Call toll free
3.97/5
Based on 885 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

7352 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Everyone's definitely a professional at Mr. Cooper. The whole experience from everybody was very good. I was a little leery about doing this all in the telephone, the internet and the computer but it worked out really well. My refinancing option was explained and I proceeded with it. When I had problems, I went back to the person and they were able to straighten out what I was doing wrong. I'm very happy with it. I was handed off to the next guy, as I went to the next step of the procedure and everybody knew their job. They were able to keep me involved and keep me going in the right direction.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We just finished refinancing with Mr. Cooper mortgage with the help of Marcelo **. I can't say enough about how friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind he was during the whole process. Marcelo was available by phone or email whenever I needed to be in contact with him. He explained the many options available to us and I truly felt that he cared about our loan. Fidel ** continued the process and he, too, was just as professional.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The reps from Mr. Cooper were good and they were able to answer my questions. We communicated by phone, email and text, and they called me back in a timely manner. I was trying to lower my payment and I was able to make the payments eventually.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Mr. Cooper's reps have been very good, very professional, and very knowledgeable.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We were with Nationstar and got transferred to Mr. Cooper and it was the easiest refinance we've ever done in our life. We were part of the modification program and our rate was gonna substantially jump next year, so we wanted to lock it in before that happens. If I had a question, I just called or responded to their emails and they always got right back to me and had the answers immediately. My experience with Mr. Cooper was fantastic and we were able to avail of a lower interest rate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Mr. Cooper has a good reputation. I had a mortgage with Nationstar and it became Mr. Cooper. I liked them enough to refinance again. They offered a few options, but I told them really what I wanted exactly, and they tweaked the offers to get what I wanted. Their reps are very professional and quick to respond, they answered all my questions, and checked up on me well if I had any questions. 99% of all that we ever did with Mr. Cooper was via email, so it wasn't interrupting while here at work. They even responded almost instantly to any questions I have. They did either refer me to somebody who knew, sent me copies of forms as needed, clarified or reworded something if it was a little sketchy or confusing to me. I got a little more peace of mind that we got everything done accurately. They listened to my concerns and made sure we got everything clear. Also, I like the saving a bit of money every month and the consolidation.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Mr. Cooper was sending us stuff constantly about refinance but I knew that if we did it, we were not gonna get as good of an interest rate as we already had. But we had been talking about doing a family vacation to Florida and doing Universal Studios. Although we had been trying to save for over a year, we were not getting anywhere. We did a small cash out refi to pay for that and I figured that the longer we waited to do it, the more likely it was for getting an even higher interest rate. The initial call was from a woman and we ended up being on the phone for about 45 minutes. She walked me through everything and answered all of my questions. She happened to call at the right time and by the time I got off the phone with her, I realized the refi was what we wanted to do. I worked with her for about a week then I was handed off to a guy who I primarily interacted with through email, although we did talk on the phone a couple of times, and it all went well.

The process stalled a couple of times while they were waiting for additional documentation though. We had taken out a line of credit against our original home many years ago to buy windows. It remained a line of credit for ten years and we had to have it paid off. At that point, it turned into a traditional loan so some things didn't make sense because the documentation had changed. The account number had been changed so there were two different account numbers for the same thing. I worked with the guy from Mr. Cooper and then he gave me the format to write a formal, three-sentence document to turn into them. I did that and that got us through. The refi has really helped out and I would recommend Mr. Cooper. I hadn’t thought about the fact that we were in an equity accelerated program. We got to skip through house payments which allowed us to save even a little bit more and pay some other stuff down so that was nice.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This company which was Nationstar has falsely attempted to foreclose on my home of 23 yrs. & blame the previous lender of Ocwen... Nationstar/aka Mr. Cooper had not applied my payments & denied me a loan modification of which I have completed 6 to 7 times. They ignore you & fail to apply income & add other expenses of which I do not have & I have been trying to work this situation out since August 2015!!! This company is TERRIBLE- & not going by Federal guidelines- Do NOT do business with this awful & not honest company!!! This is my opinion!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We had some work that we wanted to have done on the house so we refinanced with Mr. Cooper. The reps were wonderful and it all went really fast. However, when it got to the underwriter, there was just some stupid things. Like, for example, they asked for my husband's passport and/or Visa. I'm like, "Oh, that must mean they don't think he's a US citizen," so we had a little bit of trouble finding then determining that, yes, he is a US citizen. That was crazy. Still I felt very comfortable. The first person we dealt with got it all started and she turned it over to the person who sent everything to the underwriters, and we don't have one complaint at all.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

The Mr. Cooper reps were very responsive and the person who did my loan answered the phone every time I called. They always got a live person, which was amazing. I was very impressed. It was a great experience and I even wrote an email to the person’s boss that I worked with to commend her for her great work.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

We fell behind on 2 payments. They were notified that I would be. They said ok. I stated I would pay extra each month after that to catch up. They said as long as I didn't miss anymore and paid extra each month to catch up no biggie. Since then... I've received numerous certified letters stating they will start the foreclosure etc if I do not get ahold of them asap. I've called them 3x and each time was told everything was ok. Today I received a letter from a creditor stating if we didn't contact Mr. Cooper within 30 days they would again start the foreclosure process. Sounds like this company is completely full of **! Every time I call... I wait at least 30 min to even talk to a actual person. This is the worst mortgage company ever!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Worked with Marcelo ** and Michael **. Both were very helpful and easy to work with. Process was clearly explained to me and everything worked just as they said it would. All my questions were answered, recommend you give Marcelo a call if you are looking to finance (or refinance) a home!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

The reps at Mr. Cooper were really helpful, really responsive and gave me an answer quickly. It relieved me with some of the guesswork and the unknowns, which was great because I have experienced in the past where I put it out there and I didn't get a callback. I recommend them. They were very professional and the job was done quickly and efficiently. We have higher rates and a higher payment, but we were in an adjustable loan. Now we're in a fixed rate loan and it's no longer adjustable and that way we have that peace of mind. Even though we're paying more and we're losing money on the property, at least we're gonna start paying down our loan.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

After I completed my 3 trial payments, I wanted to put $1,000 on my escrow to bring my payments down. Bryce, the dedicated loan specialist took the payment on July 5, 2018 however, the money was not applied to the escrow as I found out by going online. For the past 3 weeks I have been rerouted and taken through changes trying to get this straightened out. I hope you all are recording all calls because mine has been many. From July 5th up to now which I should have been making my 1st payment. It has been a series of no communication on Bryce's part and they continue to drag their heels ultimately making my payment late. The lady I spoke to today put the icing on the cake. She all but told me this my fault, I signed the agreement for the modification and by me putting money on my escrow, this made it my fault. Who are these people and why are they not fired? I thought that putting money on my escrow was good, but I guess not.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We didn't owe a whole lot and we wanted to buy a new truck so we felt like refinancing our mortgage was easier way to do than getting a separate loan for the truck. My husband and I both retired so we wanted things to be simpler. Marie from Mr. Cooper and the people that worked under her were excellent and very helpful. They explained everything, made sure that we knew what we were doing and all the paperwork and the online signing. We had only been banking with them for two months that time so I was kinda leery because I had never heard of them but they were very good. We now have the truck and we're pleased with it. The interest rate was far better that way than if we had taken a loan and we can pay it off faster. I just called because I want to have my payment taken out of the bank automatically on a bi-weekly basis and they handled it very well.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I was a Nationstar Mortgage holder and they came up with a good deal, got me a fixed rate and helped me out when needed so I continued to do business with them. They called with an offer and the process I had to go through to get refinanced was very easy. They sent me the papers and everything was a breeze. Overall, it took me less than a month. The rep, Joe, was awesome and the person who did all the actual loan work was really good too. Mr. Cooper is great and working with them has been good so far. The rate and terms were excellent. I had done a hardship case and it had a little higher interest rate but it was still nice. I got a fixed rate. The rates didn’t change much and I was able to get some bills paid off, so it worked out great. They were also able to shorten it by about eight years and four months.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have been a customer of Nationstar/Mr. Cooper for a few years already and chose to go through them to refinance my home. Tucker ** (mortgage professional) and Lorena ** (loan processor) did a wonderful job walking me through the process and went above and beyond to assist me every step of the way. They were attentive and responsive to all of my questions and concerns and we were able to complete the entire refinance process in under a month. Thank you for excellent service and support!

Original review: July 31, 2018

We wanted to take out some equity and pay off some loans, so we decided to do a refinance. We had a mortgage company and Mr. Cooper took our loan over. During the refinance, our interactions with the reps were really good. The guidance that we received was super easy and professional. Since refinancing, we haven't had a car payment and a credit card payment.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I had to call Mr. Cooper because I cannot pull up my loan statement online that details how much principal is left to go, how much interest is paid and how my payments apply to each. I have always been able to review statements with other loans but Mr. Cooper's "Statements" online only show how much to pay for the month and how much is left on the loan but including all interest. They were nice on the phone and said they would email me the information. I believe it should be available for you review online.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 30, 2018

I've been through them all, Countrywide, Bank of America, Nationstar and now Mr. Cooper. I've had a lot of hardships along the way like illnesses, divorce, job loss. All the bad stuff. As of this moment they have put my house in foreclosure after repeated calls trying to keep that from happening. Customer service really didn't care. You could tell in their voices and the sassy comments. Instead of helping a person again, they kinda gave up and said no to help.I've talked to many homeowners and attorneys and they say that Mr. Cooper is one of the lower rated mortgage companies. They were all happy to help in the beginning, now they stick their nose in the air.

Mr. Cooper response
I have located the account number associated with the property and will begin my research immediately.
I will reach out to you within 5 business days with the results and resolution to your concern.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach me by dialing 1.888.509.2432.
Thank you.

^Kalie

Original review: July 30, 2018

I'm very disappointed with Mr. Cooper. This was my eighth time buying a house and this was my worst experience on out of pocket expense and lack of transparency upon conclusion of this refi. I was trying to find an interest rate that would be compatible with where our current mortgage was and then take out $50,000 to pay off all of our bills. While we could pay for our own homeowner’s insurance, we would have to get a loan all over again. So I took out $50,000 but then, looking at all the cost, everything was not verbally explained. They say it's in the fine print. But you have 190 pages. Every time I call the rep I work with, I get her voicemail which says if I need to speak to her manager, here’s his number. That sounded to me like she gets things started and then she backs away from it.

I have very good credit, I have 810 and I don’t want this to take a month to turn around. I want this done and processed in an expedient way. I'll do all the paperwork. I got all my bank draft, my paychecks, everything turned in within 48 hours of discussing it with them and they led me to believe it was gonna cost me right under $4500 total refi cost. Right now, our monthly payment is $5500 more than we wanted it to be. In closing, I wouldn’t do it again. I will not recommend it either and if I could get out from Mr. Cooper totally, I would.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I had a beautiful and excellent experience with Mr. Cooper. I'm very happy. I went with them to refinance because my original loan was with them, too. The people I worked with were very nice and smooth, and they were very professional and helpful. They answered all my questions and it was good. The person that took care of me was bilingual. My primary language is Spanish, and then sometimes I got a little bit stuck with the language. But he was able to assist me in Spanish. With Mr. Cooper, I don’t have to worry about the interest rate since my monthly payment is going to be the same for the next 20 years. I’m going to give their phone number to my son because he is thinking to buy a property, too. He lives in Thousand Oaks.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Interest rate went up so we decided to refi my mortgage with Mr. Cooper. The person I dealt with was great and the guidance I received was very good. Since refinancing with Mr. Cooper the rate and the payment went down. I'd recommend it.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I set up the Mr. Cooper account for my father and mom online. They already had a loan with them, so they used it to refi. Everything was very good during the whole process. The objective for my mom was to lower her payment, and they reached that goal. We appreciate the opportunity to take care of my parents. I'd recommend them.

Original review: July 28, 2018

To be a little more solvent, I needed to pay off some high-interest loans that I had, so I refinanced with Mr. Cooper. The reps were great and they followed up on everything. The customer service of Ryan and Cathy, the reps who handled the process, was very good and reliable. When I called and they weren’t available, they called me back within the hour and that was great. Since I refinanced with Mr. Cooper, I had less stress.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I've refinanced with Mr. Cooper twice and they were very helpful. The first time I refinanced, the guy who I worked with was wonderful and I had better guidance at that time. On the second time, I paid off some credit card. The refinance and appraisal were simple, smooth and easy. They were very thoughtful and they explained everything. Mr. Cooper has a very good service. Everything was perfect and all at my convenience.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Craig ** and Steven ** worked diligently to get my refinancing done. Communication was great and I truly had no problems with this refinance process. I closed in less than 30 days, funded as promised and received awesome service from Mr. Cooper and these two team members.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I had a loan with Mr. Cooper and since I'm already familiar with them, I decided to refinance my old mortgage with them for home improvement. Also, their offer was competitive. Mr. Cooper's reps were very responsive. Once I talked to them and got the process started, it was pretty straightforward and simple. They made it easy for me to understand and go through. Within the first day, I knew everything that was gonna happen and then it was just a matter of time after that. They arranged for the inspection of the home and took care of everything else. I also didn’t have to provide a lot of additional paperwork. It was real easy.

Although the last part, we had to wait a certain timeframe for certain things. But the timeframe was not that long. And from the time I called back to them to when we were finally serviced, the process took about five weeks. I was able to get some money out of the refinancing, so it's been like savings for me. The only thing for me is the amount of fees, but my payment didn’t increase too much more than what I was already paying. I would recommend Mr. Cooper.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We were in a situation where we had an ARM loan and we didn't have a choice other than to refinance. It was adjustable and we got it for security reasons. At the time, our loan was transferred to Mr. Cooper and they contacted us about refinancing our old mortgage. It made sense to stay with them and it was easier than going to a different provider. Their professionals contacted us when they needed us to sign documents online and the process was simple. Also, they would usually call me right back if I had a concern. But as for the payment, the refinancing did not make us more financially stable. Still, the experience was easy and their customer service was good.

Original review: July 25, 2018

When Mr. Cooper was Nationstar, they bought our mortgage from Chase. We refinanced with a cash-out option because we were looking to do some improvements. The process was easy and it took about three weeks overall. Their reps were quick and knowledgeable. And they answered my questions right away when I emailed them.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information

Public
8950 Cypress Waters Blvd
Dallas
TX
855-781-8001
www.mrcooper.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business