1.87/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

209 Akai Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

Our Akai a/c which was under warranty broke down on the 1st hot day of summer. We called Tempo who service these in Australia. The unit was assessed & we spent the next 8 weeks continually calling to see when it was to be repaired. 3 weeks later we were told that the parts hadn't been ordered. We were then told that if the parts didn't arrive the week later, the unit would be replaced. We didn't hear back. Again we had call & call, to be told that the repairer had broken his leg. We were then told that they could replace it with an inferior less powerful model, to which we obviously rejected.

After screaming down the phone one very hot & sweaty day, I finally got to speak to a manager, who told me that it was unusual that he spoke to customers (REALLY???). He told me that they had no units to replace ours. I told him that his company is completely incompetent with NO PARTS, NO REPAIRER, NO REPLACEMENTS & ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

After having to rant & rave, the unit was replaced, UNDERHANDEDLY WITH THE INFERIOR MODEL THAT WE HAD REJECTED. We feel that they should have replaced it a month earlier with a superior model & a HUGE APOLOGY!!! This has been a very stressful experience, not only due to heat & discomfort, but it cost us $174 for initial assessment. The hours we have spent phoning & waiting for repairers is huge & it is time we will never get back.

Original review: April 11, 2015

We bought this tv from Sam's for next to nothing as a floor model in 2009. About 2 years ago the DVD player stopped working but other than that it's still going strong. Other than the fact that I can't hang it, I really can't complain. I got my money's worth!

Get expert buying tips about TV Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

Bought AKAI PDP4225M in 2006. Sound keeps going off. JUNK, don't buy AKAI, they do not last. Most of my TVs last 15 to 20 years. Not this one, ripping of the American public.

Original review: May 25, 2014

Same problem as Teresa of Navarre, FL dated Nov. 9, 2012. TV worked ok for a few years (intermittent use as we have a better one) until a recent move. For the past week, putting the TV ON (remote or manual), the red light goes out, then comes back. We have to start again many times, until it finally stays ON (from 15 tries to 25, so far). On occasion, it also makes a clicking sound, as if a circuit breaker popped. Any idea? I like the display and brightness, but cannot waste time trying to get the set ON. Thanks for your help.

Original review: April 7, 2014

TV just made a popping sound & went blank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Akai?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2013

Roughly after a year after purchasing the TV, it started making a humming noise when you first turned it on but the humming sound would disappear after 2 mins or so once it got going. Now it will not turn on at all, I'm very disappointed and cannot afford to purchase a new one at this time. At the time of purchase we thought we were getting a good deal but we were sadly mistaken. I will never purchase this name brand and I will make sure I tell everyone on Facebook about this cheap, useless TV.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2013

Brought TV home. An AKAI pth5498 2002 54in projection TV had a picture that night but color wasn’t right next day. Pushed button, TV won’t power up; red timer light stays on. It doesn’t have a remote. I read where a universal remote can work but instructions say TV needs be on to program but it doesn’t turn on. IDK what to do. Think all fuses have been checked. All good from what I see. What can be done?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

I purchased an Akai 32" TV/DVD combo about 4 years ago. The DVD stopped working completely after only one year! The remote control stopped working about that time also! For the past 2 years, there has been a loud buzzing sound coming from the TV when it is first turned on, but it eventually stops and the normal TV audio can be heard. Just yesterday the sound died completely! I have done everything possible to try and remedy the audio problem, but nothing. So frustrated! The 800 number for Akai is no longer in service! I cannot afford a new TV at this time, and I am so disappointed with this TV! I hate throwing money away, which is exactly what I did by purchasing an Akai product. I will never purchase anything of Akai brand again, and I just wanted to help warn others to stay away from their products!

Original review: July 6, 2013

I got this TV from my brother because it is having the same problems that everyone else on this blog is talking about, mainly the power shutting off. I tried some of the things suggested that I read, i.e., unplugging then plugging back in. That would work for a while but it would still shut off after a period of time. Some of what I had read had talked about the caps heating up... So I checked out the power supply area on the back of the TV. I then realized it was really hot right where the power cord was. I put a little fan right on that spot and amazing enough, the TV has been able to stay on. Who knows for how long but I thought I would let you all know. Good luck!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2012

I purchased an Akai 32" LCD TV/DVD combo from Sam's club in 2007. The product was repaired once within the first year. The DVD stopped working 2 years after purchase and now the TV won't turn on the first try. I have to stand there pushing the button on the side of the TV. It started off with having to push it 3-5 times, but each day requires more pushes. I needed 50 tries tonight to get the TV to turn on and stay on. Sound comes through immediately but no picture; goes to green light but immediately gets back to red till it finally comes on. The picture quality is alright but night scenes are sometimes too dark to view well and adjusting does not help. Very disappointed and will never purchase an Akai product again.

Akai Company Information