2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5
Based on 2,527 ratings submitted in the last year

Western Union Reviews

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Was having trouble but got Josh & he resolved my issue be fine. Josh from customer service helped my son have a great Christmas, how do you Express thanks for that? If I owned a financial institution, I would want to clone employees like Josh. Hands down, no joke, Thank you Josh.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I made a transfer from Canada to my bank account in Jamaica. This was my first such transfer. I kept checking on the progress of the transfer and the status remained at "Direct Deposit to be made to Receiver's Bank Account". So after 3 days I contacted the Western Union in Jamaica to find out what was happening. Needless to say, I was peeved as I could not get any information because after speaking to the first agent, I was placed on either a hold with no sound to let me know I was holding or transferred to a number that rang endlessly while my phone minutes kept on going - running up my bill.

I contacted the Canadian agent today and to my dismay he told me I have to speak with a Jamaican agent (I almost cried). But God would have it going my way when I got a hold of Nyoka ** a Customer Service Specialist in Jamaica. She took control and in no time I understood what was happening and she got the matter resolved. She emailed me relevant documents and her response time to my queries via email was exemplary. I am keeping her contact in my email because I know I will be doing further business with Western Union and my experience with her will drive me to reach out to her once again. THANKS NYOKA. YOU HAVE REDEEMED WESTERN UNION.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Quick and Easy. Cost to get a Money Order from my local Meijer is less than $1.00. I send to family and they can cash or deposit even at their local bank branch, not just Meijer (major superstore here in Michigan).

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was scammed. Western Union gave full refund. Very happy. I was scammed through MONEYGRAM. They hung up on me and ignored the problem. WORSE service ever. They don't care. I cannot say enough about Western Union and their GREAT service. Thank you. Very appreciative. Amazing company.♥️

Original review: April 1, 2020

During COVID-19, we saw that Western Union (WU) had an on-line money transfer service, so I registered to send some money to my niece in the Philippines. After completing the registration, I sent USD500 with my debit card. Cost of transfer from debit USD7.00. A competitive price. When I clicked SEND, WU's website populated the tracking document, which has the tracking number, and delivery date. The delivery date was 7 days from the date I hit the SEND tile. Another notification popped up on the screen saying that the sender was not yet verified (although WU had tested by debit card, and my bank had approved them). The WU pop-up said it could take up to 30 minutes before I (the sender) could be verified.

3 hours later I received a call from WU's 800-325-6000 number. Someone, I could barely hear, said she was from WU and needed to verify me. She started asking me very strange questions. The full name of the recipient, my niece, which immediately annoyed me (her full name was submitted to them on my request), and then the WU rep asked "Why are you sending money to her?". I was further annoyed, because that has nothing to do with my identification. Then the WU asked what my relationship to my daughter (WU apparently used a fly-by-night people finder service that lists a person's relatives) was and what her (my daughter) present age is. I told the WU rep that I would contact WU online, and hung up.

As soon as I hung up, I received an email saying my money transfer had been completed, and subsequently my niece received the remittance without any further negative experience. There are much better ways to treat people than the way WU was attempting to verify my credentials. I strongly felt that their questions were irrelevant and the implications, totally inappropriate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: March 29, 2020

I was trying to send money to family members for an emergency. I have used WU onlone for years with mixed results. I go on line and try to send money. On the confirmation page I get an error saying my payment method did not work...not was declined, but "did not work" and to make the transfer at a WU location. I am in Thailand and they are closed. I called the bank, no problems with the card or balance. I tried 2 phone, 2 laptops, 2 different browsers and even a VPN. I call WU and spoke with a Indian lady that told me I should try another device. I told her everything I did and needed to see if she could help me send the money over phone. She said only if I was in the US sending to the US. She said she did not what was wrong and I should go to a local WU shop. I explained they are closed. She said to wait and try again later....that's it...try later. Two days now and no help or answers.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Western Union staff in Panganiban Branch in Naga City, Camarines Sur, Philippines is using her smartphone while customers are waiting. Second, their staff are not familiar enough in Western Union products. Third, they are rude.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Horrible experience with Western Union. I was able to make my first transfer to India. After the first transfer, I am not able to perform any more transfers. All transfers denied at the review page. Called support, sent mails. Every time they say they have escalated and I will get a response. But nothing yet. I am still sending follow up mails. I believe WU has an unnecessary hype. There are other providers whose customer support is far better. Since WU was having issues, I tried Remitly, Instagram. Apart from WU you have many other good providers. Not sure why people say WU is better. I dont see a single reason. Pathetic and slow service. 1 star is also more.

Original review: March 17, 2020

First time I used Western Union. I can't believe this, my fiance was told he needs another account number or something to pick up the money and was declined! I called them to try and change the first name so someone else can pick it up, 1st guy was super nice and 2nd time I call when it didn't work the representative tells me the money has been picked up and I tell him no, he says he will call back. I wait for 30 minutes. No callback! So I called them back. The last person doesn't understand that I wanna change the first name and I ask her why my fiance can't pick up the money! She keeps saying things I don't understand and no listening at all! Finally I tell her that this is my 3rd call. No one is helping me. She just says ok cause she doesn't understand! So I cancel the order. Now she says the money will come back in 5 to 7 business days!! Great! I am never using you guys ever again! Such a hassle to get your own damn money!!

Original review: March 17, 2020

Western Union is the worst company to work with. Their people cant speak English, Spanish, Italian. Their training of workers is so bad and their system so impossible to use. They make lots of mistake and must pay their Indian South American workers 50 cent an hour. They waste your time and hang up on you, this company was better off when they had stage coaches.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team