2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.8/5 (1599 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I have used this service in the past and it was no trouble if I have to transfer any money anytime soon. I would go back with this service. Western Union is the only money transfer I ever use because it is so easy and it takes very little paper work.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

It's practically foolproof, safe, reliable and dependable, making sure it's delivered to the correct recipient. The recipient must have a valid and reliable ID or password. In between the transfer, if you feel uncomfortable, I want to change your mind. It's very easily to stop transaction.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I was able to send money to my son in another state on a weekend when the banks were closed. He was able to pick up the funds within a couple of hours. I did feel that the cost was high, but when you factor in the cost of labor and security, I can understand the reason.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Worked well, unless the machine was broken. Which was more often than not. Always had to go to Walmart or Walgreens to send money. Other than that, everything was fine.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

If I could give 0 stars, I would! They lie to you about getting the "exact exchange rate" after you pay the transaction fee. But then they charged 25% on top of the fee....which is 16% over the actual exchange rate! When I questioned it they told me the exchange rate can change in 10min.... Turns out Western Union set their own exchange rates and change them frequently. I rang customer service and requested my family get the exact money they sent back. Western union said they could send the money back to them for another fee and another lot of currency exchange. I told them I wasn't informed about the changing exchange rate or that WU set their own exchange rate. WU they simply said "buyer beware". I told them I was lied to by the customer representative at the store.... They said I can't prove that.... Western union is a business that thrives of taking advantage of the despite....and they are very comfortable with that!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Everything completely correct on my side here in the US as the sender (acknowledged by their customer service representative on the 800 number) - Website represents that cash can be received in minutes even internationally - NOT TRUE. If the cash is NOT available for the receiver to pick up then technically the transfer did not go through in minutes. Researched carefully where my friend in Puerto Vallarta Mexico could go to pick up the money I needed to send him. Website list dozens of places as Western Union "Agents". Friend went to 4 different locations that would not give him the money and could not give him a reason why.

I finally called Western Union to find out if there was a legitimate Western Union location in Puerto Vallarta. I was given the phone number 01 800 719 8911 for MEXICO WESTERN UNION CUSTOMER SERVICE and was told to give it to the receiver. My friend proceeded to call the number and was told that the problem was that the locations he went did not have enough cash and to go to a large grocery/department store and he would be able to get his cash. NOT TRUE - THE SAME THING HAPPENED. THEY WOULD NOT GIVE HIM THE CASH. He called the 800 number back and was told that I, the sender, needed to call them. I called the number twice and both times was offered a free promotion for a medical alert system! THEY REFUSED TO PUT ME THROUGH TO A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE.

So I call the US 800 number - a complete and total waste of time since this was an "international" transaction - absolutely no help. Offered to cancel the transaction and refund my money - HOWEVER THEY INFORMED ME IT WOULD TAKE 7 DAYS! Keep in mind that they instantly debited my checking account via my debit card. Keep in mind that I still have a friend in Mexico in need of cash!! Total misrepresentation and false advertising.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Very terrible experiences lately in the name of protecting fraud as they claim. WU is being very unintelligent and unreasonable. Been subjected to some humiliating interrogations after sending monies to family members I have sent money to over a decade. They leave you feeling like a criminal or terrorist. Asking some very personal questions and ridiculous questions repetitively and in different ways. All this trouble for sending even a small amount like $60? After sending money to my sick uncle for his medications they ask me why I didn't send it to my mother instead, really?? I am going to Worldremit and thanks to cryptocurrency growing I won't need this garbage company anymore and enjoy much lower remittance fees and no drama.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I have used Western Union for the past 10 years to remit to family, however, the past 2 years dealing western has been a nightmare. This year is was a struggle to get my transaction history for taxes (it took me 3 months go back and forth with western union). This week on Oct 4 I sent money for my son's school fees only to find out western union has cancelled the transaction without notifying me. On Oct 6 I sent the money again via western union only to be told by my relative this morning the transaction did not exist and when I checked my western union account, the transaction had been cancelled yet again (with no notice).

I called the western office only to be told my transactions were cancelled due to financial regulations that no one reached out to be about. Mind you I sent $185 the first time and $450 second time. As it stands, western is holding my $625 hostage even after cancelling the transactions and I have been told it will take up to 7 days to have the money back. Regulations are there for a reason and if you need to enforce them that is fine, however, you owe your customers a responsibility of keeping them informed. This is insane western team, you ought to do better than this. Please refund my $, I need it for my son's school fees.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Their rates keep going up making it costly to transfer larger amounts. I had a problem on line and called customer service just to be told I had to go to a physical location. The first place couldn’t figure it out so I had to go to another store. I have quit using them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Western Union blocked me after asking me where I was sending my money. I sent it to my son's aunt in Spain to give to him and after a few questions, customer service determined this was a scam! I asked to be reconsidered. Western Union sent me a questionnaire asking my income and paystubs! Really???? I am a customer! You are not doing me a favor. I pay for this service!!!. Outrageous.

Western Union author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Western Union Company Information