2.80/5
Based on 15 reviews that contain star ratings

15 Ria Financial Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was told to use Ria as it was better than Western Union - cheaper yes if you can get it to work. My first transaction was 500 Swiss Francs from Sydney Australia to Switzerland. The money came out of my account, with fee and a $15 fee for paying by bank transfer - that costs nothing so that is a straight rip off. I sent the code and when my friend tried to get the money it was denied. It had been canceled by Ria and no reason given. The money was to pay doctors bill that afternoon for a very sick elderly gentleman.

I rang up and they asked if I had been to Switzerland, well no. But nowhere does it say that is a condition. I was then asked when I met the recipient. Nowhere does it say I must have physically met the recipient. When I said Israel, I was asked to send my passport with stamp and visa. Well, if anyone has been to Israel they will know that they do not put visas and stamps in your passport.

I was asked to provide proof I went to Israel, I managed to find a hotel bill from 2015! I sent that off and they then wanted the passport of the recipient!!! I was told I would be rung the next day between 9 and 10 am. I was not. When I got home (it was a Friday) I rang and was told the compliance was closed and would not be open to Monday. I thought it was a 24/7 service - obviously not. They still have my money and fees. Ria seems to make up the rules as they go. I have never had such poor service and where is my money!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I live in West Central New Mexico on a ranch. I drive to town 75 miles away about once a week. While in Silver City at Walmart, I gave them $750 to send to my son in Houston. The money was so he could finish getting my motorcycle painted. Cost $8.00. Not too bad. The receipt said Walmart2Walmart. The money would be available in 10 minutes. That was on 1/3/2019. This morning I asked my son if he had got the money. He said no, I had to call Ria and talk to them. So I did, went thru all the fraud questions and then had the agent say they were denying the transaction for security reasons. I said, "Ok, give me my money back." His answer was I had to make the 150 mile round trip to Walmart again to get my money back.

I hung up and made a formal complaint with them. The emailed response was go to Walmart. Then they sent 2 emails, once asking how happy I was with their customer service, and the second telling me just how great their new money transfer service was. I will never use their services again. I am going to file a complaint with both Walmart and with the State Attorney General. We shall see what happens. By the way I wouldn't even give them 1 star, except that is lowest it goes.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

So I decided to go with Ria to send money to my wife $2100 in Dominican Republic. I followed all their rules to verified my identity and ownership of my banking account. It supposed to be simple bank to bank transfer. I provided my wife SWIFT code and it was denied, BanReservas popular bank in DR. I called customer service explained my problem and been told at this moment Ria do not operate with this bank. So I changed option to cash pickup from their selection options and picked Caribe Express... I gave them my banks info routing and account number and they made two small deposits to verify account.

Three days later two mail deposits appeared in my checking account and simply entered those numbers and completed my transaction. About 4 hours later my transaction is canceled and this what they claimed was the reason "your banks could not approve the funds" ... Meanwhile I have over $10,000 available, called the bank and everything was okay on their end. They mentioned two small deposits from Ria but there was no attempt to withdraw any amount of money by Ria. When I called Ria I got this rude lady talking out of nonsense out of her mind, did not let me explain. I say two words she is interrupting constantly so I asked why my transaction was canceled?

She gave two different versions from what is say in my email cancellation notice. She basically claims this is suspicious transfer and that part of country is full of scammers. I told her originally I wanted deposit that money to my wife's bank from my bank so that did not work and Ria representative told to use cash pickup. Now a minute later she says I can complete this transaction if I take my cash and bring to Ria's locations 7 eleven or Duane Read... So now I'm confused! Is not dangerous or suspicious anymore if I bring cash to their agents and still able to send it to same locations I tried before. I lost my patience, so then I use my loud voice and ask her "is okay for me to walk around with $2100 in my pocket to make this more legit?"

Now this the worse part of this story, next day my bank sends me texts and emails about suspicious activity on my checking account, my debit card and my credit card!!! RIA is the SCAMMERS and FRAUD. At first they collect all your info either they use it or give to someone else. I did read peoples reviews and bad experience with Ria...but they got me on that $2 transfer fee and good conversion exchange rate. PEOPLE stay away from them. Don't let this happen to you. Now I have to replace everything, checks, autopay and still be on lookout. Today I decided to use XOOM a PayPal service smooth transaction stupid me not going with more reliable service and learning hard-way.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Quoted $3 for a transfer. Ria layer refused to complete the transfer and demanded higher fees. The $3 fee is STILL quoted on the site. I've asked the honor the fee in the quote and they refuse. So first expect them to try and bait-and-switch the fees you are expected to pay. When you call customer service, they are powerless to help.

They will send you to some verification group that told me to just use some other service if Ria doesn't seem trustworthy. Well Ria... when you bait-and-switch, you don't appear trustworthy. Maybe my request to talk to management about this issue should have resulted in a transfer to management versus them just hanging up the call on me. Given that, you can only talk to powerless CS or indifferent-bordering-on-rude verification... and management, as they are unwilling to be involved, won't care. I'll gladly change my review here >if< Ria wants to act in an ethical, professional manner about the transaction but at this point they refuse.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have no issues with RIA money transfer. But their referral bonus scheme is a complete ripoff. Honestly, I referred 3 of my friends in the recent past and ensured they clicked the referral link and made a successful transfer. Even so, they denied the referral bonus saying a clumsy reason. So I would strongly recommend NOT to recommend your friends to RIA if your intention is just to earn referral bonus.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ria Financial Services?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Poorly trained staff giving invalid and incomplete instructions. Poor communication skills. Unacceptable response time. It took several hours of trying to get this resolved. The last person put me on hold for 1 hr and then it disconnected automatically. Resolved the next day.

Original review: July 4, 2017

They cancelled my third transfer, saying it was high risk. I called. They refuse to let me send it anyways. I can determine what's high risk on my own. I told them guess another company gets my business from now on.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

This Ria Money Transfer company offers a awesome wide range of helpful and convenient options to transfer my funds. There is nothing that I have needed and they were not able to assist me with. If I were to be asked about this company's services I would say that I am highly impressed with them and they provide all the services that I need to make the transfers. There are not many additional fees included in this service at Ria money transfer. They are always dedicated to providing honest answers about any fees in the beginning. If I were asked my opinion of the customer service at Ria money transfer I would say that they are highly professional and talented and very willing to help and assist.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

There were repayment options. I used them to send money and they were very good. I feel I can trust them and I'll probably use them again. Very nice services. They took their time and helped answer all my questions and that was important to me so I'm happy with them. There were some additional fees but that's every business nowadays. It wasn't too bad and compared to other places they seem to be the best choice. I recommend them because of the friendly people they had. I didn't feel rushed and they were very friendly and answered everything. I tell anyone that needs to send money to use them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

There were enough options for me to choose one that worked best for the particular situation that I needed to use the money transfer for, and the options were few enough so I didn't feel overwhelmed. The people that helped me were polite and helpful, and helped me choose the option that best worked for the particular situation in which I needed to transfer money to someone else. I thought the additional fees were fair. No one like to pay extra for anything, but I understand that there's a cost for the service, so given the situation I thought it was fair.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

The repayment options available would be that they can repay you for a lot of things and that you can make payment plans. Very good plan they have going on there. The extra services they have are amazing and they can help with a lot of other things that will help me and everyone else. The extras really help. I didn't really see any additional fees but I'm sure they have some that are there. I just did not see them at all. I wish I could of checked when I need them. The customer service was amazing. They gave me all the help I needed and they were very nice about everything and every question I had they answered it no problem.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

This option worked great and was very easy if you need to transfer money. I didn't have any problems and was able to easily do this and able to easily pick up. The extra services were great and I had no problems with them either. They were very easy to use and I had no problems with them at all. Recommend them. I really didn't have any problems with the additional fees. I was told about everything upfront and nothing caused problems. I would just suggest asking first. The customer service employees were really great. They have an upbeat attitude and were eager to answer any questions that I had. Thankful that they were very nice.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

Wonderful fast service. I would recommend to anyone. Money is available within minutes of being sent. Fees are low and reasonable. Overall perfect. Customer service with this company is outstanding as is the service. Customer service is very very knowledgeable. Makes things so much easier for the customer. The additional fees are not too bad and at times are necessary. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

They are pretty simple and I REALLY LOVE IT. It is just so simple and a lot of other people want something more complicated and I don't like that at all. I honestly use PayPal the most but not all of my family use it so I use this instead and they are loving it. Is just amazing. It is pretty worth it. PayPal is free 100 percent so that is the only downfall but overall it is worth the extra money and that does not turn me off from it at all. I have only had to contact customer service a few times only and it has bee great so far. They answered the call right away and were very knowledgeable about everything.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

They're honest and trustworthy, they get it done right, no complaints, fast business and delivery options are good, and a lot the options are like no other place. They have great and reliable service. The options they give you you can go there for a lot of other different things you have to do. There no additional fees unlike other places you visit that they after let you know you have to pay extra if you want this or that or so on. Never seen customer service as great as them. They were very helpful and answer any questions I had. They know what they had, they knew their information, and treated me with patience and respectfully.

Ria Financial Services expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ria was established in 1987 in New York. The company is now one of the world’s largest money transfer firms, operating in nearly 150 countries. Their services include money transfer, mobile phone refill, currency exchange, bill payment and check cashing. Ria Financial is owned by Euronet Worldwide, an electronic financial transfer provider.

• Easy tracking: Those who send money via Ria’s money transfer service can easily track the status of their transfer online. They just need the PIN, order number or reference numbers.

• Instant fee checker: Consumers who want to know how much it will cost to transfer money to someone else can use the company’s online tool to see the fee amount for different sums and different transfer methods—bank account draft, cash, etc.

• Refer a friend: Customers who share a unique referral link directly with others or on social media sites receive a $20 Amazon gift card after the new customer sends their first transfer. Electronic gift cards are delivered within a week of the completed transaction, and there is no minimum transfer amount.

• Bill pay: Customers can use Ria to pay bills at over 3,000 merchants and service providers. Same day payments are available for some companies.

• Euronet ATMs: Transfer recipients in Poland can withdrawal their money from any Euronet ATM. Recipients do not need an ATM card to pick up money transferred to them.

• Best for: Ria Financial is best for individuals, especially those who regularly send money to central Europe.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs