Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5
New year, new choices. Choose smile! $18 kit (free after rebate) use code: NYNY18KIT2021 for offer! *
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

Beginning in 2014, SmileDirectClub has helped over one million people straighten their crooked teeth and transform their smiles without the discomfort of conventional metal brackets and wires at a cost that’s 60% less than traditional braces. SmileDirectClub also has a quick treatment time of four to six months.

BOTTOM LINE

SmileDirectClub is an oral care company that specializes in straightening teeth by using custom-made clear aligners worn daily or overnight.

PROS

• Less expensive than traditional braces
  • SmilePay affordable payment plan
  • Average treatment plan is 4-6 months

CONS

• Must meet eligibility requirements
  • Only for mild to moderate corrections
SmileDirectClub Get Started

Smile Direct Club products

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Start by taking SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website to see if you're a candidate for treatment.
  2. SmileDirectClub's team emails you to provide your options to get started, which include either ordering a doctor-prescribed impression kit or booking an appointment at a SmileShop.
  3. SmileDirectClub creates a 3D image of your smile by either performing a scan at your SmileShop appointment or processing the molds of your teeth taken with an impression kit. The company's technicians use proprietary software to create a draft treatment plan.
  4. A state-licensed doctor reviews your 3D image, photos of your teeth and your dental/medical history to determine candidacy for clear aligner therapy and review and approve your treatment plan. The doctor references photos of your teeth, the 3D image and your medical/dental history to prescribe clear aligner therapy.
  5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you your prescribed aligners and a courtesy teeth-whitening kit.
  6. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s teledentristry platform. Virtual check-ins occur regularly.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: original clear aligners or Nighttime clear aligners. The original clear aligners can straighten your smile in four to six months and should be worn 22 hours a day. They’re ideal for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime clear aligners provide a more flexible option and have a treatment time of eight to 10 months.

The company also has a program for teens that includes a trackable aligner case using Tile, a device that lets you find the case by using a mobile app. The aligner options are the same, but other products are geared more toward a teenager's busy lifestyle.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub treatment plans take an average of six months and cost $1,895. SmileDirectClub offers financing and payment plans, and customers can choose between two payment options:

• Single Pay, a one-time payment of $1,950
  • SmilePay, which requires a $250 down payment and 24 monthly payments of $89

You may qualify for reimbursement from your dental insurance provider if it covers orthodontics, but SmileDirectClub doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies.

The impressions kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $59. Although insurance providers do not cover the impressions kit, it is covered by SmileDirectClub’s Smile Guarantee. If SmileDirectClub determines the company's program won’t work for you, it refunds the price.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth and have minor issues like spacing, mild crowding or slight rotations. The company provides a great option for people looking to save on a typically expensive process.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

In the beginning, when I was closing my gap, the aligners kept breaking. I had to wait quite a while for replacements. Then, when the replacements came in, they were damaged. So, I had to go and get scanned over. That happened about three times within a year. So, it was rough. The fitting was okay towards the end though. I'm not completely happy with my results because I have an underbite. My teeth, to me, wasn't that bad but when they pulled them in, the bottom teeth weren't pulled in enough. So, my bottom teeth stick out further than the top, so it's kind of way off. I was supposed to contact them. But what happened was they had an evaluation and they sent me a letter saying that they couldn't fix it and they couldn't do anything else. I would have to go and get traditional braces. The reason for me doing SmileDirect is because I didn't want to pay about 7,000. I can't afford that.

Now, after spending almost two grand with SmileDirect, I'm being told to go and do something traditional, and that’s more money. It’s like, “Okay, well, I guess I just got to deal with the results I have.” I have a lot of family members that have gaps and they saw my teeth and they were like, “Okay, they closed your gap. When do you finish?” I said, “I'm done already.” They didn't like the final results. They're planning to do something different because it was a lot of family members. They were watching me. I showed them my finished results. It's still an open bite. They originally told me they could close my open bite. They couldn’t. It’s a slight open bite, a crossbite, and an underbite. They sent me a letter saying, “Oh, we can't fix your open bite, your crossbite, or whatever.” I would still recommend them. A person can look at my results, and take it from there.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Elvina, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your end results, and the delay when waiting for replacements. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

SmileDirectClub was a lot cheaper, so it was a great choice in that aspect. But other than that, I did a lot of research online, and I saw there were pretty good reviews around it. So, I thought I might as well give it a try. And worst case, if it didn't work out, I would look for an alternative after. But I'm fairly happy with it. When I went in person, it was really smooth. I sat there, and the two people who would work with me did everything. And then receiving the product, most of it was straightforward. I felt I could do everything on my own, and I was never really that confused.

But there were certain times when I felt there wasn't enough information online on certain things. Like maybe I had a certain pain in an area and I would try to google it. And it didn't seem like there were any resources saying that it was normal. Sometimes it's reassuring when I would google something and people would say, “Yeah, that's normal. Just don't worry about it.” Having those types of resources online would be important. Sometimes, there were open-ended questions that I had. Trying to have more resources, either in the box or on the website, is what I would recommend.

There was one case where I missed the day by accident. It just slipped my mind. Maybe there are resources online, but at that time, I couldn't seem to find what I would actually have to do in that type of situation, so I had to reach out. It was a bit worrisome because I thought it was a big deal. But it turned out that you just wear it for a bit longer. Just random stuff like that. It would be nice if there was some sort of site that just compiled all the questions that people asked.

The one thing that I was a bit concerned with, and I feel should be something down the road, having some sort of connection to an orthodontist just to get permanent retainers. I don't mind wearing the retainer that I have now. I know I have to wear it forever, but at some point, I know I'm going to slowly start forgetting to wear it for certain nights and whatnot. So, if there was a way to somehow have one connected orthodontist per city where I can go and get a permanent retainer in, or you can just have connections to orthodontists that already exist, would be really nice. Because to me, the money doesn't matter. I’ll spend whatever. I just know that at some point, I'm going to slowly start to forget to put it in. I have to wear this for the rest of my life, so it made me feel like there should be something there. Other than that, I feel really good with it. I'm happy with what I got for the money that I spent.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Nicholas. Your feedback and input are so valuable to us and we truly take it to heart. We really appreciate it!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Quick summary: Very pleased. Saved $4,200 compared to an in-person orthodontist. Everything went smooth from the start. Corrected "bucky teeth" perfectly along with some other small corrections.

Full review: It's scary to get braces online, I know, we were very skeptical and didn't decide to go with it until visiting one of their in person offices to get a laser scan. Very professional and well trained, top notch employees!

#1 - Clear aligners are not for everyone, and generally, the more messed up your teeth are, the less likely you can use aligners. Visit a dentist and pay for a professional opinion about getting clear aligners; most dentists sell them themselves. Don't mention online aligners, as you can imagine, they want to charge you $6,000 not $1,900 like SmileDirect...They have a Ferrari payment to make. After an examination, they can tell you whether or not aligners are right for the situation and you can ask questions. This is much better than spending time on molds and visits with smile direct...If your dentist doesn't think aligners are the way to go, Smile Direct probably won't either...Again, don't mention smile direct to your dentist; online braces are a huge threat to their cash cow and they may dishonestly discourage you from buying online.

#2 - Go to a smile direct store and get a laser scan. Even if it's a couple hours drive, do it. We did, the aligners fit perfectly from day one. They also have a bus that travels around, so see if/when it may be in your area.

#3 - You may to need to file the top edges of the aligners to stop them from rubbing too much. This is not a big deal; a hand finger nail file was all that was needed; a rotary tool is cheap at places like Harbor Freight and makes the job easy and fast.

#4 - You are moving your teeth; this is not a painless process! If a mosquito bite sends you to the emergency room, then you're probably better off sticking with crooked teeth. In our case, it was not "painful"; it was just an annoyance and the person had a high pain tolerance to begin with.

#5 - Brush your teeth and clean your aligners multiple times a day to prevent cavities and other problems. You are wrapping your teeth in plastic for months on end...You need to keep them clean!

7 months later, no more bucky teeth, super smile, no issues. It's now more than a year since treatment ended and all is well, teeth look great and the retainers at night are not an issue. Hope this helps and good luck with your teeth!

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Bill, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so happy to hear about this great experience. We love providing a cost-effective option for our customers. We truly appreciate the support. Best, Toni

Original review: May 23, 2020

I’m very happy with my results! I’m now on 5.5 months of my 6 month plan and notice a drastic difference. However my teeth were not horrible before - just minor crowding and my front two teeth were pushed outward. This really is a much cheaper alternative however keep in mind you get what you pay for. The biggest downfall is that you DON'T see an orthodontist the entire duration of treatment. As opposed to getting braces or Invisalign where you see one every time you change your trays. However you do have to send a picture halfway through your treatment to your assigned “virtual orthodontist” which I thought is pretty interesting. You get the entire 6 month treatment/set of aligners in one big box and it’s up to YOU to be disciplined and wear them 22 hours a day, and change them weekly as directed.

From the reviews, most people have poor ratings because the trays did not fit. There were MANY times when I started new trays where I thought it would not go in either. However I think it’s supposed to be like that. I mean, it is getting tighter every time you use a new tray, so it wouldn’t make sense for it to just slide in easily. You have to really push it through, and I find putting it on by one section first helps. Not sure if that makes sense, but for example putting it on from the left side first then making your way to the right side. Rather than just popping the whole thing in at once (which is almost impossible!). Get it through one side first then work your way around.

There were weeks where I would be diligent and wear my aligners 22 hours a day, and then when I changed trays it wasn’t difficult to get in because my teeth had shifted to fit into the next trays. Then some weeks I would forget and only wear it 10-18 hours a day and the next set felt really tight and really hard to get in. So you MUST remember to be diligent and wear them as instructed. It will also ache when it first goes in after really having to force it through. But my friends who had braces said they felt discomfort too. Your teeth are shifting after all. It just aches a bit as your teeth adjusts to the tightness. No pain though. And by day 2 I had no more discomfort...until you switch trays again! Luckily it’s only 6 months.

Also when I called into customer service to order an extra aligner remover, and then once again to order my retainer, they were very professional, very nice! Zero problems with customer service. The only issue is that it takes a long time for them to come in (4-5 weeks). So expect delays. Another complaint is that the aligners really pushed my gums back. Like I basically have a receding gum line now... it’s not bad... but I mean, they definitely look receded. I had to switch my toothbrush to an extremely soft bristle as to not further damage my gyms. I hope they will go back to normal once I am done with the aligners. The receding gums has not caused any issues so far.

My last and final suggestion that I REALLY wish I had known prior to ordering the entire aligner box, is to request TWO additional aligner remover stick. Don’t. Forget. This. Trust me, do yourself a favour and order two extras right when you order your box. As mentioned, the aligners are REALLY tight, so it’s almost impossible to remove them by hand.

You have to use the aligner remover stick. And so many times I would forget the stick at home, and starve at work or when going out because I couldn’t get the aligners off. Pretty sure I lost weight because of this (you can’t eat with aligners in). And because it took 5 weeks for the remover to come in, it was a huge pain having to remember to bring that remover everywhere I go! I remember before leaving the house, I would remind myself, “keys, phone, wallet... aligner stick” LOL. Then when they came in, I kept one at home, in my bag, and one at work. So much easier that way! All in all, I am very impressed with the results and you just need to remember this is a budget option. Don’t expect you’re going to get 5 star service. You get all the aligners and the rest is in your hands. Good luck!

Sang,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We truly value our customers feedback and appreciate you sharing your experience.

Best,

Megan

Original review: April 23, 2020

I've had my aligners for about three months now, and I have to say they are working, as I see results, but honestly, they're not for everyone. My experience was pretty good; I went to a Smile Direct Club in Morristown, NJ and had the scan of my current smile. Seriously easy and painless, their computer showed your current smile and your smile to be. They tell you how long you need to wear the aligners to achieve the end-date smile and some basic information.

Received my package in a few weeks (They don't bill your card until they're ready to ship) and it was then that I found out that to reach your goal, the aligners must be worn for 22 hours. Okay, I could have asked that question at the time of my visit, but I didn't. You also need to take them out every time you eat, or drink anything other than cool water. After eating you must floss and brush. Honestly, not a bad personal hygiene policy, but super inconvenient. Obviously if you're a cook/chef and need to taste food as you cook, this is not a great option. Likewise on the weekends if you go out to dinner and maybe want to hang out with friends for drinks afterwards, this is simply not part of the "plan". I found that making dinner at home was difficult, because you may want to taste things as you go along, and really can't if you stick to the "plan". Realistically, wearing them for 22 hours a day is not feasible for most people.

Secondly, when you first pop a new pair in, they hurt. You expect that there will be some degree of mild pain simply by design. They are created to stretch or push your teeth into a more aligned position, and you know you'll feel pressure, but what you're not expecting is the sharpness of the plastic sticking out from your gums. They provide an emory board to try and help with this, but I went out and bought a $35 Dremel from Lowe's to file down all the spots that irritate your tongue. My first set had my tongue raw and swollen, and rubbing an emory board or nail file on them does little to bring the situation under control. If you sprung for the aligners, you can spring for a cheap Dremel (which will make life so much easier...trust me).

Lastly, these things are tough to clean! They provide some cleaning tablets, which you can order more of through the website or by the daily emails coming your way from Smile Direct. I sprung for another $35.00 accessory from Amazon...an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Nice and simple; I just add a capful of mouthwash and two more of cool water and press start. You'd be surprise how much fine "stuff" comes floating off the aligners, stuff I don't want going back into my mouth! This method is especially good for the two-week aligners. The material on these weeks is much thicker than than the one week sets, and you can only imagine what you can't brush off after the tenth through fourteenth day of use (yikes).

All in all I think they're working, but do not be fooled by the ads showing how nice and easy they are. There's a level of commitment you'll need to apply for good results. Smile Direct does have a warranty, but you must abide by the 22 hour a day rule, or the warranty is void. Oh, did I forget to mention that when you're done with the course or aligners, for the rest of your life you'll need to wear a retainer overnight? All that for $99.00 every six months. The website claims that if you do not do this, your teeth will move back into the original configuration, the one you paid to change in the first place. If you've decided to move forward, good for you, it really has been working for me and I'm at the 1/2 way point. I think you'll be happy with the results, just take my advice and spring for the Dremel at the very least, you won't regret it.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi, Ken. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're so sorry for the delay. We just recently gained access to these reviews and are still here to help if you need anything. Feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com if we can help.

Best,

Megan

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I received notification that my aligners were received on 2/1/21 and that I would get my custom plan in about 3 days. It's now been 8 and I have yet to see any emails about it. Just curious where things are at. The impression kit was easy to follow and return. I'm interested to see how accurate my aligners will be going this route compared to the scan that I did the first time around.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I was so pleased with the experience at the Smile Club, and with Smile Direct general. It has been an easy to understand and satisfying experience thus far. I can’t wait to start my journey with Smile Direct Club.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there Casey! It is always a pleasure to assist you. Thank you so much for all the love and support

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I have asked about my insurance and provided the info. I was told they would check on it and get back in a few Days. Several days later I called to check and was told they would get back with me that sometimes it takes a few Days. Well my plan and aligners are now ready to purchase and still no word back about my insurance. I’ll go through a company that will at least try my insurance rather than one that won’t even check and get back with me.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Nacoma, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We are sorry to hear about the delay in communication. We always want to promptly address any questions. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Everything has been wrong since day 1. And now the 3D doesn’t even look as how my teeth are now and after the 4 months plan my biggest concern (fix my middle line) doesn’t even gets resolve. “Dentists” working at Smile Direct are a joke.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Tania, thank you for leaving this review. We want to make sure we address any concerns and questions that customers have about treatment. Our goal is to help our customers achieve their ideal results and we are available to help with that. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

There are many discount codes to purchase Aligners for a cheaper price. During this terrible financial times I wanted to use a code to be able to help bring the price down. All companies are suffering during this time. I chatted with someone and no codes could be applied. Unfortunately you lost a customer and some business for not getting at least some payment to help the business.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Bree, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. It is important to us to always provide a top-quality service for our customers. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Kindest Regards, Toni

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

It was just fun getting the box!! The packaging and instructions were amazing! I have had an amazing experience. I had some questions and contacting customer service was fast and super helpful. I had braces when I was younger and I would recommend Smile Direct over braces for anyone. The accessories are just as fun and amazing as the aligners!

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Kareena, we are loving your enthusiasm. Thank you again for taking the time to share a review! We truly appreciate the support.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

A friend sent me an invitation with SmileDirectClub and I had a $100 coupon. I saw her result so I decided to go. My new smile is great and quality-wise, it's nice too. It looks really well. I still have those little holes in between my teeth that I can't get rid of because my mouth is that way. But I like it, in general. I would recommend SmileDirectClub. It's a great solution for an affordable price to fix your teeth.

SmileDirectClub response

Thank you so much for sharing, Adriana! This means the world to us.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

The experience itself was great, but the lie they told me wasn't. The woman made it seem like it was going to be simple as 1,2,3, which was a lie. Took all my bank info just to get denied! I told her I had one really crooked tooth before and after the scan. She said they would be able to fix it. I got a call today saying I cannot be helped, but they can do my top teeth, which I have no crooked teeth. Waste of time! FALSE HOPE.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi MaryAlice. I'm so sorry that it's been such a rough road. That shouldn't have happened. Please send us an email to reviews@smiledirectclub.com so we can better assist you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I was unsure about trying at first since I was worried I wouldn’t be able to use the kit, but I was so wrong. It was so easy to complete and send back. Super excited to get the smile I always wanted for half the price I was told by my dentist!

SmileDirectClub response

Happy to hear it! We love providing a cost-effective option for our customers. Thanks, Ashley.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Hi, I was really discouraged first of all by some reports I read online and especially one from NBC news Feb 18, 2020, it reported a horror story and other problems that other people have had. That really scared me away and then to add on top of that I received the 3D results email and it showed changes to my upper teeth but absolutely no change to my bottoms. For this kind of money I will use it towards an area dentist and have someone that can give me better results and care than Smile Direct Club. It’s a great idea, but the reality of it is much different.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Michael, thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We want to make sure we address any concerns and questions that customers have about treatment. All of our treatment plans have the same costs involved, regardless of treatment length or complexity. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I am very dissapointed with your service. All the emails I received from you all said someone would contact me to discuss the best option for my child. I never received a phone call. You all just took the money out of my account without permission. I even submitted information for insurance, and you all said insurance would cover some of the cost, but you all took the whole amount out. I am not happy, and will not recommend you all to anyone.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Christy, thank you for leaving this valuable feedback. We are very concerned to hear that our process was not explained thoroughly. Our goal is to make sure all of our customers walk away informed, and knowing that they have the option to choose to pay at their appointment or later. The 3D images are valid for 90 days which allows time to think things over. We will be reaching out via private message for further assistance. Best, Toni

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

The kit was easy to use but I don’t think I will be buying the Aligners because of the price. I only need them for four months and don’t think it’s a fair price to pay for something for 24 months when you only need it for four. People who need it for less time should pay less money.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. All of our treatment plans have the same costs involved, regardless of treatment length or complexity. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

During my consultation I was told that all my problem areas could be fixed. I waited 2 weeks for a smile plan that is estimated to take 72 hours. Once my smile plan was complete I noticed the gap on my bottom right side did not as small as I would like. I chatted with a representative who told me the problem would be corrected. I waited another week for an updated smile plan. I reviewed the new smile plan and saw barely any changes to my bottom right side gap. I chatted with a representative again, only to be told that what I want to accomplish is not possible for SmileDirectClub. I wasted 3 and a half weeks, almost a month waiting to see a smile plan that is completely useless. I could have went a different route and have started a different treatment by now if I knew sooner that my desired smile could not be obtained using SmileDirectClub.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Asia, thank you for leaving this review and feedback. We want to make sure we address any concerns and questions that customers have about treatment. Our goal is to help our customers achieve the results they desire and we will do everything within our protocol to help them do so. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I had a great experience, everyone was nice and friendly. They took pictures and did a 3D scan of my teeth and explain everything to me. She walked me through everything that comes in the box step by step. I would highly recommend a SmileDirectClub to my friends and family.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Darrenisha, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at SmileDirectClub. We're so happy to read this!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

SmileDirectClub was cheaper than getting braces. For the first two weeks, I wore them for 22 hours and then after the first two weeks of retainers, I wore them at night. I had to redo a little bit of the molding towards the end. It was one little thing that needed to be fixed, but they did it quickly. When I had to go out to the office in Jacksonville, they were extremely helpful. They helped me with everything I needed to get done. Everything went great. I was very happy with the whole process. I'm satisfied with the results. I'm done with the whole program now. I’m just with the retainers.

SmileDirectClub response

We appreciate your positive words! We're honored

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Whenever I started looking at the SmileDirect, I felt that it was more affordable. I had braces before when I was in high school. I quit wearing my retainers late in my 20s. And my front tooth had jutted back out, and it’s resting on my bottom lip. Whenever I wake up, I have this indentation in my lip that was sore, especially in the winter when it's dry or you get a cold and you're sick. As the day would go on, it would get better. But I didn't like to smile for my pictures anymore. I wanted my lip to quit hurting. I'm done. I just wear my retainers at night. I love my new smile.

Doing the contact on the computer is super easy. One time, I asked about the roughness of the retainers that SmileDirectClub sent. I asked them for different suggestions. It seemed like I had the same two places that every time I put the retainer in, those were the sores that would pop up in my mouth. I filed a lot and used a lot of wax. They gave me all the recommendations again, even though I was doing them, but it was helpful just to remind people if they're not following what they need to do. They were efficient.

I was worried when I got my retainer that I wear every night, that I would have the same issue. But I can tell the different quality of the actual retainer that we wear at night. And I do not get those sores. So, I would recommend. If there was some way for the retainers every week that they could file a little more. There was a lot of work. But I can smile big now. I tell people, “Be prepared that your mouth will probably be sore for about three to four months.” Because no sooner would I get my sores healed up, and then I would put another retainer in and it would start again. But knowing that it was short-lived, I could do it.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there Emily! We appreciate your positive words! We're honored.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

SDC did a great job on my teeth and at a very competitive price, unfortunately Customer Support is the worst I had ever had to deal with. Unbelievable incapable of handling any issue. Beg that everything goes well and you don’t need any help.

SmileDirectClub response

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience with our customer service, this is certainly not the experience we want you to have. Please contact us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com for further assistance.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I had braces as a child but I am much older now and my teeth were starting to shift. So I knew that these aligners would probably do an excellent job, in which they did. I liked everything about the process. I liked that I was able to call. If I had questions, somebody answers. The aligners were comfortable. I could feel my teeth moving. I didn't need a whole lot of movement, but they really made a significant difference, and they look great. I love them. My boyfriend tried it on his teeth and SmileDirect told him that they weren't able to handle his case. So I like that because that was honest, rather than set expectations high and not be able to deliver.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there Norma! It is always a pleasure to assist you. Thank you so much for all the love and support

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

It's less expensive than braces but it requires a lot of self-discipline. I'm still waiting to hear back from them again because I haven't gotten my retainer. They were evaluating to see if I needed to go use the aligners again.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Tammy. I'm so sorry that it's been such a rough road. That shouldn't have happened. Please send us an email to reviews@smiledirectclub.com so we can better assist you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I have to start over again because the spaces are not fully closed. I still have the gap in the middle. It's only been about a week, but I'm feeling pretty confident that this would hopefully take care of this issue since I actually went into the office instead of sending them my molds. Everything's been going well, so far. I'm glad I tried SmileDirect.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there Sharee! It is always a pleasure to assist you. If you need any additional support, remember that we are here to assist, just send us an email to: reviews@smiledirectclub.com

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Please don't believe the misleading reviews after the first visit. I also had a good experience in the shop: friendly staff and the aligners were sent as promised. But the system and customer service is absolutely terrible. I've had 2 touch-ups already (which means: the progress was not as expected and they made new aligners, which don't help either). Every time when send emails, I get answers from different people, who have no clue what I'm talking about and just ignore the problem. It seems that most of the employees of customer service are overseas workers, which are trained to ignore your concerns and just give standard trained answers. I know several other people in the same situation as me (minimal results, months over the expected due date and no, or even worse, apathetic communication), so I would like to warn others! Think twice!!

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Kenny, thank you for leaving us a review and this valuable feedback. Our goal is to make sure our customers achieve their ideal results. If customers have any questions or concerns about treatment, we are available to help with that. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

The process was good. Whenever there were any hiccups, the customer service was there to help me out. I feel good with my new smile.

SmileDirectClub response

Gendi, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at SmileDirectClub!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

The summary/title of my comments may seem harsh or unrealistic as a review for a teledentistry company. However, I can assure you, prior to or since, I have never experienced anything like what I’m about to describe to you. I began my treatment in March, 2017. Signed up online and paid up front to save a few dollars. Received my first impression kit, read through the instructions, applied my impressions and shipped them off. Positive, successful experience. But then nothing, and I mean nothing went right for the next nearly 4 years (I was told this would be an 8 month treatment). I won’t go into detail for every interaction. However, I will share some of the highlights - these are just a few.

1. Initially, I was sent a 2-week supply of aligners. This worked for a couple months, then they stopped coming. I emailed and called in an effort to find out what was going on. After several attempts, I was told “we are having manufacturing delays”. I can understand how this happens, I’m an easy going person. But the company made no effort to notify me of the delay, and response to my inquiries seemed to go ignored for weeks. It wasn’t until I posted a review online that someone from SDC took notice and responded to me.

2. After wearing the aligners for several months, I began to experience an improper fit. I contacted SDC to ask for direction and was told to take photos. No problem, I have done this many times throughout the process so I didn’t expect to have a problem with this situation. I took the photos, emailed them to customer service... then nothing... for weeks. I emailed them to find out why the delay and was told they never received them. I told them when they were emailed and that they do in fact have them.

Several days went by and no reply. Eventually, after a few more emails, someone responded and said they found them and confirmed that they were never forwarded to the appropriate medical advisor. A few days later, I received an email that new aligners would be manufactured and sent, but that would take the normal 3-4 weeks. Keep in mind, since I sent the photos roughly 4 weeks had already passed and I would have to wait another 3-4 weeks.

3. Although I have dozens of emails in my inbox (and sent items) to show negligence from the SDC customer support team, the communication problem highlighted above happened at least 4 times. This was recognized by someone at SDC about a year into my treatment. I was offered a free set of retainers as well as $200 refund. I was grateful and hoped the remainder of my treatment would improve.

4. Near the end of my treatment in the Spring of 2020 (yes, 3 years into the 8 month program), I reached out to SDC and asked for all the free retainers I was promised throughout my treatment period to be sent to me. I did this for one reason, I didn’t want to have to talk to them anymore. I knew my requests would be lost, ignored, or told I did not have any free retainers coming to me. And this is exactly what happened. I received an email indicating I did not have any free retainers coming to me. Of course I responded with outrage, but emotionally in control.

The countless problems that resulted in at least 6 offers for free retainers (this isn’t a count of all the problems, this was simply the number of times I was offered a free set) were not being recorded to my account by SDC customer service. When I explained this, I was told that I needed to provide proof. You may be able to image how this lit the fuse. However, I took a few deep breaths, gathered all the information I had and sent it back to SDC. In the end, they only honored 4 because some of the offers for free retainers were given to me over the phone. So their mistakes, compiled by more mistakes resulted in my loss.

5. Once SDC agreed 4 would be shipped to me, I spoke to customer support to have them shipped. The representative convinced me that ordering one at a time would be better to reduce the risk of lost or broken retainers. So I agreed to have only one shipped. It arrived, no problem. However, after using the retainers for a couple days, it cracked. I contacted SDC to have a warranty replacement sent. They did so, then told me I only have 1 more set of free retainers. At this point, I knew I made a mistake. After several emails and phone calls, they realized their error and told me I still had 3 more coming to me. So I asked them to ship both. They sent me 1 and indicated that only 1 was noted on my account. Over the next 5 months I corresponded with SDC to try to find out why and to get it corrected. Representatives responses to me ranged from, “yes, I see you have one more coming to you, we will ship it now” to, “we have no record of a free set of retainers for you”. I had to prove it once again by attaching emails and sending explanations. Finally, someone on their end placed the order. I received an automated email indicating I needed to update my payment method - no problem. Updated and I sent an email asking for confirmation that they are shipped. Two weeks and a few emails from me went by before I received a reply... “please respond with the last 4 digits of you credit card so we can process your order”. Emailed my response. Another week and another email from me went by before someone contacted me to ask me to confirm my shipping address. Several days later, I received a confirmation that they were shipped. Expecting them to arrive early March, 2021.

Their failures have not been intermittent. Over the years, they have proven incapable of communicating effectively and documenting customer concerns and obligations. Put simply, Smile Direct Club customer service is atrocious and not worth the discounted prices they offer. Make no mistake, the people I speak to and communicate with via email are nice folks; they seem to want to do the right thing. But they are not using a quality customer relationship management system or they are not properly trained. How that organization can operate and be successful is a complete mystery. Based on these absolutely outrageous experiences, I will never recommend Smile Direct Club to anyone. It seems as though they got my money and customer service after the sale was no longer important.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello John, thanks for taking the time to share your experience, this is really important for us so we can focus on those areas and hopefully avoid them in the near future, I'm terribly sorry for all you've been through, please accept my sincerest apologies. I sent you another message with more details information about the resolutions of your case as we still want to assist you as much as we can, thanks in advance for your patience.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I've had gone to several free consultations for braces and none of them were in my budget or they would take too long, and they wanted me to get certain teeth removed. It was more cost-effective to just get SmileDirectClub. My front four teeth were super crooked like they were just pointing in all directions. I wanted to get those front fixed, even if the back weren’t perfect. I felt like the process with SmileDirectClub was super easy and quick. The results are amazing. I was so surprised to see them within the first two aligners I wore.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Leslie, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at SmileDirectClub. We're so happy to read this!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I had gaps in my front top teeth. I wanted to close them up. I had braces when I was 21. Now that I'm older, they started moving again because I had broken tooth. I just wanted to straighten them back out. I had my SmileDirect kit mailed to me. Everything worked out really good. SmileDirect was awesome. I would totally recommend them to anybody. It's definitely worth it.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there Caroline! It is always a pleasure to assist you. Thank you so much for all the love and support

SmileDirectClub Company Information