3.7/5 (802 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Sarah Barbour
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Chime

Chime is a financial technology company that aims to provide helpful and easy-to-use online banking services. You can open a checking account, a savings account with a 0.5% annual percentage yield and a secured credit card that helps increase your credit score. Chime charges no monthly fees and no overdraft fees. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are at least 18 can apply on Chime’s website or using its app.

Pros

• 0.5% APY on savings account
  • No-fee overdraft protection up to $200
  • Secured credit card with no fees
  • Over 60,000 fee-free ATMs

Cons

• Some services require direct deposit
  • No joint accounts or secondary cards

Bottom Line

Chime is a mobile banking fintech company offering checking and savings accounts, along with a secured credit card. There are almost no fees. Some services are available only to members who use direct deposit.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: July 16, 2021

I do everything with Chime all the way up to fixing my credit so I can buy a house next year. Anyone can use this card. It's great for elderly people to get financial help when they need it. The money goes straight to their card for quick use.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I love Chime, they are easy to Bank with and I enjoy getting paid two days early. Also I love the credit builder options and the sweepstakes they offer, although I haven't won one yet...lol. Fingers crossed!!!!

Original review: July 16, 2021

Chime is the best banking solution I have the privilege of using. My funds hit early and on time every time. Then their credit card is simple to use and has been building my credit. Chime was a excellent investment.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Our family loves Chime. It is so easy to transfer money back and forth to each other and between our own accounts. No overdraft fees and you just tip if you want if you overdraft and they cover. We are def a Chine family.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have had Chime for about 4 years, and I can honestly say it's the best thing! I love that spot me has my back when I get in a rough spot. And credit builder is amazing! My credit score went from low 500s to over 700 in less than a year. Customer service has always been amazing too. Also the app is so easy and convenient, I always know where I'm at financially. Best bank ever!

Original review: July 16, 2021

Decided to use Chime debit card for the first time specifically to make monthly rental payments. Had no idea (guess I didn't read the fine print) that the daily spending limit was only 2500.00. Well I paid a few smaller bills online with my Chime card, then when I tried to pay my rent, it declined the transaction even though the funds were there. So now Chime has my money but I can't use it for 24hours? Can't even transfer the funds into another account! Not good when your rent is late! Can't even get gas for my car! Will only use a brick and mortar bank now to pay pay major bills. Customer Service agent was sympathetic but of absolutely no use to me.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have been with Chime for over three years. It has been the best experience by far. I can always count on them for A1 service accurate service and my paychecks always make it right on time. I love me some time.

Original review: July 15, 2021

My credit score has gone up since I got the credit building account. It's been easy and hassle free. Fits most situations plus the customer service is awesome. The app is user friendly. Transfer money with ease

Original review: July 15, 2021

So I have been banking what time for about two and a half years and they are always coming up with new features and new ways to assist their customers. Chime is the best banking financial institution that I have ever had and I've been with quite a few. They have an awesome no fee overdraft program. They allow you to transfer money to other members they have, the 2-day early deposit and they also have the credit card which helps build your credit along with many many other amazing features. Since I've been with them they have progressed so much within a short period of time and I am so excited to see what's to come in the near and far future.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Chime always has your back. No matter they great. I will never use no one else. If I need to call them they always talk to me and very helpful and very kind to me. My woman uses chime also and we love it. They always watch your account and if they think it's wrong on buying something they will make sure it's ok.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Chime has been really great. They are always a efficient and very patient when I call. I love my banking experience. They are really amazing. I would recommend chime to any and every one. Go get your chime account.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I have been with the Chime family for over 4 years, I have never had such better customer Care, Service and Banking handled so flawlessly. When we went through the hardest time of all our lives, My chime family created a way to be of more help to us. They too had been affected by this Pandemic and still thought about Me and my family. If you have a concern or a dispute the bot system in place is extremely helpful not to mention the response time from a representative once you file your request. Just know if you pick CHIME they definitely have your back. "Chime for the whole family."

Original review: July 15, 2021

I have had several different prepaid credit cards, but Chime was different right from the beginning! I needed to pick a card for direct deposit of my husband's paycheck, and received so much more! We have the credit builder card, and the SpotMe is an extra that has been a true blessing! Thank you chime. Keep up the good work!!!

Original review: July 14, 2021

I love my Chime account because I get paid 2 days early through direct deposit, my account is secure. Chime has boosted my credit score from my chime credit card and the spot me is amazing and has helped me budget my finances. I like that there is no monthly fee and I have the choice to go negative or not!!

Original review: July 14, 2021

I have been with Chime for probably two years if not longer. In the beginning I joined out of convenience and necessity, it was easy to send money back and forth between a few people who already had the card and the lack of fees and extra charges is what made it even more appealing. I quickly fell in love with the card I decided to enroll in direct deposit and shortly after it became my primary financial institution. I have access to free ATMs all over Phoenix Az. I don’t pay any extra fees for cash back or penalties for low balance. Soon after I was eligible for spot me feature and it was great. It covered me on those days where I may have been short. But the time I realized the integrity of the company was during the Covid pandemic. Man let me tell you. They raised the spot me for so many. They gave out prizes and benefits. They gave an option to use the chime credit building card.

So many different little perks and after you get paid and you pay back the spot me there’s no fees. Just a small request to submit a tip that will allow chime to continue providing these great perks and the tip is optional. It’s not even a pushy request. They make it clear it won’t affect you and it doesn’t. I am very grateful for my account. Spot me saved me. I was going through a rough patch during the peak of COVID and right then I got the email of the increase. It was like a miracle.. So thank you Chime for the services and products you provide and your all around genuine care for your customers

Original review: July 14, 2021

Used to bank with Chase for 6 years, switched to Chime after seeing their commercials on t.v. Have had a much better experience and services with chime, chase pays on the day and goes by a deposit date. With chime, they deposit once received and it's usually between 24-48 hours. With spot me, it's a great feature to have if you have a bill due last minute, groceries etc. Overall, very happy with the services. 5++,

Original review: July 14, 2021

I filed a dispute that was only supposed to take 90 days, because of the amount I didn’t qualify for a provisional credit and that was fine because I submitted documents showing that I paid my insurance company and they canceled my insurance after they gotten the payment and I had to quickly get insurance with another insurance company, after speaking to the dispute Department that took over 3 months, they stated that it wasn’t an error and my money will not be put back in my account. UNACCEPTABLE, I do like Chime for the fact that I get paid early BUT their customer service is RIDICULOUS, I know if I had this problem with a reputable bank, then I know I would have had my money back immediately without having to wait 4 months. DO NOT BANK WITH CHIME

Original review: July 14, 2021

I've been with Chime for over a year. Chime is great. I will never leave chime. My pay check is there on every week on time and in tight spots. The spot me is great. It's got me out of a bind many times. And instead of paying a bunch of overdraft fees all they ask for is a tip which I try to tip them a few bucks every week. I hope chime takes over all the banks. Banks are rip offs bb and it got me for almost 800.00 and Wells Fargo had to send me money back that they took off me for no reason. Chime has never took nothing from me. Bottom line Chime is the number one banking system and as long as they are in business I will be a customer. Keep up the great work chime. Ya'lll are the best in the business.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Chime's really helped me out with seeping on top of my money. They’re always more than helpful. The credit builder card is a great way to learn about credit building while you do it. Overall I would definitely recommend chime to a friend.

Original review: July 14, 2021

They work fast for any issues that you may have. The are no monthly fees....I've never been so satisfied with my banking and savings with Chime. It's so awesome. I really encourage anyone looking for free banking to consider chime. If you wanted to contact myself for their link we would both get referral $ on your first deposit...**

Original review: July 13, 2021

Chime has been the best thing ever. There is no overdraft fees and they will spot you the money you need. I love it so much. Been with them 3 yrs and will remain. If you don’t have chime I suggest you get it.. I’ve been in situations where my funds was low and chime stepped in and had my back. There is no better mobile banking out there..

Original review: July 13, 2021

I’ve had Chime for almost 1 year and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I haven’t had any issues and I get my deposit 2 days early every week and my tax refund and stimulus checks all came 4 days early. My credit score went up by 40 points since using the chime credit card and my spot me increased from 20 to 70 bucks. I am so happy with chime and don’t see myself leaving them anytime soon.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I have other online bank accounts, but by far Chime has been the best, Chime gives you the control over your banking needs. You can save, manage, move money, pay bills and now build your credit. No no traditional or other online banks do that. I refer everyone I know. Thank you Chime!!

Original review: July 13, 2021

I actually really like Chime. Every time I call customer service they always figure out the issue and make it right. I also love the fact that it's genuinely fee-free overdraft. And not to mention I get my paycheck literally 2 days earlier than everyone else!

Original review: July 13, 2021

I've been with Chime now for 4 years and I absolutely love it.... My deposits always comes two days early and I love the benefits I get from them. Spot me is amazing. It comes in handy when I need extra cash. I would recommend this card to everyone. Trust me. You will not be disappointed.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I have been with Chime for years and I love it. I never had a problem with them and it’s so many great things come with using chime. They solve issues quick and fast and your pay days be much faster than others.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I was referred to Chime through a good friend, because I still had an out of state credit union. Skeptical at first, yes. But this has been the best banking experience I’ve ever had to date. Thank god for the spot me perk, it has saved me SO many times! I couldn’t ask for a more convenient way to bank!

Original review: July 12, 2021

I have been with Chime for several months now and I can tell you that it's been the best experience as banking goes in my entire life. I would without question or hesitation recommend them to anyone. Their customer service is exceptional and puts all other banks I've dealt with to shame. It's been an all around great experience. Thank you Chime.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I’ve been with Chime for more than 2 years and have experienced a lot of benefits including the SpotMe feature. Before the pandemic money transfers between accounts was limited. However, this was changed due to the pandemic to allow more flexibility. I really appreciated that. Customer Service is excellent and their response time is good. Also, having the access to free ATM at big retailers is a plus. I’m going to continue to bank with Chime because of the flexibility and features that are offered.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I have never had issues with this bank. They provide free over drafts when you need up to $20. Depending on how much direct deposit you receive. They have a secured credit card option as well. Only down side is that you will not be able to use this bank for any investments. The companies who allow the use of online banking is limited in regards to loans and credit cards.

Chime Company Information