1.03/5
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

99 Venmo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Worst customer service ever!!! Hard to believe this is same company as PayPal. Most unhelpful and condescending customer service that would only communicate through chat. I gave them document after document proving identity and yet they would still ask for more. I finally closed it completely frustrated with their lack of help and I’m not even completely sure I wasn’t being scammed into sending the info I did send. There are too many other companies you can use to send money, run away as far as you can from Venmo.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I recently had downloaded and used Venmo. While creating account, they do not ask anything. As soon as you create account and transfer money, they will frozen your account for some nonsense reason and ask thousand times to send your identification document (Driver License) and will inform you that you will receive an email in few days with the issue. I immediately closed my account after experience very bad response from the contact team. Chat option never worked. In nutshell "Do not download and use VENMO". It will waste your time, efforts and you have to struggle to get back your own money.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The fact that this company can somehow tie up my money by arbitrarily freezing my account, then proceed to tell me that I have to send bank and credit card statements along with Photo ID through an email to “verify” my account, is a little shady and not trustworthy to be honest. You can only work through email correspondence to have your account unfrozen! Also they ask for obscured Photo ID but then say a passport and DL are obscured! In this day of fraud and identity theft, this unprofessional company is playing with fire. I predict a class action lawsuit in their future. I suggest avoiding at all costs. I asked them to cancel my account immediately and I have now put alerts on my bank account because of them! I have reported them to the BBB also.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Their website is a mess. I cannot access my account despite several attempts from different devices and browsers. Resetting my password does nothing. It is just dozens of 403 forbidden errors. I want to move $100 a friend sent me to my bank. Instead, I've spent months trying to get into the website. When I called, two reps said I had to email a copy of my drivers license, passport, or other non-expired photo ID with all my personal details to them. WHAT?! Who would do that?

Original review: July 25, 2018

I had never heard of VENMO util I saw a $1450.00 charge to my bank account. Somehow they had my debit card information and removed money from my account. I have never had an account with them. Be very careful of this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: July 25, 2018

Desperately needed assistance from a friend on a cruise after property was stolen (including my phone). I had to use my son's phone to attempt a money transfer but could not receive 4 digit code because my phone was stolen. Venmo had me go through a long "alternate" validation which resulted in them suspending my account. I then advised the friend to cancel the transaction so she could get her money back. Not allowed. She was told to have me email the rep to authorize accessing my account.

I did that but still not allowed because it had to be from the email address associated with Venmo. Did that and still not allowed, required to call (which I could not do on a cruise ship). when I returned, I got a replacement sim card for an old phone and validated my identity. I planned to transfer MY money to my bank account. When I attempt to do it, it says there was an error and refuses to allow it. Opened 2 tickets myself for assistance (total of 3 now) and still cannot get money.

Original review: July 24, 2018

When I tried to create a Venmo account I was surprised with the fact that my account was frozen because someone else had registered an account with my bank information! I made a complaint and sent them my ID information as requested... They closed and permanently removed ME from Venmo. The real ** owner of the bank account. Idk what the hell they are doing, but they are backing the thief who is fraudulently using my bank account and debit card information! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Original review: June 29, 2018

The fact that this company can somehow tie up a $2700 payment by arbitrarily freezing my account, then proceed to tell me that I have to send bank and credit card statements along with ID through an email to “verify” my account, is a little scary to be honest. When I was actually able to get someone on the phone, they informed me that they did not have the ability to unfreeze my account but that I had to work through an email correspondence to get my frozen capital. They should have returned the money directly to the sending bank. They have no legal jurisdiction to hold the funds in any sort of escrow account. In this day of fraud and identity theft, this unprofessional company is playing with fire. I predict a class action lawsuit in their future. I suggest avoiding at all costs.

Original review: June 28, 2018

At the request of my landlord I made a Venmo account to pay my rent. I paid security deposit, then a month later when I sent the rent payment, Venmo froze my account *after* they took the money from my bank. They said it was due to a security concern. Again, my bank has *already released* the payment. Venmo has my money. There is no security issue. And Venmo froze my landlord's account too. I had to send a photo of my driver's license and a bank statement to Venmo, and they emailed me that they will resolve the situation in 10 days. Nonsense. The payment went through; there shouldn't be anything to resolve! Thanks to Venmo, I now have to come up with a second rent payment, because my rent is still due. I'm just hoping they release my money in 10 days. Do NOT use Venmo!

Original review: June 25, 2018

They had the menu option 'greyed out' where it read "Friends incur a 3% processing fee..." I wasn't sending to a friend. Instead, the green text showed Free In App or Online.. Yet they charged me the fee... about $8 total... very misleading.

Original review: June 12, 2018

These people are awful. I thought I set up an account. Someone sent me a cash transfer, but my phone number was not correct. So they will not send it to my bank account, return it to the sender, nor correct the phone number. After 6 months they KEEP IT. Be VERY Careful when using this service. They have no interest in solving problems. The default for them is to do nothing and keep the money. It is awful. It is NOT quick and easy - nor risk free. However, since the money being sent has not been received, and transaction can be reversed. Sellers should know this. A TOTAL rip off.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Account frozen without explanation or chance for recourse. Venmo is ridiculous. First they freeze accounts stating it has been "suspended due to recent activity that appears to be a violation of our User Agreement" and write "if you would like to reactivate your account, please reply to this email with a picture of your unexpired US government issued photo identification to begin the review".

However, after sending the requested information, they then state "Your account was recently assessed for high risk activity and was determined to have significant potential for creating loss to Venmo. Due to the level of risk associated with your account, we're unfortunately unable to unfreeze your account for continued use." And refuse to elaborate any further. With such serious accusations, consumers obviously require an explanation of what it was that triggered the account being frozen, and as in my case, to contest it as the accusations are, quite frankly, ridiculous and downright offensive.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It's design, ultimately, is for use with other Venmo users, which is limiting. That is compounded by the limited number of financial institutions you can even link. So in other words, if Venmo doesn't play nice with the other money kids on the block - they just don't let you link to them and your money is held in Venmo purgatory. Ironically, PayPal (which in of itself is a racketeer) owns Venmo but Venmo cash can't be transferred to your PayPal account. Wow, just wow. I literally opened and closed my account within four hours of trying to navigate ways to actually get my money transferred the hell out of Venmo's hostage hole.

Original review: May 25, 2018

VENMO STRIKES AGAIN... MY ACCOUNT IS FROZEN AGAIN... I have been waiting 5 days for a response, sent them my ID's multiple times, bank statements, copies of credit cards and they still haven't fixed my issue. Why have a company where you can send money to and from your family in an emergency situation and then they freeze your account and you can't access it AND you can't get your "account specialist" to respond to you. Customer Service told me just now that I will just have to wait for them to email me and my "Account Specialist" has other customers. Are you kidding!?!? She basically told me that my issue doesn't matter and there is nothing she could do about it. After I retrieve my money (if that ever happens), I will NEVER use VENMO again! Horrible experience.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I sent a payment of 1000.00 to a friend, my account was immediately frozen. I contacted customer service and got the account security team will contact you. They did and ask for photo ID, I sent what they ask for. It has been at this point 3+ days ago. I requested they process payment to my friend or refund my money. At this point, I have contacted customer service 2 times a day. Still no action or word from security team. Where has not Federal Consumer Commissions Closed these people down and jailed some of them? PayPal is the parent company they should be fined and someone there jailed.

Updated on 05/25/2018: This is an update on earlier report. The people at Venmo got tiered of flipping coin and canceled my account. (Don't care) but they immediately tried to deflect my demand for the refund of my payment money. They tried to blame receiver and my bank. I checked both quickly. Filed a dispute with bank (fraud). Demanded my refund again, this time it was need more ID and proof of payment. Odd they had enough to try and steal my payment but I sent them what they ask for. I will have to ride them like a bike to get action. By the way this Venmo is a part of PayPal. Will update you if I get refunded. Thank you.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My son is a doctor and he sent me money for Mother's Day. It said to use my debit card for immediate payment. They refused several of my debit cards and asked me to verify my bank acct. and I did. It said that I would have to verify deposits and withdrawals. Which I did then it said the money would be there tomorrow which it wasn't. Lie after lie.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I tried working with Venmo to give me my money ($3,000) or return money to sender and they refused to do so. Spent 10 days trying to work with them. I filed a complaint with PayPal's internal hotline. Go online and file a complaint. Search for Compliance under PayPal.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Received money from my kids to share buying a mother's day present ALMOST without a hitch. Was a bit spooked because I saw a list of financial transactions (without the amounts) of various Facebook friends... On the other hand my youngest son says he and his friends have been using it for 3 years with no real complaints. Not a huge fan, and they HAVE demonstrated that they can withdraw money from my account as well as deposit it with their verification process, but it's not a one-star review.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I helped a friend move some stuff - the "joys" of owning a full size pickup truck! At any rate, he said he would give me some money to pay for gas; the downside of owning a pickup truck (not fuel efficient). He said it would be easy and convenient for us to do so by Venmo. So I created an account with Venmo. He transferred money to me. When I went to transfer to my bank via my debit card, the process was declined. No explanation was given. So, I contacted "customer service"; I can't really say they are deserving of that name as they are not equipped to actually provide any service. They were able to "confirm" that my transfer was declined. I already knew that and was why I was contacting them. Long story short, they were not able to tell me why. Now would they transfer me to anyone who could. Basically spend half an hour with them to confirm my transfer was not completed.

When I asked if there was a number I could call, they said yes but they close at 3:00 CST. I am in PST so 3:00 pm and they are closed??? Really?? Venmo calls this customer service?? Then I was told only the "review department" could tell me why. I asked, "Can you transfer me to them" and was told no. At this point, I am waiting for the mystery department to tell me why they are incapable to transferring my funds when everyone else seems to have no problem. No indication of when this might be. Maybe I have to file a small claims against them... This is my first experience with Venmo and needless to say my last. I can accept problems happen but the total lack of a system to remedy a problem is unacceptable. I cannot stress enough to never do business with such a shady organization. Buyer beware. The case number is **.

Original review: April 19, 2018

5 days ago (Sunday) I was attempting to sell my car to someone who did not have access to the $1500 cash. We agreed to set up accounts through Venmo and transfer the money that way. Venmo took the money out of his account right away and Venmo informed me that the money would be transferred in 3 business days. On the third business day, they sent me this email: "Your Venmo account has been suspended due to recent activity that appears to be a violation of our User Agreement. If you would like to reactivate your account, please reply to this email with a picture of your unexpired US government-issued photo identification to begin the review. Acceptable forms of ID include a driver’s license, state ID card, passport, and green card. The name on your photo ID should match the name registered to your Venmo account. We require this information to ensure you are the legal account holder."

I sent them a picture of my ID. On the fourth business day, Venmo sent me the following email: "Thank you for reaching out. While we encourage the use of Venmo, we must ensure all users abide by our User Agreement. After reviewing your inquiries and account activity, we have found that your actions and activity have been in violation of this agreement. As a result, your account has been permanently deactivated and we regret to inform you that we can no longer offer you the Venmo service.

"We do not make these decisions lightly, and when we do, it is because we must ensure that Venmo continues to be a safe way to make payments. Please note that we were unable to process your recent bank transfer, if you requested one. You'll need to arrange payment outside of Venmo. If you have questions regarding this decision, know that we do not divulge our decision-making criteria in order to protect the systems that monitor activity on Venmo. I apologize that we are unable to assist you further."

The other party whom was trying to send me money, said they experienced the same thing about being locked out of their account. Venmo has taken the money out of his personal bank account and put into his Venmo account, then attempted to transfer it to me. Venmo has now deactivated his account. I then called Venmo and the account rep said that I need to email them back and ask where is the money. I have emailed them and have not heard back.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My Venmo account deducted from my bank without notice 200.00 on April 11th and I wrote to them, chatted and they said they would solve it! It has been over a week, tomorrow is the 19th and nobody has followed up or called or solved their mistake!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I have never heard about this fraudulent company until this morning when I was checking my bank account and found 6 transactions of $1,785 total drawn from my account without my knowledge and authorization. WTF! I don`t even know what Venmo is, I don`t have an account with them or anything. I called my bank and opened a claim... did you guys filed a police report?

Original review: April 15, 2018

Just like everyone else here... I have the same complaint about Venmo. I had only had Venmo for approx. 3 months. I was notified that my account had been frozen. They asked for me to verify my ID so I sent in my driver's license... A few hours later they emailed me saying my account was suspended due to violating their terms and policies. Reading their terms and policies I cannot find anything that I had done wrong. Nor could Venmo offer me any other explanation. It seems to me since PayPal bought Venmo this company has gone downhill.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I would like to make you aware of a very disappointing experience with Venmo. I want to start off by saying I am currently serving in the US military and I have never broken a law, nor participated in any illegal activity, yet Venmo has treated me like a criminal. I simply called Venmo to advise them of a complete stranger attempting to deposit money into my account. I was trying to do the right thing, and I was accused of participating in activities that broke regulations put in place by Venmo and this is simply untrue. Not to mention, the money I have in my account is being held until I am investigated. I feel disgusted that Venmo would treat anyone this way, and I will be making complaints to any outlet available to me. Venmo should be ashamed of the awful service they provide, and the disgusting way they treat their customers. SHAME ON YOU VENMO! I will be suggesting to all of my friends and family members to close their Venmo accounts!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Has anyone found a way to deal with this company and making them return funds that are not theirs to keep? I was using Venmo for about a year and all of a sudden they froze my account and are holding on to my money indefinitely. They are not telling me what part of the agreement was violated and not sharing any information - however refusing to give back the funds. Multiple calls to their helpline has not been helpful. My next step is to blast PayPal escalation and executives with emails as well as to contact my attorney and send them a letter. PayPal Inc. Attention: Legal Department. 2211 N. 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95131.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Horrible, horrible situation. $800 is in limbo. $800 removed from my bank checking account, but not transferred to recipient's bank account. Account suspended even though money already taken from my account. The recipient's account is also suspended and the money is with Venmo. Suspension due to not enough information. But they already processed a similar transaction without requiring additional information to the SAME recipient, now they want information from me and the recipient? Customer support is not able to help; they just tell you that you need to exchange emails with a specialist. The call center has no specialists available. I'll use BillPay from now on.

Original review: April 3, 2018

So this is my first time using Venmo and I get 500!!! Sent to me from a friend to pay bills. Go to Venmo to transfer the funds and it get a error telling me it can't transfer to my acct. I call customer service. First thing on the recording is that the system is down and they don't know when it will be fixed. Which is unacceptable to take money from people that can't be transferred out of the app. So I wait to a agent. The agent tells me the same thing like she doesn't know when the funds will be avail. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Do not do business with these people!!! Do not!!!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I’ve used Venmo without issue for almost a year when recently my account was frozen. The worst part was they allowed transactions to go through without issue and then froze it when I tried taking the money out. I’m now jumping through hoops attempting to get my funds released. PayPal ruined Venmo!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have exactly one day of experience with this company: These guys are *extremely* shady. They ask for your bank account credentials. This is *huge* red flag. Never give *any* company the username/password for your bank! Unable to add debit cards. App errors out claiming 'invalid zip code'. I had someone send me $5 as a test. The account was immediately 'frozen' by Venmo, and which point they asked for five separate pieces of documentation to prove my identity. It's too much of a hassle so I called it quits. Venmo is the very definition of a useless company. I'm starting to understand why millennials are shunning the conventional banking system and switching to Bitcoin and other cryptos. Who on earth would want to deal with a mismanaged, fraud of a company like Venmo? The fact that these shady people are still in business is appalling to me.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Today, 3/15/2018 VENMO NY charged my debit card two charges, $500 and $250. I never heard of Venmo before today. I do not have an account with them. I called my bank, had my card frozen, called PayPal, I’ve used them for many years and they claim to know nothing, of course. I finally found a phone number for Venmo, they have no record of me whatsoever as I am not a user, correct. Venmo told me to contact my bank and claimed that they couldn’t search for the transactions even though I had transaction number from my bank. Looking around the internet, I find that this is a common practice of Venmo, so I am just one of hundreds being ripped off by them and Venmo taking no responsibility. If anyone has suggestions as to how do something about this thievery, please comment. By the way, my bank account is now overdrawn by nearly $500. I get by on a frayed shoestring so this is a huge problem for me. Thank you.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Venmo Company Information

venmo.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business