3.9/5 (544 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Unable to resolve my issue. Have been sending thousand of dollars for 15 years. My name was flagged by their automatic system and recently no transactions were made. My husband was able to use the same credit card under his name to send money. So how come it did not work for me? Unfortunately it left me no choice but to end my relationship with WU. They declined all my recent transactions. They failed to exercise executive decision to look into my account and assist. Transaction is being banned for something that is a result of auto system. When auto system dictates policy, it means there is no regard to customer's feelings and situations. This shows that WU doesn't care about customers. Nonetheless, it's over. I am no longer a customer of Western Union. One star is not even deserving for the time wasted and stress they have caused.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Used the application for iPhone for bill pay using my debit card for the transaction, charged $92. Found out by going to a retailer it would have cost $13.00 for the same service!! Also noted that the company that the bill was for didn’t post the funds until 2 days later. I could have saved all fees by sending a payment thru bill pay by my bank. I didn’t expect this is also a domestic transaction, This whole experience is very upsetting and I will never use this service again!!!

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Extremely Bad experience !!!! with worst escalation department who extremely rude. I tried sending $2800 real time using premium service using a Debit Card and money has not been sent, waiting to get money back for 2 days and they have refused to give any details. Beware of this fraudulent company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I was trying to send the money from Saudi Arabia using WU. BIG MISTAKE. They seized 5000$ of mine. They don't answer my emails. They don't answer my calls. The customer service in KSA does not exist. I am planning to hire a lawyer. Otherwise the money will be lost. This situation is extremely frustrating. I will never ever use this scammers again!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

They entice people with a competitive exchange rate and quick transfer. Once you start money transfer they need all the documents in the world to verify the sender's and receiver's identity. I asked them to return my money because I am no longer interested in sending this money via WU. They said write us a letter explaining why do you want us to return your money and we will analyze the letter and let you know. This is ridiculous. I would highly recommend not using this service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I have spent a lot of money on international calls as well as many many hours talking to people at Western Union about my account which I have been unable to use. I was told so many times things would be fixed and even talked to Muhammed **, a top executive at Western Union stating my account would be fixed. $83 in international phone bills and there has been nothing but empty promises. There is no way to describe the company other than incompetent. If a company cannot serve its customers, who are they serving?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

My mom that’s quite old sends me about 850 pounds from South America to UK. They have charged her 46 pounds of fees, but on top of that have take another 150 pounds almost and this from the difference of price that they applying on the currency rate, at this time it was 0.75. They just charged me 0.89 which at the end I received 601 pounds. So from someone sending you £846 “to be precise” then received £601, I called them and in a shameful way make me understand that they can apply the rate that they want as they want, I honestly I felt like if they was in front of me I couldn’t keep it calm because they really know what they are doing and they know that is bad.

They are now the biggest ripoff that you can find about money transfer. They really have to stop operating, they are just harming people that do not need to be harmed more than proposing a solution to a existing demand. On top of that even in 2022 they still keep working closely with all type scammers as it looks like they share the same values. Horrible company who needs to stop operating. Who is going to pay almost £200 for a transfer of £850. My old mom don’t get all of the policy behind she thought it will be only 46 of fee as written on their paper without paying attention to the nasty conversion rate that they applied on her. Disgusting company.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

A few days ago I got an email for multiple transactions that were not approved by me. Someone went into my account and started sending themselves money. Most of the transactions were canceled but w went through. I called them and the customer representative was not even the slightest bit sympathetic. They filed a claim but I don't understand why their security is that bad when they are supposed to be a larger company. The customer service is useless. Trying to tell me I need to file a police report when the hackers were not even from this country. I'm still waiting for my money. Never using them again and I will encourage people to use another company to send money.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I would like to discourage everyone from using Western Union. During the Pandemic, I began using Western Union to transfer money for our Church Ministry in the Republic of Ecuador. I used the service successfully until June 2022, when I sent money, and the money never got to the hands of our people. I submitted complaints that the money was stolen. According to the information given to me by WU workers, somebody picked up the money in a location almost 2 hours away from the people I was sending money to Ecuador. I informed WU that the money was never delivered to the original intended person's hands. WU decided to dismiss my complaints.

On top of that, someone internally tries to steal directly from my Checking Account. Thankfully, I saw the dirty move, and I contacted my Bank to put a STOP. In both instances, this company did absolutely nothing. Instead, they told me I had to file a police report for them to investigate. I encourage everyone to use an alternative method of wiring money, such as PayPal, Zoom, etc. Do not use a company that refuses to care for their customers as they should. I firmly believe this was an internal dirty job, and they refuse to hold their people accountable.

Original review: July 13, 2022

Updated on 7/17/2022: Well it seems that if the security team decided to cancel your transaction, they do it without giving you a REASON! How can you know what is wrong after successfully doing a money transfer online. You are told to just go to a WU location if cancelled! That’s after entering your CC INFO, DEBIT CARD INFO, ANOTHER CC, BUT website will not allow you to proceed but again no reason given? Trying to DELETE MY WHOLE ACCOUNT NOW. Wait was two hours but arrived next day with a short window to reply. I reply, get into website, hit send, declined.

Original review: Each agent has a different story as to why or how your money was cancelled. After thorough research with both credit card companies, I was advised my cards were good. Each has a 10k limit but I could not complete a $200 transfer. Supervisor gave conflicting advice, one agent offered to input my cc info by voice as online website is full of clutches. DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION. They are very UNPROFESSIONAL in my opinion. Good luck.

Western Union author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Western Union Company Information