Select Comfort - Sleep Number
Select Comfort - Sleep Number
Call toll free
4.02/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Sleep Number, our mission is to improve lives by individualizing sleep experiences. We are here to help you sleep better with a collection of adjustable beds, mattresses, comforters, bedding sets, pillows and more. We invite you to discover what millions have already experienced - a truly individualized sleep experience for your coziest, most personalized sleep ever. Come talk to our sleep specialists in one of more than 425 mattress stores near you and find the best sleep solution with our Sleep Number beds, comfortable pillows and more. For more information & to make purchases online or over the phone, visit www.sleepnumber.com or give us a call! Know better sleep with Sleep Number.

Select Comfort Gallery (15)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

8473 Select Comfort - Sleep Number Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 19, 2019

This is our second Sleep Number. We had our first one for 10 years and loved it and we didn't want to rethink changing brands. For health reasons, mainly my husband Rudy's back, we needed to make a change because our 10-year old bed had kinda begun to sink in a little bit. And our representative, Robert, at the Galleria, was excellent and explained that to us how that can happen. We probably could have upgraded before 10 years. But our old bed was well worth it for 10 years. We upgraded and went to an i8 360, Split King. I couldn't understand how we could have two different beds and it would still be one bed. But Robert was able to show that to us and help me understand. We absolutely made the right choice.

That was not the first bed that we looked at. But once he understood our sleeping needs he stirred us toward the bed that was the best bed and that was very helpful. My husband was afraid that if we didn't get the Split King, then he would disturb me if he was moving the whole bed. That was a very, very good point that Robert brought out. So, if Rudy puts his in the snore position, I don't even know it. It never disturbs me because my bed is completely separate.

After we went to the store the first time we went home and thought about it and Robert waited a couple of weeks and told us about a promotion. I told him I was sorry we hadn't called him back. I was glad he did that because then we made the extra effort to go in, talk with him again and by then, we made up our mind of which one to get. He helped us with our pillows and was very patient. We appreciated that.

Robert had assured us that the delivery team would give us a couple-hour window, and then before-they're-coming window. We live in the rural area and I wanted to make sure that they would get here. Robert said they deliver all over and they were here on time. The delivery team called me that morning. We moved our bed out and put it into the living room. We passed it on to one of our sons because it was steel and still in good shape.

When the men got here, they had just the bed frame, and they were ready to put it together. They were very nice. I was having a senior moment. I didn't move the tools on my furniture, without something under it and they were very understanding about that. He let me lay something down, so he could put his phone and other stuff. The youngest man explained he synced our phone with the Sleep Number control. Robert did that too in the store initially, and then this man followed through with whatever else needed to be done. By then the bed was in place and he could finish up. We read all the instructions but it was still helpful that he did it. They cleaned up and they were on their way in an hour and 15 minutes.

I have found, the best way to make the sheets is to put each side on the mode for "read." Do it one at a time, in that way, you can tuck the fitted sheets under there real good. I can manipulate the sheets better. I love the sheets and it has good pillows. It's really been a good experience. We're in our 70's and I'm assuming this would be the last bed we buy. We had to consider too that they stand behind their product. Rudy said we have have 30 days to bring back the first pillow that we brought home. We did have to take his pillow back because it wasn't comfortable for Rudy's neck. That went really well. I also know that if there's an error, if something happen under that bed that was electrical, or whatever, Sleep Number is gonna respond. So that's a good feeling too. Several years ago we gave a coupon to friends of ours at church. And they used the coupon to buy a Sleep Number bed. We tried to pass on the good effects of it.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your experience and for recommending our beds to your friends and family, Susan. We're thrilled to hear you had a great experiencing working with your Robert at your local Sleep Number store and that our delivery team provided you with great service during delivery.

Wishing you and your husband a comfortable and relaxing night's sleep for many years to come!

Maggie G

Online Customer Care

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I’ve been a long-term Sleep Number bed customer and I bought my bed back in 1998. It sounded like a good idea to me to be able to adjust both sides of the bed separately and be able to get a different firmness on one side of the bed. I also helped my mom and my boyfriend buy a bed and I just recently helped my friend’s mother buy a bed. She is 89 years old and she was having trouble with back issues. She was moving into an assisted living facility and they had to have a bed. I suggested that she might wanna look at Sleep Number because she could increase the bed firmness, or decrease it, depending on how she was feeling. She wanted a queen-sized bed, so we called the local Sleep Number place and asked them what the best way was to get a queen-sized mattress and what the options were. She wanted to stay within a specific price point, so she got the standard.

My experiences with the sales professionals at Sleep Number have always been really good. The only recent issue that I have had is I called the Novi, Michigan store a couple of times, but I got an answering machine instead of a person. They said if I left my number, somebody would call me back, but it was a little odd. After two or three times of doing that and not getting a callback, I contacted the Canton store and they answered right away. Otherwise, the people at the Novi store were really good and very receptive. There was a guy named David who works at that store who has been extremely helpful to me. And the guy at the Canton store too was Johnny-on-the-spot. He called me back about three or four times.

The mattress that got delivered for my friend’s mom got delivered to my front porch, but that was the UPS. I bought the adjustable bed frames separately for my current mattress and the delivery people delivered the bed frame and set it up for me. I would never buy another kind of bed. It is stupid to invest money in something and then have to buy a bed every four or five years. I had my first one in 1998 and I was gonna buy the whole new system when I went with the adjustable bed frame, but I thought that I would really be throwing away a bed that’s still very good. I was in the store trying to look at the new beds and somebody was trying to buy another one, and he offered to buy my 1998 bed from me while I was in the store. I said, “Nah, maybe not.” I’m a really strong proponent of Sleep Number beds. I tell everybody that I can’t imagine anybody buying anything different.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

We really appreciate you sharing your experiences with us! We thank you for being a long-time fan, and we're thrilled you've recommended us to your friends and family.

I'm really sorry to hear you didn't receive a call back when you left messages for our store in Novi, and I'll pass this on to our Leadership so we can follow up with our team here.

We hope you continue sleeping well for years to come. If you have any questions we can help with, please let us know.

Jamie S

Online Customer Care

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We’d seen the advertisements of Sleep Number for years, and the bed we had was pretty uncomfortable. So, we decided we had the money available, and once we started reading about it, how it’s basically a 25-year guarantee and everything was pretty good about the bed, when we add it up, it made sense. We purchased two kid’s beds. We also got a king-size bed, but we bought the two individual twin-size ones, so that we could upgrade later to the better base, so we could have the elevation and all that added to it.

The saleswoman was great. She walked us through everything, showed us the benefits, how to find our Sleep Number, and how to do all that. Everything was pretty smooth and relatively easy. She seemed very knowledgeable. She had good talking points. She just told us about the bed, the different models, the pros and cons, and what specials were available. She let us try them. She really allowed us to make our own decision. She wasn’t really pushy about selling us on a certain model.

I find the Sleep Number good. The only thing that we have commented on is having the two twin beds is slightly uncomfortable at times because they’d push apart and there’d be a little bit of a gap. I don’t even know if getting a box spring set would make a difference. I understand that I'd be able to elevate the head and elevate the legs, but I'd still always have those mattresses pushing apart. ‘Cause we'd have a kid come crawl in the bed, and the next thing we know, I wake up in the morning, and my kid’s stuck in the crack between the beds. If I scoot over near my wife, the beds are pushed apart under my weight. So, I don’t know if there’s something that helps with that, but that’s about the only real annoyance we found with it.

I really enjoy the sleep I get with the Sleep Number. I do believe that’s improved. We have the one where it actually tells us how we slept through the night just with little analysis, so that’s nice. I compare that with my Fitbit’s sleeping and the Fitbit’s a little more accurate obviously because I wear it, but it’s just interesting to compare with the two. And they’re usually pretty close.

Overall, the quality, I find well. I have to learn a couple of tricks though about how the inflation of the mattress works. One thing the saleswoman touched upon was we need to inflate it up to 100 every day. I think it does that because it helps calibrate the machine. She didn’t really explain that part of it, I just assumed that it gives it like the base to work off of through the night. The IQ Sleep, where when you’re sleeping you turn over, it’ll inflate, deflate, whatever it needs to do to maintain that number, took a little bit getting used to. My wife and I both have switched that on and off to see if we could find a difference with it.

But there are different things. My wife tends to not inflate it every day, while I do typically. And she often complains about it, and I’m like, “If you don’t inflate it to 100% percent, it doesn’t know how to deal with it." So, I end up secretly inflating hers when she’s not paying attention. But overall, we’re very happy with the purchase.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your great experience with us, Brad. Wishing you the best!

Sleep Number Online Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My wife has had some serious back problems, so 21 years ago, we stuck our neck out and tried a Sleep Number bed, and it worked out very well. We also put a Sleep Number bed in our camper 17 years ago but we don’t have that one anymore because we got rid of that camper. Then about a year ago when our first Sleep Number bed was 20 years old, we decided to replace it.

The guy at the Sleep Number store in Maplewood, Minnesota was very good. I’m a retired Director of Procurement, so I spent my life at sales working with sales people, and this guy was a little different but very effective. He took us around and showed us the different models, and I laid on each one and tested them. He insisted on showing us how the big king size bed allows us to tilt the bed up and down. He did a great job and we now have our third Sleep Number bed. We purchased only the bed because we already had a base and besides that, the bloody thing costs $3,500 for just a mattress. Our original bed was not even a Sleep Number. It was called a Select Comfort and it didn’t have the electronic controls and everything else. It had an air pump that was hooked up via wires and it was noisy. So, we went to a very new model that is more advanced and we did good.

Normally, I would pick the bed up myself, but I had a leg amputated three years ago, so there are a few things I haven’t learned how to do yet. I figured I’d just pay an extra and we scheduled a home delivery. The bill for home installation wasn’t all that bad and we paid it. I was at work when the crew delivered the bed and my wife said they came in, took the old mattress apart and put it in the junk pile. Then they installed the new mattress and everything was good.

This new bed is a little quieter to operate. It has some of the features that Sleep Number occasionally likes to taunt, like we can get a report on how we sleep and all that stuff. It’s great. I love the bed and my wife says her back is better because of it.

I have been intrigued by some of the new extremely high density foam beds because they tend to be very flexible, which is something that people need. But I used to sell mattresses years ago and I’m not convinced that the inner spring mattress is the right answer in the long term. I had a bit of a lawsuit five or six years ago with Select Comfort when somebody made a mistake along the line, and it had to occur at Select Comfort’s corporate offices. It caused a little bit of a credit problem for us. We got it straightened out, however, and it was all taken care of. But even though I was kinda crabby with the company for a while, I was never crabby with the product. I’d recommend the Sleep Number bed. The product is top-notch great and I can’t imagine a better bed.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Thomas. If you have any questions we can help with, please give us a call at 1-888-411-2270 from 8AM-8PM CST M-F.

Sleep Number Online Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had a bad back and it gave me trouble with every mattress I tried. Someone told me Sleep Number and I got one of their beds. I started with mine a couple of years ago and I’ve been with them ever since. What I have now is my third one. We were upgrading some things on our home and I liked the feature of the elevated head because I have a bad case of acid reflux and I wanted to be able to raise my head up at night. I had a waterbed frame where we put the California king air bed inside, but it was difficult for my wife to make the bed inside of that box. We decided to take a look at the Sleep Number. I didn’t have any idea it was gonna involve that much money, but then I thought that we will only do this once and we will never end up buying another bed like that. So, we might as well bite the bullet and get what we really want instead of what we think we would like to have.

I worked with a rep named Jean at the Sleep Number store and she was very low pressure. She didn’t push me and didn’t press it, but she still told me so many options and outlined how I could make it work, and it sounded like something I wanted to do. The delivery went well. The guys came in and set it up in no time. The whole bed was a little heavier and a little bigger than I thought -- the superstructure with all the metal for the raising of the head and the feet -- but the use we get out of the bed outweighs the inconvenience of trying to move it around. We were at the point of putting wood floors on our home and taking the carpet out, and we could put the bed on the floors and slide it around if we had to move it at all, but the delivery was good. The guys that came in did a good job of putting it together and it has been working ever since. I like its quality and it’s very well done. However, it’s a little more difficult to make than we thought it would be with the split head. It’s also a little hard to get around as well. Still, we are doing fine with the rest of the bed.

One time, we purchased the heating and cooling element for both beds. We got it home and turned it on. But then we got it wrong and my wife could not sleep with it being on. I boxed the whole thing up and took it back, although I didn’t know whether I would be able to return it or not. However, they were very gracious and they were more than willing. They didn’t give me a hard time. Their reps just said that if I don’t think it’s gonna work I can just bring the item back.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number response

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Morton. Rest your best!

Sleep Number Online Customer Care

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Select Comfort?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Patrick and Zach were very efficient, polite and knowledgeable. From start to finish an we could not have been in better hands. They worked fast removing my old bed and setting up my new bed. I love my new bed!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Just spent my first night with my new c4 mattress and experience has been great, though I didn't have best of experience from one of the customer service agents. Spoke to almost 5 agents for different justified reasons. Rest 4 were great.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Very happy. Now we just have to learn how to use it. We will certainly recommend it to family and friends. The sales team and delivery team knew all about the bed and service. We would like to have them back.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

From our in-store experience with Tanya, to the 3 gentlemen who came to install our new bed, I'd rate them/the experience as a TEN, without question. Professional, courteous, friendly and interested in us getting THE best night's sleep possible. There's a whole science behind the Sleep Number Bed and now I see how it all comes together. Would we recommend them to others? YES. Absolutely.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

We purchased our bed less than a month ago. First, you have to pay (no option) for them to come and install the bed. Once the bed finally arrived, the bed was installed incorrectly and the base/box spring was broken. The first night sleeping on the bed, there was a horrible creaking sound in my husband's base, and in the middle of the night, it fell off the frame! Their phone customer service is BEYOND useless and had the biggest attitude problems I have ever encountered. I had to go into the store (which they are wonderful) and they placed an order for a replacement base.

Two nice men showed up 2 weeks later with 2 new bases and installed them. No more creaking- problem fixed... or so we thought. That first night I noticed my side not being able to hold a number and it kept pumping up more than usual. This morning (4 days later), I woke up to a completely flat bed. When I tried to pump it up- nothing happened. I lifted the side of the mattress up to notice the entire connector into the air chamber is already cracked and dried out and the valve is no longer connected! The bed is 3 weeks old!!!!

When I called customer service, they are happy to send me out a new air chamber (as it is clearly under warranty) but it would be here in 10 days. There is a warehouse 45 minutes from my house- I could walk there and back faster! When I asked the customer service rep what I was suppose to do for 10 days before It got here, his comment was "that's not my problem ma'am". I am so beyond disappointed with the bed and their customer service at this point. A $2,000 bed with mandatory $200 instillation should not have these issues! And their customer service should not have this attitude.

Select Comfort expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Sleep Number makes its own air beds and offers four series of mattresses for different needs and budgets. The mattresses are designed and crafted in the U.S.A., and they come in a wide variety of options.

• Warranty: Sleep Number offers a 25-year warranty against defects in material or workmanship. The first two years are non-prorated and the remaining 23 years are prorated.

• Variety: It offers four series of mattresses, including a Classic Series, Performance Series, Memory Foam Series and Innovation Series.

• Financing: You can set up a consumer credit card to help finance your payments over a period of time.

• Support: It has support specialists who are available 24 hours a day to help with information about the mattresses or concerns you might have after purchasing.

• Comfort: The mattresses offer excellent support and comfort levels.

• Unique Features: You can self-adjust the support of the bed for each sleeper.

• Best for: Sleep Number/Select Comfort mattresses are best for couples who need different support levels, e.g. when there is more than a 100lbs weight difference.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Select Comfort - Sleep Number Company Information