2. Elder Care
  3. Hearing Aids
Accredited Partner

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.13/5

Eargo is a health tech company that’s destigmatizing hearing loss through innovation. Eargo brings a refreshing brand to an archaic industry overrun by inflated prices, needless negotiations, and complex purchasing barriers. For the first time, there’s a brand that provides consumers with a modern buying experience, great technology, and a clear understanding of hearing health. Learn more today about the enhanced auditory experience Eargo has offered millions of people across America.

Eargo Video
Eargo Gallery (3)

BOTTOM LINE

Eargo sells three hearing aid models with an open-fit, breathable design. While not appropriate for those with profound hearing impairment, Eargo provides quality devices for mild to severe high-frequency hearing loss.

PROS

• Nearly invisible
  • Licensed, professional support
  • 100% covered by federal benefits
  • Rechargeable hearing aids

CONS

• Not for profound hearing loss

Top Eargo Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?

I have moderate hearing loss in the high frequencies. After checking at least a dozen companies, I decided to purchase from Eargo and I have been very pleased. [They called] me to make sure it was working and that I was getting used to [the device]. I also had direct contact with the audiologist.

I couldn't hear [background noises] and female voices are soft and I had difficulty hearing them. I bought the Max and I like them really well. The interaction with the customer service team was excellent... You get a good look and it's so easy to adjust the volume.

Eargo hearing aids

Eargo sells hearing aid devices for individuals with mild to severe high-frequency hearing loss. All models feature four sound profiles that are easy to save or switch between for the user. Unlike typical behind-the-ear hearing aids, Eargo’s devices are nearly invisible and amplify sound in front of you rather than behind you.

Eargo's open-fit hearing aids feature silicone Flexis that allow for increased airflow, letting frequencies pass more easily into your ear and giving you more natural sound amplification. The Flexis also prevent the plugging sensation commonly felt when using traditional plastic hearing aids.

There are three Eargo hearing aid models:

• Eargo Max, provides a sound amplification boost with improved noise reduction. The Eargo Max model features excellent sound quality, state-of-the-art Flexi fibers (the “Flexi Dome”) and advanced sound profile memory that includes voice indicators.
  • Eargo Neo features better noise reduction, better feedback cancellation and more added stable gain (for signal below 65dBSPL). The Neo device is controllable through Eargo’s mobile or web app, making it easier to adjust to your settings. You can also request an Eargo Hearing Professional to help you find your perfect sound settings via the mobile app.
  • Eargo Neo HiFi boasts a beautiful, state-of-the-art design combined with the company’s best sound fidelity ever for mild to severe high-frequency hearing loss. Eargo Neo HiFi lets you experience full-bodied, rich sound just as nature intended and is completely concealed inside the ear canal. The company offers a two-year warranty with the Eargo Neo HiFi. The hearing aid is being offered at an introductory price of $2,650 with financing starting at $123 a month for a limited time. The Eargo Neo HiFi device is controllable through Eargo’s mobile or web app, which makes it easy to adjust the settings. You can also consult with an Eargo hearing professional to help find your perfect sound settings via the mobile app.

The devices are all rechargeable, and purchase includes a charging case that allows you to charge your Flexis on the go, allowing you to go days without ever having to plug into a wall.

Each model has different specifications including dimensions and feel and performance. Compare each of Eargo’s models using the chart below.

ModelEargo MaxEargo NeoEargo Neo HiFi
DimensionsL-18.4mm / H-9.4mm / W-6.8mmL-19.3mm / H-6.8mm / W-12mmL-19.3mm / H-6.8mm / W-12mm
Weight1.1g1.2g1.2g
GainMaximum output 110dB SPLMaximum output 111dB SPLMaximum output 111dB SPL
Noise reductionUp to 12dB gain reductionUp to 17dB gain reductionUp to 17dB gain reduction
Wind noise reductionUp to 14dB gain reductionUp to 13dB gain reductionUp to 13dB gain reduction

Eargo prices

Eargo costs anywhere from $1,850 to $2,650, the total price of the hearing aids will depend on the model selected. Prices are for two hearing aids and include a charger, plus extra Flexis and wax guards. Financing is available and Eargo offers a 20% military discount.

The company handles claims directly with FEHB (federal employee health benefits) insurance plans, which makes it possible for qualified customers to receive the product at no out-of-pocket cost to them.

ModelPriceMonthly financing
Eargo Max$1,850/pairStarts at $86
Eargo Neo$2,350/pairStarts at $109
Eargo Neo HiFi$2,650/pairStarts at $137

How to buy Eargo hearing aids

Eargo designs products for individuals who experience mild to severe high-frequency hearing loss. The company uses safe, remote hearing checks, phone consultations and online ordering so you can purchase Eargo products from the comfort of your home. Eargo does not require outside hearing tests or prescriptions. Instead, the company relies on its own clinically validated hearing check to evaluate your hearing in loud settings. Visit the company’s website or call Eargo directly to purchase your preferred device. You can also try Eargo in person at b8ta stores in select locations.

In addition to three hearing aid models, Eargo sells replacement Flexis, replacement wax guards and chargers on their website.

Eargo staffs a team of personal hearing professionals (PHPs) that can help you evaluate their products and find the right selection for your hearing needs. Access to a PHP continues after purchase, for as long as you use the device. These professionals can help you with the fit and feel of your device, settings, and any questions that come up along the way. After purchase, your PHP will set up a welcome call to help you get started.

Eargo Q&A

Will my insurance cover my Eargo hearing aid?

Possibly. Eargo does not provide insurance reimbursements, so you’ll need to check with your insurance company in advance to see if you qualify for coverage.

What is Eargo’s return policy?

If you’re not satisfied, you can return your Eargo hearing device or any unopened accessories within 45 days for a refund. A $99 handling fee will be applied.

How long do Eargo batteries last?

Eargo batteries are rechargeable, and a charger is included in the price of purchasing the hearing aids. A fully charged battery should last for 16 hours.

Do Eargo hearing aids help with tinnitus?

While Eargo hearing aids were not created to treat tinnitus, hearing aids may help reduce symptoms. According to Eargo, some users have reported a decline in tinnitus perception after wearing the devices.

Do we recommend Eargo hearing aids?

If you or a loved one is suffering from mild to severe high-frequency hearing loss, Eargo devices may be a great option. Their simplified ordering process cuts out the middleman and makes for a straightforward experience. Eargo also provides Personal Hearing Professionals that are on call to help you with any questions that arise before, during and after your purchase.

Eargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?

Original review: July 9, 2020

I have been waiting and watching because I know that all the other competitors of Eargo are basically the same. I had felt like they were all way overpriced and they haven't really changed in 50 years. It's sort of almost like price-fixing. They all were sorta in cahoots. Now I've noticed that some of the old-timey ones are saying, “Yes. Computer blah, blah, blah,” but they're not, really. It's the same old, same old. Eargo, on the other hand, is really using newer technology that I can adjust with my phone and all that kinda stuff. It's awesome. I've been waiting for this technology to finally be affordable and to really be available.

My hearing aids are fantastic. Having them is like day and night. I knew I was missing more and more. Sadly, because of the lockdown I have not been able to go into a crowded room to see how that works. One of the things that pushed me over the edge was going to a meeting. I couldn't hear people even if they were sitting next to me. I haven't gotten to test that out yet, but I hope it'll be soon. Otherwise, birds, understanding words on TV and just a million things, it’s life-changing.

I love my hearing aids and I sorta forget about them. The only drawback is I do wish that there was a real person to make sure I've got them in my ears right. There are some days they're kinda sticking out a little bit and I can't quite find that sweet spot or if I move my head funny, it gets a little muffled and I know that they’re not really in there right. That's the only thing. I feel like sometimes I'm not optimizing the way that they're used.

That aside, customer service has been fabulous about following up and checking in with me. They had an appointment right off the bat. I know they're available anytime if I have questions or concerns. They have that really rare customer service quality of making you feel like you're the only customer they care about which is awesome. I know how hard that is.

I have tried to talk to my 91-year-old father into getting Eargo because he will never stick with his hearing aids. He doesn't like the ones he's got and it's like, “Please get these. Please, dad,” but he just won't. My best friend told me about her hearing aids and that's why I got mine. She was just in love with them. She and I had been hunting forever to find something. I told everybody I know, “Get these. They're fantastic. You put them in, you forget it. You don't have to fiddle around with battery stuff."

Get buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I like the Eargos but I was put off by the cost. It was not a great time for us to be entering into something like this but we'll probably be committed to seeing it through, as far as the payment schedule. That goes on for some time. As far as the devices themselves, I’m not totally sold that they're anything more than amplifiers. Actually, you can get amplifiers for far less money. From what I researched, Eargo is still basically an amplifier. It doesn't focus on your respective right and left ear's hearing loss at certain frequencies. It’s more targeted to people with high-frequency loss and I think that’s primarily what mine is, from the ones I had before. That’s what we were working on correcting with the audiologist.

I had gotten some normal, over-the-ear hearing aids before and at the time, my insurance company would actually pay most of it. But the itching in the ear is something that seems to go with them. Initially, I was told that it’s pretty common.­ But I didn’t like the itching in the ear. I didn’t like the kind of batteries they had either. When you pull the seal off and air hits it, it starts a chemical reaction and the battery is gonna be dead within five days whether you use it or not. I’m also active outdoors and I didn't like that the hearing aids would fall off my ear and sometimes, they would even pull out the in-the-ear part. It was crazy. So I gradually didn't wear them very often.

On the other hand, the Eargos are very discreet and pretty low-maintenance so far. Plus you don’t have to do batteries. Those are the things that make them feel like a better fit for my personality and lifestyle. So I recommended them to two other people with the caveat that they have a 45-day trial period to decide for themselves. I told them to be sure to send them back within 45 days if they don’t like them. I don’t think Eargo is perfect at all. Ideal hearing would be nice to have again but that’s not gonna happen. So at least they're something that I’m happy to put in and keep in. They are far more comfortable. I even find that, if I lay down and start watching TV, I’ll go to sleep with them on. That’s not the way I like to do it but at least that says that they're not bothering me a whole lot. So far, I haven’t had any problems with them.

I hope that they’ll be durable because it seems to me like I’m kind of a jerk of a consumer. If you buy a car new and you finance it for 60 months – some are even 72 – they should keep that car running for you until you've paid for it. I feel the same way about the Eargos. If you're gonna finance them for a certain amount of time, I ought to have a full boat, blanket replacement warranty without any questions asked if one of them should have a fail. But the reviews that I’ve seen were not very reassuring about the kind of support you get after paying this amount of money. Other users who reviewed Eargo said that if there were problems, Eargo is not really too good about replacing. I think there is a $300 charge to replace one if it fails. I read about the red charger issues and about one that would change the settings by itself.

In terms of the four different levels, two seemed to be a pretty good fit. But I felt like I continued to have problems. It's not so much being loud enough but it’s like it’s not altogether clear that I’m having problems still with understanding what someone said. Ladies’ voices on TV dialogue will seem really overly loud. Then with the men’s, I still can’t quite distinguish what they're saying as well as I'd like. As far as tech support, I had made some remarks conversing with one of the ladies who followed up. I said I’d like to have something that would maybe focus on the crowded loud environments. So allegedly, I got an update and initially, there was a problem with that but it was more server-related on the IT end. Supposedly, there’s been a fix. Nonetheless, my Valentine’s Day gift to my wife would be to not go back to having the TV turned up quite as loudly.

Eargo response

Thank you for your comment about our Class I, FDA-cleared medical devices, Ken. We would suggest reviewing our tips and tricks to all things Eargo here: https://eargo.com/guides. Or, contact our hearing professionals for guidance at 1-800-375-8058 or support@eargo.com for assistance.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I'm crazy about my Eargo hearing aids. Before, I missed a lot of things that people were saying in group and I missed a lot of things my kids were telling me from another room. If they were in the living room and I was in the kitchen then they said something, I couldn't quite make out what they said. So my brain, in the absence of adequate information, would just make stuff up. I've had this hearing loss feeling for almost five years and one day, my kid asked me what dust was made of and my response was, "Oh, stuffed tomatoes, I love those." While it was very funny, it really started to bother me. So, I'm a social worker and there was a woman telling a story one night about her departure from Syria and I could not hear her in spite of how close I got to her. I thought how awful it was that she was finally telling this terrible story and I was not actually able to hear it. And that was it for me.

I made the call the next day and I tried to buy hearing aids online but it didn't work. Then, when I was in a car and I just called the person and said I needed these right now then gave him my credit card number. After, the hearing aids came and I popped them in. I didn't realize when I first tried them on that I had my dishwasher and my washing machine going. So I heard a lot of noise really quickly and it was quite remarkable to be able to hear. Then one time, I went out into the woods and there's a sound that the wind makes at the top of the trees. I realized that I had not heard that sound in many years and it was the coolest thing.

Other than that, I looked at all of the models of hearing aids and the Neo seemed like the newest one. That was what I went with and I also got a lot of support from Eargo when I first got them. They told me to put a little bit of Aloe on them at the insertion so it'd be easier and I cut one of the middle flanges out for one of my ears because it felt too big. Besides that, I love them. I work in schools so I'm often in cafeterias with kids. And it's great to be able to hear people in a crowd and I feel like I'm not missing stuff that I was really bothered by missing. While I don't wear them all the time because I don't always need them, when I use them and I put them in, they're so comfortable. So I really feel that as time has gone by and I've increased my wearing time, they're just a simple part of my life. I love the way they charge, too, and they're so elegantly designed.

Eargo response

We're crazy about your comment, Alice, and happy you're hearing life to the fullest with Eargo!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I was having some hearing difficulties, so I started doing some research on different types of aids. I didn’t wanna go to the hearing aid people because they were terribly overpriced, and they were taking advantage of senior citizens. So, I wanted to do it outside of that system and I started looking at the different things that were available. And so, I chose Eargo. I got the middle style which was right for me. Then, when this one fails, I’ll probably go to the next one up and get a discount on the next set. The batteries are built-in and they told me it only lasts about three years but it has been working good. One day I took them out of the little charger, and put it in my ears, and they wouldn’t activate. They told me to take it out and get a little alcohol on a cloth, and then wipe off the little contacts for the chargers. It probably wasn’t making good contact and didn’t charge up overnight when I charged it.

I've used the hearing aid on number two most of the time. When I get into a big auditorium or where there’s a lot of noise, I might put it to three although I get some feedback. If I move my hand past my ear or something, I would notice and it’s kinda frustrating. If I’m working outside and I’m banging on things, it changes. I have to remember not to bang twice with the hammer because if you hit a nail twice, your hearing aid changes to the next level. That’s one of those quirks that come with it. It’s an aid and it isn’t gonna cure my hearing loss, but it makes life tolerable.

Before I contacted Eargo, my wife was complaining because I wasn’t hearing what she was saying. I know I’ve lost my high pitch hearing years ago because I worked in the auto business, and I couldn’t hear squeaks and rattles anymore, which was kind of a blessing. Also, I have a burglar alarm that sets off a high-pitch squeal when you come into the house to remind you to turn it off, and I couldn’t hear that anymore. So, I figured that’s the part I’m losing, and I still can’t hear it even with this hearing aid on number four. I don’t hear that high-pitch squeal so I probably pretty well lost that part of my hearing completely but the hearing aids help a lot and I’m satisfied with it. Eargo is doing a good job and I was pleased with the experience.

Eargo response

We're happy you're hearing life to the fullest with Eargo, Earl! Please get in touch with your hearing professional should you require support at 1-800-375-8058 or support@eargo.com.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I had 60% hearing loss on the left and maybe 30% on the right. Eargo offered a free trial, and from the research I did from watching the videos and listening to other people’s testimonies, the hearing aids were easy to hide. With my job, it’s one of those things that we think we’re invisible anyway, so we sure as hell don’t wanna show any signs of not being. I got a hearing aid that is one of their best, and it’s 2,500 bucks. The only problem I had, and I noticed that it was a complaint with other customers too, is changing the programs. I only got to wear the Eargos in the time I had them three times. I called the young lady, Megan, and she helped me adjust them and clean them out only after the second time I used them. And for a couple of hours, I noticed a big difference.

I had surgery on my left ear, and they put a tube in. Then for two weeks, and even to right now, I’ve had drainage. So, I wasn’t able to use the hearing aids cause I'm not allowed to use them if I got any moisture in the ear. So, I returned them. My ENT says that my hearing is gonna be greatly improved once I have that tube put in. Plus, my hearing loss is gonna be lower end, where the Eargos help with higher end frequencies. Since the surgery, voices are much clearer. They still sound a little muffled and distant. It’s not as distant as they were, but I hear everything in stereo now. I still got a little bit of drainage from that left ear, and so I take a Q-tip and let it suck that little bit of fluid that’s there. Once that clears up and I don’t have that drainage anymore, then my hearing will improve quite a bit. But I still have to get hearing aids for low-tone frequencies.

For the technology that Eargo offers and the comfort of them, they’re right there at the price point. They’re very comfortable. They’re easy to put in and remove. I like the little charging thing that they have where I could keep them with me at work because I work 24 hours at a time. Most people don’t do that. The hearing aids drain out 18 hours, and then I had to recharge them, but they charged up pretty quickly. When I laid down and I took a nap, I just went ahead and took them out and put them in the charger. So, the couple of times I got to wear them, they lasted all shift. They still could improve a couple of little things. I’m not sure how they would improve changing the programs. Maybe instead of tapping your ear, since they do have the Eargo app, you could link to them through Bluetooth and change the program through Bluetooth. When you’re in some place and you’re trying to tap your ear to change the program, it looks kinda stupid.

Overall, Eargo is amazing. I love their customer service, and the support that they offered was awesome. Even when you call in and you listen to their little advertisement, the company has a very laid back approach. They're very friendly, not like most companies you call. All that was a pleasure to have to deal with. I didn’t have any trouble returning them. They didn’t give me any grief, which I figured they would. I didn’t really understand having to pay the $2,500 upfront. But then again, once that lady explained, it turns out an expensive product, the people don’t return them. Then they’re at a loss for that product. I get that. They charged it to my card. I gotta call today to see if they refunded that as fast as they took it out. Now, if they didn’t, I will be upset about that.

As far as the actual Eargos themselves, I’ll rate them really high the couple of times I got to use them. I wish I’d have got to use them like 30 days straight. I’d definitely recommend Eargo to a friend. If somebody else could use them, on a higher frequency side, they're great. I hope it benefits somebody. I wish it had benefitted me, but it’s a good product. It just didn’t work for me personally, and I hate that.

Eargo response

Thank you for your comment, Anthony. We're happy our team was able to help adjust and clean your devices, and we'd suggest reviewing the videos on caring for your Eargos if you have any questions about maintaining your devices: https://eargo.com/guides. Or, call your hearing professional at 1-800-375-8058.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

After researching hearing aids,I decided to go the the Eargo brand as I liked the idea of the device being in my ear and having the rechargeable base. I will say the customer service was amazing, if fact they switched me back and forth between the Max and the Neo to help me adapt to new sounds. I had a hard time getting use to the tips, and I was sent different ones to try. I began having trouble with one of Neos and the charger with charging my device and holding a charge. Before my year warranty was up, I contacted customer service, I instructed to 'try' different things to get my neos to work.

By then my warranty was up, and I did get a replacement left Neo, but I am left with a charger that does not work with the app and has to be fiddled with to get it to charge. I read somewhere that they work good for a year, then beware. I would recommend asking for an extended warranty if you go with Eargo if they will offer it. Good customer service to help you get use to wearing them, but the product doesn't last. And I take good care of my devices and don't struggle with excess ear wax, which I was told was probably why I may be having trouble.

Eargo response

Hi Vikki. After reviewing your account, I have already sent a message to our Client Care team to reach out to you about your charger. I have authorized a $100 discount be taken off our normal replacement fee on a charger that is out of warranty and we'll guarantee that replacement for a year. I'm happy you've found our customer service and licensed hearing professional team to be helpful, and we'll continue to be here to support you. There are well over 50,000 Eargo customers and we design our hearing aids to be very reliable. That being said a combination of several factors can influence hearing aid and charger performance over the long term from not just Eargo but any hearing aid manufacturer. I promise we'll do our best to make you happy.

Original review: July 31, 2020

My son researched and then, he recommended Eargo to me. I liked that I didn’t have to have batteries in it, which is wonderful. Mostly, the hearing aids amplify the sound but they’re not working now. I just put them in my ear after I recharge them but the last time I tried to put them in, nothing was happening. So I put them back and charged them again although I had charged them overnight. It was probably two weeks ago when it stopped working. I wondered if I should just send them back. I’ve had them for just a month and I still have the box that they came in. But it was fine while they were working. It helped a lot.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Getting my hearing aids was as easy as one, two, three. I called and they said that they could send them to me. Since I’m an ex-government employee, it wouldn’t cost me a penny. So I gave them my insurance and Medicare information. It was the BlueCross BlueShield that paid for them. I got two sets of hearing aids. I got one that the VA gave me and this one. I just alternate them, so I can make sure they have a good charge on them. I wear them every other day.

I can hear better with the hearing aid and when it’s time to go to bed, I forget I got them on. The only thing I find that is still a little annoying is the feedback that I get when I put a phone to my ear or when I lay on a pillow and I turn on my side. I'm an ex-Vietnam vet so my tinnitus and my hearing is shot. I couldn't hear hardly and then, my wife speaks very softly. So, we were the old thing on the old commercial on TV, "Turn down the TV." "I can't hear the damn thing." But now, it's a very big difference. Other than all that screechy noise, they're good. The screechy noise only comes in when my cell phone or the house phone is to my ear. It's not bad and I just have to move the phone around a little bit. I have recommended Eargo to a couple of friends already but I don't know if they've called or not. I told them and that they're free since we’re ex-government employees. I have to follow up with them and see if they ordered some or not.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I'm very happy with the product so far. I can understand conversations a lot better and the range is improved. I like the charger. I like the way they recharge. I wear them about 14 hours a day, every day. I forget I have them in. My wife has to remind me to take them out for a shower.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I had gotten tested a few years back because my coworkers yelled at me that I wasn't hearing them. I did have some hearing loss, which I found out was genetic because I'm in my 40s. Finding out that health insurance does not cover hearing aids and they're expensive, Eargo was pretty much a blessing because it's affordable. I can pay it off. The hearing aids work great. I don't wear them every day, but I mostly wear them when I'm around other people because there's a lot of activity. The whole introduction on how to take care of the hearing aids, how to use them and how they work was awesome. They stay charged for hours. I don't have to charge it all the time. I'm gonna take very good care of them.

I have a little boy and he would say things to me and everything sounded very muffled to me. When I first got the hearing aids, I asked my son to go in the other room and talk normal, so I could see if I could hear him, and I heard him with no problem. Normally, I would not hear him at all, so I wouldn't even know he was talking. I have a dog and I have to cut their nails. Without the hearing aids, I couldn't hear his nails on the floor because then they would get too long. But with the hearing aids, I can hear every little sound hitting the ground. Everything is so much clearer. The first time I was driving with the hearing aids, I thought the wind was something else. But it was because I never heard it before.

I wore the hearing aids to a barbecue of my sister and the wind was coming from wherever, and I was like, "Oh my God, that's just the wind." It was just stuff that I don't normally hear. I hear everything differently. I don't say, "What?" I hear what people are saying. Before, I couldn't make out the words. But with the Eargo, I don't have that problem. So if I know anybody that has hearing loss like I do, I'm definitely gonna recommend Eargo to them.

Eargo Company Information