1.24/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Western Union

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

669 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I send some money to a friend in the Philippines. I had to change the name on the transaction so they could pick up the money. Instead of just changing the name, the name change generated a new transaction for the exact same amount as my original request. I have tried to process my refund over WU web page and have had no luck with getting my money back. I have also called Western Union four times to refund my original amount. Each time I speak with someone from a call center overseas and they give me really bad information.

They say it's my bank's fault (I've called my bank and they say they've never seen a request to process the amount back into my account). Western Union also asked for my bank statement to prove I never received the refund (ya right - I'm going to sent that right over to the worst customer service I've ever seen)! I've also been on hold for a long time each time I call into their customer service help desk! I thought Western Union was a reputable company! My friend was able to pick up her money. But to get a refund on my original amount has been crazy. I would avoid doing business with Western Union at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Today we can use the inexpensive bank-to-bank (ZELLE which used to be Clear Exchange) or we can use PayPal. We don't need Western Union. This entire service to exploit the vulnerable few that don't have a bank account. I see in the options "The Federal Bureau of Prisons" which tells me that FBP and WU are jointly exploiting the incarcerated as well. I googled WU and wow! The complaints are really bad. Fraud apparently abounds with this company. No thanks. You want my business? Change your fees to something reasonable and stop the fraud coming from the WU locations.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Western Union needs to be closed their money transfer if don't allow other people to pick up the money. They are really annoying. My bf send me a money today to help me pay the bills of my father in the hospital... I live in CA and he was in Florida. They are sucks because they allow the money to be send out but they won't allow me to pick it up... as if we're doing something wrong. This company is really a sucks. If there is a negative rating, this will I give to WU company.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Appalling service. Western Union you are about as useful as ** on a bull. I send over $100k from AUD and USD every year and you have just burnt a loyal customer. How? Had to message 4 different times to 4 different people at WU as my transfer to my US bank this week had 'failed' but the money was taken out of my account in Australia. The money was no longer accessible in my Australian nor my US account and as a result I was hit with overdrawal fees. 5 days later, the money is still in limbo! After a grueling slow process speaking with 'customer care' they refuse to repay the overdrawn fees caused by your system not working! And when I asked them to refer me to someone who had the power to make such a thing happen your rude robotic customer service rep just ignores it.

How is that fair!? Here's my rebuttal, all funds personal and from my business which trades internationally will now go to your competitors. I also host a group for foreigners living abroad where I will share my experience and also direct them to your competitors. Only posting it on here since it being public seems the only way to get a response. Well done you incompetent pricks!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

On 9/25/17 I sent 800 to my wife in Philippines by Western Union. Western Union notified me my wife had picked up the money but at that exact time my wife was in office of the National Bureau of Investigations getting a Visa but Western Union claimed she was 200 miles away picking up money I had sent. I notified Western Union and when they found out we had solid proof she did not pick up the money Western Union stopped replying. Now I have found this is happening so often in Philippines that money can no longer be sent there. But Western Union has done nothing to refund my money. After filing a complaint with NBI in Manila I find out they have many complaints of Western Union employees stealing money from customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

They claim you can send money to various countries, but if you try they deny. Then they call you with rude questions with some guy who can't even speak English and acting like you're the suspicious one. If you refuse to answer their insinuated questions (none of your damn business), they deny the transfer. They're obviously overseas 3rd world call center employees having access to the account information I gave to a company I thought was based in the US are the only real risk of fraud here; not my legitimate attempts to transfer money to friends and family overseas. ** this company.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

My main concern is... Customer Service... Didn't acknowledge the issue and status of the solution regarding Bermuda with no Western Unions. Failure to take action and rather distress by non caring with the incident. Policies throw in my faces and not even a solution since it was their course of action not mine. If you closed down 4 western unions as a corporate decision. Western Union financial bank should have a back up plan to solve clients' services. Instead I get "No" and "I don't know the answer". It rather disappointing. I will never use Western Union again and I am stressing to future clients. Buying we Beware.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I've had good times, and bad times with WU, and after awhile I started to take things personally after not sending my transfers and refunding them most the time now. How are you supposed to get ** done if you only got WU for security reasons. Money Gram is about the same. I'm on a hunch here.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Purchased a money transfer from Western Union. Used recipient's common name to transfer funds. Recipient could not pick up funds because legal ID was under full name. Contacted Western Union but their policy would not allow name change for security reasons. Tried to cancel the transfer via phone and was assured by two representatives on two calls that my money would be refunded within 10 days or less. It has been over 1 1/2 mos and the transaction is still active with no refund. I cannot get Western Union to refund my money or cancel this transaction.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I bought $500 money order which I did not used so I submitted for a refund to Western Union. I received $485 (minus $15 fee) check from Western Union and with Wells Fargo Bank as the issuing bank. When I deposited the refund check to my HSBC checking account and I received a copy of the front and the back of the original check back from HSBC indicated the Western Union/Wells Fargo refused to honor the check, claiming that the check was cleared and $485 had been withdrawn.

I called my HSBC and they informed me that other bank did not honor thus they sent back the copy of electronic check back to me, I contacted Western Union, they claimed the check was cleared and the money in the account was cleared. This really sounds like a 3rd countries fraud except it happens right here in the US. I file a complaint to NJ Banking Commission and don't know when will I hear from them. DON'T buy anything from Western Union!!! I feel sorry for those who don't have a checking account and I am sorry not to buy banker check.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

They cannot fix a problem in a timely way. They say on the phone they will do things, but then don't. They send emails saying they will fix things then don't fix them. They say they will generate a report, then generate a report which is wrong. I have to chase and chase and chase them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have a WU account. I requested sending money on 9/8/2017. Moment later I got a phone call saying it's from WU and asked personal questions in heavy foreign accent. First of all, how do I know if it's not a spam call? After interrogating thoroughly (I gave the caller a hard time), I determined that it was a legitimate call and verified my ID. Shortly after I received an e-mail confirming that it was approved and the fund will be available on 9/14/2017. On 9/13/2017, I received an e-mail requesting my photo ID for verification. I sent it on 9/14/2017.

Two minutes later I got a reply saying that they will review it and contact me within 2 hours. I haven't heard until the following day. The status still says it is pending. I called the customer service. The agent asked me to wait and she apparently checked the status, confirmed my ID that I sent, and processed. The fund became available waiting about 15 minutes on the phone. I have used WU many time in the past and I liked it very much. I am not sure anymore if I will ever use it again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I use WU to send money to relatives internationally. They are very dependable and pay out the money in US $ which is preferable. They also have multiple payout locations, but their fees are rather high.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I purchased Western Union Money Order last year to pay my rent. The money order to made payable to Skylight Real estate. The real estate agent and landlord contacted me to say there was an issue with the Western Union Money Order. The money order was deposited into the business account but the money was not released by Western Union. I contacted Western Union and I'm not getting this problem resolved at all. The landlord called Western Union and she is getting nowhere also. Western Union left a bad taste in my mouth and I warned all friends and family to never purchase Western Union Money Orders or utilize their services. Horrible service. My landlord is out of $1000. Western Union where is the $1000?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

So I have used Western Union a few times before for Sending and Receiving money. When I tried to send money in the past it worked. But every time I try to pick up money it never works and the system is always down!!! So a week ago a family member sent me money and I went to the Western Union store by my house and they told me the system is down. Which was their 3rd time telling me that of all the times I ever went there. And I had to leave and come back later to try again which I did. And it worked.

So today I'm trying to pick up money again and they told me the system is down again this time. (I don't have a car and I was picking up money for food). So I found another Western Union location at Walgreens which I had to walk to in the Sun hungry. And they told me the system was down there too! So I had to walk all the way home with no money or food. I am very frustrated. I want Western Union to know that people depend on this service and sometimes for emergency situations. I wish you guys can be more dependable because you're so unpredictable! I was very upset because I had to do a lot of extra walking and ended up not getting my money today. I give Western Union 0 STARS!!! Next time I will go to Money Gram!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Paid for a next business day transfer. The website kept saying "processing" 48 hours later. Called customer service 2 times and both times was outsourced to India who didn't understand a word I was saying. Actually both times reps were giving conflicting information and kept saying "umm". They were actually trying to rush me off of the phone so I wouldn't ask the same questions again. I normally do not write review but this experience was horrible. Luckily my mortgage company got the payment in time, but as a result, I will never use Western Union for a transfer again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Western Union is very well known and fairly easy to get to in this part of New York City. I particularly like using the Western Union app on iPhone because there are no lines in which to wait and the entire transaction takes maybe three minutes. If I ever had a problem customer service has been very helpful in getting me a fast refund and the rewards program is pretty generous.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

We purchased with cash a Western Union MO to pay a partial payment on a vacation rental. We accidentally destroyed the MO with other papers. We had the original receipt, and filed an official claim with Western Union who had the gall to charge US money in the amount of $30. We sent in everything the form asked for. A completed claim form, processing fee of $30, and the original receipt. We copied everything we sent to them. We've been waiting and waiting and waiting.

Today we get a letter in the mail from these morons. They are sending our paper work back claiming that they need proof of purchase in the form of the original receipt. Well we sent it to these idiots. What did they do with it??? I'm suspicious that this is a rip off by them to get out of paying. They saw we paid cash as it was on the receipt. So we have not bank statement showing the charge, they stole the original receipt, we did not take a copy of the MO. So they screwed us out of $500. They will be reported to our state division of consumer affairs and the state attorney general.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Aug 2, 2017 I went on my account to transfer money to KIA Motor Finance. Upon submission I was issued an error message C9999 and was told to try again. So 5 minutes later I did try again and that time it was fine. I went on my account to see what I had in the bank and Western Union Sent 2 payments to KIA supposedly. I have called 17 times and gotten the runaround. KIA refunded my money to Western Union and they refunded me $9.99 cents the charge that it is to send the money in the first place. I have filed 2 complaints one with Department of Bank and Finance. The other with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Next my attorney plans to file the lawsuit. I was informed they are responsible for all nsf fees, 10 times the amount taken from my account.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

My wife and I use Western Union every month and have never had a problem since we created an account with them on their website. HOWEVER, recently she tried to use the Western Union APP for iPhone, and when she was about to send the usual amount of money, the app demanded an additional $10 over what we normally pay for the website. Western Union is great if you have family that you support overseas, however, the most affordable way to use their services is directly through their website. Both the App and the Counter fees at Western Union stores charge additional fees for the same amount of money sent than their website.

It is possible that the app might be a third party company who is making an additional buck off of you and Western Union. Aside from that little scandal, I have nothing but great things to say about Western Union and have been using them for over 8 years on a monthly basis. Fast, convenient, safe and affordable way of sending money anywhere in the world.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I use Western Union from time to time to transfer money to my stepchildren in the Philippines, When I came to use it this weekend, transactions to both were declined, with a statement that "TRANSACTION EXCEEDS DEFINED LIMIT (C8618)". When I queried this with their customer service department I was advised that Western Union has introduced new system controls to limit the number of transactions and the amount of money sent to the Philippines. Western Union does this for many reasons to address risks with certain countries.

This was not advised in advance, and trying to find out what the limit is, when I will be able to use my account again is impossible. Their customer support write replies that are meaningless and never address the questions asked. It's clearly a company that does not care for customer satisfaction, I for one will seek alternative means to send money in the future.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I sent money amounting to 2000php last Aug. 04, 2017 because my father ask for my mom's medicines. Next day Aug. 05, 2017 he was about to claim it, but the WU Concepcion branch told him that it doesn't exist so I checked the tracking no. It also shows there that it doesn't exist so I ask for a customer service. They told me to wait until 6pm then they told me that I can get the money next day just wait till 3pm. It was already past 4pm and I keep on messaging their customer service but they don't answer. So I decided to go back in WU UN branch all the way from Taguig. When I got there it was already past 5 but there are still people from the inside so I asked the guard to open the door.

They welcomed me in but then they just gave me another paper. So I thought it was fine. They told me that there was some system issue. As I went back home I called my father and told it’s fine to go back in Concepcion branch. They already fixed it. He went back today Aug. 05, 2017 but still he can't get the money. The employee this time told my father that the money has been already paid. So my father called me telling me everything that happened. I keep messaging their customer service but I can't send the message anymore. I don't know if it’s their nature to deceive people. Never had any problem with any other money transfer co. This is the first time!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I sent money to India. They said it will be delivered on August 2nd. I got an email on July 31st saying money transfer is under review. I was waiting for further instructions. After 3 days, I called and they are saying they need photo ID of the receiver. Then I asked, "did you guys contact the receiver or the sender about it." They said NO. How the hell am I supposed to know they are waiting on something. The email that they sent me didn't even ask me to call them or didn't indicate that any action is required from me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

July, 2017 I sent a WU bill pay to my bank instead of the right biller. After I found my mistake I talked to Western Union and they said they would follow thru. They found my error and said to give them 24 hours. No luck talking to anyone since. I called my bank. They needed information on from WU. Now is Aug 1st 2017 and I haven't received any help. I am out $2400.00 with no help from anyone.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

When sending money, usually a family member is in need. It involves urgency in a stressful situation. We look for a service that will make this transaction comfortable and smooth. We don't want to leave our loved ones in limbo waiting for the help they need. Western Union doesn't care about your needs. They say they provide three ways to wire funds: instore, online and over the phone. I tried all three ways and was still not able to wire money to my son. The machine instore froze up. The computer would not complete registrations and customer service tried to charge me double for using phone service and they were still unable to transfer my funds... From one US state to another. I then went to MoneyGram and was able to send the money without any hassle. Western Union is bunk.

Original review: July 30, 2017

A lady on Toronto Canada, at Wilson and Keele was so rude, she asked in a daft way not only where I work which is usual question for them, also asked me about my husband work, and if he supported me or not, and what exactly I will spent my money for food or apartment. I got really angry and she refused to pay MY MONEY, and also she asked for my debit as a second id. This is unbelievable and she said that I CAN CALL HER MANAGER WHENEVER I WANT THAT SHE WILL SUPPORTED HER! PLEASE DONT GO THERE. This agency is like you are asking for money that is NOT YOURS. THEY HAVE TO KNOW THAT IS NOT A FAVOR!

Original review: July 28, 2017

Normally, I pay online for global money transfers… all has gone smoothly. As I was having some problems with my bank, I decided to physically walk into Kroger and pay for Western Union Money transfer. Well, when my husband went to pick up money he was told something to the effect it had been suspended; due to too many Western Union Money transfers. What the hell. After calling Western Union their only response was some damn nonsense about having to email someone or other and I would not get a damn reply for up to a week. Like I told her; this will not due. It is four in the morning here, and I am not in the mood for this… So, after being on hold a very long time I have been given a new mtcn number to pick up my refunded money. A suggestion was made for me to resend. Like hell, I am not going thru this twice in a day. I will take my happy arse over to Money Gram and send.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I have family and friends in Ghana and I used to send money. Suddenly with no warning my transfer been refused. The reason Scam. I did call their office with no joy. I have started an official complaint by email. They are replying very quickly but no solution yet to reinstall my account after 5 exchange of communication. That is a scandal to be treated that way and how they can call family SCAMMER.

Original review: July 26, 2017

On July 13, 2017 I sent $60 over Haiti. They gave me a MTCN starting with letters: WMO and 7digits. The receiver couldn't receive the money. I went to the store, they called Western Union they put the manager on hold for more than 2hours and kept transferring her to another department. At the End they said money is not available. They will give me (the sender) a call within 5-6 hours.

They never called back. Whenever I call them back now I have agent hanging up on me and others asking me to go to the store again to talk to the manager of the store. But even the manager of the store can't do nothing because they are giving her hell and they are refusing to give me the right MTCN. Very bad experience with them. They keep your money. You'll lose it if you end up with the wrong tracking number. Don't ever go to this place to send money! Ever!

They need to be put out of business because they are just stealing customers money!!!

Original review: July 24, 2017

Wrongful Delay of Funds: The history. July 19, 2017. Transfer ordered online. July 20, 2017. Money paid to Western Union by my bank. July 24, 2017. Western Union reports online that the transfer is "in process" waiting for my bank to release funds. (Incorrect) July 24, 2017. A Western Union online chat agent tells me that the "release date" is July 25, 2017.

So. The WU website is factually incorrect because WU already has my money. I can find no record of a "release date" being disclosed to me during the transaction, particularly one five days after the order. This disturbing policy comes with a recent dangerous policy change. WU now wants my banking username and password to process a transfer immediately. That is access to my checking, savings and investment accounts. Absurd. In the past I could select WU Pay, go to my bank, order funds send to WU, and a few days later the transfer was available. Now the waiting time seems to have been extended. I presume as punishment for (now former) customers not releasing their banking user names and passwords. Absurd.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.
    • App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.
    • Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.
    • NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.
    • Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.
    • Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs