Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to lower my interest and payments and the reps at Nationstar were very efficient and pleasant during the refinancing. They had the information that I requested at their fingertips. I got a lowered interest and a lowered payment, and they didn't have to come in and check the current value of the home. The two gentlemen who I dealt with over the phone and the internet were terrific and the young lady who was with the title company that Nationstar used was also fantastic.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The rep I spoke to was awesome. If I ever had to leave her a voicemail, she got back to me within the hour. Any questions my husband or I had throughout the process, she would call anytime and was very knowledgeable about where she does the whole process. If she didn’t know, she made the correct calls. She knew what her resources were. The overall experience was awesome. I would definitely do it again with Nationstar.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to refinance to lower interest rate. I went with Nationstar since there was no appraisal. The process was really simple and I recommend them. There’d never been any trouble with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar was my mortgage holder. I wanted a lower payment and they had several options for me to pick from and so I refinanced with them. I didn’t have to wonder about what was happening for they told me everything that I needed to know and they seemed to be knowledgeable. They gave me some good advice and were able to explain what they were. I felt comfortable that they had the option that I needed to pick. They helped me with budgeting and gave me a little bit of breathing room.

Suzanne ** and Mark ** assisted me with a VA Refinance of my home and I was delighted with their services! Suzanne was very professional and easy to work with. She kept me informed throughout the entire process and was able to answer all of the questions I had concerning different aspects of the process. I would gladly work with her again, Suzanne ROCKS!

Nationstar Mortgage

Hello, I have located your account and will escalate this issue for you. I will reach out to you with an update within two business days.

In the meantime, I would like to provide you the contact phone number for the Executive Customer Relations group if you have any other questions or concerns. You can reach us by phone at 1.888.509.2432. We are available for you from Monday thru Friday, 7am to 5pm CST.

Thank you. ^LP

Original review: June 21, 2017

Incorrectly flagged account bankruptcy. Won't report credit. Horrible customer service. It's been 70 business days since I found the problem. They have finally removed the flag. They have not reported my perfect payment history. I'm selling and buying a new home and I can't wait. I will not be approved for the loan I need and will either be forced to buy a home we aren't wanting - or we can continue to wait and move into a family member's home and commute while we wait. Nationstar refuses to call credit bureaus and keeps telling me to wait for the day it is automatically reported but can't state the exact date.

It was explained to me that they have too many customers to call bureaus individually - I suggested that they should be able to do so case by case if needed. It took multiple calls up to this point to get the flag removed and I truly doubt it will be resolved and reported without multiple more calls. Incompetent company lacks customer service - customer disservice is abundant. They truly are hurting me for no reason. Unethical company. Stay away!

Nationstar Mortgage

We would like to review this information for you. We have located your account and will begin to research this issue involving inspections today. I will reach out to you with an update with in 2 business days.

Also, we would like to provide our contact information. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please contact us at 1.888.509.2432. We are available for you from 7am to 5pm CST, Monday thru Friday We look forward to speaking with you. Thank you ^Laquinte

Original review: June 17, 2017

I am reaching out to the NYS attorney general. After asking for 5 months for receipts for the so called inspection fees they are trying to gouge me on I get a massive printout which basically just shows ledgers of them supposedly paying companies to Come make sure I did not leave my property. Ironically one company, Solutionstar is a subsidiary Of Nationstar. Nationstar uses a clause that allows them to inspect properties on late mortgages.

While I understand the risk, clearly when a customer is paying their payments they have not abandoned the property. If they can't reach a customer they can impose this. However they have had contact with me through my payments. Corporate greed! 9.70% isn't enough for them. An inspection every so often I see. Not monthly. And not when you've been in touch with them.

Now since I asked the last time for my receipts to prove these visits, they have begun charging me for an inspection every week at 15.00. It's clear they want to gouge customers that are behind as much as they can. Putting money from one pocket to the other. To use this as an excessive way to take money is nothing more than fraud to me.

I ask for proof and now I get weekly inspections? I will fight through the NYS attorney generals office to get part or all of these back clearly showing they are using this clause to their advantage. Shame on Nationstar and their subsidiaries. They feed money to under a guise of the law. If I'm Not mistaken this isn't the first time they have been caught with excessive fees. I won't take it without a fight.

I want to thank Garrett ** and Ermin ** and all of the Nationstar, LLC staff for their outstanding commitment to my home loan. Both Garrett ** and Ermin ** took the time to walk me through every stage of the process, and help me refinance old 30-year mortgage to a new 15-year loan. Within a matter of days the process was underway and within a few weeks I was closing. Again, thank you gentlemen for a wonderful experience.

Nationstar Mortgage

I'll be glad to help. I can definitely understand the frustration you feel.

I have located your account and will begin the research on your behalf.

I will reach out to you within two business days with and update and/or resolution.

In the meantime, if there is anything else that we can help you with, please call 1.888.509.2432 or you can email us at social.media@nationstarmail.com.

Thank you. ^Laquinte

Original review: June 15, 2017

When the five year anniversary of my 5/1 ARM mortgage arrived (October 2016), I was expecting an adjustment because the prime interest rate had increased by 0.25% over this five year period. However, Nationstar Mortgage increased my mortgage interest rate by 0.75%, three times the interest rate rise during this period. Several calls to Customer Service demonstrated that the staff who answer the phone do not understand how interest rate adjustments on ARM really work. I wrote a letter to Nationstar in December, 2016. The response in January 2017 did not answer the question, but promised to escalate my concern. I have been waiting five months for the "escalation people" to respond. During this period, my numerous emails and phone messages have been ignored.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationstar Mortgage?

Nationstar Mortgage

Please provide the name and zip code associated with the property. I will be more than happy to look into this for you.

I would like to provide you the contact information for our Executive Customer Relations group so that you can contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Please telephone 1.888.509.2432 or you can email us at social.media@nationstarmail.com. Thank you. ^Laquinte

Original review: June 15, 2017

I unfortunately purchased investment property just before the bubble burst. I bought them with interest only loans to keep the payments low. The plan was to hold for 5 years and sell. Well you know what happened. The banks contributed to this bubble bursting mess but they got bailed out. Using our tax dollars (TARP). But now the culprits got raises and none went to prison but many victims remain and the banks like Nationstar refuses to help as they have been helped. Their greed is just the same old greed.

I spoke to a Nationstar rep 8 months ago or more to talk about my situation and mentioned that if they would not modify the loan and raised the interest rates that I would be forced underwater. They said I would have to be behind on my payments before they would talk to me. Then they raised my interest rate. Once this happened I could not afford the mortgage and I got behind. Now due to a new law that says if you claimed a loss on your taxes that is carried over, this amount will be deducted from your income when qualifying for a loan. Now I don't qualify for a loan or refi, even though my credit score was over 800. How does this make sense? Now Nationstar will not work with me for a short sale or for Deed in Lieu and has set a sale date for my property. Less than a month from today. I cannot say they did anything good for me.

Resolution response: June 20, 2017

I spoke to a representative who took the time to review my account history clouded by extreme amounts of posts and reversals. She put in for the final adjustments to make this right and I feel I need to keep my eyes on this account, at this time. The first opportunity I have, I plan to refinance.

Nationstar Mortgage

Hello, I would like to research and resolve your issue. I have located your account and will reach out to you with an update or resolution within 2 business days.

I would also like to provide you the phone number for the Executive Customer Relations team. We handle all escalated issues and will be glad to discuss with you any questions or concerns that you may have. You can call 1.888.509.2432. We also can be reached by email at social.media@nationstarmail.com.

We are here for you. My apologies for the issue you have experienced. I look forward to speaking with you soon. ^LP

Original review: June 14, 2017

Today, I spoke to the customer support supervisor, a CS rep, and a rep who hung up on me (although I was angry, I didn't raise my voice, nor was I rude, but I did insist on getting to the root of the issue and not simply reviewing payment history that was incorrect), for 2 hours and this was after a similar conversation with Nationstar customer service a month prior, regarding a payment incorrectly applied at their end causing a nightmare on my end. The root cause stems from Citi selling my mortgage to Nationstar, and a misapplied payment Citi made to my mortgage that was not my payment a year previous to the sale of my mortgage. I became aware of the error when Nationstar insisted my account was in arrears.

The supervisor directed me to provide my own research to correct the problem, not created by me, when Nationstar contacting Citi Mortgage would have been the correct way to fix this error created by the two mortgage companies. Although Veronica was quite understanding of the problem, she understood and expressed that the payments were incorrectly applied as I described the error to her, put me on "a short hold" that lasted 10 minutes, twice, and then fell back to the company language of my account being in arrears, which it has never been. Their easy resolution is for me to double pay my mortgage. This has been the worst mortgage experience I've ever had and I've purchased 4 homes and refinanced homes to recognize extremely poor customer service and total lack of responsibility, and lack of follow-up on an error I had no hand in creating.

Nationstar Mortgage

Good morning, I have located your account and will begin to research this for you right away. I will reach out to you at the phone number associated with your account within 2 business days to provide an update.

In the interim, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Executive Customer Relations group at 1.888.509.2432. We are available for you from 7am to 5pm CST, Monday thru Friday.

I will be speaking with you soon. Thank you. ^LP

Original review: June 13, 2017

I have been paying I and my wife's loan monthly for the past 5 years with Nationstar without a single payment missed or late to the tune of 60,000 + thousand and only 15000 actually went towards my loan. The person I just spoke with informed me interest was over 500 a month alone I pay 1139 a month. Perfect example how it is all going to the top. More people need to be aware and do the math.

I will be speaking with you soon. Thank you. ^LP

Original review: June 13, 2017

I have been using the same payment date for several years. When Nationstar bought my mortgage I was assured the payment date could continue. Now, I find they are charging a late fee even though all payments have been made either before or just after the agreed upon date that were set up through Wells Fargo.

Original review: June 12, 2017

Bought my mortgage from the BofA servicer, and nothing but problems. After years of zero issues, no missed payments or confusion, these guys can't figure out what to do with a check unless it matches *exactly* the statement amount. Constantly jiggering around with my escrow account, never able to apply payments to principal (even when told *explicitly* to do so). Never EVER admitting a mistake, not correctly reporting to credit agencies. Dealing with Nationstar has been a complete NIGHTMARE. NEVER NEVER NEVER again. I will pay more to have a "veto" over sales just so I can avoid ever doing business with this company.

Original review: June 12, 2017

Having been with Nationstar for many years for our vacation home, without problem using the old website. The new website is a nightmare and every time requires resetting via email link following a verification question and then get the message 'This operation is not allowed in the current authentication state' then followed by a very expensive phone call. Sick to death of them, save hours of your life and go with someone else!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar has been great with me. My mortgage was sold to them a few years back 'cause I've been in the house for 11 years now, and they've had it for at least half that time. I refinanced through them last month as we needed to see if we could get a lower interest rate. Everything was explained to me step-by-step, where I understood all of it, and we were qualified for the HARP loan, which we ended up getting. If I call them, they always had an answer for me.

They told me it was going to take until the end of the month, but it actually only took two weeks to get it done. It was a lot faster than they said, they were on top of everything. And every time you give them something they need, they didn't come back with something else over and over. They asked for everything all up front at one time, I gave it to them, and they did their thing. I was also so surprised that they set up a notary to come to me. We did everything electronically and it was a very good experience. They knew what they were doing, they're very professional, and it was seamless.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have been with Nationstar Mortgage for years. Everything went smoothly when discussing our refinancing options with their lending professional. I had questions about the docs that he sent so I sent him an email and he responded very quickly. So I liked that he was very punctual. We also experienced two months of nonpayment when we refinanced with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We refinanced with Nationstar to cut down on the length of time we were paying for our house. I'm 70 and my husband is 60 and we don't want to keep paying until we're too old to pay for it. We wanted to get the interest rate lowered, too. We want to get it paid for and 15 years sounded good to me because I was not going to sign for another 20, 30 years.

Overall, we are satisfied with Nationstar or we wouldn't continue using them. The interest rate is not lower but hopefully, we can get this house paid off faster. But I'm concerned about this letter that I got in the mail today from Nationstar. We will continue to deal with Nationstar but I'm confused why Fannie Mae is involved in anything. They sent a letter to us, a notification of assignment, sale or transfer of our mortgage loan. And it says, "$81,300 has been transferred by Nationstar Mortgage LLC to Fannie Mae. This transfer was effective 5/5/2017." And I don't know what this means.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My loan was transferred to Nationstar. When I recently called about something, they recommended I do a refinance. They transferred me to another department and I talked to them about it and things worked out. We finished up last month and my interactions with them were seamless. Everyone got in touch with me right away and they coursed me everyday by getting the information I needed so there was no delay in anything. Things got closed out within expected timeframe. Everything for me was pretty straightforward. They answered what questions I had. There was a little bit of concern because my loan is backed by the VA and I couldn't find my DD 214 right away but Nationstar was able to move forward without it. What they did on the back end saved a lot of time. The refinance saves me $200 a month and that's a good budget.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar had picked up my mortgage from Bank of America for a little while. I contacted Nationstar about a cash-out refinance because I was looking at doing remodeling but then they offered this streamline refinance, which was much more attracting to us. The guidance they provided when discussing the refinancing options was very good. The representative explained everything clearly and walked me down the paths. I was pleased with the programs and everything that he put out. We just made our first payment on the new refinance and we're glad with the reduction in the interest rate and we saved off a year of the overall debt. Instead of the 16 years to pay the debt, with the lower interest rate, it went down to 15 years. We're very happy.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've gotten divorced and in the divorce decree, I got the house, and the only way to get my ex-wife’s name off of the mortgage was to refinance. I first spoke with Robert who was super friendly and helpful. Throughout the refinancing process, I spoke with seven or eight different people and I didn’t anticipate that. But they were all very professional and helpful and they knew and did their job well. With the refinancing, I'm now experiencing a lower rate with the mortgage.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve been with Nationstar for about 10 years and I have an excellent experience using them. I was paying a way higher interest so I inquired about refinancing and now I'm paying way lower. Nationstar is a very professional outfit and their people are very knowledgeable and excellent to deal with. They're the best thing I’ve seen and others should go for them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a mortgage already, originally through Nationstar and then I just refinanced again through them to lower my payments. I had some issues with Joseph, the first person I talked to. He heard what I wanted but I had expressed that I had not been through this process besides when I first bought this house and that I was very inexperienced and was a little hesitant on doing it. He said no problem. Next thing I knew, I was already locked in and I had no clue what was going on. He just kept saying, "Oh, don't worry. It will all be okay. We'll work through it." They wanted us to get this VA loan because my husband was in the service. But unfortunately, because of how he left the service, I don't think he would've gotten it. Plus, we didn't have time to get all the forms in time that they needed it for.

The frustrating part is that he was just determined on that one and not listening. I had to finally tell him that I had to back out because I thought I was being very pressured into another type of mortgage that I didn't feel comfortable with or feel comfortable with how the situation was going so fast and things weren't being expressed to me by him. He appreciated that and parted ways at that time. Then a couple of weeks later, he called back with a different opportunity, a different type of loan and which is the one I ended up with, a refinance opportunity. He was much more explanatory in that process than he was the first time. So, I thought he had actually taken my advice. So I ended up going with it. We did get my payment lowered, which was the good part. Overall, we’re happy with it.

Nationstar Mortgage

Hello, we will be more than happy to escalate this issue for you. I will contact you with an update with in 2 business days. As well, I would like to provide you the contact information for the Executive Customer Relations group. We can be reached by email at social.media@nationstarmail.com or you can reach us by telephone at 1.888.509.2432. We are available from 7am to 5pm CST. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. ^Patricia

Original review: June 7, 2017

I have been trying to get a partial release of the mortgage because of a land trade to eliminate an easement. I have been trying to do this for about 1.5 months. My first contact it took me 13 phone calls just to get to someone to try to find out what I need to do. They sent me some paperwork to fill out. I filled it out and sent it in. I email them 2.5 weeks later and received a reply saying it was in process. 3 days later I received another email stating that they have not received any paperwork from me. I emailed them 3 time to find out what was happening. Never received anything back. Called customer assistance. Got a hold of someone and emailed the forms in. She said someone will be in contact with me. No one has from the right department. All I want is someone to help me get through this and no one has been. I have already filed a complaint with BBB and will be emailing Nationstar daily until I get results.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were past clients of Nationstar Mortgage so we decided to see what they had to offer. We were in an ARM and the rate was adjusting every couple of years. What we could do was get it down or we get it more stable. Everything went good during refinancing with Nationstar Mortgage. What was said to us was delivered. They were able to lower the rate even more which helped as it takes some of the pressure. It's a couple hundred a month. They were also very easy to deal with. We've gone through more refi that drawn out and long for no reason but this one went according to schedule.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The servicing of the mortgage I had with HSBC was sold to Nationstar Mortgage. Nationstar called me and they were willing to refinance my old mortgage so we got it done. However, the nature of mortgages and the mortgage business, which led things to occur in a certain way was more complicated for me than what it needed to be. At the moment, there's not a lot of difference between the different options. And I was looking for something that was essentially saving me the most money in the long run. And I'm happy that Nationstar was able to get my refinancing done because other companies were not. It took three points off my interest rate so that was good. It took six years off the mortgage length and had a payment that was about the same. However, I've been trying to reach the sales rep that called me to tell him to call my friend, and he never called me back. I've left him several voice mails and he has never returned my call.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We knew that there was a lower interest rate available for refinancing. We inquired with Nationstar, which we were already using as a mortgage provider, and several others to find out what that was. Refinancing with Nationstar was quick and easy, smooth and professional. We did it via teleconference and online. We got down to the point and got it done. I now have lower monthly payments and it helps.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were coming up on 10 years of owning our house and we had a good credit rating and credit score. We’ve been paying mortgage insurance and I was considering if that was something we could drop now that we had paid so much on the house. And that went to Nationstar scheduling a refinance for us and we went ahead with a new interest rate. Everything was already with them so we didn’t look into other companies. We’re happy with it. During our discussion, they were helpful and courteous. They took time to answer my questions thoroughly. The interaction was great, we got everything figured out and moved forward. The amount we pay per month is the same but we’ve reduced it to a 15-year loan from a 30-year loan. Overall, the experience has been streamlined and straightforward. There isn’t much to it which is good, not much confusion. It’s about as good as dealing with a mortgage company can be.

Nationstar Mortgage

I will escalate this issue for you right away. Please allow me two business days to research your issue. I will reach out to you with an update. Also, if you need contact us we can be reached by phone at 1.888.509.2432 or by email at social.media@nationstarmail.com. We are available for you from 7am to 5pm CST, Monday thru Friday. Thank you. ^Patricia

Original review: June 5, 2017

We have been dealing with Nationstar for over 11 months now when our house flooded on our honeymoon. We finally got our final inspection from Nationstar over 2 months ago and they still will not release the final check. Every time I call, they change their story and say we keep missing paperwork. This has been the worst experience I've ever dealt with. How can you send an inspector out, say the work has been 100% complete and still not release our final check. This cannot be legal.

I refinanced my VA loan through Nationstar and I was very pleased with the whole process. Jason **, my loan processor, did a fantastic job of helping me through the process. He was always available for me whenever I had questions and always kept me in the loop of what was happening. I would recommend Nationstar to anyone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My other mortgage was going to adjust and I wasn’t sure what our company was gonna look like in a couple of months. So I refinanced with Nationstar and they were good. The rate went up a little bit but I was afraid of what it was going to do more. So, it’s still good. The first person I talked to was really good but the second person was really hard to work with. I had to keep going back and forth and say, “That’s not what I agreed to earlier.” There’s a little disconnect between the person setting it all up and the person doing the paperwork. So there’s a lack of communication between the two departments.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Something happened with my escrow account. I was mailed the check and I didn't really understand what it was about so, I cashed it and carried on. Later, it turned out that my Escrow came in to a negative balance and they were going to start charging me on top of the normal regular balance of the payment which was more than I really cared to pay. We scratched around and did some figuring and it turned out that by refinancing, it would help me with the numbers and get my mortgage to where I needed it to be while still being able to repay the deficit on the escrow. Nationstar bought out my mortgage from another company. Everybody there was pretty much top-notch. They had good answers for me which is what I liked about the whole process.

I don't find many people who are laymen, who will call and will go through the Math of the refinance with me. I didn't understand Escrow like a pro would have but they were able to go over the Math versus what the cost was without the escrow, with the Escrow and with the deficit of the escrow. Then, they redid that on the back side of the refinance and showed me how it would cover the escrow as well as the mortgage payment with the refinancing at a lower rate. I'm a numbers kind of guy and I deal with numbers all the time. But it has nothing to do with money and by them being able to do that for me, it became clear that they were looking out for my best interest. They really did a good job and I appreciate them for helping me out with the little bind that I was in. They made my home possible. I would never be able to come up with the $80-$70,000, and just shook it out and buy a house. So, I am very pleased with my mortgage.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The interest rate with Nationstar Mortgage was good and we got to save the first month. It was an easy transaction. But they should go paperless. They always send paper monthly statements and then you have to pay and write checks every month. It’s ridiculous.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar Mortgage took over my existing home loan. They reached out to us suggesting that we could get a lower rate, which was what we were looking for and refinancing was a very smooth process. The reps were very attentive and answered all my questions. Plus, it worked out very well.

Nationstar Mortgage Company Profile