4.7/5 (1133 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Lear Capital

Lear Capital has been involved in the precious metals industry since 1997, and it's now completed more than $3 billion in transactions. It can help you buy, sell and trade bullion, rare coins and physical gold and silver. It also offers a Price Advantage Guarantee for added transparency.

Pros

• In business a relatively long time
  • Transparent pricing
  • Full-service gold dealer

Cons

• Website can be hard to navigate
  • Only one depository option

Bottom Line

Lear Capital lets you invest in precious metals through IRAs, bullion or rare coins. IRAs cost a relatively low flat fee, and your IRA investments are secured by Delaware Depository.

Top Lear Capital Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Ordering silver today was an easy process and a positive experience. Although I was unsure of what kind of silver to buy, Brad make me feel like I made the right choice and that i...

Verified

I couldn’t be happier with my experience. Morrey answered all of my questions and explained things thoroughly. He was very professional and personable, and the best part was that ...

Gold IRA disclaimer

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Lear Capital

Lear Capital can help you diversify your investment portfolios with precious metal bullion (coins and bars by weight), numismatic coins and precious metal IRAs. To help you make informed decisions, Lear Capital also provides real-time guidance and access to daily and weekly updates.

How does Lear Capital work?

Establishing a precious metals IRA with Lear Capital is a convenient way to diversify your portfolio. To begin, a dedicated account team member walks you through the application process, which takes about 10 minutes to complete. Once the application is processed and approved, your account is set up within 24 hours.

Lear Capital then reaches out to your current IRA custodian on your behalf to arrange for the tax-free rollover of your funds. The funds are transferred via bank wire and deposited into your new precious metals IRA.

You can then arrange to buy precious metals for your IRA. Lear Capital offers a three-step Price Advantage Guarantee for every transaction, which provides you with a written account agreement, a phone confirmation and a written confirmation. All IRA metals are stored in an IRS-approved vault courtesy of Delaware Depository. The metals are backed with a comprehensive insurance policy from Lloyd’s of London, too.

Lear Capital products and services

Lear Capital offers a variety of products and services, including:

• Self-directed IRAs: You can transfer funds or roll over portions of an existing IRA into a precious metals IRA. Your physical metals are stored in a private storage facility, but you get the same tax advantages as you would with a normal IRA.
  • Precious metals: You can buy rare coins and gold, silver and platinum bullion (including IRA-eligible products) on Lear Capital’s website. However, its online store is down at the time of publishing.

Lear Capital also has a comprehensive resource library that includes a precious metals encyclopedia, market charts and free guides on precious metals and retirement accounts.

Lear Capital cost

Lear Capital charges a flat $160 annual fee for self-directed IRAs and no other fees. This includes storage, insurance and 24/7 account access online. Pricing for individual gold, silver and platinum products varies over time, so it’s a good idea to check Lear Capital’s website or call to see the latest information.

Lear Capital FAQ

Which coins are IRA-eligible?

A full list of Lear Capital’s IRA-eligible coins can be found on its website. In general, gold bullion must be at least 99.5% pure, silver bullion must be 99.9% pure, and platinum bullion must be 99.95% pure.

How can I track the performance of my Lear Capital portfolio?

With Lear Capital, your IRA custodian, Self Directed IRA Services, Inc., will offer a website with 24/7 access to your portfolio’s performance. Lear Capital also provides quarterly statements that can be mailed directly to your home address.

Where are my metals stored with Lear Capital?

Lear Capital stores client metals with Delaware Depository, which is an IRS-approved depository. The depository also provides a comprehensive insurance policy underwritten by Lloyd’s of London.

Can I make contributions to my Lear Capital account?

Yes, you can set a recurring schedule to have your contributions automatically transferred into your precious metals IRA.

Is Lear Capital legit?

Working with Lear Capital to diversify your investment portfolio can be a smart choice. It offers bullion, numismatic coins and self-directed IRAs, so you have multiple options for investing in precious metals. Lear Capital also provides market data, insights and price notifications to help you protect and grow your investments, and this info is important if you want to be an active investor.

Lear Capital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lear Capital?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Everything received and in good order. Now I am just waiting for the market to adjust in my favor so I can, hopefully, make a profit on my investment. I have found my representative, Kevin, to be very helpful, courteous and quick on response to my assistance.

Lear Capital response

Norman, thank you for taking the time to share your review of Lear Capital! We are happy to hear that Kevin was a good partner to your investment. We look forward to a market adjustment too! Please don't hesitate to reach out to Kevin or our team with any future questions or concerns: CustomerCare@learcapital.com or 1-800-885-LEAR(5327).

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Dimitri took his own time on a Saturday to explain the various products to me. He had me draw out a chart explaining the differences so I could easily see what to choose. I felt that he loved the gold business and cared about me being satisfied with my purchase. I did not choose to go through Lear this time but I might in the future.

Lear Capital response

Ellen, thank you for sharing such kind words about Dmitri! We're glad to hear he was able to help you learn about metals. Please don't hesitate to reach back out with other questions.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Frank was a great salesman as he was able to answer all my questions and directed me in the way that I needed to go. This was my first purchase and I felt very comfortable with his guidance as I have thought about purchasing for a long time but did not feel comfortable making the purchase until I talked to Frank.

Lear Capital response

Clark, thank you for your kind words about Frank! We are always happy to hear when our account representatives have been able to provide knowledge, confidence and excellence to our amazing customers. Thank you for taking the time to share, and thank you for choosing Lear Capital!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Mr. ** has been superb in helping me invest in precious metals. Lear Capital is fortunate to have as an associate, a person who is sincere, customer oriented, and passionate about what he does to help novice investors like me. I would not hesitate to refer him to my family and friends, knowing that he will give them the peace of mind that Mr. ** had given me. He is truly a “5-Star” member of the Lear Capital family.

Lear Capital response

Phil, thank you for such high commendation of Lear Capital. We appreciate the opportunity to partner with you, and we are grateful for your encouraging words about Morrey. Please don't hesitate to ever reach back out!

Original review: July 6, 2022

I had been hearing more about the benefits of investing in gold/silver, but didn’t know where to start. Someone had sent me some info about Lear Capital so I thought I would give them a call. I was nervous and a bit skeptical at first. From the moment I talked to Daniel, he put my mind at ease, explaining everything in ways I would understand and made this such an easy process.

My husband hadn’t been in on my call and was initially concerned about my investment in silver through Lear. When I called Daniel back to discuss, he sent me so many good articles and offered to talk with my husband as well. I have appreciated how I have received really quick responses to my inquiries as well as updates about my investment. I feel confident that I made the right choice going through Lear especially now that I have been watching my monetary investments plummet. I highly recommend Lear Capital.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

What I ordered arrived in a timely fashion even though I had to wait extra time because I ordered using a card. The customer service and products more than made up for it. Adam who was my agent was very helpful and cordial and would go the extra mile to make sure I was taken care of. Can't imagine going to anyone else for buying your gold and silver.

Lear Capital response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Aaron! We're happy to hear that Adam was a helpful partner in your investment process. Thank you for choosing Lear Capital!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Reid explained each step in the process and its importance when buying silver. He was very professional with me since I was a first-time buyer. He also explained the information again. Tthe basis for each question that was recorded.

Lear Capital response

Darell, thank you for the gracious words about Reid! We are glad to hear you had a positive experience, and we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Thank you for choosing Lear Capital.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

This was my first experience in purchasing precious metals. Lear Capital made it so easy. Dana and Owen have been so helpful. They continue to answer any question I have had through the transaction process. I never hesitate to call when I have a question.

Lear Capital response

Mr. Myers, thank you for your taking the time to share your experience! We are happy to hear that Dana and Owen were helpful partners to your investment and are glad that you've had good communication with our team. Thank you for choosing Lear Capital!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Everyone was very helpful. Order was received in a timely manner. There was a problem with my payment not getting linked to my order. I had to resend the check. Everything worked out ok. I will definitely order from them again.

Lear Capital response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, Michael. We are glad everything worked out and appreciate your patience in the process. Thank you for choosing Lear Capital!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I appreciated working with Dmitri: highly professional, excellent communicator, excellent knowledge on US, Europe. My satisfaction rating is excellent. Dmitri did show a high degree of willingness to introduce me in the world of metals, white and yellow.

Lear Capital response

Adrian, thank you for sharing your positive experience with Dmitri! We're glad you are happy with the knowledge and service you received. We appreciate you choosing to partner with Lear Capital.

Lear Capital Company Information