3.8/5 (596 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About TaxAct

TaxAct is a software program that helps you file your state and federal taxes. The software provides step-by-step guidance for preparing your tax return, whether you are filing a basic federal return or are a self-employed user looking to get all the deductions for which you qualify.

Pros

• Accuracy and max-refund guarantees
  • Variety of helpful tools
  • More affordable than other programs

Cons

• Fees for state returns
  • Less accessible customer service

Bottom Line

TaxAct is tax-filing software that guides you through tax preparation with a question and answer format. It lacks the frills of some other tax software, but it also offers a lower price point.

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

TaxAct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

TaxAct is providing incomplete software for tax purposes. It's messing up your tax return and pulling the wrong numbers. The representatives and tax advisors they have are not knowledgeable people. They trying to explain why the errors in the software are the correct way to go when the state law on return has another rule on this. They charge the money for the services they can not provide. It has to be illegal for them to be in the business.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Their software completely ignored the fact that I paid county taxes last year and TaxAct caused me to pay those taxes all over again, when I was supposed to get a refund for actually overpaying. Then, when I spoke to customer service they made no mention of their "Guaranteed Accuracy" claim and instead suggested I file an amended return. They couldn't even tell me where to make an amendment specifically, I had to pay another tax service to find TaxAct's mistake. I also had to search for how to submit a claim since they were so oblivious.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I will never use this sneaky service again!!! How about pricing UPFRONT!! Then this site saved my credit card information AS IF I'LL EVER RETURN. This is not worth it to me. I'll pay next year for a much better service!!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

TaxAct got top reviews on Google. So I spent hours doing my simple, single, return for FREE, but it would not let me state that N.H. has no income tax so impossible to proceed to the 'submit Federal return' button. Then it changed my standard deduction to itemized deductions that I could not uncheck, which made me now OWE $$. The 'Back" button is useless. You're stuck on a page that requires payment. NEVER USE TAXACT!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Spent hours entering my data on TaxAct online, only to be told at the very end: "This return includes the following form(s) that were not available when this program was released: Form 1116 - Foreign Tax Credit. The final form(s) will be included in a TaxAct program release soon. If you'd like to receive notification when the form(s) is available, click here. You will NOT be able to complete filing this return until this form is available in the program." And yet, if you search TaxAct for what forms are and are not available, it shows that Form 1116 IS available.

Moreover, in order to write to Taxact, you have to fill out a form called "Taxact Product Suggestion." On that webpage, it says, "Note: If you desire a response, please use our Support Request Form" with a link to that form. That link brings you to a toll-free number, and there is no support request form whatsoever. So if you have tax issues that involve anything more than a simple 1040, save your time and money and find another online service.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I've been using Taxact for several years now. I efiled my tax return on April 14, 2021. It is now July 12, 2021, 3 months later, and I still have not received my return. When I contacted the IRS they said it was delayed because I entered a rebate amount in line 30 of my tax return. I did not. I entered the correct amounts of stimulus I received in both boxes and taxact somehow calculated I was owed additional money and put an amount into the rebate box. I've found that several tax prep companies have the same issue with their software.

I've tried contacting taxact but have gotten no assistance. They send me automated responses that have absolutely nothing to do with my problem. I reply to every email saying it was of no assistance and to please give an actual solution, and they send another automated response of no use. This just goes on and on. I'm pissed.

I'm a single mother of 3 and desperately need that money to keep my head above water. On top of that, I paid to have "professionals" assist me with my taxes and instead wind up waiting months for the money I worked all year to earn. It's absolutely infuriating!! I can assure you I will NOT be using their service in the years to come. Aside from creating errors on my return, they don't even have the decency to respond with apologies or solutions. They couldn't care less about their customers. Thanks taxact! 3 months and counting...

Original review: June 14, 2021

I switched from TurboTax to TaxAct, this year. It was very to fill out. I am self employed so I wasn't sure what to do. I filled my taxes no problem, but I haven't received my refund. I CAN'T track it because I'm self employed. Their website says it takes like 21 days to receive your refund. It has been 3 months. I'm thinking I should have stayed with turbo tax.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I have used the paid version of Taxact before with acceptable results. This year, I tried to assist my mom with her very simple tax return and it looked like the free version would work. I got through all the data entry but forgot to enter her estimated state tax payments for the year. When I did this, Taxact demanded about $50 to upgrade to a paid version and would not even allow me to review her data or look at the 1040 preview form anymore. This is unfair and I lost all the time entering her data. I ultimately switched to a truly free tax program for Federal and did her very simple state taxes the old fashioned way, with paper. Nobody from Taxact ever tried to help me with this and I don't plan on using them ever again after this bad experience, even paid versions.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I had been using TaxAct for more than 6 years. I always have had good experiences until this year. I had 2 problems, neither has been resolved. The first is more of an IRS issue where I had to file an amended return and the IRS has yet to even acknowledge it so what they think I owe is very different than what I really owe. However, TaxAct's "expert" Audit Protection Service didn't even understand the IRS rules around one of the line items (I actually educated them on the topic by pointing them to an IRS publication!). They (or I should say, we) crafted a letter to the IRS for follow-up; I'm not sure when it will be acknowledged.

The second is a true bait-n-switch on their Refer-A-Friend program. The terms that are currently stated on their website are very clear: "A 'new' TaxAct customer refers to anyone who did not file with TaxAct in the previous tax year." With that being said, the PREVIOUS year refers to 2019. I referred my son this year to file his 2020 taxes; he did file with TaxAct in 2018 and previous years but filed them himself in 2019.

After following up with TaxAct since they never sent the referral bonus, I received an email from Amanda in their Support Department and I quote, "Unfortunately the referral reward was declined as it was determined the referred friend has already been a TaxAct customer in 2018, 2017 and prior years. The purpose of the Refer-A-Friend program is to recruit new customers who have never heard of TaxAct or who have never used our services, that includes last year, but not limited to the year prior. I will put in a request to review the language used on our help pages to indicate a more accurate description of eligibility for the new customers recruited with the Refer-A-Friend program."

Regardless of what they think is the Refer-A-Friend "purpose", the terms that are CURRENTLY stated on their website are very clear and should be honored. Amanda chose not to honor them and ignored further follow-up attempts; classic bait-switch. I am definitely done with TaxAct.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I/we have used TaxAct to e-file our tax returns since before 2015. This year, for the 2020 return, I selected TAXACT free e-file through the IRS portal. Of course, since I was already registered with TAXACT, it asked for our logon credentials. We have a very, very, very, simple return, as simple as can be, but, still, it takes hours to gather everything you need, go to various sites to get information, and complete the return. After all of that, without saying anything about price until both the Fed and State returns were ready to be submitted, with full refund of our withholding on both, TAXACT said it would cost $124.90. Previously, for the years I can still see, it was $37, $29.95, $29.95, and $79.95. That secretive pricing policy, with no upfront information, is a pure scam!!!! & good luck trying to get ahold of anyone at TAXACT. I emailed them, with no reply, and when I started CHAT, I was at 59 minutes!!!!

Original review: April 13, 2021

I've used TaxAct since 2008, but now have no choice but to find someone else. Their site is insanely glitchy, you can't amend your returns, the screen are locked and navigation is glitched. They do have customer support...for $50! LOL besides that no actual customer support...not even an overseas helpdesk. LOL corporate frauds! Whatever, this is America what do you expect? This is crazy since their prices have skyrocketed. The price tag of ~$30 turned out to be ~$200. They add in hidden fees and filing charges at the end. Complete SCAM!

Original review: April 6, 2021

I had to call my bank and dispute charges for fraudulent charges. I am now going to report them to the BBB. No one will answer your call at customer service. This is a scam!! This website switched me over to the deluxe service without my permission, which is only a rip off.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I did tax prep professionally for 13 yrs, and then brought clients to my home and started using TaxAct. I found it as competent as my pro-software (H&RB) But the past 4 yrs, the prices have skyrocketed, and the past two years I had odd nonsense "red-alerts" that prevented me from e-filing the returns, and the 'bug' was trying to say I needed to file forms in a more expen$ive version!! That is totally untrue. Support is pretty much non-existent, too! Time to find another program.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I used TaxAct for 2019 and prior years’ taxes. It’s not the most user-friendly software, and like TurboTax, they began overcharging a couple of years ago. I continued because I wanted the ease of importing the previous year’s information. HOWEVER, I just tried to do my 2020 taxes. THEY HAVE NOT EVEN BOTHERED TO UPDATE THEIR SOFTWARE TO INCORPORATE CARES ACT BENEFITS. BIG THUMBS DOWN. I switched to another program (not TurboTax), which I guess I shouldn’t share in this review. It was much cheaper, way easier to use, and most importantly, it did have CARES Act benefits incorporated.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I signed up for the free version of TaxAct for my 2020 tax returns. I spent about 2 hours completing the federal and state return and it was clear that a small fee is added to file the state return. Then, after sinking in your time and reaching the final step for submitting federal and state taxes, surprise, "the deluxe version is needed for your returns" which costed a total of $100, why? Because I had very common student loan interest payments. I switched over to ezTaxReturn and not only was it a faster process and resulted in the same exact return amount, the federal filing was 100% free and the state filing only cost <$30. Sleazy move, TaxAct. They know that people spend much time preparing their taxes and don't enjoy it and they take advantage of that by surprising you with hidden costs. Don't support these kinds of companies when there are many fair alternatives. exTaxReturn was so much more transparent and even easier to use.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Limited archiving for previous years. Limited details when pulling old information from previous years. Overall helpful information when filing taxes, but a few more explanations or examples would be helpful.

Original review: March 7, 2021

It's not a bad tax service. Takes you step by step whatever tax forms you use. They ask you question after question to make sure you are getting every tax break possible. I have been using them for around 5 years and always get the return they say I will.

Original review: March 6, 2021

You need to be extremely careful to review all entries when importing from prior years as it does not always guide you into reviewing. Also the response to questions/issues/problems is extremely slow and often does not actually solve issue.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Expensive this year. Cost over 100.00 to complete federal and state tax forms. I do like that my info is saved with them. I have been using TaxAct for years and never have any complaints. I just don't recall the fees being so high.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Before starting my taxes I was told It cost me $20 some for the program I needed. In the initial start up I could get to open my tax forms. Was talking to a tech about the problem with no progress (not toll free). After a few days I tried and eventually was able to got to enter my data. They must have fixed something. Finally got my forms filled out. Quite a chore. Got to the billing section. The lie came out. The bill showed up at $75.50. They did give me early sign up price plus they charged me for the prime version and I suppose be using the deluxe version. Tried to call but would a wait time about an hour not toll free. What a rip off. Goodbye TAXACT. Oh yeah, I've been Taxact about 15 years.

Original review: March 4, 2021

I use to professional version and have for over 20 years. Highly recommend! Their customer service is top notch. They are prompt to return phone calls and answer any tax or software issues that may come up.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I have been using TaxAct software for over 6 years, since 2014. I have been pleased with ease of use and the desired outcome the software. I have used it for both Federal and State returns and have had no errors. I have also used the TaxAct program to prepare an amended return, due in no fault to the software.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Because I had a 1099-NEC and had to fill-out a 8949 (according to Tax Act), I could not complete my tax return and was told I needed to purchase the Deluxe Version of their software to take care of the 1099-NEC and to fill-out the IRS Form 8949. I could NOT fill-out the 8949 with all my required information and was informed (AFTER I paid the $64.95), that I would have to print out my return and mail it in!! Unbelievable. So, I paid $65 for a tax software version that would not allow me to completely fill out a required form, and since I had no access to a scanner, I was forced to mail in my return. What a RIP-OFF. Beware using these liars. They will promise you stuff and AFTER you pay, leave you hanging! Oh, and I just received a request from TaxAct to "review" them, and since my review was NOT a positive one, they decided it did not meet their "review requirements", and would not publish it. Really?? So, you only publish the good reviews you get??

Original review: March 2, 2021

After 10 years of use, TaxAct has proved to be a solid and efficient software. The price is less than the others and still offers the same services. The process is streamlined and the prompts are easy to follow, especially with investments and a rental property. After gathering your paperwork and info, it takes a few hours. It has itemization and educational tools and "Xpert" help if you have a question. Audit protection is extra. I'll continue with Tax Act until I need to hire tax professional.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I have used TaxAct the past couple of years in order to file both my state and federal taxes without any problems whatsoever. When they say they are able to file the most accurate return, they mean it. I say that because they allow more options to choose from when it comes to deductions, for instance, when filing. The platform as a whole is simple to use and the pricing options are quite fair, as well. You can save even more, (20% off the cost of your federal filing), when you visit their website via the following link: https://refer.taxact.com/s/**.

Original review: March 1, 2021

This program is simple to use, and free because I just use it to check my hand done returns. It seems to catch any mistakes and omissions so I just keep restarting it until I get it right. If I really need it, I can opt for the pay-for version and file that way but have not had to do that as yet.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I have used TaxAct for about 10 years now. My taxes have grown more complex since I started, with me now needing to use their small business package. Once I have all my tax documents, I typically sit down one evening and walk through the process on TaxAct's website (it's browser-based so you don't need to download any software). It usually takes me 45 min. - 1 hr. to complete, which includes multiple reviews and checks (both by myself and flags that TaxAct brings up to review). I've been really pleased with it and like that I can easily download a copy of my completed form at the end, which I keep for my records. I decided to first try TaxAct when I went to a major tax preparing company and it cost about $250 for the person to sit there and ask me questions and they enter it into their computer. I can save a lot of time and money by just having TaxAct ask me the questions and I fill it in accordingly. Really, really easy to use.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Very easy to use, covers all issues needed. No problem submitting information...even transferred last year's info to 2021 filling tax info which saved lots of time. Definitely better than other tax services I’ve used.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've used TaxAct for 4 years and found it annoying to have to use the online version on my Mac when my Windows laptop was stolen. The program was hard to use, and although they charged me a higher premium every year for a version that allowed me to input Schedules C, D, and E (for K-1s), they never made it easy to download the data, even though I have accounts at national firms like Schwab and Merrill. It's a tedious process to convert everything to a CVS file and then, the column headers are always off and you have to correct as many errors as you gains which -- for anyone who does options -- is a lot of errors, especially since they always put the option premiums in the wrong column.

It is also a clumsy interface for anyone who wants to go directly to a form and either check that form or fill it out. I could never figure out how to print just one form instead of a pdf of the whole, and to get to that pdf stage, you have to go through the review. Every year at the end of tax season I'd promise myself, "Never again," but then I'd end up using it for one reason or another (cost/availability/not wishing to have to re-enter all the depreciation data from real estate). This year I finally made the break and feel relieved. The one good thing, and the reason I gave it two stars, is that the program does allow you to pick up where you left off, go to a menu to revisit a topic you've previously covered, and their customer support does respond to emails and phone calls. That's a rarity these days.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Good service. Very complete step by step instructions. Last year's data transfers over so you do not have to reenter everything. Priced reasonably. The only complaint is they do not yet have all the major stock brokerages signed up to transfer personal data over so you don't have to manually add it.

TaxAct Company Information