2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Worked well, unless the machine was broken. Which was more often than not. Always had to go to Walmart or Walgreens to send money. Other than that, everything was fine.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

The worst money transfer experience in life. First of all, they charge you a huge amount of service fees. Then they won't transfer your money. They queue for an hour and a half on the waiting line and in the end they won't let you transfer any money. Completely pointless service provider. Not recommended to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Sending small-ish amounts regularly to Vietnam, I thought WU was safe and easy. It turns out not to be either. I was able to make debit card transfers and thought the speed was great. Then I tried a bank to bank transfer.... bad idea. The recipient bank refused the transfer for no reason. WU called me with "compliance" questions that were delivered with the friendly edge of a middle-eastern interrogator. Today, my WU account was hacked with 2 debit card transactions and one bank account fraudulent transaction. I was advised to close my WU account and continue the transaction by opening a new one with the same information. Sounded simple, but WU had blocked my debit card and refused other forms of funds. So, it seems as though WU isn't up to the task of secure services. Thank goodness we have options.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have been sending money to a federal prisoner (a relative) for nearly 1 1/2 yrs, same credit card. In early Oct. 2020, WU refused to transfer any more money that I send to this relative regardless of how I wish to send money, online or in person. I completed a special WU form and answered a number of questions that WU said it needed to verify I am who I say I am. Why all of the sudden? Even with all the info I sent WU, it still will not let me use online email and has even blocked me from sending cash in person at WU agents. Instead, try MoneyGram or better yet write your congressional representative and senators and let them know that most families struggle to send a few dollars a week to help their loved one's life a little better but paying outrageous rates for simple money transfers. Moreover, look at the rapacious charges for money transfers. About 10% or greater just to electronically transmit funds. Don't use WU.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

WU stole my money. They took my transfer with the added fee of sending it via their "Money in Minutes" They asked me a bunch of dumb questions and said it was for reasons of fraud. When they finally released the money after being on hold with their customer service, they refused to give me back the extra fee for sending it via their "Money in Minutes". They also informed me that this is their policy and their right, and they can do whatever they want. After reading all the negative reviews I'll never use this company ever again. I hope they go bankrupt.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

This company has the worst service. Called five times to talk to a supervisor. All five time the Representative hung up on me. I'll never send money again with this Company. Again they are not helpful at all to issues. Really need customer service training.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

As before I sent money to my family in law in DRC. This time however, the transfer was blocked for "safety and fraud" reasons. After answering several questions and pointing to the fact that this was customary for the last decade, several times a year, I got a call back the transfer was canceled and a refund issued. Asked for the reason, it just seems there is no logic or consistency in the judging of a transfer, so WU is technically not trustworthy nor reliable for transfers. No wonder WU is getting routed out in Europe, as it acts typically the American way, not thinking critically or logically. We found a better and less expensive service in Europe that will do the job.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

The money nannies at WU denied my $2,000 transfer to my fiance in Ukraine based on the fact they think we're committing fraud. I tried initially via the website which is what I've always done, and it denied the transaction (and no reason was given). I was forced to go to a bank, withdraw the money, then drive to the nearest WU location 30 miles away, because the locations WU lists on their websites are out-of-date/incorrect. Then when I found out my fiance could not get the money I had to call their customer service, where I spoke with some Hispanic woman with an irritating voice that kept saying she couldn't understand me. I had to answer 10 annoying questions about the purity of my motives in sending the money. Finally, after being on hold another 10 minutes, they denied the transaction.

They have no right to cancel transactions for valid members/senders and make anyone answer questions they have no right to ask, and it's not their place to save people from themselves. If you can't protect yourself from fraud and depend on others to do it for you, you deserve what you get. This isn't 1950, and Western Union isn't a division of the U.S. government, no matter how much they'd like to pretend to be. There are other, better services now to use, and with lower fees.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

We have been using WU for at least a year now to pay rent. My landlord informed me in July that his wife misplaced the money order and if we could get a refund and try again. We went to their website, tracked down the process on how to start the refund process. They have two options, mail in a form with a money order $15 for processing or wait for the $15 to be taken out of the amount you need refunded.

The other refund process is filling out the form and emailing it in. So that is what we did. 7/20/20 is when we sent the first email. We called to see if they received it and told us to wait 5 days and call back. Waited 5 days called back and someone else said 8 business days. So we waited and waited and finally gave them a call back. Was told they hadn’t received it via email and we should send it again. Sent a second email 8/7 and a third 9/8. Still saying they haven’t received it. I called today and now it’s being escalated. This is simply unacceptable. I refuse to just let this go.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

on July 16, 2020 I was trying to make a purchase online to get a laptop and camera. I was inform from the merchant to send the money to Western Union. I did and I never received my item so I can't get my money but after I explained that it's apparent that I was fraud out of my money. I call Western Union and explained everything to them and they told me that they will not refund my money even after I gave them all the information regarding what happened. My bank will not refund the money either because they said that Western Union must refund the money.

I have done business through Western Union before and never had any issues but the one time things didn't work out they act like they can't refund your money. How is it that when you send money the person on the other end receiving must show their ID so if there is a dispute Western Union should be able to contact the party to help the sender but unfortunately Western Union refused to do that so I'm now out if 1000 dollars. If a company cannot help or give you insurance that these things will not happen to you then don't do business with them.

Western Union Company Information