3.8/5 (676 ratings)

About PayPal

PayPal Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I found out someone made an account with my email, a false name & some strange phone number that isn't mine. I secured the account after a phone call. Then later on I tried actually using it for the 1st time but got scammed through PayPal losing about ~$100 because I used PayPal while drunk (I self medicate because I was ** in the military) the 2nd time I made a donation to the March of Dimes since my twin brother was the 1st baby in the world to have fetal surgery, they're my go to organization for donating funds since they covered my mother's entire hospital bill & my twin brother's surgeries.

Well I went to confirm my bank with them but they banned my account even after I told them about my brain injury & PTSD which was sustained while I was deployed. What happened is that I forgot to change the name on my account when I tried verifying banking information which are in different sections on their website while confirming information. I seriously hope PayPal gets blacklisted by the US military like President Joe Biden blacklisted Tesla (clearly that business is on it since they didn't get invited to the EV Summit.) I've seen blacklisted businesses and it's not based on the BBB ratings, it's based off military members' experiences & their willingness to work with active duty members. If PayPal wants to lead the way as a financial giant they gotta take a lesson from real bankers.

Will not be using them ever in the future even if I changed banks, emails, cell phone numbers. Nope, their lack of understanding with veterans who are brain injured like myself is sickeningly racist towards disabled people. The case was closed even after I provided medical documentation for my medical situations. They're not a military friendly nor disabled people friendly business. And they're holding my financial information hostage forever in my profile which hackers can easily attain. AVOID PAYPAL AT ALL COSTS, THE HEADACHE AIN'T WORTH IT.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Blatant thievery with no excuses or reasons. Paypal now has turned into a criminal organisation. I have to contact my bank now and pay a fee to block PayPal from randomly stealing my money. People should be in prison for this. Absolutely disgusting.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Totally authoritarian organisation, customer has no control over PayPal's high fees, no chance to close the account on web, in app, NO way to contact the customer service. They pretend I have $25 in my wallet, why I can't close the account. See screenshot. Easy to use only for people who has no other choices and don't mind the high fees.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Paypal, in my opinion, is a criminal organization. They will withhold your money at any time they choose. You have no control over your money whatsoever when PayPal holds it. I cannot understand how a company like this is allowed to exist. The only difference between PayPal and the mafia is the mafia dresses and acts much better.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Paypal is THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!! I am a victim of IDENTITY THEFT and someone stole my personal information, which compromised my credit reports. I then had to freeze my credit reports with all (3) reporting agencies, place fraud alerts on all (3) credit reporting agencies and file several police reports. I also filed a case with (FCC) and Social Security, etc. Even though Paypal KNEW who stole my money ($195.06) and told me the person’s name, launched an open investigation and ruled in my favor for my money to be refunded…they took FOREVER to refund me my money and I am STILL WAITING for them to issue a refund.

Paypal employees are VERY CONDESCENDING, EXTREMELY DISHONEST and UNPROFESSIONAL, RUDE and LACK ANY SORT OF COMPASSION for its actual customers. They outsource these calls to only God knows where and these employees DON’T LISTEN and DON’T COMMUNICATE effectively enough to resolve anything. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!!! If I could give this HORRIBLE COMPANY a negative ZERO I would gladly do so. PLEASE STAY FAR AWAY from PayPal and do business elsewhere!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Your credit card usually provides excellent protection against fraud and other consumer issues. Paypal Balance DOES NOT. I recently made a purchase with paypal and never received what was ordered. First of all very difficult to communicate with paypal- no customer service. Then they never refunded the amount paid. I really don't ever want to deal with paypal again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

Member since 2003 without any issues. One bank account issue and my entire account is completely put on hold. For $3.26 as some type of USD-CAD chargeback. Phoned customer service several times and could not rectify. Paypal "customer service" (and I use that term lightly) screwed me around and kept me on hold for literal hours, just to be disconnected and no one to phone or email me back. Each time you need to start at step one and explain to the Skynet computer program that is the gate-keeper. Once you get by that piece of garbage, another piece of garbage answers the phone without a care for your time or any efforts to help solve your issues.

Further, I am now disgusted after talking to many of my repetitive vendors about PayPal, and how paypal treats our valued vendors. To be honest, I am now reaching out to lobby my the federal government in Canada against paypal's monopolistic control of online payments. I will also be lobbying my vendors to add other forms of payment and phase away from poohpay. You treated me like garbage, you took my money, you treat all like garbage. Time for your reign to end. You owe Canadians a lot of money.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

For a week I have been trying to close my account online. It is difficult! You are offered to send an email or call 1-866... Good luck. In addition, do not apply for a PayPal credit card. There is no benefits offered with this card. I have closed the credit and the account. For many reasons, do not join this big tech's bank or credit.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

Paypal supports fraud and I've got all the receipts. I am a paypal consumer and seller. This experience is from a Seller's perspective who pays fees for the protection Paypal alleges it offers. On October 5th a customer placed an order and received her file. I have download records showing she downloaded the file. Four hours after she purchased, she filed a dispute stating she didn't receive the file. I provided proof she did, but also attached the file to my response with Paypal. So Paypal literally saw the file given to her. I also reached out to her, resent her original email and link as well as attached the physical file itself again. The fraudster didn't respond when she realized she was caught.

I reached out to Paypal and informed them that this was a fraudulent dispute and I'd like her reported. They said to escalate the claim so they could investigate her and close in my favor. I escalated it on October 11 and almost instantly they responded that they decided to close in the BUYERS FAVOR, but refund her out of their account and close the dispute so she could have the file for free. Now, this cost me nothing in terms of money, but it did cost me a week's worth of headaches going back and forth, getting download records, screenshots and emails in order to abide by Paypal's seller terms. It wasn't about the money at that point--it was the principle that they allowed someone to violate their terms of service and then be unjustly enriched. They failed to support their seller who follows all the rules and went above and beyond to ensure they had all the evidence they needed.

I called and recorded that conversation with Paypal. Paypal's rep admitted the evidence showed the customer received the file but that it was a fairly low purchase amount so they just closed it in her favor anyway. She said that's just how they deal with lower dollar disputes. The disputer gets the money and the item for free. DISGUSTING. She said they understood my concerns but that was how they do things. THAT'S HOW THEY DO THINGS? They facilitate fraud? Support it, even! So I told them they lost a seller. I won't do business with a company that supports or facilitates fraud. I removed Paypal from my website and they haven't even responded to my concerns. Awful company that should be investigated for facilitating fraud.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I received a email from PayPal on 8th September 2022, "You authorized a transaction. Money won't leave your account until the beneficiary company processes your order." Also a message "Instructions to merchant" "You haven't entered any instructions". I immediately called Paypal on the 8th September and asked them to STOP payment for the renewal, I was told by the gentleman that unless I authorize Paypal, money won't leave my account and that he will take care of it. But on September 13th Paypal took money out of my Bank of America Account to pay the subscription that I wanted to stop payment on.

I have never transferred any money to my Paypal account. I linked my Bank of America account to PayPal and used funds from there to pay whenever I needed to pay for any services through Paypal. This was my way of keeping my checking account at Bank of America safe. My grievances, the customer service personnel did not follow my instructions. My question is does PayPal have the authority to take my money out of my Bank of America Account to pay a third party. If they have the Authority then why do I need a PayPal account? I could pay directly for all services from my Bank of America Account.

PayPal author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

PayPal was founded in 1998, and eBay acquired it in 2002. The company now has nearly 200 million active customers, and in 2015 the company hosted approximately 4.9 billion transactions. Customers in more than 200 countries can use the company’s services and hold money in their accounts in 25 different currencies. Consumers can use the service to transfer money to other individuals, pay bills, make online purchases, make donations and obtain financing.

• Online payments: Consumers can use PayPal to check out on millions of websites. Those who are uncomfortable putting their credit card information on lots of different sites can pay with PayPal, ensuring their information is stored with a single company.

• Credit: PayPal Credit is the company’s financing option, which lets customers have flexible payment options. It can be used online, in stores and even to send money to someone else. Availability is subject to credit approval.

• App: Using the PayPal app, customers can make purchases in brick-and-mortar stores with their PayPal account, send money from their mobile device and check out with PayPal when shopping on their device. The app is available for Apple, Android and Microsoft devices.

• Recurring payments: Consumers can use their PayPal account to set up recurring payments for subscriptions for a variety of services, including Spotify, Netflix, Angie’s List, match.com, ancestry.com and more.

• Fees: Customers do not pay fees when they make a purchase with their PayPal account. When consumers send money to another individual’s PayPal account and use money already in their PayPal account or in a bank account linked to their PayPal account, there is no fee.

PayPal Company Information