3.8/5 (294 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Amelia York
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Byte

Byte makes clear plastic aligners to help customers straighten their teeth with no office visits. Certified dentists and orthodontists design treatment plans and monitor progress remotely. Patients see results in an average of two to six months. Byte offers financing options with 100% approval for both its all-day and nighttime-only aligners. Order an impression kit risk-free; if you aren’t a good candidate, Byte refunds the price.

Pros

• Short treatment plans
  • 100% approval for financing
  • Nighttime-only option
  • Lifetime guarantee

Cons

• Not everyone is a candidate
  • Nighttime aligners are pricier

Bottom Line

Byte's costs are on the higher end, but the company approves 100% of applicants for financing. Treatment times are short, and the company guarantees results for life.

Top Byte Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It’s such a easy experience! Things are moving along greatly! Everything is super easy to follow! And very smooth shifting of teeth! I love this journey and I’m so excited to see ...

Verified

Very impressed with the customer service. … I had a lot of spacing on top after getting my wisdom teeth removed and in just six months, they were close to perfect again. Thank you...

Byte products

What is Byte?

Byte is an invisible braces company that helps correct mild to moderate teeth alignment issues, including crowding, spacing and rotation. Customers take at-home impressions, and Byte’s dentists and orthodontists prescribe and monitor a customized treatment plan — according to Byte's website, the average treatment plan is four to six months.

Byte has two plans: all-day aligners, which need to be worn 22 hours a day, and nighttime-only aligners, which have to be worn continuously for 10-plus hours daily. Each treatment plan comes with the HyperByte device, a high-frequency vibration device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day with aligners) and ease discomfort associated with the treatment.

How much is Byte?

Byte all-day aligners cost $1,895, and night-only aligners cost $2,295. The price includes a customized treatment plan with a 3D preview of your straightened teeth, aligners, a bottle of BrightByte teeth whitener, the HyperByte device and a first set of retainers. The Byte impression kit costs $29.95 when you use a promo code; the money is refunded if doctors determine you aren’t a good candidate for treatment.

Byte also offers financing options. The BytePay payment plan is approved for 100% of customers and comes with the Byte Protection Plan, which includes five years of retainers and replacement of any lost or stolen retainers. BytePay is $82 a month for 32 months ($249 down payment) for the all-day aligners and $99 per month for 32 months ($299 down payment) for nighttime-only aligners. Other financing plans are available. Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies; it does accept payments from health savings accounts (HSAs) and flexible spending accounts (FSAs).

• Byte impression kit: $29.95
  • Byte aligners (upfront cost): $1,895 (all-day) or $2,295 (night-only)
  • Byte aligners with BytePay financing: $82/month (all-day) or $99/month (night-only) with down payment (includes ByteProtection Plan)
  • Byte retainers: $129 (first set free)

Byte offers discounts to former and active military and college and graduate students.

How does Byte work?

1. Complete the at-home impression kit

Byte sends you an impression kit with free shipping. The kit includes trays, molding putty, gloves and a stretcher for your mouth. The kit gives you two chances to do top and bottom impressions. If you need help, you can call Byte. Once you’re finished, return the impressions using the provided box and prepaid shipping label.

2. Await evaluation

Dentists and orthodontists review your impressions to determine if you are a candidate for Byte aligners. If Byte decides you aren’t, it refunds the cost of the impression kit. If you are a suitable candidate, Byte creates a 3D model of your teeth after treatment and designs a personalized treatment plan.

3. Select plan

Once your treatment plan is approved, select the plan that is most convenient for you: all day or all night. Each plan comes with the HyperByte device, BrightByte whitener and a set of free retainers (post-treatment plan).

• Personal aligners: You receive a set of clear plastic aligners based on your treatment plan. Aligners are BPA-free and tear-resistant.
    • HyperByte device: HyperByte is Byte’s high-frequency vibration (HFV) device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day) and ease discomfort caused by the aligners.
    • BrightByte: Use BrightByte foam to whiten your teeth, freshen your breath and clean your aligners. The first bottle is complimentary; additional single bottles cost $30.
  4. Complete treatment plan

Byte all-day aligners should be worn 22 hours a day, while nighttime aligners require 10 hours of continuous wear each night. Aligners should only be removed for eating and drinking. The HyperByte device should be used for five minutes each day during treatment. Aligners are switched weekly.

Byte users have access to Byte customer service seven days per week. Progress is monitored with monthly check-ins.

5. Byte smile is guaranteed for life

The Byte for Life Guarantee covers additional treatment if your teeth move out of alignment after treatment. To qualify, you must confirm at least once per year that you are wearing the retainers as directed. Byte provides your first set of retainers with your treatment plan.

Byte FAQ

Does Byte take insurance?

Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurers, but it can help you figure out if you have coverage and provide the forms you need to file a claim. Visit the company's website to see if you qualify.

How much does Byte cost with insurance?

It depends on your particular insurance plan. If you send Byte your insurance details, it can tell you if you have coverage and how much the insurer will pay.

Will Byte make my teeth fall out?

The use of any invisible aligners is likely to make your teeth feel looser, but will not cause your teeth to fall out. Teeth are connected to your skull and jaw by bone, and the realignment will not cause them to fall out.

How long does Byte take?

Each treatment is different, but the typical Byte treatment plan takes between four and six months, according to the company's claims about initial treatment plans.

How old do you have to be to use Byte?

Byte treats clients 12 and older who have all of their adult teeth. Clients younger than 18 need parental consent.

Who owns Byte?

Byte is owned by Dentsply Sirona, a dental products manufacturer based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Dentsply Sirona acquired Byte at the end of 2020.

Does Byte fix overbite?

Eligibility for Byte treatment is determined on a case-by-case basis. Byte may be able to correct an overbite. The best way to determine if Byte aligners can help is to order an impression kit and send it back to Byte. If you aren’t a candidate, the company refunds the price.

Does Byte hurt?

You may experience some soreness the first few days after starting a new aligner.

How long does Byte take to ship?

Once your treatment plan is approved, Byte ships out your aligners. It takes a few weeks to receive the aligners after treatment is approved.

Is Byte legit?

Byte is an effective and affordable way to straighten teeth at home. Each customized treatment plan is reviewed by Byte's network of licensed dentists and orthodontists before the company ships any aligners.

Byte customers have access to Byte's customer service care team seven days a week to ask questions and for support. Progress is monitored with monthly check-ins. If you have further questions about Byte, we recommend calling the company. When you’re ready, order a risk-free impression kit to find out if you're a candidate for treatment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Byte?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I have always been embarrassed by the gap between my two front teeth. I used to have braces as a teenager and my teeth were perfect but I broke one of the front ones when I was 20 and was left with a pretty big gap after my tooth was fixed. Then pregnancy and years of not taking care of my teeth made them even worse. I started by having my teeth repaired with bonding but the gap was still there and I hated it. My dentist said I could do Invisalign but the price was just too much for me. I then decided to look into cheaper solutions. I knew I didn't want to do SDC because I had heard bad reviews and I initially signed up for an impression kit from another company.

While I was waiting for my impressions to be reviewed, I saw ads for Byte and decided to look into it. Straight away I liked the night option. I love to drink coffee and tea and I couldn't myself not drinking them during the day. I also would have found it difficult to brush my teeth at lunch since I'm a teacher and have to eat my students and can't leave them by themselves even for a few minutes.

I ordered the impression kit and received it very quickly. Everything was very well explain and the directions were easy to follow. I took the photos and my impressions and sent them back. Within a few days I had a treatment plan laid out with. some images showing the progress week after week and how my teeth would look in the end. I still had to decide between day and night and sent texts back and forth to my customer service assistant who was very helpful and responded very quickly to all my questions. I decided to go for the night option despite it being a little more expensive because it seemed more convenient to me. I was able to set up a payment plan and received my aligners shortly after.

The box that contains the aligners is very sturdy and each aligner is individually packed. There is also some BrightByte (foam that cleans the aligners and whitens the teeth) and an HyperByte (vibrating instrument that helps put the aligners in place correctly). The instructions are very clear: the aligners need to be worn for at least 10 hours and the HyperByte needs to be used for a minimum of 10 minutes everyday. I started using the aligners the day I received them, at first they were a little uncomfortable but the HyperByte helps putting them in place properly and they don't really hurt.

I am now a few months into my treatment and I can already see the difference. I like that the Byte Team reaches out regularly and gives me personalized advice. For example, they told me to go back to previous bottom aligners since my bottom teeth were not where they were supposed to be. Overall I feel I made the right choice by choosing Byte and I can't wait to see the final result!

Byte response

This is incredible! We appreciate you submitting such a detailed review. It is important for us to provide our customers with a stress-free, smooth journey to a new smile! We are so happy to hear about your experience so far. Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I'm about halfway through my Byte (at night) treatment plan, with 3 and a half more months to go. The process of getting signed up, receiving the molding kit, and taking the molds was very quick and smooth for me. I was very careful to follow directions when taking the molds, since otherwise that could result in issues with the treatment plan and fit of aligners. My plan has 29 top aligners and 16 bottom aligners. The top teeth have been progressing very smoothly with no fit issues. I'm currently on #16. The bottom aligners did have some fit issues related to an area of crowding with one stubborn slanted tooth (one of the main reasons I wanted to do Byte in the first place).

On aligner #9 I realized that there was an air gap between that tooth and the aligner, and after sending photos to Byte customer service, they asked me to send photos with previous sets of aligners on, and I ended up reverting back to #7. Since then, I've been wearing bottom aligners on a different schedule (10 nights per aligner) compared with the top (7 nights per aligner). The Hyperbyte tool helps, but I found that purchasing and using 'aligner chewies' on Amazon - although not specifically recommended by Byte - helped more in my case (along with hyperbyte). The shape and rigidity of the hyperbyte didn't allow it to help with the aligner fit in an area with a slanted, crowded tooth, like aligner chewies could. I've been using them both. It was a bit of trial and error on my part.

It's important to ensure that your teeth are tracking with aligners (with no major air gaps) before you switch to the next week's set. One minor complaint is that I reached out to Byte the night I switched to aligner #13 on the top (which is what they said to do), so that they can then mail you your second aligner set (#16 onward; they only send the first 15 at first). They initially said they could not send me the second aligner set until I was up to week 13 on the bottom too. This didn't make any sense -- due to reverting back in time, and due to the longer schedule (10 night/aligner) on the bottom, I wouldn't be caught up on the bottom for about 2 months. Meanwhile, I only had 16 aligners total in my treatment plan on the bottom (there was only one more to send) and 29 on the top.

It took a few rounds of emails for me to get them to agree to send the second round of aligners, and even then, I still didn't get them until one week after I should have started week #16 on the top (so my treatment plan was delayed a week). Not a huge deal -- and overall I am satisfied. The lower cost (compared with Invisalign), the flexibility to not have appointments, the moderately responsive customer service (usually takes 2-3 days to hear back, sometimes longer), and results I've seen so far (my teeth are actually getting straighter!) would make me recommend Byte.

I recommend the Byte at night product even though it will make the treatment plan longer and is slightly more expensive. It is unrealistic to actually wear the aligner all day every day (except while eating), although I know some people manage. Drinking sparkling water, coffee, snacking, going out to eat, etc. is all so much more complicated if you have to wear it all day. I've found that my teeth have been moving mainly on track, even though I have only been wearing them at night.

Byte response

Thank you for your feedback, Matthew. We are happy to hear that overall your experience has been positive. Our team is always standing by for support to get our customer's smiles back on track. If you ever have any questions we are just an email, phone call, or text away :)

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I was referred to Byte by my older brother halfway through his treatment plan - we were both born with jaws too small to fit all of our teeth and we both had canines that were pushed uncomfortably high and forward as we grew up. I noticed the aligners were helping to realign his canine so I wanted to give it a try as well. Like all teeth alignment plans, Byte requires a commitment and you'll need to adjust your eating and brushing habits to keep the aligners clean and get good results. Before using it, I brushed my teeth once a day; Now, out of habit I brush after every meal and they've never been this white and polished in my whole life, and that's just a side effect of the treatment requirements.

While my unruly canine is still not completely level with my other canine (getting it completely flush would require a more involved dental procedure), it's positioned much better than it used to be and I'm no longer afraid to smile and show my pearly whites! I do wish that the staff was quicker to respond, sometimes it would take more than a week before I received a reply to my questions, but I understand this is a consequence of being understaffed due to COVID and thus I won't knock down the rating for it. Despite the delays, Byte stood by their guarantee and sent me additional aligners outside of the original treatment plan until I was happy with the results.

Byte response

Hi Sabrina! We're so happy to hear you're loving your Byte journey. Throughout every step of treatment, we are here for you. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions, concerns, or just want someone to hype up your new straighter, whiter smile :)

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

This whole process has been quite manageable. I never had braces before, but one of my kids did & my my sister did, when we were little, so I assumed it would be much more of an ordeal, but mine situation was just cosmetic, so not very complicated. The cost was reasonable & the offer, to straighten & whiten your teeth in less than 6 months is pretty unbeatable. I chose to do 10 hours a day rather than 22, so my treatment will take longer. But it's still like 4 months. I’ve got a bit more to do, maybe 4 more weeks. My teeth look a lot better! They’re way straighter, & I wasn’t sure if I’d even like them changed at all, but of course, they really do look better straighter & whiter. The whitening stuff is great because it is mild but effective over time, as you’d want it. Customer service has been quite good. The tooth vibrate thing is weird but they take it very seriously so I try to do it a lot. All in all, pretty painless with good results.

Byte response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rudie. Our goal is to make this process as seamless and stress-free as possible. We are so happy to hear you are seeing the progress in your smile. The HyperByte may take some time to get used to, but it does so much for your treatment. It is FDA cleared to safely straighten your teeth in up to half the time of most other options out there. It also improves the accuracy of teeth movement and even helps reduce discomfort when switching trays. We can't wait to see your new smile!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Byte has been a great alternative to an otherwise costly ‘in-office’ partnered provider. Still costly though, and perhaps that is where the lack of personnel interaction during this experience factors in. Granted, they were very present in the beginning before I signed up and paid hundreds of dollars. I am still in the process of my alignment journey, and while my domestic partner has noticed a difference, no others have. I can most definitely tell a difference, however, with less than three weeks to go on my bottom teeth, I have concerns. I suppose they could still straighten out within that timeframe, but I’m surprised the company hasn’t checked in on my progress.

I did complete a ‘check-in’ where I took more photos, but was then informed that the pictures and process was only for my own reference after the alignment timeframe. You would think that there would be an official check-in before completion of the alignment journey with personnel, ensuring that my teeth should be where they are supposed to be at this point in time. Perhaps they follow-up upon completion, and I suppose I still have some time to find out.

Byte response

Hi there, we are sorry to hear that you have not heard from anyone since purchasing your aligners. Once making that purchase, you should receive an email confirmation as well as check-in emails about every 2 weeks to make sure you are progressing as projected. At times, these emails may get stuck in a spam or junk folder. With this said, we want to make sure you are able to connect to the appropriate party and receive the assistance needed and check your progress on the lower teeth. We are here to support you and get you that smile you have dreamed of! If you still have had issues hearing from our team, please reach out at 877-298-3669 during normal business hours MST Monday-Sunday and our team would be happy to assist! If none of our representatives are available, please select the callback option so the next available representative can give you a callback, or send us a DM through FB and we'd be happy to help

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I was told I was not a candidate for the BYTE aligners but they will not refund my $905.00. I have made several calls, left several messages and no reply. I called the BYTEPAY and they say they have requested my refund but nothing has been resolved yet. Still waiting and now they say they need documents IN ORDER TO GET MY REFUND ALTHOUGH THEY ARE THE ONES WHO TOLD ME I WAS NOT A CANDIDATE FOR THEIR PRODUCT. They did not provide me with their product so therefore I should get my money back but they keep taking the payments out every month on the 30th! I just want my money refunded!!!

Byte response

Victoria, thank you for reaching out. We're so sorry to hear about these hurdles and want to do what we can to assist, as we take this matter very seriously. Please reach out to us at bytereviews@byteme.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Amber walked me through my impression process and she also scheduled the pickup as well. She is absolutely incredible, so kind and extremely helpful. She responded quickly and continuously checked on me throughout the process. She deserves a raise!! Thank you Amber!

Byte response

Felicia, thank you for the kind review! We could not agree more--Amber is the best! We're so glad to hear she was so helpful. If any questions arise, please reach out! We're here to help!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

My experience yesterday was amazing. I loved the personal concern and attention to detail the representative showed. I’m currently at work and wrote the rep's name down at home. She was outstanding! She allowed me to explain my concerns and gave information that I may not have known before.

Byte response

Hi Gregory, thank you so much for this amazing review! Here at Byte we want to make the experience an easy and smooth process while providing optimal support to every customer. We are so excited for you, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Kearsti ** (butler) was the customer service representative helping me with my impressions. She has gone above and beyond to please me and has been extremely patient and accommodating. Best customer service I’ve received. Her helpful and cheerful character is definitely telling even through texts.

Byte response

Thank you so much for the kind review, Nutsa! Kearsti is the best! If any questions come up down the road, don't hesitate to reach out, we're here to help!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I’ve only completed the first step of this process but I had to leave a review. The customer service has been phenomenal! Gracie was super helpful! Gracie’s response time was so quick and she was just very easy to work with!

Byte response

Thank you so much for the kind review, Morgan! We're so thrilled for you and we agree--Gracie is the best! If any questions come up down the line, please let us know; we're here to help!

Byte Company Information