Western Union

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

For about two years I have been send living cost to My husband who lives in Morocco with his elderly parents And now they have stopped this. I find this offensive and the excuse they gave was poor. This worker for WU his name is Patrick couldn't speak English good bad. Couldn't understand him. Had to repeat myself once again to understand him. He said that I WAS not to send money to my husband ever again. WHAT the hell is this all about. This made me feel we had done something wrong. This was the decision of WU.

I was asked question from Patrick in which I answered and then was told I could not send and transaction to my husband. The reason was I really don't know? Maybe because we are both Muslims and WU may think the living cost was for something else??? Thats how I felt. I go back to Morocco every 6 months and come back to work here due not much employment back in Morocco. So this is why I send living cost back to my husband to help his parents. This is only done ONCE a Month. It's only a small amount. It's not in the thousands but still was refused.

So as far as am concerned WESTERN UNION is not a good services for some. They say in their ADS "transfers money to 50 Countries" BUT I don't think Morocco is one of the countries they are talking about. What a joke. Two years I been sending and now they decided to STOP this. In saying this I do have friends that have PARTNERS not HUSBANDS in Egypt and Morocco and they are still able to send money to them. So why has this happen to me and my Husband. WU you give me the true reason WHY???

I send money with them and they never send the money. When I rang them they said the money Waiting to confirmation from receivers bank which was lie. It seems they carry on passing the blame to next person until they get the in customers money sits on hold in their account gagging interest while we customers are out of pocket. I was told it would be resolved within 24 hours but yet again I am still watching days later. Please avoid sending money through Western Union.

They service is so bad, I won't even send my dog there you could cry. There should be place to report. Never ever send money from Western Union.

4/7/2017 I sent money from San Diego to Tijuana, Mexico in cash and it took me 7 hrs in two different pickup location and got nothing in the end. It's my first time to use this company and it's a nightmare! The first location, error message pop out on the screen and they don't know what happen, I called Western Union service and they pretended the signal weak and just hang up, total 3 times! In the end they said because the amount is huge and I have to pick up at another location.

I went there, and the system show error message again. I presented my passport and ref. no., it didn't help. I called the service 5 times plus the guy in the store calling 4 times. In the end nothing!! It's ridiculous and nonsense, Western Union is unreliable!! Please check your phone record on 4/7 and you will see how ridiculous you are! I spent all my day and got nothing.

I don't usually write bad reviews even for bad service, but this is my last straw. I have been Western Union customer for over a decade, but my last transaction with them has been the worst experience I ever experienced with any company. I sent money with Western Union, but they refused to hand money to the receiver and refused to issue my refund due to some compliance issues that I never understood. After being put on hold and being sent to like 5 representatives, they required me to send them my personally identifiable information, which is already on my profile.

After sending all these information, they kept needing more and more stupid information, but they never refunded my money or sent it to the receiver. I finally got tired and told them to just go ahead and keep the money. Be aware people, THEY ARE BUNCH OF SCAMMERS AND FRAUDS. DON'T USE WESTERN UNION ANYMORE... SAVE YOUR MONEY AND USE OTHER AGENCIES!

We have to send money from here in the US to relatives in the Philippines monthly. We tried remittance companies such as Remitly, Xoom, and others only to have our Debit Card numbers stolen and fraudulent charges made. Luckily we were reimbursed. We thought Western Union has been around forever and though more expensive we would be safe. We sent one small amount safely so we felt more safe so we sent a larger amount. My niece went to pick up the money, they asked her to fill out a form with her full information on her ID. Once they had this information they said "the computers are now down, come back tomorrow to pick up your money".

When she went back the next day she was told the money was already picked up. My niece then realized she was scammed and the girl taking all her information had used this to get the money for herself. I contacted Western Union immediately and was RUDELY told the money was picked up by my niece and basically there was nothing we can do. We filed a claim and were told it would take 21 days to process!!! We went to the local police and filed a report. NEVER USE WESTERN UNION!!! You may never see your money again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

I am stuck in a remote location and my credit cards have been stolen. I have been trying for HOURS to get a wire transfer set up over the phone and using their website. Nothing will work and they can give no answers as to why this is. I am now stuck without a penny to my name. Do not ever use this company as even the supervisors are completely incompetent.

Sent money from credit card to Western Union for payment to another bank in China as this was the only way to transfer the funds there. They called me to say money was rejected by recipient's bank due to lack of information however, they have still not refunded my money. There is no dispute as to the fact that I should be refunded the money yet still every time I call I get their standard response "We will escalate it with your receiver's bank and investigate your case and will get back to you within 24-48hrs." They never get back. My UK bank where the funds came from are taking it seriously however, I am still out of pocket until this is resolved and I am refunded.

Every time I call I have to hold on for a minimum of one hour. I assume this is in the hope one gives up. The latest call they said I could pick up money from an agent!! I refused as I simply do not trust them, do not want to pick up large sums in cash and simply want to have the monies owed returned back to my account my UK bank where it was taken. Needless to say I am still waiting. Would never use them again. This was my first and last experience - complete nightmare, loss of time and currently money, Mickey Mouse Bank!

I am so appalled at the service I received from Western Union as I have been a long time customer and I have never been so disappointed and embarrassed. I was held up in Western Union for over an hour AFTER THEY TOOK my MONEY and WOULD NOT RETURN it until I spoke with a REPRESENTATIVE. After doing so they returned my money and would NOT ALLOW the TRANSFER! The rep explained that it was because when I was asked what does she need the money for I didn't answer correctly, well how in eff do you know my correct answer!!? I went back to a different location and I explained to them the situation. They said "ok let's do it. I don't think you will have a problem."

Well needless to say I had to call again and was held up again for an hour and they only do this when your money is in their possession and is on hold, the questions ranged from who is the receiver to you to what is the money for to, when is the last time you've seen the receiver!!!? This new method is a horrible disaster and meanwhile the exact thing you're trying to stop is unsuccessful due to your harassment of innocent people... terrorism and fraud is what they say. If I know that just sending $6-$900 should not be enough to even begin to think it's some kind of terrorism or anything else! Finally after having to explain myself for over an hour and be harassed and pulled from the line not once but twice and for people to look at me as if I was doing something illegal is appalling to say the least and I WILL NOT BE USING WESTERN UNION AGAIN IN THE FUTURE!!! Further I am seeking legal advice!

The money order I purchased was ripped in the mail and therefore was not accepted by the bank and returned to me. I have it in my possession. I completed and returned all the required information for the refund request, including a photocopy of the damaged money order. I had to do this 3 times before they would even acknowledge they received it. I was told to wait 60 days and the refund would be issued to me via check by mail, minus a $15 fee. Ok that's fine. Mind you there is NO way to check the status of your request other than calling very unhelpful and foreign speaking representatives to claim to know nothing and promise to escalate the issue and have me call back within 24 hrs. I've done this at least 5 times, to no avail.

I then receive a letter saying my request cannot be processed due to me not paying the $15. So I call to pay it. They now say that I can only pay that $15 through check or money order through mail, AND that my money order has been cashed, which is absolutely not true, considering I still have it. Yet they will allow me no other information or help unless I send the fee in. However, I feel that that will just take that money as well and claim to have never received it. Nobody there speaks good English and there are absolutely no other ways to deal with this. I don't know what to do.

I cannot understand the negative reviews of Western Union. I am a British citizen living in Spain. I frequently transfer funds from UK in Sterling to Spain in Euros. I have used a dozen different banks and financial institutions to experiment which is most efficient and which gives a better exchange rate. Western Union are consistently the best. I would recommend them for such transactions above all others. A great company as far as my experience has been.

Transferred $2000 money to my Indian account on 12/09/2016 and haven't received the money till date. I called multiple times to Western Union customer care but every time they're saying that "We will escalate it with your receiver's bank and investigate your case and will get back to within 24-48hrs." After no response. I called them more than 25 times. Whenever it will take minimum 1 hr 30 mins to discuss all the things. Even though after spending that much time on call no response and no result from them. The worst service from Western Union. They're simply looting people money.

Sent gift money to my grandma from England to Romania. I converted Pounds in Lei (local currency) and they actually processed the money to be received in Euro, anyway at a very low exchange rate. I called and the lady operator told me she can cancel the transaction so I can do it again, but will not refund me the fees. I insisted that this is unacceptable, because I will end up being charged twice for a single transaction and in the end she did the magic thing to process a FULL refund. Now let's see when I get the money back, as I didn't receive any confirmation email about the cancellation.

Every time I make or receive a transaction from Western Union or send money. I receive a harassing phone call from this one agent with an accent. This has happened in the last few months. I have family, friends and business associates, who this is the only way to send money. I am appalled by their actions. This is my money. I can sent it anywhere I want. For years I've done business with them had no issues to now. I won't be using them for a long time. This is ridiculous. Everything is okay now but look what you have to go through like you are a Criminal.

Son was in an accident and I was attempting to send $$ immediately online. Between the small print and my stress over him being hurt & stranded, I selected the 3-4 day transfer because the instant transfer kept refusing all my cards. So went with bank account which they got immediately only then learn it takes 9 days, and since his wallet/phone were stolen from car we had to send cash another way. In person Western Union will allow a secret question/ answer. But online no - I was advised the only way was to have money returned to my bank and that would take 7 days. When I asked twice for a confirmation number and how to close account I was told my money would be transferred directly back to my bank account and never to contact them again!

Nice customer service Western Union has. Do they insult every 65 year old grandmother that is upset & frustrating with their impossible website? Realized I should contact Consumer Affairs and warn everyone about the online process. Good luck if you actually succeed in sending the cash. Try MoneyGram at Walmart if you need to send cash. Or stand in line at the WU Stores. Long lines, with several other unhappy people who also tried to send emergency cash to their kids using Western Union online!

I was scammed out of 300 or more dollars with a phone call from some foreign accent robo caller who told me to wire money or else be threatened with a warrant. I got scared and sent it. I did not know the person. I did not get my money refunded. There are so many scams out there. Stay safe out there.

Tried to send $100 within the US. It declined my card. Tried again and it wouldn't even submit. Went to Walmart MoneyGram and it processed within 3 minutes. What good is this business if you need to send money in a hurry. I wish I knew why it wouldn't process. Customer service gave me some blah, blah, about my card or too many processes. I will give them credit for contacting me back but too little too late.

I tried to send money to a friend in Mexico (5000 Mexican Pesos/$250 USD), my transaction was declined TWICE with the first reason being "the person to receive the money has been placed on the black list" however, they have NEVER used WU before, so it was obviously an error that WU could not override within their system. Hoping this was just a one time error, I tried again. This time, the transaction was declined with the rationale from WU being "we can send you an email for you to fill out, and then someone will get back with you within 14 days." COME THE ** ON! Is this customer service, is this how a business is even run? I WILL NEVER AGAIN USE WU.

I couldn't even complete one transaction. Because of bug the website has. It doesn't allow the recipient last name to be less than 4 characters. I still tried the transaction after talking to customer service rep, (gave the full name instead of initial as last name) transaction failed. Not sure if it because the name of recipient didn't match with account or any other issue. It was really stressful talking to customer representative after this, they wouldn't give a solution to this issue. When I ask if I can talk to anyone up in the chain who would give a solution, they just keep asking who in particular I want to talk to. (I do not know how is your reporting structure!!!) I had to give up, calling it quits. They need to understand, not everyone has a last name and people so have last name with less than 4 characters.

I sent $500 to India which isn't very much but still Western Union did a great job. The money was there the next day. They did not give the money to my Sister until it landed in her own bank account. SO that took another day. I have tried doing the bank to bank thing and found just going up there is much easier with identification. SO that is what my Sister does. Please remember if you do the bank to bank transfer it's much more of a hassle. It takes longer to go through. My sister had to give the code, my telephone number, name, address, and country it's coming from. I appreciate the thorough procedure from India's Bank. This prevents fraud. They also require that the person receiving already have an active bank account. (This is India's policy not Western Union's.) I will definitely use the service again. :)

WATCH OUT FOLKS!!! Western Union are advertising location online that do not pay for your transactions. I have sent 2 complaint emails and none were answered. They don't give... about any complaint you might have. :(:(:( I have been sent money since more than a week and still not able to retrieve them as the locations advertised here in GREAT MALVERN UK only accept money to send but they don't pay your transaction. WATCH OUT!!!

I charged $400 to my credit card on the WU website to transfer money to my brother, then decided to cancel. WU refused to cancel the money and asked for a long report of security information, very invasive. I am filing complaints with the state of CA. Never deal with WU, just use a bank wire.

Made a wire transfer through Western Union, the recipient never acquired the money. Western Union stated it arrived 2 hours & 26 minutes after I sent it. I was notified 10 days later that the money didn't arrive. I then notified WU and was informed that it would take 24-48 hours to investigate and I would hear from them. Didn't happen. 96 hours later, I called WU. This time I was told it posted 16 days after I sent it and to call the bank.

I could not get any satisfaction from the bank because I was not the account holder of the account I deposited into. Then WU said it was sent as a payment and was applied to a credit card account. When I informed the representative that the account it was sent to had 6 less digits than a credit card account, I was instructed to go to the business which provides WU services. WU told the merchant that it was made as a payment on the business' account, and they would investigate and know something in 24-48 hours. This was from the call station in the Philippines who had stated earlier that they had talked to the bank but later admitted to the merchant that all they had was a confirmation number and had not talked to anyone at the bank.

The website said if there is a fee, the sender would be aware of the fee and would have to agree to the fee before monies or bill pay is used. No fee was shown for a bill pay but was charged a fee for the bill pay by a second charge that was not authorized. Legal?

After RECEIVING a W/U money order (in NJ) I attempted to cash it at several Rite Aid Pharmacy locations that are Western Union agents. 2 out of the 3 said they only send and would not pay out. The 3rd location in Hopatcong NJ said they do pay but I would have to call WU to get a verification code before they would cash it ($500 max). I called and rec'd an automated answer that asked for a 10-digit pin aka MTCN number. This number is NOT on the money order and can only be gotten from the person who purchased the WC MO so I got nowhere with the automated system.

Frustrated beyond belief I called WU, it was a Sunday, I reached a rep but was advised that no one there could help me with the verification code and that I should try calling Monday to reach their tracking department. This lead me to believe (#1) - WU does NOT properly train their employees, (#2) WU does not really care to help their customers, or (#3) - I was speaking to a lazy buffoon. In the end I simply returned the WU MO to the sender and asked them for a Postal MO, I found out that the Post Office is inexpensive and their MO's can be cashed at ANY Post Office location providing they have the funds... I will NEVER Send or Receive a Western Union money order, it's nothing short of a SCAM.

They send me many letters telling me they own me money from past transactions but when I tried to contact them is impossible. They just don't answer and make it impossible to pay your money back. They are really a bunch of thief and scammers!!!

I have been sending money to my son every month for over 5 years and I can't remember a time I didn't want to put my head through a wall. After all the questions they ask your Gold card no., name, address, DOB, bank card no., expiration date, security code no., where money is going, who it is going to and all the warnings about fraud and gambling, etc. after 20 minutes they tell you they can't process it and can't tell you why. IDIOTS!!! And they all sound like chipmunks.

On October 14 of 2016, I performed an online payment to the FBOP. I noticed it never went through and I called the customer service and they said it had to be verified. I continued to call back and received the same answer. I then decided to cancel the transaction and was told it would take the normal 3 to 5 business days to credit my card back.

I continued to call because the credit never came. After talking with numerous customer service reps, through a chat online, one FINALLY tells me a month later that... I COULD NOT use a prepaid debit card for an online transaction! So this is why that the transaction seems to be "stuck". She then proceeded to tell me that I was speaking to the WRONG department! So for a whole month, the customer service reps had been lying to me about processing a refund because they could not even do it! I then contacted the quick collect department and they proceeded with the same shenanigans the other department had previously. Every single time I call, the supervisor tells me that they are waiting on the back office. EVERY TIME! I finally spent $5 to get a printout and fax the proof they debited my account. I've called still at least 5 times and they say either the back office hasn't received it yet or the back office hasn't responded.

This is all for $28.95! I have been trying to get this refund for almost 4 months and no one in customer service seems to be able to help. The customer service representatives are uneducated on the policies and just say things to get you off the phone. They never call back like they say they will. They make you feel like you are lying about your money!!! I am truly surprised as to how bad and unprofessional their customer service is. I actually even called the corporate voicemail and received no callback! I've sent 3 emails, no REAL reply other than an automated response.

I've even continued to use their services after the fact but they still will not refund my money! I honestly believe that Western Union is ripping people off because they make it nearly impossible to receive a refund and customer service from passionate employees that truly want to help the customer. It almost makes you want to give up. But then of course, they win and keep the money. I also suggested that they put a banner or something making consumers aware that you cannot use a prepaid debit card to help prevent situation such like this. Absolutely exhausted!

Absolutely do not use Western Union in the US or for US transactions. Should you purchase a money order and find the payee won't cash it or needs it for a transaction, you have no recourse and cannot get it refunded at ANY agent. DO NOT EVER USE WESTERN UNION. Go to a US POST OFFICE FOR YOUR MONEY ORDERS.

CASE: After driving hours post op and in severe pain to secure a long awaited apt, I purchased a money order (made out to the apt complex for the required apt deposit per their instruction), but upon arriving the apt was not available. The apt refused to accept the deposit to refund me the money but suggested I simply return to the (upscale) Pavilion's store (nearby) to cancel the money order for non use and get my refund, but the store refused saying they have a policy not to cancel or refund money order purchases!

I called Western Union customer service four times, found very ignorant people on the other side of the world to whom I had to repeat myself at least 8 times, finally demanding supervisors who also could not help. Short of sending Western Union corporate my money order with the apt complex name and paying $15 "for handling" or short of going to a local bank where I do not have an account AND falsifying a signature as an agent of the apt complex who has endorsed the check and short of paying that bank the extra $7 to $10 for cashing my own money order check purchased with my own money, I cannot get a refund. Western Union is screwing the consumer by not having a policy that allows for the refund of non used money orders that have already been made out but for one reason or another are rejected or don't reach the intended party.

I had a friend try to help me out during a hard time. I live in Portland, and winter storm came in and snowed about a foot, just needed some cash to make some adjustments, needed snow chains to get to work. Western Union decided not to give me money, put a hold on it, so I called them. First time they said it was the sender's bank not releasing the money. I called my friend. He looked up his bank account and Western Union had already taking the money out, so I called them back. The idiot on the line asked me what my problem was. I replied that I had problem getting my money. He then asked if I was the sender or receiver. I then said, "Gee, I just said I had a problem getting my money, kinda would make me the receiver don't you think?" He then hung up on me. Then I called back, and they said they had it but wanted to ask the sender a question.

I then said, "Funny, I always take people's money, then try to ask them questions, said no one ever." "So you mean to tell me that you already took his money, won't give it to me, and you want to ask questions." This is **. I don't see how the hell this place has been open this long? When they took the money, it pretty much moves to the next phase, give it to receiver, but no, they don't see it that way, they do what they want, funny, transferring thought we paid them to do what we want... you get transferring money for someone else, it isn't that hard. When it's all done online, it's even easier. If you took the money, it then moves a phase, ask me whatever, but don't take then ask, that is crack head **. I will never use this place and will tell everyone I know to go MoneyGram, easy and cheap.

You think, guys, that when emergency arrives you need Western Union, because we have no money to operate (gas, tube, food and such). So after you troubled some good person to send the money properly and provide you with the mctn (control #), you will count the reasons how sad it is that that company still. Charging 40 usd or 30 gbp. For example, for a 360 shipment to England, yes 10%! And on top gives you bad product. i.e. to receive the money you just suffer - it is almost - more than likely, that the location nearby never has the funds - in his store etc, and he/she can only "send" Western. Then you spend money and travel fee and trouble fees to research and get somewhere that has the funds on hand.

And remember - you are broke and tired - so you spend an average of another 13 usd or 10 pounds for the info. So we arrived, in my case 13% of the amount sent, actual costs to collect the money. And do you know what happens if one letter is missing compares to the I'd written?? You'd better not ask guys. In short compare it to other peer to peer companies such as Neteller, EcoCard, Skrill, PayPal that are average 2% fees. You will have to agree with me that Western Union is the worse peer to peer company in the past 7-8 years.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.
  • App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.
  • Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.
  • NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.
  • Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.
  • Best for Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer