Get Pricing

2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids

4.3/5 (80 ratings)

About Eargo

Eargo is a health tech company that’s destigmatizing hearing loss through innovation. Eargo brings a refreshing brand to an archaic industry overrun by inflated prices, needless negotiations, and complex purchasing barriers. For the first time, there’s a brand that provides consumers with a modern buying experience, great technology, and a clear understanding of hearing health. Learn more today about the enhanced auditory experience Eargo has offered millions of people across America.

Pros

• Licensed, professional support
  • May be covered by federal benefits
  • Nearly invisible
  • Rechargeable hearing aids

Cons

• Not for profound hearing loss

Bottom Line

Eargo sells four hearing aid models with an open-fit, breathable design. While not appropriate for those with profound hearing impairment, Eargo provides quality devices for mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss.

Top Eargo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have moderate hearing loss in the high frequencies. After checking at least a dozen companies, I decided to purchase from Eargo and I have been very pleased. [They called] me to...

Verified

I couldn't hear [background noises] and female voices are soft and I had difficulty hearing them. I bought the Max and I like them really well. The interaction with the customer s...

Eargo hearing aids

Eargo hearing aids

Eargo sells hearing aid devices for individuals with mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss. All models feature four sound profiles that are easy to save or switch between for the user. Unlike typical behind-the-ear hearing aids, Eargo’s devices are nearly invisible and amplify sound in front of you rather than behind you.

Eargo's open-fit hearing aids feature silicone Flexis that allow for increased airflow, letting frequencies pass more easily into your ear and giving you more natural sound amplification. The Flexis also prevent the plugging sensation commonly felt when using traditional plastic hearing aids.

There are four Eargo hearing aid models:

• Eargo Max, provides a sound amplification boost with improved noise reduction. The Eargo Max model features excellent sound quality, state-of-the-art Flexi fibers (the “Flexi Dome”) and advanced sound profile memory that includes voice indicators.
  • Eargo Neo features better noise reduction, better feedback cancellation and more added stable gain (for signals below 65dBSPL). The Neo device is controllable through Eargo’s mobile or web app, making it easier to adjust to your settings. You can also request an Eargo Hearing Professional to help you find your perfect sound settings via the mobile app.
  • Eargo Neo HiFi boasts a beautiful, state-of-the-art design for mild to severe high-frequency hearing loss. Eargo Neo HiFi lets you experience full-bodied, rich sound just as nature intended and is completely concealed inside the ear canal. The company offers a two-year warranty with the Eargo Neo HiFi. The Eargo Neo HiFi device is controllable through Eargo’s mobile or web app, which makes it easy to adjust the settings. You can also consult with an Eargo hearing professional to help find your perfect sound settings via the mobile app.
  • Eargo 5 is the company’s newest and smallest hearing aid. The Eargo 5 app includes Sound Match technology, and it lets you schedule a call or speak directly to a hearing professional. You can also choose one of four presets or completely customize your sound settings to your preferences. The hearing aids have a battery life of up to 16 hours and take around 2.5 hours to charge.

The devices are all rechargeable, and purchase includes a charging case that allows you to charge your Flexis on the go, allowing you to go days without ever having to plug into a wall.

Eargo prices

Eargo costs anywhere from $1,500 to $2,950, the total price of the hearing aids will depend on the model selected. Prices are for two hearing aids and include a charger, plus extra Flexis and wax guards. Financing is available and Eargo offers a 10% military discount for Eargo 5 and Eargo Neo HiFi to military, first responders, veterans and teachers.

The company handles claims directly with FEHB (federal employee health benefits) insurance plans, which may make it possible for qualified customers to receive the product at no out-of-pocket cost to them.

ModelPriceMonthly financing
Eargo Max$1,500/pairStarts at $70
Eargo Neo$2,000/pairStarts at $93
Eargo Neo HiFi$2,500/pairStarts at $116
Eargo 5$2,950/pairStarts at $137

How to buy Eargo hearing aids

Eargo designs products for individuals who experience mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss. The company uses safe, remote hearing checks, phone consultations and online ordering so you can purchase Eargo products from the comfort of your home. Eargo does not require outside hearing tests or prescriptions. Instead, the company relies on its own clinically validated hearing check to evaluate your hearing in loud settings. Visit the company’s website or call Eargo directly to purchase your preferred device.

In addition to four hearing aid models, Eargo sells replacement Flexis, replacement wax guards and chargers on their website.

Eargo staffs a team of personal hearing professionals (PHPs) that can help you evaluate their products and find the right selection for your hearing needs. Access to a PHP continues after purchase, for as long as you use the device. These professionals can help you with the fit and feel of your device, settings, and any questions that come up along the way. After purchase, your PHP will set up a welcome call to help you get started.

Eargo FAQ

Will my insurance cover my Eargo hearing aid?
Possibly. Eargo does not provide insurance reimbursements, so you’ll need to check with your insurance company in advance to see if you qualify for coverage.
What is Eargo’s return policy?
If you’re not satisfied, you can return your Eargo hearing device or any unopened accessories within 45 days for a refund.
How long do Eargo batteries last?
Eargo batteries are rechargeable, and a charger is included in the price of purchasing the hearing aids. A fully charged battery should last for 16 hours.
Do Eargo hearing aids help with tinnitus?
While Eargo hearing aids were not created to treat tinnitus, hearing aids may help reduce symptoms. According to Eargo, some users have reported a decline in tinnitus perception after wearing the devices.

Do we recommend Eargo hearing aids?

If you or a loved one is suffering from mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss, Eargo devices may be a great option. Their simplified ordering process cuts out the middleman and makes for a straightforward experience. Eargo also provides Personal Hearing Professionals that are on call to help you with any questions that arise before, during and after your purchase.

Eargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?

Original review: June 5, 2021

My Eargo hearing aids make it easier mostly in meetings when I'm further back or sometimes if I'm in the front and briefing then there are folks a little bit further back. In the past, depending on the pitch of the person, it could be a big issue and my hearing aids helped with that a lot. So, I don't use them so much in my day-to-day activities, like listening to TV, because I don't want to leave them in my ear too long. But they've been really beneficial for on a six to eight hours a day when I'm doing actual work and I'm having communication. As people are a little bit of distance away from me, my hearing aids have given me a significant amount of relief from having to ask somebody to repeat or speak up. The batteries also seem to last a really long time and the hearing aids are functioning well for me, so I'm happy.

They're pretty comfortable, too. I have sensitive ears, so if I wore even what everyone else would rate the most comfortable earbud in the world, in three or four hours in, my ears start getting tender. My Eargo hearing aids are more comfortable than my expensive earbuds for listening to music or being on a plane since I travel a lot. Even the most expensive earbuds hurt my ears 10 times more than these do. After eight hours, my ears do get tender. But these hearings aids are so much better than my earbuds because they're really small and they've not given me any odd sounds or any issue.

Eargo response

Hello Kirk! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. We're so glad that your Eargos help as needed while working, and that the battery life of the Eargos are satisfactory. Lastly, please spread the good word about Eargo to friends and family!

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2021

My son inherited a hearing problem and he was reluctant to do anything about it. Some folks at his job were a little irritated with him continually asking them to say things over. I did a little bit of research into the quality of Eargo. I like the 45-day trial and the money-back thing because we weren't sure if our son was going to be able to adjust to it because it's hard for a person to adjust to having things in your ear all the time. The price was good and they were probably higher quality than some of those others that are advertised. I bought our son the hearing aid and that has helped him a great deal. He likes it. He said he can tap on it and change the mode. So far, it's doing great.

But there were issues regarding the two-day delivery. To me, when they say two-day shipping, that means two days from the day I pay then I'm going to receive the product. But it was not shipped to get to me in two days. When I inquired about it, I was told, "That means two days from the time it actually ships." But they don't say that at checkout. If you go to Amazon and you get two-day shipping, you get it in two days, not two days from when you decide to ship it. If Eargo had actually shipped to me in two days, the product would have gotten here before the cold blizzard hit most of the country. Since they didn't ship it right away, it got caught up in that blizzard and was delayed.

The other thing that was really dumb was they shifted to a UPS facility that does not allow for local pickup. The product was stuck there for another four or five days. Normally, if I get a package at a UPS facility and they are not going to be able to make it out to my location because of snow, I can call them and tell them that I'm going to pick it up. We live a few miles apart from our son and he was anxious in trying to get the hearing aid. Finally, he worked it out and wound up getting it. I got several apologies from Eargo. I had to pay $25 extra for the two-day shipping and they refunded that. In total, it took three weeks or so to get the hearing aid. I would encourage whoever makes these decisions at Eargo to rectify what they mean by two-day shipping on their checkout. I've done a little eCommerce work myself and it's not a big deal to change the wording in the checkout mode on their site.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I kept telling my husband he was mumbling because I couldn't hear him. Little things weren't as sharp as they used to be. I got Eargo hearing aids and they've been great. They go in my ear. I can hear everything now. My husband has hearing aids through the VA, and mine are just as good, if not better, than what he's gotten from the VA. I'm still learning how to adjust everything on there, so I don't have them screeching but it's a learning experience.

The representatives of Eargo have called to check up on me to see how I'm doing. I had issues with the hearing aids in my left ear. They told me little things I could try to make it feel better and trim it down some. Even after that, they've called to check and see how it's doing. They've been really attentive and they give good advice. Especially the retired federal workers, I'd tell them to try Eargo first before going anywhere where it’s gonna cost them an arm and a leg.

Eargo response

Thank you for the honest and candid comments, Pauline. It means a lot to us that you took the time to post of your experience. Please spread the good word about Eargo to your friends and family! We're so happy that trusted us to help improve your hearing!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I had a 3 year old pair of Eargo hearing aids that I left in a hotel room (truly a Senior Moment) and liked them so much, decided to replace them with new Eargos. I talked to Tanya, who described the differences between the Eargo models and suggested that I try the Eargo Neo HiFi hearing aids. She was very thorough, friendly and helpful, so I ordered them. My new Eargos (smaller than my old ones), arrived in 5 days, and after making sure they were fully charged, I put them in, and Wow, the sound, clarity and fit was amazing.

Talking to Randy a little over a week after I have used them, I explained to him how amazing these Neo HiFi's are. Before I started wearing them, I was watching my TV at a volume level of 17 or higher just to hear the programs (and also using the closed captions), Well, my TV volume is at 7- 9, I hear clearer, I hear more sounds, and I have turned off the closed captions. Hallelujah! My cat has a bell on her collar that I could never hear, and now I can. Amazing. Thank you Eargo.

Eargo response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write! We agree that Tanya is a gem and she is representative of how the entire Eargo team treats our clients. We're always trying improve our technology and are thrilled you noticed the difference with the HiFi. Thanks for sticking with Eargo!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Going deaf is more terrible than I imagined. Everything becomes difficult. Now I know why older people get grumpier and grumpier. I've tried one other hearing aid - no help. More trouble not less. I'm new to Eargo but here are the positives: 1. I can barely feel them. 2. They do amplify the sound and suddenly I hear things I haven't heard for years. 3. There is a fix for too much sound... It's called mute. 4. You don't need anything but a hand that slaps you up along the side of your head (over your ear) to change from one program to the other... WOW is that brilliant. 5. For special features and help you have an audiologist as close as the phone and email. She can make program changes on the fly (it's like having a full self-driving Tesla parked inside your ears). I need time to adjust and see how best to work with them. Technology is good but you can't expect to have your 16 year old self back. Adapt and benefit as much as you can. I'm happy!

Hi Barbara!

Wow! What a wonderful story you've written about your Eargo experience! Thank you for taking the time to write and post this. The last few lines you wrote are so true when beginning to use hearing aids - "I need time to adjust and see how best to work with them. Technology is good but you can't expect to have your 16 year old self back. Adapt and benefit as much as you can."

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Eargo is a great product, and the quality is real good.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this positive review. We're so happy that you're happy with our product. Please keep spreading the good word about Eargo to friends and family!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I bought these last March. When driving the car with the windows partially open, they change programs constantly. Customer care suggested taking them out when I drive. Not a good suggestion. These devices will drive you crazy when you drive with the windows open or the top down. I'm not not sure if the Eargo 5 has fixed the problem but the company said they wouldn't allow me to upgrade and pay the difference to mitigate the problem. Also, the charging unit stopped synching to my phone. They did offer to send a new charger and I hope there is an adjustment to fix the program change issue.

Eargo response

Hello! We're so sorry to hear about the frustration regarding the sound profiles changing on their own. The reason for this is that the sound profiles should cycle when air is pushed into the microphone, like when you're tapping your ears twice. Another way that you can avoid this (other than removing the devices when driving with the windows down) is using the free Eargo app to mute all sound profiles but the desired profile. There is already a case in progress for one of our on-call professionals to call you and work through trying this with you.

I hope this is helpful, but if you need anything else then please let me know. Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, through the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling us at 1-800-615-9000.

Resolution response: Aug. 31, 2021

I was able to come to a resolution with Eargo. It’s a good product. It just didn’t work for me.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I have worn hearing aids for 9 or 10 years, (behind the ear models,) and a year ago decided I’d try the Eargo Neo HiFi. There were some initial problems with feedback and getting used to an in the ear aid, but once I got past those I liked the product. But a little more than two months into wearing them, I began to have problems where they weren’t amplifying sound and wouldn’t cycle through the programs. Long story short, the issue for me is that the microphones in the Eargo stop working after two months. This first happened to me just after the initial period where I could return them had expired, and so I worked on solving the problem. Eargo has been good about honoring the warranty and giving me a new hearing aid. In general I’ve found the people on the customer service line to be helpful, and usually easy to reach.

The service representatives have worked with me to try to solve the problem, which apparently is caused by the microphone getting obstructed with wax and debris. I have followed every suggestion they’ve made—compressed air for cleaning, using a different brush, letting the aids dry first before cleaning. But the aids continue to fail after about 2 months no matter what I’ve tried. There have been times they’ve seemed to blame me for this, insinuating I don’t care for them properly. But I’m very meticulous about cleaning and caring for them, and follow all their suggestions, even up to buying another maker’s hearing aid vacuum that cost me $100. Nothing has worked. I’ve now had to replace each hearing aid separately 5 or 6 times in the last 14 months. The customer service representatives are helpful but limited in what they can do when they are dealing with you only over the phone or video.

After the last aid failed, despite following their suggestion of daily use of the vacuum as “the only other thing to try,” I called Eargo again. The customer line had me on a 40 minute hold each time I called, so I requested a call back. They called back the first time within the hour, but unfortunately I couldn’t take the call. After that I requested callbacks twice, as well as made 2 emails to their support line as they suggest, and didn’t receive any calls or emails in return for 6 days. All this time I was without a left hearing aid. I finally had to write to a customer representative whose direct email I had from a past complaint, and finally heard back.

I told Eargo I was very frustrated that during the last year, I’d had ten to twelve failures of the device, and a total of about 3 months during that time where I was without a hearing aid. I mentioned I knew that they’d come out with a new model, the Eargo 5, with changes to the microphone and cover which seemed to address the exact issue I had with my Neo Hifi model's failing. The Eargo 5 has a self-cleaning, removable microphone cover which indicates to me they are aware there was a design flaw in the Neo Hifi. The representative said the new model would likely take care of the problem I’ve had with my current aids.

I asked what kind of upgrade I could get, particularly since the current ones I’ve own have continually failed. They said I could get $500 off the cost of $2950, not because of the problems I’ve had, but because that is just what they offer any current Eargo customer. I said the Neo Hifi I already had cost nearly that exact amount, and I was hesitant to again spend that amount of money to try a new pair which I wasn’t even sure would solve my issue. The representative pointed out their 60-day return policy. I explained the problem with my original pair was that they functioned just past that time and then failed, and consistently did so, and despite numerous interactions the company had not properly remedied that during the last year.

I have decided that I’m unwilling to risk more money on a new product from Eargo, as they have not remedied what is a defective product for some people, and clearly is for me. And I’m not going to go through another year under warranty with my current devices where I have to send in the devices that have failed and wait to receive a replacement, every month or so. I will find a hearing aid and a company that works for me and is committed to giving my money’s worth in their product.

Eargo response

Hello Phil! Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We're very happy that you're satisfied with the support we've provided in continuing to replace your devices for free when needed. However, we're very sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with your Eargo aids thus far.

Eargo hearing aids being in-ear devices do require certain daily and monthly maintenance. For future reference, it can be very helpful to further discuss cleaning and quality with one of our hearing professionals, if you'd like us to arrange a call for you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I called Eargo, ordered from them and customer service was super good. I'm a federal employee, so I was able to get a good deal. The cost is negligible and my hearing aids are doing what I want them to do. It's made life better. I don't have to ask people to repeat themselves often. I have recommended Eargo to several people now (people that had $5,000 hearing aids that were very unhappy with them) and they may have already followed through.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We're so happy that you're happy with our product and support, and that you've been recommending Eargo to others! We do have a referral program, if you want to email our Client Care team with information on who you referred to us. Thank you again for this review. We truly appreciate the opportunity to improve your hearing!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Since using Eargo, there's been an improvement with my hearing, although I'm not sure it deals with all the tones that I have deafness with. I have printouts of the hearing tests that I had done and they didn't ask for those, which would have been an intelligent thing to do. They could have matched the hearing aids to something more medically documented. Other than that, the hearing aids fit very well in the ear. I'm reactive outside and my chance of losing them or having them fall out is slim to none.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We're happy to hear that Eargo's fit you well and have ultimately improved your hearing, but we are sorry if they do not help with all tones you need them to help with. While providing a hearing test is in no way required, it can be helpful in adjusting your Eargo aids through the app, if you did want to email our Client Care team that document to attach to your account. Thank you again for the opportunity to improve your hearing, and please keep spreading the word about Eargo!

Eargo Company Information