2. Finance

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I've been banking with Chime for about 4 years and have utilized almost all of their features. Direct deposits were always reliable and spending with the visa card is safe and easy to use. You can block the card using the app if you misplace it, and ordering a replacement is free if it doesn't turn up. Recently, someone obtained my account info and made about $2,100 of charges to my card. Chime honored the visa 0% liability promise and within a week the money was back into my account.

I was also one of thousands of the lucky winners of a recent $200 prize from a social media marketing promotion. I have never had any issue with Chime. My last replacement card was mailed out with a bad chip in it and Chime bank discovered the error and expedited me a new card before the malfunctioning card even arrived. Refreshing to have a bank provide such great service and reliability in an age where big banks are becoming increasing unhelpful and sometimes even rude.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have had my Chime Account for 4 or 5 months and I am happy I switched over. The app is user friendly, which is very important to me. Chime offers a lot of great little perks that make my life a little easier. I have always been able to find an atm that accepts Chime...wherever I am at. I gave them a four, only because I haven't banked with them too long. Thanks Chime.

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I'm shocked at how many people are actually placing blame on a bank for things the members did wrong!! I've been a Chime member for over a year and I was really worried about some of these reviews. Come to find out, members are doing things that are against Chime's policies and then want to blame the bank. Or they're dumb enough to fall for some scam artist calling and asking for their personal account information. Who would have their family and friend's stimulus check deposited into an account when the policy clearly states, "The recipient's name on any direct deposit MUST match the name of the account holder or the deposit will be returned." The member service agreement also says that we absolutely cannot use a third party to load money onto our cards or they will close our account.

Does anyone read the fine print anymore? Why would anyone give someone their personal security information to a complete stranger without verifying the legitimacy of the call? Chime will never call you and ask you for your card information....they already have it!! They will never allow you to load money to your card using a third party check cashing or loading service, and they will not let you put your spouse's stimulus payment into your account without verifying that it's legitimate because they do not offer joint accounts. Every single bank is under strict federal regulations to ensure prevention of money laundering. The only problem I've ever had with Chime was a deposit that didn't come two days early, like usual, but that's not a guarantee. The only other times I have had issues was with a merchant who placed a hold on my card, but that was the merchant's fault, not the bank.

I love banking without fees, getting my deposit up to two days early, and being able to categorize my spending. The Spot Me feature is also another perk that is great. It's nice to have a cushion when you're running low. If you're considering opening a Chime account, then you should absolutely do it. My only recommendation is that you READ the member services agreement and never give anyone your personal information.

Original review: March 30, 2020

My paycheck comes in about 24 after it is put in by payroll. There are no ATM fees if you use within their network and there are TONS of them. The app even shows you where they are located in your area. I lost my card and had a replacement one within a week. Lost that one (yeah I know) and that one was also replaced within a week. The Spot Me feature is phenomenal! As long as your direct deposits and paybacks are consistent your Spot Me will always be there to help. LOVE CHIME.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I had been using a traditional brick and mortar bank for a long time. I am on disability, so I get a monthly check from Social Security. With the traditional bank I was being charged an arm and a leg. I had been using auto pay to pay some bills, but with auto pay companies aren't very consistent at pushing those debits through on exact days. I get paid on the first, but auto pay changes according to days in the month. Some months are 30 days, some 31. You get the picture. I had overdraft protection on my traditional checking account. When these auto payments would go through it'd cost me $35 each time they'd bounce. It really wasn't my fault. I had told those companies I get paid on a specific day, so debits that came before that day would be rejected.

Many companies incentivize auto pay with reductions in plan costs. However, the $35 fee at my bank pretty much ate up any savings and made me short for the rest of the month. It was a huge hassle. Being on a fixed income I had to make a choice and that's when I heard about Chime. Sign up was simple. Direct deposit was straightforward. I received my card in about a week. Social Security pays on the first of the month at traditional banks. Unless the first falls on a weekend then it's the Friday prior to the first. Chime does NOT hold my deposit. Sometimes I get paid up to a week to 10 days early, despite the 2 days they claim.

In the 8 or so months I've been using Chime every single one of my direct deposits have been received at least 3 days early. Every single one. It has never been held. I recently had a billing issue with Sprint. I had helped a friend and paid his Spring bill. Well Sprint being who they are saved my card info without consent and my friend became delinquent on his Sprint bill, so they tried to go back and charge me for his account. I have never had a contract with Sprint and never will. They took $300 from me a few months ago and again attempted to take over $642 from me this month.

I have significant health issues, so I missed the $300 charge, but when I saw the declined charge for $642 it made me go back and check my account and that's when I became aware of the issue and immediately reached out to Chime. They gave me a day or so before cancelling my card to give me time to make any necessary purchases until my new card arrived and in less than 24 hours they had refunded the $300 that Sprint had taken from me.

I was honestly shocked at how quick it all happened. I honestly thought I'd just have to take the loss, but Chime went above and beyond to make it right. Now, they offer the overdraft fee free and it really comes in handy for someone like me. It's only $45, but it's no charge and with my old bank sometimes I'd end up with $2-300 in just overdrafts a month. I've learned to never use autopay in my situation and my financial situation has improved and I really credit that to Chime. They may still be working out the kinks and it's not perfect in every way, but I am a super happy Chime customer.

I've even been able to start saving a little. Social Security doesn't pay a whole lot, so being able to save is a big deal for me. They keep making changes and improvements and they are always revising their platform to benefit their users. I know some people may not have had the best experience, but for me I haven't had the first problem and I foresee a very long financial relationship with them. I've even talked a few people into giving them a go. Everyone seems happy with their decision. If you're on the fence I say go for it. You really dont have a whole lot to lose. Just remember you need to read the service contracts and agreements for everything you use, especially your bank. I'm completely satisfied with Chime. They've really given me the tools to get my finances in order. Plus, it is so easy to use and navigate.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I received a Chime debit card that I never applied for. Someone also opened an unemployment claim in my name so obviously my info has been compromised. I tried calling but there are no options to speak to a person. I can’t access my so called account because the scammer used a different phone number than what mine actually is. I tried emailing but all I received was... “We experienced intermittent issues with our mobile and web services. We appreciate your patience as we are experiencing extremely large contact volumes and we may take longer to get back to you than normal.” 12hrs later and nothing! How’s that when your panic stricken and may have your account cleaned out? Think long and hard before you open an account with this sham outfit.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I disputed a $200.00 charge on my debit card. I had paid a current merchant out of my other bank account. I removed all information from their app before I closed it out. They still managed to withdraw money out of my Chime account. I disputed the charge back on 11/5/2020. I filled out all the paperwork and sent it in twice on 11/6 and 11/7. I called twice and the first lady told me that because of the holiday I should hear back from them on the 23rd. The 23rd came and I still did not see a provisional credit or any email from chime. I called today 11/24. The guy had a hard time pulling up any of my information saying that he doesn't see my dispute form.

He transfer me over to a manager and he said that he will escalate and that Ii should hear something in 3 business. SMH. I have emails stating that if they cant not resolve your dispute in 10 business days you will get a provisional credit and still I have nothing. Nobody was helpful nor did they care. If I had a regular bank I would of had a credit the same day if not the next.

A couple months ago I had the same issue. I ordered something off a current website and they shipped it the wrong address. merchant was giving me a hard time so I called chime and disputed it. They said it did not qualify for a provisional credit and that that I should hear from them by Sept. Mind you I disputed this charge back in July. I eventually was able to get the merchant to refund me. Almost two months later chime finally wrote me back saying that they see that the merchant had refunded me. I'm like no duh!!!. It took the merchant 3 weeks to issue a refund and chime took almost the 90 days to hear anything back. It's terrible. Once I finish this last dispute with them I am closing my account.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I received a letter with a W-9 form for me to complete earlier this month, because there was a discrepancy with my last name. I completed the form and mailed it back. I sent an email to Chime Support to ask if my completed form was received. I was told by an online representative that my paperwork was received and that my account was safe and would not be closed. When I try to log into my account today, I am unable to and was told that my account was closed because of my name discrepancy by online support. When I send screenshots of the emails from last week, where an online representative from Chime informed me that my account would not be closed, I receive no communication back.

I have now send 5 emails asking for an update to my account and have not received any type of communication back. I have been waiting for an hour or more. This is very unprofessional when dealing with someone's money being held up for Chime's mistake. Even if there is a discrepancy, I showed proof where I was told by their representative that I had nothing to worry about, and now I'm not receiving any communication. This has turned out to be a terrible company to do banking with on top of them not having a live customer service representative to talk to directly when customers have concerns such as this. I am very unhappy with Chime and their dealings.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

Yesterday I contacted Chime via chat to tell them about a charge I did not recognize. I could not find any information on the company in question so I turned to chime chat to ask for help finding where exactly the charge came from. I repeatedly told the rep do not cancel my card I have bills due and Christmas is here as chime takes way to long sending replacement cards! I got up this morning with a notification from Amazon that chime did not pay saying I had cancelled my card! I did not authorize this cancellation so immediately I called chime to explain my issue. The rep I spoke to was a supervisor and was the rudest person I’ve ever experienced talking to! She would not listen to what I had to say. She would talk over me. When I finally did get her to listen she just kept saying uh huh uh huh suggesting to me that she cared nothing about my issues and was unwilling to help and that’s exactly what she did ... nothing to help resolve my issues.

Now as a result I won’t have access to the direct deposit that goes in later today so I won’t be able to pay my past due water and electric bill so my services will be terminated tomorrow and my daughter will not have a Christmas! I am so upset that I was treated this way by chime and that the rep was 100% unsympathetic and unhelpful actually felt like I was bothering them. I don’t know what to do. I have no way to keep my utilities on. I’m a single mom with no other accounts to depend on.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Chime seriously sucks. It says $0 monthly fees but they make up for it with all these hidden fees when you withdraw money from an ATM. It’s an online bank, NOT A REAL ONE. Their customer service & agents SUCK, they don’t actually give you the help you need, AND a lot of the “benefits” they list in commercials are a lie. Honestly, screw Chime. You can seriously find a better bank wherever you are.

Chime Company Information