Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to lower my interest and payments and the reps at Nationstar were very efficient and pleasant during the refinancing. They had the information that I requested at their fingertips. I got a lowered interest and a lowered payment, and they didn't have to come in and check the current value of the home. The two gentlemen who I dealt with over the phone and the internet were terrific and the young lady who was with the title company that Nationstar used was also fantastic.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The rep I spoke to was awesome. If I ever had to leave her a voicemail, she got back to me within the hour. Any questions my husband or I had throughout the process, she would call anytime and was very knowledgeable about where she does the whole process. If she didn’t know, she made the correct calls. She knew what her resources were. The overall experience was awesome. I would definitely do it again with Nationstar.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to refinance to lower interest rate. I went with Nationstar since there was no appraisal. The process was really simple and I recommend them. There’d never been any trouble with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar was my mortgage holder. I wanted a lower payment and they had several options for me to pick from and so I refinanced with them. I didn’t have to wonder about what was happening for they told me everything that I needed to know and they seemed to be knowledgeable. They gave me some good advice and were able to explain what they were. I felt comfortable that they had the option that I needed to pick. They helped me with budgeting and gave me a little bit of breathing room.

Super helpful. Of course you can't refinance without filling out a bunch of stuff but the people I worked with made it easy and they were patient with me. Thank you Nationstar for helping me make my mortgage more affordable.

Nationstar Mortgage

Hello Blanche, we see that you have been speaking with a member of our Executive Customer Relations team within the last couple days. She will be contacting you shortly with a response to your inquiry in regards to your escrow surplus check. Thank you. ^Kalie

Original review: May 17, 2017

I have been trying to get my escrow surplus check for months and they keep giving me excuses! I was told in February that I would get it when my account was current. My account was current in March although it didn't update online so I asked and they said it would update April 1st (which it did). I have been told repeatedly - on at least six occasions - that the check was processing, needed to be released, somebody forgot to put in the request to have it released and I would have it in seven days. When I didn't get it in seven days I called back and was told it would be mailed on May 8th.

As of May 17th I still don't have the check and now I'm being told that it was never there, the surplus expired on April 1st, and they're not going to send it to me because they're going to use it. I've asked to see where the funds are and no one could show me so then they said the funds were never taken out. I have spent HOURS on the phone trying to get a straight answer, have contacted the company via FB messenger, have waited for someone to call me back, and have called the number one of the reps gave me which no one answered. I have asked for the number to the corporate office to get this escalated and/or the email address to corporate. How is it they tell me repeatedly that the funds will be disbursed to me and then they decide they never existed and then they say they're going to use them! What is the deal with this company!?

Nationstar Mortgage

Good morning, I am part of the Executive Customer Relations team and we are here to help! I understand you are having some issue reaching your Single Point of Contact and I would like to give you the number to my team so that we may escalate this for you. Please call 1.888.509.2432. We look forward to speaking with you so that we may get this rectified for you. Thank you. ^Kalie

Original review: May 15, 2017

I have been in the process of a loan modification and submitted all my paper works, trying to reach out to a single person who can provide status but after trying for almost 2 weeks and leaving numerous messages no luck. Keep getting hung up on by the overseas customer service rep who doesn't even understand the severity of the issue and no one onshore will pick up the phone or will call back.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar Mortgage bought my mortgage. Financial-wise, it made sense to refinance with them. I was looking on lowering my payment as a result of it. Their professionals were very good, helpful and did their job. All around, all my experience are good with them. I'm a real estate agent so I don't need much explanation. It went smooth and everything was good.

Jason ** and Justine ** were very responsive and very helpful in refinancing my house, they helped me every step of the way. They explained every time they needed something from me in detail, so I would know the reasoning for it. I highly recommend the both of them. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationstar Mortgage?

I closed a refinance loan with this company. I worked with Eddie and Cindy and thought they were both awesome They were there every step of the way. They were very professional and made my experience very good. Anytime I had a question or concern if they were not able to answer direct they would call me back usually within a few minutes. I couldn't ask for anything more than what they did for me. I closed without a hitch and my whole experience was awesome. I would recommend Nationstar for anyone looking to buy or refinance. I would give my experience a ten and if I ever need to buy or refinance in the future I will return to Nationstar.

Nationstar Mortgage

J C we are here to help. I can quickly put a cease and desist order on your account to stop all calls. Unfortunately I am unable to complete this process without some account information. I am part of the Executive Customer Relations group and we are available for you Monday to Friday 7 am through 5 pm. Call 1.888.509.2432. If you prefer to contact us by email please write to Social.Media@nationstarmail.com. We would appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your issue or concern. Thank you. ^Kalie

Original review: May 10, 2017

This company has been nothing but downright abusive, uncooperative, refuses to return calls, stalks my family without stating anything other than, "Get so and so on the phone now" (recorded). I don't know what kind of unethical and disgusting behavior you THINK is going to help you... but not that that's for sure. Funny you demand money and you demand it NOW but hey... money doesn't grow on a tree and your unwillingness to even return calls is just sad. How do expect anyone to care if you don't? You are a shady, corrupt, abusive company and believe me I see the lawsuits against you. Make any further threats towards myself or my family... so help you, you WILL HAVE ANOTHER COURT ISSUE!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve had a loan with Nationstar for a long time and refinanced with them so I'd get a little lower interest rate. That makes things a little bit simpler. The only problem I had was in the closing. My wife had nothing to do with the loan and the price was in my name totally. But my wife had to sign off on the loan because of some idiotic thing they had going on over there. The lawyers were applying South Carolina laws which are different from Georgia's. The attorney that handled it here in Georgia knew that it wasn’t right but he did it anyway. I don’t mind my wife signing but it was a glitch and shouldn’t have ever happened. But we went ahead and closed the loan because I didn’t wanna have to go back through another ordeal with it. But overall, the Nationstar folks were great and did fine.

From day 1, Daniel ** made the whole process so easy and simple to follow. And at no time l was able to close up, thanks also to Monike ** she was all time in touch making sure that everything was all right... thanks so much for all your help.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It all went like it was supposed to with Nationstar. I was already with them and I just refinanced with them. When the refinancing options were being discussed, they were polite and knowledgeable. The process went very smoothly and quickly and they left me numbers so I could call if I had any questions. They went over all the details with me. I know a bad experience versus a good one, especially that I had used a different company before to refinance, and this experience with Nationstar was a good one.

I would like to recommend Mr. Eddie **, and Mr. Brandon ** for their professionalism in the handling of the refinance of my mortgage. From start to finish they kept on top of the process in a very efficient manner working as a team. Please reward these 2 gentlemen for the fine work ethics they provide for Nationstar Mortgage Co.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a mortgage with somebody else and it got sold to Nationstar. During the refinancing, it was awesome interacting with their staff. The guidance that I received from them was excellent. It was a quick and easy experience, and they gave good customer service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I took my chance in streamline refinance and it was awesome. I had just set up with Nationstar and never had any problems with it. Then I had financed with them for about two years and then I refinanced it for three years. It slices off and took 10 years off of my mortgage payment, so win-win. Their guidance during my refinance has been easy, streamlined greatness.

I just finished my home mortgage refinance. With the help of Suzanne ** and Jonathan **, the whole process goes so smooth and fast. I faced a lot of challenges but they were all solved very successfully. Very good experience with this company and this awesome team!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar took over my mortgage a few years ago. I inquired through their website and they contacted me and things went pretty quickly. My first payment was on the 1st of April but the interest wasn't as low as I wanted. Other than that, the guidance I received was good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was a wonderful experience with Nationstar Mortgage. They were my current mortgage holder and it was easier to stay with them. But they used to have very bad reviews. I researched them and it was horrible. They were a predatory company. Then we thought about going with Wells Fargo. However, in recent readings, I’m not seeing as much negativity with Nationstar. They have better reviews now.

My interactions with their reps were all wonderful. They were very helpful and constantly in touch with me which I appreciated. First, I had the recruiter then he turned me over to the girl that handled it. I got to look forward to her phone calls. When I’d pick up the phone and call them, there would be an answer. They seemed knowledgeable but if they didn't have a question answered, they still followed up. They confirmed the answer and then reported back to me.

I got a lower mortgage now. By switching from the 30-year to a 15, I’ve given myself the flexibility, with taking the money I’ve saved, with lower interest rates, to apply even more to the principal. Our payment dropped to $350 a month and the percentage points went down, too. I was at 5 point something and now, I’m at 3 point something. I only owed a little over $70,000 on the home. But to me, it was worth it. And I’ve been paying extra every month as well. It's not possible to get a 30-year program that far in 12 years without paying $400 extra a month. And we'll continue to overpay.

I'm already retired, my husband retires in 9 years, if not sooner, and we want it paid off. We don’t want a house payment when my husband retires, even if it is only $748 a month. Compared with most people in America, we’re sitting easily. Around here, people’s house payment is at least $2000 a month and I don’t know how one lives like that. But I’m really pleased with Nationstar. It was a very painless experience and was golden all the way through.

Eddie did a great job helping my husband and I with a refinance to lower the term and interest rate of our home loan. He did a great job of telling us options available to us and how each option would affect rate and monthly payment of our refinance. Eddie kept in close contact with us updating us on the status of the refinance. Thanks to Eddie and Nationstar!!

Nationstar Mortgage

Good morning, hope you are well. Thank you for giving such great details into the issue. Can you please verify the name and zip code associated with the account so that I may be sure which account I am to review. You can email us at Social.Media@nationstarmail.com. I will be more than happy to look into your account for you. I look forward to speaking with you. ^Kalie

Original review: May 3, 2017

In 2012 my household had a major financial crisis and we couldn't pay the mortgage fully each month but we sent partial payments and tried hard to stay afloat. By September 2014 we knew we couldn't catch up so we called Nationstar to see what we could do. They said we were too far behind to refinance and our only options were to find the money to bring the account current, go into foreclosure, or do a deed in lieu. We decided to do a deed in lieu and we're told the process usually takes between 45 and 90 days. We received initial paperwork and were told that we needed an inspection and to be in the process of moving out by the end of October. We did all of those things and then silence from nationstar, we would call and leave messages and they would never get returned.

In December we finally had someone talk to us, a different person than we started with though because nationstar employees apparently switch jobs every two months. This person told us that they didn't see that our deed in lieu had even been started so we did things again and then silence again. Fast forward to July 2015 we are on our 4th!! person handling our case when they tell us that our case hadn't moved forward because we hadn't surrendered the keys to signify we were completely out of the house. So three people didn't bother to tell us that but then things started moving. We actually got paperwork to finish the process, we got the paperwork on August 25, we signed everything and sent it back the next day. We were told that we were done. That our deed in lieu was finished, we were dumb enough to take them at their word. That was the end of August 2015.

In March 2017 we got a nationstar bill that said we owed over $20,000 in payments. Since then we found out that nationstar never actually filed the deed in lieu and they have told us that we have to refile everything and start over. When will it end nationstar? When will you actually do your job and stop just dragging us around?

Nationstar Mortgage

Good morning, Maddie. I have located your account based on the information you have provided as part of your submission to Consumer Affairs. Please allow me one business day to review your account. I will reach out to you with an update as soon as it is available. Thank you. ^ Kalie

Original review: May 3, 2017

I was looking over our bank account information to be sure things were all good. That's when I noticed that our mortgage went from 572 to 828 dollars! We had not been notified of any change in our mortgage rates and Nationstar has been totally helpless in explaining to us why it went up so much. Basically, from the website, it appears that our escrow payment has increased (I have no idea why though). And apparently we have a shortage, so they tacked on another amount to our bill.

Now we are asked to pay more than our original mortgage payment when we first bought our house ($750). Our mortgage went down to $572 when Chase Morgan realized we were paying too much escrow. Now, Nationstar is charging us almost $300 more because we don't have enough in escrow. What the heck?! And the fact that we were not notified in any way of this, our checking account was almost withdrawn – we weren't planning on an extra $300 to be taken out this month! When contacting NS, I was told I couldn't talk to them because my name is not on the account – it's under my husband's name. And even though I was able to provide them with all of my husband's information, they still said no. They were awful to deal with and I had to keep asking the rep to repeat herself because I couldn't understand her accent. Ugh. This is a ridiculous company and I don't understand how JP Chase Morgan could sell us to them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When it came time to get a mortgage, Nationstar were the first people I started working with. They called me for months telling me that I should refinance, so I eventually sat down and did it. The refinance was all done over the phone and I haven't had any problems. Everything went smooth and it was good as to be expected. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I knew I needed to refinance before rates went up. And there was plenty of mail to that effect, direct flyers and the direct mail. But my mortgage was already with Nationstar so I went with them. They also had a significantly lower monthly payment. I spoke with two ladies out of California and they were excellent. I pretty much knew what I wanted to do but I had just lost my job so I wasn't sure we could even do it. But they were helpful in making that happen. They seemed to care and had good communication. Refinancing with Nationstar has been very efficient and professional. It didn't really require much on my part at all.

Nationstar Mortgage

Marie, I have located your account based on the information provided in this submission. I will begin my research right away. I will contact you as soon as I have an update for you. Thank you -KE

Original review: May 1, 2017

Mishandling of insurance fund??? Mistreating customers. I bought my house in '09. I was originally with BOA, they sold the loan to Nationstar. Since Nationstar took over the loan it is been problem after problems, some are just gross incompetence. For example, one year they neglected to pay my homeowner insurance, while the money is sitting in escrow. Another year, they miscalculated the escrow. Resulted in me owing nearly 7,500. And it was me who found the error! MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THEM NOW. I HAD WATER DAMAGE TO MY HOME, THEY ARE NOT RELEASING THE FUNDS FOR THE NECESSARY REPAIRS. They seemed to have clear guidelines of what needs to be done for them to release the funds and I have followed all of their guidelines.

When I call to inquire as to why they have not released the funds? They suddenly have a different set of rules that is not written anywhere that require them to sent me (the customer) $1,500 out of $46,000 to replace kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, dining room, living room, and family room! They initially specified that 25% of the fund would release at the onset of the renovation, 25% midway, 25% when 75% is complete and the rest once 90% is complete, THEY HAVE NOT HONOR THEIR END. When I called they ask to provide receipts to prove that I have spent money to initiate the renovation project. I did $11,000 plus worth of receipt from Home Depot and Lowe's.

I called to inquire about the delay. They said that they needed an inspection. I had them sent their inspector, which further delayed renovation project. They have not send any money. Last I heard they were going to send us another $2,500, while the whole project is budgeted for $52,000. In the meantime we (my family and I) have been living in a hotel room, eating out and basically struggling to survive, while these people are playing games with us. WE ARE STRESSED TO THE MAX, UNSURE HOW TO PROCEED. I wish someone would intervene on our behalf!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everything's good with Nationstar Mortgage. They have my account already and it is really easy for me to deal with the people that I have been dealing with. We have owned this house for 11 years and it is on a 30-year mortgage. We decided to go ahead and refinance for 15 years and were able to get the same rate which knocked off four years of the existing loan. Nationstar's reps are very informative from the get-go and we have a good discussion with them. They sold me really quick. When I ask for information, it is easily provided and they follow up by mail, too. Everything that they told me played out. It is a very informative and professional experience. I'd certainly recommend them.

My mortgage was sold to Nationstar by HSBC. I attempted to refinance and found Nationstar to be completely incompetent and dishonest. From day one, I informed Daniel ** in writing that my attorney would be handling the closing and the title work. I have excellent legal insurance through my employer which covers these fees at no cost to me. I provided the initial paperwork immediately to Daniel, and then continued to receive full page emails from Daniel's manager in bold red font saying that I needed to provide the requested documents ASAP or I would lose my rate lock. I would call Daniel and ask what was needed and he said that I had provided everything they required. That the red emails were just standard procedure. WHAT???

I was assigned to a closer, Jonathan **, from which the nightmare truly began. Jonathan ignored me and had the title work completed without deference to my attorney. When I refused to pay for it and insisted my attorney would in fact handle it, they attempted to charge me for rate lock extensions. They constantly harassed me to contact my attorney for paperwork they ALREADY HAD in their possession and still tried to charge me for additional rate lock extensions. In the end, after I had contacted the title company directly and hounded my attorney they both provided dated emails proving that Nationstar had been sent the required documents weeks earlier. At which point I refused to pay for any of the rate lock extensions and Nationstar agreed to waive them.

Buffalo Title company at the behest of my attorney, completed the title work and is a subsidiary of and fully insured by Chicago title. Chicago title is a company which Nationstar frequently does business with. All of the title documentation was provided on Chicago title letterhead. Buffalo Title was mentioned as creating the documents. However, Nationstar chose to deny the title work saying Buffalo title was not covered with E&O insurance, even though Nationstar was provided with additional documentation proving that Buffalo Title was in fact covered by Chicago title's insurance.

End result was Nationstar threatening to cancel the refinance unless I paid them over a thousand dollars for the initial title work that they had completed against my specific directive. I believe they did this intentionally to attempt to recoup the money spent on their title search. I refused and cancelled the refinance. What a nightmare!! I will refinance with another company, if for no other reason than to pull my mortgage out from under such an incompetent, deceitful, and dishonest institution.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar has been good to me. Their professionals were very courteous to me and gave me good guidance. They lowered my rate and they dropped my payment a hundred dollars. I also had some late fees which they included in finance. So now, I'm caught up which was good. We did it over the computer and they walked me through it per layer. I didn't have to go through the loan and then, a lady came to my house for signing and she was very polite. Right now, I am giving them $10.75. I don't think I'll ever pay for the house when I'm going to live 'til I die and I'm not going to even worry about that. I know I've got to have some way to live. Everything we did went very well and I was blessed for them to do it like that.

Nationstar Mortgage

Hello Kammy. Please allow me the opportunity to look into this for you. I have located your account based on the information you have provided here. I will reach out to you by Wednesday at the very latest with an update. ^Kalie

Original review: April 27, 2017

I have always disliked this company from the moment they purchased my mortgage! After flooding in August 2016 I know just how horrible this company and employees are! We have had to beg and jump through hoops to get our insurance money to rebuild our home. When we finally think the end is in sight and request our 90% inspection we see just how awful and uncaring and corrupt they are!!! We passed our 90% inspection, we were 96%. When they received the results of the inspection they changed it to 90%, which still meets the set 90%. They are refusing to give us our remaining funds saying baseboards are not up. The baseboards were here and fixing to go up. I have called three times and each time I get told they will request funds be released and call me back, no phone call or funds! You ask to speak to supervisor and are put on hold for no less than 30 minutes only to be told one will call you back, never happens!

How do you rebuild your house back to 100% without all of your insurance money, our money not Nationstar's. We pay those premiums! We have had to use our savings and paychecks in between getting them to release money. They still expect your mortgage note every month even though they are keeping you from being able to live in your home. They make sure and let you know if your late are behind that they will be keeping your money from you. Dealing with these heartless people has been almost worse than the flood itself! Everyone of their employees need a lesson on compassion!!! As soon as this nightmare is over we will be refinancing.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My original mortgage was taken over by Nationstar. I called them to refinance then I got a hold of one guy who was my main point of contact and then switched to somebody else. We did it all through email. It’s easy and it went super quick. I could’ve gotten a better rate had I shopped around but the gentleman talked me out of it saying that it becomes different then I get the closing costs. It put me off but I still knocked 2 and a half points off my interest rate. My rates are lower and I knocked years off my mortgage too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My refinance with Nationstar was handled very quickly. The professionals were outstanding and they did exactly what they told me they were going to do and it happened right on schedule. However, on one of my houses, I made the first payment on the loan but they couldn't figure out where to apply it so they put it in suspense. But I made all the rest of the payments on time and then we went to do this refi. They told me I was delinquent but after investigating it, they figured out they were the ones delinquent, not me. They corrected it, but it was about a four-week period. The young rep made it work in the customer service department and she's outstanding. In fact, I've written a couple of emails about her service.

Nationstar also bought the loan on my second house. At that point in time, I was in bankruptcy but I made the payments. They changed the payment because of escrow but did not notify me. So, I made about 12 more payments short $31, and they declared me delinquent every month for that period of time. So, we had an interesting conversation and again, the young rep figured out a way to get it fixed. But, in a day of servicing the loan, I'm not very impressed with them. Also to date, they have rectified both of the other situations but my credit hasn't been completely cleaned up yet. It's being worked on.

They're also obnoxious. My mortgage payments are paid out of a bill payer and they're paid every month. They have been for the last 18 months but I get about three calls between the first of the month and the ninth of the month of when I pay wanting to know why I haven't made my payments yet. If you look at my payment history, it tells you exactly what day and how I pay. Harassing me is of no value other than it makes me madder than hell. And their customer service agents get the brunt of my deal when they call me for the third time wanting to know where my payment is. I haven't missed a mortgage payment for 30 years and the only reason they thought I was delinquent was due to their accounting errors.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The refi process I'd gone through with Nationstar went very smoothly. They were very helpful, prompt and I didn't have to wait for anything. My experience was great and everything was perfect.

Paul ** and Chris ** were great to work with. Very professional and accurate. The entire process from start to finish was exceptional. If you need a refi and want to have a good experience, go through these guys. Out of all the mortgage companies out there, this organization is top.

Nationstar Mortgage Company Profile