1.20/5
Based on 130 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Western Union

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

711 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I had to use WU and did it on my phone. Made a mistake and wanted to send more and found the most cost effective way. The orig cost was $6.50 through app and revised way was to start it on app but pay $2 at a WU in Walgreens. Followed instructions exactly and didn’t work. Cashier was perplexed but we tried at different register, mind you, I just had to give her the money. She couldn’t get it to work there either. She called WU and they attempted to help her after she repeatedly had to tell them what the issues were. They advised her to call another Walgreens and refused to assist her further and proceeded to hang up on her. She relayed the message and I did just that, went to another location. They had issues and finally I just called and canceled original transaction from app and resent the full amount thinking problem was solved.

Family member calls back to say she can’t pick it up until I call them. We called them on three way and I explained why we were calling. Was told they do not do three way calls and told me to call back. At which point they hung up on me. Called back to be told I needed to email my ID to their email and it should be resolved in two hours. Did that. Family member called back to say she was still having issues and maybe I got a new MTRN number? Checked email and found out they need front and back of DL. Wasn’t told this over phone. Thank God this wasn’t an emergency as this was an all day thing to send $50. I refuse to work with them again as this is the third time I’ve dealt with them and it’s always trouble.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My father in law sent me 300£, the service should be in the same day, when I went to receive my money they said you have to upload your ID and address proof. I did it, they after that said, "We will contact you." It's two weeks and that call did not come. When I ask about that they said, "It can take one to month to get your money." I have a friend who experienced the same situation. We think that this company is just a scam and keep the people money for a period to make profits.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have never experienced such a frustrating event as I did with Western Union. Do not use this company. Stay away. They made several mistakes when I was trying to send money to my sister-in-law in another country. When they could not correct that mistake they could not refund my money immediately and told me it would take several days for them to refund my money. I had to pay them twice in the emergency that I had. They were rude unprofessional and no help at all. These are not the qualities that you want to experience in a time of emergency when sending a loved one money that they need. Please take my advice and don't ever ever ever use this company. They are not even based in the United States of America.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I remember years ago when it took maybe 15 mins for money to arrive at the receiver's location. Now it takes two hours... minimum! I thought easy and FAST was the whole purpose behind Western Union? Why still advertise as such when it just isn't so?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I tried to send money to a friend in Ghana, who I have sent money many times to via Western Union. The minute I gave the money to the agent to send, she gave me a tracking number and told me to call Western Union because the money would not be sent. When I called, it took me over one hour to get the necessary compliance officer. I was on hold the whole time. She told me that there was a lot of fraud going on so they were putting a hold on transfers to Ghana and would send back the money to me. The person on the phone from Western Union barely spoke English.

The whole process was a complete waste of my time along with my costs of phone time and going back to the store to get my money. The questions I have is why didn't they tell me this before I even gave the money to be sent. I'm to the point that I think Western Union itself is a fraudulent business. They charge high fees, give very poor exchange rates, and falsely advertise their business. I will never use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Do not use this lame service. I sent the ridiculous amount of 300 dollars to someone this morning, and this turned into this ridiculous James Bond story: The recipient, my relative, could not retrieve the money because of some safety issues, he called me to ask me to contact them. After speaking with a first agent who told me that they were holding the transfer for safety reasons, I was put on hold for 45 minutes before I could speak with their security department (for $300, really?).

The security agent, after 45 minutes, asked me some ridiculous questions, for the record, I don't have a criminal record, I am a marketing professional, neither does the person who was to receive the money. Can you believe that he even asked me, "How do you communicate with that person on a regular basis"... That's ridiculous, in 2018 you don't know that people communicate through telephone, emails, face to face... And you are asking me this question after having me waiting 45 minutes to speak to your stupid **? These agents made the wrong career choice and want to act like they are part of the FBI. Dude, you are just working for Western Union, a company that does not even know how to train you obviously. Never using them ever again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Western Union is the worst money transfer source hands down. Be advise that even though it may be quick and easy if you ever need a refund look forward to paying them to receive a refund even with receipt of purchase. That's not how things should work here in the US. With receipt all goods should be refundable free of charge within a reasonable time period including currency.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I was sending money to my mother in Puerto Rico, the forms online said middle name was optional so I didn't put her middle name and my mom couldn't pick up the money at a WU location there. I call WU to try to add the middle name but representative couldn't understand what I needed 'cause she barely spoke English. Instead she cancelled my transfer and now I have to wait for God knows how long until I can get my money back while my mother sits and wait for her money. Disappointed totally!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have been using Western Union for many years. NEVER AGAIN!!! My experience this afternoon mirrors a lot of complaints listed; tried to send money, blocked from use, etc. WU, you are really despicable, and putting people in dire need in very compromising situations!!! That's ok. Stay trifling. There is always MoneyGram, and Walmart to Walmart!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

When I sent money with Western Union from Italy to my Austrian bank account in 2017 it never arrived. Several email and phone communication with WU complaint department followed until today Jan. 23, 2018. While travelling around the world I was receiving 5+ times via email the confirmation from Western Union that the money would now be available for pickup at a local Western Union - which was never the case after several attempts and complaints. Still waiting for my money which is still kept by Western Union for several months by now.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My online account was declined for unstated reasons and even my phone transmissions were rejected. This was reviewed and they denied it ever happened. Meanwhile I was unable to send money to a person in need. I was treated like a criminal and then gaslighted. There is good news. Use MoneyGram to send money and you can pick up at CVS and Walmart. They use 2FA security so the likelihood of fraud is way lower and the need for hair trigger security rejection is reduced. I love them. Will never WU again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Well if there was 0 stars I'd give it cause the recent "formless" is just stupid to implement. You know the old saying "don't fix it if it's not broken." Well case in point! I was trying to send money to a relative for an emergency, and turns out as part of the "formless" way to send money you have to download the new Western Union App. This includes registering a new account, verifying your account, setting up your payment info, and receiver info etc. I'm usually a patient person, but this pushed me to the limits taking almost AN HOUR!

They should offer the old way of filling out a form with all the info and taking payment at the register. These employees had no idea, had no forms and had no idea how it worked! Brutal. Western Union shouldn't make it a requirement to download their app and go through this annoying process when people can be dealing with emergencies! Other questions I would ask is what if people don't have cell phones to download the app? Why don't they offer the old way of filling out your old forms? I'm not the first, and definitely won't be the last to go through this annoying process. Obviously they didn't think this through. So annoying.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My experience with Western Union in the past sending and receiving money has been good until today. I was declined from picking up money that was sent to me. I called customer service and they couldn't tell me why I couldn't pick up my money. Has anyone experience this issue?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

On Jan 3rd I tried to send someone $500 on the Western Union website, I waited to see if it went thru. Nope it was declined. I tried again a few hours later. They put my money and hold. So I just cancel the transaction. Not only that. I went the store to pick up money sent to me, the cashier told me it was under review, and it be ready in 15 mins. So I waited the 15 mins and it was still under review. I call the number and told me to contact the sender. She got her money back. Then I had another person who sent me money. So I went to pick the money up, nope the transaction was suspended. I don’t know what’s going on with me and Western Union. I won’t ever use them again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I sent money from Louisiana to my son in Puerto Rico. He couldn’t pick up the money because when he entered the address, the system said the address was not valid (he has had the same address for 15 years and it is not the first time he received money via WU). He asked the lady at Walgreens to help him, and she said she couldn’t help him because was a new employee and didn’t know how Western Union worked. He complained to the store manager and he said he was too busy and didn’t know how the system worked either.

I asked Western Union for a refund and went to get my money back and couldn’t get my money because the moron that supposedly entered the refund in the system entered the information of the receiver as my information, so the lady at Walgreens in Baton Rouge told me that I had to pick the refunded money in Puerto Rico. Can someone from Western Union explain what the heck is going on? Western Union offers the lousiest customer service I have ever seen. Will have to incur in legal expenses to recover my money?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

After using Western Union for many years, I decided to send 70 euro to my friend on 3th of January. Western Union refused to deliver the money. First they asked about our relationship, after they asked about his work and his occupation, I never heard about that for money transfers. Western Union does not want to give any explanation, they just said my money is under security control for 6 days ago. After sending all the references they are not able to give me any explanation, and tell me when my will be refunded. I am very angry and disappointed and I will never use Western Union again. If you can use another company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My wife's Western Union account was hacked on Dec 29th and 2 unauthorized transfers of $2999 were made to an account in India. Upon bringing it to their attention, they closed the account and now are unwilling to give any information relating to the transfer of the money. The information is critical to the case which has to be coordinated between authorities in Chicago, USA and Chennai, India. As the police themselves do not have a system to handle such cases, I was able to find some contacts that may be able to place a lien on the account to which the money was transferred. However, after having tried and failed with Western Union 3 times now I have no recourse as no information is available. The authorities themselves cannot help as they honestly do not seem to care. Now I am short $6000 with the information available to stop the crime only in the hands of Western Union. What a joke!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Used Western Union as I was in London with no bank card after it was swallowed at the cash point. The company is a joke. No customer service skill at all. Broken promise after broken promise. Absolute joke of a company.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Today I experienced the worst customer service ever. My Western Union account has been hacked and someone made 2 transactions of 2999$. Hacker changed my phone number and the updated the destination account number. Western Union didn't send any notification email or message when change happen. Now they are not ready to own the problem. They are asking me follow up with local police. Appreciate if anyone has suggestions. Luckily amount was not credited from my bank account to Western Union yet.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Tried to send money to a brother in Minnesota from Denver. Both ends of the transaction were terrible. After the number of years this company has been around you would think they could figure out how to move money. I ended up at three locations before I could send the money. All had different limits and rules for sending. The last one said my brother could pick up at any location. NOT TRUE, brother ended up at 5 locations before being able to get the money. I will never use WU to send money again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I sent Money to my sister in the UK, first they said I only used the middle name and needed to add the first name. In doing this I have to process a new transaction and wait 7 days for my $700 to be refunded. Then my sister did not get paid because they insisted that I have to add her middle initials. I did that and then they refused to pay unless I add the full middle names. I called back to request that the full middle names be added. Then I was told I have to send another money and wait for another 7 days for the $750 to be refunded. My sister is unable to pay her hospital bills and now I will have over $1500 tied down with Western Union just because they will not amend the name. This is absolutely unfair, frustrating and has caused an undue stress to my family!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Do not EVER use Western Union in ANY circumstances. They lie, and steal poor peoples' money. I have an income of 10,000 kronor, my soon to be wife haven't got her salary for 2 months. So had to take money from my bills to pay for her travel from Russia to Sweden. Her flying tickets cost 5,000 kronor. My rent is 6,400 kronor, and I need to eat and pay other bills. No problem when she gets her salary. But now she have vacation for one month, so she don't have to work without salary. But the vacation starts tomorrow and I haven't got MY money back. It is my money, NOT Western Union's money. It's been a week since Russian WU started their lies and did not pay out the money to her. So my Swedish WU office called headquarter, and they said I won't get money back if she don't visit more WU offices.

But the problem is Russian WU is lying and saying that she can only receive money two times a month. And headquarter say Russian WU is wrong. They need to pay out the money, so she went to another office and they said SAME thing as first office did. So now I won't get my money and her vacation and Christmas and New Year's eve is destroyed cause of Western Union. We was planning to marry this year, but now we can't cause her next vacation is in one year. I say to everyone Western Union is a criminal organization that steals poor people's money! Russian WU don't pay my soon to be wife and Headquarter won't pay me either. So now they destroyed our lives. I got my document to assure you my story is valid.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This company is very, very, very bad! I'm not even exaggerating and won't hold back my opinion. When I have gone to study abroad (in Spain) without a scholarship or financial help from the government, I had a small paying job but one month they paid me very late and my parents sent money over. During 3 days, my life revolved around going back and forth to their office, only to be treated in the most condescending way and come back empty-handed! 'Sorry darling, I understand you but all your names do not appear on here'.

I come from a country where it is common for people to have 3 or 4 names and they expected all my names to fit in one line!!! Of course it would get cut at the last few letters! I told them my family had a receipt showing proof of what had been inserted in the first place and they asked me to bring it. I went back and did. There appeared all names and they still said no! I went hungry and my family had to cancel it and send the money by post. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

There is absolutely no reason for asking for somebody’s ID or phone number when they are trying to pay a utility bill such as a power bill. This is absurd and very distasteful. It’s none of your business who is paying what bills for who or why they are paying them. What if a family in need can’t make their payment this month so somebody decides to help them out. So you're gonna further embarrass them by making it known that they can’t pay their bill. Very sad Western Union. Very very sad.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I sent money to my mom on 12/15/17 for Christmas from USA to Ukraine. She didn't receive them, because WU made a mistake in the system! When I try to get the money refund they said somebody already receive my money in Colorado State! Omg! I live in NJ and I send it from NJ State! It took me 2 days and 2 different agents locations in order to get my money back. It was their mistake so I should have been refunded immediately! Very disappointed. My mom's Christmas present was ruined, I got unnecessary stress. The customer service is a nightmare. This was last time I used Western Union. Wish I had checked ConsumerAffairs prior to use. People, read and never use Western Union!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I wired a large sum of money for an attorney and first of all they sent it to an account that didn't exist, second of all when I try to get the money refunded they say the bank sent a check back to them. So I'd have to wait till they received it, that's not my problem, it was their mistake so I should have been refunded immediately! Then I called the corporate office and the lady that is assigned my case is avoiding me, won't call me and has excuses when I call, not to talk to me, over two weeks ago I sent the wire and they're refusing to refund me until they get a check, when it was their mistake!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I previously blogged about my horrible experience with Western Union and not receiving my refund check or monies. I needed to escape Florida during our last and worst hurricane ever. Now I have received it and it took a total of 4 months but I did get it and had no problem cashing it. I went through hell and high water but they did pay me so I'm changing my review.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

It took 3 days and 3 different agents locations in order to get a $500 money transfer completed. And my son could not get full cash. The store did not have enough cash. They paid him $200 in cash and $300 in a prepaid card (which costs fees to use.). The same issue existed for my grandson in the same amount of $500. WU told me to have them check other agent locations...and they would not refund $12.50 fee each I paid for Money in Minutes service. Very disappointed. First and last time I will use Western Union. Wish I had checked Consumer Affairs prior to use. SAD!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

It's crazy what is happening to me. My mom sent me money from DR to USA because I have an emergency and she sent the money early in the morning around 9am and it's 7pm and I couldn't get my money because there is not an agency that can cash me 1,800.00. I been calling to Western Union customer service asking for help and they been sending me to agents that can't cash the money. This is a nightmare. Omg! Never use Western Union.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

There is a space for a name and one for the last name. You have to include the middle name, otherwise the receiver doesn't get paid. You write the names in the right order, then when the receiver goes to get paid, it appears in different order, for example the middle name is at last. It takes 3 or 4 phone calls to get it right. They should release the money even if the names are not in the right order. They have, number of transfer, name of the sender, address of the sender, amount sent, ain't that enough? This happens every single year when I send money for Christmas.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Western Union Company Information

www.westernunion.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use