Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Finance
  3. Online Banks

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.74/5

Chime Reviews

Original review: March 30, 2020

My paycheck comes in about 24 after it is put in by payroll. There are no ATM fees if you use within their network and there are TONS of them. The app even shows you where they are located in your area. I lost my card and had a replacement one within a week. Lost that one (yeah I know) and that one was also replaced within a week. The Spot Me feature is phenomenal! As long as your direct deposits and paybacks are consistent your Spot Me will always be there to help. LOVE CHIME.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I had been using a traditional brick and mortar bank for a long time. I am on disability, so I get a monthly check from Social Security. With the traditional bank I was being charged an arm and a leg. I had been using auto pay to pay some bills, but with auto pay companies aren't very consistent at pushing those debits through on exact days. I get paid on the first, but auto pay changes according to days in the month. Some months are 30 days, some 31. You get the picture. I had overdraft protection on my traditional checking account. When these auto payments would go through it'd cost me $35 each time they'd bounce. It really wasn't my fault. I had told those companies I get paid on a specific day, so debits that came before that day would be rejected.

Many companies incentivize auto pay with reductions in plan costs. However, the $35 fee at my bank pretty much ate up any savings and made me short for the rest of the month. It was a huge hassle. Being on a fixed income I had to make a choice and that's when I heard about Chime. Sign up was simple. Direct deposit was straightforward. I received my card in about a week. Social Security pays on the first of the month at traditional banks. Unless the first falls on a weekend then it's the Friday prior to the first. Chime does NOT hold my deposit. Sometimes I get paid up to a week to 10 days early, despite the 2 days they claim.

In the 8 or so months I've been using Chime every single one of my direct deposits have been received at least 3 days early. Every single one. It has never been held. I recently had a billing issue with Sprint. I had helped a friend and paid his Spring bill. Well Sprint being who they are saved my card info without consent and my friend became delinquent on his Sprint bill, so they tried to go back and charge me for his account. I have never had a contract with Sprint and never will. They took $300 from me a few months ago and again attempted to take over $642 from me this month.

I have significant health issues, so I missed the $300 charge, but when I saw the declined charge for $642 it made me go back and check my account and that's when I became aware of the issue and immediately reached out to Chime. They gave me a day or so before cancelling my card to give me time to make any necessary purchases until my new card arrived and in less than 24 hours they had refunded the $300 that Sprint had taken from me.

I was honestly shocked at how quick it all happened. I honestly thought I'd just have to take the loss, but Chime went above and beyond to make it right. Now, they offer the overdraft fee free and it really comes in handy for someone like me. It's only $45, but it's no charge and with my old bank sometimes I'd end up with $2-300 in just overdrafts a month. I've learned to never use autopay in my situation and my financial situation has improved and I really credit that to Chime. They may still be working out the kinks and it's not perfect in every way, but I am a super happy Chime customer.

I've even been able to start saving a little. Social Security doesn't pay a whole lot, so being able to save is a big deal for me. They keep making changes and improvements and they are always revising their platform to benefit their users. I know some people may not have had the best experience, but for me I haven't had the first problem and I foresee a very long financial relationship with them. I've even talked a few people into giving them a go. Everyone seems happy with their decision. If you're on the fence I say go for it. You really dont have a whole lot to lose. Just remember you need to read the service contracts and agreements for everything you use, especially your bank. I'm completely satisfied with Chime. They've really given me the tools to get my finances in order. Plus, it is so easy to use and navigate.

Get expert buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Chime is great for a couple of reasons.

1) Chime offers direct deposit, and in some cases allows access to your funds up to 2 days in advance.

2) Chime has an automatic savings account. Once activated a portions of funds are set aside for emergencies. Great way to help save money.

3) No fees... If you don’t have the funds you can’t over spend. No insufficient fund fees. Banks & Credit Unions abuse Over Draft Protection, charging up to $34 per incident, even if you opted-out, charging you a fee at their discretion... The loophole is that they pay all overdrafts raping (You) their member for profit. An unexpected charge often ends up in an excessive negative balance, of which (You) member are held accountable to bring account balance positive soon, or risk account being closed.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I like that Chime bank has a great APY % on their accounts but the main thing I like is that they offer access to direct deposit 2 days earlier than payday. I would improve on the cash back features of the debit card - simply put add a debit card with this feature and then Chime Bank would be golden. Although, the direct deposit in advance features highly makes up for this; sometimes waiting for payday to arrive when I need access to money is a bit of a drag.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Low fees with no hidden fees as well. I also love that you can get paid up to 2 days early. I love banks that show customer care and this is one is the lead. I really like that you can open an automatic savings account to help save for your future. I would lower fees and add a checking account option. It is an online bank and I think they should add new features to make it more appealing. Overall it is good but needs some improvement. It is nicely organized but there is not much information. I think the app has potential but the owners are not thinking well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: April 5, 2020

Will never recommend them to anybody. I can't even get my money back from a transaction that was cancelled by the merchant. Called several times and I know they can release the payment but they don't want to. How do they know that wasn't the last bit of money I had and that's why I cancelled it. It's now April 5 and I cancelled it April 1st.

Original review: April 3, 2020

When I signed up for this, they asked for my phone number. I gave them my home phone number. It turns out they need a cell number but they didn't TELL me that to begin with. So, when I sign in, they send a text message to my home phone, and I have to tell them what the message was to verify that I'm me. But my home phone doesn't get or display text messages! So, I need to change the phone number on the account, but I can't do that because I can't sign in. I call, and they can change it for me. Except that they entered my birth date wrong, so they insist I'm not me. The alternative is to submit a ton of sensitive information over the internet "for security." And I already suspect that they won't verify it because they have the wrong birth date for me.

I don't think this really improves security. It just puts more of my info out there where it can be intercepted. In addition to that, the account almost HAS to be used through their app. At least that's the impression I'm getting. I haven't used their app because it won't work with my cell phone. I'm trying to send my money to PayPal so that I can actually USE it, but PayPal says it will take three to five days to transfer it, and already says there is a problem. I'm starting to wonder if the money that went into it on direct deposit will ever get back to me. It's all the money I have to pay bills for this month, and I'm VERY ANGRY! By the time I get the money to PayPal, paying most of my bills will make them late, and there will be fees to pay for that! Not to mention what it will do to my credit rating! Actually, I'm more than very angry!

Original review: March 30, 2020

Froze my account for no reason. Impossible to find anyone to help me get this resolved. Their support line says that they cannot help, and that my only option is to email support. Emails to support go unanswered. This is a loop that I cannot get out of, and in my research I've found that this has been done to many, many others.

Original review: March 21, 2020

My review is regarding the Chime bank Spot Me feature. Once I stop receiving my weekly direct deposit chime took away the spot me feature and this is all due to the Corona virus epidemic that we are going through but I guess this also shows how much chime cares about their customers.

Original review: March 20, 2020

To corona virus time, every is hard to get. I waited in line for an hour at the store just to get in. At the time of pay, MY account has been suspended. I used my account for eBay, I am a full time ebay seller. I got a call from Chime about my account activity, I pull out cash to buy merchandise. Sometimes pay with card when it's excepted. If I had cash deposits, I could understand. Every single $ I get is from Ebay or Amazon. They pay me, whats the problem with that. Of course there is no one to talk to, there is no # to call. Chime has no time for its customers, and if there is a problem. You're dead, no one will help you. Emergency, sorry for you no one is there for you. I rather just pay a fee, to a regular bank. Say no to online Banks and Chime all together.

Chime Company Information