3.45/5
Based on 1,416 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Western Union

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

1015 Western Union Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I used WU online service and it was very stressful. It took 5 weeks for my money to be refunded following numerous calls and emails! Upon completion of money transfer, I received an email requesting further details of the recipient. This was more than the basic of bank details and name. They requested the recipient's personal details, such as a copy of passport/country ID card, D.O.B, occupation and work address, country of birth, home address, relationship to myself, etc. Basically, WU requested enough information to commit identity fraud, and a clear GDPR breach. I won't be using their service again!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I sent 250.00 US dollars to Canada Aug 23, 2019. The recipient should have collected approximately 332.00 Canadian dollars per the current exchange rate instead they received 282.40 the difference of 49.60 that Western Union charged and when I called them to report it the man said they make up their own exchange rates to justify this very unfair money exchange rate. They should be held accountable for stealing people money.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have spent about 6 hours trying to send money to a friend in Ghana. The website is so hard to use, and you get rejected at every turn. I finally got through the process after trying every option, only to have Western Union call me and say they cannot approve my transfer of $100!!! They would not tell me why they cancelled it, either! They recommend going to a local WU location. I guess they make more money that way. Stupid!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

They charge such high fees for their services however there is no customer service. I been trying for 2 months to receive transaction history, calling them daily, speaking to different people, can’t reach the actual department which does this job. They keep on sling me for the same information I have already provided. I have a feeling that there is no customer service department and there are just some call agents who answer me and every time different people and they just respond to my email with the same requests to send me anything.... I am horrified how such a big fees company don’t have a department who take care of their customers. Very bad for the company.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Very poor service for receiving a copy of pay history. Have to submit copy of bills and license to hear twice that they couldn't see it and it was clear when I emailed it from FedEx I wanted it sent to address on file.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I sent $2000 and I assumed a real exchange rate on that day ~1USD = 110 for the transaction like in the past few years I sent money back. However, the transaction was done at 1USD = 101, so that amounted to ~$200 for this transaction. Western Union offers this reduced rate, however, upon calling customer service they can provide no documentation as to why rates are so low. I suggest to stay away from Western Union and use other services such as TransferWise where they ask for a flat fee and the real exchange rate. Will not use Western Union and will alert everyone I know to stay away from WU. This is borderline fraud!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I buy parts from India. Some sellers require Western Union. After 1 good transfer the seller sent the parts just as promised. I sent another a month later he said he can't pick it up. I check the tracking number and it says available for pickup. I call WU they say I have been blocked. I need to request a reinstatement. They send me a form that asks all about who and why I'm sending $200. So I send it out with the required invoice. Couple weeks later... "We have reviewed your reinstatement request and have decided to uphold our previous decision on this matter. This means Western Union will not accept any money transfers from you as sender and will not pay out any money transfers to you as receiver." As a military officer I would think I could send $200 without being accused of criminal activity. So again... Western Union is no longer an option for me forever?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Hey. You tried charging me 40 ** dollars to send money in America to America. You're gonna lose a lot of customers you **. I send money 2-3 times a week. It went from 8 to 12 to 19. Today they tried 40. ** you. MoneyGram, etc, Walmart gonna get my business. The cashier tell even laughed at the 40 dollars. I'm in Tennessee sending it to Arkansas. She said she sent 1000 overseas for 8 dollars. Yo wtf. #WesternUnion

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

After my experience with WU, I will not use it again. I had to cancel a transaction and wasn't given a code to get my money returned. I had paid with a debit card. It took me several hours, and several phone calls to WU's Denver headquarters, to get a code that I could use to get my refund. On a second transaction, which was also paid by debit card, I received a call from the cash store where I had made the transaction. Western Union claimed the money from the debit card had incorrectly been given back to me.

I had to prove, by showing the store's manager a screenshot of my bank transactions, that I had not received a refund. She was apologetic and friendly. She explained that WU wanted to charge me again, claiming it had not received the cash from my account. Based on these two transactions, and all the effort and time needed to resolve these situations, which were the fault of WU, I WILL NOT USE IT AGAIN. The cash store outlet was not at fault. It was all down to incorrect protocol/sloppiness and unbusinesslike behaviour of WU.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

First of all they ask for all information about you including your social security number in order to receive as little as $380. The way this company works is the old fashion, If you are sending more than $300 you have to use a bank which is very inconvenient since banks are open from 9 to 5 and closed on weekends and not many banks are affiliated, definitely this is the last time I use this service, and I'm making sure all my friends and relatives know about my experience so they will never do business with this company.

Western Union Company Information