3.7/5 (861 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Sarah Barbour
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Chime

Chime is a financial technology company that aims to provide helpful and easy-to-use online banking services. You can open a checking account, a savings account with a 0.5% annual percentage yield and a secured credit card that helps increase your credit score. Chime charges no monthly fees and no overdraft fees. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are at least 18 can apply on Chime’s website or using its app.

Pros

• 0.5% APY on savings account
  • No-fee overdraft protection up to $200
  • Secured credit card with no fees
  • Over 60,000 fee-free ATMs

Cons

• Some services require direct deposit
  • No joint accounts or secondary cards

Bottom Line

Chime is a mobile banking fintech company offering checking and savings accounts, along with a secured credit card. There are almost no fees. Some services are available only to members who use direct deposit.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I made a purchase then didn’t need the service I paid for after all. I spoke to the merchant and they had not received the payment yet and was told to speak to my bank. I called Chime immediately. I was advised to file a dispute. The time frame to get this resolved I want told was October. I called to check on the status and a supervisor informed me that my case was handled incorrectly and a dispute should never had been filed. I spoke to 3 different supervisors and all 3 had different resolutions.

I had one agent tell me I was overdue for a credit, then another tell me that was incorrect and gave me a different time frame. 3 weeks later no credit to my acct, no resolution whatsoever. Lots of apologies, zero action. I cannot tell you the amount of regret that I feel for opening an acct with Chime. I’ve been lied to several times, misinformed and treated so poorly. I do not recommend Chime to anyone. I rate 1 star because I had to complete this review, they receive zero stars from me.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I don't even know where to begin... I requested a new credit builder card twice never received it. And tonight Axl, one of the staff in the department cancelled my card because he said it was reported stolen when I never reported it stolen. Now I have no access to my funds for the next week. I called several times and they hung up on me 4 times! I finally spoke to a supervisor who claimed that my card was active until Sunday. I went to use the card after being told this and it was still reported as stolen so I called again and they wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. The guy on the phone when I told him my concerns told me that I could just pay for my gas over the internet. Extremely incompetent. Worst bank there is out there. Had issues since the day I opened my account. Can't wait to close it after I can finally withdrawal my funds.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

While there are definite positives to banking at Chime, to me, the negatives far outweigh them. Some positives are that you often get direct deposits a day or two quicker, which is nice. And you can overdraw a certain amount (starts at $20 I think - despite their claims about $100, and slowly moves up. After 2 years I'm at $80) without any fees. There aren't any of those pesky bank fees which is nice; however, I'd rather pay a small fee and get decent service, which brings me to the negatives.

Dispute process is an absolute joke - they don't reimburse you for 10 business days and the entire process is a huge hassle. Literally anytime I've needed assistance they've been unable to assist me. Their mobile check deposit system is really picky and only works with zero shadows on the check and all of these other conditions that are difficult to meet. They often send you emails that are the exact opposite of what is going on (for example: today I got an email saying my card got disabled due to fraud but I had discussed disabling my card tomorrow at midnight with an agent. Turns out my card isn't disabled after all.)

And don't even try to deposit cash -- it's an absolute nightmare. You literally have to go to Walmart or 7-11 and pay a significant fee to deposit it it's comical. I do not recommend this, especially with all the fraud out there. Better to stick to a real bank even though you have to pay fees and wait a little longer for your check. It'll be worth it when stuff goes wrong, trust me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

So I've had Chime for about 2 months now. I have been pretty happy with them. I absolutely love their credit builder and the spot me but recently I had a hold on my card for uhaul. After I returned the truck they would refund that money and take what I actually owed them. Everything on Uhaul's end was done. Chime however never refunded that money from the hold. They are trying to say that it was released back to my account but it wasn't. Not only that but they also completely make the hold transaction disappear. They were not helpful at all with getting my money back to me. And they need to not take hold transactions off of your statements. It should be in there that it was taken out then when it is refunded back it should show that also.

They tried telling me that it was taken out of my funds when it clearly was. If you look at my transactions before it disappeared it clearly shows where it was subtracted from my money and it was never added back to my account. Have to say I am very disappointed in this because I really do like them but this is absolutely ridiculous that they cannot see that it was never added back to my account. I kept track of what went out and what came in.

Original review: July 31, 2021

I really wish there was a way to give negative stars!!! This joke of a bank should be closed immediately!! I had 5 unauthorized transactions on my account and tried contacting Chime as soon as they happened and was told I had to wait until they post and then file a dispute which I did. On the 10th business day I get an email stating they denied my claim and will not be receiving any credit! Wtf! All they had to do was pull the video footage! I have since filed a police report, filed a report on CFPB, BBB and FDIC against them and if I don't have my money back soon I'm filing a lawsuit! This scam artist company should not be allowed to do this with our own hard earned money!

Original review: July 29, 2021

My account was suspended without warning for no valid reason and they made it extremely difficult to get my money back! It took me over a year to get a check mailed to me. They demanded a ridiculous amount of information for a trivial amount of money and tried to refuse to close my account and refund the money. Chime will try to steal your money!

Original review: July 28, 2021

I was a member for four years. Just switched to Chase and added my direct deposit yesterday. I fear my account being closed for no reason and also tired of being declined for no reason. I’d rather be paid on my actual day than early.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Chime is a mobile banking app. I have very mixed feelings about Chime. It is VERY frustrating that they boast about their two-day early direct deposits, when in actuality it is VERY RARE that they even deposit my paycheck in my account two days early. It's very willy-nilly on the timing. Also, they are VERY hard to reach. I had an issue trying to pay bills online. The only way to "talk" with anyone at Chime was through their chat. It's frustrating that every time I had to get out of chat to do what they had me do, I would get another person and have to start my story over and over and over and over and over and over. I finally got so tired of re-explaining things I just paid another way on all my bills.

Additionally, I cannot get their mobile deposit part of the app to work. None of the checks I've tried to deposit are ever accepted. The best part of Chime is the Spot Me part of their app. It's nice that if you accidentally go over your balance by a couple of dollars that your aren't charged $30, $40, $50 or more dollars. As a teacher, I live on a very tight budget, as we only get paid once a month. I chose Chime because my husband passed away and I was relocating for jobs. It's nice when moving jobs that I don't have to keep closing accounts and opening accounts. I can provide my employer immediate account info for direct deposit. There are always pros and cons to bank and credit unions. There is no perfect banking institution so I stay with Chime till something better comes along.

Original review: July 27, 2021

Horrible customer service. Was on the phone for 1 hour to resolve an error on their end. Caused insurance lapse on my auto. Got transferred 6 times to different departments just to hear that the company would not immediately correct their mistake. I'm already looking for another bank, this one is garbage.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Worst company ever, they let me order and set up my acct and card and I even was able to load funds to it but one day afterward went to get cash to pay a bill and was told for random reasons my acct is closed. Oh and no you cant speak to a real person and the emails are automatically generated so guess it sucks if you want your money back and was told via robot email that my money after 3 weeks should be sent out in a check form like wtf really and it's been well over that and still no check. Shocker. You dont throw your rent money away to these thieves like I unknowingly did because you wont get it back.

Original review: July 25, 2021

On 04/24/2021 Google*Luxy Limited $423.99+$254.39=$678.38 I filed a dispute with Chime Banks Dispute Dept., was given a time frame Of 90=07/24/2021, that they would have a final decision to refund the said amount listed above. It is now 90 days today they still haven't made a decision, nor have they returned my funds. It's been constant game playing for 90 days, now they are saying that have all night to make a decision because they're open 24/7.

I asked for a provisional credit since I've waited for so long, I was told that my particular transaction does not qualify for a provisional credit. Then, when I called them again at 4:30 pm on 07/24/2021, now it’s at the end of their business day ends at 9 pm on Saturday. At 4:54 I Spoke To Roxanne manager on duty Chime employee ID **, Who is now saying that my claim was actually supposed to have a decision on 07/23/2021, instead of 07/24/2021, she has to now escalate it to the investigations dept. to, make the final decision, and someone will reach out to me within 3 business days after I already waited 90 days.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Getting a Chime card and account was the best idea I’ve had in years. No overdraft fees, no surprises and the app is amazing!! Big banks scam is but chime is not one of them. I can’t say enough about it and I’ve had it over a year now!!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

I love it. I opened it thinking it was just some bogus account but I fell in love with it. It's everything. I recommend it to my friends and family. Why wouldn't you have a Chime. At this day and age they're really lit.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Chime has been a blessing from A-Z. From getting paid a little early to having a Spot me, and then be able to get a Boost?!? Really? Awesome, as well as my one dispute was handled promptly. Excellent!

Original review: July 18, 2021

I have had an active Chime checking account for about 14 months now. All of my deposits, transfers, withdrawals have gone absolutely smooth. The Spot Me feature is amazing if you ever get into a bind. Soon after I add it on the Credit Builder card and immediately saw an increase in my credit score. I now have a chime savings account. Between the three I can transfer funds immediately. No delays, no hesitations. After banking with some of the larger Banks out there I feel like the customer support for chime is way better. Outside of a local credit union this is the absolute best option to go! I have been very happy.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Best bank I've had so far. I love the Spot Me feature. As well as getting paid early. The only cons are some places don't see it as a "real" bank and that there aren't a lot of free ATMS in my area. Other than that it gets 5 stars.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I signed up for Chime well over a year ago. I have never once had an issue with app, card or my money. I have savings, checking, and credit builder card. Highly recommend to anyone. When they say free they mean free!

Original review: July 18, 2021

Chime gives a breath of fresh air in the mobile banking sector as being one of the first to offer a larger option to overdraft without charges than any other company. Would highly recommend. Thankful for them.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I would like to say, this bank has been a total blessing with lots of perks to add in. They are good at keeping me informed on any transactions that were made without my knowledge, and just sent me a new card right away after I had to submit it stolen. They also care about their customers.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Chime is everything they claim to be. They help me get through the month with Spot Me and friends can send $5 boosts to increase your Spot Me. They have a $75 referral for successful sign ups and so much more. Thanks Chime.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Absolutely love this card. Helpful in all aspects of managing account as well as their credit builder card is helpful as far as getting my credit score back on track. Would recommend this card to anyone that's tired of the runaround with traditional banking institutions.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I opened this account basically just to get my direct deposits into. However, I have opened up a bank account, savings account, a credit card, and debit card without any chance of overdrawing this account. This was my first actual bank account all by myself at 42 years old. When I say I cannot over draw my bank account, I mean that they front you money until your next paycheck comes in without being penalized for doing so. I also get my paycheck a day early. However, when I was a temporary at my job I did get it 2 days early. So that depends on your HR department at work as well.

When I need help, there is a virtual assistant in my mobile online banking. However, if that doesn't do the job you can call to talk with a customer representative. Every time I needed help my problem was resolved immediately. I have learned a lot using Chime without being criticized for my ignorance to how banking works. I also was able to link my bank account that I share with my husband. I enjoy using CHIME BANKING and recommend it to anyone wanting a new account.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Chime has been nothing but great for me. I get my paycheck and other allotments early, they spot me up to a hundred bucks instead of charging me fees and not clearing the transaction. I don’t have to worry about any hidden fees either. Moving to chime was the best decision I ever made. Now the brick and mortar banks are trying to imitate chime while discrediting it at the same time. I am also a veteran so my disability also got to chime and there are times when I get it three or four days early. If you don’t do anything else this year, give chime a try and I bet you will not regret it. You may not want to use regular banks ever again after using chime. Thanks.

Original review: July 17, 2021

They help you get paid early and spot you without fees to your next payday!! They added Boost now that you can send to friends. With more improvements to Chime. They keep trying to do more for the consumer!!!

Original review: July 17, 2021

At first I was skeptical about going through a banking app. I had heard so many mixed reviews, but I've been dealing with Chime almost over 6 months now and I actually Love It. They're understanding when you have questions, The No Fee Overdraft is amazing and they have many no fee ATMs around the city that are easy to find and withdraw money. Also I have a Chime Credit Builder Card and just within a month my credit has went up 50+ points. I LOVE THEM and I recommend to any and everyone.

Original review: July 17, 2021

It's easier to use than traditional banking. Plus, they protect my finances far better. I'm very happy. I also love my credit card. Everything is very easy to use and understand. I'm always recommending Chime to friends and family.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I do everything with Chime all the way up to fixing my credit so I can buy a house next year. Anyone can use this card. It's great for elderly people to get financial help when they need it. The money goes straight to their card for quick use.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I love Chime, they are easy to Bank with and I enjoy getting paid two days early. Also I love the credit builder options and the sweepstakes they offer, although I haven't won one yet...lol. Fingers crossed!!!!

Original review: July 16, 2021

Chime is the best banking solution I have the privilege of using. My funds hit early and on time every time. Then their credit card is simple to use and has been building my credit. Chime was a excellent investment.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Our family loves Chime. It is so easy to transfer money back and forth to each other and between our own accounts. No overdraft fees and you just tip if you want if you overdraft and they cover. We are def a Chine family.

Chime Company Information