2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.9/5 (1605 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I bought a money order and sent it as a gift. It was misplaced during the holiday season. This was 12/12/20. The business that sold it to me cancelled it so that the wrong person did not cash it. I started a claim to retrieve my $$$. I was told that it had been cashed. Lie. Eventually the money order was found and returned to me. I was told not to send the $15 processing fee to begin the process to retrieve my funds. Held up AGAIN. I have sent the $15 processing fee. They said if the money order was NOT cashed again to check back on February 24, 2021. This will soon be 3 months of red tape. Never again. You can go to your local post office and keep your receipt and after 30 days, they refund your money if you have a problem with a money order.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Big companies such a Western Union should not be allowed to withdraw services arbitrarily. I am willing to go through whatever process is required. But they do not want to entertain me and hide behind following the law nonsense. The truth is that companies like these are committing fraud etc on a big scale!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Even selecting one star for them is too bad.. They are filled with fraud people. Me and my husband are trying to track a transaction with these guys from past 6 months now but there is no action from their side. They have fraud department just for the sake of it which is of no use. So we saw an email that a transaction happened from our account which we didn't do, so we called them and told about it, all they said, "It's not paid off yet but it's locked and we cannot see this so please call us next day," we called them next day and they said, "You are too late to call and we cannot do anything, other than reporting it to our fraud department." So this fraud department came to picture where all the illiterate people are sitting and doing nothing. So they said, "Ok let us report the case and you contact your local sheriff." That it, nothing else.

Now we asked question since the id address itself is not matching how this transaction happened, so this guy from fraud department said, "We don't match address or didnt need any id. All we need is name." :P So any one can go and use some random name and collect the money. So guys let's go and get the money from this bank.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

When doing a bank transfer they are now not only asking question to identify you and the receiver but are asking what the money is being used for. This isn't ok. None of Western Union's business and if you don't answer it they cancel/refund the transaction. Customer service or complaints don't do anything. They literally say their is nothing they can do.... Could you imagine your bank asking you what you were using it for and being able to deny you your funds? This is outrageous!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

On March 2020, I went to Western Union inside the store to pay my property taxes as required by my bank. Let it be known that I sent just under $1k for my taxes. Unfortunately it was sent to the wrong address/bank by the person handling my transaction. The following day I contacted western union and since then I have been calling every week requesting for my money. They utilize the same phone verbiage of either, “it has been escalated and a representative will call you within 24-72 hours.” Or “A check has been sent and will take 30 days to receive.” If a check has been sent then why are they still making me wait 24-72 hours to find out what the status is? This is pathetic and ridiculous.

It has been 9 months that I have been waiting for my reimbursement. I just called and again same verbiage, "You called two days ago. Give it another day two.” It’s the same every week. Why is it so hard for the company to reimburse me my money when I have provided the tracking number, case number and check number they sent to the wrong bank. They should be reimbursing me with interest for taking this long.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Western Union takes my money gladly, but treats me like I need them and not like I am a customer. They say money is ready for pickup and then when you arrive it is magically now on hold. Call their customer service to confirm both parties are involved in the transfer and it is my money. Customer service treats you like a fraud suspect and not like a customer. They want to know exactly what you are using your money for. Are they giving me a loan?! It was my money to begin with! Customer service is very rude and will put you on hold if you don't answer your entire life story. They will tell you they can refund your money if you don't like it, but doesn't that mean you know who I am? So am I not verified providing you will all my information? Will never use again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I was to receive $200 sent on November 13, 2020. Today is December 8, and I still haven't been able to retrieve the funds. I've gone to 4 different locations on at least 3 occasions to collect the funds. Each time I am told, I could not receive funds only send funds. I chat with a representative with the online help link, but they are unable to resolve the issue. Representative told me I must call the customer service number. I called customer service and spoke with a representative for 13 minutes.

The rep should have done an electronic transfer to my account, but he had to speak with management. He asked me to hold on for a moment, but he disconnected the line. On a 4th attempt to collect the money at a store, I put in the requested information at a kiosk only to receive a message stating the sender's information is incorrect. While in the store, I confirmed with the sender that her name is correct. I clicked the chat link to be told, the sender must contact Western Union. This has been the worst experience ever to receive money from any transfer service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Do NOT use Western Union in Mexico! A pigeon would have been faster and more reliable. Tried for 10 days and 5 different occasions to get my money and multiple locations refused to give me the funds. Western Union makes promises and their local offices refuse to honor them. Super frustrating waste of time and never got my money. Sender had to cancel the transfer and they still kept $15US.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

This review would be 0 stars if possible. Apparently WU recently instituted a new policy which constitutes harassment and intrusion into personal affairs. A money transfer to my family in China which was repeated over a year was suddenly rejected. I spent 2 hours getting to compliance dept. which finally told me they were just checking for possible fraud and there was no issue nor new info required. My money was tied up for 10+ days and they finally returned it. I had been assured by the first contact that I should not have this problem again.

The second time, after 4 days I saw the transfer had not gone through and I had to call. The rep started asking personal questions about how long I knew the transferee (my wife) and even how we contacted each other, when last seen etc. Utter arrogance! This despite the record of probably 20 transfers in their system. I finally gave up answering their personally intrusive questions and told them to cancel and return my money. This will be another 10 day wait for me to send my money (using Xoom) to my wife for family expenses.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Despite being a customer for many years and using Western Union to transfer money frequently to the same party, lately this service has begun freezing my transfers, keeping them in pending status for too many days.

Western Union Company Information