2. Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.33/5

Mr. Cooper is a mortgage lender that specializes in new home loans and refinancing. The company offers a closing date guarantee and fast online approvals. You can monitor your loan’s progress through the Mr. Cooper app.

EHO Logo

Nationstar Mortgage LLC dba Mr. Cooper

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video

BOTTOM LINE

Mr. Cooper is one of the largest mortgage lenders in the nation, offering competitive interest rates on new home loans and refinancing. You can apply for a mortgage and monitor your application online.

PROS

• Closing date guarantee
  • Fast approvals
  • Rewards program

CONS

• Limited rate information on site
  • Prepayment penalties on some loans

Top Mr. Cooper Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

The people that helped me with refinancing my house were very helpful and knowledgeable. They answered all my questions. If I had to leave a message they always returned my phone calls in a timely matter. I would highly recommend Mr. Cooper to anyone buying a home.

Mr. Cooper is my primary mortgage company and I wanted to do a refinance to lower the payment. Their reps were good and we finished the process in about a month. I’m satisfied with the rates and terms that I got and things worked out well.

What is Mr. Cooper?

Mr. Cooper is one of the nation’s largest home loan servicers and offers refinancing for existing loans and mortgages for new home purchases. It prioritizes simplicity in the homebuying or selling process, providing customers with a fast, low-stress experience. Borrowers can get prequalified online in minutes and receive a same-day approval letter when ready to buy.

Mr. Cooper also features a Real Estate Rewards program. The company uses the Xome network of real estate agents to offer savings on commissions and closing costs, keeping your homebuying or selling costs low. It has a U.S.-based customer service team and focuses on its customers’ needs.

You can track the status of your mortgage application online and manage your account with its mobile app. Borrowers can make payments online with no extra fees. Mr. Cooper also guarantees an on-time closing or the company pays your first mortgage payment.

Mr. Cooper mortgage rates

Mr. Cooper’s mortgage rates vary based on the housing market at the time of closing, your credit history and your loan terms, but it typically offers competitive rates. It provides options for lowering your interest rate, including fixed- or adjustable-rate terms and fees that can be paid directly to the lender. Ask your lending agent about which discounts you may qualify for. You can also check its website for more information and resources on interest rates.

Mr. Cooper FAQ

Can I pay Mr. Cooper with a credit card?
Mortgage lenders typically do not accept credit card payments. Online payments must be made through a bank account.
How do I make a payment on Mr. Cooper?
You can make payments online, over the phone and by mail. You can also set up autopay using Mr. Cooper's website.
Is Mr. Cooper a real mortgage company?
Mr. Cooper is a real mortgage company. It offers new home financing and refinancing for existing mortgages.
Does Mr. Cooper offer home equity loans?
Mr. Cooper offers cash-out refinancing that lets you trade home equity for cash. Call for more information or request a consultation online.
Does Mr. Cooper report to credit bureaus?
Mr. Cooper does report mortgage accounts to credit bureaus. The payment history on your account typically has a significant impact on your credit score.
What bank is Mr. Cooper?
Mr. Cooper is a nonbank mortgage lender. The company is a registered service mark of Nationstar Mortgage, LLC.
Does Mr. Cooper have a prepayment penalty?
There may be a prepayment penalty, depending on the type of loan you have. Some loans have a prepayment penalty, but others do not. Read your mortgage’s fine print or ask a lending agent to see if yours has a penalty.

Is Mr. Cooper legit?

Mr. Cooper is a legitimate mortgage lender that provides new home loans, home refinancing and cash-out refinancing. It offers competitive interest rates and typically has satisfied customers. This nonbank mortgage lender providers a variety of loan perks, such as discounts through a realtor network and a closing date guarantee.

Mr. Cooper Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Mr. Cooper is my existing mortgage company. I wasn't really terribly interested in shopping elsewhere. I did look around a little bit, but it's just so much easier to kind of stick with the company I was with. They quoted a good rate that I thought was going to allow me to lower my term and still afford it and wasn't very much more than my existing payment on my 30-year. I got it down to a 15. I just went with it without any further shopping elsewhere.

The customer service team did pretty well. I dealt with a guy named Scott who was my initial contact that quoted me the rate, and then I kind of talked to him towards the end. He was more of the salesperson or facilitator to get things rolling. The actual person that was sort of working the file and calling me periodically about things I needed to fill out and stuff like that was very good and very knowledgeable and was making sure I did things, even though I had a busy work schedule. If something would slip my mind, she called and reminded me.

She was a little talkative but not in a bad way. She's nice. But when I would get on the phone, she kinda go on and on with a lot of details that weren't probably important for me to know. These are details about logistics and how things are done on her end. I think it was just more of a nervous habit or sort of filling up there on the phone. A lot of times, I couldn't get a word in at times. But it wasn't bad. She could probably be a little better with the conversationalist aspect of the job, but she was never unpleasant. It's just sometimes the calls went on so long. I just wanted to be done.

It is a very technical job. So, I could totally understand some of the stuff she was sharing to try to help me and understand the importance of certain forms or what next steps wer. Its just at times, I would get calls, and they're for about a week and a half when we were kind of in an end process. They have certain deadlines and things they're trying to hit. It's just like the calls were frequent. But she was sweet, and I don't think anybody would ever really make any decision negative about the company because of her.

The only thing I don't really like about Mr. Cooper is the name is so stupid. Maybe it's because I'm an old guy. Nationstar Mortgage sounds a little more legit. You're going to Mr. Cooper and I'm like, "I wouldn't want to borrow money from just a dude." Then he would call my loan or close my house. Maybe that works really good for the young people. I know that they don't always market to people like me that will be leaving this earth at some point. They're more for probably the people who are first buying a house. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to other people. Overall, I got a much better rate. That's why the payment was not much more despite the much shorter term.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Mr. Cooper was appointed as our servicer. When we had talked to a mortgage person about refinancing, the process seemed a lot more complicated. So, when we talked to Mr. Cooper, it was a lot more simple and they weren't gonna require an appraisal. We refinanced through them last year and it was convenient because they already had most of our information and we could just submit everything online. Mr. Cooper called us again this year and said that we could qualify to refinance just our interest rate because of how low the rates went. They told us it was not credit-based, which was interesting. So we decided to do it again to get our interest rate down as low as possible.

Last year, when we did our refinance, there was a little more phone contact and we had more questions. This time around, we knew what we were getting into a little bit more. So I only got like two or three phone calls from anybody. We probably could have used a little bit more contact because it was a big transaction. So, I would just check the app a lot and ensure that we were doing the things we needed to do. That was how I found out what I needed to submit. It was easy to use the app and they already had our information.

The gentleman that initiated our refinance last year was the same person that called us again this year. That was a nice touch. But their customer service probably could be a little more fine-tuned. When we talked to somebody on the phone, they were really short. They were impatient and weren't really interested in answering a lot of questions, which was the downside of the whole experience. The mortgage industry, to me, is really confusing, even though I know insurance really well. So when I would ask the kind of questions that I would think that I was allowed to ask, I always felt like that was annoying to them. They should ensure that whoever is on the other line was really comfortable answering questions for people that might not understand the process and the lingo very well.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Our experience with the reps of Mr. Cooper was pleasant. I spent three hours on the phone. The rep did an excellent job and explained everything to me. She did detailed research into what would be the best option for us in our situation. I made sure she had everything she needed, for the most part, to get everything up and running. It was extremely thorough that I didn't have to question what I needed to send in. I made sure it was all taken care of that day on the phone with her.

The only thing that was unclear, was the amount that we paid to refinance, like the taxes and the refinance fee. I still really never got a super clear number on that other than I was promised that we're still making money on this. She gave the overall outlook on what we would make over the term of the loan, that we're still saving about $40,000. But it was unclear how much we're paying upfront to take on refinancing the mortgage. She admitted she couldn't give me that exact number until she had done more stuff on her end. By the time she finishes up on her end, I feel like we were already in the process of doing it so it was too late to really say no. But overall, it was a happy experience 'cause we were communicated with very well. Other than that one thing, for the most part, I felt like I could trust who I was talking to.

This process was really smooth and it happened very quickly. I was surprised because initially when we went to do it, it was a three-week wait period before we'd even hear back from someone, not even starting the process. I don't know if it was the timing on our end but we heard back from someone within four days, and then within a week, we were already in the process of doing it. Then, a week after that, we were closing. The whole process took three weeks. The payment option as far as it being online is really nice and convenient too. Overall, we're happy with everything so far.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Our existing mortgage at the time was with Mr. Cooper and they sent me a notice saying that if I haven’t thought about it, I might think about refinancing. So, I called them and looked into it. It turned out to be a great deal and we went ahead and did it. The refinancing process went smoothly and that was confirmed even more when I talked to people who I worked with. They were talking about how they were either in the process of trying to refinance or in some cases, purchasing a home.

One person, particularly, was trying to buy a home and they were having trouble just getting people to get the title company together. So, they’ve been working for a month and a half to try and get a mortgage approval and everything put together. We had our whole mortgage refinance put together and signed within two weeks of when we called. So, when I started telling people that I worked with about that, they started flipping. That was unheard of right now because nobody’s available. During the whole COVID thing is when we started. We got a lot more time on our hands and I’m not so busy with work.

The rep wanted to entertain the conversation about what was gonna be best for us in the long-term. So, he helped me work through a lot of those different things and had a lot of great answers to questions. Sometimes, people get sticker shock when they look at how much it’s gonna cost them to refinance alone but what the rep helped me understand was that you gotta look at the long-term such as how much you are gonna be paying out. So, he was extremely informative, courteous, punctual and timely. Also, I’m very happy about the rate and terms. We dropped from 1450 a month to 1250 a month in terms of our mortgage payment. It was a great experience with Mr. Cooper. It was painless and everybody was very professional and very quick to move.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Mr. Cooper had the loan for my house and they offered to refinance. When I asked Mr. Cooper for a home equity line of credit, they said, “Why don’t you just refi? We can give you these terms and it will be easier.” And that’s how it all began. I got the money out and I’m paying the same as I was paying a year ago. The rep also gave me some tips on how to pay it off in about 22 years and I wanna do that. Application went very quickly. I called them one day and it took about a week before the loan was approved and processed. There was no other information that they asked.

The rep was reachable and very sweet too. When she and I talked, she always made me feel like she was there to help me and that I could reach her at any time of the day. I called three times and there was never a recording. She always picked up the phone. I received the lowest rate. I went online to see what the other banks were offering. I got a 3 and one-tenth, something like that. The lowest was 2.9 and Mr. Cooper around those terms. I got the best rate possible. I also can’t believe how quickly they acted. I have $30,000 to pay for some remodeling here on the house and I received the money and everything with Mr. Cooper was done within 10 days.

But I was more surprised that they didn’t need the appraisal. And I don’t even think they asked for anything more, but, “Do you want the loan?” I said yes and that was practically it. There’s not a lot of paperwork. My FICO score is very high. It’s around 750 and I don’t have a lot of debts. I have a couple of credit cards and I use them just for credit purposes. I don’t owe more than $2,000 right now worth of credit cards. I have a large amount of savings, too. I think that also comes into play.

I also tried with Bank of America and they asked for thousands of paperwork, which I understand. When I called them, I was really looking for a home equity line of credit. I have a rental property that I wanted to take advantage of and get some money out. I have to prove to them who I am but it was ridiculous, the amount of paperwork that they asked for. Mr. Cooper are very efficient people.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

We started a refinance with Mr Cooper February 2020. They made a total of 7 hard inquiries on our credit report in the last year. We have even managed to pay off $20k in debt over the last year with no new accounts opened or increases in amount owed to creditors. After 1 year and a $500 non refundable fee with 7 hard credit inquiries Mr Cooper has decided that it would be non beneficial to them to refinance. I do not take issue with the decision only with the time, money and 7 hard credit inquiries it took from me for Mr Cooper to make this decision.

Mr. Cooper response

Good afternoon, Dwain!

It's disheartening to read that your experience with Mr. Cooper was not positive. This is not the impression we want to leave you with. Please follow up with me directly to help address your concerns. You are welcome to call our escalations line at 888-509-2432. Since it's a small team, we are here Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm CST. You can email me at Social.Media@Mrcooper.com.

Respectfully,

LaQuinte' Proby
    Community Manager

888-509-2432

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I've had Mr. Cooper all the way back to CountryWide which was probably 20 years ago. I refinanced with them because I had an existing loan and I thought it would be an easier transition but I was mistaken. Everything went smoothly but I don't like the idea of doing everything through email and not being able to talk to a human to get my questions answered in a timely manner. It'd be two or three days before they call me back and if I happen to not be by the phone exactly when they call, I miss it and it's two or three more days. It slows down the whole process for me. That wasn't everybody that I dealt with but on the tail end of it.

We set it up for automatic deposit into my savings account or debit account. Somehow, they got it mixed up and sent it to the wrong Credit Union. That was a fiasco. They kept saying, "Just a couple of more days." The money had been deposited in somebody else's account so I felt that it was urgent. I was going through numerous people and everybody was putting the blame on the title company. It was like you needed to call this person and that person when they were supposed to handle all that, not me. I had to get my Credit Union involved and I don't know if I'd have ever got it straight if it wasn't from my Credit Union. This guy named Leslie with Mr. Cooper was a major help for me. He hung in there with me. I had covid and wasn't in any condition to deal with any of that. Once he found that out, he jumped on the ball.

I was checking my account every day and I never received it. I walked out my back door one day and there was an envelope lying in my driveway soaking wet. I opened it up and it was a check. I had no idea a check was even coming. One of the kids could have picked it up and put it in the garbage. You would have thought I would have had to sign for it 'cause it was a fat check. Other than that, we're good now. Even though I thought mine was bad, my next-door neighbor happened to do it about the same time and he went through more problems than I did.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Mr. Cooper has been my mortgage company for years. Their reps were very nice. It was great overall.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

The representative was very professional and got back to us as soon as something happened. It went pretty fast.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

Since refinancing, there was a reduction in payment. It was an easy setup to do it online and to have it automatically come out of my account. I like that on the website, it shows my credit score right then. Everything was great, professional, told me everything that I needed to do, and what I needed.

Mr. Cooper Company Information