2. Finance
  3. Money Transfer

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.32/5

Venmo Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had a problem with Venmo and my bank where too many transactions came out of my bank and then when I transferred money to someone else via Venmo I then received an overdraft fee twice. I called my bank they said goodluck (they are a credit union and terrible now compared to what they used to be). I then called Venmo. Alexandra helped me out and was extremely helpful, they reimbursed me for the fees I received from my bank (thank you) and then she even followed up with me afterwards to make sure I received the funds in my Venmo account to then transfer to my bank. It was quick, kind of detail oriented but they resolved the issue within 1.5 hours.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I love this app for my lawn care business to receive payments when people are not home to pay. It faster and easier than receiving a check and with the new Venmo card I do not even have to transfer my Venmo balance to my bank to spend it. I can just use the Venmo card anywhere MasterCard is accepted and it deducts the purchase straight from my Venmo balance. The only thing that I think would bother some people is the social aspect of the default settings allowing everyone to see who you have paid and who has paid you, but this can easily be turned off in the privacy settings if you don't want this information public.

Though among friends to pay back for dinner or drinks it is kind of fun. Super great app. I don't understand the bad reviews at all. People just must not understand how to use it. Fast, free, easy, and fun. It is affiliated with PayPal and I trust that. Have not had a single issue myself. Hope some less grumpy people leave reviews instead of just a bunch of grumpy curmudgeons.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Hello, trying to understand so many negative reviews. There were times I had issues getting money, but only because of my own doing or not fully understanding. After I learned more about EVERYTHING! Including how to get and protect my money, I never had an issue. I would have given them a -4 a yr ago. Their customer service was very helpful. After my initial issues and learning more I never had an issue since. The convenience of this system always leaves something at risk. Especially in the www world. Hackers will find ways around everything. IMHO it is MY CHOICE if I chose to have personal information in the www world. There is NO PROTECTION in the WWW world. PERIOD!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Once in a while, my employer sends me money via Venmo. It’s easy to navigate, and your money gets there quicker than they say, many times. I highly recommended Venmo to anyone looking to send money for free easily.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My friend owed me over $2000 for shared expenses. Unfortunately he made the payment to the wrong Venmo account. The wrong account had a very similar user name to my account. The owner of the account the payment was incorrectly made to was unresponsive for days. Our worst fears was the money was lost, stolen. My friend and I approached Venmo separately, but trying to solve the same problem. I was very impressed with the Venmo customer service team. They were easy to contact via phone and email. They responded in a timely manner, even over the weekend, and followed up as appropriate. In a few days they resolved the problem and recovered my friend's money. Nice job to the service team. I see all these horror stories about people's experience and felt I needed to give the team credit when credit was due.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I have been using Venmo for a couple of months this time around (used previously). I experience issues accessing money, adding debit cards and simply just getting a Venmo debit card. I verified my identity with Venmo some time ago, however almost every time I have added funds I run into some type of issue or error trying to retrieve the funds. Support also responds with they can’t access “why” and it’s their system security. I’m all for security but this is ridiculous!!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

My child set up a Venmo account to send money to a bully at school. I called venmo to let them know that a child, my daughter, who I am the legal guardian of is using their app. Instead of helping, they said too bad that it violates the privacy of this minor to freeze her account. Now my daughter who has saved every birthday and Christmas gift is now drained of her savings and has been advantage of by both the bully and by Venmo.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I have had a Venmo account since 2016, which I opened because I live abroad for work reasons. Venmo was an easy way for me to reimburse my family while out of the country. However, when I changed my U.S. phone number I couldn't log onto my account to change the number since I was out of country. I contacted Venmo by email and went through a whole process (multiple emails) to change the number. Recently, I received an email from Venmo stating that my latest transaction history was available to view. When I attempted to log onto my account, because I had not used the account for a significant period of time, a two step verification was needed (which is a good security measure) except that the phone number for the verification message was still the old phone number I had spent countless emails trying to change the year before.

I again contacted Venmo by email but was told this time that I had to physically be in the U.S. to change the number. After multiple emails from me explaining that I just wanted to check my account and change the phone number on the account, I was still told I could do nothing unless I was physically in the United States. Being extremely frustrated, I asked that the account just be closed. The agent I was dealing with did so and sent me a "statement" (a pathetic excel spread sheet) by email with my bank account information highlighted in blue. I had to ask myself, how secure is this?? In summary Venmo refused to help me change a phone number on the account and instead chose to close the account and lose a customer. To add salt to the wound, they also chose to send sensitive bank information to me via email. The bottom line is that this company does not value security for the customer.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been using Venmo card from few months and I was really liking it a lot until I recently I tried to withdraw $400 from atm. Firstly I received message saying exceeded limit so I thought may because of atm fee it’s showing that then tried $380 so atm fee will be adjusted then received message insufficient funds which was not the case at all. I checked my Venmo app they did not dispensed money at atm but deducted whole amount from my account. I immediately contacted support. They didn’t had clue to support so they said, "It’s system error and our engineers are working on it."

I contacted them multiple times. Chatted with 4 different agents but since they had no clue they will keep on ending chat on you. Well I waited until Monday once phone support is going to be open, lady told, "We filed dispute and you need to wait for 10 business days for review to complete." Highly disappointing support. First of all you declined my transaction with wrong message on screen then you deduct money from my account and then you ask me to file a dispute and wait for money which Venmo took away to wait for 10 days. And I am not talking about $4 here. It’s whole $400 they took away and saying we have no clue right and will investigate. I will not recommend anyone using their debit card. Their support is worst and doesn’t know how to handle questions and they have no responses rather than saying we don’t know what some other department is investigating and there is no way to reach out to dispute drr EST department.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I had fraudulent activity on my Venmo account. Venmo denied it was their fault and tried to blame it on American Express. A couple months later a friend paid me on Venmo and hours later my account was “frozen” and I could NOT get my payment out until I unfroze the account. To unfreeze the account you must upload a picture of your Drivers License and upload pics of any bank statements that are linked to the Venmo account. The account was frozen because of the fraud so I am the one having to now jump through hoops. Why was there fraudulent activity account in the first place? They have treated me like I am the criminal. Horrible people to work with. They are rude and uncompassionate. Don’t use Venmo if you don’t have to. I used it to send my son money in college. I’ll use PayPal I guess even though they are the same company.....

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team