Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to lower my interest and payments and the reps at Nationstar were very efficient and pleasant during the refinancing. They had the information that I requested at their fingertips. I got a lowered interest and a lowered payment, and they didn't have to come in and check the current value of the home. The two gentlemen who I dealt with over the phone and the internet were terrific and the young lady who was with the title company that Nationstar used was also fantastic.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The rep I spoke to was awesome. If I ever had to leave her a voicemail, she got back to me within the hour. Any questions my husband or I had throughout the process, she would call anytime and was very knowledgeable about where she does the whole process. If she didn’t know, she made the correct calls. She knew what her resources were. The overall experience was awesome. I would definitely do it again with Nationstar.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to refinance to lower interest rate. I went with Nationstar since there was no appraisal. The process was really simple and I recommend them. There’d never been any trouble with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar was my mortgage holder. I wanted a lower payment and they had several options for me to pick from and so I refinanced with them. I didn’t have to wonder about what was happening for they told me everything that I needed to know and they seemed to be knowledgeable. They gave me some good advice and were able to explain what they were. I felt comfortable that they had the option that I needed to pick. They helped me with budgeting and gave me a little bit of breathing room.

Nationstar Mortgage

Staci, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am going to look into this for you. I will contact you Monday with an update. Thank you ^Kalie

Original review: April 20, 2017

After Nationstar bought out my mortgage they decided to tack on homeowner's insurance on my acct which in 16 yrs have never had, I pay it separately. I have been on the phone over the last 4 months trying to get this taken care of. Still it's not taken care of and it's making my payment go up and showing me past due. Been hung up on, been on phone for 3 hrs and still nothing yet. I bought my house when I was 21 years old, great credit score and they get a hold of my mortgage and it's all messed up now.

Daniel helped me with the refinancing of my home. Due to my busy schedule I asked Daniel to please email me or call me early mornings. It was a seamless and stress free process. Daniel helped guide me and gave me full details of the process and following steps. I would recommend Daniel ** and Nationstar Mortgage to any of my friends and family.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was a great experience.

Nationstar Mortgage

Alison, hope you are well. I am going to look into your concern for you. I will keep you updated once we research your concerns. Thank you. ^Kalie

Original review: April 18, 2017

When the market crashed, we were unable to sell our house. Crime rate was horrible in our area and we were tired of someone trying to break into our home every other night. So, we decided to leave either way. Our mortgage was originally with someone else, and was sold to Nationstar Mortgage 1 year before we decided to leave. Home never went into foreclosure, but was purchased by Kwik Trip Company. They paid for everything that was due - no short sale and they paid off the remainder of our loan in its entirety. They were told, and us, that nothing was left to pay. We have documentation proving this.

We moved to a different town, and never received anything from Nationstar Mortgage. We are trying to purchase a home and can't because of Nationstar stating we have over 22 late payments - which is completely inaccurate. My husband called them and was told it was a short sale and we owed them over $5000. Again, documentation and Kwik Trip's lawyers, whom we have contacted and are willing to fight them in court, state we owed nothing and loan was paid in full. We have sent them this proof, but now it is like pulling teeth to get anyone from Nationstar to call us back. We need this removed from his credit.

I am a full-time student and have excellent credit, but I need to finish school. Thankfully, Kwik Trip's lawyers are ready to file some paperwork against this company to help us out and to help to get this removed from my husband's credit. What they are doing to us is actually completely illegal and our lawyers can prove it. We are giving them until end of next week - April 28th - to respond. If they don't, then we are taking this to the courts. This company is horrible and they are illegally trying to take advantage of us since our home did go to a sheriff's sale, which is where it was purchased by Kwik Trip... legal paperwork proves not a short sale and that we owed NOTHING!!! Even have documentation FROM Nationstar stating this exact information at time of sale. Bogus company!!!

Nationstar Mortgage

@Peter Nelson - Good morning Mr. Nelson. Glad you got your issue resolved. I wanted to provide you with the direct contact information for our Executive Customer Relations team. If you have any questions or concerns in the future you can contact us at 1.888.509.2432 - we are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 5 pm CST. Thank you. ^Kalie

Original review: April 18, 2017

They service three of our loans. They adjusted one of our loans in July, 2016 upwards. Auto-pay paid the old amount, so the account was short by $149.40. Nationstar assessed $185.91 in late fees over the course of 9 months from a rolling late of $149.40. They said they tried to text and call. But we block Nationstar on text and call because they are so aggressive with marketing products and services to us that we do not need. But they never sent us a letter telling us of the shortfall.

Then, nine months later we received a certified letter from Nationstar with a pre-foreclosure letter. That letter cost Nationstar several dollars to send, yet they decided not to send us multiple letters at the time of the shortfall. So Nationstar is attempting to collect $185 in late fees on a $149 shortage from a client of 5-1/2 years that pays automatically every month on time. AND, they do it with all kinds of 'customer service kindness' without really caring.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationstar Mortgage?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I didn’t know that Bank of America was going to stop my refinancing with them and I was completely taken by surprise when Nationstar took over. I tried to refinance through other agencies but due to my circumstances, I couldn’t. Eventually, I decided to go ahead and Nationstar accepted my situation and went ahead with the refinancing. I would have done better with a monthly payment of $545 or $530, but I finished up with $580. The interest rate is going up though and if I had postponed it even further, I would have been paying more now. In general, it’s fine.

I was pleased with the turn around time of the re-finance process. I worked with Alex ** and Jesus ** and they were attentive and responded to e-mails and phone calls promptly. Together they made the process quick, easy and stress free.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am very pleased with Nationstar. Every time I have questions, they’re helpful and if I need anything, they help me as best as they could. They’ve always treated me well and I’ve always felt comfortable talking with them. They also allow lower monthly payments. I’m at the point where I’m not going to pay off the loan for quite a long time, so I’m at least able to have more money by having the smaller payment to spruce up a little capital.

Nationstar Mortgage

Bhavna, I would like to discuss this with you in more detail so that I can get this taken care of for you. I am part of the Executive Customer Relations team and you can reach me by phone at 1.888.509.2432. I would be happy to assist you further so that we can get this issue straightened away for you. I look forward to speaking with you. ^Kalie

Original review: April 12, 2017

I was told if I made payment into Escrow, analysis will be run again and my monthly mortgage payment will be reduced. It really depends on who you get when you call. Previous the agents were helpful. The manager explained that I did not have to pay the two months advance that the agents kept on insisting that I need. This time unfortunately I had to deal with the following persons: Brenda in customer service who thinks she knows it all, she put me on hold for 27 minutes and not once came back to say sorry for the wait.

Then there was Michael in Escrow department who said even if he ran escrow analysis it will not reduce the monthly payment as I have surplus, which no one previously told me. Then the account manager Jerry came along, who said the system is set to auto generate to give me the funds I had sent. I have no choice! So now my money is stuck till I receive it back. Just because I made a phone call he out of spite is going to send the money back. Very bad customer service. Lack of communication within departments. No help to customer. All three of them should be fired! As soon as I am able to I will change this company. Overall Nationstar Mortgage company puts stress on customer rather than helping them in any way.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had some other calls for some other mortgage companies that I was trying to compare to but in the end, the deciding factor was Nationstar already had my original loan and the paperwork would have been easier. Also, the other quotes that I got from other lenders were lower than what Nationstar’s original rate was. I interacted with a couple of people and they were responsive to my emails and my questions. They’re also easy to get the transactions on.

I contacted Swaha ** in February to inquire about a mortgage loan. Kwaha made the loan process effortless. I was so impressed with her knowledge, her reassurance and also checked in with me during the process. Thank you Nationstar for employees who go beyond what is expected.

Thanks so much to Shelly ** & Cindy ** for helping me with my refinancing. They were so wonderful and made my experience so easy. They were always there to help with anything during the process and I so much appreciate them. Thank you both for your help @ Nationstar.

Nationstar Mortgage

Dan - I would be happy to look into your concerns for you. Please allow one business day for me to review the account. I appreciate the opportunity to sort through this for you. As well, I would like to provide you the Customer Relations phone number and email. Please do not hesitate to reach us using either of these means. We would be happy to assist you with any question or concern you may have. Hope you have a great week ahead! Thank you for informing us of this issue. -- Customer Relations Team

Customer Relations Phone - 1.888.509.2432

Customer Relations Email - Social,Media@nationstarmail.com

Original review: April 6, 2017

I warn you!!! Do not take out a mortgage with this company. The customer service is beyond horrific and they haven't been paying my taxes to my city from my escrow. Good luck if you ever need to get in touch with customer service and have them respond back to you. I NEVER leave reviews but I had to because it's taken over 2 months to figure out why they aren't correctly paying my taxes. The woman has been very aggressive with me over the phone. I have sent daily emails requesting an update and nobody responds. It's to the point I've called my lawyer and they are now getting involved. I'm paying my taxes directly to my city now since they can not handle it.

Nationstar Mortgage

Phil, please allow me the opportunity to look into this for you. I am going to do some initial research based on the information you have provided me and I will be contacting you soon at the phone number listed on your account. Please allow me one business day to review the situation. Have a great rest of the day! I look forward to speaking with you soon. - Customer Relations Team

Original review: April 6, 2017

Neither one of these companies (Greenlight and Nationstar) have the consumer in mind. This has been the biggest nightmare that I have ever partaken in. Numinous doc. signings everyone of them different. Rates are the same but the fees were starting out. I told them no out of pocket fees. They agreed. Then here come the docs. with fees attached. Now this has been going on for almost 2 months. I call and conveniently no one is ever available to talk and no one answers the phone. "Please leave a detailed message" again and again. I WILL NEVER WORK WITH THESE JERKS AGAIN! If you were wise you would not either.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve been carrying an adjustable rate since 2006. Within the span of a year, the interest rate went up a full point that’s why I refinanced my old mortgage with Nationstar. It worked to my benefit. Their mortgage professionals were really friendly and helpful. But some of the terms were really confusing. It was like I don’t understand what this charge is for, or why is this number different, or if I add all these numbers in a column they don’t come up with the bottom numbers. They said things will change as they go through it. There were three or four different estimates given. But, when it was all said and done, it worked out great.

Nationstar Mortgage

Barbara, We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience with you so that we can provide a more positive one. Please feel free to contact us directly at 1.888.509.2432. We are here for you and ready to help! -Customer Relations Team

Original review: April 5, 2017

No regular contact from a loss representative as promised in their Loss/Draft procedures. Basically you have to proactively call them continuously and inquire about the status of the funds, required paperwork, and so on. When you dial their main number they make you listen to all their silly advertisements up front. Totally annoying. Hint: If you press "0" a hundred times while yelling "Agent" into the phone, their voice recognition super rep gets the hint. Their voice recognition does NOT recognize when you say "LOSS DRAFT" department. And, there is no number prominently display anywhere on their website. They have no email option, no chat, and no way to escalate anything.

They are EXCELLENT at sending official looking FEDEX envelopes to you with a page of loan sales material in there, but YOU have to pay a sizable amount to get something FEDEXed to you. Ridiculous. They, like I'm sure many mortgage companies, have laws to protect their interests and marry you to a contractor. But, if your contract fails you and liens are placed against your home, I'm sure you are on your own or referred back to your insurance company. Bottom line: It's just plain bad to borrow money from anyone, and especially from this company.

Home borrowers... if you have to take out a home loan, DO NOT just sign up with the mortgage company that a particular real estate agent recommends. Do your own homework. Pick a company that at least can provide some decent service and has some high scores on that front. Overall, I would not recommend this company because of this experience with a hail damage loss. Next time I get a mailer for a "refinance" I will take a second look. Only a second look, because of the mortgage industry's reputation in general, I'm not so sure there are better one's out there. Sad, but true. Best advice. Try not to ever borrow money if it can be avoided.

Nationstar Mortgage

Phillip, We appreciate your feedback. We'd be happy to help you work thru your concerns to provide a resolution for you. We are ready, willing and able to assist you. Please contact us directly by email at Social.media@nationstarmail.com or you can call us at 1.888.509.2432 so that we may begin to resolve your concerns. We look forward to speaking with you soon. Have a great day! - Customer Relations Team.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Why did my mortgage have to get sold to these clowns?? I have AUTO-PAY setup and they somehow canceled it, are saying I owe them an extra payment (have spoken with their reps who say I don't) and are charging me fees and harassing me. They take forever to respond to messages. Their customer service is garbage, and I have friggin correspondence to back up my claims but still they keep screwing up my account!!! I'm about ready to refinance just to get away from these schmucks. I don't know what else I can do. These guys are harassing me at work now.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar bought the mortgages that we had. We called Nationstar because they kept sending mailings that they could refinance it so we asked what they could do. They did a good job of explaining to me what was available, what would it cost and what we should be able to expect. They would also send us paperwork consistently. We had two that we applied for but they were unable to combine the first and second for the second one so we just did one. The entire process wasn't long and it was streamlined.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted lower interest rates than the 15-year and since I already had Nationstar, it was easier to refinance with them. It was a quick process and took me only 3-4 days. Overall, it has been an excellent experience. I'll recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

HSBC sold my mortgage to Nationstar. I was in a one-year ARM for five years or more. I finally decided it was about time to refinance when they started looking at raising the Federal Reserve rate. I figured I'll call the Nationstar that already has my mortgage. That was a good choice and it was easy. Jack ** was the first person that I was in contact with and he was terrific. He was really friendly and explained the actions and what they thought they could do. He also said that he could do everything by phone and by the eDocs and it worked out perfectly.

Then he ended up working with a lady who was very nice too. At one point, there was a preliminary financial summation and then later, that was changed and I had to re-sign documents. But, it was all done online so it was very easy. Everybody was very professional and very up on top of what they were doing. They made it as easy as they could for me and I was very happy with it. Also, it was nice that I had a month that I didn't have to pay my mortgage and then my rate went down a couple of hundred dollars. It was really good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had Nationstar for a while and then I refinanced with them to lower my interest rate. The guidance I received about my refinancing options was very good. My refinancing officer was knowledgeable and friendly and we also talked about things other than refinancing my mortgage. We also talked about her family and my family. It took about two weeks to do the refinancing from start to finish. It went fast and smoothly.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar is my current mortgage company. They contacted me several times a week for a year. We were trying to determine whether we want to sell our house or refinance. So when we refinanced, we stayed with Nationstar because it was easier. The rep was really nice and he helped me walk through the whole e-document process so that it was streamlined and simple. I didn’t really understand the fees and it kind of seemed like I was charged more than I thought I was going to be. When I went to sign the papers, I said, “Wait a second. My loan is a lot higher than I thought it was going to be.” So that was the only part that I was not sure about. But, the guy who was doing it for me from Greenlight Loans was really good. He worked with me to lower the percentage rate since I was unhappy about the fees. There was also another girl that worked on it and she was really good as well. So, the refinancing went through quickly.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

To lower the interest rate, I thought of refinancing my old mortgage. I researched several different mortgage providers and it was easier and just as good to stick with Nationstar especially as I already had them in the first place. I initially called them and told them I wanted to refinance, then they gave me quotes and told me what they could offer me. They were very professional and efficient, and it took just two weeks to refinance. The guidance I received was good as well. Since refinancing, my house payment is lower and I'm very satisfied with my experience with Nationstar.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a mortgage with Nationstar, but it went from an interest-only to a variable. I refinanced and got a fixed rate which was what I was going for. Brandon and April were wonderful. They were so kind and did everything. They were great at what they did and we had no problems. Everything fell right into place. I've recommended Nationstar to someone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking at lower interest rates and since my loan was taken over by Nationstar, I decided to see what they had to say about it. The initial part of refinancing was slightly rocky in the sense that I was expecting a little lower interest rate but everybody was professional and everything went fine. The rate is lower than what I had before but I don’t know if it’s the best rate that was out there for me because I didn’t take the time to even shop. Overall, I would definitely recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar bought up my mortgage from our previous mortgage company, and I was very good to have been able to get the refinancing done in 18 days from the day we started. That was amazing.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Nationstar took over my home loan. During my refinancing with them, their professionals were very quick and did an outstanding job. Also, the guidance I received from them was accurate. The process was very seamless.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The rep that I dealt with was positive and he got me the best interest rate that he can get. It’s more like a personal relationship than it's business so he made it a bit more comfortable. He explained to me everything I needed to know and the interest rate that he gave me was something I was looking for, because the only options that I had at that time was to get reference, straight out lower my payment or lose the house. It’s a rental home so the amount that I could afford was going down. The rep made the process easy. I know in the end it helps him out too because it’s part of sales. But he was more understanding and made me feel it was more for my benefit. And I really appreciated that he cared more for the veteran. During the first round with Nationstar, I was at the point where I might as well give them the keys back. But I was happy from beginning to end. Nationstar treated me with respect.

I would like very much to thank Christopher ** and Toy ** for their help. They were very helpful and always there when I asked a question. Thank you both again. It was actually a pleasure. I would definitely recommend a friend. I was never uncomfortable.

I called in January 2017 to request for my PMI and ESCROW to be taken off. I was told that I would be able to with no problem if I put a chunk of money down to be below 80%. I was currently standing at 76%. I put the money down to get under 80% and called back. I was then told the next step is to have the house appraised because it had to be 80% under what it is appraised, not what I bought it for. Hmmm - maybe you should have told me that before I put the money down because now not only did I do that, I also have to pay for the appraisal that was done by someone Nationstar hires. Here is the kicker, I bought the house at the peak time of the market in 2005 so of course the house will not appraise for that amount I bought it for and due to this lack of information, I would have kept my money and completed the appraisal first.

I have put 23k into this house and have paid 20% down on the house to Nationstar so you would think being below 80% would be doable after paying for 12 years. I am a long time customer with no concerns or problems on my account but it is not true. Nationstar will not honor the fact I am well below the 20% on my house to take the PMI and ESCROW off my account. I now am told I have to pay another 26k down to get under 80%. How is that right? You buy a house for 113k and they are telling me I have to put 50% down before they will take the PMI and ESCROW off. Nationstar does not care about you, no matter if you are a long time customer and you have paid well over what you need to pay, they still want more money from you. The Escrow falls off next year so I honestly was okay with paying it down but still, they want 26k more!!! That seems crazy to me!

The customer service department just made things worse. They were nice but gave me all the wrong information which escalated some anxiety within me and when asked to be transferred to the department (ESCROW), I was told they can help me and did not need to be transferred. He put me on hold (maybe to see what to do with me) so I did finally hang up and called back and finally got transferred to the department I asked for.

I will say, I gave two stars instead of one because the people that helped me in the PMI and ESCROW department were very polite and nice. They obviously did not give me the information I wanted to hear but appeared genuine and apologetic. I was explained their process fully (granted that is after money has been put down and appraisal was completed) so I do understand their procedures but there is still something off for me to have to put 50% down from what I bought the house for to reach below 80%. It just doesn't match up to me. I am not satisfied.

Nationstar Mortgage Company Profile