2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.78/5

Ria Financial Services Reviews

Original review: May 21, 2020

I sent $300 USD to my family overseas who really needed the money. After they picked up the funds in the local currency, the amount they received was $60 USD less than they should have received. They FRAUDULENTLY claimed that the shortfall was due to a currency conversion. These THIEVES are saying that 20% of my transfer was lost due to a currency conversion! They are LIARS and it's obvious that someone has EMBEZZLED these funds. DO NOT USE THESE CRIMINALS!!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

I went to Walmart to pick 100 dollars. The cashier say I Couldn't receive the money and call the 855#. I called and 4 representative said my account was not blocked. The sender was on the phone with me. They verify he sent the money. A rep talked to the cashier two time to tell them what to do but in the end they told the sender to pick up their money. And told me they Couldn't tell me why I Couldn't receive the money. I called to say it fraud or just what. This company can't be real if you want to report fraud to the compliance department but there is not no to report it to.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I am so angry, I am a disabled armed force veteran so I take duty and honesty very serious. I receive support money from my ex-husband every month via transfer for years so clearly if they look at records they could easily call and inquire any suspicion. To be placed on a consumer fraud list for no apparent reason and be told "well ma'am it's happening to a lot of our customers right now due to consumer fraud alert and we don't know when it will be rectified" is absolutely ridiculous! No guidelines for this, even the first representative was baffled. It's just absolute discrimination and it's not right. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else again?

Original review: April 9, 2020

RIA mobile app kept crashing with message 'transaction unsuccessful' and whereas the transactions were successful multiple times. When I called customer service to revoke the transaction they said it couldn't be done. I ended up having multiple transactions charged at my bank due to which I had account overdrafts. Very very Very disappointed in services.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2020

I had previous experiences, I have sent money before without problems. However, when things mess up, they are not quick to fix it, they had an internal error, and charged my account multiple times, then cancelled the transfer. But they only refund the extra charges, I had spent hours to call them, email them about the issue, finally they fixed it but it took a month. So I changed my start rating from one to two.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

On December 3rd they charged me 3 times, my account got overdraft, then they cancel the transfer, and return 2 of 3 charges, the original one has not been returned, it is nor more than 3 weeks, I called RIA 5 times, each time they told me something else and told me to wait, I sent them bank statements showing them what error they made, each time have to explain the story from beginning, I do not know what to do, It is like begging them to give my money back. I spent a lot of time to call them. I need to pay my bills, late fees will be added if i don't. I am trying the learn a way to sue them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ria Financial Services?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I attempted to use Ria Money transfer to send an online wire transfer to pick up in store to myself. I broke my debit card and can't get a new one or go directly to the bank as I work out of town and my bank is a small military bank in Oklahoma. I am sending money to myself so I can get back home to Texas yet somehow this is a security risk. I can't imagine how, but sure. I spoke with Ana and Jonathan in the Verification Department. They were both incredibly rude. Ana informed me that my account would be locked forever, and I can never use their service for "security reasons". I ask her how to close the account then as I don't want my information, especially my card information, kept on file with them. She informs me that I can't do any such thing.

They get to keep my information on file permanently, and I can never use their service. Super helpful. I inform her that this is fraudulent, and I would like to speak to a supervisor. She lets me talk to Jonathan who is NOT a supervisor and every bit as rude. I asked him how on earth customer service people can be so nasty to which he responds that they are NOT customer service, they are the verification department. To me that makes no difference. You are dealing with customers, you should not be rude.

I proceed to ask Jonathan how I can get my account closed and information removed from their database. He informs me that I cannot and offers nothing more than his word that it will be secure. He says they have to keep my information on file because if I were to attempt to create another account they would need it so they could prevent me from doing so. No worries there, I will NEVER use this service again (or attempt to anyway).

I feel like there should be some sort of recourse or a class action lawsuit against these people as they do not provide the service they advertise, their "customer service" is an absolute joke if ever there was one, and they get to keep all of the information anyone would need to fraudulently charge my account to their little heart's content, and I apparently can do nothing about it.

I called the customer service line which was still useless, although that kid was at least polite. He promised to get a supervisor on the line and ended up transferring me back to who? JONATHAN! He insisted that Ana IS the supervisor, so I ask who is HER supervisor then as I want to speak to that person. He proceeds to inform me again that she is the supervisor (not what I asked), and since there doesn't seem to be anything more he can do for me, he is just going to go ahead and disconnect the call, and he hangs up on me after I spent half an hour on hold to get that far!

Do NOT waste your time, money, sanity, or security using this company. It will not end well. You will end up not being able to complete your transaction, and they will have your information on file, and good luck getting that changed. I am not the type who writes reviews very often unless they are because something was insanely awesome, but for this joke of a company, I had to. I had to do what I could to warn anyone and everyone that I possibly could. This service is not worth it. You will regret it, I promise you. After the fourth phone call and the fourth time being transferred back to the same rude people, I have finally been told a supervisor's name so we shall see how that goes come Monday.

I have also been told that no matter what I say or do or want, they can and will keep my information on file, period. Do NOT give these people your information. You most likely won't get the service you were looking for in the first place, and you will get a whole lot of headache out of the deal. The fact that when you call their customer service line, the first option to choose is if you have had your account charged multiple times. That tells me it's a very common occurrence on the rare occasion that they actually process your transaction online. Save yourself the headache and the stress and just go elsewhere...you will end up having to go somewhere else anyway most likely, so just save yourself the headache and go elsewhere to begin with.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

They also blocked me from receiving money from anybody. I called numerous times as well as my senders as to why I could not receive money, time and time they said for security purposes. They could not give any of us a reason. So as of this day December 16, 2019 I still can not receive money. They left me and my grandchildren broke and out of gas at Walmart.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Ria just debited the amount thrice (2800$) from my checking account for a single transaction (2800$) which made my checking over-drafted and it caused huge impact in credit score and penalty fee. Not recommended while transferring through Ria.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Ria just debited the amount thrice (9000$) from my checking account for a single transaction (3000$) which made my both checking and savings accounts over-drafted and could cause huge impact in credit score and penalty fee. They made us feel like a beggar for money to settle down the account.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

This company advertises about their online service and telephone app, with competitive prices and broad world coverage. Once you go online, open an account and go through the entire process to send a transfer, once you enter, it closes your account request you call a telephone number, where they tell you that the country you are sending to they have experienced problems, for you to go to their store, where they can do the transfer for a much higher fee. If they know this when you are entering the transfer information, why not give you the warning before you complete the entire process. This is called bait and switch and it is fraud.

Ria Financial Services author review by ConsumerAffairs

Ria was established in 1987 in New York. The company is now one of the world’s largest money transfer firms, operating in nearly 150 countries. Their services include money transfer, mobile phone refill, currency exchange, bill payment and check cashing. Ria Financial is owned by Euronet Worldwide, an electronic financial transfer provider.

• Easy tracking: Those who send money via Ria’s money transfer service can easily track the status of their transfer online. They just need the PIN, order number or reference numbers.

• Instant fee checker: Consumers who want to know how much it will cost to transfer money to someone else can use the company’s online tool to see the fee amount for different sums and different transfer methods—bank account draft, cash, etc.

• Refer a friend: Customers who share a unique referral link directly with others or on social media sites receive a $20 Amazon gift card after the new customer sends their first transfer. Electronic gift cards are delivered within a week of the completed transaction, and there is no minimum transfer amount.

• Bill pay: Customers can use Ria to pay bills at over 3,000 merchants and service providers. Same day payments are available for some companies.

• Euronet ATMs: Transfer recipients in Poland can withdrawal their money from any Euronet ATM. Recipients do not need an ATM card to pick up money transferred to them.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team