2.2/5 (129 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: May 17, 2022

Really bad service. Maybe it’s time for new competitors to get them out of business. I keep calling to inquire why my account is locked and nobody has an answer.

I keep running in a circle, seems to me all political matters whenever a Middle East person send money to family members. It happened to me, my brother and three of my friends, should be no room for discrimination…

Original review: May 17, 2022

I was trying to send money to UK urgently. Transaction was put on hold. A rep from WU called from some other country and asked some questions and then I got email that it was declined. I wasted over 1 hour with no valid reason for the decline. All the reps are non-americans and have no answers. They are unable to give valid answers and just waste your time. Their service is horrible. They would decline transaction without any reasonable justification. You get an email that your transaction was declined due to business decision! You just wasted your time. I called my bank first and requested them not to decline my transaction and they gave me OK so it wasn't an issue from my bank. Simply put.... This company is a fraud and waste of time. I would use remitly or Ria instead.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Had to send some money to Ukraine. It's war over there. Western Union advertises "no fees" transfer. So - I sent $200.00. No fee - they charge $22.00 for fast delivery. No option of regular delivery. Plus - they discounted conversion rate. Basically - "no Fee" equals to about 23% of the transfer amount. Liars and ripoffs.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I used their website to send $100 to a friend. It appeared the transaction waiting for me to click on the Confirm button so I clicked it twice. It provided a message indicating I had already sent a duplicate amount to this person and told me to review my History page and if it wasn't reflected there to restart the transaction. I didn't see the transaction on my History page so I restarted the transaction.

I got to the same point only before restarting the transaction a third time I decided to look at my bank account and noticed it had charged me twice. I then went to the History page and it showed two separate transactions. I called customer support because both transactions showed pending. I explained the situation to three different people who barely spoke English and each time was told I was being transferred to their billing department so they could process a refund. After thirty minutes of trying to get someone from their Billing Department I was told that they were sorry but both transactions had already gone through. They complain of fraud and scams when it seems clear that they are the ones committing both!!

Original review: April 21, 2022

I started a transfer online and I chose that the receiver pick up the money in USD. They had me go finish the transaction on the store, for some reason. They changed it to a different currency without asking me, and when I called to complain they would not correct their mistake. I ended up losing a lot of money due to their exchange rate that is a big to off.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I sent money transfers to UAE. They held my remittance as they needed identity verification which they approved after submitting the documents they required from me and interviewing me on the phone. They informed me that the other transfer was canceled, which was fine, but I specifically told them that I needed the other transfer to go through as the money was for legal fees and needed to be paid on a Thursday as Friday is a day off in UAE. I was sent an email informing me that the urgent and vital tracking number was ready for pick up by the receiver which I relied on.

My niece went to pick up the money and she was informed that the money was received and picked up by ME. How can I picked up a money in UAE when I live in Australia? I called up the customer service and I was given a run-around from 12:30 midnight of Friday and was awake the whole as I was assured that the KYC department will call me immediately. I waited for nothing because no calls were made. Because of this bungled management of Western Union, my case is jeopardised. I continue to receive emails with the same content and they continue to call my number, which I have emailed them several times that my number is not accepting their calls as their number is reported "SUSPECTED SPAM CALLS".

Now conveniently they marked my money transfers as "CANCELLED" and the refunds will take forever after they bungled up my money transfers and my legal case. I pay all the fees that Western Union charge when you are sending money through them, but the kind of customer service is not even a quarter of the 100% satisfaction, because the customer service is insensitive, arrogant, void of compassion and understanding and knowledge that Western Union is making a lot of money from the fees and charges from customers who regularly use their service. Customers do not deserve to be maltreated and ignored, and phone calls to be hanged up and abandoned because the customers are hysterical for the reasons Western Union and employees caused.

There are many money transfers and most of them are reliable and knowledgeable of what they do and why there are in that business. Do yourselves a favour - "Do not use western union", they will not return the money on time, after they bungled up your transactions. How can you resend that money when western union is still holding captive in their account the money you sent through the money transfer they cancelled. Yes, they can cancel, but not after you explained the urgency and importance of the money transfer and assuring the customer that the money transfer will not be cancelled. They cancelled my money transfer after they assured me that the money transfer will go through. They have caused me so much stress, and anxieties to the point of me breaking down. I cannot forgive you western union. You are the worst!

Original review: April 3, 2022

This was the worst experience I had for money transfer. The website said 0-3 business days even with the bank transfer and it took 6 business days, the staff was not helpful and suggested no options to support me. Plus when my dad went to pick the money, they wouldn't accept his government sponsored Driver's license. I will not be using this service again.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I had a problem sending money and called customer service two times. People from customer service sent me two times to "robot" answering phones. it was very hard to hear, the agent's voice was interrupted all the time. Western Union Customer Service absolutely useless. I tried different solutions and solved this problem myself.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I purchased three money orders in the amounts of 300, 300 and 205. Ultimately the m.o. did not make it to their destination, I'm assuming due to our postal service. Nevertheless, Western Union was able to issue refund checks for each m.o. for a fee of 15.00 each. Once I received the checks I was unable to deposit them into my bank account because they would not accept that "type of check". I then went to three different check cashing agencies in my area and was unable to cash them because they are apparently "starter checks". This is when my nightmare really began. Long story short, all western union could do was reissue the same check that no one will cash. I was hung up on literally eight times. I asked for a supervisor on four separate times and was placed on indefinite holds. On my last call I was placed on hold until customer service closed. Called the next day (3/25/22) and got the same "reissue check" script. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 18, 2022

This isn't the only time I've had problems with these guys. I accidentally sent money to a scammer and now I can't even send money to my wife because I need an "evaluation". Such discrimination but these pukes will let's scammers use it all day long

Western Union author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Western Union Company Information