Find an Online Banks partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Chime Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chime?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

First of all - I really love Chime overall, the Spot Me feature, no fees or overdrafts, etc. I’ve reached a point though where I need to move on to a “big boy” bank since Chime doesn't offer joint accounts and constantly transferring money back and forth between my wife and I is getting annoying. Another major thing is that Chime is treated like a pre-paid debit card by most vendors. I’ve ran into an issue recently where I was not able to rent a car due to them not accepting Chime. And going to a Family Dollar to deposit cash is getting tiresome as well - it just feels like you’re not really part of an actual bank. This is great for young singles and personally, I absolutely hate big banks - it pains me to move to Chase - but until they actually develop themselves as a “real bank”, I need to move on.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

Chime is inconsistent. They lure you in by getting your direct deposit about 5 to 6 days early. After that don't expect it until the designated date of employer, or benefit date. They will lower your spot me without any reason why, and will not post to your account the bonus 5 dollars you're supposed to received from friends called boost. I have had 3 months where friends sent boost never to be credited to my account but have my spot me account lowered from 60 to 50 to now 5 dollars. Their reps are all remote half the time dealing with screaming children or other domestic affairs, and any correspondence sent is never answered but then you are penalized for complaining or stating missing monies.

It's better to go with an establishment that has second chance banking if need be or credit union. These new banking companies are not consistent and I fear will become more predatory as time goes on. I do not recommend. Do yourself a favor. Establish a relationship with a bank or credit union you will be able to secure loans, lines of credit, and buy a home. This is not the way to do it. Don't get suckered into taking the easy way out. There is never an easy way, and nothing is for free, which sets off red flags with chime. Good luck

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Be careful folks. I had fraud transactions on my Credit Builder card and they refused to protect me and refund me for those transactions that I didn't authorized. This company is a scam. You won't be protected against fraud. There are many people with similar experiences online. Don't do business with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I have been with Chime since 2019 and it seemed like a decent bank. That was until I had to call and report a fraudulent charge. The representative I spoke with lacked customer service and tact. The fraud process is a complete joke and they do not even attempt to assist you in obtaining your money back or even sending you a new card in an effort for it not to happen again. I have other bank accounts and Chime has to be the most lackluster one of them all. Instead of trying to assist their customers they are more concerned with how to make a dollar. No one in the disputes department could assist me in getting my money back instead they simply advised that it wasn't valid and hurriedly dismissed my claim.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

My wallet was stolen and my Chime card was used at a store I’ve never been to. Filed a dispute and even reported my card lost. Chime denied my dispute saying no issues had occurred on on my account… Chime's policy is if they are still investigating your dispute within 10 days they have to give you a credit. Chime didn’t even spend 7 days on my dispute. They denied me quickly with no hesitation just so they don’t have to give me a credit…. I’ll no longer be a customer of chime after this.. DONT TRUST CHIME WITH YOUR MONEY!!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

All was good until I wanted to deposit funds from my home refinance. They DO NOT accept valid wire transfers and they would not deposit a mobile check from a a valid Wells Fargo Escrow Account, even though they say they will accept mobile check transfers $10,000 or less. The only response I received was that they couldn't verify the funds. It's Wells Fargo on an Escrow Account, meaning funds are immediately available! Now I have to scramble around to figure out how to get funds there. Thank goodness I didn't completely get rid of my local bank account. Very poor service.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I have had a Chime account since 2019. I have been using it as my main checking and savings account, and eventually obtained the credit builder account as of May 2021. As of August 2021, I will never trust this corporation with my money again. It all started when I had to reach out for the 3rd time that mouth about a reoccurring fraudulent charge (Suspicions in itself). In result of feeling disrespected and abandoned by the folks who have access to quite literally all of money, the conversation became unproductive and emotional.

At some point I mentioned how hard this situation was making my life since I had zero wiggle room in my paychecks. I then close the conversation out of anger. Within the hour, a local sheriff is at my door. He says he’s responding to a potential “self-harm risk”. I am in awe. Chime assumed I was a danger to myself, with no supporting evidence even alluding to that. When I confront the “chat” agent in the app after the officer had left, I demanded to know what warranted that 911 call. I never got a response. I tried to reach them a lot in fact, now my help feature in the app is always on “maintenance mode”. I have screenshots of every conversation regarding this. There was no risk to even be assessed, so I feel violated and plan on taking further legal action against them, considering what started this in the first place. Be *very* careful around Chime.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Claim online that they are better than a bank. That's **. They are just as bad as a bank or worse with deposits at least a bank goes in right away but Chime's policy has changed 5 business days before a deposit shows up. False advertisement.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

This is the most difficult and inconvenient operation I have ever done business with. They didn’t accept any of the checks I wanted to deposit while I have them and it costs money to deposit cash. They are making it impossible for me to withdraw my funds after closing my account because “the system messed up” and didn’t fully send it to my real bank account. Now I have to jump through hoops and fight them daily on trying to get my $1200 back. They are terrible to work with and I could not stress enough how badly people need to avoid them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

My account had been hacked while I was in jail. My purse was stolen at that. I told this to Chime, and every time I'd dispute a transaction that wasn't mine, they would deny it. My refund was stolen and chime don't care!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I was a Chime member for 2yrs. Promoted chime to friends & family. Mid July I needed replacement cards. I did my part to verify myself. No, I didn't get them & have closed my acct. No I haven't received my check as of Today. I'm disappointed! Overnight my CHECK. You overnighted debit cards to both addresses after I verified my new. CHIME DROPPED THE BALL.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I’ve been waiting on my dispute for over 30 days now & all they can tell me is it’s being investigated. Smh. Can’t call nobody from the investigation team. THINK HARD before using them. Might as well use a regular bank.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

It took a week just for a transfer to post, and once it finally did all my transactions were declined because when I tried to activate my card over the phone it kept telling me I had to enter sixteen digits after I already had, several times. Everything they do is designed to force you to download their app and bank that way, rather you want to or not. Now that I want to close my account, instead of just transferring the money back to the account I sent it from they want to mail me a paper check, that "may take up to thirty days" to get here. I'm sorry I ever opened an account with them in the first place, and definitely wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Basically Chime has tried to stop me from receiving my provisional credit from my dispute I placed for 113 transactions. On the 9th day chime closed my dispute as completed and consider all transactions that took place were no error. (I have provided written proof that I was in mental Facility during the transactions in question.) I also provided a police report as the perps who did this are individual who was working for the facility I was admitted in due to them having my belongings (phone, wallet, etc during my time there) however, chime denied and completed my dispute unlawfully, unprofessionally and unethically.

Chime did not at the time of closure contact any merchants in question (as I have been dealing with them already). Chime also did not (if they did contact merchants) wait for a merchant to respond to an error or no error transaction confirmation which will determine which disputes are valid and what disputes are not. (I have mention this to chime individuals multiple times.)

Here is where We have an issue. I Justin ** ask chime for my provisional credit (you ask why do I ask for that when this is a rebuttals). Simply in order for this to be a rebuttals my original dispute needed to be completed correctly (contacting merchants, awaiting the 45 days they have to reply if not sooner to determine the authenticity of the transactions.) That did not occur with chime on August 3rd so the dispute was never completed to be denied. (This is why I ask for my provisional credit) also, the dispute is 113 transactions and ironically it was completed the day before the provisional credit is allowed.

This brings me down to this. It’s not just 100-300 dollars. It’s over 11,000 dollars. This has affected not only my household but my ability to maintain my self awareness and mental health along with me taking care of my kids. (6 months prior my kids' mother died. A month before my mental health issue my mother died) so all I’ve been asking and begging for is help to maintain and I get nothing. No one wants to assist me like where is the customer service? However today has been the day at 1119 I get an email responding back to my email stating “They are working on my claim and that visa has up to 44 days to respond. This is a lot of information and we want to look through it correctly as the Merchant wants to do the same.” I know right but just a few days ago you denied my claim in 9 days but today you saying that the merchant has this much time and have not realized back to my claims status yet (but you denied my dispute how so?)

So after I speak with Veronica a supervisor she says basically is really rude, cutting me off, speaking over me, has no respect for me or for my situation or the fact that my kids are literally sitting here watch me cry and yell and they suffer from being hungry. At this point I hung the phone up on her rude disrespectful **. Now it’s 1140ish and I received emails from dispute dept stating my redispute also has been declined. Now not only are you being shady now you’ve become malicious and vindictive. At this point I need help.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I made a purchase then didn’t need the service I paid for after all. I spoke to the merchant and they had not received the payment yet and was told to speak to my bank. I called Chime immediately. I was advised to file a dispute. The time frame to get this resolved I want told was October. I called to check on the status and a supervisor informed me that my case was handled incorrectly and a dispute should never had been filed. I spoke to 3 different supervisors and all 3 had different resolutions.

I had one agent tell me I was overdue for a credit, then another tell me that was incorrect and gave me a different time frame. 3 weeks later no credit to my acct, no resolution whatsoever. Lots of apologies, zero action. I cannot tell you the amount of regret that I feel for opening an acct with Chime. I’ve been lied to several times, misinformed and treated so poorly. I do not recommend Chime to anyone. I rate 1 star because I had to complete this review, they receive zero stars from me.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I don't even know where to begin... I requested a new credit builder card twice never received it. And tonight Axl, one of the staff in the department cancelled my card because he said it was reported stolen when I never reported it stolen. Now I have no access to my funds for the next week. I called several times and they hung up on me 4 times! I finally spoke to a supervisor who claimed that my card was active until Sunday. I went to use the card after being told this and it was still reported as stolen so I called again and they wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. The guy on the phone when I told him my concerns told me that I could just pay for my gas over the internet. Extremely incompetent. Worst bank there is out there. Had issues since the day I opened my account. Can't wait to close it after I can finally withdrawal my funds.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

While there are definite positives to banking at Chime, to me, the negatives far outweigh them. Some positives are that you often get direct deposits a day or two quicker, which is nice. And you can overdraw a certain amount (starts at $20 I think - despite their claims about $100, and slowly moves up. After 2 years I'm at $80) without any fees. There aren't any of those pesky bank fees which is nice; however, I'd rather pay a small fee and get decent service, which brings me to the negatives.

Dispute process is an absolute joke - they don't reimburse you for 10 business days and the entire process is a huge hassle. Literally anytime I've needed assistance they've been unable to assist me. Their mobile check deposit system is really picky and only works with zero shadows on the check and all of these other conditions that are difficult to meet. They often send you emails that are the exact opposite of what is going on (for example: today I got an email saying my card got disabled due to fraud but I had discussed disabling my card tomorrow at midnight with an agent. Turns out my card isn't disabled after all.)

And don't even try to deposit cash -- it's an absolute nightmare. You literally have to go to Walmart or 7-11 and pay a significant fee to deposit it it's comical. I do not recommend this, especially with all the fraud out there. Better to stick to a real bank even though you have to pay fees and wait a little longer for your check. It'll be worth it when stuff goes wrong, trust me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

So I've had Chime for about 2 months now. I have been pretty happy with them. I absolutely love their credit builder and the spot me but recently I had a hold on my card for uhaul. After I returned the truck they would refund that money and take what I actually owed them. Everything on Uhaul's end was done. Chime however never refunded that money from the hold. They are trying to say that it was released back to my account but it wasn't. Not only that but they also completely make the hold transaction disappear. They were not helpful at all with getting my money back to me. And they need to not take hold transactions off of your statements. It should be in there that it was taken out then when it is refunded back it should show that also.

They tried telling me that it was taken out of my funds when it clearly was. If you look at my transactions before it disappeared it clearly shows where it was subtracted from my money and it was never added back to my account. Have to say I am very disappointed in this because I really do like them but this is absolutely ridiculous that they cannot see that it was never added back to my account. I kept track of what went out and what came in.

Original review: July 31, 2021

I really wish there was a way to give negative stars!!! This joke of a bank should be closed immediately!! I had 5 unauthorized transactions on my account and tried contacting Chime as soon as they happened and was told I had to wait until they post and then file a dispute which I did. On the 10th business day I get an email stating they denied my claim and will not be receiving any credit! Wtf! All they had to do was pull the video footage! I have since filed a police report, filed a report on CFPB, BBB and FDIC against them and if I don't have my money back soon I'm filing a lawsuit! This scam artist company should not be allowed to do this with our own hard earned money!

Original review: July 29, 2021

My account was suspended without warning for no valid reason and they made it extremely difficult to get my money back! It took me over a year to get a check mailed to me. They demanded a ridiculous amount of information for a trivial amount of money and tried to refuse to close my account and refund the money. Chime will try to steal your money!

Original review: July 28, 2021

I was a member for four years. Just switched to Chase and added my direct deposit yesterday. I fear my account being closed for no reason and also tired of being declined for no reason. I’d rather be paid on my actual day than early.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Chime is a mobile banking app. I have very mixed feelings about Chime. It is VERY frustrating that they boast about their two-day early direct deposits, when in actuality it is VERY RARE that they even deposit my paycheck in my account two days early. It's very willy-nilly on the timing. Also, they are VERY hard to reach. I had an issue trying to pay bills online. The only way to "talk" with anyone at Chime was through their chat. It's frustrating that every time I had to get out of chat to do what they had me do, I would get another person and have to start my story over and over and over and over and over and over. I finally got so tired of re-explaining things I just paid another way on all my bills.

Additionally, I cannot get their mobile deposit part of the app to work. None of the checks I've tried to deposit are ever accepted. The best part of Chime is the Spot Me part of their app. It's nice that if you accidentally go over your balance by a couple of dollars that your aren't charged $30, $40, $50 or more dollars. As a teacher, I live on a very tight budget, as we only get paid once a month. I chose Chime because my husband passed away and I was relocating for jobs. It's nice when moving jobs that I don't have to keep closing accounts and opening accounts. I can provide my employer immediate account info for direct deposit. There are always pros and cons to bank and credit unions. There is no perfect banking institution so I stay with Chime till something better comes along.

Original review: July 27, 2021

Horrible customer service. Was on the phone for 1 hour to resolve an error on their end. Caused insurance lapse on my auto. Got transferred 6 times to different departments just to hear that the company would not immediately correct their mistake. I'm already looking for another bank, this one is garbage.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Worst company ever, they let me order and set up my acct and card and I even was able to load funds to it but one day afterward went to get cash to pay a bill and was told for random reasons my acct is closed. Oh and no you cant speak to a real person and the emails are automatically generated so guess it sucks if you want your money back and was told via robot email that my money after 3 weeks should be sent out in a check form like wtf really and it's been well over that and still no check. Shocker. You dont throw your rent money away to these thieves like I unknowingly did because you wont get it back.

Original review: July 25, 2021

On 04/24/2021 Google*Luxy Limited $423.99+$254.39=$678.38 I filed a dispute with Chime Banks Dispute Dept., was given a time frame Of 90=07/24/2021, that they would have a final decision to refund the said amount listed above. It is now 90 days today they still haven't made a decision, nor have they returned my funds. It's been constant game playing for 90 days, now they are saying that have all night to make a decision because they're open 24/7.

I asked for a provisional credit since I've waited for so long, I was told that my particular transaction does not qualify for a provisional credit. Then, when I called them again at 4:30 pm on 07/24/2021, now it’s at the end of their business day ends at 9 pm on Saturday. At 4:54 I Spoke To Roxanne manager on duty Chime employee ID **, Who is now saying that my claim was actually supposed to have a decision on 07/23/2021, instead of 07/24/2021, she has to now escalate it to the investigations dept. to, make the final decision, and someone will reach out to me within 3 business days after I already waited 90 days.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Getting a Chime card and account was the best idea I’ve had in years. No overdraft fees, no surprises and the app is amazing!! Big banks scam is but chime is not one of them. I can’t say enough about it and I’ve had it over a year now!!!

Original review: July 20, 2021

I love it. I opened it thinking it was just some bogus account but I fell in love with it. It's everything. I recommend it to my friends and family. Why wouldn't you have a Chime. At this day and age they're really lit.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Chime has been a blessing from A-Z. From getting paid a little early to having a Spot me, and then be able to get a Boost?!? Really? Awesome, as well as my one dispute was handled promptly. Excellent!

Original review: July 18, 2021

I have had an active Chime checking account for about 14 months now. All of my deposits, transfers, withdrawals have gone absolutely smooth. The Spot Me feature is amazing if you ever get into a bind. Soon after I add it on the Credit Builder card and immediately saw an increase in my credit score. I now have a chime savings account. Between the three I can transfer funds immediately. No delays, no hesitations. After banking with some of the larger Banks out there I feel like the customer support for chime is way better. Outside of a local credit union this is the absolute best option to go! I have been very happy.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Best bank I've had so far. I love the Spot Me feature. As well as getting paid early. The only cons are some places don't see it as a "real" bank and that there aren't a lot of free ATMS in my area. Other than that it gets 5 stars.

Chime Company Information