1.03/5

111 Venmo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I deposited $775 and they have lost my money. It hasn't been transferred and you can't get in touch with anyone. Don't use these people. I have been calling all week sending emails and nobody helps. This company must be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

A family member had an unexpected crisis. I set up a transfer of $1000 but she could not instant transfer it to her account. She sent it back to me. I could not get instant transfer it back to my account, either. Are these people not regulated? Customer service can provide no assistance, provide any answers.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Ok. My paycheck was originally deposited to a prepaid card called Chime. However it was not suppose to. When I called Chime several times to see how can I get my money without having a card they gave me several options and Venmo was one of them so an agent from Chime told me to download Venmo on two separate devices to transfer the money so that I can have it added to a debit card. I did just that. Well after trying 7 different debit cards neither one worked. So I’m now calling Chime and Venmo customer service back and forth as well as chat. So finally they say if you know someone you can trust you can send to them.

So I had my sister too download Venmo app and I transferred my funds to her accordingly to what Venmo represented stated I had available and that didn’t work. So she transferred the money back cause I’m like it shouldn’t be but $** so I tried transferring the amount back to Chime and was given a date of 10/2/18 that funds of $835 will be transferred only to get an email 10/1/18 stating my account with Venmo has been closed and that I needed to send my id. Keep in mind I already had done previous by sending to someone name Micheal. At this point I just want my money. That’s all the income I have and I have incurred late fees for not being able to pay my bills as well as not being able to pay rent and I was told that it can take another 2-5 days to resolve case.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I had an issue where I needed to send someone money right away for a personal issue. This was all the money in my account. When I transferred it to my friend, he couldn't get the instant transfer right away. That should never have happened...we tried several times to send and re-send the money back and forth and Venmo held my money. They said they could not expedite it and the only way to receive it back was to do the "Bank Transfer" which takes 1-3 days to show up. I do not recommend Venmo, especially if you are looking to send money for an urgent and personal issue. The customer service was terrible too. They basically hung up on me. I am deleting my account as soon as I get my money back. NO COMPANY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HOLD YOUR MONEY, ESPECIALLY SINCE IT CAME IMMEDIATELY OUT OF THE BANK!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This company is a complete scam!!! Do not waste your time here. They sent $100 dollars of my money that I received over the weekend to someone else because this person had my number prior to me having it. Mind you these people are closed over the weekend. Then they told me that they couldn't go into the other person's bank account to retrieve & asked if I would want someone to go into my bank account. Then went on & on about how there was nothing that they can do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

(VENMO)... THIS COMPANY should have ALL investors, executors, representatives JAILED because they get money, take money, do NOT give it to the people it belongs to, make up lies, say they can't do anything, make it appear with the "FROZEN ACCOUNT" gig that you did some very bad things and they closed your account when the only thing you did was download the app, work for someone who paid you through them and then WANTED YOUR MONEY SENT TO YOUR BANK.

They ask for MORE information, bank username, password, shows your bank balance, want your photo ID. HELL the government doesn't even ask for that much. THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS - have spoke to a rep who claims she can't do anything except transfer the complaint over to a "support team member" when asked what her supervisor name is, she doesn't know or can't give it out. Ask who the owners of the company are, she hasn't a clue. THIS IS A VERY BAD company and it says it's based out of New York, I have filed a complaint with the lady Attorney General of New York, but don't have much faith in how far that would go.

They got a Bernie Madoff who made off with billions so some little company only stealing a couple million is probably not worth their time. We'll see, I am only out my $40.00 and have changed my banking info, not sure if my identity will be stolen but have tried protecting myself after this experience as much as I can. BEWARE PEOPLE... Just because your friends say they all use it or something, CHECK IT OUT FIRST, google and read reviews.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I can't even begin to explain the amount of hell Venmo has put me through! When you call customer support, they ask you to send your photo ID via email to verify your identity. I thought it was a little unsafe but did it anyways as I needed assistance. I then start getting really strange emails from Venmo about my account along with a text message with a verification code. I click the app to see what's going on & I had $1,150 fraudulent charges that came out of my bank via Venmo! So, I file a claim. Go through the entire process & they notified me that everything was fixed and my bank returned my money. I still decide to not reactivate my account because it was such chaos that I didn't want to deal with it ever again.

Not even 2 WEEKS LATER Venmo reopened my account to a hacker and it happened all over again! This hacker was able to access my photo ID (you guessed it) from my email to Venmo & has not only hacked me but claimed my identity. I was sent screenshots of the hacker trying to buy cryptocurrency with all of my information - full name, address, bank information, photo ID, and email address (which they were able to hack into as well). Venmo literally completed multiple job tickets from the hacker helping them access my account. IDK what is going on, but I highly recommend everyone stop using the app.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I initiated a 100 USD transfer from my bank and Venmo froze my account. To unfreeze my account and the 100 USD they required ID and bank statements by email. I refused and now they refuse to return my money, even to the same account. This is a scam to get your $ and/or your info. Don't do it.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

So, VENMO has me pissed off enough to reopen my FB account to let everyone know that these ** are up to no good. I set up an account and made 7 transactions in the last few months, rent, car parts etc. Then I get this suspicious email explaining that I need to send a copy of a federally issued photo ID ie: drivers license or my passport to them via email, for verification. I refuse and ignore the email thinking is was just spam. It is not. Venmo truly froze my Venmo account. They refuse to reinstate it without my sending them photo ID via email. DO NOT EVER DO THIS. This is an invitation for any hacker to gain you personal information and should NEVER be asked for especially by a company owned by PayPal (who I have been a user and member of since it's inception with no issues ever).

Turns out there are hundreds possibly thousands, of people in the same boat as me filing complaints against Venmo. VENMO IS UP TO NO GOOD. So after a dozen or so emails and phone calls I decide that since they will not reopen my account without my sending them photo ID via email I decide to close my account and move on. But no, they will not close it either. I am ready to contact an attorney. STAY AWAY FROM VENMO.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

My bank account randomly stopped working through Venmo one month. I had to reverify my bank and went through the necessary steps to do it. When I asked customer service why this randomly stopped happening, she was unable to help. She had no idea why. I asked if she could escalate this on the back end and she said she couldn't. There was no one to escalate this to.

A few weeks later, after re-verifying my bank, I tried to make a payment, and my payment was once again declined. When I reached out to customer service this time, they said a security flagged had popped up but they don't know why. They are unable to see that. I was told the issue would resolve itself. I told them, "This is the second time I am having an issue with my bank account being linked and could someone please look into why this is failing to work?" They said they were unable to do that. There is no department to escalate things to. So when technology breaks on through Venmo, their answer is "SORRY! Try using PayPal, the parent company" (FYI, I finally did use PayPal and my bank account worked seamlessly). This is 100% a Venmo issue and the fact that they refuse to look into it for their customers is extremely frustrating.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

It’s as if they don’t even listen to what you say! Okay I made mistake of not paying attention to balance in my checking account and sent Venmo payments when I didn’t have money in my main account! So I deal with my bank and all the overdraft charges! See I had to pay bank back for the money that they covered! This is normal with a lot of banks as they cover your charges then charge you up the butt in other charges! Well lo and behold I go to use my Venmo because I had over $100 in there and my account is frozen!

So I do the whole chat thing and they tell me they also covered all those charges and I owe them too! WTH. So now I’m being double charged for charges I already paid!! I send them bank statements and they feel my evrn have decency to look at them! They just act like I didn’t send them that and keep repeating if I’d go make a payment on money I owe that I then can have my account unfrozen! People at Venmo, I could care less about getting my Venmo account unfrozen, no I want the money you stole from me that I had in that account before all this happened!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My account has been frozen for 3 weeks now. I have sent in 6 requests to have my Account unfrozen so I can go ahead and transfer my money into my bank. I have yet to hear back from anyone or get any help. I am just about ready to get a lawyer involved at this point.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Worst customer service ever!!! Hard to believe this is same company as PayPal. Most unhelpful and condescending customer service that would only communicate through chat. I gave them document after document proving identity and yet they would still ask for more. I finally closed it completely frustrated with their lack of help and I’m not even completely sure I wasn’t being scammed into sending the info I did send. There are too many other companies you can use to send money, run away as far as you can from Venmo.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I recently had downloaded and used Venmo. While creating account, they do not ask anything. As soon as you create account and transfer money, they will frozen your account for some nonsense reason and ask thousand times to send your identification document (Driver License) and will inform you that you will receive an email in few days with the issue. I immediately closed my account after experience very bad response from the contact team. Chat option never worked. In nutshell "Do not download and use VENMO". It will waste your time, efforts and you have to struggle to get back your own money.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The fact that this company can somehow tie up my money by arbitrarily freezing my account, then proceed to tell me that I have to send bank and credit card statements along with Photo ID through an email to “verify” my account, is a little shady and not trustworthy to be honest. You can only work through email correspondence to have your account unfrozen! Also they ask for obscured Photo ID but then say a passport and DL are obscured! In this day of fraud and identity theft, this unprofessional company is playing with fire. I predict a class action lawsuit in their future. I suggest avoiding at all costs. I asked them to cancel my account immediately and I have now put alerts on my bank account because of them! I have reported them to the BBB also.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Their website is a mess. I cannot access my account despite several attempts from different devices and browsers. Resetting my password does nothing. It is just dozens of 403 forbidden errors. I want to move $100 a friend sent me to my bank. Instead, I've spent months trying to get into the website. When I called, two reps said I had to email a copy of my drivers license, passport, or other non-expired photo ID with all my personal details to them. WHAT?! Who would do that?

Original review: July 25, 2018

I had never heard of VENMO util I saw a $1450.00 charge to my bank account. Somehow they had my debit card information and removed money from my account. I have never had an account with them. Be very careful of this company.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Desperately needed assistance from a friend on a cruise after property was stolen (including my phone). I had to use my son's phone to attempt a money transfer but could not receive 4 digit code because my phone was stolen. Venmo had me go through a long "alternate" validation which resulted in them suspending my account. I then advised the friend to cancel the transaction so she could get her money back. Not allowed. She was told to have me email the rep to authorize accessing my account.

I did that but still not allowed because it had to be from the email address associated with Venmo. Did that and still not allowed, required to call (which I could not do on a cruise ship). when I returned, I got a replacement sim card for an old phone and validated my identity. I planned to transfer MY money to my bank account. When I attempt to do it, it says there was an error and refuses to allow it. Opened 2 tickets myself for assistance (total of 3 now) and still cannot get money.

Original review: July 24, 2018

When I tried to create a Venmo account I was surprised with the fact that my account was frozen because someone else had registered an account with my bank information! I made a complaint and sent them my ID information as requested... They closed and permanently removed ME from Venmo. The real ** owner of the bank account. Idk what the hell they are doing, but they are backing the thief who is fraudulently using my bank account and debit card information! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Original review: June 29, 2018

The fact that this company can somehow tie up a $2700 payment by arbitrarily freezing my account, then proceed to tell me that I have to send bank and credit card statements along with ID through an email to “verify” my account, is a little scary to be honest. When I was actually able to get someone on the phone, they informed me that they did not have the ability to unfreeze my account but that I had to work through an email correspondence to get my frozen capital. They should have returned the money directly to the sending bank. They have no legal jurisdiction to hold the funds in any sort of escrow account. In this day of fraud and identity theft, this unprofessional company is playing with fire. I predict a class action lawsuit in their future. I suggest avoiding at all costs.

Original review: June 28, 2018

At the request of my landlord I made a Venmo account to pay my rent. I paid security deposit, then a month later when I sent the rent payment, Venmo froze my account *after* they took the money from my bank. They said it was due to a security concern. Again, my bank has *already released* the payment. Venmo has my money. There is no security issue. And Venmo froze my landlord's account too. I had to send a photo of my driver's license and a bank statement to Venmo, and they emailed me that they will resolve the situation in 10 days. Nonsense. The payment went through; there shouldn't be anything to resolve! Thanks to Venmo, I now have to come up with a second rent payment, because my rent is still due. I'm just hoping they release my money in 10 days. Do NOT use Venmo!

Original review: June 25, 2018

They had the menu option 'greyed out' where it read "Friends incur a 3% processing fee..." I wasn't sending to a friend. Instead, the green text showed Free In App or Online.. Yet they charged me the fee... about $8 total... very misleading.

Original review: June 12, 2018

These people are awful. I thought I set up an account. Someone sent me a cash transfer, but my phone number was not correct. So they will not send it to my bank account, return it to the sender, nor correct the phone number. After 6 months they KEEP IT. Be VERY Careful when using this service. They have no interest in solving problems. The default for them is to do nothing and keep the money. It is awful. It is NOT quick and easy - nor risk free. However, since the money being sent has not been received, and transaction can be reversed. Sellers should know this. A TOTAL rip off.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Account frozen without explanation or chance for recourse. Venmo is ridiculous. First they freeze accounts stating it has been "suspended due to recent activity that appears to be a violation of our User Agreement" and write "if you would like to reactivate your account, please reply to this email with a picture of your unexpired US government issued photo identification to begin the review".

However, after sending the requested information, they then state "Your account was recently assessed for high risk activity and was determined to have significant potential for creating loss to Venmo. Due to the level of risk associated with your account, we're unfortunately unable to unfreeze your account for continued use." And refuse to elaborate any further. With such serious accusations, consumers obviously require an explanation of what it was that triggered the account being frozen, and as in my case, to contest it as the accusations are, quite frankly, ridiculous and downright offensive.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It's design, ultimately, is for use with other Venmo users, which is limiting. That is compounded by the limited number of financial institutions you can even link. So in other words, if Venmo doesn't play nice with the other money kids on the block - they just don't let you link to them and your money is held in Venmo purgatory. Ironically, PayPal (which in of itself is a racketeer) owns Venmo but Venmo cash can't be transferred to your PayPal account. Wow, just wow. I literally opened and closed my account within four hours of trying to navigate ways to actually get my money transferred the hell out of Venmo's hostage hole.

Original review: May 25, 2018

VENMO STRIKES AGAIN... MY ACCOUNT IS FROZEN AGAIN... I have been waiting 5 days for a response, sent them my ID's multiple times, bank statements, copies of credit cards and they still haven't fixed my issue. Why have a company where you can send money to and from your family in an emergency situation and then they freeze your account and you can't access it AND you can't get your "account specialist" to respond to you. Customer Service told me just now that I will just have to wait for them to email me and my "Account Specialist" has other customers. Are you kidding!?!? She basically told me that my issue doesn't matter and there is nothing she could do about it. After I retrieve my money (if that ever happens), I will NEVER use VENMO again! Horrible experience.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I sent a payment of 1000.00 to a friend, my account was immediately frozen. I contacted customer service and got the account security team will contact you. They did and ask for photo ID, I sent what they ask for. It has been at this point 3+ days ago. I requested they process payment to my friend or refund my money. At this point, I have contacted customer service 2 times a day. Still no action or word from security team. Where has not Federal Consumer Commissions Closed these people down and jailed some of them? PayPal is the parent company they should be fined and someone there jailed.

Updated on 05/25/2018: This is an update on earlier report. The people at Venmo got tiered of flipping coin and canceled my account. (Don't care) but they immediately tried to deflect my demand for the refund of my payment money. They tried to blame receiver and my bank. I checked both quickly. Filed a dispute with bank (fraud). Demanded my refund again, this time it was need more ID and proof of payment. Odd they had enough to try and steal my payment but I sent them what they ask for. I will have to ride them like a bike to get action. By the way this Venmo is a part of PayPal. Will update you if I get refunded. Thank you.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My son is a doctor and he sent me money for Mother's Day. It said to use my debit card for immediate payment. They refused several of my debit cards and asked me to verify my bank acct. and I did. It said that I would have to verify deposits and withdrawals. Which I did then it said the money would be there tomorrow which it wasn't. Lie after lie.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I tried working with Venmo to give me my money ($3,000) or return money to sender and they refused to do so. Spent 10 days trying to work with them. I filed a complaint with PayPal's internal hotline. Go online and file a complaint. Search for Compliance under PayPal.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Received money from my kids to share buying a mother's day present ALMOST without a hitch. Was a bit spooked because I saw a list of financial transactions (without the amounts) of various Facebook friends... On the other hand my youngest son says he and his friends have been using it for 3 years with no real complaints. Not a huge fan, and they HAVE demonstrated that they can withdraw money from my account as well as deposit it with their verification process, but it's not a one-star review.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs