Get Started

3.7/5 (1764 ratings)

About SmileDirectClub

SmileDirectClub provides customers with an affordable way to improve their smile with its invisible braces. Each treatment plan is crafted by a licensed dentist or orthodontist, and customers receive regular virtual visits during treatment. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to pay: upfront or monthly over 24 months. Its program is less expensive than traditional braces.

Pros

• Less expensive than metal braces
  • Payment plan with no credit check
  • Treatment takes four to six months

Cons

• Retainers not included
  • Not for severe corrections

Bottom Line

SmileDirectClub is an invisible braces company that specializes in custom-made clear aligners worn during the day or overnight. It makes treatment accessible with lower costs than competitors.

SmileDirectClub Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmileDirectClub?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Doing the impression kit while probably would have been a better idea; those employees could have been trained to sell you anything; smile liners, Tupperware, knives that cut pennies, etc... Felt uneasy after leaving there; certainly the 30 follow-up emails from the marketing department of Smile Direct Club (and not one responding to my questions to the orthodontist) has continuously verified that this place is truly about profit not patients.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Victoria, this is Toni, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. It is important to us to always provide a genuine service for our customers. We are sorry to hear about your experience thus far. We want to make sure we address any concerns and questions that customers have before treatment. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Kindest Regards, Toni

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I already had aligners and paid in full, I wrote in about switching to the night time only plan. I was told I needed to submit a new mold which made no sense. Now my original plan is gone and I can not see it on my dashboard. No one knows why and now I am out all of my money. It makes no sense.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Tiffany. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're concerned to hear about your experience. If you have any issues, feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com so that we can assist further.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Sasely was amazing! She took her time to explain everything to us, especially since my son was so shy and didn't even want to smile. (The reason we went) She was patient with him, super informative and extremely personable. Thank you so much! Can't wait to see him smile all the time!!

SmileDirectClub response

Hey Ilene. This is so exciting to hear! We are thrilled about this feedback.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I had an amazing customer service experience at the Greenville South Carolina branch a Smile Direct Club. My representative was extremely nice, understanding, and ensure that all of my questions were answered. I could not have asked for a better rep.

SmileDirectClub response

Cortney, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at SmileDirectClub!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Updated on 09/14/2021: After returning the mail-in impression kit, I was charged without authorization for the wrong product in the amount of $1950. I called to inform them of the mistake, and was promised a reversal of the authorized charges. The next day I called back only to find out that the refund was never processed – I was lied to by the previous agent. This 2nd agent said she reversed the charges and processed the refund, and even sent me an email confirmation. 10 days later I still hadn’t received the refund. I called back and was told by a 3rd agent that the refund was processed and to wait a bit longer. Later that day, that 3rd agent emailed me an apology and said, in fact, the refund STILL had not been processed, and that she processed it on that day.

I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor to explain how it is possible that I could be lied to on 3 separate occasions about such a simple transaction. I got hung up on, hassled, and put on hold for an hour, only to talk to someone else who was also clearly in a foreign call center and couldn’t make decisions. It is clear that SDC’s call centers are designed to run you in circles and frustrate your attempts to rectify issues. They lied to me multiple times and unethically held onto an unauthorized charge of $1950 for 2 weeks, and only refunded my money after multiple phone calls, emails, and long hold times. I believe these “mistakes” were purposeful, and deliberately unethical in nature. I urge you, do not trust this company with your dental health.

Original Review: I submitted my "fast track form" with my impression kit indicating that I wanted the nighttime aligners, and specifically omitted my billing information and said to contact me before proceeding (to ensure the order was right). Unfortunately, I was charged without authorization, and even worse, I was charged for the WRONG kit (the standard aligners, not the nighttime aligners). This shows your people are not even reading the fast track form.

Then, when I called and asked to have the charges reversed (because they were never authorized), the agent told me the charges would be reversed and I would receive an email confirmation. By the next day, I never got an email, so I called back only to find out that the agent from the other day had not, in fact, reversed the charges. These are problems that make me not want to trust SDC, and strike me as shady business practices. I hope this is just some kind of lack of training, and I would appreciate an explanation for these issues. I want to use SDC, but am now hesitant.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Michael, this is Toni, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We always want to promptly address any concerns that arise. We are sorry to hear about your experience thus far, and we would like to learn more. We will be reaching out via private message to further assist. Best, Toni

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Brenden was kind, professional and accommodating. I have a physical disability and he did not treat me any differently than anyone else and was accommodating to move furniture and items for me to make it easier for me. He was professional the entire time and explained everything in detail and thoroughly, but to where I understood it. I highly recommend going to Brenden for your scan!

SmileDirectClub response

We are loving your enthusiasm, Ashley! This means the world to us – thank you so much.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I wanted to straighten my bottom teeth and SmileDirectClub has been good to keep reevaluating and sending me new ones. If I have a problem, I message on Facebook Messenger, and they get back to me immediately. Whatever has to be done, they've been on top of it right away. I'm gonna keep wearing the retainer and try to be happier with my teeth. I know the bottom part's gonna be a lot better for me as I age. Now my own son now has started doing it. He's 40 and he's liking it too.

SmileDirectClub response

We are grinning from ear to ear. Thank you for the support, Judy. We are always here for you!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I started with SmileDirectClub last November and getting set up was easy. I made an appointment, found the office, and I was there for 40 minutes. It's neat how they have the wand that they put in your mouth, and you can look up on the computer screen to see exactly your teeth and gums, every little millimeter of space. In a month, I noticed a change more in my top that didn't need it as much because it was just little things and then it was straighter. I originally had gone in because I wanted my bottom teeth done, and the girl that helped me told me that it was the same price no matter if you do one or both, so I did both. Actually, I needed the top done, also, ‘cause they're a lot straighter than they were.

You have to do the 22 hours like they say, and be mindful of the time that you've worn it yourself so that you can readjust your time frame if you need to. There was one day that I had taken them out to eat something and then I fell asleep that night, so I didn't wear them the next day. You have to know to adjust your time. If it’s for that week, make sure you adjust the time accordingly. If I did it for six hours, I always adjusted and gave myself an extra day. They sent me an email saying, "It's time to change your aligner." On the email, you can touch a button that says, "Reset your schedule," and you can put it off for a day or a week.

SmileDirectClub response

Thank you again for taking the time to share a review! We truly appreciate the support.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

After finishing my retainers I was not happy with my teeth, I asked for touch up retainers and got an impression kit, and sent it back and was told it was received. Then I heard nothing back for a month, then I emailed asking what the issue was, and was told to send pictures. So I did, then nothing for weeks. So I emailed again, and was told the same thing, that I need to send pictures. I have not heard back again.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Karson. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're concerned to hear about your experience. If you have any issues, feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com so that we can assist further.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I liked all the help I got from everyone, but I just thought the pricing was way too much due to the fact that they couldn’t help with the bottom teeth. I’m only gonna be getting treatment for the top teeth and paying almost full price.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Jesus. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. We appreciate all feedback. If you have any details you would like to add, please send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

This is been one of the worst customer service experience I’ve had with a company in many years. Over a week later I still don’t have a scan promised many times within 72 hours. Attempted to get an update after five days from your chat support and I had the rudest encounter possibly ever. Now a week later and still nothing and this is the third email wondering how you’re doing. Not great. I will not be ordering from your company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I wanted to straighten some of my teeth and do it economically and also not have to go in to an orthodontist. The process with SmileDirectClub was great from the first package that came to the door. If I had any problems, I could still reach out to the orthodontist that was molding my aligners. Everything was great. I got the results I'm looking for. I would tell anybody to go for it, especially if they don't want the brackets. It was very economical and I was glad I was able to do it.

SmileDirectClub response

Happy to hear this, Devaughn! We appreciate that you took the time to share some kind words.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I wanted to straighten out a few of my teeth. The process with SmileDirectClub consisted of wearing the correctors almost all day, except when you're eating, and then all night. After the first round, I still wasn't happy. So, they provided me with a second round right away. Their customer service is excellent and I'm pretty happy with the results.

SmileDirectClub response

This means a lot to us, Kim. We sure are proud of both our team and the technology we use in order to give our customers a cost-effective and convenient option. Thank you so much for your kind words of support.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Impression a bit difficult to use. I followed instructions on touch up kit which did not require photos. A week later, email requested photos, Aug. 13. I did not hear anything and called on Aug 28 to follow up. Dental team forwarded my inquiry to a supervisor. Am waiting for status. Thank you.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Margaret. We're concerned to see this, as we take pride in the attention that our customer care team devotes to all communication efforts. In order to better assist you, please reach out to us directly at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I am very interest to do the treatment, however, my plan has been diagnosed as possible only if I use 22hours/day. I have done some tests during the day, considering my normal working and eating hours I would need to take them out average of 4 hours. So I will use it only a max of 20 hours/day. I asked over the phone to an attendant and his response was that this would not cover the guarantee of the treatment. This is why I am still considering if I will spend the money to do this treatment.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Claudio. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. If you have any details you would like to add, please send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

They sent me aligners one time where all the numbers were mixed up and so they had to send me a completely new set. That really delayed the process a lot. Then I had to get a new retainer because I got a retainer that was supposed to be the end, but my teeth were not straight. So I had to do another six aligners after that. Between the additional aligners that I had to do and then the gap of waiting for aligners, the process got to be a while. But my teeth are a lot better than they were. Everyone at SmileDirect was really nice and easy to get ahold of. They resolved issues as quick as they could. My one tooth really bothers me but I'm overall happy.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Jules. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. If you have any details you would like to add, please send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I purchased the aligners in 2019. The Smile Direct Club aligners have caused me a number of issues, cheek and gum damage, migraines, jaw pain and neck pain, and more. In addition, and to my utmost disappointment, the Smile Direct Club aligners did not work at all. The Smile Direct Club aligners are poorly designed (cheap plastic) and ultimately, were not designed for my teeth (defective).

I have attempted on multiple occasions to have the Smile Direct Club aligners redesigned to fit, and requested that I receive a refund and cancellation only to be requested to jump through hoops with no clear end in sight. Smile Direct Club have agreed to waive all future payments, however, continue to take money out of my account. Smile Direct Club have continuously submitted inconsistent and unfair responses in respect of my issues. Smile Direct Club have had no remorse in respect of COVID-19 circumstances and inability to gather the evidence they require in order to receive a full refund. I intent on commencing proceedings and lodging a formal complaint with ACCC.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Nora, this is Toni, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. It is important to us to always provide a genuine service for our customers. We are sorry to hear about your experience thus far, and we would like to learn more. In order for us to best assist, we will be reaching out via private message. Best, Toni

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

The outside of the store and the waiting room are very attractive. The waiting room was very informative. The exam room was very immaculate. I could tell by the actions of Dom and Ash that COVID 19 rules were being strictly adhered to. My guides were very polite and sociable. They explained the Program and answered all of my questions. As a senior, I am not only looking for a nice smile but, wanting to protect my gums and teeth. My most important goal is to keep my teeth by not allowing moving teeth to endanger my bite.

SmileDirectClub response

Mimi, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at SmileDirectClub!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Everyone was very helpful. My experience was perfect except for dealing with Limber M. from your dental team. He was very uncooperative, unhelpful, and most of all rude. He made snarky comments and refused to listen to me.

SmileDirectClub response

Hello Race, this is Toni, one of the Customer Care Feedback Specialists here at SmileDirectClub. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. It is important to us to always provide a genuine service for our customers. We are sorry to hear about your experience thus far. For further assistance, we will be reaching out via private message. Best, Toni

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I like everything about them. I just hate that my last set didn't fit proper because my teeth on my right side stop shifting so now I'm stuck with a tiny gap. I still like my smile a little better than I did before I must say. I paid my account off but I guess I have to follow up with my dentist.

SmileDirectClub response

Sherell, we really appreciate your feedback, if you had any concerns that haven't been addressed, please email us at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I am still in the process of completing my treatment but I am very, very pleased with my results so far. Also, SmileDirectClub has been very helpful and always available to answer any questions or concerns that I have had.

SmileDirectClub response

We're so happy to see this review. Thank you so much!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

The staff has been so kind and professional. I have enjoyed the experience. It has taken longer trying to align a severely twisted tooth but it’s finally coming together. The results have been fantastic.

SmileDirectClub response

We appreciate your positive words! We're honored.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I am happy with the results, however, my gap in my 2 front teeth continues to separate after several hours without the retainers. After an overnight with the retainers the gap closes only to repeat the cycle again. The photo shows the gap open.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Dorice. We're concerned to see this, In order to better assist you, please reach out to us directly at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I am almost finished and my last number 8 aligner doesn't fit. I sent the photos in and they were not good enough so I went to the local SmileDirect office and they were wonderful. Great staff BUT I would have given 5 stars BUT, I still have not received my finishing aligners. The response time is not good. Too slow.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Bobbee, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us this feedback.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I had got my 3D print on how my teeth will look after Smile direct and all you guys did were the top row and the bottom row didn’t get fixed at all and that’s the main thing I asked about. So I canceled and got my refund because I was not paying $1400 for my top row that’s isn’t even crooked.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Xavier. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a rating. We're disappointed to see this, but we appreciate all feedback. If you have any details you would like to add, please send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I had braces as a teen but didn’t wear retainers afterward and of course my teeth went crooked again. I had gotten quotes from orthodontists over a few years thinking about getting them straight again. I heard about the mail straightening kits like Smile Direct Club and checked into it. I chose this company because I liked that they had a location in my city that can digitally scan my teeth and not have to do impressions. I felt like it would be more accurate than impressions and they took my insurance. Overall a great experience and it’s on my list of best purchases ever.

SmileDirectClub response

Wow! This means a lot to us, Chad. We sure are proud of both our team and the technology we use in order to give our customers a cost-effective and convenient option. Thank you so much for your kind words of support.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

My first attempt at straightening went off track and customer services arranged for a review and follow up 3D scan with a new batch of aligners and we got everything back on track. I am really happy with the results and now wear retainers overnight to ensure that my results are maintained.

SmileDirectClub response

Jacqueline, your wonderful feedback and rating means a lot to us!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I had a great experience with Smile Direct, from the in person staff to the helpful support staff; who help resolve any rare issues. I am happy to see my teeth aligned. The way they were after I got my braces off years ago. I would highly recommend Smile Direct for anyone's teeth alignment needs.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Jurran. We're so happy to see this review. Thank you so much!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I loved it from the moment I walked in. These ladies were extremely nice. They were super sweet and the experience was amazing. And I can’t wait to go through my journey and look forward to my new smile once I start my journey.

SmileDirectClub response

Ashley, thank you for your kind review. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at SmileDirectClub!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I got my scans done at the Newark facility. Have been waiting for my touch-up aligners for over a month! Have reached out twice to understand the status and no one has answers for me. One rep. told me they would get back in 3 business days and did not. What else do I have to do to get the service I paid for? I am amazed at the irresponsibility of this company.

SmileDirectClub response

Hi Anais. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're concerned to hear about your experience. If you have any issues, feel free to send us an email at reviews@smiledirectclub.com so that we can assist further.

SmileDirectClub Company Information