1.09/5
Based on 139 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

769 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

My son sent me money through Western Union. I have been sick so he wired it to my husband. I called my son and told him we were ok and to cancel the wire. He has been trying to cancel for 2 days. Customer service told him plus send a email stating my husband name is common so the money has been placed on hold. The next email stated my husband was on a do not send or receive list. So we googled this, it's called a SND list. If this name is on this list it goes on hold to check if you are that person who has ties with organized crime. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of! Lot of names are the same, so beware that Western Union is doing this.

Regardless the sender should have a right to cancel funds as long as the funds have not been picked up. This to me is a discriminatory act! I will be contacting an Atty. My son was only trying to help. He works very hard for his family. So now Western Union tells us we have to pick the money up, we can rewire the money back to my son! It cost money to do this both ways! I find this to be very illegal. Western Union forcing people to pickup and resend so they make money! Anyone has the right to cancel at anytime. Regardless of who is the receiver! That is the sender's money not Western Union! Same if you want to cancel a check, you have that right! Western Union is telling people they can't. I will been putting together a class action and see how many will sign it. Western Union should be ashamed, money that is sent most of the time is to help someone in need.

Original review: June 17, 2018

On Thursday, June 14th 2018, I decided to use Western Union to send an international money transfer for charity purposes. I proceeded to fill out the application online, which was somewhat difficult. I had messed up the name. Western Union would not fix the problem the first time I called on Thursday. I called back Thursday to cancel my transfer. The guy l spoke with stated he cancelled the transfer.

Now, this morning I noticed it was not cancelled. I called once and got tired of waiting on hold for 25 mins. Then, called a second time to cancel my transaction. A Manuel, who I spoke with said all I have to do is send my ID and my check/debit card to myid@westernunion.com. I did as he said, and they still refused to refund my money! They said I need the receiver's information. I'm trying to cancel my transaction not send the money anymore since I have been lied to twice by customer service, and that I messed up the name by putting two first names instead of last name. They still refused to refund my money. Each time I have spent on hold waiting, 20 to 25 mins only to hear false promises of refunding my money.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

After 9 transfers to same person, failure by WU to complete transaction. So spent 30 minutes plus, 3 times on phone and 1 time at 1 hour plus with failure of WU to complete transactions of deposit. Still not obtained refund of 1st WU.

Original review: June 8, 2018

On May 25, 2018, I used Western Union for the first time to wire over $5000 to pay off a debt. At first, WU was very helpful, since I used the wrong method of sending it. So they issued a refund and told me that I could go to any WU location to receive it. Since I had to resend that same amount, I figured that I would go to a full service location, but once there, the agent informed me that they were limited to the amount they could pay out. The agent told me that the bank down the street was also a WU location and that they should be able to help. I spent the next 60 to 90 minutes at the bank, only to be told by WU customer service, that I would have to have a bank account at that location, in order to use the service. Information that the bank itself had no knowledge of.

After leaving the bank, I called WU up and asked for a location that could handled a bill pay amount of that size. They sent me to yet another place that ended up being able to send the money, but had to split the transfer into two, since it was just over their limit. Which also meant double the fee. Now thinking that it was a done deal and that the debt I just paid off would soon be taken off my credit record, the trouble really started. I found out, by the agency I paid, that they couldn't pick up the money because of a wrong city code and that they were told by WU that I had to call to get a code or a number from WU so that they could pick the money up. Upon contacting WU, I was told that they had to contact the company, that the money was sent to, before they could issue a refund and that would take 24-48 hours.

One week later, I am still waiting for that refund. I call everyday and the credit agency I am working with calls everyday and we all get the same scripted response. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience but we can't issue the refund until the other company gives permission to release it. We are going to expedite and it should be another 24-48 hours." As of this time, it has now been over 312 hours and still no refund.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Caused Fiance to be left fighting for life after Western Union did not send money. Adelaide Australia man temporarily in Sydney Australia had wallet stolen. Needed Money urgently from Fiance in Adelaide in order to buy medicine. Believing Western Union was an instant money sending service he stood in a post office in Sydney for 3 hours until they closed after his fiance in Adelaide sent a cash payment of $2000.00 Australian via Unley Adelaide South Australia post office. When the money did not arrive in Sydney despite his fiance giving the MTCN NUMBER he was forced out into the cold night with no money after he had his wallet stolen and not received the money via Western Union. He was found and taken to Hospital after suffering a life threatening condition as a result of being unable to obtain medication as Western Union had not sent the emergency money sent from his Fiance.

Still more than 30 hours later Western Union have no explanation and the cash has still not been released. Adelaide woman who sent the money spoke to the cashier on the post office who she handed the $2000.00 cash plus $25.00 cash transaction fee. The Australia post cashier said she does not understand it as all ID and security questions establishing the sender and receivers' long term 3 year relationship of living together in Adelaide was established. Why Western Union did not send the money and led to the death of the Adelaide man has still not been explained. I now must try to get my money back and arrange for my finance to be returned to Adelaide. How come Western Union advertise as an instant money sending service but allowed this devastating situation to occur. Nothing will ever make up for this gross negligence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have used WU in the past without problem then I tried to send to my husband in Ukraine on business. They put hold and when I called I was subjected to verbal abuse. They made me to feel like I was some racketeer and refused to send. I was humiliated that they can treat people this way and still be in business. I would advise anyone to find another way.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I had someone break into my safe and they took $86,000.00 worth of Western Union money orders. On 4-19-2018 I mailed 20 Research Request Forms with a $30.00 Money Order attached to each form to Western Union. On 4-30-18 the $30.00 money orders were cashed. I called Western Union on 5-24-18 to find out when I would be receiving my refund and was told they had no record of receiving a refund request, even though they cashed the $30.00 money orders. I was told to fax the paperwork, I did. I've been calling every day and no one will help.

Original review: June 2, 2018

THIS IS A WARNING TO OTHER POTENTIAL USERS. DON'T USE WESTERN UNION. On the 5th June 2018 I had a nightmare of an experience trying to send money overseas from New Zealand using Western Union. I had used Western Union in the past with no problem. Two times I loaded a payment and two times my bank deducted the funds from my account but due to technical problems with the Western Union server no overseas payment eventuated. I spent a day on the phone to the Western Union Call Centre in the Philippines and talking to my bank pleading for the refund of my funds. On the 6th June I succeeded in obtaining the refunds. Never again will I use Western Union. I was fortunate in this instance that my small local bank were very helpful in assisting me to retrieve my funds but a larger bank may not be so helpful and the potential exists for users of Western Union to lose their funds completely.

Original review: May 26, 2018

About a week ago I was trying to send money for the first time through Western Union to a family member in Monterrey and I was told I couldn’t die to some red code number on my profile. Gentleman at store helping me gave me his opinion and said that it could be the fact that since my name is too common it could be on a blacklist. Unbelievable! I call western union to clarify and all I get as a response is an email address to which I have to write to and expect some type of response.

Today, my fiancé is sending me money from his work since Walmart system is down and decides to use western union. I figured well this time I’m only receiving not sending so I imagined the transaction would run smoother. Went to the first location and I was told the reason I couldn’t pick it up was due to my name missing my middle name, but a picture of the receipt proved that it was in fact written in full and correctly. Apparently a system glitch. I go to location number two and I was told the same explanation.

I call western union and they tell me that everything is correct on their end, to go back to teller and have her retry. This time I’m told that the same code I was given the first time when I tried to send money is reappearing with red letters saying client not authorized to send or pick up money. This is just frustrating and unreal. Now my fiancé has to go back cancel the transaction and retrieve the money to utilize a different form of delivery. I’m so dissatisfied with their service because I can’t even get a reason why my name is blacklisted.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I had sent money via Western Union to my sister back in Chile a week ago, but she was not able to collect the money. The Western Union agencies claim not to have the cash to pay $600.00 CAD. They said that it was a matter of luck if they have the funds. So after four attempts to collect the money, I decide to cancel the transaction... I was given a number by Western Union to collect the refund, and to my surprise, I encounter the same problem here in Vancouver, Canada, after the third Western Union agency giving me the same answer... "Sorry we don't have the funds."

I called Western Union head office to find where could collect my money, they give me an address in Montreal, and I not kidding you!!! After screaming and apologizing for doing it, feel sorry for the Western Union employee. After four attempts, 60 kilometers, and 3 hours of my time, I finally got my money back!!! So much for Western Union!!! Thanks... I have a PayPal account now!!! Goodbye Western Union.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have been trying to confirm WU received my priority mail containing a $450 damaged money order. The post office delivered it Monday. It's Friday and I can't get anyone to confirm receipt. I have been dismissed on the phone. WU is extorting my money. As a customer I feel mistreated and I am going to file a complaint. I feel robbed and I am going to seek justice. Criminal organization = Western Union.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I send money in cash for an emergency on Tuesday May 15th 2018, by today Thursday May 17th the money still on to hold and the respond from the location that I sent the money and the representatives are that the transaction need to be review with any other common sense explanation. The money transaction was done to be send to the same state (NY) and the amount is not that large like to be considered as a big issue ($2,500). If this will be a case that was involves for "life or death" situation, for sure it will cause death. Besides that, is still an emergency. Never will use Western Union ever again.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have been a WU customer for about ten years. Sending money to the same people, my relatives. They even gave make me a premium member for being a regular customer. One day I received an email with a form to file about my contact info, source of income, job title and my relationship to my frequent recipients. I completed and emailed back to them as instructed in email. After a day a got a call from WU asking the same stupid questions on the form. Repeating what I have already submitted to them. After an hour I received an email saying WU can no longer provide service to me. I call them to find out what on earth is going on. They gave me another email address to forward the email I received from them so they can review. Haven’t heard from them.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Been sending monies via WU for several years which is always a complicated and a disappointing endeavor. From the robo greeter who asks endless and repeated questions to customer service who in their unintelligible English don't seem to know what they are doing. My latest frustrating experience came about when I was charged twice for the same transaction (not surprised). When I asked for a refund (not issued automatically), I was subjected to endless questions and call transfers via the robo greeter. Upon contacting customer service (a significant job in itself) I was told the refund was issued a week prior. When I told them I did not received a refund they politely asked if all of my questions have been answered and to have a nice day! Is there a better and non-frustrating way to send money to a loved one?!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I tried to make a transaction to Russia, and a simple transaction became a nightmare. I kept receiving this error message c2360 (no matter what browser I use (I used three different browser) or computer). When I called the customer service they essentially told me that the problem was my computer (I don't know how because the mobile app gave me the same error) and they offer me a "promo code'' for the inconvenience, which I can use in the store. Guest what? When I arrived to the store, no promo code can be use, and not only that, the fee for make a transaction in person is 400% more. I don't know, but I think they played me to make me spend more money.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I tried to transfer money from my banking account to Ukraine. I received an email that my transaction is under reviewing. After that I received a phone call from WU. I was asked questions about where and how I met people that I transferred money to, what was the purpose of transaction, what is my date of birth. I was assured that all this is done for my protection.

It was strange to provide this information to whoever called on phone. So I said I will call to WU myself. I did and answering machine told me, that I do not have to do anything since my transaction went through. I decided to talk to rep to make sure. When finally I was connected to the rep she start asking me the same personal questions and told me that my transaction DID NOT go through and will not up until I answer all those questions. I said I wanted to cancel the deal and to receive the confirmation email. She hung up without saying anything. THis is the most disgusting experience I ever had.

Original review: May 5, 2018

While making a Western Union transaction on May 3 at 8:30 pm, the customer service associate in Village Market (Roslindale, MA) left me in the middle of the paperwork to serve other customers at the grocery cash register. I had to basically wait until the other checkout is empty even though I was the first in line. Appalled by her rudeness, I later complained to her and the store manager. To my great dismay, they both told me that the owner has instructed them to prioritize grocery sales.

I have never experienced such an unfair, obsolete and bad business policy in my entire life. The owner probably makes more money on foodstuff but to abandon me during a transaction process to serve other customers who look different from me is unheard of and is outright rude to say the least. It might as well be designed to discriminate specific people who send small funds through Western Union. I am a regular user of Western Union and I want them to get to the bottom of this and explain to me why they have a sales point in this discriminatory store.

Original review: May 4, 2018

After having a number of horrible experiences with Money Gram while trying to send money to friends and relatives for various reasons, we decided to try WU. They must have been cut from the same cloth. Same excuses for their failure to deliver, same accusative questioning, same stupid rationale for refusing to deliver. The reasoning they used could have been applied when I placed the order and saved us the frustration. We will be reporting both of these sorry organizations to any and all government agencies for their review. We will not ever use Money Gram or Western Union again!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I’ve been a loyal Western Union account holder since 2006. They were my primary facilitator. I use them every week to send money to my wife and children in Philippines. I also use them to send money to several other countries whenever required. Without explanation or notice, they stopped allowing payouts to my recipients, forcing me to take action from my bank to recover the monies. They never froze my account to stop me making transfers, or notified me of any issue, they simply refuse to pay the money out to the recipients at the collection point. They then tell lie after lie when questioned about the cause of the problem. Today when I questioned them about the ongoing problem, I was simply told that I was “no longer welcome” to use their services.

Later I received an email which contained this paragraph; "We would like to clarify that Western Union closely monitors its transactions. We have a responsibility to preserve a safe and secure money transfer service. As a result of this internal monitoring, Western Union has made the decision to disallow any transaction that will be sent through our services." It appears to me by the wording of that paragraph, that Western Union have ceased trading. Just now I received another email containing this; "Either upon your request or for your protection, we have deactivated your account." I would urge everyone to avoid Western Union as it appears they’ve collapsed.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have been in contact with WU in regards to a letter I received 4/8/218 staying that the money I sent hasn't been picked up. I called corporate in 4/23 to try to get a refund. The agent cancelled to transfer and instructed me to go inside a store with my ID and phone number. I did and was informed that I need a tracking number. So I called back and they told me to call back in 24-48 hrs. I called back on the 25th. I spoke with agent and supervisor (** - Victor who was very rude, kept me on hold for a very long time and eventually disconnected the line). I called back on the 28th. Spoke to supervisor **- Rebacko after telling me to call back 24-48 hrs. Again he was very rude and hung up on me. So I called back today 5-2 and ** - Mark told me the same thing call back 24-48hrs.

I insisted on speaking to a supervisor put on hold for a while to find out their want one available. After waiting on hold her came with a tracking number. I think this was very unprofessional and bothersome as a customer to have this much running around and misinformation to receive money that I sent using your services. I watered time and money dealing this with issue needless to say how much of a headache this had been. Best regards very unhappy customer.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have been using Western Union for 10 years as I am a freelancer and most of my clients are based in USA. The easiest way for me is to get payments from clients in my wife's bank account in USA and then at the end of month send all that money through Western Union to pay my team. But recently Western Union has blocked me from receiving my own hard earned money which is 100% legal. This is the worst thing I have ever heard that due to some security reasons I can not receive money. What rubbish is this.

Original review: April 24, 2018

After money was sent; found out the receiver's ID wasn't current. I tried to change from needing ID to answering a question; I was told they were not able to switch, that I would need to request a refund... then, I was told that a refund would take up to 1-2 days; I went back to the store (as instructed) after waiting 4 days... nope, now I have to wait 7 days and they will credit my debit card... what!?!? If you are going to use Western Union ~ please, go into an agent, then if something goes wrong, someone will help you! Not happy!

Original review: April 22, 2018

If I could give these guys a negative 5 I would, they have double charged me 3 different times. I will never use this company again, I put a complaint in over a month ago and have not gotten my money back. They will be real quick to take your money and double charge you for it but they will not return it.

Original review: April 19, 2018

WU is a corrupt business. I was sent a $50 money transfer from a good friend in Florida. She was told the transfer was being held for a review! For a $50 transfer!! She insisted it be cleared for me and then got a call from WU saying they wouldn’t release a penny to me. She said the agent told her they couldn’t tell me why there was a hold but I could call. I did that and the WU agent I spoke to said he couldn’t tell me, the sender would have to call back and they will give her the answer immediately and she could tell me. Exactly opposite of what she was told to do. All this for a $50 money transfer!!! I will never again recommend WU for anything. They are corrupt and the agents are all Indian-speaking and hang up on you when you ask to speak to a supervisor. Going to use MoneyGram Walmart to Walmart in the future. Very poor business customer service at WU.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I sent my girlfriend money in the Philippines so she could go and get her passport interview. I sent money through Western Union and within one hour they emailed me saying that the money has been picked up already, I talked to my girlfriend and she said "What?? I never picked it up yet." So I called Western Union and they didn't care to even call the store that apparently paid it out. They told me to look into it and ask where it was paid out. I was shocked!!! I am paying you guys for the service! I said, "It's your representative and it's your responsibility to take care of me as a customer." They wouldn't call the store, all they did was tell me that it was paid out already in Taguig, which is over 1000km away from where my GF lives. So I told them that it's impossible for my girlfriend to travel that far in one hour. They still wouldn't deal with it.

They said, "Sorry sir for the inconvenience and we will look into it, here is the case number and it will take 20 days." I can't believe it! How hard is it for them to contact the store while everything is still fresh and then talk to the employee that paid out this money to someone else. Not fair in any way. It's so nice to see a Company like this get to where they are and how they treat their customers. That is scary to know that your money is not safe and to know that your transfer could be paid out to a person with no ID etc. I will never use them again. There are a few different companies, even banks now that offer this service, why pay these crooks money when we can just go to our bank, at least they are more organized and actually care. If I could give a negative rating for Western Union I would. Be careful if you are using them.

Original review: April 19, 2018 It seems that Western Union’s employees are trained to lie, make excuses, evade answering customers question and hanging up at any time during the call. When a transfer is denied they will never ever tell you why. None of it makes any sense. They are told to just tell customers that federal laws and requirements are the reason. When you ask them why any and all transfers from other companies never ever have issues or denials they just tell you to go to them and hang up.

Their app will decline a transfer and you will immediately receive an email stating that the transfer was declined but if you go to the local Western Union location they will transfer the money. That is only true a small fraction of the time. I am handicapped so while it is difficult for me to travel to a Western Union location, I have done it to ensure that the families that I help get the funds they need.

So I Arrive at the location, wait in line, then am told about 50% of the time that they cannot transfer the money either. Or on two occasions they accepted my cash, approved the transfer then reversed and declined a day or two later. On one occasion they held my $400 cash for 4 months because they never ever gave me the NEW tracking number that customers need to get their money back. This rude, callous, dishonest company should be fined and we need a new law that requires all “money transfer” companies to clearly state the “EXACT REASON” for any money transfer being declined. The reason or explanation must be real and honest, something that can be verified by the customer or appealed. And if they CHOOSE TO BE RUDE AND DISHONEST, they should be fined or shut down completely.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My daughter just sent money to her boyfriend in Brooklyn New York. He never received the money. The representatives said it was in my name. My daughter is 21 years old and has her own account with. How is it possible. I tried to remove my name from their account. It's a waste of time talking to them. I want to file an official complaint against them. For months I've had issues with them. Now they are messing with my children. Please have them investigated and shut down. They aren't professional and they lie to the customers. They have no integrity. They are crooks. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have never seen such a terrible transfer company before in my life. One of my friend has sent me money from Turkey to UK which is 500 euros. Western Union asked 50 euros to send this money. It is too much for 500 euros but anyway he sends the money. In UK I wanted to get this money as Euros but they said it is a policy you can't receive your money in Euros in UK. I said, "Ok. I respect the policy." They wanted to give me the money as Sterling which makes 411 Sterling. So I have calculated. We have already paid 50 euros to transfer the money and plus almost 50 euros more from currency exchange, because the Western Union doesn't exchange the money like a regular bank. They also exchange the money with a high rate there. They can also make money by doing this. So instead they giving me 450 sterling. They tried to give me 411 with the exchange.

So in this case to send 500 euros from Turkey to UK you pay 100 euros. I said there is a big mistake here and I refused to get money in UK. I wanted them to send me the money in Ireland where I could get 500 Euros exactly. I have called the Western Union. Asked them if the sender can change the country without paying any ADDITIONAL charge. The lady on the phone comfortably said that the sender can change the receiver's country without any additional charge easily. I have asked this question two times and she said, "Yes. You can change without an extra payment." The sender went to the Western Union again to change the country while sending but they said that they can't change the country and they asked 50 euros more to change the country. I called Western Union again to explain this and remind them the previous call we had and I have asked them to listen the call again if they don't believe me.

They have returned me after 10 days by email that says they have listened the call but no such thing was said or promised. Anyway I was very sure because I have asked the question two times. I have no tool to check or listen that call of course. They said that they have nothing to do with that and if we want to change the country we have to pay again transfer money 50 euros. I couldn't get my money almost 20 days because of their mistake and late answers. I didn't have another choice and I got the money in UK where I have received 411 Pounds. To sum up we have spent 100 euros to receive 500 from Turkey to UK. I can share all the details of mine or transaction if required.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Ok now I'm really angry that I was not told that I wasn't allowed to send money to my brothers. I want to know when can I send money. It's been a week and I have a wedding in three weeks and I won't be able to get my man here on time because you think I'm a fraud or my extended family isn't family. How dare you Western Union. I want to be reinstated now so my man can be here for my wedding with family that have trouble travelling.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I am being denied payout for a money transfer sent to me because I'm not in my home state where the money was sent. My ID matches my home state. For this to be a nationwide company this is a disservice to customers. If you're in the country the transfer is sent why can't it be picked up anywhere. Especially since my ID is for the home state and I have the MTCN number. Promoting other companies cause this one has turned out to be the worst after decades of service. Walmart to Walmart by MoneyGram never gave me that probably.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs