3.9/5 (666 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About TaxAct

TaxAct is a software program that helps you file your state and federal taxes. The software provides step-by-step guidance for preparing your tax return, whether you are filing a basic federal return or are a self-employed user looking to get all the deductions for which you qualify.

Pros

• Accuracy and max-refund guarantees
  • Variety of helpful tools
  • More affordable than other programs

Cons

• Fees for state returns
  • Less accessible customer service

Bottom Line

TaxAct is tax-filing software that guides you through tax preparation with a question and answer format. It lacks the frills of some other tax software, but it also offers a lower price point.

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

TaxAct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxAct?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

First time using TAXACT, at first it seems that it was going the right way, then towards the end it reads that there is a couple of errors. I checked everything and I didn’t see anything. Tried to call and they want to charge $50 and I couldn’t get through. I haven’t been able to send the Efile yet but they are charging me for the the filing. Not a good experience. Still trying to fix the issue.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I have used TaxAct for several years without a problem; do just the basic return. Nothing to claim; nothing special about it. But this year, when I tried to finalize it, they said I needed to upgrade. I did it FOUR TIMES and they kept trying to charge me. Nothing was different from this year than previous years. I was so angry and frustrated that I gave up and upgraded. My return is small this year (due to stimulus checks) but they took not only the upgrade cost but another hidden fee that popped up at the very end. Ended up losing HALF MY RETURN. I will never use them again. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

They aren't transparent about all the things you're going to need in order to file your tax return electronically with them... You don't find that information out until you've done all the work and paid the fee and then if you don't have your AGI or a password or a bunch of other things then you can't do it!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I have used TaxAct.com to prepare and file my returns for the last 4 years. It's an easy to use application that has gotten even easier each year. I have a complicated return that is made so much easier using this site. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the fees have gone up quite a bit since last year. My return cost so much more than I expected with one fee after another.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Updated on 2/2/2021: Need to revise my previous review referring with problems downloading State Program with desktop software. Problem not resolved yet but they do answer their telephone and I am hopeful issue will be resolved. Previous problem with telephone was on my end.

Original review: Downloaded 2020 Premium with difficulty but it is working. Can't log on to website to download state which is included in price. Website requires cell phone to enter code but still can't verify account and allow download. No technical support is available. Their telephone number doesn't even dial, they do not reply to emails, and there is no chat. Have used Taxact successfully for many years, but this website failure, lack of support, and greatly increased price, have me looking for alternatives.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Like others who have reviewed this company I agree with the outrageous fees. I have only used the free version of Tax Act with no issues in the past. This year because Turbo Tax won't work on Windows 7 I decided to give them a try. They deceive you with a $29.95 price and then if you want the state charge you another $40. I don't know why many of the professional sites say they are cheaper than Turbo Tax. Turbo Tax always offers discounts making the software $39.00 including the state. They also do not charge the outrageous fee of $49 to to use the refund to pay their fee.

It probably would have cost me about $50-$60 for Turbo Tax but has cost me over $100 with Tax Act. Of course they suck you in because you have spent maybe a couple of hours filling out the forms on their software before you get notified of their fees. You are so tired by that time you say "what the heck" and just pay. I guess that's what they figure. Well like other have said. Enjoy your bonus this year because I will never use them again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

The state of TN doesn't have a state tax and even though the program said I didn't need to file a state return, it automatically charged for the state return along with the federal return. It also did this on my sons return but was able to stop before the payment and used another tax program.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Ended up owing more money all because my w2s were missing which during finale review showed every w2 correctly then bam irs hits me with a overpayment bill with interest. So from here on out I suggest to just file at irs.com and your state revenue department.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

They now require a mobile phone, but I don't have a mobile number. The process to authenticate the account doesn't work -- it gives nonsensical options for the authenticating questions. I've tried to get help for 19 days. The only two responses I've received have been useless. I have two accounts, and the authentication process is completely inappropriate for one of the accounts. They claim to have changed the process because of IRS requirements, but the execution has been poor and they do not seem to be interested in helping.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

DO NOT USE BUSINESS TAXACT. TaxAct admits if cell phone number changes after registration, ACCESS TO ALL DATA IS LOST and no plans to fix! A new acct has to be created. All prior year data that rolls forward must be entered from scratch.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I ordered their 2020 software. I am a long term customer. I tried to download the preview edition and my login was refused. They insist on a mobile phone number and I do not have a mobile phone and do not need a mobile phone. Attempts to reach customer service give me a canned reply that also fails due to insisting on a mobile phone number. This company discriminates against those customers not having a mobile phone as do many other websites.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

This is a junk tax site. They changed how they verify user. It used to be email, now it is mobile. I had to change my number and this site does not have my updated number. I had to get a new number. So when they are verifying you, they send code to a mobile and I do not have access to the old number. I tried calling their support line, it redirects to website and when I open support ticket, there is no response even I explained them over and over what happened.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

This used to be the best service around after TaxSlayer went goofy. Well nix that!! TaxAct is now ungodly expensive and their cruddy software refused to file my return...then it filed TWICE!! It was totally their fault. You can end up filing multiple times...no warning and no way to protect yourself from this laggy glitchy ** filing problem. I CALLED TAXACT AND THEY AREN'T EVEN THERE!! YUP... nobody's home. They had a storm. Nobody's answering the damn phone. So I emailed. They send me a clueless message about some stimulus check. Bottom line...Now I have to paper file my taxes!! They suck. They should be helping with all of this!! Not cool. Never again, TaxAct...ever.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Don't know what the hell TaxAct was thinking this year. They raised prices by a huge amount this year - would have been $140 to file vs. maybe 80-90 last year and 60-70 the year before. Almost doubling the price in two years is crazy for something that hasn't really gotten much better. TaxAct used to be a good mid-range online tax service that wasn't the best but was a good value. No more -- I switched to H&R Block. It was less than half the price through Amazon and frankly its easier to use with slightly less obtuse explanations. It also went a little bit faster because of the better import tools. Wish I had switched last year but had years of history with TaxAct already.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I've used Tax Act for years, ignoring the problems in navigating the site, because it was reasonable. But this year they changed the pricing, and most importantly they didn't tell me the price until I was ready to file. The price more than doubled from last year (from $60ish to $140) for the same type of return. When I complained, they refunded $25 to me (after initially offering $15). This will be my last year with them. Honestly, it would also be less confusing if I do them by hand, like I used to do!

Original review: June 17, 2020

I have downloaded the TaxAct program for many years without an issue. The download version is now too expensive, so I decided to use the online version to file. After completing the form, I discovered that there was an error in the calculation of total deductions. About a dozen attempts to reach customer service were automatically ended following an automated message that stated that due to the high call volume they couldn't take the call.

After finally reaching someone, he put me on hold for several minutes while he researched the issue. At around 7:05pm Eastern Time the gentleman took me off hold to tell me that there was some type of calculation error (yes, that's why I called) possibly related to a limitation but he could not investigate this further because they are now closed and that I have to call back tomorrow to get someone to help. Understanding that the problem may not be simple and requires more research than he could perform with me on the phone since they are now closing, when I asked if he could look into this tomorrow when he returns back to work and get back to me, his response was "No that is not possible" and he just hung up! Very unprofessional!

Original review: May 15, 2020

Taxact used to be an easy reliable program to use, This year it was about impossible. I'm self-employed and had a very hard time finding where I needed to input my info, Such as I got all the way to the end of the federal and I was never offered to input my work mileage. I spent over 2 hrs trying to track that and other sections. Very confusing program now. I finally quit and went to Turbotax, completed and filed my federal and state taxes in 30 minutes. Tried Taxact one more time for my Girlfriend's taxes where the only input needed was her income, mortgage interest, HSA and property taxes. Same results, It was all over the place, 45 Mins. Quit and used Turbo. Complete in 20 minutes.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Advertises that they file independent contractors' taxes for no fee. But after they take your private info you suddenly discover partway into the process that there is no Schedule C form to itemize business expenses. So in fact they do not provide filing services for independent contractors. I believe they call the old "bait and switch," a fully illegal practice.

Original review: April 21, 2020

This software is a scam. You spend an hour or more preparing your return and when you go to e-file they start stacking fees until they are more expensive than paying for any other service! Beware. They are literally the worst!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I've used TaxACT for several years. It's been easy, and the fees were very reasonable. I could usually file state and federal, with self-employment income, for $100 or less, including Audit Defense. Come 2020, I complete entering all my 2019 info only to discover that if you have any 1099's at all -- even if it's 2% of your income, and even if you have zero investment income, rental properties, etc, or anything complicated, the greedy execs at TaxACT have decided you need to use their most expensive tier of service. Filing this year with TaxACT would have cost me north of $200. As a result, I'll be re-doing my taxes elsewhere with a more honest company. Their fee hike on freelancers is gross and cynical, and it's lost them this previously very happy customer -- and I hope many more to follow. SUMMARY: If you have even $5 of self-/side-employment income to report, AVOID TaxACT and look somewhere else!

Original review: April 13, 2020

I used the most expensive version. The software let me skip an important form. I ran into a problem: the form I needed was partially hidden and uneditable. Reaching a human being on the phone (or via chat) was impossible and the automatic responding system could only provide standard information. I tried via email, stating that I already tried solving the problem by using different browsers, and the suggestion was to try with different browsers...

Original review: April 10, 2020

I have been using Tax Act online for more than 5 years because it's easy to use as it gathers prior year's forms and information. The first few years it actually was free, but started charging fees, that I thought were reasonable until this year, when fees almost tripled as they want $109 (+sales tax) for a simple home business return. I won't be using the next year.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I have been trying and trying to log in to their site to get last year's taxes. But when I try the security question, it was one I didn't answer last year. I chatted with one of the reps who told me to wait 15 minutes and a different question should come up. I have tried no less than 5 times on two different days, and it is the same question. Now I can't even get someone connected on the chat and no one answers the customer service phone number. I get that this is a busy time, but because they do not seem to know how to build a proper website, I feel they are willfully keeping me from getting my own tax forms. I will never use them again.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I used this site to do a friend's taxes for 2019. I told him it advertised that it's free. They wound up charging me $59.35 twice on my card. I've been using CreditKarma for my taxes. It's a much better site. Couldn't set up an account for my friend on CreditKarma because I didn't have enough personal info to do it (he doesn't have a computer). I will never use this site again. Would not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I have used TaxACT for many years and it has slowly got more and more expensive. They don't let you know how much it is going to cost until you finish loading all your information. I have a very simple tax return as I am retired. $120 is what I had to pay to use their software. Begrudgingly I paid it because I had already done the work. I made a note on my tax return so that I would not forget to not use this rip-off software again.

Original review: April 1, 2020

2019 was the 2nd year I used Tax Act for my return. 2018 seemed to be fine. The software was fairly intuitive and I'm assuming accurate. 2019 was a different story. I submitted my return prepared by Tax Act but soon discovered that some qualifying questions were so misleading that an elderly parent living with me was assumed to be a dependent. When that parent filed, his return was rejected by the IRS because I had mistakenly claimed him as a dependent.

I immediately went back to TaxAct to file an amended 1040X which went totally bananas and calculated that I should get 3 times the amount of my previous refund. I called TaxAct customer Service to get some help. A recording told me that they unable to handle my call due to volume. and essentially left me hanging. This immediately threw up a red flag regarding their capabilities. I took my return to a well-known nationwide established Tax preparing company I've used in the past and they corrected my return for a fee of course. So I spent twice as much for a correct return this year. Learned my lesson. I will not use TaxAct again.

Original review: March 31, 2020

We finished our fed and local tax returns and wanted to e-file. When we were finishing and the app wanted us to "review" the returns for errors, the app told us that we had to include a form 1095-A from our health care providers. We never got a 1095-A from the providers. We called our providers and were told that, since we are retired, our records were to be recorded on 1095-B. However, they also said that only ** keeps those records. When we called Medicare we were told that Medicare NO LONGER uses those forms for filing returns, and if we wanted them nonetheless, we'd have to wait a month or more to get them.

So TaxACT's application is obsolete or flawed. We cannot e-file because the program refuses to allow us to do so without getting a form that the Feds and the state NO LONGER USE. Our only alternative is to mail the completed (as is) returns. As of now, TaxACT does not answer customer service calls, so I cannot rectify this issue directly with TaxACT. Do NOT use TaxACT if you want a fair exchange for your dollar. From personal experience, they do not hold up their end of the bargain.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I have used TaxAct for years, and it always went well. This year they added hidden fees and constant "upgrades" and ads for other "offers". I ended up paying nearly $200 to file. It made me upgrade to add state return, then charged again to print that state return. Their chat feature on the site "timed out" after just a minute and tried to send me to their "support page to get answers from the community of users". After I finished my return, I went to print my federal return because it wanted to charge an addition $60 "service fee" to use my credit card. When I logged in on another computer, my return was GONE!!

After a lot of time I figured out that if I logged in under my "username" or under my email, it was different, even though they are both a single account. Their service sucks, their prices are ridiculous. I will never use them again. I hope every customer leaves them permanently and they go under because this company is NOT a good one anymore.

Original review: March 27, 2020

The 2020 version of the software is extremely glitchy. It filed multiple, incorrect returns, which will require me to file amended returns. Support never replied to my email. Worked OK in 2019, but not this year. Look elsewhere.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I wouldn’t use this software again. I found there to be deception in its pricing. Once you have entered your information, you find that the charge is much greater than you have been led to believe. It is a waste of precious time to enter information and then after to get another software to complete your tax forms.

TaxAct Company Information