Wells Fargo Mortgage
1.62/5
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Wells Fargo Mortgage Reviews

1282 Wells Fargo Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 27, 2018

Due to a personal situation, I paid my property taxes (3) mos late. This is the first and only time I have ever paid ANY BILL LATE, MUCH LESS MY TAXES. By the time I paid the taxes, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage (WFHM) had already paid. They then MANDATED that I escrow taxes and doubled by monthly payment. I contacted them and pleaded that they not do this but they were steadfast in their stance. I do not understand this as I have been a homeowner for over 40 years and have never escrowed. My credit rating is among the top 2% in the country. I have never paid WFHM late. I owe nothing but my home and only owe 25% of its value at that.

I asked WFHM to release the escrow requirement and they have refused. WFHM told me they "HAD to require an escrow account", when in fact my contract states they "CAN" implement an escrow account. So why are they doing this? There is NO REASON other than they want to hold my money and make money for themselves. I am an excellent customer with excellent credit, no debt, and have only missed the tax deadline once in my entire life. What is their problem? Beware all - stay away from WFHM - they are crooked and don't care about their customers, only their $$.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I notified Wells Fargo that I lost my job and needed help to maintain good standings with my mortgage with them. They suggested I take out a Modification Loan. They assured me that the 5 year modification would keep me in good standings. So, I paid it off as scheduled and recently tried to secure a equity loan with various banks. They found a lien on my Mortgage that I was not aware of. Wells Fargo arranged this modification with HUD which I had no idea there was a $16,000 + lien on my home. Now I cannot find a bank who is willing to be in 3rd position. In meantime going crazy trying to figure out what this lien is since I did pay off Wells Fargo in full. What a mess and no one is willing to give me a straight answer... On my own to figure this one out. YIKES.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 21, 2018

We were Wells Fargo Mortgage customers for 12 years. My husband was laid off in 2016, and I called the Wells Fargo Mortgage customer service number to find out if they had any hardship type programs in place for their customers in our position. I was told they did not, but that if I needed more time to pay the mortgage each month, I had 40 days from the due date to pay it without being reported to the credit bureaus. I'm sure most people know that late payments are in fact reported past 30 days, not 40; however, I had no idea.

After checking my credit a year later, I discovered they in fact HAD notified the credit bureaus and I had months and months of late mortgage payments noted on my credit. We ALWAYS pay our bills on time. Needless to say I was furious. I called the Mortgage customer service and explained my extreme distaste for the severe misinformation I had been told. I was told to file a complaint, so they could look into it further. Several weeks went by and I received a letter stating there was no misinformation given, and they would not be retracting the negative filings to the credit bureaus.

Needless to say, our mortgage is no longer with Wells Fargo. We are so thankful to no longer be affiliated with a bank who could not care any less about its customers. If anyone out there is using Wells Fargo for any of their banking needs, I advise you find somewhere else to handle your money. Wells Fargo CANNOT be trusted.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was foreclosed on me though I have over $90k equity. I was told by a Wells Fargo rep that I was ahead a payment. I had been in this home since 2003. I didn't pay (shame on me for trusting a rep) and the next month was hit with a double payment. We could not afford that especially as my husband was finishing up radiation for prostate cancer. It snowballed. I owed $190,000 on a house that next door, the home sold for $340,000. Wells Fargo saw an opportunity to collect on my equity, make profit. They are unethical, unprofessional, uncaring and the ultimate in greed. Never, I repeat, never, do business with Wells Fargo Mortgage, Tell all your friends, I am spreading the word in ads that Wells Fargo practice tactics that get hardworking Americans out of their home and onto the streets. Spread the word!

Original review: June 8, 2018

IN 2007 we purchased a piece of property using a land to build loan. In 2011 we went to upgrade our loan to a mortgage through Wells Fargo, whom we had had our previous mortgage with. They said no problem, and started the process. Started the process in May 2011, everything was approved but then it wasn't. They sent an appraiser and home and property were appraised in the upper 6k figures. Everything was good, they said. Then the delays started. They disapproved the appraiser report, their appraiser, they said we needed a bigger down payment. We owned outright the $175,000 home we had put on the property, all we were mortgaging was the initial land purchase or 450,000 of which we had reduced to 365,000 with cash down payment.

We had paid cash for all the land improvements, sewer, electric and phone lines, well and tanks. But they wouldn't approve the appraisal value. First it was $25,000 then it was another $25,000 then 75,000 again and again we took money out of our 401k to get the loan approved, each time they said it was approved then it wasn't. Meanwhile our original 5 year loan was up and going into foreclosure. Finally after 8 months of reducing our retirement accounts to nothing our loan was finalized in January 2012. Relief and joy only till the next day when we went to file our taxes for 2011.

All the fees and loan charges were paid in 2011, not to mention the fines and interest on the 401k withdrawals, but we couldn't claim them till 2012, so our income from the withdrawals were taxed without being able to use the offsets for the fees charged by Wells Fargo. Now there are government subsidies and such for those that lost their house during this period. We hung onto our home protecting our investment while losing our retirement and there seems to be no reimbursement or anything for us, and our property value is still half the amount of cash invested into the property while our loan is still 211,000. Wells Fargo knew what was going on but only led us to believe that our loan would go through week after week, month after month for over 6 months. Is there any way to get justice for this???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I was looking to refinance my Home equity to a better rate. Their reps just could close the deal. They kept asking me to jump through hoops and it just kept getting harder and harder. Once I voiced my impatience and mentioned that I won’t interested in doing business with them anymore. They (Pedro) got nasty. Even tried keeping my deposit. I asked them to please be honest and fair. They at least did that. However, not a good experience.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Wells Fargo took over my mortgage. I don't like their business practices. I tried to refinance with them and it only lowered my payment $100. I'm not very happy with them!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Was going with Rocket Mortgage, who was terrific but switch to Wells Fargo. Huge mistake. They lied about time frame and cost us the house of our dreams. We even got extensions from seller but Wells Fargo personnel went on vacation and till this day has never given us an answer. I believe since we had a low interest rate lock in, they were waiting on us to cancel. Our credit rating was 820 plus. No problems on cash down! Not worth the saving on interest rate, I would pay more to use anyone but them.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have been attempting to refinance or sell/purchase a new home. I have been working with Loren and Paula **. They made themselves seem so different than the robotic idiots I have spoken to before at Wells Fargo but they are not any different. They have made me jump through hoops to get them information to make some transaction go thru but they will take weeks to get back to me and actually even tell me that they have other clients they are working with.

I am on kind of a timeline to get the transaction complete in order to make it work and they knew this from the first day we spoke. They still feel that it is okay to take weeks to get back to me and then when they do they ALWAYS tell me there is nothing they can do. This to me is unfair because they just wasted weeks of time that I could have been working with a different company that might have taken me more seriously. I think these people feel that I am a joke. That I am just someone trying to accomplish the out of reach, well they are wrong!!! And if they would take the time to see me as important as all the other higher income customers they would know. I feel that I have been treated so poorly that I will NEVER use Wells Fargo again and I will be sure that everyone I talk to knows what these two people and Wells Fargo have put me through over the last year.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have had mortgages with Chase, as well as another bank. Unfortunately I can't remember which one kept selling my mortgage at least 8 times and finally I couldn't get in touch with the final mortgage holder. Last time I used a mortgage company to find a mortgage and file my papers. Much better idea.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Been with Wells Fargo for a long time after a experiences a few different lenders. Helpful nature of Customer Service to the Loan Rep. to provide a smooth process. Always transparent on loan charges and no hidden fees.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have two mortgages that were originally with a different mortgage company. With no input from me, and against my wishes as I believe Wells Fargo is a dishonest company and lies to their customers. My mortgages were 'bought' by Wells Fargo and I now have to deal with Wells Fargo on my mortgages. I had no choice in this. All went well for the past 10 months as I paid my mortgages via an online transfer from a checking account with another bank. All of a sudden, Wells Fargo 'lost' the account information from my other bank. I had to re-input the account information in order to make my most-recent mortgage payments. Somehow, Wells Fargo was unable to process these payments, even though my mortgage accounts with Wells Fargo showed the payments as being made (and balances reduced accordingly).

I called and spoke to a Wells Fargo supervisor - who repeatedly lied to me about the problem that Wells Fargo initiated and caused. I believe they had a system problem (again!!) and are trying to cover it up (and not being truthful about it). Who knows what damage their incompetence will cause me down the line. I fear that the mortgage payments I made recently will now be deemed 'late' by Wells Fargo in order to charge me a late fee and/or to damage my credit report. NOBODY should EVER do business with this company. They are dishonest, incompetent, not forthcoming, and DO NOT give a darn about their customers. Their online banking systems are archaic and fail repeatedly. I don't know of any other banks that has the problems/issues that Wells Fargo has.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I've had my mortgage with them since 2003. I refinanced in 2010 to a 15 year loan and the process was quick and easy. I have no complaints or issues and would take out a future loan with them if needed.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I secured a loan from Wells Fargo in 2011 with a rate of 5.3%. As interest rates dropped, I attempted to call them and renegotiate my loan. They were rude. No one wanted to speak with me about refinancing. In fact, they shut me down quickly. Shame on me for letting it go - I'm still with them at the 5.3% rate.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They couldn't wait to get rid of my mortgage - they sold it to a subprime lender who refused to respond to inquiries, (not that Wells Fargo did either) and when the subprime started having problems they "lost" the paperwork and had to re-do it twice - both times with higher interest rates despite an agreement with Wells Fargo originally on a fixed payment - it jumped all over the place later. I would NEVER again have anything to do with Wells Fargo.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The right hand didn’t know what the left was doing or needed, constantly asking for paperwork they had already or asking for paperwork they did not need at all. They were having us fill out paperwork 2, 3, or 4 times. Lots of wasted time.

Original review: May 24, 2018

It's all about profit and how money they can squeeze out of every customer. I was grandfathered into my no-fee checking acct with bank they took over - kept trying to charge me fees. Have very well-trained employees to try and soothe irate customers.

Original review: May 22, 2018

The last mortgage I received had horrible rates and the loan agent made me feel very pressured and was not honest about the outcome. Later, during the recession, I was able to get a 12 month only modification. As a result, I am not able to refinance to lower my ridiculously high interest rate.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We originally were going with another mortgage company. That company pulled out on us 12 hours before our closing. They used the excuse that we had a historical cemetery on our property. This was the first question I asked the mortgage company and they said no problem. Look for my rating on them. Wells Fargo came to our rescue. They had no problem with the cemetery and we got a better interest rate. They did not have us jumping through hoops. They never lost any information we sent to them. I have purchased and sold 5 different properties in my lifetime and I know exactly what the mortgage company needs. I had the best and quickest closing with Wells Fargo. I give them my top rating. Go with them. You will be pleased.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Wells Fargo will screw you over every chance they get, they will give you a payment plan when needed then 6 months later say it was something else. Then foreclose on you. Illegally. A lot of people lost their homes by this strategy of theirs. Don't be the next one to get caught in their web.

Original review: May 18, 2018

So back in 2011 I sold my home in a short sale, Wells owned the mortgage. They reported it to all 3 big CRA and it clearly showed the default months and that the mortgage had been paid in full but for less than what was owed. Keep in mind this was in 2011. Yesterday I got a letter from them at my new HOME address (not forwarded) that states they never reported it and will be submitting the info again to the 3 big CRA. What on earth are they doing? Clearly they cannot do that two times can they? It seems to me that this is against the law somehow.

I can only hope that if they really do this as the letter states that the 3 CRA see it for what it is something that is so old and that it has been posted one time already and they will not post it again. It had fallen off last year and because of that I was able to buy my new home. I am livid at this point and currently seeking attorney input. If anyone here has had this happen to them please reach out on this site and let me know ASAP.

Back in 2005 I filed a bankruptcy and then the short sale in 2011 my credit was a hot mess. I watch my credit report so closely and with due diligence I have worked my way back from the hot mess to my score now well over 725. I just bought a new home... Why are they trying to ruin my life again. Why are they even harassing me with this? When I moved I shredded all the old credit reports I had thinking, "Oh everything is good ". Well clearly Wells is in so much trouble with the law right now. They are trying to ruin others lives. No way to get archived reports from those 3 big CRA. I just don't know what to do now. I was so happy with my new life until yesterday... I HATE them. Help.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Wells Fargo dealt with me for about 3 years assuring me that I was eligible for a loan modification. I got further behind while they continuously changed the home preservation agent assigned to my case. I was never advised to make loan payments during these extended negotiations. I got approved twice by “Keep Your Home California” and Wells Fargo refused to accept their offer of payment on my behalf.

It was not until the delinquency on my mortgage account got unmanageable (including interest) DID Wells Fargo get busy trying to "foreclose" on my home. Wells Fargo has exercised every deceptive scheme known in the industry to try to steal my property. I had to file bankruptcy to stave them off. They still have not ceased or desisted their harassment and intimidation of me. I pay my monthly mortgage bill each month at one of its banking facilities and I always discuss the required payment amount with the teller. The teller always asked where DID I want the excess amount of the payment credited. This went on until I had $6000 in surplus on my mortgage statement. I then stopped paying the excess over what I was told the monthly billing was by their representative.

I am now being told that I am $6000, plus behind, because the teller is allegedly working off data from 2015 (3 years ago). I have submitted copies of all payments to my attorney and a copy of the online payment history Wells Fargo generates and provides me. I never requested a mortgage from Wells Fargo. Like so many others my loan was sold to them by World Savings/Wachovia.

I certainly would strenuously discourage anyone from initiating a mortgage loan with Wells Fargo. This lender makes life extremely difficult here on earth. Many of my senior friends have been forced to sell their homes of many years to avoid foreclosure sales prompted by this predatory lender. I understand that I have been forced into a new 30 year mortgage with an interest rate of 6.4 per cent. I had half this period left to pay on the loan Wells Fargo purchased with a much lower interest rate.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Wells Fargo home equity: Where do I begin. So much fraud and cover up. Everyone we turned to they lied. Gave false financial information so we could not get. This was their way of stopping and keeping hidden what they did to a Senior citizen. Most disturbing when two of their employees high fived and celebrated the loss of my home while some nut job ran and you lost. It was so sickening. I sat on a park bench and sob. They told Senator Booker 2 men went over reason for not getting modification. These animals never uttered one word. I get a letter only one man present and he went over reason for denial. This never happened. THEY HIGH FIVED THEMSELVES. CELEBRATED THE LOSS OF MY HOME.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have called Wells Fargo today after mailing my mortgage payment on August 30. Two weeks later it still was not posted. I spoke with the representative today Tabitha who recorded the conversation and they said that when it goes to the post office the post office is supposed to scan the code on the envelope. If they don’t scan it in the mortgage company has no verification that you sent the payment even though they enclose a self-addressed envelope for you to send your payment. Made no sense. She told me that she spoke with her supervisor and the supervisor said to contact the post office to make sure that they were scanning the envelope. How was it possible that I can do that when I don’t mail the mortgage payment right from the post office.

I told them it’s not my Responsibility to monitor the post office for Wells Fargo. What they were saying made absolutely no sense to me. This is the second time this has happened and I have to end up putting a stop payment on the check incurring a $35 fee and then re-send in my payment via email. To me this is a deceitful practice. When I mail my payment in a self closed envelope with the PO Box it should be mailed directly to them and have nothing to do with the post office scanning in the envelope to notified Wells Fargo that I mailed my payment. I am fortunate that I get to check my balance in my bank account regularly to check to see if my checks have cleared. If not I would be put into default for late payments and affect my credit report.

To me this is a very deceptive practice in one that needs to be addressed with Wells Fargo. I would look to be change my mortgage broker company. Shame on them. The supervisor then said that if there was a problem with that then I should be bank of my payments online. Perhaps I don’t want to make my payments online. They also said that they haven’t received a skiing in the last year from the post office that I’ve been sending in my payments although they have all the payments posted so it didn’t make sense at all. Beware.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have two loans, one my home and a rental which originated with World Savings, then was sold to Wachovia, then Wells Fargo. I was making payments (on time) to Wachovia when Wells Fargo said the payments were not found and I was going into foreclosure. I made up the payments but WF reported on my credit so it will show late payments for years plus the mortgages are duplicated on my credit report. I have contacted the credit bureaus but they say Wells Fargo has to fix it.

No matter how many phone calls I make to get this cleared up or why my terms of my original loans are no longer valid, I get a dropped call with that person not calling back or the call is transferred to a supervisor who also "drops" the call. Yesterday I called the WFHM 9 times. Each time I actually got though the telephone tree I would end up with a different person. I would ask, "Please take my phone number and call me back if this call gets disconnected" so I don't have to start with a new person. Of course that didn't work.

I finally went to the local WF branch and they sent me to another location in town. I met with a WFHM advisor who said my loan was past the 15 year time frame for only adjusting annually so it would be adjusting up every month. I asked what happened to the original mortgage called "pick a Pay" where I had the option to pay for 15 year, a 30 year, or interest only. He called someone who was supposed to call back. I waited 45 minutes in his office for that call. In chatting while waiting he suggested I refinance. I told him I would not qualify since I am now retired with lower income and then he asked if I was "sitting on a pile of money". I told him I have about $300.00 in the WF checking.

Finally the phone call came only to say the call had been directed to another person (supervisor) and that person was not going to call back right away. The guy in the office said I should leave and he would call me the next day at 2:30pm to give me the information. Of course he didn't call even to say they were still researching so I'll need to start the process all over again next week. In the meantime, my mortgage rates will escalate from 3.125 to 12% tied to LIBOR while WF is (supposedly) reviewing my original loans to see why the terms were changed by WF.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My 2nd home loan of several yrs was bought by Wells Fargo. Each yr I would get notice from Wells that they didn't get proof of insurance & adding. I contacted my insurance & they were listed. Faxed to them & sent copy. Still notice adding to loan, finally many phone calls, faxing in & mailing several times able to get notices stopped & confirm they have the proof. This went on for yrs - each yr I would fax, mail & attach to payment coupon, plus insurance sending and I still got notice of no proof. Just got used to them being ignorant.

Then... When Wells 1st bought my 2nd home loan my ex-husband was listed on statements. I called them asking why is my ex back on my statements as my 2004 divorce court order he is removed & I am making the payments. I sent the other bank all that was needed to remove him & they did. Wells told me they don't recognize court orders so he is on contract so on the loan but they will note the account that the loan is my responsibility & I am paying the loan. Then when my ex filed bankrupt in 2016 as Wells Fargo was reporting my loan on his credit report so he included in his bankrupt. Wells then turned off my direct payments & refuse my payments because of my ex, Wells said if I want to keep the loan & pay on it I had to sign reconcile after bankrupt forms & they will be changing my interest rate to some crazy amount that would make my payment so high I would not be able to afford.

I was not the one that filed bankrupt so why should I be penalized & he was suppose to be removed. I quickly found mortgage company to refinance to get away from Wells Fargo. Bad news my refinanced loan recently was sold & bought by Wells Fargo again- I am so stressed as I have already had issue with setting up direct payments, took me 3 months to get it done. Stay away from Wells Fargo.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I was told from Wells Fargo I could skip payments due to disaster relief from hurricane Harvey. So 3 months went by then 4 then they tell me that I will need a inspector to be qualified for trial period, so now I'm 5 months behind and they are forcing me into signing a 30 year mortgage. (I only have 12 years to pay off) So I had to refinance thru my credit union. Luckily I had equity and they refinanced it after I told them my situation with Wells Fargo. So if anybody wants to come together to make them pay for our STRESS, ANGUISH, and TIME to sue them let's get a team going with a lawyer to make them pay!!! $$$. They're conniving and fraudulent. Contact me if you are in one already or if you would like to join in to get something going. I think we have a huge case for misleading us customers wrong info, they should be in the news or in the media for what they did. I'm in Houston Texas.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My home was damaged by hurricane Harvey back in September of 2017. My insurance company said the damage was below my deductible (yeah right). Wells Fargo told me I could hold off paying 3 months worth of payment to help fix my house and they would put it at the end of the contract. They Lied!!! I called them to find out why they have not done what they said and they told me I need to pay $2,300.00 now or they are going to foreclose on my home. They are liars, criminals and all around crappy people. They are not willing to help do what was promised to me. They are trying to get me to fill out some paperwork to trap me in another contract.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have been a customer of Wells Fargo bank for about 6 years. I have an equity line of credit. I have never been late or missed one payment for the entire period. They had permission to take out the payment plus an additional $150.00 each month. The total amount deducted was approximately $425.00. On April 04, 2018 they took out $1026.29 from my checking account. I immediately called their 800 number and was told that they had no idea as to why this happened. They told me that they will research it and I should have an answer in 2 to 3 days. I told them that was not acceptable and demanded that I be contacted within 24 hours. The Wells Fargo representative told me that it this issue would be immediately placed on the top of the researcher's priority list.

On April 6th, I still had not been contacted. I called Wells Fargo back and they forwarded me to their "Executive" department. I spoke to Nick ** for almost an hour. He said that he was also puzzled as to why this happened. However, he failed to remedy the problem. He said that this will be researched and he would call me back ASAP.

On April 10th, I called Wells Fargo back and talked again to Mr. **. Mr. ** told me (again) that he didn't know why this had happened but they are continuing to research it. I told him that this was unacceptable. I have other bills to pay with money that was ILLEGALLY removed from my bank account. He must have told me ten times, "I cannot tell you why this happened". I found this wording extremely suspicious. I asked him, "Does that mean that you don't know, or does it mean that somebody told you that you can’t tell me?" He repeated the phrase again and again. "I can’t tell you why."

I contacted another Wells Fargo representative on April 17th. She gave me the same answer that Nick ** gave me. "It was being researched and it normally takes five to seven days". I told her that it had already been 13 days. She put me through to Nick **. I was put on hold for several minutes and I got tired of waiting so I hung up the phone. It is now April 18th and I still have no answer.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My mortgage loan was sold to Wells Fargo. I NEVER voluntarily do business with a fraudulent company. I have been diligent in keeping a record of every communication and payment. Generally certified mail and to today the extra time and effort has paid off. I get a letter putting my home into foreclosure IN SPITE of my clear track record of on time payments. Due to an "error" for which they are now very sorry they had not applied my funds correctly.

Apart from the high handed method Wells Fargo uses when ripping off its customers one has to spend hours on the phone and write letters in order for them to do the job they are supposed to do. Take my money and apply it correctly!!! Wells Fargo is a corrupt organization and for all of the flowery language they DO NOT provide "exceptional" service. They actively seek to ruin your credit rating, take your money, apply it incorrectly and ignore their customers unless you come at them with a sledgehammer.

Wells Fargo Mortgage Company Information