Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.86/5

TaxAct is a software program that helps you file your state and federal taxes. The software provides step-by-step guidance for preparing your tax return, whether you are filing a basic federal return or are a self-employed user looking to get all the deductions for which you qualify.

TaxAct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

Original review: April 21, 2020

This software is a scam. You spend an hour or more preparing your return and when you go to e-file they start stacking fees until they are more expensive than paying for any other service! Beware. They are literally the worst!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I've used TaxACT for several years. It's been easy, and the fees were very reasonable. I could usually file state and federal, with self-employment income, for $100 or less, including Audit Defense. Come 2020, I complete entering all my 2019 info only to discover that if you have any 1099's at all -- even if it's 2% of your income, and even if you have zero investment income, rental properties, etc, or anything complicated, the greedy execs at TaxACT have decided you need to use their most expensive tier of service. Filing this year with TaxACT would have cost me north of $200. As a result, I'll be re-doing my taxes elsewhere with a more honest company. Their fee hike on freelancers is gross and cynical, and it's lost them this previously very happy customer -- and I hope many more to follow. SUMMARY: If you have even $5 of self-/side-employment income to report, AVOID TaxACT and look somewhere else!

Original review: April 13, 2020

I used the most expensive version. The software let me skip an important form. I ran into a problem: the form I needed was partially hidden and uneditable. Reaching a human being on the phone (or via chat) was impossible and the automatic responding system could only provide standard information. I tried via email, stating that I already tried solving the problem by using different browsers, and the suggestion was to try with different browsers...

Original review: April 10, 2020

I have been using Tax Act online for more than 5 years because it's easy to use as it gathers prior year's forms and information. The first few years it actually was free, but started charging fees, that I thought were reasonable until this year, when fees almost tripled as they want $109 (+sales tax) for a simple home business return. I won't be using the next year.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I have been trying and trying to log in to their site to get last year's taxes. But when I try the security question, it was one I didn't answer last year. I chatted with one of the reps who told me to wait 15 minutes and a different question should come up. I have tried no less than 5 times on two different days, and it is the same question. Now I can't even get someone connected on the chat and no one answers the customer service phone number. I get that this is a busy time, but because they do not seem to know how to build a proper website, I feel they are willfully keeping me from getting my own tax forms. I will never use them again.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I used this site to do a friend's taxes for 2019. I told him it advertised that it's free. They wound up charging me $59.35 twice on my card. I've been using CreditKarma for my taxes. It's a much better site. Couldn't set up an account for my friend on CreditKarma because I didn't have enough personal info to do it (he doesn't have a computer). I will never use this site again. Would not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I have used TaxACT for many years and it has slowly got more and more expensive. They don't let you know how much it is going to cost until you finish loading all your information. I have a very simple tax return as I am retired. $120 is what I had to pay to use their software. Begrudgingly I paid it because I had already done the work. I made a note on my tax return so that I would not forget to not use this rip-off software again.

Original review: April 1, 2020

2019 was the 2nd year I used Tax Act for my return. 2018 seemed to be fine. The software was fairly intuitive and I'm assuming accurate. 2019 was a different story. I submitted my return prepared by Tax Act but soon discovered that some qualifying questions were so misleading that an elderly parent living with me was assumed to be a dependent. When that parent filed, his return was rejected by the IRS because I had mistakenly claimed him as a dependent.

I immediately went back to TaxAct to file an amended 1040X which went totally bananas and calculated that I should get 3 times the amount of my previous refund. I called TaxAct customer Service to get some help. A recording told me that they unable to handle my call due to volume. and essentially left me hanging. This immediately threw up a red flag regarding their capabilities. I took my return to a well-known nationwide established Tax preparing company I've used in the past and they corrected my return for a fee of course. So I spent twice as much for a correct return this year. Learned my lesson. I will not use TaxAct again.

Original review: March 31, 2020

We finished our fed and local tax returns and wanted to e-file. When we were finishing and the app wanted us to "review" the returns for errors, the app told us that we had to include a form 1095-A from our health care providers. We never got a 1095-A from the providers. We called our providers and were told that, since we are retired, our records were to be recorded on 1095-B. However, they also said that only ** keeps those records. When we called Medicare we were told that Medicare NO LONGER uses those forms for filing returns, and if we wanted them nonetheless, we'd have to wait a month or more to get them.

So TaxACT's application is obsolete or flawed. We cannot e-file because the program refuses to allow us to do so without getting a form that the Feds and the state NO LONGER USE. Our only alternative is to mail the completed (as is) returns. As of now, TaxACT does not answer customer service calls, so I cannot rectify this issue directly with TaxACT. Do NOT use TaxACT if you want a fair exchange for your dollar. From personal experience, they do not hold up their end of the bargain.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I have used TaxAct for years, and it always went well. This year they added hidden fees and constant "upgrades" and ads for other "offers". I ended up paying nearly $200 to file. It made me upgrade to add state return, then charged again to print that state return. Their chat feature on the site "timed out" after just a minute and tried to send me to their "support page to get answers from the community of users". After I finished my return, I went to print my federal return because it wanted to charge an addition $60 "service fee" to use my credit card. When I logged in on another computer, my return was GONE!!

After a lot of time I figured out that if I logged in under my "username" or under my email, it was different, even though they are both a single account. Their service sucks, their prices are ridiculous. I will never use them again. I hope every customer leaves them permanently and they go under because this company is NOT a good one anymore.

TaxAct Company Information