2. Mortgages

4.4/5 (533 ratings)

About Mr. Cooper

Mr. Cooper is a mortgage lender that specializes in new home loans and refinancing. The company offers a closing date guarantee and fast online approvals. You can monitor your loan’s progress through the Mr. Cooper app.

Pros

• Closing date guarantee
  • Fast approvals
  • Rewards program

Cons

• Limited rate information on site
  • Prepayment penalties on some loans

Bottom Line

Mr. Cooper is one of the largest mortgage lenders in the nation, offering competitive interest rates on new home loans and refinancing. You can apply for a mortgage and monitor your application online.

Mr. Cooper Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mr. Cooper?

Original review: May 10, 2021

Excellent customer service, knowledgeable employees, easy and quick refinancing process. It makes me very happy to be able to do business with a rep that is based in the USA. I am very happy with Mr. Cooper and its employees.

Original review: May 10, 2021

The process was a little trying because everybody's working from home and one person had, the other one didn't have. But after a while, we got it all together and it worked out. We started January 13th and we signed the refinance papers April 3rd.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I prefer email correspondence because it’s easier with my life and the reps were able to accommodate that. I appreciate that. It was super helpful that we knocked seven years off our terms while still knocking down the payments a little bit.

Original review: May 8, 2021

One thing that would be great is if they can do an appraisal. Even though the mortgage payment has gone down, if they redo the appraisal, it will be much lower. Other than that, they have a great mobile application so it's easy to navigate and I will continue service with them.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Mr. Cooper is always great to work with. They took care of every question I had and whatever I needed, they were on it.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Mr. Cooper let the payment down. It was over $1,000 payment and now it’s $850. They were nice people.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Mr. Cooper has been great. The reps have been responsive, polite and straightforward.

Original review: May 6, 2021

The refinance went quickly and easily and we ended up getting what we wanted. I was perfectly happy with the experience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 5, 2021

I have 2 loans on my property and Mr. Cooper is my 2nd mortgage on the property. When the loan was transferred to Mr. Cooper, a balloon payment was attached. Back in Feb, I started an application for a refinance on my 1st and 2nd with Mr. Cooper. At the time the specialist who was helping me, said it could be done so I trusted him on his word. After the application was completed, I supplied all the necessary paperwork they asked for, from pay stubs, taxes, title, etc etc. Anyways, I was informed that it would be closed out at the end of March by the underwriter. So the end of March comes around and I have not heard anything from them, so I contacted them, so April comes around and no one has informed me to keep paying my mortgage, so I took it upon myself to pay both, well I paid the first but when I go in to pay the 2nd, it will not allow me because of the balloon payment. Meanwhile, still have not heard anything from them.

It seem I have to initiate the communication with the personnel assisting me. So after I couldn't pay it online, I call to try to pay it thru Mr. Cooper and they cannot process my payment for April because of the balloon payment. I finally get an email sent to me telling me that they cannot change the balloon payment date and now since I have missed my April payment, they can't do anything for me. So basically, my credit report get hit with a missed payment as well as Mr. Cooper telling me that since you missed your payment (because of them), we can't do anything for you. This has been a bad experience with communication and it was not handled professionally at all. I wanted to work with Mr. Cooper but after this, I just want to be done with them and move on.

Mr. Cooper response
I appreciate you informing us of your experience. It is my goal to make every attempt to resolve your concerns to the best of my ability. I will follow up privately with a resolution to your concerns.
Kalie Ezenwa
Community Manager

You are welcome to call our escalations line at 888-509-2432. Since it's a small team, we are here Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm CST. If there's something I can assist you with, I'm happy to help - you can email me at Social.Media@Mrcooper.com. Thanks!

Original review: May 5, 2021

The gentleman with Mr. Cooper was super helpful and the process was super simple. I did everything over the phone. They pulled everything up then everything was done electronically. The fact that once we were able to close, they could come to us for the notary and signing made it much easier. The only thing was the closing costs were high but other than that, the customer service was good.

Mr. Cooper Company Information