Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.73/5

BOTTOM LINE

SmileDirectClub is a mail-order company that specializes in straightening teeth by using custom-made invisible aligners worn daily or overnight.

PROS

• Less expensive than traditional braces
  • SmilePay affordable payment plan
  • Average treatment plan is six months

CONS

• Must meet eligibility requirements
  • Only for mild corrections

Want to improve your smile?

Get 70% off your impression kit on byte.com

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Want to improve your smile?

Get 70% off your impression kit on byte.com

Get started

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Start by taking SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website, which the company's team uses to identify concerns with your smile and get an idea of your dental history.
    2. SmileDirectClub's team emails you the results of the assessment with a preview of your potential new smile. If you qualify for SmileDirectClub’s program, the company mails you an impressions kit or schedules an appointment with you at one of their locations.
    3. After receiving your impressions kit, SmileDirectClub makes a 3D image of your smile. The 3D scan can be done in person at one of SmileDirectClub’s SmileShops or remotely through the tools provided in the impressions kit.
    4. The scan is reviewed by a licensed dentist or orthodontist, who uses it to come up with a personalized treatment plan.
    5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you a six-month supply of aligners and a courtesy teeth-whitening kit.
    6. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s customer care account, checking in on you at least once every 90 days.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: original clear aligners or Nighttime clear aligners. The original clear aligners can straighten your smile in as few as six months and should be worn 22 hours a day. They’re ideal for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime clear aligners provide a more flexible option. They can be worn for up to 10 consecutive hours overnight, but the treatment plan takes an average of 10 months.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub treatment plans take an average of six months and cost $1,895. SmileDirectClub offers financing and payment plans, and customers can choose between two payment options:

• Single Pay, a one-time payment of $1,895
    • SmilePay, which requires a $250 down payment and 24 monthly payments of $85

You may qualify for reimbursement from your dental insurance provider if it covers orthodontics, but SmileDirectClub doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies.

The impressions kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $49. Although insurance providers do not cover the impressions kit, it is covered by SmileDirectClub’s Smile Guarantee. If SmileDirectClub determines the company's program won’t work for you, it refunds the price.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth and have minor issues like spacing, mild crowding or slight rotations. The company provides a great option for people looking to save on a typically expensive process.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I went in to a Smile Direct Club shop and got the 3d printing model (right before COVID hit). I was super skeptical that it would work, but after seeing all the examples they show you about their own customers, I figured they would probably be in major legal problems if those pictures were fake. So I decided to do it, and could not be happier! My teeth were fixed exactly within their 7 month timeframe, and my teeth were not "mild" or "light" or "easy" task. My teeth looked like they came out of the part where Jafar is dressed up as that homeless guy in Aladin. My teeth look amazing and the whole experience has been spot on! All the aligners have fit, granted there were times when I really had to push a bit to get them to fit, but they did fit, and they sometimes hurt a little (to be expected) but much less than braces. I loved the Smile Direct experience and would 100% recommend it to folks (which I do all the time with my beautiful new smile. :D)

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Eduardo, thank you so much for taking the time to share! We are so happy to hear your experience was great and that you received the smile that you deserve. Thank you so much for your kind words of support. Kindest Regards, Toni.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

The consultation was very professional and thorough. Mark made me feel very comfortable during the consultation; I was in and out of there timely. The exam was simple and he thoroughly explained the process and patiently answered all of my questions. I’m looking forward to my smile improving.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Denise, thank you leaving us this feedback. We are proud of our team and the technology we use in order to give our customers a cost-effective and convenient option when it comes to smile care. This means a lot to us. Thank you so much for your kind words of support. Best, Toni

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I’m very happy with my results! I’m now on 5.5 months of my 6 month plan and notice a drastic difference. However my teeth were not horrible before - just minor crowding and my front two teeth were pushed outward. This really is a much cheaper alternative however keep in mind you get what you pay for. The biggest downfall is that you DON'T see an orthodontist the entire duration of treatment. As opposed to getting braces or Invisalign where you see one every time you change your trays. However you do have to send a picture halfway through your treatment to your assigned “virtual orthodontist” which I thought is pretty interesting. You get the entire 6 month treatment/set of aligners in one big box and it’s up to YOU to be disciplined and wear them 22 hours a day, and change them weekly as directed.

From the reviews, most people have poor ratings because the trays did not fit. There were MANY times when I started new trays where I thought it would not go in either. However I think it’s supposed to be like that. I mean, it is getting tighter every time you use a new tray, so it wouldn’t make sense for it to just slide in easily. You have to really push it through, and I find putting it on by one section first helps. Not sure if that makes sense, but for example putting it on from the left side first then making your way to the right side. Rather than just popping the whole thing in at once (which is almost impossible!). Get it through one side first then work your way around.

There were weeks where I would be diligent and wear my aligners 22 hours a day, and then when I changed trays it wasn’t difficult to get in because my teeth had shifted to fit into the next trays. Then some weeks I would forget and only wear it 10-18 hours a day and the next set felt really tight and really hard to get in. So you MUST remember to be diligent and wear them as instructed. It will also ache when it first goes in after really having to force it through. But my friends who had braces said they felt discomfort too. Your teeth are shifting after all. It just aches a bit as your teeth adjusts to the tightness. No pain though. And by day 2 I had no more discomfort...until you switch trays again! Luckily it’s only 6 months.

Also when I called into customer service to order an extra aligner remover, and then once again to order my retainer, they were very professional, very nice! Zero problems with customer service. The only issue is that it takes a long time for them to come in (4-5 weeks). So expect delays. Another complaint is that the aligners really pushed my gums back. Like I basically have a receding gum line now... it’s not bad... but I mean, they definitely look receded. I had to switch my toothbrush to an extremely soft bristle as to not further damage my gyms. I hope they will go back to normal once I am done with the aligners. The receding gums has not caused any issues so far.

My last and final suggestion that I REALLY wish I had known prior to ordering the entire aligner box, is to request TWO additional aligner remover stick. Don’t. Forget. This. Trust me, do yourself a favour and order two extras right when you order your box. As mentioned, the aligners are REALLY tight, so it’s almost impossible to remove them by hand.

You have to use the aligner remover stick. And so many times I would forget the stick at home, and starve at work or when going out because I couldn’t get the aligners off. Pretty sure I lost weight because of this (you can’t eat with aligners in). And because it took 5 weeks for the remover to come in, it was a huge pain having to remember to bring that remover everywhere I go! I remember before leaving the house, I would remind myself, “keys, phone, wallet... aligner stick” LOL. Then when they came in, I kept one at home, in my bag, and one at work. So much easier that way! All in all, I am very impressed with the results and you just need to remember this is a budget option. Don’t expect you’re going to get 5 star service. You get all the aligners and the rest is in your hands. Good luck!

Sang,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We truly value our customers feedback and appreciate you sharing your experience.

Best,

Megan

Original review: April 23, 2020

I've had my aligners for about three months now, and I have to say they are working, as I see results, but honestly, they're not for everyone. My experience was pretty good; I went to a Smile Direct Club in Morristown, NJ and had the scan of my current smile. Seriously easy and painless, their computer showed your current smile and your smile to be. They tell you how long you need to wear the aligners to achieve the end-date smile and some basic information.

Received my package in a few weeks (They don't bill your card until they're ready to ship) and it was then that I found out that to reach your goal, the aligners must be worn for 22 hours. Okay, I could have asked that question at the time of my visit, but I didn't. You also need to take them out every time you eat, or drink anything other than cool water. After eating you must floss and brush. Honestly, not a bad personal hygiene policy, but super inconvenient. Obviously if you're a cook/chef and need to taste food as you cook, this is not a great option. Likewise on the weekends if you go out to dinner and maybe want to hang out with friends for drinks afterwards, this is simply not part of the "plan". I found that making dinner at home was difficult, because you may want to taste things as you go along, and really can't if you stick to the "plan". Realistically, wearing them for 22 hours a day is not feasible for most people.

Secondly, when you first pop a new pair in, they hurt. You expect that there will be some degree of mild pain simply by design. They are created to stretch or push your teeth into a more aligned position, and you know you'll feel pressure, but what you're not expecting is the sharpness of the plastic sticking out from your gums. They provide an emory board to try and help with this, but I went out and bought a $35 Dremel from Lowe's to file down all the spots that irritate your tongue. My first set had my tongue raw and swollen, and rubbing an emory board or nail file on them does little to bring the situation under control. If you sprung for the aligners, you can spring for a cheap Dremel (which will make life so much easier...trust me).

Lastly, these things are tough to clean! They provide some cleaning tablets, which you can order more of through the website or by the daily emails coming your way from Smile Direct. I sprung for another $35.00 accessory from Amazon...an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Nice and simple; I just add a capful of mouthwash and two more of cool water and press start. You'd be surprise how much fine "stuff" comes floating off the aligners, stuff I don't want going back into my mouth! This method is especially good for the two-week aligners. The material on these weeks is much thicker than than the one week sets, and you can only imagine what you can't brush off after the tenth through fourteenth day of use (yikes).

All in all I think they're working, but do not be fooled by the ads showing how nice and easy they are. There's a level of commitment you'll need to apply for good results. Smile Direct does have a warranty, but you must abide by the 22 hour a day rule, or the warranty is void. Oh, did I forget to mention that when you're done with the course or aligners, for the rest of your life you'll need to wear a retainer overnight? All that for $99.00 every six months. The website claims that if you do not do this, your teeth will move back into the original configuration, the one you paid to change in the first place. If you've decided to move forward, good for you, it really has been working for me and I'm at the 1/2 way point. I think you'll be happy with the results, just take my advice and spring for the Dremel at the very least, you won't regret it.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Ken. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Best,

Megan

Original review: March 3, 2020

I think all new companies have growing pains; complaints are par for the course. For me the aligners did not work but not because they didn't work, but because I had 2 cracked crowns in need of repair when I started out. Upon further discussion with SDC, they explained to me that the aligners will not work at this time, & to send the remaining unused aligners back for a refund. I did & they refunded me my money. I have seen other people complain about not being able to get a hold of anyone at SDC, but that has never been my experience; reps for SDC were always timely in their responses; and easy to reach. I received all my answers about everything from the aligners to delivery to refunds. The aligners were originally delivered to me in 3 weeks (half the time they said it would be.)

The one concern I had was the length of time it took for the refund (30) days, but no biggie. It was handled & refunded. Also, you have 30 days from the time you receive the aligners to send them back for a refund (if you have a change of heart or are not happy.) I have read reviews & seen vids where people have mentioned SDC will refine the aligners at the end of treatment in order to get your teeth as straight as possible. I think some people expect a magic pill + have zero patience in our fast paced, over-privileged, society.

Everyone wants something yesterday & they demand perfection as if they are royalty, and when they don't get it they fall back by complaining on Social Media. My understanding is that any plastic aligners may not work on back teeth (molars) or severely crooked teeth + will not fix severe under or overbites. (Be sure you have wisdoms out for room for the teeth to move) ...& don't use plastic aligners on cracked teeth. (That's my two cents.) :-) Best Wishes.

SmileDirectClub response

Bella, thank you so much for your honest review. We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback with us and are here for you if you ever need anything!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I have not had a good experience. The aligner cracked my tooth. It had previous dental work on it, which I disclosed before starting. I was reassured it wouldn't be an issue. They have not helped fix my tooth. Very disappointing.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Gordon, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that we have not assisted you with your concerns. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I placed an order for retainers on 8/13/20 and received an email stating it was being processed and expect set to arrive 4 wks (gave them credit card info too). Called today for status and no order was found. The customer service representative would not allow me to speak to manager regarding their flawed process. Definitely would not recommend and suggest going elsewhere.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Amanda, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you experienced miscommunication with your retainer order and now a delay with it. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have never had braces before and wanted to straighten out my teeth. I found the Smile experience to be great for my needs. I took a little longer than average but now my teeth are straight and I even got compliments from my dentist.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Dana, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so happy to here your experience was great and that you received the smile that you deserve. Kindest Regards, Toni.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Everything was going well then aligner #13 did not fit at all. They asked me to try #14, but same result. It would not fit, buckled and tore. I asked for assistance on 14 August. Today is 4 September and they still can't figure it out. I keep getting emails from different departments, one says upload photos...and I do. Later they ask again for photos, but another department says they have the photos and will make an evaluation. Next they say they will send me an impression kit to determine if I need new aligners. They have asked, and I have answered my correct address several times.

Now they say, they can't get the system to send me an impression kit....but if they did it would take 5-7 weeks to get me new aligners at additional costs. I spent time, money and followed all instructions and I have nothing to show for it. I have asked for a refund, guess what that's another department who will contact me at some future date. STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY! Go elsewhere.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Leannah, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We apologize for the experience you have had with our Customer Care. We want to make sure we turn your experience around and that you have a great reevaluation. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was pleased at both the cost outlay and the ability to extend my treatment when results didn’t occur at the expected time frame. The group also underpromised on sending out braces (promising 6 weeks), only to have them arrive in 2 weeks!

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Jim, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so happy to hear you had a great experience with us. Best, Toni

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
      Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I'm only 2 weeks in as far as the aligners go. So I can't really say if they're working. It feels like my smile is changing but there aren't any visible results yet. My issue is with the cost and payment process. I was given an estimated quote of around $2500 for a years worth of aligners. After the 3d imaging and review by an orthodontist, they said I only needed 4 months worth of aligners. But, guess what! Even though my correction process requires less product and less time, the price was still the same. I went ahead with it because $85 a month was doable for me.

When I went to make a payment on my newly created account there was no link to submit a payment. I opened a chat and the representative said they could take payments. I clearly requested to make a payment of $170, the representative confirmed it. But when I checked my account $255 was taken. It literally took seconds for the money to leave my account. When I contacted Smiledirect to refund the $85, they said it would take 2 to 10 days to refund!!! When you make a payment, be sure the representative processes the right amount.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Olita, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We apologize for the experience you have had with our Customer Care. All of our treatment plans have the same costs involved, regardless of treatment length or complexity. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I went for my initial appointment and it was basically a sales pitch. I described what I wanted to accomplish with my teeth and they assured me all would be taken care of and that my insurance would cover it, and that if there are any issues they have a great return policy. I received my smile preview before the aligners arrived and wasn't completely happy with how my smile would turn out. I contacted them right away to ask about refund policies. It took them so long to answer me and in the meantime I had sent my receipt off to my insurance in case I decided to go ahead with it anyway. My insurance will not cover these aligners and so I contacted them multiple times again. No one got back to me at all, even when I replied to previous emails.

I finally found the info I needed to do the return, spent a bunch of money to return them with their specific method, and sent an email to them with the tracking info. A week later I got a response saying they would refund me accordingly when they receive the box. However, later that day my package was returned to me with notes on it saying that the company was unable to be contacted and so the delivery was refused. I contacted them right away about this and didn't hear back. I contacted them again and still haven't heard back. So now I have $2500 of aligners sitting in a box in my kitchen that I paid extra to send to them and it ended up back with me. I'm very disappointed in their service and need to find some way of getting my money refunded.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Kelsi, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you have had this experience with our Customer Care and communication. Our goal is to help you get the smile that you deserve. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

But, boy, was I wrong! I went to Smile Direct in St. Petersburg, FL in September 2019. Almost one year ago to the day. The first three months went great. I could feel my teeth shifting and by the third month, I started to see an improvement in my teeth. I was very optimistic and excited. I did my 90 day check-in and everything was fine. The following week, Month 4, Week 2 is when the problems began. The aligners did not fit right. There were gaps between the aligners and my teeth. I reached out to support. They told me to use the chewies. I was already doing that. They told me to wear them an extra week. Two weeks went by with no improvement.

I ended up wearing Month 4, Week 2 for two months, until they broke. I moved onto the next set hoping my teeth would catch up to the next set. I reached out to support repeatedly. They told me to continue wearing the aligners. They never followed up with me to see how I was progressing. The only communication I received was a canned response to my written concern. I never spoke to a human being after my initial onsite screening last September.

One set of aligners broke. I reached out looking for a replacement set. They told me to just move on to the next set. I wore that set two months because the gap was so large, I couldn’t get them to fit over my teeth. By the Month 5, Week 3 / 4, I was wearing each set no less than a month. My bottom teeth no longer meet with my top teeth. I cannot chew anything with the front 8 teeth. The teeth have become fragile and painful. I am concerned that wearing the aligners for as long as I have jeopardized the health of my teeth. Having had a total of 3 cavities in my life of over 50 years, I started this process with healthy teeth, to which my dentist can confirm.

I have now given up entirely on getting a decent smile from these aligners. My teeth are almost as crooked as they were on the day I started this journey, but worse. I’m so disappointed as the loss of time, effort, and money that I literally threw out the window. If you are reading this and considering buying from Smile Direct, do not do it unless your teeth are already pretty straight. Mine were not, and they never once said this would likely not work for me. They might be really good for people who had braces when they were young and just need a touch-up to straighten a little crowding. But for someone looking to use this as their first and only set of braces, run away.

I honestly did not think that my teeth could get worse. I thought, even if it helped a little, it would be an improvement. How wrong I was! They do not align. I cannot use my teeth. And my once strong healthy teeth are not weak and fragile. I’m embarrassed to tell anyone that I fell for this internet scam with no support – medical or customer. You literally will never speak to a human no matter how much you plead.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Rayanne, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your end results, and that the aligners caused you discomfort during your treatment plan. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I wish I had known what I was getting into upon requesting an impressions kit. It wasn't until the kit was received that I realized I needed to send payment information back with the impressions. I do not feel comfortable committing to payment without first having a care plan communicated to me, not to mention just the simple fact of determining whether or not my at-home impressions were done correctly. They offer free in-person impressions, but I am a two-hour drive away from their nearest store - so if my impressions don't work they already have my money and I have to figure out when I have time for a four-hour commute? No thank you. I communicated to SmileDirect via email that I wasn't going to be able to send my kit back with payment at this time, for the reasons above, but thanks anyway, and they have called me no less than four times a day for weeks. If I reject the call they call back instantly. OMG. Regret.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Emily, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are very sorry to hear that you have not had good communication from us. We will be reaching out via private message. Best, Toni

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

It did not work for me. People like me need to see a dentist or orthodontist to get teeth straightened. I think they study many years to become a dentist or orthodontist for a reason.... If I had continued wearing them, I’ll probably lose or damage my teeth. Even though one tooth straightened, one tooth looks so out of place, like I need to have a tooth or some teeth removed for my teeth to be straight. I don’t recommend it. Always see a dentist or orthodontist.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your end results, and that the aligners caused you discomfort during your treatment plan. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

I ordered my son's aligners and had no misconception about how long they would take to get here. The problem began with shipping. They sent the aligners via UPS. UPS dropped them off at USPS for final delivery. Five days after they were transferred to USPS they were returned. I started calling the call center and contacting them through the chat not on their website. The people are horribly unhelpful. Every person I talked to refused to give me an actual account rep. It’s impossible to talk to anyone who has the power to help. I got a different answer from every person I talked to.

The aligners finally get back to the Smiledirect warehouse In TN. I received no communication. I used the chat bot on the website to find out what’s going on. The guys gave me a USPS tracking number and says they have no control over how things are shipped, I can’t talk to anyone who works in shipping and I can’t speak to a sales team, I can’t get ahold of an actual smiledirect anyone. It’s all call centers who say their hands are tied and too bad. So they SAY they’re shipping my son's aligners back via USPS instead of UPS. USPS lost them the first time. And now we’re going to have to wait two more weeks to get them. I mostly frustrated that I can’t talk to a sales rep or someone in upper management. The only way to make a complaint is through Consumer Affairs or BBB. This has been an awful experience. And by the other reviews it’s just going to get worse.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Sharon, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We are concerned to hear about the frustrating shipment process you have gone through with your sons aligners. This is definitely not the experience we want for our customers and will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

At 1st I was thrilled with the cleanliness of their offices, the friendliness of the staff. Then at the end of my 4 month treatment I needed revisions. There was no way to correct my teeth in 4 months. I should have known it was too good to be true. It took 3 weeks to get an appointment for rescan and additional weeks for the aligners which were lost in the mail because they were shipped to a completely wrong address. No idea where Smile Direct got a combination of my home/office/ and parents' house. They were returned to sender by USPS. Customer service confirmed they received the package claims they will reship. Days have passed and no tracking info. Currently waiting with broken aligners that are cutting my mouth. Wishing I never started this process with Smile Direct.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Elaine, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We are concerned to hear about the shipping process of your aligners. This is definitely not the experience we want for our customers, and certainly hope that we can turn things around for you. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Fiona

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

I have had to see an orthodontist to get braces to resolve the issues caused by the Aligners from SDC. The aligners caused more gaps to occur and changed my bite. It is going to cost me $6900 (out of pocket) and at least two years to fix the issues caused by the Aligners. I have requested a refund from SDC and am awaiting a response. I have tried calling but always get left on hold when I ask for a manager.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Rachel, thank you for reaching out with your concerns. We are very concerned to hear that your ideal results were not achieved. We strive to achieve that all customers receive their smile goal. We will be reaching out via private message. Kindest Regards, Toni.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I called and emailed several times, after cancel order with SDC since Jan-Feb '20- was told that a rep would call, email send me instructions to get my refund. Still being charge for months! no call, no refund.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Ernanda, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are very sorry to hear that you have not had good communication from us. We will be reaching out via private message. Best, Toni

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I began this adventure in March 2020. My four month plan was up in July. I placed my order for the retainers on June 10, to have the retainers by July. So that order never went through, no one contacted me. In July I called to see when the retainers were. The online chat rep just wanted my credit number, I ended that chat. I called, provided my credit card number and did not receive a confirmation email. I online chatted again, only to be told they show no contact of a phone call.

At this point I’m concerned and upset. I ended that chat and called back. I had to escalate to a team lead/advance rep, due to it being Saturday after hours no management was available. He advised he did not see that I spoke with anyone or show my credit card number being added to my account. I was traveling and my cc has now been compromised. I’m heated!!! I transferred money and shut my card down. The rep placed my order for the retainers at no cost. Later I received the confirmation email and guess what my credit card last four was on that confirmation; which was concerning that they didn’t see the call, no cc provided to the account, but now it’s there. I had to wear my last set of aligners for five weeks due no communication about payment in June.

And yet it gets better. I told my mother about the company seeing as she wanted to maintain her smile also. I did the email and text invite to her. She scheduled her appointment and went. The rep at the molding provided her a better code to save money, except I wouldn’t receive the gift card for the referral. Fine no problem. My mother did her deposit, a day later someone called her to ask about her experience and finalize billing. Her total had changed from the total she was provided after paying her deposit. She ended that call and called me. We three way called the company and got the runaround on a price. At that time my mother canceled the order and requested her deposit be returned. That was five weeks ago.

So today my mother called me and sent me the emails she’s been bombarded with from the company. None of the emails has the same price, nor a referral bonus for me, nothing. I chatted again trying to resolve my mother’s concerns to ensure she’s not overpaying. See I paid my account in one time payment so there was no payment plan for me and my mother wanted the same. The chat rep today had every excuse in the world on what happened with the referral bonus and the discount applied to my mother’s account. We are going to call on three way again to listen to the price this time. This is a company to be very cautious with. Having traditional braces 20 years ago the price is a deal, but the company has very questionable tactics.

SmileDirectClub response
      Hello Natari, we are very sorry for the experience you have had with our Customer Care thus far. It appears there may have been some miscommunication with your retainer purchase on our end. We would like to learn more about your experience. We will be reaching out via private message for further assistance.

Best,Toni

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I DO NOT recommend doing business with them. It's truly unprofessional and you're going to end up spending hours on the phone with them, pulling your hair out and stressing. From the very beginning, it's been a painful process dealing with them. They sent our "box" which apparently had not even been checked. In a course of 12 weeks of trays, only the first week was correct. All the others were completely MIXED up. We spent hours trying to put all the trays in the right order. They were supposed to send a new box with all trays in the correct weeks, but NEVER did. They ended up offering a $100 credit. When we get to the end of the 12 wks, the retainer did not arrive on time. It was weeks late & when it did arrive it DIDN'T fit.

We called again, another hour on the phone. We got a new scan, 2 wks later we get another set of retainers, still don't fit and they're trays, not retainers. Another hour on the phone. Turns out they NEVER did anything with the new scan, just sent an old set of trays. 2 wks & the scans just sat there. After another hour of dealing with them, they're FINALLY going to make the CORRECT retainers, w/ the scan and the right material. However, it'll be ANOTHER 5-6 wks!! According to them they have "absolutely no way to expedite" the order even though it was their 3rd error. Another $100 credit. Wow, thanks. Believe me $200 credit will NOT make up for the stress of dealing with this business.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Cathleen, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are concerned to hear that you have not had the best experience thus far, when it comes to your treatment plan, and the communication with our Customer Care. It is important to us to ensure that every customers questions and concerns are acknowledged and understood. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I did the 6th month plan with Smile Direct. Some of the aligners I had were flimsy that you could remove with the flick of your tongue. I had one pair that did not fit at all and I had to drive to a different town to go in for a consultation and get a new set of aligners that would actually fit on my mouth. I wore the old set until the sent the new ones a few weeks later. A couple aligners had harsh edges that dig into my gums. With every little thing I had off about any retainers I didn’t find the point in trying to contact customer service. I would probably turned a 6-ish month plan into a year or so. I got the aligners originally to have a gap closed with my front two teeth. The gap did improve but there still remains a small gap. Now I’ve had my retainers for a while now. Which I use and fit ok. Slightly loose on the left side.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Savannah, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your end results, and that the aligners caused you discomfort during your treatment plan. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Let's talk about results! In my experience Smile Direct Club was not able to deliver the results that they promised me. I was under 8 months night plan, followed my plan to the T, and my teeth did not shift as it was promised to me. That's when things went down. I went for the re-evaluation, and SDC sent me my new aligners. That's when I noticed that without it being discussed with me, my plan was changed to standard 22 hr/day plan. I called and expressed my concern, and I was informed that it was a mistake from SDC end, and they can talk to my doctor to see if I can continue with the night plan, but it will probably take longer to achieve the results.

I asked SDC to let me know how much longer the night plan will take before switching me, because depending on the length, I may decide to go with the standard plan. Next, without any discussion with me AGAIN, my plan switched to night plan, and I got informed that I have to use the aligner for additional 6 months (too long for me). This mess was about two weeks ago. I immediately called and asked them to update my dashboard to the standard plan (at that point I was already using the standard aligners that were sent to me, and I didn't want to continue wearing night aligners for 6 more months). After two weeks, and multiple phone calls, my dashboard still hasn't been updated, and there's no way for me to track my progress or get notifications when it's time to change my aligners.

How can you promise results in 8 months, and then ask your customer to continue for an additional 6 months? That's almost double the time, and I didn't even have a severe case! Even my dentist told me at the beginning that their plan didn't seem to be realistic, but I still decided to give it a shot! I wish I had saved myself some headache, spent a little bit more money, and had gone to a real orthodontist!!!

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Nogol, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are concerned to hear about your experience thus far. It's always our goal to provide helpful and effective service to all our customers, and we sincerely apologize that this has not been the case for you. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I will admit that my teeth are straighter, but I feel that I have loss a level of functionality on my overall bite. It's flat out uncomfortable to be honest. Not to mention, I had to cut, bend and alter the aligners to fit properly in my mouth on a number of occasions. Also, I paid for my retainers over 3 months ago and still have not received them. Maybe that's due to COVID (maybe not), but I would not recommend this company or service to anyone.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Kelvin, thank you taking the time to leave us this feedback. I am sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your results, and that the aligners caused you discomfort during your treatment plan. We absolutely want to get you the smile you deserve. I will be reaching out via private message for further assistance. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Today's date is 8/11/2020. Smile Direct received my impressions on 6/1/2020, and a full payment of $1700 on 6/16/2020 (which is when my "new smile" results were ready to view). I was told shipping would be 5-6 weeks. Today marks 8 weeks from the date that I ordered and paid for the aligners. I have called multiple times, and am always told they "are in process". I'm starting to feel like the whole thing is a scam. I'm aggravated with their process and lack of communication.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Stephanie, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear that the aligners do not fit. However, we are happy to assist and will be reaching out via private message. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I sent back my packet after waiting three months because I had already cancelled due to delays. They refused my refund. I had tracking confirming the return as well. Unethical thieves! They could have at least sent me the liners if they were keeping my money. Very costly mistake so don't trust their quarantine or return policy.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Lc, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are concerned to hear about your experience returning the aligners, and receiving your refund. We would like to learn more. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

The aligners I received does not fit very well from the beginning. Called and talked their customer service, I was told that it will fit eventually, if I don't like it I can return even after 30 days trial. I did try... but my teeth didn't move the way as the aligners designed and didn't fit at all at 3rd one. After a couple of email exchanges, two months later, finally I was allowed to return the aligners so I returned it as instructed, but I was not refunded, so I disputed with my credit card issuer. A few days after I received an email from Smile Direct Club that if I withdraw my dispute, I will get refund, I refused, no reply since then. Two more months later, my credit card issuer contacted me that Smile Direct says they did not approved my return. Wow that's very surprising. I am disputing again and sending all of the email conversations as evidence to credit card issuer and BBB. What a very dishonest business.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Lisa, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are concerned about your experience with our Customer Care and the return/refund process that you have been trying to work through. We understand the frustration and hope that we can help turn things around for you. We will be reaching our via private message for further assistance. Best, Fiona

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have written several emails to customer service about canceling my order, and then returning, because they sent my order out anyways, to no avail. I received responses back that I would hear from a customer service representative within 24 hrs, and never did -- at all. I even included my previous message to show I'd been making efforts to reach out that were ignored. I also tried calling. The first time I called I was hung up on after I said I was calling about a return, and the next day I called and was never connected. I don't have the time to be wasting desperately trying to make a return. I have never had to deal with such incredibly poor customer service or had such a difficult time canceling my order/making a return. Be wary. This is the first review I have ever written, as I have never had an experience with any other company like this before. Very disappointed.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Jessica, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are concerned to hear about your experience with our Customer Care thus far. We strive to ensure that all of our customers feel acknowledged and understood when it comes you their treatment plan and service. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Great company because they sell the same quality product for half the price. The flosser works great and have had no issues. It's half the price of most brands. Of my 3 friends that had alignment treatment all were satisfied.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello James, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are so happy to read such a great review! Best, Fiona

Original review: July 30, 2020

I was very excited about using Smile Direct Club. I followed the treatment just as instructed and at the end of my treatment my teeth did not change much. They talked me into trying them again. They sent me two new sets, they had so much extra plastic they didn’t fit in my mouth properly., They had to rescan twice. Months later I finally received my third set and only made it a month before realized once again they had too much plastic around the gum line. They instructed me to cut them myself and file them down. Not only should I not have to do that, it didn’t work.

After months of developing mouth sores constantly, my teeth are so sensitive now that I have pain every day. I’ve contacted the company several times for a refund. But they never return calls and due to COVID it’s taken months to get through. Finally today after I reached out again about my negative experience and treatment that did not work. I received an email stating I had 30 days to get a refund. And that they would not be offering me any money back. This company doesn’t care about your health or dental needs. It’s one of the worst decisions I’ve made. My teeth look exactly the same but now with constant pain. Go the traditional route and just do braces.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Brittany, thank you for the feedback. We are concerned to hear that the aligners caused you discomfort during your Smile Plan. We strive to ensure that all of our customers feel heard and well taken care of when it comes to their concerns. I would like to learn more about your experience and assist further. I will be reaching out via private message. Best, Fiona

SmileDirectClub Company Information