3.7/5 (802 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Sarah Barbour
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Chime

Chime is a financial technology company that aims to provide helpful and easy-to-use online banking services. You can open a checking account, a savings account with a 0.5% annual percentage yield and a secured credit card that helps increase your credit score. Chime charges no monthly fees and no overdraft fees. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are at least 18 can apply on Chime’s website or using its app.

Pros

• 0.5% APY on savings account
  • No-fee overdraft protection up to $200
  • Secured credit card with no fees
  • Over 60,000 fee-free ATMs

Cons

• Some services require direct deposit
  • No joint accounts or secondary cards

Bottom Line

Chime is a mobile banking fintech company offering checking and savings accounts, along with a secured credit card. There are almost no fees. Some services are available only to members who use direct deposit.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

My experience with Chime has been absolutely terrible. I opened an account in January and made an initial deposit of funds. However, when I attempted to log in a couple of days later, I was locked out of my account. When I emailed customer service, they asked me to send them scans of various documents to confirm my identity, such as bills, with scans of envelopes showing my home address.

When I repeatedly explained in about 15 email exchanges that I don't receive hard copies of any bills or financial documents, I was eventually ghosted, after I never received a single substance of response actually addressing what I was telling them. Therefore, I sent an email asking to close my account, but nothing has been done after about about 5 more email exchanges, and eventually they ghosted me on this issue as well. My account is still not closed, and they still have my funds. This is outrageous. Do not do business with this company. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in an era when customer service is typically awful.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

Ok so starting out I loved Chime, I felt like the safety of knowing you can't bounce anything was great.. The addition of having Spot Me and Boost... They were great too...but wait... using our card we all are going to run into times when we need to Dispute a charge right... I have been in good standing, have my direct deposit going in regularly, so when I disputed a charge for 101.00 to a supplement's company, I would hope it would be handled like other banks...BUT NO... I entered my info, emailed supplement's info, and still nothing. No communication. But the biggest problem, they don't credit you when you start the dispute.. I was originally upset about this.. But now 28 days later I really don't think they are going to rectify my dispute, so I'm now researching other banks to see if this is par for the course or just Chime... So if you ever think you may dispute a charge then Chime is not for you, as they will not refund the disputed bill.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I have had banking for some time now and I’ve had past issues with them. I had an incident where my account was compromised and I went through their procedure just to come to the outcome of not being refunded my money back into my account. I then had to go through legal procedures to get my money back. Another time recently I received a torn $20 bill from a ATM recommended from the ATM locator on their app and the service was terrible. None of the workers knew how to go about this nor did they have a clue as of how to help. I’m currently still waiting for a outcome. Looking to cancel my account with them when this issue is solved.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I made a dispute about furniture I never received. It was fraud. I had all necessary documentation and they still denied my claim. How is that even right? If it was the person that disputed the claim they would want they money back as well. Documents they sent me was something to do with PayPal.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I have had this Chime account for a month and a half. I have not had access to my money in weeks now. I have my payroll going into my account. I have not received one debit card from them and have my account to where I cannot transfer my funds not EVEN to another Chime member. I literally have my rent and bills sitting in the account and am not able to touch it. I have called dozen of times. I have submitted their paperwork and still not one single employee or supervisor at that has fixed the issue or allowed me access to my money.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

You guys didn’t let my tax return go through. Now I'm going to have to wait another two weeks in order to receive it. THANKKKSSS! All you guys do is steal money from people. “Spot Me” my ** is that? Another way for you to bite off people’s hard earned money because you guys are vultures. ** this company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I recently opened up a Chime bank account and I deposited $900 on it. In two days we used it to pay several bills. There was $323 left on the account. They shut my account off, wouldn't let me retrieve my money, sent me an email telling me they have to let our payments process for 14 days and that we wouldn't see a check until after the 14 days and that they'd be emailing us out a check.

Like I said this online bank Chime is a joke. I strongly recommend to anyone out there do not use them. They're nothing but a hack company looking to place your money on a hold if you use your debit card too much to pay bills was their exact words and that's their banking procedures is if you overuse your debit card which means I paid three different bills with it and they shut it off. They're holding my money. They refused to refund it until after 14 days go by and they make sure everything clears and then they'll send us a check out which could take up to 30 days. So like I said I strongly recommend to everyone and anyone out there this is a hack of a company. Do not use them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I've been using chime for 4 years now and really never had a problem until now. I was really excited to use the mobile deposits feature in the app. I had used another prepaid debit card mobile deposit feature and I was sadly disappointed and ended up closing my account with them. So when chime add that feature I was excited. I thought I learned from my mistake the first time using these apps to cash checks, But no I tried it and signed my name on the dotted line did all the steps they asked me to just for chime not to cash my payroll check.

You guys don't understand the hassle some people have to go threw just for their jobs to reissue another check. especially now days with this pandemic. People are out here facing evictions,need medication,and food and all there trying to do is cash a check it might have been their first check in months and they just don't have transportation to get to a check cashing building. So these people trust in your product to deliver them a service and you guys drop the ball with no other alternative to the solution. In other words don't use any mobile app check deposit features. Cause you'll just end up with a headache.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

They allow fraudulent transactions and will not dispute them. My account was wiped out and I can not get my money back. I've called them multiple times. I have 33 unknown transactions. $155 gone I can't get back.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

My experience with Chime was good at first and then some things change over a year ago. Fraud in my account which was shocking, got an error in my email, called customer service and they was acting clueless. I will not go back to them again.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Never would have thought that I would be going through a situation like this one! Okay, so I’ve been banking with Chime since August 2021. It nice and all being able to have $105 in spot me which can help if I don’t have money on my account & something need to paid for. So on December 24 Christmas Eve I have to emphasize the day because most banks and businesses closes early this day. I just got paid and had about $1000 dollars in my account. After paying some bills my account balances at $735 dollars.

Later the day I woke up from a long day after work and checked my account and notice that $720 was taken out of my account. The first thing I thought to do was to check if I had my card then I called chime support and let the know what just happened. But they informed me that nothing can be done until the transactions was done pending. Two days later I got an email saying that chime denied my dispute claim because their investigation claim that there was no error with my account. So in one business day chime was “able” to investigate and come to an conclusion that I was not scammed out of $720 dollars leaving me with only $15 dollars in my account on Christmas Eve. No way in knowing how I will pay the rest of my bills. CHIME is UNPROFESSIONAL and was quick to assume that I wasn’t a victim of credit card fraud.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

Deposited a check through them, they make you write on it and then if you cancel it for whatever reason or they deny it your stuck with a check you cannot cash! The customer service was of no help! I will not use this bank again ever!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

So I signed up for Chime, sent them my ID picture of my face, all that stuff. Everything went through fine. Got the debit card in the mail and everything. Upon my very first paycheck deposit direct from the company I work for I was locked out of my account with NO indication as to why. The only good thing about this experience is that the deposit was canceled and sent back to the sender so I didn't have to deal with Chime anymore. They wanted proof of ID (which you need to send them to sign up for their site), my social security card and a bill of some kind sent to the place I live. Well I have no bills directed to me personally at the place I live so I sent them the letter from my employer, I sent them mail from insurance, I sent them mail I got from paypal, I sent my ID and my social security card. They did not accept it.

The customer representative I spoke with on the phone with was nice. I asked him "does Chime do this with all their customers? Allow them to sign up send a debit card and when a deposit is made lock their account?" He said "No" yet couldn't give me any specific reason it happened to me. Maybe they thought I looked like a criminal based on the photo in my ID, I really don't know. I literally couldn't have done anything suspicious as all I did was sign up and get a deposit. The deposit had my name on it, the same address as my ID. There was absolutely NO conflicting information I gave them ANYWHERE.

Now I have to wait almost a full week longer to receive my paycheck. I would never recommend this service, and my story alone (without me even trying to convince them as I didn't know they were even considering Chime) has convinced someone I know not to use Chime when they had been considering it. GOOD! The fact that this isn't a standard thing is what upsets me the most. What about ME made them suspicious? I could see that if the address on my ID wasn't the same as the address I gave, or SOMETHING... but no nothing of the sort. And then why would they say "Congratulations you've successfully opened a deposit account" if they were going to lock it the very first time I got a deposit? UNNACCEPTABLE! The entire experience makes me feel discriminated against. The entire experience was TERRIBLE.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Total fraud. Over 5000 complaints for fraud on Chime as for today. They wait until over $1000 on account and then steal it. No refunds, all phones/email replies disappear. Filed with Attorney General, FBI etc. Hopefully isthmus scam will be closed and those criminals from San Francisco arrested.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Everything was good for a year. Then mysteriously, I could no longer transfer to or from my bank. Chime and Bank (Suntrust) said it's not on their end. Chime suggested I delete the bank and re-enter info but app will not accept bank info. Don't know why. I suppose I'll have to just use up the money in Chime and close the account.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

I called before opening and account. I explained they unique deposit situation.. I receive VA benefits and I broke my payments into 4 parts. Minor's name in care of me. (I had a serious illness and will stuff this set up was better.) They said receiving it would be not problem.. So payday came around and they rejected all checks because the name didn't match. Of course this was in the middle of moving into a new place out of state. We needed that money for travel cost and trailer. So now we're left sol. Till the VA sends out the check. We're supposed to be out in 3 days.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

Another online bank with no help for Fraudulent accounts. No 1-800 number to talk to anyone, you have to email some ghost. Can't talk to a CS Rep because Chime is too cheap. If someone opens a fraudulent account in your name, Chime don't care - they just want money. Good luck trying to clear it. Another good reason not to use this institution. Customer service has left the building.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

God forbid you stay at a hotel for an extended period of time. They can't help you if you have a prior authorization. Over $700 in prior authorizations which they won't or supposedly can't fix the issue. Go away from the company and go to a real bank.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

They closed my account for no reason. After I transferred everything over to them. It's a scam. Do not bother getting a account. They want to determine when and where you can spend your money. This is garbage. No notice. I didn't violate any policy or engage in fraudulent activities.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

I’ve been with Chime for a couple years now. Bank is pretty mediocre. There’s been a lot of problems with false charges and I’m not the only customer to have this issue. They always have issues with the new cards you have to set up. The info in their system never matches what your new card says so they send out a new one and it’s the same cycle of waiting 2 weeks with fingers crossed. They do have a virtual temp card but they canceled mine because I had a fraud charge. They have “no idea how it happened” (I’ve only used this card on Apple Pay for a couple of stores so pretty sure either they are getting hacked or they sell info) and they left me with 0 access to my money until I get a card.

It’s been almost 3 weeks and customer support is terrible. Nobody in support knows how to fix anything but reset a password or send a new card like that’s going to help while already waiting for a card. You can definitely tell they outsourced their customer support overseas so that says a lot anyways. Also, a lot of places won’t even take this bank. I'm heavily considering canceling my bank and credit card with them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

First of all - I really love Chime overall, the Spot Me feature, no fees or overdrafts, etc. I’ve reached a point though where I need to move on to a “big boy” bank since Chime doesn't offer joint accounts and constantly transferring money back and forth between my wife and I is getting annoying. Another major thing is that Chime is treated like a pre-paid debit card by most vendors. I’ve ran into an issue recently where I was not able to rent a car due to them not accepting Chime. And going to a Family Dollar to deposit cash is getting tiresome as well - it just feels like you’re not really part of an actual bank. This is great for young singles and personally, I absolutely hate big banks - it pains me to move to Chase - but until they actually develop themselves as a “real bank”, I need to move on.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Chime is inconsistent. They lure you in by getting your direct deposit about 5 to 6 days early. After that don't expect it until the designated date of employer, or benefit date. They will lower your spot me without any reason why, and will not post to your account the bonus 5 dollars you're supposed to received from friends called boost. I have had 3 months where friends sent boost never to be credited to my account but have my spot me account lowered from 60 to 50 to now 5 dollars. Their reps are all remote half the time dealing with screaming children or other domestic affairs, and any correspondence sent is never answered but then you are penalized for complaining or stating missing monies.

It's better to go with an establishment that has second chance banking if need be or credit union. These new banking companies are not consistent and I fear will become more predatory as time goes on. I do not recommend. Do yourself a favor. Establish a relationship with a bank or credit union you will be able to secure loans, lines of credit, and buy a home. This is not the way to do it. Don't get suckered into taking the easy way out. There is never an easy way, and nothing is for free, which sets off red flags with chime. Good luck

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Be careful folks. I had fraud transactions on my Credit Builder card and they refused to protect me and refund me for those transactions that I didn't authorized. This company is a scam. You won't be protected against fraud. There are many people with similar experiences online. Don't do business with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I have been with Chime since 2019 and it seemed like a decent bank. That was until I had to call and report a fraudulent charge. The representative I spoke with lacked customer service and tact. The fraud process is a complete joke and they do not even attempt to assist you in obtaining your money back or even sending you a new card in an effort for it not to happen again. I have other bank accounts and Chime has to be the most lackluster one of them all. Instead of trying to assist their customers they are more concerned with how to make a dollar. No one in the disputes department could assist me in getting my money back instead they simply advised that it wasn't valid and hurriedly dismissed my claim.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

My wallet was stolen and my Chime card was used at a store I’ve never been to. Filed a dispute and even reported my card lost. Chime denied my dispute saying no issues had occurred on on my account… Chime's policy is if they are still investigating your dispute within 10 days they have to give you a credit. Chime didn’t even spend 7 days on my dispute. They denied me quickly with no hesitation just so they don’t have to give me a credit…. I’ll no longer be a customer of chime after this.. DONT TRUST CHIME WITH YOUR MONEY!!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

All was good until I wanted to deposit funds from my home refinance. They DO NOT accept valid wire transfers and they would not deposit a mobile check from a a valid Wells Fargo Escrow Account, even though they say they will accept mobile check transfers $10,000 or less. The only response I received was that they couldn't verify the funds. It's Wells Fargo on an Escrow Account, meaning funds are immediately available! Now I have to scramble around to figure out how to get funds there. Thank goodness I didn't completely get rid of my local bank account. Very poor service.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I have had a Chime account since 2019. I have been using it as my main checking and savings account, and eventually obtained the credit builder account as of May 2021. As of August 2021, I will never trust this corporation with my money again. It all started when I had to reach out for the 3rd time that mouth about a reoccurring fraudulent charge (Suspicions in itself). In result of feeling disrespected and abandoned by the folks who have access to quite literally all of money, the conversation became unproductive and emotional.

At some point I mentioned how hard this situation was making my life since I had zero wiggle room in my paychecks. I then close the conversation out of anger. Within the hour, a local sheriff is at my door. He says he’s responding to a potential “self-harm risk”. I am in awe. Chime assumed I was a danger to myself, with no supporting evidence even alluding to that. When I confront the “chat” agent in the app after the officer had left, I demanded to know what warranted that 911 call. I never got a response. I tried to reach them a lot in fact, now my help feature in the app is always on “maintenance mode”. I have screenshots of every conversation regarding this. There was no risk to even be assessed, so I feel violated and plan on taking further legal action against them, considering what started this in the first place. Be *very* careful around Chime.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Claim online that they are better than a bank. That's **. They are just as bad as a bank or worse with deposits at least a bank goes in right away but Chime's policy has changed 5 business days before a deposit shows up. False advertisement.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

This is the most difficult and inconvenient operation I have ever done business with. They didn’t accept any of the checks I wanted to deposit while I have them and it costs money to deposit cash. They are making it impossible for me to withdraw my funds after closing my account because “the system messed up” and didn’t fully send it to my real bank account. Now I have to jump through hoops and fight them daily on trying to get my $1200 back. They are terrible to work with and I could not stress enough how badly people need to avoid them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

My account had been hacked while I was in jail. My purse was stolen at that. I told this to Chime, and every time I'd dispute a transaction that wasn't mine, they would deny it. My refund was stolen and chime don't care!

Chime Company Information