Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars12%
  • 3 stars5%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars12%

Nationstar Mortgage helps homeowners succeed. We offer borrowers a wide variety of mortgage products including Fannie Mae, FHA, FHLMC, VA, Jumbo and USDA products, among others. We strive to provide industry-leading service in everything we do. We’re a Top 10 Mortgage Servicer and one of the Nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Nationstar helps make successful homeownership possible by creating opportunities for borrowers to own and stay in their homes.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The rep I spoke to was awesome. If I ever had to leave her a voicemail, she got back to me within the hour. Any questions my husband or I had throughout the process, she would call anytime and was very knowledgeable about where she does the whole process. If she didn’t know, she made the correct calls. She knew what her resources were. The overall experience was awesome. I would definitely do it again with Nationstar.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to refinance to lower interest rate. I went with Nationstar since there was no appraisal. The process was really simple and I recommend them. There’d never been any trouble with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar was my mortgage holder. I wanted a lower payment and they had several options for me to pick from and so I refinanced with them. I didn’t have to wonder about what was happening for they told me everything that I needed to know and they seemed to be knowledgeable. They gave me some good advice and were able to explain what they were. I felt comfortable that they had the option that I needed to pick. They helped me with budgeting and gave me a little bit of breathing room.

Overall, it was a relatively painless experience. Nationstar called me regularly with updates. They have a very organized process. The only negative is I wished they would have accounted for the escrow payment. This was added between my last estimate report and when the notary arrived. Nationstar had all of my information to be able know when and what the escrow payment would be. This lowered my cash out amount by approximately $1000.

I have just recently completed the refinance process, and I was very pleased with the in-house Greenlight Loans company that did the work and made it happen. They were very prompt and professional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationstar Mortgage?

Everyone was very helpful and friendly. The process was very fast and easy. I hesitated on doing it just because I thought it was going to be a long and difficult. If I'd known it was this simple I'd of done it sooner... Thank you so much for all your help.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The mortgage professionals of Nationstar Mortgage have been good and everything worked fine. They called to tell what we’re gonna do. Their guidance is good and they explained everything very well to us, how that was gonna work and where we’re actually going. The girl we worked with helped us out a lot. She called me and told us there’s something we can do to get the PMI going. That was great and neat and we did get a drop in the PMI.

Two people that I have been working were Dominique ** and Joyce ** and they are simply the best. They worked tirelessly with me to refinance my condo and I cannot say Thank you enough to them. Wish them best in their career.

I recently refinanced my home mortgage thru this company and had an amazing experience. It was pretty fast and easy. I would definitely recommend this process to anyone, especially if you don't want to leave your house! A big thanks!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar is my present mortgage company. I chose them for the refinance because they had all my information and the whole thing was going to be easy. Their mortgage professionals were extremely helpful and discussing my options with them was excellent. The team that they gave me was always available to me and I can’t recommend them enough.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I already had service with Nationstar because my loan was transferred to them. They kept sending letters in refinance so I just took them up on it. Everything was fine but it took longer than I thought. I would like to know everything that is needed instead of after I had gotten everything that I was told that was needed then, it came back I needed some more and more. That's just prolonging it and I didn't like that. But as far as the conversation and speaking to them, they were always polite. I guess they did what they had to do. I accept that but it's just that the loan and the process was so long. If I'm given a job, I like to know what my job is and then I go from there. But don't keep on adding something in, adding something in. Then that begins to bother me. Overall, I am happy with my experience with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar already had my mortgage and they kept sending me notices in the mail so I refinanced. I talked to two representatives and they were both easy to work with and it was simple. The one I called who first started it was great and then the other did my financial closing. Their guidance was good and the experience took less than a week from me calling and having it all finished. They streamlined it really fast and my house payments dropped by $300. It was real easy, no hassle, and I’m really happy with the outcome. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a mortgage through Nationstar. Then we had a modification that came at a higher interest rate so I decided to refinance and try to get a lower one. Their reps were very courteous and well-informed and answered any questions we had. They provided excellent guidance and helped us through the whole thing very well. We received a lower interest rate and are very happy with it. We have a high regard for Nationstar. Their website is very easy to use as well.

Everyone within Nationstar's office was prompt & courteous, doing whatever they could to produce a qualified service towards this refinanced loan. I am thoroughly pleased and would highly recommend their services to all others seeking to refinance.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everything went really smooth during refinancing. Our term got shortened and it was nice having the final notary come to the house.

Nationstar Mortgage

Nobody wants to experience delays when anticipating a refund. We're reviewing the account now and will have a member of our team will follow up privately to help out. -Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Nationstar is a horrendous mortgage company. Their loans are a joke, it is impossible to get anything done when you need something, and their internal communication is awful. I have used many mortgage companies (small and large) and Nationstar is by far the worst. It is nearly impossible to get someone on the phone with customer service and when you do, they can barely speak English. I sold my home on 9/1/16 and they are not willing to tell me when my escrow refund will be mailed for $2,456. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau to file a complaint against this company as well. Additionally, they continue to send me letters (as recently as 9/9/16) stating that my loan still has a $263K balance and have failed to update the credit bureaus that my loan has a $0.00 balance as of 9/1/16. I would not recommend this mortgage company to my worst enemy!

Daniel **, loan officer from Greenlight Loans and Jesus **, closing coordinator, both did an awesome job with getting my house refinanced. Refinancing was quick. All documents were signed electronically until closing. Closing was done at my own convenient location and, it was quick, took less than an hour to finished. The entire process took less than 3 weeks. Keep up with the good work guy!

Going through Nationstar to refinance my mortgage was the easiest and less stressful financing I have ever done. They were very professional, concise, accommodating and easy to talk to. The signing was right on time, and the easiest thing I have ever experienced when signing for a mortgage.

Isaac was so helpful with everything he did for us. There was some things I didn't understand. He took his time with me to get things done so I wouldn't get stress out. I want to Thank Him From The Bottom Of My Heart. You have one very good employee. Thank You All.

Nationstar Mortgage

We first would like to apologize for any frustration the credit reporting issue may have caused. We're reviewing the account to ensure the credit is updated accurately. A member of our team will follow up privately to help out. Thanks! -Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Very dissatisfied with this company. We sold our property back in May and received a payoff letter and the overage of the escrow funds via check. They have since reported to my credit TWICE now that I am delinquent over 30 days!!! I can never get thru their jumble of phone lines to talk to an actual PERSON about this. I have sent a message and not received any feedback. I am trying really hard to rebuild my credit and this is a HUGE BLOW.

I am dissatisfied with the customer service and their lack of response. I guess now I have to go thru the long process of reporting this to the credit bureaus and proving that it is indeed paid off! So frustrating. I will never use this company again and I will tell everyone I know that they are not worth the time. Sad to think that it has come to that, but it sure doesn't seem like they care at me as a customer.

It was a fast and easy refinance. Everyone seemed to be very knowledgeable with what they were involved in. Very courteous and prompt. Thanks for the opportunity to work with you.

Nationstar Mortgage

We understand the payment assistance process can be frustrating. We're reviewing the account to see what options may be available to you. A member of our team will follow up privately to further assist. -Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

My husband and I filed bankruptcy in 2010. Since then we have only been paying interest on our mortgage. I am currently unemployed so we filed for loan modification. I had to call to find out that we were denied. It was suggest we try to re-fi so I spoke to their mortgage department. We were also denied a re-fi because we did not make enough money. They are our mortgage company, really?!? I asked what should I do. She told me maybe we should sell the house. I don't want to sell the house. Now what do I do because Nationstar won't even help out its current customers???

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I refinanced several years ago with Nationstar. I used them again when I had another opportunity. They’re very prompt, efficient, and very competitive. Their rep gave me different options, one I really wasn't considering but at the end of the day, it made the most sense and that's the way I went. I have a finance background, too and he was very good and excellent for providing me information so I could make a good decision. I had a $100,000 rental property. I only owed $70,000 so I refinanced based on that for 20 years. I'm still going to pay based on a higher payment but it reduced my mortgage by several hundred dollars. I do have two kids in college so things get tough. The option I took gives me $200 or $250 to maneuver around where I didn’t have that flexibility before. I recommended Nationstar to a friend.

My loan was taken over by Nationstar in 2014. They were great and I could say it was a good experience. I have been recently contacted by them to refinance my mortgage at a lower rate and that I would be able to use some of my equity to make needed repairs and improvements. The property was appraised at a much higher amount than the loan except that there were some conditions. As I stated the property does need some repairs, this would include the detached garage. These repairs amount to around 10K according to the appraiser. It is in rough shape, however that is what the money I intend to borrow is for. Even with the needed repairs the property is still valued higher than what is required for the loan.

Since the appraisal is not finalized I requested an alternative repair or some kind of waiver considering the risk to the bank is nil. Unfortunately my loan processor seems not to know how to respond to me. I've even called the appraiser and they direct me back to the bank. If I had the 10K in the first place I wouldn't need the loan. I can understand if the answer they come back to me with is that I need to make the repairs, I'm only asking if there can be an alternative. Unfortunately it's been over a week and no one has gotten back to me. So here I am in limbo and in a Catch-22 situation.

Nationstar mortgage is a company who cares and has a heart for their home owners or for those that want to own their home. We are beyond pleased with them. For the first time in our entire life have we had such a beautiful experience of care.

Nationstar Mortgage

Payment hiccups are like weeds—noone wants them springing up. We're reviewing the account to see how we an help out. A member of our team will follow up privately to provide a resolution. -Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Nationstar acquired my mortgage. At the previous lender I used automatic payments because I knew and trusted them. During the transition I received several email and paper correspondences. Among them listing "To Do's: 5. Sign up for recurring automatic drafts with AutoPay and paperless statements with e-Correspondence" and instructions for how to sign up for automatic payments.

I never signed up for automatic payments. I sent a check that arrived and cleared 5 days before Nationstar made an automatic withdrawal from my account. They refused to refund it without first talking to my bank even though they acknowledge that: they had received the money, the money had been credited to my account, they took the money without permission. Rather than let them talk to my bank they agreed that they had acted without permission in withdrawing the funds and they will be credited to my next month's payment.

The most maddening habit they have in the customer services is to say "Right" after the customer makes a statement... Then go on to say why it is wrong. I think they are being taught to agree, so they seem agreeable while simultaneously doing nothing to agree. That a bank that makes loans asserts that it cannot issue a refund without confirming with a third party that a payment they acknowledge they have received is absurd. They are in the business of making loans, and they won't even refund credits. Simultaneously annoying and humorous.

Nationstar Mortgage

We appreciate you informing us of the issues you've experienced during the modification process. It is our goal to make every attempt to resolve your concerns. A member of our team will follow up privately to help out. Thanks! -Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

We have been trying to get a modification from Nationstar for 2 years now and every time Nationstar says that we need this paperwork or that paperwork and we have sent every single piece of paper they asked for and yet again we hear, "You're missing this or that." So once again today we hear that my wife's pay stubs are not sufficient proof of income when that's what they told us that they needed. We are so frustrated with the way this company does business. It's like they don't want to refinance anyone. My next complaint after writing this is going to the better business bureau. I am fed up with this company and after reading a lot of other people's review's I see we are not the only ones who are going through the same. I recommend that anyone needing a mortgage loan or refinance please do not do business with this company. You will so regret it. FED UP IN WISCONSIN. DONE WITH NATIONSTAR.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Refinancing was the easiest way to get a lower interest, and Nationstar did it straightforward. It was quick and easy. I didn't have to make a mortgage payment for two months. However, there was one error. They were supposed to incorporate in escrow my homeowners insurance and they did not, but that's okay. We could always add it.

I dealt with two different individuals Linda ** and Eric ** and they were both very prompt, courteous and eager to assist me in all ways. The refinancing for me was very simple, fast and convenient. I was very pleased with their work and how they represented Nationstar. Thank you!

Resolution In Progress

This company is an absolute joke! They bought out my loan and now I am stuck dealing with the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with in my life. I went through a divorce back in 2011 and the house was going to go into foreclosure due to my ex wife living there and not making the payments. She applied for a loan modification without my signature and it got approved due to a quit claim deed (that is only county paperwork). I have had many people call and ask for my signature and they said it could create an issue, then I have called and they said it was pushed through because of company policy and the quit claim deed. They changed the terms of the loan that I am attached to without my consent. The corrupt company policy doesn't trump the law, and I will tell you this won't be the last they will hear from me.

I have contacted the BBB, the Attorney General of Oregon, and I won’t stop until they void the modification or take me off the loan. I have done research upon research on this matter, and no place says that this is a legal transaction. I will not ever take this for an answer. Please review your corrupt policies, and contact me with a correct answer. I have been dealing with this issue for almost 3 years now, and I have given this company every chance to admit what they did was wrong. Very disappointed. I have had to go through so much trouble due the company, and my ex not working with me. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY IF YOU HAVE AN OPTION!!!

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

NationStar Mortgage offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers and loans for refinancing.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: NationStar pre-approves first-time homebuyers for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.
  • Customer support: Customers can call NationStar for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.
  • Helpful calculators: The NationStar website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.
  • Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.
  • Guidance: NationStar delivers no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.
  • Best for Those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Nationstar Mortgage Company Profile