Zounds Hearing Aids

I cannot say enough about the Zounds product and office in Seal Beach, CA. I am former military and retired law enforcement. After dealing with impaired hearing for many years, I decided to get hearing aids. Randy and John were extremely helpful and professional through the process of the hearing test, hearing aid type/style selection and follow up office visits. I decided on the Enza model because I still train military/law enforcement personnel in hand to hand combat/defensive tactics and firearms training. I have never had them fall out or malfunction. On a side note, the Zounds built in shock sound suppression is extremely effective. I can stand on firing line and use power tools without the use of ear protection. Great product and great shop.

Hello Mrs. Pike.

We are so happy to hear that you are benefiting from your Zounds hearing aids. Thank you for taking the time to comment about our outstanding staff members. All are dedicated to providing exemplary customer service and we really appreciate them!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I chose Zounds Hearing Aids because of the combination of the service we received and the price which was a bit less expensive than the other hearing aids. One of the things is that after doing what we thought was a very thorough checking of our hearing, she let us wear this thing for about two weeks, to give them a try and that was very helpful. She also gave us very careful hearing tests. I went with the most expensive model that goes behind my ear. It improved my hearing and we've been very pleased with the service we've been given whenever we have a problem. I'd say I'm happy with my Zounds hearing aids. I'd like to make a suggestion, that there be more Zounds offices that are a little closer to home. When we first bought our Zounds Hearing Aids, the office was only about five minutes away and now we have to travel about 20 minutes to get service.

Mr. Klofpfer,

Thank you so much for your comments. Within our company we say that we are not selling hearing aids, we are providing the opportunity for those with hearing loss to connect with loved ones. It is especially heartwarming and gratifying to hear about experiences with grandchildren. It is great to hear that you are enjoying the convenience of your rechargeable aids as well. Thank you also for the kind words for our staff.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Zounds Hearing is a lot better compared to my previous hearing aids. I’m retired but it helps me a lot. I put them on and I can hear the different sounds and music, which my old one couldn’t do. Now, I can hear all my grandsons and know when there's people around me. Also, it's not uncomfortable at all. I can use the remote if I have to and I can plug it and let it charge overnight and don't have to replace the batteries. Their staff treat me great, answer questions, and do what they can to help. Also, the test they gave me was good.

Mr. Barton,
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are really happy that you are happy with your hearing aids and that you are benefiting from them. we can assure you that no restocking fee would have been assessed if you had returned the hearing aids within the 30 days. The franchisee who owns the location you purchased your aids from is very ethical.

Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I got the one with the foam, remote, charger and of course with the other accessories and it’s just a matter of getting those fit and everything. The experience was fine and I'm happy with those. They don't bother my ears. On the outside, I hear more and of course inside, the TV is a little lower. It has helped and it’s easy to use and comfortable.

The shop was fine but I think I could have been taken advantage of fairly easy if I had not paid attention. It's not illegal but maybe a little unethical as far as the ad was that you can try them for 30 days. When I went with them, the paper that I signed said they want a 30% charge to restock it if I didn't want it. The ad said that it was all completely free for 30 days and prior to that even it was kind of the same scenario. All of your forms to sign, those parts were all blank and they could write anything they wanted and I didn't particularly like that. The people during the test, everything was fine there.

Hi Mrs. Bargman,

Voices vary a great deal in terms of pitch and tone. For instance, most people with hearing loss can hear a man's voice much easier than that of a woman or child. This is because of where these are found on the sound spectrum and where hearing loss is generally greatest. Please suggest that your husband visit the hearing center and have his programming adjusted to compensate for this. Fine tuning will make all the difference!

Original review: May 30, 2017

My husband has been using Zounds Hearing Aids for about six months. He went to Zounds in Seal Beach to have them fit it and test the hearing aid as he claims that he can hear some people on the phone and others not. Sometimes he doesn't have it in right. So, he has got to change it. Hearing over the phone was the only problem he has.

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for being a loyal Zounds Hearing customer! We are pleased that you are benefiting from the rechargeable feature - it is one of our areas of excellence and our customers find it very convenient. The Seal Beach team is outstanding and we appreciate your compliments to them.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Zounds was very helpful in helping me select the aid that would benefit me the most. They provide 3 month follow ups with yearly evaluations to reprogram my hearing aid as needed. Their office is near me and is convenient if I have any problem (which has been rare), which was taken care of the same day. I like the rechargeable feature; I just put it in the charging station each night and everything is set for the next day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zounds Hearing Aids?

Hello Paul,

We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your Clareza aids. The Staff at the Seal Beach office are indeed outstanding!

Thank you!

Original review: May 24, 2017

Zounds is a great product at a great price. I've had my Clareza units for a little over a year now. I've had no problems, and it's made a WORLD of difference. Excellent quality and highly reliable. Also: the staff at the Seal Beach office are extremely friendly and helpful. Highly recommended!

I had a great experience with Zounds and I’ve recommended it to several people. I was needing a new hearing aid so I tried Zounds and I called them, made an appointment, and had it done. I got the one they recommended for me and I like its price as well as that I don’t have to buy batteries anymore.

Factual basis uncertain

Some few weeks ago, I mailed my broken RIAZO hearing aid to Attn: Service at company address. I then ask for a repair to the case which would fix the part which holds the link in place. The aid and the link were in working order, the link wouldn’t stay connected to the aid. Shauna called and upsold me a complete new unit at an unbeatable discount. Order #**. What I didn’t receive was the promised rechargeable batteries or the return of THE RETURN OF MY ORIGINAL HEARING AID! Have left SEVERAL phone messages and emails for weeks with no reply. Please, this is my property and I want it back.

I have had another hearing aids brand before that required replacing batteries. So, I was looking for one that had rechargeable batteries and Zounds Hearing Aids was the first one that I found that looked good. The testing and fitting of the hearing aids were done professionally. Over the years that I've had them, I've had a lot of problems with it and in some cases, being replaced, but it's always been taken cared of satisfactorily. Nicole, down at Sun Lakes and Tempe, takes care of it. They seem to have quite a few failures in the quality and hopefully, they'll get that resolved. She told me the other day there was going to be a new model coming out and that we could look at it. Other than that, I'm happy when the hearing aids work.

Having begun to realize that my hearing was getting worse and worse and especially with some very loving and compassionate input from my wife, I started to do the research. The thing that drew me to Zounds Hearing was that, at that time, it was the only hearing aid business that was advertising rechargeable hearing aids. The devices themselves are the same across the board. Some have variations on the theme and types of devices, but in terms of the most utility out of the hearing aid, Zounds seemed to have the most interesting products.

I went to Zounds here in Austin when they had their office down here and essentially interviewed all of them. Nicole was running the office here in West Gate Boulevard. And she was a very experienced audiologist and certified technician. We talked a great deal about the mechanism, how it words, the service after sales, the warranties, all these stuff. And other family members were also in need of hearing aids or certainly willing to consider the possibility, so I decided to be the guinea pig for the family.

I started out with just one hearing aid because I'm left-handed. And all of my years of firing guns from the Vietnam war to 30 years in the FBI really did a job on my left ear. A year later, I transitioned into having two hearing aids. And that has been absolutely superb in terms of my hearing. I have been very, very satisfied. That’s not to say there haven’t been some speed bumps along the way. I had to have a battery replaced long before it should have been and some other adjustments made to the devices themselves. But no hearing aid is perfect, you're always going to have a bit of a problem with understanding keywords, sounds or different expressions. But nonetheless, I wear them from the moment that I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night.

So I try to recommend Zounds to my colleagues, former FBI agents and other people, who are either unhappy with their current hearing aids or looking for them. I also brought in my mother-in-law and my brother-in-law and they have Zounds hearing aids. Both of them have required some type of service after sales. And unfortunately, the Austin office was closed down. So we travel up to Georgetown for 45 minutes in order to go to the office there. Karen ** is an excellent audiologist, and she's very good with people. She does an excellent job with my 95-year old mother-in-law. She really works at doing the hearing exams to be as precise as possible and to dial that data into the device.

And my brother-in-law will drive up here from Livingston so he can get his hearing aids worked on. That’s a 4-hour car trip. Talk about brand loyalty. My brother-in-law is a real engineer type, very knowledgeable about electronics, mechanics and devices. He had been told that there was going to be a Zounds facility in Conroe and Kingsland, in the East Texas area. But they never came to be. Karen told us that they've got a technician on call there but that's not the same thing.

I like being able to go into the Georgetown office. Karen does the quick soup to nuts to make sure that the whole thing from top to bottom is working, identifies what the issue is, fixes it and then puts them back in and checks them on the computer to make sure that they're properly set to right decibel levels. You're not going to get that with some hired technician who's going to show up like a Fuller Brush salesman.

And Zounds still needs to continue to upgrade and work on the equipment itself. Some points of failure in the equipment can be improved to proactively prevent breakdowns. Example, there is a plastic clasp that takes the wire from the device into your ear and back to the battery. That is so fragile that very easy to break. My mother-in-law is in an assisted living center and someone who was making sure that her hearing aids were charged tried to force it in too hard and broke the connector, necessitating another trip up to Georgetown. When you take senior citizens who already have arthritis in their hands, you're cleaning and you put the hearing aid back on someone who may not have as much dexterity as I have is going to break it, and then it's got to be replaced. Then you've got the time span between when it breaks and when you can get it replaced. It's avoidable.

There’s really no excuse for a rechargeable battery to fail within a year. There’s enough knowledge about rechargeable batteries in this day and age that they need to put some time and effort into utilizing a type you can have trust and confidence in, to last two, three years. Eventually it will lose its capacity to hold the charge, but these rechargeable things is the biggest draw that Zounds has going for, and they really need to be showcasing that in their marketing. Other hearing aid manufacturers using those little teeny tiny replaceable batteries are ridiculous. My mother-in-law started out with those and literally drove the family crazy because they weren’t any good longer than seven days max.

Their direct marketing needs to be to potential consumers who will, without a doubt, need hearing aids if they don't already. That’s the law enforcement community and the military. They could also design a marketing campaign to focus on that. And determine that TRICARE, the military insurance will pay for some, if not all, of the hearing aid devices. That would certainly be a positive factor to get men and women to come in and get these devices to be able to continue their careers. That’s one of the things that I would recommend Zounds in terms of their marketing and advertising.

I’m really surprised quite frankly that they couldn’t keep the Austin store operational. This is a big city. Theres a lot of seniors down here. Although I can see why they’re not doing advertising down here in Austin because then they would have to say their place is up in Georgetown. Right now Zounds has an office in Georgetown and two in Dallas and that’s it. And I'm concerned that the Georgetown might be in jeopardy because of client case load. I'm fairly certain that that's what affected the West Gate Boulevard office. They couldn't seem to get qualified staff to join their team. Initially, Nicole seemed to be very happy there but then all of a sudden she bailed and she went with a competitor.

If Zounds is going to be competitive in this dynamic market with all of us baby boomers gradually going deaf, there’s certainly a place for them. Their model started out with superb engineering for all the right reasons. They just need to revisit their engineering, marketing and staffing to help them be more competitive and open them up in more markets.

Right now, Karen's all we have here in Central Texas and she’s doing a superb job. I just hope that Zounds is intelligent enough to know that they've got a highly effective and efficient employee and that they need to do whatever is necessary to keep her and listen to her. Karen has a lot of very good ideas about what will help in the future. It's the individuals who become the face of the company, and their attention to detail, their effort into having the client leave with the device that works immediately and the follow up that you can get from them is what makes it.

I found Zounds Hearing Aids as good as any other. It seems to be going fine for me. However, I feel there's a problem with my hearing. I've tried the techniques needed when I'm in a crowd but it doesn't seem to make much difference when I do it. Also, while watching on the television, when the commercial comes, it's always clear but when I'm listening to a program, it isn't necessarily so. The pitch is different and it's not as distinct so there are things I miss because of it.

I've had a hearing problem since I was seven but only had hearing aids since 2006. When I first started getting hearing aids, I did use Miracle Ear but the people that I dealt with moved and so I went online and I liked Zounds Hearing Aids. Their hearing aids were made by a dad that had concerns about his daughter's hearing. So, I figured, they might be more in tune with the needs of people with hearing problems. The hearing test and fitting were simple and fast but the problem with most hearing tests is that you have to hear the beep and for those of us that don't hear, it becomes very uncomfortable because you start straining yourself hoping to hear a beep. I just wish there was some other way, some other sound maybe. But I understand the whole procedure. The staff, John, Revy and Carla, have all been nice and patient. l call if I have a problem and it’s like, “Come on down right now if you want.” They've actually been really great.

Zounds Hearing Aids

Thank you for sharing your experience at our Seal Beach location. We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with not only our technology and the value you received, but your customer experience. Best wishes to you and your husband!

Original review: April 24, 2017

This is the best ever place to get a hearing aid. We checked pricing and they are cheaper than the other name brands and their customer service is excellent and their hearing aids are state of the art. It took me a while to get my husband to agree to get a hearing aid but from the moment we walked into the office we felt comfortable and special. Their follow up is exceptional and we love knowing that they are close by and we can make an appointment anytime for any reason. Don't go anywhere else - this is the place.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: May 3, 2017

I want to thank Ms. Thomason of zounds Director of marketing and consumer affairs, for her prompt resolutions of my problem. She never hesitated to make it right, with a upgraded hearing aids, new warranty and retest and refit.

Zounds Hearing Aids

Hello Mr. Butikis. Thank you for making us aware of what was clearly a mistake in the fitting of your original aids. We stand behind our products and I am pleased to have been of assistance to you.

Original review: April 21, 2017

My husband got the Clareza-8 hearing aids. We were never told that the hearing aids were used. Until recently, my husband went back to the office for a checkup.

The person we dealt with the first time just said, "I am wearing the same exact hearing aid. That you are getting." If we were told that, that day I would have said USED!!! For the price we paid was close to 3,000 dollars. Plus we got a 3yr warranty. Your product was misrepresented as new!!! On all the brochures that we received not one word said used!

Zounds Hearing Aids

We are glad to hear that you had such a positive experience and that you are finding our rechargeable hearing aids so convenient. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I had a very good with Zounds Hearing. The instructors, are very knowledgeable and helpful aqnd I like Zounds better than its competitors because I don't have to use batteries. I found it inconvenient to change the batteries in the hearing aid. It seemed that the batteries were going out too frequently. So Zounds' use of the batteries in the hearing aid was a very good concept. The hearing aid model I have is comfortable. I have choices in different volumes of hearing in different places so it's very convenient. They gave me a hearing test with words and with sound and I was able to distinguish what they wanted. Some I did well, some I didn't do as well but the hearing aid has helped me to hear more clearly. So my hearing has improved.

Resolution In Progress

2 years ago I bought Zounds hearing aids and have had trouble with them since. The Raleigh office closed a year after I bought them, so I had to send my aids to corporate for service. Corporate has a bad attitude, and are not pleasant on the phone. They won't answer the phone, you have to leave a message and maybe they will call you back. My hearing aids generate feedback, the sound quality is low, and the stems break after about 6 months of use. I would not purchase from this company again.

My experience with Zounds Hearing Aids is extremely good. It fits my needs entirely. It’s the first time I’ve had an aid that works. It also has many channels and I can program these any way I like. I've also changed to another model of hearing aids which were fine. I've been at their place at King of Prussia and the rep there is very good as well.

I have 2 Zounds hearing aids and they perform well when they work. One broke and they wanted $500 to repair it so I replaced instead. The wire links from the aid to the microphone in the ear is very flimsy and I found out it is not covered under the warranty. Two of these links have broken in different ways, the edge that holds it in place broke off so I replaced it at $50. The wire pulled out of the replacement in 3 months and I have to buy it online since the stores in New England have all closed. They want to charge $10 shipping for this little, overpriced piece of junk. They refused to drop it in a USPS envelope. Also, the battery holder on the other aid broke but I can still use it at least. I wouldn't recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

$3000.00 hearing aids. As in 9 out of 10 of the reviews by dissatisfied customers on this site, two major complaints emerged: poor quality product and closed offices. Office in Charlotte NC closed and Mr. ** was not replaced; Asheville (2 hours away) -- the closest place with a technician. The final insult: no responses to calls, letters, or visits to the office or website in Tempe, AZ when email, phone numbers, and address are provided. Explanation?

I have had the hearing aids for 3 years and very satisfied with them. They closed all of the locations in Michigan with no notice. When I called to ask about service for hearing aids and remote they were clueless and would refer me to corporate by way of email, which would take a week for a reply. I asked about service on my remote and was initially told to buy new one. I was under impression THEY had to program it for me. So any suggestions on what to do? I was able to find a website that allowed me to program remote through my cell phone. But, for future service I am not going to travel to Arizona.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Since 2/13/2013 I have had nothing but trouble with my aids. The last time I took them in was 11/10/2016 when they said I needed a new aid for my right ear. I paid them $500 and $99 dollars for insurance. They still did not make my hearing better. In fact now they do not work at all. The green light is on but nothing happens. Not even the bugle sound on either ear. I feel I should get my money back. I paid $1900.00 in the beginning. I would never recommend Zounds Hearing aids.

What a piece of crap, $2500 down the drain. Then they close all Indiana stores on top of that. I should of went with my gut on this, when I went into Zounds and then went to my appointments there was never no customers in there. That was a red flag to me and I ask them if there was enough business to stay in business. Shame on me for believing in this company and for not backing what they say they will do.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I first got my hearing aids, I thought they were great. They made a big difference. After a few months I needed service. I was able to go to the Fishers, IN office where I bought them and they took care of me. A couple months later I needed some more service and that office had closed. I was still able to get them serviced by going to Carmel, IN. In May of this year they re-opened the Fishers office and when I went to get service again, I bought a 3 year warranty. Shortly after, all Indiana offices were closed and I had to send my aids to Corporate in Arizona. They repaired them in a timely manner. No problem.

Now I needed service again. Still no office open in Indiana. Sent the hearing aids in and they called me saying besides replacing the batteries and adjusting the settings, each one had 1 bad microphone of the 2 in each hearing aid. They wanted $300 per aid to fix. I told them about my 3 year warranty. They claim there is a deductible which is not stated in my paperwork. Sorry, I'm so long winded. They don't answer their phone. You leave a message and don't hear back. I have left 3 messages. Have not heard back.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My local Zounds retail store where I always went for repairs and maintenance closed so I was forced to deal with Corporate in Arizona. I had a problem with the remote control and volume so I sent it to Corporate as instructed and had it returned - supposedly repaired. A few months later the same problem arose and I have called and emailed them several times in the past month with no response. I am left with $2000 hearing aids that don't work without recourse except to repair it myself and an additional cost.

I purchased hearing aids from Zounds on 2/29/16 and was advised by them that I could return them if I was not completely satisfied. I had an appointment with them on 3/21/16 at which time I was going to return their faulty hearing aids, however my wife passed away 3/17/16 and her funeral was 3/21/16, which made it impossible to keep the appointment. My daughter made a new appointment for me with Zounds during all of the confusion and heartbreak. The new appointment was past the 30 day period so I was informed by Zounds that I could not return the hearing aids regardless of the circumstances. I have written several times to Zounds Home Office and have always been given a run-a-round (I began writing them in April 2016). These hearing aids were financed thru Care Credit, whom I have contacted several times but their response is that they are just a billing service.

They asked Zounds to respond to my complaints and were given nothing but untruths. Zounds told the credit card company they had never known I wanted to return the hearing aids until 8/22/16. That is the date I returned the hearing aids to them and informed them that the hearing aids did not work for me! After not hearing from them for 2 weeks, I visited them and was told that the hearing aids were corroded and possibly damaged which would make them hard to resell (I find this hard to believe since I only used them for 3 or 4 weeks trying to make them work). These hearing aids do not work for me and I am at a loss as to where I can go for help to avoid paying $5198.00 for aids I don't have (I have even offered to let them keep the $1200.00. I have already paid the credit card company for their time & effort). In closing I would add that I am 76 years old and this the worst experience I have encountered in my life.

A few months ago I took my mother-in-law, who is 85 years old and deaf to a local Zounds Hearing Aid Center where she was fitted for a hearing aid. The hearing aid worked well, except the lifetime warranty on batteries doesn't work very well when all of the local stores have closed and you have to send the hearing aids to Tempe Arizona to be replaced within 3 weeks. She paid $5,000.00 for the hearing aids and now because of their lack of financial strength she is going to be without hearing for at least 3 weeks. Why would a company close all of their stores unless they are going broke? I want to get her money back and purchase hearing aids from a reputable company, but we are past the 30 day warranty period. I just want everyone to know to not go to a Zounds Hearing Aid place when and if they ever open another around Houston. Their closest store is somewhere past Dallas in Texas.

This hearing aid has made a big difference in my hearing. I hear things that I have never heard before. I even hear my own voice, which is quite amazing for me. I will surely treasure this experience for a long time.

This is my first hearing aid. I can hear sounds that you would not think of. Also the confidence they give me knowing I won't have to ask anyone to repeat what they said.

The Appleton Zounds office offers a 30 day trial for $400. We felt that was expensive for a test of their equipment, but agreed to give it a try, since we would not be gambling with the $3000 full price. They required I pay the $3000 up front, despite the "trial" that we wanted. We have never owned a hearing aid, so this was an unknown entity for us. The 30 day trial ended on a Saturday, a day that they are closed.

So I called first thing on Monday to say I wanted to return the equipment since I felt it was not giving me any real help with my hearing. I also stated that the constant "feedback" of their equipment was very annoying and was so loud my wife could hear it across the room. This was despite making multiple visits and reprogramming the computers in the hearing aids as well as changing the inside ear tips multiple times. The store manager/technician was not available and did not immediately return my call left with the receptionist on Monday.

However, she confirmed that she had passed my information on to him. Since the store is only open two days a week, we ended up waiting until the end of the week to visit the store. Upon arriving, he quickly stated that they would not take back the hearing aids and would not refund any portion of the money. I state that their aids were not helping my hearing and the feedback was incessant, just as I had said in my message.

Long story short, the local man did not have the "authority" to refund money. He also assured me the owner would not agree, but said he would have him call me. Well, that took another half week. The call was as predicted, flat "NO" on the refund. I feel their trial program is false advertising, very misleading, and just a hook to get you into their store and lock you into their product. The equipment cannot seem to be fixed to omit the feedback. It is not good product. The device now sit on my dresser, useless.

My mom purchased a Zounds Hearing Aids in Cary, NC. They were working out great until the local office went out of business. The nearest store is over 2 hours away in Charlotte and it is terribly inconvenient for her to go to the nearest store and given her elderly state, this is not realistic. When I contacted the Zounds main office, I was told I could mail them in and they would work on them. We mailed in the hearing aid and up to this point, there is no acknowledgment of receipt and information on how quickly they can get back to us with a replacement. We will see how quickly the company will respond but we are very unsatisfied with the customer support provided and will likely look elsewhere if this matter is not resolved quickly.

Zounds Hearing Aids Company Profile