1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

132 Venmo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was introduced to Venmo as my son worked for someone who wanted to pay through Venmo. Not a problem, I got this! NOT! I accidentally added a closed account and my transfer was denied, I was notified and corrected it IMMEDIATELY. Venmo then made 2 deposits and 2 withdrawals, 1 for $ .08 and another for $ .28. It worked... NOT SO FAST... I then waited patiently for over a week and still no transfer. I checked the Venmo account and no money in the account and it’s not in my bank. 23 emails and I can’t tell you how many phone calls between Venmo and my Financial Institution I had... Here we are over 2 weeks later still working on it... One Customer Service Rep from Venmo said at one time he had 5... Count ‘em FIVE Supervisors looking into this and they could not figure it out!

I called my bank at Venmo’s request and got a trace number for which I then called Venmo back, AGAIN, and provided this to them. NOW, they are telling me they can’t locate the funds and will need A LETTER FROM MY BANK validating that my bank returned the funds. Good Lord! Help me... PLEASE! I transferred the money owed my son from MY MONEY and have since written VENMO OFF FOR GOOD! DONE, FINISHED, THAT’S IT! I’ve got WAY MORE than $120 bucks (the amount I personally paid my son from MY MONEY) of time and energy invested in this while Venmo keeps the money owed my son. I see all the reviews and all I can say is SCAMAROO!!! I will never have anything good to say about Venmo, ever!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I receive $1000 payment. It was in my account. I try to withdraw it and they froze my account. Asking me for a ID which I send over right away. Days later I hear back from them because the only communication is through email for this matter. The people’s on the phone are ** useless. They said further review your account has been permanently deleted. What the ** is going on. I’m out $1000 now. Was the payment from a fraud user or something. I don’t ** understand. Why would Venmo make me accept a payment and then days later tell me it’s a unauthorized source and now delete me. They will not communicate with me. ** crooks. Let’s sue this ** company. Sue sue. Class lawsuit. Looks like they have robbed tons of people. I have no acres to my funds and no 1 from Venmo will help me. They ghost me. Phone. Live chat and email. Said some ** truly sorry and goodbye. Are you ** kidding me with this**. Please someone help me ASAP.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Venmo kept my $250 and it's been over 12 days still refuses to let me get my money from my account. I tried using their venmo card everywhere and says, "Contact bank." I called them 3 times, tell me the same thing, and they even laugh when you are talking to agents. They know they're doing people bad. I did read reviews and complaints of other users being robbed in the same way. I'm being robbed by them. My wife is terminally ill and I need this money asap to pay my electric bill.

This is a Paypal company? What a shame they also own eBay Company!!! What a disgrace!!! Fraud!!! Shut this company down. It's not right stealing people's money like this. God help this fraudulent company. To all who are going through this contact FTC.ORG, put complaints in, and start a petition someone. Let's shut them down. If small companies get shut down then they can be shut down too. A billion dollar corporation robbing money? It's simply disgusting.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Like most of the recent reviews on here, I too just found out that Venmo permanently deactivated my account because my bank had to recover funds that Venmo held from me. This means that my Venmo balance cannot be deposited into my bank account and Venmo gets to keep it? How is this even legal? Support simply asked me to send a photo of my driver’s license to prove my identity before unfreezing my account only for them to permanently close it all together with no viable explanation.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

So I use Zelle & Cash App mainly and recently just tried Venmo. My buddy was sending me Christmas money. Long story short I contacted the customer service contact us on the app and Venmo froze my account for no reason at all and basically stole $160 worth of Christmas money doing this. I am so pissed I can’t even see straight. This app is a lie and a huge waste of time and money. Just PayPal inc. doing the best they can to say they are “preventing fraud” but really all they are doing is ripping people off. Be smart. Use any other money medium instead. Don’t be a victim. What a joke. Literally livid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I'm a victim like everyone else! I've read their comments about freezing your account & no help at all after you've done everything they requested! They froze my account without telling me a legitimate reason why. I have waited to pay bills & my funds are unavailable. I went through the whole run around only to still sit here with no help and money still frozen. This company needs to be shut down! Shut it down! Shut it down! There's no way they still can be operating with only a customer service agent available to talk that can't even solve your problem! Shut them down! Shut them down! Give me my money back & everyone else’s money back & shut down!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Lets all sue this company and close it permanently. They froze your account for no reason and they have T & C stating somewhere you should not take money from people you dont know, then what's the use of this service. I cant understand. Dont ever use Venmo. Literally thieves. Steals your money.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Worst company. The only company that automatically takes off our money owed without you doing so. So picture this, you plan on paying a bill on the 25th, but you got 100$ on the 20th, Venmo will that money with your say so. Can’t pay more important bills. And they don’t answer when you contact them. Let’s boycott this company before it keeps doing this to other people, I’m all for a capitalist economy but not like this.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Applied for debit card that never arrived. We live in a rural community where we receive mail at a USPS P.O. Box. Venmo will not send to a P.O. Box despite the fact that their only mail carrier is USPS. After several emails and a phone call and trying to suggest an update to my street address to include our P.O. Box number they refused to send without proof of address that included this which is impossible. So essentially they have denied us service based on our geographic location which is discrimination as far as I’m concerned.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I had almost 2000.00 worth of unauthorized Fraudulent charges against my bank account. I reported this to my bank and destroyed my card, they referred me to Venmo to speed up the process of stopping the fraudulent activity. What a waste of time!!! They offered no help to stop the ongoing fraud!!! They took no information, nothing!! This company exists to rip off innocent people and encourage thieves!!! I'm a retired person living on a limited income, now my mortgage payment and utilities will all be late. Happy Holidays and goodwill towards all means nothing... This the season to be ripped by and cause suffering and pain to unsuspecting innocent people. This company needs to be shut down!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Venmo is the worse app ever. DO NOT USE IT. On Thursday I sent $700 to my boyfriend and $209 to my aunt. My aunt received her money. It is Sunday and my boyfriend has not received the money for an emergency. They froze both of our accounts. They asked both of us to submit a copy of our IDs and bank statements in which we did. I received an email today stating I have to wait 10 more days for him to receive the money. Making it 14 days in order for this transfer to be complete. Venmo removed the funds from my account and refuse to help me. I am planning on suing them for this grave inconvenience, as I did everything they asked me to do and I have to wait on them to release my money. Worth less than one star.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had a friend do an emergency transfer to avoid overdraft bank fees. Usually Venmo would be the Savior in this. However, due to the required update, I can't make the transfer because my old iPhone doesn't take the new update. I can't afford a new phone, folks. Hence the last minute transfers. Don't make something that only becomes as inaccessible as everything else. The great thing to Venmo is being to access the money right away. I understand the push for new updates and all, but to think bigger picture. We used Zelle and I received the money right away without needed updates or fees. Bye Venmo.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I opened a Venmo account to "easily send money" to friends and family, shop online without exposing personal info, etc. Venmo has declined every transaction I have tried to make, including transferring my cleared available funds of $738.94 to my personal bank account. I tried sending money to my daughter and my mom only. I tried making a purchase on the Target app as they boast is so easy to do. Now, Venmo has frozen my account and will not give me any access to my money. My rent is now over a week late among numerous other hardships they have caused us because they have held my money since Nov 7th. I have called and called, emailed over and over as "that is the ONLY way to communicate with anyone about anything".

This morning I get an email saying they just need a copy of my driver's license to un-freeze my account. I immediately sent them a copy of my driver's license. I called to make sure it was received and all I could be told was that they had received it. I even spoke with a supposed manager who claimed "I just have to wait". Tonight, I get an email that my account has to be reviewed by an account specialist and that it will take them around 3-4 days to reach out by email regarding my account. From the numerous other complaints, it appears as though I will never receive my money.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I tried signing up with Venmo to send our son some money. He had used the service in the past, however, this was a first for me. I downloaded the app, and when I tried to add my debit card, it came up with an error message and informed me that my debit card had already been linked to an account. Again, I had never used this service before, nor had I shared my debit card info with anyone. I did a live chat with customer service for help just to find out that they REFUSED to tell me whose account my card was linked to, or if it had been used.

They told me that they removed the card from the account and that I would now be able to link the card to my account. They said, "in order to protect the privacy and security of our users we can not give you that information". So, they will protect someone who is fraudulently using my card and my hard earned money... but will not tell me who, when or how much was taken. Nor will they refund any money taken from my account! I was told to talk to my financial institution... which I am doing... but WTF? Why would you protect someone who is fraudulently using your service??? I will report this company... and will also be writing a review on the BBB. This is the problem with the world today. Let's protect the crooks and tell the hardworking man/woman to shove it where the sun doesn't shine! ** YOU VENMO!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Venmo promotes the app as a useful tool that provides instant access to funds... totally FALSE! Not only do they make it nearly impossible to get a live person on the phone, but when they do they simply refer you to your financial institution as a way of deflecting blame! Horrible app/company to deal with. Save your time, your money, and your sanity and go elsewhere!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I wanted to get a poster from a friend but she needed the shipping costs, so I decided to revisit my old Venmo account. Since PayPal wasn’t an option, and Venmo has my phone number in their system, I attempted to log in. Only I couldn’t log in. I changed my password twice, and when it still didn’t work, I emailed customer support. Customer support asked for my state ID, which I really shouldn’t have done, but I was desperate. That didn’t work, so they froze my account because the state ID and the account ID don’t match. BUT IT'S MY ACCOUNT. No one else has access but me. Just ridiculous. PayPal was even worse, because Venmo is owned by them. Also I would make another account but my phone number is in Venmo’s system, so that idea is out. I’m so DONE with money-sending services after this. They do nothing but cause you more stress.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I used credit cards, my bank account and incoming transfers to make payments, all of which have positive balance. Venmo randomly decided that some payment "raised a security flag" and their customer support claims that they have no means of lowering that flag. A week and a half later I still can't pay even $25 to a friend. My credit cards and bank have nothing to do with this freeze; I've contacted them as well. It's all at Venmo's end. Most frustratingly, even after receiving more funds from my friends, I can't pay anyone. It's a shame that this app got so popular, because now I really rely on it. I wish there was a better alternative, but not everyone has both PayPal and Venmo accounts. I truly hope that Venmo can implement a bit more common sense in their system and empower their reps to solve these issues with customers. That's what your reps are for! What CAN they do if not fix problems like this?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I do not have a Venmo account, although both my husband and I have a Paypal account. We got hit with $1960.86 in 19 transactions occurring back to back in our checking account. You can't get anyone on the phone and they refer to your financial institution (which I'd already contacted), but they will not offer any protection for future. So, now I am awaiting money to return to our account, dealing with other paid transactions from me being returned and already show $216 in overdraft fees I hope to get back from my bank. I also now have to close account to feel safe and reopen another. I've had this checking account for over 20 years. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

This service is absolutely terrible! They've freezed my account and I haven't even used the account yet! My friend sends me money one time for our Halloween party and I tried to transfer to my bank and they just froze my account for no reason. Do your research. This “business” has been doing this to hundreds of people online. Beware of this company - they will freeze your account and keep your money. Stay away from them and Paypal!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I am having the absolute worse experience with this "company". I've been waiting now for 5 days for a bank transfer that I initiated on Venmo! It has been a horrible experience with this company. The app said it would be transferred the next business day on 10/16 and crazily is still saying that. No update in the app whatsoever. Now on the 5th day, my money isn't in my Venmo account and it hasn't been transferred to my bank account.

This company is absolutely TERRIBLE!! No one is able to assist when I call customer service (I've called 3 times) and apparently they only handle real issues (like taking/holding people's money for no good reason) by email, such cowards! I keep getting automated messages by email, then finally some person named Perry O responded saying he is "assisting" with my case (which I still have no idea what the case actually is) only to ask me to send personal information.

I've since confirmed my identity by sending my ID, then also a copy of my bank statement (3 days ago) confirming that I own the bank account. And STILL I HAVE NOT GOT MY MONEY! Only another message asking for yet more documentation, and the NERVE to send me a message asking about my feedback on the service I'm receiving!! LIKE WHAT??

I STILL don't have my money!! Venmo hasn't told me why there is a problem and why they keep asking me for more personal information after I've already supplied them with more than enough. So I feel like my security and my money is at stake right now. I feel so helpless because it's been 5 days and my over $1k is just nowhere. So I guess I will be sharing about this EVERYWHERE until Venmo returns my money.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

This company is the biggest scam. How do they stay in business? After transferring money to my boyfriend of $100, they froze both of our accounts! Now we can't get the only money we had left for the month. Useless customer service. BS story. Don't use them!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I deposited $775 and they have lost my money. It hasn't been transferred and you can't get in touch with anyone. Don't use these people. I have been calling all week sending emails and nobody helps. This company must be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

A family member had an unexpected crisis. I set up a transfer of $1000 but she could not instant transfer it to her account. She sent it back to me. I could not get instant transfer it back to my account, either. Are these people not regulated? Customer service can provide no assistance, provide any answers.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Ok. My paycheck was originally deposited to a prepaid card called Chime. However it was not suppose to. When I called Chime several times to see how can I get my money without having a card they gave me several options and Venmo was one of them so an agent from Chime told me to download Venmo on two separate devices to transfer the money so that I can have it added to a debit card. I did just that. Well after trying 7 different debit cards neither one worked. So I’m now calling Chime and Venmo customer service back and forth as well as chat. So finally they say if you know someone you can trust you can send to them.

So I had my sister too download Venmo app and I transferred my funds to her accordingly to what Venmo represented stated I had available and that didn’t work. So she transferred the money back cause I’m like it shouldn’t be but $** so I tried transferring the amount back to Chime and was given a date of 10/2/18 that funds of $835 will be transferred only to get an email 10/1/18 stating my account with Venmo has been closed and that I needed to send my id. Keep in mind I already had done previous by sending to someone name Micheal. At this point I just want my money. That’s all the income I have and I have incurred late fees for not being able to pay my bills as well as not being able to pay rent and I was told that it can take another 2-5 days to resolve case.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I had an issue where I needed to send someone money right away for a personal issue. This was all the money in my account. When I transferred it to my friend, he couldn't get the instant transfer right away. That should never have happened...we tried several times to send and re-send the money back and forth and Venmo held my money. They said they could not expedite it and the only way to receive it back was to do the "Bank Transfer" which takes 1-3 days to show up. I do not recommend Venmo, especially if you are looking to send money for an urgent and personal issue. The customer service was terrible too. They basically hung up on me. I am deleting my account as soon as I get my money back. NO COMPANY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HOLD YOUR MONEY, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT CAME IMMEDIATELY OUT OF THE BANK!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This company is a complete scam!!! Do not waste your time here. They sent $100 dollars of my money that I received over the weekend to someone else because this person had my number prior to me having it. Mind you these people are closed over the weekend. Then they told me that they couldn't go into the other person's bank account to retrieve & asked if I would want someone to go into my bank account. Then went on & on about how there was nothing that they can do.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

(VENMO)... THIS COMPANY should have ALL investors, executors, representatives JAILED because they get money, take money, do NOT give it to the people it belongs to, make up lies, say they can't do anything, make it appear with the "FROZEN ACCOUNT" gig that you did some very bad things and they closed your account when the only thing you did was download the app, work for someone who paid you through them and then WANTED YOUR MONEY SENT TO YOUR BANK.

They ask for MORE information, bank username, password, shows your bank balance, want your photo ID. HELL the government doesn't even ask for that much. THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS - have spoke to a rep who claims she can't do anything except transfer the complaint over to a "support team member" when asked what her supervisor name is, she doesn't know or can't give it out. Ask who the owners of the company are, she hasn't a clue. THIS IS A VERY BAD company and it says it's based out of New York, I have filed a complaint with the lady Attorney General of New York, but don't have much faith in how far that would go.

They got a Bernie Madoff who made off with billions so some little company only stealing a couple million is probably not worth their time. We'll see, I am only out my $40.00 and have changed my banking info, not sure if my identity will be stolen but have tried protecting myself after this experience as much as I can. BEWARE PEOPLE... Just because your friends say they all use it or something, CHECK IT OUT FIRST, google and read reviews.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I can't even begin to explain the amount of hell Venmo has put me through! When you call customer support, they ask you to send your photo ID via email to verify your identity. I thought it was a little unsafe but did it anyways as I needed assistance. I then start getting really strange emails from Venmo about my account along with a text message with a verification code. I click the app to see what's going on & I had $1,150 fraudulent charges that came out of my bank via Venmo! So, I file a claim. Go through the entire process & they notified me that everything was fixed and my bank returned my money. I still decide to not reactivate my account because it was such chaos that I didn't want to deal with it ever again.

Not even 2 WEEKS LATER Venmo reopened my account to a hacker and it happened all over again! This hacker was able to access my photo ID (you guessed it) from my email to Venmo & has not only hacked me but claimed my identity. I was sent screenshots of the hacker trying to buy cryptocurrency with all of my information - full name, address, bank information, photo ID, and email address (which they were able to hack into as well). Venmo literally completed multiple job tickets from the hacker helping them access my account. IDK what is going on, but I highly recommend everyone stop using the app.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I initiated a 100 USD transfer from my bank and Venmo froze my account. To unfreeze my account and the 100 USD they required ID and bank statements by email. I refused and now they refuse to return my money, even to the same account. This is a scam to get your $ and/or your info. Don't do it.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

So, VENMO has me pissed off enough to reopen my FB account to let everyone know that these ** are up to no good. I set up an account and made 7 transactions in the last few months, rent, car parts etc. Then I get this suspicious email explaining that I need to send a copy of a federally issued photo ID ie: drivers license or my passport to them via email, for verification. I refuse and ignore the email thinking is was just spam. It is not. Venmo truly froze my Venmo account. They refuse to reinstate it without my sending them photo ID via email. DO NOT EVER DO THIS. This is an invitation for any hacker to gain you personal information and should NEVER be asked for especially by a company owned by PayPal (who I have been a user and member of since it's inception with no issues ever).

Turns out there are hundreds possibly thousands, of people in the same boat as me filing complaints against Venmo. VENMO IS UP TO NO GOOD. So after a dozen or so emails and phone calls I decide that since they will not reopen my account without my sending them photo ID via email I decide to close my account and move on. But no, they will not close it either. I am ready to contact an attorney. STAY AWAY FROM VENMO.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs