1.10/5

849 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I've been a customer since 2006 with Western Union and have no issues sending my money to my family and friends in the Dominican Republic over the one application that's offered by this company. Recently I began receiving an error code when I tried to send money to my sick mother and I called several times to speak with a representative to get an explanation but I kept getting a runaround. No one knew what was going on with my account and why it was blocked. So I decided to call today in Spanish to see if they will be able to explain, I was told that this company is searching customers private information and using it to penalize you.

A while ago I made a call to Amazon to dispute a couple charges that were not authorized because my children have Amazon Kindles in which they purchased games and I wasn't aware of. Well today the representative from Western Union told me that because of this dispute that has nothing to do with them they now require me to go in person and enter all my information in a computer in order for me to send or receive money. How did they find out about my private transactions with other companies and why use it against me. They are searching thru your credit or debit cards information to obtain records about you. Don't use this company. Your information isn't safe.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

First of all they are not going to change their business model and heed to the suggestions outlined here and various other complaint websites as they are EXTREMELY PROFITABLE - their fees for international are criminal when you factor in the exchange rate. It ended up costing USD$170 more than if a debit card had been used multiple times in the target country and this is including the ATM fees and also the VISA network's ATM exchange rate (a much better rate of course). The transaction was for USD$3,1000. That being said this was an emergency and I decided to do it. Worst mistake of my life.

I could go on and on but everything has already been said here. Customer service? Zero. The comprehension of customer service? Zero. If they are able to communicate what do they know? Absolutely zero. What a crappy job for those poor folks in that call center in India - because everyone calling must be irate. The customer service rep told me after the first transaction was cancelled by WU that WU needed to speak with me to do a phone interview and that I should have called. How was I to know I was supposed to call? Did anyone call me? "No." Did you all send an email or some notification stating that we needed to speak and this is the phone number? "No." - Then how am I supposed to know I need to call you? Also the first transaction was cancelled only 8 minutes after I initiated as per the email timestamps - So I had 8 minutes to magically know I was supposed to call WU and do a phone interview.

I could go on and it actually gets worse from here - bottom line is nothing will change, this service is the absolute worst, you will lose time, money and go through hell with this company. They are in business because their customer service only costs them about $5 a day per head for people who have no clue and cannot communicate and with just a small client base paying tremendous fees for a system that is all computer-base their overhead is extremely low - everything is profit.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Avoid Western Union at all costs. They are crooks. They took $50 from me and won’t give it back. Customer service is easily the worst I’ve ever experienced. Too painful to deal with. Hate these guys so much.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was using the WU online app to transfer money to the Philippines. Last April I noticed there were four withdrawal transactions on my debit card made through Western Union. Each transaction worth $500.00. My bank locked my account and started the investigating the unauthorized charges by WU. The charges look like an inside job, the hacker knows the inside operation of this company. I tried to use their money transfer again but they blocked my name. Be careful. Don’t use the WU online app or any of the WU services.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been using Western Union for a while sending money to my son in Alaska. Just last week I sent some money to him when my son called me to say they dented the money transfer. I call the number that was given to him, could not understand what the person was saying half the time. But what they told me is that my son could not use Western Union ever. For no reason they just cut him out. What kind of business is this. They said to fill out this questionnaire form and they would review it to see if my son would be able to receive money again, well looking at the questionnaire it was asking way too many personal questions and information. So to everyone do not use Western Union. They are crooked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Customer service is a joke. 90% Don't speak good English, just a screwed up company. I don't even know how they're still in business. My wife sent me money and when I tried to receive it they said the 10 digit code was wrong. On top of that they put the wrong state. I'm was in Illinois and they had Pennsylvania, so she had them to correct it, code still didn't go through. Finally after calling time after time, I got fed up and told her to cancel the transaction. Now they saying there was no transaction. SO WHERE'S MY MONEY!!! You guys are a bunch of white collar crooks. Hope Walmart take you down.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My Mom sent me money from the US to go pick up at a Western Union. When I got there, they told me their systems were down and to come back later. I went to another branch and I was told the name on my I’d did not match and to call the sender to change it. I called my Mom and she went back to Western Union to change it. I later went to Western Union again. This time the name was correct. They told me the name was correct but it is written in the wrong sequence, meaning on my id my last name is written first but on the transaction my last name is last. They said to call the sender again to change it. I wasn’t going to do that again as it was an inconvenience to the sender.

I called customer service and they said everything should be fine and to go to another Western Union branch to collect the money. I went to another Western Union branch. They verified everything and it was ok. All of a sudden, their system crashed. I gave my Mtcn number to the agent again to pull up the transaction. I was told the transaction could not be found anymore. I called the customer service line and they couldn’t find the transaction. They said to let the sender contact them directly.

I called my mom and she gave them a call. Still they cannot find the transaction. She gave them a call again a few minutes and she was told the money was released the previous day. My money is now lost and they have asked me to make a complaint. I have never had any inconvenience receiving money from any other company. Western Union is the worst of the worst. No one should ever use them. Their agents are not very confident and they have the worst systems in the world. Just terrible. I will give them -10 if I could.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

What a mistake it was trying to do business with Western Union. Just an awful, a terrible experience. They are manipulative thieves. Their customer service is a joke, condescending, and worst of all, entirely unhelpful. They offer nothing. I beg you, reader, do not use Western Union under any circumstances. They hold on to your money longer than they say, won't give you any answers where it is, and then continue to push back the dates it is available. How this place is in business is beyond me. They are liars, through and through. Do not send money through Western Union.

I should have read the online reviews of Western Union before using. They are awful and damning, as they should be. No one should ever trust a word from this place. Do not send money with Western Union under any circumstances. This company needs to go out of business as soon as possible. It is predatory and unethical. Do not use them, ever, ever, ever.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Western Union has become a headache to use! I had been a loyal user of WU, until about two years ago, when my online transactions started being denied - out of the blue! I contacted WU customer service and was told to “contact my bank”. My bank, that I’ve been a part of since 1989, said there is no reason on their part for the “error”, or denial. WU rep gave no further explanation for the denial.

So, again recently, I went to a WU office to try to SEND money to a family member ($3,000.00). OMG, What a headache!! First they tell me I need TWO IDs, I only had one on me. I went home, picked up a second ID. Presented it to the clerk, as she was completing the transaction, she stopped and said - “I am so sorry, now they want to see a Social Security card!”. WHO nowadays carries an SS card!?!! FINALLY, I asked the clerk to reduce the amount, maybe then the system would accept it. The system did accept the lower amount, but then said... The money would be on HOLD and I had to contact customer service before it could be released!! WHAT?!! Finally it was released after I answered a boatload of ridiculous questions!!! I WILL NOT BE USING WU service again!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Our tenant had purchased a money order for their rent in May 2018. When it did not arrive they contacted WU for claim form. 4-6 weeks to get form and they were required to pay $15 fee just to get a copy of the MO which was cashed. Once they had that then they could file a claim for reimbursement. Then they got forms saying they needed to go and provide a notarized claim form for the funds reimbursement. Again 6 weeks delay. Now they have sent us the landlord a letter saying it does not appear to be forged and asking us to send an notarized affidavit saying we did not cash it. And this letter says another 90-120 days to hear anything.

The money order was endorsed on the back by the name of an individual which is basically illegible and then it says not used for purposes intended. It was cashed at a check cashing service in a state other than the one in which we operate but Western Union says it does not appear to be forged. I would encourage anyone who needs money orders to use someone else, anyone else. We are at 5 months now and it appears it will be another 3-4 to get any action. Who knows if we will be reimbursed. Sure seems like they try everything they can to get you to just give up.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Tried to send money from Clearwater Florida to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, to our son, and the transaction “was put on hold”. After 30 minutes on hold, an almost unintelligible agent came on the line and told me the transaction could not be completed, but she would not tell me why. Instead, she said to “Read through the Terms and Conditions” to figure out why.

DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION anymore to send money; instead go to any WalMart and use their WalMart2WalMart service: it is way less expensive $16 vs $126 for Western Union, and the money sends to receiver in 10 minutes—10 MINUTES! No questions asked! I’ve sent money via Western Union in the past, but NO MORE!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Every single step of this crapshoot of a service has been a nightmare. You NEED to hire Native English speakers if your customer base is English speaking. You have cost me an immense amount of time, frustration, and money on part of my end and my receiver strictly because of the communication barrier. PLEASE, for the love of God... hire some Native English speakers to deal with customers calls. This is utterly ridiculous. I spent hours and way more money than anticipated on trying to get my receiver to be able to pick up their money, simply because the customer service representative could hardly understand what I was asking. I wanted to put in a secret question for my receiver to allow them to pick up a WU because they lacked an I.D. yet the customer service guy, even after I strictly told him not to multiple times, checked the option for my receiver to have an I.D. anyways!

This is all because of a communication barrier, people should NOT be able to work for you without speaking the damn language of its customer base. I'm damn sure I am not the first one to encounter this, it's likely many others, also when you call the 1-800-325-6000 number there isn't a single option to ask for an operator. I literally had to make up a reason for why I was calling to even speak to someone in the first place. This has been an absolute nightmare to get anything done with you over the phone... The fact that WU screwed up and checked the wrong thing because of a communication problem and cost my receiver multiple cab fares to the agent location is utterly ridiculous and on you. Completely unacceptable, if this happens again I will raise holy hell upon you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I’ve been trying to receive my money 4 times so far and ended going home with no success. First time the agent was too busy to assist me, second time there was no cash to pay me, third time I was not registered online and was not able to do anything without registering and today that I thought was everything alright to get my money, once again I was sent home because they couldn’t verify the sender information? WTF???

I’ve been using MoneyGram the last 10 years and never had any issues in sending neither receiving money. Western Union has nothing of practical. I don’t drive and for me to get to the nearest location takes me 1 hour round trip. Do you have any idea of how frustrating and annoying is to spend 4 hours in trips to get your money and not being able to? I would never recommend Western Union service to anyone. The most awful service I’ve ever experienced. Not really practical, efficient, nothing good about, only a waste of time and energy and if you need urgent money, just forget about!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I sent money to my brother in Colombia. I live in Houston TX, first they asked him all about me and my personal history here? Demanded an explanation as to what was he going to do with the money! $80??!!! And then made him wait for 3 hours until they decided to pay him the money and I sent instant payment method! Not to mention they treated him and everyone that was inside that office like criminals.

Called and complain WU and that said that can't control how other branches operate??? Then why are you offering the service??? And before that I had sent few $$ to my sister in law and they denied the payment because according to them we didn't have the same last name??!! Where does it say you have to be siblings to be able to send and receive money?? I had to cancel the transaction and got my money back 8 days later! So I guess they make their own rules as they please! Customer service. It's a joke... They just don't care! Waste of my time... Find another way to send money!! I'm never using this company again!!???

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Find another way to move your money guys, it's just not worth the hassle. From beginning to end it was so hard to fathom. The customer care lines are very difficult to navigate and the people won't give straight answers. My money has been on hold for days with no explanations!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Never trust this Western Union for any money transfer. They make their own rule and they decide whether you are sending your own money by will or by force. I have created my account and have been using that account to send money to Philippines (from USA) number of times ranging from 1k to 5k USD and today they blocked my transaction suspecting that I am being pressurized to send the money. When I have send them all the required documents and when I have been sending to the same person, same place so many time then why the hell are they blocking my transaction. And when you call the customer care they are very unprofessional. They simply told me not to escalate the issue. Such unprofessional people at work.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

One Day I received a call from Ronald, Op ID #** from Know Your Customer (KYC) Western Union P.O. Box 6036 Englewood, CO 80112 Phone: 1-800-325-6000. Asked for information for people I frequently send money. After 4 days they just decided to deny me as a customer. I am not a drug dealer or criminal, never been arrested. Make 120K++/year. Good credit. I used sent money to my mother and other families. There absolutely no reason why a customer like me has been denied!!

Here how my experience went when I called to complain why was I being denied. The answer from the operator was that it was an internal decision and they cannot undo the decision and I was not going to be able to use Western Union anymore. Spoke with the supervisor of that department and also gave me answer like a recorded audio. They have no other answer. They did very poor judgment. Did not ask for income or any other information that may identify who I was. They simply said No!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I went to pick up money that had been sent to me on 7th September 2018. I was told that the money was not available and that I had to wait for an agent to call me. Three days later still no call so I called them. I was told the money was available and I could go and pick it up. So back to WU same thing again. I have been back to WU 8 times now each time being told it was available and then going to WU to be told no it wasn't. I have uploaded my documents 4 times and a WU agent uploaded them once for me. It is now the 28th of September and still not paid out. Told by the WU complaints department they will look into it and guess what it will take them another 3-5 days. So angry. I will never use them again!!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

These people are liars!!!! I been waiting 3 days to get a refund, call today and they say I have to wait 24 hours more. I feel frustrated. Where are my rights? These big companies can lie to consumers and not get any punishment?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I sent my brother money at WU and they took my money and keep saying my money is on reviews with no explanation why and I been calling them 8 days now and asked to transfer me to the department holding my money. They say no and the supervisor don’t pick up the phone. People be careful. Western Union is a crook and they liar. They fraud and Indian liar please don’t send money. Go send thru Money Gram is the best.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have tried to send money to my Family numerous times in the past week, to be exact 4 times, they keep refunding the money without any explanation. Even when I use my Western Union Account and service Centers, all they said is they don't know. Why is that happening, I'm done using Western Union, they've gotten from Bad to worse. The only reason why they even got a one Star is because I wanted everyone to see my review, they really Suck.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I have sent money with Western Union many times. I have noticed that they gave the receivers much less than what they were supposed to give but I overlooked that because the amounts were not worth my time. However, the last time I sent money to Turkey, they gave the receiver £120 less than what I sent (Instead of £309.64 they gave 208 Euros). They told me that they will investigate this but I did not feel in ease with their approach. What are the protections that we have for the unlawful conduct of Western Union? Is it possible to sue WU? Or what are the third parties that can protect us against them? Are there other victims like me regularly being scammed by WU? I feel like they take it for granted that people cannot be bothered. If I sue them can I ask for compensation for the stress and anxiety that they cause and for exploiting our trust? Please help...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Hi. I’ve been transferring money to Puerto Rico in the last year and just 4 weeks ago the online started giving me an error message after 1 transaction. I contacted WU and their email service both told me it was not on their end but the bank. I called my bank. They stated it is Western Union and that when they request the money transfer they do not request and amount as they should to authorize. I explained it to Western Union. They just told me I was randomly chosen for fraud protection which was BS 'cause I opened 4 different accounts with Western Union and they all allow me to send money once then second time it gives me an error where if I want to send another transaction I have to deactivate and reactivate my accounts. Horrible customer service. They cannot even give me a reason.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a money order for $115 and sent it to my attended payee. A week later I received it back in the mail saying I am no longer on a payment plan. I went on and followed the instructions to obtain a refund for my money order on the Western Union website. I sent them the original money order, the receipt, the customer request form, along with the letter my attended payee sent me stating the reason they sent it back. I then receive from Western Union a copy of the same money order I sent them on September 10th stating that on August 27th it was cashed.

Number 1.) They already had physical possession of the money order on the date they are saying it was cashed sooo...how did it get cashed? 2nd it states that the signature line on the back should be endorsed on the line showing proof that the payee cashed it but there is no signature! They literally are stealing my money and blaming the payee which I know 100% the payee did not cash this money order because I had it in my hands!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

"Sorry" is only word they say if you explain the problem, unfortunately, I had to use only this service. But whenever I try to submit transaction, it takes to page and say contact customer service, when I call them they ask me to go to agent, why they build website does not work, and mobile app the same, I never seen this worst website. Never work for me...I don't understand why they hire someone to test their website.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Unfortunately, Western Union is the only choice available for me to send money to my family overseas. I can list endless problems that I ran into with WU. Yesterday I sent money to my sister. Somehow, they made a mistake with the receiver last name. She couldn't receive the money, I called WU to correct the problem. They couldn't make the changes and asked me to go to Walgreens (where I sent it from).

At Walgreens, I was told, they cannot make the changes because they don't have the WU system (software) in their computer, they only have paperless system. They advised me to go to regular agent. I went to regular agent and I explained to them the problem, they couldn't help me because their WU system gave them an error that this transaction is not in their network. I reached a dead end. I have been calling WU all day long, I keep getting a message to call back in 15 minutes. When dealing with WU, I feel I am in a third world country and not in the US when you can do a lot from your own keyboard.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have done business with Western Union in the past with no issue. Today I go to wire $900.00 for emergency funds and they put a hold on it. I call customer service to see why and they tell me they have issued a refund and it is being processed and they will call when they issue. I ask why, they held my funds, they can’t give me a valid reply. Called again to speak with another rep only for them to give me the runaround as well. I will never do business with Western Union ever!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Tried multiple times to send money to a relative that I've sent money to on numerous occasions. After both my relative and I making multiple return trips to store to receive money, the transaction was not processed. Did not get money that was sent. Called Western Union to figure out problem. Asked to speak to supervisor, phone rang 40 times with no one picking up. Called back. Talked to different operator. Was told problem was on sender side, needed to validate info. Had sender called. They said problem was with receiver. Long story short. Western Union dropped the ball on all fronts. Never got money. Save yourself the headache. Do not use Western Union. You can thank me later.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I have been working with tenants of mine to obtain copies of cashed money orders through Western Union. We filled out the necessary paperwork, attached yet more money orders made out to Western Union for the purpose of obtaining copies of the cashed money orders.. They told customer service every time that I was their point of contact, and were using my email to send copies to (this after they said they mailed them and we didn't get). This has been going on since May of 2018... Still no copies of the cashed money orders. Not only that but guess what? They aren't regulated by any financial laws that will now make them follow through. Nothing would please me more than to disallow Western Union as an acceptable form of payment in the future!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The level of incompetence of this entity is beyond belief. They are not able to handle online transactions. When I contact them via phone, I am connected to Philippines to agents who have no understanding of the issues. Over 10 times I asked to be connected to a supervisor in US, and they disconnected my phone calls. I have sent over 15 emails to customer service, and even escalated the problem to their complaint department, and only receive an automated email that has nothing to do with my problem. If you value your time, avoid this company. They are the definition of incompetence.

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs