4.7/5 (1122 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Lear Capital

Lear Capital has been involved in the precious metals industry since 1997, and it's now completed more than $3 billion in transactions. It can help you buy, sell and trade bullion, rare coins and physical gold and silver. It also offers a Price Advantage Guarantee for added transparency.

Pros

• In business a relatively long time
  • Transparent pricing
  • Full-service gold dealer

Cons

• Website can be hard to navigate
  • Only one depository option

Bottom Line

Lear Capital lets you invest in precious metals through IRAs, bullion or rare coins. IRAs cost a relatively low flat fee, and your IRA investments are secured by Delaware Depository.

Top Lear Capital Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Ordering silver today was an easy process and a positive experience. Although I was unsure of what kind of silver to buy, Brad make me feel like I made the right choice and that i...

Verified

I couldn’t be happier with my experience. Morrey answered all of my questions and explained things thoroughly. He was very professional and personable, and the best part was that ...

Gold IRA disclaimer

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Lear Capital

Lear Capital can help you diversify your investment portfolios with precious metal bullion (coins and bars by weight), numismatic coins and precious metal IRAs. To help you make informed decisions, Lear Capital also provides real-time guidance and access to daily and weekly updates.

How does Lear Capital work?

Establishing a precious metals IRA with Lear Capital is a convenient way to diversify your portfolio. To begin, a dedicated account team member walks you through the application process, which takes about 10 minutes to complete. Once the application is processed and approved, your account is set up within 24 hours.

Lear Capital then reaches out to your current IRA custodian on your behalf to arrange for the tax-free rollover of your funds. The funds are transferred via bank wire and deposited into your new precious metals IRA.

You can then arrange to buy precious metals for your IRA. Lear Capital offers a three-step Price Advantage Guarantee for every transaction, which provides you with a written account agreement, a phone confirmation and a written confirmation. All IRA metals are stored in an IRS-approved vault courtesy of Delaware Depository. The metals are backed with a comprehensive insurance policy from Lloyd’s of London, too.

Lear Capital products and services

Lear Capital offers a variety of products and services, including:

• Self-directed IRAs: You can transfer funds or roll over portions of an existing IRA into a precious metals IRA. Your physical metals are stored in a private storage facility, but you get the same tax advantages as you would with a normal IRA.
  • Precious metals: You can buy rare coins and gold, silver and platinum bullion (including IRA-eligible products) on Lear Capital’s website. However, its online store is down at the time of publishing.

Lear Capital also has a comprehensive resource library that includes a precious metals encyclopedia, market charts and free guides on precious metals and retirement accounts.

Lear Capital cost

Lear Capital charges a flat $160 annual fee for self-directed IRAs and no other fees. This includes storage, insurance and 24/7 account access online. Pricing for individual gold, silver and platinum products varies over time, so it’s a good idea to check Lear Capital’s website or call to see the latest information.

Lear Capital FAQ

Which coins are IRA-eligible?
A full list of Lear Capital’s IRA-eligible coins can be found on its website. In general, gold bullion must be at least 99.5% pure, silver bullion must be 99.9% pure, and platinum bullion must be 99.95% pure.
How can I track the performance of my Lear Capital portfolio?
With Lear Capital, your IRA custodian, Self Directed IRA Services, Inc., will offer a website with 24/7 access to your portfolio’s performance. Lear Capital also provides quarterly statements that can be mailed directly to your home address.
Where are my metals stored with Lear Capital?
Lear Capital stores client metals with Delaware Depository, which is an IRS-approved depository. The depository also provides a comprehensive insurance policy underwritten by Lloyd’s of London.
Can I make contributions to my Lear Capital account?
Yes, you can set a recurring schedule to have your contributions automatically transferred into your precious metals IRA.

Is Lear Capital legit?

Working with Lear Capital to diversify your investment portfolio can be a smart choice. It offers bullion, numismatic coins and self-directed IRAs, so you have multiple options for investing in precious metals. Lear Capital also provides market data, insights and price notifications to help you protect and grow your investments, and this info is important if you want to be an active investor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lear Capital?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Mr. ** has been superb in helping me invest in precious metals. Lear Capital is fortunate to have as an associate, a person who is sincere, customer oriented, and passionate about what he does to help novice investors like me. I would not hesitate to refer him to my family and friends, knowing that he will give them the peace of mind that Mr. ** had given me. He is truly a “5-Star” member of the Lear Capital family.

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

It is my extreme pleasure and honor to send in a description of my dealings with Mr. **. I have in my life experiences and work experiences dealt with tons and tons of different personalities, I put Mr. ** at the top of every category. I because of Dmitri will be back and will tell everyone I know to do business with Lear because of Dmitri. Thank you. Dan **

Lear Capital response

Dan, thank you for sharing your positive experience with Dmitri! We're grateful you chose Lear Capital and trusted us with your investment.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I had been hearing more about the benefits of investing in gold/silver, but didn’t know where to start. Someone had sent me some info about Lear Capital so I thought I would give them a call. I was nervous and a bit skeptical at first. From the moment I talked to Daniel, he put my mind at ease, explaining everything in ways I would understand and made this such an easy process.

My husband hadn’t been in on my call and was initially concerned about my investment in silver through Lear. When I called Daniel back to discuss, he sent me so many good articles and offered to talk with my husband as well. I have appreciated how I have received really quick responses to my inquiries as well as updates about my investment. I feel confident that I made the right choice going through Lear especially now that I have been watching my monetary investments plummet. I highly recommend Lear Capital.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

This was our first major investment in precious metals. We were uncertain on how to go about our purchase. But Morrey ** was very very helpful explaining and guiding us through the process. He is a wreath of knowledge. He kept in constant contact with us thru the whole process, and thanks to Morrey everything went smoothly as he said that it would. Would recommend Lear Capital and Morrey to anyone interested in precious metals. Thanks to Morrey, Roger and Linda ** Spokane Valley, Wash.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Dmitri answered my call to Lear, he came across as honest, helpful, and truthful. No pressure just talking to the guy sitting next to me. I appreciate that! I told him what I was looking for and he answered my questions. I shared my experience with a competitor of yours. There was a stark difference. Please give Dmitri a raise or a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. He is the reason your company will succeed. Thank you.

Merle

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

This is my first venture into metals, the information, knowledge and comfortable rapport of this process has been almost as thrilling as holding my coins. To have and to hold has taken on a whole new meaning. I look forward to a continuous relationship with Lear and my agent who has made such a meaningful delight of the process.

Lear Capital response

Edna, we're so happy you've had a great experience with Lear Capital! We're glad you appreciate having physical investments as much as we do. Thank you for allowing us to partner with you!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Metals I’m really glad I took the step to move forward with my purchase. Lear Capital Took me through all the steps and made me feel really comfortable. I recommend this for people to have 401 and for the self-confidence. I’m really happy and I will recommend Lear Capital to my other coworker. Thank you.

Lear Capital response

Thank you for your kind words, Michael! We're grateful for the opportunity to work with you and really appreciate your referral to friends! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have any questions or concerns: CustomerCare@learcapital.com or 1-800-885-LEAR(5327)

Original review: July 19, 2022

Brade ** was so helpful and polite each time I talked to him. I also was pleased with the information he gave me. I knew nothing about selling precious metals. I was very pleased with the timing with things were handled. I would recommend Brad to my friends.

Lear Capital response

Carol, thank you for your kind words about Brad. We're grateful you had a great experience with us, as we hope for all of our clients!

Original review: July 9, 2022

We contacted lear with many questions, and not a clue on buying silver or gold. Questions were answered, and I felt totally at ease. Daniel was helpful pleasant patient and informative. We did with his guidance move an existing Ira into a silver/Ira with Lear. All a positive experience especially with the process of transferring. All of it and each step ..was an easy positive process.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Daniel had been a great asset. He help me through the difficult process of getting silver. Which I received today everything is great. I plan to work with him in the future. I am watching the stock market. And may plan to convert my IRA to a silver or gold IRA. If you have any questions feel free to call me.

Lear Capital Company Information