Wells Fargo Mortgage
1.75/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Wells Fargo Mortgage Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1355 Wells Fargo Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Wells Fargo will just deactivate cards without your prior knowledge or authorization and then not reactivate them. This leave you no access to your money when you're traveling overseas with no alternative than to fly back to your home for the new card they sent you or wait days in one location overseas for them to sent a new card there. This is the final of many issue I've had with this bank. DO NOT BANK WITH THEM, THEY ARE CRIMINALS!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

If you get behind on your Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, they will disable your ability to pay using their online account center. It doesn't matter whether you've had no NSFs, payment issues in the past or any other problem. If you fall behind, you will need to resort to alternative methods to get money to them. Forcing you into more difficult methods of payment should be illegal.

I have had a credit card in the past that actually gave MORE, FREE options to pay instantly if you happened to come close to your due date. It is obvious that Wells Fargo has no interest in actually resolving accounts, and simply is still trying to summarily begin foreclosure or get as close to foreclosure as possible by placing roadblocks in the way of customers. Simple fact of the matter is, I'd rather be on their website, submitting a payment right now, rather than here. Instead the message I have is: "...Not currently eligible for online payments. Possible reasons include overdue payments..." Seriously, take my money!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I bought my home 7 years ago. After losing 2 jobs in the same year, I applied for a loan modification. I had some income when Wells Fargo put me on a trial payment program for four months. They strung me along for over a year. My arrears was approximately $30000. I found a job paying significantly less than I was used to making. Wells Fargo denied the modification. I filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy. I applied again for the modification. I was ordered to pay an additional thousand dollars through bankruptcy. This time the modification was approved. I was never offered the HARP or HAMP programs to get an affordable mortgage through Wells Fargo.

Fast forward 3 years later my mortgage has gone from a 224000 mortgage to a 278000 mortgage. I can't just walk away as easy as people think. This is a VA loan and with bad credit where will my son and I live? I've asked for help and no one can help me. My monthly payment has jumped from 1300 to 2013 per month. Wells Fargo has held onto my mortgage since I've been in the home.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Wells Fargo mortgage consultant, Rich ** was not helpful at all. We told him to ask us before ordering appraisal in written and him, Senia ** and, Joy ** confirmed it in writing. But he went ahead with the appraisal without asking me. He said I verbally agreed to it which I DID NOT. Another instance - Wells Fargo rejected my 7 year ARM and offered me 30-year mortgage which I said no to and never wanted it in the first place. That's fine but I said NO to Rich and he mentioned in the application that I said YES. All it is verbal. I gave him reasons too that why I want to go for 7 year ARM and he agreed to it but in the application, he mentioned that I said yes to 30-year fixed mortgage. I am going to close my Wells Fargo Checkings account and not going to recommend any of my friends to do business with Wells Fargo.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I made an extra month mortgage payment online but it still showed that my next payment was due again on the first the following month instead of in two month. I called the mortgage department to see what happened just to get the runaround. I'd talk to one person tell them what was going on just to be transferred to someone else and explain it all over again to that person just to be told that they'd have to transferred me to someone else go over it all over again. Finally after the 5th person and 40 min later I was told that I'd need to talk to my credit union and get it worked out with them!!!

Ok so I called the credit union and they said I'd need to come down and handle it in person. Ok so I drove 30 min to the credit union just to be told that I have to wait a few day till it processes so they can TRY and do something about it! I have never dealt with any company that is more scattered brained all over the place and with such horrible customer service. If I could avoid this company I would but they have my mortgage so I'm stuck with them for the next 18 yrs. Please take my advice and the numerous other customers that have wrote reviews and don't do business with them if you can help it...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We were put into a mortgage at 10.8% interest in 2008 because we were behind on some bills. We were told that if we kept it current for 6 months they would refinance at a lower rate. We did. They wouldn't. This mortgage has haunted us for 10 years. We have fought to get help every way we could imagine. The mortgage assistance department actually offered us a modification at one point that raised our monthly payment. We have been lied to repeatedly during this process. I have reviewed their notes in our file and found the contradictions in what they told us detailed in writing. I have never encountered a more unethical company. Trust me - they have not changed their ways. Can't understand how they continue to get away with this...

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

First the economy and then the 3rd and final life changing event! Husband fell off roof and while doing x-rays the Doctors not only found a broken back, they found lesions on his kidneys!! Couldn’t fix his back but they had to do a partial nephrectomy! Hardship loans!! Bunk!!! Loan modification attempts probably ate up at least 4 or 5 years of our lives!! The famous 6 months to a year of paperwork each time! Then you’re told your income does not substantiate a loan! Hardships must only be for financially fit people? Here’s the real picture! They determine your income at the beginning process of the loan so they already know they’re not going to help you, they just string you along for months! Now the reason you’re applying for this modification is because you need to lower your mortgage payment to help you meet your “hardship” needs!

So while you are already devastated by your life altering hardships they consume so much of your time that you are mentally exhausted from trying to get help to save your home-your place of true comfort while your hearts are broken!! They sold our loan and we have a new servicer starting December 4th 2018!! Reviews on this company are super disheartening. They researched our complaints for about 4 months! Told us they absolved themselves of guilt with regards to our situation! Guess they forgot about attorney fees to save our home while my husband was trying to recover from his surgery!! They did also repossess his vehicle while he was laying there sawed in half with a crushed back and crushed arm! I understand that business is business but when there is a real human tragedy or shall I say hardship rules need to go out the door! Or at least stop fooling the customers with fake hope!!

We have never recovered from all the trauma, it was touch and go mentally for a long time! We missed so much by being consumed with the lies they told!! Where’s the help for all the people they led on even though they knew income guidelines were not met in the beginning of each modification you applied for?? Where is the justification for all of us for the mental trauma?? Never had too much!! Survival mode is something we used to! But they sent us to the edge far too many times! It’s not even so much about being denied as it is for the fact that they traumatized so very many people. Should decent people because of unfortunate and life altering events be left with no real choices? Help all people to regain their ability to feel they are worthy!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I’m a single mom disabled bankrupt going homeless. For yrs I begged pleaded cried faxed papers. I couldn’t afford to lower rate. Finally they did but increased the loan 15 yrs for profit greed abuse of power ego and guy worker bald. Fake news tells ya their owner does right by customers. BS! They leave single moms who are too sick and disabled for streets and their kids to die inhumanely. They never gave me my abstract of title or land survey and they still refuse. They said due to legal reasons they have stolen house for profit. They only leave you homeless as only option. God will strip them of riches at appointed moment for what they do to the least of us. RUN!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I received a letter in the mail today 12/01/18 stating that Wells Fargo sold my mortgage to Fay Servicing. I was not given any notice as to why or any chance to stay with Wells Fargo. I did my research with Fay Servicing and they have a D-minus rating with Bank Rate. ORG, and the BBB Better Business Bureau has 101 complaints this year.

Why did Wells Fargo sell my account when I make my payments monthly. Yes sometimes they are later in the month, but I am not behind in my payments! Why would Wells Fargo SELL my account to a company so horrible as Fay Servicing??? I called Wells Fargo and spoke with a woman who was rude, and all she would tell me is that it has been sold to Fay Servicing and it is a common practice. I asked her again why and she would only tell me the same thing! I got no letter from Wells Fargo to tell me this, nor did I receive any notification of the sale or reason as to why! I don't see how a customer of 12 years... yes, 12 years would be treated so horribly!!!

I am a single father raising my 2 daughters by myself trying to make ends meet on one paycheck and still making my monthly mortgage payment along with other bills. This company is HORRIBLE for mortgages and not to mention my interest rate! Stay away, far away!!! They practice unfair methods and this was devious and underhanded!! You have been warned!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I requested my MIP to be removed. Paid $200, no problem. The BPO came back at $221,000. The neighborhood I live in has spec homes so there are no differences except for lot sizes. Literally. They utilized 2 smaller floor plans to average to the 221. I disputed it and provided 3 exact replicas of my house at $225,000. They acknowledged my comparables and then just told me they were sticking with the $221,000 review with no explanation other than telling me they had other information (without actually providing it). Mind you my lot is bigger than any of the $225,000 comps. They are currently arguing with me over $4000 when they have never seen my property or provided a reason other than basically, “because we said so.”

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I am a Realtor with 13+ yrs experience. Just closed listing where closing date was pushed out 3 times because of Wells' inability to get things done. One dept doesn't know what the other is doing. Do not use them!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We are in a Chapter 13 and we have had two attorneys "leave the business" of bankruptcy. Our second attorney told us to apply for a loan modification through Wells Fargo and said based on our circumstances we should qualify. We started 12/26/17. Our first point of contact lasted two months, then we got assigned to another point of contact. While they were considering us for a modification Wells Fargo sent their legal team after us. We were then forced to pay an extra $952 a month on top of our $1904 mortgage payment.

As soon as we agreed and paid our $1904 and $952 we were then sent a letter stating our mortgage was in arrears by $4400 and if we didn't pay in one month our payment would go up $400. So now we were expected to pay $1904, $952, $400. We were "denied" due to guidelines of bankruptcy (they never asked Trustee to review anything.). We were also denied for "affordability" AFTER I went from being a stay at home mom to owning my own company to make more money to prove we can handle the mortgage payment. THEN we had a HUD counselor help us.

We were again chased by their legal team and also appeal because their math was NOT correct on their denial. They responded with one line stating still denied. We are now faced with less than 30 days to sell our house, no real answers. By basic math their loan modification should be APPROVED. We have 80k equity in home and now scrambling to sell because of this. My father is 75 and disabled and diabetic, he is being forced to move into one bedroom and has cried feeling he will be homeless because of this.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I applied for a home mortgage with Wells Fargo. I had perfect credit and was borrowing a tiny fraction of the purchase price of the home. My mortgage broker with Wells Fargo, Michael **, was the most incompetent and unethical person on earth. He royally messed up my application, forgetting to add key elements of the mortgage (like the fact that the new home was going to be under construction for 4 months) and then forced me to use his friend who was an insurance broker to write the insurance policy. He designated the wrong type of policy, resulting in the insurance being cancelled, and then refused to stand behind me when the policy was cancelled. These guys are bozos, run far and run fast from Wells Fargo.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I live in Baton Rouge, LA. The area in which I lived flooded in mid-August 2016, most of the homes getting 4 feet of water or more. After being put through hell with the flood insurer to get funds so that I could start repairs, the next, and worst, circle of hell was dealing with Wells Fargo. The insurance company, after many calls from me, finally released my repair funds... to Wells Fargo, who swooped in and took charge of it. Even though it was not THEIR MONEY, but money I was entitled to for having paid flood insurance premiums for over a decade, I thought, "OK, fair enough... They have a financial stake in the house."

Imagine my frustration at having Wells Fargo sit on my money for another month, so that I could not even get the contractor started on the house until very late October. It took phone calls, visits to the local office, mediation with a representative, and my threatening to sue them to get them to release any of my insurance money in order to get started on home repairs. They cut a check for half the money and then told me they would release half of the remaining half when I passed a 50% completion inspection. Fine, no problem.

But then when it came time for them to release the balance of my money after the 100% inspection, they gave me more problems. Starting with sending out an "inspector" one month who found fault, and then sending out a second one about a month later, who said that the first inspector was completely wrong in her inspection and that I should have already been given the money. Bottom line: Wells Fargo and its representatives are indifferent to tragedy, dishonest, avaricious, and uncooperative. I vehemently suggest not doing any sort of business with that organization. It deserves to burn, and the incompetents running it should all die in a house fire.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

For the last year I have called the bank on a weekly basis trying to get some alternative financing on my primary - home equity line. The line matured June 2017 it tripled. I asked for help, filled out numerous applications, called at least 24 times, long laundry list of reps I spoke with. Yet no solution. In fact I googled the last rep to find out she sold vacuums at Electrox (ok great job but does she know mortgages or is creative in anyway?). Obviously NOT as she continues to read off the script. Never answered one single question! They definitely don't know the definition of Customer Service. I then physically went into a branch where I live to make eye contact with someone. While making the payment I was told my account number no longer existed. I was stunned!

I remained at the branch for over an hour talking to more reps on the line when I was told they would not accept my payment as they were starting foreclosure proceedings. Since when don't you accept a payment. Didn't know Wells Fargo wants to own Real Estate now. WTF! So the snowball starts again. Ding – Ding. This is the worst bank ever. The banking commission needs to hear what is being done to the consumer. Something is not right here!!! We need to get together and make this public knowledge!!! Maybe then they will get the message loud and clear.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I chose Wells Fargo to handle my home mortgage because I have banked with them for close to 50 years & have bought/sold 2 other homes through them in the past without a problem. This time has been ridiculously difficult. There were many delays, poor communication, & poor follow through. I have had to call & email constantly to ensure that things were being handled in a timely manner & that I was being informed. I would not recommend using Wells Fargo for a home mortgage.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had a loan secured with another bank, which was going to allow me to pay half my mortgage on the 15th and the other half on the 1st, this technique, allows the borrower to pay less interest over the life of the loan. When I went into Wells Fargo branch in Redondo Beach, CA and worked with Ryan ** and Anita to do the wire transfer to open escrow, they were delighted to see if they could obtain the loan business. They offered me a lower interest rate than I had with my current lender.

The first question I asked was could I make two payments a month in order to pay less interest over time and have that applied when the payment was made; I didn't realize that the time, but what happened was Ryan did answer that, yes, I could pay less interest over the life of the loan by doing biweekly payments and this would result in an additional payment each year. I assumed this to mean the payments would be applied when I made them and in order to do this, I would also need to make an additional payment each year, because of how the calendar works out.

After I closed and received my amortization schedule from the bank, I saw and read that Wells Fargo would be doing the biweekly payments, but they "hold" the first payment until the end of the month and apply the whole payment at the end of the month and the real and only interest savings comes from the extra payment per year that hits all principal. This was deceivingly misleading and not what I understand that I was getting into. This whole biweekly set up is deceiving misleading all around. This is unethical, and I would not recommend Wells Fargo anymore; which is unfortunate as I loved my banking relationship with them prior to being deceived.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was reluctant to go through with using my VA benefits with Wells Fargo to purchase my home due to two previous experiences with auto loans where the service was a huge pain to handle. But my realtor assured me he hadn't heard anything bad. Fine. There I was, 3 years into the loan with no issues and hurricane Matthew hit us and caused us some issues and damage to the house. I called and said I needed help because the hurricane had set us back with not being able to work and the damage to the house. The rep assured me they would do all they could and assured me that it wouldn't effect my credit. Liar. He was simply buying time to assist in making the matter worse, and then when I brought this to the attention of a different rep, they said they would review and they did then they said they would send the matter to their underwriters to determine the best route for me and they'd call or email me to discuss my options.

A month after that I get the foreclosure notice. I guess they figured they'd just make the choice for me and I don't deserve a say for my time in service and the privilege I gave them to have my loan. So, now they're just going to take my house from me and play dumb. Classy. And typical. This bank is all around garbage and it's mind-blowing that they're still allowed to stay in business. I have read a few other reviews giving the same details as my situation, so I'm not the only Vet they're taking for a ride. Take your money and business elsewhere to a more reputable bank.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I am a Real Estate broker, representing the seller in a real estate transaction. The buyer elected to use Wells Fargo for their financing. After the contract was submitted to Wells Fargo so that they could begin working on the file, the file sat in limbo (from 7/21 - 8/13) before being sent to processing. The buyer's agent and myself both tried to contact the bank on multiple occasions to get an update, only to NEVER get a response. Finally on 8/7, I received an email from the loan officer stating that she had been out of the office for health reasons. I never got an out of office message and apparently there was no back-up taking care of her workload while she was out.

After an additional week of no updates, I reached out to the branch manager and was told that they would escalate the file, but that they couldn't really talk to me about any details, as I wasn't the buyer or their agent. Keep in mind, I was not asking for any specific NPI or buyer details, but only enough information to pass along and set an expectation for my seller. My seller was counting on this deal to close on time, as she was taking a new job in Texas and was originally supposed to be there on 8/27. The whole reason she was selling her home to begin with.

Finally, Wells Fargo sent the documentation to the closing attorney, stating that closing would be set for 9/13. When pressed to try and escalate, Wells Fargo told the closing attorney that they could possibly move closing up to 9/10, but he never heard back from them. On 9/12, all of the sudden each of the signatures that Wells Fargo had on the documents we provided all "disappeared", at which point they requested the documents be re-signed. After sending and re-sending the same exact documents, FINALLY, they saw the signatures.

At 9:15 pm the night before closing, the loan officer sent out an email stating that there had been a "miscommunication" and that the file was still in underwriting, pending approval. Closing could not occur the next day and it would have to be sometime the following week. At this point, I escalated to the Office of the President at Wells Fargo and received a call from Nicholas **. Apparently an executive "Resolution Specialist". After being presented with the evidence showing that Wells Fargo had dropped the ball, he essentially washed his hands of the situation and was sure to tell me that, while unfortunate, Wells Fargo doesn't really care about the impact to the seller because they are not Wells Fargo's customer.

He also went as far as stating that he felt Wells Fargo did a great job because all they could see is that the application was started on 8/13 and that they were able to get it clear to close in 30 days. He refused to acknowledge the PROOF I sent him showing that the application was completed on 7/7/18 and that the contract was sent to the LO on 7/21.

He did volunteer to coordinate a closing for my seller, as she could no longer wait to start her new job in Texas. He stated that it would be easy for them to set up a closing for her when she got there. I told him that we would need for him to take care of coordinating her closing, but I had to send two additional emails and leave an additional voicemail for him because he did not respond. When Nicholas finally DID call me back, he volunteered no help at all, simply stating "Wells Fargo only needs one document from your seller and the closing attorney already has it. Try to get it worked out with them."

If you are a home buyer, steer clear. If you are a home seller, I urge that you CAREFULLY consider any offers you receive from a buyer who wishes to use Wells Fargo. If you are a real estate broker, I suggest you consider recommending one of your other preferred lenders. After a 14 year career in mortgage and banking and over 45 Real Estate transactions as a RE Broker over the past 2.5 years, this was BY FAR the worst transaction I have ever been a part of. The way Wells Fargo handled it was embarrassingly poor.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Wells Fargo gave me false information when I paid my home insurance IN FULL for 2018. I was told an Escrow Account would not be set up. I have NEVER had an Escrow Account on any mortgage loan in my life. (I am 65 and have financed several home loans paying insurance and taxes separately.) After speaking to 19 (NINETEEN) associates they agreed that I was told incorrect information; however, they still charged me a monthly insurance fee for 2018 which was PAID in FULL.

I have just PAID off the Mortgage loan in FULL and awaiting my refund, not only on the Insurance policy I paid up front which has 3 1/2 months remaining, but also the monthly fee they have been charging me since March for 2019. I will NEVER do business with Wells Fargo again. I am aware they have had at least 3 major government fines and sincerely hope they are put out of business entirely!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Wells Fargo gave us the run around with refinancing paperwork again like I hear everyone complain about. Weeks turned into months and have nothing but anger for putting us so far behind in our mortgage that they foreclosed on us! They put us in this situation and now wouldn't help and denied us! My 79 year old father who was a navy veteran lived in his house for 28 years has been thrown out of his home! Really what is wrong with this picture!

Since we moved out of our home of 28 years and rented a place for well more than we could afford! Just a few ago we had found out that Wells Fargo sat on our old house for over a year and never winterized it and all pipes burst in the home! They gutted out the whole inside and now find out that they fixed and rebuilt the inside of the house so they could DONATE the our home to a veteran in Virginia! Seriously! They throw a veteran that had this home for 28 yrs out so they can hand it over to another veteran from out of the state? This is so not done yet! How can they do this to anyone let alone a veteran! They should be ashamed of themselves! But then again they don't care!

Since this whole ordeal my dad has passed away and now I and my sisters are here and we are not going away from this until we seek a resolution for what this company put my parents and the rest of us through! So let the games begin! So for all you people out there that have Wells Fargo run run far far away in a totally different direction from them. They will screw you over and not even flinch! SO BE AWARE AND STAY AWAY! How dare this happen to a Veteran or anyone else for that matter! WHY ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

While I was going through a divorce I lost my home (2013) to Wells Fargo. The divorce court judge wrote a letter to them but of course they didn't pay attention to it. I was trying to get a loan that was fixed because the one I had kept on going up. They just sold my house during negotiations. They couldn't give me an answer because according to them it was not in their hands or didn't know why... I was practically homeless with my kids... then I almost lose my car to them too. I paid thousands in late fees and a very high interest.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

All companies which want to win clients try to provide better service and think responsibly. But Wells Fargo does not want to turn their face towards the clients. My mortgage was transferred to Wells Fargo about a year ago. I was not asked for that. Companies made decision themselves. Now I cannot even receive paperless billing with Wells Fargo, which I consider convenient and more secure. I have been asking about it several times, but they don't have a plan to implement for the account (2-3 times since account was opened). They like to send paper copy each month instead, making inconvenience for me and not thinking about our environment and trees.

I don't even have a possibility to send a complain online to their management! Internet is not to be used much and convenient by Wells Fargo customers. I can live with it, at least they are doing their banking work withdrawing my money every month for the mortgage. But I'm completely upset. Would not recommend anyone to use Wells Fargo as so non customer-oriented company in a modern internet world. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

They make it too hard to get financial help when you need it. I pay all my bills on time and yet I get turned down when I apply for help. I have had accounts with some of these places before. They know my payment history yet they still turn me down. Yet people come here to this country and get handed everything for free even businesses. I worked and paid taxes all my life and now I'm just trying to keep a roof on my head and I can't even get help lowering my mortgage payment. I'm not too happy.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My first mortgage was with Wells Fargo. Within the 1st year, my bill spiked 3X's the amount & I called to find out why - I was not given a straight answer. I told them I would have a very difficult time making the payments, & the woman on the other end told me to "pray on it". I vowed to never again do business with Wells Fargo in any capacity.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Our banker in Yuma did a terrific job at long distance as for most of our transaction, we were in our home in Mount Vernon, WA dealing with a purchase in Yuma, AZ. Our Yuma banker worked with her local Chicago Title while we did our part with our local Chicago Title.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This lender does not give the best rates and they do not want to bargain for lower rates even if other banks offer lower ones. This happens even if you have been with them for many years. I tried many times to get a lower rate, no dice. This is an awful organization.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

They are the worst, they lose papers, change adjusters without warning. I had 6 adjusters in less than 6 months, I sent them 100's of pages of information. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Very unorganized & unprofessional!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

We were financed through Wells Fargo when the housing market crashed. Predatory Lending at its best. The restructuring options were unrealistic and every person we dealt with sounded hurried and obviously tied to a rigid script. We did end up losing our house. While moving a contractor from the bank came to the house we were leaving while we were not home, drilled out the front door locks, and removed what was left in the house, to include a priceless (to us) guitar that our deceased daughter used to play with me. Wells Fargo was zero help and the number left with a door hanger connected us to no one. Thank goodness State Farm stood by us and treated it as a theft. We will never use any of their products nor recommend them to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

At every step of the process Wells Fargo totally ignored their own guidelines and commitments as to how they would respond to our request. There was never any timely feedback. Everything we sent was like it fell into a dark hole. No one was helpful in any way. Clearly they were doing everything they could to discourage us so that we would go away.

Wells Fargo Mortgage Company Information