Wells Fargo Mortgage

Wells Fargo Mortgage

3.9/5 (2295 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Wells Fargo Mortgage

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Pros

• Easy online payment
  • Local representatives
  • Little or no money down options

Cons

• Strict eligibility requirements

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo mortgages are available for first-time homebuyers, repeat homebuyers and homeowners who want to refinance or access the equity in their homes. To apply, visit Wells Fargo online or at a local branch.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Wells Fargo Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Wells Fargo is by far the worse mortgage company I have ever dealt with. We applied for a mortgage on May 25 and could never get it closed. By September 10 we were so sick of dealing with them, we finally went with another lender. The new lender got done in seven (yes, 7) days what WF could not do in almost 4 months. WF asked for the same documents repeatedly. They asked for documents on Friday at 4:50 and our loan was scheduled to close that following Monday. WF sent us a commitment letter dated August 20 that had an expiration date of August 15. Our first loan processor was so unresponsive we were assigned to another after one month.

From the beginning, we made sure our new processor knew the schedule of selling our home and the purchase of the new home. We already had a closing date set, which was not met. In the end, we incurred expenses totaling almost $3,000 due to WF's inability to honor own mortgage request. We asked for reimbursement for these expenses and WF refused. This story goes on and on and on. I had been a customer of WF for almost 40 years, my husband, as well. We have considerable assets, stellar credit scores, no late payments ever, no bounced checks and this is how we were treated. I am in the process of closing all accounts with WF and will never do business with them again. I wish I could give them less than one star. Please think again if you're considering Wells Fargo, they are worse than awful!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I bought my house in 2012 through my realtor Sibcy Kline who was quite marvelous to go above and beyond to make the experience seamless and painless. They selected my lender (Wells Fargo) and appraisal company and title company, etc. Fast forward to 2016, I decided to refinance because I wanted to get rid of my PMI and shorten my loan term, and I figured that it would be easier to use my same lender (Wells Fargo). I was able to get rid of my PMI and the process wasn't too bad.

However, I am extremely disappointed that now in 2021, after being a customer of 9 years, they don't have the slightest care when dealing with customers. I was going to refinance again, to take advantage of the lower rates in the market, and I got approved and my closing date came and there were inconsistencies in the paperwork, so I did not sign. I did try to get a hold of my loan officer to no avail and when I spoke to another Wells Fargo representative, he said he would let my loan officer know and call me back because apparently he was the only one who could fix my paperwork.

This has started a nightmarish hell week for me, in which different Wells Fargo representatives call me and ask me to repeat myself every single time and promise resolution that they don't deliver. The last 2 times, I noticed a hostility tone in the Wells Fargo representatives who called me. They seemed annoyed that I ask too many questions and that I am not appeased by them passing me around like a hot potato.

The last person I talked to, my loan officer's manager, just straight up told me that they won't correct the documents and I just have to sign them as is and just take her word that the documents don't mean what they are saying. Instead of showing me factual evidence to support their claims, they want me to all the legwork myself "for my peace of mind" as they are quite insistent that they are on the right and nothing I say or uncover will make them correct the documents that they want me to sign.

I am to the point that I just either won't refinance at all, refinance with someone else, or pay this loan off not to deal with this kind of nonsense again. I think it's best to go to a local office of any bank or any brick and mortar financial institution and have a human to talk to face to face, than dealing with the army of Wells Fargo representatives by e-mail and phone who you cannot reach when it counts.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I have had a mortgage with them for some time and went to refinance since the rates were much lower now. After 4 months of endless paperwork, escalating my account and "we are working on it", I finally stopped the process. This cost me $500 in fees. I went through Commonfund Mortgage got a better rate and with less hassle and paperwork. The whole process took a month and a half. Who ends up buying the mortgage but Wells Fargo. Go elsewhere for your refinancing needs.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Have carried WF as my mortgage holder for years.. no problem. Started refinance process with a credit score over 800. Six weeks later, twenty five documents and three days from closing they wanted information they already had. I told them to “pound sand”. Fast forward three weeks..I close on my current loan tomorrow with a lower interest rate, lower payments and no one asked intrusive questions. Piece of cake. Wells Fargo not so much.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Wells Fargo Mortgage recently bought my mortgage loans from Summit Financial Funding. During the course of home buying, Summit Financial did inform me that I can make a request to handle the escrow by myself after the house is closed and once my mortgage gets sold to a new firm. Now the new firm, Wells Fargo would simply not accept my request. They are bringing in new terms and conditions to essentially hold my escrow money, while I lose the opportunity to make diligent investments with my money and pay the taxes and insurance by myself. Personally, very poor experience with Wells Fargo. I would request consumers to avoid doing any business with Wells Fargo, if possible.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

Wells Fargo mortgage department is nothing but crooks who get you for your money when paying for an appraisal to only deny you. Their communication when going through the process is not so open. Wasted almost $600 for some other company to get richer after being pre approved. What a waste of time. Thank you Wells Fargo for everything. I see why that you always on the news for taking other people money.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Wells Fargo is so unethical! I have VA home loan through them. I sold my house for EXACTLY what was owed on my loan. Fast forward 4 years later I apply for a new VA home loan and find out after I closed Wells Fargo billed the VA for 24,000. I asked what it was for and they have no information. They basically say when banks bill them they just pay it. I call Wells Fargo and they can’t give me a breakdown. Just say ‘fees’. They are fraudulently billing the VA and getting money! Most unethical company I have ever seen. I can only imagine what they do to people that bank there.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Adrienne ** home Mortgage Consultant **. She had my realtor to sell my house and after that I supposed to closed on my house but never happened. She wouldn’t not answer the phone. The bank will not call me to let me know what is going on with my loan. I am homeless plus my license home daycare with disabilities kids. She stole my life. No house and no income. Wells Fargo bank needs to compensate me cause I pay for inspection and mortgage insurance, survey, appraisal, earnest money. I will like to go on media so I can let people know don’t deal with Wells Fargo bank cause they are fake. I will be getting me a attorney because this should have never happen to me - homeless. Come on y’all. This is so wrong - the way that they treating me. Something got to be done about this so it won't happen to no one else.

Original review: July 25, 2021

Wells Fargo Bank Home mortgage not even deserve 0 rating, all of Wells Fargo Bank Home Mortage employee are unprofessional, liar, wasting people time as well people money. They don’t know what they are doing, they are not well train, most of them don't have work experience. They are just ripping off people. I am customer with Wells Fargo 5 years, I have 750 Credit score. I don’t have any other payments, I have permanent State job making more than 80k a year.

I applied for loan and submitted all the required documents also I was paying 20% down. On 07/19/2021 was my closing date me and my real-estate agent was sending emails we called them since three days nobody was answering us. On 07/21/2021 they answer the call and told us that, "Your loan is not approved, we cancel your loan because you don't have three years futures planning of continuing income."

I am requesting written notice from them but they are not sending me any written notice, not answering my calls even. I paid for appraisal. They told me to take insurance, at the end they are saying I am not approved for loan because I don't have 3 years future plan. I am asking from them who knows the future what will happen, who is guaranteeing the future nobody, we are human not GOD. Shame of Wells Fargo Bank, wish I was not waste my time with them.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Updated on 07/31/2021: I wanted to update my last review but I don't see where I can do that so here's an additional review that I'm STILL WAITING for Wells Fargo to refinance my home or give me any kind of resolution. They have extended my rate lock yet another month because they've messed up so many times. But now if that was on me there's no way my rate lock would be extended. I've also been told I'd be contacted by somebody regarding my initial complaint and here I am still waiting for that too. At this point I'm going to cancel the whole refinance with Wells Fargo and go with a smaller company that will offer a better rate. Wells Fargo you've been a horrific experience.

Original Review: I've been trying to refinance for almost 3 months now. On day two of the process I informed my mortgage consultant the law office/title provider that I chose. Today almost 3 months later I'm being told that my refinance is going to have to be delayed another week or two because of this "change" i.e. me wanting to use my title provider that I chose two days after I started this process. I will never ever use Wells Fargo for any type of loan or banking in the future. My original loan with a small company was so smooth and flawless I had no idea what I was in for with Wells Fargo.

Do yourself a favor and go with a smaller bank when getting a home loan or refinancing. They may end up selling your mortgage to a bigger company like Wells Fargo but throughout the process you will get much better customer service. People who actually remember what you say or email and care about what you say to them so you're not repeating yourself many many times and also having to fill out the same form many times. A mega bank like Wells Fargo is trying assist too many customers that you almost can't blame the multiple people they put in charge of your process. You are just a number, you are not a person.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Updated on 06/17/2021: So Wells Fargo responded to my review. They promised a phone call by the end of the day from one of their problem resolution person. He never called. Still no date to close on my refinance. Still no communication.

Original Review: I have been waiting now 67 days for my refinance to get done. The person who was working on my loan is never in the office. I have reached out for answers and still haven't heard what the issue is. I think they are hanging on to the loan as long as possible to keep charging me the higher interest rate since I already have a mortgage with them. I find their communication to be terrible. I'm constantly needing to resend documents because they are taking too long to complete the loan process so they expire. No one can answer me. I was approved in May for the loan. I started the process in April.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I loved Wells Fargo. I have heard a lot of complaints about them, but I had no problem with them. I would definitely use them again in the future. They were very customer oriented. I even got a gift card from them for refinancing.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I ended up with Wells Fargo for my mortgage after Wells Fargo acquired Washington Mutual. I called several time and ask if I can get a loan modification that I qualified for back in 2009/2010 and received no help. I was in a bad loan that was written by Washington Mutual and ended up paying over $200.000 extra interest on my loan. In March of 2020 I was able to pay my mortgage but not my taxes on my house. Wells Fargo didn't apply the payment to my loan because of that. I didn't find out for a couple of years. They used part of the money for something I don't know until today. The rest I was able to apply to a payment in 2014.

Wells Fargo charged me late interest fees for almost 10 years and sold my loan to Rushmore Mortgage. It is a nightmare dealing with them. Now I had to make double payment to be current on my loan with them and the late fees are still sitting there not resolved. Neither Rushmore or Wells Fargo offering any help or admitting that Wells at Fault. Wells got so much money to get bailed out and consumers like myself are not getting any help. Very frustrated.

Original review: April 24, 2021

I am having nightmare experience with Wells Fargo currently while working on my home refinancing. I already have original loan with them. First they promised me a good rate and when I agreed to go with them, they gave me .75 higher rate than originally quoted. After that they tried to support their false claims. I decided to move on, and they called me back that they can keep their promise.

I decided to give them second chance, so now they are trying to add some cost to my closing cost. In this screenshot, they have added $7,000 to my closing cost and they are claiming that they are giving me 0 discount points. While when I asked them what will be a closing cost without discount points, they gave me that number little more than $4,000. I am to the point horrified that if they will not correct that, I may surely move on from them forever. Their standard is keep going down for sure. I am missing integrity and trust. Previously, I have worked with them multiple times for home mortgage and refinancing but after this experience, no more Wells Fargo.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Think twice before you finance your home through Wells Fargo. They will change your contract to their advantage. I refinanced my home through them in 2013. Due date was supposed to be set up on the 15th of each month. They set it up on the 1st of the month. I get paid on the third week of each month. When I contacted them and explained why I needed the 15th, they told me not to worry about it that they’d never charge me late fees. For 8 years they stood behind the deal. For 8 years when they would call about it, they would look and see the deal in the notes. Now for some reason all the notes have disappeared. No records of them making this deal with me. And now all of a sudden I’m being charged late fees, which they know will add up every month for the next 12 years.

Two months ago when they called me, the notes were still there stating no late charge. They say no one has the ability to change the notes, but they mysteriously disappeared. Don’t trust them, they will rip you off in the long run. They say they can’t explain why I haven’t paid late charge for over 8 years. Common sense tells you there was a reason, but they can’t explain why this was overlooked for 8 years. They say I should be happy that I didn’t have to pay for the last 8 years and start paying 36 dollars extra a month. Very unhappy customer.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Had difficulties in negotiating numerous times with Wells Fargo for a lower interest rate on mortgage. I was successful with other lenders so highly recommend doing your research. I'm recommending Freedom Mortgage particularly for VA loans.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Wells Fargo is a rip off. They overcharged me on PMI after my loan had been paid in full. Also, in order to get a PMI removed they make a customer jump through hoops. The customer has to pay extra money to have a PMI removed. I am so happy I refinanced with another company. (Note: I am with American Financing now. So happy I switched.)

Original review: April 7, 2021

Wells Fargo pre-approved me last year 2020. After I paid all my fees and desktop appraisal fee they said they could not give me a loan because my business had a bad month during Covid19 which was the month of March 2020. I then went to United Wholesale Mortgage, received a better interest rate because of my 740 FICO score. They were unable to use WF Desktop Appraisal, I have been asking WF to refund me my money and no one has responded. They keep sending me to different staff members. If you are a business owner I would not get a mortgage through WF. Go to UWM instead. I purchased my home in 2020 with no issues and got the lowest interest rate and less fees.

Original review: April 4, 2021

Wells Fargo sales agent took our call to purchase a house. I described the situation and he said fill out application. He knew it was a tough sell but promised the world. He blatantly lied when he said "I'll talk to the underwriter and see what we can do." He called back and said, "I have a loan for you." We started the process and it was a long process. He kept asking us to send form after form and we complied. He asked us for so many forms that we decided we were going to call and cancel. The Wells Fargo rep actually called while we were discussing canceling. He said "my supervisor and I can get you a FHA loan approved."

We submitted everything he wanted for this loan and all looked great. We had a loan estimate and the process moved to the loan processor. She wanted more forms and we submitted. She then asked if we wanted to pay for an appraisal or let the underwriter look at the loan first. We went with the appraisal order based on the knowledge that our mortgage rep had talked to the underwriter and also his supervisor said we would get this loan. What a mistake. Do not listen to the sales agents at Wells Fargo. Make sure the underwriter gives approval. I wish I could give a 0 star rating because of the lies. No, not because of the lies, but because he offered false hope and that is not right to do to anyone!

Original review: March 31, 2021

When I signed the terms and conditions for their mortgage forgiveness program they did not disclose that you could not pay off that amount until you paid the loan in its entirety. Now other lenders will not give their best loans base on you showing you have two outstanding balance. They will do nothing about it and now it is costing me money. Their terms and conditions are deceptive yet again after they have already lose lawsuits.

Original review: March 29, 2021

If you are trying to get a mortgage loan from them-please skip them! First off, it's important to know that their loan officers are commission-based. This means, they will sell you the world and tell you that you are in good hands, and will close accordingly on your house, when all of this is a LIE. My loan officer told me that he has reviewed everything with his supervisor AND the underwriting team, and that I should close on my loan on time.

To my surprise, he took my credit card and I never heard from him since. I came to find out LAST MINUTE, on the week of Thanksgiving, that we weren't closing. They dropped me just like that, without even notifying me. I had a hard time getting a hold of anyone there. The people on top were so rude and didn't even help. Thanks to them, I lost my property that I was going to purchase AND my money given to WellsFargo. They are quick to get your money and drop you. This incident has also happened to my friend. Please save your money, time, and energy, and go elsewhere if you truly want a professional service.

Original review: March 5, 2021

First let me say I am a WF customer, my previous mortgage was with WF, and we just refinanced. Although I got a great rate, it was the worst process ever. They messed up everything along the way. We had to scramble at the last minute to come up with cash that we were not told about till late in the process. Even then, I was completely uncomfortable about when my first payments were going to start etc. It took multiple phone calls to straighten everything out. If I had to do it again, I would look elsewhere.

Original review: March 4, 2021

It was an awful experience with the mortgage lender. They miscommunicated and blamed me the client. I had a closing date which was not met so threw off the moving and storage company costing me a premium. I provided all details when asked always the same day. The subsequent letters after complaint placed all blame on me. Absolutely horrendous experience and no customer focus.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Normally I don't like to do bad reviews but this 1 takes the cake. I been with this company for 11 years. I had my up and down with this company. But when there was an issue with payments they are not good. I had a representative of the company lied to me. Now this issue occurred 3X in a year. They offer Solutions to the problem but was unable to provide them due to the account being complicated. This company instead of fixing the problem or even trying to come up with a solution they bailed out on me. Be warned at this company. It's not in your best favor.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I currently have a home Mort, with Wells Fargo, 20+ years, I am buying a second home, I have Every account you can have in their bank, Checking, Savings, Retirement, Line of Credit, Credit cards, Debit cards, CD's, College funds, A LOT OF MONEY!!!! I asked for a Pre approval letter to give a Realtor, That's all, I should have gone Lending Tree, or anywhere else but here, No loyalty at all. NONE, I am treated like I have 5 dollars and am insufficient at that, Literally by some guy in another state that doesn't care, I had it to do over, REGIONS BANK, THEY TREATED ME THERE LIKE A PERSON, Did I say my credit was Excellent!!! Yes it is!!! If you Get Jake ** for your application, HANG UP!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

There are many brick and mortar locations where you can talk to someone in person if you have problems, questions or need to make changes. The website is easy to use and the company keeps you informed by mail and on the website.. The statement is easy to read.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I'm a first time home buyer and got my mortgage with Commerce Mtg and my loan was sold to WF. I wasn't properly notified due to some errors with my address and phone number so I kept making payments to commerce, ON TIME. Then, I find out that my FICO score went down so I do some investigation and find out my loan was sold. I reach out to commerce and ask for my money back so I can make payments to WF. Once received, I immediately make payments to WF. I have been making payments on time to WF for a year now. I have auto payments set up.

I still wanted to have my credit report fixed since it doesn't truly reflect my ability to repay debt and risk to lenders. Commerce was willing to help and get it removed from my record but WF refused to help me. I called multiple reps and chatted, everyone understands but no one has done anything. They kept asking me to mail something. I asked for call back and no one calls back. I hope other so called 'valuable customers' aren't treated as such.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

My current mortgage is with Wells Fargo (sold to them after closing 2+ years ago) and I have not had any issues because I pay my mortgage and I don't create any issues. I thought since my mortgage and main checking account is already with them, refinancing should not be an issue. I was wrong! I started the refinance process with them on September 22, 2020. My initial closing date was November 21, 2020. Today is January 6, 2021 and I still have not closed and I don't have a "real" closing date yet.

In the beginning I was told that I had an appraisal waiver and I would only have to pay a few hundred dollars in closing cost by the mortgage originator. He told me I would save over $500/month and my interest rate would be below 3%. When the loan went to underwriting, they asked for more documents and verifications than I had to provide when I originally purchased the home. At one point my file sat with underwriting for 3 weeks with no activity until I asked the processor what is going on. They asked for one additional document, then the loan was cleared to close. But, I had already missed my November 21st closing date.

So my next closing dates were December 4th and 8th. I was told that my closing costs would be $1700+ and my December mortgage was included in the loan. Then after emailing and calling them on the 4th I got a call from them at 2 pm and they said I couldn't close on the December 4th because my bank account didn't show that I had the $1700 in my account. But, I got paid on the 4th and I had over $3000 in my account that morning. Then my closing date was set for the 8th and my closing cost would be $500 and my December payment was still included in the loan. On December 8th instead of closing, I was given two options. Pay my December mortgage and my closing costs would be $2200+, or I could pay for an appraisal and wait to see if the value of my home comes back higher than what I guessed it was in the beginning to see if my closing cost could be lowered and I would still need to pay my December mortgage.

I refused to pay for an appraisal at this point. I paid my December mortgage and asked why would my closing cost go from $1700 to $500 to $2200 after paying my mortgage. No one ever told me why or explained what happened. Throughout all of that I never received a closing disclosure. I was given another close date of December 28th and today (January 6th) but didn't receive a closing disclosure or a closing amount. After over 3 months, it's January and the same song keeps playing... "We are going to get you closed. We are balancing and getting/waiting on final title fees." Worst mortgage experience ever!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I am a financial counselor. I like having full control of my money, how it is spent, how payments are sent etc. I recently got a new mortgage and ended up with Wells Fargo as my servicer. I HAVE ALWAYS HATED WELLS FARGO, they were terrible as a bank when I was in school and HAD TO use them for my on-campus transactions, they are terrible as creditors to my clients, they are horrible as mortgage servicers to my clients AND NOW ME. I DO NOT WANT TO SET UP AUTO WITHDRAWS WITH YOU ON THE PHONE. I shouldn't have to do that to pay my mortgage how I want to pay it!!! If I pay half of my mortgage biweekly to maximize my payments WHY CAN'T YOU APPLY THE PAYMENT AS SUCH unless YOU withdraw the money? NO, I WANT CONTROL OF MY MONEY AND MY BANK ACCOUNT PERIOD. If I could change servicers, I WOULD. If I had a choice on who my servicer was, it would not be WELLS FARGO!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Do not ever use Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Even though you might think you are saving money, they will cost you so much more in the long run. They are negligent about the process, take absolutely no accountability for their delays/actions, and clearly have no care for their customers. My settlement has been delayed twice now due to Wells Fargo not completing a loan process on their end. They realized on the day that closing documents were due they had forgotten to verify something on their end.

I called for hours and email numerous times, and no one could give me a straight update for over a day. After hours, they had an assistant call me saying the process was delayed again and I would not be able to settle on the delayed timeline. Still no response from any managers or my loan processor, only a half-excuse/apology from the manager of the team. Beyond negligent on a signed contract and just extremely unprofessional from any company. Take your business anywhere else; Wells Fargo has never and will never care about their customers, and their loan processors are too incompetent to even answer a phone call.

Wells Fargo Mortgage Company Information