3.36/5
Based on 1,139 ratings submitted in the last year

1007 Western Union Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

I made a transfer from Canada to my bank account in Jamaica. This was my first such transfer. I kept checking on the progress of the transfer and the status remained at "Direct Deposit to be made to Receiver's Bank Account". So after 3 days I contacted the Western Union in Jamaica to find out what was happening. Needless to say, I was peeved as I could not get any information because after speaking to the first agent, I was placed on either a hold with no sound to let me know I was holding or transferred to a number that rang endlessly while my phone minutes kept on going - running up my bill.

I contacted the Canadian agent today and to my dismay he told me I have to speak with a Jamaican agent (I almost cried). But God would have it going my way when I got a hold of Nyoka ** a Customer Service Specialist in Jamaica. She took control and in no time I understood what was happening and she got the matter resolved. She emailed me relevant documents and her response time to my queries via email was exemplary. I am keeping her contact in my email because I know I will be doing further business with Western Union and my experience with her will drive me to reach out to her once again. THANKS NYOKA. YOU HAVE REDEEMED WESTERN UNION.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Quick and Easy. Cost to get a Money Order from my local Meijer is less than $1.00. I send to family and they can cash or deposit even at their local bank branch, not just Meijer (major superstore here in Michigan).

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was scammed. Western Union gave full refund. Very happy. I was scammed through MONEYGRAM. They hung up on me and ignored the problem. WORSE service ever. They don't care. I cannot say enough about Western Union and their GREAT service. Thank you. Very appreciative. Amazing company.♥️

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I sent 250.00 US dollars to Canada Aug 23, 2019. The recipient should have collected approximately 332.00 Canadian dollars per the current exchange rate instead they received 282.40 the difference of 49.60 that Western Union charged and when I called them to report it the man said they make up their own exchange rates to justify this very unfair money exchange rate. They should be held accountable for stealing people money.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have spent about 6 hours trying to send money to a friend in Ghana. The website is so hard to use, and you get rejected at every turn. I finally got through the process after trying every option, only to have Western Union call me and say they cannot approve my transfer of $100!!! They would not tell me why they cancelled it, either! They recommend going to a local WU location. I guess they make more money that way. Stupid!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

They charge such high fees for their services however there is no customer service. I been trying for 2 months to receive transaction history, calling them daily, speaking to different people, can’t reach the actual department which does this job. They keep on sling me for the same information I have already provided. I have a feeling that there is no customer service department and there are just some call agents who answer me and every time different people and they just respond to my email with the same requests to send me anything.... I am horrified how such a big fees company don’t have a department who take care of their customers. Very bad for the company.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Very poor service for receiving a copy of pay history. Have to submit copy of bills and license to hear twice that they couldn't see it and it was clear when I emailed it from FedEx I wanted it sent to address on file.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I sent $2000 and I assumed a real exchange rate on that day ~1USD = 110 for the transaction like in the past few years I sent money back. However, the transaction was done at 1USD = 101, so that amounted to ~$200 for this transaction. Western Union offers this reduced rate, however, upon calling customer service they can provide no documentation as to why rates are so low. I suggest to stay away from Western Union and use other services such as TransferWise where they ask for a flat fee and the real exchange rate. Will not use Western Union and will alert everyone I know to stay away from WU. This is borderline fraud!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I buy parts from India. Some sellers require Western Union. After 1 good transfer the seller sent the parts just as promised. I sent another a month later he said he can't pick it up. I check the tracking number and it says available for pickup. I call WU they say I have been blocked. I need to request a reinstatement. They send me a form that asks all about who and why I'm sending $200. So I send it out with the required invoice. Couple weeks later... "We have reviewed your reinstatement request and have decided to uphold our previous decision on this matter. This means Western Union will not accept any money transfers from you as sender and will not pay out any money transfers to you as receiver." As a military officer I would think I could send $200 without being accused of criminal activity. So again... Western Union is no longer an option for me forever?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Hey. You tried charging me 40 ** dollars to send money in America to America. You're gonna lose a lot of customers you **. I send money 2-3 times a week. It went from 8 to 12 to 19. Today they tried 40. ** you. MoneyGram, etc, Walmart gonna get my business. The cashier tell even laughed at the 40 dollars. I'm in Tennessee sending it to Arkansas. She said she sent 1000 overseas for 8 dollars. Yo wtf. #WesternUnion

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs