3.8/5 (1158 ratings)

About Venmo

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I would of given a negative ZERO if I could. This is the ABSOLUTE company I have EVER experienced. I cashed a check with my Employer to Venmo on 9.6.22, I received an email that I needed to write VOID across the check, I did, they then sent an email stating that they still couldn't cash the check and that it was still cashable. I took it to my personal bank and it was rejected stating it was already cashed. I contacted my employer to reissue and they stated it was already cashed. THE FUNDS AREN'T IN MY ACCOUNT. I contact Venmo, they stated to contact Ingo, Ingo stated to contact Venmo. And so the ** begins. I am VERY upset that it is now 9.16.22 and they still don't have a clue where my funds are. They put in a ticket and I have to wait 3 business days and it's Friday. WOW JUST WOW! This is horrible and disgusting CS.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I used to love this program. My account has been frozen twice in the last two months for photos of my ID. I have submitted those photos three separate times. I had money in my Venmo. My case has been escalated five times with no resolution. Every time I call they say I can’t speak to an account specialist. And an account specialist is the only person that can unfreeze my account the amount of time that it will take to get a response increases every time I make a phone call. This is not only unacceptable but just ridiculous. No 1 call resolution. No accountability. No care. No professionalism. They literally just stole my money.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I really strongly dislike Venmo!!! Tthe worst customer support! And transphobic company policies as well. Can't believe that in this age and year they disclose people's legal name just like that to anyone you send money to! Was trying to make an account and then found out that my dead name is gonna be visible to literally anyone which is traumatizing and literally puts my life in danger. Then they blocked the account immediately for no reason, I haven't even made a single transaction or used the app for longer than 10 minutes.

Now these people demand me to verify my identity by sending them a selfie with me holding my id. When I ask them to close my account bc I'm not gonna use their trash of a service, they say "oh no we can't" and send me to close my account in settings which don't let me do it bc they have to verify my id first. Oh god it's like a cursed endless loop, I'm sure this is what hell looks like. Just like close my account how hard can this be, no need to make things so complicated, if I refuse to verify my ID just close the account. This seems to be the most logical thing on planet earth no? Disgusting transphobes.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Venmo stole over 1/2 Ethereum from my account. I have never transferred (couldn't until the last month anyways) or sold one single Ethereum that I bought through Venmo. Every buy transaction I have ever made with Venmo is on the ledger and their customer service doesn't care after showing all evidence and just steals from its customers. Venmo is owned by PayPal which is known for such tactics. NEVER buy crypto using Venmo or PayPal.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Very challenging to link bank accounts, as Plaid either doesn't communicate say with Synchrony Bank, or Plaid says try another bank later, or repeatedly asks you for your Bank's security question over and over and over. Impossible to transfer money on a desktop, like Paypal. Venmo is a life complicator.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

My account was hacked via a phone call, which I had not seen or heard of before. The caller ID said Venmo and the hacker said my account was compromised and asked me to press a few buttons on the phone call. Somehow this granted them access to my account. The issue I have with Venmo is that I now have $405.60 missing from my bank account and they said an account specialist will reach out in 10 days!? ** for many people in the US, this is a lot of money when rent is due on the 1st. Disappointing and will be sharing my story to others.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Do not use this app or trust them with your money or banking information or anything else. They state in their rules clearly online if you accidentally sent someone money they can not get it back. You have to contact the person and see if they will give it back to you. This is a lie. Someone sent me money on accident and they went right in my account and sent it back. Then when they sent it back they left a comment like it was me. Something obscene and suspended my account to try and cover it up and then tried to act like my account was hacked.

I will not do business with anyone that uses or accepts this payment and I would suggest nobody else does either if they are willing to break their own rules for $150. There is no telling what else they will do or have already done to people. All they had to do was simply to me, "A mistake was made. Can we give it back?" And I would have had no problem with that. Now I want the money that was stolen out of my account. I have filed with the FTC AND BBB already. All they will tell me is they are investigating what happened when they are the ones who did this. So use at your own risk and I definitely would not buy and hold cryptocurrency currency there. There's no telling what they would do with that.

Resolution response: Sept. 10, 2022

With BBB's help I received all of my money on September 1, 2022. As soon as my money was released I removed all of my financial information and then closed my account. But, I feel like in doing so, that Venmo and their deception will appear again in a negative light somehow, just because my financial information 'was' stored on their site. Time will tell. But I will NEVER EVER use this company again. If you haven't reported this bogus company to BBB do so ASAP, they will help you.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

On August 16, 2022, as the consensus of the consumers here regarding Venmo, $1500 of my money is on hold due to a "freeze" on my account. In addition, I was told to wait 3 weeks for a response! I took my complaint to BBB where there is a flood of the same complaints about Venmo's deceptive practices of not releasing their funds. What I found on the BBB website is that Venmo responds to them, in fact returning all monies reported. I strongly encourage you to file a claim with BBB. The chance of receiving your money, unfreezing your account or whatever other low down and unethical practices that Venmo is involved in is high. The irony of Venmo's deceptive practices is that they hold an A rating and is known as an accredited business (mind blown).

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Keep bouncing me back and forth. This is a horrible experience and I will warn everyone to stay away. My husband got paid in June, you did this to his account as well, (first needed ID verification, placed account on hold for weeks, - proved that - then stayed locked and wanted bank statements proving account was his - did all this and still couldn't add a card, kept getting error messages so he gave up and I made an account - no matter how you set it up it gets locked). The funds were transferred to me and now they are doing the same crap to me. Since June. (August now.)

Absolutely the worst cash paying app ever, there is no tier 2, customer service is a joke of emails bouncing back and forth from account specialist to customer service. Reporting this to the press and to Better Business Bureau. Venmo is horrible to hold people's paychecks for months. Absolutely horrible. Still no resolution. BTW account is unlocked but still needs review after account specialist cleared me, went back to customer service and she sent me back to account specialist which take 3 weeks to answer you via email BTW! Still no access to money worked for. Absolute garbage app. They don't care. They will rudely talk over in whatever language answers the phone. No monitoring. They will yell at you, then hang up, but hey they get their pay and hold yours.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I switched to Venmo after a few people told me that it was an easy app with not many issues, boy was that the complete opposite of the truth. I opened my account and had money sent from a friend and they immediately froze my account for over a month and did not give me a reason why or tell me when it was going to be released. We are going on almost 5 weeks now and I still have my money pending in limbo on the App. I am 99% sure they are stealing my money and will not return it, I am getting a lawyer involved this company is a complete scam, save yourself the time and money and use cash app or Zelle.

Venmo author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

Venmo Company Information