Call toll free
4.75/5
Based on 849 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1997, Lear Capital has been one of America’s leaders in precious metals investing with $2 billion in trusted transactions. Our mission is to ensure investors maintain a diversified strategy as we provide the tools needed to buy, sell and trade bullion, rare coins, and physical gold and silver - all backed by an “Investor-Friendly Service Guarantee”.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

897 Lear Capital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

60 Canadian snowy owl silver coins. I was led [byTV ads} to believe I would get more complimentary coins than I actually received. Then told by Joe that he would take care of this discrepancy, but did not. I later was told that my purchase was not large enough to qualify for that promotion. Your TV ads are not adequately explained. Other than that it was a good transaction.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 29, 2018

As a first time coin buyer I was impressed with the patient and informed manner in which I was treated. Mr. Aaron ** straight away recognized my lack of knowledge in regard to the silver market and particularly silver coins, created an understandable platform of knowledge, and anticipating my every question painted a clear picture of this business.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I am a first time buyer. Sam ** and Bill ** were fantastic to help educate me. They were not pushy. Answered my questions no matter how trivial it may have seemed to them and then me. The shipment of the silver was easy and trouble free. Enough that I made another purchase.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Peace silver dollars and Snowy Owl one and a half once silver. Thanks to Danny ** and Lear Capital for the opportunity of owning a great product such as silver coins. Beautiful coins and a great investment.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have used Lear Capital several times to order small quantities of 1oz. American Gold Eagles online. I have been extremely pleased with the ease of the transaction and their communication and processing of the orders. I will continue using them and I can recommend them. Also, their prices have always been lower than other online stores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lear Capital?

Original review: June 20, 2018

Let me start out with the service I received from the great men at Lear Capital. GREAT SERVICED. GREAT TEAM. GREAT SERVICE. The coins are so shiny and elegant and larger than I expected. So thank you for your help.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Everything went smoothly. Set up the account and purchased the silver with no problem. Mike has been very helpful. I have recommended purchasing silver from you to my daughter and granddaughter as well.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I made a mistake on this transaction but was not allowed to cancel after I realized it. I made a decision too quickly and learned a valuable lesson to think things through thoroughly before making a commitment.

No response received
Original review: June 11, 2018

Evasive information not honest transaction as I paid way over spot. Also I had to pay 1200 to have a delivery. I feel that I was taken advantage of even though in the beginning I was treated nicely. At the end I was allowed Four minutes to speak. I still do not know what I paid for each coin and how much the commission was.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Most all of the coins were in good shape. Order was received in good time. Count was good. Service was very good. Lear Capital price was in line with market price. When I want more coins I will contact Lear Capital. Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Mostly a good experience purchasing silver over the phone through Dana **. Although I felt he was a little too rushed and aggressive as well as occasionally impatient, we were able to accomplish the buy/sell.

Original review: May 31, 2018

What can I say? I only had only the most pleasant experience talking to Derek **, Senior Account Representative for Lear Capital. When I received the call, it was intended for someone else at my apartment but he wasn't ready to take the call so I took it. Now, normally, I wouldn't give the time or opportunity for a marketing call, but this was different. I had recently come into some money my dad left me after he passed away and so I decided to hear Derek out. He had the most pleasant voice, extremely professional and knowledgeable. He wasn't pushy at all. He always returned my phone calls and answered every question I had with quick follow through. He was amazing. I would have liked to have met him in person.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I like working with Lear Capital since you can order directly from their website without talking to a customer service representative. Of course the account managers are always helpful, it is just nice that it is not necessary to talk to anyone before making a purchase.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Lev and his team were very helpful in the whole process of the IRA transfer and actually getting me set up in the silver purchase. The whole team was very much on point kept me up to date with the progress until the task was complete. I never felt pressured but the attention to detail and time was great. Thanks to these people.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 28, 2018

I contacted Lear Capital in December 2016 to purchase some gold bullion. I talked with Andrew ** initially and told him what I wanted. He referred me to Dana **. I told Dana I wanted to purchase $55,176 worth of gold bullion. He did everything to pressure me from buying the gold. He told me the numismatic silver had the best value. I still wanted to purchase gold and Dana would not accept my request. Dana continued to push the silver and I finally gave in and purchased 1200 Polar Bear and Cub, 1.5-ounce silver coins for $45.98 each. The next day I analyzed the market prices for silver and called Dana telling him I wanted to change my order to gold. He told me these coins were rare, had a numismatic valve, and that commanded a higher price.

A few weeks later I contacted Dana to move my 401K account with $327,550 to precious metal. I told Dana I wanted this account to be in gold only. After going through the same hassle of him pushing toward the silver we decided on 1/3 gold and 2/3 silver. The silver was the 1.5-ounce Snow Falcon of which I received 4800 coins and the gold was the .25-ounce Snow Falcon of which I received 236 coins. The silver coins were $44.42 each. The gold coins were $44.42 each.

I continued to look at other reputable metals dealers over the next several months. All of them let me purchase whatever metal I wanted without any hassle. I discovered I could have purchased the same coins I purchased from Lear for a much lower price. The $45 silver 1.5-ounce coins could have been purchase from their competitors for about $30. When I purchased the silver the spot price was about $16.00 per ounce.

A 1.5-ounce silver coin has a spot price of about $25.00 per ounce. I paid $45.00 per coin or $15 higher than all the other reputable dealers. In December 2017 Andrew ** contacted me and stated the prices of the silver coins I had purchased were now over $50 per coin. He told me he had some special deals if I was interested. I told him I was not interest in purchasing any more metals.

In April 2018, Terry ** contacted and said the metals I had purchased were going through some tough market forces and the coins did not appreciate like had been expected. He made an offer to buy back all the metal I purchased. He told me that the only metal that could recover from the price drop was platinum. I figured since I paid so much for these coins the only way to recover was to bet on another metal. They offered me the spot price for the silver and the gold to buy platinum. I called Lear Capital the next day and told them since I lost so much in valuation I wanted to buy the gold instead. They again talked me out of the gold and pressured me into the platinum.

My return for the $382,726.00 I invested with Lear Capital was only $238,519.00. I had a loss of $144,207.00 after only 18 months. The commission they made from me was a 38% premium over spot and I had a negative 62% ROI. Whatever happened! Dana ** stated these coins were rare and had great numismatic value. Andrew ** stated in December 2017 the silver coins were now over $50 each. Terry ** stating these coins had not appreciated like expected in April 2018.

Lear Capital is clearly a pump and dump operation. They pump up the value of the coins, contact you to tell how the value has dropped so you will dump the coins with them, then they eventually resell the same coins to another unsuspecting investor to make their 38% premium again. I certainly will never recommend Lear Capital to anyone, or admit I was foolish enough to invest with them. Satisfaction is apparently not a priority.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was a newcomer in buying precious metals and researched many companies before buying. There were a very few that might have been cheaper to buy from, but those companies were not highly rated. Lear Capital is highly reputable, explained in detail which type of coins might have the best returns, and were patient with me. They worked with me to get the best possible deal. My account rep, Denise **, went above and beyond the call of duty in working with me. Kudos to her. They deserve the 5 stars.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Michael ** provide a much needed education and was very helpful in getting me started! My initial purchase was easy and everything from purchase to receiving was explained thoroughly and there were no problems! Will buy again soon.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Not told how much my purchase was over going rate. Salesmen was very respectful and informative about my interest in investment, although full disclosure about price and their profit was not revealed. I feel I might have done better elsewhere.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We are extremely pleased with the opportunity to share our review thru the ConsumerAffairs platform, of our recent investment opportunities consummated with Lear Capital(The Precious Metals Leader). The transaction was clearly and thoroughly explained and a definitive tone of professional dedication to our needs as well as all questions answered in a clear and confidence building manor-from Aaron **, Senior Account Representative to Katya **, Sales Director, and all support staff members, earns our recommendation to our complete circle of Family and Friends.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Since the very beginning of my conversation with Lear Capital, everything has been simple and exactly as we discussed. My Account Executive was informative and very responsive to my wishes. Once actually into the process, everything went just as indicated, with absolutely no hitches. I definitely plan on continuing my association with Lear Capital to ensure my future is on solid ground.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Jody is a real professional and provided me with detailed information to all my questions. From start to finish it was a stress free transaction. Everyone at Lear Capital is customer oriented and professional. Thank you!

No response received
Original review: April 27, 2018

First time order of IRA silver - My first time experience was totally disappointing. Two salespersons I dealt with were more interested in selling the silver pieces with the highest mark-up (which were absolutely outrageous).. No more dealings with Lear for me!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I was extremely pleased with my sales person. He wanted to give me the best that he could do. I only go to him because of his honesty. I recommend him to everybody that I know. His name is Cal.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Lev ** did a great job with my order. He explained everything to me in a very professional way so that I could understand what I was doing. He kept up with the progress of my order so that I knew exactly when it would arrive. It all made me feel very confident in Lear Capital.

Original review: April 23, 2018

The coin was exactly what was shown online. Delivery was not easy, for I live in a key entry apartment building. I had to convince FedEx to drop the coin package at one of their stores. It took 3 days to pick up my coin, for I am disabled and getting around is difficult. I suggest having my apartment manager sign for it by using UPS the next time I order from your organization. I understand the security and safeguarding of the valuable coin. I will likely do business with Lear in the future despite the delivery difficulties.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Everything that I was expecting and hoped for worked out. Calvin ** took care of everything and answered all of my questions. I was very happy with the prompt service and there were no delays when receiving my coins.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My account representative was forthcoming and first rate in his dealings with me. His interpersonal skills and knowledge of the market is exceptional. He sees the big picture and is aware of possible market conditions that may be coming in the near future. My account manager that expedited the actual transfer of funds was spot on and a pleasure to do business with. Warmest regards to all in sunny California!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Greatly appreciated the time spent by Sam ** and Charles **, explaining the ins and outs of precious metals purchase and ownership. I look forward to doing business with Lear Capital on future investment in precious metals.

No response received
Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchased a lot of gold and silver in special Royal Canadian Mint coins made just for Lear (they said). Called Polar Bears several years ago in 2015 from Lear based on all of the hype at the time from many reputable sources that the market was on the verge of a crash (again) and that gold is so undervalued and the price manipulated to keep it way down from what it should be considering the mass overprinting of dollars by the Fed which is true, and pundits were saying gold would go through the roof within a year as the markets crashed.

Well, this hasn't occurred and I do not think at this point even if/when the economy goes down, I still do not think gold is going up. The banks and the government simply won't allow this. No matter how much many people believe we have a "free market" system, this is a fairytale. The markets are "free" if you are Goldman Sachs, BP, etc. In reality, the markets are extremely controlled and markets do not determine prices at all.

Therefore the price of gold is controlled and will stay this way, for if market forces were indeed free to move as they should, gold at this point would be over $10,000.00 an ounce. It has moved on average about $275 upward in the past three years. Any annuity would easily pay more than this. Lear Capital has been charging prices as if it is still 2011 before gold crashed from its $1900 top out. When I bought it in 2015 the price was about $1050.00. I needed some cash a year ago and cashed in some gold and immediately lost a pile of cash. I needed $20,000.00 and to get this I had to pay about $32,000.00. I lost $12,000.00 to get what I needed. They take a third of everything which is thievery as no other gold dealer is anywhere near this amount going as low as 5%.

Later the account manager called me with a pitch that as a dedicated customer he was letting me and all of his important clients in on a great deal. Silver was going downhill he said and he wanted to move all of his clients over into bullion before it happened. Not knowing any better I did it. I lost $60,000.00 on the deal. Silver did not crash, the Polar Bears were bought back at less than two-thirds what I paid, and in buying bullion I took a severe hit. I do not trust these people to say the least and I'd be satisfied at this point if they just cut me a $30,000.00 cash check which is still a huge loss for me, but better than nothing. But I am not holding my breath.

Original review: April 10, 2018

The procedure in seeking information, obtaining instructions for proceeding, implementing the process was thoroughly explained and flawlessly and expeditiously completed. The only downside was after examining the formal sales agreement and finding it very negative in tone regarding trusting the advices of a sales representative. The sales agent was understanding and helpful in restoring faith in the transaction.

Lear Capital expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1997, Lear Capital is one of the leading dealers in precious metals in America. During its 17-year history, this company has transacted more than 2 billion dollars’ worth of precious metals.

• Spot price: Regularly updated trading values of gold, silver and platinum are displayed on the right hand side of the company home page, making the information easy find.

• Posted pricing: See exactly what is for sale and the price for each gold or silver coin with transparent pricing.

• IRA rollover: Get information on when and how to rollover an existing IRA to allow for precious metal investment.

• Price protection: If the price of gold in an IRA drops in the first 30 days, Lear Capital will adjust the amount of gold to meet the current value.

• Signup bonus: New account holders may be eligible to receive a $500 bonus when they meet the conditions for the new account promotion.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg