Western Union

1,755people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Western Union:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

On Aug 16 I sent a friend $50.00 because he was in need. When he went to pick it up he was denied, for security reasons. He was told to fax or email a photocopy of his ID and he should have it in 10 min. 1 hr later he was told he had to do it again because it came out blurry. He tried and was still refused! Now it was becoming suspicious. He was advised to call me, the sender and have me call their customer service. When I did they informed me his name was similar to a person who has used WU for criminal activities. Now they wanted the following info: his address, father's name, birthdays, my relationship to him, purpose of money. Needless to say I was livid considering half of this list is already on his ID! I asked to cancel this transaction they told me neither one of us could receive the money until we gave them all the info they wanted. I feel WU went too far! All this for 50.00?

I sent 2900 to Mexico on 8/19/2016. The person in Mexico could not pick it up because the Western Union agency could not pay more that 725 dollars per transaction. What? I called Western Union to give me my money back, went back to the store (today) and they did not have enough cash. What? Plus they would not give me the 30 dollars fee back. So, I think they are scammers. They should know the law, that nobody can send more than 725 dollars to Mexico. So I lost 30 dollars but I won't ever again use their service. Wire the money from a bank account to another bank account in Mexico. I will write a note on a newspaper in Mexico City to complain about the corrupt government that puts all these burdens on the poor.

I tried to send a relative money using a credit card transaction on the website. WU cancelled the transaction but didn't refund my money immediately. I had to call and it's been over 2 weeks and they still haven't given me a refund! If they cancel the transaction you should expect they will cancel and refund your money and not let it sit in their account collecting interest while you don't have use of your money!

I sent 400 dollars on June 17, 2016 at 2:15 pm MDT from Smiths in Price, Utah. I sent it to my brother Rowlley ** in Broomfield, N.M. He never was able to pick it up. I contacted Western Union 5 times. They keep telling me it was picked up. 2 of their reps. tell me I will get a refund within 2 to 3 days. It never happens. The lady in Broomfield that runs Western Union at The Farmers Market is Dora ** says it was there but cannot be picked up. Western Union reps say the investigation shows Dora ** saying it was picked up by my brother. We think she stole it.

Update: After a long talk with my bank and the Western Union looking through my statement. I wasn't charged twice I don't know how it works with the Western Union but it seems that even though i sent the money there's a delay in getting charged from your card. I went over and over for hours and everything is correct and matched up perfectly. I don't know why there's a delay in getting charged but it does, they told me it's the system but I really don't think they know why. Either way, it's good I didn't get charged twice but I would recommend they update their system or improve it. I'll still be using the online but I'll be more observation when I send the money and prevent any more problems. Took me a week but was able to get some results, hope many take warn when using the Western Union online. Check it twice and keep on checking.

Original Review

Hi. I've been using WU for a long while now sending money over the counter. Hated the long lines but had no problems. Recently this year I started using their app. At first didn't have any problems until recently when I sent money to a relative of mine overseas. Had no problems. It went through and they got it, but a few days later I got alert from my bank that I was getting charged again for the same amount. So I called the service department to check what had happened. The person was very nice and informative. He told me that they were having problems with a third party that handles money transfer I think World Pay but can't remember. Anyway that I shouldn't worry cause I wouldn't get charged since it just a minor glitch in the system.

But yesterday I got charged for the amount and I had to call to see why I was charged again. This time the person I got didn't really help much - told me the same thing. I asked "How long will it take to get my refund?" She said she wouldn't know cause it's a third party and it was up to them how long it will take to refund my money. I was just curious here, Has anyone actually gotten their money refunded back or had any results from receiving back their money? I'm going to call today and find out if I can contact the third party and see if I can get my refund back. If anyone has more information on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks have a great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

I cancelled a transaction on July 17th because Western Union wouldn't accept the ID of the receiver, and today is August the 4th 2016 and I still haven't received my refund. I was told the refund would take 5 to 7 business days. On July 25th six days later I received a phone call from Western Union informing me that my money would be refunded back to my account the following day on Tuesday July 26th. Tuesday evening no refund, Wednesday evening no refund. I called Thursday evening July 28th and was transferred around, the "it's not my department" line, and when I was finally connected to the internet department I was told Western Union's third party payment processor is experiencing a service disruption.

I called Western Union every day and was told the same story and that my case was being sent to the main office, seems like all the customer services reps are offshore. Even when you ask to speak to a supervisor you just get transferred to another call center with someone else whose native language isn't English. Today I called the number listed as the US corporate office and still end up in a call center somewhere and was given the same story service disruption and that I have to wait for Western Union to call me. I even tried live chat (August the 4th at 2:15PM EST) and was told the same thing with one difference, my refund is being processed again. If there is a third party system disruption how can my refund be processed again. Here's the text from my conversation:

"I know it can be frustrating, the refund attempt was made today and we expect that the funds will be back in your account soon." "We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Western Union's third party payment processor is experiencing a service disruption which has caused a delay in processing the refund. We have processed the refund again and we expect it to be back in your account in the next 7 days." "I apologize for the inconvenience, Philip, but that's the information our payment processor provided. They have made another attempt and expect it to be back in your account in the next 7 business days."

I don't know how a multi-million dollar company depends on a third party company to issue refunds and that companies system is down for over 10 days, someone needs to be fired. If I do get my refund in 7 days that will be almost 4 weeks later. Unacceptable. I am calling my bank to see what they can do. The worst customer service and the worst online transaction I've ever had. Won't do business again and I've done a lot of business with Western Union for over 30 years.

I tried to send money to my niece today for my great niece's first birthday in Missouri. Paid $12 for the monies in minutes, yea right! Two hours later my niece calls me to let me know that the transaction is still being processed. I called WU only to be told the transaction had been declined due to previous transaction history. What history? I've never sent money by WU or any other service before!!?? I was told by the agent that couldn't speak English very clear that it would take 1-12 hours for me to receive a phone call from a different agent to let me know that my money is released for me to return to where I sent it from so I may pick it up!!!! Seriously is this a joke or what?! From what I'm reading on here I may never see that $100 again. I will never ever use this company again if I have to send money to anyone.

I have a stack of complaint letters with numerous cases of incompetence by Western Union. Moving call centers to the Philippines years ago was a huge mistake! I've been a customer of WU for years having sent thousands and constantly told I'm a loyal or valued customer. Please... you don't put on hold, escalate 4 levels, cancel and even send notifications saying the money is ready and then inform the customer that their transaction is being reviewed once again all the time saying how valued I am. I was told someone has the same name as me and they're banned from using WU. Guess what WU? I don't care because you have my driver's license & passport on file although you continually ask for it over and over again.

If there is really someone with the same name, simply check the documentation and not delay or cancel my transactions. I've never met such incompetence with patronizing ignorant requests or comments as what's coming out of WU in the Philippines. They read a script that they won't deviate from and unlike the U.S. where "the customer is always right", they treat you like you're doing them a favor. I've written to the headquarters in Colorado and they're just as incompetent and patronizing as the fools in the Philippines. I can't wait for another alternative to ditch these incompetent people. They do "nothing" to facilitate but everything possible to obstruct and delay. They have a lot to learn about customer service. Mostly, when they lose their customers, they will be out of business. Their service is deplorable and atrocious.

I tried to use WU Pay because it is the lowest fee to send money to a lithuanian person who had done some work for my grant. All my transaction attempts were declined - multiple times over two months. I was told that I could only send money by going in person to a store and providing cash. I was given a promotional discount, which reduced the fee, but the hassle of calling and calling and then having to go in person was very unpleasant. While I have excellent credit, this should be immaterial, since with WU Pay, I send Western Union money using my bank's online banking service, so western union can't possibly lose money on me.

I then went to moneygram to pay several other individuals in other countries and had no problems. Unfortunately the lithuanian wants western union. Western union operators were generally unhelpful, and spoke with such strong accents that they were difficult to understand. They muttered in a way similar to the kind of slurring that you get when a scammer calls and they slur the name of their company so you can't quite hear it. There were frequent hangups. I was given email addresses to write to for complaints.

A family friend transferred some money to me from China. I went to the agent in order to receive the money. He entered the details and it came up. I can view the screen from where I was standing. The agent proceeded to payout but an error pop-up saying my identity needs to be verified. I was told by the agent to wait for 10 to 15 minutes. After 20 minutes I was told by the agent that the transaction cannot be found again. I asked what that means. He said the MTCN no longer contains any transfer details, that I should contact the seller to go back to the same place where the transfer was initiated to complain about the issue. I did, he went back, and he was told that my name was blocked from receiving because it matches the name of another person who has been blocked. He cancelled the transfer and send via bank transfer. I received without headache.

I know Western Union does not care about any negative reviews here because they think they are doing what is right. I do not recommend anyone to use Western Union. Even if you use them for many years without problem, your day is coming. It's just like death, just expect the surprise, especially when you needed their service the most.

I sent a money transfer July 2016. Western Union stop my transfer asking me personal information and said they will refund my 310.00 dollars. I had to wait 5 business days - to get my refund call my card holder so I call my card holder. Western Union has sent nothing. They try to tell me my money already been refunded. Liars Lists. I get alerts on my credit card no 310.00 dollars never been return. Called many time. Operators lie each time barely speak proper English. Tell you the same thing sending it now. Always thought a honest business would never rob me. Boy I was wrong and disappointed. They are worse than a thief on the street stealing people money that trusted them. I work hard for my money and if I want to spend it no one has a right to tell me how to spend it. Sign a very angry customer.

On Saturday July 9, 2016 a friend of mine was pickpocketed in Panama City Panama. I attempted to send her $150 via Western Union's online services. I first used a credit card number but was then prompted to give a debit card so that I would not be charged "cash advance" charges. WU charged an additional fees of $15, so $165 total funds were pending on my debit account. Shortly after the online transaction, my transfer was placed on "hold" and I was requested to send a copy of my driver's license (which I did, and now regret). I then received an email stating: "As a result of reviewing MTCN **, Western Union cannot complete this transaction because the sender is not permitted to use Western Union to send and receive money. File Date (MM/DD/YY): JUL/09/2016. Sending Agent: **. Western Union has refunded the senders money and any fees."

I was asked to send various other documents to be "reinstated" with their services. I became quite skeptical and I googled "why was my transfer denied with Western Union?" I encountered thousands of people across the world complaining of the same scam. Western Union debits the transaction amount plus fees. Western Union tells you that you are blacklisted and does not provide any reason. Western Union never credits back the sum of the original transaction and steals your monies.

I used Moneygram less than 1 hour after encountering my denial from Western Union without any problem or a "blacklisting" scare tactic. I filed a complaint with my bank on July 11, 2016 and my bank denied the pending charge. Another transaction from Western Union in the amount $165.00 was transacted on July 18, and my bank suggested that I cancel my debit card and file a fraud complaint against the company. In an attempt rectify the situation and receive my credit so that I did not have to cancel my card, I called Western Union today 7/21/16 and was transferred 2 times to a final phone number of 1-877-989-3268 and spoke to Lizell extension ** and the managing supervisor Alice **. They both claim that only the initial transaction on 7/9/16 took place and deny a second charge on my card on 7/18/16.

When I asked why I have not received a refund in over 12 days, they both told me that "western union is experiencing a processor problem, and there has been a disruption of the service". Neither had access to email in order to send me a written confirmation on this problem. Alice said the problem COULD be rectified in 24 hours, but I have no proof of that. So, I'm writing here today to request that my case be escalated TODAY and my monies be returned by tomorrow 7/22/16 before I file a case with my bank and the local authorities and media. I shouldn't have to wait over 12 days for a refund of a monies that were never transacted. I am also writing to help or warn other people about Western Union's scam - DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR DEBIT CARD, driver's license, bank statement or any other personal information that they may ask for! Read the numerous complaints here and google Western Union!

Q&A Protected Funds - I am tired of WU taking advantage of the homeless and making excuses for the errors. I am a teacher and I sent $800 to help my disabled sister. WU allowed someone to steal the money. When I called they quoted me policy and just told me to seek jurisdiction and no refund.

Today I tried to wire my husband $ to Sao Tome, Africa with Western Union. I spoke with a customer service agent (the whole thing took about an hour). He not only entered my home address wrong (after I repeated the zip code multiple times - I had to call back to correct this) but then, he failed to enter the CORRECT country in Africa where the money should go! At one point he said to me "South Africa" and I corrected him. I repeatedly said, "it's Sao Tome, NOT South Africa." I asked whether he needed the address of the Western Union office in Sao Tome? His response: "No. It doesn't matter where in Africa - he can pick up the $ anywhere in Africa". And I said: "Really?? Anywhere? Africa is a continent with many countries and different currencies! I don't need to specify which one?" He said "No."

In the end, my money went to South Africa and my husband in Sao Tome was unable to get his money. This man has no business being a service agent transferring people's funds - he failed to understand basic information/world geography/and how Western Union funds are transferred. If this is who Western Union hires, I am amazed that they are still in business after all these years!?!

They are fast and don't keep you waiting long. The problem is the discrepancies on their exchange rates via their website. I sent money internationally and the exchange rate on their website said $1= 2.184TND yet after I sent the money it was exchanged for only $1=2.06TND. A $70 difference! So I called their number they give for any discrepancies you may find. I told them there is a huge difference and that they made a mistake. They asked if I found the rate off Google like I am stupid. So I said "no I found on YOUR website." She said, "oh I see let me check." So she came back and said I was wrong and the rating today is $1= 2.19TND. And the only explanation she had was that rates fluctuate dramatically sometimes.

So I said, a little sarcastically, "so you're saying right at the moment I sent it dropped down from $1=2.184 TND to $1=2.06,TND, then went right back up to $1=1.9TND after I sent it??" And she says yes, that must be exactly what happened. So my thoughts are, this is ridiculous and outrageous! Sure rates drop but not like that right at the second someone sends! Sounds like a nice little excuse to not pay as much! I will not use this company again unless there is no other choice! I won't work with a company who takes your money.

I was sent money three different transactions and getting to Western Union location I was told "money received." I asked "by who?" They replied "by receiver," and I told them "am the original receiver." I called the sender to request for PROOF OF PAYMENT to know where my money was picked up. Western Union said they are investigating, checking cameras. Whereas there is no camera anywhere and told sender to check back after 20 days. Please can anyone advise me easiest way to get PROOF OF PAYMENT from Western Union and I will handle the rest investigation.

In September 2011 I have transferred money with Western Union on behalf of my cousin, the receiver's name was differed one letter from the ID. Western Union did not deliver the money to the receiver nor refunded it to me. Simply they took the money. And whenever I call to ask about my money they just promise to refund it and nothing happened till now. That was the worst experience for me with a company I dealt with for more than 15 years. I will not get back to do business with them and I will never recommend anyone to go there.

These guys are fast in debited the US accounts (do it on the same day as the transaction initiation), keep the money for 5 -7 business days and to tell you that the receiver bank rejected! They don't give any more details or information as to why it got rejected nor any information on the transfer they attempted. And that leads to cancellation of the transaction and the refund process starts, which takes another 7 business days to complete. In all they keep the money for over 2 weeks and make us go through number of calls and mails and online chatting to of no effect. Simply said, these people use the money float for the two weeks and fool the customers. No way I would recommend Western Union to anyone.

Worst customer service I have ever had. Representatives rude and unprofessional, asked inappropriate questions and wasn't there to help at all. I tried to send money but they refused to accept it, and couldn't tell me a reason why. Then I tried to get my money back and it took me 2 days because not every Western Union branch have enough money on premises. And I called customer service in advance to find out where I can go to pick my money up. 3 times they gave me wrong information. I have been a customer for over 9 years and after all this I would never recommend to anyone to work with this company! And supervisor Merry ID** is the worst.

I have been making transfers by Western Union for many years. Some three months ago WU changed their website. Since then, I have not been able to make transfers online using Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Each time I email WU with my experience I get a reply requesting I fill in all the information of the failures, which of course I do. I then get a reply asking me to clear all my cookies and cache, which I do. I then get a reply telling me to go to a WU agent or send via SOFOFT or make a telephone transfer using the promotion code supplied, which I don't want to do as it is inconvenient.

Not only that but I had already informed WU that ALL modes of making transfers had not been possible. However due to an urgent need to transfer I went to a WU agent who tried to make the transfer only to be informed my account had been blocked. It is impossible to communicate with this company. So in future I will be sending money via AZIMO who only charge £1,00 but only to the receivers bank.

CAVEAT EMPTOR. My son called and needed money as he had an emergency. I could not think of a way to get him the money quickly and when someone mentioned Western Union I jumped at it. "Money in minutes" is western union's motto... That was 4 days ago and still no money. Initially western union contacted the bank to handle the transfer which prompted the bank to take the money from my account and place it into pending (pending means you cannot use it). Western union then proceeded to not fulfill its promise on the transfer. After almost an hour of being on the phone I was finally told that the system was down and they would have to refund the money. Now western union tells me that it takes 7 to 10 days for them to complete the refund. I asked them "How can you offer to transfer money in minutes be unable to do so and then take 7 to 10 days to return it?" No response. So I asked to speak to a supervisor.

The supervisor told me they cancelled the transaction the same day and the bank has my money, well yes technically they do but western union bureaucracy is holding up the process; since all the bank knows is that I made a transaction with western union and now it needs the transaction to be reversed before it can release the funds. In retrospect my son is only a 7 hour drive away. I could have saved myself time and a lot of grief if I had driven out to him.

I have been sending money overseas to my nephew for months. The very first time I tried to send money I used his middle name instead of last name, which he goes by. It just wasn't changed on his ID. After being told they could not complete the transfer I had to cancel that transaction and place another. I was assured that the $200 would be put back on my credit card within one to seven business days. Throughout this time I continue to send money no problems. After two months and Western Union had not refunded my credit card. I contacted the Credit Card Company who immediately opened up a case against Western Union and Capital One put the money back on my card.

Long story short Western Union has blocked me from sending money from the mobile app. They have made it impossible for me to use any online services they offer. I must find an agent location and pay cash. Which is just hard due to the seven hour time difference and the urgency of the money that is needed. I have been given the run around by Western Union for days! If this was not the only way for my nephew to receive money I would never use Western Union! I thought they were a respectable business. But that is far from the truth. They have given me four different reasons as to why I can't send money. Change of address. The apt number in second address line. Tried too many times to change it. Doesn't match my profile.

I have sent pictures of my credit card statement with address to their webcare site. Nothing. I get an email stating the address is wrong. Unfortunately this didn't happen until my credit card went after them for the money from a cancelled transaction! This is the worst company ever! Their customer service is terrible. No help whatsoever!! I strongly suggest if you have another option besides Western Union I would use it...

Western Union withdrew money out of my checking account, declined my transfer on account that it was taken out of a credit card (scary. This is what they have in their system, when the transaction came from a checking account with a major bank). Needless to say that the transfer to my folks did not go through. I checked with my bank to see whether the money was transferred to Western Union and it did OUT OF CHECKING not a credit card. Meanwhile the agent at Western Union is insisting on getting my bank card information and to admit that I used my card to effect the transfer, something which clearly is false and did not occur. They won't refund my money back to my bank. They told me that I have to contact my own bank to start the dispute process. Do not deal with Western Union.

My client send me some money from UK to Bangladesh via WU Bank Transfer. It's already 9 days & still the money didn't arrived. I check my bank info, it was OK. I contacted my bank, they said no transaction. Really dissatisfied.

On April 12, 2016 I paid for a money transfer to an individual in LA. Later that day, someone presented an ID with information that was close but the name was misspelled and the address didn't match. During the next few minutes, I received several texts from the scammer stating the name was spelled incorrectly and that the Western Union employee would not give him the money (good). However, after a few minutes of badgering, the Western Union employee turned over the funds anyway (bad). In a nutshell, this was a scam. HOWEVER, money was turned over to someone whose ID did not match 100% the information in the order. Why did this happen? Was the Western Union employee perhaps involved in the scam? I dont know but I do know that Western Union did not follow its own policies.

On April 13 and April 14, 2016 I spoke to Western Union supervisors in the Records Validation, Consumer Protection, and Security departments. Different supervisors (Mark, Alexis, Ana) looked into this and stated that their records show that the ID did not match the order (oops). A representative from my bank listened in on these calls and can verify the information. However, Western Union has declined to speak with her.

Every time I call Western Union, I get another story or I am transferred to "someone who can help." No one at Western Union appears to be empowered to correct an obvious mistake. After getting the runaround from Western Union for several weeks now, I have filed a police report and a detective is now working on the case. Bottom line: DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING IN WESTERN UNION'S TERMS & CONDITIONS OR POLICIES. They don't follow them and they will not support a customer when one of their employees makes an error.

We have a 501 (c) 3 charity that sends money to Kenya to pay for students to attend good schools. They refused to send our money. Western Union does not want to help poor students in Africa. Don't use them!!!

Had to transfer the money twice. Instant payment to them (and every other bank account in Britain), but the first payment, which did not pass their "verification checks", takes 7-10 days to transfer back. That's good for their cash flow I suppose. Now I've yet another task to do in 10 days to log into my bank account and make sure that the refund was made. I doubt it will be so I'll be chasing them again. The call center number in the UK is engaged most of the time. Probably with 1000s of people trying to get refunds or find out where the hell their money went too.

I've no idea why terrorists would fund anything through Western Union. Much faster to fly there with cash in your pocket or just FedEx it. No emails from them to say that the first payment had failed. 6 hours later still no monies at the receiver's end. Terrible service. Defeats the whole point of emergency cash funds. Imagine if you were in Zagreb at the dentist's office or needing to pay a lawyer and had to wait several days for the money.

I used the app on my phone and it was great, very convenient! There's an 800 limit before you have to verify your id with them. So I attempted to do that and received an email just saying they would be in touch. So I phoned customer service next day and the guy told me where to email my id documents and what's required. So I duly did that that afternoon. I was told it takes 48 hrs on working days.

11 days later and several calls and emails to Western Union and I am still no closer to getting my id verified online to use my online account. All they tell me over the phone is the obvious, that I can use any Western Union agent nearby. I knew that already! Talk about stating the obvious! So no, their customer service and id verification unit are absolute rubbish! Use the online service if you just need to send occasional money, otherwise don't bother. And I still have no idea when my id will be verified now after sending the right documents 3 times now! Utter rubbish!

I was super excited about getting my Western Union Mastercard. Couldn't wait to use it. I am a traveling sales agent and this was going to be perfect. My boss sent my money Western Union. When I called last night to have it transfer to my Western Union Mastercard I was told they don't offer that. The service is offered on my Western Union account. The customer service told me I could pick it up my money at any Western Union agency at 6 am on June 11th. And this wasn't true.

So, then I go to a Western Union agent and now Western Union has cancelled the transfer and I can't get my money. I call my boss. We call 3-way to Western Union. The manager had no explanation as to why they would cancel and refund his money in 7 business days. Now he has to go back to Western Union to resend more money. I hope he gets his money back from his first transaction. I have seen many reviews that Western Union is not refunding customers the money they sent. I am not happy about this at all. I have been a customer for years.

I tried to transfer money to my friend's account in UK on 02 June 2016. Western Union have deducted money from my account and says it's been transferred to my friend's account but has not been received by the receiver so far. I keep on calling Western Union every day but they don't bother about this. Is anyone knows what should I do get my money back or my friend can get money into his account.