1.15/5
  • 1 star
Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a good mattress?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

422 Sealy Mattress Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We bought a very expensive Sealy mattress. It was nice and firm and comfortable for about a year. The issue isn’t the sagging. Because of the nature of the mattress, it continues to sink when someone sleeps on it. Like quicksand. There is no visible sagging when no one is on it so the company won’t replace it. It wasn’t supposed to suck you down, only contour to your body. The company won’t even talk to you if you don’t have a warranty started with photos proving a sag issue. It’s a density issue and a pain issue. Now I have a useless expensive guest bed.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

In April 2017, my husband and I spent over $1800 on a Sealy king mattress and box springs from Sears. In less than 3 months we could notice a decrease in support, which is getting worse with time. There are noticeable deep sags in the mattress - not just typical body impressions. One can easily see the curvature of the mattress where the sides curve upwards, with severe sagging in the middle. The depressions are noticeable to the eye even with the sheets, blanket and comforter on. This defective mattress is affecting our sleep, our lives, and our relationship! Between the 2 of us, we are experiencing night-time back and leg cramps, lack of a good nights sleep, repeated awakenings during the night, the feeling of falling into an abyss in the mattress and feeling trapped, and back and chest pain.

We have resorted to one of us sleeping on the couch and the other on the twin guest bed. Again, this is not just normal body impressions from sleeping on a mattress day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year. This is a total lack of support after less than 3 months! This is unacceptable and I am surprised someone has not yet filed a class-action suit against Sealy! I have filed a complaint with Sears and will see where that goes. I am willing to bet I get no satisfactory resolution or restitution with Sears OR Sealy.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

On December 2, 2016, I purchased a Sealy Posturepedic Mattress and box frame from Ashley Furniture. Within three months the mattress started to sag. The sad thing was I am only sleeping in the bed every other week. After having them out to evaluate the mattress and being told I needed to add more support on the bedframe I still continued to have the sagging mattress issue. They sent another technician out and determined that the bed was defective and gave me a credit for the mattress in May, 2017. It was within two months that the mattress started to sag again.

In August I sent the paperwork in and after a couple of attempts of sending the papers in I finally had a technician out on October 23 and the mattress was sagging 1-5/8 inches. Once again I am offered a credit. I do not want to purchase another product from Ashley and more importantly I will not buy another Sealy product. I have a message into Harold the Director of Customer Service to get my money back. A mattress should not sag after just a couple of months!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Purchased a new Sealy Hidden Lake mattress about 2 months ago. By the 3rd night, it was sagging so badly on my side, I start rolling off onto the floor. Contacted Sealy, and they dumped it back on Ashley Furniture. Ashley sucks, so I have not tried to fight with them over it. I wish I had not let my wife talk me into going back there. And I will never buy another Sealy product.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Purchased a mattress topper from this company about a month ago. After giving the topper a couple days to expand to the full size indicated in the box I noticed the edges the top and bottom did not expand much at all, was nearly flat. If you've ever purchased one of these tippers, you'll know once they start to expand there is no way it's ever going back into the original box. Anyway so I contacted the vendor regarding this issue since the product comes with a limited warranty and this particular issue is covered under the warranty. On the first day I contacted Tempur-Pedic and after the rep I was speaking to consulted with her coworkers. I was told it's not a warranty issue and to take it back to the store for another one and that perhaps I got a bad one from the shelf.

Well I refused to take it back and explained to the rep this is covered by the warranty AND this was the last one on the shelf I shouldn't have to drive all over town trying to replace something that is covered by a warranty. The rep indicated she completely understood and agreed that it should be covered by the warranty but she's not in the warranty dept but those in the warranty dept are telling her it is not a warranty issue. She then proceeds to inform me she is meeting with her manager later that day and would discuss the issue with him and call me back later the next day. Well she called me back the next day and indicated her manager said it is not a warranty issue either. At this point it became very apparent to me that this company is potentially scamming customers on the down low but refusing to honor the warranty.

I indicated to the representative that I would be filing a complaint with the BBB. Upon filing the complaint with the BBB the vendor eventually responded indicating if the item is defective I could submit a claim with the warranty dept. However at this point and 2 phone calls later I have very little faith that when I call this issue will be handled to my satisfaction. I spent over $300 for this topper and less than a week it was obviously defective and they did Not want to resolve the issue (allegedly) until I contacted BBB. No thank you l, it should not be this difficult for an item that is clearly defective. I will not do business with companies nor people that respond like this. I work hard for my money and will not spend with people who practice bad business habits. I will jam it back into the box and return it to the store. BUYER BEWARE OF SEALY TEMPUR-PEDIC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sealy Mattress?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

We have always had Sealy Posturepedic mattresses (4 in 50 years). Our current king set is about 6 years old, and has been sagging in the middle for about 2 years. We have had the furniture store where we bought it out 3 times, according to them this is normal wear. The "sags" have to be 1/2 inch depressions before anything will be done, if this is true, shame on Sealy for such shoddy workmanship. We will never buy another Sealy set again.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Me and my girlfriend bought adjustable base from a furniture company about four years ago and just recently bought a kitten that we have grown to love very much. On 09/15/2017 my girlfriend went home to find our cat crushed between the part that raises the mattress and the frame of the base. We are extremely upset not to mention the unforgettable mental picture the my girlfriend can't get out of her head of our dead cat. We are trying to figure out is to why such a huge company like Sealy that made the base had not put in effort in making it a safer product to put into homes. I thank God that it was not one of our kids and it could still very well have done the same cause I have felt the pressure and weight just by using my wrist for testing it.

There needs to be a safety switch of some sort on it to where if there is any resistance when going down that it stops and returns to upright position until object is removed. If it had a safety feature like that our cat would still be here. Also we had to call the furniture company just to find out the manufacture of the base cause there were no stickers or labeling on the base where there should at least be a secure warning label on the base in which the company failed to do so. I am contacting an attorney cause I have called Sealy several times and have gotten nowhere doing so. This needs to be dealt with before this happens again or worsens by being a person or a child. People may say, "O it was just a cat move on." But that's not the way we feel. Ya she's a cat but also family because our kids also suffer from this and have also been upset and cry still. It's sad.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

A year ago we purchased a king-size Sealy Posturepedic - Leola Firm Euro Pillowtop from Sears. It was about $1500 for the mattress and box springs, but in a few short months we seem to a hard-packed ridge that developed down the middle of the bed. It is so uncomfortable that I need to sleep on the sofa for relief. I've researched online and have found MANY people with the same problem. It seems to me that this type of pillow top doesn't really hold up well and should be discontinued so consumers are not cheated out of a good night's sleep EVERY night! The sales person was an elderly lady who never mentioned the problem could develop.

The advice online is to beat the hump a couple of times a week, but we're older and really don't feel we should have to do such a thing. I think I will see if we can remove the pillow-top ourselves, then add our own padding. An extra expense, yes, but a possible solution. Can't afford ANOTHER NEW MATTRESS. Will never get another pillow top type and will warn others.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

We have not had a good night sleep since day one on our Sealy Seafront Luxury Firm mattress. You sink into the mattress soon after you lay in it which I did not notice on the showroom model. We wake up in the middle of the night from the heat generated from this mattress. And you feel like you have to climb out of a sinkhole to get out of it. My husband and I have experienced pain since the first night, back and/or chest pain, waking up to numb arms. I wish that I had done my research before purchasing. Buyer beware. I will never buy another Sealy mattress or ever buy anything from Slumberland furniture.

I was going to contact Sealy but after reading these reviews I'm wondering if I should waste my time. But I feel obligated to so I'm sure that I will. Slumberland asked if I wanted to buy their mattress protection bag. I responded that I could probably find it less expensive at Walmart and passed. Even though that was a perfect opportunity for Brandon, the Mattoon, IL Slumberland sales rep, to let me know that my satisfaction guarantee with them was void if I did not buy the bag from them but he did not tell me.

So, it appears that we just have to take the loss which we really can't afford but you can't really put a price on a good night sleep. We haven't been functioning well due to the back pain. My husband who rarely misses work and rarely goes to the doctor missed work yesterday and went to the doctor for his chest and back pain. I don't even feel like I can give this brand new piece of garbage mattress to anyone else. What a waste! Would rate zero stars if it were an option.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

This Sealy Mattress is junk. I should have took it back in the day I got it. Springs sounded like they were breaking inside. It is six years old but it was shot two years ago. It's sagging in the middle with a big hump in the middle. Complete junk. I'm not even wasting my time on awarding claim. It's going to the landfill.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I bought a Sealy mattress about 3 years ago for my son. About 2 weeks ago I called Ashley Furniture in Thatcher AZ where I purchased it. They sent out some guys to look at the sagging and weak spot where he sleeps. They took pics and left. They called back and said warranty would not cover it because it had a stain at bottom corner of bed where it got dirty from moving. I emailed Sealy and they said same thing but their own warranty says if it was not a direct abuse that it was covered. So how can a stain at very bottom corner of bed affect the middle of bed and make it sag... just their excuse for poor quality and even poorer quality in customer service. I would never buy from them again after spending 1000 to last 3 years.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Purchased a Sealy boxspring and memory foam mattress a few years ago and boxspring recently crushed (literally the wood was crushed, not just broken) and the mattress began to sag. At 8 months pregnant I am now sleeping on the floor because the warranty would not cover a new boxspring or mattress and I was advised to prevent any further damages to the mattress I should place it on the floor. To top it all off the service man left both the mattress & boxspring leaning against the wall with my 2 toddlers running around so I had to move it myself. Thank you Sealy for ripping off a pregnant woman hundreds of dollars and sacrificing her well being so you can stuff your greedy pockets with our hard earned money, and not honoring your warranty.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I purchased a Sealy Cahill Firm mattress and box spring in May 2015 and it is like sleeping on a rock which I love. The mattress is still as firm as the day I bought it (from Macy's). It is a full size. I have no complaints about this one and had no issues with sagging. However, I then purchased in December of 2016 an Indulgence queen size pillow top mattress and box spring from Bob's. That mattress has sunk so bad after a year that I told Bob's it is like a sink hole! They apologized and told me to come pick a new one and they will exchange it for me. I did today but now I'm second guessing the pillow top as I'm afraid it may sag like the first one. My Sealy is not a pillow top. I only weigh 125 pounds, so I shouldn't have a "sink hole" in the mattress. I have to give Bob's kudos for the no problem return!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I purchased a Sealy Mattress from Sears (March 21, 2017) in Deptford, New Jersey. I called to complain on several occasions, no response. The mattress causes me to sweat unbelievably. A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. This mattress came with tags which states it's FIRM, shipped from SEARS at the Swedesboro NJ location. The mattress is HOT and SAGGING!!!

Original review: July 25, 2017

This company is a impossible to work with on a warranty claim. Mine has been going on for months. The phone number is a joke and a farce. They hang up on you or put you on hold. They make it impossible to make a warranty claim. NEVER again. Think of your future with this company before buying. I have sent pictures sent notarized forms etc. NO reply.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I bought a Sealy Mattress on black Friday. It was their super sale mattress. It was on sale for 699 king size. When we tried the mattress in store it felt great so we went with it. It felt good for maybe a month before we notice it was leaving an indentation and sagging. I thought maybe it was normal to leave a minor one but now 7 months later the bed is so bad that I have been in nonstop pain for 3 weeks. It's to the point I'm counting down the minutes till my new bed comes in. I can not even lay in this bed to watch tv for 5 min. The aches already start. It's absolutely horrible. If I could give it a 0 star I would. Biggest waste of money I have ever spent 8 months for a mattress??? They should be ashamed.

I didn't even bother to call customer service. After I spoke with the store they said they need 1.5 inch indent in the mattress to claim the warranty. In my opinion I do not understand why the mattress has to be stuck at 1.5 inches lower permanently. Just because it may not show it when you look at it does not mean it doesn't sag even more then 1.5 when you lay in it . Where's the Logic? Now I'm buying a memory foam mattress on Amazon for 300 bucks that has great reviews. Hoping for it to help the pain I now have due to Sealy! Not worth it.

Original review: July 18, 2017

This is the second Sealy mattress in 6 years, each lasting less than 3. By time to get to dealing with this another year is passed. DITTO on the other complaints! $1300.00 for a mattress with unreachable warranty value. Now getting a new one but not until I jumped through their hoops to do it. My biggest resentment is that they have to BUILD a mattress for me (Sealy extra firm) and the warehouse is in Los Angeles when we are in San Diego. Macy's has the mattress in stock but they won't reimburse them to get to me quickly. So I have to wait another 6 weeks to get a good mattress to sleep on.

The biggest thing making me fume is having to pay $140 for delivery. We cannot get to LA to pick up and bring ourselves so no other way to get it. They make money and I lose again. I WOULD NOT BUY A SEALY MATTRESS again and will continue to return them when they sag... REALLY!!! Why can't we just go back to mattresses we turned now and then. I slept just fine on them!!! BUMMER!!! Shame on Sealy, yes inferior quality as most is these days! The claim number will bring up the buyer receipt...

Original review: June 26, 2017

Bought top of line kingsize mattress in July 2015 at Value City Furniture in NJ, and it caved in on left side half in 5 months. It got my back so bad that I had to replace it with other brands in month six. Numerous calls and two technicians during six months span, they came up with various ridicule excuses each time in order to decline its 10-year warranty. $1500 is no big deal, but this Sealy brand is almost criminal in terms of hurting human beings' back and want to get away with it shamelessly; it should go bankrupt and hence stop hurting people, the sooner the better. Let me say this, it's "Silly to get a Sealy". Stop purchasing Sealy mattress.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I purchased a mattress set and they have given me the run around. I do not believe they intend to honor the warranty. I did not know a company who had been around for such a long time would be so careless in handling customers. I am very disappointed and would not recommend anyone buying a mattress from them. The mattress began to lose its firmness in less than three years.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I purchased a Sealy Deerhill mattress at Boscov's. From the first night's sleep, it felt like I was in a hole. I thought maybe because it was new it was me. My husband tried it, and the same feeling. They sent a mattress guy out to measure sagging. He agreed to replace it. They gave me the same mattress. Guess what? Same issues. I gave it 6 months. I had guest this past weekend and I asked their opinion and they said it felt like it was sagging in the center. I called Boscov's and they are sending another mattress checker out again. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS BRAND!!! I wish I would have read the reviews. Also wish I had gone to a mattress store. I will let you know what happens. Lots of Sealy complaints on here.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have been reading all the bad reviews of my Sealy mattress and I am convinced I need to buy a new one that is a different company. My mattress is three years old and visibly sagging on both sides where we sleep. Because a new mattress will do the same thing it is not worth the effort to replace it with another Sealy product that will do the same thing. It is not worth back problems and a poor night's sleep. This is a company that is now making a poor product and does not care about its customers. It will go out of business.

Original review: June 7, 2017

We purchased a new Sealy Posturepedic Mattress and Foundation in October, 2016 for ~ $1000. It was firm for about 2 months and then my partner and I started rolling into the middle. Our combined weight is less than 300 pounds so it's not our weight. We can't sleep on the mattress any longer. The defect was not visual so Sealy's warranty does not apply. We are $1000 poorer and steaming mad. It took 7 calls and numerous emails to complete the warranty process and no resolution.

Original review: June 5, 2017

We bought Memory Foam a mattress and box spring. Had it for 3 yrs and a spring broke inside the mattress stuck out the corner of the mattress and I contacted Mattress Depot USA in Everett about it and they replaced it back on April 2016. Got a hold of Mattress Depot USA last week and they refuse to do anything about it so I'm just warning everyone do not waste your time and money. They are junk. They need to be put out of business. Original bed was bought in 2013, box spring replaced on warranty on April 2016, now the second box spring has collapsed. This is the second box spring in 4 years.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Heidi Furniture, Anaheim, refused to process the warranty for defective Sealy Mattress that they sold to us. Sealy customer service is not cooperating to process the Warranty and not responding to my warranty claim that they asked me to send to them.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I bought their mattress in November 2016, but February 2017 I was miserable because it was sagging. It's a king with two twin box springs under and there's a large hump in the middle and two dents on the side. AWFUL. Came out and said it's only 1/2 in. dented. UHM IT'S BEEN 4 MONTHS IT SHOULDN'T BE DENTED AT ALL. Awful. I will never ever ever buy a mattress from them ever again. Customer service is awful as well.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Bought a Sealy mattress for almost $1,000.00. Within 2 months, there were large sag sections. Contacted Sealy and the seller. No help from either of them after documenting the over 2" sags. I'm 6 foot 1 and 220 lbs and my wife is 5 foot 7, 135 lbs. This Sealy mattress sucks, as well as Sealy the company and the seller Mattress Kingdom. Stay away and save your money.

Original review: May 8, 2017

Purchased a mattress 6 months ago from Mattress King and the mattress had a defect. The padding under the top cover was bunching up and creating lumps. Mattress King sent employees over to take pictures and decide if it was a manufacturer defect. Couple days later it was decided that it was a manufacturer defect and they arranged to give us credit. The credit was for what we paid plus tax. That's great. Only when we went to purchase the replacement they no longer had the Matress we purchased and the others were substantially more expensive. Plus Mattress King wanted to charge a delivery charge of $49.99 to pick up the defective Mattress and deliver the new Mattress.

When we called Sealy about the delivery charge they said we should feel lucky because they would have charge $150.00. WHAT? We would have been doing any of this if the freaking Mattress were made correctly. I will also be writing a review on Mattress King. All but one employee were rude and dismissive as if we were wrong for bringing the Mattress back. At the end of the day we did get a new Mattress for a little extra???

Original review: May 5, 2017

My wife and I purchased the Sealy Hybrid Mattress in the spring of 2014 and for about two years, the mattress was very good. Then we started having back problems which took us quite a while to figure out that it was the foam in the mattress breaking down. Finally, we slept in our guest room for a few days and our back pain went away, realizing it was broken down foam in the mattress causing the pain.

Sealy’s warranty policy is measuring sag with a string drawn across the mattress with no one on the bed and it has to sag 1 ½ inches for a warranty issue. No foam mattress without weight on it is going to sag that much, mostly because the cover is heavy and drawn tight, so it won't show any sag. Now if I take a bowling ball and set it where I have been sleeping and then set in the middle of the bed, there is about a 2” difference in how much the ball sinks in. It is very apparent that the foam is breaking down. In my opinion, after talking with a lot different people about my defective mattress is that foam mattress that cannot be flipped and rotated just are not going to last long and Sealy sets a warranty policy that will make it so they don't have to ever replace it. Being that the Hybrid is a high end premium mattress with a 10-year warranty it is very disappointing that I spent a lot of money for a mattress that is now useless!

After talking with Levin where I purchased the mattress and Sealy customer service, multiple times over a 2-month period, all I got was that the mattress was not bad enough to get any warranty and call us back in 6 months and try again. Also, Levin's store manager was terrible with follow up and usually took days to call me back, or I would have to call him back multiple times, always leaving a message and then wait for a call. What I have learned most is to NEVER buy a Sealy product, that Levin Mattress was good until I needed help with defective product and do not buy a mattress that cannot be flipped and rotated.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I purchased a Sealy Mattress for about $1,500 in the fall of 2015. Sometime in 2016 the mattress starting sagging and by now it is absolutely unbearable to sleep in. Unfortunately Sealy has some predetermined sinking guidelines of 1.5", the problem is the warranty serviceperson who I paid to measure my mattress was working against me, measuring on top of bunched fabric that offers no support and is not part of the actual mattress. They keep denying me service, and they told me to basically suffer another year until I get below a couple inches in sagging. They actually want their customers suffering instead of making things right. Unbelievable. My family and I were always lifelong Sealy customers, but not anymore.

I will pursue this matter further with the BBB, consumer protection agency and attorney general as necessary. According to the rest of their reviews in here, this is a common business practice for them! Also - Mattress Firm said they had to cut ties with Sealy because their Sealy brands had a tremendous amount of customer complaints and issues. That is strong evidence this company no longer puts quality and customer service first.

Original review: April 6, 2017

We buy a mattress and boxspring. Had it for like 6 months and a spring broke inside the mattress stuck out the corner of the mattress and I contacted Sealy about it and they refuse to do anything about it. Got a hold of Mattress Firm and they refuse to do anything about it so I'm just warning everyone do not waste your time and money. They are junk. They need to be put out of business. I'm going to turn them into the Better Business Bureau and hopefully get something done about this because there's been a lot of people having problems with their mattresses.

Sealy Mattress expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Sealy has been making mattresses for over 130 years. It makes a wide variety of mattresses and is well known for its Sealy Posturepedic beds.​

• Cooling gel: Sealy offers beds with a unique cooling gel, which prevents the mattress from absorbing body heat so it stays cool while you are sleeping.

• Variety: It offers a wide variety of mattress options, including innerspring, hybrid, gel memory foam and latex foam. Note that motion control is not so great at the lower price points.

• Customer support: It offers excellent support during the weekdays and strives to make sure you are happy with your bed over time.

• Value: It offers a wide range of options in all different price ranges so customers are generally able to find a good value.

• Best for: Sealy mattresses are best for young adults, parents and new professionals.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Sealy Mattress Company Information