1.06/5
Based on 152 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

803 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Made the stupid mistake to send money through the Western Union app. It was supposed to be received within a few minutes. Since I did not have any confirmation about the date and time when got the tracking number I decided to call. This Oriental lady from Singapore, who hardly spoke English, told me that it would take 159 hours for the money to be transferred (???). Never in my life heard something like that!!! I asked her to let me speak to the supervisor, she put me on hold... forever. I called again but this time no one answered. In the meantime the money is "on hold" and my family unable to receive it!!! A few years ago I made the same dumb mistake sending money through WU app. And had the same problem. Now I'm wondering what kind of sinister advantage over on-hold money WU is taking. Obviously they have no intention to resolve the issue since so many people are complaining about the same situation for so long.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Sent 40 bucks to my sister last night for an emergency. First they held the money. Then sent another email releasing it. Then today they told her it would be the 17th before she could get it. They said it stated on my receipt that it would take 4-7 business days but I can provide the receipt they sent that absolutely does not say that anywhere. They’ve already taken it from my bank. This is awful business, I could have sent her a check in less time. All they were willing to do is refund my money saying it could take up to 7 business days.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

This has been the most horrible experience ever and I will never use Western Union again. On Friday August 10 2018 I went to the market to wire money to our workers in Mexico. I have been doing this now for 5 or 6 months. The one worker who I usually wire is leaving and so I put the other girl's name and said, "It's the exact same details as the one for Monica." This was a transfer of less than $300. I was a few feet away when I get a text from Western Union saying, "Your wire is temporarily on hold," and I must call them. So it begins. First call 1 1/2 hours on hold. Call two 25 minutes, call three 25 minutes. I return to the Agent and they call and then they give me a number that is supposed to be directly into the right department. Meantime workers have no money. OK so I call that number and put it on speaker phone. 54 minutes later I am disconnected.

On Saturday August 11, 2018 I call at 9:24 am and put phone on speaker as I do my work. At 11:24 am a live person answers and then tells me it's not his department and he cannot help me but someone will call me back. 4 hours I wait and no call for at 3:30 I return to the agent and they get on the phone to their special number and call at 3:50 pm Saturday... for twenty minutes they hold and then a live person answers and tells them my wire transfer is in review. The agent explains I have been on hold for hours and no one has called and I cannot reach anyone and I want to cancel the wire. They say they cannot as it's in review and transfer the agent to the right review department. That was at 4:10 pm. Agent was now on hold and at 5:15 pm agent was still on hold and I had to leave for an appointment.

It's now Sunday August 12, 2018 and I still have no call and no resolution and NO MONEY REFUNDED. I am so angry and I think that as a society it's time to hold these mega companies accountable. A CLASS ACTION AGAINST WESTERN UNION IS IN ORDER. I am going to speak to a lawyer who is a shark to see if that can happen. In the meantime fingers crossed as tomorrow is DAY 4 that this no account company has held on to my wire transfer and my workers have no money and I am fearful to try to send it again. I am headed to Mexico in a few days and hope that I will get the money before that. They are the worst company ever. I will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I had transferred amount from US to Dubai. It went to hold for reasons God only knows. I tried calling, chatting, mailing customer care. Calls were answered after 3-4 attempts of waiting close to 1hour. They said they will call back but never did. Four mails, never responded. Situation I'm in is they can't cancel the transaction since it's under review and I can't reach to someone who can review my transaction. Hope a government complaint will help.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Western Union has served to be the worst experience in sending money I have ever experience. I have been sending money faithfully to family in Africa every two weeks. However since I sent $200 more than the $500 or less I do send - they collected my money to wire money within mins even charging me extra money to do so $18.00 exactly. After taking the money, I walk out the store location to receive a text saying my transfer is on hold and to call their customer service. I called their customer service and after being on hold for over an hour no one answered. I went back in the store and the WU agent called which was on hold for a long time finally to get through and they tell the agent that the money is on secure hold but their fraud verification system is down and call back in one or two hours.

Upon calling back still unable to reach someone over 5 hours later. Frustrated because the money is taking out of my account. I can't even go to MoneyGram and send because Western Union has taken the money and held it and no one is answering the line to assist me. So I even asked for a refund and they told me that I can't until the fraud department answers the call. I asked for a supervisor because it has now been 8 hours. So now as I am writing this review I am still on hold while a supervisor try and contact this department to either release my money or refund it. The problem is it now midnight in South Africa so my husband won't be able to pick up the money if it does go through until tomorrow.

Yet I have paid for a service to deliver in mins and now I have spent my entire day on the phone waiting to speak to a representative to address the transaction they put on hold. Terrible experience. If they want to place a hold because they would like to screen the reason for sending then they should decline the transaction and make the customer call to get preapproval rather then taking the person's money and then hold it to put them through this sort of trouble. I am very sure this in itself is illegal, where you paid your money for a service to have your money sent within mins and they charge you for such a service but rather does not send it but place it on hold until they approve or disapprove.

Also to not be able to get ahold of anyone for over 8 hours to get your money back or to have the transaction placed off hold is not acceptable and sure it cannot be legal. May a lawyer get ahold of this information and possibly do a class action lawsuit for fraud giving all customers who have been affected by this their money back for the fee they are charged to send in mins and punitive damages that may have resulted from such delay. Because this is fraud, where they have you pay for such service but do not render it but instead hold your money captive for hours, days and for some weeks. The entire day has gone by and Western Union fraud department has not yet answered the call to release my money back or to push forward the transaction.

While I understand being hit with such a lawsuit of $586 Million there is a need to increase security measures but there is a better and more legal way to address this. Maybe have the person do a questionnaire before the transfer to whether it is approved or not, BUT certainly not taking the consumer money and then placing it on hold without a consent prior to do so. Therefore the consumer has paid for a service not rendered and money is tied up in that business, this is illegal and fraud as well. My whole day as gone by and Western Union has my $718.00 and hasn't given me an change to claim, be refunded or transfer. I have filed a claim with the fraud department with my bank but sadly it will take several days to receive a refund.

The supervisor named Aryan operator ID ** at Western Union says it is a different department (Fraud department) which handles all held transactions and they can't be reached. Yet they have charge $18.00 to send the money in minutes and also taken the $700 and put it on a secure hold without a consent. I did this transaction at 9:45 am today 8/10/18 and here after the entire day 8:10 PM still have not reached the department which has my money on hold. The supervisor held on the line for over 2 hours then hung up on me. She informed me that there many having this same trouble.

I carefully read the terms and conditions of the transaction on the back of my receipt but I did not find one thing about Western Union being able to take my money and hold it for over a day. Therefore is also be brought to someone's attention because is a form of fraud to pay for services not rendered upon the agreement. I am not the only one affected by this, there are many others and even found it in the reviews at Consumer Affairs reports rating them one star with several complaints of the same encounter. The supervisor has also confirmed that the call rate was so high concerning such that we won't be successful getting in touch with anyone - that I should wait for a call back which I never receive. May this be forwarded to whoever can investigate such transactions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been using WU service for over 10yrs. Today I went to send money at a WU agent. The transaction was processed, then suddenly it was put on hold (which means they are holding my funds as well). They sent me a text to call & have it resolved. I have called & spoken to 5 different reps who cannot help, but transfer the calls to line, that has put me on hold for the last 4hrs. These are emergency funds, I understand compliance, what I don't understand is why this company has to make it extremely difficult for the issue to be resolved. Get your regular CS do the work, or do an online verification or whatever you need to. After this, I will never use their service. Wave, money-remit all the way.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was wired 250.00 US monies from a family member here in the states. Well I went to go get it from a Local Agent (RITE AID) unused the Western Union phone kiosk to do so. Well on the trip to store was only 7 blocks away so I rode my bike, on the ride there I lost my wallet. I explained to the agent on phone and they said, "No problem. The wire has a security question attached." I was given a code and refused from the store. I called agent explained and was told another code and that I will be okay... Nope the store was rude and disrespectful like I was some criminal or derelict.

I was then kicked out of store for questioning their policy and trying to get this resolved after. Mind you I was being heckled from a employee at Rite Aid low and uncalled for. I needed the funds for a deadline payment and now I can't pay it and I lost my wallet in the mean time. I am in such a worse situation now than before. I am gonna be homeless without a ID no money at all. My key to my storage was also in my wallet. I don't know what I'm gonna do...

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Today, I tried to receive the money transfer from Western Union agent. To my surprise, WU has placed a hold on the transfer without a reason. After trying to reach their customer service for 1 hour, I was told that they have blocked the transfer due to security reasons. This was a shock, because I have never been engaged in any money transfer manipulations or money laundering. What I am thinking now is what the heck! I should try to support black market and illegal money transfers if the “white” market and legitimate money transfers keep falling through. Thank you Western Union for your ugly support and waste of my time. I wish you drown in fraud soon.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I sent a money transfer of $600 to the Netherlands for my son to receive. He went to 6 locations as each one had a different excuse for not releasing the funds. Invalid passport, funds not available because the sender used an App. We both called customer service which was atrocious. Zero help. Said everything was fine on their end and had no explanation. In the end their suggestion was to cancel the transfer and give me a 50% off code for a future transfer. Seriously how is that helpful. This company should be shut down. The service is terrible. The manager I spoke to was utterly useless. So we have given up. Thanks for nothing Western Union. You suck!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I sent some money on 7/25 but when the person went to collect the money, he was told tracking number is not valid. Upon contacting customer service was told the person by that name cannot receive those funds. No reason was given as to why that person has been barred from receiving money. I've since been attempting to get my money refunded. Each time I'm told I'll receive money within 24 to 48 hours, this has happened three times already. Their customer service is the worst. I had the Western Union agent follow up and he's also been given the same runaround - Still no refund.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have been waiting for my refund since 05.24.2017 for two MTOs that were never picked up. I spoke with several employees that would say the same thing... That they can’t find it and my request will be escalated... No one ever calls me back.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I recently tried Western Union online and it is down. If I will go to a store with the Western Union logo, I must pay five (5) times what the Western Union website charges. I called Western Union and was told the web does not work and there are problems world-wide, when using Western Union. I tried on iPhone and got problem. I came home and tried on Desktop. Almost made it through, but last page (confirmation page) generated another error. When I called Western Union contact number they say they have no idea when it will be repaired, but if I will take a screenshot of error code, and fill out a comprehensive error report, they will appreciate it. It will not help with a transaction cost, but the will appreciate the error.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I am extremely unhappy about this canceled money transfer. What is the service where money is claimed to be sent in minutes. Also order details mentioned 30 mins for processing, but after 5 hours order got declined. I just wanted to convey my feelings and would hereby confirm, that I will never use WU again. I will make sure my account is closed completely and would never recommend this service to anyone. I want a confirmation that my credit card has not been charged and all fees are fully refunded.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Took the money 2 times. The 2nd time 2 weeks after transfer. Western Union process the transaction on the 13th of July. Then there was no transaction number when they process the money out of the account again on the 26th and they are impossible to deal with to get that money back. We are going to have to go through other legal avenues. I would never deal with them and they have a one-star rating only because you're forced to give a rating.

Original review: July 27, 2018

After sending them IDs and proof of addresses, they told me it's all fine, and working. Someone on the customer service adviser barely speak English, trying to trick you by giving discount on transfer, I was sending for someone urgent medical treatment. They are total disgrace and rubbish service they offer. Use MoneyGram or competitors.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I run a very legitimate business. I deal with clients around the world and in the United States. I am so over the security excuses of, "If you don't answer these questions exactly as we please we will block your wire". I have outgoing wires blocked for no reason. I had an incoming wire blocked from someone who sent money in the United States for my business and I wasn't allowed to pick it up. I had my ID and my passport. The agent called on all of the occasions of locking me and Western Union has a policy of discrimination they stand by. Fortunately the sender went to one my bank branches and deposited the money. But think of this. A wire service is a public company for people to use. If Western Union can't abide by federal and state laws they should be put out of business. In my opinion and from experience. Western Union as long as I follow the federal laws that is all is a concern in business. Anything else is discrimination.

Original review: July 20, 2018

First off I have been using this company for so many years. Likes ever since I am allowed to send money through them. I always made sure to comply with their limits per day, providing photo IDs and also the confirmation number when picking up any transactions and other requirements they need. As of this week I wasn't able to send money through their app that I have on my phone. In which I would say has been very convenient. Anyway they sent me an email asking me why I am sending money and who am I sending the money to frequently. I did so by filling out the form they sent me on my email. Then I get another email saying I need to call them cause apparently they need more information from me verbally. I called them up right away and they asked me WHY DO YOU SEND SO MUCH MONEY WITHIN A MONTH? AND WHAT'S THE PURPOSE OF ALL THESE TRANSACTIONS?

Mind you these are the questions on the form they sent me which I have already answered. So I told the CS agent, "Look I send money to my mom and family when they need the money. Why does your company care? I am within the limits I send the money when they needed it. Yes it could be over a couple thousands but it's for my family and for their personal use." He asked again the same questions. I told him, "Look I just told you why I send the money and now you asking again?" He then said I need specifics. I said to him show me what internal process you have that requires that. He went around the bush again and asked again. This went on for a couple more times.

By this time I am getting upset cause it seems to me like they are insulting me of why I am sending so much money and why I keep sending it so frequently. I told the agent, "Look my mom needs help, my family needs help and because me and my siblings are able to help we offer our help and yes it is frequent. It is none of Western Union's business to know where and when the money goes after we send the money through them." I am very disappointed and I will be using other means to send money from now on. Western Union you just lost one of your loyal customers due to dumb policies like this. Also the way you approach your customers is completely rude!

And once I told him it's because we were doing renovations and building up a new house all of a sudden it went from him nagging to oh okay no worries you can send through Western Union now. I said to this guy stop trynna get into peoples business and get a ** life! I am sorry but I had to cuss him out. This is just ridiculous. So me saying 'my family needs help with bills, personal use' is just not okay? WTH. He just wanted me to say something else. Now what if I was lying about the renovation and building a new house? What the heck are they gonna do with this info? It's all for nothing. You stop people from using your service because of some dumb questions like this? JUST HORRIBLE. Wasting people's time!!! Western Union you lost a customer today. All because ya'll wanna be in people's business. My advice is chill the ** out and take your money. This was not worth it!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I am forced to give a positive rating of one star where I want to give a negative rating to this ** company. I initiated a transfer of $5000 to send to my family as they have an emergency. WU called to confirm that they received the funds and can process it as soon as they receive my govt. issued ID for verification. I sent the ID in 5 mins and the transaction was declined in 2 mins. I called customer service which is so worst and they said they never received funds. I shouted at them and they then checked and confirmed that they received the funds and they do not know when the money will be refunded to my account. I was on call with them for 3 long hours and when I asked to connect to the manager, they just kept me waiting for 50 more mins and disconnected the call.

I tried to call them again for 3 times and the call was disconnected each time. One of the worst and stupid company who is holding customer's ID proofs putting them at risk. I will sue this company for loss of my money if they do not refund to my account by end of business today. $5000 is not a small amount. WU, stop your cheap tricks now and shut your company.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I send money online today and it says "error" try again then I tried again second time and it did go through and show up the MTCN. I then send that MTCN to the receiver. After a while I then checked my bank account and the Western Union transaction took out twice. I then called Western Union to cancel the transaction that I haven't receive the MTCN and they said both transaction that I made have already been collected by receiver. I honestly thought that receiver wouldn't collect the money without MTCN but Western allow receiver to collect without it. This is so stupid.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am forced to give a 1 star rating which I feel you guys don't deserve at all. My experience with Western Union was physically and mentally exhausting. Their customer service by far the worst ever. BofA sent my husband EDD funds through them. For 3 days we waited for a damn confirmation number. Finally we got it after jump through all these hoops. They charged us $15.00 with no hesitation and with the horrible customer service. Hire people that speak the language that know how to handle all situations. I will never use Western Union or recommended to anyone!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I received a letter from Chase that Western Union took over the Equity Accelerator Program and that I need to call them. This has been a horrible experience. Western Union has the absolute worst customer service I have experienced in a long. Not only do they put me on hold for now 45 minutes with the number provided but if I try to reach them by email. The link on their site does not work. I tried chat twice and although a connection was made, there is glitch with their system and the agent doesn't respond. Whoever is in charge of this company from President on down should not be running a company. If customer service is this bad, they need to find something else to do for a living!! Shareholders need to vote for someone else to run this company.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have been doing business for over five years with very little problem of sending money internationally. Well this suddenly came to a screeching halt exactly a week ago today. I could not send on my smartphone the information that I had successfully done three weeks prior. I was getting an error message of technical error. I went to the local agent and had them bring up my telephone number that had all of my information in their system. The agent showed me the screen and in red letters stated that the sender was prohibited from sending the amount and to call Western Union. After waiting on the line for 20 minutes, I get a person that stated that their security assessment team had declared this transaction as risk for a scam and had refused to send. However, I have sent funds of larger amounts to the same individual. So, I still have been unable to send this small fund for over a week.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Now you need access to a computer and put all your personal info in it before driving to a Western Union who do not take cash anymore without the internet sign up. And you have only hours to get there after you fill in the forms online taking 20 minutes. So do not have a heart attack or get in a car accident or you lose all your money plus fees. This company needs to close and a new one open that treats people like people especially with the high fees we pay to send money... Every week I pay over 12 dollars to send money for the past 30 years and now they do not want my business.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I sent money through the app and when I was going to give the MTCN # to my receiver, that's when I realized that the amount was incorrect, but when I made the transfer everything was okay until I made the payment. I called WU right away to cancelled the money, which I thought would be sent to my account since I paid by Visa debit. To my surprise NO, I should go back to a WU to collect my money.

Lo and behold that's when my challenges STARTED. Not all WU gives out cash payments, some did not even have money to payout. Then when I finally got one for the payout, I needed a Valid ID, which I had but they wanted one with an expiring date on it (What?). Citizen card is not a valid ID. WOW. Then I was told that I will have to wait 2-3 weeks for WU to issue me a check, which I paid cash on the spot, I have to wait 2-3 wks for a check to be mailed out, What kind of Business is WU running to allow someone to wait 3 wks for a check. I am very disappointed with WU to treat customers like this, when they have all the money in the world and I have to wait 3 wks for them to refund my money.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I work with one of the well known financial firms in the USA, and I sent some funds to my brother back in Nigeria. Yes, Nigeria has been tagged as a high risk for wire fraud, but one thing I know is the United States fraud activities (wire fraud or not) is also on the high. But to my surprise, they refused my brother from picking up the funds I sent to him. I called the useless company's (Western Union - Yes, you heard me right "Useless Company") customer service number only to speak to an agent that told me due to some reasons my funds will not be given to my brother.

I gave them all my details for the customer service agent to know that I work in a legit financial organization the whole world knows as a Finance Manager and I do not do fraud but the customer service agent still will not put me through to a superior and will not let my brother pick up the funds I sent. My funds got refunded to my account all because I am send funds to my brother who needs it. The Western Union brand is just useless and the management of this brand is as useless as the brand itself.

Original review: July 5, 2018

If I could give them a zero on this review, I would. I tried to send money through onlinefx.westernunion.com and I had such a bad experience. They were not able to send the money and I got charged for no reason. When I tried to complain, they said "Business decisions, this would be the best for our business." Very frustrated, unsatisfied customer. Overcharged! Never, deal with this company again!

Original review: July 4, 2018

Western Union canceled my money transaction twice (after 1 hr. interrogations) on the phone, with no explanation! WU in the USA is managed by mostly cheap workforce with little to no education. Some of them can barely speak English! Your experience in the USA with this company will depends on your race/ethnicity, money destination and the amount. Sending money (international) to western countries is fine as long as you are American/European. If you want to send money to Africa, Russia, Middle East, Eastern Europe you will be interviewed in which I call it interrogation! MoneyGram is slightly better, but there is a risk of money-loss involved in the system. This review is based on others' experiences I read and my personal experience. We live in a very Sick world!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Started a transfer online and was quoted a fee of $6.50 Transfer Fee. I received a confirmation email that told to finish my transaction the same day. When I went to the store to send the money the fee was raised to $46.50. I called WU and they told me the transfer was initiated three days ago which is not true and I have proof from the email confirmation.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I had the worst experience ever using Western Union. I tried sending money and the receiving party was able to get it so I had to cancel it and it's taken me a week to get my money back to my account. It is bull crap that they can take the money from you right away but they make you wait a week or longer to get it back that and they kept the 6.50 sending fee. I recommend that everyone go to anywhere else to send money because Western Union is terrible.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Absolutely horrendous experience. Got to go abroad, planned to pick up transferred money from the Western Union in Bruges, and the monster inside locked the doors early that day, would not talk to me, and flipped me off! Horrendous service, and horrendous person. I cannot understand how someone decides to close early without notice, and not even speak to many beached travelers, and then act so rudely. Avoid the office in Bruges, Belgium!!!!

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Western Union Company Information

www.westernunion.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business