3.02/5

973 Western Union Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

Quick and Easy. Cost to get a Money Order from my local Meijer is less than $1.00. I send to family and they can cash or deposit even at their local bank branch, not just Meijer (major superstore here in Michigan).

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was scammed. Western Union gave full refund. Very happy. I was scammed through MONEYGRAM. They hung up on me and ignored the problem. WORSE service ever. They don't care. I cannot say enough about Western Union and their GREAT service. Thank you. Very appreciative. Amazing company.♥️

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I started using WU recently and it's an awesome experience for me. All the transactions that I made so far are like a cake walk for me. There is no delay in a single transaction and it offers great rates. I really appreciate WU services. It has no dynamic rates but I can compare rates with other services and wait for a day to see higher rates in WU. I'm definitely going to continue using WU!

Original review: June 15, 2019

I went to Walgreens (10 AM 6/15/2019) to send my son money. Paid $22 dollars for same day service. Showed my drivers license and filled out the paperwork. A couple of hours later, my son called and stated that the money was on hold. ???? I was approximately 50 miles away shopping and called WU to resolve the issue. Was not allowed to talk on the speaker phone as I am hearing impaired (which I informed the manager). They said I had to call from my home phone or go back to the WU where I sent the money from to verify I am sending it????

I called Walgreens to have the saleslady (a friend) call and verify I was sending the money - no good I had to be there in person. She suggested that I find a WU Office near me - found a Bank offering WU services. The WU Representative called in an effort to get the money off hold. WU told the representative that I had to go back to my original office and hung up.

So at approximately 3 PM (5 Hours Later) I drove home just to make a 3 minute call at 4. During the call WU wanted to know the purpose of me sending the money. I told them that is was none of their business but was forced to give an answer in order to proceed. I was forced to drive over 50 miles just to make a 3 minute call. There was no consideration of circumstances. I am 71 years old handicapped Vet and do not need someone telling me it's for my own good. They would not honor one of their own branch representatives to verify that I was who I said I was - I provided the correct receipt and a valid drivers license.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I am Olusola **. I sent money to my father, which is the excess money being sent to me as part of my school fees. The name of the receiver is Oyewole **. The money was sent 06/17/11 at 2;54 pm local time. Agent Name - NS Cashpoint Sunway CP2 05 Level CP2 Blue Atrium Sunway Pyramid shopping mall, Petaling ** and the operator ID is **. I sent 7,700 Malaysia Ringgit, which is equivalent to 359,199.50 Nigerian Naira.

When my father went to Western Union office yesterday to pick the money, he was told at the Outlet that the money has being paid out earlier to another person. The manager of the outlet said an unauthorized person might have gone on fake ID to pick the money up. So my father who is the receiver was not able to get the funds I sent with Western Union service. How could this happen when I specified that the money should be received with a valid ID.

The mtcn is **. I called Western Union Malaysia Customer Care Line at 1-800-813-399 and they told me they will send a mail, but I have not got a response. Please I want to know the bank and the operator in Nigeria where the money was picked up and the ID used to received the money. Also, how will Western Union get my money back to me or do I need to get a Lawyer? Please get back to me soon to know the next step to take to get back my money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was told by Jason twice I could receive copies of my transactions expedited in 12 to 24 hours via email. Called 3 times and finally they said they don’t expedite. Have to wait 21 days. I told them this material needed for legal matters. Representatives spoke like machines and didn’t give a darn. ** Sad a company like yours treat customers like this.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I had problems to register myself online with WU. I was asked by Online App, if I don’t have NZ Driver’s License please contact Customer Care. Upon contacting them, I was told to do first transaction at WU over the counter and get MTCN number to get myself registered online. I took proof my identity and my proof of address and did the transaction.

Later, to register myself online when I called customer service again with my MTCN number, they said they can’t register me without NZ Driver’s License or NZ Passport or NZ Birth Certificate. I requested to provide me with an alternative solution and they said just keep using the 10km away WU branch because we can’t register you for online service without the above documents... So basically to register myself with WU’s Online Service, I need to first either spend $100 to get Driver’s License or I should reborn in NZ or wait until I receive this NZ’s passport (i.e. 5 years).... Lol Really??? What a joke! Extremely disappointing.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I am expecting to receive a small sum of money via Western Union. it was online transferred to me 8th June 2019, is said in the receipt that I had to wait 1-2 days for the money to be available. So comes to today 10th June I tried calling WU and enquire about this, they only tell me "it is in progress, please get the sender to call WU". I asked them "call you guys for what" and the answer given was, "we will need to talk to the sender". What is so difficult for WU to just give them damn money to the recipient?? Is not millions of dollars. Reason we use you guys because we assume you have good service and is quick and fast.

And your customer service sucks. Where did you hire those people from, what kind of help they are giving to customers? And English?? I can't even understand the accent. Now I have to trouble the sender to make a call to WU, and I wonder what else they need to verify. My mother's name? Or perhaps my descendant bloodline?? Is such a small amount and yet WU makes it into a big issue.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Western Union took my money that was to be send to my supplier in China. After about 1 to 2 days they hold my money was causes my supplier to be denied. They said they needed more info about the transaction. I registered the transfer from their apps and question was asked from the apps. And furthermore they should see my past record of sending money over to China. So why are they stopping me and asking me same question which was asked in the apps. And this lady on the line told me she can't see the question that was placed to me on the apps. Shouldn't they able to see from their own website on what's going on in the apps answered by their customer when registering? What kind of company is this? They got no link to their apps and they can't even see the customer past records?

And if they want to reject me they should reject me when I'm registering it through the apps and not until after I registered, went down to their branch to transfer the money, and after money roll in their accounts for 1 to 2 days then they tell me they are holding my money and even now telling me they reject my transfer and want me to run another trip back to their branch to get my refund. What kind of service is that? They should really wake up!!

Original review: June 8, 2019

The limitations on the amount and times you can send money are in my opinion a horrible abuse of an individual's freedom to do what they want with their cash. It seems like today's world is so freaking paranoid of criminal activity that they severely limit the ability of a law abiding citizen to send any amount of money to someone of their choosing. I will never use the service again as there are other more convenient methods available to me. This company is a dinosaur and should go the way of the dinosaurs. Good riddance.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I find it inconvenient, ridiculous and deplorable that Western Union makes it so hard to replace a money order they can clearly see has not been cashed. I've spoken with 3 different people who told me they should be able to put a stop payment on the existing orders, release the funds back in the system, and I should be able to reprint from any location. Instead you all tack on a $15 fee for a few clicks of a button. So, money orders I've already paid for that HAVE NOT BEEN CASHED will cost $30 to reprint!? It's asinine.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I read the complains in here and mine is 90 the same. They blocked me without any reason and their customer service is a **, there is nobody there to help you and until now. I had a very good impression of Western Union but now I know that it's nothing, it's just piece of **. Before they were cool. Now, a big disaster. They should be really closed from the government. It seems they don't need customers. They are so rude, asking very private questions like FBI or CIA or police is asking. People should even sue them in tribunal. I am very very disappointed from them. You don't have any place or any responsible on where to complain or explain your case. You have been there blocked just because they want to block you and that's no fair. And then you need a lots of stupid proofs and beg them to unblock you. That's really so stupid. I hope one day this company will be closed worldwide. Best regards, Altin **

Original review: June 2, 2019

My husband sent me money today but I can't pick it up from the 2 agent locations I went to regularly, saying there's an error on my name. It's in auto on his phone acct and sent it as he always have done and suddenly, there's this problem. The error code given by the agent does not even exist in WU website. And when you call Support, an Indian operator who could hardly speak proper English will speak to you and will give you the same info you will see on online tracking that "money is available for pick up" but they can not see the error and can not do anything to solve the problem. Useless!!

Original review: June 1, 2019

I just called customer service line to confirm a transfer my husband made to one of his friends. I called on his behalf with him present. I was notified by the operator that my husband had to be the communicator. I explained that his English wasn’t great which is why I had called. I then handed the phone to my husband and placed it on speaker so that I could translate anything for him that he did not understand. He was then asked to remove speaker phone. I could hear the operator speaking so loudly through the phone demanding my husband to remove speaker phone when it had already been done when he first asked.

He asked why my husband had sent the money. Quite frankly I have never ever been asked why I sent money through any service. My husband asked for him to communicate with his wife on his behalf and he was refused. He asked if not that for a translator and that wasn’t available. My husband ended up simply asking for his money back because he could not understand the operator who was speaking too fast. This is very poor service!

Original review: June 1, 2019

They don't speak English and they put you on hold too long. They make up excuses in denying you sending money. They need to be closed down. Useless no help. They will not listen to the customers. First two times they allow you to send money and from then on they turn into your worse enemy. They need to be furwf and closed down.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I initiated a transfer on the 23rd, then canceled the 24th because my recover couldn’t get the money. A transaction didn’t hit my bank until the 26th after my request to cancel was processed. Called to see the “progress” on my cancellation request and have been on hold on the phone for 48 mins and still holding. Previous 3 customer service representatives were giving me the run around saying my bank needs to approve the authorization or my request was at the processing center or they have to check the authenticity of the request.

FIRST OFF, why are you processing my charge AFTER my cancellation and SECOND I just got off the phone with my bank and they didn’t see any request or authorization. Next the representative said she’ll file an expedite request for an authorization code, what’s so hard about just refunding the money that you weren’t supposed to take out in the first place. I’m just trying to “help a love one.” Now I’m screwed $400. Thanks Western Union.

Original review: May 26, 2019

Western Union is a horrible service. Every time I try to pick up money that clearly says on the receipt my name and my location they always have an issue. I end up never receiving the money and they end up sending back the money to the sender. If you want your time wasted by all means go with them. If you want the hassle and the stuff that you go through with a customer service. They don’t even help you out. All they can say is That they can’t do anything about it when all the information on the receipt has my name and my location clearly labeled!!! They decide to deny the pickup transactions all the time and send them back to the sender. I will never ever ever!! Use this service again. There is so much better apps out there that don’t require this much drama to pick up money not even worth 100 dollars! Go to Walmart cash service instead or Cash App or like PayPal. So much more convenient! Forget Western Union!

Original review: May 24, 2019

I have sent money to a friend in Ghana when he needed my help as he has done the same for me. Today May 23rd, I tried to send him some money via Western Union and it was denied. When I called I was told it was because it was flagged as fraudulent even though I verified all the questions they asked me. I figure, if it fraud and I'm aware of this then it's my business if I want to send the money or not. Was told the money would be in my account in 3 to 5 business days.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I have been sending money with Western Union for yearsss! Via online AND in person, which means ALL and EVERY piece of information they need from me I’m SURE is in their system. Now out of the clear blue sky my account is “locked” because I need to provide additional information. (via EMAIL NOT VIA PHONE so that they process it quicker, because some people are send money for EMERGENCY PURPOSES!!!) Such as my name, DOB, and phone number. FOR WHAT???! IT’S IN YOUR SYSTEM!!! Now however if you want to verify it’s ME sending the money... ASK PROBING QUESTIONS!! Oh and let me add how when you call customer service for assistance and press ONE FOR ENGLISH... no one who speaks fluent ENGLISH answers the phone!!!

Original review: May 23, 2019

Today May 23 2019, and yesterday I sent 2000 USD from Indonesia to Malaysia with 3 MCTN, can't receive by my friend. Don't do Western Union from Indonesia to overseas. It's lookly fraud company. And the customer service is very bad attention.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I sent money; via online, to my sister in Jamaica, and after 4 attempts and hours of standing in line, she couldn't get the money from them, so I cancelled the transaction and waited my refund so that I could try using another service to send her money. The refund was supposed to hit my account in 7 business days. That was two weeks ago. I sent emails that went unanswered. Tried to get a human on the phone but to no avail. I even sent a message on Twitter that went unanswered and finally I got someone on chat only to be told that they attempted to refund the money to my bank but my bank rejected it. Ha! My bank doesn't even have them attempting the refund. And if my bank rejected it why did no one from Western Union contact me? All my info is listed within my profile.

So today the only help that I could get was for them to tell me that I can go into a store (and mind you they changed the MTC number) with the new MTC number and my ID and I can get my money back. If it was convenient for me to go into a store I would have done that in the first place. It's like they are floating money or hope that you won't claim it or try to get your refund back. And let's not talk about trying to get cash from them in Cuba, that is laughable. If you are a US citizen they won't even honor your Western Union transaction. This criminal organization needs an overhaul. I can't even begin to guess how many people they are taking advantage of. I try to only use Western Union when I have no other options and they still screwed me.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I tried to send money to my son that lives out of state and the representative made me feel like a criminal. She was rude, asked so many questions! I answered all the questions correctly and she would get even more hostile. She made me cry. I told her that I had a stroke many years ago and I just wanted to send money to my son. She wanted to know why, I said he is my child and for food. She said why again. She asked who paid my bills, who my phone was with and so many questions. After being abused like this I was denied. I just cried, my son is stayed away. I cannot get in the car and get there in one day. Shame on you Western Union! This company should be shut down!!

Original review: May 18, 2019

WU cancelled my transfer to Nigeria. I have sent money transfers via WU several times to many places in the world, especially to friends and family in African countries. I have never had a problem until recently. I tried to send money to my fiancé so that some serious business of ours could be handled and WU decided to hold the transfer and interrogate me like a child. I was asked personal questions which didn’t make sense to me, because this is a business transaction. Why do I need to tell you my personal business?

I verified who I was and that I personally knew the receiver. Then I was told that my transfer was being cancelled due to possible fraud and my money would be refunded. I spoke to a supervisor and emailed their complaint department all to get the same generic answer that they “have to follow strict guidelines.” What guidelines? No one could ever tell me what guidelines were being followed and why I was not able to send money to my fiancé. I have never been so disrespected in my life. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 15, 2019

This past April, my friend was injured during the Philippines earthquake and I needed to send him money to cover his examination and later his surgery. Things went well for the first two transfers but, when it came to sending the final half of the money needed to cover the surgery, W.U. put the transfer on hold and told me to call them.

I called them and they claimed that they put the money on hold for 'suspicion' that I was funding a scam. After I explained that the money was needed to pay for my friend's medical treatment, the representative simply told me that the money would be refunded to my account and gave me a new tracking number. Somewhat dumbfounded by the situation, I asked him if I would then be able to forward the money to the friend in the Philippines to which he replies by saying, "You can send money to friends and family almost anywhere with Western Union. Have a nice day," and hung up on me.

Not thinking much of it, I went back into my local Western Union and received the refunded money. The person at the desk told me to give it a day or two before trying to send the money again (which I did) but, when I returned to send the money, the transfer was denied and pulled up an error message. When I tried sending the money a second time, it failed again. And then I tried sending it in a smaller amount to see if that would change it (it didn't). Then I tried sending the money to my friend's roommate thinking that would probably fix it. That also didn't work. It was then that I realized that the representative I spoke to was not only trying to get off the phone but, didn't even resolve my issue. Instead, I can't send money anywhere in the Philippines.

What followed next was an unnecessarily long ordeal in which I struggled to get a hold of Western Union to lift the block from my account (a Wednesday to the Wednesday of the next week). I first tried sending an email to Western Union about the situation only to receive an automated response asking for my Western Union information. Upon filling out the form, I was automatically replied to with ANOTHER email with the exact same form to fill out. It was then that I realized that their email system was completely automated.

Skip ahead a day, I tried reaching out to WU's online chat customer support and they claimed that I needed to speak with another department entirely because they couldn't resolve the issue. They gave me an email to contact and that turned out to be the exact address I emailed the day prior. Not wanting to give flak to a person that was just doing their job, I thanked them for attempting to help me and then tried calling up Western Union again.

When I finally got ahold of them, I provided them with the tracking number of the transfer that was refunded and they thought I needed a refund to which I then explained that I had received the refund but, couldn't send money to anyone. He then provided me with that same email from before to which I explained that I already contacted the email. What made this different was that this rep gave me a new phone number entirely to call to which I thanked him; thinking I was finally making some progress. Lo and behold, when I called that number he provided, I discovered it was nothing but an answering machine that only gave the option to record a voicemail for someone to listen to later! You can't make this stuff up! So now Western Union has 2 emails from me and a voicemail.

Skip ahead to Tuesday (yesterday at the time of this post), my friend missed his surgery and had to reschedule it because he was short by HALF the amount of money he needed. I got fed up of waiting and asked my best friend to send the money for me. I asked him if he could use his Western Union to send the money to ANOTHER friend of my friend in the Philippines because at this point, we had all come to the conclusion that it would be for the best to just send the money to a different account (belonging to my friend's roommate) on the off chance that even sending money to that original person's account would get other accounts locked.

Skip ahead to today. I received an email back from Western Union to reinstatement my account and all I need to do is fill out a form. Thinking the worst was finally over, I called my best friend and told him I didn't need him to send the money anymore because I finally got a reinstatement form. Checking the form, it claimed to have dropdown tabs that I needed to use to select answers for questions. The only problem with this is...THERE ARE NO DROPDOWN OPTIONS ON WORD DOCUMENTS! It's impossible to complete the form!

I then called up my best friend (the one that will be sending money in behalf of me) and told him that I still needed him to send the money on my behalf and I'm about to head out right now so I can hand him the money that the same Western Union clerk has held multiple times over the course of 6 days so he can finally send it to my friend who at this current moment STILL needs the remainder of the money to pay for his surgery. I hate Western Union and I'm never using them again after today.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Issues: 1. There is no communication between Western Union USA and Western Union Ecuador; 2. Western Union Ecuador customer help center does not communicate in English despite Western Union USA insisting that it does 3. I have to go back to the place I sent money (Quito) in order to change recipient details (I am traveling and currently in Guayaquil). What I want: 1. I want to know precisely at which location where my friend’s family can collect her money 2. I want to change the recipients name.

The story: I sent money to a friend thinking that I was depositing money into her bank account but instead it was a physical transfer of money. (This is the first time I am using WU, so it’s a combination of misunderstanding its range of services and a lack of understanding Spanish). The money was sent from WU Colon in Quito to WU in Arizona. Unfortunately my friend (who has an Arizona bank account) currently lives in Colombia and cannot collect the money. Her family can however.

I can’t seem to locate where in Arizona the money was sent, nor does the online tracker system specify where I can collect the money. I was advised by the Western Union US that the money can be collected from any office in Arizona. Is that correct? It only makes sense that the online tracker system tells a person what location to collect money from.

I have sent a number of emails to rectify this problem (including contacto@transferunion.com; wu.ec@cislatam; executiveresolutionsdept@westernunion.com; and comentarios@activaecuador.com) but none them have been able to help me. All I was given was a case number ** and was told to contact Western Union USA (Western Union Ecuador has been unhelpful).

Activa Ecuador sent an email stating that they are not the agency responsible and told me to contact Cislatam, Cislatam has not responded to my email. I established contact with Western Union USA but strangely they could not help me (why not tell me this in the first place). I was told to contact WU Ecuador and they would assist me in English at 1-800-937-837. They could not help me in English. I tried calling WU USA again and an agent mentioned that he could help me with translation, unfortunately they were not equipped and able to conduct a three way conversation between myself, WU USA and WU Ecuador. (The purpose of this call was to confirm how I could go about changing the receivers name).

My money is sitting in limbo and I feel helpless in trying to get it to the recipient. I have paid Western Union for a service and I can’t see how they cannot communicate between themselves. This is ridiculous. Secondly, I need to change the receivers name and they can’t even get information on how to go about doing this. WU really needs to get its act together. I literally have to travel half-way between Ecuador (and back), Guayaquil to Quito, to go to the office where I deposited the money to attempt to resolve this issue. I have never ever in my life had to do this with a service provider, this is really poor service, in fact it is crazy.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Tried to send some money to a friend of mine who was in Africa and really needed the help. They didn't give me a routing number, so he was unable to get the money. I then called support about 15 times and was passed around like a hot potato. Still haven't gotten the money back. Do NOT use this service.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I lost my money order filed out to get my money back. Sent all the necessary proof that was two months ago. Every time I call the customer service department they said they sent it out but it must have gotten lost in the mail. The customer service representative didn't try to help and was rude. When I asked their name they hung up on me. I called back to get a supervisor and no one could find one. Just horrible service for a company that been around for years. It's just horrible!!!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I needed to send money urgently to my nephew to get out of South Africa, and back to Zambia, due to Xenophobic violence that was about to erupt. We were all extremely worried about his safety, so I sent money to his room mate. When they went to collect, I had to ring up, they interrogated me, and treated me like a child. They told me it was a high risk scam area. I told them I understand, please release the money to who I've stated, as my nephew's life is on the line. They refused. I told the truth. I was ready to kill someone, I have never been so angry.

Next night, I sent money again, to my sister in law, in South Africa. Got the same treatment from Western Union. They asked me if I had ever met my sister in law. Even though I never have, I had to say yes, or they would have cancelled it again. I recommend people should use another carrier. They were rude and very obnoxious, on both occasions.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Money I had sent in 2015 was unclaimed. I left it there for several years, hoping my friend would pick it up, kinda forgot about it. I thought it would be a drama to get it back, boy was I right! 3 times I filled in the online form, never got a reply. I called, got transferred, got transferred, was put to a voice mail, never heard anything. Tried WU Facebook Messenger and the conversation has been going since Mar 15. They then claimed they refunded it. They did not. They asked for bank statements to prove I didn't get it. I sent them. Weeks go past. They ask for bank statements to prove I sent it in 2015, even though their own system tells them I did. I am still waiting. "Sent to the operations department for investigation" 2 months to get my own money back that they have a record that I sent, that it's still uncollected. Future customers you have been warned! Still waiting for my measly $100USD.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I used WU for a long time. Suddenly I got banned. Couldn't send and or even receive. Reason I still don't know. I had to wait 6 months. Yes you read it good - 6 months before I got someone on the phone. He began to ask me plenty questions about transactions etc. Was seriously unacceptable, unpleasant, unprofessional, etc. so I told them I will use other services who don't treat their customers like criminals. I was shocked still actually. What a joke this company. AVOID.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs