2. Finance
  3. Online Banks

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.75/5

Chime Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

In October 2019 Chime stole money from hundreds of their members. We never got our money back, their excuse was "glitch in processor". The FDIC refuses to help any of us so it's obvious they cover for these thieves. Avoid this scam "bank" at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I have had Chime for about 2 weeks now. I have had to contact support about 4 times already, the support staff they have is outsourced, so they do not u understand the questions very well. Direct deposit does come in about 2 days early with this bank, the only downside is is that they seem to only be familiar with the direct deposit aspects. I asked them "why does it take 2 weeks for a mobile check deposit?" Got a response regarding direct deposit. I asked them why my mortgage company couldn't find their routing number, they asked me about my employer and some other questions regarding direct deposit. Had to correct them again that this was not a direct deposit issue.

I tried using the "chat" feature in the app, but these are just bots that can't really comprehend a detailed question, only preprogrammed answers. I also called to find out about unlocking the mobile deposit feature as you need direct deposit to use this. The woman stated this feature is not available until 30 days after your first direct deposit. It is now available to me a week after my first direct deposit. In short, the support staff is not helpful or well informed. The card works and so does direct deposit. If you want to deposit via mobile check it takes a while. No fees so far.

Get expert buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

At first, my husband and I had no problems with the chime banking account. Then my husband got his Chime account hacked and after we did everything we were supposed to do on resetting everything, including our phones, they were supposed to send us a new Chime card in the mail and we are still waiting on it! We have talked to customer service several times and they keep goofing up our address. First time they sent it to our old address, even though we updated all of our information on Chime. Then they sent it to an address that doesn't even exist, so there for it got sent back to the chime company and they are attempting to send it again for the third time!

We are two months behind on rent now, we weren't able to buy anyone anything for Christmas and we had to borrow money for food from our families! Very frustrating and very disappointed in their customer service department and how all this was handled. I would gladly tell anyone to stay away from that poorly managed, unprofessional company they call Chime.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

At first, I had no problems with this card, but now I have a lot and Customer Service is no help. Someone was able to use my card and purchase food, without having my card. I had 2 issues where I paid on my credit card and loan using my account information and they would not pay it and I had the funds, this cause me to have a late fee. When you call their Customer Service, they have no clue to what you're talking about. I am so done with this card.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I was unable to open an account probably due to their automated system mistake. And I hoped it could be sorted out manually like many other online banks do (requesting ID pics, selfies etc) but I was told “we can’t open your account and won’t provide any further Information" which is outrageous and illegal - all banks are required to disclose the reason of rejection by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. And of course, since it’s a violation of the law, I reported this bank to the Federal Reserve System which I encourage to do all other people who experienced this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Chime is great for a couple of reasons.

1) Chime offers direct deposit, and in some cases allows access to your funds up to 2 days in advance.

2) Chime has an automatic savings account. Once activated a portions of funds are set aside for emergencies. Great way to help save money.

3) No fees... If you don’t have the funds you can’t over spend. No insufficient fund fees. Banks & Credit Unions abuse Over Draft Protection, charging up to $34 per incident, even if you opted-out, charging you a fee at their discretion... The loophole is that they pay all overdrafts raping (You) their member for profit. An unexpected charge often ends up in an excessive negative balance, of which (You) member are held accountable to bring account balance positive soon, or risk account being closed.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I like that Chime bank has a great APY % on their accounts but the main thing I like is that they offer access to direct deposit 2 days earlier than payday. I would improve on the cash back features of the debit card - simply put add a debit card with this feature and then Chime Bank would be golden. Although, the direct deposit in advance features highly makes up for this; sometimes waiting for payday to arrive when I need access to money is a bit of a drag.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Low fees with no hidden fees as well. I also love that you can get paid up to 2 days early. I love banks that show customer care and this is one is the lead. I really like that you can open an automatic savings account to help save for your future. I would lower fees and add a checking account option. It is an online bank and I think they should add new features to make it more appealing. Overall it is good but needs some improvement. It is nicely organized but there is not much information. I think the app has potential but the owners are not thinking well.

Original review: May 30, 2019

It was a good online bank. They made things simple. It was easy to use online and easy to understand. The colors on the app I liked a lot because it didn't hurt my eyes. The numbers and letters are easy to read. I would improve being able to deposit checks. Since there is no actual locations this should be easy to do but it isn't. The customer service could be a lot better. When I had to call I had to wait on hold for a very long time.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I am beyond pleased with their services offered. In fact, even being a critic, I consider this the best online banking experience one could ever engage with. Theres no minimums, no monthly fees, and no ATM fees. How does it get better, really? There is not one single aspect of this application that I would alter in any way. If it was a possibility I'd love to see them partner with PayPal so there isn't transfer fees.

Not sure about Chime?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Chime Company Information