4.3/5 (566 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Amelia York
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Byte

Byte makes clear plastic aligners to help customers straighten their teeth with no office visits. Certified dentists and orthodontists design treatment plans and monitor progress remotely. Patients see results in an average of two to six months. Byte offers financing options with 100% approval for both its all-day and nighttime-only aligners. Order an impression kit risk-free; if you aren’t a good candidate, Byte refunds the price.

Pros

• Short treatment plans
  • 100% approval for financing
  • Nighttime-only option
  • Lifetime guarantee

Cons

• Not everyone is a candidate
  • Nighttime aligners are pricier

Bottom Line

Byte's costs are on the higher end, but the company approves 100% of applicants for financing. Treatment times are short, and the company guarantees results for life.

Top Byte Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It’s such a easy experience! Things are moving along greatly! Everything is super easy to follow! And very smooth shifting of teeth! I love this journey and I’m so excited to see ...

Verified

Very impressed with the customer service. … I had a lot of spacing on top after getting my wisdom teeth removed and in just six months, they were close to perfect again. Thank you...

Byte products

What is Byte?

Byte is an invisible braces company that helps correct mild to moderate teeth alignment issues, including crowding, spacing and rotation. Customers take at-home impressions, and Byte’s dentists and orthodontists prescribe and monitor a customized treatment plan — according to Byte's website, the average treatment plan is four to six months.

Byte has two plans: all-day aligners, which need to be worn 22 hours a day, and nighttime-only aligners, which have to be worn continuously for 10-plus hours daily. Each treatment plan comes with the HyperByte device, a high-frequency vibration device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day with aligners) and ease discomfort associated with the treatment.

How much is Byte?

Byte all-day aligners cost $1,895, and night-only aligners cost $2,295. The price includes a customized treatment plan with a 3D preview of your straightened teeth, aligners, a bottle of BrightByte teeth whitener, the HyperByte device and a first set of retainers. The Byte impression kit costs $29.95 when you use a promo code; the money is refunded if doctors determine you aren’t a good candidate for treatment.

Byte also offers financing options. The BytePay payment plan is approved for 100% of customers and comes with the Byte Protection Plan, which includes five years of retainers and replacement of any lost or stolen retainers. BytePay is $82 a month for 32 months ($249 down payment) for the all-day aligners and $99 per month for 32 months ($299 down payment) for nighttime-only aligners. Other financing plans are available. Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies; it does accept payments from health savings accounts (HSAs) and flexible spending accounts (FSAs).

• Byte impression kit: $29.95
  • Byte aligners (upfront cost): $1,895 (all-day) or $2,295 (night-only)
  • Byte aligners with BytePay financing: $82/month (all-day) or $99/month (night-only) with down payment (includes ByteProtection Plan)
  • Byte retainers: $129 (first set free)

Byte offers discounts to former and active military and college and graduate students.

How does Byte work?

1. Complete the at-home impression kit

Byte sends you an impression kit with free shipping. The kit includes trays, molding putty, gloves and a stretcher for your mouth. The kit gives you two chances to do top and bottom impressions. If you need help, you can call Byte. Once you’re finished, return the impressions using the provided box and prepaid shipping label.

2. Await evaluation

Dentists and orthodontists review your impressions to determine if you are a candidate for Byte aligners. If Byte decides you aren’t, it refunds the cost of the impression kit. If you are a suitable candidate, Byte creates a 3D model of your teeth after treatment and designs a personalized treatment plan.

3. Select plan

Once your treatment plan is approved, select the plan that is most convenient for you: all day or all night. Each plan comes with the HyperByte device, BrightByte whitener and a set of free retainers (post-treatment plan).

• Personal aligners: You receive a set of clear plastic aligners based on your treatment plan. Aligners are BPA-free and tear-resistant.
    • HyperByte device: HyperByte is Byte’s high-frequency vibration (HFV) device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day) and ease discomfort caused by the aligners.
    • BrightByte: Use BrightByte foam to whiten your teeth, freshen your breath and clean your aligners. The first bottle is complimentary; additional single bottles cost $30.
  4. Complete treatment plan

Byte all-day aligners should be worn 22 hours a day, while nighttime aligners require 10 hours of continuous wear each night. Aligners should only be removed for eating and drinking. The HyperByte device should be used for five minutes each day during treatment. Aligners are switched weekly.

Byte users have access to Byte customer service seven days per week. Progress is monitored with monthly check-ins.

5. Byte smile is guaranteed for life

The Byte for Life Guarantee covers additional treatment if your teeth move out of alignment after treatment. To qualify, you must confirm at least once per year that you are wearing the retainers as directed. Byte provides your first set of retainers with your treatment plan.

Byte FAQ

Does Byte take insurance?

Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurers, but it can help you figure out if you have coverage and provide the forms you need to file a claim. Visit the company's website to see if you qualify.

How much does Byte cost with insurance?

It depends on your particular insurance plan. If you send Byte your insurance details, it can tell you if you have coverage and how much the insurer will pay.

Will Byte make my teeth fall out?

The use of any invisible aligners is likely to make your teeth feel looser, but will not cause your teeth to fall out. Teeth are connected to your skull and jaw by bone, and the realignment will not cause them to fall out.

How long does Byte take?

Each treatment is different, but the typical Byte treatment plan takes between four and six months, according to the company's claims about initial treatment plans.

How old do you have to be to use Byte?

Byte treats clients 12 and older who have all of their adult teeth. Clients younger than 18 need parental consent.

Who owns Byte?

Byte is owned by Dentsply Sirona, a dental products manufacturer based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Dentsply Sirona acquired Byte at the end of 2020.

Does Byte fix overbite?

Eligibility for Byte treatment is determined on a case-by-case basis. Byte may be able to correct an overbite. The best way to determine if Byte aligners can help is to order an impression kit and send it back to Byte. If you aren’t a candidate, the company refunds the price.

Does Byte hurt?

You may experience some soreness the first few days after starting a new aligner.

How long does Byte take to ship?

Once your treatment plan is approved, Byte ships out your aligners. It takes a few weeks to receive the aligners after treatment is approved.

Is Byte legit?

Byte is an effective and affordable way to straighten teeth at home. Each customized treatment plan is reviewed by Byte's network of licensed dentists and orthodontists before the company ships any aligners.

Byte customers have access to Byte's customer service care team seven days a week to ask questions and for support. Progress is monitored with monthly check-ins. If you have further questions about Byte, we recommend calling the company. When you’re ready, order a risk-free impression kit to find out if you're a candidate for treatment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Byte?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I have always been embarrassed by the gap between my two front teeth. I used to have braces as a teenager and my teeth were perfect but I broke one of the front ones when I was 20 and was left with a pretty big gap after my tooth was fixed. Then pregnancy and years of not taking care of my teeth made them even worse. I started by having my teeth repaired with bonding but the gap was still there and I hated it. My dentist said I could do Invisalign but the price was just too much for me. I then decided to look into cheaper solutions. I knew I didn't want to do SDC because I had heard bad reviews and I initially signed up for an impression kit from another company.

While I was waiting for my impressions to be reviewed, I saw ads for Byte and decided to look into it. Straight away I liked the night option. I love to drink coffee and tea and I couldn't myself not drinking them during the day. I also would have found it difficult to brush my teeth at lunch since I'm a teacher and have to eat my students and can't leave them by themselves even for a few minutes.

I ordered the impression kit and received it very quickly. Everything was very well explain and the directions were easy to follow. I took the photos and my impressions and sent them back. Within a few days I had a treatment plan laid out with. some images showing the progress week after week and how my teeth would look in the end. I still had to decide between day and night and sent texts back and forth to my customer service assistant who was very helpful and responded very quickly to all my questions. I decided to go for the night option despite it being a little more expensive because it seemed more convenient to me. I was able to set up a payment plan and received my aligners shortly after.

The box that contains the aligners is very sturdy and each aligner is individually packed. There is also some BrightByte (foam that cleans the aligners and whitens the teeth) and an HyperByte (vibrating instrument that helps put the aligners in place correctly). The instructions are very clear: the aligners need to be worn for at least 10 hours and the HyperByte needs to be used for a minimum of 10 minutes everyday. I started using the aligners the day I received them, at first they were a little uncomfortable but the HyperByte helps putting them in place properly and they don't really hurt.

I am now a few months into my treatment and I can already see the difference. I like that the Byte Team reaches out regularly and gives me personalized advice. For example, they told me to go back to previous bottom aligners since my bottom teeth were not where they were supposed to be. Overall I feel I made the right choice by choosing Byte and I can't wait to see the final result!

Byte response

This is incredible! We appreciate you submitting such a detailed review. It is important for us to provide our customers with a stress-free, smooth journey to a new smile! We are so happy to hear about your experience so far. Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I'm about halfway through my Byte (at night) treatment plan, with 3 and a half more months to go. The process of getting signed up, receiving the molding kit, and taking the molds was very quick and smooth for me. I was very careful to follow directions when taking the molds, since otherwise that could result in issues with the treatment plan and fit of aligners. My plan has 29 top aligners and 16 bottom aligners. The top teeth have been progressing very smoothly with no fit issues. I'm currently on #16. The bottom aligners did have some fit issues related to an area of crowding with one stubborn slanted tooth (one of the main reasons I wanted to do Byte in the first place).

On aligner #9 I realized that there was an air gap between that tooth and the aligner, and after sending photos to Byte customer service, they asked me to send photos with previous sets of aligners on, and I ended up reverting back to #7. Since then, I've been wearing bottom aligners on a different schedule (10 nights per aligner) compared with the top (7 nights per aligner). The Hyperbyte tool helps, but I found that purchasing and using 'aligner chewies' on Amazon - although not specifically recommended by Byte - helped more in my case (along with hyperbyte). The shape and rigidity of the hyperbyte didn't allow it to help with the aligner fit in an area with a slanted, crowded tooth, like aligner chewies could. I've been using them both. It was a bit of trial and error on my part.

It's important to ensure that your teeth are tracking with aligners (with no major air gaps) before you switch to the next week's set. One minor complaint is that I reached out to Byte the night I switched to aligner #13 on the top (which is what they said to do), so that they can then mail you your second aligner set (#16 onward; they only send the first 15 at first). They initially said they could not send me the second aligner set until I was up to week 13 on the bottom too. This didn't make any sense -- due to reverting back in time, and due to the longer schedule (10 night/aligner) on the bottom, I wouldn't be caught up on the bottom for about 2 months. Meanwhile, I only had 16 aligners total in my treatment plan on the bottom (there was only one more to send) and 29 on the top.

It took a few rounds of emails for me to get them to agree to send the second round of aligners, and even then, I still didn't get them until one week after I should have started week #16 on the top (so my treatment plan was delayed a week). Not a huge deal -- and overall I am satisfied. The lower cost (compared with Invisalign), the flexibility to not have appointments, the moderately responsive customer service (usually takes 2-3 days to hear back, sometimes longer), and results I've seen so far (my teeth are actually getting straighter!) would make me recommend Byte.

I recommend the Byte at night product even though it will make the treatment plan longer and is slightly more expensive. It is unrealistic to actually wear the aligner all day every day (except while eating), although I know some people manage. Drinking sparkling water, coffee, snacking, going out to eat, etc. is all so much more complicated if you have to wear it all day. I've found that my teeth have been moving mainly on track, even though I have only been wearing them at night.

Byte response

Thank you for your feedback, Matthew. We are happy to hear that overall your experience has been positive. Our team is always standing by for support to get our customer's smiles back on track. If you ever have any questions we are just an email, phone call, or text away :)

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Byte has been a great alternative to an otherwise costly ‘in-office’ partnered provider. Still costly though, and perhaps that is where the lack of personnel interaction during this experience factors in. Granted, they were very present in the beginning before I signed up and paid hundreds of dollars. I am still in the process of my alignment journey, and while my domestic partner has noticed a difference, no others have. I can most definitely tell a difference, however, with less than three weeks to go on my bottom teeth, I have concerns. I suppose they could still straighten out within that timeframe, but I’m surprised the company hasn’t checked in on my progress.

I did complete a ‘check-in’ where I took more photos, but was then informed that the pictures and process was only for my own reference after the alignment timeframe. You would think that there would be an official check-in before completion of the alignment journey with personnel, ensuring that my teeth should be where they are supposed to be at this point in time. Perhaps they follow-up upon completion, and I suppose I still have some time to find out.

Byte response

Hi there, we are sorry to hear that you have not heard from anyone since purchasing your aligners. Once making that purchase, you should receive an email confirmation as well as check-in emails about every 2 weeks to make sure you are progressing as projected. At times, these emails may get stuck in a spam or junk folder. With this said, we want to make sure you are able to connect to the appropriate party and receive the assistance needed and check your progress on the lower teeth. We are here to support you and get you that smile you have dreamed of! If you still have had issues hearing from our team, please reach out at 877-298-3669 during normal business hours MST Monday-Sunday and our team would be happy to assist! If none of our representatives are available, please select the callback option so the next available representative can give you a callback, or send us a DM through FB and we'd be happy to help

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I am on week 11 of my treatment plan so far. I completed the 10 weeks for lower teeth and have 5 more weeks to go for upper teeth. I chose Byte based on a review panel I came across that singled out byte as the only aligner system that offers money back guarantee. I got my kits and didn’t really know what to expect. At first I was nervous thinking boy, did I just waste $2k. But boy was I wrong. This system has encouraged a major improvement in my oral hygiene habits where I used to be lazy at night and skip brushing and I was a very infrequent flosser to the dismay of my dentist. Now I am super diligent every single night with brushing, using my aligners, flossing multiple times per week. Went for my routine cleaning a couple weeks ago and my dentist was super impressed - he noticed how clean my teeth were, that they were several shades whiter, and the straightening…

Let’s get to the straightening. We’re getting there. My main concern was my two front teeth overlapped slightly. They’re in the process of separating and over the coming weeks they will (hopefully) straighten! To watch as a gap is created between these two teeth that have always overlapped so tightly, to the point that it was difficult to get a piece of floss between them, has been really exciting. Now, the customer service… exceptional. The packaging: awesome. Ease of use and instruction: well done. Really no complaints at all and pleasantly surprised!

Byte response

Our team is here for you every step of the way. We know that going through a smile transformation journey is a big deal and we want to make sure you feel comfortable throughout the entire experience. We are so glad to hear our customer care team has been able to help you out and provide you with such a positive experience. Thanks so much for the review!

Original review: July 23, 2021

I have had mostly good experiences so far with this company. The only thing that I am not happy with is having to wait 3-4 weeks for the second half of my aligners to be made and shipped. I feel like that should be considered when giving a time frame for the treatment plans.

Byte response

Thank you for the feedback, Heather. We can understand your frustrations. Our team wants to ensure that we are providing the best fitting aligners, which is why we wait until step 12 or 13 before reviewing your progress and ordering the remaining aligners. We will send this feedback to our leadership team. As it is always important to us to be transparent with all of our customers regarding their treatment. If you ever have any questions we are standing by for support!

Original review: June 13, 2022

They spent lots of time trying to get me to buy that product. Have had terrible with the aligners and customer support since. I've had my aligners for 1 year. Nothing but problems and not even half way done through my treatment. Multiple reorders, backtracks, and inferior customer service. Look elsewhere!

Byte response

Hi Ross, we are always looking for ways to improve the customer experience so we appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback. Our goal is to make sure that our customers have an enjoyable experience through every part of the process. We stand by our product and services to ensure each customer achieves the projected end goal in the safest way possible. While some treatment plans may take longer than others or require some adjustments to their plan since everyones anatomy is different and will reflect results at a different rate. We will provide professional assistance to ensure we get customers the results promised. Please reach out to us at patient.byte.com/support or send us a direct message on Facebook or Instagram so that we can further address any concerns you are experiencing. We look forward to connecting.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I got to the 6th aligner and it did not fit. No help from customer service. l feel like I wasted my time and money. I requested a refund and have yet to hear from them. I should have followed my instinct and not pay in full.

Byte response

Hi Aba, we want to do everything to ensure each customer progresses well and feels supported through each step. It's important to make sure that we can address these concerns and do what we can to help as soon as possible. We would love to look into this further and chat more about your questions and concerns. Our team is available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST or send us a direct message through Facebook and our team would be happy to assist. Let's make sure you are being taken care of!

Original review: June 7, 2022

I received one on one care that allowed me to explain my situation and be heard with a very bubbly conversation in between! Byte was always easy to use but now they have improved their company with an app and even better customer service!

Byte response

We are so excited for you, Alina! From start to finish, our team is ready and available to get you on track, check that progress, and get you to those final results!

Original review: May 30, 2022

I initially was quite pleased with Byte and the stellar customer service I received prior to making the purchase. After is a completely different story. My aligners have no been fitting for the last 6 weeks, and something is clearly wrong, but I have gotten short responses by different people just asking for more information, a week apart. This is horrible customer service. My bite is completely screwed up and my back teeth and front teeth are no longer touching. These people clearly don’t know what they are doing. I wish that I had spent the extra money to purchase Invisalign so I could be reassured that those who actually know what they are doing would be checking up on my teeth through the process. My bite has been completely destroyed and I have yet to get any real answers from anyone. Beware before using this company! Once they take your money, the follow through is deplorable.

Byte response

Hi Ashley. At Byte, we want to make sure each customer is getting to their new smile in the safest and best way possible. If any questions arise regarding the fit of aligners, that is where our Professional Care Team comes in. Sometimes teeth are more stubborn than we expected and take longer to move. Each customer has the option to schedule a phone or video call through their customer portal with our Professional Care Team. Our team should be sending you check-in emails every 2 weeks to make sure everything is progressing as projected. Those emails can sometimes get stuck in a junk or spam folder. If you haven't been seeing those emails, let's check that out right away. We would love to look into this further and chat more about your questions and concerns. Our team is available to speak via phone call at (877) 298-3669 Monday-Sunday, 8 AM-6 PM MST or send us a direct message through Facebook and our team would be happy to assist. Let's make sure you are being taken care of!

Original review: May 27, 2022

I was a bit skeptical at first but this was amazing, from the start! They sent the impression kit and it was super simple to administer and ship back. They send the aligners in phases, keeping track of your progress along the way. Everything is easily accessible online and communications were on point! I highly recommend this over other companies. They hyperbyte is a game changer!

Byte response

Bindi, thank you for the great and honest review! We do what we can to make the byte process as smooth as possible, from the moment you complete your impressions to the day we send out the retainers.

Byte Company Information