Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.08/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Invisalign makes clear plastic aligners that straighten teeth, correcting issues ranging from simple to complex. Patients visit an Invisalign-trained doctor for a consultation to get a customized treatment plan. Treatment takes an average of 12 to 18 months, during which the user wears aligners 20 to 22 hours a day, switching them out every one to two weeks. According to the company, over 9 million people worldwide have used its liners.

BOTTOM LINE

Invisalign’s nearly invisible aligners straighten teeth without wires or brackets. Treatment requires doctor visits every four to six weeks and lasts an average of 12 to 18 months. Cost is similar to that of braces.

PROS
  • Nearly invisible aligners
  • Free consultations
  • Treats simple to complex cases
CONS
  • No guarantees
  • More expensive than competitors

Top Invisalign Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisalign?

They are a comfortable fit and removable when eating and cleaning. Saw visible results In 6 weeks and in 6 months my teeth were 90 percent straight. I used them longer because my eye teeth were sticking out like fangs on a vampire. Nice product Invisalign.

I love my Invisalign! I had a few crooked teeth on the bottom row so my dentist recommended them. I have about 6 months left of wearing them but they are the best. Could not be more happy!

Invisalign products

What is Invisalign?

Invisalign is a treatment that straightens teeth using nearly invisible aligners that are clear, plastic and removable and have no wires or brackets. Invisalign customizes aligners to treat tooth crowding, overbite, underbite, crossbite, gaps and open-bite conditions in adults and teenagers.

Invisalign treatment lasts an average of 12 to 18 months, with costs similar to those of braces. Unlike other companies that make invisible braces, Invisalign requires regular, in-person visits to a doctor. Over 9 million people around the world have used Invisalign, according to the company.

How does Invisalign work?

Get started with Invisalign by taking the assessment on its website. You’ll answer questions about your age and teeth. If you're a good fit, Invisalign's Smile Concierge Team will help you schedule a consultation with an Invisalign-trained doctor in your area.

During this exam, you’ll receive a 3D scan of your teeth and a preview of your new smile. This is a good time to ask questions about how long treatment will last and how much it will cost. Bring your insurance card if you have coverage.

Once you approve the treatment plan, Invisalign creates your customized aligners with its SmartTrack material. You will need to wear the Invisalign aligners 20 to 22 hours a day and change them every one to two weeks. You’ll remove the aligners when eating, drinking, brushing your teeth and flossing. Treatment for teens may come with compliance indicator dots so parents know their children are wearing their aligners.

You can expect regular checkups with your doctor every four to six weeks. Treatment may require SmartForce attachments for complex tooth movement. Once you are done wearing the aligners, your doctor will likely recommend that you wear retainers. Invisalign recommends Vivera retainers.

How much does Invisalign cost?

Your doctor determines the cost of Invisalign treatment based on the complexity of your case and how many aligners you need. Invisalign states that the price of treatment is “about the same” as braces. It gives examples of quotes on its website ranging from $3,400 to $7,100.

Some dental and health insurance providers cover part of the cost of Invisalign. Before going in for your consultation, contact the provider to ask if it accepts your insurance. You can contact your insurer to check your benefits or ask your provider to do it for you.

Ask your doctor also about a monthly payment plan. Keep in mind that you may be able to use a health savings account (HSA) or flexible spending account (FSA) to pay for invisible braces. Speak with your benefits manager and doctor’s office about using money from an HSA or FSA.

Invsalign FAQ

Can Invisalign ruin your teeth?
    During your initial consultation with the Invisalign-trained doctor, ask about the risks associated with Invisalign. During treatment, it’s important to maintain good oral health, with regular visits to your dentist and the doctor monitoring your treatment. You’ll need to remove your aligners before eating or drinking and brush your teeth after every meal before putting the aligners back in your mouth. Follow your provider’s instructions and let them know if you’re experiencing any problems.
    Can your teeth move back after Invisalign?
    Yes, your teeth can shift back after treatment. Your doctor will likely recommend wearing custom-made retainers.
    Is Invisalign a permanent fix?
    Invisalign treatment is designed to provide lasting results. Your doctor may recommend wearing a retainer so that your teeth don’t shift back to their original positions.
    Can you eat normally with Invisalign?
    There are no food restrictions with Invisalign. You just need to take out the aligners before eating and brush your teeth before putting them back in.
    Does Invisalign change your face shape?
    It’s possible that Invisalign can change the shape of your face. If you have concerns or questions about how treatment can change your face shape, ask your dentist or orthodontist during the initial consultation; they may be able to show you specific areas of your face that can change.
    Does Invisalign hurt?
    You may feel some discomfort or pressure during the first few days of wearing new aligners. This is normal and a sign that the aligners are working. If you have persistent discomfort, you should let your doctor know.
    Can Invisalign fix an overbite?
    Yes, Invisalign can fix an overbite. Schedule a consultation with a doctor in your area to see how Invisalign can help.
    Is Invisalign covered by insurance?
    It depends on your insurance plan. In many cases, insurers cover Invisalign the same way they cover traditional braces. Insurance might cover a certain dollar amount or a specific percentage of the cost. To find out if your dental or health insurance covers Invisalign, contact your insurance company or ask your Invisalign doctor’s office if it will do a benefits check.

Is Invisalign worth it?

Invisalign is a well-known alternative to traditional braces that's designed to be just as effective at correcting teeth in adults and teenagers. There are many appealing factors: The aligners are nearly invisible and removable, there are no brackets or wires and the treatment time is often shorter. Trained dental and orthodontic professionals oversee treatment. The cost is similar to the cost for braces, but Invisalign tends to be more expensive than other companies offering invisible braces. If you’re considering options to straighten your teeth, we recommend looking for a free Invisalign consultation with a doctor in your area.

Invisalign Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisalign?

Original review: April 29, 2021

Invisalign worked well for my son. He was in middle school at the time, and he's very much liked not having wires. There were no hassles or pain from broken wires, either. The timeline was the same as for standard braces. The Invisalign braves gave him a bit of a lisp at first, but that went away soon, when he got used to them. He was very diligent about cleaning them and not eating between meals, so everything went smoothly. I recommend them highly. It seems the price could be much less, which goes for regular braces, too.

Original review: April 18, 2021

Invisalign really lives up to their name. While you are wearing braces, they are hardly noticeable and near to invisible. They're comfortable and don't get in the way of normal activities like eating and chewing. They are simply there, helping your teeth slowly become aligned over time. That's where the second part of the name comes in: Align. They work to gradually over time transform your mouth with straighter teeth and a better bite. Overall, I would recommend it to anyone having issues with their teeth.

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I really love my smile now and it makes me happy. It’s really nice to be so comfortable smiling and feeling like myself. I’m more comfortable going out and spending time with friends. Invisalign is not uncomfortable and is really fast. With insurance it’s totally doable as it’s a lot cheaper than other ones I have seen. It only took under a year to get the smile I have been wanting. I can’t express enough how grateful I am for Invisalign and for the smile I can finally show everyone and be proud.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Invisalign provides great results, comparable to traditional braces. A huge benefit is the ability to take the aligners out to clean teeth without maneuvering around all the brackets and wires. It's much easier to keep teeth clean when appliances aren't fixed to the teeth. The main disadvantage of clear aligners is they are removable, making it easier to lose or forget to put back in. Unfortunately they do not work if they aren't in the mouth. Overall, I am satisfied with my results, but it is very expensive.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I am using Invisalign braces for my bottom teeth only. I am 55 years old, and had traditional braces as a teen. My bottom teeth had become crooked over the years, and so I tried Invisalign. They are very expensive, and a year of wearing them regularly, my teeth are definitely straighter, but not perfect. I am somewhat disappointed that I did not achieve the end result I was hoping for. The Invisalign are great in the respect that you have flexibility, and I would recommend for minor needs. I believe traditional braces give you a better end result.

Original review: April 23, 2021

They move you through slowly altering your teeth. I wish I had not throwing out my previous set because sometimes you need to go back to the previous set. Also don’t use toothpaste to clean them because it scratches them and they are no longer invisible. Overall I was very pleased. Just didn’t want it so obvious after I scratched them.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I really liked the results but moved before I was done through the office I purchased them. I now think I should have been able to pick up at another office that offers Invisalign; I paid upfront. I was not told you need to wear a retainer forever at night, and did not keep up with it and some teeth moved.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Taking a lot longer than expected, traditional braces may have been faster, more corrective. Big thing with these is you have to take them out to eat, and clean them/your teeth before putting them back. Losing the trays is always a concern. We've lost one or two at a restaurant etc.

Original review: April 20, 2021

Invisalign braces are a wonderful solution for adults needing braces. I would not recommend them for teenagers, especially boys. You have to pay more attention to brushing and cleaning than most young people do not like to do. I would also recommend really taking a deep dive into the differences between traditional braces and Invisalign before deciding. All in all, I would choose the Invisalign.

Original review: April 19, 2021

Invisalign is I think by far the best company to work with, it's been around and were the first to come on the market. It will make your teeth straight for that sought after look of the perfect mouth, nicer smiles and look natural.

Original review: April 17, 2021

Invisalign helped to straighten my teeth out and also protect me from grinding at night. They are also very convenient to wear and clean. I would recommend to people of all ages. They are easy to put into your mouth as well as remove.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Invisalign is the best invisible braces out there and the trays are very convenient. The buttons on the teeth are also very good and they help a lot. This take a very short time and easy to adapt to.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I am very disappointed that Invisalign did not make my trays properly and consequently my teeth did not come out as planned. They neglected to put some of the pockets in the trays to accommodate the space required for the attachments that were glued to my teeth (to keep the trays seated properly.) Since the trays did not have space for the attachments and could not seat properly, the teeth with the attachments were slowly pushed into my jawbone and are now approx. an eighth inch recessed and are no longer functional (I can not chew food with these teeth anymore). My bottom teeth came out great so I can see if the trays are made properly they do work good, but unfortunately that is not always the case. I am hopeful Invisalign will make a strong effort to take corrective action on their own free will so I do not have to take legal action!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Our overall experience has been very good. The timeline for straightening teeth is short than with braces and provide great result. Orthodontist appoints are quick, usually around 10 minutes, and the process can be adjusted along the way.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Discomfort you can manage, but I had a severe reaction to the plastic used in the product. My tongue swelled, my gums turned a raw red, and my entire mouth burned. I would not recommend this product. Excuses were made about a powder coating on some Invisalign products, but what I had was an awful reaction to the chemicals in the Invisalign tooth trays. Even after I stopped using the tooth trays, it took nearly 3 weeks before my mouth recuperated.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

My bottom teeth were crooked all my life. These braces got my teeth in line. They were not painful. I could take them out to eat and clean them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I received my Invisalign braces two weeks ago, and am already on my second tray. So far, I am extremely pleased with the Invisalign experience and am excited to continue the path to a more confident smile. My orthodontic provider was able to show me a computer generation of how my finished treatment should look, and I love it!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

My front two upper teeth had a gap between them after I was too years old to mention so I had my dentist provide me with Invisalign braces. They were successful in fixing the teeth problem but also did cause my bite to be just slightly off from what it was. Or I would have given them a five star rating.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

The results were great. But, since there might be filing of teeth adjacent to each other to allow room, you have to have a good Dentist. If you don't, they will not know how much to shave and it could extend the treatment or cause a tooth gap problem. But, the program is good.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

My sister never smiled. I asked her one day why she doesn’t ever smile for pics or ever just get excited and smile. Her answer shocked me, she said she doesn’t like her teeth. I recommend Invisalign’s to her. She tried them and now she never stops smiling.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Went through first treatment to longer than initially thought. Had to go through a second treatment as some of teeth went back to original form. Told have to wear retainer 16 hours a day. Bottom teeth still not correct.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

They were pretty painless. I love that I didn't have to visit the orthodontist every two weeks. Great look. I literally just finished my treatment today and am extremely happy with the results!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Invisalign, used by my orthodontist, provided my 50-year-old teeth with a bnew life! The whole process took 3 years, but the amazing results made it well worth the time and effort. Life!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

The company is so professional, always going the extra mile for the patient. They make you feel comfortable. Above all, they are very clean, always dressed clean and professional.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

They are much easier to wear than braces but take longer than they were supposed to by 18 months. But as an adult, I felt better about wearing them and the result was perfect.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Never wore this kind because I had a friend who had them and had dental infection from them and the alignment was bad, she was very dissatisfied with them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

They were more efficient than when I had regular braces. The process was easy to follow/direct. Overall the comfort level even when got a new set was high.

Original review: May 25, 2020

Ever since aligner number 3, in my 43 aligner treatment, and I have suffered extreme neck and jaw issues which have not been acknowledged by my dentist of Invisalign. TMJ was never present before my treatment, and I now have TMJ (clicking jaw, popping ear, masseter pain from constant jaw clenching). Due to your teeth & jaw being under constant tension, you will find yourself clenching your mouth and jaw - which is turn can have severe impacts on your connecting muscles.

For me, this cluster of issues began as clenching, mostly during sleep. My aligners have moved my teeth into a position that they clash when I bite down. I started waking up with muscle soreness, and then shaking jaw muscles - I was forced to take potent anti-inflammatories, and then after months I ended up paying $650 to get my masseter muscles botoxed (that helped).

A month into jaw pain, it streamed down my neck - I ended up and still am in full-blown muscle spasm in my neck, shoulders and pectoral - even causing tingling and numbness in my arm. I have had to take several sick days due to pain and migraines, plus just the general discomfort. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on Osteo, Chiro, MRI's, XRAYS etc. - going through a process of elimination due to the dentist not accepting that it's my aligners causing this cluster of reactions. Nothing has been found, structurally - I am in perfect condition cuturally.

I am now left to use my initiative and have decided to push through to the end of treatment - only because I can see on my treatment plan that my teeth are clashing. I am hoping that my newly formed TMJ corrects itself once my teeth are better positioned. You will not get recognition of this from most practitioners. But you will make the connection if this ever happens to you as you can feel the tension and pulling.

With my dentist - I have changed my treatment plan to move less, even so, the pain has not subsided. Your jaw being under constant tension does, and will impact you. The challenge being that it will be denied that Invisalign has anything to do with it - even though it makes complete sense. Read this article if you are experiencing the same. ** I honestly would not wish this upon anyone. Good-luck.

Original review: May 14, 2020

If I could go back, I would just accept my 1 small gap. The anxiety, time, cost and result were not only not worth it, they caused damage. I am a person who smiles a lot. I always had a small gap. That gap moved as I got older. One stubborn tooth started twisting far and away. So at 40 I got braces to correct it. For history, about 6 years prior I had my first bone graft for a back tooth to fill a deep pocket. About 3 years prior I had another for 2 back teeth. So, I had braces for 6 months. Result was great. No fuss no muss. No oddness. No strange anything.

Fast fwd. I lost my retainer at 48. My same gap and twisty tooth came back. I decided to try Invisalign for uppers only at 50. First, was told 9 weeks, 9 trays. By week 4, my gums were receding at a noticeable rate. At week 7, I became alarmed. My front upper teeth were hitting my lower, my teeth were canting (pointing inward, making my smile narrow), and my bite was off. I called the dentist. Came in. Told him week 5 was the last tray I felt relatively ok. My gap was closed in tray 5. He said to go back to tray 5. He'd contact invisalign and see what they recommend. (I had no idea that despite getting scanned, the trays can absolutely be off!!! Which can totally ruin everything without vigilant correction.)

In tray 5, I noticed my front teeth had a very slight wiggle. OMG. The pandemic hit. My dentist disappeared and did not call me back. I remained in tray 5 for 2 more months. My teeth still wiggled. I found a dentist kind enough to see me. He took xrays and said he thought the teeth moved too fast, and the lowers were hitting the uppers, preventing them from settling. He shaved a tooth in an attempt to prevent this. He said let's give it time.

About 3 weeks later I found a new Ortho willing to see me. She planned to transfer me, shave more lower teeth, put me in a retainer. Meanwhile, a perio office opens and I am able to make an appt. He says, "If you have movement, please see me first." Keep in mind 3 teeth have had a slight wiggle for months. I am terrified. I am told one pacifying thing from ortho and dentistry. But you don't really know the story until you talk to a periodontist or surgeon. The fact is if your teeth are moving visibly, have wiggle, it is in danger. If it does this for a period of time, like me due to pandemic, it is not good. I will likely need bone grafts. I will also likely need gum grafts. Thousands of dollars to repair damage and prevent tooth loss. I don't believe this would have happened with braces. Or if I had just lived with my small gap! I really regret getting Invisalign. I'm even skeptical about their retainer now.

If you must, choose braces. Braces are slower. Controlled by only by an ortho. No weird canting or corrections. And no terrible damage like I'm experiencing now. All from just 7 weeks, then 6, then 5 weeks and staying in 5 weeks for pandemic months. Avoid invisalign. Bite the bullet. Go with braces. And be devoted to your retainer. I pray I keep my smile. And that you keep yours.

Invisalign Company Information