Call toll free
4.03/5
Based on 1,200 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

Nationstar Mortgage LLC dba Mr. Cooper

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

8511 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 4, 2019

I was notified by the bank that held my mortgage on my second home in Florida that they had been bought by Mr. Cooper. I was contacted by a representative from Mr. Cooper that welcomed me and then explained the process of the change. He asked whether or not I was interested in considering a refinance of a home equity that I had at the time on my home here in Pennsylvania. The part that I didn’t like was that when I would be emailed information, it was only allowed to be online a certain time before it was no longer available. I did not and do not have a smartphone, so I didn’t upload stuff. I did download it, but I found that a little annoying.

Their guidance was okay at times, but at other times, it appeared that the right hand didn’t know what the left hand was doing. When it came to timing me up for the closing, I specifically said I did not want the closing clause to be included in the loan itself. They emailed me the closing document, and it included that. I had to contact the person that was handling it, and they re-adjusted things. Then I was told, when the person from the closing outfit came for me to sign papers, that I should have a certified check for the amount that they told me was due for the closing cost. So, I went to the bank, got the certified check, came back, had an email from the man who was supposed to be helping me through this process and sent them an email saying, “I have the certified check, so that’s taken care of.” He called me and said, “I’ll have to check.”

Then, I was notified that I wasn’t supposed to have the certified check. It was supposed to be an electronic check. So, I had to go back to the bank and deposit the certified check back to into my checking account, and then I paid $30 to have the amount wired. I called and got the closing payoff amount for the HELOC loan that I had on my home here. Because he couldn’t seem to get them to do it, I took care of it. However, I was told again that with the one credit card I said to include, they said they would send me a check for that amount and I would send it in, but the money for the HELOC loan would be emailed or electronically sent to the bank. That wasn’t the case as they sent me a check for the amount for the bank, so I had to go down there. And the amount was not what they were told, so for the sake of two cents, I spent a half hour there and they got it straightened out at the bank.

When I first talked to the person, they indicated that the interest would be what it had been with the bank that had owned the mortgage loan. But it wound up to be 4.5% instead of a 3.85%, which was a full point lower than the interest I was paying on the HELOC and on the credit card that I included. Another thing was I specifically said I wanted it to be only for 10 years. I was notified by them that they couldn’t do it. It had to be 15 or 20 years. I called them back and said, “I don’t wanna bother if it’s not for 10 years.” Then, they somehow came to agree that they could do it for 10 years. So, I’m paying an extra of almost $500 a month in paying it off, and I am soon going to fill out paperwork to have it be bi-weekly because I wanna get rid of it.

I was in the midst of a lot things here with my own life and I just wanted to get it over with, so I did not take the time to compare the cost of different things. I possibly could’ve done better on the closing clause, but that was something that I didn’t do. I would recommend people to shop around to see whether or not some of the services that were provided could have been offered at a lesser rate by somebody else.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have a new car payment. I also have another payment for our air conditioner right now and they have to fix it up again and change another thing from that one. We live with social security only, so we were kind of tough to cover all the payments. We did, but we don’t have any more for us even to have a cup of coffee or soda.

Other people offered me an equity loan. But I thought, “Why don’t I call the bank? They have my mortgage. Maybe they can do something about it.” So I called Mr. Cooper and everybody was very nice. They told me I can do the refinance. They also said I can pay interest rates in only one account, not in a different account, which is really good. I was paying an interest rate in the car, and there were two bills that I have to pay interest rates also. So, besides the mortgage, they raise up the interest rate because I have finished with the modification. Everything really seems like it's gonna help. And so far, I’m very happy with that. They were very helpful and nice.

First, I spoke to a nice gentleman. He put in my computer the good and the bad on the loan and also, how many things they are gonna cover and how much is gonna be my total. And if I agree, they told me what I have to do is fax to them the copy of my social security statement. They also tell how much they give us every month. So we went there and sent the copy to them, and two days later, the rep called me and said a lady is gonna take care of my loan. Her name is Angie. She was a nice lady as well. And everybody there was nice, too. So far, I don’t have problems. Before, we have other people taking care of my mortgage and they change constantly. But now, it seems like they are more assured and all-around, more organized. They don’t have to sell the mortgage to somebody else so I feel more secure with them.

Since day one, we have a very good relationship with Mr. Cooper. We try our best also to cover our obligation. So we don’t have any problems with the statements. The numbers match and we have a home. They are the people that we can really trust. In these days, you don’t find companies that you can trust because they just care about themselves and not about the customer. But these people from Mr. Cooper, they really care about us.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I had a mortgage that was sold to Mr. Cooper. Refinancing with them seemed easier to me. I really wasn’t interested in doing a long-term search. They were my mortgage company already, and so I decided to use them. And I was very impressed with the process with them, so I was glad I did. I called and I got a representative, a gentleman who knew his stuff. He understood and knew what was going on. He assumed some stuff, and he was right on about what he assumed, about what my house was worth, and how much I was in debt. It’s a debt consolidation. Then, I was sent to his loan processor, Sonya, and she was absolutely amazing. Because I’m not the greatest genius on a computer, and when I would get stuck, she would facilitate it. They were both very helpful.

I have a friend that’s in the mortgage business and she’s always complaining about the loan processor. “They’re not at work today,” or “They didn’t get the paperwork in time.” I ran into none of those problems. These people were on their game and knew what they were talking about. They could facilitate something for me, and they did. I applied on November 30th, and I had the loan closed approximately on December 14th. If I panicked, I’d call Sonya up. I didn’t understand one of the questions about homes I owned. I asked her what that meant and how far back was I supposed to go. She said, “No, no, no. They just wanna know if you lived in the last establishment, did you own it? Just write me a note. Just sign a document that you didn’t own it, you were renting, and that’s all. We’ll get that taken care of.” She was very quick to respond.

The only problem I had at the end was they were supposed to disperse the checks on Day X. Somebody didn’t get the checks ready for FedEx on time, it was a weekend, and then I had to wait three more days for my checks to come in. And I told the FedEx guy that I heard they had a storm. He said they didn’t have any storm and asked it it was what they told me at Mr. Cooper. I said yes and he said, “No, they were late getting the checks in to us. So, since you were delayed, here’s the transactions that happened.” But I know that happens in any business, that somebody’s rushed and they don’t get the paperwork. I know FedEx and UPS are hard sometimes to meet the deadlines.

Since I refinanced with Mr. Cooper, the APR went up a little bit, not anything that terrified me. I thought it was still good. And I’m not stressed anymore. I had to do some remodeling. I got burnt by an illegal flip on a house I bought. I had to tear down a whole room and rebuild it because the city condemned the room because it was built wrong.The plumbing and the electrical were wrong. And I could have died in a fire for all I know. So, I got money from the gentleman that sold me the bad house. But there’s still other things. He lied on disclosures, too. So, I was over my head. And the refinance with Mr. Cooper went smoothly, I don’t have any more debt, and I’m saving to do the last couple of things I have to do on the house. So, I’m happy.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had a loan through Nationstar and they sold my loan. That's how banks are. I didn't have a choice. One bank took the other and it was a depressing experience because I'm not really one who keeps a tack on everything. When Nationstar said they sold my loan, I said okay. But I came to find out that I was not given the same interest rate that I had from the other bank. Points were added to it. Nationstar gave me paperwork but no one told me anything. It's either that or Mr. Cooper changed the prices.

My husband passed away and I refinanced the loan. They kept telling me I had 18 more years and I could get it down to 15 more years for X amount of dollars. But they didn't ever really tell me the closing cost. To this day, I don't know. How I found out what I owed was because somebody asked if I didn't wanna get a life insurance policy on it. And I did. But they didn't give me any paperwork. They just sent me this blank piece of paper and I was supposed to send it to them. It's basically my name, my phone number and my address. I didn't know any information which really bothers me. But I work and I don't take phone calls during the day. So I don't know how I'm supposed to get ahold of these people. 90% don't even have a weekend.

There was just a lack of information. What they do is send you all this paperwork and then ask you to sign it. When you work full time, all you wanna do is sign it. But they should say, "Now, your interest rate's this and your payment's gonna be this because to refinance it, it costs you $3,000.” Also, the housing payment went up, not down. Although I am cutting three years off, that's not that much since I paid $518 and now I'm gonna be paying $560. Supposedly, the interest rate went down but it doesn’t sound like it to me. Financially, I don't know why it went up so high for just three years.

I have been getting screwed ever since my husband passed away. I’m 60 and people see me as a widow. I'm trying not to be gullible. I'm trying not to be stupid but I’ve gotten burned so many times now and he's only been gone exactly one year today. But overall, the experience was not bad. I don't hate them. The people that I worked with seemed very nice and I would recommend them. They just need this information so maybe, with the next person that they're gonna refinance, they would give a little more information.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I started out with Freddie Mac years ago but they went under during the bad times and it was taken over by some company that was managing the account. Then Mr. Cooper got it. When Nationstar finally picked up a big block of Freddie Mac loans, everything fell in place where I could refi. When you're coming out of a bankruptcy, not many people will even talk to you about it, but since Mr. Cooper already had my paperwork on file and I was established with them, I reached out to them. They were very upfront with the cost. I had some out-of-pocket expenses, which was no surprise, but I got exactly what I was asking for. I was pleasantly surprised.

My customer service experience with Mr. Cooper was excellent. I have nothing but good things to say of the loan officer I dealt with, and Karen, the closer, was excellent. Her attitude was fabulous. She stayed on top of stuff and was really sharp. I'm a retired homicide detective so I don’t give out accolades very often about how people do their job, but I was very impressed with Karen's knowledge and her toughness. She really stayed on task and I really felt like I had someone in my corner. It made me feel really good.

We had some issues going in where we had filed a bankruptcy five and a half years ago and it was over with, and Karen discovered that my attorney’s office never filed the proper paperwork so we could proceed with the mortgage. So when I contacted my attorney’s office, it caught them with their pants down that they had not filed the proper paperwork that they needed to do, and Karen was the one who pointed that out. I also got the paperwork in the mail that said my other mortgage was satisfied and totally paid off, and on October 1, I'd make my first payment on my new mortgage.

I get concerned, however, when I'm getting all this bogus stuff in the mail like it is from Mr. Cooper and I know it's not. I even had something that said, “Mr. Cooper,” and then it had my name under it. It is an insurance company that’s trying to play themselves off as Mr. Cooper to get me to write a policy for the amount of my mortgage. I have no problem doing that but I would rather go through Mr. Cooper. I tried to be loyal. So I wanna call Mr. Cooper about getting an insurance policy that would pay my mortgage off if anything happens to me. I'm 62, my wife is 66 and we've got a 15-year note, but we're accelerating the payments drastically to pay the loan off. Overall, my experience with Mr. Cooper was really good from start to finish. I'd recommend them in a minute.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: July 19, 2019

The process was very smooth and efficient. The company was already our mortgage lender so much of the information they needed, they already had. We were able to communicate with the various people both by phone and computer. They returned calls in a timely manner and provided detailed information to any questions we had. We were very pleased with the experience and would recommend the company and process to family and friends. Thank you.

Original review: July 19, 2019

My husband and I had purchased a hope that still remained in the early 80's. After 3 years of updating our credit cards were maxed out and we still had some work left to complete. We were able to - easily - redo our mortgage to clear up the debt and get us back on a budget that we can handle each month while still allowing us to make a few final updates. The staff is so professional, responsive and informative. I could not have asked for better or easier service.

Original review: July 19, 2019

7/19/19 Hello: My name is Brenda. Mr. Cooper Loan Department contacted me to see if I was interested in lowering the internet rate on my current loan. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to save money on the interest on my current loan with them. The process was so easy & I'm glad that my house payment was going to be lower. I think the Lending Department made it so easy for me to. Mr. Cooper Loan was so wonderful in making this process so easy and the price was so reasonable. When the interest rate drops again I wouldn't hesitate to call them to see about lowering my interest rate again. I pay very low interest now and I'm very pleased with all the help they gave me. Mr. Cooper Loan is the way to go. Don't hesitate to call them to see if they can lower your Interest Rate for you. Thank you, Brenda

Original review: July 18, 2019

I have been very happy with the management of my mortgage and the customer service I've received every time I've called them with a question. When I refinanced with them, however, it was a clown show. Every time I talked to them, the numbers changed drastically even up to the day of closing, making it difficult to really plan or decide if I wanted to go through with it.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I would recommend Mr. Cooper to everyone. My experience from start to finish was one of the best. Everyone involved was very knowledgeable, courteous, professional and helpful in ALL aspects. Their website is very helpful in keeping track of everything with my loan. Cannot really put into words how helpful they all were. My wife and I appreciate all that they did for us. Thank you very much.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Made this process very easy and laid out all the numbers for me to understand and that made me realize this would be in my best interest in the long run and gave me no pressure to commit on the spot. He gave me a call back a couple of days later and just asked if I had any further questions or concerns which we discussed. I was able to make the right decision for me on my new refinance with Mr. Cooper! Thanks.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I was very impressed with how easy refinancing a home was and I was kept informed through the entire process. The staff was very professional. Once everything was completed they sent an individual to my home so I could sign all the forms with having to leave. Thank you much for assisting me with my refinancing my home plus at a lower rate.

Original review: July 16, 2019

We went through the process of Refinancing, Travis was amazing, walked us through everything, very friendly, very easy to talk with. Sunita was also amazing, went through all the process with us, kept us informed of everything about our loan. We will recommend to our friends. Thank You.

Keith & Stephanie

Original review: July 16, 2019

Everyone I had contact with was friendly and professional. Matthew and Valencia were wonderful. Everything I was told was accurate and I closed on schedule. I would definitely recommend to my family and friends. It was a great experience. Thank you.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Our loan process was absolutely rewarding. Each of our representatives were knowledgeable, patient and reassuring. We had a few areas that needed our special attendance and the representatives helped us to expedite the problems. The time period for the entire loan process was done in a timely manner.

Original review: July 16, 2019

The whole Mr. Cooper team made my refinance a dream rather than a nightmare. They were professional, kind and responsive. They handled all matters very timely. They really made me feel like they were looking out for my best interest all of the time.

Original review: July 16, 2019

No Issues. Courteous mortgage broker. The response time was pretty quick for any questions I had. Great Job. Could not be better. I have had few questions like why my amount went up from $675000 to $685000 and he explained it very well. It is still technical for me about backend etc but I was assured that at the end it will have a large savings. Thank you for the great job.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I have never get so easy and convenient thanks for all that great work from all of those at Mr. Cooper. It was a great experience. Thanks. So I wonder if there is more good things to come I more plans for the future so I'll be counting with you guys.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Everything went smooth and so professional. They did a great job. Service was fast and friendly. Every person I worked with throughout the whole process were very knowledgeable and always willing to help. I would recommend Mr. Cooper to anyone.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I had the best 2 agents a person can ever wish or ask for, from the beginning until the very end. Mr. Mike ** and Patty ** are the best, of the best, very professional, knowledgeable, nice, polite I can go on and on. They always returned my calls without missing a beat, kept me updated, informed, they work around the clock, especially Patty, I have never been treated so wonderful in my life, like these 2 people, from the professional world. They are such a blessing, to the company of Mr. Cooper, they deserve all the best that's coming their way, because they deserve the honor, they earned it, I can tell they love their job, that's so special when you love what you do, may God continue blessing both of them. Mr. Cooper is the best Mortgage Company, I tell all my family and friends about this company all the time.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Mr. Cooper has a great staff and they made the process of refinance our home very easy. I will highly recommend them to friends and family if they need a mortgage or a refinance. The time frame was exact as they projected. We are extremely happy with their services.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Our team of agents were knowledgeable and did a great job of refinancing our loan within 30 days without any issues or delays. Would highly recommend Mr. Cooper and would use them in the future if we’re looking to refinance again.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My first time refinancing a mortgage... From beginning to end, Mr. Cooper provided excellent service. Bill **, and Scott ** were the gentlemen that took care of my case. Both men were helpful, patient, diligent, and in general just great guys to talk to throughout the process. Both followed up after each step, and both called me with congratulations after closing. It was clear that they care about what they do, and are genuinely concerned about the customer. If I could have hugged them, I would have. Thank you Mr. Copper and crew.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Was very pleased with all phase of the refinance. The two women who help prepare and close did the BEST job, was very pleased with the whole situation. At first was a little uneasy but after conversation with rep, became very relaxed and all went very well. When I had question they were always answered quickly. Yes I would recommend Mr. Cooper in a heartbeat! Thanks.

Original review: July 16, 2019

This has been the all time best mortgage experience we have ever had!! They took over our loan and within months got us a better rate and a Veterans benefit! I have found a great person I can call to pay my loan monthly after I experienced social security fraud. She understands our situation and gladly helps by using the phone!!

Original review: July 16, 2019

I would like to thank both Avery ** and Lance ** for your help every single step of the way. Everything was explained to me and why certain documentation was needed. I was made to feel like I was right there in the office with them. Very friendly and professional at the same time. Mr. Cooper should be very proud to have you as employees. There were no surprises at all. Thank you for making it such a wonderful experience.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Good customer service, very professional and helpful! I like that all the applications and documentation is done online, it made it very easy! Also liked the online progress of the loan and the to-do list of the items needed.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I would like to say thanks with making refinance a breeze. I will definitely keep you in mind for the future and will recommend customers. Thanks again for helping me and hope to see you in the future. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Overall a very nice experience. They were very patient and they have a very professional staff. All the figures were correct or corrected since I had paid my normal mortgage payment. The closing was nicely done, the Notary was very organized and detailed.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I've had long conversations with Mr. Cooper representatives regarding loan refinancing and all have been excellent, knowledgeable, and professional. My complaint - I am near legally blind and cannot adequately read your emails as there is too much blue color. I cannot adequately see blue.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information