Call toll free
Call toll free
3.95/5
Based on 859 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Mr. Cooper, formerly known as Nationstar Mortgage, is one of the largest home loan servicers in the country focused on delivering a variety of servicing and lending products, services and technologies to make the home loan process more rewarding and less worrisome for our customers.

Mr. Cooper is more than just a new brand name. It represents a better way of doing business. We’re keeping things simple, focusing on solutions and putting customers first. We’re on a journey to better, and we won’t stop until we achieve our goal: To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

7245 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

Mr. Cooper bought out Nationstar, so I inherited the new brand and I've had a wonderful experience. I’ve never had an issue that they were not able to talk me through or bring a resolution to. I received a letter from them and I called to inquire about having the refinancing done because my current loan was upon the Obama Plan. And I thought that since I’m close to payoff time, I'll go and do some refinancing. I wanted to lower the payment and Mr. Cooper was able to accomplish that. They were able to meet and beat the interest rate that I had with the final stages of the Obama Plan. It was a win-win for me.

The customer service rep, Melinda, was terrific. Sometimes the process is long and the reps needed clarification. And I'd send something and never hear back. But the program associated with the computer system where I was made to follow things through is the greatest idea I had ever experienced, especially as it pertains to the loan. As things were popping up in the system, I was able to go in and find out exactly what they needed, gather the information and just send it back through the system. Then I'd call Melinda and ask if she needs additional information to clarify the questions. She’d go into the system, and when she'd see it, she'd tell me that she just saw it and needs a witness and an underwriter.

The customer service I received from Mr. Cooper and the team was terrific. Even the guy who came out to pick up the documentation was very professional. Another person came out in to sign the paperwork and his service was terrific. He showed up on time and explained the additional documents. He forgot that I needed to have a witness though, but it was okay because I had one here who was able to take care of the second signature on the loan paperwork. When the underwriter worked on my loan, they accomplished everything within a very short period of time. I will recommend Mr. Cooper to any of my relatives and friends that are buying a home.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It was a great experience, since I was already a Mr. Cooper customer a lot of my info they already had. It went smoothly and the closing went as planned. I would certainly recommend family and friends. I did everything by email and it was very good and fast.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I dreaded refinancing my home, not knowing what to expect, but my loan officers were very thorough and professional. They were patient with me and clarified any and all of my questions. I know that if in the future, I should have any questions, I could call my loan officers for assistance. Yes, I would highly recommend Mr. Cooper.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I would first like to mention who I had direct contact with: Chris ** was the person I talked to first and I have nothing but praise for him. Professional, patient, and friendly, he kept me informed at all times... An excellent member of a great team. Another member who I had contact with was Rosalyn **, every bit as professional, patient, and friendly as Chris. You must have a wonderful training program or you just hire the most capable people.

Rosalyn and Chris guided me through every step, at all times kept me informed and were available whenever I had questions. They always contacted me, sometimes within the hour, after I left a message (a pet peeve of mine). With team members like Rosalyn and Chris, Mr. Cooper will always be recommended by me. My daughter and son in law took my advice and are very pleased. Great job, Mr. Cooper!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I enjoyed having Mr. Cooper as a loan company. I also had a great experience with Mr. Cooper when I did my refinance. They were efficient and everything went smoothly. Whatever questions I asked, my loan officer was right there, answering them. He made sure that I felt secure and understood what was going on. I also felt he was being honest to all the information he told me. The interest rate was higher with Mr. Cooper, and I wish I could have kept it at the same interest rate, but that couldn't work because of the rate that goes along with the Feds every other day. I just wished my loan officer told me that the rate does change on certain days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: June 13, 2018

The refi process with Mr. Cooper was the most efficient and competent experience we have ever had. Christina ** was proficient and responsive to all aspects of the process. We still can’t believe we closed within 3 weeks of application. Thank you, Mr. Cooper for the expeditious professionalism.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with Mr. Cooper. Everybody there was great and they were all very positive. They knew what they were talking about, did what they said they were going to do and carried through with it. They looked for the best program for me and my particular situation and gave me options. I have an interest rate I can live with and we're just gonna move forward and be secured that I can stay in my house.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had an adjustable rate and I knew it was gonna go up. I looked around for the best deal and Mr. Cooper was able to walk me through all the steps and they got me the best rate that I wasn’t able to find anywhere. I was a little confused initially because they were giving me some sort of rate and speaking with other companies. They explained to me the pros and cons of adding points and pre-paying the mortgage, and when they were done explaining, it made sense and I went ahead and did that. At one point I was communicating with a gentleman in regards to refinancing and then putting a chunk of change or a large amount of money as part of the refinance. He was able to help me run some numbers, whether it made sense if I just refinanced the entire amount or if I dropped down. Everything went relatively smooth, quick and painless.

However, I thought Mr. Cooper would be a little bit more flexible in regards to all of the closing costs considering I was an existing customer for 15 years. I thought they might cut me some slack on that and they didn’t. But I received a few checks because of overpayment ‘cause it's pretty typical of people not to know the exact amount for the closing. Also, this is a rental property, so I was able to decrease my monthly payment down to $450. So, I have much more cashflow from the tenants paying much higher than that in rent, so I'm able to free up some cash every month.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had an excellent experience working with Mr. Cooper. When my husband passed away I had to put our mortgage in my own name and I just stayed with what I knew, Mr. Cooper, who is our existing mortgage company. Everyone was extremely professional, kind, and knowledgeable. I couldn’t have asked for better guidance. My interest rate went down.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2018

Mr. Cooper has been my mortgage company for 9 years. When I refinanced for a better rate, I didn't want to deal with a new company that I wasn't sure about. Mr. Cooper's people were very good too. I felt the guidance I was given in discussing my refinancing options was fair. You talk to a certain loan specialist first, send him a few documents and then you can go online and track it, which I liked. I was babysitting my little grandkids and I didn't have a whole lot of time. In the actual process, I didn't have to be on the phone a lot or send a lot of documents. In fact, anything I sent I think I did by email. It was convenient.

The refi lowered my payment a little bit and I paid off a state tax lien that I had which was really my goal. But the closing figures were different than what the loan specialist and I discussed in the beginning. I understand that there's always gonna be a difference of a few dollars but $900 or $1000 is different from a few dollars. It was a lot of money to lose somewhere along the line and I am disappointed in that. I feel like I'm owed the answer for that and I will look into it.

Mr. Cooper response
I have located the account number associated with the property and will begin my research immediately.
I will reach out to you within 5 business days with the results and resolution to your concern.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach me by dialing 1.888.509.2432.

Thank you. ^Kalie

Original review: June 12, 2018

The reps of Mr. Cooper were great. The guidance I received from them was perfect. I couldn’t have asked for better. The benefit was a lower payment but we shortened the term of the loan.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Mr. Cooper called us about refinancing our old mortgage for a lower rate. After we got off the phone with the first person we talked to, we decided that we were going to do the refinance. He explained everything. Mr. Cooper is great. They kept us informed of every step. And now, our mortgage payment and interest rate are really much lower. We were under Nationstar who had been our mortgage company for 16 years. And before it turned to Mr. Cooper, we haven't had a good experience with them. It was very hard to get a hold of somebody with Nationstar, and phone calls weren't returned. But now with Mr. Cooper, it's easier to get a hold of someone.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I did a refinance with Mr. Cooper and it was the best experience I've ever had with anyone. Everyone that I worked with was awesome. They were very attentive and they kept me in the loop on everything. My questions were answered immediately and it was a fast process. It wasn't even three weeks from when I called to when I closed. It was amazing. I didn’t need an appraisal, so that helped. It was so smooth. I have consolidated all my debts so I feel less stressed knowing I'm not trying to make those payments every month.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Everything was great until I started receiving non stop letters for other coverages and insurance disguised in important looking letters. If I’ve opted out and gone paperless then respect that and don’t send additional letters. That would be great. And please don’t call me about my experience either. Oh yeah, change your name back to Nationstar.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Rita and Veronica were very helpful during our mortgage refinance. The communication was excellent and offered beneficial suggestions for us. They explained what we needed to do to make the process more efficient. We would use them again in the future and recommend them and Mr. Cooper to our friends.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Did a refi on my home using Mr. Cooper. They said the process would take up to 8 weeks. They got it done in 4 weeks. Fast, friendly service with great communication throughout. The e-sign option is awesome and finally got the loan we wanted. Thanks again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I got mail from Mr. Cooper saying that they could get me a better deal, so I gave them a call. The reps gave me information that I didn't know about and they were able to get me into a VA loan, which no one had mentioned to me before. So, they worked with me and sometimes we talked three times a day with the updates that they gave me regarding that. Now I have a lower interest rate which means a lower monthly payment. I would definitely recommend Mr. Cooper.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Mr. Cooper is my current mortgage company. Everything went smooth and quick with their mortgage professionals when refinancing. They were easy to deal with, and I could understand them when I talk to them. I'd recommend it.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My mortgage was bought by Mr. Cooper. And I was paying a high interest rate so I called them up and tried to find out if they had a different program. They offered me a different program to refinance. I expected the process to take longer and be a lot of hassle, but they made it simple. Their reps did well and the process was easy. If anything happens, they would always work on it fast. So, if I didn’t get a call or there was some paperwork that needed to be done, they would call or email me to get stuff done fast. The guidance they gave me was pleasant. I would recommend Mr. Cooper.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We already had a mortgage with Nationstar before and had no problem. We did the refinance because we had an accident. Somebody ran into us on Easter Sunday and we had to buy a new car. So, it was a big expense added to all our other monthly bills. My husband checked into some other places about refinancing our old mortgage and decided that going with our mortgage company, Mr. Cooper, was the best idea. They had the better interest rate. They were very professional and made us informed. They called us every couple of days to let us know what was going on. Everything that they said was the truth. And when we got the paperwork, everything was just as they said. The process didn't take very long. It was less than three weeks so it was really fast.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Rates were going higher so I thought it was a good opportunity to refinance my old mortgage. I also reached out to Bank of America and their rates were somewhat equivalent, but I thought the process would be a lot easier with Mr. Cooper, so I just stayed with them. The person I dealt with was very professional. I only had to provide some minimum documentation as they have a lot of my information already. Part of the refinancing was going to be based on credit, and a part was based on what you are as an individual. From that side of it, it was fine. We talked about the whole purposes, and I went from 30-year to a 15-year. Within a week or two weeks, they have completed everything and even got done on my side and theirs. So, I was pretty happy with that.

It is my 2nd time refinancing and it is a good experience. One time was about four to five years ago when it was still under Nationstar, but this is the first time I financed under Mr. Cooper and everything went very smooth. I have never had any issues with payments or had any issues with getting any type of service that I need if I have to call and ask them. Refinancing with them takes a weight off your shoulder. I have a little rate, so that is great.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had my first mortgage through Mr. Cooper, and I called for a tax form that I needed to file my income tax. Then they inquired and told me that I should refinance. They were very professional, and one rep was very helpful. Everything has been fine so far. Mr. Copper is a good place to refinance a mortgage.

Original review: June 7, 2018

This was the easiest thing I have ever experienced. It was so easy and fast. I would recommend Mr. Cooper to anyone who needed to refinance or if this was a first time buyer. Everyone I worked with was very professional.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I love Mr. Cooper. I will tell everyone about them. They always try their best to help you. They helped me refinance my house with no problems. They are the best. They're always there for you on late payments and everything.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Mr. Cooper assumed my last mortgage from Nationstar. Their guy, Luke, was very helpful, very professional, and took care of things real quickly. He took me through it all and I was amazed how well he did. And if I had questions, he answered everything satisfactorily. So far, I haven’t had a mortgage payment this month and that’s a big benefit. Overall, they have very nice people and I had a good experience with them. I’d also tell my friends to go with Mr. Cooper.

Original review: June 7, 2018

The possibility of a lower interest rate made me inquire about refinancing and Mr. Cooper's rep was very good all the way through. I refi but it was Nationstar, and then they put me on this other VA program this year and I'm happy with it. Everybody was very well and knowledgeable on what they needed to do and how to do it and got me going all the way. Their professionalism and corporate knowledge of how to get things impressed me. They created the situations where things can get done and made sure that there weren't any problems. If there were, they eliminate them and they worked hand in hand with me every step of the way.

They also kept me well informed of what the next move was and what they were going to be doing. I was also well-aware of it because I've done this before. I used to do real estate so I was well-aware of the process, too. They were spot on, and they did everything that they said they were gonna do. They created some opportunities and did the numbers so we can have a good process to come out positive in the end. With this, I have a little bit more of free money. The whole nine yards took 60 to 90 days, but it was quicker than that. Although it sometimes tends to be stressful, it wasn't stressful at all and it was a good experience.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Working with Mr. Cooper on our recent refinancing couldn’t have gone any better. There was frequent and clear communication from all departments, from the initial call, through qualifying, underwriting and closing. The online portal was very user friendly and extremely convenient for uploading required documents and checking on the status of the loan. Closing was a breeze in our home. Couldn’t be more satisfied. Thank you!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Our home burned to the ground in October. We owed $130k and Mr Cooper received over $400k from my insurance company. They held onto the money, over and above our mortgage amount, for over 6 months. We could have made money investing that but they would not give it back without hours and hours worth of phone calls with many different people (I had to start from the beginning with each person). Our home burning down was terrible, but dealing with Mr Cooper was the very worst part of the experience. I feel we should get interest from the 6 months they held my money hostage.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 6, 2018

Despite having 2x the amount needed in escrow, they didn't pay my insurance and I can't get hold of a person who will deal with this before my homeowner's insurance expires and I'm left without coverage. I'm disabled and don't use voice telephones, so am dependent on email, fax, or Facebook chat.

Mr. Cooper response

Thank you. ^Kalie

Original review: June 6, 2018

Mr. Cooper took over as our mortgage company from another company. We got information from Mr. Cooper over the phone and through the mail-out of the mortgage payment and that led us to inquire about refinancing our old mortgage. The process went really fast and it was very problem-free. Everything was very pleasant and clear, and went very smoothly. We were very pleased with the information given out by the contacts we had. We're completely pleased with Mr. Cooper and I would recommend them very highly to a friend.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information