4.74/5
Based on 840 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1997, Lear Capital has been one of America’s leaders in precious metals investing with $2 billion in trusted transactions. Our mission is to ensure investors maintain a diversified strategy as we provide the tools needed to buy, sell and trade bullion, rare coins, and physical gold and silver - all backed by an “Investor-Friendly Service Guarantee”.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 18, 2018

882 Lear Capital Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was a newcomer in buying precious metals and researched many companies before buying. There were a very few that might have been cheaper to buy from, but those companies were not highly rated. Lear Capital is highly reputable, explained in detail which type of coins might have the best returns, and were patient with me. They worked with me to get the best possible deal. My account rep, Denise **, went above and beyond the call of duty in working with me. Kudos to her. They deserve the 5 stars.

Get expert buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Michael ** provide a much needed education and was very helpful in getting me started! My initial purchase was easy and everything from purchase to receiving was explained thoroughly and there were no problems! Will buy again soon.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Not told how much my purchase was over going rate. Salesmen was very respectful and informative about my interest in investment, although full disclosure about price and their profit was not revealed. I feel I might have done better elsewhere.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We are extremely pleased with the opportunity to share our review thru the ConsumerAffairs platform, of our recent investment opportunities consummated with Lear Capital(The Precious Metals Leader). The transaction was clearly and thoroughly explained and a definitive tone of professional dedication to our needs as well as all questions answered in a clear and confidence building manor-from Aaron **, Senior Account Representative to Katya **, Sales Director, and all support staff members, earns our recommendation to our complete circle of Family and Friends.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Since the very beginning of my conversation with Lear Capital, everything has been simple and exactly as we discussed. My Account Executive was informative and very responsive to my wishes. Once actually into the process, everything went just as indicated, with absolutely no hitches. I definitely plan on continuing my association with Lear Capital to ensure my future is on solid ground.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lear Capital?

Original review: April 30, 2018

Jody is a real professional and provided me with detailed information to all my questions. From start to finish it was a stress free transaction. Everyone at Lear Capital is customer oriented and professional. Thank you!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 27, 2018

First time order of IRA silver - My first time experience was totally disappointing. Two salespersons I dealt with were more interested in selling the silver pieces with the highest mark-up (which were absolutely outrageous).. No more dealings with Lear for me!!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I was extremely pleased with my sales person. He wanted to give me the best that he could do. I only go to him because of his honesty. I recommend him to everybody that I know. His name is Cal.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Lev ** did a great job with my order. He explained everything to me in a very professional way so that I could understand what I was doing. He kept up with the progress of my order so that I knew exactly when it would arrive. It all made me feel very confident in Lear Capital.

Original review: April 23, 2018

The coin was exactly what was shown online. Delivery was not easy, for I live in a key entry apartment building. I had to convince FedEx to drop the coin package at one of their stores. It took 3 days to pick up my coin, for I am disabled and getting around is difficult. I suggest having my apartment manager sign for it by using UPS the next time I order from your organization. I understand the security and safeguarding of the valuable coin. I will likely do business with Lear in the future despite the delivery difficulties.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Everything that I was expecting and hoped for worked out. Calvin ** took care of everything and answered all of my questions. I was very happy with the prompt service and there were no delays when receiving my coins.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My account representative was forthcoming and first rate in his dealings with me. His interpersonal skills and knowledge of the market is exceptional. He sees the big picture and is aware of possible market conditions that may be coming in the near future. My account manager that expedited the actual transfer of funds was spot on and a pleasure to do business with. Warmest regards to all in sunny California!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Greatly appreciated the time spent by Sam ** and Charles **, explaining the ins and outs of precious metals purchase and ownership. I look forward to doing business with Lear Capital on future investment in precious metals.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchased a lot of gold and silver in special Royal Canadian Mint coins made just for Lear (they said). Called Polar Bears several years ago in 2015 from Lear based on all of the hype at the time from many reputable sources that the market was on the verge of a crash (again) and that gold is so undervalued and the price manipulated to keep it way down from what it should be considering the mass overprinting of dollars by the Fed which is true, and pundits were saying gold would go through the roof within a year as the markets crashed.

Well, this hasn't occurred and I do not think at this point even if/when the economy goes down, I still do not think gold is going up. The banks and the government simply won't allow this. No matter how much many people believe we have a "free market" system, this is a fairytale. The markets are "free" if you are Goldman Sachs, BP, etc. In reality, the markets are extremely controlled and markets do not determine prices at all.

Therefore the price of gold is controlled and will stay this way, for if market forces were indeed free to move as they should, gold at this point would be over $10,000.00 an ounce. It has moved on average about $275 upward in the past three years. Any annuity would easily pay more than this. Lear Capital has been charging prices as if it is still 2011 before gold crashed from its $1900 top out. When I bought it in 2015 the price was about $1050.00. I needed some cash a year ago and cashed in some gold and immediately lost a pile of cash. I needed $20,000.00 and to get this I had to pay about $32,000.00. I lost $12,000.00 to get what I needed. They take a third of everything which is thievery as no other gold dealer is anywhere near this amount going as low as 5%.

Later the account manager called me with a pitch that as a dedicated customer he was letting me and all of his important clients in on a great deal. Silver was going downhill he said and he wanted to move all of his clients over into bullion before it happened. Not knowing any better I did it. I lost $60,000.00 on the deal. Silver did not crash, the Polar Bears were bought back at less than two-thirds what I paid, and in buying bullion I took a severe hit. I do not trust these people to say the least and I'd be satisfied at this point if they just cut me a $30,000.00 cash check which is still a huge loss for me, but better than nothing. But I am not holding my breath.

Original review: April 10, 2018

The procedure in seeking information, obtaining instructions for proceeding, implementing the process was thoroughly explained and flawlessly and expeditiously completed. The only downside was after examining the formal sales agreement and finding it very negative in tone regarding trusting the advices of a sales representative. The sales agent was understanding and helpful in restoring faith in the transaction.

Original review: April 4, 2018

We purchased silver coins through Dimitri **, and I can't say enough on his service to us. I knew nothing about precious metals, he walked us through a ton of info. I will continue using his services.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am a private individual who was helped greatly by my account rep, Derek **. He explained the transaction very clearly which could have been complicated and was very fair. I am not a new client but he was able to get approval to treat me as one for this transaction which resulted in me being able to take advantage of a sales promotion which enable me to receive 43 additional $0.5 half dollar 90% silver coins. I would certainly recommend him to my friends in the future.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Easy IRA transition to self directed with precious metals. Alex supplied all the necessary paperwork even filling out information for the highly ranked STRATA Trust Co. which holds my precious metal purchase according to IRS rules. Alex explained clearly all the questions I had including how to sell or transfer my holdings. Yes, I would recommend Lear Capital.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We are very displeased with Lear Capital. We were misled with many things by them. We let them know up front that we did not know much about gold and silver. We were looking to protect our retirement savings, only then to be taken advantage of. Lear charged us well over 30% of our retirement upfront without properly explaining the fees and value of what they said we should buy. When we tried to cancel, our agent, Chris ** lied to us and led us to believe that the price of gold and silver had started gaining some of our money back. We found out that was in fact a lie. The gold and silver market had gone down and we had lost still more, approximately 40%, of our retirement because there was no special value to the gold and silver they sold us. We feel Lear Capital is a very bad company to do business with.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Approximately one and a half years ago I gave them $30,000.00 for silver. I was tapped but honestly don't remember them giving me any numbers regarding commission payments. I've made mistakes in my life but this was the most drastic and more than likely the most irreparable. I've never bought metal and was totally talked into it and they knew exactly what they were doing. I am a senior and it was my fault for believing anything this company has to offer. With the price of silver basically the same as it was when I bought it. I will never ever regain what I gave them along with shipping and handling and commission. Beware to any new customers. You will be hoodwinked! I'm sure you can look up my order number. I don't have it handy!

Original review: March 23, 2018

100% pleased with the way my transactions were handled. The verbal 'questionnaire' was very helpful, laying out the terms and conditions of my purchases, exactly. The speed of the transactions was also appreciated, taking advantage of advantageous pricing. My contact, Raad **, was very personable and professional.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I am not a wealthy investor and have meager knowledge of how best to provide security for ourselves. Peter has always helped me to obtain silver in the amount I could afford. This time he was especially helpful and I have another order pending.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Bill and everyone else at Lear did an excellent job taking care of my first order. I had talked to Bill before I ordered, concerning a larger investment in gold and silver that I was considering. Some things happened causing me to reduce my first order until a land investment closed. Bill still treated me with respect and kindness, even while I wait to make a larger purchase. I will recommend Lear to my friends.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 15, 2018

I just watched a commercial about investing in silver through Lear Capital, called the phone number and the operator was rude as hell. I told him that I was interested in purchasing silver, and he wanted to know my initial investment. I told him I was looking to start off somewhere between $500 to $ 1,000, and he told me that the phone line is only for people who have millions of dollars or looking to invest tens of thousands of dollars at a time. Needless to say, I will never purchase a single piece of any precious mineral from Lear Capital. They don't know my finances, and while I do have the funds to invest $10,000 and silver, it doesn't mean that I'm going to do so just because he wants to belittle me.

I honestly wanted to get a copy of their investing magazine, to see what they predict with market trends and then make an educated decision of whether silver was right for me. I would have had no problem dropping $1,000 in the silver today just to see where it goes, but being that I'm not willing to fork over $10,000 they don't have the time for me. Remember this when you call them, because unless you're going to fork over half of your savings, refinance your house to make a purchase, or sell your first-born to make a purchase they don't have time for you either.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I'm always very pleased with Lear Capital. They are really a good group of folks to work with. They will look for great deals, and won't ever pressure you to buy something you don't think you need. My most recent purchase was very convenient. Being a repeat customer comes with a few advantages, I recommend it. I enjoy collecting gold and silver and use it as an small pool of my overall investment strategy as well as peace of mind if the time ever comes that I need to trade the coins in for other items of value. Overall all the coins I've order are very beautiful and have great luster.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Cal was very helpful. Took his time. Answer all my silly question. Made my transaction go very smooth and I felt relieved. Look forward to doing business with Cal again very soon. Thank you again for your patience and answers.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My most recent precious metal coin purchase was the best one I have ever done. I had a great interface with Dana there at Lear, and I felt very comfortable with the purchase. I feel that Dana was extremely knowledgeable as well as informative and professional with me. I feel that I got a good deal, too. I will definitely plan to purchase again from Lear - thanks to Dana.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Your personnel are very good in providing the type of service expected for the industry you are in. You have dedicated and responsible personnel (Derek) and I am very appreciative for the effort he made on my behalf.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have already recommended a friend (Brett **). I believe he has already made a purchase. I am very satisfied with the process at Lear. No sales pressure, No hassle. I buy silver every time I get a bonus, raise or extra windfall of any kind.

No response received
Original review: March 5, 2018

Before I canceled my account I wish the person I talked with would have told to me hold on till I reach 70 1/2 years of age before taking it out. I decided to put it back and then was charged over $200 to reverse my decision. The prior guy (Blalock) did me wrong. I would have been ahead if I keep it in gold from 2007 up to this time. Look at the history report and you will see what I mean. Sometimes I think I should have gotten an attorney and fought for the money I've lost with Lear Capital. That would have put a black mark on Lear for bad dealing with me and who knows who else. And getting one silver coin won't get back the lost. Have a great day.

Lear Capital expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 1997, Lear Capital is one of the leading dealers in precious metals in America. During its 17-year history, this company has transacted more than 2 billion dollars’ worth of precious metals.

• Spot price: Regularly updated trading values of gold, silver and platinum are displayed on the right hand side of the company home page, making the information easy find.

• Posted pricing: See exactly what is for sale and the price for each gold or silver coin with transparent pricing.

• IRA rollover: Get information on when and how to rollover an existing IRA to allow for precious metal investment.

• Price protection: If the price of gold in an IRA drops in the first 30 days, Lear Capital will adjust the amount of gold to meet the current value.

• Signup bonus: New account holders may be eligible to receive a $500 bonus when they meet the conditions for the new account promotion.

• Best for: This gold and precious metal investment company is best for retirees, savers and speculators.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg