3.98/5
Based on 1,164 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

Nationstar Mortgage LLC dba Mr. Cooper

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

8410 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 4, 2019

I was notified by the bank that held my mortgage on my second home in Florida that they had been bought by Mr. Cooper. I was contacted by a representative from Mr. Cooper that welcomed me and then explained the process of the change. He asked whether or not I was interested in considering a refinance of a home equity that I had at the time on my home here in Pennsylvania. The part that I didn’t like was that when I would be emailed information, it was only allowed to be online a certain time before it was no longer available. I did not and do not have a smartphone, so I didn’t upload stuff. I did download it, but I found that a little annoying.

Their guidance was okay at times, but at other times, it appeared that the right hand didn’t know what the left hand was doing. When it came to timing me up for the closing, I specifically said I did not want the closing clause to be included in the loan itself. They emailed me the closing document, and it included that. I had to contact the person that was handling it, and they re-adjusted things. Then I was told, when the person from the closing outfit came for me to sign papers, that I should have a certified check for the amount that they told me was due for the closing cost. So, I went to the bank, got the certified check, came back, had an email from the man who was supposed to be helping me through this process and sent them an email saying, “I have the certified check, so that’s taken care of.” He called me and said, “I’ll have to check.”

Then, I was notified that I wasn’t supposed to have the certified check. It was supposed to be an electronic check. So, I had to go back to the bank and deposit the certified check back to into my checking account, and then I paid $30 to have the amount wired. I called and got the closing payoff amount for the HELOC loan that I had on my home here. Because he couldn’t seem to get them to do it, I took care of it. However, I was told again that with the one credit card I said to include, they said they would send me a check for that amount and I would send it in, but the money for the HELOC loan would be emailed or electronically sent to the bank. That wasn’t the case as they sent me a check for the amount for the bank, so I had to go down there. And the amount was not what they were told, so for the sake of two cents, I spent a half hour there and they got it straightened out at the bank.

When I first talked to the person, they indicated that the interest would be what it had been with the bank that had owned the mortgage loan. But it wound up to be 4.5% instead of a 3.85%, which was a full point lower than the interest I was paying on the HELOC and on the credit card that I included. Another thing was I specifically said I wanted it to be only for 10 years. I was notified by them that they couldn’t do it. It had to be 15 or 20 years. I called them back and said, “I don’t wanna bother if it’s not for 10 years.” Then, they somehow came to agree that they could do it for 10 years. So, I’m paying an extra of almost $500 a month in paying it off, and I am soon going to fill out paperwork to have it be bi-weekly because I wanna get rid of it.

I was in the midst of a lot things here with my own life and I just wanted to get it over with, so I did not take the time to compare the cost of different things. I possibly could’ve done better on the closing clause, but that was something that I didn’t do. I would recommend people to shop around to see whether or not some of the services that were provided could have been offered at a lesser rate by somebody else.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have a new car payment. I also have another payment for our air conditioner right now and they have to fix it up again and change another thing from that one. We live with social security only, so we were kind of tough to cover all the payments. We did, but we don’t have any more for us even to have a cup of coffee or soda.

Other people offered me an equity loan. But I thought, “Why don’t I call the bank? They have my mortgage. Maybe they can do something about it.” So I called Mr. Cooper and everybody was very nice. They told me I can do the refinance. They also said I can pay interest rates in only one account, not in a different account, which is really good. I was paying an interest rate in the car, and there were two bills that I have to pay interest rates also. So, besides the mortgage, they raise up the interest rate because I have finished with the modification. Everything really seems like it's gonna help. And so far, I’m very happy with that. They were very helpful and nice.

First, I spoke to a nice gentleman. He put in my computer the good and the bad on the loan and also, how many things they are gonna cover and how much is gonna be my total. And if I agree, they told me what I have to do is fax to them the copy of my social security statement. They also tell how much they give us every month. So we went there and sent the copy to them, and two days later, the rep called me and said a lady is gonna take care of my loan. Her name is Angie. She was a nice lady as well. And everybody there was nice, too. So far, I don’t have problems. Before, we have other people taking care of my mortgage and they change constantly. But now, it seems like they are more assured and all-around, more organized. They don’t have to sell the mortgage to somebody else so I feel more secure with them.

Since day one, we have a very good relationship with Mr. Cooper. We try our best also to cover our obligation. So we don’t have any problems with the statements. The numbers match and we have a home. They are the people that we can really trust. In these days, you don’t find companies that you can trust because they just care about themselves and not about the customer. But these people from Mr. Cooper, they really care about us.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I had a mortgage that was sold to Mr. Cooper. Refinancing with them seemed easier to me. I really wasn’t interested in doing a long-term search. They were my mortgage company already, and so I decided to use them. And I was very impressed with the process with them, so I was glad I did. I called and I got a representative, a gentleman who knew his stuff. He understood and knew what was going on. He assumed some stuff, and he was right on about what he assumed, about what my house was worth, and how much I was in debt. It’s a debt consolidation. Then, I was sent to his loan processor, Sonya, and she was absolutely amazing. Because I’m not the greatest genius on a computer, and when I would get stuck, she would facilitate it. They were both very helpful.

I have a friend that’s in the mortgage business and she’s always complaining about the loan processor. “They’re not at work today,” or “They didn’t get the paperwork in time.” I ran into none of those problems. These people were on their game and knew what they were talking about. They could facilitate something for me, and they did. I applied on November 30th, and I had the loan closed approximately on December 14th. If I panicked, I’d call Sonya up. I didn’t understand one of the questions about homes I owned. I asked her what that meant and how far back was I supposed to go. She said, “No, no, no. They just wanna know if you lived in the last establishment, did you own it? Just write me a note. Just sign a document that you didn’t own it, you were renting, and that’s all. We’ll get that taken care of.” She was very quick to respond.

The only problem I had at the end was they were supposed to disperse the checks on Day X. Somebody didn’t get the checks ready for FedEx on time, it was a weekend, and then I had to wait three more days for my checks to come in. And I told the FedEx guy that I heard they had a storm. He said they didn’t have any storm and asked it it was what they told me at Mr. Cooper. I said yes and he said, “No, they were late getting the checks in to us. So, since you were delayed, here’s the transactions that happened.” But I know that happens in any business, that somebody’s rushed and they don’t get the paperwork. I know FedEx and UPS are hard sometimes to meet the deadlines.

Since I refinanced with Mr. Cooper, the APR went up a little bit, not anything that terrified me. I thought it was still good. And I’m not stressed anymore. I had to do some remodeling. I got burnt by an illegal flip on a house I bought. I had to tear down a whole room and rebuild it because the city condemned the room because it was built wrong.The plumbing and the electrical were wrong. And I could have died in a fire for all I know. So, I got money from the gentleman that sold me the bad house. But there’s still other things. He lied on disclosures, too. So, I was over my head. And the refinance with Mr. Cooper went smoothly, I don’t have any more debt, and I’m saving to do the last couple of things I have to do on the house. So, I’m happy.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had a loan through Nationstar and they sold my loan. That's how banks are. I didn't have a choice. One bank took the other and it was a depressing experience because I'm not really one who keeps a tack on everything. When Nationstar said they sold my loan, I said okay. But I came to find out that I was not given the same interest rate that I had from the other bank. Points were added to it. Nationstar gave me paperwork but no one told me anything. It's either that or Mr. Cooper changed the prices.

My husband passed away and I refinanced the loan. They kept telling me I had 18 more years and I could get it down to 15 more years for X amount of dollars. But they didn't ever really tell me the closing cost. To this day, I don't know. How I found out what I owed was because somebody asked if I didn't wanna get a life insurance policy on it. And I did. But they didn't give me any paperwork. They just sent me this blank piece of paper and I was supposed to send it to them. It's basically my name, my phone number and my address. I didn't know any information which really bothers me. But I work and I don't take phone calls during the day. So I don't know how I'm supposed to get ahold of these people. 90% don't even have a weekend.

There was just a lack of information. What they do is send you all this paperwork and then ask you to sign it. When you work full time, all you wanna do is sign it. But they should say, "Now, your interest rate's this and your payment's gonna be this because to refinance it, it costs you $3,000.” Also, the housing payment went up, not down. Although I am cutting three years off, that's not that much since I paid $518 and now I'm gonna be paying $560. Supposedly, the interest rate went down but it doesn’t sound like it to me. Financially, I don't know why it went up so high for just three years.

I have been getting screwed ever since my husband passed away. I’m 60 and people see me as a widow. I'm trying not to be gullible. I'm trying not to be stupid but I’ve gotten burned so many times now and he's only been gone exactly one year today. But overall, the experience was not bad. I don't hate them. The people that I worked with seemed very nice and I would recommend them. They just need this information so maybe, with the next person that they're gonna refinance, they would give a little more information.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I started out with Freddie Mac years ago but they went under during the bad times and it was taken over by some company that was managing the account. Then Mr. Cooper got it. When Nationstar finally picked up a big block of Freddie Mac loans, everything fell in place where I could refi. When you're coming out of a bankruptcy, not many people will even talk to you about it, but since Mr. Cooper already had my paperwork on file and I was established with them, I reached out to them. They were very upfront with the cost. I had some out-of-pocket expenses, which was no surprise, but I got exactly what I was asking for. I was pleasantly surprised.

My customer service experience with Mr. Cooper was excellent. I have nothing but good things to say of the loan officer I dealt with, and Karen, the closer, was excellent. Her attitude was fabulous. She stayed on top of stuff and was really sharp. I'm a retired homicide detective so I don’t give out accolades very often about how people do their job, but I was very impressed with Karen's knowledge and her toughness. She really stayed on task and I really felt like I had someone in my corner. It made me feel really good.

We had some issues going in where we had filed a bankruptcy five and a half years ago and it was over with, and Karen discovered that my attorney’s office never filed the proper paperwork so we could proceed with the mortgage. So when I contacted my attorney’s office, it caught them with their pants down that they had not filed the proper paperwork that they needed to do, and Karen was the one who pointed that out. I also got the paperwork in the mail that said my other mortgage was satisfied and totally paid off, and on October 1, I'd make my first payment on my new mortgage.

I get concerned, however, when I'm getting all this bogus stuff in the mail like it is from Mr. Cooper and I know it's not. I even had something that said, “Mr. Cooper,” and then it had my name under it. It is an insurance company that’s trying to play themselves off as Mr. Cooper to get me to write a policy for the amount of my mortgage. I have no problem doing that but I would rather go through Mr. Cooper. I tried to be loyal. So I wanna call Mr. Cooper about getting an insurance policy that would pay my mortgage off if anything happens to me. I'm 62, my wife is 66 and we've got a 15-year note, but we're accelerating the payments drastically to pay the loan off. Overall, my experience with Mr. Cooper was really good from start to finish. I'd recommend them in a minute.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: June 14, 2019

We were extremely happy with the process especially with Roslyn, our processor, who was very efficient and kept us informed the whole time... She made it very easy, We also found it helpful to be able to do so much of it online.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Every step of our process was easy and fast. Our customer service was excellent by all parties that were involved. I think the hardest thing about the whole process was getting ready for our appraisal. We are very grateful for all the help we received, and will recommend Mr. Cooper in the future.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I was with Veterans United and my loan was sold to Mr. Cooper the second it closed. The first guy from Mr. Cooper who called to talk to me about refinancing options was rude so, I hung up on him and told him to lose my number. Then, the second guy didn’t have all the information. The third one was more informative and very polite and we agreed to move forward with the refinance with them. He was very knowledgeable and had all the numbers ready to go. He told us exactly step by step everything that was gonna happen and he was spot on. Everything was just as expected. With Mr. Cooper, we didn't have to pay due mortgage which was nice and our payment was much lower, so it's really good. Just make sure that all the refinance sales personnel that are calling are knowledgeable, professional and have a good attitude before they pick up the phone.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Everyone at Mr. Cooper was professional, courteous and patient. Ms. **, my loan processor, worked incredibly hard to get my loan in order and I really appreciated it. She kept me informed at every step and made sure everything went as smoothly as possible.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Couldn’t be happier. It was fast efficient and can’t say enough about... them. How awesome the loan processor was > Rodrigo ** helped us each step of the way. Many things I didn’t know how to do and he was so patient and kind!!! Highly recommend. They have great service!!!

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have to say this was one of the most quick and painless processes I have through to do a refi, and this was mostly due to the two gentlemen who worked with me. I am not real savvy with the process of taking pictures of docs and forwarding them through the laptop, but these two talked me through each document, even though I started by taking a picture of myself! Brad ** and Tyler ** held my hand and talked me through each step, and I am sure it is because of their knowledge this seemed painless to me, maybe not to them, but they were always professional, patient, and displayed a nice sense of humor. Thank you Mr. ** and Mr. ** for making this the best experience I have had going through a home refi.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I called to inquire about refinancing to consolidate debt. Mr. Cooper made it fast and easy to do so. Their representatives discussed all options with me and kept in touch throughout the whole process. The ability to upload documents and follow the progress of the loan onto the website was an added plus.

Original review: June 12, 2019

All worked seamlessly to refinance my loan. Everything was done in a timely fashion and all involved were very helpful at getting everything to completion. I would definitely recommend to anyone in need of a mortgage either first or as a refinance.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Our experience with Mr. Cooper was wonderful! From the start of the process working with Kyle to the actual loan work up dealing with Jack ** was wonderful. This was my first experience doing a refi - and Jack just held our hands through the whole ordeal with great confidence. He was professional, kind and speedy. Thank you to all Mr. Cooper staff and Jack and Kyle.

Original review: June 12, 2019

From the moment we picked up the phone and to our initial agent Ryan ** we knew that it was going to be an upfront no hassle professional experience. Phase two was with Steven ** who as well kept us updated and informed on the whole process. Mr Cooper's website was extremely informative and 98% of the official paper work could be signed online. From Inquiry to close We would recommend Mr Cooper mortgage and refi team.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I refinanced my home loan after Mr Cooper bought out my previous home loan. In the middle of all that paperwork I panicked on whether I was making the right choice but they were great at crunching numbers and making a few changes. We even closed on time! The staff I worked with her AMAZING!

Original review: June 12, 2019

We recently Refinanced our home with Mr. Cooper. From beginning to end, everything went very smoothly. All of the people we talked to were very helpful and courteous!! When I had questions, they always returned my calls promptly!! Great service and I am very pleased with my new lower monthly payment and interest rate!!! I highly recommend Mr. Cooper!!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Mr. Cooper made the process very easy for us to complete. Their communication was always clear and requests for additional information gave us ample time to submit. They even sent someone to our house for closing at a convenient time for us, we didn't have to go anywhere. I would have liked one more percentage point lower on the interest rate, that would have got five stars.

Original review: June 11, 2019

There was a team assigned to us and we felt like they were totally committed to getting us the best service they could give. We're completely satisfied with the results, saving $70 monthly on our mortgage payment. We would recommend Mr. Cooper to any of our friends and relatives. And we are at ease with our ongoing relationship with them.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Went through a refi that was as quick and painless as any loan process I've ever been through. Even with a little hiccup of having to explain why I worked for one company that was owned by another of a different name it was perfect. Everything was upfront and was kept well apprised of how the process was moving forward. I would definitely recommend Mr. COOPER.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Mr. Cooper associates were very helpful and professional in all aspects of my refinance. My questions or concerns were answered and addressed in a timely manner. The whole process from start to end took only 30 days. I would highly recommend to both my family and friends.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Amazing service. Can’t say enough about the Excellent service we received. They kept us informed throughout the process. Another lender couldn’t help us but Mr. Cooper came through in a big way. We are super happy and saving a bunch of money with our refi.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Brittany was very helpful and friendly. I called to get information on my account regarding insurance. I was forwarded to the insurance department and they were able to quickly answer my questions. Happy with Mr. Cooper! Thanks for the help.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I was pleasantly surprised with the process we followed for a refinance this spring. I appreciated the options I was presented with and how the online interface allowed me to keep track of paperwork and timelines. I had a bad experience with a prior lender, which makes this successful refi so much more satisfying.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Have been a customer since Mr. Cooper purchased my mortgage a couple of years ago. Decided to do a cash refinance to do some updating and repairs to my home. All aspects of the transaction was extremely easy. Staff were true professionals and did what they said they would do when they said they would do it! Entire transaction completed in just a little over a month. Living in the Hurricane Michael ravaged panhandle of Florida, it was a blessing to be able to accomplish this transaction in such a timely manner. Thanks Mr. Cooper! Would definitely recommend them for your mortgage needs!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

The process of the loan went well and the customer service by Tamara ** was awesome, but we had to meet with a notary twice which should not happen. Also our payment was taken out of the bank even though we are told we didn't have to pay it that month, when we asked about it they said you were supposed to shut it off. No one told us so we had to wait almost a month to get our money back. There were small issues but still issues.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Everyone we talked with during the refinance procedure was kind, considerate, patient and helpful as they walked us through the entire process. From the beginning to the closing, they were easy to work with and explained things well making it easier to follow the steps.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I was expecting a long lengthy application to closing period but I worked with two of the most efficient people--Kathy ** and Marcelo (can't remember the last name at the moment) and it was done and funded in 2 weeks! I really like doing business with Mr. Cooper.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I was already an existing Mr. Cooper customer, so refinancing with them was the best option. Michael ** was my mortgage consultant and I was extremely happy with his level of professionalism. He kept updated throughout the entire process, and answered all my questions very thoroughly. I would definitely recommend these guys, especially Michael.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Zac ** was very efficient and always there when I had any concerns. What an asset to your company!! If all the employees were like him you would have 5 stars always. I would use this company again! Great experience.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information