Western Union

• 2%
  • 1%
  • 89%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
    Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 23, 2024

Money ($100) I sent since 19th of July is still in progress, this company has so much deteriorated that their remote employees now lies to keep up the face of the company. I called the WU agent and she said the problem is with my bank, this is a total lie and cannot be accepted. This company is fraudulent and to get the remote customer on the phone takes a whole lot of time.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed July 20, 2024

I would give -10 stars if I could. A family member with the same last name as me try to send me a small amount of money. I drove 20 miles out of the way to go pick it up, only to be told that it was declined because the sender never called and verified that they sent the money. This company is an absolute joke. How can you not figure out that someone is sending money ON YOUR WEBSITE is who they say they are?!?? They deserve to be shut down for the way they handle, these types of transactions, I will never use Western Union or any affiliate of Western, these types of transactions, I will never use Western Union or any affiliate of Western Union ever again.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed July 20, 2024

I am a American living in Nigeria, married to a Nigerian. Every time I transfer money for my use from my US account to my husband's account I am bombarded by calls from supposedly many different US gov't offices claiming that the person I am sending money to is under investigation in his own country for fraud and I am a victim of a scam. All lies since I am the one sending and receiving the funds. This only happens when I use WU, no other platform. Funny they all sound like the same people I talk to at WU customer service. There is something very fishy and I will no longer use WU.

Reviewed July 18, 2024

First, they let someone break in my account. Then they blocked it. Then they didn't let me send money. Then they sent me an email, they fixed everyting. And now I can't send money again. Support doesn't help. Money blocked. Can I call it a good service? No.

Reviewed July 15, 2024

Western Union just makes up the rules as they go along. I sent a transfer to the same recipient as I have done several times in the past. I paid for an *instant* transfer and it stays "In Progress" status undelivered. Chat support blatantly lies and refuses to assist claiming it has to be held until the 16th when the receipt *clearly* says the 15th. Even worse it IS already the 16th in the recipient's country and they still refuse to release it for no apparent reason.

Reviewed July 15, 2024

Wort possible customer support. I can't create an account because their system claims by phone number would have been used already. But they are unable to delete it, or whatever it takes to fix the problem. I am simply unable to create an account because they will not let me enter my phone number. And their support does everything possible to avoid acknowledging of their own issue. They keep asking me nonsense like clearing browser cache and other support-line-standard-nonsense that never leads to any results because the problem is on THEIR end. Ignorant, arrogant, not solution-focused. Worth nothing.

Reviewed July 14, 2024

Western Union sucks. They hold your money for days before they send it. Do not trust them. I went to Publix and they even called them and Western Union Hung up on manager. Western Union is a bunch of scammers.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 13, 2024

This is the worst money transfer service in Canada!!!! My friend sent me $1000 CAD through WU. I got a transfer ID too. But the worst part is no Money Mart, Cash Money, have a $1000 to pay customers as a payout. They can give out only $200-$300 at a time. When I called the Customer Service Call Centre on 1800-235-0000, first of all an automated voice will try to help you. It is only after you say twice that you wish to speak to an agent that the call is transferred. And even the agent is in no position to help me with information about a dedicated WU office in Toronto, Ontario. All the Call Centre agents said that there is no dedicated WU office in Toronto that could handle bigger amount payouts.

All convenience store agents can only send money and they cannot receive any money. I was running around different stores across Brampton, Ontario where I live so I could receive the money but I did not get the money. Ultimately, I asked my friend to cancel the $1000 transfer. So, I would not suggest anyone to use this service in Canada at least to send money locally. Being such a big money transfer organization, it is very poorly managed in Canada!!! I would never use this service again. PLEASE DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION FOR YOUR MONEY NEEDS!!!!

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed July 12, 2024

SCAM.... WU is a Complete scam. I sent my money, they returned my money...ok I resend my money to be picked up by myself and the daily rate it was they gave me waaay less and I did not realize it until I got home with the money.

Reviewed July 6, 2024

Don't do business with them, takes a hr on phone, have to keep repeated the same info over and over and over. And very few ** you can't talk to. Western Union really sucks, there got to be a better way to send money.

Western Union author review by Tammy Burns

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

by Tammy Burns Deputy Editor, Personal Finance

A former finance phobe, Tammy now devotes her career to ensuring that people don’t make the same money mistakes she once did. Her work has appeared in Fortune, the Toronto Star, Advisor’s Edge, Greedy Rates, and Money Under 30. She joined ConsumerAffairs in 2023. Tammy studied magazine publishing at Toronto Metropolitan University and has a BA in psychology from York University, and her earlier journalism took her from editing law books to writing restaurant reviews to reporting live from the Eyjafjallajökull eruption in Iceland. A part-time digital nomad, Tammy calls Toronto home but has also lived in Chiang Mai, Prague, Glasgow and rural Crete.

Western Union Company Information