3.55/5
Based on 2,173 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Western Union

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Western Union Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

I made a transfer from Canada to my bank account in Jamaica. This was my first such transfer. I kept checking on the progress of the transfer and the status remained at "Direct Deposit to be made to Receiver's Bank Account". So after 3 days I contacted the Western Union in Jamaica to find out what was happening. Needless to say, I was peeved as I could not get any information because after speaking to the first agent, I was placed on either a hold with no sound to let me know I was holding or transferred to a number that rang endlessly while my phone minutes kept on going - running up my bill.

I contacted the Canadian agent today and to my dismay he told me I have to speak with a Jamaican agent (I almost cried). But God would have it going my way when I got a hold of Nyoka ** a Customer Service Specialist in Jamaica. She took control and in no time I understood what was happening and she got the matter resolved. She emailed me relevant documents and her response time to my queries via email was exemplary. I am keeping her contact in my email because I know I will be doing further business with Western Union and my experience with her will drive me to reach out to her once again. THANKS NYOKA. YOU HAVE REDEEMED WESTERN UNION.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Quick and Easy. Cost to get a Money Order from my local Meijer is less than $1.00. I send to family and they can cash or deposit even at their local bank branch, not just Meijer (major superstore here in Michigan).

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was scammed. Western Union gave full refund. Very happy. I was scammed through MONEYGRAM. They hung up on me and ignored the problem. WORSE service ever. They don't care. I cannot say enough about Western Union and their GREAT service. Thank you. Very appreciative. Amazing company.♥️

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Hello All! I am staying in Vietnam and already sick of so much ** here then had WU agents in Tay Ninh Vietnam add poop to my frustration. Went to lots of bank brands carrying the WU agent signboards to receive my money sent on behalf of me by family. MB Bank teller issued the wrong cash figure which was lesser than amount I supposed to receive so I refused to take the amount, of course anyone would've done the same. Wasted over an hour to receive call from the same teller saying she agree to issue me the correct amount (WTF!! Of course she should issue correct amount as that's my money). After I sought help from WU Singapore hotline. Added foulplay by not providing the money issuance slip when I took my money and left.

On many occasions I went to banks such as Sacombank, Vietcombank, DongA Bank, Maritime Bank, VPBank, Techcombank, Eximbank, VIBBank, Lienvietpostbank, Agribank, ACB Bank, ABBank to get my remitted money, they had THREE common problems - ONE: They don't speak English or refused to. TWO: They take their own pace and created obvious delay on issuing of my money costing 10 minutes to even more than 1 hour!!! THREE: The local tellers actually serve customer who had the queue ticket after me first. WTF???

The latest incident I went to VPBank on Tay Ninh province, the teller who served me previously was using my WU money remittance receiving time to train new teller! Took them freakin 35 minutes to issue the cash. The 1st time I recalled it took 15 minutes which was already slow as normal remittance sending & receiving process should not take more than 5 minutes. WU had their theme up and that's "money in minutes." So 5 minutes should be the norm though 10 minutes is considered acceptable depending on circumstances.

So then I realized after I made a feedback online about the bad service VPBank teller served as a WU agent, that WU hotline operator was helping me in favor and in opinion of the agent, VPBank to issue me my money in 15 minutes? Following this, I called WU Singapore hotline to express my needs on resolving unnecessary trouble the Vnmese bank tellers gave me continuously. He asked for my contact email and sent me a reply regards to my feedback. It went like this.. "We have investigated bla bla and we believe bla bla black sheep we and VPBank teller did not fail to serve you properly. And according to the bank they were not able to issue the money as you were busy blablubla on the phone." I read it and said to myself if I hadn't called WU to rush the teller, I coulda ended up waiting longer.

I tried emailed back to this customer support person called Virginia ** to reason with her considering I would still be using WU remittance service. I said I got proof and grounds to report the culprit who was their agent. And all she could say was she investigated?? On what grounds had she investigated on and with what proof could she use to investigate???? I was the true living witness to these reoccurring incidents and poop service given by lousy bank tellers. Instead I get blamed for my lost time and my money delayed. She claimed she found out from VPBank that I was busy on the phone and couldn't sign the release form or something so that's why the bank teller couldn't issue the money. That is a big stupid lie by the teller and the bank, whole bunch of them are liars. And I noticed they served other customers whom were locals quicker than I expected. Why snailin slow on me? It's not fair just because I am foreigner.

She concluded that she would not uphold my complaint meaning also that she was unwilling to settle the problem or ask for explanation of the agent bank nor suggest a resolution for my case. All of she said was words in favor of the agent bank and against the customer. What in the world is this kind of service good for? Please everyone counter share with me!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I used Western Union money transfer for the third time. The first time the transfer was fast. 2 business days. The next time is when my problems started. The transfer said 0 to 6 business days, it took 8 days. I was told the transfer was delayed and hence it took 8 days. I was hoping the problem was a one time thing so I tried again. This time again it said transfer would be 0 to 6 business days. That day was on my transition and stated November 8th. Today is November 8th. The money hasn't arrived. The support agent told me it would be 0 to 7 business days and it would by in the account on Monday.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

I make a transfer through online service to my brother. This is the third time I make transfer but the transfer is delay. I spoke to your customer service. They told me the send the id of your brother and spoke to me after one hour. I do that. She told, "It is ok. Tell your brother to go and receive the money." He went again for second time and receive nothing again for second time. I have sent email again. They told me that, "sorry there are delay in translation (they are delaying and postponing even though that I explained to them through conversation and email this money is important because it's installment and I will pay interest). But they are careless. Now this morning continue in their lies and told me that money refund without my permission?!!! Please first I want to transfer money ASAP. Second i will pay the installment with interest after I pay I will send the receipt for interest to ask you to pay it back to me because all of due to your liar staff problem.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

It is a disgust I have sent it via WU. It is been 6 full Business days now and the Western Union Mobile App. All they say is, "We're verifying the details of the money transfer as a part of our standard process" and No action was taken until today after I contacted for the status of my transfer, I am not sure how long would it take for anyone to process the verification. All I can say is they were lazy enough in verifying the identification. I have no idea how long it will take to process the $6K payment. Honestly, they kept me on hold for 45 mins on the call when contacted customer Service to connect to a manager. If I would have had a chance to give 0 stars, please do that. #IHateWesternUnion, #DoNotTransferUsingWU

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Last evening I sent money to my father-in-law for him and my mother-in-law to go to the doctor today. I have sent through Western Union several times before and have set up my account to receive an alert when the money has been picked up. My husband called me today and said my father in law tried to pick up the money but they told him it was unavailable. I immediately called Western Union and asked why he was unable to pick up the money and was told the money had been picked up already. I asked the company why I did not receive the alert like I always have in the past. They could not explain and said it was a computer malfunction.

The company then asked me if I knew the individual that I sent to and what the money was doing to be used for. They told me they would start an investigation into the disappearing money and it would take 21 days. My in-laws need this money today to be able to go to the doctor and get their prescriptions and cannot wait 21 days. Wonder if it was ALSO a computer malfunction that showed the money was already picked up. It is just very frustrating!!! And fishy to me. Weird that I did not get my usual alert of the money being picked up like I have gotten and my husband has gotten every time in the past. Will not use them again because I have a feeling we will be out 207.00 and my in-laws will not get to see the doctor today or get their prescriptions that they desperately need.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

The first time I sent 500 dollars to my friend right he was in trouble so I sent the money only to have it refunded because of his name which is ** but he's american. Sent 1000 to my family and the same thing happened. I'm so confused. I own a business. Why can't I send money to them while I'm away. What's the problem... I asked to talk to a manager but he said the same thing talking about verification when I supplied him with all the details. But that's ok. Not ever doing business with them. Companies like Cash App will run them through the ground.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

My tenant sends money orders through the mail to pay his rent. Never received via mail. Found out money orders were cashed. Customer service is horrible to deal with. Must pay for a copy of cashed item. Then pay again. Not helpful at all. Process will take probably 90 plus days and may not even be covered. People who can't afford to pay and wait for this service would be out of luck. They are exploiting people who need help. Don't patronize. Should provide better services or not be allowed to provide service.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs