3.9/5 (548 ratings)

About Western Union

Western Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Union?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Extremely Bad experience !!!! with worst escalation department who extremely rude. I tried sending $2800 real time using premium service using a Debit Card and money has not been sent, waiting to get money back for 2 days and they have refused to give any details. Beware of this fraudulent company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I was trying to send the money from Saudi Arabia using WU. BIG MISTAKE. They seized 5000$ of mine. They don't answer my emails. They don't answer my calls. The customer service in KSA does not exist. I am planning to hire a lawyer. Otherwise the money will be lost. This situation is extremely frustrating. I will never ever use this scammers again!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

They entice people with a competitive exchange rate and quick transfer. Once you start money transfer they need all the documents in the world to verify the sender's and receiver's identity. I asked them to return my money because I am no longer interested in sending this money via WU. They said write us a letter explaining why do you want us to return your money and we will analyze the letter and let you know. This is ridiculous. I would highly recommend not using this service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I have spent a lot of money on international calls as well as many many hours talking to people at Western Union about my account which I have been unable to use. I was told so many times things would be fixed and even talked to Muhammed **, a top executive at Western Union stating my account would be fixed. $83 in international phone bills and there has been nothing but empty promises. There is no way to describe the company other than incompetent. If a company cannot serve its customers, who are they serving?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

My mom that’s quite old sends me about 850 pounds from South America to UK. They have charged her 46 pounds of fees, but on top of that have take another 150 pounds almost and this from the difference of price that they applying on the currency rate, at this time it was 0.75. They just charged me 0.89 which at the end I received 601 pounds. So from someone sending you £846 “to be precise” then received £601, I called them and in a shameful way make me understand that they can apply the rate that they want as they want, I honestly I felt like if they was in front of me I couldn’t keep it calm because they really know what they are doing and they know that is bad.

They are now the biggest ripoff that you can find about money transfer. They really have to stop operating, they are just harming people that do not need to be harmed more than proposing a solution to a existing demand. On top of that even in 2022 they still keep working closely with all type scammers as it looks like they share the same values. Horrible company who needs to stop operating. Who is going to pay almost £200 for a transfer of £850. My old mom don’t get all of the policy behind she thought it will be only 46 of fee as written on their paper without paying attention to the nasty conversion rate that they applied on her. Disgusting company.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

A few days ago I got an email for multiple transactions that were not approved by me. Someone went into my account and started sending themselves money. Most of the transactions were canceled but w went through. I called them and the customer representative was not even the slightest bit sympathetic. They filed a claim but I don't understand why their security is that bad when they are supposed to be a larger company. The customer service is useless. Trying to tell me I need to file a police report when the hackers were not even from this country. I'm still waiting for my money. Never using them again and I will encourage people to use another company to send money.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

I would like to discourage everyone from using Western Union. During the Pandemic, I began using Western Union to transfer money for our Church Ministry in the Republic of Ecuador. I used the service successfully until June 2022, when I sent money, and the money never got to the hands of our people. I submitted complaints that the money was stolen. According to the information given to me by WU workers, somebody picked up the money in a location almost 2 hours away from the people I was sending money to Ecuador. I informed WU that the money was never delivered to the original intended person's hands. WU decided to dismiss my complaints.

On top of that, someone internally tries to steal directly from my Checking Account. Thankfully, I saw the dirty move, and I contacted my Bank to put a STOP. In both instances, this company did absolutely nothing. Instead, they told me I had to file a police report for them to investigate. I encourage everyone to use an alternative method of wiring money, such as PayPal, Zoom, etc. Do not use a company that refuses to care for their customers as they should. I firmly believe this was an internal dirty job, and they refuse to hold their people accountable.

Original review: July 13, 2022

Updated on 7/17/2022: Well it seems that if the security team decided to cancel your transaction, they do it without giving you a REASON! How can you know what is wrong after successfully doing a money transfer online. You are told to just go to a WU location if cancelled! That’s after entering your CC INFO, DEBIT CARD INFO, ANOTHER CC, BUT website will not allow you to proceed but again no reason given? Trying to DELETE MY WHOLE ACCOUNT NOW. Wait was two hours but arrived next day with a short window to reply. I reply, get into website, hit send, declined.

Original review: Each agent has a different story as to why or how your money was cancelled. After thorough research with both credit card companies, I was advised my cards were good. Each has a 10k limit but I could not complete a $200 transfer. Supervisor gave conflicting advice, one agent offered to input my cc info by voice as online website is full of clutches. DO NOT USE WESTERN UNION. They are very UNPROFESSIONAL in my opinion. Good luck.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I sent my wife a transaction from my bank to the Philippines. Instead of taking 1 transaction of 2999$ they took 2 transactions of almost 6000$. I called them and they said they will refund one of them back to my bank account. This happened on June 17, 2022 and I did not see my money really put on my bank account until July 8, 2022. During this window of time I called them at least 35 times and every time I hear different stories why my money is still not on my bank account in the state. I repeated to them the same question they have asked over and over for 21 days. I finally called their ERD (Executive Resolutions Department) screen shots of everything to prove to them that money they overtook from my bank account still not in yet. I had to wait with their customer service on the phone 50 minutes at one time and was transferred to 6 different people without getting a concrete answer about my money that they were still holding.

I got so frustrated until finally the same day I went to my own bank and they told me to fill up a special form that they can retrieve my money from Western Union. Exactly the same day I filled up that form in my bank Western Union put the money that they were holding it in my bank account after 21 days. It was the worst experience I ever had with them. I just hope somebody with big balls from Western Union read this and show those people sitting behind their desk to do their job right and provide the customer service they are supposed to provide. HOW DO THEY FEEL IF IT WAS THEIR MONEY HELD FOR 21 DAYS?? I know if I had to chance to talk to somebody who is local in the USA this very experience will never happen. If anybody from western union wants to contact me to provide files strictly to them I will do so. I will not post my personal information here.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Tried to send money to my son using the online app. The confirmation said 0-4 days. When my son called, they told him 7 days. I called customer service and was answer by a foreigner. I received no answer as to why the money would take so long. I then canceled the transfer. The agent asked me to hold and I obliged. Then the agent asked again. I gave the same answer. Another 9 times this went on and at this point I am using profanity and yelling to put me on hold and cancel the transaction.

A minute or two turned into 25 minutes. Finally I spoke to a supervisor and got corporate contact information. I go back into my app to check that the transaction was canceled and saw that there were multiple transactions made by the app. They all say they are canceled but I will see tomorrow. There are much easier and cheaper ways to send money. I used the CashApp. My son got his money in less than 10 minutes. Do not use Western Union.

Original review: May 31, 2022

After introducing all needed data and confirming to send the money from my bank (introduced login, password and used 2-step security), the webpage showed me an error message. I tried to log in and fix it but the webpage didn´t work correctly, I tried with different web browsers and also downloaded the app on my iPhone, but this was worse: I couldn´t even login under the app. In short, WU online is complete crap. By the way, it will take 5 to 7 to get my money back to my bank account. So take this into consideration when using WU online. I would give zero stars, but one is the minimum.

Original review: May 25, 2022

My family send money using this service money in minutes. I went to different WU Agents here in Winnipeg, Money Mart, Cash Money and Walmart and they told me they can’t provide a payout telling me they don’t have this amount for payout, telling me they are not sure on when they will have this amount. They told me to call first but it is not guaranteed that they will have this fund and will take a few days. The amount is only $4500. In the first place, why they accept it when sending it and using money in minutes if they can’t provide a payout for this amount. You paid transfer fee for money in minutes but they can’t provide the service that is why is is a fraud.

I contacted WU and they said they can’t do anything about it. I lost my patience because their services are **. I drove to different locations to get money and didn’t get anything that is why their services is **. As a customer using ang paying their services they should provide a good service and they should evaluate their Western Union Agents if this agent can provide better services to their customers.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Really bad service. Maybe it’s time for new competitors to get them out of business. I keep calling to inquire why my account is locked and nobody has an answer.

I keep running in a circle, seems to me all political matters whenever a Middle East person send money to family members. It happened to me, my brother and three of my friends, should be no room for discrimination…

Original review: May 17, 2022

I was trying to send money to UK urgently. Transaction was put on hold. A rep from WU called from some other country and asked some questions and then I got email that it was declined. I wasted over 1 hour with no valid reason for the decline. All the reps are non-americans and have no answers. They are unable to give valid answers and just waste your time. Their service is horrible. They would decline transaction without any reasonable justification. You get an email that your transaction was declined due to business decision! You just wasted your time. I called my bank first and requested them not to decline my transaction and they gave me OK so it wasn't an issue from my bank. Simply put.... This company is a fraud and waste of time. I would use remitly or Ria instead.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Had to send some money to Ukraine. It's war over there. Western Union advertises "no fees" transfer. So - I sent $200.00. No fee - they charge $22.00 for fast delivery. No option of regular delivery. Plus - they discounted conversion rate. Basically - "no Fee" equals to about 23% of the transfer amount. Liars and ripoffs.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I used their website to send $100 to a friend. It appeared the transaction waiting for me to click on the Confirm button so I clicked it twice. It provided a message indicating I had already sent a duplicate amount to this person and told me to review my History page and if it wasn't reflected there to restart the transaction. I didn't see the transaction on my History page so I restarted the transaction.

I got to the same point only before restarting the transaction a third time I decided to look at my bank account and noticed it had charged me twice. I then went to the History page and it showed two separate transactions. I called customer support because both transactions showed pending. I explained the situation to three different people who barely spoke English and each time was told I was being transferred to their billing department so they could process a refund. After thirty minutes of trying to get someone from their Billing Department I was told that they were sorry but both transactions had already gone through. They complain of fraud and scams when it seems clear that they are the ones committing both!!

Original review: April 21, 2022

I started a transfer online and I chose that the receiver pick up the money in USD. They had me go finish the transaction on the store, for some reason. They changed it to a different currency without asking me, and when I called to complain they would not correct their mistake. I ended up losing a lot of money due to their exchange rate that is a big to off.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I sent money transfers to UAE. They held my remittance as they needed identity verification which they approved after submitting the documents they required from me and interviewing me on the phone. They informed me that the other transfer was canceled, which was fine, but I specifically told them that I needed the other transfer to go through as the money was for legal fees and needed to be paid on a Thursday as Friday is a day off in UAE. I was sent an email informing me that the urgent and vital tracking number was ready for pick up by the receiver which I relied on.

My niece went to pick up the money and she was informed that the money was received and picked up by ME. How can I picked up a money in UAE when I live in Australia? I called up the customer service and I was given a run-around from 12:30 midnight of Friday and was awake the whole as I was assured that the KYC department will call me immediately. I waited for nothing because no calls were made. Because of this bungled management of Western Union, my case is jeopardised. I continue to receive emails with the same content and they continue to call my number, which I have emailed them several times that my number is not accepting their calls as their number is reported "SUSPECTED SPAM CALLS".

Now conveniently they marked my money transfers as "CANCELLED" and the refunds will take forever after they bungled up my money transfers and my legal case. I pay all the fees that Western Union charge when you are sending money through them, but the kind of customer service is not even a quarter of the 100% satisfaction, because the customer service is insensitive, arrogant, void of compassion and understanding and knowledge that Western Union is making a lot of money from the fees and charges from customers who regularly use their service. Customers do not deserve to be maltreated and ignored, and phone calls to be hanged up and abandoned because the customers are hysterical for the reasons Western Union and employees caused.

There are many money transfers and most of them are reliable and knowledgeable of what they do and why there are in that business. Do yourselves a favour - "Do not use western union", they will not return the money on time, after they bungled up your transactions. How can you resend that money when western union is still holding captive in their account the money you sent through the money transfer they cancelled. Yes, they can cancel, but not after you explained the urgency and importance of the money transfer and assuring the customer that the money transfer will not be cancelled. They cancelled my money transfer after they assured me that the money transfer will go through. They have caused me so much stress, and anxieties to the point of me breaking down. I cannot forgive you western union. You are the worst!

Original review: April 3, 2022

This was the worst experience I had for money transfer. The website said 0-3 business days even with the bank transfer and it took 6 business days, the staff was not helpful and suggested no options to support me. Plus when my dad went to pick the money, they wouldn't accept his government sponsored Driver's license. I will not be using this service again.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I had a problem sending money and called customer service two times. People from customer service sent me two times to "robot" answering phones. it was very hard to hear, the agent's voice was interrupted all the time. Western Union Customer Service absolutely useless. I tried different solutions and solved this problem myself.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I purchased three money orders in the amounts of 300, 300 and 205. Ultimately the m.o. did not make it to their destination, I'm assuming due to our postal service. Nevertheless, Western Union was able to issue refund checks for each m.o. for a fee of 15.00 each. Once I received the checks I was unable to deposit them into my bank account because they would not accept that "type of check". I then went to three different check cashing agencies in my area and was unable to cash them because they are apparently "starter checks". This is when my nightmare really began. Long story short, all western union could do was reissue the same check that no one will cash. I was hung up on literally eight times. I asked for a supervisor on four separate times and was placed on indefinite holds. On my last call I was placed on hold until customer service closed. Called the next day (3/25/22) and got the same "reissue check" script. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 18, 2022

This isn't the only time I've had problems with these guys. I accidentally sent money to a scammer and now I can't even send money to my wife because I need an "evaluation". Such discrimination but these pukes will let's scammers use it all day long

Original review: March 16, 2022

It's a rip off. They give rip off exchange rates. Like now March 16/2022, in the market USD to CAD is 1.27. They are giving 1.18 only. They are ripping almost 10% of the money. I do not advise any body to use them. I will advise my people never to use their service.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The worst service what ever had. Sent money to help people in Ukraine. Tried 2 times but they never got it. Tried to call service for the 3 days, was told that somebody from the head office will contact me within 48 hours but nobody even bother to do this. Called again, was on a phone for 2 hours, they transferred me to 6 different agents, and nobody was able to help. Everything what I heard - I am so sorry!!! I did not get an answer why transaction was cancelled, I could not to take my money back!! If you don't want to go through a huge stress, avoid this service at any cost!

Original review: March 1, 2022

Trying to send money to my wife but this useless WesternUnion doesn’t allow me to send, asking 100s of questions and ID etc but still not trusting use this service for past 10 years. Every time I try to send they have given me hard time. No more WesternUnion

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

It was a bit of a hassle sending money through the app. They didn't receive the money right away like it was supposed to. The agent cannot help you over the phone which I believe was from the call center in the Philippines and the supervisor I spoke with was rude and not customer friendly. I hope they do better next time. I’ve never had a problem with Remitly online and would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

If your transfer goes through, the service is fine. If not, watch out as you will be plunged into a customer service nightmare. The initial interaction will be with a representative who seems intent on spending the least amount of time with you and will not listen to your actual problem. If it involves a transfer from the US to another country, they are even worse, "we only work on US" they will answer and will not give you any answer how to get the help you need. Or they may say your transfer cannot go through because of "corporate policy." Can I ask what that means? It means it is the company policy they will answer. But what was it about the transfer you ask? They will answer, "it is corporate policy."

If you push they will give you a case number and maybe an email to send information to. Then that comes back with "it is corporate policy" and if you need more information, "please get in touch with our customer service." It seems their customer service experience is intended to serve as a taste of what being condemned to purgatory or h*ll might be like. Suggestion - avoid Western Union when possible. I have switched to MoneyGram for the transfers I can and it has been much better.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I attempted to transfer money to a friend in need who is in a different state. Everything seemed fine until she attempted to pick up the money. The store told her to download an app and create an account which she did. Then she proceeded to get an error code. I called customer service three times and each time they said everything was fine even though it obviously was not. I then had to contact them two times by chat with no additional help in solving the issue. After trying for two days to go and pick up and being denied the money, I cancelled it and am waiting for a refund. The only advice the customer service offered was to go to a different location which my friend did. Then customer service said it was because she was in a different state. But there was nothing in the print saying the different state would be an issue.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Bad. Not recommended for anyone. Fat-bellies just do a little. Stunned they have little houses and cars. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO TRY IT. There are new apps like Wise, Ria, and many others are cheaper in 100% new.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

12Jan2022: BEWARE.... I visited 7 dealers more than 11 times and was not paid because Western Union software has been down in past 2 weeks. I contacted WU customer service 4 times now. They refuse to acknowledge the issue and have no resolution for me, although charged me $58 fees for the money transfer! Will file formal complaint with local Ombudsman but want to warn the general public.

Western Union Company Information