Call toll free
4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1997, Lear Capital has been one of America’s leaders in precious metals investing with $2 billion in trusted transactions. Our mission is to ensure investors maintain a diversified strategy as we provide the tools needed to buy, sell and trade bullion, rare coins, and physical gold and silver - all backed by an “Investor-Friendly Service Guarantee”.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

923 Lear Capital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Joe ** contacted me by home phone, cell phone and email to let me know my investments were going down rapidly. He made a recommendation to switch out of gold and silver to platinum so I thought about it and agreed to do it. So far, good call! Thanks!

Get expert buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My first experience to invest in metals. Gary was very helpful in his suggestions and warnings. Lear kept me informed during shipping. Now my expectations are to grow my investment in the next few years.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After reading some articles, I decided to start buying silver coins for my son twice a year. I can only make small purchases at a time, but the service I have received has been for that of a large investor. I appreciate professionalism and courtesy and have received the best from Lear. I will continue to make my purchases from Lear.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I had a pleasant experience with Mr. Aaron **, my purchasing agent. We conversed frequently about my investment concerns. I believe his guidance and direction helped me make the right purchase. Thanks, Michael.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Purchase of 2017 Grizzly Bear Silver Coins. I worked with Matt first, then Brian and then Eric. They were all very helpful and did a fabulous job for both my husband Dan and me. We are very happy with our purchases. I have referred your silver product to 2 friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lear Capital?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

In October 2009 I purchase $21000 in gold coins through Account Rep Robert **, I wanted gold as a hedge, I could not see coins as the way to go, however, Robert Assured me this was the best investment strategy for the future. Well here I am 9 years later and need to sell my gold coins... I am devastated, the highest offer from gold coin buyers was $3100 for exactly half of my great investment. My 401K has gone up an average 7.25% in this same period, a decline of 78%. Don't ask how I feel about losing this much value on gold I was SOLD on being the best investment. Do your homework. I am 75 years old and broken that I have reduced mine and my spouse invest in one sector... I will not stop telling others of this complete ruse.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Working with Lear Capital made purchasing our silver coins very easy. They made sure we were fully aware of the risks and type of silver to purchase. They kept in touch throughout the entire process. Very satisfied customer.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

The value of my investment went down almost 35-40% the day after it was invested. (His commission? Really? Not even realistic.) I made a couple of calls to my adviser right after but never heard back from him. Guess he got my money and then moved on to another sucker.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have been purchasing precious metals from Lear Capital from Calvin ** for a few years. Calvin has provided great service. My last experience however was the opposite of this service. I transferred $53,924.00 from an existing IRA to add to my precious metals IRA that I have been doing with Lear and Strata Trust. I got a call from Alex ** in Calvin’s absence saying that my transferred funds had arrived. Our conversation was around my wanting 47 – 1 ounce American Eagles. Alex said he can do “denominations” of ¼ ounce for the same deal with no premium and that I would buy at spot price of $1150.00. What we agreed to, (which was 47 ounces of Gold whether in 1 ounce or ¼ ounce coins) was not what was conveyed in the fast talking “confirmation” that got recorded. Rather I got charged $1928.57 per ounce and received only 28 ounces.

I would like this fixed ASAP please. I am a ongoing client that would like the client experience that is stated on the Lear Capital website: "At Lear Capital your satisfaction is our top priority. Your account representative is your primary contact; however, if you have any questions or concerns which you believe may require someone other than your representative, please call our dedicated Customer Care line at 1-800-885-LEAR(5327), or email us at **."

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Very excellent information on quotes and excellent follow through on orders. Good information on helping in buying metals like silver and gold. Excellent information on bullion and proof metals. My rep Gary ** continued to help me make the right choices.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I have been working with Dean ** for some time. He has been very helpful in making my first purchase of precious metals for my IRA. I am really pleased with the results and with the assistance Dean provided.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I am very pleased with the attentiveness and professional conduct of all Lear representatives I have dealt with recently. Questions and concerns have been addressed to my satisfaction and I would recommend the firm to family and friends.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Jody is a great asset to Lear Capital. She was very professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. It was a pleasure to talk with her, and work with her in setting up my account. I look forward to a long history of business with Lear and Jody. I have and will recommend Lear to others.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My experience with the ordering and receiving process of our shipments of gold and silver was extraordinary! First of all Kelly ** was extremely patient with me as this was the first time I had purchased gold and silver. Kelly worked with me for several months before I felt comfortable with the process! When we finally decided to order, she was very helpful with describing the market and fluctuations. She carefully described how to safeguard and store the purchase. My only surprise was the weight and bulk of the shipment. I would give Kelly a superior rating on her service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My experience w/ the account executive was very satisfactory. I am a novice to the process & was talked thru it at a level l could understand & make decisions on. The purchase amount/investment was significant to me. While l’m sure Todd deals in much larger dollar amounts on a regular basis, he took all the time required to make me feel confident in the process.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I ordered wanting to ship to a third party. Somehow the shipping instructions got confused and product was delivered at my address. Between fed-ex and LCI, product was re-routed and received correctly within 48 hrs.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Coins and 10 ounce bars were high quality. The 100 ounce bars were different sizes looking like the came from different mints and some of them had copper deposits on the surface. Not happy with the quality of the 100 ounce bars.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was convinced that Silver coins were the way to go and wait 3-5 yrs. I immediately lost $120K on the initial investment when it was deposited in Strata. I was told that is because Strata can only go by the weight not the worth. One year later they are telling the coins are only worth their weight - nothing more. They want me to move to Platinum bullion. How many people have been ripped off this way? They are professionals at ripping people off. How they sleep at night I don't know. Karma will have its way.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I purchased numerous coins off of Lear Capital and each time I was not disappointed. From buying a coin to receiving it I was very happy with their service. I will continue to use them throughout my lifetime.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have intended to purchase for some time but was unsure how to proceed. Checked online and decided on Lear Capital. The process was simple and straightforward and I received my shipment exactly as described and problem free.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I appreciate the patience Aaron has. He worked for weeks with me to help me make my decision. He answered all my questions as I have been looking at investing in metals for 5 years, but never felt I was talking to the right person. Aaron filled the bill.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I worked with two people in getting my 401k transferred into precious metals in my IRA. They were Derek and Erick. I thought they did a superb job. They did the calling with me to the administrator of my 401k and helped me get it transferred and shipping of documents was pretty quick. They answered my questions without making me feel pressured.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 25, 2018

I was notified by my Customer Account Agent that he felt bad that the silver purchased previously had not recovered and that the best move was to transfer existing account into platinum that they felt was going to move in the near future. I lost $44,000 on the initial trade into silver as a result of nothing more than the purchase. Now my IRA has lost another $16,000 dollars due to purchasing the platinum. That was a 44 percent cost to purchase the silver and now another 31 percent to purchase the platinum. I have lost faith in this company due to failure by them to notify me of the large cost of nothing more than the purchase with little hope of recovery in the near future. IRA is now down $64,000 dollars due to their guidance and failure to communicate upfront cost which are excessive... I am not a happy camper.

Lear Capital response

Larry you did purchase on 12/13/2016 and at that time spot was $16.91, when you purchased the metals and you were made aware of the ask to cost fee (it’s on the recording) in addition to the investment of $XX,XX7, you received a promo of 43 1.5 ounce silver coins sent direct to you at the time of purchase. The price for those coins was $45+each. Since then YES silver has gone down as the stock market has increased (it’s like a seesaw – stock market up = metals prices down). But with a 3-5 year time span, metals have performed well over the past 20 years. We encourage you to contact us if you are determined to sell your position earlier than this time and we will work with you to ensure you get the highest allowable valuation on the market. We appreciate your business and wish to retain you as a client for years to come.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Jody ** is truly a professional who cares for her clients. I have never felt like she was in a hurry when explaining gold and silver as an investment. Her assistant, Hemi, is very helpful and pleasant. They make a great team.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I received my purchase very timely. Cal was very helpful and knowledgeable about what I wanted to do. The entire experience was very professional. Thank you for the updates and I hope to continue with you and see a good profit margin in the future.

Original review: July 13, 2018

60 Canadian snowy owl silver coins. I was led [byTV ads} to believe I would get more complimentary coins than I actually received. Then told by Joe that he would take care of this discrepancy, but did not. I later was told that my purchase was not large enough to qualify for that promotion. Your TV ads are not adequately explained. Other than that it was a good transaction.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Your managers are first rate saleman that know the buttons to push to get you where they want your to go. They stress they are not your financial planner yet led me at my option based on a combination of your advertising and the agent they lead you down the trail they want you to follow. To the novice like me they took my $90,000. mutual funds and reduced my investment in gold down to $21,000. The Silver Falcon was a bust from the beginning and I predict it will remain so yet that is the one being "pushed". Never again!

Original review: June 29, 2018

As a first time coin buyer I was impressed with the patient and informed manner in which I was treated. Mr. Aaron ** straight away recognized my lack of knowledge in regard to the silver market and particularly silver coins, created an understandable platform of knowledge, and anticipating my every question painted a clear picture of this business.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I am a first time buyer. Sam ** and Bill ** were fantastic to help educate me. They were not pushy. Answered my questions no matter how trivial it may have seemed to them and then me. The shipment of the silver was easy and trouble free. Enough that I made another purchase.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Peace silver dollars and Snowy Owl one and a half once silver. Thanks to Danny ** and Lear Capital for the opportunity of owning a great product such as silver coins. Beautiful coins and a great investment.

Lear Capital expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1997, Lear Capital is one of the leading dealers in precious metals in America. During its 17-year history, this company has transacted more than 2 billion dollars’ worth of precious metals.

• Spot price: Regularly updated trading values of gold, silver and platinum are displayed on the right hand side of the company home page, making the information easy find.

• Posted pricing: See exactly what is for sale and the price for each gold or silver coin with transparent pricing.

• IRA rollover: Get information on when and how to rollover an existing IRA to allow for precious metal investment.

• Price protection: If the price of gold in an IRA drops in the first 30 days, Lear Capital will adjust the amount of gold to meet the current value.

• Signup bonus: New account holders may be eligible to receive a $500 bonus when they meet the conditions for the new account promotion.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg