2. Finance

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I have been with Chime Bank for the last few years and I am very satisfied with their service overall and have no plans of changing banks anytime soon. Their customer service is friendly and believes in helping their customers with all of their financial services and issues, I love Chime Bank.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have had my Chime Account for 4 or 5 months and I am happy I switched over. The app is user friendly, which is very important to me. Chime offers a lot of great little perks that make my life a little easier. I have always been able to find an atm that accepts Chime...wherever I am at. I gave them a four, only because I haven't banked with them too long. Thanks Chime.

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: May 2, 2020

I'm shocked at how many people are actually placing blame on a bank for things the members did wrong!! I've been a Chime member for over a year and I was really worried about some of these reviews. Come to find out, members are doing things that are against Chime's policies and then want to blame the bank. Or they're dumb enough to fall for some scam artist calling and asking for their personal account information. Who would have their family and friend's stimulus check deposited into an account when the policy clearly states, "The recipient's name on any direct deposit MUST match the name of the account holder or the deposit will be returned." The member service agreement also says that we absolutely cannot use a third party to load money onto our cards or they will close our account.

Does anyone read the fine print anymore? Why would anyone give someone their personal security information to a complete stranger without verifying the legitimacy of the call? Chime will never call you and ask you for your card information....they already have it!! They will never allow you to load money to your card using a third party check cashing or loading service, and they will not let you put your spouse's stimulus payment into your account without verifying that it's legitimate because they do not offer joint accounts. Every single bank is under strict federal regulations to ensure prevention of money laundering. The only problem I've ever had with Chime was a deposit that didn't come two days early, like usual, but that's not a guarantee. The only other times I have had issues was with a merchant who placed a hold on my card, but that was the merchant's fault, not the bank.

I love banking without fees, getting my deposit up to two days early, and being able to categorize my spending. The Spot Me feature is also another perk that is great. It's nice to have a cushion when you're running low. If you're considering opening a Chime account, then you should absolutely do it. My only recommendation is that you READ the member services agreement and never give anyone your personal information.

Original review: March 30, 2020

My paycheck comes in about 24 after it is put in by payroll. There are no ATM fees if you use within their network and there are TONS of them. The app even shows you where they are located in your area. I lost my card and had a replacement one within a week. Lost that one (yeah I know) and that one was also replaced within a week. The Spot Me feature is phenomenal! As long as your direct deposits and paybacks are consistent your Spot Me will always be there to help. LOVE CHIME.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I had been using a traditional brick and mortar bank for a long time. I am on disability, so I get a monthly check from Social Security. With the traditional bank I was being charged an arm and a leg. I had been using auto pay to pay some bills, but with auto pay companies aren't very consistent at pushing those debits through on exact days. I get paid on the first, but auto pay changes according to days in the month. Some months are 30 days, some 31. You get the picture. I had overdraft protection on my traditional checking account. When these auto payments would go through it'd cost me $35 each time they'd bounce. It really wasn't my fault. I had told those companies I get paid on a specific day, so debits that came before that day would be rejected.

Many companies incentivize auto pay with reductions in plan costs. However, the $35 fee at my bank pretty much ate up any savings and made me short for the rest of the month. It was a huge hassle. Being on a fixed income I had to make a choice and that's when I heard about Chime. Sign up was simple. Direct deposit was straightforward. I received my card in about a week. Social Security pays on the first of the month at traditional banks. Unless the first falls on a weekend then it's the Friday prior to the first. Chime does NOT hold my deposit. Sometimes I get paid up to a week to 10 days early, despite the 2 days they claim.

In the 8 or so months I've been using Chime every single one of my direct deposits have been received at least 3 days early. Every single one. It has never been held. I recently had a billing issue with Sprint. I had helped a friend and paid his Spring bill. Well Sprint being who they are saved my card info without consent and my friend became delinquent on his Sprint bill, so they tried to go back and charge me for his account. I have never had a contract with Sprint and never will. They took $300 from me a few months ago and again attempted to take over $642 from me this month.

I have significant health issues, so I missed the $300 charge, but when I saw the declined charge for $642 it made me go back and check my account and that's when I became aware of the issue and immediately reached out to Chime. They gave me a day or so before cancelling my card to give me time to make any necessary purchases until my new card arrived and in less than 24 hours they had refunded the $300 that Sprint had taken from me.

I was honestly shocked at how quick it all happened. I honestly thought I'd just have to take the loss, but Chime went above and beyond to make it right. Now, they offer the overdraft fee free and it really comes in handy for someone like me. It's only $45, but it's no charge and with my old bank sometimes I'd end up with $2-300 in just overdrafts a month. I've learned to never use autopay in my situation and my financial situation has improved and I really credit that to Chime. They may still be working out the kinks and it's not perfect in every way, but I am a super happy Chime customer.

I've even been able to start saving a little. Social Security doesn't pay a whole lot, so being able to save is a big deal for me. They keep making changes and improvements and they are always revising their platform to benefit their users. I know some people may not have had the best experience, but for me I haven't had the first problem and I foresee a very long financial relationship with them. I've even talked a few people into giving them a go. Everyone seems happy with their decision. If you're on the fence I say go for it. You really dont have a whole lot to lose. Just remember you need to read the service contracts and agreements for everything you use, especially your bank. I'm completely satisfied with Chime. They've really given me the tools to get my finances in order. Plus, it is so easy to use and navigate.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I opened a Chime account a few weeks back for my unemployment. Everything seemed to be ok, until I received an email stating my account was suspended. After hours and hours of useless phone calls.... zero information given. My account was closed with all my money in there. No further information was provided except a generic email. Apparently if you receive 2 back to back deposits, you’re breaking the rules and they’ll close your account!!! Customer service is clueless and so are the “Supervisors”!! Don’t waste your time and lose your money!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Please please DO NOT get an account with Chime!! Your money will disappear and you won't get it back! Customer Service isn't local people, money disappears and CS blows you off! Don't lose your money!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I thought they were good banking. Well my account was compromised. I filled out all the proper documents and kept in touch on my claim. I was then told that if they couldn't finish claim in ten days my account would be credited on Sep 3rd. Well Sep 3rd has come and gone and nothing. I've emailed them several times. No response to any of my messages. No one making sure I'm taken of. I've explained my situation and they show no care whatsoever to get me taken care of or to keep their word on the credit.

I've had two agents tell me that my account was going to be closed then another one tell me I'm not getting the credit 'cause I didn't submit the claim paper when I did. Then that same Agent emails me and says sorry. He sees that I did email the documents in and he will have the dispute team get back with me and that was days ago and I've heard nothing since I email them and when I go to check it says issue has been resolved but nothing has been resolved ive just been ignored

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I recently opened an account with Chime using their app. After 2 direct deposits my account was put on hold due to "suspicious " account activity. Of course they wouldn't tell me what or give any explanation. They in turn requested me to provide documents to prove my identity, show proof of address and proof of authorization of direct deposit origination. So I complied, but only after speaking with a customer service representative to ensure the request was legitimate. After 2 emails from support I received an email stating they closed my account. I don't understand why because I gave them everything they requested! And to top it off they also state they will not be refunding the money I have in the account! This company and actions are criminal! Buyer beware! Do not use this company!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

Chime's advertisement is that you will get paid two days sooner - that is not true. It is one day sooner. Chime offers a 50$ referral bonus when you refer a friend & they start direct deposit - also not true. They say your "Spot me" feature will increase - it in fact does not. I would not recommend Chime to anyone. They have very poor customer service as well. To do it again - I would not have switched to Chime banking.

Chime Company Information