2. Finance
  3. Online Banks

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: May 2, 2020

I'm shocked at how many people are actually placing blame on a bank for things the members did wrong!! I've been a Chime member for over a year and I was really worried about some of these reviews. Come to find out, members are doing things that are against Chime's policies and then want to blame the bank. Or they're dumb enough to fall for some scam artist calling and asking for their personal account information. Who would have their family and friend's stimulus check deposited into an account when the policy clearly states, "The recipient's name on any direct deposit MUST match the name of the account holder or the deposit will be returned." The member service agreement also says that we absolutely cannot use a third party to load money onto our cards or they will close our account.

Does anyone read the fine print anymore? Why would anyone give someone their personal security information to a complete stranger without verifying the legitimacy of the call? Chime will never call you and ask you for your card information....they already have it!! They will never allow you to load money to your card using a third party check cashing or loading service, and they will not let you put your spouse's stimulus payment into your account without verifying that it's legitimate because they do not offer joint accounts. Every single bank is under strict federal regulations to ensure prevention of money laundering. The only problem I've ever had with Chime was a deposit that didn't come two days early, like usual, but that's not a guarantee. The only other times I have had issues was with a merchant who placed a hold on my card, but that was the merchant's fault, not the bank.

I love banking without fees, getting my deposit up to two days early, and being able to categorize my spending. The Spot Me feature is also another perk that is great. It's nice to have a cushion when you're running low. If you're considering opening a Chime account, then you should absolutely do it. My only recommendation is that you READ the member services agreement and never give anyone your personal information.

Original review: March 30, 2020

My paycheck comes in about 24 after it is put in by payroll. There are no ATM fees if you use within their network and there are TONS of them. The app even shows you where they are located in your area. I lost my card and had a replacement one within a week. Lost that one (yeah I know) and that one was also replaced within a week. The Spot Me feature is phenomenal! As long as your direct deposits and paybacks are consistent your Spot Me will always be there to help. LOVE CHIME.

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I had been using a traditional brick and mortar bank for a long time. I am on disability, so I get a monthly check from Social Security. With the traditional bank I was being charged an arm and a leg. I had been using auto pay to pay some bills, but with auto pay companies aren't very consistent at pushing those debits through on exact days. I get paid on the first, but auto pay changes according to days in the month. Some months are 30 days, some 31. You get the picture. I had overdraft protection on my traditional checking account. When these auto payments would go through it'd cost me $35 each time they'd bounce. It really wasn't my fault. I had told those companies I get paid on a specific day, so debits that came before that day would be rejected.

Many companies incentivize auto pay with reductions in plan costs. However, the $35 fee at my bank pretty much ate up any savings and made me short for the rest of the month. It was a huge hassle. Being on a fixed income I had to make a choice and that's when I heard about Chime. Sign up was simple. Direct deposit was straightforward. I received my card in about a week. Social Security pays on the first of the month at traditional banks. Unless the first falls on a weekend then it's the Friday prior to the first. Chime does NOT hold my deposit. Sometimes I get paid up to a week to 10 days early, despite the 2 days they claim.

In the 8 or so months I've been using Chime every single one of my direct deposits have been received at least 3 days early. Every single one. It has never been held. I recently had a billing issue with Sprint. I had helped a friend and paid his Spring bill. Well Sprint being who they are saved my card info without consent and my friend became delinquent on his Sprint bill, so they tried to go back and charge me for his account. I have never had a contract with Sprint and never will. They took $300 from me a few months ago and again attempted to take over $642 from me this month.

I have significant health issues, so I missed the $300 charge, but when I saw the declined charge for $642 it made me go back and check my account and that's when I became aware of the issue and immediately reached out to Chime. They gave me a day or so before cancelling my card to give me time to make any necessary purchases until my new card arrived and in less than 24 hours they had refunded the $300 that Sprint had taken from me.

I was honestly shocked at how quick it all happened. I honestly thought I'd just have to take the loss, but Chime went above and beyond to make it right. Now, they offer the overdraft fee free and it really comes in handy for someone like me. It's only $45, but it's no charge and with my old bank sometimes I'd end up with $2-300 in just overdrafts a month. I've learned to never use autopay in my situation and my financial situation has improved and I really credit that to Chime. They may still be working out the kinks and it's not perfect in every way, but I am a super happy Chime customer.

I've even been able to start saving a little. Social Security doesn't pay a whole lot, so being able to save is a big deal for me. They keep making changes and improvements and they are always revising their platform to benefit their users. I know some people may not have had the best experience, but for me I haven't had the first problem and I foresee a very long financial relationship with them. I've even talked a few people into giving them a go. Everyone seems happy with their decision. If you're on the fence I say go for it. You really dont have a whole lot to lose. Just remember you need to read the service contracts and agreements for everything you use, especially your bank. I'm completely satisfied with Chime. They've really given me the tools to get my finances in order. Plus, it is so easy to use and navigate.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Chime is great for a couple of reasons.

1) Chime offers direct deposit, and in some cases allows access to your funds up to 2 days in advance.

2) Chime has an automatic savings account. Once activated a portions of funds are set aside for emergencies. Great way to help save money.

3) No fees... If you don’t have the funds you can’t over spend. No insufficient fund fees. Banks & Credit Unions abuse Over Draft Protection, charging up to $34 per incident, even if you opted-out, charging you a fee at their discretion... The loophole is that they pay all overdrafts raping (You) their member for profit. An unexpected charge often ends up in an excessive negative balance, of which (You) member are held accountable to bring account balance positive soon, or risk account being closed.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

In today's economy, financial services and banking, online banking has become very necessary. The convenience, easy to use, and easy access when you need it. I like how it cuts my banking time down to a few minutes without having to step outside my home. They can even write a check and they'll send it for me, all from my mobile phone or PC, without me having to lick a stamp.

Original review: July 7, 2020

Promised provisional credit or an email by 7/6 and I got none. An agent tried to tell me I hadn’t submitted it. They are unprofessional and liars. I have pictures to prove. Do Not use Chime. Netspend is your best bet and they are worse. These people are sharks. Took $200 from me.

Original review: July 2, 2020

On June 22, 2020 I received notice of suspicious activity on my account and was notified that a hold was placed on my account. I contacted Chime immediately and was asked to provide documentation verifying my identity and source of funds. The original agent I spoke with was also in contact with a member of the Support team, by the name of Morgana, who confirmed she received all the documentation that I submitted. I was informed it takes 1-3 business days to review my documentation and for the matter to be resolved. I received a follow up email on the next day, June 23, requesting additional documentation.

I contacted customer service after sending the additional documentation and was eventually transferred to a supervisor by the name of Louis. He informed me that agents Clark & Morgana of the Support team were both currently working on my case and that they are the only department who can authorize the release of the hold. I asked numerous general questions about my account which he had no answer for and after being excessively rude and belligerent to me, he proceeded to end the call as I was speaking.

I explained that I recently opened my Chime account (May 2020) and that my unemployment benefits are the only funds that have been deposited to the account. I received multiples deposits on June 5, 2020 as New York State owed me several weeks of back pay. I sent all the documentation showing each deposit and the date it was released from NYS and the day it was sent to Chime.

On June 25, 2020 I receive an email stating final request of additional documentation in which I resent everything I have already sent including my license, FDNY ID (as that was my former employer), 2019 W2, copy of my lease, copy of my electric bill, copy of online unemployment portal (stating when my benefits start/end, amount received, and date of every payment issued).

I received a follow up email on June 29, 2020 from Sheree on the Support team requesting the same documentation again. I obliged to the request and sent the information again. I contacted customer service on July 1 and was informed that I would receive a follow up email by close of business and have yet to hear back from Chime Support. ALL COMMUNICATION WITH THE SUPPORT TEAM HAS STOPPED!!! I have not received any more communication with them since June 29, 2020 even after emailing back directly from their email. I need assistance with this immediately as this is a huge financial burden on my family.

Below is a list of agents that I have spoken with over the last two weeks with their agent # if they provided it:

Jave (**) very unhelpful and unprofessional, constantly gave false information.
      Luis (**) *Supervisor* very rude, unprofessional, belligerent and hung up on me.
      Caroline (**) very unprofessional and informed me that there was nothing she could assist with.
      Matthew (**) *Supervisor* informed me I would receive a follow up from Support by end of business 7/1, yet never received.
      Amy (No ID Provided) extremely rude, refused to give her ID number and ended the call as I was speaking.

Clark (**) was supposed to be assisting my case as per Louis yet I have received no communication from him.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I read how great this bank is? I set up direct deposit for my social security check. I called and notified the. I would be using my debit card once my check was direct deposited in my account. I was planning on eating and staying a hotel instead of being homeless and on the streets. The next day, they froze my account forcing me into a homeless shelter. I call and asked why the hold. I was told by agent that I used my debit card too many times! I pressed the issue and talked to a supervisor who informed me that chime bank was uncomfortable with the source of my funds. I reminded them that the deposit clearly came from the Social Security Administration and question why? They hung up on me and closed my account without notice or reason.

Now, it has been 10 days, they won't take my call because they say, I don't have an account with them yet they still have my $2,000 and will not return it! I need some help from consumer affairs as well as some free legal services because what they have done is unethical and illegal. They said I broke there agreement by using arm 5 times in a day and the source of funding from the Social Security Administration was suspect. I need that money back to get a place to stay and eat! They are crooks and this us exactly how the whole thing went down! I need some help here! DO NOT USE CHIME BANK, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF. The funds where direct deposit and immediately good! Why am I waiting 10 days and counting for my refund!

Original review: June 30, 2020

Almost impossible to speak with a person, an horrendous fraud support system, very unresponsive, will say they will do things they won't, (they lied to my face). They are not trustworthy and I will cancel my account.

Original review: June 30, 2020

STAY AWAY. At first Chime is cool. They process payments early, which is a really nice thing that I’m surprised most financial institutions don’t do. That said, the experience changes if your card/account is hacked or stolen. Once I realized my account was being fraudulently used I notified Chime, which in itself is a bit of a painful process, and I was surprised at how things went south from there.

After notifying Chime of the issue they basically treated me like I was the one at fault for the whole fiasco. I was required to fill out a lengthy form that had to be printed and filled out (couldn’t do it online) and then scanned and sent in. Then I received no word from them till I called and waited on hold for 20 or 30 minutes. When I finally got through to someone, he was less than empathetic to the whole situation. He (his name was Andrew) also told me I had to make changes to the form and send it back in. It’s important to note that during this pandemic I’ve lost my job and my girlfriend and I are in quarantine (doctor’s orders) meaning we can’t get to a printer/scanner (ours broke)… But Chime could really care less.

I requested to speak to a supervisor and spoke with Singh (not sure I spelled that right) to explain the situation and try to get a resolution. This was ultimately pointless as Singh didn’t seem to care at all and really seemed annoyed with me. He actually told me, if I don’t want to refill out the form then that’s my problem and I just won’t get my money back. I made my initial claim of fraud on 6/18 and today, 6/30, I have yet to receive my money back. Chime has made zero attempts to contact me regarding my claim, they do not respond to my emails, their chat feature prompts me to call customer support and they have ridiculously long wait times for their customer support line.

I’ve worked in customer service before, and this is not how it is supposed to be done. I’ve also experienced this type of thing where my account was fraudulently used once before with a local credit union (Fairwinds). When I reported my issue to Fairwinds they immediately put the money back in my account and sent me a new card. That was that. I went along with my life and things were fine. That has not been the experience with Chime.

I don’t normally post reviews on companies like this, but this really is a horrible experience and I feel like I need to warn everyone who’s using Chime and/or thinking of using Chime about this type of situation. In case there was any question about it, I plan on closing my account with Chime once this issue is resolved and I have my money returned.

Chime Company Information