TaxACT

TaxACT
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

TaxACT Reviews

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I was a TaxAct customer for years, even as they continued to raise the price every year. I'm a professional preparer and left TaxAct, because the price for the preparer completing 100 returns is the same, for a firm preparing 1,000 returns or more. When I attempted to negotiate a price for the small time preparer, the sales person was sarcastic and support has always been terrible. A question to the support team may not be answered, for two days or more. I do not recommend TaxAct.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I used TaxACT this year to prepare my individual tax return. For the first time ever in my adult life, I owed. I made a debit payment using TaxACT's payment system and assumed the IRS had my payment. In early June, I received a notification from the IRS that my payment had not been received by them. After hours of research, I discovered the payment had never been taken from my account. I have spent 7 weeks trying to reach TaxACT to resolve this issue and in the meantime, my penalties and interest are climbing. Every time I call, the CSR says they can't handle this situation and I must use email. I have sent 4 emails and every time get an auto response that they are "very busy" and I'll receive a followup email from a CSR within 48 hours.

I finally mailed the IRS a check today. I have no idea what happened and why my payment didn't go through but I'm pretty ticked off that I had to spend $40 on penalties and interest. And, still nothing from TaxACT. Are they real? Is there anyone actually answering this email address they make you use? Pathetic. Was a TurboTax user for 18 years. I'll be switching back for sure.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have used TaxAct for several years but this year for 2018 taxes was very hard to use, I purchase the Deluxe Edition because I have to file a state non resident return. This year I had some Capital Gains to file but the program I purchased did not include a Schedule D, had to purchase that additionally. The whole program was very hard to work with and now I hear from the IRS that Sch D had errors -- it has cost me an additional $162.00 in TAXES. I will be using another program next year!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I got hit with a 77 fee which was taken out of my bank account without my knowledge like 35 days after I filed. Had no clue as a single filer with 1 disabled dependant the system moved me into a higher package. So you can't take deductions or even claim a dependent and expect anything to be free. I will never use this program again.

Original review: May 7, 2019

For two years after doing my federal taxes it automatically generates the state on both years the state has sent my money back. This year I owed the feds nothing but they said I owed the state 184.00. Of course I paid them the fees to file my WV state. Why wouldn’t I. So the state sends my money back. I ask them for my filing fees back. You know they say they're 100% correct. The answer was well I filed it so that’s what's in their agreement. I think this free. Filing of Federal is a scam so you will pay them for State but at least you would think they would have the state correct but if you owe the Federal nothing it generates a fee that you owe the state so you pay them fees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxactonline.com?

Original review: April 28, 2019

I never received confirmation about taxes being received or accepted by IRS. I keep checking and I am told they have no record. Galaxy never filed my taxes. They took the money from my account though. Now I have to contact the IRS tomorrow and find out what I have to do to submit my completed taxes. My bank will be notified and I will file a formal fraud charge with my bank and a fraud complaint with the IRS. My husband has been out of work with a double knee replacement. I needed that refund to pay bills as we have exhausted our savings. This is causing hardship to my family. My husband was forced to go back to work two full months ahead of schedule because the refund didn't come. He is jeopardizing his recovery as he isn't able to continue physical therapy. They are only open until five pm. I may talk to an attorney.

Original review: April 19, 2019

This company never responded to my issues with filing this year (for tax year 2018) and then they would not close my account. Their website was non-functional 3 days between 4/10-4/15 so unable to file with them, switched to H&R Block and was thrilled at how much easier and better prepared their there website was to handle the traffic of tax season, will use them from now on, you should do the same!

Original review: April 19, 2019

TaxAct failed to file my return even though I went through all the steps and got to the screen that said, "Let's prepare for 2019 tax returns." Kept wondering where my response from the IRS was so went back to my TaxAct account and lo and behold the return is waiting to be filed. It's 0419 now and I refiled them. I wonder what will happen now? Will they get filed this time or no? I've been using TaxAct for over 10 years. I am so disappointed. What a horrible breach of trust.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I purchased a business bundle package with TaxAct. I have been a customer of theirs since 2013 and until this year (2018) have only needed to file a personal federal and state return. For that, it works fine. I have a basic understanding of tax so most of the questions I need answers to I am able to find on my own. HOWEVER, after starting a business in 2018, I decided to take advantage of TaxAct's Business Bundle 1120S package and paid $200. I figured it was worth it because I would get extra support and assistance with filing a more complex return. WRONG.

After many issues with entering the information, I ended up having to file an extension because customer support was nonexistent. I would call only to be told that no one was available due to high call volume and that I should try my call later. I filed the extension thinking after the April 15th deadline, most people would have filed their returns and I would finally be able to get through to someone who could actually help me. WRONG AGAIN. I was able to finally reach a customer support representative, but his help was limited to pointing me to where I could find the information on the IRS site or how to make changes within the software.

To say I was furious would be an understatement. I felt like I overpaid for what I actually got. I will no longer be doing my taxes with them going forward because I do not think they are suited for small businesses that have legitimate concerns about how to file their taxes properly and need assistance. If you have a simple return, I think TaxAct is fine. But if you have a more complex return that requires a better understanding or more assistance from an actual tax professional, go somewhere else. I did not realize how unhelpful customer support would be for tax-related questions for a $200 product. You live and learn and this was an expensive mistake. I hope this review will at least save someone else from making the same one.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have used TaxACT for 4 years now and this will be my last. I did not mind the steady increase in price because of the ease of using. I will never use again. It has turned into a convoluted mess of deceptive sales pitches and window after window. Give us information so we can help you. I.e sign up for our services before you can file. And the filing process wow what a joke. First you pay for software and filing fees, then sceen(s!) later you file fed then they nightmare you with state checks and double checks before you can file. As an aside if you leave the software and come back it does not remember where you were. Rather it goes to a generic menu. You get to guess. NEVER AGAIN WHAT A NIGHTMARE.

TaxACT Company Information