2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.73/5

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

During the Covid-19 quarantine, my son wasn't able to work at the bar where he has been an assistant manager over the last five years. The bar still hasn't opened completely, but he was able to find employment in a different field in the meantime. However, the money he was used to making was diminished significantly. I have used Venmo several times to assist him financially and it has proven to be an easy and reliable way to provide help to loved ones without putting anyone at risk. Thanks! Stay safe and VOTE!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I recommend Venmo because it's easy to transfer money to and from friends. You can also write notes to remember the transaction. Venmo has 3 tricky aspects: First, finding people for the first time can be tricky. Second, you need to actively deposit money people send you. Otherwise Venmo stores it for you without interest. Third, as most social media companies - Venmo (over)shares private information. However, you can turn off sharing it with friends but I don't know their third party sharing policy.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Venmo is easy, fast, and convenient. Have used it countless times with no problems. The only issue I have is that the app does not allow you to stop payment. The recipient must send the funds back to you. What if you accidentally send to the wrong person and said person refuses to return the funds? I understand the transaction is an ACH so it's instantaneous, but would be a nice feature to have the option to cancel. Otherwise triple check your sending funds to the correct recipient beforehand.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I used this service to pay my friend for helping me out with odd jobs. It is easy to find a person's account with either their phone number, username or scanning their username. The funds are transferred fast and the person has the option to either pay a small fee to quickly transfer funds or pay no fee and wait a few days for their bank to transfer the funds. It’s my preferred service of money transfers. I feel like my information is protected and my money is safe. Highly recommend.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

It’s fast, easy and if you have money in it and your bank account does not. Bam! Transfer and you have it. It’s almost like a little savings account. It makes paying for things easy without having to have your bank card on you, or messing with cash. Myself It has made getting money to my daughter out of state A lot easier. Not to mention when she needs it fast, it there! And when she pays it back, no more snail mail waiting for the repayment.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Tried to get help making a payment from a well-funded bank account. Payment was declined but could not get answers as to why. I suspect it could’ve been due to an email change which I explained, or perhaps I made a request error. I never thought I would get answers such as, "We cannot tell you why your payment was declined. Try again." Which I did to no avail. Terrible chat service and by phone, got a similar non-answer by recorded message. A company has NO customer service if they can’t or won’t help with a problem. So I do not recommend Venmo. Chime or Skrill or any competitor should be used instead.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I have had my account for many years. My account was frozen without warning. Nobody would help when I called, chatted or emailed. They just kept telling me it was frozen and an account specialist is handling it and will get in touch with me. They asked for me to upload a copy of my DL. A month has gone by now and it's still frozen. I just received an email today stating they don't have any information on why or when it will be unfrozen. They also said THEY ARE KEEPING MY MONEY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!!!! I replied back to this email and am waiting. Such poor poor customer service and I can't believe they think it's ok to keep someone's money without a reason.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I my wife sent money to me and never received it. They said it under review. And it’s two weeks. They took my wife’s money and never returned it. They want receipt from me what the money is for. My wife sent money with a typo error and now it is under review. This money was hard earn by my wife. I had her pull everything out of account and transferred to her bank account will never use this company. User beware!!!

Original review: March 22, 2021

I have to write this to warn other users of Venmo that this company has zero fraud protection and what you see in their policies on website is just for show. Venmo does not resolve any fraud, so you will have to work with your bank or a lawyer to get your stolen money.

In January 2020 my Venmo account was hacked with absolute no participation from me (unlike usual scams that require some sort of pin verification or other mistake on the account owner side, I work in IT, so I wouldn't fall for those). Someone just got access to my account, changed attached phone number (I did not get any notification on email or phone about any of the changes or suspicious logins from another state), and four outgoing transactions totaling about $5k appeared on my account. I only learned about that when I tried to access my account from my phone and was not able to.

When I reset my password and saw all the changes and transactions I was shocked that Venmo allowed all this and did not send any alerts. I contacted Venmo support and they said "we did not locate evidence of unauthorized access to your Venmo account". Seriously? The account was accessed from a different state, changed the phone number on account, there are four ~$1000 transactions to random users, and all that did not look like fraud to them. Even worse, they said that my actions violated their user agreement, did not say exactly how (it's their policy not to tell you), and permanently deactivated my account. The only thing I did was submitted a claim, apparently that is a violation for them.

So, pretty much their lack of security allows hackers to access users' accounts even without social engineering, and their internal policies direct their support to just close the accounts of users who had been scammed telling them that they are in violation of something, and those same policies say NOT to give any explanation.

I was able to get my money back through my bank, they have a team of lawyers, and they were absolutely not surprised to hear about my case, apparently dealing with Venmo fraud is a routine for them. I hope the authorities eventually make venmo pay for their practices. Venmo should be accountable for misleading users and encouraging fraud like that. Attaching screenshots of standard "no evidence" and "it's your fault" response I got.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Tried to do an instant transfer and they gave no reason as to why and basically cut the conversation short. I have done everything correct. I won't be using Venmo in the future. There are much better services out there like Zelle.

Venmo author review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team