2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.58/5
Based on 2,352 ratings submitted in the last year

Western Union Reviews

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

You'd think WU would use 2 factor authentication or have some sort of personal information for scammers that send themselves $, but they don't! We had some Ukrainian steal money from our account that was able to change passwords and receive money all within 10 mins. Calling WU Fraud Department will do nothing, they will eventually just ask you to report to your "local police". Terrible company without modern security features on their website. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

This is the second time I used this company, and by now I would've thought things have gotten better, but boy was I wrong. Same horrible service. Tried to send money to my father for the holidays but it never made it. They were quick to take the money out of my account without telling me more information was needed before sending. After sending them the proper information play again requested more information that was irrelevant for the sending of the money. I cancel the transaction and three weeks later I still have not received my funds. Western Union is the worst company outdoor for sending money to people. Save yourself the aggravation and Time and use someone else that's more reliable.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I tried to send funds to my Grandson who is visiting in TX from MN. He is a high school student and has a state issued photo ID but no driver's license. He was unable to get the funds because none of the stations he tried would accept the ID. I called WU and customer service said they couldn't help. Only solution they offered was to cancel the transfer and refund the cash. Unfortunately I am out the fees. It would seem that they would have a method to help verify a transaction especially when the sender calls. I would not recommend using WU.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I have canceled my Money transfer on Dec 9, 2019, but they have deducted the money from my bank account and asked to wait for 7 business days. I have called them on the 7th business day but they gave me vague reasons such as to check with my bank and they will not escalate it until I complete 7 business days. After 7 business days, they transferred my call to various teams and told they had to escalate it to a different team and asked me to wait for another 7 business days just for a response, I don't understand what kind of a company is this that they have to wait 7 business days just for a response. It's been close to 3 weeks now and I am not sure when will I get my money back. The customer representatives are not well trained and don't have enough knowledge. I hope I get my money back and this will be the last time I work with WU. Worst company ever.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I decided to send money via WU because is a well known company. Don't fall for it! It takes forever for your money to get to its destination. Every time you call them to ask for a status, you get a different answer for each attendant, so they are making that up. They say that our bank is holding the money, and when I call the bank, they said it was paid days ago, and they have nothing to do with it. The supervisor don't give a crap about what's going on or about the fact that you received a lot of false answers. Be aware! If you need someone to help you get answers there, don't count on it, you will be on your own.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Western Union (WU) has some real problems in making money transfers safe and efficient. I had an emergency situation because my grandmother had passed away at 99 years young, and I needed to travel from California to Georgia to help with burial and funeral preparations. So since I had just paid my mortgage, I didn't have the kind of money needed for a flight with my family to Georgia. My aunt attempted to send me money, and even though it was over $2,000, that is no excuse for poor customer service in an emergency situation.

The first problem was that most pickup places did not have that amount of money on hand. But this makes no sense if you're a business knowing that people can send all kinds of amounts of money to be picked up. So any business working with WU should be able to handle most reasonable amounts. The second problem I ran into was that after I first attempted to pick up the funds, my CA ID was not good enough. All of a sudden another requirement popped on the screen requesting my social security card?

Normally, that would not have been a problem, but this time I had long ago misplaced my social security card. That's purely my fault, but before I went to pick up funds a second time, WU should have informed me that an additional ID requirement was needed. A Check into Cash personnel called a supervisor and opened up the way for me to use my passport in connection with my social security number and a picture of my social I had made just in case I misplaced the original. But of course, the passport had recently expired, so I could not use it. So the Check into Cash supervisor was good enough to allow the photo of my social security card to be used with my CA ID.

But of course another problem arose because once again, a "hold" was put on the transfer after the first failed attempt to pick up the money. After the second try, I figured that it is a standard procedure with WU that if the first attempt to pick up the cash fails, an automatic "hold" is placed on the transfer. What does this mean? It means more insane and absolutely ridiculous delays in getting emergency funds because now the sender is required to call from the phone number that was put on the sending form (nowhere else!!), so that a WU representative can call the sender and "verify" that he or she sent the money to you. In this situation, the sender was sick and had to check out of the hospital to send the money, and then had to deal with all kinds of problems with WU making it too difficult to receive needed funds.

Two representatives were supposed to call the sender, but when I called her I was told that no call came in. So I called WU again and spoke with "Ivan" about 5:41pm. He said he would call, but after an hour or more, still no call was made. I am totally disgusted with the complete and utter incompetence of the transfer of larger amounts via WU. What makes this so absurd is the fact that this cannot be the first time that WU has ever dealt with people trying to send larger amounts. So there can be no excuse for this level of incompetence and asinine customer service.

The funeral is approaching and I'm still stuck in CA and it looks like I might miss my own grandmother's funeral. This is sickening and disgusting, and I am convinced to never ever again use Western Union for any other money transfers. I will do all I can to make sure Western Union never again causes this level of pain and problems for people in emergency situations. I will complain all over social media and make sure WU pays for my pain and emotional distress because people will stop using the service.

So I do not recommend using WU for sending a dime or a dollar, and while I understand they need to guard against possible fraud, there is no excuse for putting people through too many hoops just to get needed funds. Go with another service like MoneyGram or something else. My grandmother passed away on December 4th. The first attempt to send money was on December 5th. It is now December 7th and I STILL do not have a dime of that money sent due to an unnecessary and unreasonable technicality and disastrous Western Union procedure. This is absolutely sickening. Stay away from Western Union!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

My husband did a money transfer through Western Union, they cancelled the transaction with no explanation. They told us we would get our refund within 5 to 7 business days. Nothing. We had left several messages on their Facebook page and just got completely ignored, so had to call them. They said the refund would be there within 24 to 48 hours. We then checked the comments on their Facebook page and couldn't believe what I was reading. They are suppose to be a reputable company and from what I read, it's looks like they are just blatantly ripping off their customers. Every time we call they continue to tell us absolute lies, saying the money is in our bank account. They won't put us onto a manager. We just can't seem to get anywhere with them. So what can we do? Is there any way to get our money back? We have no idea what to do.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I did a money transfer with Western Union of $339 and Western Union cancelled my transaction and said that they refunded my money. 7 days later, no refund. I call western union and they said they sent a notice to my bank to cancel the payment and how western union never received any money. I called my bank and they said western union never sent in a notice and that I was charged. I filed a dispute with western union and was informed that it would be resolved in 24-48 hrs. I called 24 hours later and was told that they escalated my refund and it will be resolved in 24 hours that stay close to my phone and someone will call me. 24 hours later and no call. I call again and was put on 15 minute hold then told that my case is pending. I asked to speak to a manager and waited another 15 minutes and no response. These guys are crooks. Be aware.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Western Union has had my money (several thousand $$) which was supposed to be sent to a business bank, instead they sent it to be "picked up". They issued a new tracking number to me and told me I could go to "ANY" WU location. I live in a small town area and there are NO convenient stores, grocery stores, etc. that could cash out that amount. I called WU and they gave me an address of a WU agent. I drove 30 minutes to the location which is now vacant. I started calling every location Google Maps could find and found ONE agent who could cash out the amount but their WU machine has been "down" for 3 weeks. I finally found a bank that is a WU agent and set up everything to get the money (at least a month has passed now and my payment to the business still has not been sent).

The tracking number didn't work. Called WU to be told the tracking number had expired, then they said the refund had been made to someone in a state almost on the other side of the country. They never admitted the mistake was theirs. Then told me I'd have to wait 24 hours for another department to handle the error and I asked to be transferred to them and the agent said the department did have phones. I told the agent they were liars and thieves. I'm still waiting to get my money back. This is unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I have tried to send money to India through Western Union by using my bank account which said 0-5 days to complete my transaction. I have got a confirmation email saying "Your money transfer's complete. The money will be available in ** bank account by **/**/2019." But still money is not in the account by that date. When I have contacted customer care they were transfer is pending due to there is some document which I need to fill and send it to them. Which was never informed to me either through email or when I see the status on the APP. All it says is my transfer is incomplete. There is no reason why it's incomplete. There are lot of gaps in their mobile app, website and the customer care. All of their information is misguiding. All they do is confuse when you try to call them. NEVER EVER USE IT. THERE ARE LOT OF GOOD REMIT OPTIONS OUT THERE IN THE MARKET. JUST GOOGLE FOR THEM.

Western Union Company Information