3.93/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

7855 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We had half-started projects and we needed to finish working on our house. We had been doing business with Mr. Cooper and they offered us a refinance. We went for it and had a pleasant experience with their reps. Everybody was professional and courteous. In the past, buying houses required this document and then two days later, another document. With Mr. Cooper, they made it almost too easy. Any documents they needed, I was able to upload to a computer. Additionally, their guys were very knowledgeable and all my questions were answered. They walked me right through. With the refinance, my wife has been a much happier person now that we've started the projects again, which means my life is better. The joy of getting some things finished is a big thing.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had a truly positive refinance experience with Mr. Cooper. Every person I interacted with was highly responsive and proactive. They moved my process quickly and communicated clearly and frequently. They were friendly and attentive. Every aspect of the experience exceeded my expectations and made me wonder why I waited so long. Thank you Mr. Cooper!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I’ve had 2 loans through Mr. Cooper and my third loan got switched over to Mr. Cooper and I’m happy I stayed with them. They were great. They did not only tell me what I asked for but were also given different options. Their process made it super easy that I could just download material and they got right back to me. When I needed something, it was a phone call. The two people that I worked with, Kyle and Elizabeth, were really easy to work with. It was just incredibly smooth from beginning to end. My only complaint is that my husband’s name is Robert **. When the paperwork came, it said, “Bob ** aka Robert **.” I didn’t like that because he never goes by Bob and it was all this paperwork that he had to write ‘aka’ on plus the new title says, “Bob ** aka Robert **.” I wished it could have been handled in the beginning. But I had no idea until we signed escrow papers. Despite all that, I’d still recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I needed a lower payment, so I refinanced my old mortgage. I dealt with Mr. Cooper mostly through email and it was fine. However, I've had no benefits since refinancing and that was mostly because I put a lot of cash down to lower the payment.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

While Mr. Cooper claims to make your life easier, they don’t, at least when they’re buying out your mortgage loan. Facts: Called - tried to pay my mortgage on 2/1 (you know, the due date). Was told I couldn’t (by a Mr. Cooper rep) but was told I’d have a three week window due to the transition. Got a “where’s our money” call from Mr. Cooper today. On that same call I asked to set up auto withdraw using my checking account [unnamed mortgage provider had on file forever]. Seems that all didn’t transfer over. Was also told at that time I couldn’t but again, would have a three week grace period. Guessing by the call today that wasn’t quite accurate. As someone who works with PHI and PII, I get it but the option - by this wonderfully innovative company - should have been to convert all payment etc info and as long as the borrower agreed. Mr. Cooper. Work. On. Your. Transition if this is going to be a thing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The team at Mr. Cooper was courteous, professional and always willing to help. The entire process was straight forward, completed quickly and efficiently, but yet without ever feeling pressured or rushed. Don’t get me wrong, this was a business transaction, but it was like dealing with knowledgeable friends, who look out for your best interests and answer questions with honest and understandable responses. Initial contact to closing in about 3 wks. Having been through mortgages and re-financing before, I can say this was likely the easiest and most painless. Would certainly recommend you to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Mr. Cooper bought our mortgage from our previous lender. After 6 months of working with them they send me a letter saying my payment is going up $600 per month. They claimed I had 2 taxes for my property and when I explained that was incorrect they said that they were right and I was wrong. After a week of dealing with it. I called them for the 4th time and told them we were calling my tax assessor and fixing it. Tax assessor told them same thing I had been telling them. The customer service representative supervisor said I would receive a callback on the following Monday.

No call so I called them yet again. Found out the supervisor was off work that day. Was told it would take an additional 5-7 days to get it fixed after I did all the work for them. I asked to speak with someone who could fix the issue and was at first told it was internal and there was no one I could talk to that could fix it. Very disappointed with them. Still waiting for it to be resolved. Most likely shopping for new lender. 1 star at this point is too high!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Very pleasant experience refinancing our mortgage and consolidating our debt. Tom ** and Jonathan ** were very helpful and easy to talk to. The response time was amazing when needing to speak to them or responding to emails. The team was very eager to help and very timely with getting our loan closed.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

After much debate and procrastination due to the anxiety of the dreaded process of refinancing and requesting a home equity loan, we finally bit the bullet with both! To our surprise Mr. Cooper, specifically Marvin ** and his team, made the process a dream instead of a nightmare. They were extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous (even with my redundant, confusing questions). They made the process extremely streamlined, easy to understand, and were always there to respond whenever needed. Thankfully we made the best choice for our needs and couldn't be happier with the process and outcome! Thank you Mr. Cooper and team!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was dealing with somebody else when I was trying to get some more money, but they kept going back to Mr. Cooper, so I said I might as well go to Mr. Cooper. The mortgage professionals at Mr. Cooper were very friendly and really nice and the whole process took a month and a half from beginning to end to get the refinance. It was not as quick as it was the first time and I didn’t get the money I needed because they went from the numbers I got when I first applied for the loan, and there was some more added to it. I also wanted to change my payment date to the middle of the month, but they couldn’t do that. It is due on the first, but my check comes in the middle of the month. Nonetheless, Mr. Cooper is a good company.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We were financing and our mortgage was really big until a few years ago when Mr. Cooper took over. We wanted to pay up some bills, so we inquired about refinancing. Everything went pretty smooth with Mr. Cooper. We didn't have any problems and it was easy to get in touch with them. Also, whatever questions we had were answered and overall, it went pretty good. The biggest benefit we got is we paid off a car we recently bought and some credit cards and different things. We were satisfied with the business that we had with Mr. Cooper.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Kevin, Lisa and others involved in our refi were excellent. They did all the work with the numbers and rates to save us more than $500 a month. They were very quick getting things done and kept us informed all along the way. Less than a month start to finish!! Thanks so much for excellent customer service!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

So very grateful for the professionalism and courtesy shown by each Mr. Cooper employee (and their outside appraiser, closer, etc.). Every step of the process was engineered to be simple, efficient, and understandable. It was a life-changing experience for me, and I would highly recommend Mr. Cooper for anyone's financing needs. Thank you most sincerely!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The ease and simplicity of the entire transaction from my team made this the most streamlined experience a pleasure. Their professional, courteous and motivation to procure my needs was “off the charts”. I will seek out them again when the need arises. Again, thank you Mr. Cooper!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

When I was told Mr. Cooper has took over my loan from my original lender I looked them up to see what I was in for and tons of horrible reviews were in front of me. Well once it is was in their hands a representative contacted me introducing herself and the company she represents - Mr. Cooper. She explained nothing was changing but the address for payment, and asked did I have any questions? I asked a few and she answered them. She also informed me of the app they have.

The app is probably the best part. Once you have it setup you just log in and everything is there at your finger tips. You want to look at your escrow payments and balance? It's a click away, you want to make a payment, you click "make a payment" and you can confirm payment and done. Or you can add to principal, escrow, or both. I'm sure if you don't make your payments on a monthly basis would cause a problem as with anything else, but as for me I make my monthly payments and have no complaints and am happy with Mr. Cooper. So if your mortgage gets sold to them don't panic from the bad reviews. Ask your questions when they call and make your payment and it will all work out.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I had a high mortgage, so I wanted to refinance. My percentage was very high and I wanted to take it down as far as I could. When I called Mr. Cooper, they were very helpful. They guided me through the whole process and I really enjoyed working with Ryan. He has really helped me the best he could. He gave me a number of different options to pick from and gave me all the information to make the choice, and that's what I did.

Since refinancing my loan, I'm in a better financial place. And my mortgage is lower which really helped because when you're trying to pay your mortgage and pay student loans and other bills, it can really take a toll on your take-home pay. So, this is helping me out to be able to save more and do different things. I would tell a friend to call Ryan, get him on their case, and see what he can do for them because he works wonders and he's very knowledgeable.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Everything went very smoothly. My wife and I had no problems with any of the long long forms at settlement. All settlements were done at home in about two and a half hours. The long distance papers were done over the internet or email service. Mr. Cooper made everything so simple and easy for us which was an enjoyment on our refinance.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I was very pleased with the service I experienced recently when I applied for a refinance for my home loan with Mr. Cooper. The staff, Kyle ** and Lee **, worked with me, tirelessly, putting in long hours to help me get my loan. Their patience and persistence paid off and now my finances are so much better for it. They literally saved my professional and financial life and I am very grateful.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

The loan and application process was great and I had a great loan processor, Mr Brian ** and Mr Marc **. It was an easy process and just want to say Brian and Marc, Thank you for your assistance and patience with Me.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

They overcharge for escrow. These figures are not exact. Close to $2000 in taxes etc. They "assume" 10%+ annual increases. They take $2500 this year. They don't check tax receipts at all. When you call them - Rude, rude, rude. These people are real jerks to deal with. Good luck.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I had phone calls with the reps from Mr. Cooper and they were most helpful. I was impressed that the first time I spoke to a loan officer, he had everything all figured out. His name was Jordan, and he told me what I could pay off and what my new payment would be. I was really impressed that he had done that before I even spoke with him. Now, I've paid off all my credit cards and got some extra money so I could get some things done around the house.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I've been through a lot of closing and the one from Mr. Cooper for our refinance was by far the smoothest, quickest, and had the best communication. Customer service is critical for business relationships, so keep up the great work!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Jacob and Nick were very helpful in guiding me through the refinance process. Our loan is small and only a 15 year, but they treated us as well as they would treat a larger customer. The at home document signing was really convenient.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

It was a little rocky at first but once Jack ** was involved everything went perfect, he kept in contact with me several times a week letting me know what was going on and when he promised closing it happened.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I wanted to consolidate some debt and already had a mortgage with Mr. Cooper. Their customer service is above par. I continually got updates and I got the documentation that I always needed. They were able to work with me and got what I needed to be done swiftly. They were accommodating and found somebody within two miles of work to help me close. They were very transparent when the refinance options were being discussed and told me if I had a choice.

For example, I had $800 left to pay on my taxes for my property and my intention was to pay it out of my pocket. They explained to me how much faster the process would go if they did it because that was easy to pay off with the right financing. It was good to hear all the different options knowing that it wasn't to benefit them in any way. It was more for the customer. I was able to get a better APR, the ability to cash out and the ability to roll the closing cost into the loan. Plus, it was exceptional how quickly they moved to get an appraiser out. Mr. Cooper is gonna keep in touch with you and be transparent because they want to make sure that they're there to help.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I found the representative very knowledgeable and willing to offer different 'what if' scenarios. When we agreed on all the information, the process moved very quickly and smoothly, including closing. My compliments on the professionalism of David ** and Lashaia **.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Little over a year ago when INTEREST RATE were lower, I asked Mr. Cooper to refinance my contract with them to lower my payments and interest rate. Mr. Cooper SAID NO. Months later when Mr. Cooper finds out I am seeking other companies to refinance with they say yes, but at a interest rate at 5.85 instead of a lower rate if we would have refinance when I first contacted them. THE COMPANY IS NOT OUT TO HELP THE CONSUMER. ONLY THEMSELVES.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The Mr. Cooper team was fantastic in guiding me quickly through the refinancing of my home. Through their efforts, I was able to close on my refinance in less than 30 days! They communicated with me each step of the way and quickly responded to emails and phone calls. The team was courteous and professional. I highly recommend the Mr. Cooper team for any home financing questions.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The process was started by a person who was very helpful and went out of his way to get all paperwork done. However once it went to underwriting a lady handling it was awful. She waited a long time to inform us we needs a termite inspection and was test done, all which cost unexpected dollars. She asked for numerous form over and over again and I had to travel to a fax machine at UPS to do this each time.

Resolution response: Feb. 8, 2019

Mr Copper corrected their error. All good now

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The worst mortgage company ever! I have dealt with dozens of mortgage companies in my years of buying real estate but Mr. Cooper is far and away the absolute worse. They are trying to get me to buy flood insurance even though my condo is on the 5th floor, 65 feet in the air. I called customer service twice but they are arrogant and unhelpful. If at all possible stay away!

Mr. Cooper response
Mark, I have located the account number associated with the property and researched the issue and provide a resolution via private message.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. You can reach me via phone.
Thank you.

Kalie

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information

Public
8950 Cypress Waters Blvd
Dallas
TX
855-781-8001
www.mrcooper.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.