2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I got paid from the buyer who bought my laptop and tried to transfer my money to my bank account. Venmo froze my account I don't know why. It appeared Transfer canceled the money was returned my Venmo balance. I thought they are holding my money while they are Verifying my account. But it wasn't that simple, they returned money to sender who I don't even know and blocked me. They sent me email ask my ID, I sent it in one minute, and then nothing. Until I reach out customer support. 5 days later they said the money was gone and they are not able to get my money. I asked Customer support and send them email, they are very very very slow and know nothing. They are not specialist. I lost $1850 and my laptop. During this pandemic Venmo did very very bad job, this is not good at all. I will reach out Law enforcement I can't just let this happen.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I sent $100 to a friend on Venmo on June 8th. Unfortuantely, her venmo account is open, but she is unable to access due to losing password and losing all access on old phone. Long story short, I reached out to Venmo and was told that since the transfer was authorized, they will NOT retract my transfer and refund me. Instead, they wanted her to send an email to their support email. No human interaction at all. This is all done via chat or email. No manager or supervisor to talk to. She sent them an email and we never heard back from them. It's now September 5th and nothing has changed. We are just told to email, which she did but have not heard back. Very poor customer service and I basically lost $100. Please do yourself a favor and dump Venmo, bad experience.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I’ve had Venmo for several years. A few days ago I started receiving email coming from Venmo at support@venmo saying I needed to click a link to unfreeze my account. Even though the email looked legit I did not click on it and ignored it. Later that same day I received a phone call from the Venmo customer support number they have on file. The person on the other line said he was an customer support agent and that they wanted to talk to me about my account being hacked. This person walked me through several steps to supposedly protect my account and that of another person that was linked to this scam. Keep in mind that the person seemed to be calling from the Venmo customer service account and he was also able to make changes to my Venmo account on real time. Well after following through some of the steps he was walking me through I started getting an uneasy feeling so I decided to stop everything there and hung up on this person.

The next day I decided to contact Venmo through their live chat to explain what had just happened and to have them do something about to protect my account and that of the other Venmo customer involved. The person on the chat said that she had to refer my case to a different customer agent and that they would get a hold of me in a few days to resolve this. I received an email 4 days later saying that they had deactivated my account permanently because I violated their user agreement. Basically they completely ignored the fact that I had a serious issue and decided to deactivate my account. They treated me like I was the scammer and did nothing to protect me and obviously they will do this to anybody who has the same issue. Now I’m stuck trying to figure this on my own. If you have a Venmo account I would suggest to cancel it because if you become a victim of a scam through Venmo they will completely ignore you. They don’t care to protect their consumers.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I had a Venmo account a while back. I have since changed my e-mail address, phone and have a new laptop. I have tried to login into Venmo on my new devices. It sent a verification code to my phone. All good. It then tries to send an e-mail to my old email address when I try to login. I have emailed them 4 times about this, no response. I have moved to another payment platform. Venmo is useless.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Okay, so I have been with Venmo for over like 1 year. So, I started to chat with someone over the app due to Covid-19 and so I told this person that I had someone hack into my venmo account to send money to someone else. Then they hacked into my Facebook and I told them that. Then I get an email today saying that my account has been disabled due to the fact of their terms and use. Like excuse me I didn't even do any of this so why punish me for all of this. So, now they are telling me that they can't offer me service anymore. I find that very rude and mean.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

As an IT consultant and a veteran of the banking industry I would have never imagined that I'd see advertisements for a banking app inside something as deliciously sacred as fortune cookies. For this reason alone I recently made the switch from Venmo to Zelle. All joking aside, I had a security issue with Venmo and trying to resolve that was a nightmare because Venmo tries to act as a bank, yet you have to go to your bank to resolve any sort of issue with your funds. I use Zelle now because my network of family and friends have accounts with the banks that participate in the app.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Venmo is a great platform to get paid by almost anyone, however, if you ever have an issue, good luck getting it resolved. Their customer service is trash and their account specialist are useless! I have been trying to unfreeze my account for over two months even after verification. I’ve contacted them again and again and have been told that they can no longer help me! What?! You can’t speak to anyone and in order to get a specialist to help you have to reply to an email that never shows up. I want nothing to do with Venmo and want to cut all ties with them, but unable to do so because my account is frozen and I must speak to a specialist who never sends an email but was told (via chat) they can no longer help me. Oh what a vicious and tedious cycle.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I’ve had Venmo for years and have NEVER had an issue with them. I always preferred Venmo over all the other apps, up until today. Somebody who I knew somehow got into my account and sent themselves 200 dollars from my account. And when I tried to get my money back from the person they blocked me on everything so I could not contact them ever again. So I tried to get reimbursed by Venmo but they denied me saying it was authorized?? So now I’m out 200 dollars, just gone. And they won’t repay me. Honestly don’t even want to use the app anymore. So so so disappointing.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Venmo and Paypal is taking customers money. They approved my transfer and bank. But they didn't release it, instead they froze and blocked my account without explanation. I had $1,534 in my account. They won't release my remaining funds.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Online customer support from a Elizabeth W. who goes by Liz. Was attempting to resolve a transaction on a possibly being scammed. To make a long story short they did respond to my inquiry so I ended up going through by bank to see what they can do. In communication with Liz, she keep referencing that they could get funds from my bank and at no point she made it transparent that they did get the funds initially and then have to send it back to the bank due to a dispute I submitted through my bank. I got the impression my bank took the loss and I wasn't going to pay Venmo again to get my venmo account unfrozen. Also not to mentioned I asked Liz if my bank charged it back and she supposedly responded no. This is knowing that they did get the funds and sent it back to my bank.

Liz got me going through numerous hoops to provide them my bank statement showing venmo debited my account. I was hesitant at first but after a 1.5 week of back and forth I gave in and give her my statement. This is where everything hit the fan, Liz comes back and states that the funds was never debited from my account and never once mentioned before until now that they did get the funds and had to sent it back.

I simply went through all the trouble and agony just to be back to square one. The sad part is Liz had this information all along and she still made me went through the hoops knowing the end result will not change. Liz needs to be coached and retrained, she can't even do a simple job by being transparent with their users/clients. This was probably the worse customer service. Also to add that I requested to speak to a live person and apparently everything is online. Venmo needs to really go after the recipient of the funds and not the sender if the business transaction was not completed. There has to be a better way of protecting the users.

Venmo author review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team