Get Pricing

2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

4.3/5 (108 ratings)

About Eargo

Eargo is a health tech company that’s destigmatizing hearing loss through innovation. Eargo brings a refreshing brand to an archaic industry overrun by inflated prices, needless negotiations, and complex purchasing barriers. For the first time, there’s a brand that provides consumers with a modern buying experience, great technology, and a clear understanding of hearing health. Learn more today about the enhanced auditory experience Eargo has offered millions of people across America.

Pros

• Licensed, professional support
  • May be covered by federal benefits
  • Nearly invisible
  • Rechargeable hearing aids

Cons

• Not for profound hearing loss

Bottom Line

Eargo sells four hearing aid models with an open-fit, breathable design. While not appropriate for those with profound hearing impairment, Eargo provides quality devices for mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss.

Top Eargo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have moderate hearing loss in the high frequencies. After checking at least a dozen companies, I decided to purchase from Eargo and I have been very pleased. [They called] me to...

Verified

I couldn't hear [background noises] and female voices are soft and I had difficulty hearing them. I bought the Max and I like them really well. The interaction with the customer s...

Eargo hearing aids

Eargo hearing aids

Eargo sells hearing aid devices for individuals with mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss. All models feature four sound profiles that are easy to save or switch between for the user. Unlike typical behind-the-ear hearing aids, Eargo’s devices are nearly invisible and amplify sound in front of you rather than behind you.

Eargo's open-fit hearing aids feature silicone Flexis that allow for increased airflow, letting frequencies pass more easily into your ear and giving you more natural sound amplification. The Flexis also prevent the plugging sensation commonly felt when using traditional plastic hearing aids.

There are four Eargo hearing aid models:

• Eargo Max, provides a sound amplification boost with improved noise reduction. The Eargo Max model features excellent sound quality, state-of-the-art Flexi fibers (the “Flexi Dome”) and advanced sound profile memory that includes voice indicators.
  • Eargo Neo features better noise reduction, better feedback cancellation and more added stable gain (for signals below 65dBSPL). The Neo device is controllable through Eargo’s mobile or web app, making it easier to adjust to your settings. You can also request an Eargo Hearing Professional to help you find your perfect sound settings via the mobile app.
  • Eargo Neo HiFi boasts a beautiful, state-of-the-art design for mild to severe high-frequency hearing loss. Eargo Neo HiFi lets you experience full-bodied, rich sound just as nature intended and is completely concealed inside the ear canal. The company offers a two-year warranty with the Eargo Neo HiFi. The Eargo Neo HiFi device is controllable through Eargo’s mobile or web app, which makes it easy to adjust the settings. You can also consult with an Eargo hearing professional to help find your perfect sound settings via the mobile app.
  • Eargo 5 is the company’s newest and smallest hearing aid. The Eargo 5 app includes Sound Match technology, and it lets you schedule a call or speak directly to a hearing professional. You can also choose one of four presets or completely customize your sound settings to your preferences. The hearing aids have a battery life of up to 16 hours and take around 2.5 hours to charge.

The devices are all rechargeable, and purchase includes a charging case that allows you to charge your Flexis on the go, allowing you to go days without ever having to plug into a wall.

Eargo prices

Eargo costs anywhere from $1,500 to $2,950, the total price of the hearing aids will depend on the model selected. Prices are for two hearing aids and include a charger, plus extra Flexis and wax guards. Financing is available and Eargo offers a 10% military discount for Eargo 5 and Eargo Neo HiFi to military, first responders, veterans and teachers.

The company handles claims directly with FEHB (federal employee health benefits) insurance plans, which may make it possible for qualified customers to receive the product at no out-of-pocket cost to them.

ModelPriceMonthly financing
Eargo Max$1,500/pairStarts at $70
Eargo Neo$2,000/pairStarts at $93
Eargo Neo HiFi$2,500/pairStarts at $116
Eargo 5$2,950/pairStarts at $137

How to buy Eargo hearing aids

Eargo designs products for individuals who experience mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss. The company uses safe, remote hearing checks, phone consultations and online ordering so you can purchase Eargo products from the comfort of your home. Eargo does not require outside hearing tests or prescriptions. Instead, the company relies on its own clinically validated hearing check to evaluate your hearing in loud settings. Visit the company’s website or call Eargo directly to purchase your preferred device.

In addition to four hearing aid models, Eargo sells replacement Flexis, replacement wax guards and chargers on their website.

Eargo staffs a team of personal hearing professionals (PHPs) that can help you evaluate their products and find the right selection for your hearing needs. Access to a PHP continues after purchase, for as long as you use the device. These professionals can help you with the fit and feel of your device, settings, and any questions that come up along the way. After purchase, your PHP will set up a welcome call to help you get started.

Eargo FAQ

Will my insurance cover my Eargo hearing aid?
Possibly. Eargo does not provide insurance reimbursements, so you’ll need to check with your insurance company in advance to see if you qualify for coverage.
What is Eargo’s return policy?
If you’re not satisfied, you can return your Eargo hearing device or any unopened accessories within 45 days for a refund.
How long do Eargo batteries last?
Eargo batteries are rechargeable, and a charger is included in the price of purchasing the hearing aids. A fully charged battery should last for 16 hours.
Do Eargo hearing aids help with tinnitus?
While Eargo hearing aids were not created to treat tinnitus, hearing aids may help reduce symptoms. According to Eargo, some users have reported a decline in tinnitus perception after wearing the devices.

Do we recommend Eargo hearing aids?

If you or a loved one is suffering from mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss, Eargo devices may be a great option. Their simplified ordering process cuts out the middleman and makes for a straightforward experience. Eargo also provides Personal Hearing Professionals that are on call to help you with any questions that arise before, during and after your purchase.

Eargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Eargo 5. No experience with other models. I had hearing aids from an audiologist about 15 years ago. I used them for about three years. They never really helped me hear the human voice in the settings I needed. (Meetings, restaurants, family gatherings). They were accidentally crushed on a business trip. I never bothered to replace them.

The last couple of years I decided I needed to try again. I did months of on-line research and set up an audiologist appointment at the same University medical center. Since it was several months out I decided I would try the hearing aids from two or three online sources using the trial periods offered. I went with Eargo first since I really didn't want over the ear models as I would likely throw them across the room on my construction projects when taking off masks, safety glasses, etc.

I have had the Eargo5 for about 60 days. I am keeping them and not moving on to other products. I clearly hear the human voice with reduced background noise. That was my goal and Eargo5 has provided that to me. I have had an issue with the app staying connected to the hearing aids, but that has not affected the clarity and the ability to have conversations in multiple settings without a tremendous effort on my part (funeral, wedding, family gatherings, TV watching, small group conversations). Eargo customer service in terms of adjusting and becoming comfortable with the hearing aids has been excellent.

Customer service for a technical issue was not so well managed by Eargo. With the exception of one person early on in trying to address the technical issue who listened and provided a potential fix (which didn't work), the other "tech" support only asked if the issue had resolved itself and how about scheduling an appointment for another consult. I eventually figured out the problem (retired problem solver). No tech appeared to have training in approaching an unusual technical issue in a structured thoughtful approach.

I contacted Eargo and gave them a more detailed description and they have said they would look to address their failing. Good response. As for long term durability and use, I can't comment at this time. Cost was between $2300 and $2500 with a couple of discounts to get me there (on-line special at Eargo and military discount). Summary... Love the Eargo5 and I think you would too if you have moderate hearing loss.

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I have been using my Eargo 5's for two months, and it has been an all-around wonderful experience. I have mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss, plus I developed tinnitus about 6 months ago, which was driving me crazy. The tinnitus was bothering me more than the hearing loss, but it made me look into hearing aids, because I know that auditory deprivation can cause or make tinnitus worse. The problem is that I'm too vain to wear hearing aids that are visible, and I know that I wouldn't use them enough to be of help. It seemed to me that Eargo was just what I was looking for, and I decided to give it a try.

At first it was a bit of a shock to hear things that I hadn't heard in many years, and it was a bit overwhelming. Also, initially the sound of my own voice was annoying, but I was amazed at how quickly I adjusted to it. Most of all, I'm so happy that when I wear my Eargos, I don't notice my tinnitus. Since my tinnitus is very high pitch buzz, the Eargos boost the ambient sounds in that register, and at least for me, it is very helpful. Not a cure, but a huge help during the day. I still need to use masking sounds at night when I sleep.

During the two months that I have been wearing the Eargos, nobody has noticed (as far as I know) that I am wearing hearing aids. My vanity prevails! I did have a connectivity issue about three weeks into using them, where I wasn't able to change programs using the app anymore. I was able to contact customer service, who advised me to uninstall the app and reinstall it. That helped for a couple of days, but then it was a problem again. Another customer representative advised me to leave the Eargos out of the charger overnight to let the batteries completely run down, then recharge them. That fixed the issue, and they've been working great ever since. All around, I'm very happy with my purchase, and it has greatly improved my quality of life. I especially enjoy walking through the park and hearing birds chirping again, rather than the buzzing in my ears from tinnitus!

Eargo response

Hello Ken! Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review about your Eargo experience. We could not be happier that Eargo has improved your hearing and has helped with your tinnitus. We sincerely appreciate your business, as well as you spreading the good word about Eargo to others!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

I ran across an order online, and it had the mount, and back-of-the-ear and one inside. And they work good, but they were just a nuisance. Especially when I wear a mask, I take the mask off and fling it clear across the room. I could do better, I thought. When I saw the ad that Eargo had, it looked great because it was just one little earbud that went inside the ear, and it was rechargeable which rids of the batteries. So, I thought, "Well, the price looked good." Because I was looking at some that were $5,000, $6,000, and I wouldn't want to go there.

I've been on the Eargos and have liked them ever since. I'm nowhere near deaf. It's just mostly distinguishing frequencies. But the hearing aids have helped very much when I'm in crowds and with a lot of background noise. I'm a pastor, so I use them when I'm at church on Wednesday nights and Bible study, and worship service Sunday mornings and evenings. If I went to a meeting, I would wear them. And so far, they've been super. When my right earbud wouldn't recharge, I called and Eargo replaced it. And I was pleased with the service.

I'm seeing a retired nurse. She wears hearing aids, and she made a comment about mine. And she paid a small fortune for hers, but they were the behind the ear piece. She said she is not too happy with them, and I said, "Well, maybe in time, you might want to try these and see." She seems to be open for it especially because of the one piece that goes in the ear where people can't see it.

Eargo response

Wow! Thank you so much for this wonderful review, and for recommending Eargo to others! Please know that we do have a referral program that you can learn more about at https://www.eargo.com/refer. We truly appreciate the opportunity to improve your hearing, and are so happy that you're happy with our product.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Eargo had a promotional program where they would send people nonfunctional hearing aids, so that they could test them out for a fit. And I said, “Well, okay. Well, I'll go ahead and do that.” That was several years ago. So, this is for the latest version that I have. I got the samples, but I didn't pay much attention to it until recently where I had difficulty with the current aids, and I haven't got them properly fitted. The insurance paid for them. I gave up because of the audiologist. That was when I decided to try the Eargo. Because they had the usual testing program for so many days, and the price was right. Plus they were CIC style, which I was more accustomed to using.

What surprises me the most is how comfortable they are for what I would consider a universal set. I'm from the era where we have that goop, chuck it in your ear, and the molding was made. So, they are very comfortable. They’re lightweights. I had some initial set up issues. I had a bad charging base, the little round pod thing. Apparently, it had some difficulty connecting to the internet. But Eargo sent me a complete replacement of aids and the base as well, which was very nice of them to do.

They're small, they last a long time as far as the charge goes. The fact that I have enough charge in the case itself for three or four charges without having to plug it in makes it handy for a weekend use. For something that is a vented device, I don't get any feedback. So, I'm pleased with that. I also like the programming aspect of it. I was skeptical because I'm from the school where you go in the booth and click the button. But this setup process was surprisingly more robust than I thought it would be. Because, “Here are your aids,” and they never took a test. So, the cell phone testing function works very well. Very clever that they would do it that way.

If I had any complaint at all, it was initially when I ordered the hearing aids, it's getting anybody on the phone. There was a backlog of hours that I get in touch with somebody at customer service. But when I got somebody at customer service, they were very informative. The person who’s an audiologist was very helpful and helped me customize the hearing that I wanted to hear. I like the “music setting” because it’s devoid of compression. And I’ve been involved in audio sound for many years, and doing radio stuff. I would much rather hear what the surrounding sound is, and let my brain sort out what is noise and what I wanna hear. But that's probably because I'm old-school, from hearing aids that didn't have built-in noise reduction and compression. So, the music setting gets rid of that compression.

The audiologist was able to customize my “normal settings” to eliminate the compression factor, and sent that programming down the line, to my recharging pod. At which point, the hearing aids were updated. So, I would give Eargo high marks on that. My first audiologist said, “You're the only person that asked me for the microphone patterns on your hearing aids.” So far, it went well. The downside was it took me a long time to get connected with anybody, but I've been told that that is trying to be remedied as more and more people are hired.

I've recommended Eargo to other friends of mine who have hearing aids that are far more expensive than mine. And they are looking into it. It’s not going to be for everybody. Because some people's hearing loss don't fit that spectrum. It's mostly designed for high-frequency hearing loss, which is my problem. I have a boss who has a low-frequency hearing loss so the aids are probably not recommended for her. But I told her about them. And I said, “You can call Eargo and find out about what's applicable for your type of hearing loss.”

Eargo response

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing about your Eargo experience. We are so thrilled to hear that Eargo is working out so well for you, and that you have recommended our product to others. We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to improve your hearing, and we also completely welcome your feedback.

Original review: April 4, 2021

My son inherited a hearing problem and he was reluctant to do anything about it. Some folks at his job were a little irritated with him continually asking them to say things over. I did a little bit of research into the quality of Eargo. I like the 45-day trial and the money-back thing because we weren't sure if our son was going to be able to adjust to it because it's hard for a person to adjust to having things in your ear all the time. The price was good and they were probably higher quality than some of those others that are advertised. I bought our son the hearing aid and that has helped him a great deal. He likes it. He said he can tap on it and change the mode. So far, it's doing great.

But there were issues regarding the two-day delivery. To me, when they say two-day shipping, that means two days from the day I pay then I'm going to receive the product. But it was not shipped to get to me in two days. When I inquired about it, I was told, "That means two days from the time it actually ships." But they don't say that at checkout. If you go to Amazon and you get two-day shipping, you get it in two days, not two days from when you decide to ship it. If Eargo had actually shipped to me in two days, the product would have gotten here before the cold blizzard hit most of the country. Since they didn't ship it right away, it got caught up in that blizzard and was delayed.

The other thing that was really dumb was they shifted to a UPS facility that does not allow for local pickup. The product was stuck there for another four or five days. Normally, if I get a package at a UPS facility and they are not going to be able to make it out to my location because of snow, I can call them and tell them that I'm going to pick it up. We live a few miles apart from our son and he was anxious in trying to get the hearing aid. Finally, he worked it out and wound up getting it. I got several apologies from Eargo. I had to pay $25 extra for the two-day shipping and they refunded that. In total, it took three weeks or so to get the hearing aid. I would encourage whoever makes these decisions at Eargo to rectify what they mean by two-day shipping on their checkout. I've done a little eCommerce work myself and it's not a big deal to change the wording in the checkout mode on their site.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

So far, Eargo has been great. I had a problem with one of the hearing aids the other day and made a call to the number I had. They walked me through step by step and helped me fix it up. The reps have answered my questions every time. I talked to a girl in Nashville where I'm from and she was like, “When you come over to see your mom, stop by the office. We'd like to meet our people.”

However, everything's so loud with the Eargo. I was in an outside mall right after I got them and I kept hearing something flop like the big signs they hang which flop when they get loose. I thought there was a sign somewhere and I was looking up. I was thinking, “These people are gonna think I'm crazy.” A lady walked by with flip flops and I had heard her flip flops coming. The Eargo takes getting used to. But when you get used to it, it's wonderful to be able to hear.

Eargo response

Hello Brenda! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your Eargo experience so far! We're so happy that Eargo is improving your hearing, and that you're satisfied with the support that our Client Care team has provided!

If you need additional assistance in getting used to your devices or with anything else, our Client Care team is always happy to help. As a reminder, our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, through the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling us at 1-800-615-9000.

Thank you for choosing Eargo, and please keep spreading the good word about us to others!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

Updated on 11/23/2021: Eargo still refuses to honor their warranty after Consumer Affairs response. They now want $295 from me after $2000 paid. Eargo lied to public Consumers Affairs in their public response. Do not buy from Eargo. You would be very dissatisfied as I am. Shameful and greedy.

Original Review: Eargo charged $2000.00 for my hearing aids. One needed repair after 2 months and will not honor warranty. Eargo wants $262.00 more. I have been disappointed with their hearing aids. Very cheap but only asked for warranty repair. They refuse.

Eargo response

Hello Nels. We can confirm that we do honor our warranty. It appears that you are still within this warranty time-frame until 2022 if a replacement is needed after working through troubleshooting steps with our Client Care team. We will be having a representative from this team contact you shortly, or please feel free to contact us at your convenience. As a reminder, our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, through the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling us at 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

With the Eargo hearing aids, the users do the hearing test themselves, and the hearing aids are programmed to amplify the frequencies that they lost, so it is like their hearing is restored in those frequencies that they need. I use my hearing aids every day and I've definitely got a range of frequency that my ears don't hear. Also, I've talked with customer service several times and corresponded with them by email, and they are very responsive, helpful, nice and professional.

Eargo response

Hello Dennis! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this positive review! We're so happy that you're happy with the product and the support that we provide our clients. We sincerely appreciate your business, and the opportunity to improve your hearing!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

My Eargo 5s have transformed my life in a positive way. They have significantly improved my hearing and cognitive abilities. I teach and my students have noticed an improvement since I started wearing them. My family is less frustrated with me, and happy that the TV does not have to be as loud as it I had needed it in the past. The Eargos are essential invisible, and have gotten quite comfortable over time. I had some initial problems getting used to them and using the app to adjust them for different situations, but the Eargo Audiologist helped me through those problems. There was a bit of a snag, when the app software was updated, but again customer service helped me through that. I am still struggling a bit with using the app to fine tune my Eargos but things are improving. I am thrilled with the results and so happy that I took this step. Give them a try, the 45 trial period is really helpful!

Eargo response

Hello Richard! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your Eargo experience! We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to improve your hearing, and we're so happy that Eargo hearing aids are such a great fit for you! Please keep spreading the good word about Eargo to others!

If you need additional assistance later on with the app or anything else, please let us know. Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, through the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling us at 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

All members of your staff I interacted with were exceptionally competent and friendly. Eargos worked great right out of the box. Biggest issue is remembering to take them out when I shower or go to bed. I barely notice I am wearing them. I easily change programs and calibrate with the app. An outstanding feature is the ability to permanently adjust a program. Thanks Eargo!!

Eargo response

Hello Jim! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your Eargo experience. We're so happy that you're so happy with our product and the support that we provide. It's our pleasure to have the opportunity to improve your hearing. Please keep spreading the good word about Eargo to others!

Eargo Company Information