2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

3.9/5 (1710 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: March 9, 2021

THIS SERVICE IS RIDICULOUS!! Can't collect the money anywhere (shops that are open). WE HAVE WAITED 6 DAYS FOR ANY PLACE TO SEE IF IT WORKS!!!! And charging £32 for the transfer NOT REFUNDABLE???! Telephone service very poor. Not helpful at all!!

Original review: March 5, 2021

Brazilian living in the US and sending Money through Western Union, be aware. I just got the full report of my last online transaction which you have to request. I saw that the Western Union exchange rate for the total dollar amount I sent was at 4.9 Brazilian Real to a dollar, different from the one that they had estimated, 5.28 Brazilian Real to a dollar. However, the exchange rate was averaging 5.46 on Feb 13, 2021, the date the transaction was completed. I was okay with the 5.28 Brazilian Real but very upset that they went down even more and it was not clear at first in their estimate. They never gave me an estimate of 4.9 Brazilian Real to a dollar.

They have a disclaimer that the receiver may receive less due to the receiver's country's government taxes and local banks rule but it does not say Western Union will exchange at a lower rate than they had estimated after the transaction is completed. Very deceiving. The worse is that the money gets exchange again in Brazil, the local Bank again exchanged the Money once again even at a lower rate, 3.7 Brazilian Real to a dollar which does not make any sense. Big loss for me and they are also losing a long-standing customer!

Original review: March 3, 2021

Western Union is the worst, most unreliable money transfer service I have ever used. They will hold your transactions for months without any reason. Avoid this service at all cost! It's not worth the hassle.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Stop using Western Union. I was scammed???? And I reported the matter at my earliest possible convenience and all I received was an email stating that I was ineligible without any given reason as to why.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I was denied a transfer of funds due to fraudulent activity in the area I wanted to send money to. I understand that fraud happens but it's MY money to send where I WANT to. It would be my loss not anyone else's. They also took my money out of my account and send an email stating the money was available to the receiver. Then they made me call for a review. Denied my transfer and I won't get my money back for 7 days. I won't be recommending Western Union to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I tried to make a transfer on 01/31, the amount was deducted from my (sender's) bank account within 30 minutes, however, the receiver did not receive the amount as of today 02/22/21. As of today, I have called WU customer care 3 times (average 40 min call time). I was told that yes the dispute case has been filed, and that, "You will receive your money within 24 hours." I have been hearing this assurance for about a week now, still NO REFUND. FAKE ASSURANCES ARE GIVEN. NO VALUE FOR CUSTOMER'S TIME AND MONEY.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

STOP USING WESTERN UNION. THEY ARE A RIPOFF. Sent $1000 express to Brazil on Feb 8, 2021. The exchange rate that day was between the low of 5.31 and high of 5.36 reais to the dollar. Western Union showed the exchange rate that they were paying to be 5.28 reais per dollar. When the money hit the account they only paid 4.95 reais per dollar. What a ripoff. I called to question this and they opened up a case #** and told me they would tell me their findings in 24 to 48 hrs.

Called back 3 days later and they told me that they did not have the amount that was received and needed it to investigate. I had provided that the first time I called. Now they told me would take another 24 to 48 hrs. Called again today (2 days later) and got the song and dance that there was a Brazilian govt tax and that the exchange rate that day was 4.95 reais. I ended up losing the $2.99 fee plus $62 with the lowball exchange rate. I strongly recommend not to use Western Union.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I sent maximum £100 every couple of months as a gift and they keep blocking my account. Despite I've been sending for 14 years and they have all my ID so I'm a verified sender. They can suddenly block my account whenever it suit them. Very frustrating because someone need this small money. It's obviously for food. What can you buy with $100? Drugs and weapons? That's terrible how they pick up in the poor people. I'm very disappointed with them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I bought a money order and sent it as a gift. It was misplaced during the holiday season. This was 12/12/20. The business that sold it to me cancelled it so that the wrong person did not cash it. I started a claim to retrieve my $$$. I was told that it had been cashed. Lie. Eventually the money order was found and returned to me. I was told not to send the $15 processing fee to begin the process to retrieve my funds. Held up AGAIN. I have sent the $15 processing fee. They said if the money order was NOT cashed again to check back on February 24, 2021. This will soon be 3 months of red tape. Never again. You can go to your local post office and keep your receipt and after 30 days, they refund your money if you have a problem with a money order.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Big companies such a Western Union should not be allowed to withdraw services arbitrarily. I am willing to go through whatever process is required. But they do not want to entertain me and hide behind following the law nonsense. The truth is that companies like these are committing fraud etc on a big scale!

Western Union Company Information