Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

BOTTOM LINE

SmileDirectClub is a mail-order company that specializes in straightening teeth by using custom-made invisible aligners worn daily or overnight.

PROS

• Less expensive than traditional braces
  • SmilePay affordable payment plan
  • Average treatment plan is six months

CONS

• Must meet eligibility requirements
  • Only for mild corrections

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Start by taking SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website, which the company's team uses to identify concerns with your smile and get an idea of your dental history.
    2. SmileDirectClub's team emails you the results of the assessment with a preview of your potential new smile. If you qualify for SmileDirectClub’s program, the company mails you an impressions kit or schedules an appointment with you at one of their locations.
    3. After receiving your impressions kit, SmileDirectClub makes a 3D image of your smile. The 3D scan can be done in person at one of SmileDirectClub’s SmileShops or remotely through the tools provided in the impressions kit.
    4. The scan is reviewed by a licensed dentist or orthodontist, who uses it to come up with a personalized treatment plan.
    5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you a six-month supply of aligners and a courtesy teeth-whitening kit.
    6. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s customer care account, checking in on you at least once every 90 days.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: original clear aligners or Nighttime clear aligners. The original clear aligners can straighten your smile in as few as six months and should be worn 22 hours a day. They’re ideal for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime clear aligners provide a more flexible option. They can be worn for up to 10 consecutive hours overnight, but the treatment plan takes an average of 10 months.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub treatment plans take an average of six months and cost $1,895. SmileDirectClub offers financing and payment plans, and customers can choose between two payment options:

• Single Pay, a one-time payment of $1,895
    • SmilePay, which requires a $250 down payment and 24 monthly payments of $85

You may qualify for reimbursement from your dental insurance provider if it covers orthodontics, but SmileDirectClub doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies.

The impressions kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $49. Although insurance providers do not cover the impressions kit, it is covered by SmileDirectClub’s Smile Guarantee. If SmileDirectClub determines the company's program won’t work for you, it refunds the price.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth and have minor issues like spacing, mild crowding or slight rotations. The company provides a great option for people looking to save on a typically expensive process.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: May 23, 2020

I’m very happy with my results! I’m now on 5.5 months of my 6 month plan and notice a drastic difference. However my teeth were not horrible before - just minor crowding and my front two teeth were pushed outward. This really is a much cheaper alternative however keep in mind you get what you pay for. The biggest downfall is that you DON'T see an orthodontist the entire duration of treatment. As opposed to getting braces or Invisalign where you see one every time you change your trays. However you do have to send a picture halfway through your treatment to your assigned “virtual orthodontist” which I thought is pretty interesting. You get the entire 6 month treatment/set of aligners in one big box and it’s up to YOU to be disciplined and wear them 22 hours a day, and change them weekly as directed.

From the reviews, most people have poor ratings because the trays did not fit. There were MANY times when I started new trays where I thought it would not go in either. However I think it’s supposed to be like that. I mean, it is getting tighter every time you use a new tray, so it wouldn’t make sense for it to just slide in easily. You have to really push it through, and I find putting it on by one section first helps. Not sure if that makes sense, but for example putting it on from the left side first then making your way to the right side. Rather than just popping the whole thing in at once (which is almost impossible!). Get it through one side first then work your way around.

There were weeks where I would be diligent and wear my aligners 22 hours a day, and then when I changed trays it wasn’t difficult to get in because my teeth had shifted to fit into the next trays. Then some weeks I would forget and only wear it 10-18 hours a day and the next set felt really tight and really hard to get in. So you MUST remember to be diligent and wear them as instructed. It will also ache when it first goes in after really having to force it through. But my friends who had braces said they felt discomfort too. Your teeth are shifting after all. It just aches a bit as your teeth adjusts to the tightness. No pain though. And by day 2 I had no more discomfort...until you switch trays again! Luckily it’s only 6 months.

Also when I called into customer service to order an extra aligner remover, and then once again to order my retainer, they were very professional, very nice! Zero problems with customer service. The only issue is that it takes a long time for them to come in (4-5 weeks). So expect delays. Another complaint is that the aligners really pushed my gums back. Like I basically have a receding gum line now... it’s not bad... but I mean, they definitely look receded. I had to switch my toothbrush to an extremely soft bristle as to not further damage my gyms. I hope they will go back to normal once I am done with the aligners. The receding gums has not caused any issues so far.

My last and final suggestion that I REALLY wish I had known prior to ordering the entire aligner box, is to request TWO additional aligner remover stick. Don’t. Forget. This. Trust me, do yourself a favour and order two extras right when you order your box. As mentioned, the aligners are REALLY tight, so it’s almost impossible to remove them by hand.

You have to use the aligner remover stick. And so many times I would forget the stick at home, and starve at work or when going out because I couldn’t get the aligners off. Pretty sure I lost weight because of this (you can’t eat with aligners in). And because it took 5 weeks for the remover to come in, it was a huge pain having to remember to bring that remover everywhere I go! I remember before leaving the house, I would remind myself, “keys, phone, wallet... aligner stick” LOL. Then when they came in, I kept one at home, in my bag, and one at work. So much easier that way! All in all, I am very impressed with the results and you just need to remember this is a budget option. Don’t expect you’re going to get 5 star service. You get all the aligners and the rest is in your hands. Good luck!

Sang,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We truly value our customers feedback and appreciate you sharing your experience.

Megan

Original review: April 23, 2020

I've had my aligners for about three months now, and I have to say they are working, as I see results, but honestly, they're not for everyone. My experience was pretty good; I went to a Smile Direct Club in Morristown, NJ and had the scan of my current smile. Seriously easy and painless, their computer showed your current smile and your smile to be. They tell you how long you need to wear the aligners to achieve the end-date smile and some basic information.

Received my package in a few weeks (They don't bill your card until they're ready to ship) and it was then that I found out that to reach your goal, the aligners must be worn for 22 hours. Okay, I could have asked that question at the time of my visit, but I didn't. You also need to take them out every time you eat, or drink anything other than cool water. After eating you must floss and brush. Honestly, not a bad personal hygiene policy, but super inconvenient. Obviously if you're a cook/chef and need to taste food as you cook, this is not a great option. Likewise on the weekends if you go out to dinner and maybe want to hang out with friends for drinks afterwards, this is simply not part of the "plan". I found that making dinner at home was difficult, because you may want to taste things as you go along, and really can't if you stick to the "plan". Realistically, wearing them for 22 hours a day is not feasible for most people.

Secondly, when you first pop a new pair in, they hurt. You expect that there will be some degree of mild pain simply by design. They are created to stretch or push your teeth into a more aligned position, and you know you'll feel pressure, but what you're not expecting is the sharpness of the plastic sticking out from your gums. They provide an emory board to try and help with this, but I went out and bought a $35 Dremel from Lowe's to file down all the spots that irritate your tongue. My first set had my tongue raw and swollen, and rubbing an emory board or nail file on them does little to bring the situation under control. If you sprung for the aligners, you can spring for a cheap Dremel (which will make life so much easier...trust me).

Lastly, these things are tough to clean! They provide some cleaning tablets, which you can order more of through the website or by the daily emails coming your way from Smile Direct. I sprung for another $35.00 accessory from Amazon...an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Nice and simple; I just add a capful of mouthwash and two more of cool water and press start. You'd be surprise how much fine "stuff" comes floating off the aligners, stuff I don't want going back into my mouth! This method is especially good for the two-week aligners. The material on these weeks is much thicker than than the one week sets, and you can only imagine what you can't brush off after the tenth through fourteenth day of use (yikes).

All in all I think they're working, but do not be fooled by the ads showing how nice and easy they are. There's a level of commitment you'll need to apply for good results. Smile Direct does have a warranty, but you must abide by the 22 hour a day rule, or the warranty is void. Oh, did I forget to mention that when you're done with the course or aligners, for the rest of your life you'll need to wear a retainer overnight? All that for $99.00 every six months. The website claims that if you do not do this, your teeth will move back into the original configuration, the one you paid to change in the first place. If you've decided to move forward, good for you, it really has been working for me and I'm at the 1/2 way point. I think you'll be happy with the results, just take my advice and spring for the Dremel at the very least, you won't regret it.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Ken. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Megan

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I think all new companies have growing pains; complaints are par for the course. For me the aligners did not work but not because they didn't work, but because I had 2 cracked crowns in need of repair when I started out. Upon further discussion with SDC, they explained to me that the aligners will not work at this time, & to send the remaining unused aligners back for a refund. I did & they refunded me my money. I have seen other people complain about not being able to get a hold of anyone at SDC, but that has never been my experience; reps for SDC were always timely in their responses; and easy to reach. I received all my answers about everything from the aligners to delivery to refunds. The aligners were originally delivered to me in 3 weeks (half the time they said it would be.)

The one concern I had was the length of time it took for the refund (30) days, but no biggie. It was handled & refunded. Also, you have 30 days from the time you receive the aligners to send them back for a refund (if you have a change of heart or are not happy.) I have read reviews & seen vids where people have mentioned SDC will refine the aligners at the end of treatment in order to get your teeth as straight as possible. I think some people expect a magic pill + have zero patience in our fast paced, over-privileged, society.

Everyone wants something yesterday & they demand perfection as if they are royalty, and when they don't get it they fall back by complaining on Social Media. My understanding is that any plastic aligners may not work on back teeth (molars) or severely crooked teeth + will not fix severe under or overbites. (Be sure you have wisdoms out for room for the teeth to move) ...& don't use plastic aligners on cracked teeth. (That's my two cents.) :-) Best Wishes.

SmileDirectClub response

Bella, thank you so much for your honest review. We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback with us and are here for you if you ever need anything!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Smile Direct is awesome. Wish I'd known about it before my kids were bilked for thousands through their dentist. I financed through them too. Took about 9 mos to straighten out my "snaggleteeth" smile. Got retainers through them as well. It was fast easier, much faster, and faster less expensive than going through a traditional orthodontist (or even getting invisalign through the dentist)!!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: June 29, 2020

It mostly sorted out the top row of teeth for me. I feel like they probably won't stay. Bottom row did not end up like the graphic they sent said they would. The last 3 aligners wouldn't fit the bottom properly. The last 2 broke after wearing them for awhile. I've emailed customer support about it. They sent a link to upload pictures of my teeth. The link didn't work. Just takes me to a log in page and then dumps me at the "dashboard". Nowhere to upload any pictures. Then they responded a couple of days later and told me to just email the pictures to an email address. I did and no response. It's been 8 days. I spent a lot of money for this. Not really pleased at all.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello StJohn, thank you for leaving a review. No one should feel ignored and unheard during their smile journey with us. We take pride in our customer service and communication efforts so this is disappointing to see. For additional assistance, please reach out to reviews@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Valerie

Original review: June 29, 2020

I was offered deal of $1895 for aligners with $200 off coupon at 74.55 per month. They sent a contract for over $2200. I said, "No. That was not the offer." They were rude and said, "Oh well we will cancel then." So, instead they charged me a second time. So now they have $500 of mine, with no refund in site. I call and go on their chat everyday, each time they said, "Oh I'll process that today..." This has happened 5X. Still no refund. They are careless with other people's money and do not provide customer assurance. Fraudulent charges made to my bank. Hung up on over phone and chat also when asked for proof of refund.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Anne, thank you for leaving a review. Club members should not be charged more than once per order and should always be taken care of in a timely and respectful manner. Please reach out to reviews@smiledirectclub.com for assistance. Best, Valerie

Original review: June 26, 2020

I ordered the aligners and got the impression kit. Aligners were worn for 6 months plus. Before and after photos were identical - there was no change. I contacted them and they said they would send me another impression kit and we would try again under warranty. I got the impression kit in January, sent it back. Never heard from them again. I called in April and they said they had made a "mistake" but would fix it and ship my aligners. Called again June 10 (no communication from them of any kind during this time), the guy said to log on and look at my status online. Tried logging on and couldn't without paying again. It would not let me go to the next step without paying. He said wait 72 hours that they would fix it but that my program was approved and I would receive my new aligners in 5 to 6 weeks. Nothing.

Got an email June 26 stating "we have received your impressions". I called again and she said that she was very sorry but they initiated the wrong program as a new customer and they had to have the IT department go into the system and fix it. Then I get to start at the beginning again getting it approved in 5 to 7 business days then they will place the orders for my aligners which is 5 to 6 weeks. So we are looking mid to late August on an order I started in December. I asked the customer service rep I spoke with today to please take ownership of contacting me back instead of me being on hold over and over and going over the same items. Each person I spoke to had different "reasons" and different "solutions". Crossing my fingers that I get them eventually.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Michael, thank you for leaving a review. This is very disappointing to hear as no one should have to experience multiple delays in regard to their aligner order. For further assistance, please reach out to reviews@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Valerie

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: June 25, 2020

Customer service is impossible to reach by phone and they won't respond to emails. I received two bottom aligners in and no upper aligner. Couldn't get hold of customer service and they didn't respond to my email. Some aligners are not very well made and normally have many uncomfortable sharp edges. If you can afford it, go to an experienced orthodontist.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Donald, we are concerned to hear this. One should always be heard and taken care of in a respectful and timely manner. I will be following up via private message. Best, Valerie

Original review: June 19, 2020

The first set of reviews - I am dubious about. I only read the 1 star reviews after I started to have problems with this products. Not just here but other places too. NBC has done an episode on them, NY Times has and also The Verge. DO NOT DO THIS. Here's my experience and I would never do it again in a million years.

I will grant them - they have savvy branding and a well set up follow up on emails and texts for treatments. It is nice they have a chat line on the website. They look splashy and hip and their ads of hundreds of happy customers are well done. It seems easy, right? I chose the faster 22 hr a day aligner treatment. I have an overlapping front tooth on top and some that are starting to tilt a little. On bottom I have some front ones beginning to twist in. It sounded like this was a great answer.

It was NOT. I was nervous when I received the box to begin with - because there was a little plastic 'remover' tool. I need a tool?? That seemed a little scary. I could get them on and have a lot of trouble taking them off? Then, there is an emery board file. Huh? This is - and you absolutely will need it, trust me - so you can file down the sharp edges of the aligners. You are not recommended to start with that but just 'you might need this'... You WILL need it. I wish I had known to start filing them down from the get go. The first try on was scary - they are really really tight. Ok, they are mean to move your teeth, I can roll with that. I needed the tool to remove them for sure. A LOT of pressure on your teeth.

I started then wearing after I practiced a few times on and off. I was SO uncomfortable - it was like someone was smashing my face with their fist. My sinuses felt massive amounts of pressure, as did my nose. I didn't have any idea that would be uncomfortable. As purported in their literature - you will have drooling from the saliva that is responding to a foreign object in the mouth. A lot of saliva. They say it will go away. It only minimized, didn't go away after the first 24 hrs. As purported, you 'may have' a lisp - I did, which did. I am an actor - and also a life coach - this was really a bad side effect and a problem for my working life. I couldn't even really talk to someone on the phone with them on, I had to take them off.

After the end of that first day - my tongue hurt a lot. Like someone had scraped IT all day long with the little purple emery board they sent!?? The top of it was stinging from it hitting the sharp edge of the top retainer when I talked. The sides of it had abrasions on it - from hitting the sharp edges of both the bottom and the top aligners! My tongue was traumatized.

I chatted with a "dental team assistant". I am dubious that this person is an actual Dental Assistant. They were nice enough, sure. I was suggested to stop wearing the aligners until my tongue healed and to use the little purple emery board to file the edges. It took three days for my tongue to go back to normal at least. After I stopped wearing them for about an hour - my top of tongue that was stinging felt like after ** starts to wear off. That means - the nerves were actually starting to get damaged and numb - and I was beginning to get feeling back in my tongue... yikes!

Also, a little scary. I had bruises on the underside of my tongue that looked really frightening. Then, it was clear - the edges of the aligners that are made on a 3D printer I am assuming - are really abrasive and sharp. I thought - why would ANYONE make a product like this? Read other reviews about abrasions to the mouth! Why wouldn't they simply take the time to polish out those edges for the customers? If you want to know what the edges feel like - get a plastic coffee top cover or a soda plastic top cover - run your finger back and forth over the edges - then imagine that being in your mouth all day long. My lips on the bottom of my mouth in front also abraised. So - fair enough - still willing to 'file down the edges' as instructed and give it a go.

Bottom line - you can't file them down - and my husband is a Maker, he knows how to do things like this - enough. Not enough to STOP it from scraping your mouth up a great deal. You can 'trim them' as suggested, and file and file all you want. It still was not enough to keep my mouth from being damaged on the inside a lot.

Finally, I heard from another customer service person who - when I asked could I just wear them at night? for more ease and less tongue movement with talking - said I had only been approved for the 22 hr wear, and go back to wearing them 22 hrs a day. The 10 hours at nighttime was not an option. Why not? It would just mean my progress would be a lot slower. I didn't care, as long as I was OUT OF PAIN! So, I was being guided by a customer service person of theirs - just keep wearing them. Whaaaa?

Let's talk about the pain of the aligners that was not about my tongue or mouth... good gravy??!! Putting them on was intense. Taking them off was intense. They loosen up a little by the end of a week. But - a lot of my face was in such intense pressure while wearing - as if a vise grip was squeezing my whole mouth. It was so very uncomfortable!!!! And, actually - I had no idea until I stopped wearing them - the kind of effect that had on my nervous system! It was intense. The amount of relief I got when I decided after two weeks I had enough - was overwhelming. My body finally went out of fight or flight. I couldn't have done six months of that, I can't imagine how - even without all the mouth abrasions.

It may not be this way for someone who has very small needs of how their teeth need to move. Man - it was like torture for me. I felt like I was in a head vise prison. I wept when I went to bed the first night because I wasn't in all that pain for the first time in two weeks. If you read the legal info for the reasons that dentists and orthodontists want this company to be unable to operate - it is because the teeth are being 'moved too fast'. I can certainly see why now, and attest to that.

I don't like that they have bought off many people to keep them from negative reviews, or to keep them from suing. I don't like that one dentist has over a 100 cases a day or something like that which they must review. But MAINLY, I don't like that they have a product which creates so much damage for so many - and are not being responsible about it = so they can continue to make a blessed buck. It is not RIGHT to do this process without the HANDS ON - not virtual - care of a knowledgeable dentist. For all the reasons stated above.

A dentist you saw could file down the edges with a professional care and equipment. They could see if they didn't fit properly, they could see if your teeth were being moved too fast or the bit became incorrect. Virtual Dentistry - has NO place in society. Warby Parker and glasses are cool - they aren't gonna damage your face. This dentistry with Smile Direct Aligners have literally hurt hundreds of people - and those are only the ones we know about. Thank GOD I stopped!!!! Getting a refund is no peach - either. At first they had me just wanting to keep using the product and asked me if I would. Umm, no thanks.

Then, took a while to get an answer from support team. Then, took another while to actually get them to agree to refund me. THEN, they sent me the legal agreement - so I wouldn't sue them BUT that NDA is there in paragraph 6 where you agree not to ever say anything not nice about them. Don't sign that. You don't have to. They owe you the refund, period. Then, they sent the same legal agreement, even though I asked them to take out the NDA part - hoping I would sign it again. You see where they are coming from? Such a paradigm of ridiculousness. There are many people who have had it far worse than I have - as you will read reviews here and other places. Broken teeth, changed bites, needs for crowns from cracked teeth! OY.

Bottom line - their 'save your money from going to a real dentist to straighten teeth' platform - is both dangerous and unethical. Don't do it my friend, don't do it.

There are other ways. I am still waiting on my refund weeks later. Fortunately I did my financing through CareCredit - NOT theirs or I would be as screwed as many other people have been. Carecredit will go to bat for me, and they are.

It is weeks since I stopped using them. My tongue STILL is damaged and not the same as it was, it tingles and the nerves are not right. My face took about a week to stop feeling like someone punched me in it. AND, my teeth now have a weird - they are hitting wrong when I talk in front that I never had before??!! I will see a real dentist in order to actually get my teeth straightened PROPERLY at some point. I will just pay the higher amount to have dental safety. BOTTOM LINE = This product is NOT safe. #smiledirectclub #smiledirectclubreviews #customerservicefail #dentalaligners

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, J. We are very concerned to hear this. Please reach out to us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if you are needing any further assistance.

Original review: June 11, 2020

The final retainers did not even fit my teeth--trying them on was painful, and I am now left with little alternative because the customer service lines won't pick up the phone! There's no easy self-service digital portal, and the "professionals" who were assigned to me have been unresponsive.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Zhuo. We are very concerned to hear this and want to get this issue resolved for you. Please reach out to us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com for further assistance.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
      Original review: June 6, 2020

I am Canadian but I winter in Florida. I ordered the aligners in February 2020 and that’s where I received them; at my Florida winter address. I found the aligners to be quite painful they cut my mouth and tongue even though I filed them the way SmileDirect instructed. So I have the added expense of buying orthodontic wax and using it every single day to protect my tongue and the sides of my mouth from the aligners. Then I ordered my retainers in May 2020 from my Canadian address when there was three weeks left in my treatment plan as per the SmileDirectClub instructions. I included my Canadian address to which the retainers were to be shipped. Smile direct did not notify me that they were not going to ship the retainers to my Canadian address nor did they confirm that they were shipping the retainers to my Florida address.

I checked the UPS tracking information only to find that the retainers had been delivered to my Florida address on May 26. I called customer service at the smile direct club and there was nothing that they could do for me with regards to getting my retainers to me because they do not ship to an address that is different than the original address on the account. I was never informed of this when I first ordered my aligners. I have been told by SmileDirect customer service that a refund for the retainers is being processed. However I am very unsatisfied as of now I have no retainers to maintain the position of my teeth once the treatment plan ends on Friday June 12, 2020.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Elaine. We are very concerned to hear this. Please reach out to us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com for further assistance.

Megan

Original review: June 5, 2020

So frustrated. I went through their whole initial process, and followed all the directions. I sent my kit in in time, along with the photos. And they sent me an email saying it was all accepted. Well, a couple days later they email and text me saying, "Oh actually, we need you to redo everything for another $29." No thanks! I’ll pass. I’m just frustrated I wasted so much time already.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Cheleana. We are very concerned to hear this and want to get this issue resolved for you. Please reach out to us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com for further assistance.

Megan

Original review: May 29, 2020

I gave them a credit card ahead of time to hold a spot for my appointment. I gave them an HSA card to pay for the aligners and they charged my other credit card, which they had no authorization to do. I spent hours on the phone with them trying to correct this, and they ended up saying they would not correct the transaction because I already received my aligners. I wasn't unwilling to pay them, I wanted them to use the credit card I authorized. Terrible customer service.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Alanna. We are very concerned to hear this and want to get this issue resolved for you. Please reach out to us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com for further assistance.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 28, 2020

Tried cancelling after my third failed treatment plan. My bottom teeth were mildly crowded and the aligners did not straighten them. My top teeth were always straight, but during my second treatment plan a gap was created in my top teeth. I was told to stop wearing the aligners immediately as this was not intended. The same gap appeared in my top teeth during third treatment, this time my emails went unanswered so I stopped wearing the top aligners until I could reach someone. I continued wearing my bottom aligners and completed treatment, but teeth didn’t improve.

After months of unanswered emails and lies I was told I won’t get a refund because I stopped treatment. This was told to me by the same dentist that told me to discontinue use for the exact same thing during round two of treatment. I explained previously many times that I reached out for advice but no one would respond. I requested cancellation because my bottom teeth didn’t straighten, but they’re using the fact that the top aligners damaged my top teeth as a way to say I breached contract. Best part is they are trying to bullying me into signing an agreement that says it’s my fault this didn’t work or they won’t refund me for a $99 retainer purchase that I never received. Honestly the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. It’s actually comical how ridiculous it is. They literally just ignore you and pretend no one ever received emails.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Jade. We are very concerned to hear this and want to get this issue resolved for you. Please reach out to us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com for further assistance.

Megan

Original review: May 26, 2020

A month ago I placed an order. I received the kit, turned in my photos, got approved, and never had anything again. At one time they had a live chat option where I asked someone when I would receive it. They said wait up to 4 weeks to process. I can no longer find the live chat, and refuse to wait on hold another hour. I contacted them through email and received no response. The reviews on their website are truly fluffed up.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Angel. We are very concerned to hear this and want to get this issue resolved for you. Please reach out to us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com for further assistance.

Megan

Original review: May 18, 2020

I repeat do not waste your money and time on this product! I waited so long to get my aligner set and when I finally received it they didn't fit whatsoever so I decided to wait for the smile scan bus that was going to be in town to submit a new impression. Few weeks pass after submitting smile NOTHING. Basically waiting for a new aligner which never came caused me to miss the cancelation date. So now I only get 58$ back out of the 85$ payment plus 250$ kit. I should of never wasted my time and money with this bullshit business. I would avoid at all costs. Learned my lesson.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Brook. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Megan

Original review: May 17, 2020

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Why you ask?? I was first promised a better smile in 16 weeks, which sounded great however the reality is a total of 12 plus months (and 2 sets of 2 month refinements) and not the smile they originally promised me at the beginning. Teeth are still crooked. The refinements were also sent to the wrong address twice and I had to wait 3 months to get a set. At the end of this 12 plus months of trying without success to get what I was originally promised I deicide that this simply was not going to work and instead of getting my 3rd set of refinements I contacted the company asking for a refund. I let them know I was unsatisfied with the whole experience and simply wanted my money back.

I got an email after 4 emails to them over several months that they were sending me an impression kit and charged my visa for it. Charge was not authorized and impressions kit was not approved. Visa fraud?? Shady company. The company passes you around and takes forever to get back to you. I just want my money back and a set of retainers that I paid for sent to me. I want to keep my teeth in their current position until I can get in to an orthodontist. Please do not use them. Check out the Better Business Bureau if you need more proof!!

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Jack. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Megan

Original review: May 10, 2020

Lost a tooth into third set. Cancelled and four months later, still waiting for refund and stopping reauthorized payments on a product that I no longer have. They were sent back. After several dozen times of contacting them, the latest illegal advise was to call a bank of someone else's credit card (that was used for downpayment) and have them put it on yours. I told them it was impossible to do so. They couldn't fathom why??? Brain dead or corrupt??? Most difficult company to deal with and questionable business practices. I would never recommend this company!!!!

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Shannon. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Megan

Original review: May 9, 2020

So I started with doing my molds at home 6 months. I had an out of place tooth on my bottom teeth. Nothing major. Otherwise I have nice straight teeth. Nothing changes. Call them to complain. They suggest I go in to a location. Maybe the fit was wrong. Ok do that. 3 more months no change. Get sent back again. 2 more months nothing is working. No one calls back. This was the worse purchase ever, splurge and get real braces. I wish I hadn't wasted my money....and they are still charging me.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Dana. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Megan

Original review: May 5, 2020

The people that work at this location are so nice! Five stars for them. But the reality is that this product did not work for me and because the product didn't work, I'm giving one star. I tried the aligners for TWO YEARS and after not achieving the desired result after three cycles of aligners, I have given up. My teeth would shift slightly, but not enough to permanently stay in place. And after you complete treatment and you no longer wear them, your teeth immediately shift back. On top of that, the aligner material itself is cheap and breaks easily compared to Invisalign. I know this, because 15 years ago I used Invisalign and it actually worked. But many years later, after not wearing a retainer, my teeth shifted back. Smile Direct Club club is a cheap imitation and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The aligners often don't fit properly and they crack very very easily.

To add insult to injury, I requested a refund and I'm only getting 60% back. Smile Direct Club requested photos of my teeth and they feel that there was some improvement so they can't approve the full amount. I sent photos to compare my teeth from two years ago to today, showcasing that they are exactly the same but Kristy the account manager disagreed. What can I do but accept that. Thanks for doing something, I guess. The bottom line is don't waste your money. Traditional braces are the way to go. Or Invisalign. You get what you pay for in life and smile direct club certainly is no exception.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Joe. We just recently gained access to these reviews, so we're sorry for the delay. If you still need assistance, we're here for you and would be more than happy to help at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Megan

Original review: May 4, 2020

I signed up for the 6 months plan, the 6 months has been finished and still the gap not fully closed. I called them and they resumed 3 months more and still the gap not closed. I'm so disappointed, just wasted 9 months and still didn't get the result I want.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Rakan. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I don't understand how this company can still be in business.... It starts off with the best customer service until you realize you have been scammed. I put the $250 down. Received my aligners first week. Bloody gums. 2nd week top aligners didn’t fit. I was told to keep the first week aligners on for another week. 3rd week neither top nor bottoms fit. NOW I WANT A REFUND AND WANT IT CANCELED. Who has time for products that don’t work while you're still getting billed. Doesn’t make sense. So I canceled within 30 days.

I mailed them back on April 4. They say they received them on the 11th ok...”WAIT 2-10 business days” then “WAIT 10-14 business days” then “WAIT ANOTHER 3-5 business days” then after 2 weeks they say, ”Oh no one processed your refund. Wait another 2-10 business days”...I’ve been billed since the aligners been sent back. I’ve called Olivia M the finance manager over 10x. I’ve emailed her. I was told on May 1st she was going to call. STILL NOTHING. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. I call May 2nd. I was told “wait 2-10 MORE BUSINESS DAYS.” WHERE'S THE OWNERS WHO'S RUNNING THIS COMPANY. They have many many complaints and class action lawsuits.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Vanessa. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Although there were issues from the beginning such as my appointment time being double booked, the promotion discount I was offered was never given, and the aligners came in reversed with the last set first, these things can be overlooked if the system actually worked. Be aware that bad reviews from their own site are blocked making it appear that they have 4.5 and 5 star reviews. I know this because I gave a 1 star review that was not posted.

The risk with these aligners is that they change your bite and misalign other parts of your teeth. While it is straightening the top the bottom will be misaligned. Your bite will be changed causing your facial structure to also change. You can be left with a worse situation than you started as was in my case. Now there are more reviews online and professional opinions that explain how this system lacks the capability of correcting your smile. The dentist is nonexistent at Smile Direct Club and you will always be dealing with an incompetent call center. Pay for a professional to get the work done right.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Jessica. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Megan

Original review: April 19, 2020

Stay away, it's not worth the headache. I have seen an orthodontist, they said Invisalign will fix my issues. However Smile Direct Club after sending me my aligners, I also saw the 3d prediction of what my smile would look like. They upload it a day or two after the product has already shipped. Which means if you are smart and actually take a look at the prediction and realize they will leave you with a bigger dental problem than its worth, you will still have to wait till it arrives and then play phone tag just to get information about how to return and get a refund. By the way I never received a call not once. I requested a refund March 25, I have received neither my money or a call. They conduct shady business.

I have multiple emails and screenshots of chat messages asking for help and all I'm told is to wait to get a call. When I finally received shipping information I sent it out right away although they confirmed they received it I still haven't gotten my money back. They do not care about your dental health and they are perfectly happy with leaving you with bigger dental problems later but will say you have straight teeth. This is the problem most ppl will run into because the company has a timeframe to make the most out of the money you are paying. They will cut corners and apply an excruciating amount of pressure on your teeth in order to make it happen. Stay away.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Sandra. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Original review: April 15, 2020

DO NOT USE SMILEDIRECT. GO TO A REAL ORTHODONTIST. I used smile direct for 5 months. Over those five months, the aligners caused my gums to recede severely, (yes I filed them down, it happened regardless) even to the point of being a candidate for gum graft surgery, as my local dentist brought to my attention.

Smile Direct tried to say the recession was "pre-existing" when pre-aligners, the photos show that is simply not true. My gums were completely healthy and normal. In addition to that, the aligners have ruined my bite, so now my teeth only touch on the right side when I bite down, causing me jaw pain in my left side. These are issues that can arise with any aligner treatment, the only difference is, Smile Direct doesn't assist or pay for any of their clients to get these issues taken care of, like a real orthodontist would.

As a result, I called to try and cancel my treatment, and order retainers so I could at least keep my top teeth in place. The agent either LIED to me or was misinformed, and said I could cancel/start the return process and still get retainers made AND he scheduled an appointment with a local smile shop branch to get my retainers made, and sent me the refund/return information email, and I began the return process and sent back the box with all the aligners. However because of the Virus outbreak, I found out the same day of the appt. that the shop was closed, so I called to find out if they could send me an impression kit.

A different agent tells me now, that NO it's not possible to order retainers now, since I cancelled my service with smile direct. Why the hell didn't the first agent tell me that before I cancelled? The reason I had to rush to cancel was to avoid being charged the monthly fee from HealthCare finance direct... for aligners I no longer use!!!! This company does not CARE about scamming people and causing bigger issues with patients teeth. They can not get away with this.

Now I have to go to an Invisalign Ortho to correct the issues with my bite and because I had to stop wearing my lower aligners, and I don't any retainers, my teeth have all moved back to where they were on the bottom. Thankfully I kept the last set of my top aligners, and that's what I'm using as a retainer. This is an AWFUL. Company that will cause you more pain, headaches, and money wasted. Go to a REAL orthodontist.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Haydee. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Original review: April 15, 2020

This company made several mistakes with my young daughter’s order. She saved money from her summer job to get the treatment and paid from her own pocket. I got involved since she wasn’t getting a response, had to fill a BBB complaint and at the end, they promised to resolved just to not fulfill their promise, BBB closed the case stating that the company said they will correct the issue. This started back I September of 2019 and here we are without any resolution, just want to make everybody aware that this company will not honor their representatives' word, as with any corporation you don’t get a real customer service and have to spend lots of time to even get an answer, save yourself the trouble and money.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Gonzalo. We just recently gained access to these reviews, so we're sorry for the delay. If you still need assistance, we're here for you and would be more than happy to help at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Megan

Original review: April 11, 2020

I wore the Invisaligners exactly as required for the entire 5 months and my teeth are worse than when I started. The company will NOT cancel my account and is threatening collections. There is no guarantee nor do they ever admit fault. Please go to a real orthodontist.

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Amy. We just recently gained access to these reviews, so we're sorry for the delay. If you still need assistance, we're here for you and would be more than happy to help at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I requested a cancellation as my dentist has informed me that my teeth as worse off now than before when I started. I have been emailing for over a month now to no avail. Getting harassed by their financer after I was promised I would be taken care of. Do not use this service!!!

SmileDirectClub response

Thanks so much for leaving us a review, Brooke. We just recently gained access to these reviews, so we're sorry for the delay. If you still need assistance, we're here for you and would be more than happy to help at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: April 9, 2020

SDC is terrible. I completed the online application explaining my dental history and concerns. The company reviewed this and told me their product will work. That’s when they started fraudulently taking my money. After the impression kit was returned and aligners provided, they now tell me their product cannot accomplish what they initially promised. Ok, no harm. Cancel the service please. 4 months later, they’re still stealing My money. Over $600.00 now. Their customer service is non- existent. No one responds. It is IMPOSSIBLE to cancel this service. They have literally left me with no other option other than to close my bank account. At which point I assume they will pursue collection based on other reviews. After reading these reviews, there should be a class action lawsuit filed against this company. BEWARE.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Russell. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Megan

Original review: April 7, 2020

I was and still am trying to purchase aligners from this company. However, they are extremely unresponsive to emails, as I have emailed them following the dissapearance of my order on the card with the aligners I sent back. My credit card information is on this form, and I have had to close my bank account because if this information is in the wrong hands someone has access to my hard earned money. SmileDirectClub have been more than happy to canvas call me, to send me multiple emails asking me if I would like to order (which I already stipulated that I did on the card I returned) however they are continuing to ignore my emails, but still call me and send their generic emails. This company must either be run by robots or by people who don't communicate with each other and/or their customers. I am still yet to receive a response to any of my correspondence, and I won't treat them like a human being until they treat me like one.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Teresa. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

SmileDirectClub Company Information