Call toll free
4.04/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

7687 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I contacted Mr. Cooper to consolidate/refinance my home loan. They worked with me and were wonderful, but could not consolidate my bills. I did get a much better % on my home loan. My original goal was to consolidate all my bills to help ease my monthly payments.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

The people, Michael and LaSharon were outstanding, very helpful when I had questions. They also were pretty calming, when I was getting a bit rattled through the process. I've been with you guys for a few years, and I would recommend to a friend.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My experience with Mr. Cooper was awesome. To me they are by far the best Loan Company out there. They are very helpful and friendly and a great company. The two people I worked with on my loan the Loan Officer (Jaclyn **) and the Loan Processor (Nicole **) were absolutely wonderful. They went over and above to help me acheive getting this loan since I wanted to stay with them as my servicer also. Five stars to both of them. But not only that from my past experience with my previous loan with them they have a great customer service team also. They work with you, help you and are there for you. Awesome website also. Would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a new loan.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My experience with getting a refinance with Mr. Cooper to pay off credit card debt was an excellent experience. Very kind and considerate representatives and a quick and easy experience. My financial situation is much more manageable now. I would recommend to all.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I had a loan with Nationstar and I had no issues with them. Whenever I called about anything, which wasn’t often, the customer service reps were always Johnny-on-the-spot. So I decided to refinance with Mr. Cooper even though they may not give me the lowest interest rate. They have all my records and it's a lot more convenient. The process was flawless and fast. It wasn't two weeks from the time I said go. In fact, I was thinking something was gonna go wrong because it was too easy. The two people I communicated were Chris, initially, and then his assistant, Kevin, and they were both on the same page. They knew what each other was doing. That’s a good team they've got right there. Those two seemed to be Johnny-on-the-spot too. Mr. Cooper is good and they have done me right so far. I refinanced because I had incurred debt that I wanted to remove and since then, I've paid off those debts that I no longer wanted to pay on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We inquired about refinancing our old mortgage due to frustration with Citibank. I had been trying to work with them, but they couldn’t seem to pull it together. Eventually, we came to Mr. Cooper late in the process and they made us happy. They're now our loan servicer. It was absolutely easy to get the refinancing done with them. It took two weeks, maybe less, from beginning to end. Considering that I had been at it for 45 days with Citibank, I was certainly ecstatic.

The mortgage professionals that I worked with at Mr. Cooper, Jason and Valerie, took great care of everything, made sure that everything was explained well, and walked me through everything. Jason is on the sales side and Valerie is on the loan processing side. Jason started the process and Valerie closed it out. They both did an excellent job from start to finish. Since refinancing our loan with Mr. Cooper, we don’t have a mortgage payment this month and next month, and that’s always good. Also, we now have the money to do the remodeling and other things that we wanted to do.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Mr. Cooper and Associates are to be congratulated in having two such outstanding employees as Lisa ** and Rahim **. They were unfailingly patient, polite and very knowledgeable when answering my incessant questions. Please thank Lisa, Rahim, the notary and all the team members who successfully completed this transaction.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Both persons we dealt with for the refinance were very helpful in finalizing our loan. They requested the info needed. We provided all paperwork and waited for approval and monies to be deposited in our account to complete our purchase of some land.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had a loan through Nationstar and they sold my loan. That's how banks are. I didn't have a choice. One bank took the other and it was a depressing experience because I'm not really one who keeps a tack on everything. When Nationstar said they sold my loan, I said okay. But I came to find out that I was not given the same interest rate that I had from the other bank. Points were added to it. Nationstar gave me paperwork but no one told me anything. It's either that or Mr. Cooper changed the prices.

My husband passed away and I refinanced the loan. They kept telling me I had 18 more years and I could get it down to 15 more years for X amount of dollars. But they didn't ever really tell me the closing cost. To this day, I don't know. How I found out what I owed was because somebody asked if I didn't wanna get a life insurance policy on it. And I did. But they didn't give me any paperwork. They just sent me this blank piece of paper and I was supposed to send it to them. It's basically my name, my phone number and my address. I didn't know any information which really bothers me. But I work and I don't take phone calls during the day. So I don't know how I'm supposed to get ahold of these people. 90% don't even have a weekend.

There was just a lack of information. What they do is send you all this paperwork and then ask you to sign it. When you work full time, all you wanna do is sign it. But they should say, "Now, your interest rate's this and your payment's gonna be this because to refinance it, it costs you $3,000.” Also, the housing payment went up, not down. Although I am cutting three years off, that's not that much since I paid $518 and now I'm gonna be paying $560. Supposedly, the interest rate went down but it doesn’t sound like it to me. Financially, I don't know why it went up so high for just three years.

I have been getting screwed ever since my husband passed away. I’m 60 and people see me as a widow. I'm trying not to be gullible. I'm trying not to be stupid but I’ve gotten burned so many times now and he's only been gone exactly one year today. But overall, the experience was not bad. I don't hate them. The people that I worked with seemed very nice and I would recommend them. They just need this information so maybe, with the next person that they're gonna refinance, they would give a little more information.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My mortgage had been handled for a few years already under NationStar. When I decided to refinance our condo to merge my two mortgages and to get some cash out to pay some bills and to buy a van for my power wheelchair, I contacted Mr. Cooper and everything they did to get me the best rate and refinancing options, was the best I could get anywhere else. Thomas and Patti ** were fantastic.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

It was a great to have to settle with you all. Everyone is so nice. Everyone worked so hard to get us the best deal and was so nice to help me with all the paperwork I needed to approve my loan. Will be glad if I move to have your company again. A wonderful experience. I would gladly pass on your company to others.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

The processor was excellent. I would have liked to see the loan officer take a more active role, but the process was fairly painless. Rate was fair, we closed on time. I had to call to ask if the funds had been released to me, as no one followed up on it for me.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with the team. There were very professional and give me a great peace of mind during the entire process. If I was unsure of anything I could email them or call them. They got right back to me immediately. I would recommend Mr. Cooper to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Everyone I dealt with during the process was nice and help. I just don't like the underwriting process nor the closing process. The underwriting person instead of read the documents they continued to ask the same questions which made no sense. They person that needed to read and ok the closing left for an emergency and didn't tell anyone which let me and everyone waiting for over and hour just for someone to say ok. These two processes need much improvement.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I'm an existing Mr. Cooper customer. I needed some things done around the house, and I figured refinancing would be the best route to go. Everybody was very knowledgeable and everything went very smoothly. The entire process took two weeks, and it was fast. I paid off a few debts, which makes me feel a little better. Since then, I got a new furnace, and then I'm waiting for somebody to do my kitchen. Mr. Cooper is a good company. They worked to our satisfaction.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

First of all National Star Mortgage never accepted my petition for a loan modification and made a foreclosure in my property. To save the property I had

to make a crammed down through a Bankruptcy 13. During 5 years I paid the Court the agreed amount and I fulfilled the law as it was established in this Bankruptcy to pay for the property. My last payment was in October 11/ 2017. The case was opened until May 9 /2018. Six month more opened in the case that any claim could exist in all parties involved. Mr. Cooper never filed any discrepancies during the period that the case was opened.

Once the bankruptcy was closed I requested my satisfaction of mortgage to Mr. Cooper. In lieu of that when I call the customer service. They say that my case appears opened and Mr.Cooper send me every month a bill that is increasing in spite that all documents have been sent to Mr. Cooper with the proof that the bankruptcy is already closed.

During a bankruptcy the owner pays insurance an taxes but there is in my property an escrow company in taxes public records (I think it belongs to Mr. Cooper because the name changes every few years). Every November 1st, 12.01 minute I have to hurry paying the taxes to avoid this company does it. At last, Mr. Cooper contacted the lawyer that made my Bankruptcy (Patrick **) after 7 months. The Bankruptcy closed requesting me to pay $8,000. Without a solution in the offices of Patrick **, I ask the lady that work for them, that please, request Mr. Cooper a detail invoice of the claim of those $8,000 I have to pay for. In the other side of the phone Mr. Cooper refused to give me details about the payment they are requesting and threatened me to make a foreclosure in my property once again.

It is clear they want to take away my property and they are not going to give the satisfaction of mortgage violating the federal law of bankruptcy. They took all the money that the Court Trustee sent to them during 5 years but they don't give me back my property in spite they know I need the property clear to have

some money for cancer medical treatment. TAKE CARE OF THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE NOT RELIABLE.

Mr. Cooper response
I have located the account number associated with the property and will begin my research immediately.
I will reach out to you within 5 business days with the results and resolution to your concern.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach me by dialing 1.888.509.2432.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I had a very pleasant experience with this process. While some things were tasking, but with the help and patience of Jeff **, he made it so much better. He told me the steps to take and the questions to ask and the end result was more than we expected... and we got it done!! Renee ** was great too! Her proactive approach and personable personality was awesome. A burden was lifted and I was able to get a lot done which have put me in a great position. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! Thanks!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

The lady that came to my home and had us fill out the Closing Paper. And Kelly **. And the one that helped us a lot Stacy. I don't know her last name. But she was the best of them all. She was in California.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Mr. Cooper and its staff were very easy to work with, when I needed them the most. Their staff whom I worked with were very attentive to my needs and helped me from beginning to end! Great team of people!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I was satisfied at one point then things went downhill. I received checks from the closing company for credit cards that are paid in full. I had been told to show proof so I did. I even went and charged something on a card so I didn't have to get reimbursed for it. I was told by the people who took care of our loan it would be taken care of. No one ever got back to me or answer my calls. I would like if I got some kind of response. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My loan was just sold to Mr. Cooper and I really enjoy using the website! It's so easy to use. I always hated logging into my old lender's website because it was difficult to navigate and not very consumer friendly - Mr. Cooper's site is great. I've not yet had any issue with them, so I can't speak for the customer service. So far, I'm pleased!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We were in a chapter 13 bankruptcy due to the way Bank of America had done. They gave us a modification, and then they took it back and told us we weren't allowed to have it, even though we've been paying on it for six months. The next thing we knew, it sold to Nationstar. And then right before the bankruptcy got completed, Nationstar changed the name to Mr. Cooper. We wanted to refinance with Mr. Cooper and then they had sold us to somebody else, but we really liked where we were at. So, the other company only had us for 10 days and then we went back.

Mr. Cooper contacted us and sent us letters, and said that they thought they could do better for us, which they did. They took the years off the mortgage but not so much price-wise. The staff was super. They were able to answer all questions and return calls. We just got it done, so we'd ake our first payment on January. We had a very good experience overall.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Eugene ** was the best representative that we have ever dealt with in a long time. Very personable and very professional at the same time. He answered all our questions and walked us through all the online questions we had for all the forms. A very friendly and patient man. You have a great employee and a keeper. Thank you for everything!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Extremely easy refinance with Mr. Cooper. All involved, such as Kelly ** and David **, were extremely helpful during the whole refi process. I had enjoyed my original mortgage loan with Nationstar Mortgage and decided to refinance with the same financial lender... Look forward to the same great service with Mr. Cooper.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

It was a pleasure working with Mr. Cooper regarding my refinance. Joshua ** and Bige ** were amazing to work with and they made the process extremely smooth and stress free. I'm very happy with their customer service!!! I've been a long term customer of Mr. Cooper and I'm very pleased.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

A few months back I chose to refinance my home to pay off an annoying HEL that was becoming more annoying as interest rates rose. After researching a number of sources, I chose to go with Mr. Cooper, who at the time held the mortgage on my home. The experience is worth sharing since I am and have been completely satisfied with the entire experience.

Starting with a reasonable and acceptable interest rate, from beginning to end, Mr. Cooper personnel worked with me, always treating me with respect, even as they gently encouraged me to make appropriate materials available. This is not the first time I have refinanced a home I owned but it certainly was the easiest, most efficient experience I have had. From origination to inspection, to close, Mr. Cooper made the process simple, easy to follow and frighteningly efficient. There were two things I considered critically important: Keep your promises and keep me informed. I was not disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

They were great. They made sure I understood everything step by step. I was never confused or lost about any part of my loan. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I love the fact that they made sure I was happy about everything before we moved through each step. I’m happy and very grateful.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Mr. Cooper did a great job on my refi. My insurance rate was so high and I’m getting ready to retire, so wanted to get my affairs in order. And Mr. Cooper seemed to give me the best deal for the refinance compared to other providers. Dealing with Mr. Cooper's reps was absolutely wonderful as well. They kept in touch with me, gave me a date and then they beat the date by almost a month. It was a good experience, totally, and I’m perfectly content with it.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I am currently fighting with Mr. Cooper about a shortage in my escrow. This shortage stems from the fact that Mr. Cooper failed to pay my 2017 school taxes that were due in July of 2017. I refinanced in October of 2016 and there was extra money in my escrow (due to them failing to pay my school taxes). The extra money was used toward closing costs. Then in 2018 the letter came that 2017 taxes had not been paid. After spending countless hours on the phone with Mr. Cooper my back taxes get paid out of my current escrow causing a shortage. Now Mr. Cooper wants to up my payment $261/month for their mistake. To top this off at the time of writing this review I have another letter that Mr. Cooper shorted my 2018 school taxes and if I don't pay the shortage my wages will be garnished.

It seems Mr. Cooper can't manage my money. Just for information at the time of my refi based on Mr. Cooper's own appraisal, I had $55k in equity in my home. So had my taxes been paid on time there would still have been no issues with the refi. Now while in this dispute I still get a call or mail almost every day from Mr. Cooper wanting me to refi again due to the equity I have in my home.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I just can't believe how fast and how good Mr. Cooper's staff was. All of them and I mean all of them went out of their way to fix any problems I was having. And my loan wasn't a normal one but they made it so easy. I had tried a couple loan companies and it was such a hassle. I threw in the towel on those loans. I tried Mr. Cooper a few years later and boom it was a done deal. I had to do very little before I knew it. The loan had been granted and I had the loan. These staff members are the best I have ever had in my life. I am a lucky person to have gave Mr. Cooper the chance to show me their staff members was so good it was like lifting 100 pounds off my shoulders. Bottom line you men and women are great. Thank you so much.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information