Get Started

3.9/5 (1770 ratings)

About SmileDirectClub

SmileDirectClub provides customers with an affordable way to improve their smile with its invisible braces. Each treatment plan is crafted by a licensed dentist or orthodontist, and customers receive regular virtual visits during treatment. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay: upfront or monthly over 24 months. Its program is less expensive than traditional braces.

Pros

• Less expensive than metal braces
  • Payment plan with no credit check
  • Treatment takes four to six months

Cons

• Retainers not included
  • Not for severe corrections

Bottom Line

SmileDirectClub is an invisible braces company that specializes in custom-made clear aligners worn during the day or overnight. It makes treatment accessible with lower costs than competitors.

Top SmileDirectClub Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had already been to my dentist and had asked about their options but it was really expensive. ... When I've seen the commercials for SmileDirectClub, they were talking about it ...

Verified

The impression kits came with very clear and easy to use instructions. Simple kit to use and return, with a clear process online of what was happening. I used a promotion to get t...

Smile Direct Club products

What is SmileDirectClub?

SmileDirectClub provides invisible braces and whitening for those who need mild to moderate teeth correction. Customers can find out if they are eligible by requesting a risk-free impression kit that is sent back to the company for an assessment. Alternatively, they can visit a SmileShop location for a free 3D scan. Each case is reviewed by a state-licensed orthodontist or dentist who creates a personalized treatment plan.

SmileDirectClub treatment lasts four to six months overall and includes clear instructions on how to use the products for the best results. The company ships all aligners with teeth whitening to your door within about four to six weeks after you send back your impression kit.

Customers can choose between regular SmileDirectClub aligners, which require 22 hours per day of wear, or Nighttime Aligners, which you wear for 10 hours at night. In addition to regular check-ups, customers have access to the dental team 24/7 by chat, live video, phone or email.

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Start by taking SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website to see if you're a candidate for treatment.
  2. SmileDirectClub's team emails you to provide options to get started; you can order an at-home impression kit or book an appointment at a SmileShop.
  3. SmileDirectClub creates a 3D image of your smile by either performing a scan at your SmileShop appointment or processing the molds of your teeth taken with an impression kit. The company's technicians use proprietary software to create a draft treatment plan.
  4. A state-licensed doctor reviews your 3D image, photos of your teeth and your dental/medical history to determine candidacy for clear aligner therapy and reviews and approves your treatment plan. The doctor uses photos of your teeth, the 3D image and your medical/dental history to prescribe clear aligner therapy.
  5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you your prescribed aligners and a courtesy teeth whitening kit. It cuts each aligner to match the contours of your teeth and gums for a comfortable fit.
  6. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s teledentistry platform. Virtual check-ins occur regularly.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: original aligners or Nighttime Aligners. The original aligners can straighten your smile in four to six months and should be worn 22 hours a day. They’re ideal for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime Clear Aligners provide a more flexible option and have an average treatment time of 10 months.

The company also has a program for teenagers that includes a Tile aligner case, a Bluetooth-enabled device that you can track using a mobile app so you don’t lose your aligners or retainers. The aligner options are the same, but other products are geared more toward a teenager's busy lifestyle.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub treatment plans take an average of four to six months and cost $1,950. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay for aligners:

• A one-time payment of $1,950
  • SmilePay, which requires a $250 down payment and 24 monthly payments of $89, or about $3 per day

The impressions kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $59 at the time of publishing. The company frequently offers discounts and rebates on the impression kit. If SmileDirectClub determines the company's program won’t work for you, it refunds the price.

SmileDirectClub works with most insurers who cover orthodontic treatments, including UnitedHealthcare and Aetna. If you have questions about your coverage, SmileDirectClub can contact your insurer and give you information about your benefits.

SmileDirectClub FAQ

Does SmileDirectClub work?
Yes, SmileDirectClub works for minor to moderate teeth correction, including for crowding, space between teeth and some bite issues. In order to find out if you are a candidate for SmileDirectClub treatment, visit a SmileShop for a 3D scan or order a risk-free impression kit.
Does SmileDirectClub take insurance?
Yes, SmileDirectClub works with many insurers, including UnitedHealthcare, Aetna and Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Contact the company so it can check your eligibility for insurance coverage for aligners.
Who owns SmileDirectClub?
SmileDirectClub is a public company. It was founded in 2014 by Alex Fenkell and Jordan Katzman.
Is SmileDirectClub safe?
Yes. Every SmileDirectClub treatment is completely prescribed, directed and managed by state-licensed doctors who have at least five years of experience in in-person aligner therapy. Customers get regular virtual appointments with dental professionals and have 24/7 access to SmileDirectClub’s dental care team.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth for a lower cost than traditional braces and you only have minor to moderate issues with spacing, crowding or rotations. There is no risk to learning if you are a candidate for treatment with SmileDirectClub, and the company includes a Lifetime Smile Guarantee.

Though some have reported poor results, SmileDirectClub works to resolve those issues. SmileDirectClub works with state-licensed and experienced doctors to design and monitor each treatment plan.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

SmileDirectClub's customer service is excellent. Unfortunately, I had a problem. The first aligners fit great up until week four, then I couldn't get the bottoms in. SmileDirectClub sent me new ones in a week, which was great. The second time it happened, I couldn't get the tops or the bottoms in after a couple of weeks, and it took three weeks to get new ones. SmileDirect told me just to wear the ones that I had in. They were so loose, they were falling out. But it took a long time to get those. So, I'm still wearing them. The bottom teeth are much better. The top ones still have a gap. I had a sore in my mouth. I called and SmileDirect told me not to wear them for a week. So, that put me back a week.

I thought it would be so easy, but it wasn't, as far every time I eat, I got to take them out. When I first put them in, the first couple of times I tried to take them out, it was hard. That was great because that means they're working. But that's a pain. If I'm going out with friends for the day, I have to graze all day so I don't put them in. Or I bring them with me, but sometimes I'm in the car putting them on, coming home. Because I got to find someplace to brush my teeth and I don't like brushing my teeth in a public bathroom. So, I wish SmileDirect would come up with some kind of a rinse that I could rinse my mouth out and put them back in. Other than that, their program where they can look in people's mouths from their office is cool. It's very helpful and it makes me feel like they are trying to get me done.

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

I did some research and found out that SmileDirectClub had an office where I could go to to be scanned instead of doing it on my own through the mail. So, I went in and I dealt with them directly. I love SmileDirect. I ended up going 18 months on their plan with my aligners and now I'm on my retainers. I had so many good comments about how nice my teeth look. I've been very self-conscious about my front teeth, especially the crooked teeth, my entire life, and at 68 years old, I finally did something about it.

I was only supposed to be in the program for the 12 months and towards the end, I was having a problem that the aligners weren't fitting right when I'd go into the next set. So, they set up an appointment for me to go back into the office and they rescanned me. They started from scratch and put me in for another six months. And it's been great working with everybody, whether it's been on the phone or in person at the office. They really worked with me.

My two front top teeth are big and with them being crooked and overlapping, I would take pictures and everybody would always say that I was not smiling. But now, when are pictures taken, I'll smile and I feel great about it. My teeth are aligned the way they're supposed to be and it's so much better. I'm really happy with the results. My bottom teeth weren't that bad because they didn't show that much but Smile Direct tweaked them a little bit, so what was a little off with them is straight now also.

I wish that I had friends or family that needed to have teeth straightened because I would highly recommend them. And I know they have the thing that if you recommend somebody, they get 100 off and I get 100. That happened when I first saw SmileDirect. I had a friend who lives out of state that when I was telling her about it, she said she was in their program. So, she got the code and she got the $100, then I got $100 off my aligners when I first got into the program.

SmileDirectClub response

We are grinning from ear to ear. Thank you for the support, Carol. We are always here for yo

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

When I checked WhiteCoin, there was a coupon that I could redeem for SmileDirect. So one morning, I clicked on it, then I went to the SmileDirect location at a CVS right down the street. I had my braces but on my bottom teeth, I never got the wire implant type thing that they glue in. So, my teeth had majorly shifted worse than what they looked like before I had braces. And my mom was all over that and really influenced my decision to do SmileDirect.

I thought it was going to take so long with them and that it was going to be super painful. I also didn't expect the aligners to be so clear. Even my boyfriend would never know when I had them in. So, I really liked the product. When I moved to California, I had the box sent here and there were a lot of times where I was meeting new people or going to school and no one ever realized that I had them in. I was very impressed with SmileDirect. Aside from that, when I bought the retainer, I called them and the rep I dealt with was really nice.

I used to joke that I had Will Ferrell teeth, but now, I joke with my family that the Will Ferrell teeth are gone. There is a little bit of a gap towards the root of my two teeth that were crossed and I don't know if that's just because my gums haven't adjusted. But they look amazing, looking from an overhead view. The treatment took four months and it was crazy. Now, I don't hear any more complaints from my mother and I feel so much more confident about my teeth and my smile. Also, there was so much that came in the box that they sent out. The whiteners that they sent work very well and they don't make my teeth really sensitive like a lot of other ones do. If you were on the fence about it, I 100% recommend it. My insurance didn't cover it because I had braces already but I paid $2,000 out of pocket and I'm 20. It was a big financial decision to make, but it was very much worth it.

SmileDirectClub response

Hey Carston. Thank you so much for this 5-star review! We appreciate you taking the time to share. We’re here for you at any time.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I was going to do the impression kit but I was very skeptical because I have a crossbite and my jaw wasn’t aligned correctly. So it took me a little while to go through with the process. I ordered the impression kit but I never sent it back. Then I got an email saying that the truck would be coming through and I could get a 3D scan. I wanted to go in and talk to someone at SmileDirectClub to make sure that it would be a good fit for me. So I went in, talked to somebody, and the girl assured me that I will be good. Even with me having a crossbite, she said I will be fine. So I did the 3D scan.

My treatment went great. The only thing was that half the aligners don't fit properly. I had an appointment to go and get another 3D scan so my top aligners could fit properly. But I caught COVID and I had to reschedule. I haven't rescheduled yet. The bottom row of the retainers that I’m wearing now fit perfectly, but the top row doesn’t fit completely. My aligners were like that as well, but it was still straightening my teeth. It wasn't a big deal to me because I was going to be switching aligners within two weeks. With the retainer, I wanted to make sure they fit properly because I will be wearing them for six months at a time. But I'm happy with the outcome.

I had to reach out to SmileDirectClub during the first day because it was really hard to put the aligners in. They should spend more Movemints when they're sending the kit. We constantly have to change the aligners but we won’t get so many Movemints, and sometimes, one Movemints doesn’t help. I almost went through half a bag of Movemints with my first aligner, because it wasn’t working out right. Other than that, my journey with SmileDirectClub was amazing. They did a good job with setting us up with some of the things that we would need. When I did have to talk to somebody, it was good. I really like the feature where they can video chat with us and see the problem that’s going on. Because it's kind of hard to explain to somebody what your problem is, but it will make it easier if I could just show what I’m talking about.

SmileDirectClub response

Kelishia, we really appreciate your feedback! We’re here for you at any time.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I saw an advertisement on Facebook of getting a free assessment from SmileDirectClub instead of being charged for it, so I took the opportunity to do so. It was fun and exciting. It was new to see the machines and the innovations that they've come up with to do the images and the customer service was absolutely fantastic. The walkthrough and the communication that were given were phenomenal, too.

My bottom teeth were a little bit crooked, so the issue there is not too severe, but my top teeth were in a very severe condition. The two top were completely crossed over, so those have been a struggle. They told me that it was going to take six months for the aligners to be completed and now, I'm finishing my second year. So my bottom teeth are pretty much straight and I'm good with them. But I'm still trying to get the two front teeth unclipped and I'm constantly going back and getting reevaluated, so they could redo the teeth and give me new aligners. Even though I'm wearing the aligners as much as I'm supposed to, they get gaps because the two front teeth don't want to budge so much. So everything else is getting fine. But I'm getting huge gaps, which means with those gaps, I'm not getting full coverage of the move. So with that, I've had the reassessment done four times now.

I just finished doing my last one about three weeks ago and I'm waiting for my new aligner again to come. So that process has been tight but my top teeth was severely bad so I understand and I have patience. And it's getting closer. My top teeth are a lot better now and all the other teeth have straightened except my two front teeth.

All in all, I'm satisfied with SmileDirectClub and I have referred a friend to them. With the price that I paid, you got to have a lot of patience with this type of situation because you can take the aligners out. It all depends on the person of how much consistency they have wearing them for the hours that they're supposed to wear them. They need to be stern and strict with that aspect.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there Teria! It is always a pleasure to assist you. If you need any additional support, remember that we are here to assist, just send us an email to: reviews@smiledirectclub.com

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

Everyone I met was friendly and helpful. All my questions were answered thoroughly. Nancy, the staff member who helped me, was polite and funny. She explained in detail but to the point. Overall, I felt comfortable about my visit.

SmileDirectClub response

Eglal, it's always our top priority to leave our customers excited and informed. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

Great service. Liz was very knowledgeable and professional during my visit. She explained how the Smile Direct Club process works in a very clear and easy way for me to understand. I will absolutely recommend my friends to join Smile Direct Club

SmileDirectClub response

Akeem, your wonderful feedback and rating mean a lot to us.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I had the pleasure of Haley (not sure if I spelled her name right) to be my smile specialist, very educated, sweet and made me feel extremely comfortable. I can not wait to start my journey. She made me more excited.

SmileDirectClub response

Genesey, thanks for your kind comments about our team.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Michelle was great at assisting me during my visit. We were able to make conversation throughout and learned a bit about each other’s lives. She was able to answer all my questions and did not miss a detail on what to expect!

SmileDirectClub response

Sandra, we are so happy to read such a great review about SmileDirectClub!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I drove six hours to a location in Chandler, AZ from El Paso, TX because that is the closest location. SIX HOURS THERE AND BACK (12 HOURS TOTAL)!!!! I went in and had my 3D image taken - person was very nice. Lena (don't know last name) said I would receive my aligners within 2-3 weeks. This worked because I have an event to attend beginning of March. Well, it has been two months and nothing!!! I called today to see what's going on and the lady at the 800 number told me the reason I haven't received anything is because I need to get a teeth cleaning done. WHAT???? Are you kidding me?

First of all, no one told me this had to be done while I was there. Second, NO ONE HAS REACHED OUT TO ME TO LET ME KNOW. Third and most importantly, WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF SMILEDIRECTCLUB THAT I GET A CLEANING? Seriously? My teeth are in really good shape and I'm paying almost $2,000 for these aligners!!!! Who do these people think they are? THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE!!!! My suggestion is just pay the extra money and go with INVISALIGN!