1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

748 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

After money was sent; found out the receiver's ID wasn't current. I tried to change from needing ID to answering a question; I was told they were not able to switch, that I would need to request a refund... then, I was told that a refund would take up to 1-2 days; I went back to the store (as instructed) after waiting 4 days... nope, now I have to wait 7 days and they will credit my debit card... what!?!? If you are going to use Western Union ~ please, go into an agent, then if something goes wrong, someone will help you! Not happy!

Original review: April 22, 2018

If I could give these guys a negative 5 I would, they have double charged me 3 different times. I will never use this company again, I put a complaint in over a month ago and have not gotten my money back. They will be real quick to take your money and double charge you for it but they will not return it.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 19, 2018

WU is a corrupt business. I was sent a $50 money transfer from a good friend in Florida. She was told the transfer was being held for a review! For a $50 transfer!! She insisted it be cleared for me and then got a call from WU saying they wouldn’t release a penny to me. She said the agent told her they couldn’t tell me why there was a hold but I could call. I did that and the WU agent I spoke to said he couldn’t tell me, the sender would have to call back and they will give her the answer immediately and she could tell me. Exactly opposite of what she was told to do. All this for a $50 money transfer!!! I will never again recommend WU for anything. They are corrupt and the agents are all Indian-speaking and hang up on you when you ask to speak to a supervisor. Going to use MoneyGram Walmart to Walmart in the future. Very poor business customer service at WU.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I sent my girlfriend money in the Philippines so she could go and get her passport interview. I sent money through Western Union and within one hour they emailed me saying that the money has been picked up already, I talked to my girlfriend and she said "What?? I never picked it up yet." So I called Western Union and they didn't care to even call the store that apparently paid it out. They told me to look into it and ask where it was paid out. I was shocked!!! I am paying you guys for the service! I said, "It's your representative and it's your responsibility to take care of me as a customer." They wouldn't call the store, all they did was tell me that it was paid out already in Taguig, which is over 1000km away from where my GF lives. So I told them that it's impossible for my girlfriend to travel that far in one hour. They still wouldn't deal with it.

They said, "Sorry sir for the inconvenience and we will look into it, here is the case number and it will take 20 days." I can't believe it! How hard is it for them to contact the store while everything is still fresh and then talk to the employee that paid out this money to someone else. Not fair in any way. It's so nice to see a Company like this get to where they are and how they treat their customers. That is scary to know that your money is not safe and to know that your transfer could be paid out to a person with no ID etc. I will never use them again. There are a few different companies, even banks now that offer this service, why pay these crooks money when we can just go to our bank, at least they are more organized and actually care. If I could give a negative rating for Western Union I would. Be careful if you are using them.

Original review: April 19, 2018 It seems that Western Union’s employees are trained to lie, make excuses, evade answering customers question and hanging up at any time during the call. When a transfer is denied they will never ever tell you why. None of it makes any sense. They are told to just tell customers that federal laws and requirements are the reason. When you ask them why any and all transfers from other companies never ever have issues or denials they just tell you to go to them and hang up.

Their app will decline a transfer and you will immediately receive an email stating that the transfer was declined but if you go to the local Western Union location they will transfer the money. That is only true a small fraction of the time. I am handicapped so while it is difficult for me to travel to a Western Union location, I have done it to ensure that the families that I help get the funds they need.

So I Arrive at the location, wait in line, then am told about 50% of the time that they cannot transfer the money either. Or on two occasions they accepted my cash, approved the transfer then reversed and declined a day or two later. On one occasion they held my $400 cash for 4 months because they never ever gave me the NEW tracking number that customers need to get their money back. This rude, callous, dishonest company should be fined and we need a new law that requires all “money transfer” companies to clearly state the “EXACT REASON” for any money transfer being declined. The reason or explanation must be real and honest, something that can be verified by the customer or appealed. And if they CHOOSE TO BE RUDE AND DISHONEST, they should be fined or shut down completely.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: April 18, 2018

My daughter just sent money to her boyfriend in Brooklyn New York. He never received the money. The representatives said it was in my name. My daughter is 21 years old and has her own account with. How is it possible. I tried to remove my name from their account. It's a waste of time talking to them. I want to file an official complaint against them. For months I've had issues with them. Now they are messing with my children. Please have them investigated and shut down. They aren't professional and they lie to the customers. They have no integrity. They are crooks. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have never seen such a terrible transfer company before in my life. One of my friend has sent me money from Turkey to UK which is 500 euros. Western Union asked 50 euros to send this money. It is too much for 500 euros but anyway he sends the money. In UK I wanted to get this money as Euros but they said it is a policy you can't receive your money in Euros in UK. I said, "Ok. I respect the policy." They wanted to give me the money as Sterling which makes 411 Sterling. So I have calculated. We have already paid 50 euros to transfer the money and plus almost 50 euros more from currency exchange, because the Western Union doesn't exchange the money like a regular bank. They also exchange the money with a high rate there. They can also make money by doing this. So instead they giving me 450 sterling. They tried to give me 411 with the exchange.

So in this case to send 500 euros from Turkey to UK you pay 100 euros. I said there is a big mistake here and I refused to get money in UK. I wanted them to send me the money in Ireland where I could get 500 Euros exactly. I have called the Western Union. Asked them if the sender can change the country without paying any ADDITIONAL charge. The lady on the phone comfortably said that the sender can change the receiver's country without any additional charge easily. I have asked this question two times and she said, "Yes. You can change without an extra payment." The sender went to the Western Union again to change the country while sending but they said that they can't change the country and they asked 50 euros more to change the country. I called Western Union again to explain this and remind them the previous call we had and I have asked them to listen the call again if they don't believe me.

They have returned me after 10 days by email that says they have listened the call but no such thing was said or promised. Anyway I was very sure because I have asked the question two times. I have no tool to check or listen that call of course. They said that they have nothing to do with that and if we want to change the country we have to pay again transfer money 50 euros. I couldn't get my money almost 20 days because of their mistake and late answers. I didn't have another choice and I got the money in UK where I have received 411 Pounds. To sum up we have spent 100 euros to receive 500 from Turkey to UK. I can share all the details of mine or transaction if required.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Ok now I'm really angry that I was not told that I wasn't allowed to send money to my brothers. I want to know when can I send money. It's been a week and I have a wedding in three weeks and I won't be able to get my man here on time because you think I'm a fraud or my extended family isn't family. How dare you Western Union. I want to be reinstated now so my man can be here for my wedding with family that have trouble travelling.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I am being denied payout for a money transfer sent to me because I'm not in my home state where the money was sent. My ID matches my home state. For this to be a nationwide company this is a disservice to customers. If you're in the country the transfer is sent why can't it be picked up anywhere. Especially since my ID is for the home state and I have the MTCN number. Promoting other companies cause this one has turned out to be the worst after decades of service. Walmart to Walmart by MoneyGram never gave me that probably.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Very frustrating experience with sending money either online or with mobile app (both methods have same issues). Key problems: I needed to send money to existing receiver, but could not get past verifying receiver's address because address format was in US format, not receiver's country's. When I tried Edit & resend option, it does not allow to change any billing information. No screen navigation whatsoever. This is a buggy and juvenile app. Frustrating is all I can say.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I used the quick collect services to send a payment to Ally Financial and Ally Financial to contacted me two weeks later stating that they had an issue with their company code and my monies went to GM Financial. I was advised to ask for a refund. It's been 8 weeks and no refund from WU. I get the runaround about and GM isn't responding to their request to return my funds. There is no way for me to get my money back if GM don't respond back to their request. I complained and told WU I was filing a complaint and the next day they send me an email stating that my WU account was deactivated. I've already lost my car behind this and now I can't get my money back either. I really need my money back.

Original review: April 10, 2018

First time ever I transferred amount to India and used Western Union. It’s been a week. Amount is not yet transferred and every time I call I get different story from all. I spoke to supervisor ANN with operator ID **. After being on hold for about 10-15min she gave me a new story of 48hrs standard process and I will get refund in cash. I told her why the outlets don’t inform this people. She said, "Sorry." While I was telling it’s not about sorry but I don't know where my amount is she interfered and said something. I asked her what she said. Without reply she acted like she could not hear my voice and said, "Hello" twice. She did a formality of taking my call. If that so there are people ready to take up jobs seriously out there. WAS THIS JUSTIFIED REPLY???? And this is not fake review for record.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I was using Western Union before with no problem. 2 years ago when I send money lot of information were asked by Western Union. I sent money in Kenya for business purposes and Western Union asked me a lot of questions. I said to them that people use Internet for business all over the world. But they end up closing my account. It is difficult for business now.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have sent money through them for the last 9 months on a weekly basis and it started out fine and no problems with sending money to my boyfriend. Lately the last few weeks have been a complete nightmare. Each time the agent messed up on information charging incorrect amounts. When I escalate the call to a supervisor they say I need more identification which I've never had to do and even other time I try to send money it goes through without a problem. I tried sending money and they said they couldn't and the supervisor I talked to said he will open up an investigation. And when I request the results to be emailed he said they will call said bye and hung up when I was in midsentence. Literally the worst company ever!

Original review: April 2, 2018

On Friday March 30th 2018 filled out form for Western Union and sent $400.00 to son in Florida. Son could not receive because Mine was used and Fl was no used. Called Western Union and rep canceled order and said to go back into store and they would give me a refund to resend. No options in stores for refund, store called Western Union and was told they would refund my money within 24 hrs after getting email from back office to approve refund.

Today is April 02 2018 and I called Western Union again being treated like they're doing me the favor and was told that I would have to wait again for 24 - 48 hours till back office approved my refund. Not to mention on Friday March 30th I once again paid $400.00 for the second time because my son was broken down in Florida and needed the money immediately. At this point I give Western Union below average ratings. Their form on their computer doesn't say anything about what state sender is in, leading a person to believe the state on they're ID. Their service person had misguided me as to the refund and continues with each person there. I will never use this service again, they're nowhere close to customer service and they misrepresent their services to the customer.

Updated on [04/04/2018]: Update with Western Union refunding me my money. Called Monday April, 02 2018 to get the same response as before 24-48 hours. Called Western Union today April 04 2018 to receive a new response. Their employees entered the information incorrect and now it will be 5-7 business days before I can see a refund. It is hard to believe that a company that is worldwide can be so incompetent and divided away from service and it's customers. Their Moto might say loved ones receive their money in minutes, but their customer service says an entire different story. I will never trust or do business with Western Union again. Customer service has to be first for my business.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I tried to send cash to the Philippines with Western Union. They sent me a phone text telling me it was on hold. I called the number provided and verified my identity then the questioned me about the receiver of the funds (my fiancee). I just spent a month with her and her parents and brothers and sisters as well as sitting in the English department office with her fellow English teachers while she taught her students. The woman on the phone told me that she believed that my fiancee is defrauding me and they refused to transfer the money. I did get a full refund with the fees but that does not cover the insult to my incredible fiancee and myself. I don't mind if they give me warnings and inform me that others have been cheated by sending money overseas but I am an adult and can make up my own mind. I'm not sure if they realize that there are liars and cheats in every country on Earth including Canada.

Original review: April 1, 2018

JUST a horrible place to do business with. Do not send money here, I wish I could have given -100% rating to Western Union. Never in my life has someone sending a 100$ using a valid id and the receiver also present a valid id and 5 mins later you get a call from your family member saying that Western Union refuse to allow the transaction to go through without a good explanation???? I can't even send??? To my family members without this happening. Please do not do business with this company. I will never do business ever again with them.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Tried to send money to Brazil using Western Union on Winn-Dixie store on Hiawassee with Raleigh St in Orlando FL. The cashier who did the transaction wrote a totally different name on the sender’s name and the receiver couldn’t get the money out so I went for a refund. They made me wait in line for like an hour and made me call Western Union, had stay on the line for like 30 mins for nothing to be resolved, then they told me to call back after an hour. After an hour I called back then they made me go back on store to do the same thing over again.

So I stayed there for another hour then Western Union wanted the call to be made off of Winn-Dixie phone, so they did and after waiting for so long and they asking me security question they finally said they would send me the refund money via mail after 7-14 business day. It was my first and last experience with Western Union and I’ll never recommended either Winn-Dixie store and Western Union company for no one in this world, so be careful with this companies. All they care is about your money and they will do everything to keep it and never refund to you!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have a secured card where the credit limit is the cash that I deposit into the card. Had the card for over a year and every month I saw there was an option for Western Union bill pay. This month I asked for a higher credit limit so was told to send in whichever amount whether by mailing a money order or Western Union. I chose Western Union since don't want to deal with a money order being lost in the mail. I been a WU customer since 2009, sending maybe 1 transfer a year. So I log in to my account, reset my password and go to their bill pay section, FIND MY CREDIT CARD ISSUES, there in their list of accounts. I thought I would have to add it but it was there.

I sent the money through, $300, then got a need more info email. I sent back the email with the requested additional info asap and understood the 3 business days it asked to verify info. 5 days later, I call to check status since they say it is on hold. I am told The department that handles is very busy, I said I would wait. 2 hours later, they said they need more info on the company. So same day I get an email asking me to send in documentation, I send in the letter giving me the Western Union info. They said it will take 5 days to review this info. Okay on the Day 11, the 6th day, transfer is still on hold. So I called and spoke to supervisor, she said she is escalating this transaction to get an answer in 48 hours.

Day 14, hour 72 of the 48 hours, I call back. The supervisor tells me they didn't receive none of my forms. I told them I have an email confirming they received it and nothing needed further, oh she then finds it. Then mentions she doesn't see my info on the company, but then she finds it. I request the transaction cancelled and refunded. She said she will escalate it and 48 hours I will have it. Same day, I paid $6 and mailed $300 cashier check priority mail. Three days later, 72 hours of their 48 hours, credit card has the cashier check and is processing it and meanwhile my WU money in minutes transfer is still on hold. I called again and requested refund, got reps who would forget their phone isn't on mute and laugh with their co-workers and gossip. 1 hour later, was told they are escalating this problem and will have an answer in 2 days.

Day 20, I get the same email that they need a document from the card company again and this transaction is escalated. Meanwhile card company processed my cashier check and funds are available. I was worried about getting my money order lost, but should've just spent the extra $6 for priority mail and $3 for a traceable cashier check like I did versus spending $12 to transfer $300 which it looks like I am out of. Lesson learned - do it yourself or go Moneygram.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I used Western Union for a while but they always a pain because I send money to a friend in Nigeria and sometimes they cancel the transaction and don't tell me a reason when I call them. They are such idiots. I would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I would like to share my Western Union nightmare with you: I live in rural Mexico... My friend from Russia sent me money because I had a problem and needed it. My friend sent it without me asking for it... She only contacted me after she sent the money and told me MTC number. $500 USD... So here I am going to 3 different paying out locations by Western Union and none of them is able to pay me because "their system won't allow it"... "Country seems to be a problem... We not connected to payout from Russia..." So I contact my friend. She then contacts her bank from where money was sent to Western Union (let me tell you that in Russia procedure is totally different... Not like in US&Canada where you can simply call)... So the bank contacts Western Union and they tell the bank money is still there and I could get it in OXXO location which is the main paying out location of Western Union money...

OK, I was surprised because OXXO is a small corporate store and half of the time you are lucky if they charge you correctly for a can of coca-cola ok, let alone pay you any foreign money transfers... (At least in rural part where I live)... So I go to 3 OXXO locations and none of them know what I am talking about. One guy told me: "We never have that much money in our cash register anyway." UM, ok, I was finally lucky to find a guy who knew what I was asking... He was the person I provided the number with and he typed everything in. All looks good, and when transaction is finalized his system prints out receipts TRANSACCION NO REALIZADA =TRANSACTION IS NOT COMPLETED.

I wanted to make sure it was not completed and asked him to try again... And Western union MTC number was not appearing in his system anymore... Disappeared from the system completely. We both in shock... He is now trying to contact his main manager in another city of Mexico to explained what happened and they are not very helpful or informative about anything. At this time my friend from Russia is texting me that she received a notification that money was DELIVERED to me.

I am as confused and lost as the guy in OXXO store. His machine printed out TRANSACTION IS NOT COMPLETED and MTC number was gone. His register print out shows no payout and Western Union status looks as they paid me the money my friend sent. I try to contact his higher management in Monterrey City. They tell me over the phone they don't know what happen but need 3 days to go through his cash register. They not explaining anything to me about what's going to happen next if money is not found. I call my friend and tell her about this... She is now leaving work early to go to the bank in Russia from where money was sent to WU (because this is standard procedure there) and bank calls Western Union.

Western Union in Russia refuses to take a report from a bank or from my friend as according to them money was sent by them and they should be dealing with Mexican side. I am desperately looking for a phone number in Mexico for Western Union and all I find is OXXO numbers as they are authorized Western Union points of payout. They not telling me anything because their system is limited. They don't know or see anything on their side. They say they would contact me in 3 days. I am desperate now because it looks like money has been paid out to me when it was NOT! I am calling US number as it is an American company and perhaps they will be better at addressing this problem. They said that this number is ONLY for US customers and that the best I can do is tell my friend to contact Russian WU. I told my friend to do so.

She now calling WU in Russia. They tell her by procedure she has to go to the bank and ask for a special blank to fill out... Only bank can request this form... Bank won't do it because according to them money was received and so on and on... She is leaving the work early again to go to the bank and to explained the situation again hoping to get the blank to fill about money not being received. I WAITED 24 HOURS TO SEE IF anything changes. All the same.

Next day I am calling US Western Union line to see what can be done. All I get is, "Sorry ma'am US & Canada only..." I finally get a guy who says he can transfer me to Mexican WU... WOW REALLY? Do it as there is no number for WU in Mexico anywhere. He transfers me to one of the paying out locations where they don't have a clue what I am talking about... Guy says in a low voice in Spanish: "We are not Western Union. We are Vigo..." I call again and I finally get this girl on the phone who is actually now understands what I am saying... Russian WU won't take report from my friend, Mexican side OXXO is not providing me with any information as where is the money, poor guy in a store is as pale as I am now.

She is telling me to go back to the store and make the guy call her from store phone, state his ID and call back to them... I get dressed in a minute. I walk 3km in a heat 40+C. I get there. I ask this Mexican clerk to help me. He says ok. He calls US number. They ask for his agent ID, he then calls his company OXXO corporation. They do not provide him with his agent ID (not because they are evil but because they don't know what he is asking, people are untrained, there is a little infrastructure, it is a mess). He tries to call US as I call US and ask for supervisor. I get this guy on the phone. He says he will be able to help me by looking for supervisor from Mexican Western Union to call me.

Fine. After 45 minutes I am still in a store where Mexican Oxxo guy in trying to explained to operator in his poor English he needs to speak to supervisor. He is calling from Oxxo store in Mexico and guess what?? He gets transferred before he can finish talking because number he is calling is for US and Canada ONLY. I get a call at this point from US number some guy speaking spanish supervisor but he is not from WU of Mexico. He is from US and he can't help us because he can only see system details for US and Canada customers. The clerk from OXXO is calling from his personal phone as a phone in his store is only for extensions.

I call again. Explain all again and the girls says their store is associated with phone. He must be calling from that phone... I mean seriously? Things might be better when you are in US where everything works... This is Mexico... This phone hasn't been used he says in years. So my phone battery dies. I go back home... I get home. I call again. I explain again and I am told now to go back to the store and make this guy call them again... He just did and he was either cut off or transferred. No one is taking us seriously anywhere. Another suggestion rep did was make my friend call American WU line which she did the next day but couldn't get through because she doesn't speak English and can't press all the buttons that give options...

I mean this is a nightmare now. It's been 3 days. NO ONE knows where money is... WU in Russia says I received it, WU in US status it's delivered... I don't have the money, I never received it, never signed for it, I am worried sick now. Hasn't been able to eat for 2 days because of my situation. I had no money... I had last 20 pesos (it's about 1 US dollar). I had Coca-cola glass bottle and bolillo (Mexican bun) as my breakfast lunch and dinner now for 3 days... My friend in Russia said that she was able to fill out the blank in Russia for WU to start investigating but they take 15-20 days for any advancement or answers. OXXO corporation didn't call me even though they said in 3 days time they would.

I am unable to deal with this issue myself because calling US didn't even solve this. It looks as I got the money, Western Union says I did, I never did. OXXO guy knows I didn't because he didn't give me anything and his company knows this too because they not assisting us. They not helping even him and he works for them... Imagine me now. This is a huge mess... At this point we don't know what's going to happen. My friend is upset I didn't get the money. I am upset her money got lost and no one knows where... POOF gone into a thin air from the system. OXXO machine printed Transaction not completed guy checked his system and money was not transferred to OXXO, money is most likely in WU system but they say it's been delivered to me...

Our situation is not resolved and you can see now what this company does to people. Maybe it's better for US and Canada customers where everything can be solved with a simple call but this is a real worst nightmare for people that are international customers, people that rely on this money as urgency... Money in minutes? Service next day?? You decide for yourself... It's been 3 days for me and nothing has happened. Not me, not my friend in Russia and not OXXO guy is taking seriously.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I’ve been using WU during this deployment for the last two years. Went to send money to husband who is overseas and I was denied. I had to call customer service to answer a few questions. The last question was, "When’s the last time you’ve seen your husband?" Well he’s been deployed for 2 years. "Do you talk daily?" Usually yes we text daily. Then I’m told, "I’m sorry. We are canceling your acct. This might fraud so we are protecting you as a consumer." Really! You are protecting me a military wife from her military husband who’s deployed overseas! That is the last time I use WU. Believe me I will pass this information to all my military wives to send money through MoneyGram instead.

Original review: March 22, 2018

On 12/11/2017 my brother send me a 1000$ Western Union. So I went to Albertsons store in Dana Point CA. My brother lives in Arizona. Me in CA. So I want 1000$ cash. Could not cash the whole thing. They cash 500$ of the other, 500. It was cashier check so I went to my place. On the 12/12/2017 got robbed in my room. Took my wallet and everything else. Call the Sheriff Department on 12/13/2018. So I called Western Union and I spoken to their representative. I explain to them what happened. I asked them to stop the payment. Said no problem. Ok. On the 12/15/2017 Western Union said the check has not been cashed. I said, "Ok. Put stop payment on it." No problem. They I have to fill out form. No problem so I did.

Now me is handicap. Disabled. Also fighting cancer and I told them that every they asked me for something I go ahead and do it every time and they asked to do something. So I do it and they come back and asked me to do this so they never said so that what you need to do so it makes it delay. So now they are telling me that they can't find that transaction so now it's been, 97 day without my 500.00$ not released yet and I have giving them everything and they still not doing anything. Now you can talk to Karina in the main office in New Jersey. Phone number ** Karina #** (** that the cashier check number they gave me.). I would like you to help and get my, 500.00$ also for my pain and suffering because I am handicap and disabled. I would really appreciated if you can help me please. Thanks.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Last week, I sent €500 to my mom living in Vietnam via WU. Before actually starting to send money, they required me tons of documents and made me wait for 5 days even though they promise that the transfer only takes 2-3 days. After 5 days of waiting, they sent me an email saying that ''We cannot proceed your transfer.'' without any reason or explanation. I am very angry at their irresponsibility and snail space of them running own business. This company is like a troll.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I've used Western Union for years and it was pretty convenient, with the exception of occasional issues which were usually resolved relatively quickly. This time, however, I haven't used Western for several months and when I tried to use it again I couldn't log into my account. I've talked to four different representatives, and no one was able to help me. Everyone had a different story: one said my account was blocked, another that my account has expired, and yet the third that their website is being updated causing technical issues. I've tried time and again to log in, to change password, and to resolve the issue by calling Western. Meanwhile, a relative abroad in a bad situation is waiting for the money to be sent. 2 days of frustration, and 2 hours on the phone with representatives.

Today when I mentioned to a representative that I will switch service, she said: "If you do decide to use Western Union, we will give you 50 percent off your transaction fee." That's very nice... but I feel after all this I should get all 100% off transaction fee, and for more than just one transaction! Anyway, I switched to another transfer service provider and do not intend to use Western again. It's sad that Western Union, with years of experience in the market, have such issues and hire staff who aren't able to resolve the problem, or don't train them enough to be able to resolve it properly.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I am a retail employee. I help customers send and receive money from Western Union. A lot of customers recently have been extra unhappy. They have no ID. But they can answer a test question. Upon answering it correctly, the computer still says ID is required. For amounts of 20, 50 dollars. Once I call Western Union to get a correction or help, they are sooo hard to understand too... They just tell me the customer can receive their money and the sender needs to do the transfer all over again after the money is refunded to them. What? How about they double check with the sender that the receiver does NOT have ID. Save 'em a headache or two.

I've been hung up on several times and when the customer service rep can't answer a question, they say transfers are down at this time. What? If I don't do this right, I could lose my job. Very frustrated. Senders, make sure you specify no ID if there is none, and that there should NOT be anything prompting agents to ask for one. Western Union told me that the request for ID is a security screen. That is all. But you have to specify. Hope this helps anyone who may be equally frustrated.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Sent money last night, my mistake was driver was in Georgia and not in Maryland. I called Western Union and lady said it was corrected. My guy goes to collect and was rejected, still waiting for my refund back, they are quick to take your money out and snail pace to get it back. Why?

Original review: March 17, 2018

Hellish, this company I been asking for almost a year for my transaction copy, my ex-girlfriend run away with my money, and I want to file a case, but I can’t able to do that because I didn't have a transaction copy. This Western Union ask me to provide proof, and I comply, waiting for a weeks!!! They send a same questions and request of proof, hell, I don't know if they can really provide copy of all my transactions copy. Wake up wake up wake up wake up. You’re looosing business here!!! I will never use your company to transfer money again! Don't use this company to transfer money. You’re not protected. They will only collect fees. Other than that nothing!!!

Original review: March 16, 2018

As of today it has been a month since I cancelled a transaction with Western Union. It was cancelled due to a change in pickup in which another $1000 was sent minutes later. I have yet to receive the original $1000 that was taken from my account. Many phone calls and emails to Western Union and my bank have gotten nowhere. My bank says Western Union must reverse the transaction. Western Union acts dumb, will not return my calls or reverse the transaction even after I have sent proof via bank statements. If I stole $1000 I would go to jail so how can Western Union be permitted to operate? Don’t do business with them, shut them down!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have used Western Union for the last 4 years sending a minimal of 1 to 2 transaction a month to my fiance currently studying abroad. The other day I tried to send money, but for some reason my money transfer instantly went into under review. Within 30 minutes Western Union called me and I had to answer several of their probing questions. Sadly at the end of those questions they said they could not process this transfer at this time and they cancel my transaction, but said I could try again... And they could not give me any reason why. I'm not sure what their current problem is but I will never use their service ever again. I have literally done this transaction hundreds of times before never being a problem, but now it's a problem. Western Union has become an unreliable and sketchy company.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs