Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.00/5

SmileDirectClub

BOTTOM LINE

SmileDirectClub is a mail-order company that specializes in straightening teeth by using custom-made invisible aligners worn daily or overnight.

PROS

• Less expensive than traditional braces
  • SmilePay affordable payment plan
  • Average treatment plan is six months

CONS

• Must meet eligibility requirements
  • Only for mild corrections

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Start by taking SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website, which the company's team uses to identify concerns with your smile and get an idea of your dental history.
  2. SmileDirectClub's team emails you the results of the assessment with a preview of your potential new smile. If you qualify for SmileDirectClub’s program, the company mails you an impressions kit or schedules an appointment with you at one of their locations.
  3. After receiving your impressions kit, SmileDirectClub makes a 3D image of your smile. The 3D scan can be done in person at one of SmileDirectClub’s SmileShops or remotely through the tools provided in the impressions kit.
  4. The scan is reviewed by a licensed dentist or orthodontist, who uses it to come up with a personalized treatment plan.
  5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you a six-month supply of aligners and a courtesy teeth-whitening kit.
  6. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s customer care account, checking in on you at least once every 90 days.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: original clear aligners or Nighttime clear aligners. The original clear aligners can straighten your smile in as few as six months and should be worn 22 hours a day. They’re ideal for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime clear aligners provide a more flexible option. They can be worn for up to 10 consecutive hours overnight, but the treatment plan takes an average of 10 months.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub treatment plans take an average of six months and cost $1,895. SmileDirectClub offers financing and payment plans, and customers can choose between two payment options:

• Single Pay, a one-time payment of $1,895
  • SmilePay, which requires a $250 down payment and 24 monthly payments of $85

You may qualify for reimbursement from your dental insurance provider if it covers orthodontics, but SmileDirectClub doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies.

The impressions kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $49. Although insurance providers do not cover the impressions kit, it is covered by SmileDirectClub’s Smile Guarantee. If SmileDirectClub determines the company's program won’t work for you, it refunds the price.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth and have minor issues like spacing, mild crowding or slight rotations. The company provides a great option for people looking to save on a typically expensive process.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I am writing this in hopes to finally get some resolution from this company. I started my Smile journey in February with you guys and right off the bat, I ran into an issue with the company charging the wrong card and cost me almost $400 in negative fees with my bank that I had to fight for relentlessly. Finally it was resolved. 2.5 months into my treatment, I was having issues with fitting. From the start they were bothersome and causing sores from rubbing, I was having to use a Dremel drill and wax to try to make it tolerable. I was approved for refinements. At the beginning of those, I was pleased. They fit so much better than the first sets sent. No rubbing, they fit perfectly; no trimming or wax. It was perfection.

Late July I start having issues again with fitting on one side. It wouldn’t fit correctly causing comfort issues and stalling my progress. I went back into the smile shop and had scans done. I was approved for refinements again. This was in August. I start getting update emails on it being 4-6 weeks to receive them. 2 months go by and they still haven’t been shipped. I hear there are delays due to overwhelming orders. November comes and another email stating it would be another few weeks! This is unacceptable! You’re telling me it may be 4-5 months at this point and I’m supposed to wear the same aligners from M3w1 (month 3 week 1) for 4-5 months?! No! I’m paying almost $80 a month and getting nothing! No improvement, no results, nothing. So what was supposed to be a 6 month Process is now going 9-10 months and I’m getting no where.

I request to cancel at this point bc this is too much trouble at this point and I don’t even wanna risk doing this going forward anymore. On November 6th, an account manager called me named Sydney and offered $100 off of the price, I declined; she offered the free retainer and I declined bc I already had been offered that. She offered to ship the aligners out within 7-10 days! Ridiculous!!! The worst thing you can do is offer to ship something to someone in days that they’ve waited MONTHS for. She mentioned sending me an email requesting progress photos so they could get a full refund started. I never received that email. I emailed customer care the next day requesting that email. It never came. Nov 11th, I called and spoke with a representative who said they’d send it. Nope! Nothing!

I called back hours later and spoke with Juan and I told him I wasn’t hanging up until I got the email on how to get this cancellation going. He emailed me and sat on the phone until it came! It was only the return instructions though. I did what the email asked. I received an email from Sydney a few days later asking for the photos - I sent more than enough showing I haven’t had any progress since my 3rd month until this which was when I got my first refinements. That means for now 10 months -I’ve spent $800 on nothing! Everytime I call, I get crap! No one can help me! I finally got Jamal who emailed me stating I owe money, the other day who was helpful. I expressed to him that I needed someone to pull that call from nov 6th with Sydney bc she didn’t note the account at all about the full refund offer. He stated he would get the matter to an account lead and a supervisor and have the call pulled.

I receive a call yesterday (11/29) from Sydney and she states that she only offered a full refund if I allowed her to ship me the refinements out. I asked her to please help me understand bc I have been waiting MONTHS for that opportunity and I can’t after all this time get a full refund, but after they send me more product that will product that will cost us both money and if they don’t work out; THEN I can get a full refund?! How much sense does that make?! She states to me that she’ll have a supervisor call me.

Today (11/30) a gentleman called that I could barely understand just to tell me he couldn’t help me and he’d have Sydney call me again. This has been the absolute worst run around and customer service. I was emailed earlier this week stating I still owe money and never offered any credit for the refinements I was promised and didn’t receive! A multi-million dollar company can’t even try to make sure they’re doing any and all things to resolve this peacefully. Instead I’m getting the worst run around and biggest headache!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I would give zero or negative stars if I could, I placed my order at a brick and mother Smile shop in the first week of September 2019. Overall experience at the store was good to begin with. The staff was nice informative and professional. I was told it would take 3-4 weeks to receive my aligners in the mail, let me also mention I paid in full at the store, it is now the November 12th and I have yet to receive my order, I have contacted the company multiple times only to hear that they sent a message to the lab and they were still awaiting a reply, (apparently this company can’t afford phones) or the customer service “professionals” haven’t been trained to use them. Still can’t figure that one out.

So I finally decided to sent a nice letter to the BBB, company finally got back to me with some answers, not good news but news none the less, I will be waiting another month before they ship my order that I placed on Sept 4. If I do not get my order on or before the date they got back to me with I will ensure everyone is warned about this company. Updates to follow.

Get expert buying tips about Health Products and Supplements delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Aligners did not fit. Went back to get fitted and NEVER! received a email or phone call to say that there was an issue. I had to call them only to find out they did NOT do the measurements correct AGAIN? So they wanted me to come back, which is a INCONVENIENCE to me. I want to CANCEL my contract but the manager “CHARLES” is always busy, with another phone call. Now they want me to leave my phone number? For what? So he can check his list of people to AVOID!! They are still taking my money but GUESS WHAT? That card is CANCEL!! Now take me to court!! ???? **DON’T DO IT!!!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I started SmileDirect treatment in September of 2017, finishing in November of 2018. At the start I had very crooked bottom teeth, all on the same plane. After my Smile Direct treatment, with 2 adjustments I now have very nice straight bottom teeth. I also have 4 teeth that are loose even after wearing the retainer as advised. Two of my bottom teeth are significantly lower than the others. I cannot say SD caused these conditions. I am sorry I did not go to an orthodontist. It will cost me over 12k to correct, and MAYBE save my teeth.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I did the program. I called in all the time and sent pics but never got any help. They told me I should see a regular dentist. I'm like, "Well why am I paying you?" They would not allow me to stop in middle. Once we saw this was not working, I was told I can always cancel. That was a lie. I told them I was not happy, and they threaten to take me to court. But I'm not happy with service. They still taking money out my account. I want every bit of my cash back, with interest. I'm also looking for a lawyer, to start and file a suit. This is unconstitutional. Anyone know of a lawyer that will take the case? My email is **. It's extortion. Get in touch. I will be looking out. Subject Smile Direct. Bad business. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

SmileDirectClub Company Information