3.7/5 (1184 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Vincent Landino

About SmileDirectClub

SmileDirectClub’s invisible braces give you a way to improve your smile that’s more affordable than traditional braces. A licensed dentist or orthodontist crafts each treatment plan, but you can complete your clear aligner treatment without ever going into a doctor’s office. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay: upfront ($2,050) or in installments of $89 each over 26 months with a $250 deposit.

Pros

• Discreet, clear aligners
  • Less expensive than metal braces
  • Offers a payment plan with no credit check
  • Treatment only takes four to six months

Cons

• Retainers not included
  • Not suitable for severe corrections

Bottom Line

SmileDirectClub specializes in custom clear aligners users can wear during the day or overnight. Its treatments are more accessible than traditional braces but not suitable for everyone.

Top SmileDirectClub Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had already been to my dentist and had asked about their options but it was really expensive. ... When I've seen the commercials for SmileDirectClub, they were talking about it ...

Verified

The impression kits came with very clear and easy to use instructions. Simple kit to use and return, with a clear process online of what was happening. I used a promotion to get t...

SmileDirectClub products

What is SmileDirectClub?

SmileDirectClub is a dental care company that provides invisible braces for those who need mild to moderate teeth correction.

You can find out if you’re eligible by requesting an impression kit and sending it back to the company for an assessment. Alternatively, you can visit a SmileShop location for a free 3D scan. Each case is reviewed by a state-licensed orthodontist or dentist who creates a personalized treatment plan.

SmileDirectClub treatment lasts four to six months on average. The company ships all aligners (along with a whitening system) to your door about two to three weeks after you send back your impression kit.

You can choose between regular SmileDirectClub aligners, which require 22 hours per day of wear, or Nighttime Aligners, which you wear for 10 hours every night. In addition to regular check-ups, you have access to the dental team 24/7 by chat, live video, phone or email.

How does SmileDirectClub work?

You can get started with SmileDirectClub in a few simple steps:

1. Take SmileDirectClub’s 30-second assessment on its website to see if you're a candidate for treatment.
  2. SmileDirectClub's team will email you with options to get started; you can order an at-home impression kit or book an appointment at a SmileShop.
  3. SmileDirectClub creates a 3D image of your smile by either performing a scan at your SmileShop or processing the molds from your impression kit. The company's technicians use proprietary software to create a draft treatment plan.
  4. A state-licensed doctor reviews your 3D image, photos of your teeth and your dental/medical history to determine candidacy for clear aligner therapy. They then review and approve your treatment plan.
  5. Once you agree to the treatment plan, SmileDirectClub mails you your prescribed aligners and free tooth-whitening kit. It molds each aligner to match the contours of your teeth and gums for a comfortable fit.
  6. You wear your aligners for a certain amount of time each day, taking them out for eating and drinking.
  7. Throughout the treatment, your licensed dentist or orthodontist monitors your progress through SmileDirectClub’s teledentistry platform. Virtual check-ins occur regularly.
  8. After your treatment is over, you’ll wear a retainer to maintain your new smile.

SmileDirectClub has two treatment options: its original aligners and its Nighttime Aligners. The original aligners can straighten your smile in four to six months if you wear them 22 hours a day. They’re better for customers who want an expedited straightening treatment. The Nighttime Aligners are only for overnight wear and have a longer average treatment time — about 10 months.

How much does SmileDirectClub cost?

SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay for aligners:

• Upfront: A one-time payment of $2,050
  • SmilePay: A $250 down payment and 26 monthly payments of $89

SmilePay lets you stretch out the expense of your aligner treatment to about $3 per day across the entire repayment term, but you’ll pay more in the long run ($2,564 total).

The impression kit, which is used to create your 3D scan and aligners, costs $59 at the time of publishing. However, the company frequently offers discounts and rebates on this kit. Also, SmileDirectClub refunds the cost if it determines the program won’t work for you, so there’s little risk in trying it out.

SmileDirectClub works with most major insurers, including UnitedHealthcare and Aetna. You can also pay using CareCredit or HSA (health savings account) or FSA (flexible spending account) funds to purchase from SmileDirectClub.

How does SmileDirectClub compare?

Lots of companies offer invisible braces these days, and their products and services can be difficult to tell apart at a quick glance. To help, we’ve compared SmileDirectClub with several of its competitors. Our takeaways:

SmileDirectClub also made it into our list of the cheapest teeth aligners.

SmileDirectClub FAQ

Does SmileDirectClub work?
SmileDirectClub can help with minor to moderate teeth correction, including crowding, space between teeth and some bite issues. In order to find out if you’re a candidate for SmileDirectClub treatment, visit a SmileShop for a 3D scan or order an impression kit.
Does SmileDirectClub take insurance?
SmileDirectClub works with many insurers, including UnitedHealthcare, Aetna and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. You can check your eligibility for insurance coverage on SmileDirectClub’s website.
Who owns SmileDirectClub?
SmileDirectClub is a public company, so it’s owned by its shareholders. It was founded in 2014 by Alex Fenkell and Jordan Katzman.
Is SmileDirectClub safe?
Every SmileDirectClub treatment is prescribed, directed and managed by state-licensed doctors who have at least five years of experience with aligner therapy. Customers get regular virtual appointments with dental professionals and have 24/7 access to SmileDirectClub’s dental care team.
Is SmileDirectClub trustworthy?
SmileDirectClub has generally positive consumer reviews on our site at the time of publishing. However, like with any health care topic, it’s smart to do your own research and consult with your doctor to make the right decision for you.

Is SmileDirectClub worth it?

SmileDirectClub is worth it if you want straighter teeth without the cost of traditional braces and you have only minor to moderate tooth issues. There’s little risk to learning if you’re a candidate for treatment with SmileDirectClub, and the company includes a “Lifetime Smile Guarantee.”

Though some have reported poor results, SmileDirectClub seems to be good about resolving these issues, and the company works with state-licensed doctors to design and monitor each treatment plan.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

One tooth was coming in front of one of my teeth and the other one was going behind on either side of my mouth. I hated to smile because when I smiled, that one tooth was going back. In pictures, it would be dark. I felt like a hillbilly and I didn't like that. Everything went well working with SmileDirect. The only problem that I had was when I finished. I had ordered my retainer and I did not wear it 22 hours a day for three weeks. So my teeth moved. I had to go back in and the reps did a thing. My teeth were going back a little bit. It wasn't terrible, but enough to where I didn't want it to go back any further. So, I'm doing that right now. Everything has been wonderful and everybody's been so nice. I like SmileDirect and I have told other people about it.

SmileDirect wouldn't do my bottom teeth though. They told me they couldn't fix it. I had braces years ago and my dog chewed up my retainer. Back then, when I was a kid, they didn't have retainer cases. So you'd put it on your nightstand and your dog would come and eat it. It happened twice and my mother wouldn't get me another one. So my teeth all shifted back. I’m a real proponent of wanting to wear the nighttime thing. But right now, I'm having to wear it 22 hours a day, which is fine. It's not a big deal. I'm very impressed with SmileDirect. I bartend now and I was behind the bar and friends came in. One friend knew I had gotten the Smile and the other friend did not and she said I had such a beautiful smile. I started crying. Nobody's ever said that to me. That’s how happy I am.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there, Karen, thank you so much for your high rating! Please be sure that we're always here to help in any way we can. If further assistance is needed, just give us a call or contact us through DM on any of our platforms, and we will be happy to assist.

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I lost 40 pounds in the process with SmileDirect. You're supposed to wear the aligners 22 hours out of the day, so I got an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. That's not much and what you need to do is eat something decent and it worked out great. You just get into a pattern. For example, one day, I went three hours. The next, I would try to make up for it so I could make the 22 hours. Sometimes I’m at a family dinner so I leave the aligners down until I eat. I go to the restroom, pop them out and have dinner with family, and when I’m done, I go back, brush my teeth and put the aligners back in.

You have to stay on top and keep the aligners clean. I got one of SmileDirect’s little ultrasonic cleaners and I do that and use the toothbrush so that was able to make it work good. You just have to have an attitude that you want to do this and once you overcome that, you get into a routine. I've been on the retainer for some weeks and that's new, because I only put it on to go to sleep.

My teeth were a little messed up but it straightened out. My bottom ones are nice and with the front ones, I had a tooth on each side that were small and SmileDirect moved it as much as they could so it worked out fine. I probably could have gone for another series. They could probably move and more but I'm happy with the results I got. I’d recommend SmileDirect to a friend but I’d tell them what goes on because I knew a little about it when I got the aligners. But they worked with me well. I had a bridge break when I was starting this and they worked with me till I got a new one. It was only a few weeks and I broke them so they had to resend me some new ones. That took care of it. I had it replaced but with a newer technology, so they adjusted the aligner so everything worked and you get the trick putting them in the correct way.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there, thank you so much for your high rating! Please be sure that we're always here to help in any way we can. If further assistance is needed just give us a call or contact us through DM in any of our platforms and we will be happy to assist.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Once I found the phone number ('cause everybody wants to use an app for every single thing) and I was to get ahold of somebody from SmileDirectClub, it was great customer service. However, they could provide an educational process of what's going to happen. I can get a booklet and flip through it, but I'm not gonna intensively take it. To watch some video recording about something, I may or may not do that as well. They could say, "Hey, this is what you're gonna get and what's gonna happen. And these are some of the things you might run into. These are the things to be aware of. This is how you know if you need help or if you're succeeding at what we want you to have." It would help to have some milestones or some ways to track one's progress without just, "Hey, my tray isn't fitting right." "Come in and we'll scan again," then a month later, it's not working and one keeps doing it.

The program was supposed to be six months, then it kept tweaking over the process. I had to get a couple of different aligners because they would warp. The process extended for longer than what I thought. I've been using the product for close to two years, and I love the progress that SmileDirectClub made in that time period. I also feel pretty good about my smile right now. There are moments where I wish I could get a bit more tweaking on it, but for what I paid for, I'm satisfied at this moment. I might go back in, but right now, I'm just using the retainer like I need to.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Steven. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. We're concerned to see that it wasn't a 5-star experience. If you have any feedback about your experience or need any help, please send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com. Best, Jeff.

Original review: May 25, 2022

SmileDirectClub was the least expensive. I didn't trust myself to do the impression at home, so I went in. They did the 3D thing in their office. And they mailed me the stuff. I've had a couple of retouches, which every time, they would reject and make me pay more, because I get to the end of it and there's this one tooth that had this problem. So, I would send in pictures, and they would redo my plan and make it longer. This is the third time. I'm done now. I got the results I wanted. Each time, I thought there was no way they would approve it, but they did. They kept it up until I got to where I wanted to be without giving me more charges. They said, “As long as you're following your plan and doing your doctor update, that you can redo stuff until you're happy.” They stood by that. So, I've been very happy with it.

My only concern not going to the dentist is maybe there's not enough space. And that's why my teeth are overcrowded. So, the results are great. If I skip a day of wearing the night thing, that tooth will move. And that concerns me. But that has to do with the fact that I didn't get a tooth pulled with a dentist. If I don't stay on this and I don't wear something for a month, I bet that I would have to redo this. I felt I would have to always wear the night one. If I wanna keep them like this, I have to wear the night thing. But it works.

Also, the whitening stuff that SmileDirect has works big time. If you go in and they use the ultraviolet lights on your teeth with a dentist, they send that. You put that on your teeth for 10 minutes. If you do that twice a week, after two weeks, it makes a noticeable difference. I told my dad he doesn't to be a customer to order that. He can just go on SmileDirect and find their whitening thing and buy it. And it doesn’t hurt my teeth. So, if you’re looking for something, it’s affordable and it works. I would recommend SmileDirect to anybody.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Kandi, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at SmileDirectClub!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

SmileDirectClub's customer service is excellent. Unfortunately, I had a problem. The first aligners fit great up until week four, then I couldn't get the bottoms in. SmileDirectClub sent me new ones in a week, which was great. The second time it happened, I couldn't get the tops or the bottoms in after a couple of weeks, and it took three weeks to get new ones. SmileDirect told me just to wear the ones that I had in. They were so loose, they were falling out. But it took a long time to get those. So, I'm still wearing them. The bottom teeth are much better. The top ones still have a gap. I had a sore in my mouth. I called and SmileDirect told me not to wear them for a week. So, that put me back a week.

I thought it would be so easy, but it wasn't, as far every time I eat, I got to take them out. When I first put them in, the first couple of times I tried to take them out, it was hard. That was great because that means they're working. But that's a pain. If I'm going out with friends for the day, I have to graze all day so I don't put them in. Or I bring them with me, but sometimes I'm in the car putting them on, coming home. Because I got to find someplace to brush my teeth and I don't like brushing my teeth in a public bathroom. So, I wish SmileDirect would come up with some kind of a rinse that I could rinse my mouth out and put them back in. Other than that, their program where they can look in people's mouths from their office is cool. It's very helpful and it makes me feel like they are trying to get me done.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

In short, SmileDirectClub is a scam. I have been on an excruciating 2 year journey with this company that left me dissatisfied and with what I now believe is likely permanent jaw pain. My treatment was initially to take 4 months, and 5 touch ups later, they addressed everything except the actual problem, shifting my teeth in ways I didn't want and leaving the 1 thing I asked to be fixed barely touched during most of the treatments. I wrote off the jaw pain in hope it just was a side effect of my teeth shifting but after reading articles about the people they have harmed and the lawsuits they've been involved with, I'm not so sure.

And now they have left me with a parting email telling me that they won't do anything else, despite their "guarantee" but that I should still spend more money getting their retainers to maintain the teeth they didn't really fix. I encourage anyone who is still considering walking into this trap to read the various articles detailing all the damage this company has caused.

SmileDirectClub response

Our Club Members' satisfaction is very important to us, Iris, and we are always here to help in any way we can. We are quite concerned to hear about this situation, and we would like to have a better look into this. In order for us to further assist, we will be reaching out by private message through this platform.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

They are just trying to get as much cash as possible as they're going down. Avoid this company. I lost my last retainer back in Jul 2022, and I went on the site to place an order, and it says the retainer will be shipped within 4-5 wks. The 5wk mark had gone and I came in to check my order status. It's automatic chat bot and automatic voice customer service kept saying they were working around the clock blah blah to ship my retainers. A couple of wks gone by and I finally got a hold of a human customer service, she told me my order's status was "pending" and she didn't know why. She apologized and placed another order for me and told me she would make a note to expedite it and it should be shipped in 2-3 wks. I thought this time was better, and waited patiently. When I came back to check, the system said my retainers was being bagged and would be shipped soon, but after three wks, the message was still the same!

I got a hold of another human representative, an tele rep from India, and he told me my retainer mold was expired and I got to do the scan again. HOW! A 3D scan is not an apple, how could it be expired!!! So I had been waiting for 4 months for nothing! No message, no email, no nothing, and my teeth were moving back to their original places! Still, I made a schedule to do a 3D scan, and when I got back home. More automatic messages came to my email and they all required me to pay $99/month for treatment! No matter how I replied to the email, I kept receiving automatic answers! Expect automatic answers! They are going down and they don't care about customer satisfaction anymore! After many costly lawsuits, they are trying to cut costs and collect as much cash as possible before they disappear!

SmileDirectClub response

Our Club Members' satisfaction is very important to us, Vu, and we are always here to help in any way we can. We are quite concerned to hear about this situation, and we would like to have a better look into this. In order for us to further assist, we will be reaching out by private message through this platform.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

I had a huge gap between my front teeth since I was a child. I was always bothered by it and every time I went to the orthodontist traditional ways, it was always so complicated and thinking about years of treatments. So, I pushed away that idea. I spoke with a friend who pay SmileDirect for his daughter and he convinced me that it was easy, simple and not that expensive. I finished my first treatment and then requested an adjustment. So, I'm currently wearing my adjustment aligner and I'll have same aligner till Christmas. I have five weeks to go. My front teeth are almost done.

I have some trouble getting the adjustment. It's a long and complicated process to speak to someone and I'm quite worried for the future. If I've got some kind of correction of one of my teeth because of cavities, it's complicated to go through the whole process to get a new retainer at night. I have to wait for weeks to just get an answer to get an appointment for an adjustment for a retainer. My teeth will move and that process is complicated.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there, Karyne, thank you so much for your high rating! Please be sure that we're always here to help in any way we can. If further assistance is needed, just give us a call or contact us through DM on any of our platforms, and we will be happy to assist.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

The process went very well. But my whole first batch of aligners was very sharp around the edges and I had to do a lot of cutting and trimming. Also, when I'd have to call customer service, it was a very long wait. But that improved. The results are good so far and my teeth are straight. I highly recommend SmileDirectClub.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi there, Deanne, thank you so much for your high rating! Please be sure that we're always here to help in any way we can. If further assistance is needed, just give us a call or contact us through DM on any of our platforms, and we will be happy to assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

The customer service is absolutely terrible! I've been going back and forth for almost two months trying to get an aligner touch up. The aligner's left one side of my top teeth completely untouched so only half of my teeth are straight. I just keep getting give us 1-3 business days for a response and a whole 2 weeks will pass with nothing. I have to keep emailing them every week and a half just to get the same thing back. I understand that they may be busy but it shouldn't take two months and they completely stop responding.

SmileDirectClub response

Our Club Members' satisfaction is very important to us, Kally, and we are always here to help in any way we can. We are quite concerned to hear about this situation, and we would like to have a better look into this. In order for us to further assist, we will be reaching out by private message through this platform.

SmileDirectClub Company Information