SmileDirectClub

SmileDirectClub
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.83/5
Based on 1,583 ratings submitted in the last year

SmileDirectClub provides customers with an affordable way to improve their smile with its invisible braces. Each treatment plan is crafted by a licensed dentist or orthodontist, and customers receive regular virtual visits during treatment. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay: upfront or monthly over 24 months. Its program is less expensive than traditional braces.

BOTTOM LINE

SmileDirectClub is an invisible braces company that specializes in custom-made clear aligners worn during the day or overnight. It makes treatment accessible with lower costs than competitors.

PROS
  • Less expensive than metal braces
  • Payment plan with no credit check
  • Treatment takes four to six months
CONS
  • Retainers not included
  • Not for severe corrections

Top SmileDirectClub Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

I had already been to my dentist and had asked about their options but it was really expensive. ... When I've seen the commercials for SmileDirectClub, they were talking about it being affordable. I had checked online and it was a lot more affordable than my personal dentist.

The impression kits came with very clear and easy to use instructions. Simple kit to use and return, with a clear process online of what was happening. I used a promotion to get the kit, and everything was followed through without any hassle whatsoever. Definitely recommend this service.

SmileDirectClub Get Started

Smile Direct Club products

What is SmileDirectClub?

SmileDirectClub provides invisible braces and whitening for those who need mild to moderate teeth correction. Customers can find out if they are eligible by requesting a risk-free impression kit that is sent back to the company for an assessment. Alternatively, they can visit a SmileShop location for a free 3D scan. Each case is reviewed by a state-licensed orthodontist or dentist who creates a personalized treatment plan.

SmileDirectClub treatment lasts four to six months overall and includes clear instructions on how to use the products for the best results. The company ships all aligners with teeth whitening to your door within about four to six weeks after you send back your impression kit.

Customers can choose between regular SmileDirectClub aligners, which require 22 hours per day of wear, or Nighttime Aligners, which you wear for 10 hours at night. In addition to regular check-ups, customers have access to the dental team 24/7 by chat, live video, phone or email.

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Start by taking SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website to see if you're a candidate for treatment.
  2. SmileDirectClub's team emails you to provide options to get started; you can order an at-home impression kit or book an appointment at a SmileShop.
  3. SmileDirectClub creates a 3D image of your smile by either performing a scan at your SmileShop appointment or processing the molds of your teeth taken with an impression kit. The company's technicians use proprietary software to create a draft treatment plan.
  4. A state-licensed doctor reviews your 3D image, photos of your teeth and your dental/medical history to determine candidacy for clear aligner therapy and reviews and approves your treatment plan. The doctor uses photos of your teeth, the 3D image and your medical/dental history to prescribe clear aligner therapy.
  5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you your prescribed aligners and a courtesy teeth whitening kit. It cuts each aligner to match the contours of your teeth and gums for a comfortable fit.
  6. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s teledentistry platform. Virtual check-ins occur regularly.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: original aligners or Nighttime Aligners. The original aligners can straighten your smile in four to six months and should be worn 22 hours a day. They’re ideal for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime Clear Aligners provide a more flexible option and have an average treatment time of 10 months.

The company also has a program for teenagers that includes a Tile aligner case, a Bluetooth-enabled device that you can track using a mobile app so you don’t lose your aligners or retainers. The aligner options are the same, but other products are geared more toward a teenager's busy lifestyle.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub treatment plans take an average of four to six months and cost $1,950. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay for aligners:

• A one-time payment of $1,950
  • SmilePay, which requires a $250 down payment and 24 monthly payments of $89, or about $3 per day

The impressions kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $59 at the time of publishing. The company frequently offers discounts and rebates on the impression kit. If SmileDirectClub determines the company's program won’t work for you, it refunds the price.

SmileDirectClub works with most insurers who cover orthodontic treatments, including UnitedHealthcare and Aetna. If you have questions about your coverage, SmileDirectClub can contact your insurer and give you information about your benefits.

SmileDirectClub FAQ

Does SmileDirectClub work?
Yes, SmileDirectClub works for minor to moderate teeth correction, including for crowding, space between teeth and some bite issues. In order to find out if you are a candidate for SmileDirectClub treatment, visit a SmileShop for a 3D scan or order a risk-free impression kit.
Does SmileDirectClub take insurance?
Yes, SmileDirectClub works with many insurers, including UnitedHealthcare, Aetna and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Contact the company so it can check your eligibility for insurance coverage for aligners.
Who owns SmileDirectClub?
SmileDirectClub is a public company. It was founded in 2014 by Alex Fenkell and Jordan Katzman.
Is SmileDirectClub safe?
Yes. Every SmileDirectClub treatment is completely prescribed, directed and managed by state-licensed doctors who have at least five years of experience in in-person aligner therapy. Customers get regular virtual appointments with dental professionals and have 24/7 access to SmileDirectClub’s dental care team.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth for a lower cost than traditional braces and you only have minor to moderate issues with spacing, crowding or rotations. There is no risk to learning if you are a candidate for treatment with SmileDirectClub, and the company includes a Lifetime Smile Guarantee.

Though some have reported poor results, SmileDirectClub works to resolve those issues. SmileDirectClub works with state-licensed and experienced doctors to design and monitor each treatment plan.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I went to SmileDirectClub because they were more cost-effective for me. I'm 50, and I had braces when I was in my late 20s. Shame on me, I broke my retainer and never got another one. So, teeth haven’t set already, and they shifted on back to where they were originally from when I was in my 20s. That's why I did it. And nothing short of going to my dentist and going to another orthodontist who wanted probably about $5,500 to fix my teeth. When I went to my dentist, I talked to them about Invisalign, which is the other company. We did an impression, everything else, at my dentist’s. And then he told me I was a candidate for Invisalign. However, I was only a candidate for my upper set of teeth.

On the bottom, he wanted to remove one of my teeth for the overcrowding and put it together. Now, I have all 28 of my teeth, minus the wisdom that were taken out when I was a young girl. I'm not in the business of fixing something that's not broken. I was like, “My teeth are grounded.” Through my x-rays, I could see the roots and everything. I said, "No, I'm not going to have one of my teeth removed." There was no way. They work fine. I said, “Put your hand in my mouth and I'll show you exactly how well they work.”

With my dentist, I had a crappy feeling about it. I said, “Let’s see if there’s got to be something else.” That was how I found SmileDirectClub. And I was like, “Oh, it's only $2,500.” It was $2,300 total. I gave them either a $250 or $500 deposit. And then, within 30 days, I could pay it off and have no payments for two years. I corresponded through email on the internet. Not only that, SmileDirectClub followed up. They were great about it. With it, you wear your aligner for two weeks, and then one week, and everything. But I always got my notifications. I got reminders through email, and through text messages on my phone.

I would also correspond with them if I had a question about anything. And I could either go through email or through the text that they sent me. They always responded and communication is still open. I continue to buy stuff offline. I've had a good experience. I didn't know exactly what it was going to feel, or how harsh it would be on my mouth. I work office and I talk to people on a daily basis. One of my things was, I didn’t want to sound like I needed peanut butter at the roof of my mouth when I'm talking to them. It has been okay.

SmileDirectClub response

Crystal, reviews like this give us motivation and help us ensure we provide high-quality care.

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

In the beginning, when I was closing my gap, the aligners kept breaking. I had to wait quite a while for replacements. Then, when the replacements came in, they were damaged. So, I had to go and get scanned over. That happened about three times within a year. So, it was rough. The fitting was okay towards the end though. I'm not completely happy with my results because I have an underbite. My teeth, to me, wasn't that bad but when they pulled them in, the bottom teeth weren't pulled in enough. So, my bottom teeth stick out further than the top, so it's kind of way off. I was supposed to contact them. But what happened was they had an evaluation and they sent me a letter saying that they couldn't fix it and they couldn't do anything else. I would have to go and get traditional braces. The reason for me doing SmileDirect is because I didn't want to pay about 7,000. I can't afford that.

Now, after spending almost two grand with SmileDirect, I'm being told to go and do something traditional, and that’s more money. It’s like, “Okay, well, I guess I just got to deal with the results I have.” I have a lot of family members that have gaps and they saw my teeth and they were like, “Okay, they closed your gap. When do you finish?” I said, “I'm done already.” They didn't like the final results. They're planning to do something different because it was a lot of family members. They were watching me. I showed them my finished results. It's still an open bite. They originally told me they could close my open bite. They couldn’t. It’s a slight open bite, a crossbite, and an underbite. They sent me a letter saying, “Oh, we can't fix your open bite, your crossbite, or whatever.” I would still recommend them. A person can look at my results, and take it from there.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Elvina, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your end results, and the delay when waiting for replacements. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

SmileDirectClub was a lot cheaper, so it was a great choice in that aspect. But other than that, I did a lot of research online, and I saw there were pretty good reviews around it. So, I thought I might as well give it a try. And worst case, if it didn't work out, I would look for an alternative after. But I'm fairly happy with it. When I went in person, it was really smooth. I sat there, and the two people who would work with me did everything. And then receiving the product, most of it was straightforward. I felt I could do everything on my own, and I was never really that confused.

But there were certain times when I felt there wasn't enough information online on certain things. Like maybe I had a certain pain in an area and I would try to google it. And it didn't seem like there were any resources saying that it was normal. Sometimes it's reassuring when I would google something and people would say, “Yeah, that's normal. Just don't worry about it.” Having those types of resources online would be important. Sometimes, there were open-ended questions that I had. Trying to have more resources, either in the box or on the website, is what I would recommend.

There was one case where I missed the day by accident. It just slipped my mind. Maybe there are resources online, but at that time, I couldn't seem to find what I would actually have to do in that type of situation, so I had to reach out. It was a bit worrisome because I thought it was a big deal. But it turned out that you just wear it for a bit longer. Just random stuff like that. It would be nice if there was some sort of site that just compiled all the questions that people asked.

The one thing that I was a bit concerned with, and I feel should be something down the road, having some sort of connection to an orthodontist just to get permanent retainers. I don't mind wearing the retainer that I have now. I know I have to wear it forever, but at some point, I know I'm going to slowly start forgetting to wear it for certain nights and whatnot. So, if there was a way to somehow have one connected orthodontist per city where I can go and get a permanent retainer in, or you can just have connections to orthodontists that already exist, would be really nice. Because to me, the money doesn't matter. I’ll spend whatever. I just know that at some point, I'm going to slowly start to forget to put it in. I have to wear this for the rest of my life, so it made me feel like there should be something there. Other than that, I feel really good with it. I'm happy with what I got for the money that I spent.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Nicholas. Your feedback and input are so valuable to us and we truly take it to heart. We really appreciate it!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Quick summary: Very pleased. Saved $4,200 compared to an in-person orthodontist. Everything went smooth from the start. Corrected "bucky teeth" perfectly along with some other small corrections.

Full review: It's scary to get braces online, I know, we were very skeptical and didn't decide to go with it until visiting one of their in person offices to get a laser scan. Very professional and well trained, top notch employees!

#1 - Clear aligners are not for everyone, and generally, the more messed up your teeth are, the less likely you can use aligners. Visit a dentist and pay for a professional opinion about getting clear aligners; most dentists sell them themselves. Don't mention online aligners, as you can imagine, they want to charge you $6,000 not $1,900 like SmileDirect...They have a Ferrari payment to make. After an examination, they can tell you whether or not aligners are right for the situation and you can ask questions. This is much better than spending time on molds and visits with smile direct...If your dentist doesn't think aligners are the way to go, Smile Direct probably won't either...Again, don't mention smile direct to your dentist; online braces are a huge threat to their cash cow and they may dishonestly discourage you from buying online.

#2 - Go to a smile direct store and get a laser scan. Even if it's a couple hours drive, do it. We did, the aligners fit perfectly from day one. They also have a bus that travels around, so see if/when it may be in your area.

#3 - You may to need to file the top edges of the aligners to stop them from rubbing too much. This is not a big deal; a hand finger nail file was all that was needed; a rotary tool is cheap at places like Harbor Freight and makes the job easy and fast.

#4 - You are moving your teeth; this is not a painless process! If a mosquito bite sends you to the emergency room, then you're probably better off sticking with crooked teeth. In our case, it was not "painful"; it was just an annoyance and the person had a high pain tolerance to begin with.

#5 - Brush your teeth and clean your aligners multiple times a day to prevent cavities and other problems. You are wrapping your teeth in plastic for months on end...You need to keep them clean!

7 months later, no more bucky teeth, super smile, no issues. It's now more than a year since treatment ended and all is well, teeth look great and the retainers at night are not an issue. Hope this helps and good luck with your teeth!

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Bill, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so happy to hear about this great experience. We love providing a cost-effective option for our customers. We truly appreciate the support. Best, Toni

Original review: May 23, 2020

I’m very happy with my results! I’m now on 5.5 months of my 6 month plan and notice a drastic difference. However my teeth were not horrible before - just minor crowding and my front two teeth were pushed outward. This really is a much cheaper alternative however keep in mind you get what you pay for. The biggest downfall is that you DON'T see an orthodontist the entire duration of treatment. As opposed to getting braces or Invisalign where you see one every time you change your trays. However you do have to send a picture halfway through your treatment to your assigned “virtual orthodontist” which I thought is pretty interesting. You get the entire 6 month treatment/set of aligners in one big box and it’s up to YOU to be disciplined and wear them 22 hours a day, and change them weekly as directed.

From the reviews, most people have poor ratings because the trays did not fit. There were MANY times when I started new trays where I thought it would not go in either. However I think it’s supposed to be like that. I mean, it is getting tighter every time you use a new tray, so it wouldn’t make sense for it to just slide in easily. You have to really push it through, and I find putting it on by one section first helps. Not sure if that makes sense, but for example putting it on from the left side first then making your way to the right side. Rather than just popping the whole thing in at once (which is almost impossible!). Get it through one side first then work your way around.

There were weeks where I would be diligent and wear my aligners 22 hours a day, and then when I changed trays it wasn’t difficult to get in because my teeth had shifted to fit into the next trays. Then some weeks I would forget and only wear it 10-18 hours a day and the next set felt really tight and really hard to get in. So you MUST remember to be diligent and wear them as instructed. It will also ache when it first goes in after really having to force it through. But my friends who had braces said they felt discomfort too. Your teeth are shifting after all. It just aches a bit as your teeth adjusts to the tightness. No pain though. And by day 2 I had no more discomfort...until you switch trays again! Luckily it’s only 6 months.

Also when I called into customer service to order an extra aligner remover, and then once again to order my retainer, they were very professional, very nice! Zero problems with customer service. The only issue is that it takes a long time for them to come in (4-5 weeks). So expect delays. Another complaint is that the aligners really pushed my gums back. Like I basically have a receding gum line now... it’s not bad... but I mean, they definitely look receded. I had to switch my toothbrush to an extremely soft bristle as to not further damage my gyms. I hope they will go back to normal once I am done with the aligners. The receding gums has not caused any issues so far.

My last and final suggestion that I REALLY wish I had known prior to ordering the entire aligner box, is to request TWO additional aligner remover stick. Don’t. Forget. This. Trust me, do yourself a favour and order two extras right when you order your box. As mentioned, the aligners are REALLY tight, so it’s almost impossible to remove them by hand.

You have to use the aligner remover stick. And so many times I would forget the stick at home, and starve at work or when going out because I couldn’t get the aligners off. Pretty sure I lost weight because of this (you can’t eat with aligners in). And because it took 5 weeks for the remover to come in, it was a huge pain having to remember to bring that remover everywhere I go! I remember before leaving the house, I would remind myself, “keys, phone, wallet... aligner stick” LOL. Then when they came in, I kept one at home, in my bag, and one at work. So much easier that way! All in all, I am very impressed with the results and you just need to remember this is a budget option. Don’t expect you’re going to get 5 star service. You get all the aligners and the rest is in your hands. Good luck!

Sang,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We truly value our customers feedback and appreciate you sharing your experience.

Best,

Megan

Original review: May 14, 2021

My experience has been very great as far as customer service goes. They were all so friendly. However I am not going to do it because I think it’s unfair that I pay the same price as someone who needs aligners on top and bottom. I would only need them on top. And I told already had braces as a child and just had 2 teeth move from not wearing my retainer. So I wouldn’t need aligners long at all. I think the price should be based on how long you need them or based on only needed top or bottom or both. I don’t want to pay roughly 2,000 for minimal work needed.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Courtney, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, this is really important for us so we can see those areas of improvement. We understand your concern about the single arch plan, the reason why all of our treatment plans have the same costs involved, regardless of treatment length or complexity, it's because these include remote orthodontic assessment, impression capture and digitization, lab setup fees, and remote monitoring during treatment. The aligners themselves are only one part of the full smile journey, which is why we charge a flat rate for them. I'm also sending you a private message in case you require further assistance we can follow up from there.

Original review: May 14, 2021

My lower anteriors started shifting and the laterals were tilting inward. I knew that would cause gum disease. So I wanted them straight. I told my regular dentist the problem and I was thinking about doing the multiple retainer things. He said, "No. I'll give you two names of orthodontists and you should really see those." But I didn't take his advice. I went with SmileDirect. The "Smile" sounded happy to me and I didn't want braces again. I decided I'd give the Invisalign type thing a shot. It was absolutely amazing. I cannot believe that it did what it advertised it's doing. I was absolutely positively amazed that it worked. It didn't hurt. There were no spaces, no bands and no archwires. I am very happy. I have a friend and he's already signed up because he was just amazed.

SmileDirectClub response

It really makes us happy to hear about this Robin, you can now rock the smile you've always deserved! And thanks for the referral too! the more people can get their desired smiles the better :D

Original review: May 9, 2021

If you are looking to improve your smile, SmileDirect is the company to go with. I've had a good experience all the way around. The appointment was no fuss. I went in and got the scans done. Then, getting the retainers didn't take that long and when they came, I was ready to pop them in. I followed the directions and for the most part, I’ve gotten a good result. In the first month, I could see the change in my overbite and the correction at the bottom where they were starting to move. By the end of it, I could see the significant changes but more needed to be done for the bottom one. I followed up but they weren't able to read the last impressions I did so I'm waiting on a new kit to come to redo those.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks for taking the time to share your review, we highly appreciate it. We are happy to hear we are still assisting you in order to get you the smile you deserve Robyn, you can count on us!

Original review: May 8, 2021

I was greeted warmly for my 2nd scan when the 1st aligner treatment plan didn't quite finish straightening my teeth. Then they took extra care to catch the images of the 2 teeth that needed more work & let me take pics of the images with my camera.

SmileDirectClub response

Thank you again for taking the time to share a review! We truly appreciate the support.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I was a little skeptical at first because of the cost. When I had spoken with my doctor, he told me it was 5,500 for Invisalign and we paid roughly 6,000 for my daughter. Somebody told me that SmileDirect was a bit cheaper and I was like, “No way. It's gotta be a scam.” Smile Direct is over the counter but I found out I could actually go somewhere and there was a licensed orthodontist overseeing the treatment. So I thought, “What the heck? I got nothing to lose. At least go for the consultation and see what they have to say.”

From start to finish, they were very professional and quick. I was in and out in 30 minutes tops. They answered all my questions. I also like the little phone app where they remind me to change aligners. Also, I had a little bump in the road as far as the liners fitting. But I called and SmileDirect identified the issue and got me in. It was a little bit more difficult to get back on time when there was a faux pas in the billing system. My husband changed the card and it didn't go through.

So because we missed a payment, they didn't send out the corrective liners. But, it's on its way.

The results for my teeth on top are amazing. For the bottom one, we were going to have some issues because one of the teeth was almost sideways. That was what was giving SmileDirect a hard time. The tooth didn't turn quite as fast as we were hoping but it's far better than it was. The pain has resolved too. It looks 89% better in that short period of time so I'm very happy.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks for giving us the chance to get you the smile you are looking for Kimberly! as soon as we get any update you'll be notified via email, thanks in advance for your patience!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 7, 2021

I had no problems until the end of my treatment when I needed refinements. They seem much more concerned with gaining new customers than helping if you need refinements once you've already started paying for treatments. I have been stuck with the last set for weeks and I still do not have my new aligners. The last I heard, they were delayed up to 7 more days and that was a week ago. Totally unhappy at this point and wishing I had just gone to an orthodontist office.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Sharika, we are sorry you felt that way, we would like to know what happened and most importantly continue assisting you until you can get the smile you deserve, I'm sending you a private message so we can follow up from there, thanks in advance for your patience.

Original review: May 6, 2021

This company's customer service is straight trash. I asked for adjustments for my aligners and submitted pictures. I was ignored by the customer service and doctor for 2 months. When I asked for the guaranteed pro-rated refund as seen on their website to a customer service agent, he ignored me as well and decided it would be cute to close out the help ticket instead without assisting me. I just love how the doctor and customer service ignored me. That was so sweet of you guys. It's not like it's my teeth or anything. Worthless trash.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Karen, we are terribly sorry to hear about what happened with the outcome of your smile, this is certainly not the experience we want you to have, please accept our sincerest apologies. We would like to verify what happened and make things right, we'll send you a private message so we can follow up from there, thanks in advance for your patience.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Great experience! Visuals were very helpful in understanding current state to explore possibilities for correction. Looking forward to getting started and speaking and smiling with even more confidence.

SmileDirectClub response

Thank you very much for your high star rating Pam! we'll continue working hard to get you the smile you deserve.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I'm very satisfied. The impressions weren't hard to make and didn't need to get a new kit. I love the 3D view on my screen of being able to know ahead of time how it's going to look. Not to mention it looks exactly like my teeth. They got it copied over good. I got my money back in the rebate. Very simple, very quick, and can't wait to continue the journey. Hard not to love.

SmileDirectClub response

We love providing a convenient option for our customers. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, Selena.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I have been a patient with Smile Direct Club for 15 months now. Upon starting I did not need to make major changes. I only wished to close a few gaps in my front teeth. I was originally told my "smile plan" would take 4 months. I am now about to do my 5th reevaluation, because my gaps are still not closing. Their technology is faulty and DOES NOT WORK. I saw zero progress in my last treatment plan. After I first started my dentist became concerned with how my bite was changing and how there was a new possibility that my front teeth might chip while chewing. When I brought up these concerns to the smile direct dental team they reported they were working on my gaps--not my bite.

I'm starting to believe it's not possible to actually speak with the dentist. I've tried numerous times and have instead been called by someone on my "dental team". The person I talk to clearly has never reviewed my file and I have to reexplain my situation every time. In an email thread it is clear that a new person responds with each email and does not read the prior emails. The last time I called to schedule a phone call with the dentist I was hung up on.

I've been to the smile shop 3 times and it has always been a different person who does the scan. Now I'm stuck, because I can't afford to cut ties and pay another $3000 to do clear aligners through my dentist. PLEASE SAVE YOUSELF the heartache, disappointment, and cash! Do clear aligners through your dentist or a REAL ORTHADONTIST instead. It might cost a little more, but will probably take half the time, and you won't have to repair chipped teeth down the line.

SmileDirectClub response

We are happy to be given another opportunity to get you the smile you are looking for, feel free to let us know if you ever need any additional assistance.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: May 4, 2021

I had an average experience with SmileDirectClub. I pursued this route because the Invisalign seemed to be a bit more expensive and I didn't think my teeth were that bad. I felt that my experience was very superficial and wasn't really happy with the customer service, I had a lot of issues over the phone when I had to call for a different size impression tray, and when I called to ask about parking for a Smile Shop location.

After getting my 3D scan I decided to sleuth on Reddit and Instagram for honest reviews and was surprised to see that Smile Direct Club doesn't really do what's right for your teeth in regards to correcting your smile. They don't touch the molars or the bite, and they really only change the front six teeth on the top and bottom. I found this alarming and decided to cancel on my commitment before I even received the results of my 3D scan. I was disappointed to learn that a licensed dentist approves the scans, not even an orthodontist. Dentists doesn't really have anything to do with straightening teeth so I'm glad I caught these red flags.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello, this is Toni, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. It is important to us to always provide a genuine service to our customers. For further assistance, we will be reaching out via private message. Kindest Regards, Toni

Original review: May 4, 2021

When I ordered my impression kit, I had no idea how SD would become such a important, and exciting partner. SD was with me every step of the way, and provided regular and MEANINGFUL contact with me nearly daily. Totally unexpected. I truly enjoyed the journey with SD thus far, and I'm hoping that although I now have my final kit, that SD will continue on my journey with me.

SmileDirectClub response

Absolutely Rene, thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we'll definitely continue working with you to get you the smile you deserve.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I signed up for Smile Direct at the beginning of the pandemic. The impression kit came. I took the pictures and sent in the impressions. The aligners came in as expected. The only problem I had with my teeth was some shifting on the bottom. At the end of the aligners, my bottom teeth were still not straight. The two teeth in the middle were still protruding from the others. I paid forty dollars for another impression kit and took the pictures. It took me longer than the first time because I had COVID after I sent the aligners, and couldn't ask anyone to help me with pictures for two weeks. I sent everything off. My homepage at their company stated that they had received everything and the aligners were being made. My homepage still has this message on it.

After a couple of months, I reached out. They said they didn't have my impressions and wanted another $40 and more pictures. I began then saying I wanted out. I have begged since at least December to please cancel my account. I do not expect a refund, but I don't want to continue to pay. They continue to bill me. I complained with the Better Business Bureau. Their reply was that they would cancel with more pictures. I did not have the smile stretcher. My dentist office took pictures, and I sent them to Smile Direct. Again, I took a while. I am a special education teacher doing virtual and in person learning. I am stretched to the max. They sent me a rude message saying that they were looking forward to more pictures to continue with cancellation. I have begged them to stop billing me. It came out again today. I have contacted the better business bureau again. My bank says that I will have to cancel my debit card to make it stop. That is punishing me. This is a scam. Do not use them.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Monica, we are so sorry to know about all this inconvenience with the cancellation, we are more than glad to help you with it, we have sent you a private message with more information.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I have a had braces before and yes this wasn’t the same prices as braces, but for someone that barely has something wrong with their teeth and just wanted to correct little things the prices is really expensive. They weren’t willing to lower the monthly payment at least some to make it more affordable and the payment options are not convenient at all. I’m not saying this isn’t effective or it doesn’t work but I see it very expensive for my situation. You should charge a standard price but make everyone’s prices custom because some people don’t have that big a fix and you’re still charging them the same.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Jannexsy, this is Fiona, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. I will be reaching out via private message for further assistance.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Its visit: I was very impressed by the receptionist and Mr. Pedro who took the measurement of mouth (teeth). He explained everything that he had to do. He explained what the processed involved. I felt very comfortable during the assessment.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Lindsey, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We appreciate your positive words!

Original review: May 1, 2021

My experience visiting the SmileDirectClub location was pleasant. My appointment started on time and lasted 30 mins as expected. The smile guide I worked with was very polite. What displeased me about my experience is that I was given the impression that after the images were taken I would receive a treatment plan within 3 days after my risk free consultation, authorize payment and move forward from there. Instead I was charged for the full treatment a day or two later and had to call to receive the treatment plan. Once I saw the plan I was not pleased with what the result would be and cancelled.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Maya, this is Fiona, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. We will be reaching out via email for further assistance.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Customer service was excellent, the 3D scan was painless and quick. The tech, Sheba, was very knowledgeable, friendly and answered all my questions. I’m looking forward to my new smile, thanks to SmileDirectClub.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Tracy, thank you again for taking the time to share a review! We truly appreciate the support.

Original review: April 30, 2021

From signing up and making my appointment online to going into down town Portland to their office location it was the easiest thing to do. Going into Portland was so easy, pulled right into a parking spot. When they opened the door for me to go inside they were expecting me, no wait they got me right in. The office is extremely clean and sanitized, the staff is extra cautious and safe following extra steps to assure comfort. They were so friendly and professional, took the time to explain and make sure I fully understood the process. They made me feel important as my business and experience really matters. They are genuine. I will be recommending them to everyone I can. It has been an incredible start to this new venture.

SmileDirectClub response

Amber, we are super happy to hear from you and your awesome experience, we strive 100% satisfaction so it really makes us happy to hear about this! thanks.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I attended the in person evaluation and the employees were very friendly and helpful. They said I would receive the plan in a few days and that my concerns should be addressed. They attempted to receive payment and I am greatly relieved that I waited to find out what the plan consisted of. I explicitly stated how I was looking to fix the malalignment of my molars and those will literally not be moved at all within my smile plan. Then you all have the gall to call me and ask me to spend $2k to not fix my problem? Ridiculous! Clearly you all just want to make some money. If you were honest, you would have said that I am not a candidate as that is the truth. No, instead you tried to collect anyway. Shameful. I will definitely recommend that others avoid your services in the future. Period.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Jason, this is Fiona, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. For further assistance, we will be reaching out via private message.

Original review: April 29, 2021

We were greeted with kindness and everything was very clean and had no concerns about coming in to get the scan. The team member was very professional, answers all our questions. The scan and plan was sent efficiently and we hope to start the process within the month!

SmileDirectClub response

Nancy, thank you so much for this amazing review! Health and safety are very important to us and we always want our customers to have a comfortable and informative experience. We are so happy to hear this.

Original review: April 29, 2021

The process with SmileDirectClub went really well and it was very easy. Anytime I had any issues, I loved that I was able to reach out and get somebody to talk to real quick. Their response seemed to be fast. My smile now is perfect. I'm very pleased.

SmileDirectClub response

We are thrilled about this feedback. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!

Original review: April 29, 2021

My experience with SmileDirect has been great. They have updated me through every moment; from how to receive the impression kit (paid return postage included), notifying me when the received the kit. I was informed on how long I would receive a response and notified through every step following. I have confidence in their assessments because they have explained and showed me their procedures.

SmileDirectClub response

Jerry thank you very much for your awesome review, we aim for 100% satisfaction so feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can do to make you smile.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Excited when I got there, asked lots of questions, and had my scan. Filled everything out, asked if there would be a problem getting the teeth corrections. I received email, not a good fit! Nothing else, so not very happy. I will say that the staff were very nice and did answer my questions. Now I get referred to a local dentist with a $500 discount. I am sure that even with that, it will now be very expensive.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Linda, this is Fiona, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We will be reaching out via private message for further assistance.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Our meeting went swimmingly. I enjoyed watching her create my layout of my teeth. Looked like I had three areas that need to be worked on and I am OK with that. The only issue I had was that an email I received said that I would receive an accelerator that I plug into my phone to enhance lightening when I went to the visit. I forgot to ask about it and would still like to get the appliance. Thanks.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Linda, this is Fiona, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. I will be reaching out via private message for further assistance.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Hi, I have not decided yet on my final rating but I am not too satisfied at the moment. Between sending my impressions to the wrong place and prematurely ending my service I have been waiting for a very long time for my impressions. I believe your problem is that you have way too many people involved and no communication between them.

For example: I share my issues and requests with one person then another gets back to me with no idea of what I already shared. I text Sebastian and Pamela gets back to me then, Steve or Nat or Johanna, MJ, Monica, Rob, Christian or Carmen and I get really tired of redundant communications. Since it is taking so long I have requested that you send me a replacement for the last retainer that you sent because mine is now in four pieces. I stated that I would be happy to pay for it but I was told to just use an older one until you have processed my 1st order. This makes no sense to me. Meanwhile I wait and wait with no idea when you will take care of my requests.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello TJ, this is Fiona, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We will be reaching out via private message for further assistance.