Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to lower my interest and payments and the reps at Nationstar were very efficient and pleasant during the refinancing. They had the information that I requested at their fingertips. I got a lowered interest and a lowered payment, and they didn't have to come in and check the current value of the home. The two gentlemen who I dealt with over the phone and the internet were terrific and the young lady who was with the title company that Nationstar used was also fantastic.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The rep I spoke to was awesome. If I ever had to leave her a voicemail, she got back to me within the hour. Any questions my husband or I had throughout the process, she would call anytime and was very knowledgeable about where she does the whole process. If she didn’t know, she made the correct calls. She knew what her resources were. The overall experience was awesome. I would definitely do it again with Nationstar.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to refinance to lower interest rate. I went with Nationstar since there was no appraisal. The process was really simple and I recommend them. There’d never been any trouble with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar was my mortgage holder. I wanted a lower payment and they had several options for me to pick from and so I refinanced with them. I didn’t have to wonder about what was happening for they told me everything that I needed to know and they seemed to be knowledgeable. They gave me some good advice and were able to explain what they were. I felt comfortable that they had the option that I needed to pick. They helped me with budgeting and gave me a little bit of breathing room.

I would like very much to thank Christopher ** and Toy ** for their help. They were very helpful and always there when I asked a question. Thank you both again. It was actually a pleasure. I would definitely recommend a friend. I was never uncomfortable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationstar Mortgage?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar has been my mortgage provider for the last 10 years. My interactions with their representatives were great and the guidance they have given me was good. They had a lot of communication and were easy to deal with. They gave me different loans that were available to me and let me choose the best one. The representative laid out all the different terms, fees, and pay off time. Since refinancing with them, my monthly payments are lower. It was a great experience that took only 3 weeks from start to finish.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

CountryWide went out of business and Nationstar took our loan. The guidance they gave us was during refinancing really good and now our payment is a lot cheaper.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar Mortgage took over my mortgage from HSBC Bank. I then inquired about being able to refinance because my interest rate was high and the Feds were increasing interest rates. I dealt with an advisor at first who ran credit information and looked at the rates. I was given the options of paying points, no points, as well as what my closing fees and out-of-pocket expenses would be. Once we had decided which one I was going to go with, he then transferred me to another department who then facilitated the loan. They were extremely courteous, knowledgeable and understanding. They were also professional and were beyond timely. They told me that it could take anywhere from four to six weeks, but I got a phone call within three days and we closed the following week. So it was a very easy and great process.

From the time I contacted them to the time I closed, it took two weeks, and I went from a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage and I knew all my upfront costs. When looking at the amortization chart, they told me my break even point based on my interest rate now versus what it was changing and going to. So, we went over all the options of how much I'd be saving versus how much I'd be laying out, as well as the interest versus the principal payments. I had inquired with HSBC before about refinancing and it became very difficult for me because of how long it was going to take and the expense it was going to cost me. But once Nationstar took it over, I had peace of mind knowing I wasn't overpaying on my mortgage percentage rate.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Since refinancing my loan with Nationstar, the interest rates and the payment are lower. I didn't have any problem with them, so I stayed with them. Overall, it has been a really comfortable and easy experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar bought my mortgage and they gave me a lower interest rate in refinancing with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our old mortgage was a variable and I wanted a fixed rate. I did a refinance loan through Nationstar and the experience was very good. I got a HEPA as a refinancing mortgage and I was very happy with it. The professionals I worked with did a good job and everybody was friendly and efficient. They're congenial and easy to work with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My mortgage was transferred to Nationstar and everybody I talked to there was professional and did a good job. I was provided good guidance. Being with Nationstar, I don't have to worry about the rate going sky-high. From an adjustable-rate mortgage, I went to a fixed one. The only negative was some of the things the underwriter asked were impossible to do but it all worked out. It's been a positive experience.

Nationstar Mortgage

Our team would like to address the issues you've mentioned. Please reply privately with the details in regards to your issue(s) so we can research your concerns and provide a resolution for you. Thank you for your time. -- Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: March 17, 2017

This has honestly been the most horrible experience for me. We got behind in our payments because of death and job loss over the last year. However, when we applied for our home modification last year they increased our payments by $1,100. We asked why our payments went up. The response was "it was how we filed the paperwork". I don't understand; didn't Nationstar Mortgage give us the application? Yes. So how did we mess it up? They refused to talk to me when I call and have some of the most irritating people that answer the phones. Fast forward we are now facing foreclosure. I called and asked for a reinstatement about and they couldn't tell me. Then I asked for a proper home modification application and they refuse to give me the papers.

They also have people coming to my door constantly asking dumb questions. For example, the last man came and asked how lived here. So I said, "please leave my property because this is illegal and you know it." Moreover, the rep. told me that we have other options but he can't tell me what they are. WHAT! I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall with these people. Also I got so frustrated that a VA rep. contacted us and volunteered to call Nationstar Mortgage with us to get some answer. She got so mad at them I honestly think that she was mind blown on how they refused to answer to her. All I can say is that I am tired of the stalling tactics and illegal works.

I honestly can say that they don't care about you and your family. All they want is money and even when you do that they are still not happy. Oh and let's not mention the fact that they never honored our 100% VA disability Homestead Escrow exemption that's given by the county clerk's office. Straight crocks. I wonder if the CEO knows what his company is doing to our veterans and their families? I think that I will write him/ her a letter!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar purchased our mortgage. It was with somebody else and it ended up with them. We were on an adjustable and we wanted to go to a fixed, so, we refinanced with Nationstar, and they did a great job. They chopped our payment a couple of hundred a month so it was nice. They were great to work with, and overall, it was a great experience and we would use them again.

Nationstar Mortgage

We first would like to apologize for any frustration this issue may have caused. In the future you may contact the Executive Customer Relations team directly by email at social.media@nationstarmail.com or by telephone at 1.888.509.2432. We are available in the office from Monday thru Friday 7:00 am to 5:00 pm cst. Please feel free to contact us and a member of the team would be happy to assist you. Have a great rest of the day! - Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: March 16, 2017

My mortgage was unfortunately sold to Nationstar. Initially, I was told that I needed to go to their website to setup autopay, because that information was not sent over to them. I was surprised to find out Nationstar then took out a double mortgage payment for my first payment - Surprise!! It took them days to return this money to my account.

Today, was the only day I have called Nationstar since the previously mentioned first mortgage payment snafu. Calling starts with a lengthy infomercial that you are forced to listen to, in order to get the automated operator. My only question was removing the PMI on my mortgage. The first call resulted in being disconnected after holding for over 5 minutes. The second call that I have placed has me waiting over 30 minutes so far... Despite the infomercial about their "great website," there is no place to ask about PMI, or even the ability to ask a question and have someone call, or email you back.

You are better off starting a fire in your backyard and sending Nationstar smoke signals as a means of communicating than calling their phone line. At over 35 minutes on hold and no one answering, I need to go shave again..

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to get a lower interest rate and Nationstar contacted me. I've owned a number of houses for 25 years, so I had a lot of experience refinancing. I compared their closing cost and interest rates with other mortgages I've had and it looked good. I didn't have to check with anybody else. The process has been really easy because they have the e-docs. It’s the only mortgage I’ve ever had where I didn't have to go to a banker's office. The paperwork was just signed over on the emails. And then just at the very end, they had a notary public come over to my home. It was a minimal interaction but very streamlined. And it only took 3 weeks from the time they contacted me until the closing. Sometimes, that could be 3 months. Everything went really well and what I got was what I wanted from the start - a 15-year fixed rate. There's been a drop in my monthly payment and it was a very good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking at mortgage companies to get lower interest rate. They knew I was military and my old mortgage got sold to Nationstar. Nationstar's mortgage professionals were fantastic and the people I was talking to helped me out a ton. They were friendly, knowledgeable, courteous and efficient. They gave me great guidance and the guy I spoke to took me step-by-step through it and helped me the whole way. They're great and I appreciate everything they did to help me. After refinancing, I got the cheaper interest rate which was what I was going for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was availing of Nationstar's services and decided to refinance with them. Their reps were fine and they provided me the guidance I was anticipating which was satisfactory. I also have a lower interest rate and it's been a good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have a lot of properties and by far, Nationstar was the best we’ve ever dealt with. The refinance we did with them was perfect. My mortgage payment is the same, but I knocked off a few years off my loan which is wonderful. It's the absolute best experience we’ve ever had. The process is so easy, so complete, and so clear to understand. They have been amazing.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I already had a mortgage with Nationstar so I decided to talk to them about continuing with them. Their people were very professional and honest and our interactions were quick and easy. They gave me excellent guidance and now I have lower interest and paying on a shorter term. I've been dealing with a couple of other very dishonest mortgage companies and I was surprised with Nationstar. They did an excellent job, were very forthright, and treated me with a lot of respect. It seems they value their customer and wanted to retain them or their business. They just did exactly the way I wanted my loan to be and I got everything that I asked for. So, it's been very efficient.

Application was the easiest and quickest of all mortgages I ever applied for. Everything done in less than an hour. I have had no problems and everything was explained and followed through on as explained. Also, a very low APR%.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our mortgage was with Citibank and Nationstar took over but before Citibank, they were our carrier so, it's our third time around with Nationstar. The whole refinancing process from start to finish was remarkably easy and simple. Their reps were excellent and we communicated mostly by email. We have a pretty favorable rate and the closing costs were minimal because they didn't need an appraisal. We also did most of the document signing via DocuSign, email and that was pretty slick. However, yesterday, they sold us to Freddie Mac.

Nationstar Mortgage

We would first like to apologize for any frustrations these issues may have caused you. We are reviewing the account now and will have a member of our team follow up privately to assist you. Thank you -- Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: March 12, 2017

Nationstar Mortgage will not give me a modification unless I stop making payments for 2 months, so they can say I have a hardship (this came from 3 different customer service reps). As a single retired senior with disability and no children, living alone in a small condo for 23 years, with a now high association fee of $154 whose only income from Social Security is $932, I already have a hardship! Why ruin my credit and lower my FICO score, giving them 2 months of penalties and interest?

They also don't get proper comparables, as I'm underwater, still owing close to $123,000 and my model condo barely selling at $50,000. They think it's worth $89,000 as of their most recent and 3rd denial letter, stating I earn enough to pay the mortgage. I know they can add my payment of $675 and fee of $154 leaving me a whopping $103 to pay my utilities, phone, etc. Why must they tamper with good customers this way?

In addition, although they took over for the defunct Aurora Loan Service, $27,000 was written off by Aurora (my proof by receiving 3rd-Party Collection notices) and I was assured it would be deducted from my modification in 2010. They did not deduct it, but sneaked it back into the loan, giving me only a few days to have it signed and back in their hands. Nationstar told me it wasn't their problem, just mine. They want me to default for 2 months before they consider me having a hardship, and won't look into the $27,000 that was to have been written off. I am going to file a complaint with the Consumer Fraud Bureau of our Attorney General's office.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I knew my interest rate was gonna go up and I knew I had equity on the home. So, I thought it was a good opportunity to refinance. I checked around and I believe the rate I got with Nationstar was pretty competitive. I also wanted to have the interest rate fixed and have a lower payment. When I originally bought the house, my mortgage was with another company then the loan got sold to Nationstar. The process was pretty simple. We discussed things over the phone and I didn't have to send in too much documentation, which was nice. I was also able to do a lot of the signatures for everything I needed via E-Signature, which was good. I've done refis before on properties and sometimes it takes up to six weeks but this was only a matter of a few weeks. It was done much more quickly and it wasn't a big hassle. Also, the person I dealt with was very good. She was fast, efficient and she answered my questions.

Nationstar Mortgage

Charles, we would like to apologize for any frustration this issue may have caused. In order to locate the account we will need you to respond privately the name and zip code associated with the property. Once received, a member of our team will follow up with you privately. Thanks! - Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: March 10, 2017

My brother owned property in Florida and it was financed by another lender. My brother passed away in late 2015 and at the same time Nationstar purchased the loan from the prior lender. Immediately the problems began. Misapplied payments, refusal to recognize the order of the court as to the property securing the loan being now in the name of the estate, and the establishment of an escrow account (which was not authorized under the loan as acquired).

Nationstar then purchased flood insurance without consent on a single family basis, when the collateral was a condominium, fully covered by the common area flood and hazard insurance. Copies of the condominium insurance were provided, but Nationstar ignored and continued with the separate insurance, and charged to the loan balances. Several copies of the master insurance were sent and eventually Nationstar ceased demanding payments for the unnecessary insurance they purchased and did not credit the loan balances with the erroneous charges.

In 2017 the same scenario has occurred notwithstanding possession of the master policy showing coverage through the renewal date in mid-April of 2017, and again single interest flood insurance purchased at the expense of the mortgage debtor, notwithstanding provision of several additional copies of the Master Condominium insurance certificates. Nationstar still refuses, after receipt of a court order transferred ownership to me, to change the loan account to reflect that I am the owner of the collateral, and the party making the mortgage payments.

In summary I feel that Nationstar uniformly purchases single interest flood insurance for a profit basis to the lender. Clearly the customer service and fairness of Nationstar is substandard, and in all probability criminal. I would not recommend Nationstar for any mortgage matters and would caution all consumers to stay away from this unfair, deceptive, and unresponsive company.

Nationstar Mortgage

We first would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Whether it's positive or negative, feedback helps us to better serve all our customers. Our team's reviewing the account and will follow up privately to further assist. Thanks! -Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: March 10, 2017

I received a document from NationStar stating Kathy and Myself were behind on mortgage ** and to take the letter to my Attorney. I was unaware we were behind on the mortgage, turns out NationStar has been charging huge amounts of interest since and JACKED up the payment in July 2016. Kathy did not receive notification until the Fall of 2016. I did not get it until February 26, 2017! She contacted the ins. co because NationStar stated the insurance had lapsed.

The Insurance co sent proof of ins. to NationStar 4 time now, Kathy has sent, and I have sent it, with fax verification it was received! Nationstar is still trying to take the house of a 57 year old school teacher raising her 2 grandsons, and has never been late on a mortgage payment, due to evidently faulty/erroneous/ accounting on NationStar's behalf. I asked NationStar tonight (Mary Ann **) why are they taking people's houses who have never been late on a payment, nor missed insurance? NationStar refused to answer me on why.

This is a Predatory Lender!!! They have jacked the interest rates up and increased the payments trying to take this house, and taking us to court. They also refused to speak with me even though they sent me a letter indicating I am named in this fore-closure, and attempting to defame my name. NationStar is trying to Extract Money and house from the wrong person. I actually look forward to court against NationStar!!! We have proof of every payment is on time and proof of insurance this Unrighteous Predatory Lender is using for a foreclosure case in **. NationStar - Beware of this NationStar - Predatory Lender Using erroneous/FALSE claims to pump up their bottom line - LQQK for the YT.

This mortgage was sold by HSBC to this company which ID's themselves as a bill collection agency. They are supposed to be a mortgage servicer. The communication skills of their telephone staff are poor, with heavy accents. The customer service needs help. All comments are from script. I continuously pay within the allotted time before late charges, yet I am always getting phone calls about my payment.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everything with Nationstar was professional and their reps back each other up. If my rep wasn’t there, somebody else would respond to my emails. I'm one of the people who read my documents and when it talked about closing cost, I would email them and if I needed more explanation, the rep would call me. We were looking at putting a whole bunch down and almost paying the mortgage off. And when that made our rate go up higher, the rep explained that and he was very thorough. Nationstar had superior service and everything they said has come true and we're paying the mortgage off faster. They had someone come out to my house to close and my husband was very upset that that was happening. But the experience was great even when we were taking a negative attitude towards it.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Nationstar Mortgage

We first would like to apologize for any frustration caued by the insurance claims process. We're reviewing the account to see how we can get things moving along for you. A member of our team will also follow up privately to help out. Thanks! -Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: March 9, 2017

First of it, Nationstar was never my original mortgage, unfortunately my first mortgage transferred my loan to Nationstar. My house got damage due to an electrical fire back in May of 2016. It is March of 2017 and still in the process of trying to get my money that the insurance paid me already but funds needed to be handle by Nationstar Mortgage. Nationstar disbursed the first check to the adjuster for 28,000 dollars back in September of 2016. At that time they never told me that the 28,000 will be consider as part of the initial payment towards the repair of my house. Needless to say that I'd constantly told them, "Keep in mind that the first disbursement is to pay the adjuster." Nationstar representatives keep telling me, "Yes, we have it in our records and don't worry." Well, it is time for repairs to start and it is going to cost 141,000 dollars. Now Nationstar is telling me that they will disburse a check for 11,000 to the contractor to start work. That was an insult!!!

Worst of all, Nationstar won't release the rest of my money until 50% of repairs are complete. I'm stuck with no money, doing monthly mortgage payments on time for a house that is empty. I understand protocols that we need to follow but this is by far that worst excuse for a mortgage company to abuse their power so that they can profitable themselves without having any concerns for their reputation and credibility as a company. My lawyer is already starting process to take care this issue. I felt that it was really important to report this, so that they don't keep doing this to other people like me. Other important problem that Nationstar has is their customer service, the lack of knowledge and sensitivity. Their inconsistency when given information is a disgrace.

Nationstar Mortgage

We appreciate your feedback regarding the payment process and customer service you've received when calling us. Our team's currently reviewing the account and will follow up privately to further assist. Thanks again! ^Nationstar Customer Relations Team

Original review: March 8, 2017

My fault, never bounced a mortgage payment, called to find out if they'd redeposit it, it missed my direct deposit by one day. It took almost 50 minutes for them to tell me that they don't redeposit the check, but I can make a payment directly w/ them. So I did that; the money never got pulled, called again a week later they said, the account number wasn't valid (I am an accountant and had them repeat back the account info the first time). The 2nd call was a bit easier but I feel that I had dealt with total incompetence. They have my email address and home phone #, they should've contacted me immediately if they had messed up writing down the account # info! I would NEVER recommend this mortgage company to anyone. Have called them in the past to get a question answered when my mortgage unfortunately got sold to them and that call was about an hour. OMG! They are polite but totally incompetent, like they read from a script or something!!!

Nationstar Mortgage Company Profile