3.07/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Venmo

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

240 Venmo Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had a problem with Venmo and my bank where too many transactions came out of my bank and then when I transferred money to someone else via Venmo I then received an overdraft fee twice. I called my bank they said goodluck (they are a credit union and terrible now compared to what they used to be). I then called Venmo. Alexandra helped me out and was extremely helpful, they reimbursed me for the fees I received from my bank (thank you) and then she even followed up with me afterwards to make sure I received the funds in my Venmo account to then transfer to my bank. It was quick, kind of detail oriented but they resolved the issue within 1.5 hours.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I love this app for my lawn care business to receive payments when people are not home to pay. It faster and easier than receiving a check and with the new Venmo card I do not even have to transfer my Venmo balance to my bank to spend it. I can just use the Venmo card anywhere MasterCard is accepted and it deducts the purchase straight from my Venmo balance. The only thing that I think would bother some people is the social aspect of the default settings allowing everyone to see who you have paid and who has paid you, but this can easily be turned off in the privacy settings if you don't want this information public.

Though among friends to pay back for dinner or drinks it is kind of fun. Super great app. I don't understand the bad reviews at all. People just must not understand how to use it. Fast, free, easy, and fun. It is affiliated with PayPal and I trust that. Have not had a single issue myself. Hope some less grumpy people leave reviews instead of just a bunch of grumpy curmudgeons.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Hello, trying to understand so many negative reviews. There were times I had issues getting money, but only because of my own doing or not fully understanding. After I learned more about EVERYTHING! Including how to get and protect my money, I never had an issue. I would have given them a -4 a yr ago. Their customer service was very helpful. After my initial issues and learning more I never had an issue since. The convenience of this system always leaves something at risk. Especially in the www world. Hackers will find ways around everything. IMHO it is MY CHOICE if I chose to have personal information in the www world. There is NO PROTECTION in the WWW world. PERIOD!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Once in a while, my employer sends me money via Venmo. It’s easy to navigate, and your money gets there quicker than they say, many times. I highly recommended Venmo to anyone looking to send money for free easily.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My friend owed me over $2000 for shared expenses. Unfortunately he made the payment to the wrong Venmo account. The wrong account had a very similar user name to my account. The owner of the account the payment was incorrectly made to was unresponsive for days. Our worst fears was the money was lost, stolen. My friend and I approached Venmo separately, but trying to solve the same problem. I was very impressed with the Venmo customer service team. They were easy to contact via phone and email. They responded in a timely manner, even over the weekend, and followed up as appropriate. In a few days they resolved the problem and recovered my friend's money. Nice job to the service team. I see all these horror stories about people's experience and felt I needed to give the team credit when credit was due.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I used my Venmo card all the time, then one day when I had over $450 in my account, I had a mystery security flag. No one could tell me anything, I mean NOTHING. Couldn’t use my card, couldn’t ask why, couldn’t access my money. A few days later it opened up and then, boom, happened again. No explanation, no reason, just locked out of my debit card. I’m frustrated and upset. Now we wait, for what???

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

The phone rep and his supervisor were rude and lack the basic empathy or willingness to solve an issue. The worst employees by far. I’d like to think Venmo as a company wouldn’t have this type of culture or else wouldn’t have lasted in the market for this long. The issue I was facing was; I made a payment to an account that did not exist and wasn’t able to cancel it. Venmo call reps made me call the receiver only to waste both our times with no concrete solutions. The receiver was visiting the US and couldn’t finish creating the Venmo account because a failed authentication. However, the money was taken from my account and was showing as transaction complete. The rep as well as his supervisor keep asking for valid US ID for a user who doesn’t even finish creating/ verifying the account.

When the supervisor was asked to escalate the issue to their engineering department or someone above him his response was, "I’m the only one you can speak to and hang up the phone on us!" I have used Venmo before for payment for not more than $500 at a time. That’s why I build my trust and suggest to my friend to try to sign up. At the end Venmo has taken my $ 2,089.33 and is not willing to return my money. I will be writing reviews on every web outlet there’s is about Venmo to protect others from such act and will be legally fighting this till I get someone sensible to look into the issue and I get my money back.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Horrible Horrible customer service. They say that they are sorry and they are trying to help. They will hold your money and then wonder why you are upset and calling so much. I will NOT BE RECOMMENDING this company to anyone, and that is really sad considering I have been a loyal customer for over 3 years. STAY CLEAR OF VENMO!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I had a friend of mine do some landscaping in my yard and he wanted me to pay half upfront on Venmo. I did not want to but he assured me it was safe, so I set up an account. Let them charge $2200 plus their fee to my credit card. The app told me that the money did not go through but credit card said it did. After a week I wrote the friend a check to get the work started. After approximately 15 phone calls they finally admitted that they had received the money but said they had deposited it in my friend's account. He showed me and them three months' worth of statements, but they refuse to refund money. He has his lawyer involved now. Crazy to have to get lawyers involved in something as simple as this, but then I read all the similar reviews, and wonder if Venmo is not running up accounts so they can file bankruptcy with the money in hand.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

They apparently freeze existing accounts for inexplicable reasons. I never had this problem with PayPal, Cash App, or Payoneer. After an extended period they ultimately said that I had failed to submit a government issued ID. The odd part is they never asked for it when I opened the account.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs