Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

TaxAct is a software program that helps you file your state and federal taxes. The software provides step-by-step guidance for preparing your tax return, whether you are filing a basic federal return or are a self-employed user looking to get all the deductions for which you qualify.

TaxAct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

Original review: March 25, 2021

I used TaxAct for 2019 and prior years’ taxes. It’s not the most user-friendly software, and like TurboTax, they began overcharging a couple of years ago. I continued because I wanted the ease of importing the previous year’s information. HOWEVER, I just tried to do my 2020 taxes. THEY HAVE NOT EVEN BOTHERED TO UPDATE THEIR SOFTWARE TO INCORPORATE CARES ACT BENEFITS. BIG THUMBS DOWN. I switched to another program (not TurboTax), which I guess I shouldn’t share in this review. It was much cheaper, way easier to use, and most importantly, it did have CARES Act benefits incorporated.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I signed up for the free version of TaxAct for my 2020 tax returns. I spent about 2 hours completing the federal and state return and it was clear that a small fee is added to file the state return. Then, after sinking in your time and reaching the final step for submitting federal and state taxes, surprise, "the deluxe version is needed for your returns" which costed a total of $100, why? Because I had very common student loan interest payments. I switched over to ezTaxReturn and not only was it a faster process and resulted in the same exact return amount, the federal filing was 100% free and the state filing only cost <$30. Sleazy move, TaxAct. They know that people spend much time preparing their taxes and don't enjoy it and they take advantage of that by surprising you with hidden costs. Don't support these kinds of companies when there are many fair alternatives. exTaxReturn was so much more transparent and even easier to use.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Limited archiving for previous years. Limited details when pulling old information from previous years. Overall helpful information when filing taxes, but a few more explanations or examples would be helpful.

Original review: March 7, 2021

It's not a bad tax service. Takes you step by step whatever tax forms you use. They ask you question after question to make sure you are getting every tax break possible. I have been using them for around 5 years and always get the return they say I will.

Original review: March 6, 2021

You need to be extremely careful to review all entries when importing from prior years as it does not always guide you into reviewing. Also the response to questions/issues/problems is extremely slow and often does not actually solve issue.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Expensive this year. Cost over 100.00 to complete federal and state tax forms. I do like that my info is saved with them. I have been using TaxAct for years and never have any complaints. I just don't recall the fees being so high.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Before starting my taxes I was told It cost me $20 some for the program I needed. In the initial start up I could get to open my tax forms. Was talking to a tech about the problem with no progress (not toll free). After a few days I tried and eventually was able to got to enter my data. They must have fixed something. Finally got my forms filled out. Quite a chore. Got to the billing section. The lie came out. The bill showed up at $75.50. They did give me early sign up price plus they charged me for the prime version and I suppose be using the deluxe version. Tried to call but would a wait time about an hour not toll free. What a rip off. Goodbye TAXACT. Oh yeah, I've been Taxact about 15 years.

Original review: March 4, 2021

I use to professional version and have for over 20 years. Highly recommend! Their customer service is top notch. They are prompt to return phone calls and answer any tax or software issues that may come up.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I have been using TaxAct software for over 6 years, since 2014. I have been pleased with ease of use and the desired outcome the software. I have used it for both Federal and State returns and have had no errors. I have also used the TaxAct program to prepare an amended return, due in no fault to the software.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Because I had a 1099-NEC and had to fill-out a 8949 (according to Tax Act), I could not complete my tax return and was told I needed to purchase the Deluxe Version of their software to take care of the 1099-NEC and to fill-out the IRS Form 8949. I could NOT fill-out the 8949 with all my required information and was informed (AFTER I paid the $64.95), that I would have to print out my return and mail it in!! Unbelievable. So, I paid $65 for a tax software version that would not allow me to completely fill out a required form, and since I had no access to a scanner, I was forced to mail in my return. What a RIP-OFF. Beware using these liars. They will promise you stuff and AFTER you pay, leave you hanging! Oh, and I just received a request from TaxAct to "review" them, and since my review was NOT a positive one, they decided it did not meet their "review requirements", and would not publish it. Really?? So, you only publish the good reviews you get??

TaxAct Company Information