1.1/5 (50 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: April 2, 2022

I had a problem sending money and called customer service two times. People from customer service sent me two times to "robot" answering phones. it was very hard to hear, the agent's voice was interrupted all the time. Western Union Customer Service absolutely useless. I tried different solutions and solved this problem myself.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I purchased three money orders in the amounts of 300, 300 and 205. Ultimately the m.o. did not make it to their destination, I'm assuming due to our postal service. Nevertheless, Western Union was able to issue refund checks for each m.o. for a fee of 15.00 each. Once I received the checks I was unable to deposit them into my bank account because they would not accept that "type of check". I then went to three different check cashing agencies in my area and was unable to cash them because they are apparently "starter checks". This is when my nightmare really began. Long story short, all western union could do was reissue the same check that no one will cash. I was hung up on literally eight times. I asked for a supervisor on four separate times and was placed on indefinite holds. On my last call I was placed on hold until customer service closed. Called the next day (3/25/22) and got the same "reissue check" script. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 18, 2022

This isn't the only time I've had problems with these guys. I accidentally sent money to a scammer and now I can't even send money to my wife because I need an "evaluation". Such discrimination but these pukes will let's scammers use it all day long

Original review: March 16, 2022

It's a rip off. They give rip off exchange rates. Like now March 16/2022, in the market USD to CAD is 1.27. They are giving 1.18 only. They are ripping almost 10% of the money. I do not advise any body to use them. I will advise my people never to use their service.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The worst service what ever had. Sent money to help people in Ukraine. Tried 2 times but they never got it. Tried to call service for the 3 days, was told that somebody from the head office will contact me within 48 hours but nobody even bother to do this. Called again, was on a phone for 2 hours, they transferred me to 6 different agents, and nobody was able to help. Everything what I heard - I am so sorry!!! I did not get an answer why transaction was cancelled, I could not to take my money back!! If you don't want to go through a huge stress, avoid this service at any cost!

Original review: March 1, 2022

Trying to send money to my wife but this useless WesternUnion doesn’t allow me to send, asking 100s of questions and ID etc but still not trusting use this service for past 10 years. Every time I try to send they have given me hard time. No more WesternUnion

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

It was a bit of a hassle sending money through the app. They didn't receive the money right away like it was supposed to. The agent cannot help you over the phone which I believe was from the call center in the Philippines and the supervisor I spoke with was rude and not customer friendly. I hope they do better next time. I’ve never had a problem with Remitly online and would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

If your transfer goes through, the service is fine. If not, watch out as you will be plunged into a customer service nightmare. The initial interaction will be with a representative who seems intent on spending the least amount of time with you and will not listen to your actual problem. If it involves a transfer from the US to another country, they are even worse, "we only work on US" they will answer and will not give you any answer how to get the help you need. Or they may say your transfer cannot go through because of "corporate policy." Can I ask what that means? It means it is the company policy they will answer. But what was it about the transfer you ask? They will answer, "it is corporate policy."

If you push they will give you a case number and maybe an email to send information to. Then that comes back with "it is corporate policy" and if you need more information, "please get in touch with our customer service." It seems their customer service experience is intended to serve as a taste of what being condemned to purgatory or h*ll might be like. Suggestion - avoid Western Union when possible. I have switched to MoneyGram for the transfers I can and it has been much better.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I attempted to transfer money to a friend in need who is in a different state. Everything seemed fine until she attempted to pick up the money. The store told her to download an app and create an account which she did. Then she proceeded to get an error code. I called customer service three times and each time they said everything was fine even though it obviously was not. I then had to contact them two times by chat with no additional help in solving the issue. After trying for two days to go and pick up and being denied the money, I cancelled it and am waiting for a refund. The only advice the customer service offered was to go to a different location which my friend did. Then customer service said it was because she was in a different state. But there was nothing in the print saying the different state would be an issue.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Bad. Not recommended for anyone. Fat-bellies just do a little. Stunned they have little houses and cars. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO TRY IT. There are new apps like Wise, Ria, and many others are cheaper in 100% new.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

12Jan2022: BEWARE.... I visited 7 dealers more than 11 times and was not paid because Western Union software has been down in past 2 weeks. I contacted WU customer service 4 times now. They refuse to acknowledge the issue and have no resolution for me, although charged me $58 fees for the money transfer! Will file formal complaint with local Ombudsman but want to warn the general public.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I sent money to Ukraine a couple of times before via WU. Tried yesterday and for some reason, my transaction was canceled. When I called customer service they couldn't find the reasons why it was canceled. WU has very high fees and the exchange rate is terrible. I only was using it because I thought maybe it's more reliable.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I was receiving money from my mom but when I tried to get the money Western Union put it on hold to prevent fraud and after asking her many questions they send her a text saying they were putting the money on hold for 5 days. The manager at the store commented that they were having many problems with Western Union. The money that I was receiving was very important for me. When people send money thru Western Union and pay the high fee it's usually because people need the money fast and many times its an emergency. It's great that Western Union wants to prevent fraud by stopping payments that are suspicious of fraud, but by putting the payment in hold for 5 days even when they asked 15 min of questions they are failing to do their job, what if I had an emergency?

Western Union doesn't have a clear policy of when to stop payments their website just says they need to verify the sender's identity but the questions they were asking were intrusive and the decision to keep the payment on hold was made by someone based on his or her own assumption that the money transfer was a scam. I felt like we were being punished for something we didn't do and they basically said they thought my mom had lied to them in order to protect the would be scammers? It's ridiculous and who's going to use a 5 day money transfer anyway? Why Western Union didn't give us a warning? Why they took the money, gave us a code and later cancel the transaction?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Yesterday I transferred money internationally yesterday to be received in minutes like I've normally done but for some reason they reversed the money and cancelled my transaction. When I asked them what happened they claimed my bank declined which I knew was a lie. But when I called my bank they said WU reversed the money for. Whatever reason and then I called them back and they finally admitted their system had a technical issue so they asked me to try making the transfer again later which I did and after it went through I received another email from them stating the money will be received in two days which was crazy and unheard of since I selected the minutes transfer transaction to M-Pesa.

I just spoke to their supervisor Chris who tried to tell me it's the receiver's fault. That the receiver's bank is delaying which again is a lie. This is not the first time I am sending money in minutes but it's the first time Western Union has treated me like am an idiot and like I don't understand ** when I see it. This company I think wants to now sit on our money because it is going broke so it's making its Loyal customers suffer. Please look for other means to send your money because western Union is dying a slow death.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I was in one the Western Union store in Toronto (7053 Yonge St.) to send the money to out of country. one the staff explained to me everything about the app and also helped me to download the app on my phone to send a money with lower fee when you use the app. She was very friendly and helpful and I strongly recommend to everybody to go to same store to use their services.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I had used this company for transfers recently and although had some issues was able to use the service. Just recently I tried to send a small $100 transfer and was denied. I called and after being on hold for an eternity I got someone with a thick accent that was very hard to understand that started to ask me several very personal questions. I told them it was none of their business and they promptly told me my transfer is denied. I tried again later to make the transaction, this time being more cooperative with their outlandish and discriminatory questions and was again denied. I ask why, they cannot tell me. I ask what are your policies and they said they cannot tell me. I asked for their supervisor, and the supervisor said I was denied and can't give me any additional information. I emailed their corporate complaint department and got the same run around with no explanation and that I was denied.

These people charge a considerable fee for their service, which is understood they can't do it for free, but then they gouge you on the exchange rate like a typical Shylock, so they are double dipping on their profits. I will never, ever use Western Union again. Stay away and use the many other companies that can transfer your money for you. They are age and race discriminating transactions.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I sent someone just $100 overseas for a donation. Western Union started asking many questions about the transaction, numerous chat messages and phone calls (all went to offshore call center) and they can't help at all. This is dreadful. I think, everyone should avoid this company. They promise transfer in minutes then stuck for days without any resolution. Going to escalate this issue with state attorney general.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I sent money to my sister and somehow they refused to deliver it, (annoyed I was). I was refunded. In an attempt to still send the funds for my sister I sent the money to my nephew, again they refused to deliver, and they advised me of a refund. My biggest issue is the attitude of the rep on the call line. They need training and empathy to deal with the public. Western Union advertises a remittance service, and they failed to deliver for me and then the employee they hired had the gall to be not only rude but abrasive. I am without a doubt extremely disappointed and will work on avoiding their company moving forward.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I tried numerous times to make a transfer to the Philippines to an individual that was related to my fiance and was declined because of fraud in the area. It's like they were accusing me of being fraudulent with all the security measures in place in today's world. I think that they're unprepared to do business in this world economy.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I've been using WU for sending money to my families in Asia. I never had any issues before, until recently I can no longer send money. I started a small home-based business while we are in the middle of pandemic, and I am using WU to pay my supplier. Western Union doesn't allow me to send money anymore, they requested me to provide information about my past transactions with them. Also requested me to fill out the form of a questionnaire, and even requested for my proof of income, IDs, business permit and other documents. I answered all the questions truthfully and submitted all the required information. I waited a week for their response and unfortunately, they told me that I can no longer send or receive money using WU. They don't have any consideration, as if I am doing something bad or laundering money.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I sent funds through Western Union a couple of days ago. The recipient went to retrieve the funds, and, surprisingly, she was not able to get the money because she did not have proof of COVID vaccination. She informed me immediately. I wanted to get a refund from WU. For the last two days, after calling Western Union about 8 times and getting different addresses where I could get the refund, I have not been able to get the money back $568.00 (US). They sent me to different locations. However, they either did not have the money or the person that could give the refund was not available.

After so many phone calls and contacting 3 supervisors, Western Union told me they could send me a check by regular mail or I could give them my bank information so they could deposit the money in my personal account. The money would be available in about 2 business days. I cannot trust any Western Union process, why would I trust a long distance teller with my bank information when Western Union is holding Funds from me for that long? They have the ability to withdraw from your account in minutes, but they hold refunds for days.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

First experience with Western Union. Signed up for an account. Then I made an 2 online transfers on Monday. Today is Friday. I have in total contacted them 5 times. Just 5 hours ago they said it’s ready to collect which was second time I was told this. Just now on the phone I’ve been told the transfer has been put on hold. That western union would like to see my bank statements and have attempted to email me??!! I’ve received multiple emails in regards to verifying my ID confirming my id has been verified. Customer service emails that I’ve been writing back and forth to but no one contacting me to say we require additional information.

Usually I would think people using western union. The amount transferred isn’t a small amount. Instead of emailing pick up the damn phone and reach out to the customer. Not only been given the wrong information the last few days but delayed the process and now the transactions cancelled by the compliance team costing me my admin fee for the transfer. This is probably how they make money. Scam people to pay the admin fee.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

If I could give 0 stars, I would! They lie to you about getting the "exact exchange rate" after you pay the transaction fee. But then they charged 25% on top of the fee....which is 16% over the actual exchange rate! When I questioned it they told me the exchange rate can change in 10min.... Turns out Western Union set their own exchange rates and change them frequently. I rang customer service and requested my family get the exact money they sent back. Western union said they could send the money back to them for another fee and another lot of currency exchange. I told them I wasn't informed about the changing exchange rate or that WU set their own exchange rate. WU they simply said "buyer beware". I told them I was lied to by the customer representative at the store.... They said I can't prove that.... Western union is a business that thrives of taking advantage of the despite....and they are very comfortable with that!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Everything completely correct on my side here in the US as the sender (acknowledged by their customer service representative on the 800 number) - Website represents that cash can be received in minutes even internationally - NOT TRUE. If the cash is NOT available for the receiver to pick up then technically the transfer did not go through in minutes. Researched carefully where my friend in Puerto Vallarta Mexico could go to pick up the money I needed to send him. Website list dozens of places as Western Union "Agents". Friend went to 4 different locations that would not give him the money and could not give him a reason why.

I finally called Western Union to find out if there was a legitimate Western Union location in Puerto Vallarta. I was given the phone number 01 800 719 8911 for MEXICO WESTERN UNION CUSTOMER SERVICE and was told to give it to the receiver. My friend proceeded to call the number and was told that the problem was that the locations he went did not have enough cash and to go to a large grocery/department store and he would be able to get his cash. NOT TRUE - THE SAME THING HAPPENED. THEY WOULD NOT GIVE HIM THE CASH. He called the 800 number back and was told that I, the sender, needed to call them. I called the number twice and both times was offered a free promotion for a medical alert system! THEY REFUSED TO PUT ME THROUGH TO A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE.

So I call the US 800 number - a complete and total waste of time since this was an "international" transaction - absolutely no help. Offered to cancel the transaction and refund my money - HOWEVER THEY INFORMED ME IT WOULD TAKE 7 DAYS! Keep in mind that they instantly debited my checking account via my debit card. Keep in mind that I still have a friend in Mexico in need of cash!! Total misrepresentation and false advertising.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Very terrible experiences lately in the name of protecting fraud as they claim. WU is being very unintelligent and unreasonable. Been subjected to some humiliating interrogations after sending monies to family members I have sent money to over a decade. They leave you feeling like a criminal or terrorist. Asking some very personal questions and ridiculous questions repetitively and in different ways. All this trouble for sending even a small amount like $60? After sending money to my sick uncle for his medications they ask me why I didn't send it to my mother instead, really?? I am going to Worldremit and thanks to cryptocurrency growing I won't need this garbage company anymore and enjoy much lower remittance fees and no drama.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I have used Western Union for the past 10 years to remit to family, however, the past 2 years dealing western has been a nightmare. This year is was a struggle to get my transaction history for taxes (it took me 3 months go back and forth with western union). This week on Oct 4 I sent money for my son's school fees only to find out western union has cancelled the transaction without notifying me. On Oct 6 I sent the money again via western union only to be told by my relative this morning the transaction did not exist and when I checked my western union account, the transaction had been cancelled yet again (with no notice).

I called the western office only to be told my transactions were cancelled due to financial regulations that no one reached out to be about. Mind you I sent $185 the first time and $450 second time. As it stands, western is holding my $625 hostage even after cancelling the transactions and I have been told it will take up to 7 days to have the money back. Regulations are there for a reason and if you need to enforce them that is fine, however, you owe your customers a responsibility of keeping them informed. This is insane western team, you ought to do better than this. Please refund my $, I need it for my son's school fees.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I have used this service in the past and it was no trouble if I have to transfer any money anytime soon. I would go back with this service. Western Union is the only money transfer I ever use because it is so easy and it takes very little paper work.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Their rates keep going up making it costly to transfer larger amounts. I had a problem on line and called customer service just to be told I had to go to a physical location. The first place couldn’t figure it out so I had to go to another store. I have quit using them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Western Union blocked me after asking me where I was sending my money. I sent it to my son's aunt in Spain to give to him and after a few questions, customer service determined this was a scam! I asked to be reconsidered. Western Union sent me a questionnaire asking my income and paystubs! Really???? I am a customer! You are not doing me a favor. I pay for this service!!!. Outrageous.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Fortunately I was able to keep one of my money orders from my rent and let’s just say it might just be a wasted $500. I can’t believe the roller coaster I have been put on. No one cashes them not even the merchant I got it from. Walmart and Wells Fargo says it’s deposit only. I’m highly disappointed and I understand the fraud guidelines and precautions but this is really disheartening. And no I don’t have a bank. It’s prepaid.

Western Union Company Information