Select Comfort - Sleep Number
Call toll free
3.68/5
Based on 979 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Sleep Number, our mission is to improve lives by individualizing sleep experiences. We are here to help you sleep better with a collection of adjustable beds, mattresses, comforters, bedding sets, pillows and more. We invite you to discover what millions have already experienced - a truly individualized sleep experience for your coziest, most personalized sleep ever. Come talk to our sleep specialists in one of more than 425 mattress stores near you and find the best sleep solution with our Sleep Number beds, comfortable pillows and more. For more information & to make purchases online or over the phone, visit www.sleepnumber.com or give us a call! Know better sleep with Sleep Number.

Select Comfort Gallery (15)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7576 Select Comfort - Sleep Number Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

My wife and I were having some discomfort in our hips because we’re side sleepers and we thought it would be good to try the Sleep Number bed. We’ve had one years and years ago, but that was very different than what we bought this time. Their sales reps were terrific and very helpful. We scheduled for home delivery and the guys who came out were fantastic. We like the bed a lot. Since using it, there's been a big difference.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 14, 2018

Greg, from the very start, was 100% PROfessional! This dude knows the Sleep Number Brand, better than the infomercial! What was so cool about this purchase was the process of experiencing the bed while having a knowledgeable employee to interact with. If we had a question, Greg had an answer. While laying on the bed, I could look up at The visual proof that showed the before and after images of my back. When I first laid down, The Sleep Number was set to 100. At this point, I felt comfortable to be completely honest. Greg lowered the setting and I began to feel like I was closer to being in my hammock back home. After some tryin' time, I ended up with a number 30. Then Greg adjusted the Sleep Number back to 100 and it felt like I was laying on the mofo ground. Anyways, The Sleep Number Bed is a bed worth checking out. Oh yeah, the warranty ain't bad either.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I am unhappy with my Sleep Number Bed. I am in the process of trying to return it. YOU CAN ONLY RETURN THE MATTRESS. THEY WILL NOT TAKE THE $3000 BASE. Please know that before "trying" the bed. I would have never bought it had I known this. They have the legal bases covered. I just don't understand if you have such a great product why the trickery? Put on your website that the base is nonrefundable!

Original review: July 12, 2018

The people at the Monroe, LA store where very helpful in finding exactly what I needed to help ease my back pain. My sleep number is 40 and it still amazes me how it has really improved my sleeping experience. Thanks again to the people at Sleep Number!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have owned my Sleep Number bed for about 3 years and absolutely love it. We are building a new house and I'm living in a travel until the house is complete. That is why I am purchasing a bed for my travel trailer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Comfort?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Seriously, we've only had our new bed for 2 days. We are both really surprised at how well we've both slept. Hmmm, I honestly can't find anything to gripe about! Lol. Although it is very early to give a true test, we are very happy with how easy and fun the buying process was. We had a great sales associate, Mark at the Denton Texas store. And the two young men that delivered and educated us were very kind and friendly and it was a pleasure to watch them do the setup. It was as if they do this every day. Lol. They were very professional and fun with the whole set up and instructional process. They honestly made me think that I might want to work for Sleep Number!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I purchased my original bed in 1998 when they were still branded "Select Comfort" and I absolutely loved it. I recently purchased a replacement because I lost the first one in a fire. I cannot believe the advances that have been made by Sleep Number! My new P6 360 best is absolutely amazing! The new bed not only has adjustable firmness but it actually "learns" your sleeping habits when you use the "Sleep IQ" program on your smart phone or tablet. Combined with the new comfort layers on the bed top, this bed truly blows the competition out of the water!

It will even adjust automatically if you roll from you back to your side (or any number positions) to keep your spine aligned properly. It drastically reduces all pressure points. And don't forget that the beds are double-sided so you and your partner can have completely different settings and experiences. It's like 2 beds in 1. I couldn't be happier with my new Queen Size Sleep Number P6 360 Bed with Sleep IQ Technology!

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Glad you're loving your bed, Benjamin :-) Keep up the great sleep!

Original review: July 11, 2018

We purchased an i10 360 smart bed in late April and have had constant issues with the bed controls. Customer service has been difficult to work with in resolving these issues. They send technicians to fix the bed and as soon as they leave the problem arises again. Their solution is to unplug the bed and wait 10 secs and plug it back in again while removing and re-inserting the remote batteries. I am beginning to believe that this is a dumb bed! Customer services blames the problem on the base manufacturer who says the error codes are not coming from their base component but coming from the mattress controls.

Last Friday their technicians came again to install replacement parts only to find out that some of the parts sent to us are the wrong ones and when they left the pump was not connected to the mattress. Home delivery was suppose to call us to send technicians back but as of right now, no call. Also, they previously sent the headboard brackets I ordered, but only one bracket was included in the box and I had to wait for another package to be sent. I never received the warranties for the bed and base components and did not know that Sleep Number does not provide or support the base component; Leggett and Platt does.

We will have to eat the cost of the base, $3000 if we return the rest of the bed however, the flex-fit base is usable on any mattress that operates with an adjustable base. We also have a new i8 bed and are so disappointed with the customer service, we are now looking into 2 alternative beds since we are within the return period for each. These Sleep Number beds are not as comfortable as we thought they would be; they are just adequate. I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing a Sleep Number bed to do your research and think twice before buying one.

Original review: July 10, 2018

We purchased the Sleep Number bed and openly explained to the salesperson that we were moving overseas. I voiced concern over needing to make repairs of any sort. We were assured we would be able to get repair parts overseas. After a week of sleeping on the bed we are not satisfied with our purchase. The other part the salesperson left out is we have to sleep on the mattress for 30 days before return. Unfortunately that will not leave us with enough time to test drive another mattress.

We now know after doing some research, that the warranty will not be valid overseas leaving us in a catch 22. Stuck with a mattress for 30 days, leaving us in a rough spot headed overseas and now with the warranty issue. Clarification should be far more available and the service people should be aware of more information and better trained. We have enough stresses with moving overseas as it is and this is really stressful having such a large purchase needing to returned over our heads. We also made the mistake of buying the FlexFit base so we will be biting the bullet on that huge mistake. Writing this review to prevent other active duty folk from potentially making the same mistake.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Amanda. We'd like to look into your concerns, so when you're ready, please give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F or from 8:30AM-5PM on Saturdays.

Original review: July 10, 2018

We got our second Sleep Number bed and we've had it for two months now. We like the new technology. Our older bed had everything on the floor and wires all over while the second one has all the wires on its sides and on the head. It also lets me know how I'm sleeping and gives me suggestions on what to do. We dealt with everybody at the Sleep Number store and they were excellent. Also, the delivery team went above and beyond their job. Our Sleep Number experience has been fantastic.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 9, 2018

SleepNumber 3000 - There is no quality control and quality assurance at this company when ordering a head rise. They would not issue a refund on the lift part of the bed ($1800) or make us whole by giving us the plastic foundation that they took away. The head rise addition makes your back break in the morning. The case manager said that's impossible.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Kathleen and we'd like to help you get more comfortable. Please give us a call at 1-800-344-6561 8AM-9PM CST M-F, 9AM-7PM Saturdays or from 10AM-6:30PM Sundays and we'll get started.

Original review: July 8, 2018

We are a first time Sleep Number purchaser. Their Delivery service was prompt and professional. We were contacted approximately 1 hour prior to delivery. And installation went smoothly. We were totally satisfied with our first night on our New Sleep Number P5 mattress. Here’s looking forward to many nights of good sleep!

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Glad you're loving your new bed, Christopher :-)

Original review: July 8, 2018

Good Evening, Over the past few months I have been educating myself about mattresses in order to make a smart purchase. I have MS so there were multiple reasons I made your Sleep Number my final decision. My Wife and I visited your store on the Boston Post Road in Milford CT on July 7 2018. We were immediately approached by Randy who was to be our sales representative. As a Manager at a BMW center I understand the importance of creating an experience for your clients. Your facility is wonderful and exactly what I would expect to make a client feel comfortable during the process. Randy should be considered an asset to your Company as he exceeded my expectations.

As mentioned earlier I have MS which has me utilizing a wheelchair. This complicated the sale but every question or concern was handled professionally with patience and empathy. In addition there were two other Ladies working that obviously possessed a great attitude for a retail environment. We decided to make the purchase and while it was being finalized I excused myself to use the restroom. Not surprisingly the restroom was clean, well lit and easily handicap accessible. While using the safety handrails to assist me to stand I hit my head on a storage cabinet on the wall. The impact was hard enough to briefly disorient me and draw blood. I rejoined my Wife and Randy at the sales counter to complete the sale. The two Ladies I mentioned earlier were at the sales terminal also.

As we conversed I was informed that one of the Ladies also struck her head on the same cabinet giving her a concussion. She was apparently on workers compensation due to this injury but I didn’t pursue any further details. At this time a third Lady approached and without introducing herself informed Randy that an incident report had to be completed. Without any eye contact, empathy or concern she asked if I required medical attention. I declined and as abruptly as she entered the area she went back to the aft of the store.

When she left it was divulged that she was indeed the Manager of this location. A sincere apology was absolutely in order let alone the courtesy of an introduction and a thank you for my purchase? Please commend Randy and the two Ladies for a job well done, I have contacted my Neurologist and he requested that I go in to his office tomorrow 7/8/2018 so he may look me over. The courtesy of a phone call would be appreciated.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your feedback, David. If you ever have any questions for us, please give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 7, 2018

This P6 really isn't working for me. With Sleep Number at 90, my lower back is really sore in the morning. When at the store, my recommended setting was 100, though that seemed a little too firm so lowered to 90. After a week, the lower back pain was getting worse. Talked to a comfort specialist and also went into the store again, this time they recommended a setting of 40. Tried that out and was even more restless in bed and took a longer time to fall asleep than with the higher setting. Now the middle of my back is sore. Don't like the wave or waterbed motion when I move in the bed. It really doesn't feel much different than a $50 dollar air mattress. Have no confidence that I will ever get a good nights sleep in this bed. Will be returning this bed, and going back to an inner coil spring mattress, in which me and my wife sleep much better.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for giving our beds a try, Alan. If you ever have any questions for us, please give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F.

Original review: July 5, 2018

We’ve been using Sleep Number bed for 2+ years, and the strong rubber odor that comes with it still hasn’t gone away. On the contrary, the smell seems to be getting even worse, making my wife and myself hard to fall asleep on it. In the beginning we’ve used a waterproof bed sheet to cover the bed so the smell wasn’t as strong, but we could still smell the rubber so we wanted to do something more, and that’s when we put the chamber outdoor for weeks hoping the smell would go away, but none of it did. What’s worse, we don't know if the chemical is toxic. Moreover, the smell seems to stick and it’s all over our bed sheets, comforter, pillows, and clothes now so our whole bedroom is still filled with the rubber/chemical odor even without the bed.

We finally called the customer service today and wanted to know ways to resolve the issue, but to our disappointment, the answer was to try using sheet dryers to absorb the odor. I’m deeply skeptical about that having any effect especially when direct sunlight exposure cannot eliminate the odor. After an extensive conversation with customer service, they agreed to replace the chamber, but at the customer’s expense. Well, Sleep Number Bed, I really do not know how to express how extremely disappointed we are, as we had high hopes for your beds, and they aren’t cheap. We now believe your beds have a design and manufacturing issue—in other words, a design defect. Until we can see that you care about the health of your customers—when we are presented with an adequate solution—we would highly discourage others from purchasing your products for their well-being.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Lingde and we'd like to look into your concerns. To get started, please give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F or from 8:30AM-5PM on Saturdays and an agent will be glad to look into this for you.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Last Saturday chat room assistant was very helpful, walked me thru process of troubleshooting to try and reinflate bed. In end after several attempts to fix problem it was determined a replacement pump was required. Agent asked for address and confirmed delivery would be received by Tuesday 3rd July. Chat call ended. Third of July came and went, no delivery. 4th of July being a holiday so thought perhaps shipping delayed for this reason. Called SleepNumber at 888 number today 5th of July and Agent Cathy was very apologetic but pump had never shipped.

Another surprise, we had to pay a % for pump under warranty program. We've had bed 4 years. If chat Agent had explained all this at time of online chat we would have paid and received pump by now. Cathy had to submit payment and consult with Supervisor Danielle who authorized priority handling and express shipping to get pump to us as quickly as possible. Cathy did note that chat room line had dropped before chat Agent could apparently complete the chat room call and advise about payment so item never shipped!!

I would have thought at this point an email or phone call would have been appropriate to resolve completion so pump could be received... and not left until we called back to inquire why pump was not received. As a side note, my husband is just out of hospital after 11 days and it would have been nice to get him back into our Kingsize Sleep Number bed rather than the guest room. Overall very disappointed with chat room Agent not following up on the apparent dropped chat call.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, Mary and I've made sure to forward them along to our leadership team for their review. If you ever have any questions we can help with, please give us a call at 1-800-344-6561 8AM-9PM CST M-F, 9AM-7PM Saturdays or from 10AM-6:30PM Sundays.

Sleep Number Online Customer Care

Original review: July 4, 2018

Great experience so far, sales agent Trini was great, she stayed late to make sure my order was completed so I didn’t miss out on the great sale. I’m excited to receive my new bed and on my birthday was a bonus.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Congratulations on the new bed, Kara! We wish you a Happy Birthday and many restful nights to come!

Maggie G

Online Customer Care

Original review: July 3, 2018

I'm going to take full credit for this one. I should have done some more research first. We ended up getting roped in by a salesman at a store because my wife and I were extremely uncomfortable on our old mattress. We were told that we got a "great deal" on one of their "sales" but ended up paying just under $5,000 for a queen mattress and adjustable base. We've had it for a little over a year now and still have about $3000 left to pay off. And we are just as uncomfortable as we were with our standard spring mattress. Just a lot more broke! The delivery process was terrible. Late and very rushed. The worst part is - NO REFUNDS! We were ready to give it back about after a week, but we didn't take time to read the fine print. If you're looking into a Sleep Number, please save yourselves and run!

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Hi, Ryan. For help getting my comfy, just give us a call at give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F or from 8:30AM-5PM on Saturdays.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife and I have been wanting a new mattress for a while. Our old mattress was 15 years old and so it was time for a new one. And in thinking about what we would want, we wanted to make sure that it was adjustable, that it set our needs and everything. And that also we could have her side and my side to be different because we don’t have the same preferences. So really, Sleep Number seemed like the only solution. And with the 25-year guarantee, it’s like this is the last bed we’re gonna have to buy.

The sales rep was very pleasant. She was not pushy at all. She just welcomed us to the store and asked us what we had in mind. And we just started telling her what our issues with sleeping we were in, what kind of things we were interested in, and explaining that we wanted the different controls for each of us. And so she directed us to several different options and we narrowed in what we wanted and got the exact one that we wanted.

The delivery team was great, too. They showed up, there were some issues with our bed frames, so they had to make some adjustments to it. But I was very pleased, they did it all themselves, I didn’t need to get involved at all. And when they left it was all perfect. And we turned out to be all Raiders fans and then we had a fun time chatting with them. Now that we have the bed, it's a great experience. We’ve just been sleeping like babies. We actually bought recliners about a month before we bought the bed but we find ourselves watching TV in the bed because it’s just so comfortable. I’ve recommended Sleep Number.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Excellent experience at the store and with the sales person (Janice) and the manager. I highly recommend the store at Clearwater Crossing in Indianapolis, In. They are knowledgeable and work with you through the entire process. From the bed to pillows to bedding and always have your comfort in mind!

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thank you for sharing your review with us, Mark! I'm so glad you had a good experience with Janice at your local store, and I hope you love your new bed.

Sleep well!

Jamie S

Online Customer Care

Original review: July 2, 2018

Best Bed ever. Has everything always wanted. All sales representatives were great when I arrived. They never tried to sell me anything that I did not need. Delivery was on time and after installing bed they explained all features until I was comfortable.They even made sure app was set up on my phone. Great company.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your amazing experience!

Original review: July 2, 2018

My parents were upgrading their bed and I had a bed that hurt me. We got two Sleep Numbers and the beds are comfy. I don’t hurt when I wake up and the overall quality of the bed is good. The sales reps also gave us all their undivided attention and the delivery team was on time too.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Samantha ** Was very professional and explained everything to me. She answered my questions and made my experience buying this bed a great one. She did a great job. I would recommend anyone wanting to buy a new bed to get a Sleep Number bed in Rancho Cucamongo.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Perfect. Thanks for sharing your review!

Sleep Number Online Customer Care

Original review: June 30, 2018

The associate I talked with was very knowledgeable and made me feel like my problem was important. The associate was very quick to find the parts I needed and to make sure of the problem I had. She was very considerate of my problem.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Glad you've had a great experience, James. Rest your best!

Sleep Number Online Customer Care

Original review: June 29, 2018

Representative was very thorough in trying to help find my account. She also went to the archives for more information. She was very thorough and patient with me. (I have M.S. and have trouble with my words coming out.) She was wonderful. I can't find my order number. But, I believe her name is Trucell. I would hire 100 employees just like her to run any company that I may own one day. Kudos to her and your H/R department for snagging her. She deserves a raise and a promotion. Thank you for the opportunity to let you know about my experience.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for taking the time to share your great experience, Mary! Wishing you the very best :-)

Original review: June 28, 2018

Worst bed ever, glorified blow up mattress. Back has hurt since first day we got it. Do not think it is right that you have to pay for delivery and pickup if not satisfied. Now out almost 500.00 just for trying the bed. Very dissatisfied. Felt great in store, not good at home actually sleeping in it.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for giving our beds a try, Tammie. If you ever have any questions for us down the road, please give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F.

Original review: June 28, 2018

In 2007 I bought a two-chamber queen size bed. Switched it to a single chamber in 2011 and they want a pro-rated from 2007. I will no longer recommend this bed to any one and I will send a message across my email and Facebook.

Updated on 07/06/2018: The customer service for this company is absolutely terrible. Bought two chamber bed in 2007, switched it to a single chamber in 2011, and now it needs a new pump. They prorate it from the original purchase, (2 chamber) from a bed I no longer own. They want to sell me a 2 chamber pump for a one chamber bed and I have to rig it so only one hose works, for 240.00, or pay 380.00 for the correct pump... WOW.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Edward. If you have any questions about your warranty we can help with, please give us a call at give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F or from 8:30AM-5PM on Saturdays and we'll be glad to help.

Original review: June 27, 2018

We were recently disappointed with our experience and lack of resolution from a recent delivery of a queen size mattress and adjustable base. We had two issues: 1) Upon delivery the base and bed would not fit up our stairs. We later learned from those delivering that this is happening very often on the queens beds as a result of a new design in the bases that make them bulkier. We were not warned of this in advance. They offered to take it apart to fit it in but would have to null the warranty. Upon calling customer service we were simply offered to instead buy a king size bed.

2) Upon the departure of the delivery crew we found a very long scratch across our hardwood floor where the crew dragged the old bed. We called customer service and were told then we would receive a call back within 24-48 hours to begin resolution. It has now been a week. For the money we were willing to spend on a great product we are left worse off than before without the service we’d expect.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for reaching out to us and we'd like to take a second look at this for you. To get started, please give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F or from 8:30AM-5PM on Saturdays.

Original review: June 27, 2018

As with anything parts do wear out. After 10 years of service our adjustable frame became defective. We were worried that a replacement would not be available so we were pleasantly surprised that indeed Sleep Number did have a replacement. Not only that we were treated like family. Part received, installed, had a problem, tech center walked us through a simple step and... WaLa. Best service and product. Buy it, you will not regret it.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your amazing experience, Robert and Barbara :-) Wishing you the very best!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I was hoping for the positive experience the salesman had indicated. But when the bed was delivered, it has a huge gash in the foundation from a fork truck. It was clearly damaged even before the box was opened, yet it got pushed through the supply chain and was delivered damaged. Then I had to wait 2 weeks to get another one. In the meantime, my wife and I had to sleep in the guest room since we had gotten rid of our old bed. I told them the 2nd delivery had to be late afternoon, and was told no problem. Today I was told delivery was at 10 a.m. -- I am not going to be in town and told them that at the outset. Now to get the 3rd delivery I have to wait another 2 weeks. This is absurd. I am regretting the purchase and I don't even have the bed yet.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

I'm really sorry for the trouble you've had with the delivery of your bed, Richard. Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback, and if you have any additional questions we can help with, please give us a call at give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F or from 8:30AM-5PM on Saturdays.

Sleep Number Online Customer Care

Select Comfort expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Sleep Number makes its own air beds and offers four series of mattresses for different needs and budgets. The mattresses are designed and crafted in the U.S.A., and they come in a wide variety of options.

• Warranty: Sleep Number offers a 25-year warranty against defects in material or workmanship. The first two years are non-prorated and the remaining 23 years are prorated.

• Variety: It offers four series of mattresses, including a Classic Series, Performance Series, Memory Foam Series and Innovation Series.

• Financing: You can set up a consumer credit card to help finance your payments over a period of time.

• Support: It has support specialists who are available 24 hours a day to help with information about the mattresses or concerns you might have after purchasing.

• Comfort: The mattresses offer excellent support and comfort levels.

• Unique Features: You can self-adjust the support of the bed for each sleeper.

• Best for: Sleep Number/Select Comfort mattresses are best for couples who need different support levels, e.g. when there is more than a 100lbs weight difference.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number Company Information