4.69/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1997, Lear Capital has been one of America’s leaders in precious metals investing with $3 billion in trusted transactions. Our mission is to ensure investors maintain a diversified strategy as we provide the tools needed to buy, sell and trade bullion, rare coins, and physical gold and silver - all backed by an “Investor-Friendly Service Guarantee”.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1015 Lear Capital Consumer Reviews

View 4 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I have ordered silver and gold coins from Lear Capital for over ten years. I have received professional service and support when I have questions about my orders. I feel secure ordering precious metals from Lear Capital and always feel like I'm obtaining a fair market price.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Derek ** helped me through the allocation of my $25,000 purchase. I am very pleased with his time and patience with me, as I am a novice with precious metals. I would recommend anyone to take a look and chat with Lear Capital. Thanks for such a great service investment company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Paul ** my account rep. Is great. He has made buying silver very easy. Has helped every step of the way. My experience with Lear has been awesome and definitely plan on using them again and again. I recommend them to everyone I know for their precious metals purchases! Great job!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I thought the lines of communication were open and broker was helpful before our purchase of metals. We were walked through all the paperwork and procedures. However after the purchase and set up of our IRA I had a hard time getting a response to a question I had. I had the feeling that once sale was made we just are not important anymore.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Wouldn’t recommend to anyone I know. Lied to about Markup and later was told that was Premium. Told it would weigh about 400 pounds, ended up being about 225 pounds. Told I was buying in at $15.54, net at $15.22 when factoring in promotional coins. Reality was closer to $39. Two weeks later silver was up to $17.22 but my $100k investment was now worth $67k. Totally lied to over and over again. Played a game of semantics. Thinking of buying precious metals IRA up to a million but won’t invest another penny.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lear Capital?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Silver Orca Coins. I have placed and received two separate orders and will probably being purchasing more. I was pleased with the order processing, especially dealing with Denise. We had a small blip with my last order and Denise advised me of the issue and kept me informed on shipping. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Lear Capital made the process very easy, I let them know what I was looking for and they provided timely market information to help me. My questions were answered immediately whenever I asked them. I knew how the process would work and the commission I would pay before any transactions occurred. I was also given information about selling my investment in the future and the scenarios that could unfold. I look forward to more transactions with Lear Capital in the future.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I opened an IRA with Lear Capital in April of 2019. I funded the account with a check for $6,500.00 and then spoke with an agent from Lear to purchase silver with the funds in the account. On the date of the invoice Lear sent to me, 4/30/2019 the spot price for silver was approximately $14.96 per oz. The person who sold me the silver spoke to me on the phone and said that I would be buying 1 oz. rounds (not coins) and I would pay just over the spot price for it.

He then came at me with all these terms and other thing that got me confused and said that we have to make a recording to verify that I’m agreeing to these terms, which were very nebulous in the description he provided. He did not say that he would be using the recording to set the price. In the recording he very slowly asks if I agree to the terms he had just defined, and then goes into a very long, fast run-on sentence where he includes the price per oz. somewhere in the middle. That price was $23.53, and a price I certainly would not have agreed to pay for silver when I had been buying large quantities of it from JM Bullion for the spot prices. I was charged more than 57% above the spot price which I would never have agreed to and I believe is criminal.

I admit that I should have listened more carefully during the recording regarding the price I’m paying and verified that it was the same price that he hurriedly slipped in to the recorded portion of my conversation. I didn’t realize what he had done until I looked at some statements not too long ago. The statements come from Strata Trust Company, allegedly where the silver is stored. Even their account statements are misleading as they do not show a minus sign or red ink for a loss. The loss is in parentheses. I didn’t see how I could have a loss especially seeing as how silver is up close to 15% from when I purchased it, but when I read the statement more carefully I realized that I’d lost close to 1/3 of my deposit into the account even though silver has done very well since I opened it.

I have been dealing with the account representative from Lear, Jared **, and he has been running me around. He told me that Strata sent investors a letter in 2014 stating that they could set the price according to what they perceive the value to be and that’s why I paid such a high price. ** admitted that I should have been provided a copy of that letter, essentially admitting that I had not been. I asked ** how this 57% over spot price was determined and he told me that they work off of pricing sheets. I told him to email me the pricing sheet for that day, April 30, and he agreed but has yet to do so. When I asked again he sent me a copy of the same invoice that I already have a copy of from when the purchase was made. That is not what he described a pricing sheet to be, that is an invoice and I told him so, however he has not responded.

I have been asking ** some questions that he will not answer:

• What are Lear Capital’s protocols for price setting?
• Was there a commission paid on the purchase I made?

• Where is the pricing sheet that you told me was used to set the price?

I told ** that I would be making complaints today and he’s left voicemails and sent emails that he’s going to “make this right” for me. Clearly they do not want what was done to me to be sent to anyone who would investigate. I will not take their ‘bribe’ as I believe other people need protection from this scam. I was in law enforcement for 20 years and continue to work murder cases nationwide as a forensic consultant so I’m interested in justice.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I was very satisfied with the level of assistance I received during the roll over from my 401k. All persons involved were helpful, and kind. I was a bit overwhelmed in the whole experience. But with the level of concern expressed by your people that it made me at ease once the process was taken care of. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Every one at Lear Capital was very efficient, attentive, knowledgeable and polite. However, the FedEx delivery person delivered the silver to the wrong address and the wrong person signed for it. I notified Lear Capital by email over the weekend by Monday when I called my agent, he had already reported the issue to FedEx. The delivery error, of course, was not the fault of Lear Capital and I was happy with the speed at which they reported it to FedEx and then got in touch with me. I was also very pleased with the donated extra coins in the shipment.

Lear Capital Company Information