2. Finance

Send money internationally

If you are looking to send or receive money abroad consider TransferWise

Get started

Venmo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Venmo?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

During the Covid-19 quarantine, my son wasn't able to work at the bar where he has been an assistant manager over the last five years. The bar still hasn't opened completely, but he was able to find employment in a different field in the meantime. However, the money he was used to making was diminished significantly. I have used Venmo several times to assist him financially and it has proven to be an easy and reliable way to provide help to loved ones without putting anyone at risk. Thanks! Stay safe and VOTE!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I recommend Venmo because it's easy to transfer money to and from friends. You can also write notes to remember the transaction. Venmo has 3 tricky aspects: First, finding people for the first time can be tricky. Second, you need to actively deposit money people send you. Otherwise Venmo stores it for you without interest. Third, as most social media companies - Venmo (over)shares private information. However, you can turn off sharing it with friends but I don't know their third party sharing policy.

Get buying tips about Money Transfer delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Venmo is easy, fast, and convenient. Have used it countless times with no problems. The only issue I have is that the app does not allow you to stop payment. The recipient must send the funds back to you. What if you accidentally send to the wrong person and said person refuses to return the funds? I understand the transaction is an ACH so it's instantaneous, but would be a nice feature to have the option to cancel. Otherwise triple check your sending funds to the correct recipient beforehand.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I used this service to pay my friend for helping me out with odd jobs. It is easy to find a person's account with either their phone number, username or scanning their username. The funds are transferred fast and the person has the option to either pay a small fee to quickly transfer funds or pay no fee and wait a few days for their bank to transfer the funds. It’s my preferred service of money transfers. I feel like my information is protected and my money is safe. Highly recommend.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

It’s fast, easy and if you have money in it and your bank account does not. Bam! Transfer and you have it. It’s almost like a little savings account. It makes paying for things easy without having to have your bank card on you, or messing with cash. Myself It has made getting money to my daughter out of state A lot easier. Not to mention when she needs it fast, it there! And when she pays it back, no more snail mail waiting for the repayment.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Venmo is the WORST! They have no customer service, and they can’t fix even the smallest issue. I sent my boyfriend $800 from the wrong payment method accidentally (a bank that I rarely use). I noticed immediately and tried to fix the issue.. There was nothing I could do. I had to tell that bank to stop payment because I was getting fees every time they tried to get the money. Support said they’d eventually stop and I’d be able to put in a second payment method once they stop payment went through (which sucks because you can never use that bank again on Venmo once you’ve put in stop payment)..

I put $800 in my Venmo balance, and they took it from there. Problem solved. Or so I thought... then they FLAGGED THE WRONG BANK! My WF bank which is the primary bank, that had the money, that never had an issue.. can’t be used now. Customer service’s answer is “Sorry, we can’t help. Use PayPal” Venmo is the most common used way to send money.. How is it that they can have zero support. How is it that they can’t easily just look at the account, and fix this?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Updated on 11/27/2020: After my initial review stating Venmo deducted $600 from my bank account and never refunded it after my canceled transaction, I received an email. They stated it was my bank's fault that the money had never been accepted and that they returned funds on October 30th. Which according to the first email I received November 3rd, I was to expect my money back within 1-5 business days. If the person initially reviewing my complaint stated on the 3rd of November to expect my money by the 6th, how is it Venmo is telling me my money was back into my account the 30th, with a trace #, which according to my bank doesn't exist. Venmo stated in their email it MUST be an error on my bank's side, stating they see this happen often with "smaller banks". I am a Golden 1 member, which is one of the largest credit unions in CA. It's been 28 days without my $600.

Original Review: On October 30th, I attempted to transfer my significant other money for rent ($600). For some reason he did not get a notification stating I had initiated a transfer, and on my end, there was a red signal stating "incomplete transaction" and it asked if I wanted to cancel/take my money back. I clicked yes. There was no prompt other than "cancel transaction" after I canceled the transaction. I received an email that stated "you canceled. transaction and you're money will be returned within 30 days." And my money was no longer in my bank account nor was it in my Venmo, nor was it in my boyfriend's account. My money was gone.

I reached out to team Venmo, they responded quickly stating I should see my money back in my account in 5 business days. That was November 3rd, and I haven't heard from then since nor have I received my money back. I contacted my bank to see maybe it was a delay on their end and they said it is waiting on Venmo, and my bank can't help. It has been 15 business days and I have not heard back from them nor received my $600 back.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I have used Venmo several times now and they are fast, safe and secure. Very easy to use and user friendly. They have good customer care and will help you with any issues that may come up. Great service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Have had issues making transfer to one individual but others are working well. Quick and easy method to transfer to individuals and groups. Very easy to use even for a senior citizen. I’m sure there are features I’m not currently using but will be exploring them. I feel that my information is very secure.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Very handy app, for when I need to pay someone, or someone needs to pay me. Also some street vendors accept Venmo, so makes life easier. It is safe, and you have your money in your Venmo account within a few seconds. All the money I receive stays in my Venmo account, and I don't pay anything.

Venmo author review by ConsumerAffairs

Venmo, owned by PayPal, was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in New York. The service lets individuals easily pay one another for their part of a restaurant check, group-purchased gift, utility bill and more. It is popular among younger customers and college students.

• Facebook: New users have the option of signing up for a Venmo account with their Facebook login credentials, which makes signing

• App: Venmo’s app, available for iOS and Android devices, allows customers to send and receive money easily using their mobile device.

• Fees: Users who send money from their Venmo account, a linked bank account, a debit card or a prepaid gift card do not pay any transfer fee. Those who use a credit card must pay a three percent fee. There is no charge for paying for purchases in other mobile apps using a Venmo account. Receiving money is also free.

• Payment options: Venmo users can pay for several other services and products in third-party apps, like Gametime and Parking Panda.

• Request feature: When friends agree to pay a customer using Venmo, the customer can send a reminder with the click of a request button in the app. This feature removes the awkwardness from reminding others they owe the user money.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team