two built-in speakers on the bottom of the sets deliver 20W of simulated surround-sound audio, plus the models are compatible with Sharp's sound bar.

• Best for: Bargain shoppers, home-theater enthusiasts, researchers and movie and TV connoisseurs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs