3.7/5 (882 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Sarah Barbour
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Chime

Chime is a financial technology company that aims to provide helpful and easy-to-use online banking services. You can open a checking account, a savings account with a 0.5% annual percentage yield and a secured credit card that helps increase your credit score. Chime charges no monthly fees and no overdraft fees. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are at least 18 can apply on Chime’s website or using its app.

Pros

• 0.5% APY on savings account
  • No-fee overdraft protection up to $200
  • Secured credit card with no fees
  • Over 60,000 fee-free ATMs

Cons

• Some services require direct deposit
  • No joint accounts or secondary cards

Bottom Line

Chime is a mobile banking fintech company offering checking and savings accounts, along with a secured credit card. There are almost no fees. Some services are available only to members who use direct deposit.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: April 28, 2022

This is ridiculous. I requested five of my checks images and info, total about 3K that weren’t credit to my recipient bank account. Two weeks later, I was pissed and told them it was unacceptable, I would close the account after I cleared with this issue. They advised how to close the account without providing my info.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Don’t do Chime. On March 23, 2022 at 1:16 PM Chime had a sweepstakes #WhyIChime and an agent name Williams ** said that I won and asked me for sensitive information. Now I know that this is the actual prompted Chime for privacy purposes and security. This person know the ins and outs of how this company operates and went into my account. Stolen huge sum of money from me. When that happened I was locked out of my account for 24 hours. This person updated all my information to theirs and I was locked out of my account. After I stop crying I thought about the number that was attached to the date but it was too late. They were took money from my checking, savings and credit builder.

Once I got through to Chime I put in a dispute for the transactions that occurred that I did not authorize. It all else failed I called the police involved in Greensboro North Carolina and Salem New Hampshire where the crime took place. All this happen in 24 hours or less. I have proof that this occurred and Chime is not taking it seriously. I am stressed and appalled by this company's negligence on this type of crime. I want Chime to do their job to reimburse me for the money that I lost due to their flawed security.

Original review: April 11, 2022

After 2 replacement cards sent and still not working I have decided to shut down the account. Furthermore, the reps and supervisors look like be on ** and are unable to provide basic info. The overall customer service is terrible. Chime charges also hidden fees on transaction but, this did not happen to me since providentially I was not able to transfer funds between the link account with my bank. Overall sub zero or black hole stars.... if are zombies like that eventual security problems will arise. Again, the customer service is terrible wasting your time and does not deserve respect. I have eliminated this headache and already I feel better.

Original review: April 9, 2022

On Monday April 4th 2022, Chime froze my account because I logged into my account with my second phone because my original phone unfortunately had broken and had to be repaired. I received a message as I was attempting to log in that my account was frozen and I had to email review@chime.com. Upon doing so I was told that I needed to provide a valid state-issued ID, and proof of address which could be a bill and the message stated that this could take 48 hours to resolve. I have since sent those document literally 5 minutes after I receive that message. I have reached out to Chime via phone literally four times a day to get an update on where my status was as my account is still frozen 5 days later.

I have sent emails a total of 15 times to both review@chime.com and support@chime.com and I've yet to get a response since then my payroll check was sent to Chime and according to my company they have not received it back yet therefore I cannot be paid until they do. Also all of the funds that were in my account all Frozen what is around the sum of $500. We are living paycheck-to-paycheck and I have since lost two paychecks and Chime has showed me nothing but disrespect. When you call Chime they consistently tell you there's nothing that they can do over the phone and that their review team is reviewing my case and I have to wait through the process. Although they say the process can take up to 48 hours it's well past that.

When you call Chime they ask you for your name, your email address, the last four of your Social Security number, your physical address, phone number, they ask what was the last transaction in my account, and at this point, they have my state-issued ID, as well as proof of my address, a bill with my name on it. How much more of my personal info do they need to Simply prove I am who I say I am. They also made it sound like I was sending in a fake bill because it wasn't a PDF. I am so tired of the disrespect. So yes I even sent it as a PDF.

Original review: April 7, 2022

This business you can't even call a business. They are misleading. You have to get through a robot before you can talk to a person. Took my money, wouldn't give it to me but allowed me to send it to someone who didn't have an account instantly. When I finally got to speak to a human to close my account he tried to tell me his name was Bill. Clearly that was a lie. Also I would not recommend anyone using this. If I could give it a negative 100 I would and apparently I have to give them at least a star because it's required. The star I gave is by force not by choice. A negative is what I would give.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I have a pending transaction that was made by a merchant by mistake, (amount) was corrected and payment deleted on merchant side within 20 minutes of error. Was told by 3 different people from Chime that I would have to wait 3 different time frames for it to fall off. First was 3 days (business days) then 5 days and now 7 which means I will not have access to my money for over 11 days. The merchant did make the mistake but corrected but Chime will not take the initiative to release my money even when I provided them with a contact to clear it up.

I know it can be done because other banks I have used in the past have helped out when this happens. All 3 "agents" at Chime were condescending - rude and blamed each other for the mistakes. I was told that I had the wrong department yet it was their computer that sent me there. I have no faith in them. I need a bank that will not hold my money "hostage". I even explained that I have payments bouncing - can't go to the grocery store etc. until the money is released. I was told I should plan my bills better???

Original review: March 18, 2022

The IRS say I should see received my tax return on the March 16. Now it is Friday the 18th. I have a feeling they stole my money and they lied a lot and very rude and disrespectful and the head manager hang up on you

Original review: March 18, 2022

I had this service for almost 2 years and thought it was great. I very rarely ever had any problems and when I did it was always rectified very quickly but read the fine print everything is run by computers. There is no humans at all. They will pretend to be human but they are not and if your direct deposit misses by even $1 the commitments that they lay out no matter how long you've been a customer with them.

Original review: March 15, 2022

I had a few questions about what Chime's functionalities actually were since the online description was rather vague. I just wanted to know if it could be used without having any direct deposit set up. After going back and forth with automated emails, preprogrammed responses and maybe 1 real human, I was told they cannot tell me anything about Chime's functionality period unless I submitted an application with all my private data AND have it approved. So just to ask one question I have to risk my credit score and trust an already shady business. Please avoid their services like the plaque! I wanted to file a complaint with the BBB except Chime isn't even accredited!

Original review: March 11, 2022

Allowed fraudulent charges on my Chime card without my activation and refused to refund money. Due to previously disputed charges I requested a replacement card, card never showed up. I reviewed my account and noticed charge hours old which Chime said I could not dispute. How could this happen if I didn't have a card in my possession?

Original review: March 9, 2022

On March 2 2022 someone withdraw $900 at ATM machine. I was at work at the time and have the credit card in my possession. I never claimed as stolen or lost. I put a complaint the same day. 5 days later they closed my case with no explanation, no help and no proof. Actually scammers and it's supposed to be protected by the FDIC. Yeah right. Don't trust this credit card (Chime). They are fake. Company. Location. San Francisco California far to deal with them in person.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I bought something online that I never received. The seller kept saying they would refund and didn’t! Chime denied my dispute as well as rebuttal even though I provided proof including the email thread with seller where the seller kept saying they were trying to refund and kept lying to me because they are clearly scammers, I rebutted 3 times and emailed with the seller until dec each time providing new emails or new info and chime still denied to refund my money! Seriously why are they backed by the fed reserve? I’m making a complaint…. Also the outages - what’s up with not being able to use my bank when needed because there’s an outage! Do yourself a favor and don’t use Chime.

Original review: March 4, 2022

Do not use Chime!!!! I recently opened an account with them, got my new debit card and had direct deposit. Went to withdraw cash from the atm...declined! Invalid transaction! I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with them after being on hold for a half hour and they couldn’t find any issues with my account or debit card! The guy had me drive around to different atms and registers trying the card over and over he had me change my pin several times and he could not see any reason why it would not work. He put on hold for a supervisor, another 20 minutes, who then also had me go to another atm and try again and told me to send them a picture of the error code there was no codes just a message saying “invalid transaction”! So 3 hours on the phone, almost a half a tank of gas and I have no access to my money now! They asked me if I have a “friend” that I can transfer to and have them withdraw the cash for me and give it me!!! Outrageous!!!

The only options I have is to wait for a new debit card (because I’m going to trust a second one) or transfer the money to another one of my personal accounts which will take 5 business days!!!! I need that money so badly now and they have no resolution and no answers for why there’s even a problem with their debit card! All they kept telling me was that “on their end they can see that everything is active and enabled…no issues at all”! But they apologized several times which does not help me get my money!! I asked them to not deactivate the card until I received the new one and activated that one which they said was fine and literally five minutes later I received an email that they now deactivated the card!

As soon as get my money out I am completely DONE with this company who has no idea about their own **!! Chime is a horrible company and I really wish I would have read reviews first!! Lesson learned! Broke, out of gas, no dog food, and in debt! And No I don’t have any friends that I can transfer the money to! I couldn’t even believe they suggested that!

Original review: March 1, 2022

I'm unable to get a Chime prepaid debit card. I have no idea why. Probably isn't worth it anyway. They are a HUGE pain to deal with!!! I enter all of my info and go through all the steps, just to be told at the very end that they won't have anything to do with me. JERKS!!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I have a checking and savings account with Chime and have demanded for over a year that they close the zero balance accounts. To this date and ignoring multiple requests, Chime continues to refuse to close the checking and savings account.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I have been a customer for quite some time. This past Friday, somebody was able to access my account and change my telephone number and cancel both my Credit Builder and Debit card. I wasn’t aware until Saturday morning around 0740. You would think you would be able to contact customer service for fraudulent activity, but guess what? You can’t!!! Called the 800 number listed and per their lovely IVR system “my number is not on file and since I can’t verify the last four digits on my card I would need to EMAIL customer support.” What in the actual??

So then it began, I emailed, no response. Then it seems the hacker started disputing charges I have made and was getting them credited to my account. Each email I responded to and begged for someone to contact me. Still no response. Next, received an email that an external account was linked. Disputed that via email with no response. Now $1100 was being transferred, disputed that via email. No response. All this was all before Noon. I continued to email support and was not receiving a response at all. Finally on Sunday I posted in their Facebook page that I have attempted to contact them regarding fraudulent activity on my account and was not getting a response. Around 2100 on Sunday, received an email wanting me to verify my identity. Actually three different ones. Did everything they asked and was finally able to get into my account.

Took it upon myself to call them since they had not contacted me regarding the transfers and disputes. First time, dude was flustered and didn’t understand the situation, he ended up hanging up in me. Me already irate called back and spoke to someone else. Once again explaining the situation and said he was going to file a dispute and I didn’t need to do anything else. I asked him to verify that they received all of the emails I sent (>40) and he stated he could see them. Well, Monday was a holiday and wasn’t expecting anything. Tuesday I received an email that Chime was closing my account and would no longer be doing business with me. They would be mailing me my additional funds after 30 days. The heck you will!

Tried calling their number again and the IVR informs me that my account was closed and if I needed any assistance I would need to EMAIL support. This is ridiculous. Then I started my barrage of emails to the unmanned support line and getting informed that I will need to wait 30 days to receive any funds. In these emails I informed them that I was self employed and they requested money back from my vendors. Now my vendors put my account on hold due to now owing on past invoices. I requested that I wanted documentation of my dispute and their findings for them to close my account without even a phone call for common courtesy. Last time I checked, I was the victim in this situation.

Also stated that I was in shock that I finally was able to speak to someone on a Sunday and since Monday was a holiday they could close my account Tuesday before noon. Where was the investigation? What about the money they sent to some external bank? Still crickets…. This afternoon I received an email asking to verify my mailing address and they would be sending a check via express mail. I’ll believe it when I see it, Being that I was all over the transactions I was notified of, you would think they would if responded sooner. I’ve never given them or had to dispute anything before do this took me by surprise. Please do not do business with them since they do not value your security and cannot protect yourself if and when someone else gets your information, I’m still trying to get an answer.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

This company is a complete joke. They claim to be a “real bank” but handle unauthorized transactions with little to no care at all. I had my card stolen and 4 unauthorized transactions were completed on my card totaling over $800 and they closed my account and found no wrongdoing. I advised them if my police report from my purse being stolen at a gas station & they STILL refused to credit my money back or see the police report.

I’ve been a customer with them for years and never had any disputes or anything like this and this is how they treat their customers. Do not get a ln account with these unethical people. They are a complete joke. If your account gets compromised- they will do NOTHING to help the customer. They’ll just reissue a new card. I haven’t been able to speak to a live person. No one will talk to me. Worst experience in my life. I am a hard working single mother & I take care of foster children. I value my money and need every dime of it to care for kids I have. I am devastated and angry. They lost a customer. Please don’t use Chime as a bank. They are fake

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I will start out by saying, I am not an actual customer. I am an honest person who found someone's debit card. I was only trying to let the company know I had their card and to shut it off for them. Now to the unbelievable part. There is NO number for lost Chime Cards anywhere on their site, or on the card itself. I called the one "customer service" number that is on the card and on their website. I sat for a long time and listened to every option hoping to be able to speak to someone. Not only did I not get to let them know I had their customer's card, but I never got any real information. The automated messages for each area were more like advertisements for the company. I felt like it was maybe written by a young child for a school project or something. Sounded very unprofessional.

When I went to their website, more of the same. No information on lost cards EXCEPT a statement of (paraphrased) 'If you lose your card you need to block the transactions' ... the best part, they don't tell you how to do that. I just wanted to keep their customer safe, but they were not having it. No way, no how. I would suggest anyone who has such non-cerebral communication for their customers and won't help you keep your money secure needs to be absolved. Just my honest opinion. Just tried to help ...

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I had Chime over 3 years and never had any problems until this weekend when I get a email saying my account has been closed. I called. Tried to get answers and they said it doesn’t show exactly why they closed the account. Now it says they will mail my check within 30 days. Please don’t ever ever trust Chime with your money because they can close your account whenever they want to for no reason at all. I'M SO MAD. They are a scam. Please be warned. Don’t use Chime.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

The worst customer experience ever with customer service. Guy's name is Jake. Of course there's no i.d. They can give or last name or anything to refer back to him. I've been fighting a dispute for $100 for over 3 months that I did not charged to my account. It's some weird company and time will not back me up and reimburse me on my dispute. I live on a fixed income and I absolutely cannot afford anything being taken out of my account fraudulently. Never mind the fact that it's $100. I asked for help over the course of three months and they would not help me. There's a lot more but this is what I'm starting at.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I have banked with Chime for a few years, and never encountered such a problem! My card was used fraudulently for a few charges, so I submitted a dispute, had to replace my card and then wait weeks for their “investigation.” They closed my dispute claims and said they didn’t find any issues, so of course they didn’t refund my money. I called customer service but they weren’t any help at all, she just kept talking about the conclusion of the investigation, but wouldn't provide any details for their “findings” because if they did then they would have noticed I didn’t make these purchases.

I reached out to one of the companies that charged my account and they emailed me saying to dispute the charge since that’s the only way I can get my money back. I told Chime I can send them the email to prove what I’ve been told, but they didn’t care. They basically told me to ** off and there’s nothing they can do. So basically, they allow anybody to use your card. I will not be depositing any more money in this account!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I signed up with them, after a day of being with them they locked my account to say they need proof of identity and proof of address, sent that… they still didn’t unlock my account. Now my acct isn’t in compliance with their policy, so I asked what wasn’t in compliance with your policy and they couldn’t give me any answers and I been going through for a month and they suspended my account… and if you ask me they don’t deserve no stars…. ** YOU CHIME.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

The email that is with Chime is correct but they are telling me it isn't. They have held my stimulus checks for a month now problems with my retirement checks. Will not let me have access to ATM eather.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Chime stole all my money in my account. They shut the account off so I couldn't access my money that was just deposited into my account. They don't respond to my emails. I have direct deposit from my job and they said I wasn't in compliance with their deposit agreement.... With a direct deposit from work?? Chime is a scam and steal less fortunate people's money. I have read that they have stolen stimulus and ss payments. They have been sued numerous of times for theft. Please do not set a account up, go read all the reviews first. They are horrible. They don't communicate with you after they just close your money off. My kids did not eat for 2 days!!!! I had nothing, I mean nothing when they stole my money. I have yet to receive it and they won't respond to emails

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I have been with Chime for over two years. Was going well until 11 am today when my account was closed. I am extremely frustrated and upset because I have done nothing wrong for this to happen to me. I received an deposit last night and now this morning I was told my account was closed with minimum information. My account needs to be reviewed and reopen immediately. I won't be treated in this manner.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

My experience with Chime has been absolutely terrible. I opened an account in January and made an initial deposit of funds. However, when I attempted to log in a couple of days later, I was locked out of my account. When I emailed customer service, they asked me to send them scans of various documents to confirm my identity, such as bills, with scans of envelopes showing my home address.

When I repeatedly explained in about 15 email exchanges that I don't receive hard copies of any bills or financial documents, I was eventually ghosted, after I never received a single substance of response actually addressing what I was telling them. Therefore, I sent an email asking to close my account, but nothing has been done after about about 5 more email exchanges, and eventually they ghosted me on this issue as well. My account is still not closed, and they still have my funds. This is outrageous. Do not do business with this company. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in an era when customer service is typically awful.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

Ok so starting out I loved Chime, I felt like the safety of knowing you can't bounce anything was great.. The addition of having Spot Me and Boost... They were great too...but wait... using our card we all are going to run into times when we need to Dispute a charge right... I have been in good standing, have my direct deposit going in regularly, so when I disputed a charge for 101.00 to a supplement's company, I would hope it would be handled like other banks...BUT NO... I entered my info, emailed supplement's info, and still nothing. No communication. But the biggest problem, they don't credit you when you start the dispute.. I was originally upset about this.. But now 28 days later I really don't think they are going to rectify my dispute, so I'm now researching other banks to see if this is par for the course or just Chime... So if you ever think you may dispute a charge then Chime is not for you, as they will not refund the disputed bill.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I have had banking for some time now and I’ve had past issues with them. I had an incident where my account was compromised and I went through their procedure just to come to the outcome of not being refunded my money back into my account. I then had to go through legal procedures to get my money back. Another time recently I received a torn $20 bill from a ATM recommended from the ATM locator on their app and the service was terrible. None of the workers knew how to go about this nor did they have a clue as of how to help. I’m currently still waiting for a outcome. Looking to cancel my account with them when this issue is solved.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I made a dispute about furniture I never received. It was fraud. I had all necessary documentation and they still denied my claim. How is that even right? If it was the person that disputed the claim they would want they money back as well. Documents they sent me was something to do with PayPal.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I have had this Chime account for a month and a half. I have not had access to my money in weeks now. I have my payroll going into my account. I have not received one debit card from them and have my account to where I cannot transfer my funds not EVEN to another Chime member. I literally have my rent and bills sitting in the account and am not able to touch it. I have called dozen of times. I have submitted their paperwork and still not one single employee or supervisor at that has fixed the issue or allowed me access to my money.

Chime Company Information