2. Mortgages

Wells Fargo Mortgage

Wells Fargo Mortgage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5
Based on 1,569 ratings submitted in the last year

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Wells Fargo Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I chose to use Wells Fargo because I've been a customer for over 20 years. However, the incompetence in Salem Oregon is blatant and dangerous. Information going to the cloud, constant request for the same information, and supervisors that take no accountability.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Worst bank in the world. Because of covid-19 they are not Lending. They just want to take your money for fraudulent appraisal and credit application. This is how they make their money. Last minute they will deny you. There's nothing you can do about it. One person gets your application and then 10 other people on working on your application that you don't know who they are. They just keep passing your application to different people.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Updated on 10/30/2020: Complaint Description: Wells Fargo claimed in writing that they removed me from forbearance and that my mortgage statement is accurate. Both statements are lies. I received a response from a complaint I filed with Wells Fargo Home Mortgage today, 10.30.2020. They claimed in writing that they had already removed me from forbearance. This statement from WF is a lie.

I went to my online account and found I had not been removed. Then I called WFHM and a rep confirmed that I had not yet been removed. In another complaint I filed against Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, I requested a current and accurate mortgage statement due to the fact that my statements have not been accurate. Two mortgage payments that I've made have not been applied to my account. Today in the response from WF, they claimed that my statements were accurate. This is another lie. Apparently WF believes they can resolve a complaint by lying.

When I called WFHM today the rep could not explain to me why my 2 payments had not been applied. She then said she'd connect me with an executive but I was disconnected before I had a chance to speak with anyone. I called two more times and I was disconnected. The 3rd time I spoke with an executive but she also could not explain to me WHY my payments had not been applied. She then informed me that she would have to OPEN A CASE. So they have opened another case even though my other cases on these same issues have not been resolved by Wells Fargo.

This is all WF seems to do. They open a case, the customer waits, eventually WF responds, but they lie, nothing gets resolved, and another case is opened. Save yourself time, energy, and aggravation: Don't do business with Wells Fargo Home Mortgage unless you want to deal with lies, corruption, and deception. Choosing WFHM for a home mortgage is the worst mistake I've ever made.

Original Review: There is no doubt in my mind that Wells Fargo is a shady company who has set me up to take my house. I was OFFERED a loan modification program by Wells Fargo in early 2020. I received the loan modification paperwork around the time the pandemic started and the country was shut down. At that time, I was a teacher who was instructed to teach online for the remainder of the school. I had to get the loan mod paperwork notarized, but I am 65 with some health issues and was concerned about contracting the virus, so I asked Wells Fargo if I could get the paperwork notarized when there was no longer a pandemic, as at that time I thought the pandemic might be short-lived. WF assured me I could do it later, and to just keep making monthly payments. The pandemic didn't get better. I live between Philadelphia and Trenton, NJ, and numbers have been consistently bad here.

Every month when I called to make the payment (always being put on hold at least an hour or more before the payment could be made) I inquired if not getting the papers notarized could jeopardize the loan modification. Every single month I was told that it would not. When I called in August to make the payment, I was informed that I no longer had a loan modification with WF because the paperwork did not get notarized. I was shocked as WF had assured me each month that it could wait. I was given no warning whatsoever that they would do this. WF could have told me that I would lose the loan if the papers weren't notarized. I was NEVER told that. WF didn't have the decency to even contact me. I only found out about it because I asked about the loan mod when I made a payment. I received a letter from WF a week later informing the loan mod ended.

When I checked my mortgage statement, I discovered WF had added over $10,000 to my statement, and claimed the amount was overdue. Now the overdue amount is stated at over $9,5000, even though I made a payment every month. In August I requested that the case be reviewed in the executive office and although I was told I'd be given an answer in 10 days, it is now Oct. 7, and I'm still waiting. Every time I call the executive office I'm told something different. On Sept 24, I called the ex office and asked to speak with a supervisor. She advised me to get my original paperwork notarized ASAP and mail it to WF. I did that the following day. I called WF 2 days ago and they claimed they hadn't received the paperwork yet. I called the ex office today and spoke with a man who checked and told me they had received my paperwork.

He said he'd transfer me to the caseworker who could provide more info. When I spoke with her, she claimed FW had NOT received the paperwork. When I asked to speak with her supervisor, I was also told the paperwork did not arrive. I requested that she overnight me another copy of the paperwork so I could get the paperwork notarized again and this time I would get confirmation when they received it. She would not do it. I have a copy of the original notarized paperwork, but was told WF will not accept anything but the original copy. They won't allow me to fax or mail the notarized copy even though I had it notarized at a Wells Fargo Bank. Two days ago, I was told for the FIRST TIME that the loan mod would only be reinstated if the mortgage lender approved.

So why was I never told this previously, like every month when I called to make a payment and inquired about the papers being notarized? I firmly believe that Wells Fargo is incredibly dishonest when dealing with their customers. Wells Fargo also put me on a loan suspension program, even though I didn't ask to be placed on it and I haven't missed a payment. This is a program that has something to do with people losing their jobs due to the pandemic and it doesn't apply to me. I believe this entire fiasco has been a ploy to take my house. I would never recommend Wells Fargo to anyone and wish I had never done business with them. I had no idea they could be so corrupt.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Updated on 10/09/2020: I keep receiving calls, from Wells Fargo. But nobody gives me a full explanation of my denial reason. I deposit yearly $700,000.00 my income out of there is $180,651.00 yearly. From my business account I pay all of my personal and home expenses, which comes out close to $50,000.00 to $60,000.00. Still even with great credit, great income. Wells Fargo denied me a loan saying not enough assets. Current balance in my account is $85,000.00. They say not enough to pay $15,745.00 in closing costs and another $2,800.00 to complete the downpayment.

Somewhere their math is wrong. I had made it very clear from the beginning, that I had closed my personal account about a year and a half ago. They told me, "Don't worry. We will use your business account." And still they say I don't have enough assets, I own two properties out the country with a value close to $620,000.00 and have an account out of the country, will not say balance but a big one. Thanks Wells Fargo. I will be closing my accounts and take my business elsewhere, since I am no good for you. Fausto **

Original Review: I called Wells Fargo, applied for a mortgage, got a preapproval right away. Income and credit are great. After one month then I have to call in, to find out that I can't use my own money from business account. I stated clearly that I did not have a personal account that everything comes out of my business account. Was clearly told, "No problem. You have plenty of money in the bank." Then they tell me that I can not use my own money. Ridiculous. I been with them since 1991. Will close all my accounts.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

For the 3rd time since we got stuck with Wells Fargo Mortgage, they have taken a stipulated principal payment, an extra payment, and either misapplied it or not applied it and they refuse to give us credit on interest charged. We have always paid our monthly payment on time; it is automatically drawn on our checking account at another financial institution. We only physically go to Wells Fargo to make extra principal payments. The first time we made an extra payment, like months' worth of principal, they showed it as rec'd but did not apply it to the principal until we brought it to their attention. The second time, they applied it to the next payment, which wasn't even due, and applied the balance to the principal. This time, on September 2, 2020, they once again posted it to our account but did not apply ANY of it to the principal.

When I called them on it, they said it would be applied after our monthly payment was received and asked if I wanted to pay it while we were on the phone. I told them it was automatically paid from our bank and we were not making a duplicate payment. They already had money they were sitting on, not applying it to principal. They said they could not apply it to the principal until after the monthly payment was made. The monthly payment was made and I had to e-mail them and complain because the big payment we made was still sitting there.

That night they applied but not back to Sept. 2nd, they applied it on the 8th and it did not show up until the 9th of September. I asked for credit on the interest because they had had our "good money" payment since the 2nd. They REFUSED to give us credit. Once again, Wells Fargo Mortgage has earned their F rating. It should be F-. We had no choice in going with them; the loan processor company, Nova, sold it to them without any choice from us. This has been a disaster loan from the start. Why can't Wells Fargo clean up their act?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

The worst customer service. I avoided this company after they opened a fake credit card in my name but unfortunately they bought my mortgage note. The customer service is so bad I would never ever open a bank account, mortgage, or any other financial product. If you do business with them because you choose to (if they do not buy out your mortgage note) then you deserve the bad service you get from a national company built upon liars and cheaters.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Only good at stealing money. They are in bed with the FED, and will screw you out of a good loan with the JPMChase. Both were same rates, it is a scam! I know they are only interested in large loans, so they can rip people off!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Do not deal with this company. They do backhanded deals and my 30 yr mortgage turned into a 45 year mortgage. They lie to their customers and cheat them. When you call to talk to someone they put you on hold forever. Paying on mortgage yet my loan amount keeps increasing each month and they say they have no idea about it yet they are the ones reporting it to the credit bureau. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Ok, I’ve felt with Wells Fargo before it was not a good experience. Now by no choice of my own, my mortgage was sold to Wells Fargo. I would have never chosen them. But so far it’s been pretty good, no issues yet.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Got completely to the closing week and was told 2 days before closing they could not verify my employment, this was after 3 weeks of giving every doc they asked for. Lost the house. My credit rating 802.

Wells Fargo Mortgage Company Information