Wells Fargo Mortgage
1.83/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Wells Fargo Mortgage Reviews

Looking for a mortgage lender?

1401 Wells Fargo Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2019

I submitted a written request to Wells Fargo to cancel my autopay because the house was in the process of closing and I wanted it paid out of escrow. Unfortunately, those Wells timely received the request - they did not act on it. I called and faxed a letter after receiving a call from someone saying they had not received the request from me until after the withdrawal date (I had a letter from Wells saying they received my fax 10 days earlier).

Enter Colby. He walked me through the process of getting everything fixed, getting the funds reimbursed (since they were paid through closing) and getting everything handled. He advised me when he would be out of the office, so I would know what to expect in terms of his response time. I appreciated his willingness to go above and beyond. I don't have a great opinion of Wells generally, since they are always in the news for pretty crappy stuff. But this time, I have to give them some props. They got this taken care of... And other lenders with inconsistent information and phones they won't answer could learn something from Colby.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Wells Fargo have been our mortgage provider for several homes over the years. Communication and customer service have always been first rate. Anytime I have called with a question or concern they always come through. Online access to account was simple to set up and access. We will continue to do business with Wells Fargo.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I sold a house in Washington State February 1918 and bought one in West Virginia in December 1917. Both had a Wells Fargo mortgages. I have refinanced several times and always ended up with a Wells Fargo mortgage. WF always had competitive rates. Their turnover from one team member to another was seamless and follow up from all team members was impressive. WF will always be my first choice for future mortgages.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We mortgage 7 years ago when it was tough to get a mortgage on a second home. Wells Fargo was tough but ok to deal with. We got a rate of 4.35% for a 15 year mortgage. It was a fair rate at that time. We usually bank at our credit union but they did not finance non-primary homes!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

The store we went to had really friendly employees but they messed up the appointment and we had to come back another day. An hour and a half drive. They did give us a gas card and a gift card for a dinner out which was nice of them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 17, 2019

My wife and I had been long time clients of Wells Fargo (30 years). Now retired, we tried to get a New Home Mortgage. Two months of bad information, options they can't perform, and excuses! STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: July 11, 2019

Back in 2011 I was dealing with a business loss and the mortgage devaluation crisis that started in 2008, I was forced to file Chapter 13 to repay my debts and keep paying for the house. That is a legal commitment, my attorney was in contact with them, and even negotiating a Hamp refinance between both parties. Then a Saturday morning my sister wakes me up terrified saying there is a peeping tom on her window. Rushed outside and got into a physical confrontation with a thief of some kind - no ID, no uniform. The struggle ended with him driving away before police arrived..Come to find out it was a WF subcontractor. My sister was terrified and moved out shortly. The worst is yet to come. Another Saturday afternoon, I've found a thug climbing my backyard fence with a weapon of sorts. Armed myself I invited him to climb down and wait for the police. This is a life and death situation created by WF.

After corralling the individual, he did not engage in fight and cooperated, he stated he worked for Wells Fargo, to what I answer: “I let you go if you give me the worksheet from your employer.” As expected I did called WF in a recorded line of theirs and requested that their subcontractors knock on the door and presented an ID because I've had no idea if that was a criminal. Every utility employee always knock and Id themselves before roaming the property, that is a safety protocol and common sense. I've made clear to WF that having no idea if this was a thief it would be treated as such and I am granted the use of deadly force under the Castle doctrine; WF employees turned around and called my local police department accusing me of death threats!

After a lengthy conversation with the detective assigned to the case, he determined that I did not issue any threat, first I am aware of being recorded and second, I have the right to protect myself and my family, especially from unidentified intruders: how do I know that guy climbing my fence was not a killer, he had a weapon on his hand. What could had happened if we enter a fight?. Wells Fargo acted in bad faith, risked my life and their subcontractors by persisting on sending unidentified trespassers to roam the property, peep on women's windows or send thugs to climb my fence. I remember all like if it was yesterday. Common sense and good practice would have been to announce their inspectors visit, have proper ID; like any other reputable company does.

Now I live in constant vigilance that these mobster of WF are not concocting another home invasion and whether the next thug they sent may kill me as he is caught trespassing. Wells Fargo, that was A declaration of war against me and my family, your employees made a false charge which could have ended in arrest and affecting my good business reputation, you terrorized my family and me. You tried to ruin my reputation, when the only thing I've asked was for your contractors to identify themselves and not trespass. I am not letting this trauma go. You created PTSD, insomnia, IED. I do not trust your institution. I will continue to disclose your mobster tactics until the proper authorities do something about it.

The only thing that I can do to really make you regret those actions against me and avoid doing that to another fellow American is to pay for what you did, to punish the bank with economic compensation. Perhaps invite other people affected by similar situations to participate. WF has done much damage and has made plenty of money with me, justice will get them.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have had a very negative experience with them. I was recently divorced and received an investment property in the settlement with a $100K mortgage, fully funded by rental income (plus $400 in monthly profits after all fees and taxes), and with an asset value of $390K. I was denied the assumption even though I have other assets worth 40x (yes) the amount of the mortgage. As a single mother, who is financially stable, this feels like discrimination and is shortsighted. I am certainly not at risk of defaulting. I will now pay off the mortgage (meaning WF will lose interest revenue from my loan) and never work with or recommend WF again as a mortgage or investment portfolio option.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been a Wells customer for 20 years but making changes to stop doing business. The mortgage experience radically changed my life negatively and the banking with them, after they took over Wachovia, has always been problematic. As far as the mortgage experience, to make it brief, I paid one of my mortgages on WF bill pay. They took out the money from my account but did not send it to Suntrust (another terrible customer service bank). After the snafu they apologized, as did Suntrust, but it cost me an opportunity for a home near my parents to assist them.

I have no proof but also think the mortgage guy enabled someone to purchase to the property at the great price I negotiated. Also beware, any changes you make takes days to implement, transfers are lengthy transactions and it is all to the bank's favor. Save yourself grief and find small banks with real humans who have reasoning capabilities instead of corporate red tape and illogical rules, who have integrity and real concern for their customers.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We've been mortgage customers of Wells Fargo for many years, stayed current and pay on-time. After a tough year with a reduced salary, yet still making regular on-time payments and staying current, I sought help by having our mortgage restructured to keep our home and maintain our good credit. The process was a long drawn-out nightmare. During the process, mutual miscommunication led to our credit score being impacted, and the bank neither took any responsibility nor offered no help in correcting the problem. Wells Fargo seems to not place much value on keeping and satisfying good, loyal, and honorable long-time customers. Poor customer service just compounds Wells Fargo's many reputation (and legal) problems. With so many bank and credit union options, I will never use Wells Fargo for any personal or business banking. I'd recommend others do the same.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We reached out to Wells Fargo about possibly having a line of credit opened on our home, which we own. We own our home, we do not have a mortgage on it. She opened a loan application for us and insisted that we have an appraisal done. We explained that we had just had one done, could we provide her with that one. She said no. We asked, "Can you work it into the loan," she said no. She said, "Have the appraisal done and I will refund you if you are not approved for the loan." We gave her our credit card. We were not approved and she did not refund us. I have been back and forth with Wells Fargo over this situation and each time they say they have no proof that this conversation happened because she was speaking to us on her cell phone.

Here is the thing, they are employing someone who is guilty of operating with bad ethics, she lied to us. Wells Fargo should refund us our money because that is the right thing to do. About the loan, the underwriter said he didn't like that we wouldn't tell them how we got the money to buy our house cash. We had told them it is really none of their business. So they didn't approve us. Be careful when dealing with Wells Fargo and Mariko ** of Burlingame. Very dishonest people.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Blocked my online access when I start to open my account and I don't have any mistakes. I already went to the bank in person and I provide my ids to the manager of the bank.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Wells Fargo offered a payment deferment for homeowners that were adversely impacted by Hurricane Florence last year. I was told the deferment would be for 90 days and that the deferred payments would be added to the end of my loan. What a God send I thought due to the fact my employment was adversely affected by devastating flooding and my home sustained damages that were not covered by insurance. I gratefully accepted the deferment and took what little money I did receive during this time to start working on the damages to the house to ensure that mold did not invade and cause further damages, protecting both my health and Wells Fargo's investment.

During the deferment I contacted Wells Fargo to let them know that my employment was still being adversely affected and that at the end of the 90 days that I may not have returned to work full time to see what my options may be. I was told not to worry about it that all I needed to do was complete the paperwork for a modification or re-payment plan. I did so and in January they denied the modification and stated that I was ineligible for a re-payment plan because of my income. Completely stressed I frantically started applying for jobs to increase my income.

Luck was with me and I fell into a job making 900.00 a month more than I was making with no additional expenses added. This giving me over 900.00 of disposable income monthly so I appealed their decision and submitted the new income documentation only to be denied once again and offered a short sale. I need to mention at this time my arrears were less than $5000.00. It's amazing how misrepresentation comes into play when Wells Fargo has something to gain. I am currently scheduled for a foreclosure hearing this month. Whoever is reading this if you have not already sold you soul to the devil RUN!!!

Original review: May 12, 2019

In FL hurricane WF offered us a 90 day relief (no payments, no penalties, add to end of note) for tree that fell close to our home & cleanup/fix home. It was HELL. I got foreclosure letters. I had to call dozens of times and do all legwork to keep proving we had 3 month relief. YOU offered, I didn’t ask for this. But never should have accepted. Be wary of kindness.

Original review: May 12, 2019

My last mortgage experience with WF was a nightmare. My abstract on the property where I built my house was one day from expiring because my mortgage rep couldn't get it together. When I went around him to solve a problem he called, chewed me out and sort of threatened me. Bad experience.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I've had 3 mortgages with Wells Fargo, and been delighted every time with the service, their transparency, and the fact they're such a huge company they are watched closely by all the federal regulatory agencies. Makes for a more professional, happy experience.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Wells Fargo helped save my house when I lost my house and my husband became disabled. I can never thank them enough for being as compassionate as they were. Now that my husband is deceased, I plan on selling this home and buying a condo. I will call Wells Fargo again.

Original review: May 9, 2019

After being in an automobile accident that left me unable to work I went through some tough times during that time. I reached out to Wells Fargo and asked them to work with me. It took them six weeks to put together a refinance mortgage that ended up benefiting them as far as interest is concerned more than me and also ruined my credit by reporting the late payments while they were putting together an offer. To this day I have wrote them letters, called them and beg them to please remove the negative credit from my credit report but they refuse. Not a very friendly or empathetic mortgage company to work with. Beware.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I find that Wells Fargo has done a very good job for me! They came to me to lower my mortgage rate and finance years. My mortgage rate was up over 73/4 and now it is about 31/2 and it was financed for 22 years and after refinance it was brought down to 15 years. In eight more years my house will be paid off.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I placed a complaint regarding my investment account and my mortgage account and my inability to get a loan in March and no one has resolved anything! Then I get calls from God knows where and they leave extensions that are `10 digits long and if I miss a digit? They have no record of anyone calling me. I was screwed on my investments and have only made 2% since 2009.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Their recommendations during a govt.-backed mortgage reduction payment process in 2012 almost cost me my house and the final result was a refinance that was NO savings at all. They did not reduce the interest rate at all. Instead, they extended my original loan by 13 years.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I haven't had any issue. I have called the mortgage dept several times about escrow. My questions and request are quickly resolved. Wells Fargo took over the mortgage about a year of being with First Natl. Bank of Douglas.

Original review: May 5, 2019

They applied our monthly payment then unapplied multiple times ending in no payment to our mortgage. Cost $15000. Court order to return money to our mortgage took 6 months, they had to research this? What? Their attorney wasn’t present before the judge at this time???

Original review: May 5, 2019

Fraudulent practices, bait & switch practiced regularly, unethical pricing, very deceptive when asked specific questions. They were unapologetic and rude, I was in that line of work and was shocked. They made loans without disclosing loan terms. Their customer service more like an episode of Maury Povich with less swearing. WF offered the same loan rates to their 'in-house or platform' lenders with the added ability to undersell their own loans written through the wholesale divisions. I get a knot in my stomach knowing how they dealt with me and in closing out my mother's estate I suspect that she too was taken advantage of until I refinanced her out of the WF program. The more a company advertises how much they care about you, the less likely it is to be true.

Original review: May 4, 2019

15 years with this mortgage company, Wells Fargo - I haven't receive any product or any sort of advertising from to response as business relationship, so I have not much to say. However, all I did is keeping my payment on time, except a few credit cards. I think Wells Fargo done a great job on delivery good mortgage rates and availability to fit consumer income on their budget into one piece count.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Ike Turner treated Tina better than this company treats its customers. RUN far away as they will be very cordial in courting your business and ram you big time in the end. I needed help during a health crisis, trying to recover from chronic pain after a car accident. Delayed SSDI determination and failing health means nothing to this soul-less entity.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Wells Fargo is absolutely the worst bank ever. They are dishonest and greedy. I paid my loan off due to their incompetence so I wouldn't have to deal with their horrible customer service! Wells Fargo as a bank is a joke.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Was in a bad accident with a drunk driver and was in the hospital for several months. I had my daughter write a letter of hardship when Wells didn't care. I never missed a payment in 6 years and was always on time. They then placed a notice on my door and stated that in 30 days the house would belong to them. I then sold the home through a short sale and Wells Fargo was paid in full. After they placed a neg. feedback on my credit file. They are a bunch of non caring ** that could care less about their customers.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I called Wells Fargo to ask about refinancing and they wouldn't help me. They said I didn't have enough money left on my mortgage payments to want to bother. I'M going to look for another mortgage company.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Wells Fargo took over my mortgage without an application from me. I would have never have signed on with them. They do not care about you or your family and they lie to you. Then a few year back they merged with another mortgage company and sold some of their loans to them. My loan was one of them and I had deal with that company who was under Wells Fargo’s rules. I could never tell if my terms were ever changed due to the poor customer service.

Wells Fargo Mortgage Company Information