3.51/5
Based on 1,887 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Western Union

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Western Union Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

I made a transfer from Canada to my bank account in Jamaica. This was my first such transfer. I kept checking on the progress of the transfer and the status remained at "Direct Deposit to be made to Receiver's Bank Account". So after 3 days I contacted the Western Union in Jamaica to find out what was happening. Needless to say, I was peeved as I could not get any information because after speaking to the first agent, I was placed on either a hold with no sound to let me know I was holding or transferred to a number that rang endlessly while my phone minutes kept on going - running up my bill.

I contacted the Canadian agent today and to my dismay he told me I have to speak with a Jamaican agent (I almost cried). But God would have it going my way when I got a hold of Nyoka ** a Customer Service Specialist in Jamaica. She took control and in no time I understood what was happening and she got the matter resolved. She emailed me relevant documents and her response time to my queries via email was exemplary. I am keeping her contact in my email because I know I will be doing further business with Western Union and my experience with her will drive me to reach out to her once again. THANKS NYOKA. YOU HAVE REDEEMED WESTERN UNION.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Quick and Easy. Cost to get a Money Order from my local Meijer is less than $1.00. I send to family and they can cash or deposit even at their local bank branch, not just Meijer (major superstore here in Michigan).

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was scammed. Western Union gave full refund. Very happy. I was scammed through MONEYGRAM. They hung up on me and ignored the problem. WORSE service ever. They don't care. I cannot say enough about Western Union and their GREAT service. Thank you. Very appreciative. Amazing company.♥️

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

It is been 3 full Business days now and the Western Union web site https://www.westernunion.com says the following: In progress. We're verifying the details of the money transfer as a part of our standard process. No action is required. I have no idea how long it will take to process the 500$ payment.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I have never used Western Union before but today I wanted to send some money to a friend of mine in Ohio. After I put all the information in I was grilled about how I knew him, how long, why I wanted to send it and it goes on and on. After a little bit they decided they would not send it. I couldn't believe it! I guess I failed the test! I thought this company was in business to transfer money. This was one of the most awful experiences I've had! How they stay in business is a mystery to me!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

My family sent $1,100 to Liberia to address a time-sensitive urgent issue. After waiting one week we learned the transaction was cancelled. The company refused to give a reason and told us to wait one additional week for a refund. We had no choice but to wait. Much to our dismay on the second week we were told the funds would be returned in 11 days! Meaning our money has been stuck in their system for approaching one month with no explanation. The delay has created a tremendous hardship. We will NEVER use Western Union again, and encourage others to find an alternative, but never trust your hard-earned money to Western Union. For most average families $1,100 is a lot of money.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

WU has been a disaster from the beginning. They won't indicate where and what amount you can pick up. You have to call the location to figure it out for yourself. Once you get there they had my payment on hold, the agent had to call them to clear this up, they couldn't clear it up. I was instructed by the agent to call WU myself and after a 1 hr ordeal the payment was finally available. They are a complete disaster.don't waste your time. There are plenty of other online options that work. Western union is useless.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

My family send me 2900 USA from South America to US. I went to 5 different location and all of them told me that they did not pay that kind of money. I called WU and they gave me 3 address. Two of them I already visited. I went to the last one and you got it, they said NOPE. I called again and explained the issue. They gave me others address and finally one location paid me. I went to 7 different locations, my English is not good enough to explain my feeling again this joke company. They play with people time. Hope something better come out but this one is gone forever.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Too bad there is not a negative rating. BUYER BEWARE!!! I bought $3600 worth of money orders to cure a foreclosure. The mortgage company did not accept the payment and returned the money orders. I returned the original money orders AND receipts to Western Union, Englewood, CO for a refund and have been getting the runaround for over 2 months. Now they are asking me to fill out a whole new set of paperwork and and wait up to 2 more months for a refund because they have "no record of receiving the money orders".

I sent the money orders 2 day air and the delivery was confirmed. I emailed copies of the money orders, receipts, proof of delivery, and everything else they asked for, was directed to email 4 different "departments", and had to attach all the information each time with no resolution. Further, I have another $5000 to return from the same attempt to cure my foreclosure and no one will give me information on how to make sure this will not happen again. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

This company charges you the highest rates to send money. They tell you this is how much is costing you to send money but on the other end the get less than you paid for. When you complain they tell you the rates changed from the time you send the money till the time the other side received it. Even though the receipt they provide us with clearly indicates the exact amount of money the other side will receives. Yet when the other side went to pick up the money they have short changed them. I will NEVER use Western Union ever again. I don’t recommend them to anyone anymore.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs