4.70/5
Based on 10 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Eargo is a health tech company that’s destigmatizing hearing loss through innovation. The company brings a refreshing brand to an archaic industry overrun by inflated prices, needless negotiations, and complex purchasing barriers. For the first time, there’s a brand that provides consumers with a modern buying experience, great technology, and a clear understanding of hearing health. Learn more today about the enhanced auditory experience Eargo has offered millions of people across America.

Eargo Video
Eargo Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

10 Eargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 8, 2019

My hearing loss was partial. I had no trouble on the phone or with people. But I've had a test with an audiologist and discovered that the part of my hearing that is not there is the very high pitches. Apparently that's what this Eargo product is really good at so it was a good step. I chose Eargo because of their website, advertisement, feedback and response. Their customer service is very good. They have all the answers and are very good at explaining what the product is. I realized the product is not a hearing aid. But it has all the things I want. It's rechargeable and it's concealed. Unfortunately, really good hearing aids are not there yet. So we're waiting for that to evolve. In-ear hearing aids are not rechargeable. You have to deal with a battery thing. If you wear a behind-the-ear kind of box, those are rechargeable. So the technology that Eargo has is cutting edge.

I spoke to their audiologist a couple of times about minor things and differences between different models that Eargo has. I started with a Plus and then I went to the Neo, and that's another thing. Two weeks after I had bought the Plus, they came out with an upgrade and they were nice enough to take my original set back, send me the upgrade and let me pay the difference in the price. But they're expensive. I'm sure there's a lot of R&D that went into them and there is a lot of behind the scenes cost. But it's $2,500 for amplifiers and they are not even really hearing aids. That's a lot when you think that for about twice the price, you can get a real hearing aid.

It is not a substitute for a hearing aid. It's a bridge between nothing and the hearing aid. I'm sure that as the years go by and my body gets older, I'm gonna actually need a real hearing aid. But it works for me at this particular point. I can listen to the TV at a lower volume now. I'm not saying "What?" to everybody all the time. My good friends know the difference when I'm wearing them and when I'm not. Also, having used the Plus also for a couple of weeks, I can say the Neo seems to be a little more responsive. It has a little better amplification. Also, if I lose these or if these break, I don't have to pay the $2,500 to get a new pair. Eargo will sell me a new pair because I'm a previous customer for a reduced rate. I think it's around $350. They make everything easy for the consumer.

Eargo response

Thank you for sharing your experience with our Class I, FDA-regulated hearing aids, John. We're happy you're hearing life to the fullest with Eargo!

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 7, 2019

Hearing loss is part of old age. I have partial hearing loss and since I liked Eargo's ads, I went with them. I have the Neo, which seemed to be the most advanced, and it does seem to function pretty good. But it might be a little bit better if I had a bit more customized hearing aid. I would like ones that match exactly what my hearing loss is all about. But the cost is fair and my interactions with the people at Eargo have been very good. They've seemed knowledgeable.

Eargo response

We believe we’re in this together. That’s why we provide licensed, professional support when you need it, wherever you need it. We’re happy to hear about your excellent Eargo Experiences.

Eargo devices are specifically designed for those with a of mild to moderate, high-frequency hearing losses, including hearing loss from noise exposure or simply due to natural aging. This type of hearing loss is very common but is (sadly) rarely treated. That’s where we come in. Each Eargo device has four custom developed Sound Profiles that are built on 30 years of research from the world-renowned National Acoustics Laboratories. These four scientifically-based Sound Profiles cover a wide range of mild to moderate, high-frequency hearing losses and aim to make speech clearer rather than louder.

As you know, our Personal Hearing Professionals are here for you to answer any questions or provide support (technical or otherwise). We're all ears. ChEARs!

Original review: March 6, 2019

My Eargo hearing aids are wonderful. They have really made a difference. My hearing loss was mild to moderate. I didn't have so much trouble hearing people talk but I would frequently misunderstand the words. When someone would say "tree", I would think they said "three". Then when my husband would say something, I wouldn't hear all of that because one of his diseases causes him to be hoarse. I wouldn't hear it because it wouldn't be loud and clear enough.

After I started to wear the hearing aids, I realized how much more clearly I was hearing than I had been before. I didn't realize the degree that there was gonna be that difference. It was surprising to me. I can hear my feet when I walk across the floor on the carpet, and that's one of those noises you don't hear with your regular hearing even when it's good. There are also several other things that you just don't pay any attention to until you get really good hearing and then you notice and wonder, "What is that?" You have to run it down and you find out it's something that's been there forever. So I'm thoroughly delighted with my Eargo. It's an amazing device. I'm so pleased that I ran into the advertisement and decided to give them a try.

When I ran into Eargo's advertisement initially, I thought it sounded like it would be so convenient and easy to use. I wanted to at least to try them on a trial basis. So I contacted them and the more we talked, the more I decided. I was also pretty confident that if I could hear well enough, I would like one enough to keep them. They sent me a set and I wore them for about a month. But my ears got to where they were itching. I mentioned that to the audiologist who was assigned to me and she named some drops you can put on the little fibers. She said that I could try those and sent me a sample. I tried them and it worked. So I ordered some and started using that.

But when I went to the doctor for a regular check-up and she looked at my ears, she said both my ears were infected. So then I began to doubt. I thought it was the hearing aids and that I was not gonna be able to keep them. I had to stop using them for a couple of weeks. I took the medications from the doctor and cleared up the infection. On the follow-up visit, I asked if the hearing aids could have caused the infection and the doctor said no. She said that it was not the kind of infection that an exterior thing would have caused. It was a virus and when it gets in your ears, that gives you an ear infection. So that made my day.

I love my Eargo hearing aids. My audiologist also sent me the new tips, Palms, and I love them. I put them on and they don't bother my ears. I don't know they're in there. I can hear and adjust the sound. I also try to keep the hearing aids in as good condition as I can. I keep it cleaned regularly and charged, the filters changed and my ears as clean as possible. And they have not given me one minute of trouble of any kind. I'm just delighted with them.

Eargo response

We're thoroughly delighted with your comment, Norma. ChEARs!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've been a disc jockey for 50 years so I've had a lot of loud noise coming at my head in a lot of different ways over a lot of different speakers over the years. My hearing loss was mild to moderate and then my wife spotted Eargo. They ran a TV ad that we caught on CNN and TIME magazine picked it up. I caught a review of it from CES plus it was half the price. I got he Neo style and they seem to work really well now. When I put the hearing aids in, I don't even notice they're there, except for an occasional feedback loop in one of them. But I'm still working on getting that positioned right.

The sales and customer service have been great all the way down the line even after I mentioned that I would seriously consider working there. The person I first spoke with was Susan and she told their HR people. The HR got ahold of me two days later and we chatted about it. Since having the hearing aids, every third word coming out of my mouth isn't, "What?"

Eargo response

Thanks for your comment, Edward. Your Personal Hearing Professional can walk you through properly placing our modern hearing aids in your ear so they work as well as we designed them to. We're all ears to help yours hear life to the fullest. Groove on, Groover!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Before, I couldn't catch everything that people had to say and a lot of times, the TV had to be turned up louder. But when I got hearing aids from Eargo, my hearing has been a whole world better than it was before. Initially, I went with them since they don't have the batteries. I have the Neo style and it takes some getting used to. In the beginning, there was a tinny sound until I found where I needed the hearing aids to be. Also, if I scratch my ears, sometimes, they will make noises. I'm still experimenting with the stages, which one that I need to be in, but my husband is happy and now I don't have to have the TV on super loud when he goes to sleep.

The gentleman from Eargo who I spoke with was really good. He wasn't pushy and bossy. He gave me his number if I wanted to call him back, which I did since my husband and my daughter said it was time to do something. So, the hearing aids came at the right time. And the cost was about where I thought it would be and it was a real blessing that I have insurance that will reimburse us. All in all, my experience with Eargo has been great.

Eargo response

Georgianne, we'd suggest giving your Personal Hearing Professional a call to learn more about acclimating to wearing Eargo Neo, and for advice on which Sound Program may work best throughout your day, whether you're watching TV or your husband snore (allegedly, of course).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?

Original review: March 3, 2019

I've had hearing aids for a couple of years now. Initially, I saw an email from Eargo and I answered it. Also, I was in San Francisco, so I tried a pair there and really liked them. So, I ordered a pair and their customer service had been excellent. Their follow up had been outstanding plus they kept me in the loop as to when and where the hearing aids were gonna be. They also made sure that if I had any questions, I knew who to call.

Aside from that, Eargo's hearing aids were less expensive than anything I had on before. I was a little apprehensive about them at first because usually, you get what you pay for. But I feel like I got like a lot more than what I actually paid for. I also gave a referral to a lady that works for me who was concerned because of the cost. But I convinced her to call them and they told her that they have a payment plan. So, they have been extremely responsive and they got her all fixed up, too.

Eargo response

Eargo costs about 52% less than the average traditional behind-the-ear hearing aid. We offer our clients options to finance our hearing aids from as low as $90/month so they can hear more of life for less. Happy hearing, Henry!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have moderate hearing loss in the high frequencies and I did a lot of research to find out which hearing aid was available that would go inside the ear for less visibility. I didn't want one that goes behind the ear or have wires hanging out. The Eargo product does that and all the consumer comments that were available online were very supportive of what my needs were. So, after checking at least a dozen companies, I decided to purchase from Eargo and I have been very pleased. They have a fantastic customer service support particularly after I decided to go with them. And when I got the product, they were very responsive. They were calling me to make sure it was working and that I was getting used to having the device inside my ear. I also had a direct contact with the audiologist that was assigned tome and I found that to be excellent.

Their hearing aid is a very good product as well and I highly recommend it. Plus, its price is much cheaper than going through the conventional type hearing aid devices that a lot of the other hearing aid specialists offer. And in my study, I found them to be more affordable than the other products that were on the market that I viewed to be inferior to the Eargo hearing aid because they either were behind the ear or they didn't have the same type of construction to go inside the ear. And yet, I am still able to hear other sounds with my Eargo hearing aid, so it has been processed for the higher-pitched frequencies that I had the trouble hearing in. Since I got it, my wife stopped cursing at me for ignoring her and when I'm in a restaurant or in business settings, I have a better understanding of the discussions.

Eargo response

We work hard to keep your hearing loss under wraps, Bill. ChEARs!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have a minor hearing loss and before, I had some hearing aids from AccuQuest. They're local and because of that, I could go back over there and they make adjustments to the hearing aids. For a while, the hearing aids were all right but eventually, my warranty ran out and they weren't working properly. They're junk and they put me off until after the warranty was up. So, I switched to Eargo's. I'm from Raleigh and they have no one in Raleigh area, so I purchased them all by telephone. They're great and I love them.

The original hearing aids I got from Eargo worked fine but they just wouldn't keep working. So, I got my second pair and I have no problem with them. They're also cheaper than the ones I got from AccuQuest and so far, these Eargo hearing aids are the best ones I've had. I'm still in the first 45 days that I can send them back and get my money back but I don't plan on doing that.

Other than that, Eargo's customer service has been great. I can call and talk to them anytime I care to talk to them, and they'll give me whatever I want. They're also very friendly and no one wants to put you off. The only thing is, they're not local and I can't go see someone in person. But that's okay. The hearings aids are beautiful and they do exactly what they should be doing which is making speech clearer. Eargo's a great company, too, and I couldn't be more satisfied. Their hearing aids are perfect for someone who isn't profoundly deaf or can hear but can't understand like me. Aside from that, the sounds I get from the hearing aids sound real while some of the other ones I had from the other company didn't. The sounds that came out of that sounded fake and I was never able to hear well.

Eargo response

We believe that taking on life means that there’s no time to waste. That’s why we’ve completely redesigned the hearing solution journey. Everything is done online or over the phone. No hassles. No appointments. No disappointments. With Eargo, you’re in the driver’s seat.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Before contacting Eargo, my hearing loss was moderate. I wanted the best that they had and I ended up choosing the Max style. Their product is in my ear all the way and not hanging off the back of my ear. Its functionality is excellent and I can hear a little better with it. The cost is good and worthwhile as well. Their customer service team checked on me several times and made sure everything worked properly. I like the Eargo company and their product.

Eargo response

Thank you for sharing your excellent Eargo experience, Dan. Happy hearing!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I had problems with conversation especially if there was any background noise. My hearing loss was not major. It was something I didn't even notice until I wore the Eargo hearing aids and then I realized how much I was missing. I like the technical build of the product and it's different since it's smaller and has the Flexi Palms to hold it in the ear. It's not also visible when I have them in my ear. When I put it the first time, it was amazing. Now, I understand words better in business meetings. At home, things are better with my wife.

The sales and customer service have all been top-notch. When I had issues with the first set, they were right on it and sent me replacement pieces. Any time that I've contacted them, I've been contacted back within a day. I also change styles to keep up with the technology. I started with a Plus model then I went to the Neo and now I'm wearing Max. It's a good value for the price.

Eargo response

Our Flexi Palms are basically paradise for your ears. (Tropical drink not included). Happy hearing, Brian!

Eargo expert review by Shelley Webb

These small rechargeable hearing aids are designed for people with mild to moderate hearing loss. The company is focused on comfort and discretion to make hearing aids that can help everyone. You can order them online and have them delivered right to your door without making a special trip to the doctor.

• Easy to order: You don’t need to go to an audiologist before ordering your Eargo hearing aids. Simply call or place your order online and wait for them to show up at your door.

• No hearing test required: A hearing test is optional before you buy a pair of Eargos. The hearing aids are designed for people with mild to moderate hearing loss, so if you fit in that category, they will likely work for you.

• High-quality features for improved sound: Eargo hearing aids have high-quality features so you don’t just hear more–you hear better. Features include noise reduction, feedback cancellation, and Bluetooth enablement.

• Comfortable fit: Eargo hearing aids are made from silicone, not plastic, and are designed in a way that allows air to flow into your ear canal. You won’t even remember you’re wearing them.

• Sound amplification: Eargo hearing aids amplify sound within your sight view rather than behind your ears, which is what many other sound amplifiers do. This gives you a richer hearing experience and ensures you don’t miss anything.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Eargo Company Information