1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

899 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I could not receive money for my mom funeral. A friend of mine in CA. was sending me money only $528.00 just a little to help out and Western Union would not let me pick it up. They send it back to the sender, so I call them and they told me they had to talk to the sender. Not only that. I ask why I could not pick up money or receive money and they would not tell me up to this day. I don't know. And MoneyGram is the same way. I can't receive money or send receive. And that is BS. If someone is sending you money and they pay to send this money why won't they let you get it. They don't know what the problem is, they stop you from getting your money and tell you to tell the sender to call them. They have their phone number. Why can't they call them. And if it is about you they will not tell you anything.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I was trying to send money to a bank to have my car released. After being sent to 4 different locations and giving all my information 5 times, I was finally able to complete the transaction. Each representative said there was an error and it wouldn't go through. Three of them did not speak English as a first language. They were very hard to understand. Each of them gave me a discount code but who wants 50% of nothing. One of them told me he was working from his car! I finally found out I had to go through an agent. By then it was too late to contact the bank. I just got the run around. I will never use Western Union again! And will never send any of my friends to them.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I tried to transfer money at Western Union. I have transferred through online and they told it takes 5 business day (unlike the others take minutes to make transfer).On the 5th day got a mail saying that your transfer had been canceled and called the customer care and was told that it takes another 3-5 business days to get the money back to my account. Worst experience ever. Initially I was not interested but my friend forced me to transfer so I did. Never ever transfer money through this if you have an emergency.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I send my daughter 460 dollars yesterday. I paid 35 dollars for the transaction. I was not asked how the money should be paid, but however it would happen I expected them to be paid either in dollars or in today exchange rate. That should be $408.17. But the agent at the Western Union told my daughter that she only gets 380 euro. Now, I complained over the phone with Western Union and they seem to unaware of the exchange rate or of any other issue related to that. My daughter was cheated of 28 euro and Western Union doesn't feel responsible at all.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

A company that I do some freelance work with in the UK used Western Union to transfer funds to my bank account in Canada. This is the first time they have done so. I received a notification on January 30th, 2019 that "payment has been sent." Today is February 7th and I still haven't received the money. I will make sure that Western Union is never used again to do a bank to bank wire transfer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Hi. I have been sending money by Western Union for several years. All of a sudden they flagged one payment from Canada to my friend in Peru as suspicious (it wasn't). Then my account was frozen after sending another legitimate payment to a different friend in Mexico (they didn't give me any advance warning). I suggest find a different service.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My complaint is against Western Union international money sending.I've been using and sending money to my girlfriend/fiance for over 6 years in Cali Colombia and with no problems, now all of a sudden Western Union has blocked me from sending money to her in Colombia only on a high rate red flag suspicion. Ok I get that somewhat but that is not good enough. Ok after I filed a complaint with the number they gave me they gave me the runaround telling me nothing but that the country was a high risk.

Ok I'm mad now because I've been with this women for 12 years. I support her bills because of the hardships and no jobs in Colombia. I am the provider for her living expenses ok. I explained that to them over the phone through their phone questionnaire because I and we have nothing to hide. But after several calls and emails with autoresponders back from Western Union saying that they will review within 48 hours. But still nothing. No explanations. Finally they asked me to send documents verifying my relationship with the receiver, her birthday, reason for sending etc. And my personal documents like a photo of bank statements of my proof of income. And I did all of that plus another work photo and even my work number if they needed to call to prove I worked there.

So I got another as usual an autoresponders email back saying that they received my documents and thanked me. Then said they will review them and will get back in touch with me if they need any other documents from me. I have all my emails to prove our back and forth email talk wherever. So after I called them back with no avail and emailed them several times for an update on my case reinstatement review no feedback for several weeks until Feb 3rd this morning in which I was livid to find that they have decided to do discontinue my sending and receiving of my Western Union privileges but without any reason why. So as you should know I upset with this company with their decision. Because they have not tick any reason why they are blocking me.

Now my name is tarnished with MoneyGram, Ria services because I believe Western Union they have Tarnished my name for no reason explained to me and wow I feel like a criminal. That is bad business on their part and so unprofessional. So I am going to look more info this to clear my name. All I have to say is, "SHAME ON YOU Western Union. I'm very disappointed in you all after I have been faithfully using you all these years. I will never recommend you to anyone else ever again."

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My parents sent money to a relative who lives abroad and is sick, they send him monthly allowances since he is sick and developmentally challenged. No relatives there and we can't ask anyone to help. He needs money for food and medications. About a week ago, we called to see if he got the money and find out he did not get them this time. I called WU, they claimed they randomly checking transactions and my relative needs to call 1800...number. The problem is he has limits and is not capable to perform such task due to developmental issues. When I asked to cancel the transaction, a person on the phone refused to do so saying that a recipient has to call first. I asked for a manager, he repeated same thing, then he said he will transfer my call to another department, I was on the phone for about 30 min and they disconnect the call. I am so upset. This is total scam. I need my money back so I can use another bank to sent again...Frustrated.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I would never recommend Western Union to anyone. I have a girlfriend from Ukraine that's family is poor. I have sent a few times to help them improve their lives. I am not being scammed, and have met her and gone on many dates with her. They always question if I am being defrauded when I call. Now they are trying to say that I sent too much money this month, which is a lie. I sent much more other months. Now I read that they have probably reported me to the IRS as suspicious. I will be suing them shortly.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

The customer service is horrible. Every time I use Western Union services at TA truckstop I get a headache. The customer service department are very rude and they act like they do not comprehend English. I had to wait 2 hours in the store calling back and forth to customer service to get my money to go through. I had paid the amount in the store and used my points to get a discount. So the man gave the store manager an invalid code. Then they wouldn't pick up the phone. It was terrible. Then I had asked to speak to a manager and they put someone on the phone who wasn't even a manager and gave the incorrect code again.

This was very frustrating and something needs to be done about this terrible customer service. Customer service representatives should be able to talk and comprehend English. So ridiculous!! This is the number I called for customer service **. I use Western Union to send money too much for this horrible customer service to continue.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

WESTERN UNION IS A SCAM!!! My wife and I had run into a little financial trouble and her dad sent money to help get us back on our feet. He went to WESTERN UNION to send the money. I went to pick it up and the first place said I couldn't get it because all they handled was 300 or less. Well it was a lot more than 300 so I called WESTERN UNION and they gave me a name of a place to pick up that amount. Well after 8 calls to WESTERN UNION and having to deal with rude and Crude and socially unacceptable people I finally find a place. And after all the trouble of running all day and into the next morning they tell me the money was on hold and I couldn't pick it up until her dad calls them. So he did.

After going through some personal questions and why he was sending the money they still wouldn't release it. Instead they penalize him after him paying extra money so we could pick the money up in A-day. They penalize him and kept $300 of his money instead of giving it all back. Now if that isn't a scam I don't know what is. Their customer service is a joke and all I had talked to was VERY RUDE. Now we didn't get the help when we needed it and her dad got taken for 300. You tell me where that is fair... I really wish I didn't have to give a star. They really don't deserve it so 0 stars from me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Been using WU for over 10 years both paper and online to send money abroad to girlfriends and family members all of whom are known personally to me. All of a sudden my online transactions are blocked and then refunded and trying to use an agent results in the same. No sensible reason given by WU. Just automated emails. People running WU are not fit to run a sweetshop let alone a multimillion dollar company. I now use my bank to send money abroad so WU are the losers.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Hi everyone. So I was scammed $200 and I reported it to Western Union to someone I thought I was helping. I didn’t ask for a refund or anything. I just wanted nobody to be able to send money to this person money via Western Union. Instead I got reprimanded for reporting the crime. So here is what happened. They gave me an option to appeal the decision and I did.

So here is the letter they wrote me: "As a financial institution, Western Union is required to comply with industry legal and regulatory standards in the countries we do business. Part of complying with these standards involves performing due diligence to determine how customers are using our services to ensure that Western Union is meeting its obligations under applicable law.

We have reviewed your reinstatement request and have decided to uphold our previous decision on this matter. This means Western Union will not accept any money transfers from you as sender and will not pay out any money transfers to you as receiver. Western Union’s Money Transfer Service Terms and Conditions provide that Western Union and its agents have the right to refuse service to any person. Accordingly, Western Union has made the business decision to refuse and refund any transactions you may attempt to send or receive in the future. On behalf of Western Union, we apologize for the inconvenience this process has caused you."

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

First and last time I use Western Union. Trying to send money to my husband of 11 YEARS while I was out of town. Denied because my email account was new. Yet thousands of people can send money to people they don't know in Africa that promise the sender they will be royalty if they send $10,000. So annoyed.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I had some money orders from 3 years ago, unfortunately I was hospitalized in a mental hospital for the last 3 years. I went to my bank to cash the money orders and was penalized. The reason I was penalized is because the money orders were depreciated. This is unfair because this a money transaction not a coupon. If I brought a car would the dealership take the car back because my money depreciated after 3 years. If I went into a store and paid for my merchandise with a old $20 bill would the store accept it? Western Union is a theft because they aren't willing to give me my money back.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

First off if I could give 0 stars I would. I had purchased a money order for dues for a club I run. I had mailed out the check and it had got lost in the mail. Now I spent hours to get through the horrible horrible customer service they have to try and get somewhere. I was informed I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork and mail in more money to get my money back. Ok fine. Just want to fix this. Said 6-8 weeks after 12. I spent more hours on the phone and was then informed I had to file a police report and send that in.

Another 10 weeks and hours on the phone and was then told there’s nothing they can do. After almost a year with countless letters, hours on the phone etc. I contacted the BBB. Funny thing two days later they responded to the BBB that a full check was being issued... Western Union is a complete scam. Almost a year to get my money back. They want you to give up... Reasons why they have horrible ratings. The customer service has to be the most absolute joke I’ve ever had to deal with. I’ve never been so furious after a phone call. I hope they shut down permanently!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Western Union refused to process my money transfer and canceled my transaction for no justifiable reason. I give them ZERO stars for their service. I am disgusted by their service!! I believe they canceled the transaction because I was sending money to a person who was obviously someone with a ** name in South Africa and they have “policies” in place which are blatantly discriminatory. I completed the transfer online, received my tracking number and everything seemed fine. Then I was informed by the receiver that something was wrong, they had told him the money was returned to sender. I had received no notification of any problem on my end. I logged on the app and found that the transaction was on hold and that I had to call a number to speak to someone within 5 days.

I called immediately and verified my identity, then was asked to complete an interview and answer a number of questions relating to the transfer, who I was sending the money to and why etc. a lot of personal information. I answered all questions honestly and cooperated fully. I was informed that this was just because there had been some fraud with people sending money to South Africa and was understanding of this. However, despite me verifying my identity and confirming that I personally know and trust the person I was sending it to, and having a perfectly valid reason for why they needed the money, they told me they were canceling the transaction.

I was outraged and disgusted. This is a money transfer service not a money loaning service. It is MY money, not their money, and I should be able to send it to whoever I want to. They are losing no money from the transaction. Completely ridiculous reasoning. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they do not have to give me any further explanation and that it was no problem because the money would be returned to me. That is not the point!! I don’t need the money, my receiver needed the money and needed it quickly! Now I have no option but to send via a bank deposit which takes several days.

The whole point of Western Union is that it is supposed to be a fast money transfer service. If they cannot provide the service they advertise then what is the point of them existing?? I 100% believe that if I had been sending the money to a ** South African with an English or Dutch surname then the situation would have been very different. I also have an African surname myself, but I happen to be a ** Australian. I am a registered nurse and an honest and respectable citizen who has never been involved in any type of fraud.

The person I was sending to is the same - a responsible and trustworthy man. But he is African and therefore they concluded it must be fraud. That is stereotyping, it is racist and it is blatant discrimination. It is disgusting and this company should be ashamed of its policies. I hope many people read this review and choose not use Western Union. I have a relative who is a journalist and another who actually works for Consumer Affairs in Australia, so I will most certainly be taking this further and intend to try and make it publicly known that this company practices discrimination. I hope someone from Western Union also reads this comment and realizes that this practice is unacceptable. Not everyone in Africa is guilty of fraud! Now my receiver has been left in a difficult situation with no access to funds all because he happens to be **. Disgraceful. A very dissatisfied customer indeed.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Western Union Service customer care is fraudster, Scammer Company. I have initiated transaction with WU and since my money didn’t reached after promise date, have to cancel the transaction. In this time frame from initiation to cancellation of transaction, money was not debited from my account. And suddenly after 4 days of transaction cancellation my money got debited from my account. I called customer care constantly on this scenario and every customer care representative gave random reasons and after passing 15 days also still didn’t received my money till date. In between this process of money not getting refunded, I got a call from fraudster mentioning him as WU customer care representative and try getting my personal information saying he have all my transaction and case details with him which I was discussing with Western Union people on call for refund of my transaction.

After convincing me by giving my WU transaction details which I was due for refund he took all my details and did fraud on me. Worst experience of my life with Western Union service. Not sure from first day of this transaction I am dealing with fraud people inside Western Union company. I was a very old user of WU but now looks they have change completely and filled scammer people in the customer care representative and definitely recommend not to use this service to avoid and financial and mental trauma on yourself.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Trying to transfer money using their online services is near to impossible. I know where I live, I answer all questions correctly verifying my account and they still cancelled the transfer but no one can tell me why, just that I will receive an email... Ok well I got the email that tells me nothing other than "just do a cash transfer". Not helpful, not to mention each person I spoke with was extremely rude and you can hardly hear them.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

While money has been debited from Brazil, Western Union could not yet provide a merchant location in West Bengal. This is after a weeks of correspondences with their support team. Frustrating. I call and write every morning to their call center and even receive mails mentioning that they will look into. But the same reply for a week.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have been using Western Union for international money transfers from the past 3 years. From the past one month, I have been having horrible experiences with Western Union. Western Union debited the money from my US account and did not credit to my foreign account. When I followed up with them, all they said was this transaction was cancelled. I had to constantly follow up with them to get my money back. It was such a disaster. The recent transaction that I made - the money has been debited from my US account and not credited to my foreign account even after 5 days of money transfer. Hopeless customer care and horrible service. Never ever trust this company for your money transfers.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They converted at the mentioned rate on display. Hid the information that they charge 12% commission. Cheats! I paid 333 AUD as commission, asked them to cancel and they refused. This is absolute cheating/daylight robbery.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have been using multiple International money transfer services and never had such a worst experience as I had with Western Union. They promise high transfer rates and make consumers to deposit money over transfers and then after a week they blame receiving and sending banks for failed transactions and take over a week to refund. This causes huge frustration to me and they never care about consumers as I have tried contacting customer support multiple times and they just go by their rule book. Such a waste of time and money on losing transfer rates. I will never ever go back again with this company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I submitted a bill payment using their online bill pay service, and mistakenly entered the wrong account number for the bill. It was an unmatched account and Western Union was to refund my account. It's been 3 long months of calling on a daily basis, being on hold for hours, being transferred to inepts that dont even know how thing work in the US. Their call center representatives have the worst customer service. They are poorly trained. Show no empathy nor want to help customers. Horrible. This is the last time I will ever send money or pay anything with this company, they are the absolute worst and are legally scamming their customers from their hard earned money, they make it such a difficult and horrible experience to get your money back just so you can let it go and not fight for your money back, but I will take any necessary measures to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have been having an issue for the past 3 weeks trying to retrieve money that I canceled to send and they’ve had my money on hold for 3 weeks now and don’t want to release it. I had been put on hold for hours, transferred from agent to supervisors to managers and no one can resolve my issue. Now it’s been escalated to corporate and their only form of communication they have with corporate is through email and I won’t get an answer for another 24 to 48 hours on top of the three weeks that I have been waiting after being told it would be resolved in 48 hours two days prior. I’ve been ripped off and I’m definitely filing a complaint and taking legal actions to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

FYI just in case everyone doesn't know all Western Union is going to do is block everybody on this site from ever using Western Union again. That's what they have been doing to everybody. If you file a complaint with Western Union you automatically get blocked. These people from the Philippines don't know what the hell they're doing. You're not the problem. The scam artist is the problem. And you can't get the block remove. Everybody's going to have to get together and file a class action lawsuit against Western Union. When trying to get the block removed they want to know where does your money come from how do you make your money. They want to know your tax information you would think you're trying to get a mortgage from their bank. They want to know all your personal information.

It's bad enough they have your driver's license number or your ID number. For some people who give up all the information they still don't lift the block. Western Union is taking advantage of people and I don't think it's legal. Did you too want to know people's tax information want to know how they get their money where is it coming from where they bank at all your personal information just to send money to another country. Not even to Better Business Bureau can get through to them. They just act like they don't know you. I was told you come out better suing them. For some people that send money to places like Haiti and Jamaica the person in the office is taking the money and saying that the money never arrived. Western Union themselves is a scam artist.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was sending some money to Pakistan to my friend as gifts. When I made the transition they did not asked any receiver ID but when they have taken money from account, then they send an email about receiver ID. My friend need money urgently and make transfer from different resources. I asked Western Union to refund my money but customer service told me that they cannot refund money without my friend ID. I been sending money last 18 years and I never had that experience. I never recommend to anyone to use Western Union as they have very bad policy about refund money.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I tried to send $225 to China for a Christmas Gift to a friend. My wire was denied three times on 2 different days. I called customer service and all three times I reached the Philippines, and when I asked to be transferred to a USA representative, I was hung up on. Both banks I tried had plenty of money in them. I answered all the questions and responded to the required security codes from my banks. All three transactions were denied. Their response upon inquiry as to why I wasted all that time. "Your transaction has been denied" after a lot of time wasted on the telephone. I am erasing the app on my devices, and putting a "do not pay" code on my bank accounts. With all the information you are required to give, fraud would be easily obtained. They should go out of business!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Reported to Western Union - I would like to report fraud concerning my recent transaction for Joshua **. Scam, who was to provide a purchase of a Tea Cup Shi Tzu. I have the documents attached to this email. I completed my research concerning websites and found flags with the BBB or on web. However today I received information from the airline WestJet requesting $1,500 to complete transfer on the puppy. After researching this WestJet Airlines email address it show up under scam/fraud.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I was scammed by somebody in the Philippines and when I spoke to the fraud department, I was told that I have to wait 15 days to file a claim that I had been scammed. I was blocked by the scammer and am being ignored by them on another account I made to make contact again. Thanks for letting scammers get away Western Union! I'll NEVER use Western Union again!

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Union Company Information

www.westernunion.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.