2. Mortgages
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

We’re Mr. Cooper, and we’re changing the face of home loans. Whether you’re looking to refinance, buy, or sell your home, we put customers first. With 20+ years of experience and more than 3 million customers, Mr. Cooper is now one of the largest home loan servicers in the country. Our goal? To keep the dream of home ownership alive for every customer.

EHO Logo

Nationstar Mortgage LLC dba Mr. Cooper

NMLS: #2119 NMLS Consumer Access (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org).

Mr. Cooper Video

Mr. Cooper Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: April 3, 2020

Mr. Cooper had the loan for my house and they offered to refinance. When I asked Mr. Cooper for a home equity line of credit, they said, “Why don’t you just refi? We can give you these terms and it will be easier.” And that’s how it all began. I got the money out and I’m paying the same as I was paying a year ago. The rep also gave me some tips on how to pay it off in about 22 years and I wanna do that. Application went very quickly. I called them one day and it took about a week before the loan was approved and processed. There was no other information that they asked.

The rep was reachable and very sweet too. When she and I talked, she always made me feel like she was there to help me and that I could reach her at any time of the day. I called three times and there was never a recording. She always picked up the phone. I received the lowest rate. I went online to see what the other banks were offering. I got a 3 and one-tenth, something like that. The lowest was 2.9 and Mr. Cooper around those terms. I got the best rate possible. I also can’t believe how quickly they acted. I have $30,000 to pay for some remodeling here on the house and I received the money and everything with Mr. Cooper was done within 10 days.

But I was more surprised that they didn’t need the appraisal. And I don’t even think they asked for anything more, but, “Do you want the loan?” I said yes and that was practically it. There’s not a lot of paperwork. My FICO score is very high. It’s around 750 and I don’t have a lot of debts. I have a couple of credit cards and I use them just for credit purposes. I don’t owe more than $2,000 right now worth of credit cards. I have a large amount of savings, too. I think that also comes into play.

I also tried with Bank of America and they asked for thousands of paperwork, which I understand. When I called them, I was really looking for a home equity line of credit. I have a rental property that I wanted to take advantage of and get some money out. I have to prove to them who I am but it was ridiculous, the amount of paperwork that they asked for. Mr. Cooper are very efficient people.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Our first mortgage was with the Central Loan Administration. But in November, our loan was transferred to Mr. Cooper. When we started to become Mr. Cooper customers, they had a welcome email. When I logged in, it said, “Welcome, new customers. Give us a call,” to check in on the loan. So, I called them and that was how I got going. I only have the comparison with the Central Loan Administration, but it was a night-and-day difference in customer service, ease of talking to someone and getting information. It was way more pleasant and easy experience. Ever since we had our loan, we put down only 10%, so we’re paying PMI. I wanted to refinance to gain some equity with the growing housing market in Seattle and to take advantage of that to get rid of the PMI.

I tried to get the PMI removed through the Central Loan Administration. That had to be input in writing and I got a letter back within a month, which was like saying, “Send us the check. We’ll get this started. It could take another two months or so.” It didn't sound like it was gonna happen. When I called in to Mr. Cooper, within 15 minutes we had talked about my goals, what I wanted, what I wanted to get out of it, the motivation and what they could do for me. I was blown away just by how they seemed to listen, understand, ask questions and answer my questions. And from when I decided, I got the potential rate, the terms of the refinanced loan. I talked to my fiancée and parents. And from when I said yes to when we closed, I could get that information in two weeks. It was very fast.

I feel more informed than the average consumer. Because I was so frustrated by paying PMI, I did a lot of research on my own about loan terms. But one thing I didn't understand was what happens in a refinance. Do they eat into the equity that I have in the home to help refinance? The guy I worked with was really good about helping me explain that and break it down. I had specific questions and pointed questions that I wanted, and he helped me refocus on what to ask about them. He filled that in and then he filled me in on whether a refinance is worth it. The formula of the cost to refinance divided by how much you save per month is the breakeven point. Will I still be in the home after that point? Does it make sense to do the refinance? Overall, using Mr. Cooper was so easy. The website, getting a live person on the phone and every one I talked to would answer my questions and call me back as soon as they could. I had a great experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I had gone through Veterans United for my home loan. When I finished out with it and everything was approved, Mr. Cooper was one of the companies that they farmed the loans out to. I had gone through them for my initial loan, then they contacted me a little over a year of being here and the rates were going down. They asked me if I was interested in doing a refinance on the loan to lower my payments and my percentage rate. Then we went ahead and did everything. It put some cash back in my pocket aside from lowering my interest rate and dropping my payments by $50 a month. So, I’ve had nothing but good experience with them.

If anything ever changes with my account, they'd be saying that my escrow or taxes have have gone up. They'd tell me that I could either pay into my escrow in one payment or they could spread it out throughout the year on my payments. And they're completely honest with me which is what I like. I’ve had friends who had home loans through other companies and they said that they wouldn’t hear from them then all of a sudden, they’d get a notice in the mail saying that they were $600 behind on their mortgage because of influxes in their insurances. But Mr Cooper's reps called me as soon as they sent out my payment and told me what was going on.

When I first started dealing with the refinance process, I started running numbers through my head and it sounded like a bad deal. And I started getting rather upset with the gentleman that I was talking to. But he was really polite about it and said that he would gather everything up, do a comparison loan option for me and send it over so I could see it. He said we would go over it on the phone so that I could see what they were actually offering. He took care of everything and I had them over in 30 minutes. Then he called me back and we went over everything. I told him that I needed some time to go ahead and talk it over with my wife and he said it was not a problem, that their offer remained open, and that I could contact them whenever I was ready.

I called him back two days later and he went over everything again instead of just jumping right into it. He asked if I was sure I was willing to do it right then and when I said yes, he said we'd go ahead with the process and everything went through. Then he said there was another specialist that was gonna come on the line and she got on the line to finish going through everything once everything was processed and approved. She was also with me as I was waiting to do the final paperwork.

A day after I closed on my house, I got two separate phone calls from them, one from her and one from him, both asking me if everything was good, if I was satisfied with the title company that came to my house and if they went over everything, and if there was any other issue that needed to be addressed at that time. I told them I had no problem and I really appreciated their phone calls. And five days after I received my paperwork in the mail from the title company and Mr. Cooper, they called me once again asking if there was anything else that they could do for me of if I needed them to go over any of the paperwork.

Then two days later, I received a phone call from the gentleman that I spoke to first, explaining to me that when they went over all the final paperwork, there was an additional adjustment. He said that I overpaid and they were sending me a check which I should expect in the mail. All in all, if anyone is thinking about going through Mr. Cooper, they should just let them do their job in as far as explaining things. Don’t just jump to conclusions saying that they're just out to get you like other banks because for me. they were there the whole time.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

We wanted to renovate the home and because it's a VA loan, the funding fees were gonna be substantial along with the closing cost. So, we decided to streamline and then we hoped to, in a few months, take out a home equity loan. I called Mr. Cooper and the individual I originally spoke with never returned my phone calls. I had a hard time getting any follow-up, follow through, and closure. There was definitely a communication problem and hopefully, not everyone's experience goes like this because when I was reading the rant, looking for a phone number to get in touch with an actual real person, I was seeing the same thing that I was experiencing. It didn't look like it was just this year nor this quarter. It looked like it had been going on for years.

I did some research online and found a complaint somebody else had with the phone number attached. I tried the phone number and it just so happened that it was an actual person who answered the line, rather than a recording stating that they were out of the office or they were busy. That individual got me in touch with someone who was amazing. Melinda and Rochelle at that organization are awesome. If it hadn't been for Melinda, things would not have gone as well as they did. She was the one who made this thing happen. She took it by the horns and assigned it to Rochelle and a couple of other individuals and they had it handled in an extremely short amount of time. Once I got with the correct person and someone that would answer their phone and return your phone calls, the process was smooth and fast, and everything happened like it should have. It was great.

I was kinda frustrated though because I worked hard to get my credit score up and the second person I talked to put a second ding on my credit. That person did not help me and now, instead of one inquiry, I have two. I got so mad that I told them if they hit my credit one more time or if they did not call me back and did not close before my expiration, I would not refinance with them. It would be with someone else. I was completely redoing the loan with another financial institution. Nevertheless, the process was right around the 30-day mark. The last people who handled my loan jumped through hoops and they did everything they could to close it as fast as possible. The company gotta get more of those individuals that push and make it happen.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I bought a house in 2018 and within a week of closing it was sold to Chase. This was normal and I expected it but what I did not expect was that about 3-4 months later Chase sold it to Mr. Cooper. My experience with them was about the same as any other time a loan I had was transferred. They sent me all the info in the mail and it was pretty straightforward, everything seemed normal.

Through no fault of Mr. Cooper, AAA insurance canceled my policy and sent me to collections. I had only gotten AAA because they had quoted me by far the lowest on homeowners insurance. But 3 months after closing I found out they had been insuring the wrong house all along (a house down the street that wasn't even mine) and then when they rewrote the policy my insurance somehow doubled... even though my home was smaller and had less features than the other (fewer fireplaces, bathrooms, etc). I was already frustrated with AAA for screwing up the car insurance I had set up through them to get a bigger discount on the house insurance, but had intended to refinance in a few years and figured I would tough it out with the homeowners until then.

But AAA screwed that up too, I got the collections letter and called them and they had been billing the first mortgage company, who had the loan not even a full week. When that company (who just expressly offers loans but does not maintain them) did not pay they canceled the policy and it went to collections. They claimed that neither Chase nor Mr. Cooper ever contacted them. I knew right off the bat that was a lie as I had major issues with my car insurance with AAA already with them getting all sorts of documents from me and claiming they didn't then when I would prove they did they would double down and try and find some way to blame me for things.

True to their nature, AAA doubled down and blamed me for not opening one piece of mail from them telling me they were canceling. I had stopped opening their mail a long time ago as I get 2-3 pieces of junk mail from AAA weekly asking me to upgrade or buy more insurance or a million other things. Why would I open every bit of junk mail to see if it's somehow important when no other insurance company I ever worked with ever had problems with mortgage company changes? It's not even a thought that ever crossed my mind, that my insurance company would find yet another way to massively screw up. When I called to get it reinstated they refused to fix it or rewrite the policy.

Luckily for me Mr. Cooper turned out to be excellent at customer service. I didn't get to choose who bought my loan but I really lucked out. I called them and explained, the CSR named Frank immediately got a AAA agent on the phone and when they tried the same with him he quickly listed off the exact dates that notification was sent to AAA about them handling the loan. I called Chase as well and they had dates in their records too. At that point AAA agent just stayed silent. It was clear they screwed up and had no cover for it with Mr. Cooper right there on the line giving them dates and evidence. They tried to send me to underwriting again and I informed them that their underwriting had refused to rewrite the policy. AAA was at a loss at that point because they were backed into a corner with Mr. Cooper on the line pointing out their mistakes. I asked Frank to send the amount due to them so I could wash my hands of AAA.

Frank immediately set up an overnight check and triple checked the address and person to send it to at AAA and then took notes of who we talked to at AAA the date, time, etc. and saved it all to my Mr. Cooper profile. After the check was sent to AAA, I asked Frank what to do as I was at a loss. He referred me to an insurance agency that they partner with and said if I had any issues to have them call Mr. Cooper again and they would explain that the error was on AAA's part and not mine. I called the agency about an hour later and they actually had already been informed of the situation by Mr. Cooper and it was probably the fastest and easiest insurance quote I ever got. They shopped a bunch of different places, sent me the quote to sign and sent it over to Mr. Cooper to get my insurance back into place.

Mr. Cooper's customer service here was exemplary. I was concerned that I was going to have to struggle with both AAA and my mortgage company to get this fixed. But in fact Mr. Cooper came to my rescue and pretty much fixed it for me. I wish I could give more than 5 stars on this. I also forgot to mention, even though I used their website to pay my bills monthly, I had never really looked around the site. But when I got the collection letter I signed in and looked through all my documents, etc. and Mr. Cooper is also one of the best websites I have ever used. Everything was very easy to access and they had every document I could ever need on there, well laid out in the easiest format I could imagine.

A lot of other mortgage companies I had in the past don't even put half of this information online and you have to request or they hide it in a giant document somewhere you have to fish things out of. But Mr. Cooper's website is the most helpful website I have ever seen. I could easily see my escrow, how much was in there, where all the previous payments went, how much and when. Everything down the last penny in every document is broken out perfectly for me.

Original review: June 30, 2020

They were helpful through the entire process. Not any problems. They kept me informed through the process letting us know if we need to do anything or if we need to furnish anything. We closed early and saved us some time and money. Thanks for the great help.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Our house refinance process went very smooth. Everything was as advertised from the beginning. When we needed to speak with someone we could actually reach the person we were working with the entire time. It was very easy. Our account manager was a pleasure to work with as well.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Excellent - it could not have been better. All communications and follow up were great. Mr. Cooper personnel are exceptional! - Thanks.... I would and will recommend Mr. Cooper to my friends and family for their financing needs....

Original review: June 29, 2020

The refinance process with Mr. Cooper was simple, easy and stress free! The Loan Officer that I spoke with was knowledgeable and assisted me all the way through the process. My rate was lowered and my monthly payment, I could not be happier!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I was very pleased with the ease in which my refi was done. The agents were a pleasure to work with. My only complaint is the survey Mr Cooper sends out. It's ridiculously long and time consuming. If they shortened the survey, I'm sure they would have more positive reviews. Thank you.

Mr. Cooper author review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage service provider offers a variety of mortgage products to help consumers find the best mortgage match for their needs. Options include fixed-rate and adjustable loans, refinancing loans and specialized loans for military members and luxury homebuyers.

• Packages for first-time homebuyers: First-time homebuyers can get pre-approved for loans. This pre-approval helps the buyers know what they can afford and directs their negotiation process.

• Customer support: Customers can call for a 10-minute loan consultation or submit an online loan request form.

• Helpful calculators: The company website provides calculators to help consumers figure out how much they can borrow, how much they stand to save in taxes and if they would benefit from debt consolidation.

• Home equity cash out: The company provides home equity cash-outs for homeowners who need to pay for a child's education or improve their property.

• Guidance: Customers can expect no-nonsense help, competitive rates and a clear loan process.

by Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Mr. Cooper Company Information