3.78/5
  • 1 star
Based on 689 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Mr. Cooper, formerly known as Nationstar Mortgage, is one of the largest home loan servicers in the country focused on delivering a variety of servicing and lending products, services and technologies to make the home loan process more rewarding and less worrisome for our customers.

Mr. Cooper is more than just a new brand name. It represents a better way of doing business. We’re keeping things simple, focusing on solutions and putting customers first. We’re on a journey to better, and we won’t stop until we achieve our goal: To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

Mr. Cooper Video
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

6835 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We had the best experience with Mr Cooper; I would recommend this company. Our loan process was easy, fast and enjoyable. The company we where trying to go thru before deciding to stay with Mr. Cooper was a nightmare. Thank you for my experience

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

The loan process with Mr. Cooper was great. Everything was made simple and easy with their knowledgeable and friendly staff. I was able to complete everything online. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. The staff is courteous and friendly.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

The experience was very smooth and professional. I was very pleased with the way things went and the way that the whole process was handled. I was kept up to date with the progress and any questions that I had were quickly answered. I would recommend Mr. Cooper to anyone that was looking for a great group of people that treat everyone like family.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This was the easiest refinance I've ever experienced. The individuals I worked with were highly competent and responsive. My calls were returned immediately and questions were answered fully. I loved the ease of transmitting documents securely!! I highly recommend Mr. Cooper.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My house was damaged in Hurricane Irma in early September 2017. I received a settlement check from the insurance company in early December and sent it to Mr. Cooper on Dec. 5th. I had paid to have my house repaired and it was mostly done at this point. Mr. Cooper took three weeks to inspect my house and release some of the funds. They now hold $6000, the remaining amount and have asked for a reinspection, cancelled a reinspection because a check is due, cancelled the check distribution, and rescheduled the check distribution. If all goes well I should have my remaining money by February 1. I have called every day and that has actually been the high point of my service. The people answering the phone have been very helpful, but if I could change my mortgage company, I would. Mr Cooper is keeping my money at their whim and with no right, because they can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Keith ** deserves a raise! He is amazing, knowledgeable, courteous and gets things done!!! If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have refinanced! Was prompt in getting back to me as well! Can’t give him enough KUDOS!!! The notary did not seem very knowledgeable and the whole experience of doing the signing at home was convenient but would prefer to have lawyer present versus phone access.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

The two reps that I encountered from Mr. Cooper were very professional and timely. A few hiccups here and there but in the end, they gave me what I asked for and we all got what we wanted. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

We get 2-3 calls a week "introducing Mr Cooper" and leaving a phone # to call. You call the number, and it is only an announcement message saying Nationstar is now Mr Cooper-- with no problems with your account. We have asked to be opted out of this twice, and nothing has changed. Bad company with Very Stupid Name.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We did a refi a couple of years ago and our loan ended up being sold to Mr. Cooper when they were Nationstar. We had so much equity in the house that we wanted to just basically take a loan out on ourselves. We went from a 15-year loan to a 20-year loan. So, our monthly payment is almost exactly the same. We decided to do one of the cash out refi's and since we're already with Mr. Cooper, it seemed like a simple fit, and it was. The reps were very knowledgeable and professional. The only thing that confused us was right after we completed the process, they sold us to Wells Fargo. Even so, we had peace of mind since refinancing our loan.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This is probably the worse mortgage company I have dealt with. I have at least 6 different mortgage companies with different homes and never had any problem but this company and its staffs doesn't seem to get anything solved. Each issue I have with this mortgage company I probably called at 4-8 times, each lasting at least 30 minutes, without getting anything solved. All they want to know is if I was satisfied with their service at the end.

My problem started when I discovered I was no longer in a flood zone. I tried to cancel my flood insurance by myself and later through my agent. That problem lingered for over 5 months with at least 8 phone calls, wasting at least 4 hours total. I was finally able to get it cancelled only to discover that they purchased a forced flood insurance months later at 4 times the price I paid previously. I tried to get them to remove it and had their hazard insurance specialist on the phone each time where they verified on the FEMA website that it was not in a flood zone but they will only accept a letter personally from FEMA stating I was not in a flood zone to remove the policy.

By then, I became so exhausted dealing with this mortgage company that I decided I will just pay off my loan and be done with this company. Little did I know they will take forever to return my property tax escrow check. Normally it would take 4 weeks to get you escrow money back. 5 weeks after paying off my loan, I called Nationstar Mortgage and the first representative did not know if a check was mailed. I spoke to someone higher up and the person stated that they will cancel the old check and mail me a new one and it should arrive in 5-7 business days. So, I waited another 2 weeks and still no check.

Today I called again and the representative stated the check was mailed to the wrong address. I am not sure how you mail a check to the wrong address when this is the same address that I been paying mortgage on over the life of the mortgage. So, after 7 weeks, I am still waiting. Hopefully it gets here within 7 business days as they stated. In the meantime, my property tax is due and I am still waiting to pay it. I hope everyone read the reviews and realize this company does not deserve your business. No wonder it had to change name from Nationstar to Mr. Cooper.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. I work for a 3rd party trying to acquire information for a customer. They did not accept his written authorization, he called and gave them verbal authorization and still every time I tried to contact them after the initial call they would state that there was no authorization on the account. In 3 business days I made 2 Requests through their Touchstone service, spoke to someone who was supposed to email me the document and called and spoke to another rep for them and still never received the document. They said they sent the document to our mutual client but then he had to call back as well and jump through hoops just to open it.

On my last call I told the rep it had nothing to do with her but I would like to be transferred to a manager and she more or less refused. She told me the issues had been resolved, it had not, and then she kept repeating the same wording over and over again. She never apologized or even tried to appease me. Just said her manager would read me the same prewritten statement as to avoid doing anything to fix the problem for future. I told her the circle of a conversation was going nowhere, that this is why the customer was refinancing his loan and that I would find another way to file a complaint. If my mortgage was ever transferred here I would immediately refinance.

Resolution response: Jan. 12, 2018

The issue has now been resolved since I filed with Consumer Affairs and BBB as well as The Department of savings and mortgage lending. This should have been a quick fix but after over 10 calls and over 2 months of calling into Mr Cooper and getting NO RESPONSE, I had to spend more of MY time to make them respond. I will NEVER do business with this company EVER again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I requested a payoff to my mortgage and it was taking forever. All the while the interest was mounting. So, I send in more than enough to cover the balance. Since this time, I have been waiting almost 2 months for the correct amount to be refunded. They received and cashed the check on the 15th of the month and will not refund the interest from the 15th to the 31st that they did not earn. I have filed with the "BBB" and the "Dept of Savings and Mortgage Lending". My next step will be to file a lawsuit in small claim court. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had a loan with Nationstar who eventually changed to Mr. Cooper. It seemed like a good idea to get a lower interest rate and they started sending me paperwork and explaining what it was. I put off it for a few years and finally said, “Well, why not?” They were awesome and really helped me out. The loan officer called me back and explained things I didn’t understand. He was really good and kept in contact with me either via email or phone call. I haven’t made the first payment yet but the payments went down.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Unable to contact PMI removal Department. My credit score is excellent at 820. After several calls and long waiting Eventually obtained address and form. Faxed and mailed twice and they did not respond. Their nasty trick is to make you log on to their website where you forgo all of your rights. Texas criminals?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Mr. Cooper transferred me from my previous mortgage lender, and then I reapplied. The rep helped me through the whole process, and it was done quickly. He gave me all the options, information, how to save money and what's the best interest rate. He knows what he's doing and he's helped me a lot. I shortened my terms from 30 years to 15 years, and that's good.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Mr. Cooper took over our mortgage, and their customer service team has been excellent. They're fast, efficient and friendly. The guys who texted were fantastic. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

We achieved our overall objective but it took entirely too much engagement with senior managers and way too long (3 months to Refi a home with a 780 credit score and 60% equity). Originally, got run around on getting a reasonable rate - took manager to straighten out. Then scheduling the closing was comical as Mr. Cooper agent had difficulty scheduling the closing because they did not understand time zones or use of computer scheduling tools.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Mr. Cooper was already my mortgage company and my loan was transferred to them. Their reps were always answering my questions and staying in touch, and I loved it. Everything was professional.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Our house is for sale but until we sell it, we still need to make payments on it. We needed the payment down to where we could still afford to live in it and do other things as necessary. Also, my husband retired so there's a huge decrease in immediate income. We refinanced with Mr. Cooper and everything seems to be going fine. We found out we qualified for a HARP program so it didn't take very long to get it all processed. Our interactions with the professionals have always been without a hitch and they got my questions answered or sent me to the right department because I was probably calling the wrong person. We were able to lower the payment and get things going on a better payment schedule.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Mr. Cooper's agent did us such a good job before and we kept him. And again, he did a very fine job. Mr. Cooper guided us excellently when we were discussing our refinancing options. We had our original loan with them when we bought our house. And we figured the cost wouldn't be so much going through the same one we already had, which is how it worked out. Everything has been good.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We had to sell a rental property and then, we had enough money to pay down our loan. So, it was time for us to refinance. And our initial loan was redirected to Mr. Cooper. I really love them and the way their website is. It's easy to figure out everything regarding our house payment. Everything was very clear to me. And they were great to deal with. If I had questions, I just call back and spoke to their representative. And they made everything so easy. I'm totally satisfied and I don't want anybody else to handle my mortgage.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Mr. Cooper had my mortgage and I was trying to shorten it. I dealt with two people and they were really good as well as professional. Plus, they didn't waste my time. I called and told them I'm going to start seeking this out and that I'm going to look at a couple of things. The person I talked to was brief and just gave me the facts that I was looking for. I mulled over it for a couple of days then started to get the ball rolling. I then dealt with Sharmaine. At some point, they sent me information on the e-docs and I waited and waited until I finally called to check on it. They kept getting my name mixed up with somebody else's and sent some stuff to them. I even got three calls from Mr. Cooper asking for somebody else with a similar name and it was irritating. Other than that, the way they handled everything was great. I have already made my first payment and just waiting for it to go through.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Mailed Mr. Cooper payment document for extra principal payment. The check was processed by my bank 12/5/2017. Mr. Cooper placed funds in unapplied fund account. The payment stub marked for principal payment was checked and a note on check said extra principal payment. Received a letter dated 12/5/17. Called 12/28/17. Was on hold for 25 minutes then disconnected, called back and was told the extra payment went to principal payment on the 11th. I send extra principal payments every month. A note was attached to my account. Will send another check next week and see if applied in a timely manner.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

A person can get old, die and turn to dust before these people answer the phone! Unreal. Two days in a row calling and these fools are always "helping other customers, but your turn is coming up really fast..." Uhuh, fast? As in before the century ends???

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I was a customer of Nationstar when Mr. Cooper took over them. I was satisfied with the way Mr. Cooper was handling business and the customer service. I needed to lower my monthly mortgage payment because it’s a tremendous expense and I’m on a limited fixed income. My interactions with the representatives were great. They were all professionals every time I call to find out about my escrow account. I tried to refinance before and I had a problem. But this time, the lady walked me through it and she got it done. The refinance went through within a short amount of time and I was happy with that. Mr. Cooper went out of their way to give me a good and genuine customer service and I now have a lower monthly payment. I'd tell others that if they are looking to refi a home, I would definitely recommend them to Mr. Cooper.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

This operation is negligent in issuing the dispersal check for escrowed taxes. Their customer service lacks follow-through on issues, and instead blames another department for delays, stating, "I don't know what happened." They have no solution in hand to remedy service issues and instead ask the customer what they should do. Plan to be put on hold for at least 30 minutes should you call with a concern. Avoid this company.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Refinancing with Mr. Cooper is pretty fast. You could do it in half a month and that's a good thing. At the start, I was with my insurance company, Nationstar. And then I got a letter from Mr. Cooper. They called me and then when I called back, they started to refinance my old mortgage. Since Nationstar and Mr. Cooper are related together, refinancing here saves me money. However, they gave me a number, $3,180 and when I finished refinancing, the number went off to $2,279. They explained that it's because the property tax went off.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

From the information you submitted, we understand that these are your allegations: "A property inspector for Nationstar Mortgage was sent to inspect your home." Nationstar attempted to gain entry to my home on several occasions. The inspector pulled into the driveway and began to speak me in degrading manner, calling me a "**" and a stupid baboon, which we were able to record with my iPhone. The inspector then drove off and circled back around in front of my home and continued to agitate the situation. We contacted the Police Department, filed an incident report and contacted the attorney.

I am the executor and owner of an estate property. Bank of America sold the mortgage on the property to Nationstar currently Mr. Cooper. We have requested a home modification and Mr. Cooper denied the loan because they stated I don't live in the home. I provided court documentation along with statements showing who I am. They admitted to wrongfully denying the modification because I have multiple rental properties. Living in the home or not, HAMP requirements does not state you have to live in the home and rental properties are included. The discrimination along with the wrongful denial of HAMP program has prompted me to report this to all lawful organization. The estate is seeking to have this situation rectified by Mr. Cooper. I will post the outcome.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My initial loan was through Bank of America and then it was transferred to Mr. Cooper. I refinanced with them and the communication was great. They went over the different options with me and they were very helpful and proactive in calling or emailing me. From the time I contacted them to the time it was wrapped up, the process took a month and a half. The process was simple, a lot easier than I thought it would be. Plus, I got a better interest rate and my loan was shortened. Everything went well and the customer service was great.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

My mortgage was sold to Nationstar Mortgage also known as Mr. Cooper by CitiMortgage. My 1st mortgage payment was supposed to be 1 Dec 2017. On 11 Dec 2017, I noticed that my account was not debited. I called Mr. Cooper and a representative from Dallas said that nothing was set up for EZ pay (automatic payment debited from my checking account). Since that was the case, I made an electronic payment from my checking account to cover December 2017’s mortgage payment. On 12 Dec 2017, my checking account was mysteriously debited by Mr. Cooper for Dec 2017 mortgage payment after I already made an electronic payment the day before. So this makes 2 payments to Mr. Cooper for the month of Dec 2017.

On 13 Dec 2017, I initiated a teleconference with my husband and a female service representative named Jamie from Kansas. She confirmed that 2 payments were made for Dec 2017. I asked to be refunded the initial amount that was debited. She agreed but had to confirm from my banking institution that the transaction has been cleared by my bank. So she contacted my bank and we all teleconferenced. I heard my bank confirm that funds cleared. So this Jamie tells me that a refund was going to be issued in a form of a check which I should receive in 7-10 business days. I asked why not refund me electronically and she said that’s not what Mr. Cooper does. They issue refunds directly to the customer through a check.

On 19 Dec 2017, I called Mr. Cooper again and spoke to a Jennifer who then transfers me to a Jake. Told my story to Jake who checks on my account and was told by his manager that since it was an ACH (electronic) transaction that my refund was going to be made electronically. Jake tells me that no refund in the form of a check was ever initiated by Jamie from Kansas whom I spoke to on 13 Dec. Jake tells me it should take 24-48 hrs for the electronic refund. On 22 Dec 2017, I called Mr. Cooper and spoke to Brenda from Harlingen Texas. Told her my story. She tells me that there has not been an electronic refund initiated. Realizing this is beyond her expertise, she transfers me to a manager named Bradley (badge # **) from Harlingen, Texas. Bradley assures me that he was going to directly email the person responsible from account services and ensure that a refund is made. Bradley states that it will take 24-48 hrs for a refund.

I told Bradley I was highly dissatisfied with the customer service experience I’ve had in the very short time my account was with Mr. Cooper and I wanted to file an electronic complaint. He tells me that there is no forum to do such thing and that he can file the complaint for me. I declined and wanted to do it myself because Mr. Cooper has not kept their word so far. Bradley gave me an address in Irving, Texas to write my complaint. That same morning, I received an automated phone call from Mr. Cooper and was asked to rate their service. I gave them a poor rating. That afternoon, 22 Dec 2017, to my surprise, my account was refunded. You would think this was going to be the end of this issue. That same day, Mr. Cooper reverted that transaction and took the money from my account again.

26 December 2017, I check my bank account and I see that on 22 Dec 2017, Mr. Cooper credited my account, reverted that credit then posted another deposit for 26 Dec. I called my bank to verify all these transactions I see and they can’t help so they connect me to Mr. Cooper (again). I speak to Keisha from Kansas. I tell her that for continuity purposes, I would like to be transferred to Bradley. I give her his badge # and she tells me that it won’t help me any. There is no way of finding him. So I’m stuck with her and tell her my story again for the millionth time. She confirms that on 22 Dec 2017, a credit was credited back to my checking account but was also taken back on the same day. She says another credit was issued on 26 Dec 2017 and offers a confirmation #. I will check my account every day, starting today to see what surprise Mr. Cooper will bring me.

So for weeks now, I’ve dealt with an inconsistent and incompetent group of people who have inconsistent information. Who knows if those people I've dealt with gave me their real names and badge numbers? I am very dissatisfied with the service I am getting from Mr. Cooper. I can’t imagine this company being in existence this long if this is how they treat their stakeholders. I wish I could just pay my house off but I can’t so I will look into refinancing my mortgage with someone else. CUSTOMER BEWARE! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MR. COOPER!

Mr. Cooper Company Information

www.mrcooper.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use