2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5
Based on 2,440 ratings submitted in the last year

Western Union Reviews

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Was having trouble but got Josh & he resolved my issue be fine. Josh from customer service helped my son have a great Christmas, how do you Express thanks for that? If I owned a financial institution, I would want to clone employees like Josh. Hands down, no joke, Thank you Josh.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I made a transfer from Canada to my bank account in Jamaica. This was my first such transfer. I kept checking on the progress of the transfer and the status remained at "Direct Deposit to be made to Receiver's Bank Account". So after 3 days I contacted the Western Union in Jamaica to find out what was happening. Needless to say, I was peeved as I could not get any information because after speaking to the first agent, I was placed on either a hold with no sound to let me know I was holding or transferred to a number that rang endlessly while my phone minutes kept on going - running up my bill.

I contacted the Canadian agent today and to my dismay he told me I have to speak with a Jamaican agent (I almost cried). But God would have it going my way when I got a hold of Nyoka ** a Customer Service Specialist in Jamaica. She took control and in no time I understood what was happening and she got the matter resolved. She emailed me relevant documents and her response time to my queries via email was exemplary. I am keeping her contact in my email because I know I will be doing further business with Western Union and my experience with her will drive me to reach out to her once again. THANKS NYOKA. YOU HAVE REDEEMED WESTERN UNION.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Quick and Easy. Cost to get a Money Order from my local Meijer is less than $1.00. I send to family and they can cash or deposit even at their local bank branch, not just Meijer (major superstore here in Michigan).

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was scammed. Western Union gave full refund. Very happy. I was scammed through MONEYGRAM. They hung up on me and ignored the problem. WORSE service ever. They don't care. I cannot say enough about Western Union and their GREAT service. Thank you. Very appreciative. Amazing company.♥️

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I been a customer of Western Union since some time. Since past 1-2 years I do not use it because they cancel your transaction after 5 minutes and will hold the money for 7 business days. They will not answer your questions properly... They put all the blame on the recipient's bank. This is how they make money... Stay away from Western Union money transfer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Invested in bitcoin by the company promised that profits will be remitted by Western Union. Western Union services was abused by a third party but Western Union is not serious to help me and help their company while their image was tarnished and damages done.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Was trading to send a couple bucks many times from my pers debit account to same people like before and get declined for some ** reason, is better to use Moneygram service, This idiots just trying to keep themself busy.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I used at their first time Western Union online, I thought was easy transfer from my bank account in Miami to another bank account in Colombia but was terrible, I did it on Sunday and next day I got an email saying was an incomplete information from the bank in Colombia. I called western union trying to resolve the problem and they told me, "Do not worry. The problem has been resolved and you are gonna get your money to your bank in Colombia on Thursday'" and guess what? I got an email saying that my money was refunded to my bank in Miami and it takes 3 to 5 business day because there was not enough info from the bank in Colombia, sooo they lied to me and I needed my money that Thursday. They hurt to me and now I have to stay longer in Colombia because It was for an urgent surgery, this service online is so bad I do not recomended to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Someone sent me money with Western Union using my first and last name. My ID has my first and last name, and a middle initial. Western Union refused to release the money because my ID had a middle initial that was not in the western union document. I asked the sender to reverse the transfer. He told me western union made the process impossible to complete. To make matters worse, I was dealing with a customer service individual in India who seemed to be determined to be rude and make it as difficult as possible to get the money out. To this day, I have never received the money from western union. Talk about crooks!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I sent money to my sister because she needed it right away. She drove miles to get to the nearest WU. Then WU hold the fund because my sister is claiming it. She had to wait hours there until I was able to make the call WU requested. Why do I need to call to release the funds? Why ask unnecessary questions like whats the money for, how often do we communicate and in what form. Create a 2factor authentication or send us a code when someone is claiming the funds so we can inform the receiver. Needing to call WU department to verify the transaction is a waste of time. Do not force the customer to call your department just because the receiver of the funds is claiming the money.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team