4.6/5 (1455 ratings)

About Byte

Byte makes clear plastic aligners to help customers straighten their teeth with no office visits. Certified dentists and orthodontists design treatment plans and monitor progress remotely. Patients see results in an average of two to six months. Byte offers financing options with 100% approval for both its all-day and nighttime-only aligners. Order an impression kit risk-free; if you aren’t a good candidate, Byte refunds the price.

Pros

• Short treatment plans
  • 100% approval for financing
  • Nighttime-only option
  • Lifetime guarantee

Cons

• Not everyone is a candidate
  • Nighttime aligners are pricier

Bottom Line

Byte's costs are on the higher end, but the company approves 100% of applicants for financing. Treatment times are short, and the company guarantees results for life.

Top Byte Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Byte is amazing!!!! From day one, they have always kept in touch and they make the process super easy. I would recommend this to anybody who doesn’t want traditional braces and wa...

Verified

BYTE is an amazing company and everyone should use them! They are friendly, professional, and thorough! If you are trying to decide what invisible aligners to go with make sure yo...

Byte products

What is Byte?

Byte is an invisible braces company that helps correct mild to moderate teeth alignment issues, including crowding, spacing and rotation. Customers take at-home impressions, and Byte’s dentists and orthodontists prescribe and monitor a customized treatment plan — according to Byte's website, the average treatment plan is four to six months.

Byte has two plans: all-day aligners, which need to be worn 22 hours a day, and nighttime-only aligners, which have to be worn continuously for 10-plus hours daily. Each treatment plan comes with the HyperByte device, a high-frequency vibration device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day with aligners) and ease discomfort associated with the treatment.

How much does Byte cost?

Byte all-day aligners cost $1,895, and night-only aligners cost $2,295. The price includes a customized treatment plan with a 3D preview of your straightened teeth, aligners, a bottle of BrightByte teeth whitener, the HyperByte device and a first set of retainers. The Byte impression kit costs $29.95 when you use a promo code; the money is refunded if doctors determine you aren’t a good candidate for treatment.

Byte also offers financing options. The BytePay payment plan is approved for 100% of customers and comes with the Byte Protection Plan, which includes five years of retainers and replacement of any lost or stolen retainers. BytePay is $82 a month for 29 months ($349 down payment) for the all-day aligners and $99 per month for 29 months ($449 down payment) for nighttime-only aligners. Other financing plans are available. Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurance companies; it does accept payments from health savings accounts (HSAs) and flexible spending accounts (FSAs).

• Byte impression kit: $29.95
  • Byte aligners (upfront cost): $1,895 (all-day) or $2,295 (night-only)
  • Byte aligners with BytePay financing: $82/month (all-day) or $99/month (night-only) with down payment (includes ByteProtection Plan)
  • Byte retainers: $129 (first set free)

Byte offers discounts to former and active military and college and graduate students.

How does Byte work?

1. Complete the at-home impression kit
Byte sends you an impression kit with free shipping. The kit includes trays, molding putty, gloves and a stretcher for your mouth. The kit gives you two chances to do top and bottom impressions. If you need help, you can call Byte. Once you’re finished, return the impressions using the provided box and prepaid shipping label.
2. Await evaluation
Dentists and orthodontists review your impressions to determine if you are a candidate for Byte aligners. If Byte decides you aren’t, it refunds the cost of the impression kit. If you are a suitable candidate, Byte creates a 3D model of your teeth after treatment and designs a personalized treatment plan.
3. Select plan
Once your treatment plan is approved, select the plan that is most convenient for you: all day or all night. Each plan comes with the HyperByte device, BrightByte whitener and a set of free retainers (post-treatment plan).
  • Personal aligners: You receive a set of clear plastic aligners based on your treatment plan. Aligners are BPA-free and tear-resistant.
  • HyperByte device: HyperByte is Byte’s high-frequency vibration (HFV) device that may help reduce treatment time (when used five minutes a day) and ease discomfort caused by the aligners.
  • BrightByte: Use BrightByte foam to whiten your teeth, freshen your breath and clean your aligners. The first bottle is complimentary; additional single bottles cost $30.
4. Complete treatment plan
Byte all-day aligners should be worn 22 hours a day, while nighttime aligners require 10 hours of continuous wear each night. Aligners should only be removed for eating and drinking. The HyperByte device should be used for five minutes each day during treatment. Aligners are switched weekly.

Byte users have access to Byte customer service seven days per week. Progress is monitored with monthly check-ins.

5. Byte smile is guaranteed for life
The Byte for Life Guarantee covers additional treatment if your teeth move out of alignment after treatment. To qualify, you must confirm at least once per year that you are wearing the retainers as directed. Byte provides your first set of retainers with your treatment plan.

Byte FAQ

Does Byte take insurance?
Byte doesn’t accept direct payment from insurers, but it can help you figure out if you have coverage and provide the forms you need to file a claim. Visit the company's website to see if you qualify.
How much does Byte cost with insurance?
It depends on your particular insurance plan. This reduces the cost of all-day aligners to under $1,000. If you send Byte your insurance details, it can tell you if you have coverage and how much the insurer will pay.
How long does Byte take?
Each treatment is different, but the typical Byte treatment plan takes between four and six months, according to the company's claims about initial treatment plans.
How old do you have to be to use Byte?
Byte treats clients 12 and older who have all of their adult teeth. Clients younger than 18 need parental consent.
Who owns Byte?
Byte is owned by Dentsply Sirona, a dental products manufacturer based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Dentsply Sirona acquired Byte at the end of 2020.
Does Byte fix overbite?
Eligibility for Byte treatment is determined on a case-by-case basis. Byte may be able to correct an overbite. The best way to determine if Byte aligners can help is to order an impression kit and send it back to Byte. If you aren’t a candidate, the company refunds the price.
Does Byte hurt?
You may experience some soreness the first few days after starting a new aligner.
How long does Byte take to ship?
Once your treatment plan is approved, Byte ships out your aligners. It takes a few weeks to receive the aligners after treatment is approved.

Is Byte safe?

Byte is an effective and affordable way to straighten teeth at home. Each customized treatment plan is reviewed by Byte's network of licensed dentists and orthodontists before the company ships any aligners.

Byte customers have access to Byte's customer service care team seven days a week to ask questions and for support. Progress is monitored with with monthly check-ins. If you have further questions about Byte’s safety, we recommend calling the company. When you’re ready, order a risk-free impression kit to find out if you are a candidate for treatment.

Byte Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Byte?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I have always been embarrassed by the gap between my two front teeth. I used to have braces as a teenager and my teeth were perfect but I broke one of the front ones when I was 20 and was left with a pretty big gap after my tooth was fixed. Then pregnancy and years of not taking care of my teeth made them even worse. I started by having my teeth repaired with bonding but the gap was still there and I hated it. My dentist said I could do Invisalign but the price was just too much for me. I then decided to look into cheaper solutions. I knew I didn't want to do SDC because I had heard bad reviews and I initially signed up for an impression kit from another company.

While I was waiting for my impressions to be reviewed, I saw ads for Byte and decided to look into it. Straight away I liked the night option. I love to drink coffee and tea and I couldn't myself not drinking them during the day. I also would have found it difficult to brush my teeth at lunch since I'm a teacher and have to eat my students and can't leave them by themselves even for a few minutes.

I ordered the impression kit and received it very quickly. Everything was very well explain and the directions were easy to follow. I took the photos and my impressions and sent them back. Within a few days I had a treatment plan laid out with. some images showing the progress week after week and how my teeth would look in the end. I still had to decide between day and night and sent texts back and forth to my customer service assistant who was very helpful and responded very quickly to all my questions. I decided to go for the night option despite it being a little more expensive because it seemed more convenient to me. I was able to set up a payment plan and received my aligners shortly after.

The box that contains the aligners is very sturdy and each aligner is individually packed. There is also some BrightByte (foam that cleans the aligners and whitens the teeth) and an HyperByte (vibrating instrument that helps put the aligners in place correctly). The instructions are very clear: the aligners need to be worn for at least 10 hours and the HyperByte needs to be used for a minimum of 10 minutes everyday. I started using the aligners the day I received them, at first they were a little uncomfortable but the HyperByte helps putting them in place properly and they don't really hurt.

I am now a few months into my treatment and I can already see the difference. I like that the Byte Team reaches out regularly and gives me personalized advice. For example, they told me to go back to previous bottom aligners since my bottom teeth were not where they were supposed to be. Overall I feel I made the right choice by choosing Byte and I can't wait to see the final result!

Byte response

This is incredible! We appreciate you submitting such a detailed review. It is important for us to provide our customers with a stress-free, smooth journey to a new smile! We are so happy to hear about your experience so far. Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!

Get buying tips about Invisible Braces delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I'm about halfway through my Byte (at night) treatment plan, with 3 and a half more months to go. The process of getting signed up, receiving the molding kit, and taking the molds was very quick and smooth for me. I was very careful to follow directions when taking the molds, since otherwise that could result in issues with the treatment plan and fit of aligners. My plan has 29 top aligners and 16 bottom aligners. The top teeth have been progressing very smoothly with no fit issues. I'm currently on #16. The bottom aligners did have some fit issues related to an area of crowding with one stubborn slanted tooth (one of the main reasons I wanted to do Byte in the first place).

On aligner #9 I realized that there was an air gap between that tooth and the aligner, and after sending photos to Byte customer service, they asked me to send photos with previous sets of aligners on, and I ended up reverting back to #7. Since then, I've been wearing bottom aligners on a different schedule (10 nights per aligner) compared with the top (7 nights per aligner). The Hyperbyte tool helps, but I found that purchasing and using 'aligner chewies' on Amazon - although not specifically recommended by Byte - helped more in my case (along with hyperbyte). The shape and rigidity of the hyperbyte didn't allow it to help with the aligner fit in an area with a slanted, crowded tooth, like aligner chewies could. I've been using them both. It was a bit of trial and error on my part.

It's important to ensure that your teeth are tracking with aligners (with no major air gaps) before you switch to the next week's set. One minor complaint is that I reached out to Byte the night I switched to aligner #13 on the top (which is what they said to do), so that they can then mail you your second aligner set (#16 onward; they only send the first 15 at first). They initially said they could not send me the second aligner set until I was up to week 13 on the bottom too. This didn't make any sense -- due to reverting back in time, and due to the longer schedule (10 night/aligner) on the bottom, I wouldn't be caught up on the bottom for about 2 months. Meanwhile, I only had 16 aligners total in my treatment plan on the bottom (there was only one more to send) and 29 on the top.

It took a few rounds of emails for me to get them to agree to send the second round of aligners, and even then, I still didn't get them until one week after I should have started week #16 on the top (so my treatment plan was delayed a week). Not a huge deal -- and overall I am satisfied. The lower cost (compared with Invisalign), the flexibility to not have appointments, the moderately responsive customer service (usually takes 2-3 days to hear back, sometimes longer), and results I've seen so far (my teeth are actually getting straighter!) would make me recommend Byte.

I recommend the Byte at night product even though it will make the treatment plan longer and is slightly more expensive. It is unrealistic to actually wear the aligner all day every day (except while eating), although I know some people manage. Drinking sparkling water, coffee, snacking, going out to eat, etc. is all so much more complicated if you have to wear it all day. I've found that my teeth have been moving mainly on track, even though I have only been wearing them at night.

Byte response

Thank you for your feedback, Matthew. We are happy to hear that overall your experience has been positive. Our team is always standing by for support to get our customer's smiles back on track. If you ever have any questions we are just an email, phone call, or text away :)

Original review: June 5, 2021

3 weeks in. First set of trays did not fit. Had to go through some hurdles to get a second set of trays but they seem to be working very well. First set was much too tight. Now that I have the comparison, it feel like maybe it was starting off at an accelerated week and not the first week, but that is speculation. Few things, I had to learn on my own, online such as what haloing is and that you may have to wear the trays longer than the estimated treatment plan. So far however I'm not expecting that I don't have any haloing with the second set of trays. First week did not fit over my molars so I did have to clip them and the second set as well, but the third set of trays I haven't had to do that, so I think there's progress being made.

Everyone that I have spoken to on the phone has been very kind and supportive. They have not rushed me. They have taken the time to listen to my concerns and questions. They're all very friendly. Every once in a while I do hear a "script", they'll come out telling me to file down the sides to clip it over and over at any mention of discomfort. They have information to provide me and help me do that so, I think that's a little bit route but overall an A+ for customer service. Also if I do end up having to do this longer, they are committed to providing treatment until completion.

I had dental insurance to cover $2,000 for Invisalign (4K total) but it wouldn't have covered the $500 for retainers and the fact that this plan gives you 5 years worth of retainers and cost a slightly less than it would have cost me with my dental insurance, was a good selling point. That in the shorter time frame to complete. I would strongly recommend this product in this company so far in my experience.

Byte response

Hi Alexandra- thank you for taking the time to share this feedback and in depth overview of your experience thus far. We appreciate any and all feedback and hope to improve your experience moving forward! We know it can be frustrating when your aligners do not fit well, but we are happy to hear that you were able to adjust the aligners to fit well! Our team is here to support you every step of the way so please do not hesitate to reach out. We want to make sure you are on track to get the smile of your dreams :)

Original review: March 24, 2021

When I first began looking into at -home aligners, I was comparing Byte and Smile Care Direct. After doing some research, I went with Byte because everyone bragged on their customer service/support. I was a little nervous about starting this since you do not meet with an orthodontist on occasion; however, they are very attentive. They have emailed me throughout my course of treatment and have me upload pictures every few weeks when switching aligners.

I am noticing a huge change since Week 1 with Byte. I take pictures before switching out my aligners and I compared week 1 to week 8 and can see a major difference! I was always insecure about my smile because I had so much crowding. Now with just the small time of 8 weeks, I am much more confident in my smile. I can't wait to see my smile when my treatment is complete.

The aligners are very easy to clean and are SO convenient. At first, it was hard to talk with them, after about 2 weeks, I was back to speaking normally. Now my family and friends say they can't even tell I have them on. I was also surprised by how clear the aligners are. They are not noticeable/visible when you smile. They are easy to pop on and take out.

Lastly, The Hyper Byte device is AMAZING. As I mentioned before, week one was probably the most painful. I had taken Tylenol to manage the pain some and it worked but I used the Hyper Byte treatment for about 15 minutes and the pain subsided. I now use Hyper Byte 20 minutes a night because how well it helps my teeth fit into the aligners. They also send you a bottle of Bright Byte along with your aligners. This stuff is awesome! I use the Bright Byte aligner foam along with Colgate Optic White and my teeth are now visibly white! I do recommend this company. If you are nervous, give them a try. If you have the same experience as I have (which I am sure you will), you will not regret it.

Byte response

This is amazing! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience so far. We are so happy to hear that as you have been taking pictures of your teeth each week, you have been seeing those changes! We can't wait to get you to that last step, and we hope you'll share pics of your results with us!

Original review: March 18, 2021

I have to say the whole process has been way easier than it would've been had I gone to a dentist. Customer service is always really helpful when I reach out to them, and although my dental insurance won't pay for mail orthodontics, they did look into it for me and let me know right away. I haven't heard much from my Byte Advisor except when I put a down payment on the aligners. I was supposed to hear back once I received them but I never did. So I don't really see the point of having one that you can text.

As far as the aligners go they are uncomfortable at the beginning of each week, as you would expect, but if you follow the directions they feel fine by the end. I do think the Hyperbyte works well to help with discomfort and moving the teeth. I feel like I don't notice a huge difference in my smile until I compare side by side photos, but I definitely notice a difference in the way my teeth fit together and that one tooth that was the most out of place is not as far back as it used to be when I have the aligners off.

I do feel like the routine combined with the brightbyte, and (free) snow whitening system have done really well to start whitening my teeth and give me better oral health in general. My fiance now complains that when he smiles next to me I make his teeth look bad with my pretty smile! And I'm only halfway through my treatment! Over all I have recommended Byte to many people so far, and will continue to do so as long as my smile is looking beautiful! I'm excited to get married next summer because my smile is no longer crooked! (Photos won't upload for whatever reason).

Byte response

Hi Kathryn, we appreciate you reviewing your experience so far. We are happy to hear that our customer care team has taken such great care of you. Once you have purchased your aligners you are transitioned from your Byte Advisor to a customer care specialist, they will normally reach out via email. If you every have any questions you can call, text, or email in. Our customer care team is always standing by for support!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

So far everything with Byte has been simple and straightforward. I have been getting quick responses to any questions I have and there is only minimal discomfort with each new week. My only feedback would be about the case provided to hold the aligners when eating. It is very difficult to open and the aligners barely fit.

Byte response

Hello Michelle! Thank you for your review! We understand some things can pop out during treatment but we have an amazing Customer Care team standing by for support.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I cannot tell you how extremely impressive that I think your company is. I am new to your product, but have continued to be wowed since I signed up for the impression kit. I love the constant communication in various media (email & text) as well as the personalized touch...It's not mass responses being sent out! Let's talk about packaging because I love yours! From the colors to the simplicity to the quality, all of it is 100% fabulous! The simplistic video on "how to" upon receiving the impression kit made it SUPER easy to complete. The encouragement from "Nick" to get the impression kit completed, so that he could schedule mail pickup was awesome because I can be somewhat of a procrastinator. I just received my aligners today while home on my lunch break and I cannot wait to get home tonight and begin my road to straighter teeth.

Keep up the great work! Also, I believe it was a deal offered in "Daily Skimm" to Skimmers that sparked my interest and I clicked. From that point on, it was all Byte, user friendly mobile app and website was my first impression and I got a good vibe. Then, the communication second touchpoint was equally good vibes and it just went on from there. Have a fantastic day and I will tell EVERYONE that I know about Byte and all of this company's awesomeness.

Kindest Regards,

Misty **

Byte response

Hi Misty! This is amazing to hear :) From start to finish our team is here to guide our customers through each step and make sure this process is as easy and stress-free as possible! Thanks for the incredible review!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Ten. Extremely courteous customer service. Every time I have called I have had great customer service. They always call back very quickly and no matter who I talk to they are very courteous. Thank you very much for such pleasant service. Is if it was based on a one to ten it would be a ten.

Byte response

Hi Sandra!Every step of the way, our Byte team is here to help! Please don't hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. Our team is standing by to support :)

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I must say I am in love with my results so far. It’s only been almost one week in and I already see a difference. I would definitely recommend to those looking to better their smile. I can’t wait to see what the final results will look like.

Byte response

Hello Marissa, thank you for your review! Byte is happy to provide the path towards dream smiles!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I've been considering fixing my smile for about 10 years. When I turned 50, I finally went for it. I'm so glad I have! It's been a great experience so far. I'm about 2 months in to the process. Byte has been highly responsive and communicative.

Byte response

This is YOUR time! We are so thrilled for you, Beth. If you ever have any questions, we are here to help!

Byte Company Information