Wells Fargo Mortgage
1.65/5
Based on 98 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Wells Fargo Mortgage

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

1238 Wells Fargo Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Overcharged us on interest rates from 2007 until 2016. Had a flexible interest rate and when rates lowered they continued charging at the higher rate until they sold our loan to Mr. Cooper. I wish they could have been fairer to us and wait till we almost lost the house.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

This bank sucks for home loans. We lost our home of 12 years. Broke my heart, got no help, nothing but attitude, my attorney said to forward whatever we could to them because we were behind. They ended up screwing us. I was amazed at the attitude I got from people on the phone.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer 2 years after buying a home. They contacted WF for a reduction. WF told them they couldn't help until they were in default and then (after mountains of faxed paperwork that they lost) WF said they could stop paying the mortgage or pay $25 per month for 6 months and pile up 25,000 in debt and hopefully in 6 months things "would be better" and they could catch up. Seriously?!? In 6 months my sister could be dead but definitely not better! I will NEVER bank with Wells Fargo. Even the charity grant that they were given said they will pay mortgage or utilities for almost any company EXCEPT Wells Fargo because they won't work with the charity and accept payments from charity or anyone besides the homeowner. Disgraceful!!! I don't know how these people sleep at night.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Wells Fargo added an Escrow account to my mortgage that I have had for 11 years. I have contacted Wells Fargo 7 times trying to remove my Escrow account. Each time I call they inform me it's being sent to the executives and should be taken care of. Well 2 months later and I am still trying to remove it. Each time I call they promise to call me back the next day. I never get a callback. Well, yesterday I spoke with Wells Fargo again, and yes they promised me a callback the next day. They actually called me back this time, but I was unable to answer my phone due to I was at work. I did return their call within 45 min. Of course I receive their voice mail. This was around 2:30 pm. I fully expected Wells Fargo to return my call.

Never called me back and when I called for the second time the person had left for the day. Of course it’s leave early Friday. I have never experienced such horrible customer service. I would not recommend Wells Fargo to anyone. I am going to refinance my house, close my accounts and get the heck out of Wells Fargo. I have been a customer for more than 15 years and truly can't believe the way I have been treated and lied to.

Updated on 01/26/2018: Part 2... I have been calling Wells Fargo over the past few months trying to get my escrow account removed. I have had my mortgage with Wells Fargo for 11 years and one day I received a letter stating my payment was going up by 500 a month. My guess I have called close to 15 times and no one can help. I have been referred to the executive group the help me. I truly don't believe they exist. I call, and call and call and I all I get is the same answer. Someone will call you back. Wish I knew who this someone was. I am going to keep writing on every complaint website until this is resolved. I would not recommend Wells Fargo to my worst enemy. What a joke.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We had our first Mortgage (1/2001) with Washington Mutual and also carried a Life Insurance policy on the loan, in 11/2005 my Husband suddenly became ill and at the time was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his brain and after his passing in 4/2006 I contacted Washington Mutual and they advised that there was no such policy, alright I requested a repayment plan for which there was an agreement? I called to make a payment. They advised that my defaulted mortgage was purchased by Washington Mutual and I needed to get in touch with them at which time I called them and was advised "they could not speak with regards to the mortgage because I didn't have a power of attorney" at which time I was perplexed and asked what do I need that for and they advised that I needed to prove myself to be his heir! Alright I'll do that and how do I accomplish that?

I needed to go to the Courthouse with my husband and prove that I was entitled to his assets, what being married for 26 years didn't mean anything!! Wells Fargo mortgage proceeded to advise myself at this time that they could no longer have any conversation with regards to the Mortgage and they were going to begin with the foreclosure process as of 10/2006!!! Our children and myself had to vacate the premises as of 11/2006, needless to say I've been homeless on and off since that time! We purchased our new house for $96,900. They sold for $180,600 and on the record it shows that the amount sold went into and out of my name three times??? Robbery...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

DON'T EVER DEAL WITH WELLS FARGO! OMG they sent me two escrow refund checks last year and I refused one because I did not want my house pymt to go UP and they can't find any record of that! And so my pymt is going UP! They are IDIOTIC MORONS AT BEST! BAD REPUTATION!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

With Hurricane Irma...Wells Fargo called about help with mortgage since we lived in a FEMA declared disaster!!! I was told by their rep Patricia that Wells Fargo wanted to help and that for the months of Oct, Nov, and Dec...my payment would be deferred to the end of our contract!!! On Jan 1st we go back to paying our regular mortgage... Happy Holidays. I cried as it would help us out since insurance money was not enough to fix our roof and small things that needed to get repaired. We could fix our home!!

Guess what in December... about the 10th I get a call saying the three months missed needed to be paid. I told them what was said and they said that they said it would be due on the 1st all three months. Of course I do not have it...I live on Social Security. They gave me until Feb. to come up with $3902.64 as they have already sent papers for foreclosure and sent me paperwork to save my house!! I want away from them and have been asking everyone for a loan (my daughter and I can pay back the money). In July we want to refinance with a Credit Union... just have to get Credit Cards back down (used for repairs) and credit score up!! I am 70 years old and so upset writing this. PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE. PEOPLE DO NOT USE WELLS FARGO. Ours was sold to them from another small broker. Never knew until it was done!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I received terrible experience doing business with this bank. First, they are extremely slow. Every single piece of info takes weeks to process on the part of the underwriter. I spent two months collecting papers for them and was approved for a loan. I found a house and put a bid, but they changed their mind and told me that I cannot use the money I was saving for 5 years for the downpayment because the source of these funds cannot be verified. I submitted statements for 3 years, but they told me that my savings go too much back in time. I was saving for 5 years. They told me that I was supposed to save the whole downpayment in one year to be countable. How is it possible? It does not make sense. I had to cancel a deal.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We recently sold our home. The couple buying our home used Wells Fargo as their lender. We signed all the paperwork first thing in the morning. The contract said the loan would be funded by 5:00 p.m. Wells Fargo neglected to transfer the money. This normally wouldn't be a huge problem, but the following day was the first day of a three day holiday weekend. Since we had already vacated the house with the expectation that the buyers would move in we were unable to close on our loan until Monday. This left us basically homeless until three days later. We had three days additional moving expenses totaling $600. Wells Fargo admitted that they failed to transfer the money but refused to reimburse our additional costs. Be aware that Wells Fargo does not take responsibility for their mistakes. There are plenty of reputable banks out there. Choose one that truly cares about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

We attempted to pay off our mortgage balance today at a local branch today. Our first shock was being told they cannot accept payoffs at the branch offices, payment MUST be sent overnight or through wire transfer to a department in Iowa (at our added expense) AND we must give them a request for payoff to process in 4 business days. Even the branch managers were shocked to hear this information over the phone from their Iowa offices. They both tried to reason with the person on the phone (and his manager) but we ended up walking out with nothing more than apologies.

Of course, we are forced to request a new payoff in 4 business days so now we are looking at ADDITIONAL INTEREST for today, SAT, SUN and 4 days next week = another 7 days profit for Wells Fargo. What should have been a wonderful, happy experience has now become ANOTHER slap in the face from this horrible institution. I cannot express how much I dislike using this disgusting business who continues to prey on their customers. I will spend the "next 4 business days" spreading as much bad publicity as possible through social media, word of mouth and calls to the local tv stations.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I obtained my mortgage with a local lender. The lender sold my mortgage to Wells Fargo. I had issues during refinancing and have been fighting WFHM since 2016. I have requested information and am repeatedly told that I would need a subpoena to get that information released. I am asking for information about my own mortgage, and they won't share it with me. They treat veterans like garbage. They have a history of fraud and are rewarded for lying to you. I would refinance to get away from them except my mortgage could be sold again. The consumer should have the right to reject the selling of their mortgage to shady corporations. WFHM just agreed to pay $50 million for their unlawful business practices. They won't address the bigger issues until they get caught.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I got behind in my mortgage and Wells Fargo was starting foreclosure. I called to make arrangements to get back on track. I was told so many different stories of how much I owed. I contacted their home preservation dept (it's a joke). Prior to contacting them I was told that they would do a reinstatement and I had to come up with the money by 10/25. I called to see where to send it and was told that I owed a $1000.00. So I was able to get that and when I called again I was told that it went up to $5300.00 due to document fees of 1100.00. But I found this out the day of the 25th. I asked if I could pay the 1100.00 on the 26th. They said no. I sent the check anyways and when I called to see if they cashed the check they told me no. That they were sending it back due to it wasn't the right amount. Soooo. Home preservation came in and said I was approved for the repayment plan.

I accepted it and was told by Susan ** that the 5300.00 check would be returned. Well I still haven't got that check back. I made my first payment and then have gotten 3 different statements this month saying I owe 1800.00 (payments). I told the girl that I was on the plan and I was to get the check back. The check was being held as unapplied funds. So now I'm going to the top. Every time I call I get different answers from different people. I have had it. It's like they want me to lose my home so I am going to CORPORATE and the news media. I have read too many problems with this bank that it's unfair that they jerks us around and we cannot do anything to stop them. Hopefully an attorney would want to take this on pro bono. We all need to be the squeaky wheel and not take this from this crooked bank.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

My father is 78 years old, he has been paying $511.00 in mortgage payments to Wells Fargo since 1987. The loan will not be paid off until sometime after 2025. My issue is the house he purchased cost only $39,000. It's a two bedroom ranch with a one car garage, no basement. I've calculated that he has paid or will pay over $183,960. Unbelievable right! My dad is an elderly proud man with very little education; and for these reasons I feel he is being taken advantage of. We have talk to someone at Wells Fargo who stated that they would do a mortgage audit. Please help me get some true results for him. There is no way he should be paying over $183,960 for a $39,000 house. He has never been late on a payment, the mortgage payments have been coming out of his account like clockwork, he has not taken out a 2nd mortgage loan on the house. Please advise us of what to do next.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have opened, signed all paperwork related to home equity application in Aug 2017. We have done signing and sign and docs were notarized at local branch. After two months, I tried to access account online but I could not find my new account so I thought it is just online issue. After few days, I spoke to mortgage officer who put all application and help facilitate application process. He told me after few days that bank has made mistake and after signing papers were supposed to go some processing center but it went to different processing center so nothing could be done, other than you need to restart application process again. So my question is, if bank dept or employee has made mistake why I need to again start process again. Process is complicated and consumes lots of your time and energy. I want to know, if there any email address where I can sent complaint.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We have been Wells Fargo customers for over 12 years. We currently have a VA mortgage loan through Wells Fargo, and every year they tell us that they are short on funds as the homeowners insurance has gone up or our taxes have gone up. Some logic to that. My wife and I are both 70 + years old. Our income is almost entirely from Social Security. Having mortgage payments going up every year is difficult, but this year, going into 2018, that increase given by Wells Fargo is an immediate $309 dollars plus an increase to our mortgage payment every month of 42 dollars a month. This is a lot of money, that we simply do not have and while I have been in touch with Wells Fargo on this issue, they insist that their figures are correct.

Our homeowners insurance has gone up to $626 a month and taxes are around $2860 a year. How can they be that short on funds that we have paid month after month and while there have been $12 to $20 dollar monthly increases in the past ten years, never to the amount as they are claiming this year. We have no money to fight this. Their solution is, to name a few ideas, refinancing our home, or a short sale of the property. Seems to us that what Wells Fargo wants is to eliminate us as their customers. To go any further into debt, their suggestions would not have any help in this matter. As it is, we do have the home for sale, as we can no longer afford to maintain it. What can we possibly do here? Thank You.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

This week I visited my local branch of Wells-Fargo to make a substantial payment on the principal of my home mortgage. I had received a check from a major US insurance company that I was going to cash to facilitate this payment. I desired to make the payment and receive a little over $2,000 in proceeds from the check that was over the amount I wanted to pay on my mortgage. They refused to cash the check because I do not have a checking account or a savings account with Wells-Fargo, only my mortgage account. When I questioned "Why?", a manager who obviously was nearby that I had not noticed, came rushing over to explain that Wells-Fargo rules do not permit cashing a check in this case that was over the amount I wished to pay on my mortgage even though the amount I wanted to pay the bank was substantially more than the amount I would receive back.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. My experience at Wells-Fargo is that they are all smiles and cheerful until you ask to cash a check. Previously, I had asked to cash a US Department of Treasury check at the time I was making my monthly mortgage payment. They refused to cash the check that time as well. The total US Government check was a whopping $13.49. Wow! I am not a banker nor do I know all the "rules" of banking but this check cashing policy seems extremely ridiculous to me.

I will put in a plug for Credit Unions here. I traveled a quarter of a mile down the street to a local Credit Union branch and they were more than happy to cash the Government check for $13.49. They were extremely nice and never questioned the check. Guess where I now have an account for saving and checking? The Credit Union of course! By the way, the money I was going to pay on my mortgage is now in my Credit Union savings account.

With all the news about Wells-Fargo lately and their shady business practices along with what I consider extremely poor customer service, maybe everyone should consider doing their banking at either a local Credit Union or at least another bank. I highly recommend you doing so. I also have an account with a large regional bank and they do much better with customer service than Wells-Fargo although not as good as the Credit Union. One final note. I did not get my mortgage from Wells-Fargo but from another regional bank, because of their low interest rate, who then "sold" the loan to Wells-Fargo. I am not well pleased with this banking practice either.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We have owned our home for 23 years in Colorado Springs, CO. We were in a loan modification and had completed all paperwork necessary for a modification. We had several deaths in our immediate family, Loss of Business, A Son with Medical issues related to seizures along with additional financial concerns. We were sent correspondence concerning our loan modification. Over 6 letters but 2 that stated there would be the official decision made by 11/13 and then another said 12/05. But, we would receive an answer as it was in the pipeline and was being fully researched for any options we might have available including selling our home or placing the arrears to the back of my loan. Then on November 16 2017 we received a FedEx Letter from Premiere Asset Services Group A Division of WF.

Addressed to: Dear Occupant. I called the realtor assigned to me and asked why he was involved? He told me I no longer am the owner of my property. I called and verified this information with the Court. My house was sold on November 8, 2017. I had never received a letter from Wells Fargo or anyone from Home Preservation. I then contacted them and they didn't even realize what had happened. They said there were expecting to have me an answer within days. They had no idea this had taken place.

So I contacted "The Reinstatement Program" NY a loan modification company working to resolve my case to see what actions I could take. He was caught off-guard and completely unaware of my home selling. He informed me we need to continue paying mortgage payments through them as my Broker of Good Will. I guess he thought I'd feel comfortable with this arrangement since I no longer owned the property. He was right. I didn't feel comfortable and thought he should have advised me of the sale date. I believe they just move files around the desk and some end up in the trash. They do the basic paperwork anyone can do with a little understanding. There is fraud on both fronts and it's a $$$ Pit & Racket...

I reached out to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and filed a complaint on Wells Fargo this past Wed. the 6th. Wells Fargo contacted me today from the Consumer Affairs Division and told me they once again were researching my complaint but couldn't promise me a good outcome. Well for now we may be safe but eviction is around the corner. I'm 63, wife 62 and our 19 yr old who has had disabling seizure activity for the past 7 years. We would like to know if there is anything else we can do or an Government agency without calling the Trump White House to get anything done. I know there is never a good time to lose your home. Please let me know if anyone has an answer to my situation.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

This was the worst experience I had ever been through! Please I want to warn people to please not go through Wells Fargo for any business. They are unethical and go back on their statements. I was refinancing a mortgage loan for 340,000. My house appraised for 640,000. I have a single family home located on a 4.75 ac lot. I went through city planning and got the .75 ac lot to be able to subdivide in the future. The process is not completed and was not going to be completed through me. Just wanted to have that option before city changed zoning.

Well Wells Fargo denied me the loan stating my property wasn't being used to most efficient value. That they couldn't loan to me because they would not be able to resale loan? My single family house is located on 4.75 ac!! Not subdivided. Can't be subdivided as is as now. But Wells Fargo said it's a unsaleable loan because my 4.75 ac lot can be subdivided in the future if someone wanted to finish the development process. Seriously it makes no sense!! My property is worth triple of what my loan amount was for. Please don't go through Wells Fargo. Then they wouldn't show me the appraisal I paid 525.00 for. Won't give it to me and haven't reimbursed me my appraisal fee. That they advertise, "If we for any reason don't loan to you. We will reimburse your appraisal fee."

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I tried for months to get a loan modification or any kind of help. They (Wells Fargo) put me off never returned calls. If I did get in touch with someone that person would tell me that my account had been sent to a different Wells Fargo rep. I looked everywhere. Online I tried to get the V.A. to help. I honestly could not get anyone to help me. So eventually I lost my house and wells Fargo could care less. I did have a company call me and tell me that I had legit reasons to sue Wells Fargo... but I had to come up with some ungodly amount of money to get the ball rolling... I told the other company that if I had that much money sitting around I would not have lost my house...

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

For 5 months Wells Fargo took my mortgage payment and NEVER applied it to my account! I would have never known if I wasn't attempting to get a new vehicle and from credit union did a credit check for the loan I was requesting and told me. WTF? That was a few years ago, still to this day I have nothing but problems with them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Our current mortgage is with Wells Fargo and apart from applying an impound check incorrectly, their accuracy and service has been excellent. When you call customer service, you get a live person who can be relied upon to address your concerns appropriately and cheerfully. I rated "value" and "options" as neutral because we were only interested in a 30 yr fixed, and I can't remember what they charged us in points. No complaints from us but, and it's a big but, Wells Fargo is getting some really bad press resulting from all their lying and cheating employees so the jury is out if I would consider them again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

My mortgage is six years along with Wells. Throughout that entire time, I have enjoyed using their awesome website to monitor my balance, track my escrow funds, etc. I can easily make electronic payments, and even designate additional principal or escrow with my payment.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I FEEL OK BUT IT CAN BE MUCH BETTER. I HAVE A MANUFACTURED HOME BUT I NEED A NEW ROOF LAST YEAR. When we had the big win it messed up my roof. I called the insurance I had to get said I have a factory home they cannot fix it. I had to pay for it myself and I do not have the money so my roof still leaks. I need a new roof on my home. Can you help me to fix my roof. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have a home loan with Wells Fargo and I have not been treated well at all. I wish I could afford to move to another company. I did a Refi using HARP but did not know that I could use another company, so I stayed with them. Bad choice!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have used quite a few Mortgage Companies but Quicken Loans is the absolute best. They provide quick answers and take the time to explain what is required. You know in advance what is exactly required.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I found them to be the BEST! They delivered on what they promised. Their rate was the best, and I was approved within three days. Regardless of what has happened, They were very upfront with me and after having been dealing with a prominent bank for 7 months, they reneged on their promises. WF took care of everything. I am completely satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

You can only mail in a principal payment. You cannot do it online. Makes it more difficult which is probably how they want it because they want it to take as long as possible to pay off your loan.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

The original mortgage did not go through Wells Fargo. However, it was just horrible and took forever. I NEVER want to get a mortgage again!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Non Competitive and not really any effort in appreciating business or the customer. Staff were mostly courteous but short and robotic as a rule, very little evidence of caring.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I as POA of my Mother obtained a reverse mortgage on our home from Wells Fargo Reverse Mortgage NAC to make my Mother's final years comfortable. When my Mother deceased, the Bank tried to get in my house the week she passed to do an appraisal, which was disrespectful and tasteless to say the least, then Wells Fargo refused to speak with me even though the I was the executor of my Mothers estate. Subsequently. They sold my house to Fannie ** in which I got entangle. Don't in a nasty battle and the REO agents assigned to sell the property. Stole possessions out of my house before the 30 day rule of "abandoned property". I would never urge anyone to take out a reverse mortgage. The you worse than any predatory loan I can think of.

Wells Fargo Mortgage Company Information

Wells Fargo
    420 Montgomery Street
    San Francisco
    www.wellsfargo.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use