4.2/5 (39 ratings)

About Akai

Akai Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Akai?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Akai?

Original review: July 6, 2013

I got this TV from my brother because it is having the same problems that everyone else on this blog is talking about, mainly the power shutting off. I tried some of the things suggested that I read, i.e., unplugging then plugging back in. That would work for a while but it would still shut off after a period of time. Some of what I had read had talked about the caps heating up... So I checked out the power supply area on the back of the TV. I then realized it was really hot right where the power cord was. I put a little fan right on that spot and amazing enough, the TV has been able to stay on. Who knows for how long but I thought I would let you all know. Good luck!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2012

I purchased an Akai 32" LCD TV/DVD combo from Sam's club in 2007. The product was repaired once within the first year. The DVD stopped working 2 years after purchase and now the TV won't turn on the first try. I have to stand there pushing the button on the side of the TV. It started off with having to push it 3-5 times, but each day requires more pushes. I needed 50 tries tonight to get the TV to turn on and stay on. Sound comes through immediately but no picture; goes to green light but immediately gets back to red till it finally comes on. The picture quality is alright but night scenes are sometimes too dark to view well and adjusting does not help. Very disappointed and will never purchase an Akai product again.

Original review: July 15, 2012

Akai (AKA Scott) 37in LCD TV - From day one, very poor design. Each time you change the channel, the audio goes to default mono. So each time, you have to reset to stereo. This is significant because many channels on mono are not comprehensible. I called the service center, and was told there is no fix for this. No proportional zoom, so if you are watching a program in letterbox or other reduced format, you're squinting at a small picture in the midst of a bigger screen. Dumb. The TV has to be almost at exactly a 90 degree angle to the remote or it won't turn on. Lastly, the on-off light is so tiny and dim that in the daytime you can't tell if you turned it on or not. Finally, after just a couple of years it burned out. Total rubbish. I will never buy another Akai product and shame on them for hiding behind another name.

Original review: May 26, 2012

I bought an Akai 42" TV from Sam's on 4/07 and bought an extended warranty for 3 years. Within that time I had to call Sam's for repair on 11/09. They fixed it and now it’s having the same problem. I called the same repair service. They told me that now that it isn't under warranty anymore, they couldn't get the parts. The TV still works after turning off and on a few times. I tried calling the 800 number, but there’s no answer. Why would someone be able to sell something like this and not be able to service the product? I am just waiting to buy another brand of TV when this one goes completely out. We need to go back to the old analog TVs - they last longer. I still have one that I don't use. I’m thinking about using it. I am so disappointed in this TV.

Original review: May 5, 2012

We have an Akai 27" wide screen LCD TV/DVD Combo that is only a couple of years old purchased at Costco. This was an extra TV for the kitchen, so it has not been used a lot. Today, I turned it on and it was fine for about 30 seconds, then I heard a pop and the TV was off. The red light on the front was blinking. I read through everything in the manual and never found anything to say why the red light was blinking. That's when I decided to look online and found that lots of others were having the same problem. I will definitely never purchase an Akai product again. I can't believe that an attorney has not already gotten a class action lawsuit going against Akai. This is unacceptable!

Original review: April 12, 2012

I own 2 Akais 2785 and 2701; both were used, and after time, they needed power boards which are $45 each through eBay. The 2785 is my monitor DVI to HDMI. The 2701 suffered another issue--logic control board--which I found on eBay for $20. And I am not fixing it. The screen fits both models and about 20 to 30 other brands and models. Today, parts are cheaper if you can find them and interchangeable with other brands. And they may sell for even less, depending on the brand name. Akai shares same parts as other brands. Part number and problem identification is vital. I thought I would share that with you all.

Original review: March 8, 2012

First issue was TV stopped responding to remote control. It then took increasingly longer time to respond to holding the "on" button. It took over a minute and half of continuous depression to come on. Then it stopped responding to any depression of the "on" button regardless of how long held. It still refuses to respond to remote. Basically, it is dead! It has been that way a while. I am very ** off! We started having trouble within a year or so from purchase.

Original review: March 3, 2012

Same complaint as I read many times below. TV (Akai LCT2721AD) quits turning on. For a few weeks I was able to use the "unplug/replug" routine successfully, but it has now quit for good. After reading all the comments on this site, I am going to purchase a new TV—not an Akai or a Samsung.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2012

The television set won't turn on in the normal manner by the remote or the on/off button on the side panel. I have to play with it for about 30 minutes before it may come on after pressing on of switch all that time.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2012

I bought a 32-inch LCD Akai flat screen TV from a yard sale. It had the problem that everybody talks about--comes and and then shuts off in a few seconds. I removed the four screws and removed the DVD player and my TV stays on just fine. Good thing I only paid 30 bucks for this TV.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

I bought a 42 inch 1080p TV monitor new last year. Two months later, it starts showing only half the picture. So I called the 1800 number for service, emailed all the info that was requested by the phone conversation and never got any response either by phone, email, and/or mail. I tried over and over again with phone messages, emails and have yet to hear back. I still have the TV and now it has no picture at all just static and jumbled colors.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

I purchased an Akai 42" flat screen television and am very dissatisfied. First, the convergent went out in it and I had it fixed. Within 2 months, the screen turned blue. Within 6 months, the power went out and I was not able to turn it on with the remote or the switch manually. I unplugged it several times and plugged it back in with nothing happening. I had the fuse checked in it and it was not shot. This is absolutely ridiculous that there is no way in getting in touch with Akai to get help. If anybody has any ideas of getting in touch with Akai to get help in getting this fixed, please respond.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

I guess I should consider myself fortunate. I received my Akai 27' as a Christmas gift in 12/05 and it just went out on me. First I had to turn it on like 3-6 times before it would turn on. You could hear the sound but the scream would be in different color stripes or blocks. Based on the other post I read, looks like the average was three years. This TV is in our bedroom and not watched a lot so maybe that is why we got a little more time out of ours. I will call Sam's club just to see if they will allow me to return it. I always say a closed mouth doesn't get feed. Worse than do is say no and no's are free, right?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

Most of the 32 inch, 37 inch and 42 inch Akai televisions use a Megmeet power supply built in China. This power supply has very low grade electrolytic capacitors. I have a LCT3285A model and have repaired the power supply 3 times in six years. The model power supply used in these units is MLT168A you can search for replacement on the net with little success. That power supply has been replaced by the MLT169B it seems to be plug compatible and is mentioned as a suitable replacement. Normal cost is less than $80 dollars US. The no turn on problem is caused by this poorly designed power supply.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

I bought an Akai MPC 5000, and my LED light went out. I called them, and they didn't care at all. It hurt because I bought all the MPC's that they ever made. Now, I have a $4,000 problem! I can't see or do anything.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

My complaint is just the same. I brought a 50" HD DLPTM Rear Projection TV (PT50DL14) from BJ's on 10/2006. Today it blew. The TV won't stay on for more then a minute, all I see is 3 blinking lights (timer, lamp and standby). I've called BJ's but my 2-year protection plan expired in 10/2009. There is no good working numbers for Akai and no one fixes these TVs. I paid $1,589.97 in all. Please Help!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2011

Just like most others on here, I think there's a defect in this TV. When I turn it on, in less than 3 minutes it shuts itself off. Many others have had the same problem. I think they need to admit that they have a problem with this TV and fix it. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2011

My Akai TV is almost 6 years old. It turns off immediately after I turn it on and it will not come on. I wish Akai would admit there is a problem with their TV and repair it. I have a 32-inch TV.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2011

I purchased an AKAI LCT 3201AD TV four years ago. The TV no longer turns on and will not respond to the remote nor will it respond to the manual on switch. I have attempted to contact AKAI USA through their phone number, but it is no longer in service. I have contacted them by email twice with no response. The part which controls the remote and on/off looks like a simple fix but without a supplier this is impossible to fix.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2011

As with a lot of other consumers, I bought a 32" Akai LCD flat screen television from Conn's. After 2 years, the TV just stopped powering on. No problems before, then nothing. Akai is no help at all.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2011

I bought this Akai with DVD Player Combo in October of 2006. The TV will not work unless I unplug it and plug it back. This the worst TV I have ever bought from SAMS. I am very surprised that a company like this is not more responsible. I have it mounted on the wall in my office and have to climb up to this. If I fall and get hurt, I will file a law suit against the company as I am a disabled veteran. This company **.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2011

My 27" Akai flat screen TV does not turn on anymore. The screen is blank but you can hear this buzzing or humming type of noise in the back. At first, I had to unplug it from the wall then it would turn on. But now, it does turn on at all! What a ** set. It seems that many consumers are having the same issue. I have had this set for about four to five years and I purchased it from Costco. I just wish that something could be done as far as replacement parts. From what I read, Akai is doing nothing about this. They are just laughing on the way to the bank!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2011

Four years ago, I bought a 37" LCD Akai TV model LCT32Z5TAP, for approx $600.00. It just quit turning on. I tried to unplug and plug it back in, turn it on manually but it never came back on. I expected this TV would last at least ten years for the money I spent. I really wish someone could do something to make Akai fix or at least give you the parts you need to repair for free! Or have the TV repair shop bill AKAI directly.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2011

On 2007, my daughter bought an AKAI with DVD and suddenly it just stops working. AKAI Company is not trying to help the consumers. It's really disappointed the company will not take any responsibility at all. Not a product that I will recommend. A 4 year old TV should be functional but the DVD doesn't work. The picture is green on several parts of the screen, the voice keeps fading away. Also, out of nowhere it turns off and it needs be plug and unplugged it several times.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2011

We have an AKAI 32"LCD TV/DVD player combo - model LCT3201AD that we bought 3 or 4 years ago from Sam's Club for around $500. The remote doesn't work at all. I tried all the remedies; new batteries and unplugged the TV for several hours. I can only turn on the TV by the side panel. There was a faint plastic smell coming from set. It is mounted on the wall. While I can still turn on the set as of today, I am a little worried about leaving my house with it plugged in. I also can't afford a new set should it become totally inoperable. The DVD player sometimes won't play. My father had a 27" set exactly like mine and had problems with the sound. We returned it to Sam's (he had the receipt) and they gave him full credit towards a new set. Sam's told me about not selling AKAI anymore because of the problems.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2011

My TV is less than five years old and it won't stay on longer than five minutes. I am very disappointed with my purchase and I had to buy a new television set.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2011

I bought an AKAI HDMI 1080P TV (Model: lct37z6ta / Serial Number: 60810114) on October 6 from our local Office Depot in 2008. This month, it stopped working completely. You can see the green little light which indicates that the TV is 'on' but no sound, no picture, no screen. I am very surprised that a company like AKAI is not responding my earlier complaint. I hope to hear from you soon, this time.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2011

I bought an LCT3201AD at BJ's for $850 in 2007. I cannot turn the set on now without unplugging it for a few minutes and then turning it on as usual. Like everyone else, they have no address that I can find and they don't respond to emails. I'm quite sure that my set will stop working in the near future and I will have no recourse but to junk the set. I will certainly never buy again anything that Akai makes, and I will do my best to discourage others from buying their products. I don't think a class action suit would help anyone but the attorneys.

Tinker/Owings MD

Original review: Aug. 5, 2011

I purchased a new Akai 2211 mobile phone on 05/09/2010 through Time World Watch and Mobile Shop at Maninagar, Ahmedabad. On September 2010, there was a problem with the handset mobile. It suddenly switched off automatically. So I gave it to an Akai service station in Bapunagar, Ahmedabad.

But still to this date, they have not solved my mobile phone problem. Also they don’t give any answer as to when the mobile will be okay

On this experience, I decided that I will never purchase Akai mobile in the future.

Original review: July 30, 2011

I bought a 37" LCD Akai TV five years and seven months ago for $1,120.00. It just quit turning on. I had to unplug and plug it back in, turn it on quickly and if I was lucky, it would come back on. Finally, it wouldn't come on at all. I thought this TV would last at least ten years for the money I spent. I really wish someone could do something to make Akai fix or at least give you the parts you need to repair for free!

Akai Company Information