2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.26/5

Zounds Hearing was established by the father of a hearing impaired child who vowed to bring a more reliable hearing aid to those with mild, moderate, or severe hearing complications.

ZOUNDS uses technology that effectively enhances sound quality through various types of phones and automotive communication systems to provide a better-quality hearing experience to those in need. We pride ourselves in offering our customers an affordable selection of high-performance hearing aids and devices that they can trust. Choose Zounds as your hearing aid solution.

BOTTOM LINE

Zounds offers a wide variety of hearing aids at affordable rates. Although physical locations are limited, they're still a great choice, especially for those with profound hearing loss.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Remote control with each hearing aid
  • Wider selection than most hearing aids brands

CONS

• Not enough locations for one-on-one help

Top Zounds Hearing Aids Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zounds Hearing Aids?

My mother has hearing loss and has had Zounds for six years now. The hearing aids have changed her life ... One of the top things that we really liked about the hearing aids is that you just put them in the cradle every night to recharge them. They also had a really good, fair price.

The hearing aids are working really well. One of the things I hated about hearing aids that I had tried before were the batteries. But the hearing aids that I have now are rechargeable so I don't have to change its batteries. I would recommend Zounds to anybody who wants hearing aids.

Zounds hearing aids

Hearing aids by Zounds stand out most of all because of their affordability. Zounds offers a 30-day trial for their hearing aids — if you are unsatisfied with your hearing aid in that time, you can return it for your money back. Each Zounds hearing aid also comes with a 3-year protection plan.

Zounds hearing aids come with remote controls, so changing the settings is easy. A large number of Zounds hearing aids are rechargeable and come with a charging station. Zounds is a fairly new name in the hearing aid industry, so it might be harder to find a Zounds location near you.

Zounds hearing aid models

• Vizara: The Vizara is a receiver-in-canal model. Vizara has 16 channels and Noise Cancellation2 technology for clearer and more focused hearing in everyday environments.
    • Riazo: Although the Riazo may be simple, it’s one of the cheapest hearing aids available. It has entry-level pricing and only four channels, however, it is not rechargeable and does not come with a remote control or docking station. A Zounds associate will program this model, and you’ll have to go back to them to have it adjusted.
    • Trezio: Trezio can offer up to 32 channels. The Trezio is rechargeable and has an incredible 24-hour charge. The charging dock can fit into any USB port.
    • Arenz: The Arenz can provide up to 32 programmable channels. Dual microphones and Noise Cancellation3 are other prominent features. WaveForm technology helps lessen the negative effects of tinnitus.
    • Prezia: The Prezia has dual microphones for better sound quality. The ZActiveLife feature helps reduce noise from wind. Up to 32 channels are available on the Prezia.
    • Imprezo: Four of the Imprezo’s programs include Quiet mode, Music mode, Party mode and Dining mode. The Imprezo is rechargeable for up to 20 hours after resting in the charger for 8 hours.
    • Clareza: The rechargeable Clareza model also has four programs - Quiet, Music, Party and Dining. The Clareza charge lasts for 16 hours.
    • Potenz: You’ll get the four programs mentioned above in the Potenz model as well - Quiet, Music, Party and Dining. The Potenz is rechargeable and can last for 18 hours on an 8-hour charge.
    • Enza: The Enza is available in 3 different styles: completely-in-canal, in-the-canal or in-the-ear styles. These hearing aids have traditional batteries rather than rechargeable ones like many other Zounds hearing aids.
    ModelHearing levelBatteryStyle / Best features
    ClarezaModerate to severeRechargeableNoise Cancellation2 technology
    PotenzSevere to profoundRechargeable18 hours on one charge
    EnzaModerate to severeNon-rechargeableAvailable in 3 styles

Zounds hearing aid prices

The Zounds hearing center nearest you will have the most accurate list of prices for Zounds hearing aids. You can also contact Zounds through their website to find more information on Zounds hearing aid cost. Financing is available.

Zounds does not list prices for each of their hearing aids on their website, so we don’t have every Zounds hearing aid cost on the table below. Most of Zounds’ hearing aids fall in the range below, between $499 and $999.

ModelTechnology levelPrice
    RiazoBasic$499 per hearing aid
    PreziaIntermediate$799 per hearing aid
    VizaraAdvanced$999 per hearing aid

How to buy Zounds hearing aids

To buy a Zounds hearing aid, you can either visit a Zounds location near you or shop online at Zounds’ website. Zounds has a location finder on their website so you can find the Zounds locations closest to you. Before you buy a hearing aid, you will need to take a hearing test with an audiologist or certified ENT doctor. Zounds also offers a free hearing test. Even if you decide not to buy a Zounds hearing aid, they will not charge you for the hearing test.

Do we recommend Zounds hearing aids?

We recommend Zounds for their affordable and quality hearing aids. We wish they had more locations nationwide, but their free hearing tests and wide array of hearing aids make them a good option for frugal spenders who still want a hearing aid with the latest technology.

Zounds Hearing Aids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zounds Hearing Aids?

Original review: May 13, 2020

It cost a fortune for these hearing aids. Zounds stores are out of business and corporate does not respond. The batteries are dead and we have no recourse. All we need is a set of NiMH rechargeable 30H batteries. They are nowhere to be found anywhere on this planet. They have some nerve putting us in this position. People who mailed their hearing aids in for battery replacement got the shaft. The reviews are disgusting and we are left high and dry. We cannot afford to buy other hearing aids and my husband cannot hear anyone's conversations. It's just maddening.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I received my hearing aid in March 2019 and couldn’t be more satisfied. The hearing consultant made me feel comfortable and answered all my questions. She went over all the information on how to use the different settings and made sure it was a good fit.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Getting ready to send in for a second time since April. When I purchased them, I was assured that I could service them locally. How can you service hearing aids without checking the customer. They just aren't working right. Would gladly take a refund. Am not happy.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I'm very disappointed with my Zounds hearing aid. I cannot hear real good with them. The girl said, “Well, you can hear 100% like you were if they were normal.” But I have so many problems with it. I tried to call that 800 number several times, and couldn't get through to them. The tip fell out of my earplug so I called last week, and they were very, very busy. I gotta wait a call tomorrow for an appointment.

Another thing, I had a cheap pair. But I bought the one for $5,000. This was the best one they had at the time. Then, Zounds came out with "if you turn those in and get the new ones, it'll cost you $2,000 more." I went for the $2,000. So I got $7,000 worth of hearing aids in my ear, and I told my husband I should have gone to another place. I'm very disappointed. I can't hear every word that is said. We were at our daughter's house yesterday, and I had the original hearing aids. I miss a lot of the conversation. I'm not too happy. If the people there were not so nice as they are, I would have gone to Channel 3 and complained. But these people are so nice and friendly.

Original review: May 11, 2019

My hearing was about 40% gone. We live right down the street from Zounds' location next to a Safeway store that we frequent. The people at Zounds' were very informative. The rep whom I worked with did a marvelous job at explaining everything. He helped me pick out the right pair of hearing aids. I got the ones that are rechargeable which were on sale for 1,000 bucks apiece. I was extremely happy with what he did.

The price was attractive. Previously, I had gone to another place and they wanted $5,000 for two hearing aids. That was extremely more than what I wanted to spend. According to my rep at Zounds, the model of hearing aid I got would work very well for my hearing loss with the way it is. Thus far, I've been very happy with them. He fitted me very well with the hearing aids. Overall, my experience with Zounds has been very good.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My Zounds Hearing Aids is working okay. It’s dependable and helpful. Before, my hearing loss was very poor. I can enjoy life more now that I can hear better. The conversations are clearer. However, it would be helpful if they lower the cost of it. It's a little high.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Though I could hear fine, my hearing was be muffled when I'm with my grandchildren. I would hear their voices but it wasn't clear. Our family doctor said that Zounds makes all the parts for other hearing aids and he recommended them. So, I went with Zounds and got the model with the remote. The rep whom I worked with tried to explain everything to me. She was very nice and helped with testing and fitting my hearing aid. However, I have some trouble with it. I get irritated by it. The wire over my ear bothers me at times. Also, the hearing aids are expensive. Despite those issues, I love my Zounds hearing aids.

Original review: April 26, 2019

My hearing loss in both ears was getting worse and I liked that Zounds hearing aids are rechargeable. I like the idea that I would put them on either on my ears or on the charger. The reps were very helpful and I’m very pleased with the service. I got the Torza model which they thought would be the best one for me and my hearing is a lot better now. The experience has been very pleasant.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I'm a type 1 diabetic and I have nerve damage in a lot of different parts of my body. My ears happened to be one of those and I've been dealing with the hearing issues for at least 20 years now. A friend of mine had very good luck with the Zounds hearing aids. She is 91 and I trust her, and she would have told me if she had problems with them. However, the last two or three years that I've worked with Zounds has been very confusing. They were at one location and a woman helped me. She was very knowledgeable and she did a good job of fitting my hearing aids. I went back to get them rechecked but she had been fired. They had a new young man and the impression he left me was I was bothering him and that he got other things to do. He was in a hurry and he did not spend enough time with me to adjust my hearing aids, and I really felt that.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield that covers hearing aids for me every three years and I pay a portion of that. I filed the insurance and I received notice that Zounds was paid, then I paid the remainder of it. Three years later, I received a Blue Cross Blue Shield bill from whoever who took over for Zounds in the office and I was being charged $4,000 because I had no record of the fact that my hearing aids have been paid for, nor did they have record of the check that I have written to them, although I had the record of the check that was written to them. It was poor service and I was so frustrated with the whole situation. It was also at that time that I found that Zounds had moved, but there had been no notification to me that in order to get service on my Zounds, I had to go to a different office. It was very messy.

My hearing continues to get worse. I lead classes or I try to go to seminars, but I cannot understand half of what is said. I had to make up what I was supposed to be hearing. The hearing aid has something to do with it. Even when I first got them, I had difficulty when I was teaching in class and I would answer inappropriately because I had not heard the question correctly. I have a new set now and it is my second set of Zounds. The new man over there has attempted to be very kind to me, but I don't feel he is very knowledgeable. He knows how to run a computer and if I tell him that I can hear something, he knows how to set it but he is not an audiologist. I have gone to an audiologist several times before with my hearing loss and they were more knowledgeable.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have partial hearing loss. Zounds had a good reputation back east in Pennsylvania and I lived in an over 55 community where a number of people who had Zounds recommended them to me. I also liked their lifetime warranty, so I decided to purchase from them. Their staff was very nice and qualified. Everything about the testing process was fine, too. The hearing aid that I got has the little pea pod that goes over the ear and the little clear plastic pipe that goes into the ear with a tube on it. It's easy to use and I got used to it. It also seems to be doing what it's designed to do.

Zounds Hearing Aids author review by Shelley Webb

Zounds offers nine products with varying technology levels to serve customers with all levels of hearing loss. Financing is available. Its basic hearing aids start at just $499. Locations across the United States are limited in number.

• Products: Nine hearing aid models are available, each with a remote control to easily change the volume and other settings. Products are available in behind-the-ear, completely-in-canal, in-the-canal and in-the-ear configurations.

• Features: Many of this company’s hearing aids are rechargeable, and all come with multiple channels to adjust hearing aid settings. Tinnitus WaveForm technology is available in some styles for tinnitus relief. Zounds rechargeable batteries last up to 24 hours, and its products come with patented noise cancellation technology.

• Trial and warranty: Try out any Zounds hearing aid for 30 days. Each hearing aid comes with a three-year protection plan.

• Locations: Zounds has a limited number of physical locations across the United States. Check its website for a location near you.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Zounds Hearing Aids Company Information