4.53/5
Based on 299 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

TransferWise

TransferWise is disrupting the way the world transfers money. Move your money with no hidden charges and for up to eight times less than traditional banks. Our method is easy and fast without sacrificing security and has been trusted by over one million customers across the world.

299 TransferWise Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 29, 2018

My daughter is currently abroad on a study trip and suggested that I use TransferWise to transfer some money to her. She sent me a link via email to join Transferwise and get my first commission free transfer. I went ahead and sent the money from a prepaid card into her UK account and everything seemed fine at first, I get an email saying that Transferwise received the money and that it was going to be paid into the recipient's account in a matter of seconds, yes SECONDS they said! - Two days later and although they took the money from my debit card (straight away), the funds still haven't reached my daughter's account and on top of that they deactivated my account!

I rang their call center to ask for an explanation and they were completely useless. They couldn't tell me why my account was deactivated or when the money would be paid back into my account! I explained that my prepaid card (which is not linked to any current or savings account) will expire on 30th June which is tomorrow and that I needed the refund to be paid before that, but they said that they can't speed up the process and they can't do anything about it. It was like talking to a brick wall - so frustrating!

Transferwise people: if you are going to deactivate my account for no reason at least refund me the money immediately without causing further inconvenience! and if you are deactivating the account, why did you take the money in the first place? I also contacted you via email to support@transferwise.com and appeals@transferwise.com but no reply whatsoever! Has anybody experienced similar issues with this company? Are they a bunch of money stealing scammers? My daughter is now stranded in London with no money to pay for her tickets back home. I am furious! Ready to take this further and file a formal complaint with the Consumer Ombudsman.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 19, 2018

Something has changed with this company recently. They used to be super reliable, fast and easy for transferring money. I used it regularly and was always really happy with the service. Now the exact same transaction that used to take seconds, and was easily tracked, now still says it will take seconds or minutes, but actually takes days, and no one in customer service can give you any information on where your money is in the process. The messages you receive on either email or via the call center are vague or misleading. This company used to be an excellent disruptor in the money exchange industry- now seems to be the same as the rest.

Hi Fiona,

We appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to provide a great product, exceptional customer service, and to give an alternative to the old ways of the banks. If we aren't doing that, I apologize.

We recently updated our transfer tracker and working on improving the accuracy of the delivery date. Delays and vague information aren't good. Our Support should be consistent and informative; please let us know when you don't get the information you need.

Patrick

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 15, 2018

The transfer was marked completed on 6th June 2018. On 8th June, TransferWise request for additional document as they informed me the receiver government bank want these details. Additional details submitted to TransferWise on 11 June 2018. After that day I sent 3 emails and 3 calls to customer care. Customer care said we don't have any update, we can contact payment team and give you the update but till date no update.

Hello Sumit,

Good day. Thanks for your feedback, I completely understand your concern since there's no update. The review can take a few days depending on what our partner bank or government agency needs to validate.

If this hasn't been resolved, I encourage you to reach out to our Support team for more updates. We will do our best to find a resolution in a timely manner.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2018

Hello. Please does anyone know how long it take for a TransferWise transaction from AUD to ZAR takes for an AUD payout using a debit card. My relative sent me payment using the TransferWise, and it was advised in my message that my friend sent me fund and will arrive in my account shortly. Estimated date of arrival is 11th June 2018. Transfer was initiated on the 9th but it hasn't arrived yet. The status of the transfer is labelled completed, but money hasn't arrived in my account. TransferWise team please kindly advise what is the hold up. Thank you.

Hello Maletsatsi,

The currency route you mentioned should only have taken about 1-2 business to complete. Since you're not seeing the deposit in your account, I would suggest asking the recipient to provide you a transfer receipt. You can provide the receipt to your bank for further research, plus the transfer receipt proves the transfer was completed.

The sender can call us any time for further help, and we will be happy to help them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2018

I have used this service before most of the time without issue. Lately they do not provide the same efficacy. One transfer can go quickly and another may take days. When you call you cannot get anyone who can give you an answer as to why. What you get is no logical reason and a bad attitude. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE IF YOU NEED THE FUNDS TO ARRIVE QUICKLY.

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We don't want your experience to decrease as you continue your business with us.

Transfers may move at different speeds for different reasons, such as payment method and currency route.

Our company is built on transparency, including details our Support agents provide. I'm sorry that your experience with Support has been inadequate. Our goal is to get you the information you need when you need it.

Patrick

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TransferWise?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I had good experience with TransferWise in the past, but as of lately they have introduced additional questions like the origin of funds WHILE the transaction is in process. This caused their system crash more than one time and resulted in duplicate transactions. Also, their emails come a day or so AFTER you make a transaction so, unless you see the website say "your transaction has initiated" (and in my case the site crashed and nothing appeared) there is no way to know that the money is sent.

Tried to resolve it with 3 reps, nothing, until finally the last one in the US said, nothing we can do, you have to ask the recipient to refund you the money. No answer to 3 or 4 emails, nothing. Representatives in Europe use internet phones with terrible connection, every word comes back with an echo, they are polite though, but not much help. There has to be some protocol for erroneous transactions, but apparently there is none with TransferWise, so be prepared to lose a large amount IF their website crashes.

Hi Elena,

Good day, thanks for taking the time to give your feedback. We definitely want your experiences to keep improving, not degrading.

To remain compliant, there are times we have to ask for additional information as we are a licensed financial institution.

I'm sorry about the issue with the phone quality, we do use VOiP and this can be impacted by internet issues.

I hope you'll find value from our product and your experiences will meet your high expectations.

Patrick

Original review: May 26, 2018

These people are full of ego. Your transfer information will go to wrong email addresses, compromising your privacy. When complaining about it, they will use their powers to stop/block your account just to feed their own ego. The customer service operators will provide you with wrong, misleading and deceptive information in terms of your account details, such as address verifications, ID verifications etc etc. The managers will disconnect the call on your face.

I realized my money was never safe in their hands as they let people transfer money via their platform without verifying their identity and details in full. You would notice that the app is too easy to use but it comes at a cost. The security of your money and the privacy of your transfer information. An app that lets people transfer money internationally without verifying their identity in full and send account related information to wrong email accounts cannot be a safe online portal to be used for overseas money transfer. I wanted to get in touch with the head office of TransferWise to escalate my concerns but no one from TransferWise provided the contact number or email address of their head office. They can’t be trusted. Never again.

Hi Rakesh,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that your experience was below standards. That is not the experience we want customers to have.

We strive to keep your information safe, and verify customers as part of their sign on process and transfer flow. This has to be done in order to keep in compliance with the licenses we carry. I am sorry you feel as if this was not secure enough or misleading.

TransferWise Support

Original review: May 24, 2018

I am NOT a client of TransferWise. However to cut a long story short - We as a business received proof of payment from TransferWise that funds were meant to arrive on the 26th April. I found out the sender missed a digit in the account number!! Now TransferWise is saying "If an incorrect account number was used then the money is going to bounce back to TransferWise. When this happens or if it already has, then the sender can update the details and we'll be able to process the transfer." The sender refuses to reply to our emails requesting the above!

Then TransferWise says "Our system recognizes that the account number is incorrect only if there is something really wrong (that certain bank does not have accounts with digits that long or short, etc). Proof of payout shows that we sent out the payment to the bank, but it could be 1) stuck in their system because there is nothing that matches with the numbers sent to them, 2) money gets deposited to a wrong bank account because they do not check if the name and account number matches. In most cases money does bounce back to us, but that is only in cases when the bank realizes something is wrong and rejects the payment."

Clearly this should not be my problem that the sender even is allowed to put in the incorrect account number/miss a digit - Surely their system shouldn't allow this!! No one from TransferWise is bothering to contact the sender on my behalf and tell them to resolve the issue! They won't help me or give me information because they say I need to be a member!! So now we sit with funds unpaid and neither the sender nor TransferWise will take responsibility for it!

Hello Stacey,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you had issues with the money being sent to you. As you're aware, we can't provide many details to the recipient, but we can absolutely send an email to the sender asking them to follow up with the issue.

If you would consider it, please reach out to our support either by email at support@transferwise.com or by calling us. Our contact numbers are here: https://transferwise.com/contact

TransferWise Support

Original review: April 10, 2018

I'm trying to transfer money to hold a bed and breakfast in the Netherlands. This process has been a complete nightmare, taken an incredible amount of time, and I wouldn't recommend their service to anyone! First, they didn't get the money there on time. I started the transfer on the 7th, they guaranteed delivery on the 9th, and on the 10th they were still asking security questions. Second, the security questions they asked were frightening! They wanted me to verify my dad's occupation. Then they wanted to know all my sources of wealth including inheritance and investments.

Third, their on-line interface is deceptive about how much the transfer actually costs. Depending on the type of transfer you pay a higher fee. However, they don't allow you to go easily go back and change amounts. The site is very cumbersome. Fourth, they only write back every 24 hours, and so if there is a problem you can't fix it in a timely fashion. Only use this service if you are desperate! They have some issues they haven't worked out. It will take a ton of time and you will be asked many personal questions!

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback, both good and bad experiences. I'm sorry to see that you're not satisfied with TransferWise. We are a licensed financial institution, so based on certain criteria, we may ask for additional details. I am sorry you felt frightened and deceived, that's the exact opposite feeling we want customers to have. If we can do anything more, please let us know.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I had struggled so much with Azimo, Western Union and OFX, been disappointed so much then nearly lost my hope for money transfer technology until I read about TransferWise and decided to give a last try. The Apps is very easy to use, reasonable cost and speedy. I recommend TransferWise!

Original review: March 22, 2018

They canceled my transfer without explaining why. Not a good customer service, I had to wait for 3 days to get a reply from that company. Later I got a respond: "Thank you for reaching out regarding your account deactivation. We are more than happy to consider reactivating your account however we first have to make sure your account is secure and your identity on TransferWise has been confirmed. You can confirm your identity by replying to this email with following: Photo or a good, colored scan of your photo ID. Photograph of yourself (selfie) while holding your photo ID up, close to your face. General guidelines about what we want to see on your photo ID and what type of ID’s are considered secure enough for confirming your identity, can be found here and instructions how to take the selfie photo and what needs to be visible on it can be found here.

Once we have seen your photo ID and your selfie photo, we can confirm your identity and be confident that your account is completely secure before you continue using it. In the meantime, please accept our apologies for the ongoing inconvenience that this may cause you." They must be crazy. I will send copy of my ID to some JOE BLOW. USE WIRECASH service, less expensive and money got transferred within 10 minutes!!! Just read other review, they had done it to many other customers.

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We are a licensed financial institution and verify ID's to be compliant. Account deactivation's can occur due to a number of reasons. Some of the reasons include but are not limited to security concerns, violation of our ToU agreement, attempts to buy banned or illegal goods, attempts to buy crypto currency and detection of multiple accounts being used by same individual.

TransferWise Support

Original review: March 9, 2018

I'm extremely disappointed with the customer service given to me on the past 2 weeks. I have been a faithful user of the system and indicated it to a lot of people and now I'm have the feeling of being left with no solution for my problems. I'm overseas and send money using the app last Friday and paid the boleto on the same day. Monday - I call customer service asking about the transaction and the person told me that it would be transferred as soon as they the money was received. By this time I asked if they need any document because I have urgency and need the money as soon as possible.

The TransferWise employee told clearly that it would not be needed any additional document and I would receive the money as soon as the money arrive. (Please check the phone recording) Tuesday - I receive the request via email from customer service, saying that I need to send my tax paying document OR my 3 months payslip, contrary to the employee has told me on the day before. I sent the 3 months payslip on the same day. Wednesday - I call customer service again, and it was confirmed to me that the document sent was enough and the money would be transferred. Thursday - I receive a email requesting my taxpayer report, even though on the previous email they requested one OR the other.

I sent the document. Friday - I receive an email asking for a copy of my document and proof of address. HOW COME NONE HAVE ASKED ME FOR THIS BEFORE? This is such a basic information. I feel like I'm being part of some joke, this is the only way I can make sense on this nonsense. Therefore, I tried to contact the company again, and talk to someone that is able to take a decision and actually tell me what is going on. I was unable to go any further and I felt like I was being served by a robot that kept repeating the same information.

Now I still have no idea of when I will receive my money, I'm overseas with no money on my account for more than a week because I relied on TransferWise to take care of my money. There is no reasonable explanations on why the customer service is not able to answer simple questions for the requirements. The feeling I have right now is that the company is playing with my money while I spend 2 weeks without money. For a company that deal with your money, the police of contact only by email or with a helpless customer service is a pretty serious stuff.

Hello Rafael,

My apologies for the issues you dealt with regarding your transfer. Verification can come throughout a customer's relationship with us. I am sorry we didn't explain the verification better. This isn't satisfactory. We appreciate your feedback and take it very serious. Please let us know if we can help further.

TransferWise Support

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Just great! I use it every month to pay my rent in Brazil with no issues. The money comes quickly fast and they do it at a fair price. It is so easy and customer service has been great when I have had a problem! Highly recommend!!! Especially if you are doing individual payments on a regular basis from US accounts to another country.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We use TransferWise every month to send money to our family in India. The mobile application as well as the online portal are very user-friendly. Especially love features, such as, saved recipients, daily exchange rate alerts, secure connections to bank accounts from within the app, guaranteed exchange rates and so much more! The exchange rates are always accurate and the fees seems minimal when compared to the ease and user experience. Also, they sometimes offer free transfers on special events. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

For a little less than what my bank would charge me and for a LOT less pain and annoyance, I can use TransferWise to send money abroad reliably and safely. Only thing I wish they had is a recurring transfer feature so I don't have to think about it!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

This service is not only competitive when compared to the fees that banks charge, which are often less transparent because the bank fees are included in the exchange rate, but has a high level of ease and convenience when sending the same amount on a periodic basis, such as monthly. The website interface is designed specifically to make repeated transfers easy and quick.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I've recommended TransferWise to many friends, and I've started to use it regularly. It works well, and is much SAFER than carrying cash from one place to another. For me, Transferwise is one of the companies/services that represents the new, improved, more efficient world made possible by the internet.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I retired after working 14 years in Europe and moved back to California. I continue to use my bank account in Spain and always count on TransferWise to move funds to me wherever I am. They are fast, efficient and reliable. Five Stars from me!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I needed a way to transfer money from USA to France to pay bills at a low cost via my phone and laptop and this service is very well done. The cost is very low and the user interface for my phone and web are very simple and clean looking to use.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

There was quite a bit of paperwork required for the first transfer; they have to get it for banking regulations so give yourself some time for that first one. After that, fast, efficient and MUCH cheaper than the bank! Have used to send money from both personal and business accounts and highly recommend their service.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

TransferWise is a very reliable, trustworthy, efficient, cost effective way to transfer funds internationally. We send money to relatives in S. America and the service has saved us time and money since we have been using it. Highly recommended for international transfers. Responsive customer service is a highlight of their service. Easy to use platform. Very reasonable fees. I have recommended it to friends and family.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

A financial system that really works without bleeding you out... or boring you to death while waiting. I've used it several times to exchange and transfer moneys between US and EU accounts. It works. It's fast (usually 24 hours or less). It's the least expensive (low commissions). And it is convenient, as one can initiate transfers anytime, anywhere... Recommended!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I am looking forward for a border-less account. It has been taking too long. Also, I would like to be able to transfer faster. Is there more improvement on speed available? Sometimes the transfer takes up to 5 business days. A couple of times, the transfer was even cancelled because it took too long. Would love to see this go away! Overall, a great service and Thank You!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

TransferWise is a wonderful, easy and fast way to transfer money for a low price. I have always been satisfied with their fast service. I have never had any problems with their service. I am looking forward to using TransferWise in the future.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

TransferWise has been so useful. It is a simple process and sign up takes minutes to complete. I have been using them for just over a year now and they have always been very reliable. I have heard of other services but the simplicity and reliability of TransferWise has kept me around! Would definitely recommend to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I use to rely on local banks to transfer money overseas but not anymore. I can now use TransferWise for the same service but for a fraction of the cost and consistent speed and accuracy. Consider this the Uber of money transfer. Just love it.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Since I started using TransferWise, they have become my preferred method for transferring my own money between Australia and USA. It was easy to get my receiving account verified, and with that done, it is a very simple process to set up a transfer. I then use Internet banking to transfer the funds to TransferWise and the money is in my account within 2-3 days. As their advertising states, it is cheaper and faster than any other method that I know of.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

This application really made transferring money easy for our needs. It is easy and reliable. It makes transferring money an easy process and the procedure is fast and accurate. Especially for family members that in another country and need to make the transfer fast and easy. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Since a friend introduced TransferWise to me, I have been using them for all my foreign transfers. While my bank always skin me on the exchange rate, TransferWise offers open market rate. Yes they charge a percentage of the transfer as fee (close to 1%), but the profit my bank makes on the exchange rate is much bigger than that. Also both my bank and the receiving bank charge a fee for the wiring. Now there is no longer a wiring fee. All in all I save money in using TransferWise, and feel much better that the big banks can no longer rip me off when I transfer my own money. I am waiting for the day that I can walk into a foreign bank (or ATM) and withdraw money from my US account through TransferWise.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been using TransferWise for 12 months now using it on a monthly basis. It provides excellent currency transfer rates, paying it directly into my bank account in a consistent timely manner with good email progress reports. I would totally recommend and plan to continue using their service.

TransferWise expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TransferWise is a web-based money transferring company founded out of frustration due to the lack of a global currency. With a TransferWise personal or business account, you can send money around the world, paying real exchange rates and small fees.

• Personal accounts: Transferring money with a bank costs more because banks set their own exchange rates so they can make money. TransferWise uses real exchange rates, known as mid-market rates. You can see real-time exchange rates on their website, as well as charts of exchange rates over the past 30 days. TransferWise boasts a savings of as much as 8 times more than when using a bank.

• Multi-currency account: TransferWise has a new account called a multi-currency account. This account lets you send, spend and receive money in over 25 currencies. Also called a borderless account, these are great for businesses with employees around the world. You can easily switch between currencies and avoid high exchange rates.

• Pricing: TransferWise does not charge monthly or receiving fees. They charge small converting fees when you convert across currencies, a small fixed fee when you send money to a bank account in the same currency and the normal conversion fee plus a small fixed fee when you send money to a bank account of a different currency. The normal conversion fee is $1.30.

• Global impact: TransferWise is used in 59 countries covering 504 currency routes. It moves over 600 million dollars every month and saves people around 287 million dollars in hidden charges.

• Mobile app: TransferWise has a mobile app for iOS and Android devices so you can track and transfer money on the go.

• Best for: businesses with employees around the world who don’t want to pay high exchange rates.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs