3.8/5 (1576 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Vincent Landino

About SmileDirectClub

SmileDirectClub’s invisible braces give you a way to improve your smile that’s more affordable than traditional braces. A licensed dentist or orthodontist crafts each treatment plan, but you can complete your clear aligner treatment without ever going into a doctor’s office. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay: upfront ($2,050) or in installments of $89 each over 26 months with a $250 deposit.

Pros

• Discreet, clear aligners
  • Less expensive than metal braces
  • Offers a payment plan with no credit check
  • Treatment only takes four to six months

Cons

• Retainers not included
  • Not suitable for severe corrections

Bottom Line

SmileDirectClub specializes in custom clear aligners users can wear during the day or overnight. Its treatments are more accessible than traditional braces but not suitable for everyone.

Top SmileDirectClub Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had already been to my dentist and had asked about their options but it was really expensive. ... When I've seen the commercials for SmileDirectClub, they were talking about it ...

Verified

The impression kits came with very clear and easy to use instructions. Simple kit to use and return, with a clear process online of what was happening. I used a promotion to get t...

SmileDirectClub products

What is SmileDirectClub?

SmileDirectClub is a dental care company that provides invisible braces for those who need mild to moderate teeth correction.

You can find out if you’re eligible by requesting an impression kit and sending it back to the company for an assessment. Alternatively, you can visit a SmileShop location for a free 3D scan. Each case is reviewed by a state-licensed orthodontist or dentist who creates a personalized treatment plan.

SmileDirectClub treatment lasts four to six months on average. The company ships all aligners (along with a whitening system) to your door about two to three weeks after you send back your impression kit.

You can choose between regular SmileDirectClub aligners, which require 22 hours per day of wear, or Nighttime Aligners, which you wear for 10 hours every night. In addition to regular check-ups, you have access to the dental team 24/7 by chat, live video, phone or email.

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Take SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website to see if you're a candidate for treatment.
  2. SmileDirectClub's team will email you with options to get started; you can order an at-home impression kit or book an appointment at a SmileShop.
  3. SmileDirectClub creates a 3D image of your smile by either performing a scan at your SmileShop or processing the molds from your impression kit. The company's technicians use proprietary software to create a draft treatment plan.
  4. A state-licensed doctor reviews your 3D image, photos of your teeth and your dental/medical history to determine candidacy for clear aligner therapy. They then review and approve your treatment plan.
  5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you your prescribed aligners and free tooth-whitening kit. It molds each aligner to match the contours of your teeth and gums for a comfortable fit.
  6. You wear your aligners for a certain amount of time each day, taking them out for eating and drinking.
  7. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s teledentistry platform. Virtual check-ins occur regularly.
  8. After your treatment is over, you’ll wear a retainer to maintain your new smile.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: its original aligners and its Nighttime Aligners. The original aligners can straighten your smile in four to six months if you wear them 22 hours a day. They’re better for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime Aligners are only for overnight wear and have a longer average treatment time — about 10 months.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay for aligners:

• Upfront: A one-time payment of $2,050
  • SmilePay: A $250 down payment and 26 monthly payments of $89

SmilePay lets you stretch out the expense of your aligner treatment to about $3 per day across the entire repayment term, but you’ll pay more in the long run ($2,564 total).

The impression kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $59 at the time of publishing. However, the company frequently offers discounts and rebates on this kit. Also, SmileDirectClub refunds the cost if it determines the program won’t work for you, so there’s little risk in trying it out.

SmileDirectClub works with most major insurers, including UnitedHealthcare and Aetna. You can also pay using CareCredit or HSA (health savings account) or FSA (flexible spending account) funds to purchase from SmileDirectClub.

How does SmileDirectClub compare?

Lots of companies offer invisible braces these days, and their products and services can be difficult to tell apart at a quick glance. To help, we’ve compared SmileDirectClub with several of its competitors. Our takeaways:

SmileDirectClub also made it into our list of the cheapest teeth aligners.

SmileDirectClub FAQ

Does SmileDirectClub work?
SmileDirectClub can help with minor to moderate teeth correction, including crowding, space between teeth and some bite issues. In order to find out if you’re a candidate for SmileDirectClub treatment, visit a SmileShop for a 3D scan or order an impression kit.
Does SmileDirectClub take insurance?
SmileDirectClub works with many insurers, including UnitedHealthcare, Aetna and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. You can check your eligibility for insurance coverage on SmileDirectClub’s website.
Who owns SmileDirectClub?
SmileDirectClub is a public company, so it’s owned by its shareholders. It was founded in 2014 by Alex Fenkell and Jordan Katzman.
Is SmileDirectClub safe?
Every SmileDirectClub treatment is prescribed, directed and managed by state-licensed doctors who have at least five years of experience with aligner therapy. Customers get regular virtual appointments with dental professionals and have 24/7 access to SmileDirectClub’s dental care team.
Is SmileDirectClub trustworthy?
SmileDirectClub has generally positive consumer reviews on our site at the time of publishing. However, like with any health care topic, it’s smart to do your own research and consult with your doctor to make the right decision for you.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth without the cost of traditional braces and you have only minor to moderate tooth issues. There’s little risk to learning if you’re a candidate for treatment with SmileDirectClub, and the company includes a “Lifetime Smile Guarantee.”

Though some have reported poor results, SmileDirectClub seems to be good about resolving these issues, and the company works with state-licensed doctors to design and monitor each treatment plan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: May 25, 2022

SmileDirectClub was the least expensive. I didn't trust myself to do the impression at home, so I went in. They did the 3D thing in their office. And they mailed me the stuff. I've had a couple of retouches, which every time, they would reject and make me pay more, because I get to the end of it and there's this one tooth that had this problem. So, I would send in pictures, and they would redo my plan and make it longer. This is the third time. I'm done now. I got the results I wanted. Each time, I thought there was no way they would approve it, but they did. They kept it up until I got to where I wanted to be without giving me more charges. They said, “As long as you're following your plan and doing your doctor update, that you can redo stuff until you're happy.” They stood by that. So, I've been very happy with it.

My only concern not going to the dentist is maybe there's not enough space. And that's why my teeth are overcrowded. So, the results are great. If I skip a day of wearing the night thing, that tooth will move. And that concerns me. But that has to do with the fact that I didn't get a tooth pulled with a dentist. If I don't stay on this and I don't wear something for a month, I bet that I would have to redo this. I felt I would have to always wear the night one. If I wanna keep them like this, I have to wear the night thing. But it works.

Also, the whitening stuff that SmileDirect has works big time. If you go in and they use the ultraviolet lights on your teeth with a dentist, they send that. You put that on your teeth for 10 minutes. If you do that twice a week, after two weeks, it makes a noticeable difference. I told my dad he doesn't to be a customer to order that. He can just go on SmileDirect and find their whitening thing and buy it. And it doesn’t hurt my teeth. So, if you’re looking for something, it’s affordable and it works. I would recommend SmileDirect to anybody.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Kandi, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at SmileDirectClub!

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

SmileDirectClub's customer service is excellent. Unfortunately, I had a problem. The first aligners fit great up until week four, then I couldn't get the bottoms in. SmileDirectClub sent me new ones in a week, which was great. The second time it happened, I couldn't get the tops or the bottoms in after a couple of weeks, and it took three weeks to get new ones. SmileDirect told me just to wear the ones that I had in. They were so loose, they were falling out. But it took a long time to get those. So, I'm still wearing them. The bottom teeth are much better. The top ones still have a gap. I had a sore in my mouth. I called and SmileDirect told me not to wear them for a week. So, that put me back a week.

I thought it would be so easy, but it wasn't, as far every time I eat, I got to take them out. When I first put them in, the first couple of times I tried to take them out, it was hard. That was great because that means they're working. But that's a pain. If I'm going out with friends for the day, I have to graze all day so I don't put them in. Or I bring them with me, but sometimes I'm in the car putting them on, coming home. Because I got to find someplace to brush my teeth and I don't like brushing my teeth in a public bathroom. So, I wish SmileDirect would come up with some kind of a rinse that I could rinse my mouth out and put them back in. Other than that, their program where they can look in people's mouths from their office is cool. It's very helpful and it makes me feel like they are trying to get me done.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

I did some research and found out that SmileDirectClub had an office where I could go to to be scanned instead of doing it on my own through the mail. So, I went in and I dealt with them directly. I love SmileDirect. I ended up going 18 months on their plan with my aligners and now I'm on my retainers. I had so many good comments about how nice my teeth look. I've been very self-conscious about my front teeth, especially the crooked teeth, my entire life, and at 68 years old, I finally did something about it.

I was only supposed to be in the program for the 12 months and towards the end, I was having a problem that the aligners weren't fitting right when I'd go into the next set. So, they set up an appointment for me to go back into the office and they rescanned me. They started from scratch and put me in for another six months. And it's been great working with everybody, whether it's been on the phone or in person at the office. They really worked with me.

My two front top teeth are big and with them being crooked and overlapping, I would take pictures and everybody would always say that I was not smiling. But now, when are pictures taken, I'll smile and I feel great about it. My teeth are aligned the way they're supposed to be and it's so much better. I'm really happy with the results. My bottom teeth weren't that bad because they didn't show that much but Smile Direct tweaked them a little bit, so what was a little off with them is straight now also.

I wish that I had friends or family that needed to have teeth straightened because I would highly recommend them. And I know they have the thing that if you recommend somebody, they get 100 off and I get 100. That happened when I first saw SmileDirect. I had a friend who lives out of state that when I was telling her about it, she said she was in their program. So, she got the code and she got the $100, then I got $100 off my aligners when I first got into the program.

SmileDirectClub response

We are grinning from ear to ear. Thank you for the support, Carol. We are always here for yo

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

When I checked WhiteCoin, there was a coupon that I could redeem for SmileDirect. So one morning, I clicked on it, then I went to the SmileDirect location at a CVS right down the street. I had my braces but on my bottom teeth, I never got the wire implant type thing that they glue in. So, my teeth had majorly shifted worse than what they looked like before I had braces. And my mom was all over that and really influenced my decision to do SmileDirect.

I thought it was going to take so long with them and that it was going to be super painful. I also didn't expect the aligners to be so clear. Even my boyfriend would never know when I had them in. So, I really liked the product. When I moved to California, I had the box sent here and there were a lot of times where I was meeting new people or going to school and no one ever realized that I had them in. I was very impressed with SmileDirect. Aside from that, when I bought the retainer, I called them and the rep I dealt with was really nice.

I used to joke that I had Will Ferrell teeth, but now, I joke with my family that the Will Ferrell teeth are gone. There is a little bit of a gap towards the root of my two teeth that were crossed and I don't know if that's just because my gums haven't adjusted. But they look amazing, looking from an overhead view. The treatment took four months and it was crazy. Now, I don't hear any more complaints from my mother and I feel so much more confident about my teeth and my smile. Also, there was so much that came in the box that they sent out. The whiteners that they sent work very well and they don't make my teeth really sensitive like a lot of other ones do. If you were on the fence about it, I 100% recommend it. My insurance didn't cover it because I had braces already but I paid $2,000 out of pocket and I'm 20. It was a big financial decision to make, but it was very much worth it.

SmileDirectClub response

Hey Carston. Thank you so much for this 5-star review! We appreciate you taking the time to share. We’re here for you at any time.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I was going to do the impression kit but I was very skeptical because I have a crossbite and my jaw wasn’t aligned correctly. So it took me a little while to go through with the process. I ordered the impression kit but I never sent it back. Then I got an email saying that the truck would be coming through and I could get a 3D scan. I wanted to go in and talk to someone at SmileDirectClub to make sure that it would be a good fit for me. So I went in, talked to somebody, and the girl assured me that I will be good. Even with me having a crossbite, she said I will be fine. So I did the 3D scan.

My treatment went great. The only thing was that half the aligners don't fit properly. I had an appointment to go and get another 3D scan so my top aligners could fit properly. But I caught COVID and I had to reschedule. I haven't rescheduled yet. The bottom row of the retainers that I’m wearing now fit perfectly, but the top row doesn’t fit completely. My aligners were like that as well, but it was still straightening my teeth. It wasn't a big deal to me because I was going to be switching aligners within two weeks. With the retainer, I wanted to make sure they fit properly because I will be wearing them for six months at a time. But I'm happy with the outcome.

I had to reach out to SmileDirectClub during the first day because it was really hard to put the aligners in. They should spend more Movemints when they're sending the kit. We constantly have to change the aligners but we won’t get so many Movemints, and sometimes, one Movemints doesn’t help. I almost went through half a bag of Movemints with my first aligner, because it wasn’t working out right. Other than that, my journey with SmileDirectClub was amazing. They did a good job with setting us up with some of the things that we would need. When I did have to talk to somebody, it was good. I really like the feature where they can video chat with us and see the problem that’s going on. Because it's kind of hard to explain to somebody what your problem is, but it will make it easier if I could just show what I’m talking about.

SmileDirectClub response

Kelishia, we really appreciate your feedback! We’re here for you at any time.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 21, 2022

I have some mild to moderate crowding in my lower front teeth from age, but my top teeth are already straight and perfect... I was NOT told that they couldn't even FIX mild to moderate crowding. I thought that was the point of invisible aligners? A few days after wasting my time getting my scan, I'm told they can't fix my bottom teeth but they can't wait to send me my top aligners. I didn't even want or need top aligners! But they couldn't wait to try to take my money for that. After reading all these reviews I'm SO happy that it didn't work out. This company is awful and isn't honest.

SmileDirectClub response

Our Club Members' satisfaction is very important to us, Catherine, and we are always here to help in any way we can. We are quite concerned to hear about this situation and we would like to have a better look into this. In order for us to further assist, we will be reaching out by private message through this platform.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I did the whole program with SmileDirectClub and then, COVID happened, and I didn't get any retainer for a while. Now, I have the program again. There should be a check-in such as if you used to see a regular orthodontist. But other than that, everything is fine.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there, thank you so much for your high rating! Please be sure that we're always here to help in anyway we can. If further assistance is needed just give us a call or contact us through DM in any of our platforms and we will be happy to assist.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Once I found the phone number ('cause everybody wants to use an app for every single thing) and I was to get ahold of somebody from SmileDirectClub, it was great customer service. However, they could provide an educational process of what's going to happen. I can get a booklet and flip through it, but I'm not gonna intensively take it. To watch some video recording about something, I may or may not do that as well. They could say, "Hey, this is what you're gonna get and what's gonna happen. And these are some of the things you might run into. These are the things to be aware of. This is how you know if you need help or if you're succeeding at what we want you to have." It would help to have some milestones or some ways to track one's progress without just, "Hey, my tray isn't fitting right." "Come in and we'll scan again," then a month later, it's not working and one keeps doing it.

The program was supposed to be six months, then it kept tweaking over the process. I had to get a couple of different aligners because they would warp. The process extended for longer than what I thought. I've been using the product for close to two years, and I love the progress that SmileDirectClub made in that time period. I also feel pretty good about my smile right now. There are moments where I wish I could get a bit more tweaking on it, but for what I paid for, I'm satisfied at this moment. I might go back in, but right now, I'm just using the retainer like I need to.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Steven. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. We're concerned to see that it wasn't a 5-star experience. If you have any feedback about your experience or need any help, please send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Jeff.

Original review: June 10, 2022

I was looking on ways to straighten my teeth without using actual braces. I saw Invisalign ad and also a SmileDirect ad. But SmileDirect was cheaper, so I went with them. For the process, all I did was get online, and told them what I wanted. They reviewed it and said that I was qualified for it. I did it all at home. They sent me impressions. I did those and sent them back. Within a couple of weeks, I had all my aligners and went through the process. After I was done, ordered my retainers and did good. I was pretty impressed on how it was gonna work out because I've never done anything like that before. But it did really good.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Alison, thank you for your kind review. We are super excited for you and also to hear about this experience. Thank you so much for sharing the smiles.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 10, 2022

I have used their teeth aligners per their instructions and after 80% of the treatment I am at the very same place. I have endured severe headaches and my mouth is very sensitive but there has been no noticeable results. I have reached out to them to no avail. They do not rerun my messages. I feel scammed! They make me feel like an idiot. Do not waste your money, you’ll be sorry like I am!

SmileDirectClub response

Our Club Members' satisfaction is very important to us, Angel, and we are always here to help in any way we can. We are quite concerned to hear about this situation and we would like to have a better look into this. In order for us to further assist, we will be reaching out by private message through this platform.

SmileDirectClub Company Information