Call toll free
4.71/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1997, Lear Capital has been one of America’s leaders in precious metals investing with $3 billion in trusted transactions. Our mission is to ensure investors maintain a diversified strategy as we provide the tools needed to buy, sell and trade bullion, rare coins, and physical gold and silver - all backed by an “Investor-Friendly Service Guarantee”.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

982 Lear Capital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Arron was kind, informative, and patient with my many questions. As I was taking the time to get my money up and decide what to do, Arron didn't hound me, which I really appreciate, but only called once in a while. Once I made the decision, Arron made sure I had all the information I needed, moved through the process quickly and kept in touch as I waited for my silver to be delivered. I look forward to to a long (hopefully not too long) and pleasant relationship with Lear Capital, as I wait for my investment to to peak. I am very happy with the decision I made and am confident it will pay off in a few years.

Get expert buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Lear was the first precious metals supplier I dealt with, and the first I ever ordered product from. I enjoyed working with Pierre **, who is clearly very knowledgeable in the industry and no doubt one of the "rainmakers" on the Lear Team. Hogan** was very helpful in order execution, as well. My only negative comment: While I got what I believed was good value on the 100 generic rounds I purchased from Lear, having now learned a good deal more it seems that you're a bit high on your pricing. Otherwise, it was a very good consumer experience. You're on my short list of online metals sources and I will continue to check regularly for future opportunities to work together.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

My wife and I have been saving for a long time, and we felt it would be wise to invest in precious metals of some kind. I went on the internet to research information, and became extremely frustrated with all the information overload and pressure to buy. I finally came across Lear Capital, and spoke with Mr. Raad **. I explained that I had less than novice experience and knowledge, but wanted to possibly invest in silver coins. We have been saving for over 8 years and felt it would be a wise move to better protect our savings at this time.

Mr ** was very helpful and patient in explaining the various options, and based on our circumstances and goals we followed his advise and bought 300 Canadian, 1.5 oz Silver, Grizzly Bear Coins. It was a little more than our $10,000.00 savings, but we trusted his advice. All the coins were delivered on time, and we were very happy to get them. Now that the butterflies have settled down (lol) we are saving again and would like to continue to purchase more in the future. We appreciate Mr. **'s advice and help, and as soon as we can we will be calling him again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My personal experience with Lear capital was awesome. I needed to roll my 401 K over from my previous employer, I wanted something more than paper assets. Kelly ** answered my call and was very helpful to me in, investing in silver. As I did not have very much knowledge in silver she explained to me how the silver investment opportunities might really be a benefit for me. And with all the information she had given me, which was a lot she understood I needed to do a little research. I found after a couple of days that indeed this was the option for me. I am very grateful for the time Kelly ** spent with me and her patience, knowledge and understanding of my needs in rolling over my 401 K... Thank You Lear Capital for employing Kelly ** and her awesome integrity and the value of me as a customer.

Original review: May 31, 2018

What can I say? I only had only the most pleasant experience talking to Derek **, Senior Account Representative for Lear Capital. When I received the call, it was intended for someone else at my apartment but he wasn't ready to take the call so I took it. Now, normally, I wouldn't give the time or opportunity for a marketing call, but this was different. I had recently come into some money my dad left me after he passed away and so I decided to hear Derek out. He had the most pleasant voice, extremely professional and knowledgeable. He wasn't pushy at all. He always returned my phone calls and answered every question I had with quick follow through. He was amazing. I would have liked to have met him in person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lear Capital?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

Invested $100,000.00 in Collector coins recommended by an agent of Lear Capital. I had no previous experience but was told that appreciation on scarce collector coins is best for future profit. After the purchase I asked my financial adviser and he suggested that I made a mistake. I called Lear Capital to get a quote on selling my coins and the quote was about $60,000.00 which mean I lost $40,000.00 in less than a week. This is a con game and those firms should be regulated by NASD or NYSE. Beware of these scam artist.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Gary ** was my original contact and we finalized a transfer from my 401k investing in gold and silver coin. The first time I received a statement from the custodian I almost had a stroke. My initial investment had already lost nearly 30 percent of its value. Mr. ** assured me that the custodian's value is based on spot, or bullion price and I had nothing to worry about. Well that did not pan out. Three years into it my account value is down 55 percent. I have a new account representative and he recommended we convert to platinum. I guess we will see. All I do know is if I had left that money in the original account I would have a 9 percent gain. I do not recommend this group to any one. Do your home work and buyer beware!

Original review: March 11, 2019

They are polite. Understanding and very happy work with you and the way they talk very nice people. I always buy coins from Lear Capital. They're great people. I enjoy talking to them. If I get more money I will invest lear capital.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Silver Purchase - My representative was Kelly **, and I found her to be very pleasant, informative and professional. Her Personal Touch was also quite refreshing and I enjoyed doing business with her.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Yes, I recently purchased gold & silver coins. And I don't appreciate the "huge" mark-up I was charged. I paid approx. 530$ per gold coin, that was only worth 328$ at current prices. Not a good deal! My coins would "have" to increase 50: percent just to break even!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

The entire process went very well. The Lear Capital Agent, Matt **, was not only very informative while helping me through the process, he did an excellent series of follow-up though the entire process including an after delivery follow-up. I am looking forward to placing another order when finances permit.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

As a new customer, both Matt and Lev were very patient with me and to great lengths to make sure I understood exactly what I was purchasing and the benefits of my decision. I am very pleased with my relationship with Lear Capital.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Troy explained everything in detail. I was treated as a human being and not a number, especially when I did not understand, so he would explain again. Truly hard to find someone who does this anymore. It made me feel secure in knowing how this process works.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

The people I with were very knowledgable and helpful. I was often concerned with the length of time each step took, but eventually the process was completed, and my purchase price for the silver was locked in, even as the value rose.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

My experience has been very pleasant. Rod explained everything to us before we actually did our transfer. Would recommend Lear Capital to my friends and family. The communication is terrific. Wish I had done this years ago.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Updated on 03/27/2019: I see that my case says it was resolved off of the ConsumerAffairs site. Yes I did receive a thank you from Lear Capital for being able to resolve my concerns, which they did not do. I'm still quite dissatisfied with the way I was treated. You can go back to my original review "Misunderstood" for particulars but I would not recommend this company to any of friends. I can't believe that I was just brushed aside and replaced by positive experiences other people had. Good luck and watch the valuation of the products you buy.

Original Review: I realize that this review will be read by individuals seeking others experiences with Lear Capital in respect to making a purchase. I would recommend that you are clear with what you are purchasing. I know this seems like a no brainer but here is my experience. I got involved with Lear Capital through the internet. I am a 68 year old male wishing to put a portion of my individual retirement account IRA into something very conservative, with what is going on in this country. Let me reiterate conservative. I was not interested in investing in a product that would be valuable in the future versus a stable value at purchase. So I contacted Lear Capital with the Idea of buying silver coins which I have purchased previously.

My choice was Canadian Mint Maple Leaf a sound conservative purchase. I thought silver valued @ 15.50 per coin plus or minus was a good buy. Upon speaking with a Lear Representative I ended up purchasing what appears to be overpriced products that are designed to be long term investments, which is exactly what I did not want to do. I was told that gold was a better purchase as was platinum. But as it turns out it was comparable to buying a new car. I drove it off the lot and the very minute I purchased it, it dropped in value. 33% in Value.

The products were 1/3 oz. Gold Grizzly @ 670.46. By the time they got to my Strata account a day later the value had dropped to 423.20 a loss of or a commission, however you want to look at it. The same was done with my Platinum purchase of Platinum Queens Beast Dragon @ 1,150 a day later 799.60. The silver purchase was good and as expected. So in a 20,000 purchase one day I lost or paid 5,109.15 commission.

Now I ask you is that what you call a conservative purchase. I moved it out of the market to what I was told was a conservative investment. Notice that the gold coins are obscure at 1/3 oz and as of now I have not been able to find a value. The silver was market value. So I trusted the gold and platinum were the same. My mistake but I trusted this group would listen to my concerns and needs and sell me what I wanted a secure metal portfolio to make my IRA sound in uncertain times. Watch out and be sure you purchasing metals at market value. I can not recommend that you will get that with this organization.

Lear Capital response

Very glad to have had the chance to work with you to resolve this matter. Customer satisfaction is always at the top of the Lear Capital priority list. Next time, please consider emailing us directly to resolve your matter quicker.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Customer service from Lear Capital is excellent, this can not be overstated. Dana ** and Conor ** were just straightforward and factual people to deal with. Any questions that I had regarding a purchase were either answered during the initial conversation or followed up with a return phone call within a few minutes. Many companies brag about customer service, but Lear Capital definitely has it as their standard operating procedure. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Account exec was very helpful, however, he was out of the office for a period of time & had arranged for someone in the IRA Department to handle the RMD in his absence. Because of exchanging inventory which took longer to settle that went beyond the end of the year we missed the withdrawal for 2018. We have been promised a reimbursement if we are not bale to get an exemption for the penalty from the IRS.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Recently purchased silver rounds which I will be continuing for my grandchildren. Your company was recommended to me and I found the transaction easy and the website informative. The only real problem I had I was not able to use my debit card to finalize the purchase so I sent a check as instructed. due to the timeline I did have to go to APMEX to also order rounds so they would be here by Christmas. I will continue to order them from you now that I know the timelines but it is a bit inconvenient.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

This is something totally new for me, something I had never considered doing. I was very nervous about it but after speaking to the adviser several times I felt more at ease. I was surprised when I saw the invoice and noticed the shipping charged. I thought shipping was free in orders over $20,000.00.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My experience was awesome! Very informative and pleasant rep. Answered all our questions and explained his answers well. Treated me with respect and patience and I believe that his patience is what sold me on his sincerity! Great job Derek! Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I wanted to gift to each of my sons a gold coin for Christmas. My order was made about a week before Christmas. The purchase was minimal, but Lev ** expedited the shipping process and my sons received their coins by Christmas Day. This exemplifies a precious metals company that truly cares for its clients needs. Just outstanding!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Gold and Silver Price Was Too High - This was my first time buying gold and silver and after checking other companies realized The Price I paid for .3334 oz of gold at $664 wasn't the best investment. I would have preferred the 1 oz gold Maple leaf, as that was a better investment. ITM Trading is selling their 1 oz Maple leaf for $1332.10 and I was under the impression that Lear price matches...

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I recently returned to the Gold & Silver market. Again I choose Lear from past experience. I was pleased to find the Company better than ever! Quick & courteous service, sound advice, real time pricing, great inventory! Have already recommended Lear to several friends & family members.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Lev is kind, patient and knowledgeable. He has been very helpful establishing my account and I look forward to a long relationship with Lear Capital. I feel so relieved to have 1 account invested in precious metals and as soon as the IRS allows, my plan is to move the current account to gold and silver. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Lear Capital not only helped me broaden my investments, but also helped me understand how to do so. They took the time to walk me through the process and arm myself with knowledge. I highly recommend their services.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Quick and simple. Crystal clear explanations of expectations for all involved, with no surprises or misunderstandings. I will buy again from Lear. Brian ** and Dana ** have their ducks in a row and communicated effectively to my level of competence. Real old fashioned Customer Service with good follow thru!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I saw Lear Capital's advertisement on the FOX network and decided to purchase silver coins. I called them and spoke with Morrey **, one of their senior account executives. Morrey was very knowledgeable, professional and courteous as he guided me through the process of purchasing silver to meet my needs. I have conducted business with him on several occasions and look forward to giving him more of my business. I have recommended Lear Capital to several of my colleagues and told them to ask for Mr. ** who will provide excellent service and make them feel like they are his most important client.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was treated with dignity and respect, and promptness throughout the entire procedure. My questions were answered with clarity which pleased me and my wife. The order was placed as it was stated by your agent and we received it within the time that we were told we would. It all checked out to our satisfaction. We will definetly do any future investment transactions with him.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Upon emailing Lear Capital I received a very quick response and soon talked to live advisor from Lear Capital who was very knowledgeable and helped me substantially with my purchase. I also received a follow-up call upon receiving my precious metals. Thanks again Lear capital for a great experience!

Lear Capital expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1997, Lear Capital is one of the leading dealers in precious metals in America. During its 17-year history, this company has transacted more than 2 billion dollars’ worth of precious metals.

• Spot price: Regularly updated trading values of gold, silver and platinum are displayed on the right hand side of the company home page, making the information easy find.

• Posted pricing: See exactly what is for sale and the price for each gold or silver coin with transparent pricing.

• IRA rollover: Get information on when and how to rollover an existing IRA to allow for precious metal investment.

• Price protection: If the price of gold in an IRA drops in the first 30 days, Lear Capital will adjust the amount of gold to meet the current value.

• Signup bonus: New account holders may be eligible to receive a $500 bonus when they meet the conditions for the new account promotion.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg