3.0/5 (138 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Byte

Byte makes clear plastic aligners to help customers straighten their teeth with no office visits. Certified dentists and orthodontists design treatment plans and monitor progress remotely. Patients see results in an average of two to six months. Byte offers financing options with 100% approval for both its all-day and nighttime-only aligners. Order an impression kit risk-free; if you aren’t a good candidate, Byte refunds the price.

Pros

• Short treatment plans
  • 100% approval for financing
  • Nighttime-only option
  • Lifetime guarantee

Cons

• Not everyone is a candidate
  • Nighttime aligners are pricier

Bottom Line

Byte's costs are on the higher end, but the company approves 100% of applicants for financing. Treatment times are short, and the company guarantees results for life.

Top Byte Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Byte?

Verified

It’s such a easy experience! Things are moving along greatly! Everything is super easy to follow! And very smooth shifting of teeth! I love this journey and I’m so excited to see ...

Verified

Very impressed with the customer service. … I had a lot of spacing on top after getting my wisdom teeth removed and in just six months, they were close to perfect again. Thank you...

Byte products

What is Byte?

Byte is an invisible braces company that helps correct mild to moderate teeth alignment issues, including crowding, spacing and rotation. Customers take at-home impressions, and Byte’s dentists and orthodontists prescribe and monitor a customized treatment plan — according to Byte's website, the average treatment plan is four to six months.

Byte has two plans: all-day aligners, which need to be worn 22 hours a day, and nighttime-only aligners, which have to be worn continuously for 10-plus hours daily. Each treatment plan comes with the HyperByte device, a high-frequency vibration device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day with aligners) and ease discomfort associated with the treatment.

How much is Byte?

Byte all-day aligners cost $1,895, and night-only aligners cost $2,295. The price includes a customized treatment plan with a 3D preview of your straightened teeth, aligners, a bottle of BrightByte teeth whitener, the HyperByte device and a first set of retainers. The Byte impression kit costs $29.95 when you use a promo code; the money is refunded if doctors determine you aren’t a good candidate for treatment.

Byte also offers financing options. The BytePay payment plan is approved for 100% of customers and comes with the Byte Protection Plan, which includes five years of retainers and replacement of any lost or stolen retainers. BytePay is $82 a month for 32 months ($249 down payment) for the all-day aligners and $99 per month for 32 months ($299 down payment) for nighttime-only aligners. Other financing plans are available. Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies; it does accept payments from health savings accounts (HSAs) and flexible spending accounts (FSAs).

• Byte impression kit: $29.95
  • Byte aligners (upfront cost): $1,895 (all-day) or $2,295 (night-only)
  • Byte aligners with BytePay financing: $82/month (all-day) or $99/month (night-only) with down payment (includes ByteProtection Plan)
  • Byte retainers: $129 (first set free)

Byte offers discounts to former and active military and college and graduate students.

How does Byte work?

1. Complete the at-home impression kit

Byte sends you an impression kit with free shipping. The kit includes trays, molding putty, gloves and a stretcher for your mouth. The kit gives you two chances to do top and bottom impressions. If you need help, you can call Byte. Once you’re finished, return the impressions using the provided box and prepaid shipping label.

2. Await evaluation

Dentists and orthodontists review your impressions to determine if you are a candidate for Byte aligners. If Byte decides you aren’t, it refunds the cost of the impression kit. If you are a suitable candidate, Byte creates a 3D model of your teeth after treatment and designs a personalized treatment plan.

3. Select plan

Once your treatment plan is approved, select the plan that is most convenient for you: all day or all night. Each plan comes with the HyperByte device, BrightByte whitener and a set of free retainers (post-treatment plan).

• Personal aligners: You receive a set of clear plastic aligners based on your treatment plan. Aligners are BPA-free and tear-resistant.
    • HyperByte device: HyperByte is Byte’s high-frequency vibration (HFV) device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day) and ease discomfort caused by the aligners.
    • BrightByte: Use BrightByte foam to whiten your teeth, freshen your breath and clean your aligners. The first bottle is complimentary; additional single bottles cost $30.
  4. Complete treatment plan

Byte all-day aligners should be worn 22 hours a day, while nighttime aligners require 10 hours of continuous wear each night. Aligners should only be removed for eating and drinking. The HyperByte device should be used for five minutes each day during treatment. Aligners are switched weekly.

Byte users have access to Byte customer service seven days per week. Progress is monitored with monthly check-ins.

5. Byte smile is guaranteed for life

The Byte for Life Guarantee covers additional treatment if your teeth move out of alignment after treatment. To qualify, you must confirm at least once per year that you are wearing the retainers as directed. Byte provides your first set of retainers with your treatment plan.

Byte FAQ

Does Byte take insurance?

Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurers, but it can help you figure out if you have coverage and provide the forms you need to file a claim. Visit the company's website to see if you qualify.

How much does Byte cost with insurance?

It depends on your particular insurance plan. If you send Byte your insurance details, it can tell you if you have coverage and how much the insurer will pay.

Will Byte make my teeth fall out?

The use of any invisible aligners is likely to make your teeth feel looser, but will not cause your teeth to fall out. Teeth are connected to your skull and jaw by bone, and the realignment will not cause them to fall out.

How long does Byte take?

Each treatment is different, but the typical Byte treatment plan takes between four and six months, according to the company's claims about initial treatment plans.

How old do you have to be to use Byte?

Byte treats clients 12 and older who have all of their adult teeth. Clients younger than 18 need parental consent.

Who owns Byte?

Byte is owned by Dentsply Sirona, a dental products manufacturer based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Dentsply Sirona acquired Byte at the end of 2020.

Does Byte fix overbite?

Eligibility for Byte treatment is determined on a case-by-case basis. Byte may be able to correct an overbite. The best way to determine if Byte aligners can help is to order an impression kit and send it back to Byte. If you aren’t a candidate, the company refunds the price.

Does Byte hurt?

You may experience some soreness the first few days after starting a new aligner.

How long does Byte take to ship?

Once your treatment plan is approved, Byte ships out your aligners. It takes a few weeks to receive the aligners after treatment is approved.

Is Byte legit?

Byte is an effective and affordable way to straighten teeth at home. Each customized treatment plan is reviewed by Byte's network of licensed dentists and orthodontists before the company ships any aligners.

Byte customers have access to Byte's customer service care team seven days a week to ask questions and for support. Progress is monitored with monthly check-ins. If you have further questions about Byte, we recommend calling the company. When you’re ready, order a risk-free impression kit to find out if you're a candidate for treatment.

Byte Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Byte?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

They have you use a device called a Hyperbyte and its usage is tracked by an app. At first, it worked great. After about a month, I started having connectivity issues. The device connects via bluetooth but it will not connect to my app sometimes, which is frustrating because it seems like I never use the hyperbyte.

Byte response

Hello Skylar, we're sorry to hear about your issues with the HyperByte. We are always looking for ways to improve the customer experience so we appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback. We're actively working on optimizing the connection, syncing, and adding troubleshooting to the app. In the meantime please reach out to our support team for more assistance at patient.byte.com/support and we'll do our best to get everything working for you. Thank you and we look forward to connecting with you soon.

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

The app is lacking a lot of potential features. For instance, the check ins must be done through the website instead of app, the app only gives you a reminder. Can’t compare progress pics on app, can’t even change the day of the week in which you switch out your aligners. Way too limited in capabilities, it needs to contain the features that are available on the Byte website so it’s streamlined and easier to access. What’s the point of doing some things on the site and others on the app? It’s confusing.

Byte response

Hello Shay, we are always looking for ways to improve the customer experience so we appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback. We are really upset that you are dissatisfied with the app. We're actively working on optimizing the connection, syncing and adding troubleshooting to the app. In the meantime please reach out to our support team for more assistance at patient.byte.com/support and we'll do our best to get everything working for you. Our team is also available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST. Thank you!

Original review: July 15, 2022

Thank you to the representative who has helped me out. This is the best customer service I have ever had. I originally tried getting liners with Smile Direct. But they gave me the worst service I have ever experienced. I couldn't find anyone to talk to or help me. Coming to you guys was the best decision I have ever made Thanks for all the help, and fast responses. You're on top of it, keep it up!!! I hope your manager reads this and acknowledges your hard work. You deserve it!!!

Byte response

Hi Dayaneira, thank you for this awesome review! We are so happy to hear our team supported you all the way through which ultimately led you to purchase! We are so excited for you and hope to keep the rest of your experience good! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, we are standing by for support.

Original review: April 4, 2022

So far my experience has been positive. There are things here and there that could be improved on just for ease of use. We're supposed to keep all the aligners but the packages are not resealable. This means, in addition to keeping the aligners (and for myself, the packaging to keep them in order), I also need to get and keep a zip lock bag for each set as well. If the original pouch that it came in was resealable, it would just be more convenient and less wasteful. Another thing that would be useful would be if it came with more than one file for the aligners. I have an 18-week plan but need to file the rougher edges for each one and it dulls the file pretty quickly. I've had a great experience so far, but just a few things that I think might improve the experience for future users!

Byte response
    Hey Gina, thank you so much for that feedback! We value hearing
    how we can improve the experience for our customers while they are in treatment.
    We will pass this information to the appropriate department to review for treatment

plans moving forward. Please let us know if there is anything we help with moving forward. You can reach our team at patient.byte.com/support or by phone at 877-298-3669.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I’ve been self conscious about my teeth my whole life. Even tho most say my teeth are perfect already, they weren’t for me. I did some research and not only does Byte have the option for me to wear my aligners only while I sleep, but it’s EXTREMELY affordable compared to some of the competitors. They’re also more comfortable than I expected, and are easy to adjust to! If that’s not enough, the process was incredibly fast! From the moment I made the down payment, I was told that it would take about 5 weeks at most to get my kit and start my journey. My retainers showed up 11 days later. I was pumped! I had a personal customer service rep that I could text on the phone and get quick answers! It was great and I recommend Byte to anyone reading this!

Byte response

Hi Samantha! Thank you for this amazing review! Here at Byte, we pride ourselves on providing the best service from the moment you order the impression kit all the way to the end of treatment. Our goal is to make sure that our customers have an enjoyable experience and reach their desired smile. We are so happy for you!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

Don't waste your money on this product. Go to an orthodontist or a competitor. I got a cracked molar and consistent jaw pain. What they won't tell you is that you'll likely need to wear the retainers for life (the changes are definitely not permanent) and it costs a fortune to replace a single aligner when they eventually crack/split - meaning eventually you'll waste even more money. Customer service is pretty appalling too and it takes weeks and weeks to receive the product or replacements.

Byte response
    Hello Ben. We at Byte value open communication and transparency as top priority. Upon completing your treatment, we want to ensure that your new smile is maintained. As a courtesy, your first retainer will be provided complimentary. However, to ensure optimal retention of your new smile, it is recommended to replace your retainer every 6 months to a year, at the cost of $129 per set.

To provide added convenience and peace of mind, we offer a Byte Protection Plan which includes 5 years' worth of retainers and coverage for any lost, damaged, or stolen aligners during the treatment. We are dedicated to ensuring that your new smile is preserved for many years to come. We want to look into your concerns and do what we can to help. Our team is available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST. You can also fill out the link at https://patient.byteme.com/ or email us at bytereviews@byteme.com to connect with the Clinical Team.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Do not use Byte. I know the price point is tempting, but I have a valid reason why I do not recommend their service. They only provide half the trays upfront, then you need to complete a check in to receive the remaining brackets. I submitted all of the required documentation, AND CALLED THE NEXT DAY, to which I was told everything looked great and they should arrive in 3-4 weeks. At week 3, I call. JUST TO BE SAFE. The order was never submitted. I have been in the same bracket for two weeks, and will have to wait another 4 to received the "already confirmed" remaining brackets. These trays are not meant to be used for 6-8 weeks.

They will not do anything to remedy their wrong, other than say "there's nothing they can do." When I asked for a refund because they did not comply with their treatment best-practices they replied with "In 3-4 business days someone from upper management will send an email." I paid cash, upfront, in full and they just never placed my order. Again, do not use this company. My teeth will not be straight and I'm out all my money.

Byte response

Hello Crystal. We at Byte value open communication and transparency as top priority. It's important to make sure that we can address these concerns and do what we can to help as soon as possible. Our team is available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST. You can also fill out the link at https://patient.byteme.com/ or email us at bytereviews@byteme.com to connect with the Clinical Team. Please give us a call and let's make sure you are being taken care of!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

Very friendly and communicative customer service (phone, text and email) upfront. But in the end they would not allow me to put a downpayment on the aligners so that I could use my FSA funds before the end of the year. So keep in mind that if you have FSA/HSA money to use up, start the process with Byte at least 2 weeks before the end of the year, if not more. I also recommended that they update their website to make that clearer, since the website indicates that you can pay a downpayment, which would simply be refunded if the orthodontist decides that you are not a candidate. But in speaking with the customer service team, they clarified that you must do the impressions, send them back and the orthodontist has to review everything and approve your care plan before any payment can be made. Odd that they don't offer a downpayment options, but oh well. Will go back to Invisalign!

Byte response

Hello Laura. At Byte, we know how important communication is and we always strive to be open and transparent. We would love to look into this further and chat more about your questions and concerns. Our team is available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST. We are standing by for support!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

I've had issues with 1 tooth since the beginning of my treatment and complained multiple times. They just kept making new impressions of my teeth that still weren't helping. Then they asked me to stop wearing aligners for over 2 months, which made my teeth completely crooked, then told me they could no longer help me and offered a refund, which they previously told me wasn't an option since they offer 100% guarantee. I can't talk to anyone on the phone. When I call, no matter the number they give me, it goes straight to Serena's voicemail who is apparently in charge of my account. I have complained everywhere, but still can't speak to anyone on the phone. No one listens in emails. Don't use them!

Byte response

Hi Rachael. At Byte, we know how important communication is and we always strive to be open and transparent. We would love to look into this further and chat more about your questions and concerns. Our team is available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST. You can also fill out the link at https://patient.byteme.com/ or email us at bytereviews@byteme.com to connect with the Byte Support Team.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

Do not use Byte! They have awful customer service. I had to request my additional aligners to be sent to me and had to speak to a bunch of people from customer service before anyone would respond, which delayed the process. After 28 weeks, my two bottom teeth are still crooked. I reached out to customer service about it and they ignored me for a month. Then they told me it’s because of gapping between the aligners and my teeth, and to wear my prior aligners again. I did that, still crooked. Byte needs to have much better customer service and they need to be more proactive about checking in. Everything is automated so it feels very not personal and it’s a pain to get some help.

Byte response

Hi Eva. At Byte, we know how important communication is and we always strive to be open and transparent. We would love to look into this further and chat more about your questions and concerns. Our team is available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST. You can also fill out the link at https://patient.byteme.com/ or email us at bytereviews@byteme.com to connect with the Byte Support Team.

Byte Company Information