3.8/5 (666 ratings)

About PayPal

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

I tried to log into my PayPal account, only to be met with a demand for my cell phone number. Problem is, I don't have one, and I don't intend to get one. PayPal no longer values my 20+ years with them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

Paypal is a company that kept my money, I bought a shirt in word soccer shop. I used paypal to pay 4 parts, I received the delivery confirmation, I realized that the address was wrong, I sent you an e-mail at this follow word soccer, he told me that I sent it, I called paypal, I made the complaint, tell me that they ask for payment, paypal sent me an email that Ivan Verified with the company, paypal sent me another email requesting me, because the delivery has already been delivered! But in the wrong direction! I sent the proof to the wrong address. He communicated with word soccer, they told me that he sent me money to the card that he used (paypal). Paypal kept the refund money, and charged my credit card. This was all December 2022,

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

We have had a PayPal account for many years which we used for both business and private use. Recently the account was suspended because apparently, we were not meeting their terms of service. The problem is that there is no indication whatsoever as to which terms we appear to be breaching so we have no idea what we are supposed to have done wrong or what we need to do to resolve the issue.

Could not PayPal at least do their customers the courtesy of explaining the problem? Documents were requested and provided and we then received a message that our account was cancelled due to the unspecified breach. There was a link to their terms of service but having no idea what might be wrong this was useless. To add salt to the wound they then acted like the mafia stating we would receive a message in 180 days explaining how to retrieve the funds in our PayPal account. We believe PayPal has shown itself to be a company with poor communication skills and systems and one that cannot be trusted. If this behaviour does not breach a number of consumer rights, I'd be surprised.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Mar 18, 2022 I paid a total of $368.20 to what apparently was scam company They chose to refund me $140.65. I made numerous calls was told it was escalated and I would be called. It is Jan 2023 and I still have not received my money or a call back. Last mo my debit card was lost and my payment was rejected as I always do auto pay. As soon as I saw what had happened I called made full payment. Added new card. No I get a bill that say I have a 2 dollar credit but below says this is attempt to collect a debt.

After going through major ** I get to speak to an agent. She tells me I owe 4 dollars for fees from the late payments. Said my bank had a block on my card so payments would not go through. So I told her I wanted my acct closed as soon as I got their ** 4 dollar charge paid with the same debit card she says has a block. I called my bank they assured me there is no block on my card. That was the final straw. I have spent thousands of dollars with them over the last 10 or 15 ys I had the account. I now understand why more and more people don’t take PayPal. Also the agent was very condescending and continually interrupted. I was informed once closed I can never open an account with them again. I will never recommend them again! They cannot be trusted.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I used PayPal to transact a transaction with a business. I was selling Solar Appointments, and because I did not know the buyer very well, I made sure to have him send it as "Family and Friends" so it could not be disputed at a later date (that option says it right on the Paypal app when you choose that method of payment). The other person disputed it months later, Paypal called and asked me what happened, so I told them exactly what happened. They took my statement, asked me if I wanted to refund the buyer, I told them I did not, the transaction was non-refundable and completed. PayPal then debited my account $1500, and refunded back to the buyer. I called PayPal back and asked why they did that, their response was "he disputed it directly with his bank, if he had disputed that with us, we would have denied it, but since it was through his bank, we have no control over what happens." Although Paypal may not be able to stop a dispute directly with a bank, but they did have the control to:

1. Not have a "friends and family" option to make a payment with the caption "friends and family cannot be refunded later".
    2. If taking the money from me. They could have issued a refund from Paypal, since they made the mistake, and then overdraw the buyer's account for processing a dispute on a friends and family transaction.
    3.Suspended my account so I can't log in, holding my statements "hostage" unless I pay a creditor, (yes, they sent my account to collections as well) stating there is no way to email me the statements so I can do my taxes.

4. Putting me on hold all morning, hanging up on me after 45 minutes, now back on hold waiting again.

The buyer should never have been refunded, if it was out of their control they should have paid the refund due to their mistake, then overdrew the buyer's account, or suspended his Paypal account, not mine. I have never had a dispute, a refund requested, fraud, or anything like that on my account for the 4 and a half years I had it.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Got letter from Synchrony Bank, in Fl. That my loan was denied? I didn't apply for a loan in Fl. or Synchrony bank. Looked into it further, and Synchrony bank IS Paypal!! My SSN was hacked, many loans and credit were applied for,, I had to freeze my credit files. Of course they deny all of it. Had to close my Paypal account.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

DON'T TRUST PAYPAL WITH YOUR MONEY. THEY HAVE WAY TOO MUCH CONTROL OVER IT, AND WILL TAKE IT WHENEVER IT SUITS THEM. In March of 2021, I sold a watch off my website and the transaction was processed via PayPal. PayPal sent me an email saying "You can ship items now" and "Seller protection eligible."

I relied on PayPal to provide me with secure funds and protect me from chargebacks. But it turned out that PayPal failed to flag a fraudulent transaction, and then misled me into thinking my funds were secure and that they would protect me. When the buyer filed a dispute with his credit card issuer a few months later, the card issuer found in favor of the buyer, and PayPal removed the money from my account. PayPal refused to fulfill their obligations under their Seller Protection Program. Now, I am out both my money and my merchandise. I fought with PayPal for months, and the matter still remains unresolved. My letters to PayPal president and CEO Dan Schulman have gone unanswered.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

My granddaughter wanted $, texted me a photo of her PayPal QR code. I dropped the photo into my computer then scanned the QR code back to my iPhone. Using PayPal's app I sent her the $. Immediately in my PayPal acct, activity, I get a payment request from Rosalind for $1499. The message had a link under her name to a screen to call this # if you don't know "Rosalind". I call that number, go through a tel tree, then 10 min hold before I hang up. I go back and figure out (info found on internet, not via PayPal help) that I need to cancel Rosalind's PayPal request. Do this. I don't use PayPal much, weird that Rosalind's request for $1499 came right after sent granddaughter $ via her alleged PayPal QR code.

Long story, short: I'm not sure granddaughter's QR code legit because it looks different than PayPal QR code my PayPal app generated. Situation with girl and mother a mess. Web says QR codes with malicious code rising because you scan the hack into your phone. Paypal text, voice, emails at first a no-go because I cancelled Rosalind's $ request. (Paypal's algorithm not finding anything.) After repeated emails, PayPal said Rosalind's message into my PayPal acct (it hit there first, then I got a "PayPal" email, then spam calls) was randomly generated by scammers and when I called the number message said to call I said to scammer "genuine person and PayPal acct."

Worse, the PayPal messages in my acct activity and in email are inherently conflicting, call this number if person unknown to you (phishing) but apparently this triggers scammers you are real. I got "spam" calls 3 times from apparently large call centers in India. (Does or not - Paypal call you??) The 2nd I listen to without speaking: "Hello, hello, hello, my name, name, name ... finally if you want to talk about PayPal request, call us back."

There are possibly 3 scams here: PayPal claiming the Rosalind hit was random (Nope, too coincidental, came right after I sent granddaughter her $ via "PayPal" QR code); the QR code problem (I emailed it to PayPal phishing address, asking legit or not, PayPal 0 response.); how Rosalind's $1499 request made it into my PayPal activity acct (PayPal says their emails, i.e. people's accts are open source on web, I guess for perusing by the dark web?) So if you think you're communicating with PayPal, think again - how do you know? I removed all bank info from PayPal, will probably delete PayPal acct, changed passwords, etc.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

I have had two different disputes with PayPal over the last couple of years, which both ended in the seller's getting to keep my money. I don't use them very much - and I won't use them again in the future if I don't have to. I have an email from the seller stating "I will refund you as soon as possible" and PayPal considers this to be too vague to use in my defense. I was told if I had an actual date of refund process or some other confirmation number, then they could force the refund, Otherwise, it doesn't matter that I have emails asking for my refund from the seller.

Then when I told them how awful this process is and that I don't think I will use them in the future because they seem pro-seller and don't seem to care what evidence I have, the agent gets really snotty with me. The agent, both times got heated with me and told me to go ahead and take my sales somewhere else because no one else would have given me a refund either. I told them that credit cards would have helped me and was told credit cards don't process refunds either - what a joke. I have never had a credit card screw me over like PayPal has when I have either not received an item, or gotten an item that isn't as described. I would not trust PayPal to help you if you order something and pay with their service. You will have to accept the item, even if it's complete junk or damaged, or even if the seller tells you that you will get a refund.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

Webpage can keep you in a loop of failure. I was trying to send money to my daughter but they won't let me use my three linked bank accounts. Spent almost an hour on phone with three agents and in the end they blamed my bank for stopping the transaction. The bank accounts are listed as available. No errors were given by the webpage. Horrible software. I have been a customer for 20 years and now cannot use them? Maybe Musk should take them over.

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

PayPal Company Information