4.6/5 (778 ratings)

About Mr. Cooper

Mr. Cooper is a mortgage lender that specializes in new home loans and refinancing. The company offers a closing date guarantee and fast online approvals. You can monitor your loan’s progress through the Mr. Cooper app.

Pros

• Closing date guarantee
  • Fast approvals
  • Rewards program

Cons

• Limited rate information on site
  • Prepayment penalties on some loans

Bottom Line

Mr. Cooper is one of the largest mortgage lenders in the nation, offering competitive interest rates on new home loans and refinancing. You can apply for a mortgage and monitor your application online.

Mr. Cooper Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: May 10, 2022

I found the Mr. Cooper Loan Agent and the Loan Processor extremely helpful, very professional and very patient with me, as far as computer knowledge is concerned. They explained in detail everything that was going on and even took my calls when I would get nervous to calm me down.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My experience was one of positivity from beginning to end. All of my questions were answered and the answers received made me take the plunge… I appreciate not being rushed when trying to make my final decision for refinancing my home loan. I started off speaking with Eric ** and ended with Clay **. They were fantastic! Thank you, Mr. Cooper…

Original review: May 10, 2022

Mr. ** was very professional throughout the refinancing process. He explained all the information fully during this process. He followed up with me after the refinancing process was over. If I needed further assistance or questions to answer, he would be available to answer them.

Original review: May 9, 2022

The two people helping me with my refinancing really took the time to help me move smoothly through the refinancing. They were very good about explaining what was next and what was going on with the paperwork. Even when we hit a snag in the processing they did a great job stirring us in a new direction which ultimately worked better in the end.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 9, 2022

Processor did not communicate very well and was very slow about follow-up. It took over 6 weeks to get the loan even though we were existing customers with excellent credit. Paperwork was very extensive and some had to be resent.

Mr. Cooper response
I appreciate you informing us of your experience. It is my goal to make every attempt to resolve your concerns to the best of my ability. I will follow up privately with a resolution to your concerns.
Kalie Ezenwa

Community Manager

You are welcome to call our escalations line at 888-509-2432. Since it's a small team, we are here Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm CST. If there's something I can assist you with, I'm happy to help - you can email me at Social.Media@Mrcooper.com. Thanks!

Original review: May 9, 2022

Kyle and Roxanne were a great team in getting our re-fi pushed through! Very pleased! The Notary Public Sabrina was accommodating and helpful as well. Wish more things were this easy. The ability to e-sign documents and do most everything by phone or email is a great service. My current loan was with Mr. Cooper already and I am very happy to stay with them.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Steven and Ryan at Mr. Cooper made the whole process go smooth and easy to understand. They kept me informed and answered any questions I had. I could definitely recommend Mr. Cooper to to my family and friends, or really anyone.

Original review: May 9, 2022

My experience was just ok, felt rushed. Needed to have my phone near me 24/7. Then the notary they sent out didn’t go over paper work before she left! So In return had to take more time out of my day to spend more money to have paper work that wasn’t right be emailed to UPS and faxed. Again more time out of my day and they needed and wanted it asap!

Original review: May 8, 2022

The whole procedure was effortless. The loan officer, Lauren ** was so nice and easy to deal with. The company should be proud of having a person like her. It felt like we were friends, which made the whole process easier for me. I really felt confident and satisfied when the loan was approved. There was an adding error....which Lauren did tell me about when the notary public had me sign papers. So I dealt with that because in the beginning, Lauren told me what my payment would be.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Overall, I would rate my experience as a B-. While Jack and Sedalia were great to work with, I felt that those in Underwriting were over-the-top with their continued request, even after I'd provided the information. The disappointing part was that I have 22 years of home mortgage experience with 0x10, 0x30 (again in 22 years) with major equity. My FICO score was well over 720 with more than sufficient income and home equity, yet I didn't feel valued as a long-term, established customer of Mr. Cooper. Again, if I were to offer you anything as it relates to this process, it would be with your underwriting area. The front end was fine and the closing was very easy and straight-forward.

Original review: May 8, 2022

The experience with Mr. Cooper was quick and painless. It was wonderful with the rep. She was friendly, knowledgeable and was able to get me the best package deal. We also discussed what the payments would be and whether or not they wanted to take any money out and how those would impact my term and my payments. Since refinancing, I reduced the term of my loan by six years.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Wow, the process was so easy and the Mr. Cooper employees were all so very professional and knowledgeable. April 1st I started the process and closed from April 27th! I was nervous about the closing. They even paid for my appraisal fee! The attorney came to my home at the time that was convenient for me. The whole process was just so easy and comfortable.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I recently refinanced my Mortgage and the process was very easy and only took approximately 3 weeks. Would highly recommended Mr. Cooper. They were really easy to work with. The whole process and the representative were very professional and friendly.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Communication from the first day was clear, concise, and straightforward from Mr. Cooper. My questions were answered quickly. Mr. Cooper’s response time and feedback were excellent. Having a dedicated person and multiple methods of communication kept the process moving smoothly.

Original review: May 7, 2022

The entire process was seamless! The team was extremely knowledgeable, detailed, and personal - which makes for a great experience! Barbara ** and Ashleigh ** were a great reflection of GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE and the service was timely. Lastly, the follow up was great too. Ms. ** reached out to just before the closing and immediately after the closing to ensure I did not have any further questions or concerns. I never had to wait more than 24 hours to receive a call back from either of them.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I recently experienced the process of refinancing with Mr. Cooper. I had a wonderful experience with the most professional staff. Both individuals I worked with were courteous, knowledgeable, efficient, and more important, they cared and demonstrated their compassion for me as an individual and not just another applicant. Mr. Cooper and staff deserve a round of applause and a great big THANKS!!

Original review: May 7, 2022

We chose to refinance our mortgage with Mr. Cooper because of our prior experiences with this company. We received very courteous, professional, and excellent assistance, when needed, with the process. We are quite pleased with the outcome and would highly recommend this company.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Mr. Cooper's staff was excellent to work with and the system was very easy and efficient. Robyn ** and Andrew ** were very professional and helpful, and definitely made me feel valued. Refinances can have a lot of obstacles, but every time we reached one, they were able to smoothly move us around it.

Original review: May 7, 2022

When Mr. Cooper took over my mortgage originally I was skeptical of their services due to just the nature of their name. However my skepticism was quickly admonished every time I contacted them. All of my encounters have been friendly, educational and left me feeling like a part of a large family. Most recently I inquired about refinancing my home for debt consolidation and home repairs. They made the entire process easy! They answered my questions, provided me with guidance and kept me informed every step of the way. I am truly grateful for their services.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Kyle was excellent, very helpful and understanding throughout the whole process. He answered all my questions in a quick and timely manner. Brandon was very helpful and very professional as well. I was scared of the process and the time it would take but it was smooth and painless and much quicker than I thought.

Original review: May 7, 2022

The refinancing with Mr. Cooper went great. They handled everything, answered any questions I had and made the process go quickly. The application process went smoothly. Everything on the app is self-explanatory, about downloading everything and sending it over. That way, it cut the processing time down quickly. The eSign was a big help instead of mailing everything back and forth.

Original review: May 6, 2022

We were on a home modification and our interest rate was over 10%. After talking to the lady from Mr. Cooper, she said that she could get me in at a little over 4%. She gave me a couple of options that might help me out and let me do the choosing. The Mr. Cooper reps were terrific. They answered any questions that I had and they were very quick and efficient on everything. However, when they sent the notary out, I felt like I was signing every page on the Harry Potter novels, and those are quite thick. They need to cut down on some of the paperwork. A lot of it was redundant.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Mr. Cooper has a very simple application process. They were very attentive. I had emails and phone calls from them. They only needed a couple of documents from me and they've been giving me updates on the status and when it would be done. I have recommended Mr. Cooper to people. They are very efficient and fully disclosed everything. I couldn't have had a better experience.

Original review: May 4, 2022

The refinance with Mr. Cooper was a very easy process with them already holding my loan. I just had to do some paperwork and sign. So, it was pretty seamless. The process took about three weeks and about a week and a half of it was about a holdup on my end. I was waiting on a couple of things on my end. It was a pretty quick process overall. The customer service was great. Both people that I dealt with at Mr. Cooper were excellent and very easy to deal with. I like the new rate and terms. They beat everybody else that I had talked with. It was an overall great experience. It was very easy dealing with them because I work nights and they were emailing me on a regular basis so I could catch up and see what was going on. Most of our communication was through email, so it was very easy to get done.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Mr. Cooper took over my mortgage one day, and I've been with them since. I did a refinance and the application process went pretty smoothly. They did a great job. The loan officers were fine. I wish I could have got a little bit lower rate with the way the economy was, but it is what it is. Overall, Mr. Cooper has been great to work with.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I like how Mr. Cooper operates. Their process was great. I'm happy overall. Go with them.

Original review: April 30, 2022

There were three guys I was in contact with. They were good. My interest rate went down a bit. And I got the chance to change my mortgage term from 30 to 15 years. I believe that at the end, I will save some money.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Mr. Cooper communicated in a timely manner. They were easy to deal with. They answered my questions effectively and thoroughly. And the third party that they used was more than great. It was completed a month ago now. I should have done it a year ago, but I decided to go ahead to do it and they were effective. It went smoothly. They handled it in a professional way.

In my case, it's more of the long term. I cut time off, and my bill only went up a bit. So in the long run, I’m saving myself a bunch of money. We bought our house five years ago. And we were at a higher rate. So, if we were at that rate at 30 years, we’ll save X amount of money. When you refinance, you do have to pay for the cost. Sometimes you don't, but we did. And our credit was good. We went for a lower rate, and of course, we had to pay to do it. And we shaved time off. It went from a 30-year note to a 20-year note, which we were down to 25. So, we’ll pay it 5 years quicker.

Original review: April 28, 2022

The lady who came to do all the paperwork was explaining and doing everything. The mortgage agent always kept me informed and told me the process. It went smoothly.

Original review: April 27, 2022

It was an easy process, but it was long. Very little follow up. Normally, when I use my old mortgage guy, he would say, “Hey, I need this, this, and that,” get it done, and not wait three weeks to get this done. I could have worked with somebody locally and just went straight to them. Also, the rate is high. The month before is 0.75% difference.

Mr. Cooper Company Information