1.21/5
  • 1 star
Based on 122 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

684 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

It took 3 days and 3 different agents locations in order to get a $500 money transfer completed. And my son could not get full cash. The store did not have enough cash. They paid him $200 in cash and $300 in a prepaid card (which costs fees to use.). The same issue existed for my grandson in the same amount of $500. WU told me to have them check other agent locations...and they would not refund $12.50 fee each I paid for Money in Minutes service. Very disappointed. First and last time I will use Western Union. Wish I had checked Consumer Affairs prior to use. SAD!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

It's crazy what is happening to me. My mom sent me money from DR to USA because I have an emergency and she sent the money early in the morning around 9am and it's 7pm and I couldn't get my money because there is not an agency that can cash me 1,800.00. I been calling to Western Union customer service asking for help and they been sending me to agents that can't cash the money. This is a nightmare. Omg! Never use Western Union.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

There is a space for a name and one for the last name. You have to include the middle name, otherwise the receiver doesn't get paid. You write the names in the right order, then when the receiver goes to get paid, it appears in different order, for example the middle name is at last. It takes 3 or 4 phone calls to get it right. They should release the money even if the names are not in the right order. They have, number of transfer, name of the sender, address of the sender, amount sent, ain't that enough? This happens every single year when I send money for Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I've been using WU for years, along with RIA, MoneyGram, and other transfer services for sending funds to other states, other countries. In 2016, the Central Bank of Nigeria blocked WU, Moneygram and other companies for the nefarious practice of overcharging families who were attempting, like ours, to fund family members either traveling or working throughout Lagos. Their main complaint was fraud. Not once in more than 100 transfers I made, were they able to provide a single piece of evidence. Unlike legal proceedings, they aren't required to. They can simply raise the question and refuse to serve you.

Worse, of 10 receivers I used to transfer, 6 were accused of fraud outright. All six were Nigerian nationals. The three allowed to receive were all American. One of the chief complaints of the CBN was racism, which is rampant through the financial services industry. MoneyGram is even worse than WU, not allowing ANY transfers to Nigerian nationals at all, in an attempt to get revenge on the CBN for stopping relations with that company. It's nearly so bad, that you need to have a bank account with Bank of America, which has branches in Lagos, or some means such as cryptocurrency. WU and other companies in this business, make money from delaying your transfer. That's the size of it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

They couldn't send my transaction after I paid for it. And when cancelled it took me 20 days, tons of emails and calls to make them send my refund. At the time of writing this I still didn't got my refund. Also I had to send a bank statement to prove I haven't received the refund yet!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My son is mentally disabled. I send him his money in small amounts, and every other day. Western Union recently informed me I was no longer allowed to send money through them because of suspicious activity of frequent transactions. My sister sends me my son's money. I was frequently receiving money in small increments because of the cost of larger increments. I went to pick up my transaction today and was told I wasn't allowed to pick it up and it was being refunded.

My fiance is stationed out of the country and has money sent to me, that transaction was also refunded and I wasn't allowed to receive it either. I'm very upset with Western Union for labeling me as suspicious for sending my disabled son money. They have no idea who I am nor what goes on in my life. What could possibly happen with $10 a day every other day? My sister has also now been blocked from making any transactions as well. She cannot send my son any money. They tried to verify who she was by asking her a question about her husband's uncle. When she told them she didn't know him, they told her they couldn't verify her identity. She's no longer allowed to use their services.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This Western Union remittance center don't accept legit customers but just wondering when these scammers sent money to their services, they will allow it. My partner had been using for two years sending our allowance from Australia to my country Philippines, and just this year they have been questioning as to what the remittances for?? You are not loyal to your good clients but these illegal activities can easily access your services??!! If our family is building a house, just like my cousin from Germany, she is helping her parents to build a concrete house and believing that your services would be of big help?? But what you did, you stopped her from sending money to her parents??!! Same case as mine. DO NOT FOOL GOOD CLIENTS with integrity. We are legit people in my country.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I walked into the Western Union outlet at WALGREENS #15360 (801 7th St Nw) today (Nov 21) at 2:15 pm and there was hardly anyone to attend to me. After standing for about 2 min a lady showed up and asked me if I was sending or receiving money and I told her that I was receiving. She then told me that she doesn't have enough money, even before asking me how much the amount was. She then asked me how much was the amount and I told her $150 and that was the start of her unprofessional customer service. She then asked for my ID and I gave her my passport and the world cannot believe this lady asked for my State ID (as if she saw me as a criminal) and when I told I her that the passport should do, she then asked for my address (which I gave her).

Throughout this process, she kept raising her voice as if to say she was expecting me to speak better English and made me feel really threatened to produce an American accent which I don't in any way have. Are these staff really trained and exposed to serve a diverse client base? After several attempts she told me that she could not process the money and that I should find another outlet that handles paper processing. I then asked myself if this was the Western Union I once felt so highly of... NEVER AGAIN would I do any transaction with them or even recommend it to any of my friends or relatives. Very bad service and up till now, my money has not been processed, so I'm canceling the transaction. What a bad day!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Sent money to Portugal, $500 was supposed to be 426 Euro or 0.85. When money was received Western Union paid 0.76 or 382 Euro. I called Western Union and was told that the exchange rate fluctuates - so in 10 minutes it went from 0.85 to 0.76 (when money was received) and then when they left back up to 0.85.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Every time I send money to my brother in law in Nigeria using Western Union, they flag me! If you don't want to send money then you should just dissolve your money transfer services! If other people get frauded against, that's not my problem and you shouldn't punish people for wanting to send money. It's not even big transactions I made. Some were 600, some 500. I hate all these money transfer services. They always give everyone who has relatives in Nigeria a hard time sending! Western Union still isn't the WORST ONES THOUGH. The truly worst ones are RIA! But WU is STILL REALLY TERRIBLE!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My dad tried sending me money in order to purchase gas to travel back home. As I went to the location to pick the money up, the transaction had failed to process while my account and tracking number reported to have the money ready for pick up. I spent almost an hour jumping through hoops just to get gasoline money to go home. Instead, I was left shorted out of 50 dollars and could not go home to see my family after four months.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I went Tuesday November 7 to wire money to my daughter checking account. Paid extra to get it within 24 hrs. Needless to say not there. Here it’s Friday and they had some bank issue on their bank so money won’t get to her bank till maybe November 13. Cannot get my money back because it’s in processing which it’s been there since Tuesday. I have called every day and get different lies each time. I went back to where I did transfer and they gave them the runaround and I still don’t have my money. One pissed off person.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Never using Western Union again. I have used them the same way 100 times this year me and my clients. Today I try to receive money and all of a sudden I need every single middle name I have is required? But the 100 other times it wasn’t? Then the sender calls and Western Union says it shouldn’t be an issue and to have me call. I call and a lady named MICA tells me I can hang up if I wanted to talk to someone else and wouldn’t connect me to a manager or another agent and she hung up on me. Also while I’m waiting on the phone the lady who wouldn’t complete my transaction is paying out two ladies without IDs after speaking Spanish with them for like 5 mins.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Two months ago we sent money to our son in California. Suddenly a new transaction took place recently but our son is no longer in California to pick up the money. Western Union tried to blame it on someone hacking into our account. But why would they send money to someone they do not know and never pick up the money. We asked them what happens the money if we never noticed it and it never gets picked up. The manager told us that Western Union holds onto the money until it is picked up. So if we mentioned that if it never gets picked up then, then Western Union holds it forever. She said that is right. So how many people has Western Union done this to and the money is just sitting around in Western Union's account?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I sent my son money 3 hours ago between states and we are still waiting for them to clear it. They charged 22.00 to send 200 and now they are saying we need to send our ID's? They always have a reason why they screw up everything. I used to send money to the Philippines but the agent there always skimmed off the top, the only company that allow it. DONT EVER USE WESTERN UNION. THEY SCREW EVERYONE.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I send some money to a friend in the Philippines. I had to change the name on the transaction so they could pick up the money. Instead of just changing the name, the name change generated a new transaction for the exact same amount as my original request. I have tried to process my refund over WU web page and have had no luck with getting my money back. I have also called Western Union four times to refund my original amount. Each time I speak with someone from a call center overseas and they give me really bad information.

They say it's my bank's fault (I've called my bank and they say they've never seen a request to process the amount back into my account). Western Union also asked for my bank statement to prove I never received the refund (ya right - I'm going to sent that right over to the worst customer service I've ever seen)! I've also been on hold for a long time each time I call into their customer service help desk! I thought Western Union was a reputable company! My friend was able to pick up her money. But to get a refund on my original amount has been crazy. I would avoid doing business with Western Union at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Today we can use the inexpensive bank-to-bank (ZELLE which used to be Clear Exchange) or we can use PayPal. We don't need Western Union. This entire service to exploit the vulnerable few that don't have a bank account. I see in the options "The Federal Bureau of Prisons" which tells me that FBP and WU are jointly exploiting the incarcerated as well. I googled WU and wow! The complaints are really bad. Fraud apparently abounds with this company. No thanks. You want my business? Change your fees to something reasonable and stop the fraud coming from the WU locations.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Western Union needs to be closed their money transfer if don't allow other people to pick up the money. They are really annoying. My bf send me a money today to help me pay the bills of my father in the hospital... I live in CA and he was in Florida. They are sucks because they allow the money to be send out but they won't allow me to pick it up... as if we're doing something wrong. This company is really a sucks. If there is a negative rating, this will I give to WU company.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Appalling service. Western Union you are about as useful as ** on a bull. I send over $100k from AUD and USD every year and you have just burnt a loyal customer. How? Had to message 4 different times to 4 different people at WU as my transfer to my US bank this week had 'failed' but the money was taken out of my account in Australia. The money was no longer accessible in my Australian nor my US account and as a result I was hit with overdrawal fees. 5 days later, the money is still in limbo! After a grueling slow process speaking with 'customer care' they refuse to repay the overdrawn fees caused by your system not working! And when I asked them to refer me to someone who had the power to make such a thing happen your rude robotic customer service rep just ignores it.

How is that fair!? Here's my rebuttal, all funds personal and from my business which trades internationally will now go to your competitors. I also host a group for foreigners living abroad where I will share my experience and also direct them to your competitors. Only posting it on here since it being public seems the only way to get a response. Well done you incompetent pricks!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

On 9/25/17 I sent 800 to my wife in Philippines by Western Union. Western Union notified me my wife had picked up the money but at that exact time my wife was in office of the National Bureau of Investigations getting a Visa but Western Union claimed she was 200 miles away picking up money I had sent. I notified Western Union and when they found out we had solid proof she did not pick up the money Western Union stopped replying. Now I have found this is happening so often in Philippines that money can no longer be sent there. But Western Union has done nothing to refund my money. After filing a complaint with NBI in Manila I find out they have many complaints of Western Union employees stealing money from customers.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

They claim you can send money to various countries, but if you try they deny. Then they call you with rude questions with some guy who can't even speak English and acting like you're the suspicious one. If you refuse to answer their insinuated questions (none of your damn business), they deny the transfer. They're obviously overseas 3rd world call center employees having access to the account information I gave to a company I thought was based in the US are the only real risk of fraud here; not my legitimate attempts to transfer money to friends and family overseas. ** this company.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

My main concern is... Customer Service... Didn't acknowledge the issue and status of the solution regarding Bermuda with no Western Unions. Failure to take action and rather distress by non caring with the incident. Policies throw in my faces and not even a solution since it was their course of action not mine. If you closed down 4 western unions as a corporate decision. Western Union financial bank should have a back up plan to solve clients' services. Instead I get "No" and "I don't know the answer". It rather disappointing. I will never use Western Union again and I am stressing to future clients. Buying we Beware.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I've had good times, and bad times with WU, and after awhile I started to take things personally after not sending my transfers and refunding them most the time now. How are you supposed to get ** done if you only got WU for security reasons. Money Gram is about the same. I'm on a hunch here.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Purchased a money transfer from Western Union. Used recipient's common name to transfer funds. Recipient could not pick up funds because legal ID was under full name. Contacted Western Union but their policy would not allow name change for security reasons. Tried to cancel the transfer via phone and was assured by two representatives on two calls that my money would be refunded within 10 days or less. It has been over 1 1/2 mos and the transaction is still active with no refund. I cannot get Western Union to refund my money or cancel this transaction.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I bought $500 money order which I did not used so I submitted for a refund to Western Union. I received $485 (minus $15 fee) check from Western Union and with Wells Fargo Bank as the issuing bank. When I deposited the refund check to my HSBC checking account and I received a copy of the front and the back of the original check back from HSBC indicated the Western Union/Wells Fargo refused to honor the check, claiming that the check was cleared and $485 had been withdrawn.

I called my HSBC and they informed me that other bank did not honor thus they sent back the copy of electronic check back to me, I contacted Western Union, they claimed the check was cleared and the money in the account was cleared. This really sounds like a 3rd countries fraud except it happens right here in the US. I file a complaint to NJ Banking Commission and don't know when will I hear from them. DON'T buy anything from Western Union!!! I feel sorry for those who don't have a checking account and I am sorry not to buy banker check.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

They cannot fix a problem in a timely way. They say on the phone they will do things, but then don't. They send emails saying they will fix things then don't fix them. They say they will generate a report, then generate a report which is wrong. I have to chase and chase and chase them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have a WU account. I requested sending money on 9/8/2017. Moment later I got a phone call saying it's from WU and asked personal questions in heavy foreign accent. First of all, how do I know if it's not a spam call? After interrogating thoroughly (I gave the caller a hard time), I determined that it was a legitimate call and verified my ID. Shortly after I received an e-mail confirming that it was approved and the fund will be available on 9/14/2017. On 9/13/2017, I received an e-mail requesting my photo ID for verification. I sent it on 9/14/2017.

Two minutes later I got a reply saying that they will review it and contact me within 2 hours. I haven't heard until the following day. The status still says it is pending. I called the customer service. The agent asked me to wait and she apparently checked the status, confirmed my ID that I sent, and processed. The fund became available waiting about 15 minutes on the phone. I have used WU many time in the past and I liked it very much. I am not sure anymore if I will ever use it again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I use WU to send money to relatives internationally. They are very dependable and pay out the money in US $ which is preferable. They also have multiple payout locations, but their fees are rather high.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I purchased Western Union Money Order last year to pay my rent. The money order to made payable to Skylight Real estate. The real estate agent and landlord contacted me to say there was an issue with the Western Union Money Order. The money order was deposited into the business account but the money was not released by Western Union. I contacted Western Union and I'm not getting this problem resolved at all. The landlord called Western Union and she is getting nowhere also. Western Union left a bad taste in my mouth and I warned all friends and family to never purchase Western Union Money Orders or utilize their services. Horrible service. My landlord is out of $1000. Western Union where is the $1000?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

So I have used Western Union a few times before for Sending and Receiving money. When I tried to send money in the past it worked. But every time I try to pick up money it never works and the system is always down!!! So a week ago a family member sent me money and I went to the Western Union store by my house and they told me the system is down. Which was their 3rd time telling me that of all the times I ever went there. And I had to leave and come back later to try again which I did. And it worked.

So today I'm trying to pick up money again and they told me the system is down again this time. (I don't have a car and I was picking up money for food). So I found another Western Union location at Walgreens which I had to walk to in the Sun hungry. And they told me the system was down there too! So I had to walk all the way home with no money or food. I am very frustrated. I want Western Union to know that people depend on this service and sometimes for emergency situations. I wish you guys can be more dependable because you're so unpredictable! I was very upset because I had to do a lot of extra walking and ended up not getting my money today. I give Western Union 0 STARS!!! Next time I will go to Money Gram!

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs