Call toll free
Call toll free
3.92/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

7511 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I decided to consolidate and I already had an experience with Mr. Cooper so they bought my loan out from before. I had fantastic interactions with the representatives and they made the process very smooth. They went through everything and they were right there if I had a question. They were also very professional and easy to deal with. Now, I have peace of mind.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I received a flyer from Mr. Cooper that said I would go for a cash-out refi so they acquired my previous loan from CitMortgage. I've worked in the financial services industry for over 30 days and I cannot be more impressed with Mr. Cooper's staff's friendliness and knowledge from the first to my last phone call. I was also impressed with the process for getting the application documents to them, their responsiveness and timeliness. They were absolutely first-class professionals. I combined the first and second mortgage into one and saved significantly on the interest rate. I was able to do a little bit of cash-out to help finance some college class. So, I benefited tremendously from Mr. Cooper. I would highly recommend their services.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Our son in college and refinancing our old mortgage with Mr. Cooper paid off our debts. They were our mortgage company already and their representative was fantastic. He was very helpful, knowledgeable, thorough, and thoughtful. If you're thinking about Mr. Cooper, go with them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My experience with Mr. Cooper was excellent and I would recommend them. My loan was given to them and it was transferred back to them last year. Since, I already had my loan with them, I hadn’t had any problems with them. I did a refinance and my dealings with their representatives were excellent. Lloyd and Dan were very professional and they have knowledge of what they were talking about. . If I had a question, they answered it. And if I called and I didn’t get them, they would call me back. They told me everything that will take place from the beginning to the end. I was very comfortable working with the rep who gave me different options to look at. I went with the best interest rate. And he did give me different options that I could look at, but I liked the option that he gave me best, the first one. The entire process took 21 days, so it was fast. I got good benefits since refinancing as I have started remodeling my home.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

We were very unhappy with our experiences. We was frustrated the whole time. Contract clearly had closing date. We was force to live in hotels for two week. Furniture on truck. Phone calls not returned. Had to explain every pennies on bank account. Will never use Mr. Cooper again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have had my house for 20 years next month. In that time I've never taken out a second mortgage. I am currently paying nearly double the prime interest rate. After the loss of 3 jobs due to layoff and sales of businesses, I filed bankruptcy 18 years ago and excluded the house. It's been a beast rebuilding my credit. Since this time, my mortgage has been sold or changed to another a number of times. First it was First Tennessee, then it was First Horizon, then Nationstar and now Mr. Cooper. With all that said, I attempted to refinance my house early this year, prompted by a letter from Mr. Cooper encouraging me to do so. My first attempt, they noticed there were a couple of over 30 days that needed to clear then I could try it again. August, they suggested. So August roles around I tried again, well, this time my FICO had dropped a few points which made me not able to do it at this time.

Mr. Cooper's guy advised me to pay off some debt and reach back to them in a couple of months. I dipped into my 401k to pay off/down a few credit cards. I came back and was told, the credit score was still a little high, to wait a little longer. Now I return October 1st, they pull my credit, numbers look good, let's proceed. Ran everything, made it to underwriting, and given a closing date of October 15th. I'm beside myself with excitement. Then... I get a message from Mr. Cooper's guy, need a call ASAP. Seems that FHA doesn't want to back the loan because I have an over 30 day within the last 24 months... 2 years!!! Seriously?

Now, when I say over 30 day, that means (admittedly btw by Mr. Cooper) that a payment is made on the 30th, but doesn't necessarily get processed or applied until the 31st or the 1st, depending on the month of course!! But they have no way of doing anything about that. Oh, need I say this is after they've ordered and received an appraisal on my house for $485 that I am going to be stuck with paying. Seems to me that all the rest should have been done prior to that!! I took off 2 days of vacation to spruce up the house and a half day to be there for the appraiser which returned with the estimate I guessed, then just to be told by Mr. Cooper "Too bad... Can't help you" for the most part.

I mean, Mr. Cooper's girl that I spoke with was so sarcastic and pious describing to me that I could probably get a hardship modification. Seriously. I have 2/3rds available equity in my house and I can't use any of it, because they marked me as paying late when I paid in the month. Oh, I didn't mention that ever since Nationstar took over, they've NOT reported to any of the credit reporting agencies. NOT ONE! Maybe my credit rating would be a bit better if they'd report. Maybe it wouldn't be my word against theirs with 30 day lates.

Oh, they've known about it not showing up. It's been mentioned a number of times by me, but does anyone do anything. NOPE! American Dream is supposed to be home ownership. I call it an American nightmare right now. Now I just want to sell and rent rather than deal with this company. The only reason they have a star checked above is because it wouldn't let me go any further down and still submit a review.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Last June, on a Friday, I made an online mortgage payment and scheduled it for the following Monday. On Monday I checked by bank account and didn't see the payment as pending. Fine, it takes time for the payment to clear. So I went to MrCooper.com to see if the payment was pending. It wasn't. There was no indication I had even made the payment. So I tried again.

The next day I looked at my checking account and saw two mortgage payments to Mr. Cooper. I called the mortgage company and explained what happened, and a friendly associate called my bank. The three of us worked it out. My bank canceled one of the payments and waived the fee, and Mr. Cooper canceled one of payments. So far so good. But a week later I received a letter notifying that owed Mr. Cooper $20 for an NSF fee. I called and got nowhere. I emailed and got nowhere. So I wrote a letter and mailed it. Sometime later Mr. Cooper sent me a letter saying the fee would be waived. That was in July. Last week the $20 fee turned up again. It's from last June. The crack research team is all over it. Just three more business days to go.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We looked at what kind of a position we were in financially and we figured that it was a smart time to take care of some things with the house. We looked at City Bank and we get a lot of mail with regards to refinancing so, we looked at a few but we went with the company that currently holds our mortgage. The interaction with Mr. Cooper’s reps was very smooth and they were very quick and thorough. Once they started to talk to me, I realized that it was the right company to go with. I could tell the person that I had spoken with has done it before so, they just led me down the path of what we needed to do.

Since refinancing with Mr. Cooper, we had work done on the wall and we got a washer and dryer. There were some other things that we were doing to pick up the house. There are also a few other things that we have been considering such as a second place or getting a condo closer to our daughter and I would probably go with Mr. Cooper to pick up a second mortgage, if ever we're gonna go that route. It was a good experience and I would recommend them. It’s a very easy organization to deal with and they were very transparent with everything.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was wanting some money to do some home repairs and Mr. Cooper bought out the loan I had with CitiMortgage. The representatives were very good and they walked me through everything, so I was very pleased with them. I call one of their guys quite frequently, and then we send emails back and forth to each other. We stayed in touch. He knew everything I had to do, and I pretty much had everything together before it went to the final step. Refinancing my loan with Mr. Cooper has helped me in getting some repairs done to my house. I'd highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Mr. Cooper owns my loan since three years ago. I wanted to consolidate on debt that I had. They told me my options and we picked the one that we liked the best. The agent that was helping me, was always calling me and letting me know what was going on every time. When things were getting a little behind, she would call me and let me know about everything. Mr. Cooper is a great company and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have a current loan through USAA that gets serviced by Nationstar DBA Mr. Cooper. I have had to call into the customer service number several times over the last 6 months. While their reps seem to be very helpful and courteous over the phone, nothing in the background ever gets done correctly. After my divorce, I've requested to have the ex removed from my loan via assumption or release of liability. I've sent in repeated paperwork to have this done, called in, told that everything is as it should be and he is off the loan, just to find out later that he's still on there. I call back, they say they don't see my paperwork...so...I do it all over again. Call back when nothing has materialized, hear again over the phone that everything is fine, then I get a paper from USAA saying they still need the paperwork to process the request.

The left hand does NOT know what the right is doing. THEN, I pay for my mortgage over the phone, they took it out of the wrong checking account from USAA and charged me a late fee. USAA sees the error and sends a note to remove it from the Nationstar side. Nationstar over the phone says - we apologize, it'll be off later today. Fast forward two months of this late fee being on here still month after month. I'm BEYOND frustrated that USAA chose this company to deal with. I have literally spent about 5-6 hours total calling in, waiting on hold, being on three-way with USAA and Nationstar to resolve the issues and I have YET to have them done after all this wasted time! If it wasn't for the rate I got 5 years ago, I would be more than DONE with them both and go elsewhere.

I am unable to locate the account number associated with the property
Please contact me to discuss your concerns. You can reach me by dialing 1.888.509.2432.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

They changed their name from Nationstar to Mr. Cooper (a ridiculous name)? Google Nationstar and you will see part of the reason they changed their name and the rest of the reason to use Mr. Cooper's name is to make you think you are dealing with a person who cares. It takes more than a name change... It takes actual service by employees who actually care. I have yet to find that. I have been calling them since July 2018 and it is now October 2018 and nothing has been resolved. They don't do the research they say they are going to do, they don't return phone calls, my loan is now in default, thru no fault of mine. They do not have accurate records of debits and credits.

For the past several months they have shown 3 credits on my account and 2 debits each month for the past several months, with no explanation. They have shown triple payments applying one payment to principal only and one payment to the loan due. My loan was transferred from Citi, where I had no problems, was on autopay so payments were not late. My last conversation was with a supervisor, Robert who assured me that he understood what the problem was, he would get back to me on Monday. I called him every day of that week, he returned my call on Thursday at 4:55 and according to his schedule that he gave me he was off on Thursday at 5. I called him again on Friday. An entire week, again, with nothing done. This, of course, will affect my credit. They care??? Of course they do, they changed their name to Mr. Cooper. This has been a very frustrating experience.

Mr. Cooper response
I have located the account number associated with the property and will begin my research immediately.
I will reach out to you within 5 business days with the results and resolution to your concern.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach me by dialing 1.888.509.2432.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I had a prior loan modification with Nationstar Mortgage in which my payment was under $870.00 a month. After 1 1/2 years, the escrow department ran their "tax analysis" and calculated only half of my taxes, claiming that my taxes increased by over $1600.00 a year. In actuality, they only increased by $353.00. In addition, the escrow department claimed that I was short and that my new payment would be over $1100.00 a month. I returned to work from a layoff and had to take a substantial pay cut just to get working again. If I could afford a high monthly mortgage payment, I wouldn't have needed a loan modification in the first place!

Enter Mr. Cooper, as I had went through this ordeal with the incompetent staff at Nationstar, explaining their error for over a year, Mr. Cooper was no better and did nothing to correct their wrong. I once again entered into a loan modification and the dedicated loan specialist served no purpose as she never called, nor informed me of the status my modification. Mr. Cooper kept asking for documentation a piece at a time instead of stating that all was needed at once. I was informed do not send in payment until the modification was complete by one party, then advised by another to submit payment when the modification could not be completed within 2 weeks.

As I went online to make a payment I was not able to do such. In calling, no one could advise me as to why the screen was blanked out. It is my belief that Mr. Cooper is procrastinating in this process in order to foreclose on my home and waiting until the last minute to spring this information on me. Why else would they keep asking for trivial information for over a month on information that I never had to provide before? They may change their name, but they can't change their unscrupulous business practices that has Nationstar written all over it!! If I could I would have not given ANY STARS!!!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Mortgage Refinance - Staff showed no concern for questions raised during the process and only moved the process along to suit their own agenda. After the initial conversation when they were trying to lure my business, they were only concerned about doing things their way -- even when it was proven to them that their way was incorrect.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Mr. Cooper bought my loan from CitiMortgage. They sent me a notice saying that I'm qualified for a refinance and asked if I wanted to take advantage of it. Their reps were all very professional. They gave me some numbers and I said, “That’s good, we’ll go for it.” but when we got transferred to somebody else there was some issue with some numbers. I called back my mortgage guy and he said, “We’ll take care of that.” and within a few days of that contact, everything went through like it’s supposed to. The refinance process was straightforward. It was done about a month and a day which was at the timeframe that I needed it done. Since I started refinancing my loan with them, I've experienced lower payment.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Mr. Cooper is absolutely great. They bought our loan on our house and everything was great. At that time, our house got damaged from the high winds and so I had to deal with the insurance company and make sure everything was fine with Mr. Cooper. Since refinancing with them, we don’t have to pay out $1,000 every month on our credit card. Our payment was upped just a little bit with Mr. Cooper, but I can handle that. Their guidance was great and their reps were fine. We were very satisfied. Mr. Cooper is trustworthy, and I don’t feel like I’ve been taken for granted.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Mortgage payments have been made as required, and the statements they've been sending reflects this. My attorney has all my payment history and records as well. Then all of a sudden, Mr. Cooper sends me a statement showing I am a month delinquent beginning Sep 2018. When I made my payment in Sep, I asked about the so-called, "delinquency" and the representative stated it was a timing-issue; that is, the statement was supposedly sent out before my payment was made. This of course was not true since the statement was dated 20 September, but the payment was done via telephone on 10 Sep. Anyways, she assured me it was not an issue. Then today, 4 Oct 2018, I receive a new statement from Mr. Cooper and it was still showing a month behind. So I again questioned the error with a lady named Kimberly (assuming that was even her real name) from Arizona in the bankruptcy department.

Kimberly claims I have not been "caught up" since 2016 when they purchased my mortgage from Bank of America. I of course informed her that this is an error. While it was true that I fell a month behind during the loan-transition from BoA to Nationstar (due to neither department wanting to accept payment), I made every effort to get caught up on my mortgage, and that I did having made 2 large payments. Then in 2017 I was taken to court where I had to pay a month plus attorney fees, and that I did, which was completed in April 2018. And all has been great since then. That is until Sept 2018 when I see that they are at it again. I am very familiar with what Mr. Cooper (aka Nationstar) is up to.

I know they want my house so that they can liquidate the asset in a short sell, make a quick buck, and stiff me with the balance; this won't happen of course. I asked Kimberly how she can explain all Aug and prior statements not reflecting a delinquency. Her answer was a glitch was in the system, and that the system used for statements is not the same as the system SHE uses. That of course is not my problem, and is a clear sign that she is lying through her teeth. My attorney has been contacted, and this will not be the end of it. Seems Nationstar (aka Mr. Cooper) continues to illegally steal peoples homes. But thankfully I am quite knowledgeable of their tactics. I have the statements to prove I am right, and I have a complete history of my mortgage payments WITH confirmation numbers. This might turn out to be fun after all...Fannie Mae (aka Nationstar) is not going to get away with another home theft.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Our loan was transferred to Mr. Cooper last year then we refinanced as we wanted to redo the house and our payment changed. We had few issues though during the refinancing as the numbers were wrong and I had to point things out to the mortgage professional. He fixed it the first time then it went to approval and to loan and I let him know again that the numbers halfway through were fine. Then, they were not matching anymore. He blamed the underwriter for not putting the numbers correctly and said that he fixed it. I emailed him right after I got it and told him that two of them were still wrong.

It was an easy fix and I did not understand why they couldn't fix it. Everything on the credit port gave them the numbers that it should've been. But they took certain numbers from other amounts and put them on the wrong places and left them. I spent half an hour on the phone once pointing out every number where it belongs. It was right on the credit report and they just had to look at the report and transfer the numbers into the correct spot. I didn't want to mess around with it anymore so, we ended up closing the loan. It was too much money on two payments and I'm waiting to be refunded of $1,400 from one company and $407 from the other company. Because of what we went through, we wouldn’t tell anybody to use Mr. Cooper.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Ms Sandy ** has been very helpful, courteous and simply wonderful to work with, understanding me, and very patient with me. Please reward her with many kudos. Thank you. PS... I highly recommend her when dealing with mortgages or housing. If I were hiring someone for a position of grest customer service, Sandy would be my first choice.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We started the refinancing process in around late August-early September. We provided all of our info promptly. No matter what we have Shane **, he asked for more. Sometimes he asked for duplicate info and kept pulling GAP credit reports almost daily. We were told we would close middle of September by Brandon **. And then it was October 3rd. Shane again pulled a credit report and then denied our loan. DENIED. We have an immaculate record for paying mortgages, utilities, car notes, cell phone bills on time without EVER missing ONE payment. My husband started a new job making $5 more an hour and yet they STILL DENIED. This company is a JOKE! They will constantly ask for more and more and more until you no longer want to deal with them. This was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I will never use them again. Please take your time, money and energy to a company who really wants to help. This place doesn’t care about its customers.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Mr. Cooper took over my CitiMortgage account, and then I worked with them on a refinance. Dealing with their reps went great and they provided a lot of information. Whenever I had questions, they were available to answer. Nadia was able to walk me through whenever I was confused about something. She was able to explain or tell me exactly what I need. She worked with me really well. Though the application and underwriting was a long, stressful process, everybody involved was very patient and was working with me to get everything. It was a really good experience. We still have about 23 years left on the old mortgage, and it's gonna feel good to get that accelerated now and have it done in 15 years. Also, we were paying a lot of interest charges for a credit card and with another home equity loan that we need to pay off. So just having those paid off is gonna save us money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

One of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had, my loan processor keeps being replaced from person to person, there is no hand-off internally and it is like starting the process all over again every time. So far there have been three different people acting as loan processors and there is still no progress. When calling the loan processors, most likely you will get their voicemail telling you to call their manager if you do not hear back within 24 hours. Well the manager never gets back to you either and the number for the "manager's manager" does not work or appears to be disconnected. They all keep blaming their underwriting division for all delays. I believe this is just a way to charge additional money every time they miss the deadline for the rate lock. This loan should have been closed weeks ago.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I needed to pay off some high credit cards. I refinanced with Mr. Cooper and it was a very good experience with their reps. They walked me through everything really good and they explained everything really well. Since refinancing, I have more money at my disposal.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Every employee was extremely helpful. Made the refinance enjoyable. Thank you. I would recommend Mr Cooper to anyone for home loans or refinance. They were timely on getting all information that was needed emailed to me. Was a great experience.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Mr. Cooper took over our mortgage company from CitiMortgage. We had a over $9K in our escrow account with CitiMortgage and when Mr. Cooper took over they reimbursed us the amount so it was used to pay large credit card bills. Our Mortgage payment was always paid within the grace period. Just received a notice yesterday that we are $9K short for escrow. We have until Nov. 1 to pay the shortage and if we don't our mortgage payment will have an increase of $1,700. They give you 1 month to try and come up with the money. There would be no possible way we could afford the new mortgage payment. I absolutely thought I would never have to worry about losing our house but now I can say that I am.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Mr. Cooper had the low interest rate that we were looking for. It wasn't as low as we wanted though. Our interactions with their reps were totally perfect, but we were about to close and they said that we can't close. We had to wait another whole month. They should've known about the rules. It worked out fine though and we didn't have to pay for the house for two months. We're very satisfied with Mr. Cooper.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Most people only care about the interest rate. Hey, I'm like that too. But keep in mind that if you run into problems, Mr. Cooper can be a pain to deal with. We had a substantial loss due to water damage. Mr. Cooper insisted that that insurance check go to them and that they would dole out the funds. Probably they wanted to be sure the money was spent fixing the house and not taken by us for a lavish vacation or something.

The problem we ran into: We paid our contractor money as a deposit. We also bought materials. Mr. Cooper insisted on putting the contractor's name on every check and wanted receipts for everything. Our contractor did not want his name on the check--that was between us and the insurance company. He didn't want confusing records that could trigger tax problems. He didn't want to go with us to the bank each time to co-sign so we could deposit the money (we have 2 bank accounts and both banks insisted such a check would need to be signed in the presence of a teller).

Eventually we just paid off the loan. We were told that since Mr. Cooper no longer had any claim on the house, our insurance money would be returned to us right away. That was not correct. Once we paid off the loan we were told the insurance money was considered part of the "overage" for our payoff. It would take about 20 business days (about a month) to get paid.

We had emptied our bank acct to pay off the loan, we had paid big sums up front for materials and labor and now they wanted to hold our money even though the insurance money was ours. They did not stand behind the employees who had promised us our money would be returned promptly. I have no problems with the mechanics of the loan. As long as you pay them on time, there's no problem (why would there be?). But if you stray off that path into some other situation, beware!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Overall very satisfied with the loan re-finance process. The individual assigned to my re-fi was very responsive and available, until the loan was completed. There was subsequent confusion concerning the inclusion of Home Insurance premiums in the escrow account. The insurance company billed me directly advising that the mortgage company advised them it was my responsibility. I attempted to contact the individual who was assigned during the approval process and never received any response. I finally just paid the premium to the insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We had a Mr.Cooper mortgage on our previous home. One thing that stood out to me was that they did not sell your loan, they continued to service it themselves. Our new mortgage process was very smooth, almost perfect. From the pre-approval all the way through closing, they were there to support us every step of the way. Jerry provided great customer service simplifying and explaining each step of the process. Kept us in the loop with emails regarding all important updates and checked on us with phone calls periodically to make sure that we understood the process. I would recommend giving Mr. Cooper a try with your nest mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Mr. Cooper had purchased/acquired our mortgage, so when we decided we were interested in making a move we reached out to them to see if we could get pre-qualified for a new home loan. Everything went very smoothly from pre-qual through offer acceptance, through closing and after. We are happy with the service we received and the continuous updates and contact/follow up to keep the process on track.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information