3.8/5 (1186 ratings)

About Venmo

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2023

Save yourself some time and sanity. Venmo claims you can instantly cash a check into your Venmo account (for a fee of course) but this feature never works. I tried calling customer service about this, I was told someone would get back to me within 3-5 business days but that never happened. Also, I have been locked out of my account multiple times. Worthless. :/

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

I've been hacked through Venmo 2 times in 1 week. The first time they never even responded to me. The second time they freeze my account for a day, just to tell me it matches my transaction history when it doesn't match the price or distance I normally go. They are not a good company at all on my opinion.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

In my opinion, the customer service is a big pile of feces. They don't know how to resolve a problem, and you have to repeat over and over your issue, and you call to follow up and is a different answer. Always...

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

I downloaded and set up the VENMO app. Next time I tried to log-in it said my password was incorrect (although Face ID continues to recognize me). Reset password. Wouldn't accept that password either. Tried to reset again but this time the reset form announced that it was closed. Tried to submit a customer service form. Absolutely NO customer service for a frustrating case of this kind. VENMO is run by bots. PayPal, Venmo's parent company, is so much better. But PayPal should be ashamed to have created VENMO.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

For two days I have been trying to send money and get an error message. After four phone calls and one being on hold for 45 minutes, I was told to use a different bank account. Why? It will not let me put my original bank account in in the first place? I called my bank and my credit card companies and I was told that Venmo accepts my accounts. The person I spoke to said that they won't accept mine because of security reasons. What reasons? I haven't done anything wrong. I told them to come and arrest me if I'm a problem with my Information and bank. My conclusion is that Venmo is fraudulent and they need to be shut down. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

So far, I have had to send in 4 IDs including selfies holding those IDs, 3 bank verifications, 4 supervisors, 7 reps, a frozen account, a suspended account and a temporarily restricted account, and then have to delete the account to try again to make a transfer to my checking account. I have a government security ID through DHS and that is not good enough for Venmo! I still do NOT have my money! Please do NOT make the same mistake I did. Do NOT use this company to handle your money unless you want to jump through endless hoops and at least for me, never receive your money!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

Support team look at its own transactions and says it can't happen. While acknowledging they see that it happened. Wow beyond comprehension. What can you say to such unbelievable support. These people are worse than their reviews.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2022

Venmo promised a promotion and failed to redeem the promotion almost a year later continuing to give the runaround instead of resolving the issue. The promo was to open an account and spend $1000 in first 90 days and receive $250 back. However the account had to remain open with a balance. I've now accumulated interest in addition to being stiffed! Don't trust them to do what they promise.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

I transferred money to my Venmo debit card on the 10th. I then found out that it would(n't) be available to spend (until) the 15th. I tried to pay for dinner at 5:30pm EST on the 15th. Payment is declined. I check the balance: money is still not there. 5 whole days to find out I definitely shouldn't trust you lot with my money. Time well spent.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

I was asked to pay someone months ago with Venmo. I set up an account and linked it to by bank account, Venmo sent The money to the party I was dealing with, but NEVER took it from my account. After months and numerous calls and trying to re-link my bank with Venmo so that they could get the money they already sent, to no avail speaking with many Venmo reps seeing that my bank is linked. but nothing seems to happen other than sales reps calling me saying that I owe them money, I told them to mail me an invoice and I would send a check to cover the amount that they sent to my party. I was told they could not do that. I WOULD RUN FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Venmo author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

Venmo Company Information