3.75/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Mr. Cooper

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Mr. Cooper, formerly known as Nationstar Mortgage, is one of the largest home loan servicers in the country focused on delivering a variety of servicing and lending products, services and technologies to make the home loan process more rewarding and less worrisome for our customers.

Mr. Cooper is more than just a new brand name. It represents a better way of doing business. We’re keeping things simple, focusing on solutions and putting customers first. We’re on a journey to better, and we won’t stop until we achieve our goal: To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

Mr. Cooper Video
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 20, 2017

6601 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I have my existing mortgage with Mr. Cooper and have been with them for at least five years now. I’ve had no problems working with them so I did a refinance. The interactions we’ve had were strictly professional and they gave me the information I needed and I was pleased. I’ve also received accurate and timely guidance from them. The refi lowered my mortgage and it’s really helped since I’ve retired. It was a good experience.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Nationstar took over my loan and they communicated different possibilities for a new loan. But when I first talked to the loan consultant, I was very clear that I wanted to know how much the loan was going to cost me and he continued to say there would be no upfront cost. I got into a pretty heated discussion with him because I wanted the truth rather than the highlights and finally I was able to get clarity because I continued to push it. But others, especially folks who aren’t necessarily financially sound, would have gotten the impression that there was no cost to the loan transfer and change and that was very frustrating.

I was very ready to disconnect and not move forward at a couple of points but my husband and I discussed it and felt that the idea of basically the same interest rate, but getting rid of the PMI, and being able to put more money on the principal was definitely a good thing. Plus after the loan officer, all of the communications with the professionals were very good and I appreciated them. It was a frustrating but there was satisfaction in the end.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We had Nationstar which turned into Mr. Cooper and it was easier to refinance with them because they were already our lender. Everybody was really nice and it was a good experience. Now, we’ll pay off our house five years earlier than we were going to.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Refinancing my mortgage was a smooth process. Mr. Cooper (previously Nationstar) has friendly representatives that are informative and gave clear explanations to all my questions. I especially appreciated the ability to complete and send all paperwork through email, in addition to signing documents online. I would highly recommend Mr. Cooper for people who appreciate good customer service and ease of process!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We've been with Mr. Cooper for a long time. We were consolidating and looking for a lower rate. I talked to another company, but the guy from Mr. Cooper that I was working with gave me some advice. He was a little bit more educated and helpful about everything and he could guarantee the rate, whereas the way the other company worked was they trick you into doing something. I like that everyone that I spoke with at Mr. Cooper was very polite and I could understand them. However, our payment to Mr. Cooper is more than it was before but that's because we consolidated. But, it's nice having it this way because that's the debt for a business that failed and it's a constant reminder in having it rolled into our mortgage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I refinanced my existing loan with Mr. Cooper with Mr. Cooper Dec 2016. The broker was not that great but I thought if I can lower my mortgage I can overlook whatever issues I have with the broker. Well, this refi was supposed to be no money out of pocket, that was not the case. I actually paid nearly 2k out of pocket for taxes that were escrowed from my existing loan and with me refinancing at the end of the year there should not have been any funds due. Approx 6 months later I receive a letter from my local tax office indicating my taxes had been paid twice and I would need to work with Mr. Cooper to have them collect the funds the tax office. First time I called mortgage company they indicated they would have the escrow department research this and contact the tax office.

Approx 2-3 weeks later I call for a status and they say they contacted the tax office and confirmed the tax overpayment and they would receive the funds from the tax office and apply them to my escrow. Approx 3-4 was later I call for an update since I could not locate it online and I was told there was no overpayment on my taxes. At this point I became a bit irritated, so I spoke to the weekend manager Joe or Jose who indicated he and I would do a conference call with my tax office on that Monday to find out what is going on. Well unfortunately Joe said he could not give me a number to reach him but he could give me his email and he would call or email me when the time comes.

When Monday came I received nonresident naw from this guy so I called them and spoke with another representative who basically reiterated there was no overpayment on my taxes. Luckily I retained documentation from the refi and documents from my tax office. Sent that to Mr. Cooper along with a very detailed, disgruntled and disappointed note. 5 days later Joe/Jose responds indicating he’s forwarded the issue to the research department, however by now I’ve already gotten the resolution in motion to my satisfaction, so there is no need for this guy nearly a week later from the Monday he and I were supposed to call the tax office. Approx 1 week later the issue was resolved.

Mr. Cooper actually called the tax office to verify and understand when the extra payment was received. Which was during the refi, I told several representatives this very thing however they only checked records of overpayment made during tax time on the regular loan and not the refi of the loan. They had no record of the other payment which is bad business organization since I refi'd my home using my existing mortgage company. 2 months later, now October 2017, I am still waiting to see the tax overpayment reflected in my escrow balance. The moral of the story is keep records and do not simply accept what they tell you, whomever they may be in any situation. Once this is resolved I am looking to refinance with someone else just to get away from this mortgage company.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

We've been with Nationstar for years and we were on an interest-only mortgage then we went with a fixed rate. Everything was as simple as it could be. All the way from signing and having the papers to someone being sent out to us has been fine. It's also easy when you have a scanner on your phone and you scan things back to each other. However, we had to have it done twice when they missed something but that's no big deal.

The only mix-up that we have is through the refi. From my understanding, we wouldn't be paying for September or October because of the refi. Fortunately, and unfortunately, my husband sent a payment in. But we're not seeing where that has adjusted itself on our account. It only shows, at this point, the escrow amount that they've received, not the extra payment by accident my husband sent them. So, now, since we're not supposed to be getting a payment till November, we've gotten payment sheets every month, October. And they wanted to know what our October payment was. And now, I got the regular billing for November. I was told there always should be a delay on our refi, usually two months. So, nothing is delayed. It's gone right into the next. It almost makes us look like we're late but we're not. So, I don't know where it's being applied to. Otherwise, the whole process of the refi was as smooth as could be.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Was very pleased to be able to refinance our mortgage with a very low rate with Mr. Cooper. Dealing with Max ** and Karen ** was wonderful. Was able to contact them directly and receive answers to all questions. Wonderful to call them and have them answer the telephone!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

It was a great experience since it was my first time refinancing. They helped me each step of the way. Even when it came to the electronic signature which I was so amused by. They answered all my droughts and questions. Everything was done in a timely manner. I appreciate their hard work and dedication. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

When we first started looking for homes, there was a foreclosure that was financed through Nationstar and we got hold of them. We got approved but we ended up getting another home through them. We wanted to keep our home, purchase another one and rent this one out but we could not do it under the terms we had so we had to refinance. Everyone was helpful and friendly. They seemed like they knew what they were talking about and so far, everything is leading up to what they said. The loan has gone up because of the refinancing charges that were added to it but that's not bad. Our payments dropped some but because we have paid more than we should have, the time is pretty much the same.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Working with Carlos, Desiree and the notary was a great experience. I was informed of the process on my loan from day one through funding. I would recommend to my friends doing business with Mr. Cooper. Thank you very much for the great service.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Refinancing my loan with Mr. Cooper gave me peace of mind. Their reps were very professional and friendly. They stayed in contact with me while we’re doing the process and the guidance I have received was very good.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Cash Out Debt Consolidation - A BIG, FAT THUMBS UP to Christopher ** and Coleman **. Both young men were so polite and patient. I am a dinosaur with technology issues. I give them a 110%. Great job. Great teamwork. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My loan was transfer from to Mr. Cooper that will give them another name Mr. Crocker. I'm been dealing for close to 6 months in a modification loan and they have not yet come up with no answer. Instead they are taking more time until the property is lose. Is already in foreclosure. Selling date 12/09/2017 and every time that I make a payment is to book the modification, and no results, I call back they request another payment and paid, and nothing happens. The person in charged is loan specialist, but, I believe is specialist to keep the property lose, so they can make money.

I have records for all the conversations that we had. But, I'm frustrated with this crocket company. My question is how many more homeowner are in my shoes, please do something, before this people take your property. Get Consumers Affairs involve because this is multi million dollar crooked business. The name or wherever they said they are. Is not compare, to what they really do, with homeowners.

Resolution response: Oct. 13, 2017

Upon writing my initial negative review I must admit that Mr. Cooper promptly addressed my concerns. I give them credit for that.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Their customer service is horrendous. I am an existing customer working on a re-fi and I have dealt with no less than 3 people. None of which return phone calls or emails. I should have been alarmed when they changed their name to Mr. Cooper, what a terrible name.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am really unhappy with Mr. Cooper. First of all the name is dumb and 2nd of all they are horrible. I had an issue this month where my auto-pay payment was not showing on mrcooper.com. It showed that my next month's payment was the next payment to be taken out. For some reason, this months payment did not show on my account. I called Mr. Cooper and was told that the next payment was to be taken out next month and that there were no pending payments. I ended up canceling their online auto-pay all together and made a payment thru my bank account. Of course I checked my bank account this morning and Mr. Cooper took out both payments and over drafted my checking account. I hate Mr. Cooper. Not only the name but, their business practice. I didn't choose them as a lender, my account was sold to them. I am looking to see if there is any way to be removed as a customer from them!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've been trying to refinance for the last year and it was a little tough getting set up with Mr. Cooper because of the initial agent I talked with. I don't know what happened to him but I ended up dealing with another agent. He was great and whatever he told me would happen, it happened. He explained the process and the documents I had to fill out and sign. I was already in the system and it was just a streamline that didn't take that much time. The whole process took two months and everything was upfront. With Mr. Cooper, I have a lower monthly payment and lowered interest rate.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I talked to a man from Mr. Cooper on the phone and told him that I got their paperwork about HARP but never understood it. He explained to me that I could save a little bit and pay off the house in 15 years because I had to refinance it a couple of times for family matters. He gave me his name, phone number and he said that I could call him if I have problems. And then another man took over and he said he'd be my point of contact.

Everything went fine with the loan processing although I had trouble setting up the AutoPay for about two weeks. I did email a complaint in but nobody could help me when I called customer service. I finally figured it out that my account number on my check had spaces, and their online service wanted zeroes in there and not spaces or run together. And sure enough, it took it. But other than that, all loan process went fine. I love the fact that I can do and sign everything online. They sent me the documents electronically because my husband is feeble and not always there with it. So it was nice that I could sign for him. My first payment’s going to be the fifth of October. It’s not quite a $100 but I have a lower percentage through HARP. It was a good experience overall. It was quick and easy, and that’s what I like.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We used to have a mortgage with another company and they put our mortgage through a company which we didn’t even know. We had a very high rate, so we tried to lower it. We tried other companies but they gave us a hard time. Mr. Cooper was one of the more reliable to deal with. We got transferred to Rob and even though somebody else ended up finishing the paperwork, I was able to deal with Rob a little more than anybody else. I feel comfortable dealing with him than any other because it was so hard to get in touch with everybody. They kept changing representatives for the mortgage. We deal with somebody but then the next week it will be somebody else. We always go back to Rob and he was able to guide us. We couldn’t understand what’s going on and we had a lot of questions, but he was very nice and tried to help us a lot. We'd recommend Rob to anybody. On the other hand, we kept on calling Mr. Cooper but they never called us.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Nationstar bought my loan from Citibank then changed to Mr. Cooper. The transition has not been painless. They send me information confirmation mailings to my wife and I then don't provide the correct fax number to send it back to so it goes to a voice mailbox. Come on Mr. Cooper, be better than this. Stop costing me my time for you to get your act together and verify my information when you purchase a loan from someone else. Getting a loan is a painful enough process, don't throw salt in the wound.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We had an ARM that readjusted every year and we've been holding off to see if we're going to sell the property. We held on to it for a while then decided to refinance and lock in the rate with Mr. Cooper. We were already with Nationstar so it was easy for them to call us and they were able to do the HARP program. Discussing the options was also very easy and they walked me through everything and handled it all. Mr. Copper is very friendly and easy to work with.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We already had our loan through Mr. Cooper and we wanted to get some cash out for home repair so we got a refinance. They gave us the best rates compared to others and their mortgage professionals were very good. Their guidance was great. They gave us all the information we needed and answered the questions we had. Everything went smoothly at the beginning, though it was sometimes hard to get answers at the end.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Mr. Cooper was our existing mortgage holder under their previous name, Nationstar. I saw reports of the drop in interest rates since we had the last refinance. Running my quick numbers through online mortgage calculators suggested that we could probably refinance from a 30-year to a 15-year at essentially the same monthly payment.

We contacted one other potential mortgage provider, Quicken Loans, and Nationstar offered us a slightly better deal and gave us a little bit lower rate. Plus, they reimbursed us for what we needed to buy to get that lower rate whereas Quicken Loans was not able to offer quite such a good deal. I had telephone conversations with the representatives and quite a few email interactions and for the most part, it went smoothly. Overall, the individuals that we dealt with were very nice and very professional. There are a couple of nitpicks in the actual process involved. The document was handed off from our original point of contact to an agent who actually handled the collection process that involved the documents.

The nitpick would be that rather than our original contact introducing us to the new rep that was going to be handling everything, we got a cold email from the new rep. In this day and age where identity theft and phishing attacks are rampant, getting a cold email from someone is sketchy. Because it wasn't somebody that we ever interacted with before, we had to take the extra step of sending an email to our original contact to clarify the situation. There should have been a formal hand-off, particularly, when dealing with financial transactions that require revealing information that could allow somebody to steal one's identity. You want to have a high degree of confidence that the person you're interacting with is who they say they are.

The people that we dealt with were all very nice and very professional, but our previous refinancing with Quicken Loans about five years ago was infinitely easier, quicker and more convenient process. When we refinanced with Quicken Loans, they essentially did all of the paperwork and they had things really streamlined. We had a couple of phone calls with them. Then at the closing, someone came out and we signed the paperwork. With Mr. Cooper, there were an endless reiteration of forms and chasing around for paperwork. The electronic signing of those forms was somewhat clumsy. We also had to correct some information on the forms that were incorrect which, coming from our current mortgage holder, was a little bit disappointing. It's one thing when you're getting a mortgage for the first time and you have to collect all these stuff.

I think it would be well-worth Nationstar's expenditure to get their act together a lot better. In all honesty, having gone through it with both Quicken Loans and Nationstar, I almost would have paid the extra money out-of-pocket to go with Quicken just because it would have been an infinitely easier process based on previous interactions. We were expecting it to be a simpler of a process than it the last time, however, it turned out to be an arduous process. Mr. Cooper's online account management and app are good. It would be convenient though if it breaks up the loan amount and the escrow amount when viewing your account information both online and on the app so that it shows you what you're paying separately. An additional point of granularity could be where they itemize what portions of the escrow are going to property and what portions are going to your homeowner's insurance.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I had HELOC with my bank that was due by the end of December at a much higher rate than I had. I called Mr. Cooper to see if they could do my refi and combine the whole thing to have just one payment. The person I worked with was very capable and intelligent. He was very good and he took care of everything I needed. It's a lower rate and now I no longer have the HELOC. Their service was great, complete and thorough. It was everything I hoped it would be and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Mr. Cooper has my current loans so I called them to refinance. Their representatives knew what they're doing and they call back when they said they would. They made it easy so it's a no-hassle refi. Justine, the original guy, and then the lady also that's close to their books, were good and helpful. I was on travel and they sent somebody to Chicago to help me sign the papers. Using them reduced my number of years so I'll save one million at the end.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I refinanced with Mr. Cooper to lower the interest of my old mortgage. It was easy when I refinanced with them before when they were known as Nationstar Mortgage, and they said I would just stay with them. They have great customer service and were also easy to talk to. They explained everything, and I didn't have to go back and forth and call. Every time I have a question, they had an answer for me right away. It was very smooth. Mr. Copper has been excellent and pleasant.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

The loan was completed in about a month. Since we refinanced with the same company, they had most of our information already. E-signing was simple. The people we worked with were all very pleasant and professional. The final signing was convenient as the notary came to our home at our convenience. We were given excellent information on types and costs of loans so we chose a shorter term (15 years) for almost what we paid for our previous 30 year loan.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I was looking to do a bunch of work on the house and sell it and Mr. Cooper came up. So, I just refinanced instead of taking out a home equity loan. And it's cheaper. Their reps were fantastic and their guidance was straightforward. I didn't have to go back and forth a lot. There was ease in their operations and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Refinancing with Mr. Cooper went well. Their professionals were helpful and nice, and they answered all my questions. I received good guidance and I didn't need to pay first last September. Overall, my experience was quick and easy.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I had done business with Mr. Cooper in the past and I currently have a mortgage with them. We did a HARP loan which accomplished a couple of things. The PMI mortgage was removed and we utilized a shorter loan term. And although the interest was not the best I could find, it was competitive. Plus the guidance I received from the mortgage officers was very quick and direct. The people at Mr. Cooper were very professional and knowledgeable.

Mr. Cooper Company Information