1.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

868 Western Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have been using Western Union for over 5 years now and have noticed that a money transfer never goes through when the exchange rate is good. I have called their customer service dept every time and get promised that they will get their technical team to call me back within 24 hours. To date this has never happened. They blatantly lie. As soon as the rate drops the website miraculously starts to work again. Initially I thought it may be due to a high volume of people using the site to take opportunity of the high exchange rate but was told by Western Union that this was not the case. So what is it then? They don’t know. They ask me for a copy of my passport/driver’s license and recent utility bill so that I can be verified and increase my transaction limit but then do not allow me to send even small amounts.

This seems like a bit of a scam. I don’t like the fact that they have your personal details when you are in actual fact not being allowed to use their service. Use WorldRemit. They may not always offer the highest rates - only a fraction of a difference but they are good. You get regular updates about the transaction via email and text service and their website always seems to work! And they have offer of you and your family and friends getting money when recommending and using the service... It’s all on their site. From a very fed up ex-Western Union customer!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This company deactivated my profile and blocked me from using their service without any prior notification. I have used this service for over 14 years without any problems until July, 2018. I have email, chatted, IM, sent letters to find out why and to get my account from being blocked. I got nothing but the runaround. I have filled out Reinstatement paper multiple time. Then after a lawyer contacted this company did I hear the following: That Western Union has investigated this matter and made a business discussion to block me from using its service.

They claimed that I had pattern which suggest that I was a victim of consumer fraud. That was news to me, not one time during my multiple phone calls, emails chats did anyone mention that I might have been a victim. I was never a victim, I sent money every other Friday and been doing so for over 14 year. But, wait there is more! Then, this company tells the lawyers the following: Western Union did receive a reinstatement request claiming that they denied my request on Sept 21, 2018. Then they said that Western Union received additional information and documentation from me. That new information is currently under review and that I would receive a notice of Western Union Decision.

As of Dec 10 I have yet to hear anything. In the meantime, because of their actions I am not able to send money to relatives. This has been the worst experience that I have ever had with any company on the globe. The customer service agents are not all helpful. This company needs a complete overhaul. I am sure that I am not the only customer in 2018 that has had this issue. I am a Gold Card member with this company & I am not happy with the way that I have been treated. There was no notification whatsoever to me in regards to any consumer fraud. On the contrary, one of their Western Locations in Marietta, GA tried to accuse my receiver of fraud and would not allow him to pick up both Money transfers at that location. Ever since then, I had nothing but, problem.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Purpose of Western Union is to send money. However 90% of the time I am having an issue with the website. They need to hire a good Data scientist and good back-end cruise. Hire some Indian or Chinese. I am sick of this issues. They always tell me to go to the nearest Western Union location to send money. Hello, it's 2018. You guys need to focus on online transactions. I am switching to a different company. I am spending my time to write this because you need to work on good working staff in the IT department.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I gave money my mother so that she send it to some money to my husband who is in the Dominican Rep. She went and Told the lady that she was sending it me. She send it. For some reason my husband couldn't pick it up. So I called My mom, put my first name then an initial for one of my last mane and my last name. It's been over a month since this happened. I have called several time talk to a supervisor and that person told me that I was going to received a check by mail which never did. I have to call yesterday to find out that I apparently can pick up the money and any location...But, I am afraid because, my mom was the one sending the money and she uses her debit card. Now if I go there to pick up the money they will tell me that my mom need to pick it up because she was the one who did it. We live over an hour away. She is busy, I am very busy and I don't want to start this all over again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I submitted a refund request via email in May of 2018, I have still yet to receive my refund 6 months later. I'm basically calling once a month to check in on the process and CSR KEEPS saying they haven't received anything or they'll tell me to call back in 48 hours. Every time I've emailed I get an automatic email from Western Union saying they've received my documents. I've emailed and faxed proof of purchase and requested documents 5 times since June. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted at this whole mess and the lack of timeliness on their behalf. I want my money NOW.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

First off, I had my transaction canceled midway for no reason whatsoever. I initiated the transaction over an hour ago but they took that long to mention that I can’t transfer. By that time, I had already traveled down to the agent and was in a queue! Their app doesn’t allow to skip queues... When that happened, I was given no reason whatsoever but was expected to give out my personal information because they said so. In the words of their staff, "You will know when you give us your information."

After I did just that, I received a call from a Service Staff that clearly wasn’t even equipped with the knowledge to deal with commercial customers. She kept asking questions that did not apply to my country and she kept asking for my business license even I though I already provided her that TWICE! Even a simple search can turn up our company info from a government website. Highly untrained staff. Avoid them no matter what. It is not worth the effort.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I am incensed by the unethical and slow service and poor design of the Western Union App and discount offers which today cost me an hour of my time and $31 extra dollars in transfer fees. I would like to report that this company is one of the worst customer service providers I have witnessed in my lifetime! The discounts that routinely litter my email account must be false because I am never able to claim them. Their phone customer service is inept, and the Western Union App design is a triumph of inefficiency and malfunction!

I just spent an hour at the Western Union agent location with the app refusing to accept my credentials and asking me all manner of personal detail only because I was sending an amount slightly larger than $1000 to pay for family member’s medical care in another country! Not even if I was being vetted to work at the CIA would they have asked me for so much personal information and lengthy confirmation of my identity - all that was missing was a cheek swab, and blood and stool samples! And in the end after that ordeal, I was not able to send the money via an app which saves me $31 on transfer because the app was malfunctioning and refusing to accept my information and ID info. Disgraceful!!! Western Union already profits out of people's misery of needing to send money to relatives living in difficult circumstances abroad. The very least they can do is provide ethical and conscientious service! ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

WU charged me without delivering the money to my recipient. When I asked for the Refund, it took them 22 days to refund me my money. Not only this, I was calling every other day and I was told a new story every time I called. It's not 1950s, there are better services/companies available than the Western Union. Better to use Xoom or etc.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have had a worst experience with Western Union, I transferred my money on 19/11/18 and got the confirmation from Western Union that ‘transaction is in process. You don’t need to do anything unless you hear from us.’ After 3 days wait I called customer care and quoted them my tracking number, they said they don’t have any information on this tracking number. It’s absolutely glitch of Western Union that they did not accept and treated me with poor customer service by different agents. They told me they will accelerate the issue with complaints department. Today I called Western Union again and quoted the complaint number and guess what. They said that my account is not verified. That’s why transaction was not sent.

My questions are why I was not informed about this earlier? Why I had to call after three days wait? Why the agents were not able to get the information about my transaction at first instance? If I would have been informed about this timely I would have gone to other millions of websites online for money exchange. I will share the scandal everywhere wherever I could to make people aware and cautious about worst customer service and crappy internal system. I want to highlight the agent from complaints department with whom I had talk today. She was ridiculous in her customer service and will wipe away all customers if she is in charge of Western Union operations. Her name is ‘Lou’ and operator number is **. I asked her to connect me to the manager or supervisor then after a hold of 10 minutes she said there is no supervisor or manager today.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I've used them for years. They've declined in service. Lack of training OF their employees. Constant freeze on transactions. The right hand don’t know what the left is doing. Bad attitude from their female workers. It’s global lottery with these people. It’s like a box of chocolates, never know what you gonna get. Bunch of FORREST GUMPS. RUN FROM WESTERN UN-UNITED, RUN!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The representative that took all the information to send money on the Western Union number got name address and phone number incorrect as well as my mom's name so she couldn't even pick up the money I sent and then since they had my phone number 409 when it's 449 they wouldn't allow her middle name to be changed from N to Ann which was originally said to them. So after wasting my whole morning just to find out I had to return to store where I had done the original transaction I had to call back again 'cause they never informed me I'd need a pin code to get refund.

After another phone call to them I received a pin but still no refund 'cause even though I had given the zip code and reiterated the city as well as the state 3 times the wrong state was put into their system. Had I not kept the agent on the phone this time 'cause of previous issue with their incompetence I would have had to call again for the 5th time today. I finally after 5 1/2 hrs of dealing with different representatives including a supervisor we got the money returned.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

WU canceled a transaction, sent an email saying I had initiated the cancellation and would refund the money as soon as they've received it. 4 operators and a supervisor later, they insisted it will take 7 days to refund the money that I paid instantly to them. My question is, why are they holding the money for 7 days? Your guess is as good as mine. Avoid like a plague!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Do not deal with Western Union...GO TO MONEYGRAM. THOSE ** will give you the run around if you're trying to get a refund back. They’re quick to collect your money but DO NOT like handing it back. I’m still waiting 1 week later for a refund I paid IN CASH! NO REASON FOR ANYBODY to be waiting that long for a refund. If I can give them 0 stars I would. Their customer service is complete garbage! Always have excuses and will keep telling you call back in 24 hours. 24 hours pass and they will tell you call back in another 24/48 hours. That passes and they will have the nerves to tell you wait some more!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Never ever try Western Union for your money transfer. This guys are total fraud. While transferring, they say that your money will be transferred in 3-5 days. Once you transferred the money, they will email you that it takes 10-14 days to complete the transfer. If you call the customer service for the reason why they are taking that long to transfer, all they say is, "Our system says that it will be credited after 14 days. We don't know the reason." Then why the ** are you guys working there if you don't know the reason. And this guys are so rude and unprofessional, I had never seen this kind of worst customer service agents like this guys. I had talked with nearly 5-6 people and all of them are same. Looks like the whole company has worst customer service employees. If you want to lose your sleep and want to experience the torture feel free to use Western Union.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My mom sent me some money thru WU. I went to pick it up 2.5 hrs later. When I got to the store they said "it's saying to wait 15 minutes." The assistant had never seen that before nor had her sup. I do a little shopping as at Safeway anyway. Go back 15 min later and the same thing. "It's still being processed" was advised to call customer service. They have to talk to my mom who sent the money. I let her know. When she calls the rep is rude and said that they would call her. This is e hrs AFTER she sent the money. No EMAIL, no call and he won't tell her anything. That was gas money for work so now I have to wait and see what's going on. My mom is upset because she sent that money in good faith that I would get it. Absolutely the worst experience I've ever had.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had the worst customer service experienced. He talked rudely and lazily. His service also bad. He asked me to call back because he said my voice is too small, I refused because he can hear me and reply me correctly. Such a lame excuse to be lazy on your work.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Western Union Debacle Log - 10/29/18 5:18 pm - Called and got escalated customer service line. Service person was very kind and sympathetic. She attempted to connect me to a money order supervisor. After being on the phone with her for over 20 minutes with her attempting to contact and connect me with a supervisor, she assured me that she had spoken with a supervisor and had been assured that they would call me back. I agreed to get off of the line and wait for a callback which never occurred.

11/2/18 approximately 1:27 pm - After having one customer service rep hang up on me again, I called back and was connected to Joseph. I explained about losing the money order with the receipt attached and paying the $30 and having the form mailed in etc. Then how I had waited the requisite time with no response and had gotten a supervisor who had me fax it in. Then, I explained to Joseph that I had bought a money order for $700. The cashier at the time was a woman. I lost that and the receipt attached to it.

Upon losing the money order, I went back to the same place and bought the second money order for exactly the same amount. The cashier that time was a male. When I explained to him, that I had turned in the form along with the $30 as well as the receipt of purchase NOT the one attached to the money order, Joseph after interrupting me several times promptly informed me that I MUST have given them the wrong receipt.

When I explained to him AGAIN that that was not likely because I sent the receipt with the FEMALE’S name attached to it, he informed me again that it was not Western Union’s responsibility to send in the correct receipt with the form. After several times going in a circle repeating these things to one another, I asked him to transfer me to someone else.

He told me that I could call the number that I had originally called and start over again. I repeated that I would prefer that HE transfer me over to someone else because over the months, I have been hung up on multiple times and placed on hold for over 20 minutes multiple times. He then smugly told me that he was the only supervisor on shift at this time and that no other human was available. Then he said “Thank you for calling Western Union.” And hung up. This issue is still unresolved and I have left off a month and a half of calls where I was hung up on or put on hold for over 20 minutes until I finally hung up. I have no idea of how to finally get this issue resolved.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I've been using Western Union to send money internationally since the late 90s. I never had to call their customer service since last week after I found out I have points I've been acquiring and I can cash in but only if I call customer service first to transfer it to my "so call account". The agent conveniently forgot to mention that in order to redeem it, I have to log in and reset my account.

I had to call twice last week in which the 2nd agent could only give limited help, cause his computers kept freezing and of course kept doing the same to me when I tried once home. So I took a break from calling, cause I was busy and frustrated! I decided to try this week only to be told my present cell number can no longer be found in the system and my of course NEITHER MY POINTS! Once again I was transferred several times and was confidently told I'd be compensated and helped, only to be transferred by what "seemed" to be a competent person to ringing line that was never answered! Western Union sounds like a company that LOVES to receive money from their clients but HATES to give OUT! Oh well thank God I can take my BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have been with Western Union since 2006 maybe even before that. I use their service by sending money not to too many people, and on an occasion or two I received money from people. This was a quick way of doing business with certain clients. One day I notice that someone was sending a larger amount of money to someone I didn’t know as well as the person send the money through my account I didn’t know, I call Western Union and let them know I see something different going on with my account.

After I let them know and with the customer service agent agreeing with me that the transaction was different from what I have been doing, two week after that call my account was suspiciously suspended. And I could not do transactions online anymore. I said I was fine with that I would just do them through an agent, well that never happened this company just stopped me from ever being able to send money at all now that’s not such a big problem the problem for me is that they have just to inform me of what I have done wrong was it a crime to complain about suspicious activity going on using my name? I have tried to email the company numerous times and they have yet to answer. Just would like to know what I did wrong but if these money agencies are going to do their clients like this at least have better customer service communication with client that have been there.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I've been a customer since 2006 with Western Union and have no issues sending my money to my family and friends in the Dominican Republic over the one application that's offered by this company. Recently I began receiving an error code when I tried to send money to my sick mother and I called several times to speak with a representative to get an explanation but I kept getting a runaround. No one knew what was going on with my account and why it was blocked. So I decided to call today in Spanish to see if they will be able to explain, I was told that this company is searching customers private information and using it to penalize you.

A while ago I made a call to Amazon to dispute a couple charges that were not authorized because my children have Amazon Kindles in which they purchased games and I wasn't aware of. Well today the representative from Western Union told me that because of this dispute that has nothing to do with them they now require me to go in person and enter all my information in a computer in order for me to send or receive money. How did they find out about my private transactions with other companies and why use it against me. They are searching thru your credit or debit cards information to obtain records about you. Don't use this company. Your information isn't safe.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

First of all they are not going to change their business model and heed to the suggestions outlined here and various other complaint websites as they are EXTREMELY PROFITABLE - their fees for international are criminal when you factor in the exchange rate. It ended up costing USD$170 more than if a debit card had been used multiple times in the target country and this is including the ATM fees and also the VISA network's ATM exchange rate (a much better rate of course). The transaction was for USD$3,1000. That being said this was an emergency and I decided to do it. Worst mistake of my life.

I could go on and on but everything has already been said here. Customer service? Zero. The comprehension of customer service? Zero. If they are able to communicate what do they know? Absolutely zero. What a crappy job for those poor folks in that call center in India - because everyone calling must be irate. The customer service rep told me after the first transaction was cancelled by WU that WU needed to speak with me to do a phone interview and that I should have called. How was I to know I was supposed to call? Did anyone call me? "No." Did you all send an email or some notification stating that we needed to speak and this is the phone number? "No." - Then how am I supposed to know I need to call you? Also the first transaction was cancelled only 8 minutes after I initiated as per the email timestamps - So I had 8 minutes to magically know I was supposed to call WU and do a phone interview.

I could go on and it actually gets worse from here - bottom line is nothing will change, this service is the absolute worst, you will lose time, money and go through hell with this company. They are in business because their customer service only costs them about $5 a day per head for people who have no clue and cannot communicate and with just a small client base paying tremendous fees for a system that is all computer-base their overhead is extremely low - everything is profit.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Avoid Western Union at all costs. They are crooks. They took $50 from me and won’t give it back. Customer service is easily the worst I’ve ever experienced. Too painful to deal with. Hate these guys so much.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was using the WU online app to transfer money to the Philippines. Last April I noticed there were four withdrawal transactions on my debit card made through Western Union. Each transaction worth $500.00. My bank locked my account and started the investigating the unauthorized charges by WU. The charges look like an inside job, the hacker knows the inside operation of this company. I tried to use their money transfer again but they blocked my name. Be careful. Don’t use the WU online app or any of the WU services.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been using Western Union for a while sending money to my son in Alaska. Just last week I sent some money to him when my son called me to say they dented the money transfer. I call the number that was given to him, could not understand what the person was saying half the time. But what they told me is that my son could not use Western Union ever. For no reason they just cut him out. What kind of business is this. They said to fill out this questionnaire form and they would review it to see if my son would be able to receive money again, well looking at the questionnaire it was asking way too many personal questions and information. So to everyone do not use Western Union. They are crooked.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Customer service is a joke. 90% Don't speak good English, just a screwed up company. I don't even know how they're still in business. My wife sent me money and when I tried to receive it they said the 10 digit code was wrong. On top of that they put the wrong state. I'm was in Illinois and they had Pennsylvania, so she had them to correct it, code still didn't go through. Finally after calling time after time, I got fed up and told her to cancel the transaction. Now they saying there was no transaction. SO WHERE'S MY MONEY!!! You guys are a bunch of white collar crooks. Hope Walmart take you down.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My Mom sent me money from the US to go pick up at a Western Union. When I got there, they told me their systems were down and to come back later. I went to another branch and I was told the name on my I’d did not match and to call the sender to change it. I called my Mom and she went back to Western Union to change it. I later went to Western Union again. This time the name was correct. They told me the name was correct but it is written in the wrong sequence, meaning on my id my last name is written first but on the transaction my last name is last. They said to call the sender again to change it. I wasn’t going to do that again as it was an inconvenience to the sender.

I called customer service and they said everything should be fine and to go to another Western Union branch to collect the money. I went to another Western Union branch. They verified everything and it was ok. All of a sudden, their system crashed. I gave my Mtcn number to the agent again to pull up the transaction. I was told the transaction could not be found anymore. I called the customer service line and they couldn’t find the transaction. They said to let the sender contact them directly.

I called my mom and she gave them a call. Still they cannot find the transaction. She gave them a call again a few minutes and she was told the money was released the previous day. My money is now lost and they have asked me to make a complaint. I have never had any inconvenience receiving money from any other company. Western Union is the worst of the worst. No one should ever use them. Their agents are not very confident and they have the worst systems in the world. Just terrible. I will give them -10 if I could.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

What a mistake it was trying to do business with Western Union. Just an awful, a terrible experience. They are manipulative thieves. Their customer service is a joke, condescending, and worst of all, entirely unhelpful. They offer nothing. I beg you, reader, do not use Western Union under any circumstances. They hold on to your money longer than they say, won't give you any answers where it is, and then continue to push back the dates it is available. How this place is in business is beyond me. They are liars, through and through. Do not send money through Western Union.

I should have read the online reviews of Western Union before using. They are awful and damning, as they should be. No one should ever trust a word from this place. Do not send money with Western Union under any circumstances. This company needs to go out of business as soon as possible. It is predatory and unethical. Do not use them, ever, ever, ever.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Western Union has become a headache to use! I had been a loyal user of WU, until about two years ago, when my online transactions started being denied - out of the blue! I contacted WU customer service and was told to “contact my bank”. My bank, that I’ve been a part of since 1989, said there is no reason on their part for the “error”, or denial. WU rep gave no further explanation for the denial.

So, again recently, I went to a WU office to try to SEND money to a family member ($3,000.00). OMG, What a headache!! First they tell me I need TWO IDs, I only had one on me. I went home, picked up a second ID. Presented it to the clerk, as she was completing the transaction, she stopped and said - “I am so sorry, now they want to see a Social Security card!”. WHO nowadays carries an SS card!?!! FINALLY, I asked the clerk to reduce the amount, maybe then the system would accept it. The system did accept the lower amount, but then said... The money would be on HOLD and I had to contact customer service before it could be released!! WHAT?!! Finally it was released after I answered a boatload of ridiculous questions!!! I WILL NOT BE USING WU service again!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Our tenant had purchased a money order for their rent in May 2018. When it did not arrive they contacted WU for claim form. 4-6 weeks to get form and they were required to pay $15 fee just to get a copy of the MO which was cashed. Once they had that then they could file a claim for reimbursement. Then they got forms saying they needed to go and provide a notarized claim form for the funds reimbursement. Again 6 weeks delay. Now they have sent us the landlord a letter saying it does not appear to be forged and asking us to send an notarized affidavit saying we did not cash it. And this letter says another 90-120 days to hear anything.

The money order was endorsed on the back by the name of an individual which is basically illegible and then it says not used for purposes intended. It was cashed at a check cashing service in a state other than the one in which we operate but Western Union says it does not appear to be forged. I would encourage anyone who needs money orders to use someone else, anyone else. We are at 5 months now and it appears it will be another 3-4 to get any action. Who knows if we will be reimbursed. Sure seems like they try everything they can to get you to just give up.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Tried to send money from Clearwater Florida to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, to our son, and the transaction “was put on hold”. After 30 minutes on hold, an almost unintelligible agent came on the line and told me the transaction could not be completed, but she would not tell me why. Instead, she said to “Read through the Terms and Conditions” to figure out why.

DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION anymore to send money; instead go to any WalMart and use their WalMart2WalMart service: it is way less expensive $16 vs $126 for Western Union, and the money sends to receiver in 10 minutes—10 MINUTES! No questions asked! I’ve sent money via Western Union in the past, but NO MORE!

Western Union expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Union (WU) was founded in 1851 as an American telegraph company, and it began offering money transfer services in 1871. Now, Western Union is one of the world’s largest and most well-known money transfer companies. In 2015, it facilitated the transfer of more than $150 billion. It offers consumers and businesses options for sending and receiving money both domestically and internationally.

• Fee tool: Consumers can use the fee estimator on WU’s website to see how much it will cost to send money to someone else online, in person, over the telephone or through the WU app. The tool will also show consumers how long it will take for the funds to be available to the recipient.

• App: The Western Union Money Transfer app, available for both iOS and Android devices, allows consumers to send money directly from their mobile phones. Money can be sent to other individuals or be used to pay bills at select businesses.

• Rewards: The My WU rewards program lets customers earn points for money spent on transfer fees. Rewards points can be used to make free transfers, enroll in select Udemy online courses or make matched donations to the Western Union Foundation.

• NGOs: Western Union partners with the Clinton Global Initiative to help non-governmental organizations (NGOs) get money to individuals around the globe who do not have access to traditional financial institutions. In some locations, funds can be sent to users’ mobile wallets.

• Refer-a-Friend: The Refer-a-Friend promotional program rewards customers who invite others to use Western Union. The first time the invitee sends money, both the original customer and the new customer receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

• Best for: Western Union has services that meet most customers’ needs, including individuals, entrepreneurs, business owners and charitable organizations.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs