Sleep Number

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Select Comfort - Sleep Number

We're glad you love it, Mike! Thanks so much for choosing the Sleep Number® bed.

Sincerely,

Alan S

Online Customer Care

Original review: June 18, 2016

We heard really good things about Sleep Number and our mattress was about 10 years old. So, it was time to make a change and we decided to give Sleep Number a shot. We love the overall quality. The sales professionals were very informative, took their time, made sure we had all of our questions answered, and everything they said that was gonna happen came through. It was delivered faster than what we had anticipated and the delivery team was fantastic. We're overall very pleased with it.

NEW AirFit pillow. I was chosen in a Smiley360 mission to try this pillow, and let me tell you... IT IS AWESOME!!! Since I have had it, I have had the best night sleep in years!!! If you want pure supporting comfort, and love a cool pillow, this one is for YOU!!! Thank you Smiley360.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Some friends of ours had a Sleep Number and we went by their recommendation. I like the different settings on it and being able to adjust it to my needs. The sales reps and the people who came to set it up were good. We had no problems. I've had the bed for about a year now and so far, it's good.

Terrible customer service, quality has gone downhill and this is not the same company as it used to be. This is my 2nd and LAST Sleep Number bed. My expensive king P5 bed is a piece of junk and they will really do nothing to help me. Called "customer service" only to be put on hold a million times and wait on hold to even talk to a rep for more than 20 mins... This company is a JOKE!!!

The customer service rep was great. The only thing I that should be improved is the delivery speed. My mattress pad no longer protects my investment. With an infant son that sometimes sleeps with us a total protection mattress pad is very necessary. I have been waiting 8 days and UPS ground still doesn't say when it will be delivered. Please add some more urgent delivery options for failed products.

My back has problems, this bed is suitable for constant altering. The overall mattress structure is lacking in the foam collapsing. After just months of use the bed started to look several years old. The foam is broken down and basically only structurally sound from the air chamber.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Comfort?

I have a split king adjustable that cost $6,000 three years ago. In year one we called and asked for someone to come out and find out why our almost new bed was caved in on one side and even fully inflated on the other side, felt like a waterbed. We were told it would cost $175 to have someone come out. We didn't think this was fair as the bed was so new. Have been trying since to get help. Not right to charge us for obvious defects.

Hoping the bed outweighs the cost and customer service after purchase!! Seems like once we signed the CS went out the door! Here is my story! A few weeks ago we decided to invest (and I mean INVEST) in a Sleep Number. When we went into the store the Bennie, the sales associate (SA) was nice and helpful. We took the information he gave us (after asking a lot of clarifying questions) and left for a while, pondering the information, the cost, our need, and desires. We then decided to do it. This was NOT a light decision for us given the price of the beds. I would not consider myself cheap, but I do put a lot of thought into my purchases, even small ones. We had been told and heard the beds are fabulous, so we went for it.

After signing the papers, we left very excited. Again, I am not one to take a purchase lightly so I went home and was going through everything and realize there was a discrepancy between what we were told and explained & what was invoiced. I decided to go back to the store (across town) to talk to Bennie, because he had been so helpful. To this point, I was feeling good service had been great. When I went in there was a different SA, Paul. Paul not only told me something completely different, he proceeded to try to argue and convince me that I just did not understand. I left feeling very frustrated and decided to call Bennie the next day, because I wanted to get some clarification and had asked the questions with the initial purchase. When I was finally able to speak with Bennie, he proceeded to explain what he said in the store, which still did not add up, but at that point, I was so frustrated that I gave up trying to talk.

One item that upset me the most about the entire situation was that they were both telling me different things; they were not even giving me the SAME message. Even if I did misunderstand when I purchased the bed, neither seemed to care how upset I was nor did they bother to listen to me. They both seemed more interested in stating they were right, not trying to explain or make me feel better about purchasing from their store. At this point dropped it, I was not getting anywhere and I was honestly wasting breath. Now, fast forward a few weeks when the bed is supposed to be delivered. When ordering the bed Bennie asked us to pick a delivery time (8-12 or 12-4). We did picked a time and he explained we would get a confirmation. I took the day off work; we got an email saying our bed was set to be delivered, so we thought nothing more of it.

After waiting around until there was 30 minutes left in our time period I decided to look our delivery up. The system was not working, but noticed there was a chat live, so I decided to start there. I asked Alia the rep if she would be able to tell me when I could expect the bed and explained the situation. Her response was that if the store told us a time they should not have that times are not set until the day before. Enough said, she gave me another number that I could call to see for home delivery. I had to ask her if she was a robot (self-generated messages) because the conversation just seemed, again, scripted.

At this point, I was SOOO upset I called the number she gave me in tears. The rep I spoke with, Corey, was very sincere and helpful. He did tell me that the delivery time was changed from 8AM-12PM TO 4PM-8PM. I took the day off work to be there in the AM, and I was not notified of this change. He told me that I should have gotten a generated message, neither my husband nor I did (I verified both numbers and looked at the call logs on both phones). I took an entire day off work and had no idea that the bed was not even supposed to be at my place until late afternoon. In any case a generated message should not be sufficient, they should talk to someone. I had no missed calls or messages, and now down work hours.

Here is the point to my long post... I honestly feel that after the sale, customer service went to the dogs - it felt like in the store, they got my money, commission and they did not care anymore. The phone reps were great. Please do not get me wrong. But I would expect more from someone who just sold me a $3k Plus bed. The pricing including extras and delivery should be clearer. Bennie told me I was not paying for delivery and Paul told me it was because my bed was on sale. They are both sales persons, they need to be consistent. If you can NOT set a delivery time and there is really NO time until the day of the sales associate should not GIVE you a choice of delivery times. They should give you a DAY and tell you someone (IT SHOULD BE A PERSON) will call the day of with a time. They need to make you aware of this. I am fortunate I could use my PTO time but not everyone has that available.

I am still giving this a chance because I have heard good things about the bed and both my husband and I need the back support. My husband is on third shift and we are trying to get him more quality sleep with less sleep. The customer service reps on the phone were VERY nice and willing to help. Again, they were great. Our bed is finally here and up. NOW I can only hope it is worth the money because heaven forbid I need their customer service for any issues.

I had a great experience in store with my sales consultant. Waiting on my delivery was a downer because I couldn't have a delivery until about 3 weeks out. On my delivery day the delivery team did an excellent job with everything!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a Sleep Number before and got rid of it but I missed it. So, I got another one and this time, I bought the one chamber without a division in it. I love the quality of the bed. It was also very good with the sales professionals and the delivery was very efficient and quick.

I have been looking at beds for a number of years. I finally decided to make the purchase after being very ill the last part of 2016. The first store I went to the guy treated me as though I couldn't possibly afford it. So I went to the other store in my area. The young man was awesome. He got my sale.

Buyer Beware, you do not want to buy a Sleep Number Bed. You are told that you will have the best sleep of your life and that the bed will stop yours and/or your partners snoring. Not true! There are actually two positions on the remote for Snore and Partner Snore. This was the selling point for us to purchase the bed. We bought the bed and continued to have problems with snoring for both of us. There was no reduction in the snoring.

Furthermore, you are guaranteed that you can return the bed if you are not completely satisfied after 100 days. Partially true. What you probably dont remember is you can only return the bed, not the base that you have to buy in order to use the bed. The base is fully connected to the bed and remote controls. What good is the base without the bed? Make sure you fully understand that you cannot return the base. You own it because they will not take it back. As was in our case, we bought the split-king and had a hard time sleeping in the bed. It took more than two weeks after our agreed upon delivery date to get the bed. We actually got a bill for the bed before we received it.

We informed Sleep Number we wanted to return the bed within three weeks. The bed is too high off of the floor which makes it impossible to sit on the side without breaking down the side panels. We constantly felt that we were rolling out of the bed because it is higher in the middle. The bed did nothing to relieve our snoring. It took over four weeks to get the bed returned to Sleep Number and we had to pay for the return shipping service. We are still out over $4000 for a base we cannot use, not to mention the cost of the return. We do not recommend this bed to anyone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a Tempur-Pedic mattress, one of the top-of-the-lines, and I wanted to try a couple of the Sleep Numbers to compare because I believe in good sleep for everyone. My wife and I bought two Sleep Number beds with the base and all the electronics with it, and we definitely think they are superior. They're for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and they both love them. However, we did not like the first saleslady. She was too strong and pushy. We left that store and I knew I wanted that bed, so we went to a different store, and the salesperson there was not as pushy and was more educational. We also saved money because we caught the first saleslady lying too. Apart from that, the installation was perfect. Overall, it's a good product and I tell everybody about it. It's very comparable, if not better, than the Tempur-Pedic. I would like to get one for myself too, eventually.

The sales and Help Desk were courteous, professional, knowledgeable. They took that extra step to get me the information I needed. They had a lot of patience with me and made my day. I am so happy you have people from the United States; they know how to communicate. Thank you for a great staff.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed a new bed and heard Sleep Number via a radio show guy that I liked a lot. The advertisement made me think it was the best thing since sliced bread so I tried it. I then got a queen-sized bed which was on sale. I've been sleeping on it now for six months but I don't exactly like that I wanted to have a soft bed but when I sit on it, I sink down when I'm trying to put my shoes on. I have to pump it up to a hundred to make it hard. So I am somewhat dissatisfied. The experience has been okay but not fabulous.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went in the store knowing what I wanted because the Sleep Number was on sale. I bought the c2 mattress as well as the base and I'm happy with the quality. However, I wish it was easier to find my number in the beginning. It took me months to find the one I was happy with. Other than that, it's a good bed.

My husband and I purchased our Ultra 3 bed back in 1998. In 2010 we were having problems with one side of the bed going flat so we took it apart to investigate. At that time we noticed that the internal foam and the air chambers were very moldy. I contacted Select Comfort support and told them what happened. They said that at that time the beds were not treated for mold and that they would replace the two components free of charge. At the time I thought how honorable. The real problem however was that because none was mold resistant the whole bed should have been replaced. I was not instructed by the customer service representative to inspect the pillow topper carefully for mold. But now I know, I had noticed some mildew and used heavily diluted bleach water to clean.

So long story short, is that this whole mess is costing us $883.43, buyer be very mindful. I love my bed but wish that I would have been told, or that everything would have been replaced in 2010. I went from being the happiest customer to one that is pretty dissatisfied. Yes they gave me a discount, but had they advised me to check everything out carefully or just replaced the whole bed as it was not mold resistant in 2010, I wouldn't be here very disappointed and out a bunch of money. I asked to speak with the lead to plead my case but per the gal that was on the phone she wouldn't take my call. I don't believe that is very good customer service. I don't know if I'm being realistic here or not, but I don't think that what they did was right, mold is a serious issue. Is there any way that I could get some of if not all of that money back?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A year ago, we got a mattress from them and the sales reps were helpful. It's improved my wife's sleep but it doesn't seem to be a good solution for a person who sleeps on their belly. It's quite painful. If you're weighted heavier in the middle, it allows your stomach to go down into the mattress and it concaves your back. Then, if you harden it up to account for that, then you have your back being arched. But it's been fine so far. Sleep Number resolved a problem that we had with the mattress which was sagging in the middle and had our body shape embedded into it. I also have noticed the loss of air in one of the sides but it doesn't seem to be a persistent problem. I would buy another one if I needed another bed.

We are very excited to enjoy our new mattress. We had great experience with the staff. They were very busy but met all of our needs. Financing was a plus for us because we only have one income for the household and baby number two is on the way. We are hoping the shipping day comes quick.

I purchased a Limited Edition Innovation bed with adjustable base, and sleep IQ technology for an extra $300, paid total $8,000.00 2 years ago. The mattress is hanging off the base leaving a gap of 9-12 inches in the middle of the bed and you falling off the bed or hanging on to it when using. I started notifying Sleep Number at 3 months. The mattress has been replaced entirely once under warranty within the first 2 year with additional items, shark bites that bolt and hold the mattress more effectively acknowledging to me a defect issue they have with this product. The problem has reoccurred. Since second round, the same constant manufacturing issue, I asked for an upgraded mattress to be fair that maybe doesn't have this issue paying a prorated rate plus a discount for this inconvenience of their manufacturing issue.

A Select Comfort supervisor offered to replace the same components again for the tune of $690.66 since now we are two days over the 2 year warranty and now I'm in prorate years. I was told to fill the mattress to 100 every time I wanted to get in and before I got out of bed, so not doing this! So after paying $8000.00 for a bed, I have to pay an additional $690.66 per year to fix the manufacturing issue with the mattress every year, and it's prorated my friends, so that price will increase every year, Sleep Number befitting. I told her to email me how much I have to pay to fix said issue in writing as this was unacceptable to me as most likely it will not resolve the problem being replaced already. Currently contemplating my next move.

We purchased a Sleep Number Bed from the "Greens" in Beavercreek, Ohio in 2015. My wife included two pillows with the purchase of the bed. She specifically asked the salesperson if she could return the pillows if she did not like them. The pillows were basically crap (Low quality and expensive). When we tried to return the pillows, we were informed we could not return them unless they were defective. They were not so much defective as inferior quality. Also, my Sleep Number computer quit working and Tech Support was not able to remedy the situation. Two star rating at best. Would not recommend your product to anyone!

I didn't understand why they couldn't take away our old waterbed box foundation. It was wood base with quilted sides. We broke it down, brought it downstairs and disposed of the other pieces. They should have taken it for us.

Thank you!!! I am able to sleep through the night... Something I've not done for a very long time. And my joints don't hurt like they did in the past. I used to get up one to two times a night or every two hours. Now, I sleep through the night, more often than not.

Rudy ** was exceptional. He gave us a pressure free quote on Friday and here it is Sunday and we are about to place our order. The p5 is so extremely comfortable, and Rudy helped us make appropriate choices for extras that weren't too outrageous but will complement our bed and give us a great sleep experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed a new mattress and my back was hurting. I got a Sleep Number and had it delivered. I was out in Pennsylvania and they weren’t supposed to deliver it until after I got back. But when I got back, the mattress was already sitting here, so I was not pleased with that. I spoke to them and they told me they had no control over it, which is stupid because they should be able to tell you a date which they can ship no later than that date. Apparently that didn’t happen and they said they couldn’t do that. Other than that and the delivery fees, the bed is excellent. I got a sheet, too, when they went on sale.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The people at Sleep number were professional, helpful and got me what I needed. My boyfriend and I had back pains, and we decided to make a purchase from them. We bought a king size mattress, a pillow, sheets, bed cover and I’m planning on getting the base at some point. I had the items delivered and they set it up. My boyfriend said they were very quick, good and everything went well. They were also right on time. I like our Sleep Number bed very much and have recommended it to friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got a Sleep Number because of a referral and it's definitely better than my last bed. I remember the sales rep being very informative and friendly. I’m happy about the quality of the bed and will most likely purchase another bed from there.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A year ago, we were needing a new mattress and springs. My cousin had bought a Sleep Number and she told us about it. So we came up and looked at the product, and my daughter and I both bought one. The sales reps helped us make the selection. The delivery guys who set the bed up were nice. However, the bed sits in front of a window and it's very inconvenient. I would never buy another one that I couldn’t move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We did not like the comfort of our old mattress and my wife and I wanted something wherein we can adjust our own sides, so we purchased a Sleep Number bed. We got the bed that is adjustable as far as the height. The sale rep was very informative, and everything went fine. We wanted to try the ones on the sample floor and see what the actions were. So, that’s what we did. And their delivery team gave us a whole bunch of information. My wife loves our Sleep Number bed, however, I do not like it. I am sleeping in a recliner. I can’t find a position and I can’t find a number and I’ve tried every adjustment. When it got to where the numbers seemed right, it felt like I was always falling out. It just didn’t work for me, but the experience was fine. In addition, I haven’t had anybody else I talked to that didn’t like it, and we talked to a lot of people before we got it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was time to buy a mattress and there was a good recommendation from a co-worker who got a Sleep Number for a while. So I bought one and I like it better than my old bed. It's more comfortable. The sales reps were also courteous and answered all my questions. They weren’t very pushy in selling and that was quite impressive. I had the bed delivered and that was a pleasant experience as well. They came and did their job. They also taught us simple instructions before they left. I feel good about the bed. The softness or hardness of the bed needs to be adjusted for different reasons whether the part of the body is sore or feeling tired or tough.

Anybody considering buying a Sleep Number be aware of the fact that you are totally at the mercy of the company's delivery department as to when you will get your bed. A friend of mine ordered a bed from the same store and the same salesman. She was given a delivery date of 4 days after sale. I was given a delivery date of 22 days after sale. We only live 8 miles apart. I called customer service and asked for a better date. They told me they were at the mercy of the delivery department.

Today I received a call to verify delivery on Tuesday. Today being Friday. It just so happens that there may be a major snow storm in my area. When I spoke to the delivery department they said that they will make every attempt to deliver but if they cannot they will give me the next available date. Not mind you the very next day, but the next available day. In other words you will get your bed whenever we damn well deliver it. My suggestion is to make your purchase contingent on a delivery date of your choosing not theirs. This may or may not help.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number Company Profile