1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

156 Venmo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Keep in mind that Venmo has a zero consumer protection policy. You have no protection from being defrauded by the seller who may never send the product. I purchased something via Venmo and the seller sold it to someone else, saying Venmo never moved the money to her account. When I tried to address it with Venmo, they read protocol off a script and refused to confirm or deny that the funds were received by the seller. There was no denial that they pulled my money from my account. They said that the only way that the transaction could be reversed was by the seller, who can't reverse it because her account says it never went through.

When I informed them that I would have to file a complaint with my credit card to contest the charge, they threatened that even if the Credit Card company reversed the payment, Venmo would hold me responsible and report it adversely on my credit record. They said I should have read the infinitely long tiny print agreement. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I normally use ApplePay for any money transfers I would make to friends and family. However, in a recent transaction I downloaded the Venmo app due to money being sent to me from a friend who uses the app. After a fairly painless registration and having to enter a personal credit card for any transactions that I do not have enough Venmo funds for. This quickly turned into a nightmare.

The drama started the first week of February when my friend sent me money through the Venmo app. I received the money in my account immediately and thought, wow, that was easy. Well, then it got interesting. You have two options in using your funds. 1) You can transfer the amount directly into your bank account after giving bank account information or 2) Use a retail site that accepts Venmo. I did not want my bank information to be revealed and thought it was the best and safest decision. So, started to research what retailers I could visit in person to use my funds. Come to find out that you are either extremely limited or cannot use the funds to pay for a service or product in person. Ok, so now what? I looked further and found out I could use the funds through the Venmo app with a retailer that Venmo has partnered with.

I didn’t find any retailers that I would use myself, but did find Urban Outfitters to purchase for my kids. So, I proceeded to make an online purchase giving me the option to pay using my Venmo funds. Again, you have to go through the Venmo app to find these retailers whom you can purchase with using your Venmo funds. I made it all the way through the transaction, paid using my Venmo funds and thought that was it. To my surprise, I received a prompt telling me that I encountered a problem. Thought that was weird as I did everything correctly. I didn’t receive any confirmation of my purchase with Urban Outfitters so I called their customer service line. They were very helpful and I was informed that there were no pending transactions.

I was a little disappointed as the purchase was for clothing to gift one of my kids for their birthday. I then went back to my Venmo app and noticed that there was a pending charge to be sent to Urban Outfitters. This was strange as UO just told me that there were no completed or pending transactions. I thought, maybe it takes a day or two so I patiently waited for my Venmo account to be updated with no pending transactions since UO already informed me that they did not have an order for me.

After using my patience I decided to contact them using their online chat option through their app. I was told that a $ amount was pending and going to be deducted from my personal credit card due to not having enough money to cover the entire transaction amount...what?! Granted I did not have enough to cover the entire amount, but was only about $17 over. So, my thought was that the funds from my Venmo account would be used first to pay for my so called transaction and then $ that I go over would be charged to my credit card. Wouldn’t that make sense? Apparently this was not the case.

Basically you have to make a transaction for exactly the amount you have in the Venmo acct or go under, leaving some funds remaining in your acct. It would be a never ending attempt to try and use up what I have in my Venmo acct. So frustrating. At that point I decided to transfer the funds to my bank acct. Something I did not want to do due to security reasons, but at this point I was really fed up.

It took a few business days for the money to appear in my bank. Once received I quickly deleted my bank account information and personal credit card info from the Venmo app. I tried to then close my Venmo acct, but was told that I still had a pending transaction. Yes, this was the transaction that never went through to UO, yet Venmo still had it as a pending transaction. I was told that this transaction could take 12 full calendar days to finalize or void and that I should be cleared to close my account next week. What a stressful experience. Note to self...do not EVER use Venmo again. My experience may be out of the norm and others may be extremely satisfied with their experience. This was just what I am going through and thought it would be helpful to others.

Get expert buying tips about Money Transfer and International Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I was sent $160 to pay some bills and I had to wait on the card to arrive to access my money and once the card finally arrived I went to activate it on the app and it told me to deposit money into the Venmo account to be able to use the card. I refused because I had $160 already in Venmo Balance. Then On a Friday after the office is closed I get an email stating my account is frozen. So I had to upload a picture of my ID but had to wait until Monday when they are open again.

Then when Monday gets here I call to see what is the issue and I didn't get an answer except it was escalated and I will hear back from them 2-3 business days. I tried to talk to the department that handles frozen accounts but the only way is through email which I've emailed them 7 times and still no reply. I'm going to be disconnected because of them holding my money and not allowing me access to what belongs to me. I'm so angry once I get my money. This card will be thrown in Garbage.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I noticed they were taking an unauthorized $500 from my account. I called them immediately and after over 30 minutes on hold, they refused to do anything about it. I'm in shock at how callous she was, with absolutely no remorse for her company stealing $500 from me. It's definitely not money I could spare. I called the bank and they're going to have to dispute it with Venmo. Please, please, please don't give this company access to your accounts, it's a fraud!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My father is 83 and has had a bank account with a credit union for some years. He does not have a debit card for this account because this CU says he is not credit worthy since his wife left him and messed up his credit..now he cannot open another bank account because of that mess..that is a whole different story in itself. Anyway, The nearest branch of this CU is over 4 hours away, they do not have this CU in our state and makes it difficult to get any money at all. So we opened up a Venmo account for him and my husband and myself. After a few days, we were able to verify his checking account. He sent my husband money, so he could have some cash and also to get his personal stuff and so on.

Well, the money went through, though it took 4 days. Then, he sent money again, this time so we could try and get him a prepaid card so we would not have to deal with a middle man... well Venmo decided to Freeze my husbands account. No explanation at all, just froze it. They asked for a copy of his ID, sent it. 36 hours later, they asked for his bank statements... no reason why. Sent that. Then another 48 hours later, they said it was not good enough because they wanted PROOF that my husbands debit was his saying they needed to SEE PURCHASES WITH THE DEBIT CARD... made no sense. So we sent another copy of the bank statement, no word yet, but my husband's account has a temporary freeze on it and they said they cannot delete it.

In the meantime, Venmo decided to PERMANENTLY DEACTIVATE my dad's account. So we call, no reasons were given. I mean NO REASON. Talk to a specialist they said. We called and called and still no one will tell us WHY. We emailed 15 times.....yes 15. Still no answer as to WHY. My dad has a little over $700 in his Venmo account. Now we cannot even send it back to his CU because the account has been permanently deactivated... But this morning, BAILEY said... "Your funds in your account are being held for review which can take up to 180 days. IF we DEEM the funds suitable for release, we will contact you with the next steps."

SERIOUSLY??? IF they deem suitable? WTF does that mean? Next steps? He is 83 years old... Lord forbid if something happens to him in the next 6 months. Then what? They took a few days to transfer the money and now they are not going to give it back??? First it may take 6 months and then it's up to them to give BACK my dads money? How is this even legal? I am calling an attorney today. I am so angry. I honestly do not know how they are getting away with this... This company needs to be shut down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have had the same savings account for 20 years, and it is the only account I have ever needed. My credit card stems from this account and has obviously worked great for 2 decades. Not only was connecting the account difficult since I wasn't with one of their pre-determined banks of choice, but my account was marked "invalid" after Venmo authorized a payment that pulled directly from my account rather than the amount I had placed on my Venmo balance. My bank allows a certain number of pulls from the account each month, and I had plenty of money on my balance for the meal I was Venmoing for. But for some reason it pulled from the account rather than that balance. Not only did this cause frustration dealing with my bank, but once it invalidated my account, customer service refused to help re-validate it.

I was transferred to multiple departments, and finally to a supervisor. The supervisor made it clear they *could* re-validate accounts, and yet refused to respond as to why it did not pull from my balance and refused to re-validate the account. It was a completely asinine conversation and a waste of multiple hours of my time. I repeat, Do Not Use Venmo. It's a terrible service and I refuse to be treated this way as a customer.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I sold a few Pacers tickets - before sending the tickets I called Venmo to go over the sale and full disclosure told them everything. Customer service agent assured me I was good to go and protected. SO I sent the tickets. 2 days later - they said I violated the their terms and conditions...after I FULLY discussed and disclosed my situation. This is worse than a scam because I did all my due diligence and still got screwed. Never using Venmo ever again... Beware!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I had changed my phone number so I couldn’t get a verification code so I reached out to support. ELIZABETH would not help me. I asked to Just cancel my account so I could start over. She wanted me to send my bank account info via email. When I said I’m not willing her response was when I said I would use another service was: "Okay that's fine! Have a wonderful day!" Super unprofessional and happily will never use them again. If you are an online service - train your staff how to be professional and yet helpful. As an HR role - she’d be fired and the company should be embarrassed!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Venmo used to be good then they removed the option to send someone money from your computer. Not everyone has a cellphone or has access to apps all the time. Often times a computer is all I am able to use. What a horrible company to remove the ability to pay online. That is the whole point. There is no good reason to make it so that you cannot pay from a computer except to force us to download their app so they can make more money. Selfish, greedy, company. I would not be surprised to find out they are doing sketchy things with your personal information.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

So I spoke to a guy named Scotty last week. Was trying to unfroze my account. The reason why my account was frozen in the 1st place was because of their department's stupidity. I cannot believe how I was treated when I was trying to resolve the issue. After Scotty let me know did he took hear everything I can appall him but Dinah ** was unprofessional regarding how I was feeling about the whole situation. Never ever will call back for customer service. Unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I had a friend to send me $1,380.00 and Venmo stopped the transaction and took my money! I was told that the department that handles this issue only communicates through email (no phone calls). It’s going on 3 weeks now and haven’t gotten my money! I am going to file fraud charges immediately!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I pay or get paid by the same people each month. To pay my gardener, for example, I have to search for him each time and since his "identity" is a number attached to his name Venmo assigned and not identified by his phone number or email, I always have to find my notation of his "identity." One would think it would be possible to click on a link in our history of transactions to make repeat payments. The issue I always have with Venmo is identifying the right person to pay. Older people often don't add a photo and if they do, the small photo on Venmo isn't always clear. So I have to text my friend to ask his/her Venmo identity. Having said this, I always find the transfer of funds quite quick, but "Who ya gonna call if a transaction goes haywire?" I plan to get my gardener and others set up on Zelle. At least, that payment system is associated with a brick and mortar bank where there is recourse if payments are transferred incorrectly.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

It's happened to us all. Phone in pocket, phone unlocks, phone buttons mash themselves and take you on a magical, unknown at the time, super crazy and sometimes improbable ride to wherever chance prefers to go. There are 3 ways to correct any issues therein, an apology, a call, or a cancel button push. Chances are these 3 solutions will correct any and all aspects of this cellular phone phenomenon because all phones are designed this way and 99.999999% is simply just how it works. This is not the category of Venmo as per design it would seem after review of any search engines pull up with any combination of the words "issues", "theft", "missing money", or "problems with" and the word "Venmo".

My story (all of my tale of events are backed up with daily account screenshots of both Venmo and bank accounts) is this in simple form; Phone in pocket while working, phone does phone acid and starts to trip out pressing random buttons, feel phone vibrate, phone opened Venmo on 01/08/2019, a request transfer of $110.00 from my bank account to my Venmo account via Venmo app. No cancel requests button, no ability to cancel with calling reps of Venmo as per what they convey as excuses, no help with emailing Venmo or chatting on their website with them as no one ever responds aside of auto responses of excuses for no human assistance, bank account shows pending withdraw.

Call to Venmo suggest one and only solution "wait for withdraw to finalize out bank" which then will be available instantly on Venmo account then and instantly deposit back into bank account before the next day's daily cycle of updating acccount information, (just to be clear, their idea to rectify situation is to now stay on guard and do the work for them that they ought be doing seeings how I pay them money for a service, a service that otherwise my bank I know have learned would transfer for free, all though not with the ease I pay transfer percentages to some apps), sometime between 01/10/2019 and 01/11/2019 the bank finalizes transfer (btw $35 stop payment fee with bank of which I only have a poor person balance of about $85.00 with no income expected within the next 10-14 days and rent already 3 weeks late due to lack of work at job, crappy after holiday hours).

I awake to overdraft bank account and OD fee meaning Venmo received full $110.00, it's now 01/13/2019 and my Venmo account still reads $0.00 balance, I've still received no help or returns or OD fee repayments from Venmo. They are completely avoiding me, refusing to answer emails with anything other than an automated questionnaire to rate Venmo's service in regards to finding a solution to my query??? Venmo are you serious???

Venmo's service has caused a string of horrible events for me because if this. Bank account cut off. Work for out of town peoples who paid me through cash apps that instantly deposit funds to my account that doesn't exist anymore, can't open another account cause checks system denies me with all banks. $58 balance of OD and OD fees is all I owe bank, but I have no cash cause clients prefer paper trail as per IRS paperwork. Tomorow I'm evicted for nonpayment of rent even though I luckily in a sense have all money on app I cannot withdraw. Haven't eaten in about 2 1/2 almost 3 days now aside 1 banana and 1/2 candy bar (no family left financially able to assist).

This is how a series of events can play out when trust is instilled into a company along with payment for services and only trust shown was when I did as I was instructed and repeated service fees have been subtracted from my funds. Since it would seem it's ok for you to service charge me 1% to get my own money in an instant because you have to do whatever it is you do to get the funds. To me, it would seem only fair that be able to charge you for making my life this all around completely and utterly scattered in disarray, emotionally distressed, all while financially destitute, and all while losing most belongings due now being shelter deprived.

This is how Venmo seemingly based on actions shows appreciation to those who provide a percentage based income per every transaction made as payment for service, And all done for Venmo to never return anything remotely helpful. ** if someone could help me out with a solution a person in my shoes could do? (Or a way to make life a bit better for a South Mississippi local to not add to the homeless factor of my area which is great in quantity and low on solutions.) This is a very scary path I've been set on. Hey Venmo = idea for app update, pending transaction cancel button, great idea, literally would not cost a thing financially to the business. And would subtract client and company headaches from the equation.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

The whole reason I got the Venmo debt card was so I didn’t have to transfer money into my other bank accounts and would have an alternative. I have been trying to pull money out of my Venmo balance with my card and it keeps declining even though the money is there. I called Venmo helpline and they won’t give me an answer to the error. I’m freaking out because I need this money in cash or money order form to pay rent and I can’t do either. Very upset and frustrated.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

When we log in to our Venmo account, we only see the transactions of the money we have shared with other people. We never see the history of the transactions that would go between our Venmo account and our Bank account. We never know how many transfers we had from our Venmo account to our bank account. Today, for example, I was so lucky to accidentally find out that I transferred $400 from my Venmo to my Bank Account on the 4th of this month, and it's not there in my bank account!!! Venmo leaves no tracking history to these outgoing transactions. I'm not even able to see what date I made that transaction. Everything is concealed and the clients may not even remember that they transferred these funds, especially when they transfer too many transactions. So, if Venmo fails to transfer the funds to your bank account, just like they did with me, you will never notice.

This is a very risky and shady design. Venmo needs to be transparent with their clients and give them access to their out of Venmo transactions, much like what PayPal does. PayPal is very transparent. They never surreptitiously failed to transfer money. Everything is accounted for in PayPal. Now, where is the $400 that I tried to transfer to my bank account on the fourth? (I can't even remember the date because Venmo conceals all these out of Venmo transactions?!!). Venmo needs to be transparent and accountable for everything. Where is the $400? I transferred one $400 and I see that it hit my bank account on the third, but then I transferred another $400 the other day. Where is it?

The only way I have to find out about the out of Venmo transactions is to go to my bank account and see if funds have arrived. Too complicated. There's no chart for the outgoing transactions from Venmo to your bank account. Too shady. The only reason I use Venmo service is that all my clients want to use Venmo. I'm trying to persuade them to use PayPal. I will teach them how to use it. In my case, there's a limit on how much I can transfer to my bank account. With PayPal, there's no limit. I don't understand why my clients even use your service despite all these restrictions and shortenings. Now, where is my $400?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

PayPal as a whole is sketchy and they have a history of randomly flagging deposits and if you get hacked as a whole it easier to go through your bank to fix things than deal with PayPal’s terrible service. I hadn't had a problem with the app but then I got an e-mail earlier in the month stating they were tying all Venmo accounts to anyone who has had a PayPal account frozen or taken from them in the past and if there is a negative balance they will take your Venmo balance! You need to cancel your Venmo account before 1/29 (I think) if you don't want this to happen.

I had my PayPal hacked years ago and my PayPal balance was stolen. After fixing all my CC's and Bank I tried to get it fixed through PayPal, however they wanted unreasonable identification sent through snail mail which I would NEVER trust. I should have known better to even bother with Venmo. Well my account is closed, google you have to do it on the web! And deleted the app. I have switched to Cash App!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I sent my daughter $500.00 for earnest money on a new house. It came out of my account ASAP but never reached her account. We both called customer service and got the "runaround" after several messages & emails... Still no one could give me a straight answer. I sent a certified letter and they "denied my claim"?? Where is my money?? I never got it back & she never got it... Beware of sending large amounts!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I transferred $500 to my daughter for her Christmas money because she was moving into her college dorm and needed the money quickly. It has now been a week and they are refusing to determine what their issue is. The funds came out of my account the very next business day. As of this Wednesday, Chase Bank is helping my daughter file Fraud charges against Venmo. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Money that I tried to send my daughter, $500, would not deliver to her. After several days, of correspondence with customer service, a customer service person finally refunded it to my Venmo account, but it would not transfer back to my debit card, or my daughter's. The customer service rep kept giving us the same, useless instructions. I googled the answer myself. It requires the bank routing and account number for a "standard" transfer, which supposedly takes several days. A customer service rep "Tierra **" took an adolescent attitude, and kept seeming me smirking replies, even after I told her to not reply. I do not see on the Venmo website a way to contact her supervisor. If I get my money back I'll be pleasantly surprised. I will not trust them again with my money.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I believe VENMO is a legitimate scam. It has very sketchy policies after you have set up your account. I was scammed out of $150.00 with no recourse from the company. I will stay with CASH APP, you should too.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Venmo, you guys are currently messing up. You are going to lose an excess amount of clientele this season if you keep these sketchy business policies. One, I wasn't notified about your percentage changes and it appears to be the third or 4th jump within a 3 month period. And these charges are large jumps. Remember your place. This is not an actual bank and it feels like straight thievery when you are taking whole dollars for an invisible service. All of your competition is not pulling the way you are all of a sudden, With more convenient services. I was a client before your popularity I know the company has to grow and I get what happens during. But the moves made aside from the Venmo card has been very greedy. And allowing customers to put money into the Venmo account from the bank account should have been one of the very first things done but it only just got upgraded as an option.

I truly was rooting for your company and building my own company off of yours. All my clientele download the app just to because I only use Venmo but this level of robbery I can't stand for and currently opening a Zelle account or something else. I just thought you should know why you are losing client's in case you have been confused. But maybe you are also growing. But if there's even one percent of people that think or feel like me. According to your business math that 1% can magically grow exponentially in a few month months to where you just might notice. You definitely keep customers longer term when they don't feel robbed or shafted. Just saying.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I used this app before a couple of times but now it's acting weird. I tried to transfer money out of it and now it's declining to transfer through my bank card. Eventually I had to transfer the long way so we will wait and see. Not happy with having to do it this way at all. I think I'll stick to accepting cash payments from now on and delete my Venmo all together. Did you know Venmo and PayPal are the same people. PayPal owns Venmo since 2016...

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

So yesterday, a friend wanted to send me money to pay me. I told her I wanted to test Venmo before using it. I have received payments before from Venmo but I've never transferred my Venmo balance to my bank. I decided to transfer the money and the process wouldn't go through. I used the credit/debit card option and for some reason the Venmo app says the instant transfer is not working. It suggests I transfer money using a direct transfer and giving them my bank account numbers. I decided to research Venmo and found Consumer Affairs and was horrified by the user experiences. I decided not to give my bank account numbers so Venmo cannot pull money out easily. I've also decided to cancel the Venmo card that I've ordered.

I tried closing the Venmo account but it won't let me until I give them my bank account number. So I've decided to remove my card from the app and they can keep the rest of the remaining balance on my Venmo account. I will not be using this service any longer. I tried chatting with their customer service and I literally have to wait hours. When I couldn't wait any longer, I closed the app and then the customer rep emails me and says I'm no longer in chat. Well, duh! I waited hours without a response to my issues. I am now trying out Google Pay. It is available on Android and Apple devices. Apple Pay is also a good alternative but is only available with Apple devices. Both companies are more trustworthy than Venmo.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

So about a month ago I noticed that from my Venmo account was sent $500.00 to someone I didn't know and don't even have on my contact list. The same day I emailed Venmo that I don't recognize that transaction and don't give my permission to take money from my bank account. Because of that incident I even closed my bank account. Last Friday on 12/14/18 I received an email from Venmo saying that they sent money to that "unknown person" and that I now owe Venmo $500.00. I called them and all they said is that my account will remain frozen until I pay them. I mean who does that??? Why would they send money to someone I don't even know and after I told them not to sent it?? I filed the police report. Let them deal with Venmo, I am out. There is no way I send them $500.00. The worst company ever.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was introduced to Venmo as my son worked for someone who wanted to pay through Venmo. Not a problem, I got this! NOT! I accidentally added a closed account and my transfer was denied, I was notified and corrected it IMMEDIATELY. Venmo then made 2 deposits and 2 withdrawals, 1 for $ .08 and another for $ .28. It worked... NOT SO FAST... I then waited patiently for over a week and still no transfer. I checked the Venmo account and no money in the account and it’s not in my bank. 23 emails and I can’t tell you how many phone calls between Venmo and my Financial Institution I had... Here we are over 2 weeks later still working on it... One Customer Service Rep from Venmo said at one time he had 5... Count ‘em FIVE Supervisors looking into this and they could not figure it out!

I called my bank at Venmo’s request and got a trace number for which I then called Venmo back, AGAIN, and provided this to them. NOW, they are telling me they can’t locate the funds and will need A LETTER FROM MY BANK validating that my bank returned the funds. Good Lord! Help me... PLEASE! I transferred the money owed my son from MY MONEY and have since written VENMO OFF FOR GOOD! DONE, FINISHED, THAT’S IT! I’ve got WAY MORE than $120 bucks (the amount I personally paid my son from MY MONEY) of time and energy invested in this while Venmo keeps the money owed my son. I see all the reviews and all I can say is SCAMAROO!!! I will never have anything good to say about Venmo, ever!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I receive $1000 payment. It was in my account. I try to withdraw it and they froze my account. Asking me for a ID which I send over right away. Days later I hear back from them because the only communication is through email for this matter. The people’s on the phone are ** useless. They said further review your account has been permanently deleted. What the ** is going on. I’m out $1000 now. Was the payment from a fraud user or something. I don’t ** understand. Why would Venmo make me accept a payment and then days later tell me it’s a unauthorized source and now delete me. They will not communicate with me. ** crooks. Let’s sue this ** company. Sue sue. Class lawsuit. Looks like they have robbed tons of people. I have no acres to my funds and no 1 from Venmo will help me. They ghost me. Phone. Live chat and email. Said some ** truly sorry and goodbye. Are you ** kidding me with this**. Please someone help me ASAP.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Venmo kept my $250 and it's been over 12 days still refuses to let me get my money from my account. I tried using their venmo card everywhere and says, "Contact bank." I called them 3 times, tell me the same thing, and they even laugh when you are talking to agents. They know they're doing people bad. I did read reviews and complaints of other users being robbed in the same way. I'm being robbed by them. My wife is terminally ill and I need this money asap to pay my electric bill.

This is a Paypal company? What a shame they also own eBay Company!!! What a disgrace!!! Fraud!!! Shut this company down. It's not right stealing people's money like this. God help this fraudulent company. To all who are going through this contact FTC.ORG, put complaints in, and start a petition someone. Let's shut them down. If small companies get shut down then they can be shut down too. A billion dollar corporation robbing money? It's simply disgusting.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Like most of the recent reviews on here, I too just found out that Venmo permanently deactivated my account because my bank had to recover funds that Venmo held from me. This means that my Venmo balance cannot be deposited into my bank account and Venmo gets to keep it? How is this even legal? Support simply asked me to send a photo of my driver’s license to prove my identity before unfreezing my account only for them to permanently close it all together with no viable explanation.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

So I use Zelle & Cash App mainly and recently just tried Venmo. My buddy was sending me Christmas money. Long story short I contacted the customer service contact us on the app and Venmo froze my account for no reason at all and basically stole $160 worth of Christmas money doing this. I am so pissed I can’t even see straight. This app is a lie and a huge waste of time and money. Just PayPal inc. doing the best they can to say they are “preventing fraud” but really all they are doing is ripping people off. Be smart. Use any other money medium instead. Don’t be a victim. What a joke. Literally livid.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I'm a victim like everyone else! I've read their comments about freezing your account & no help at all after you've done everything they requested! They froze my account without telling me a legitimate reason why. I have waited to pay bills & my funds are unavailable. I went through the whole run around only to still sit here with no help and money still frozen. This company needs to be shut down! Shut it down! Shut it down! There's no way they still can be operating with only a customer service agent available to talk that can't even solve your problem! Shut them down! Shut them down! Give me my money back & everyone else’s money back & shut down!

Venmo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

• Best for: Venmo is best for individuals who frequently split checks or bills with friends or family members.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs