1.21/5

183 Venmo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

Couldn't add a card to my account. I contacted customer service & they said system denied it because of "security flag" and they have no authority to override the system. I asked for whoever has authority to override control & resolve this issue. Once again, service rep told me that NO ONE has authority to override the system. I trying adding a bank account. I was successful. Wait... What...? If there was "security flag", I was not expecting to add a bank account. So, I can add bank account, but can't add my bank's debit card? I'm so confused.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The stories that you read are TRUE! I received money on my cash app from a friend and transferred it to my Venmo since I had that card readily available. I attempted to get gas after work and the card declined even though funds were available. I changed my pin and attempted to try again but failed... I instantly withdrew my funds from my Venmo all to figure out it would never arrive. I called Venmo and they attempted to shift blame on my bank. They had no idea why it declined but stated “security reasons” ... like wtf. They also tried to get me off to the phone because they knew I wouldn’t see my money and they knew they were closing. I tried online chats and everything and all they can say is “call your bank”.

Note Venmo gave me 2 issues within minutes of each other but I’m the one that has my call my bank??? Wow. I told them I would complain because that’s really sad that they just steal money! I demanded my trans fee back and they put it into the very account that I tried to get money from before that I was clearly STILL waiting on. It’s very sad that I can’t access my own funds. I sent screenshots and all but nothing. It’s crazy that I can’t even get my money back...like wow... Reporting to the BBB NEXT!

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Hello, trying to understand so many negative reviews. There were times I had issues getting money, but only because of my own doing or not fully understanding. After I learned more about EVERYTHING! Including how to get and protect my money, I never had an issue. I would have given them a -4 a yr ago. Their customer service was very helpful. After my initial issues and learning more I never had an issue since. The convenience of this system always leaves something at risk. Especially in the www world. Hackers will find ways around everything. IMHO it is MY CHOICE if I chose to have personal information in the www world. There is NO PROTECTION in the WWW world. PERIOD!

Original review: April 5, 2019

In 2 days I made 4 calls to Venmo regarding my new card. I was denied access to cash at 3 separate MoneyPass ATM's... and was forced to pay fees at a Dollar General using cash back. Customer service was nice but not helpful. They could only say it was the random security program denying me access to my $1900+ dollars!! "Sorry we can't help you. It is the security program." 3 times in a row is NOT RANDOM. IT IS CARD SPECIFIC!! And the "account specialists" would be the only ones able to help but they don't take calls... only emails!! Ridiculous!! We live in a day & age where you press a button and it is fixed!! So I was told, "At least your card is working at stores and your money is safe." Safe?? Really? From Me??

Today Day 2 was the icing on the cake. My account was frozen!!! I wake up to an email needing g my ID picture emailed to Account Security. Now the chip that worked yesterday in stores NOT ATM's is FROZEN!!! I was told to email my ID to these Magical Account specialists that have no help center... the that customer service can't even contact to try to help you... I picture them locked in a room and you have to know the special knock to speak to them!! Then in 2 to 3 days I should have my account UNFROZEN!!! 2 TO 3 DAYS!!! BUSINESS DAYS ON A ** THURSDAY??? Traveling with no gas, no food, and a worthless piece of Pink plastic!!! AND VENMO HAS ALL MY MONEY????

I have used PayPal business for YEARS!!! YEARS!! I expected MUCH BETTER!!! This is a horrible way to treat someone... leaving them stranded!! And to be told by customer service that they are sorry and feel bad but there is nothing they can do??? A company that provides a department with nothing to help customers??? I only recently decided to use Venmo because I was asked if I would take payments through Venmo. I encouraged friends and family to sign up... I am furious!! And embarrassed I told others to use your services and TRUST YOU!! This has left me stranded without money for 3 business days. It is Thursday!! So if I am lucky, Monday. 5 DAYS FROM NOW in the order the Secret Account Specialists received my email. I can transfer my money and NEVER USE THIS HORRIBLE APP AGAIN.

Please keep in mind this is not a bank... It is an app. And your money is SAFE in a bank and not held hostage to a company that has a security program that decides when and where you can use your money.... And NO PERSON to help you resolve ANY security issues. No thank you!! I would have given -10 stars if it was a choice. But with Venmo... they control EVERYTHING!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

Got scammed out off $700 but thanks god I decided to text the fraud department directly 1-855-732-8876, spoked to Amanda and she was very helpful. Got my money back a week later. Guys be careful when dealing with high amounts. If you notice something fishy don't hesitate to contact them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: April 1, 2019

Venmo is the worse piece of software to make payments from. Things come in as "VENMO", wonderful. Just what I need as a bookkeeper not to know who is paying, what they are paying. There is no detail within the payment. I recommend to all my clients to never use Venmo for anything. There are better ways to make payments that show more information.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Venmo is no good. Number one there is zero protection to your account, anyone with access to your Venmo app, or phone can go in, see your credit card you use, and send themselves money. Second, customer service is the worst, they are rude, and if you want help with fixing the issue, you must wait 5 to 7 business days for anyone to contact you. In my opinion you are putting yourself out there to be scammed. Please be very careful when choosing an app to send money. Venmo is a company you do not want to get into.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Wish I could give negative stars, I would. Beware - VENMO is a platform for SCAMSTERs and VENMO encourage this as well. I wish such app should be blocked by US government. I have been cheated for $1500 by a fraud, even providing detail of fraud, they did not share bank account detail to Police/FBI (which I reported). No customer support and account specialist not ready to help even. VENMO do not offer any buyer or seller protections and never say it loud while signup. Don't use this platform to use transaction even for settlement between friends even.

Original review: March 28, 2019

If I could give this negative stars, I would. Their customer service and accountability process is non-existent - I've filed a complaint regarding fraudulent charges and have waited over 9 days to receive any response from the team - which can only contact me through email and NO ONE in the customer service team can put me in direct contact with the task force. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was left on hold for over 40 minutes only to be hung up on. Someone hacked my account and transferred funds, switched the email and password and Venmo failed to report any of this activity of suspicious. Horrible service, non-existent accountability and a total scam. If you want to compromise your privacy and data, I recommend you downloading this app right away.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I sent money to wrong person, somebody same name and logo. Contacted Venmo same day explaining my situation, they told there was nothing they could do, try to see if other person would send money back although it hadn’t clear with my bank. They had to wait 3 business days to see if client would send money back! Well you know that wasn’t going to happen unless is a very honest person. Kept calling back asking if they done anything to get money back, every customer service agent kept giving me a different story.

Finally they said there was nothing they could do. So I said to them, "You just going to let that person keep 1,800 Dollars?" Their answer, "Sorry". Thank God I got my bank involved. They stopped the payment!!! Now Venmo wants me to pay them 1,800. Because they pay other person. When Venmo could have easily stop the payment.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Once in a while, my employer sends me money via Venmo. It’s easy to navigate, and your money gets there quicker than they say, many times. I highly recommended Venmo to anyone looking to send money for free easily.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I started a Venmo account to accept a payment owed me because he said it would be quicker. He sent a small payment which worked fine, immediately transferred it to my bank. Then 2 hours later he sent the rest, and when I tried to transfer it to my bank, was informed that "Venmo does not support this bank." Customer service was surly, laid it all at the bank's door, and told me the only way I could solve this was to either send it to another bank account. ** amazing.

I ended up asking my son, who uses a different bank, if it worked for him and he said it was great. So I Venmo'd my balance to him and got it that way. I will never use this service again.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Someone took 250.00 from my Venmo account - I called customer service to ask what happened to my money, the lady (who was very rude I might add) looked at my account and said that I sent money to my son which I knew I didn’t because I would’ve remembered doing that, I told her that I did not. She told me to ask him to send it back. He checked his account and it wasn’t there. I knew it wouldn’t be because I didn’t send it, she told me that she would have to transfer me to the person that handle this.

I was transferred and the person I spoke with said that they would investigate it and would email me their decision. They email me a couple days later and told me the claim was Denied because they said I sent the money BUT I did not. They told me that if I wanted them to send me information they had that supported their decision they would send it to me. I emailed them back telling them to send it because I know I didn’t do it and I haven’t heard from them.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I do private training and a few of my clients pay me via Venmo. Been doing this for a long time and had no problems. Then one day I got a request to copy my DL and submit it. I did it and the next day I received an email stating my account would be closed. No explanation or reason just it would be closed. They deactivated my ability to transfer money out of my account and kept over $1000.00 that was still there. It’s my money and they won’t release it. Lawsuit is coming soon!

Original review: March 6, 2019

My funds are held up because of security flag however no one can remove it. They offer no explanation. No other options. Just funds tied up indefinitely. How could there not be a system in place to address and override the flag. DO NOT USE. TOO MANY ISSUES TO NAME. BAD BUSINESS.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I used Venmo to transfer $400 to the parents of my son’s friend in order for them to purchase his plane ticket at the same time they purchased theirs so that they could all sit together on the flight. This was for a Spring Break vacation to visit Havana. Venmo flagged my money transfer because the word “Havana” was used in the memo section. The entirety of my memo stated, “[my son’s name] - Havana - Spring Break”. Seems pretty self-explanatory to me. This was a domestic money transfer and last time I checked, it’s 100% legal to vacation in Havana. Not only was I met with the rudest customer service rep via phone, but I was told that I am strictly limited to email correspondence involving flagged matters.

Fast forward, I’m now on day 4 corresponding via email. There has been a different rep responding to each email and I am told that my money will not be released until I answer the 5 questions listed in the initial email response. These are the questions that Venmo needs to know in order to release MY MONEY: 1. Purpose of Travel. 2. A copy of your flight itinerary. 3. Your dates of travel to Cuba; and 4. The OFAC general or specific license authorizing the travel.

I have responded explaining to them that I do not have flight itinerary because THEY are holding my money that was to be used to purchase said flight! I also explained that my son does not have a passport because we needed to book this flight in order to be eligible for an expedited passport!!! Keep in mind, this trip is currently 3 weeks out! It was a last minute opportunity for him that has now turned into the biggest fiasco! I scheduled my passport appointment 2 weeks in advance and must have flight itinerary in order to qualify for a 10 day expedite! If I had an extra $400 laying around then maybe this wouldn’t be such a huge ordeal, but I don’t!

I’m on day 2 with zero email response to my last reply. I have sent follow up emails to check-in and still nothing! I am SO upset. This is absolutely dead wrong! The lady on the phone tried to tell me that Venmo is a Federal banking agency and they take these matters seriously. Oh really? Well if my bank suspects fraud or anything of the such, I have a department I can call to have this type of thing sorted out immediately! Venmo is holding my money hostage all the while collecting interest while I’m left completely effed.

I have a huge issue with the information they are requesting as well. I’m not going through customs! I’m transferring a measly 400 to my neighbor for a spring break vacation that doesn’t concern anybody! What are they, the FBI? I will never be using Venmo again. And from what I have read on this forum, people wait up to at least a month for these matters to be resolved. There needs to be a class action suit against Venmo!

Original review: March 4, 2019

My friend send me money $1900 over 6 weeks ago. They withdrew the money from his account within 5 minutes and I still haven't received the money. Every time we call them they give us different excuses. Meanwhile they are holding $1900 and not sending the money or returning the money. We have read many feedback from different users about the same issue. Venmo is running scam. They hold people's money over a month meanwhile they making interest on it and give the users different excuses. We still haven't get our money back.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I only signed up because I have one client who wanted to pay me via Venmo. I'm tech savvy, so I said sure. In only the second time I've used the app, I can tell you that I'll drop this client one client before wasting vast amounts of time to collect my cash. In a nutshell, the application does not work smoothly and it's taking me over an hour of tinkering every time I need to collect a payment. I'm very tech savvy, and this app is running me in circles. It does not recoginize my password or computer. It's hell to get it to reset, and then when you finally do, it wants to send you an email to your new device, although it's the same device I used prior. But the email never comes. So off into the Black Hole they call HELP... Do not use this application if you don't have to. It's the worst app I think I've ever used. It is massively frustrating and takes well over an hour of tinkering to use.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been using Venmo for about a year now. I had no issues until I took a vacation. Somehow someone name Joe ** got access to my account and transferred $950 out of my account. When I realized this I called Venmo to tell them that this was a fraudulent charge. I don't know anybody nor have ever transferred money to this Joe **. They took the claim, while their investigation was going on. I told the same thing to my bank.

After my bank did their investigation they agreed that charges were fraudulent. Venmo, however, said they were not. They said that the charges are accurate and nobody access to my account. I asked as to how they came to that conclusion when my bank did not. They said that the charges were off of my iPhone (here's the kicker, I have an Android phone). When I enlightened them that I don't use an iPhone they didn't care. They are still saying that the charges are mine. All in all, I would tell you to not trust Venmo and if you do decide to use it make sure to check your account daily!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

For the past 2 days I have been unable to do anything with this card or the funds that are showing available. I have spoken with what they call customer service (It’s a joke)! Not 1 person can tell me what’s wrong, what happened, why. Then they start transferring me around and telling me 1 lie after another. Finally they tell me “I’m sorry, I can’t help you. Try to use your card again or transfer again.” NOTHING WORKS!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I tried to load my Venmo card by sending a payment to myself. The app said I couldn't do it. So the next day I check my debit card and Venmo charged me twice 100 dollars each for 200 dollars total. So since it was on the weekend I use their chat with us option and end up having to talk to 3 people. The second one required me to take a picture of my bank statement showing the charges, my name, the last four of my debit card number and the bank name. My bank does not list all that information on the same page, basically he told me I had to have the information in that specific format or he couldn't help me. So what? I need to call a big bank corporation and have them change the format of their website so this guy can be appeased?

Anyhow I figure out how to get all that info by opening the bank thing in 2 browsers and then he tells me he can't help me and I have to hold for another department. SO I hold for about 10 minutes with no one coming on and the chat auto closes. I reopen the chat get a different guy then have to reexplain and he tells me my money went into limbo and I will get my money back in 5 business days. So the next day I get an email from Venmo saying they were unable to resolve my issue and I had to wait another 2 to 3 business days just to talk to another person. Long story short it's 5 days later no email no money no help and they seem to think it's okay. They took my money in an instant and they even after 5 days I still have yet to talk to anybody to start the 5 business day process of getting my refund. These people are thieves. DO NOT USE THEIR APP.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My friend owed me over $2000 for shared expenses. Unfortunately he made the payment to the wrong Venmo account. The wrong account had a very similar user name to my account. The owner of the account the payment was incorrectly made to was unresponsive for days. Our worst fears was the money was lost, stolen. My friend and I approached Venmo separately, but trying to solve the same problem. I was very impressed with the Venmo customer service team. They were easy to contact via phone and email. They responded in a timely manner, even over the weekend, and followed up as appropriate. In a few days they resolved the problem and recovered my friend's money. Nice job to the service team. I see all these horror stories about people's experience and felt I needed to give the team credit when credit was due.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I am a retired person and last Friday my daughter sent me $1,000 to help me with my bills. I was told it takes 1-3 business days but normally it is next day. On Monday they told me that I was supposed to transfer the money from Venmo to my bank which I was not told by rep when I opened the account. They said , "No problem. We are doing it for you now and you should get your money usually in one day but maybe up to three days." It is Friday today and I still don't have my money. They hold on to your money as long as they can as they collect the interest from thousand of people like me. It is called making money on the FLOAT. They take advantage of young people who don't understand their scam. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

As the centuries-old Latin adage says, Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. DO NOT USE VENMO, EVER. Ever. Stand on the shoulders of my mistake and don't even get involved with them. SAVE YOURSELF the time, money, and aggravation. This company, and their service (if it can even be called that), is so riddled with problems that I can scarcely begin to fit them into this review. There are actually a ton of red flags that Venmo is doing shady business or, for one reason or another, trying to pull the rug out from under the very customers they claim to serve.

But instead of typing here an exhaustive list of all the hurdles I've been through with them (and to be clear, I STILL have not gotten my money, which was payment for editing a book prior to publishing), I'll just describe the main one to you: VENMO REQUIRES THAT YOU EMAIL THEM A COPY OF YOUR PHOTO I.D. BEFORE THEY WILL EVEN <> YOUR ACCOUNT, ISSUE, OR PROBLEM. Yes, you read that correctly. Unless you take a digital picture of your driver's license or passport and email it to them, they refuse to discuss anything about your issue with you...even if that issue is, you've been paid using Venmo and you can't seem to get your money.

I am not one for conspiracy theories. But THIS — this, my friends — is one of the shadiest things I've ever encountered in business. Why the ** would they EVER need your photo ID. Think about it: if this was standard protocol for lots of reputable companies out there, that would be one thing. Say, for instance, Apple, Microsoft, Cox, Google, Amazon, etc etc etc. But it ISN'T!!! Never in my life, even dealing with tech startups and all kinds of different companies in New York City, have I ever been asked over the phone in customer support to send them a copy of my photo ID. This is a seriously suspicious practice, especially with the rise of facial recognition software out there.

The lady on the phone with me at Venmo kept insisting, redundantly, that it was to "verify" my "email address" and that the name I'm giving her "over the phone is in fact the name on the account." But as you, reader, probably know, they can absolutely achieve that verification through other avenues. Namely, emailing me some kind of arbitrary code, say, six digits, and then when I open up my email, simply having me READ that verbally over the phone to her. There is unquestionably no reason that Venmo needs my photo ID, nor does it assist them in verifying ANYTHING about my account. Note that your ID isn't required to sign UP for Venmo, so why should it be required to get your money??? Beware. Truly.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Made a simple $500 transfer. Attempted to move it over to my bank, but was denied. Called customer service and was told my transfer was flagged and that there’s NO time frame for resolution. The wire that is slicing my son’s cheek open from his broken braces will continue to do so until their red flag department does their job, which again they offer no time frame. This company completely falsely advertises their services and customer service is useless. DO NOT USE VENMO!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I called Venmo and asked them if the transaction I was about to enter into was safe. Someone was to send me money in the amount of 1900.00. The customer services representative assured me that the transaction was fine and that I would receive the payment, if there was anything wrong then that would be between the person sending me the money and their bank.

Well, I received an email from an account specialist who asked me for a picture of my driver's license. Did that. Then they asked me for a recent bank statement. Did that too. Then they asked if I could contact the person that sent me the money because they have been trying to get into contact with him. WHAT? I called and did my due diligence to make sure there were not going to be any problems. A few days later the account specialist said that my account has been suspended and that Venmo would be taking the funds. I asked why that original recorded phone call wasn't being taken into account. I still have not received an answer to that question. Worst company ever. I beg you do not use this app.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

If I can give them a 0 rating I would! Terrible waste of time. I accidently put in the wrong email address when I tried to send almost $500 to someone. I cancelled immediately, and received an email from Venmo saying my transaction was cancelled and they were issuing me a refund. Let's just say it is 10 days later and they have not refunded me my money. They told me it would only take 1-5 business days. They kept giving me the run around saying it was my bank, but it turned out to be them. Then they claimed they issued the refund back, but the reversal process failed... HOW???!!! HOW DID YOU FAIL TO SEND ME MY REFUND!! Now they're trying to say they escalated this to their billing team (whom you can't call nor chat with!) and they will contact me in another 3-5 business days via email!! My money is being held & they are full of nothing but lies and deceit. I will be disputing this charge soon & report them for their scandals!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Keep in mind that Venmo has a zero consumer protection policy. You have no protection from being defrauded by the seller who may never send the product. I purchased something via Venmo and the seller sold it to someone else, saying Venmo never moved the money to her account. When I tried to address it with Venmo, they read protocol off a script and refused to confirm or deny that the funds were received by the seller. There was no denial that they pulled my money from my account. They said that the only way that the transaction could be reversed was by the seller, who can't reverse it because her account says it never went through.

When I informed them that I would have to file a complaint with my credit card to contest the charge, they threatened that even if the Credit Card company reversed the payment, Venmo would hold me responsible and report it adversely on my credit record. They said I should have read the infinitely long tiny print agreement. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I normally use ApplePay for any money transfers I would make to friends and family. However, in a recent transaction I downloaded the Venmo app due to money being sent to me from a friend who uses the app. After a fairly painless registration and having to enter a personal credit card for any transactions that I do not have enough Venmo funds for. This quickly turned into a nightmare.

The drama started the first week of February when my friend sent me money through the Venmo app. I received the money in my account immediately and thought, wow, that was easy. Well, then it got interesting. You have two options in using your funds. 1) You can transfer the amount directly into your bank account after giving bank account information or 2) Use a retail site that accepts Venmo. I did not want my bank information to be revealed and thought it was the best and safest decision. So, started to research what retailers I could visit in person to use my funds. Come to find out that you are either extremely limited or cannot use the funds to pay for a service or product in person. Ok, so now what? I looked further and found out I could use the funds through the Venmo app with a retailer that Venmo has partnered with.

I didn’t find any retailers that I would use myself, but did find Urban Outfitters to purchase for my kids. So, I proceeded to make an online purchase giving me the option to pay using my Venmo funds. Again, you have to go through the Venmo app to find these retailers whom you can purchase with using your Venmo funds. I made it all the way through the transaction, paid using my Venmo funds and thought that was it. To my surprise, I received a prompt telling me that I encountered a problem. Thought that was weird as I did everything correctly. I didn’t receive any confirmation of my purchase with Urban Outfitters so I called their customer service line. They were very helpful and I was informed that there were no pending transactions.

I was a little disappointed as the purchase was for clothing to gift one of my kids for their birthday. I then went back to my Venmo app and noticed that there was a pending charge to be sent to Urban Outfitters. This was strange as UO just told me that there were no completed or pending transactions. I thought, maybe it takes a day or two so I patiently waited for my Venmo account to be updated with no pending transactions since UO already informed me that they did not have an order for me.

After using my patience I decided to contact them using their online chat option through their app. I was told that a $ amount was pending and going to be deducted from my personal credit card due to not having enough money to cover the entire transaction amount...what?! Granted I did not have enough to cover the entire amount, but was only about $17 over. So, my thought was that the funds from my Venmo account would be used first to pay for my so called transaction and then $ that I go over would be charged to my credit card. Wouldn’t that make sense? Apparently this was not the case.

Basically you have to make a transaction for exactly the amount you have in the Venmo acct or go under, leaving some funds remaining in your acct. It would be a never ending attempt to try and use up what I have in my Venmo acct. So frustrating. At that point I decided to transfer the funds to my bank acct. Something I did not want to do due to security reasons, but at this point I was really fed up.

It took a few business days for the money to appear in my bank. Once received I quickly deleted my bank account information and personal credit card info from the Venmo app. I tried to then close my Venmo acct, but was told that I still had a pending transaction. Yes, this was the transaction that never went through to UO, yet Venmo still had it as a pending transaction. I was told that this transaction could take 12 full calendar days to finalize or void and that I should be cleared to close my account next week. What a stressful experience. Note to self...do not EVER use Venmo again. My experience may be out of the norm and others may be extremely satisfied with their experience. This was just what I am going through and thought it would be helpful to others.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I was sent $160 to pay some bills and I had to wait on the card to arrive to access my money and once the card finally arrived I went to activate it on the app and it told me to deposit money into the Venmo account to be able to use the card. I refused because I had $160 already in Venmo Balance. Then On a Friday after the office is closed I get an email stating my account is frozen. So I had to upload a picture of my ID but had to wait until Monday when they are open again.

Then when Monday gets here I call to see what is the issue and I didn't get an answer except it was escalated and I will hear back from them 2-3 business days. I tried to talk to the department that handles frozen accounts but the only way is through email which I've emailed them 7 times and still no reply. I'm going to be disconnected because of them holding my money and not allowing me access to what belongs to me. I'm so angry once I get my money. This card will be thrown in Garbage.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs