1.09/5

929 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I'm totally disgusted with WU. I live in the US and oftentimes send money to Jamaica, where I was born. I have many family and friends there whom I send money to. WU has blocked both myself and everyone else on my list of receivers. What's more frustrating is when you call Customer Service they won't give you a reason why the transfer was denied. I made a formal complaint to WU. They sent me a very detailed form requesting banking information, source of salary, the names and amount of past recipients and reason for the transfer. After submitting the mountain of financial and personal information, I was unblocked, but, guess what? They continued to block everyone on my receiver's list. This includes family members and law abiding friends I've known for decades.

I called them but it was like talking to a brick wall. They won't tell you why your recipients are blocked. All they have to say is, "we don't discuss our security policies." It's painfully obvious that their reasons for blocking honest, law abiding customers, is that the algorithm they have in place is woefully flawed. It's designed to indiscriminately block senders who makes frequent transfers, akin to scammers and other people involved in a criminal enterprise. They have zero evidence to support their actions. To add to my frustration, they've recently required the submission of additional information for verification purposes. I had to enter my driver's license information in order to complete the transfer. After doing so my transaction was again denied! It's painfully obvious that they assume/presume the sender is involved in insurance fraud, lottery fraud, or money laundering.

There's more, I'm a member of the My WU Rewards Program, with an account number! I also created an online account which included the submission of name, address and banking information so I could initiate and complete a transfer online without going to an agent location....yet they still branded be a scammer and continues to deny my transfers. As I mentioned above, the algorithm they have in place to detect unusual or criminal activities is woefully flawed and needs to be reviewed. I'm upset, I'm very upset with Western Union. They provide an excellent service to send money to family and friends quickly in case of an emergency, however, their draconian system of checks and balances is making it extremely difficult for law abiding customers to use their service.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Two weeks to receive the money in Australia, because the receiving end could not correctly read the name. So I went to the store to correct the name, and it was not possible and I continue to call customer service. They could not help me and continue to repeat the same line causing me extreme frustration and irritation. I continue to call asking for a supervisor. Again they could not help, because the only way to verify my ID was through a phone call, but my phone had no coverage in the area where I was.

This is absolute unlawful as they are more secure ways to verify ID the people I spoke to could not speak proper English and kept repeating the same thing over and over which brought me to the brink of desperation. WU should be out of business or seriously consider best practices as they are making money on people who rely on these financial transaction. WISH WE COULD ALL UNITE TO MAKE A CLASS ACTION AGAINST WU!!!! THE WORST SERVICE PROVIDER IN THE WORLD!

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I purchased a money order for my rent in July 2018, it somehow got lost in the mail so I had to pay my rent twice. I put a tracer on the money order. About a month later the money order was returned to my mailbox. I then called WU. They told me I could cancel the tracer and cash the money order because there were no holds on it. No one would cash it so I had to request the tracer again so I sent the original money order along with receipt from WU.

I had tracking through USPS. It said delivered Jan 22nd 2019. WU said they never received it so they told me to email a copy of the money order & receipt. I did in March 2019. Waited a week. They said they didn’t receive it. I emailed it again. It is now April 2019. They are saying they never received my money order refund request after 3 attempts. It’s been almost a year and I want my money back, I keep getting the runaround. Every rep I speak to doesn’t speak good English. They are all the way in the Philippines. After this I will never purchase another Western Union money order.

Original review: April 7, 2019

On Wednesday 3rd of April this year I send $1000 to Nigeria on three different times and it didn't go through because Western Union cancel the transfer and my money is returned back to my card but Western will first hold the transfer. And when my I called their customer care line to let them know the reason why I am sending the money and have meet the receiver but Western Union will cancel the transfer. So the next day I did the transfer again and still Western Union cancel it and did this time they didn't refund my money back to my debit card.

I did the transaction online with my debit card so now the customer care said in seven days they will make the refund and the money is needed urgently here in Nigeria because there is death in our family. So please Western Union return the money back before seven days/I need my money urgently. I don't know why is it hard to send money to Africa and why the ** you are worried about who I send my money to and I'm telling you this man I know him and he's my husband. Don't you know this is racist. Why you causing racist. I am not scammed and I know what I'm doing.

Original review: April 7, 2019

My company (Nutrition International) send the money to my account through Western Union. In Western Union wire transfer it is state that money send on 21 March 2019 and scheduled deposit in my account on 26 March 2019 but till now 7 April 2019 I am not receive the fund. It is means already exceed 2 week. I contact WU but never got feedback. Why WU made people difficult, I am only small people that need my salary to paid the bill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: April 5, 2019

Recently I did a transaction and the recipient was not able to cash the money because the money wasn't on their systems, I called customer service and the guy who assisted me told me the issue was fixed, wasn't true, I called again and put me 20 minutes on hold after those 20 minutes the customer service representative told me they don't have the properly customer service representative to assist me, he told me to hang up or being waiting for unknown time, they charged my debit card and the money never arrived to the recipient, they stole my money, and they refuses to give my money back.

Original review: April 4, 2019

According to the Western Union terms & conditions when a transaction is auto refunded it will be paid on the originated country from the payment is sent. But I have faced a case in which the transaction is auto refunded but the payment is paid on the destination country. How is it possible anyone have any idea about it???

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have used Western Union many times, however their requirements to send money person to person are now bordering on ridiculous. My friend's father agreed to loan me some money and due to him not knowing me very well they kept refusing to complete the transaction. Three different times in two days it couldn't be sent from California to Nevada. We ended up using MoneyGram and there was no problem. I won't be bothering with Western Union again.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I had been using Western Union for 5 years to send money from the US to friends in Cambodia. I used the website to make direct withdrawals from my US bank account. I can no longer use Western Union. I received a message technical problem C2008 while trying to send. I called customer service and was instructed to email Global Consumer Reinstatements. Then I was asked to fill out a form and I submitted the following requested information: photo ID, bank account statement, pay sub. I also submitted my last flight itinerary to provide supporting evidence that I actually have met the two people I had sent money to in the last 12 months. I received acknowledgement that my information was received. I have not heard anything since that acknowledgement. I have since started using Western Union’s competitors including MoneyGram and World Remit and paying 1/3 less in fees to send.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have been sending money to another country for 2 years and suddenly all transactions denied unless I physically go in the store. I am a disabled officer and this is not accomodating to those disabled. I think we need a class action lawsuit against Western Union for their ridiculous practices. I've written dozen of complaints. Western Union needs to be investigated and sued for not accommodating the disabled.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Western Union tries to go the extra mile in terms of security. However, Western Union is going in the opposite direction and its desire for customer's security becomes Western Union's own fanatism gone wrong. One day I was trying to send money online through Western Union by using my own debit card and bank account information. The problem is that the system would reject the transaction a few times even though all the information I entered was correct.

So I called Western Union's customer service phone and I was asked questions that are in the public records and because there were questions that I could not answer from "the public records" my transaction was rejected. This was a mistake on Western Union's side for public data is something that anyone but can create or update; public data are not official or original records but I guess that is something that is too difficult for Western Union to figure it out and comprehend the meaning of public records.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Twice in 6 months Western Union has arbitrarily denied collection of funds that I transmitted by their system in good faith to well regarded individuals overseas. This was to total surprise, and vast mutual disappointment and frustration, in each case. The most recent case, a few days ago, was a gift transmission for a special occasion of two friends, sent to a professional woman of the best community standing in the Netherlands. The Dutch staff at the Utrecht W.U. office said that all was in perfect order. But the American overseer there overruled them, and abruptly denied collection, offering no justification. I have been totally unable to get any justification myself, despite extensive efforts through Western Union channels.

The result is that the friends will never be able to enjoy the special opportunity for which this gift was intended. As a non-lawyer I regard this behavior as fraudulent in the popular understanding of the word. I provided money with the expectation that a contracted service would undertaken and provided in good faith. It was not. If there was any question as to whether any further information could be required properly to identify the individual and his/her integrity, then the sender should be so advised, and enabled make any needed adjustments before the funds are accepted.

As mentioned at the top, I experienced a precisely parallel outcome six months earlier, when I first attempted to make a transfer to a known, outstanding friend in another part of the world. These are the only two times I have attempted to use money transfer services of Western Union. In my experience it cannot ever be relied upon. In fact, at 100%, it has proven itself to be as unreliable as any business possibly can be. If you send money by Western Union, do not expect it to be delivered, if based on my experiences.

Original review: March 24, 2019

They take 4 business days and $11.00 fee to transfer money within the United States. Four days??? It used to be less than 10 minutes. I should have spent just $1 stamp, a personal check, and probably 5 - 7 business days to do the same thing.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Using the app, they took out the money 10am, they then took it again 6pm. I provided proof from my bank but they continually denied it. 3 weeks later I got back the 2nd withdrawal minus a transfer fee. WU mistake and I paid a transfer fee. 3 weeks ago I had to call them and explain why I was sending the money. I then had to send proof of address and ID. Yesterday I went in store and was asked to call back an hour later why they verified my ID.

I then had to give a call back again. I had to give them my MTCN number, full name of receiver and a reason why I was sending it. I said it was personal and there was a load of customers in store. Was told I could not send any unless I shared the info. She did not care about data protection. I was then told each time I’m sending money I will have to call them in store and go through the same procedure. Any time I have spoken to customer service they have been rude and will not accept they are at fault. Read many reviews before making a decision.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I never had problem with Western Union until now. I have sent me before without any problems. Western Union is bad. I called Western Union twice today. One of the rep was argument with when I told the rep that I used the Western Union to send money instead of going to store. I used the Western Union app to see if my transaction went through.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I had 2 money orders stolen February 9th. I reported them stolen the same day within hours. I was charged a non fundable fee to have them traced. I submitted all forms with another money order to cover the trace fee February 12th. February 25 the stolen money orders were cashed. However the trace was not done until March 7th, I received a copy of a cashed money order I did not trace March 18th and told to file a complaint @ my local police station because there is nothing that Western Union can do once the money orders have been cashed. It's EXTREMELY HARD to reached anyone from the corporate office by phone or email. Customer service is outsourced to the Philippines and even they are very rude & lack basic customs services knowledge!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

WU Agents be bugging bad... First, they are foreigners who have different and believe 'The Company Is Always RIGHT' mode. Hard to get money transferred based on WU new policy implemented to control major theft.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Company did not speak for Pakistani customer. OK, The Government of Pakistan made the rule that through Western Union money can be send only to blood relation outside the Pakistan but the problem I got due to this thing is that Late Mrs. ** made me the owner of her 5 Million $ which are in Primerica Financial Insurance Company & company said to me that send 700$ of the fee of company & mailing important document charges then they will send my money to my bank account but I did not get my money because Western Union did not send my money according to the law of Pakistan. This is very nice that Western Union follow law but please when the company is registered then why can not anybody send money through Pakistan, this voice Western Union has to raise & tell about this problem to the Government of Pakistan & say please change this law or make it easy. Thanks.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have used Western Union to send money to my fiancé and to an orphanage in Kenya. All of a sudden Western Union decided that I was being scammed and blocked me from sending money anywhere, even in the US. I don't know if they put people on a list that says they can not send money, but after this I have blocked from sending money with MoneyGram and Ria as well. I thought I was the only one, but after reading all of these reviews, I can see that I am not the only one that has had a very negative experience with Western Union. My advice: Don't use Western Union! I don't know why Homeland Security hasn't checked this company out! They are probably the ones providing whomever with the monies that they are accusing other people of being scammed over!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I had to get refunded for my RENT money orders. I followed procedures and after 3 weeks got checks. I went to every place I could to try to cash. I needed it for deposit on new apt. They could not be cashed. They sent new checks which also couldn't be cashed! My lease is up and I have no money to move. Western Union/Wells Fargo made me homeless! And they owe me $1000. They claim it's being sent by wire transfer but they didn't give me a tracking number. What kinda heartless monkeys are working there? I have been dealing with this since Nov 2018. It's Mar 13!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I tried to arrange a payment for an account that was due by 2:00 pm through Western Union since 9:00 am in the morning. First, I tried online and kept getting a message that said "Oops, technical difficulties, try again later." After 45 minutes I then went to a store location where the payment would have cost me $9.99. The store was unable to process the transaction and after waiting on hold for an extended period of time was told that WU would not process the transaction and I could ask for a re-evaluation.

I left the store and since I had no other option I called WU and spoke with a Customer Service person who said that I could arrange for the transfer by phone but it would cost $64. A young lady arranged the transfer and told me it was approved and gave me a tracking number. I then got an email an hour later saying WU needed more information and to call within 24 hours or the transfer would be cancelled. I called as instructed and was told that the compliance department was denying to process the transaction. I asked to speak with a supervisor and after again a long period on hold arranged for a callback.

In the meantime I found another way to make the payment in time and made the arrangements. However, when I signed into my Bank Account I found that Western Union had already requested the funds. I called and spoke to another Western Union representative and was told it could be up to 3 business days before the funds would be refunded. I strongly objected and when I explained that it needed to be done immediately so that the intended party could have the funds by the deadline the representative hung up on me. I called back once more and finally got through to a supervisor who agreed to email the compliance department and have them expedite the refund. However, hours later and the transaction has not been cancelled and the funds have not been released.

This whole situation is untenable for the following reasons: 1. The website message was inaccurate and misleading. 2. Western Union has determined to deny me service without any explanation of the reason and without any reasonable opportunity to respond to concerns. 3. I was told the transaction could occur and was approved verbally but sent an email that there was a problem. However, when I followed the automated prompts the system kept saying it was under review. 4. The use of email to communicate issues when my phone number was available and could have been used to clarify what was happening. If I had not happened to check my email I would not know even now that the transaction was not going through.

5. The exorbitant inflation of the cost of the transfer from store to phone - a 6 fold increase! 6. The fact that a refund could take up to 3 days when it took less than 2 hours for WU to withdraw the funds from my account even though they were not going to process the transfer. As a result of WU actions, the payment may not be honored by the deadline. This could have a devastating financial impact on me and I still do not even know why this has happened. I will never again try to use Western Union and will make sure everyone I know understands what has happened.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I sent money from a Western Union branch in the UK. Unfortunately my purse got lost and in it was the receipt of the transaction so I wasn't able to send the MTCN to the receiver. I contacted WU to tell them of the issue and tried to get a refund from the branch where I sent the money. They won't give it to me even after presenting the Passport ID that I used. Three months later and in a foreign country, and communicating back and forth through e-mails and by phone, still the issue hasn't been resolved.

I was given the same answer every time I call them: This is under investigation!!! Until when, may I ask? When am I going to get my REFUND??? After 10 years??? Or when I'm dead of stress or boredom? Please don't use this courier as it is the worst in customer care. By the way, I've been using WU for years but they won't even recognise and reward my loyalty by facilitating my refund. Is this the generic answer to every query?: "This case is under investigation!" I rest my case but the next letter will be to the OMBUDSMAN!!!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I send money to my mum. She never get that money. Instead she has been told that her money was already withdraw but someone else. This is the worst experience ever. I will never trust this company anymore.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I sent money to my daughter abroad and after a few times I was no longer able to send anything. I went to the physical Western Union office and was again turned down. The customer service person on the phone promised me the issue would be resolved and four weeks later after providing photos, copies of passports and birth certificates etc Western Union still decided I wasn't really related to my daughter or something and refused to do any business with me. This is a disgusting way to do business and they are a terrible company to deal with.

Original review: March 2, 2019

The worst ripoff scheme I've ever witnessed in 50 years. Use W.U. at your own peril. If you are really needing to move money dependably, use a bank. It's cheaper, safer, and far more dependable. If you like talking to people who can't speak English after you've had 2600$ locked down in W.U. Hell and the supposed receiver of the money in full blown panic mode then you've come to the right place with this bunch of cons. I only used them because the receiver of the funds wanted to use them. Never, ever, again. Pony Express would be just as dependable. Like I said, user BEWARE.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I usually send money through Western Union, I tried to send money a few weeks ago and got error code C2008, it asked me to wait and try again later. I totally forgot and a few days later I try and the same happened. Finally yesterday I decide to call "Customer service" and they tell me that my account has been place in a "hold". It has been "blocked". I was expecting I would get an explanation, but they just asked me to email the GCR department and they will send me a form to fill out so they can review my account. This is a ghost department, they don't have a phone number to reach anyone nor they answer emails.

With that being said, I am now concerned as to whether my account has been compromised, and the worst is that they will not give you a fair explanation. How do they expect customers to beg them to use their service. First of all your customer service has a lot to improve, the rates are very high compare to others, I just use this company because it is convenient for my relatives back home. I will definitely review all my credit reports to check for any unusual activity but it is frustrating and concerning that a company is allowed to run business this way in the United States. It is my right to be informed of the status of my accounts especially if sensitive financial and personal information is involved.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I usually send money by WU, and I have account with them, but that time I tried to send to the same person I sent before, they said that I cannot send because it's something like fraud. So it's illegal sending, it's my money that I work for, and they treat me as a bad person. I will start to send by PayPal or another way, because Western Union has no more credibility for me.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Today, the cashier refused to give me a money transfer from my father at the official transfer point WU. Cause. I am an immigrant by marriage. I have a given a green card, which is equivalent to a passport. 2 years have passed since the change of the green card. At this moment, the immigration service issued me a green card extension. The document is sticky to the photo of the green card, which says that the "green card was extended for 18 months." The green card and its renewal is one document. But I was still refused to be given a transfer, as they said that my documents are expired!!! Explain to me somebody why?

The immigration center says that I can travel and use this document as a temporary passport, and at the point of issuance of transfers I received a refusal because I have “no confirmation of identity.” This is a gross violation of the rights of immigrants! Can someone explain to me the reason for the refusal to give me a transfer? I have a photo document, and the second document confirming that the first one was extended for 18 months. Why did they refuse to give me a transfer?

Someone can explain to me the reason for the refusal to issue a money transfer. There is a passport, there is its renewal of passport, why was I refused to issue a money transfer? Wester Union Union. Please pay attention to the work of people in the official points of issuance of remittances. Because of the incompetence of the staff of this place, people refuse your services and switch to other money transfer services. The address of the place where I was refused to issue a transfer for inexplicable reasons: 2531 Foothill Blvd, Rock Springs, WY 82901, Smith's. 2/22/2019.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have transferred Money through so many other site like Remitly, Xoom and had best experience with them but Western Union Sucks!!! Instead of Money transfer process in 5 business day (unlike the others take minutes to make transfer), On the 7th, out of nowhere getting email saying transfer had been canceled while tracking status shows transaction completed!!! Called the customer care several times about it and was told that it takes another 3-5 business days to get the money back to my account.

They keep on adding 48 hours timeline every time after call or online chat and not update!!! Worst experience ever. How come transactions from all other services are not rejected by recipient bank and only western union ? These people are holding funds for endless time and making interest money/exchange rate money on those funds in name of Bank's error/cancellation!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It's the second time that I couldn't send money to Dubai for the purchase of an electronic programmer. I'm in the automotive business and I'm using this smart people for years as tech support also. Western Union potentially they tried to slow down my business. Without this electronic devices is not possible for me to work but With this tools I have a job and also can offer work for others. I use MoneyGram without any problems and much cheaper!!! I'm working already with the equipment which I ordered from Dubai already 3years. Western Union instead investigate people (which is police job), they should do psychologic test for people who wants work there. This way you can understand who is terrorist and who is doing a business working hard.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs