Western Union

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer Services

We purchased with cash a Western Union MO to pay a partial payment on a vacation rental. We accidentally destroyed the MO with other papers. We had the original receipt, and filed an official claim with Western Union who had the gall to charge US money in the amount of $30. We sent in everything the form asked for. A completed claim form, processing fee of $30, and the original receipt. We copied everything we sent to them. We've been waiting and waiting and waiting.

Today we get a letter in the mail from these morons. They are sending our paper work back claiming that they need proof of purchase in the form of the original receipt. Well we sent it to these idiots. What did they do with it??? I'm suspicious that this is a rip off by them to get out of paying. They saw we paid cash as it was on the receipt. So we have not bank statement showing the charge, they stole the original receipt, we did not take a copy of the MO. So they screwed us out of $500. They will be reported to our state division of consumer affairs and the state attorney general.

Aug 2, 2017 I went on my account to transfer money to KIA Motor Finance. Upon submission I was issued an error message C9999 and was told to try again. So 5 minutes later I did try again and that time it was fine. I went on my account to see what I had in the bank and Western Union Sent 2 payments to KIA supposedly. I have called 17 times and gotten the runaround. KIA refunded my money to Western Union and they refunded me $9.99 cents the charge that it is to send the money in the first place. I have filed 2 complaints one with Department of Bank and Finance. The other with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Next my attorney plans to file the lawsuit. I was informed they are responsible for all nsf fees, 10 times the amount taken from my account.

My wife and I use Western Union every month and have never had a problem since we created an account with them on their website. HOWEVER, recently she tried to use the Western Union APP for iPhone, and when she was about to send the usual amount of money, the app demanded an additional $10 over what we normally pay for the website. Western Union is great if you have family that you support overseas, however, the most affordable way to use their services is directly through their website. Both the App and the Counter fees at Western Union stores charge additional fees for the same amount of money sent than their website.

It is possible that the app might be a third party company who is making an additional buck off of you and Western Union. Aside from that little scandal, I have nothing but great things to say about Western Union and have been using them for over 8 years on a monthly basis. Fast, convenient, safe and affordable way of sending money anywhere in the world.

I use Western Union from time to time to transfer money to my stepchildren in the Philippines, When I came to use it this weekend, transactions to both were declined, with a statement that "TRANSACTION EXCEEDS DEFINED LIMIT (C8618)". When I queried this with their customer service department I was advised that Western Union has introduced new system controls to limit the number of transactions and the amount of money sent to the Philippines. Western Union does this for many reasons to address risks with certain countries.

This was not advised in advance, and trying to find out what the limit is, when I will be able to use my account again is impossible. Their customer support write replies that are meaningless and never address the questions asked. It's clearly a company that does not care for customer satisfaction, I for one will seek alternative means to send money in the future.

I sent money amounting to 2000php last Aug. 04, 2017 because my father ask for my mom's medicines. Next day Aug. 05, 2017 he was about to claim it, but the WU Concepcion branch told him that it doesn't exist so I checked the tracking no. It also shows there that it doesn't exist so I ask for a customer service. They told me to wait until 6pm then they told me that I can get the money next day just wait till 3pm. It was already past 4pm and I keep on messaging their customer service but they don't answer. So I decided to go back in WU UN branch all the way from Taguig. When I got there it was already past 5 but there are still people from the inside so I asked the guard to open the door.

They welcomed me in but then they just gave me another paper. So I thought it was fine. They told me that there was some system issue. As I went back home I called my father and told it’s fine to go back in Concepcion branch. They already fixed it. He went back today Aug. 05, 2017 but still he can't get the money. The employee this time told my father that the money has been already paid. So my father called me telling me everything that happened. I keep messaging their customer service but I can't send the message anymore. I don't know if it’s their nature to deceive people. Never had any problem with any other money transfer co. This is the first time!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

I sent money to India. They said it will be delivered on August 2nd. I got an email on July 31st saying money transfer is under review. I was waiting for further instructions. After 3 days, I called and they are saying they need photo ID of the receiver. Then I asked, "did you guys contact the receiver or the sender about it." They said NO. How the hell am I supposed to know they are waiting on something. The email that they sent me didn't even ask me to call them or didn't indicate that any action is required from me.

July, 2017 I sent a WU bill pay to my bank instead of the right biller. After I found my mistake I talked to Western Union and they said they would follow thru. They found my error and said to give them 24 hours. No luck talking to anyone since. I called my bank. They needed information on from WU. Now is Aug 1st 2017 and I haven't received any help. I am out $2400.00 with no help from anyone.

When sending money, usually a family member is in need. It involves urgency in a stressful situation. We look for a service that will make this transaction comfortable and smooth. We don't want to leave our loved ones in limbo waiting for the help they need. Western Union doesn't care about your needs. They say they provide three ways to wire funds: instore, online and over the phone. I tried all three ways and was still not able to wire money to my son. The machine instore froze up. The computer would not complete registrations and customer service tried to charge me double for using phone service and they were still unable to transfer my funds... From one US state to another. I then went to MoneyGram and was able to send the money without any hassle. Western Union is bunk.

A lady on Toronto Canada, at Wilson and Keele was so rude, she asked in a daft way not only where I work which is usual question for them, also asked me about my husband work, and if he supported me or not, and what exactly I will spent my money for food or apartment. I got really angry and she refused to pay MY MONEY, and also she asked for my debit as a second id. This is unbelievable and she said that I CAN CALL HER MANAGER WHENEVER I WANT THAT SHE WILL SUPPORTED HER! PLEASE DONT GO THERE. This agency is like you are asking for money that is NOT YOURS. THEY HAVE TO KNOW THAT IS NOT A FAVOR!

Normally, I pay online for global money transfers… all has gone smoothly. As I was having some problems with my bank, I decided to physically walk into Kroger and pay for Western Union Money transfer. Well, when my husband went to pick up money he was told something to the effect it had been suspended; due to too many Western Union Money transfers. What the hell. After calling Western Union their only response was some damn nonsense about having to email someone or other and I would not get a damn reply for up to a week. Like I told her; this will not due. It is four in the morning here, and I am not in the mood for this… So, after being on hold a very long time I have been given a new mtcn number to pick up my refunded money. A suggestion was made for me to resend. Like hell, I am not going thru this twice in a day. I will take my happy arse over to Money Gram and send.

I have family and friends in Ghana and I used to send money. Suddenly with no warning my transfer been refused. The reason Scam. I did call their office with no joy. I have started an official complaint by email. They are replying very quickly but no solution yet to reinstall my account after 5 exchange of communication. That is a scandal to be treated that way and how they can call family SCAMMER.

On July 13, 2017 I sent $60 over Haiti. They gave me a MTCN starting with letters: WMO and 7digits. The receiver couldn't receive the money. I went to the store, they called Western Union they put the manager on hold for more than 2hours and kept transferring her to another department. At the End they said money is not available. They will give me (the sender) a call within 5-6 hours.

They never called back. Whenever I call them back now I have agent hanging up on me and others asking me to go to the store again to talk to the manager of the store. But even the manager of the store can't do nothing because they are giving her hell and they are refusing to give me the right MTCN. Very bad experience with them. They keep your money. You'll lose it if you end up with the wrong tracking number. Don't ever go to this place to send money! Ever!

They need to be put out of business because they are just stealing customers money!!!

Wrongful Delay of Funds: The history. July 19, 2017. Transfer ordered online. July 20, 2017. Money paid to Western Union by my bank. July 24, 2017. Western Union reports online that the transfer is "in process" waiting for my bank to release funds. (Incorrect) July 24, 2017. A Western Union online chat agent tells me that the "release date" is July 25, 2017.

So. The WU website is factually incorrect because WU already has my money. I can find no record of a "release date" being disclosed to me during the transaction, particularly one five days after the order. This disturbing policy comes with a recent dangerous policy change. WU now wants my banking username and password to process a transfer immediately. That is access to my checking, savings and investment accounts. Absurd. In the past I could select WU Pay, go to my bank, order funds send to WU, and a few days later the transfer was available. Now the waiting time seems to have been extended. I presume as punishment for (now former) customers not releasing their banking user names and passwords. Absurd.

Western Union has no idea how to run a business or website in 2017. They "lost" £105 of my money and offered no refund. If you send money with them, you may just lose it forever. Thankfully there are many new alternatives to WU. I predict this business will be history by 2020.

I have used Western Union several times in the past, and always had a quick and reliable service. About 3 weeks ago I attempted to do a bank to bank transfer $150 (US) to my elderly ill mother to help her pay some bills before she went into hospital for surgery. WU took the funds from my account within 2 working days, and send me confirmation that the money reached my mother.

However, my mother called me in a panic to say the funds weren't there. WU said it might be due to Independence Day in the US (fair enough) and to wait a few more business days. By the time a week had passed and no money was in her account, she called to tell them. They refused to talk to her, but said as the sender I had to make contact.

Fast forward to nearly 3 weeks later after more than 10 phones where I was bounced from department to department, agent to agent, each time with different stories/information and ever increasingly rude staff, they finally admitted they'd messed up and agreed to re-issue me my money. However, they initially weren't going to refund the transaction fee, and only after me shouting down the phone did they finally agree to discount me this and to give me £10 (UK) as compensation. I will never use them again as I'm sure if I didn't follow up they would have happily kept my money, and they didn't care that they made the life of a sick woman very stressful, or that I spent literally hours of my time trying to get back money that was rightfully mine. Avoid like the plague.

I bought two m/o from Safeway where I work and long story short my wallet was left in the cart and someone took it like 20 min. After I bought the m/o, therefore it wasn't signed. Safeway gave me a copy of receipt and gave me the serial numbers of that m/o. I call Western Union and the lady tells me they haven't been cashed so I said, "Well, can you stop payment then?" She says no. You have to have a request form to trace it. Filled out and notarized and it's 30 dollars for each m/o and ten each to be notarized and then I have to give them copies of my receipt plus they want a police report.

Now I believe to get a police report it's ten or more. But it takes 7 days to even get it, also it takes 6-8 weeks to process the request forms. I said well it's going to be cashed by then. WTH is the point of spending all this money that I don't even have just to be told it's already been cashed and I'm ** out of luck. She said, "I'm sorry. Is there anything else I can do for you?" Really? They are collecting so much money it's ridiculous, they need to really change the policy on money orders because there shouldn't be any reason that they can't stop payment or cancel a m/o that has been stolen. SCAMMERS!

This company has become a total disaster. It is unbelievable the amount of hassle you will face when doing business in good faith with them, where they charge you a fee plus make money in currency exchange. I just filed a federal complaint with this company, they need to really be put out of commission. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WESTERN UNION. They only intend to hold your money and fees to deal with it, while the person you send the money to undergoes the worst kind of treatment, unhumaned and embarrassing service. Western Union customer service department has no ideas of law, rights of people, and their properties or monies. PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS, STOP THEIR ABUSE AND WRONG DOING. USE OTHER COMPANY FOR YOUR SERVICES. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE!!

On July 12th money was sent to me and I went to all the locations that were listed and they all told me to come back later which I did. Today will be the 3rd day of trying to get my money, I asked a manager at one of locations "when you take someone's money do you notify them that the receiver may not be able to get the money sent to them?" Not one of them told a customer that the receiver may be unable to get the money. I have a wife and 5 kids that depend on me, just like my employer depends on me to show up for work and be productive.

Western Union is not a dependable business, they list businesses that are supposed to have western union and don't, the businesses that are listed and said to be able to handle and have the money on hand to pay out can't and this bad business and deceptive. I have wasted more than 3 hours a day and today will be the 3rd day trying to get my money. I would be very cautious about using western union to send money, I have learned a valuable lesson and will not be using this company again, all I have gotten is the runaround, so before sending money people don't be afraid of asking questions or taking your business somewhere else, look at all your options, otherwise you will be in my shoes wishing you had used better judgement when trusting a company to do business with, I wished I had.

Let me begin this review by saying both my mother and I have exhausted every single option to try to mediate this issue with Western Union with zero results. On 7/7/2017 my mother sent me $200 via her Western Union money in Minutes app as she has done before and as I have done before I used my registered Western Union NetSpend card to move the money transfer online to my card. It worked and the much needed $200 was added to my account. One minute later the money was then removed from my account and the transaction was voided. Of course I immediately called customer service who argued with me repeatedly that I could not receive a money transfer that way even though I have done it several other times. This customer service rep then stated I only needed to go to a physical Western Union money transfer location to pick up the money.

As I was getting dressed to leave to the store to do so I simply asked her to verify that the MTCN number was still good as it was stating online that it was not valid now as it was loaded to my card then voided. She refused and continued to repeat herself that all I needed to do was go to the store and pick up the money. I then asked to speak to her supervisor and when I did she put me on hold for 35 minutes before I hung up. When I arrived at the Western Union location it was exactly as I feared. The MTCN number was not valid. When I explained to the employee working there what happened she was concerned and called Western Union herself who eventually spoke to me only to say they could not speak to me or give me any information as I was not the sender of the money and the sender would need to file the grievance.

I pointed out to him that the money was transferred to my card and voided by Western Union so that I was in deed a party to this but he would not listen. That was Friday the 7th. Every single day since then both my mother and I have filed written grievances and called to try to get our 200 dollars back with zero results. We have been put on hold for several hours, lied to, hung up on and laughed at. Not only are these two companies thieves they are disrespectful and not knowledgeable of their own products and services.

At one point someone working there told my mom she would have the money refunded to her card in 48 hrs. Well that was a lie!!! Now they are telling us both that the issue has been escalated to a higher level and that it will take up to 14 days to resolve. Now we are not a family of many means and we try to live within them but it is hard to keep our budget in check when Western Union and NetSpend steals 200 plus dollars from us without remorse. Who can stop these people and how can we get our money back!!!

A business to scam you and blame everyone else. Shouldn’t even be a company. All our transactions are confirmed by a minimum wage employee who doesn’t speak or understand English. The only equipment expense basically, headsets, are apl broken for the employees, then they blame my 750$$$ PHONE! They’ll take your money then freeze your acct and hang up on you when trying to get $$$ back. This company needs to be sued!

I tried sending money to my nephew who stays in New York about last week, I got a Western Union office and filled out a form, left the money to be sent and went back to work. I got a call from Western Union later saying they could not continue with the transaction because New York is known to be a crowded community with lots of false transactions going on so I need to come by their office to get a refund, I yelled "TO MY OWN NEPHEW" they are declining the transfer because of the state, area, or community, this is totally wrong, they should not advise consumers wrongly, this should be against their work ethics, such agent should be fined and fired.

I went to Western Union at the address 371 Wellington St, Cash Money, London, ON N6C 4P9 on July 1, 2017 around 4 PM Eastern Time. I spoke to the unhappy agent. Advised I am receiving a wire transfer, she pointed to the other table and asked me in a rough manner, go and fill the form, I filled up the form and submitted to her but she said that the sender name is not matching, then I filled the sender name based on the form pictured and sent to me over WhatsApp from my brother and then I submitted to her.

She asked me "why are you receiving the money?" and I said I need to pay off my bills (credit cards and other expenses) and I am borrowing from my brother overseas, she asked me "do you work?" and I said yes, she asked "do you own a business?" and I said "yes a cleaning business," then she said "I need a copy of your business license", and I said "why, this wire transfer is for my personal use and in my name and not in my business name."

She insisted to see my business license and I tried to find it on my smart phone and I founded and I wanted to show it to her, she said "no I need a copy," I said "It's at home and I can not bring now", she said "go home and bring it." I said to her again "I am receiving this money to my name and not to my business account" but she insisted not to give me my wire transfer until I bring my license. I said "I am not begging from you and I need to receive my money."

I asked her to talk to her manager or supervisor and she said "I can not give you his number as it is a personal number and you can not talk to him," then I asked her for her name and she refused to give me her name and she started telling me "have a good day" asking me to leave. I told her "you are helpless and you do not want to cooperate and you are not treating me in good manner."

From the beginning she was helpless and arrogant to me, she didn't want to help at all. My son was with me and he witnessed the incident and her behaviour and he told me she was not treating us with respect and her eyes were full of rage. I was dissatisfied from her attitude and I wish the management will talk to her to be more decent with customers. I don't know if she was doing that to me or with everyone else. If she is not able to handle customers in good manner then she need to be alerted by the management to take better action in the future to maintain the good reputation for the company she is working for.

Made an online WU transfer through my bank account, only to have it cancelled by WU, with the transfer status showing "REFUNDED", my bank account reveals no money has been refunded so I phoned my bank, they confirmed this. 1st call to WU - I'm transferred 3 times, because after reading them all my information "It isn't their dept." They won't give me any answer as to why the transfer was cancelled, the amount was 140 US dollars from Canada, but I am given a new WU transfer number that I am told to go to a WU outlet and get my refund.

First WU outlet I go to - their machines are down, second one was a Money Mart cheque cashing place, I give them the number - it's not in the system??? The nice lady at Money Mart phones them for me, and she is told I already picked up the money, get this on the other side of Canada just a couple hours ago?? WTF???

2nd call to WU - again transferred 4 times now, and put on hold for 10 minutes, to be transferred higher up the chain again, they tell me the money is in my account - it is not. 40 minutes later - I'm given the number to call my bank. Are these guys serious?? 1st call to my bank - I get the security dept., explain the situation and they 3 way call WU back to get answers, after 15 minutes again on 3 way between me, my bank and WU she asks for my phone number and says she will phone me because she wants to speak only with me, 10 minutes goes by - no phone callback even after she repeated my number back to me.

2nd call to bank security to explain she never called back so they again 3 way call with me and WU, 30 minutes more and I'm told my money will be refunded to my bank account and that I will have to wait 4-5 business days to receive my money??? They took my money in less than 3 seconds, but can't return it for 4-5 days all because they cancelled my transfer with zero explanation, though I was given an email address that I could again ask why it was cancelled after already asking and given the runaround like a dozen times - SOP literally 3 hours of phoning and I end up with that. These people are a joke - I finally explained to them that my calls were being recorded through my smartphone - they probably didn't expect that to happen. Bottom line STAY AWAY - VERY FAR AWAY FROM WESTERN UNION.

Well, my poor experience with Western Union has driven me to take time out of my day to make an account and compose a review. Simply put, Western Union is odd and unpredictable, and that isn't something I want when I'm dealing with my money. I just sent a transfer of $300, and it went through apparently. Then lo and behold, it was cancelled for no reason whatsoever. I had enough money in my account. No reason to cancel on my end.

I NEVER cancelled the transfer. Western Union did, without consulting me and without telling me why. And after reading the reviews, I will not put myself through the misery of their customer service to find out. Furthermore, Western Union hasn't let me sign on in months since I've been in Mexico as an American. Why? No idea. Random error code produced at every attempt. I have to use a VPN to even log in to my own account. So, in conclusion, they're weird and they conceal their intentions. I don't want that when it comes to my personal money. Remitly has a promotion for sending money to Mexico. Just switched over to them for the time being and did my transfer. They seem a little more professional.

There was a time I used Western Union weekly, never again. My friend was trying to send me funds I desperately needed from her location in Seattle to my location in Florida, Western Union would not process the transfer because of fraud alerts? How do they determine this? How can a discerning adult be prevented from transferring money if they choose to? I will never ever use Western Union again.

Once again, I'm going through a nightmare with Western Union. It's unfortunate. I did a wire transfer at 1:20 PM today. The time is now 6:57 PM and Western Union continues to say "it's being processed." They started out by saying then 1-2 hours. I got a manager on the line, was told 15-20 minutes. When I called back, was told another 1 hour, and so on... now they're saying, they have no idea when they'll be able to release the funds because they're having system issues. Why is that my problem? They said they cannot refund me the money. Cannot release the money. So I just have to wait until they are ready to do whatever it they're going to do.

It's beyond frustrating. All of this for a domestic transaction. Imagine if it was international. I paid $160 fee for this transaction. I could have driven and deliver the funds to my family and it would have taken me 4 hours. I asked if they will refund me the fee because I paid for money in minutes (20 minutes) to be exact not 5 hours and certainly not 24 hours. It's the least Western Union could do. Who is looking out for consumers? Certainly NOT Western Union. They're only interested in fulling their pockets, forget about providing the service they're being paid for. This is becoming more and more ridiculous by the minute.

This was my second time using WU services. The first time I sent money to the same recipient it took multiple trips for him to finally get the money. I had to fax copy of his ID to the US Western Union office that he has faxed over from Ethiopia for him to get the funds in Ethiopia. After a long time of avoiding WU, I decided to give WU another try on June 4. I should have waited until the next day and used a different service since he would have received it in time; but too late. I thought since I have sent money to the same receiver in the past, it should be easy time.

I was surprised to hear that after 2 attempts and 5 days later he still hasn't been able to receive the money. I was told today by a WU rep that it was under review and he can now pick it up but maybe he should try a different location. I think this is the worst customer service I have had. I don't think it is appropriate for me to pay $27 for a supposed money transfer service that is slower than mail service. I will never use them again and I would suggest to others using other services. Very disappointed customer.

I sent some money to a friend from Georgia to Illinois. The person wasn't able to pick it up. So, I called to cancel the transaction because the person never picked it up. Western Union DID NOT refund my fee of $12. They basically stole $12 from me with no remorse. God don't like ugly. Karma has no expiration date.

I received terrible service in Western Union. I tried to send money to China 5 days ago. The person in China cannot received money. I called more than 5 times. No one pick up the phone call. I tried to chat online, after that I was transferred and still no one to pick up the phone to listen to my problem. This morning, after 15 minutes of waiting, someone picked up the call and asked me many questions about my receiver. After many questions, they said they need the ID from the receiver in China. Finally, I give up, I just want my money back since there are too many problems with Western Union. After more than 30 minutes of talking on the phone with the representative, they said they need send the receiver's ID and email to translate and ask me to send the ID to them. I told them China is in the different time zone. I have the ID and I don't have email because we use WeChat system.

After about another 20 minutes, I get a manager and she told me they will let me know in two days if I can get my money back or not. My grandfather need the money because he is in nursing center and need the money to care for him. I thought I can send the money to him fast, now it ends up with a mess, the money is not received in China, and I don't know when I can get my money back. Please don't repeat my mistake. Please don't use Western Union, if you do, you will face the same problem like me.

Western Union cancels transactions in the name of fraud prevention when in fact they are the ones committing fraud by stopping the transaction so they can hold the money and invest it. I'm positive that they put transactions on hold in order to invest the money. PayPal did the same thing. They choose a certain amount of people at random and freeze the transaction and give you a bug run around. If they do this to a thousands people at any given day, they can maintain a pool of money that they can invest into currency exchange.

They are not breaking any laws because eventually they will give you the money. But when they do this to thousands of people, it gives them a big pool of money to use for investment. Someone sent me money and when I tried to pick it up they said it was on hold and that I needed to contact the sender and have them go down to the office and answer more questions to make sure it wasn't fraud. Several days later after more ** I called them back and they said that I was the one who was being suspected of fraud and I needed to send them a scan of my ID. So which is it? It's just a big run around designed to hold your money so they can invest it.

Compare Money Transfer and International Money Transfer