1.00/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Venmo

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

59 Venmo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My kid used my credit card without my consent. I kept trying to add my card and kept getting an error that the card needed to be released by another account. They informed me it was my son. I contacted my son and he removed the card and then I tried to add the card to my account. Then customer service said he had to call in to verify release of the card. Nowhere does it say that extra step had to be done. The customer service lady was a mindless robot. My name is on the card for Christ sakes! I don't trust these people and their mindless robot minions. Something just smells fishy and when it comes to my money and bank accounts I want a little bit more professionalism. How the heck can my card with my name and without my permission be used on someone else's account?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I am brand new to using Venmo. I just installed the app on my phone last week and used it for the first time on 2/10/18. I was trying to come up with a easy solution for my tenant to pay me rent and after researching apps on Google I chose Venmo because it appeared to be the simplest to use and it's FREE. My tenant installed the app on her phone Saturday and sent me the rent money. I immediately received notification via both email and the app. I clicked the "Accept" button to retrieve the money and it instantly went into my Venmo account. I was so excited because I thought I had finally found a solution to getting the rent money. As soon as I clicked "Transfer to Bank" all my happiness went away and that's when everything went downhill.

After selecting "Transfer to Bank" I received a confirmation that the money would be transferred and to expect the deposit on 2/13/18. The morning of 2/13/18 I checked my bank account and the money was not there. It was very early in the morning, so I decided to check it later in the day. Later that morning when I got to work I received an email from Venmo stating my account has been frozen. I'm thinking WTF?!?

So, the first thing I did was Google Venmo's customer service and found the phone #. The rep I spoke to was of no help at all. He couldn't tell me anything and kept saying please follow the instructions in the email. He said it came from the Account Specialist Department and they only answer via email. They don't take calls. I was livid!! So, I hung up with Venmo customer service and followed the instructions in the email. It told me to send an unexpired photo ID. I attached a scan of my driver's license in reply to the email and then waited.

While waiting I read their User Agreement. It states you have to log in from a PC and do a Verification process by entering your date of birth, zip code and last 4 of your SSN. I logged in from my work computer and a Verification window popped up. I entered all the info it asked for and submitted it. During that time I'm still waiting to hear back from Venmo. About 2 hours later I log in again from my work PC and a green window pops up stating "Your account is reactivated". I got excited thinking I would finally get my funds transferred to my bank, but... My excitement was short-lived.

About 2 hours later after still not hearing back from Venmo I contact customer service again. I spoke to Valencia. She explains that my account is still frozen and the only time an account is reactivated is if the account has a balance (which I didn't), so she found that odd and I was, once again, disappointed to find out my account is still frozen. I told her I sent my driver's license and did the verification, so what's the hold up? She put me on hold and told me she found my email with my scanned driver's license and told me they wouldn't accept that. It has to be an actual picture of my driver's license (not a scanned copy). She told me to take a pic of my license with my phone and email it to Venmo. You would think I was applying for a car loan!! This is ridiculous!! But I went ahead and did it.

This morning when I got to work I was determined to make someone give me answers. I chatted with Venmo through the app and the rep told me it's a "simple verification process for new users" and that I should expect a resolution within 3-4 business days. Thank God, I already had enough money in my bank account to cover the mortgage payment or I would've been SOL depending on Venmo to transfer the money into my bank account. As a first time user I will tell you to beware of using this app. It may be simple if you're just sending a couple dollars to people to pay for things, but don't think about using this app for large transactions or you will find yourself wondering if you'll ever see your money.

I wish I had found this website and read all the bad reviews prior to using the app. I could have saved myself from the frustration of dealing with such an incompetent company that doesn't puts zero emphasis in providing good customer service. This app is owned by PayPal and I find it extremely hard to believe that a billion dollar company like that would develop an app with so much inconsistency in their level of service. I hope I get my money or at least I hope they send it back to my tenant so she can pay me by check. I would hate to have to write this loss off her rent, because I can't afford it. Venmo needs to step up and do better. This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Venmo has failed to release 2 bank transfers to my TD Checking account ending in ** via standard transfer 2/12 and 2/13. I called on 2/13 to speak with a live person but the representative stated that the department that handles my transaction cannot be reached by phone. This practice is deceptive and deceptive and I have lodged a complaint with The Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Affairs, The Better Business Bureau and Superior Court.

Venmo has failed to release 2 bank transfers to my TD Checking account ending in 5724 via standard transfer 2/12 and 2/13. I called on 2/13 to speak with a live person but the representative stated that the department that handles my transaction can not be reached by phone. This practice is deceptive and I have lodged a complaint with The Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Affairs, The Better Business Bureau and Superior Court.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Never heard of Venmo until I checked my bank statement and saw that it was compromised. $800 was scammed and customer service as most of the reviews stated here are of no help. My banking Institution is disputing the charges now and I too am livid! Stay clear.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Late last night (2/9/2018) my bank account was drained of every penny through Venmo, and thankfully I have alerts set up so I was able to cancel my card and feeeze my account before their other withdrawal attempts of another $750 and $500 were made. I emailed Venmo and chatted with them and they told me there is no record and so it couldn’t have come from them. (Even though there is proof through my bank statement.) Thankfully I have fraud protection, so I will get my money back, but I am absolutely livid that this happened. Their security is garbage, just like PayPal, which I found out OWNS VENMO. So honestly it doesn’t surprise me that this happened because PayPal has had numerous breaches. I will never EVER use PayPal or Venmo ever again and I hope others quit too. I wouldn’t wish this on anybody! Be safe y’all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This company got access to my checking account without permission and withdrew 650.00. When I contacted them they said they had no control over the withdrawal and there was nothing they could do about it. What kind of company moves billions of dollars and has no control over where it comes from or where it goes?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I had never even heard of Venmo until yesterday when someone used it to drain $565 from my bank account before it could be shut off. I'm extremely displeased to see that Venmo takes zero interest in rectifying this situation & appears to have no interest in protecting consumers against fraud. I'm guessing it's because they want to process as many transactions as possible so they can skim their cut off the top. I would never recommend this app to anyone!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I was performing a simple Venmo to my sister and my account was frozen for suspicious activity although the money was taken out of my bank's checking account but never deposited into my sister's bank account despite my request. They are holding my money but refuse to let me know how to unfreeze my account. Customer service is unresponsive.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

While being away with friends for a weekend, I got a notification that my account was frozen. I reached out to their support right away, 3 days later their support is still unhelpful and hasn't done anything to unblock my account. They request personal information that they have no business knowing and won't do anything. I have been contacting them several times daily as they still have a few hundred dollars of mine but I only get rebuff emails. This service is a scam and they are unfriendly thieves. Do yourself a favor, don't use their service and use your bank money transfer, that's what I'll be doing now...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Within an hour of receiving my first transaction I received a text on my phone with a link to see if I wanted more money. Someone is working this system from the inside since our info is supposed to be encrypted. The other person in the transaction had a fraudulent transaction on their checking account. Don't use Venmo if you want to protect your money.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Reactivated my account on the phone with a rep and sent all necessary IDs and documents. Did this before the weekend because my car loan needed to come in the beginning of the following week. Received notification right before Venmo closes that my account is frozen and they won't release the money. Sent all documents again, FIVE TIMES. No adequate help from reps, today runaround on the chat room, and they are conveniently closed and screwed me on my car loan which was difficult to get and finance. Completely untrustworthy company because their reps decided not to share my information or actually do what they said. Nor communicate with each other. They've really screwed me over.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I never had used, signed up for or even heard of Venmo when I started getting e-mails from them about payments sent and received. They were for amounts under $10.00. I also received e-mails people were friending me. I tried to sign on and of course that did not work. I tried to reset my password and the e-mail address I was receiving e-mails at was not found. It looks like they found my e-mail address somewhere and started sending me the fake e-mails to get me to sign up. The e-mail address is actually my wife's. She is on a lot of job boards looking for work and that is probably where they got it from. It says it is a part of PayPal but it looks pretty scammy to me.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I was an infrequent user of Venmo. Then I changed jobs and was unable to access my email. I tried to change to a new email and sent my ID but apparently violated some agreement. I wouldn't care but a friend sent me $2K from Venmo. He showed me where it was taken out of his bank and is floating around. They've been very slow to resolve the situation. It's been over two months. My friend, a regular Venmo user, has emailed him too. Calling doesn't work. Be careful if you use them because believe me you don't want to have to contact them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I had used Venmo twice before and didn’t have any trouble. However, In December my ex-husband, whom I’m friends with, asked me to get him a cashiers check for his rent and that he would pay me back the next day. I recommended he use Venmo. He created an account and sent me the money within 24 hours. Venmo promptly sent me an email saying my account was frozen and they requested a copy of my drivers license. I sent them a copy. They then emailed me, questioning my relationship with the payee. I told them he was my ex husband. I even called Venmo and asked what the problem was. Of course their customer service department said they had no idea what the hold up was and that it would be best if I got the money from my ex husband directly because they couldn’t guarantee that they would unfreeze my account.

Not one person could give me an explanation as to why. I even emailed Venmo a picture of the cashiers check that was made out to the apartment complex for the same amount my ex paid me back. Both of our names (we even share the same last name) were on the cashiers check. They then sent me an email stating they were canceling my account without any explanation. Not one person from Venmo could tell me why. Isn’t that what Venmo is for? To transfer money?! They treated me like a criminal. I feel that they were profiling me because a man paid me over $1000. I emailed them and told them I was going to file a complaint. They never reached out to me, so on top of falsely profiling me, they also have poor customer service. Shame on you Venmo.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I had heard a few stories about Venmo being scammy or unsafe, but after doing some research, I decided to check it out anyway since I was only going to be using it between friends and for small amounts here and there. Just for when I didn't have cash on me. Had it for a few months... and then I recently had my Venmo account suspended and was notified via e-mail asking for my I.D. (as they had SOMEHOW found something that they thought "may have violated their terms"). So I read through their terms... thoroughly. I read through the entire "terms and conditions" page. Not a single violation. So I responded with my I.D. and told them that the review was unnecessary as no terms had been violated. Their only response was "your account has now been frozen". WHAT??? Absolutely infuriating!!! I can't even delete that account now because it has been FROZEN for NO reason and will not allow me to delete.

I tried to contact customer service, but *surprise* no answer from ANY human customer service representative. It has been 2 weeks and I still haven't heard back. But they were quick to respond when I explained that my account had not violated any terms or conditions. BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. They scam, they steal information, and they freeze accounts for no reason at all.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

This is unacceptable. I only just set up a Venmo account this morning and only for the sole purpose of purchasing some used appliances from a Facebook friend. The system immediately had issues processing my payment using a debit card that showed as verified. I called and was assured the issue would be resolved within 24 hours. Instead Venmo has frozen my account for violating terms of service? What exactly did I violate?! And no I will not be providing my photo ID AND bank statement AND debit card statement because it is a violation of my privacy. Besides which, as I stated, I only set up this account to process this payment.

Turn around time for Venmo to process my documents and resolve something that they screwed up in the first place then takes two days?! Unacceptable! I can drive to my friends house and hand him the money in PERSON in CASH in two hours. How exactly are they at all customer service oriented? Venmo is supposed to be a platform for the FAST RELIABLE transfer of funds between friends. They are neither fast or reliable and their system has managed to cost me an entire wasted day. I will be calling in the morning to dissolve my account and will stick to doing things the old fashioned way, it may not be the fastest way but it's definitely the most reliable and at least I'll have the peace of mind knowing the transaction was processed correctly and no one will be stealing my identity and poking their nose into my business where it doesn't belong. I wanted to buy a refrigerator, I shouldn't have to provide Venmo my life story in order to do that!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Strongly recommend against using their services. I attempted to set up an account, based on an invitation from a friend. VENMO withdrew money from my account and then sent me an email saying the transaction had failed, and my bank account link had been terminated. Run as fast as you can from their services. PayPal is a much better option in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Some dolt was able to skim off my account on the day I received a money transfer. I thought it was any number of other people I've had contact with, but the criminal in question misspelled the name of my town and wrote out my name. Tomorrow I go to the cops and report his bad behavior. For today, I am trying to find as much satisfaction as possible alerting as many people as possible to NEVER USE THIS COMPANY'S apps or anything else. They are not secure.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

A patron or vendor of VENMO has somehow managed to steal our credit card information while vacationing in Apopka, Fl. There are only a few places that our card was in the hands of someone else. Cheddar's in Daytona and we bought auto fuel at a Chevron station in Altamonte. The thieves emptied our checking account causing the legitimate purchases to bounce/overdraft. When I contacted our credit union they began working on it but gave me the customer service # for VENMO. A company we had never heard of.

When I contacted VENMO, they refused to tell me who processed the 2 payments or where the culprits were located, saying "they need to legally protect their client." The Sheriff's department from Altamonte informed us this is a common crime due to the high rate of tourism. In my personal opinion, VENMO's reluctance to provide the victim with information that would prevent them from being re-victimized is similar to money laundering because they are protecting the thieves. I'm hoping the FTC will become involved with this company to protect consumers.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I am a user of Venmo, I have used it for almost a year with great results. However recently I changed my phone number and I am not able to log in to my account. They have made it extremely difficult to be able to access your account. They at some point ask you to send a Photo I. D, which I declined to do as they requested it to be sent through email. I emailed them informing them I do not feel safe sending that type of information through email for personal security reasons. I have given them the information they have requested to authenticate my account and they are still not unlocking my account. They also use an annoying email template that basically replies the same thing every time you contact them. I am very upset at this point, their management need to verify and update their security authentication process, they are locking out good users. They lost a client with me.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I can't believe this company still exists nothing but scams. My friend couldn't take money from ATM because it's over limit. I give him $800 cash. He pay me back with Venmo. I transfer to my bank account. Never receive. Venmo took my money. I call, nobody to talk too. I just find out same thing happens to my other friends.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

NOT AN ETHICAL COMPANY! If you send money to a recipient who does not accept it or in my case could not accept it then Venmo keeps your money, or at least says they can not refund it back to you which means it is no longer your money... Read everything about how Venmo works BEFORE YOU SIGN UP WITH THEM AND TRUST THEM WITH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY - I have been a PayPal customer since they started and PayPal is the most reliable and economical when it comes to sending and receiving money. And if the recipient does not accept your payment you do not lose your money!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Yesterday, October 11th, 2107, I attempted to pay Justin ** $550 for rent due. The Justin ** I paid was the incorrect Justin **. The incorrect, and honest, Justin noticed the mistake and returned my money. After having the money returned to my Venmo account and then left on my Venmo as $550, I paid the correct Justin ** $550. Venmo took this money out of my bank account instead of using the money I already had in my Venmo account which at that moment was $520 (I had just completed another payment for my cell phone bill, which, WAS taken out of my Venmo account). Why did that money, $520, not get used first and then the remainder, $30, pulled from my personal bank?

I woke up this morning to find out, embarrassingly, that my ATM card was unusable and that I have no money in my bank account. I am now left without money. I could not order coffee, breakfast, or lunch today, so now I sit at work for 10 hours with no food or coffee. I, also, cannot put gas in my truck when I leave today, buy cigarettes, go to the movies tonight with my friends after work, go out to eat with them after... or do anything because, against all common sense and logic, your system withdrew more money than it needed to complete a transfer. I not only lost money, got bank fees, and left helpless but also the ability to in essence do anything for the next 24 hours! There is no reason to request money from a personal bank account when the funds are readily available in your own system already. They should have been pulled from Venmo's account FIRST.

The only logical explanation is that this is a systematic way to artificially inflate your bank balance every 24-hour cycle and thus allow you to gain potentially more interest. I understand that keeping that $520 on your balance sheet for another night doesn't create a huge return by itself but when you couple it with the fact that Justin ** has $550 in his Venmo account (that MUST sit there for 24 hours) as well, you have, for all intents, doubled the amount of money on your balance sheet and increase your own bottom line more. If this practice of taking money unnecessarily from your customer's bank accounts when it is already in their Venmo accounts is a truly a systematic and widespread issue then it is a HUGE deal. (One simple Google search shows me that I am not the first one to notice or take offense to this 'hostage-holding' approach to money transfer.)

This is not an accident or a setting that I should set, your system should work in a clear manner and not have any inherent loopholes and grey areas like this. I know you will say you took it out of my bank because there wasn't enough to cover the full amount but that excuse is paper thin and still makes no sense. Why was the money NOT taken from Venmo first?... Any of it? I am very upset about this, I use your services very frequently but will no longer be using it (or PayPal) after what happened yesterday and will request all my clients, friends, and whoever will listen to switch to Google Wallet or Square Cash.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Venmo stole money out of account using my debit card information. I never even heard of Venmo, let alone use it. Now I am trying to deal with my bank to get my stolen money back and it's taking a while. They are CROOKS!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Made my account about a year ago and I have only used it for one transaction. Recently I tried using the app for the first time in about a year and they said my account was frozen for suspicious activity (remember I only used it once to receive a few dollars from a friend). I emailed Venmo trying to get my account unfrozen and they said that I had violated the user agreement and that I was a liability. They also wouldn't even tell me exactly what I did or what the user agreements were. When I called the helpline the people on the other end were clueless. When I emailed back again the man dismissed me and told me that my account is permanently shut down and that the email line for my account was being closed also so I couldn't ask anymore questions.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I'm really disappointed when people take advantage of me on a service like Venmo, and then Venmo doesn't help people get their money back. If a bank sent funds, I could count on getting that. I'm disappointed in Venmo.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I woke up this morning and when I checked my debit card transactions online, I noticed that I had two charges from VENMO. I have no idea who they are, and have never heard of them until now. They charged my card for a total of $1,478.21. I called my bank and reported the fraud, but I can only surmise that this company VENMO is stealing people's money and no one is doing anything about it. I wouldn't do business with this company if they paid me. Buyer beware when you interact with VENMO.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I used Venmo to sell a car, the person has my car and venmo deactivated my account and stated there will be no further contact. So I have no money, no car, and there is not ONE legitimate reason as to why or if I need to go and find authorities to get my car back. I am stuck in limbo with zero communication. I received a text message even yesterday as to how they love the car and are driving it. But because of Venmo I can't access my funds, without an explanation.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I sent money via Venmo to pay for e-tickets and when the scammer got my money, they removed their Venmo account and stopped emailing me. I contacted Venmo to do something but they said I shouldn't have done it. Really, that's your reply?! What BS! They didn't offer any help or solution. Horrible company that's made for scammers to exploit! I even tried to report the scammer account. They did nothing. Venmo is owned by Paypal yet they are useless. What kind of company doesn't try to document the scam or have some measure of security? I am so mad! They could have stopped it and yet did nothing. Don't use Venmo! They don't care about you.

Original review: July 31, 2017

My husband and I never heard of this awful company, until about three weeks ago when somehow my husband's debit card number was used to access our business account and steal more than a $1,000.00 dollars from us. I called our bank and informed them we didn't do the charges and don't let the charges go thru (they were in the hold stage), but they did anyway. That was equally upsetting. We received a letter from our bank saying, because it is a business account our dispute is not recognized under the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, and they will have to investigate. As of today, some scum has OUR money! All because of this horrible company VENMO.

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Venmo Company Information

venmo.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use