3.9/5 (542 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

This is worst platform ever. Holding my money for more than 10 days now. I sent money to my girlfriend who needed to go for medical checkup and 7 days later they send a message saying error with names and next message is I am being refunded. It’s been 7 business days. I haven’t received my refund or anything. I call. No one picks up. Thieves.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Sent money to my nephew exactly as I do every month and when he was not able to retrieve it WU told me there had been a mistake on the receiving end and although the money was in the system it was marked as “retrieved”. They gave me the runaround for a couple of days if different information they wanted from me and the receiver. I still haven’t heard back from them and I’ve contacted them by phone over 8 different times and each time they just want more information or tell me something totally different like “We can’t access your account. Call back in 10 minutes.” So unprofessional. I’m assuming my money is gone now.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

I am fed the ** up with this new change with Western Union. I wish they go back to the old payment method. The new system makes something so simple hard! All I’m trying to do is pay my bill and it’s becoming overwhelming and a big ** problem. I been trying to pay my gas bill since last month, Online won’t accept my banking information I try to go to a third party store they keep telling me call Western Union, Western Union keep telling me Southern Connecticut Gas don’t exist what the **. Then when I don’t pay my bill it’s a ** problem. Then they keep asking me what’s the code city??? I ask them to explain to my what is a code city is and they can’t!!!! I asked is it a area code or a zip code they said no so at this point I’m over it big time

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

Worst business ever. If you are here looking for reviews do yourself a favor and don’t spend time or money with them. They will take your money and time away. They will not solve problems created by them. I wish I had known first here and never tried and tried dealing with this company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

I usually transfer to my sister for her cancer treatment, the money in minutes in India is a joke! The WU charges me 13 dollars for a transfer, and the money instead of receiving in minutes, the WU guy in India, they make their own rules and gives a check to my sister, which takes time and stress and frustration to go the next day deposit in the bank and go and get the money after couple of days, so why am I being charged for money in minutes?

My niece is a University student and her MBA program needs money to be paid in installments, so this time the money was late and University charged her 23,000 for late fees which is a lot of money Keeping in mind, the trouble my sister goes through with her cancer(Lymphoma) she has no immunity, the pollution and traffic to reach the bank, stand in a line to deposit the check and then again come back for the next couple of days to cash the check from the bank? She was also told by the WU guy in India if you need cash then you have to pay 2% of the transaction? Why?

So, I called early morning today (Nov. 20, 2022) to officially file a complaint and somebody by the name "Mel" took my call and was never understanding the situation, so I requested a Supervisor, he was busy on a customer call, so he would call me, I was told, I waited 3 hours, and when I got frustrated called again, Sophia picked up the call and Mr. Lester the supervisor came on the phone, and guess what was the result of the situation and frustration?

He wants to give me $6.50 off on my next transaction? I told him "are you kidding me?" All the frustration my sister and the daughter went through to pay their tuition (which was late and University charged them around 23,000 Indian rupees as late fees. You are giving me $6.50 cents, for a person who transfers every month? What kind of supervisor are you? and they kept you for international transfers? You must be joking to give me six dollars and fifty cents off of next transaction, what a shame! I might be contacting an attorney very soon.

Z.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I have transferred money to my account in India and it's been cancelled. When I enquired the Customer service they just said it's been cancelled and refund back to account takes 10 business days. This is such a reluctant service and this is not the first time making me to give this feedback. When they cannot offer the service they should not debit the money and put them on hold for weeks to get them refunded. I would never recommend this to any one. Prevent one from using it. Holding the customer's money in their accounts for weeks has become the way of their working style. Such a great service in holding up someone's money for weeks. When you can't do it, just stay away Western Union.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

My son moved from Hawaii to Pennsylvania and he had a motorcycle that needed to be sold. A friend in Hawaii took care of selling the bike and decided to send the money Western Union to my son. Thought everything was a done deal only to find out it was flagged for fraudulent transaction which makes no sense as the money is being sent from one WU to another WU. They then decided to cancel transaction and issue a refund but the refund check will take 20-30 days to receive! What a nightmare! Not easy and simple like they portray!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I do regular transfers overseas and didn’t have any problems until the recent two months. In Aug, the money I transferred on 12/09 didn’t arrive until 14/09. That was not too bad I guess, even though usually it would arrive within hours. But then for my last transfer, money came out of my account on 20/09, but it didn’t arrive until 30/09. During this period I have been told by Western Union they didn’t receive any money from me even though they sent me a confirmation email saying they have. I had to make phone calls almost every day for a week as their advisors keep telling me wrong info about when they would call me for updates.

I didn’t receive any callbacks of course. I raised a complaint for this horrific customer service I received and again didn’t receive any email until 11/10 telling me they are sorry but they can not do anything else apart from offering me 50% discount for transferring money next time when there is no transfer fee involved! How ridiculous is this. All they do is to repeat the fact they are wrong but they are not prepared to do anything about it for the time I wasted, the calls I made and the stress caused by their incompetence! Won’t use it recommend Western Union to anybody!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

Funds could not be received. We had to call customer service multiple times and were told by the Rep to go to another location who told us the funds were not available and to return within 24 hours. Why have this service, fees stating funds can be received within minutes. Be honest with your customers. The funds were much needed. Western Union needs to do better or change your advertisement from "receive within minutes to up to 24 hours".

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

First time ever using the service. Heard a lot of bad things but took a chance in spite of what people were saying. I sent money in to my husband in Nigeria. Some approved or not, Questioned why? I felt they discriminate against me and my family. I would never use their service again. Good people should not be mistreated.

Western Union author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Western Union Company Information