3.90/5
Based on 1,059 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

Nationstar Mortgage LLC dba Mr. Cooper

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video
View More View More

8164 Mr. Cooper Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

For a while, my husband had been wanting to refinance our old mortgage and I would always say no. Nevertheless, he did it one time and it worked out. We were paying Citi, and then they transferred us over to Mr. Cooper about a year ago. Mr. Cooper's reps were all very professional, and since refinancing with them, we've been doing the restoration on our home.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I had my old mortgage refinanced through Mr. Cooper and it was a good experience. They explained things very well. I refinanced as it has been too long and they didn't want to prolong.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We needed a new roof so we were doing a refinance and we used Mr. Cooper since it's our mortgage company and we've liked the service. They responded in a timely manner, handled the business and didn’t try and screw us over. We are getting our estimates on the refinance now and our payment went up a little bit but it's okay.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I was in a situation with a poor loan and I was upside down with my house. I worked with two gentlemen at Mr. Cooper for the refinance, Eric and Jason, and they were very nice, professional and very to the point which I liked. They were persistent in giving me the opportunity to refinance and allowing me to talk to a loan officer which gave me a good idea of where I stood in the market. Eventually, the market turned around and thanks to the helpful staff of Mr. Cooper, I was able to refinance and I was very pleased, allowing my credit score to go up. Since refinancing with Mr. Cooper, I got rid of a bad loan.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We wanted to pay off our high interest credit cards and have cash to replace the windows in our home. I dreaded starting the process but everyone there was so helpful and the process went very smoothly and in a timely manner. The loan process was finished and closed much more quickly than what we expected. We are very pleased with the courtesy and friendliness of the staff, the professionalism, and their help through each step of the process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: April 22, 2019

I had a mortgage with Nationstar. I wanted to consolidate debt and get rid of some of my old debts, so I did a refinance with Mr. Cooper. I had great interactions with their reps. The two people that helped me over the phone doing the process were really great and helpful. The lady that came and did our closing was great as well. Mr. Cooper wrapped my homeowner's insurance back up into my mortgage payment. Other than the debt consolidation part of it, that was the only change. So far, I'm happy with Mr. Cooper holding my mortgage. They had it for a year or two now, and it has been great. Paying things online or the website is good too. I'd recommend Mr. Cooper.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We had a loan with Mr. Cooper. I called them regarding something else, and we got them talking about refinancing. My rate was really high, and I liked what I heard from them, and I chose them. The reps were really respectful, very knowledgeable and very good at what they did. At this point, I have no reason not to recommend Mr. Cooper.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I was already with Nationstar and they converted to Mr. Cooper. I refinanced with them, and the process went well. It took about two weeks from start to finish.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Refinancing with Mr. Cooper was our best option. Their reps were very helpful, thorough, informative and kind. Since refinancing with them, we got to lower our interest rate and have cash out. It helped us in the situation that we were in.

Original review: April 19, 2019

The people at Mr. Cooper were all very kind, professional and they held my hand through my whole refinance. I went with the process since my interest rate was too high and part of that refinance was for me to get a lower rate and a lower monthly mortgage. And I got what I asked for.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The process of refinancing our home was to use some of the equity in the home to pay off bills. The whole process took about 45 days. I worked with two great ladies - Janet ** and Elizabeth **. Everything was done online except for signing the actual documents. A notary came out to the house to have go over that step. Overall good experience.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been dealing with Mr. Cooper for 3 months now trying to get late fees reimbursed on School taxes that were not paid on time. Each time I call I get the runaround and now the escalation department is not even calling me back or answering my emails. Mr. Cooper was suppose to pay my school taxes on Oct 15, 2018 and did not pay them until Feb 1st 2019. The town assessed a late fee on the bill and for some reason the escalation department and the tax department cannot comprehend how they need to reimburse me the money for their mistake. I have paid my mortgage on time for 15 years and this the customer service I get. I have also sent in documentation 3 times now proving my point and again I get people telling me there was not a late fee. Tell me what town does not assess a late/penalty fee when your taxes are not paid by the due date.

Mr. Cooper response
I appreciate you informing us of your experience. It is my goal to make every attempt to resolve your concerns to the best of my ability. I will follow up privately with a resolution to your concerns.
Kalie Ezenwa
972-894-1055

You are welcome to call our escalations line at 888-509-2432. Since it's a small team, we are only here Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm CST. If there's something I can assist you with, I'm happy to help - you can email me at Social.Media@Mrcooper.com. Thanks!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Jason ** and Shino ** spearheaded the effort to securing a successful refinance on my existing property. Jason kicked off the process and was engaged and available to answer and address verbiage in the documents my wife and I were signing. Shino took over the process during the second part and secured additional information and asked further in depth questions. We were extremely happy with their sense of urgency to close this out sooner than later and we appreciated the uploading or e-mail options to send necessary document. At the end, we had certain expectations of reconciling certain numbers that were to be assumed in the loan and it didn't happen as we were instructed during the process. I don't believe this was intentional but definitely would set proper expectations for future clients as a way to improve customer service for Mr. Cooper.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Nationstar and I've been with them now for 14 years. I'm a veteran, and I decided to go to the VA and get a lower mortgage rate. Now Mr. Cooper, the company has very friendly and knowledgeable reps whom I had very good experience with during the refinance. They did everything they said they were gonna do. I went from a 5.75 down to a 4.6, although I didn't really get a lower payment because I took cash out of my equities. If anybody I know is looking for a mortgage, I would tell them to check Mr. Cooper out.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Run. Do not walk from Mr. Cooper, this company is running some kind of escrow scam on customers. Paid my taxes separate from my mortgage, my taxes were not delinquent. I repeat not delinquent. Mr. Cooper took it upon themselves to adding an escrow acct. increasing my monthly payment $600.00 a month for 1 year. When asked why this happened I was told for my convenience. I am now in the process of refinancing with a lender with morals and scruples. Avoid this company at all cost.

Hello Bob –

We appreciate you for bringing this matter to our attention and we understand that you may be frustrated in your attempts to resolve this matter. We are taking your dissatisfaction seriously, and have documented your concerns appropriately.

After reviewing the account, we confirmed with Lake County that your taxes were delinquent and it began in the second half of 2012. Unfortunately, we are unable to grant your request to remove the escrow.

If you ever want to discuss the issue or if you need anything else going forward you may contact me directly. My office hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT.

Sincerely,
LaQuinte Proby

469.549.3329

Original review: April 17, 2019

I refinanced with Mr. Cooper in 2018 and then again in 2019. I wanted an interest rate reduction. With Mr. Cooper, it’s convenient being able to access everything online and get statements the way that I need. Also, any time I’ve needed something, they're more than happy to help. They made everything super simple. They explained and answered all my questions. My first payment is gonna be coming out in a little over a week which is actually one of the benefits.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Like most people, I went into the re-finance process with a bit of dread... paperwork, phone calls, hold time, emails, documents, more paperwork. No one looks forward to a mortgage, right? Well, if I had it to do over again, I actually wouldn't mind at all, and it would definitely be with Mr. Cooper. When they changed their name to Mr. Cooper, they put out a big marketing campaign to boast about their dedication to the customer. I can attest that it was more than just a marketing campaign... it is fact. From the first call through the last call, email or doc upload, to the final closing day, literally *everything* went smoothly. Customer Service? They've reinvented the term. It is clear that's not just a marketing ploy with Mr. Cooper... They are truly dedicated to customer satisfaction.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Great team I worked with on my new home loan. Very happy we decided to keep working with Mr. Cooper. Special thanks to Stacy **. She really helped and pushed for the closing date we needed. Great team behind her too.

Original review: April 16, 2019

This is the second time I have refinanced. I could not be more impressed with the communication throughout the process. I was always updated as things would change or advance. My representatives did such a good job keeping in touch that I do not recall having to ever call them to check on my loan status. They were highly knowledgeable and professional. I knew what I was doing and how the process worked from day 1. This gave me confidence in making my decision to refinance. I never felt pressured to continue and was also allowed to review all the documentation along the way. I felt like I had complete control of what was happening. This was my decision and they were there to help me along the way. I would not hesitate to call and ask any questions I may have in regards to purchasing or refinancing. These guys are experts and very well trained.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have used Mr. Cooper on two different occasions. Their customer service is above and beyond. They make the process very simple. It is always very quick and not drawn out. They have always gotten back with me very quickly about anything I needed to do or just by keeping me in the loop. I recommend them highly!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

The workers that worked with us, made getting the loan so easy and convenient. It was so refreshing to work with them. The theme "Changing the face of home loans" is true and a beautiful aim. That really help the borrower to navigate through the loan process with ease.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I had a loan with a lending company, then Mr. Cooper bought that company. I got through a refinance with Mr. Cooper recently and it was a good experience dealing with the people that I worked with. Overall, their professionalism and level of knowledge were pretty good. They provided me with very good guidance when discussing my financing options. Since refinancing my loan, I've been paying less monthly.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I had mistakenly made a couple payments to my escrow account, as soon as I realized my mistake I called to let them know this was not my intentions and I needed it to be transferred. The lady seemed very helpful and told me everything was submitted and to allow 3 days for it to show on my online account. She informed me NOT to make another payment until the funds had been moved to ensure funds were being applied correctly. 7 days passed and still nothing, I called again. Spoke with another what seemed to be helpful agent, 45 minutes later she assured me that things were now all in order, informed me it could take up to 5 days to show the adjustment. Again told not to make a payment until it showed.

5 days later once again nothing, this time I had the agents email address and emailed her. She informed me that I would need to now call the escrow department, what you told me it was all figured out. She said she would be contacting a manager to fix it... Then the emails stopped, she would not respond to anymore and no resolution was found. I then receive a letter letting me know that if I don't contact then foreclosure proceedings would begin. What? I have contacted you on numerous occasions.

I called for a third 45 minute call and have been assured again that it is all uncontrol and to wait 24 hours and it will show on my account. We will see tomorrow if that is so but I'm not holding my breath. This is extremely stressful for our family and makes me so angry that they can't figure it out and help their customer who is just trying to make their monthly payment.

Hello Mindy –

After reviewing the account, I am happy to advise that the escrow reversal has been accomplished and the April payment posted, next payment due 5/1/19.

Sincerely,
LaQuinte Proby

469.549.3329

Original review: April 15, 2019

Mr. Cooper contacted me about a refinance. Everything they told me was a lie. I literally spent 3 hours on the last day of closing trying to contact then because it had been almost a week since I talked to them. My payment was due and about to be late which would have charged me a late fee, but I was advised not to make a payment per the previous conversation a week prior. So, after 3 hours of calling and calling I had to demand to speak with a manager who said I should make a payment or would have to pay a fee. Closing ended up being over 4 times the cost they projected, so after a lot of wasted time and stress I had to cancel the process. What a joke these people are.

Mr. Cooper response
We appreciate you informing us of your experience. It is our goal to make every attempt to resolve your concerns to the best of our ability to ensure fairness in our transactions and to our customers. Our teams currently reviewing the account and a member of our team will follow up privately with a resolution
Kalie Ezenwa

Original review: April 15, 2019

Working with Mr. Cooper on a Refi Loan for my home was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Tom ** was an excellent adviser and advocate while helping my wife and I work through the process and paperwork. Tom along with Phuong ** were helpful and followed through with what they said they would do. It was a pleasant surprise being treated like a customer instead of a number. Thanks.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The representatives were knowledgeable and professional at all times and easy to work with. Communication was not always timely and some things that the underwriters were concerned about didn't make any sense as it had no impact positive or negative with qualification, it just made it more difficult. Overall it was a really good experience and everything worked out.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Nothing went the way I was told it would. Very unhappy. I am also unhappy with having to write 40 words. I should be able to write what I want. Your rep was very friendly but never kept his word on anything.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Mr. Cooper is my mortgage company and I wanted to consolidate debt, so I looked into refinancing my mortgage with them. The reps there were friendly and professional, and it was good working with them. They went through everything with me and answered all my questions. The refinance of my loan with Mr. Cooper only happened a week ago. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I just went through a refinance with Mr. Cooper and have nothing but high marks for the process. All the people I talked with from the beginning to the end were professional and very timely with their responses whether it was by email or phone. Will definitely use Mr. Cooper for future home purchases.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Excellent service, deadline was met as promise, loan officer (Benjamin) and coordinator (Karen **) are very good and helpful. They really know what customers want and their knowledge are very impressive. Keep up the good work both of you. Thank you very much.

Mr. Cooper expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

• Best for: those who aren't sure what their options are and those who prefer to begin the loan process online.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information