1.79/5

213 Venmo Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had a problem with Venmo and my bank where too many transactions came out of my bank and then when I transferred money to someone else via Venmo I then received an overdraft fee twice. I called my bank they said goodluck (they are a credit union and terrible now compared to what they used to be). I then called Venmo. Alexandra helped me out and was extremely helpful, they reimbursed me for the fees I received from my bank (thank you) and then she even followed up with me afterwards to make sure I received the funds in my Venmo account to then transfer to my bank. It was quick, kind of detail oriented but they resolved the issue within 1.5 hours.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I love this app for my lawn care business to receive payments when people are not home to pay. It faster and easier than receiving a check and with the new Venmo card I do not even have to transfer my Venmo balance to my bank to spend it. I can just use the Venmo card anywhere MasterCard is accepted and it deducts the purchase straight from my Venmo balance. The only thing that I think would bother some people is the social aspect of the default settings allowing everyone to see who you have paid and who has paid you, but this can easily be turned off in the privacy settings if you don't want this information public.

Though among friends to pay back for dinner or drinks it is kind of fun. Super great app. I don't understand the bad reviews at all. People just must not understand how to use it. Fast, free, easy, and fun. It is affiliated with PayPal and I trust that. Have not had a single issue myself. Hope some less grumpy people leave reviews instead of just a bunch of grumpy curmudgeons.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Hello, trying to understand so many negative reviews. There were times I had issues getting money, but only because of my own doing or not fully understanding. After I learned more about EVERYTHING! Including how to get and protect my money, I never had an issue. I would have given them a -4 a yr ago. Their customer service was very helpful. After my initial issues and learning more I never had an issue since. The convenience of this system always leaves something at risk. Especially in the www world. Hackers will find ways around everything. IMHO it is MY CHOICE if I chose to have personal information in the www world. There is NO PROTECTION in the WWW world. PERIOD!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Once in a while, my employer sends me money via Venmo. It’s easy to navigate, and your money gets there quicker than they say, many times. I highly recommended Venmo to anyone looking to send money for free easily.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My friend owed me over $2000 for shared expenses. Unfortunately he made the payment to the wrong Venmo account. The wrong account had a very similar user name to my account. The owner of the account the payment was incorrectly made to was unresponsive for days. Our worst fears was the money was lost, stolen. My friend and I approached Venmo separately, but trying to solve the same problem. I was very impressed with the Venmo customer service team. They were easy to contact via phone and email. They responded in a timely manner, even over the weekend, and followed up as appropriate. In a few days they resolved the problem and recovered my friend's money. Nice job to the service team. I see all these horror stories about people's experience and felt I needed to give the team credit when credit was due.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: July 20, 2019

I pray everyone reads the amount of complaints Venmo has with the BBB and how all reviews are incredibly the same type of complaints. Worse customer service I’ve ever experienced in my life. I did a 300$ transfer from my OWN LINKED VERIFIED ACCOUNT THAT IS CONNECTED TO my Venmo account. They told me to wait 3 to 5 business days so since this happened on 7/13 I called 7/16 and wanted to follow up because funds had already been took out of regular bank. They said it is in process wait till the morning of 07/18. Ok I patient still at this time. I call on 07/18. They told me wait till 11:58 pm and call in AM. Now I’m getting upset but I still waited and sure enough still nothing.

I have called, email, chatted asking where my money in the air. Why is it not in my account and everyone of the employee told I have to wait for a email from higher level support ❓❓ and either hang up right after that or they end chat here. We are almost 7/21. No e mail, not call, no money, no explanation. I even went to the extreme of showing them documented conversation how the money is already out my account. Definitely some scam or fishy going on and I hope this never happen to anyone else. They should be SHUT DOWN OR GET IT TOGETHER. I WILL DEFINITELY ONLY BE USING PAYPAL. I’m going on 9 days out hundreds of dollars with zero dollars. Explanation totally unacceptable. They deserve negative STARS.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I was not Not able to cancel a transaction. The Payee did not want to finish setting up his account. So the Money is in limbo. I am Out 100 bucks. Very dissatisfied. I don't believe they are accredited even by ConsumerAffairs.

Original review: July 1, 2019

So I had a client send me money for their wedding. I transferred $500 to my bank account and when I woke up this morning they took $500 out of my account severely overdrawing it. Talked to 3 separate people who told me that I had to wait 5-7 days before this department would get back to me to resolve the problem. So now I'm going to incur fees because I’m not losing money over there mistake and I have stuff to do for my clients as well as pay my own bills. This was my first time using them because I typically use cash app but my client asked me if I could use Venmo never again. Worst service I’ve ever had. I’m in a bind now because I can’t use my account until this is resolved.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I received a $40 payment last week so I could get my boys some food after suffering a financial hardship and not having much money to keep food in the house. I was at work when received and immediately went to the grocery store after work that morning to get my boys some food for breakfast. Get to the checker and my cards declining, my cell is also disconnected for nonpay so only able to use if on wifi. So I step out of line to connected to Walmart's wifis and check my Venmo acct. No issues shown and the funds are there so we try again 3 more times, still declining. So I end up having to put everything back. Go to a corner in the store and attempt to reach Venmo. I tried to transfer my funds first to my bank and it's when I get an alert red banner saying my acct is frozen.

I have had this acct 3 yrs being introduced to it by my landlord being his preference for us to pay rent so I've used Venmo the last 3 yrs to pay my rent and now I have issue and frozen acct. so I reach Venmo, they tell me I need to wait to 2-4 days to hear from an acct specialist in a different dept to contact me and by email only. I'm furious by now. I get an email on FRIDAY 6/28/19 and the agent is telling me I have more than my acct, giving me my own acct, then lists my son's acct and some random acct I know nothing about. Asking me which one do I want to keep and delete.

I reply telling her first off my son is allowed to have an acct and whose acct isn't mine so why they are referencing his acct as being mine and a reason they feel they can freeze my acct is not acceptable. If it were my acct then Yes but how can they accuse me of having a duplicate acct and it's not mine? And the random one I never seen or heard of and is why they froze my acct. I didn't commit any violation by my son having an acct of his own and he's had his acct for sometime now, so how are they saying something now? Makes no sense.

In any event, I never heard back from the woman so today I looking to trying to get my funds and still froze so I reach out to their support team via chat and am told that my acct now required further review and will be 3-5 business days and this is the first time I have been advised such and I am pissed and would like to do anything possible to pursue action towards this company. I only have $32 in my acct but the fact that they have prevented me from being able to feed my kids when the money was sent to me because I had none. And having to borrow more money because of it. And for the trauma, hardship, trouble, etc. I want to go to the furthest extent possible and hope you can help me.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Someone stole my debit card info and used stole money out of my account - 5 transaction. This APP is a disgrace and they're so used to people committing fraud

that the call in process tells you call your bank!!! This company needs to be shut down!!

Original review: June 27, 2019

This is by far the worst most unsecure way to move money from person to person. Have had so many issues and then the account was frozen we are on almost a week of my money stuck in limbo and someone on the other side of tech support asking me for my id and bank statements. With all the fraud out there it seems super safe to be sending my personal info to people sitting at a keyboard in freaking India. They are so incompetent that they can only respond 1 time per day with automated responses generated so don't expect to intelligent of a conversation. Probably gonna be a month till this is resolved so I can shut down my account.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I ran my card as debit at a gas station I always use. I've use this gas station all the time with my other cards. I always see a hold, and then within seconds my balance reflects the correct amount. It's been two days since I made that purchase and there is still a hold on it of 50 dollars on my card. When I called customer service they tried blaming the gas station. It's them, I've even gotten gas with my other card at that gas station since, and no hold. Their customer service is extremely lazy and rude. They tell misinformation, and tell me to call back in four days.

Original review: June 26, 2019

How in the world is Venmo legally allowed to operate as a legitimate business? I used it several times, no problems paying and receiving payments. Then one day the dreaded "There was an issue with your payment. Try again later" message appeared. Multiple attempts over several days-no success. Added a debit card from a different bank. Money is available but got the same message. I contacted Venmo. My transactions raised a "security flag," whatever that is. Several emails with customer service. They don't know why and can't fix it for me. Their suggestion was to add a 3rd bank account or try a credit card for a fee. What kind of company can't tell a consumer why there is an issue? I deleted my bank information and then deleted my account. FTC should shut these scammers down. Will find a different option to use. Plenty others out there.

Original review: June 21, 2019

At first I thought Venmo was fantastic, then I came to learn that it’s not what it portrays. I sent money to someone not know their account was inactive, by Venmo. I tried to stop the payment in less than 24 hours and Venmo said it was too late. I stopped the payment with my bank and found out a day later Venmo supposedly sent the money to the account they made inactive and made my account inactive. They told me I owed them the money. The recipient of the money that I intended to send was and has not received the money. I tried to work it out with their customer service and they said, "Too bad. Have the individual contact us." They made my account inactive too. Do you see where the scam is? I hope so.

Original review: June 21, 2019

The last two payments I made for small amounts were held up and put under review for reasons unknown. First, it holds up my money, and my ability to pay for what I am paying for. Second, Customer Service can only read me a script instead of telling me why the payment is under review. Third, there is some mysterious "team" who has to email me to resolve it in 48 hours, which is too late for what I am trying to accomplish, and no way to get to this team to resolve whatever issue there is. Never had a problem like this before. Very frustrating and inconvenient. This is two times in a row. Customer service should be able to deal with small issues like this without going through all this rigamarole. Cash App works much better.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Recently was transferred money from a family member and going to instant transfer to my debit card. The same debit card I have used multiple times. Get an error code and customer service blames "The system does this and there is nothing we can do about it." I have used this service multiple times and it's an emergency. The ending response was, "We can't do anything. Try again later."

Original review: June 18, 2019

A lot of people want to pay me via Venmo and I had used the app a few times for splitting dinners and what not and it was fine. I was sadly mistaken about how easy I thought this was. My transfers started being denied and the customer service was actually hostile. "We can’t do anything about it" was the overall answer to most questions. I work in the back end of systems and holy smokes if this is true their secure system is broken and worthless. I lost about 175.00 that I will never get back. Stay away from Venmo.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I would never use Venmo again. They have 1.2 stars. I wonder why?? They will freeze your account if you dispute a transaction. After dispute is settled, 1. You have to change your password 2. Then you need to set up a pin. 3. You then have to email back to their original email and tell them you have done the above. Then they will tell you that you need to wait 5-6 business days for your account to be unfrozen.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have always used cash app and now I know why. I needed to transfer $750 to a different card so I used Venmo. Now my money is stuck!!! It won't let me instant transfer citing an error that the feature is "unavailable at this time" and I called customer service...They won't help! Basically said they cannot override it and in order to keep their systems robust they have features that have something to do with security and can't tell me why it keeps being declined. Sent the money to my boyfriend and same thing happened. I even downloaded the app on my mom's phone and sent it to her and THE SAME THING.

Finally, even though I needed this money to pay for something TODAY I resigned myself to the fact that I just need the money OUT of Venmo period most importantly so I was going to do a bank transfer and just wait the three days. Which is extremely inconvenient if you are talking hundreds of dollars for someone who is on a budget and needing to pay for something. Anyway, trying to connect my bank account was also a nightmare! It kept bringing up that waiting sign and just stayed stuck there like it was frozen after I logged in trying to connect the account. I'm not joking in that I have spent literally hours of my time today on this nonsense. Finally, I had to try to log in to an entirely different bank account because when it went through it said there is a problem connecting the account. After all of this, I finally initiated the transfer and I am upset, pissed off, and horrified that this app actually does this with people's money.

I don't care how many successful transfers the app has or how many people use it. If I had a nightmare like this that's one person too many to be playing around with people's livelihood. And from this site I KNOW I am not the only one. This company should be ashamed of themselves. I will NEVER EVER use Venmo again and I will work hard to spread the word about how awful they are. Square cash has never given me even the slightest problem. Never again Venmo. I don't even write reviews but I went out of my way to do this one because of how pissed off I am about my money. I should be able to access my money any time I want, especially given that I have now paid fees transferring it back and forth for absolutely no reason. And if your app isn't working then your customer service employees sure better be able to override and give people their own money!!!!

Original review: June 14, 2019

A customer service representative hung up on me after saying she would help me; an iPhone that other entities recognize as new isn't recognized for transfers of payments; and an Evelyn who is a different customer service representative from the one I have already mentioned failed to comprehend three questions out of three.

Original review: June 13, 2019

If you use Venmo, be aware of their service and the potential to have your account banned quickly with no explanation. I just had the most nonsense experience and even questioned if it was a well-designed scam. Venmo sent a series of emails to me saying someone who had transactions with me stole money from them somehow. It was vague and no matter what I said they refused to clarify, which looked really suspicious. They were pretty abrupt and hostile to then say my account was permanently banned, and they act as if it's my problem they had a security breach. I still don't know what "terms of service" I broke. All of my transactions have been just fine and normal, in fact I only used the service for a few months among friends and acquaintances for the usual trades.

I even offered to help, if someone I know stole money I could just confront them. How conveniently, Venmo "couldn't give any info". Funny how they didn't think to tell me the date of the transaction or the number, considering I know my own account and they don't need to give any private info. How convenient for them. I literally did nothing wrong and this popped up in only a few emails. Feel free to try Venmo for yourself, just be forewarned their customer service can be weird, suspicious and hostile with no explanation.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Started receiving declined transactions from my linked bank account (Chase). Chase said problem is not on their end. Also tried AmEx (which charges 3% and also was denied). Here is response I received from Venmo customer service. Not acceptable. "I'm sorry it appears our system is declining your instant transfer attempt, which means this feature is not available to you for this transfer. There are many reasons that a transfer can be declined due to our automated transaction review process. In order to keep our internal systems robust, our customer-facing teams don't have access to the exact reasons."

I realize this is frustrating, but as we don’t have a way to override the decline, the best thing to do would be to initiate a standard bank transfer. A standard bank transfer should arrive in 1-3 business days. Please note, transfers are reviewed and could be delayed or blocked if we identify an issue. Review may result in funds being frozen or removed from your account.

To send your available Venmo balance to your bank with standard transfer, there are a few quick steps that you'll need to follow:

1) Tap the "☰" icon in the upper left-hand corner of the app.
2) Tap "Transfer to Bank" from the available options.
3) Enter the amount you would like to transfer.
4) Tap the current destination (which is likely a card) and select your bank account.
5) Tap "Next".

6) Tap "Confirm Transfer".

Original review: June 7, 2019

If I could give negative stars I would. My son sent me $2000 to help me with some bills that were urgent to pay that day. I tried using my Venmo card to get cash from atms and tried to just make purchases and every time it declined the transactions and said to contact my bank. Well I don't have a bank account and that's why I downloaded the Venmo app and order the card because I had been told that it was very simple, convenient, and fast. I called Venmo and went thru about eight different representatives that couldn't help me. They blamed it on their internal security system and said no one in the company could override their system in order for me to get my money. They even told me that we couldn't get the money back to my son (the sender) so that he could send it to me another way. They just had no solutions, no manager or supervisor that we could talk to in order to resolve this issue.

They basically told me to let the card and account rest, not to do anything with it for they couldn't tell me how long before they would release my money. I ended up sending the money back to my son and he sent it to me thru MoneyGram. My whole experience with this company was complete bs and I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Oh they said that their system threw up a red flag for suspicious activity when all I did was try to use the card for a normal purchase and also try to get cash from an ATM. I believe these people are thieves and I will pass that information to anyone that I can in order to discourage them from trying to use them. They told me I didn't do anything wrong. No security issues with my account at all however I couldn't get my money and it was a cash to cash transaction so the funds should have been available immediately and it showed in the app that my money was there and available but I couldn't retrieve it nor pay my bills with the card and they couldn't tell me when I would be able to get my money. Now they are telling my son it could take 7-10 days before he could get his money back. Venmo is a scam and they are lining their pockets with our money people. So I wouldn't recommend anyone to use or keep using Venmo for any reason.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I purchased an expensive dress from a buyer. She said it's from a brand but after I paid it was from a different brand. I immediately called Venmo but they didn't help me and I was unable to cancel the transaction. I lost 750$ on Mother's Day. I will never transact through Venmo again.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I work hard for my money and I receive many of my payments from clients through Venmo. It hasn’t been an issue until recently when I tried to use my Venmo card to get cash out from an ATM. I went to 3 different MoneyPass ATMs where supposedly Venmo Card is accepted. I cannot get money OUT FROM ANY ATM, even my bank ATM where I would be charged a $3 fee. This is SO ridiculous because IT IS MY MONEY!!!! I need cash!! I’m just going to transfer my Venmo balance to my bank and keep my Venmo balance at $0.

Hopefully they don’t hold onto my money and not let me transfer it to my bank like I’ve been reading about in so many reviews. I always wondered how Venmo receives money and pays its employees, but now we all know that they hold onto people’s hard earned money and never release it. Essentially we are all being duped into the “ease” of sending money back and forth between people/clients when in reality we are just lining the pockets of the Venmo company.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Venmo has no protection whatsoever for the consumer. My account was hacked (through the app requesting verification and email change). Someone transferred $20 from me - not authorized and the fraud user had signed up that week. I didn’t get any notification except through email (that I don’t check daily). By the time I realized what had happened, the $20 was out of my linked bank account. I reported the fraud to Venmo at which they “reviewed” the account.

The fraud user name was then changed during the review (not suspicious at all!) and the fraud user feed had several other reports of fraud by other users to the listed transactions in the fraud user feed. Seemed like a no brainer for Venmo to see my little $20 was also fraud by this user. But NO! Venmo came back declining the claim. I rebutted with all the details of sign in (from Brooklyn- I’m in NJ), password change and $ transfer minutes later in a minute by minute timeline and provided my DL for identity verification. Venmo once again denied the fraud/hack and deactivated MY account for reasons they won’t disclose or give away their “protection methods for following user activity”. Now I’m the criminal apparently! And the fraud user account still active. Unbelievable. Venmo is the pits in my book.

Original review: May 20, 2019

They took $100.00 from me without permission and I'm not even able to get a hold of a representative to fix this. I want my money back asap or I will report you for stealing my money. This is exceptionally irresponsible from a a company. We don't even have a PayPal account nor did I give you any information to my bank account.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been using Venmo for years and I sent money to a wrong user so I contacted customer support. They were not helpful at all & should not get paid since they do not do any work other than saying, "We can't help you". There is a policy saying that they will send the person an email and get their permission but nope they don't even bother to send an email when it is their job. I'll start looking for other apps to use. Got my $200 stolen away from a thief company.

Original review: May 14, 2019

These people DO NOT CARE that I had my personal bank account frozen because of over a dozen overdrafts made by TOTALLY FRAUDULENT use of my debit card. I had possession of the card and no one had touched it or used it except myself until this business allowed some cyber criminal carte blanche use of it! My bank instructed me to call them. I did and was hung up on by an extremely rude representative who tried to blow me off. This is an evil organization. They receive 0 stars from me and I actually despise this rip off business!!!!

Original review: May 3, 2019

If the they offer a negative star that would be more fitting describe my experience with this Venmo debit card. All I did was transfer the remaining balance of an acct I had no debit card for. Venmo continues to decline my use of this card. It has caused absolute misery for me. If I was rich I wouldn't care, but I'm on a budget and depended on that money. I will never use that service ever again.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs