Call toll free
3.92/5
Based on 814 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Mr. Cooper, formerly known as Nationstar Mortgage, is one of the largest home loan servicers in the country focused on delivering a variety of servicing and lending products, services and technologies to make the home loan process more rewarding and less worrisome for our customers.

Mr. Cooper is more than just a new brand name. It represents a better way of doing business. We’re keeping things simple, focusing on solutions and putting customers first. We’re on a journey to better, and we won’t stop until we achieve our goal: To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

Mr. Cooper Video
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 19, 2018

7089 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I've been with Nationstar for 12 years and then Mr. Cooper took over. I needed to take someone off the title of an investment property so I refinanced my mortgage. The people at Mr. Cooper were fantastic and courteous. They went over what it took to get it done -- the interest rates, the payments, and the benefits of doing either a cashout or just a straight refinance. They responded within hours if not minutes and got the job done quickly like they said they would. It couldn't have been a better experience. Also, the fees were normal and the rates were good. I've recommended Mr. Cooper.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 19, 2018

My mortgage was bought by Mr. Cooper then they called me and offered me a refinance option and I accepted it. They offered me a minimum out of pocket closing cost and 0.5% off of my percentage rate, which absolutely saved me about $300 a month. So that really helped reduce my bills because my house payment is high. Their expertise and professionalism was pretty good overall. Zach, the guy that called me and continued to process my information led me to believe though that I was gonna have no out of pocket closing cost. Then he came back and told me that I needed to have $4,500 to come to the table with. So it left a bad taste in my mouth because he misled me from the get-go. But he and I had spoken about that as it was just a misunderstanding so it was all good. I understood what happened and he did too. Other than that the guidance provided was great.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had a wonderful and professional experience with the Refinance Process and the representative (Shaun) who handled the process. Now fast forward to inquiring about reinstating the mortgage accelerator to the refinance and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing! I had a horrible experience getting information and found myself being transferred back-and-forth, and being disconnected and put on hold for up to 20 minutes without any success or answers to my inquiry. If customer service and the Mortgage Accelerator depts. had the knowledge the refinance representative has I would NOT be disappointed!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I was mortgaged with Citibank and got transferred over to Mr. Cooper. I did a refinance because we needed to get some flooring done. The reps were great and very nice. They answered all my questions. They helped me with everything so it was easy and there were no issues. It was a pleasant experience and everything stayed the same. I have a really low-interest rate and we got the equity out and did the refinancing. We were at 12 and a half years owed on our house and so we only opted to 15. I would tell others to definitely go with Mr. Cooper.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The reps at Mr. Cooper were very on point. I'm the type of person that doesn't have a lot of time so I don't like wasting it and it seemed like they didn't either. I was trying to get a lower interest rate and though I didn't get it as low as I wanted, everything worked out because they explained to me a couple of loans I had that if I got consolidated, it would still help me out. They answered all of my questions and were very professional. So far, everything is doing quite well, and if I had to do it again, I would use them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: April 16, 2018

At that time refinancing my old mortgage was a good time for me and the rates were good. Also, I wanted to lock my interest. I had my interest open and it was about to expire this year. Then I went with Mr. Cooper the first time they called and they were excellent. They were very helpful and they answered all my questions.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Mr. Cooper is a great company to deal with. I was in an FHA loan and I wanted to get out of it so I refinanced through a conventional. It was well-handled by Mr. Cooper and they were very efficient. The application process was straightforward and easy. It took a couple of months which was actually pretty quick. And I didn’t have to do much either. Ron explained everything and then when it went over to the underwriter, the girl who did that was really good too. The two people I was dealing with were constantly in contact with me. If there were any questions, they called me and they returned my calls promptly with any issues I had. They were very good. I had a great experience with Mr. Cooper so I would recommend them. The lower rate has also helped me on my mortgage payment.

Original review: April 15, 2018

The process went well and quickly, I was kept up to date throughout the process. The loan officer and the mortgage rep both were very informative and thorough. The ability to sign electronically streamlined the process. I would recommend Mr. Cooper to anyone.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 14, 2018

We had our mortgage at first with Bank of America. It was sold immediately to Nationstar in 2011. I was laid off from my job in March 2014. I contacted Nationstar and told them that I needed a Loan Modification. They said they gave one and it was more than my original payment. We continued to talk with them to no avail. In 2016 they started foreclosure proceedings and we contacted a company called The Westwood Legal who said they could help us not to be foreclosed on. They charged us $3,500.

In June 2017, we received an Assignment of Mortgage/Deed of Trust from West Holdings and Acquisitions that said we needed to go get our signature notarized and file with our county clerk's office. Then they said we needed to start making payments to them of $982.72 month beginning in July 2017. We did everything they asked thinking this was a legitimate company and then in January 10, 2018 our house was sold.

We contacted Nationstar to no avail and explained that we had been scammed and they pretended they were going to help us, but they did absolutely nothing to help us matter of fact we are now homeless and an Arab has been allowed to move in our house and at this time I am not sure if he has really closed on the property. He did not close within the 30 days listed on The Master Commissioner site and yet if it had been us, we would have had to forfeit our down payment. Seems that this company may been in on the scam we have experienced. You may ask what Nationstar can do to help, well, get my home back and provide me with monetary damages from the suffering our family is experiencing from no home and being in a motel.

We worked with Ong ** who supposedly was working for us and she did absolutely nothing. She turned us over to a Jared ** with HH Law and he did nothing for us but work for the purchaser and we feel that we should be allowed to have our home back or a better one at the expense of Nationstar. We are in the process of getting legal representation and will file a formal suit against all parties involved in this illegal transaction. If we understand correctly the title is clouded and the purchaser can't get a clear title anyway. We would ask your immediate attention to this matter as we are homeless and cannot find suitable housing.

By the way just so you know my wife and daughter are both disabled and this is really unfair that two disabled people have been thrown out of their home to let an ** and his family move in. Where is justice for the Americans in the USA? Do we just have to give our belongings to anyone from another country now that wants it. By the way it is speculated that this man that purchased the home is working with West H & A and that he may even sell the home and that he bought it for $90,000 more than what was owing on it. Very unlikely that Jerad ** even ask him to take a settlement since we were scammed. All involved should lose their jobs immediately. I expect housing at the expense of Nationstar within 5 business days. We want our home back ASAP.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We had to finish up the bankruptcy so we wanted a better rate. Mr. Cooper offered to refinance our old mortgage and now, we have a better interest rate.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Very satisfied with the loan process from Starla ** who took the loan info to Bhret ** who completed it. However not really happy with the young lady who came to our home for the signing and completion of the loan. She didn't leave a copy of our loan papers and I have had to go back to Mr. ** to get info on how to get these papers. I have not received them yet but have info on who to call to get them.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Too many times things were on my closing disclosure that I either had to dispute or have explained to me. One of the first things I was told at the beginning of the loan process is that "my appraisal fee would be taken care of" something to that effect. To me, that means that you will be paying it, period, and that I wouldn't have to pay the appraisal fee. The fact that I had to reimburse you for the appraisal was never mentioned during the first conversation. Typical salesperson jargon. "Hey, we will pay your appraisal fee". Yes you paid for it but I have to reimburse you for it. BS!

I was quoted a rate based on 80% loan-to-value. My appraisal came in where the loan was exactly 80% loan-to-value. Later I was told the loan costs would be an additional $4000-$5000 because I was over 75% loan to value. WTF! That was never mentioned until later. The loan manager was able to get a waiver, like it was a big favor for me. BS! Typical bait and switch. Get me into the process and give me the bad news later!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I was with Nationstar and when it was bought up by Mr. Cooper, my mortgage got sold to them. I then called Mr. Cooper about another issue and they connected me to a refinancing specialist. His name was Jessie and he was wonderful. I told him that we don't need to go any further because I have no work for almost five years. But he insisted that we look into refinancing my old mortgage, so we did and he was able to make it happen. Jessie explained to me that if I do nothing different than what I was doing before, I can have it paid off in six years. That was encouraging to me.

However, I have been getting information from mortgage protection groups that they want to sell me a mortgage insurance. What bothered me is it says the lender Nationstar has the amount I loaned But it didn't have my name on it. And I've been in this house almost 13 years and I've never received any mail to this name. I've opened a call with Mr. Cooper thinking that there might have been some kind of data breach since I don't know who this person is because my Nationstar and my minimal loan and my address and it's not my name. Mr. Cooper told me it would take up to 15 business days so I'm hoping that they'll find some kind of resolution because it now makes me question if I did the right thing of refinancing. I worked hard to keep my credit not working and if this screws it up, I will not be a happy customer. Other than that, the process at Mr. Cooper was easy.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I recently had my mortgage transferred from Citibank to Nationstar. I was trying to refi with Citi but after more than 2 months and nearly 50 pages of faxed documentation I gave up when they wanted an open ended check for $500.00 to cover the estimated cost of translating a document from Germany. I politely told them what to do with the refi request. Was delighted to hear that Nationstar had taken over my Mortgage. Was more delighted to hear that all the minimum paperwork was done by E-Mail in about two or three weeks. Thank You Mr. Cooper... I look forward to a long and happy relationship... What's your stock symbol???

Original review: April 12, 2018

I've been with Nationstar for a number of years. I refinanced one time and Mr. Cooper bought the loan. Their reps were great and really helpful. Refinancing with them gave me peace of mind, plus, I paid off a number of high interest things. I'd recommend them.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Mr. Cooper purchased my loan from CitiMortgage in Nov of 2017. Ever since it’s been one nightmare after another. When you call they don't listen to your problems, they just have excuses. They are rude also. They change your loan after saying nothing will change at all. They don't care about you at all.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This company is very professional and everyone is friendly and helpful. I recently refinanced my mortgage and it was a fairly easy process with the help of two very competent members at the mortgage department. I would recommend Mr. Cooper to all my friends.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This was a refinance with Mr. Cooper. I was assured that there would be much less paperwork - and I guess there was. But some of what was required was utterly ridiculous - like a letter from me and from my employer explaining why my salary is higher this year than it was last year. However, everyone was friendly and nice, the appraiser was very good, and it was more pleasant than other experiences in the past in obtaining mortgages.

Original review: April 11, 2018

We have had a horrible experience with Mr. Cooper. We've had ongoing issues because of a mistake that they made, and no one can seem to fix it. I am now on my SEVENTH request to get this mistake taken care of and everyone tells me a different story, followed by the same promise that it will be taken care of. Our "dedicated loan specialist" never returns emails or phone calls - and is never there when we call. Nothing but frustration with this company!

Original review: April 11, 2018

The whole process was simple and easy. The Mr. Cooper representatives on the phone to the notary that came to our house to sign all the documents were complete professionals, very knowledgeable and even helped me in a tough situation to get get the assistance I needed to help me out. Highly recommend Mr. Cooper for your Home Loan, Refinance Needs!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I just refinanced my mortgage with Mr. Cooper and was very pleased with the entire process and the fixed interest rate that I secured. The service that I received was excellent from start to finish. It was a pleasure and a comforting feeling in dealing with everyone at Mr. Cooper. I would highly recommend a friend!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Even Nationstar Mortgage/Mr. Cooper was my Mortgage holder for 5.75%. They agreed to refinance me for only 3.82%. Not me chasing them, they kept me updated all the time, explained me all the documents that I need, going thru some problems with a very old agreement that I had with a tenant they made sure to help me have the problem solved professional and legally, especially Karynn ** was very helpful. She never forgot to tell me that I may be recorded, and Steve ** that called me personal for any request I had, explaining me why he can't do it and gave me the solution how to do it, if it was doable.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Mr. Cooper was my mortgage company and I went through there first to see if I could get something that would work for me. When I was speaking to the rep, Jeff, he really gave me some great options. Then he gave me some time to think about it and it all worked out nicely. The guidance I received for my refinancing was excellent. Jeff told me thoroughly about each option and did a 15-20-25-30. He gave me the best interest rate and I had some education from him about things that I didn’t even realized I didn’t know and which I also looked up after the fact, which he talked me through to do. So, it was really a great experience.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Thank you for all the help and excellent service Ryan and Winston gave us during this Refinance process. They were always there to answer any of our questions and gave us prompt responses and assistance whenever we needed it. I will gladly recommend them to our friends should they also need to refinance their homes.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I would like to commend Maria ** and Dan ** for their outstanding performance during my refinance a couple of weeks ago. Their expertise made the process go very smoothly for me. They both thoroughly explained each step of the refinance and answered every question that I had during the process. If I am in need of any mortgage need, I certainly would come back to work with Maria and Dan again. And, I definitely would recommend both of them to my friends and family for any mortgage need. The service was splendid!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I had good experience with Mr. Cooper with my mortgage so when it was time to refinance, we also went with them. Their reps were easy to reach and very professional. They answered every question and were very thorough when discussing our refi options. It was a smooth experience going through the process and they made it very quick. We applied and had the funding within two and a half weeks, which is amazing. Now, we have lower monthly payments and we're able to renovate our house, which was the purpose of the refi. It was really helpful and things just couldn't have gone better. Mr. Cooper has been honest, reliable and efficient, and I would recommend them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2018

I fell behind after husband got laid off, looked at my statement they gave me a total that needed paid. I called to see if and how I can wire money to them, holy crap he told me almost 2000.00 more I owe. When I ask him what these charges are all about he stuttered! WTH is going on. I said I had to the 17 to pay this month (April) I just wanted to get caught up. Well Jeff told me, "NO I needed it all." I told him to take my home because every time I look at statement then call it's more! And I'm not talking just 35.00 late fee.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Mr. Cooper bought our contract from Bank of America and there were letters laying around about refinancing so I called the number. We had good experience with Mr. Cooper's reps and there wasn't any pressure when we talked to them. It was, "Here's what we've got," and would explain it all, but never really applied pressure. There was a lot of options for the refi and we decided to go with the one that was presented to us. They helped us understand what was going on and also made it clear what had to be done. We were on an accelerated claim, and with the refi, we went off of that. We're towards the mortgage payment and the time as well as interest were decreased.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Mr. Cooper called me and my they were really professional. Everything was great. The entire process for the refinance took weeks. I got some money out of it and I was able to pay off the thing I was doing with the remodel. I'd tell others to go with them.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Mr. Cooper bought my mortgage a few years back. I was with the same company I was financing through before then I refinanced through Mr. Cooper. I had a 5.5% interest and I wanted to get that lower with the lower rates that were out there, and one of my requirements before I would refinance is to get out of the 30-year loan. I didn't want to do another 30. I wanted to have a lower interest in the payments being about the same and have it be a 15 or 20-year loan, and Mr. Cooper was able to do that.

They offered me a good deal. A lot others couldn't give me what I was asking for and Mr. Cooper was one of those that were able to. And the fact that we already had a good rapport and a good working relationship there already, I went ahead with them. Their mortgage professionals were very on time and everything was great. It was really a good experience on refinancing. The guidance I received was very effective. They were very helpful, and very understanding and accommodating of what I was looking for. I've been contemplating for the last couple of years and researching, and they were very understanding about what I wanted and didn't try to point me in a different direction.

The best experience that's gonna come out of it will be the fact that it saved me five years off of the loan. It was a really good experience and the people that I worked with were very accommodating. And they came through with what they told me they could do. I didn't have them coming back and trying to change anything, which I've experienced with other companies before. They're very professional and very good at what they do.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information