Jackson Hewitt

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Jackson Hewitt

Founded in 1982, Jackson Hewitt is a tax preparation service for individuals and businesses alike. Taxpayers can choose to file themselves with a flat fee or use a tax pro to file for them for an additional cost. There are over 5,500 locations across the country, including 3,000 Walmart locations. Jackson Hewitt also offers tax resolution services for tax issues like penalty abatements and liens.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Flat fee for DIY taxes
  • Guarantees
Cons
  • Tax resolution fees not published
  • Tax resolution not in all states

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

Stars Rating

• 36%
  • 2%
  • 2%
  • 5%
  • 55%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?
    Customer Service

Reviewed May 22, 2024

We went to Jackson Hewitt for 2021 taxes. We had the taxes amended because the preparer missed a form. She only amended the federal this year. We were sent notification we owed 2203.00 to state she neglected to amend. Jackson Hewitt refused to help us. They could have negotiated with the IRS on our behalf and or gave the fees owed due to their error. They won’t return phone calls and when we saw a gentleman by the name Sam he said nothing he could do, just pay it!!!

Reviewed May 21, 2024

I would give negative star review if could as 1 star is as low as I can go. They charged me $300 and only did 1/2 job. When realized they'd lied to me about sending off, went back to Springfield TN office and employee there told me that her manager had put in mail herself to make sure got sent off.. yet ANOTHER LIE! PLEASE PLEASE learn from my stupidity!!! RUNNN!!! Have NOTHING to do with these horrible lying thieves!!!! Do NOT believe or trust them..

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed May 10, 2024

I did my taxes myself for free and wound up owing Federal so I thought I'd go to professional and have them to do it and hopes of a better result. Not only did I get the exact same result as doing it myself but she tried to charge me $350 that's almost as much as I owed in Federal. And what was the worst of all is that she did not give me my driver's license back! She did call a couple of times but I was at work and unable to answer the phone.

I did return the message several times for a span of 3 weeks. No one would ever answer the phone. I even left several messages asking them to mail my driver's license to my house and got nothing in return. I had to go purchase another driver's license. If they are this careless with a driver's license I would really hate for them to have government documents in their hands that belong to me. I'm so grateful that I backed out on letting them do my taxes. They cost a lot of hardship by not getting my driver's license back to me.

Reviewed May 3, 2024

I applied to Jackson Hewitt tax resolution after having an IRS problem. I went through 6 different case managers in 2 years. I wound up with an amount that doubled my original amount. I can't move forward financially.

Reviewed May 2, 2024

I used Jackson Hewitt to prepare my taxes for about 4 years straight while I was traveling for work. The year I had an issue I had worked in three different states. Jackson Hewitt only filed two of the three states and as a result, one of the states did a commissioner return and decided that I owed $2,000. The commissioner return was filed in 2019 which falls under the umbrella of the no worry guarantee The Jackson Hewitt offers and that I paid for. Because they didn't file that year I didn't receive notice of this return and the fact that I owed $2,000 because that state didn't have my current address.

I found out about the money owed in 2024 when I finally had a federal return that they could take money out of. They took my entire return and said because it was past the statute of limitation for the state. Any money paid whether in error or not I could not get back. I contacted Jackson Hewitt and told him what happened and they said there's nothing I could do for me even though it was their mistake. I have nothing good to say about the company, their morals, the way they do business, or the people that work for them. Don't give them your money. Give your money to a local tax preparation specialist or do it yourself. Don't give any of your money to these con artists.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & App

Reviewed April 28, 2024

This office did not enter all the tax liabilities that should have been assessed. They did not provide me a copy of my return in detail. They did not help me in obtaining tax docs over their website. After making an appointment to picks up docs they made me wait for over an hour and one half on two different occasions. They also provided with a copy of a check by another client. Their Dist Manager did not return phone calls. They did not provide details on how fees were assessed before or after paying them over $1000 for three years of tax returns. The corporate office was called and they provided no solution to their problem.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 23, 2024

On February 5, 2024, I went in person to the Jackson Hewitt located at 645 W 23rd Street in Panama City, FL to file my personal taxes for 2021, 2022 and 2023. I spent nearly 8 hours with Representative ** whom appeared to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs while in my presence. Ms. ** was very slow and slurred her words, taking much longer than usual to process my tax returns. Approximately one month after, Ms. ** called me personally to inform me that there was a discrepancy on my 2021 return related to a 1099 form. Apparently, the employer's name listed did not match the IRS records. I provided her with the correct information, she then proceeded to tell me that she would fix such issue and call me back. She did not call back.

About 3 weeks after, I called Ms. ** to follow up, and when doing so, she did not recall anything regarding the issue stated; I had to refresh her mind. She then assured me she would fix the issue and call me back. She did not call me back as she promised. I then called the branch to ask to speak to a supervisor, Ms. ** whom never called me back either. I called yesterday April 16 and spoke to Ms. **, once again she did not remember the issue until I refreshed her mind. She then stated she would call me back in hour. It's been over 24 hour and have not received a call back.

I called the Jackson Hewitt office earlier today April 17 again, and I was told to call back on Monday. I then proceeded to call their corporate office, they transferred me to back to the originating branch, I spoke to a new agent who assured me everything has been properly processed, but wait for my return until May. I decided to login into my IRS account to track my return, and according to the IRS online records, 2022 and 2023 returns haven't been processed & I'm at risk of Lien and Levy. Jackson Hewitt has collected payment from me plus other deductions they made automatically from my return for the 3 years filed.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed April 16, 2024

Definitely overpriced, it’s not advertised that a prep fee would be $450 partly because it’s the final day. So confusing, something just isn’t right. Very pleasant preparer, don’t get me wrong but that one-hour scan and enter numbers appointment doesn’t add up to the amount charged. I’m just not sure who I should call.

Price

Reviewed April 15, 2024

I had my simple taxes prepared and filed at Walmart with Jackson Hewitt was there maybe 25 minutes and they charged me $599 and I owe the IRS but get a return from the state. I have used Jackson Hewitt in the past but will never use them again. Was told that cause I had a 1099 and a W2 it cost more to have taxes done.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 15, 2024

They scammed me a few years ago. The preparer lied to me saying if I used them, I'd receive $50 that day. Of course the $50 was never received. The surprising part was when I called the 1-800 number, they just kept bouncing me around even transferring me back to the preparer that lied to me in the first place. It was even advertised on the walls and on their website. I ended up paying over $850 on my taxes that year to Jackson Hewitt alone as their fee. I used to believe in having an expert do it instead of contributing to a way cheaper app cutting jobs of preparers. Today I filed free on H&R Block online.

I should have never trusted Jackson Hewitt. After that year I realized they didn't even file one of my 1099G's (which is like a W2). I've owed the IRS ever since and I don't really know why. The preparer was an old man and said it's his first time was just hired. Why was my preparation fee so much and done by someone who didn't even file one of my forms and was just hired with no experience? I now always do it myself online. TurboTax lied to me also but I luckily caught it before submitting. The thing that bothers me the most is when I called the 1-800 number and they basically told me to pound sand. The Representative transferred me to representative and after the third or fourth one, the supervisor transferred me to the old man that did my return, I told them all to cancel my tax preparation and they all smugly said it's too late and they don't care if I use them next year.

No follow-up calls were ever made to me, no emails or letters. They proved to me that they truly don't care about their customers. Seeing big businesses like Circuit City and Blockbuster fail is depressing to me but I cheer on the slow collapse of Jackson Hewitt. All they had to do was apologize and send me the $50 visa that was promised and fix their mistakes but they refused to do anything but transfer me to someone else. Do not use Jackson Hewitt, I strongly recommend H&R Block. Intuit TurboTax are also liars. Check your receipts. Do not use Jackson Hewitt!!!! You'll thank me later!

Reviewed April 14, 2024

We waited until last minute; HUGE mistake. Charged us $500...was 300 last year, 225 year before. NEVER AGAIN! Let's stop throwing our $ away to thieves, for one hour work, people! I talked to a tax pro friend, too late, she said she would do it $200. SHEESH. I hate getting robbed by these crooked corps.

Verified purchase

Reviewed April 14, 2024

Excellent and extremely convenient service located right inside of Walmart. Staff is knowledgeable, professional and truly care about the client. Truly appreciate how serious they take clients' privacy regarding their data. Unlike many other companies, they have great protection and do not sell taxpayers' information like TurboTax does. I see many people complain about fees, but they are actually very fairly priced in comparison to other tax professionals/companies.

Reviewed April 13, 2024

Candice on 2232 S Nellis was very nice and helped my father and I thank you much for the help. She took her time and made sure we was taking care of. Take care and God bless you all and thank you again

Reviewed April 13, 2024

Not surprised to see I'm not the only one who got completely burned by this shady establishment. Read the bad reviews, they are legitimate. Some people don't complain but TRUST ME. You will be paying HUNDREDS of dollars more than is reasonable here. I don't often (ever) leave reviews but my experience was so bad here It has become one of my side objectives to prevent people from falling for these "legal con artists." Imagine trying to do business with a bandit in his own capital city where he makes all the rules, you'll get charged 5$ for a banana and it's the same here at Jackson Hewitt. 1-800 steal-your-refund would be an appropriate phone number for these guys.

On top of the slim shady business model the service I received was also beyond unprofessional. The agent actually yelled at me, slammed my papers back on the table in front of me and said to go file somewhere else. And considering I only said about 5 legitimate sentences in there this was beyond rude behavior. This actually happened. The guys name was Robert and he was extremely old fat guy and so maybe he didn't like me being a young skinny guy but when I asked about my 1099 and how to properly claim my miles this was the response I got and ended up losing literally hundreds off of my refund because he didn't help me.

They also have not yet acknowledged their poster claiming if their agent does indeed not get my proper refund they would give me 100$ back but then what actually happens is the retention agent will just avidly defend the tax preparer and they will request you to take legal action to "prove" they made a mistake. If you read all of this Id like you to know Jackson hewitt has created a mortal enemy in this young motivated and vocal man and this is not normal for me. Take my advice and please do not visit this establishment. First go to TurboTax or H&R Block and save yourself hundreds.

Reviewed April 11, 2024

I had a great experience with Yvonne at the Inverness office having my 2023 income taxes done. She was very friendly and took her time to explain everything. I felt she was very knowledgeable. Job well done!

Reviewed April 10, 2024

I used Jackson Hewitt in Chalfont, PA for my 2021 taxes. I was charged $500 for federal, state and local tax returns. I was told that my 1099 was not subject to state tax. Unfortunately the person who did my taxes relocated the office a few towns away. I should have driven the extra miles. There was a closer office in Lansdale, PA and I used them for my 2022 tax returns. They charged $780 for the same services and insisted that I pay state tax on the 1099. I shouldn't have. This year I used TurboTax and was charged $89.00 for the federal tax return and did the state and local on line myself. I did it all in 1 1/2 hours. Don't make my mistake and ask for the fee schedules in advance. I'm not a big fan of TurboTax but it's better than being overcharged.

Reviewed April 10, 2024

STAY AWAY FROM THEM! They charge me over 900 to file a simple tax return! The crazy part is they never told me how much it was going to be. Also, they messed up my taxes because the lady spelled my name wrong when she had my driver license right in front of her! Because of that it took over a month to get my return back and I had to go back and get it changed! I will never use them EVER again!

Punctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed April 7, 2024

Ben was a great help! I decided to do my taxes last min and stopped by Walmart on Talbert avenue in Huntington Beach. Ben got right to it and helped get everything started. It was a quick and easy process! I was also pleased with the results! Truly recommend Ben!!

Reviewed April 7, 2024

I had my taxes done in Bellingham, MA. My first impression was that the office was filthy. The rug looked like it had never been cleaned, there were marks all over the walls. The woman I worked with did not seem like she knew what she was doing. Twice she had to call a coworker over to ask questions. The coworker had dirty fingernails. When she was done she said I would be getting a refund from the state for $3,000.00. I was so happy because I am a senior citizen with a limited income. When I got home I opened the package she gave me and I was shocked to see a voucher saying I needed to pay the state $3,000.00. When I called her to question this, she had me holding for 10 minutes then said she would call me back. She never called back and my calls have not been answered. Never do business with this company. I am not even sure if she actually filed my taxes.

Reviewed April 6, 2024

This was my first experience with Jackson Hewitt and never again. The tax pro that did my taxes was so unprofessional and he didn’t go over anything with me when I came back to pick up my tax documents but was quick enough to charge me $399. I did a drop off. I never paid this ridiculous amount at H&R Block. When I came back when my tax returns was ready, the Tax Pro was more preoccupied with his texting conversation than paying attention to me, the customer in front of him. I felt hurried and nothing was gone over with me . And the papers he gave me wasn’t neatly done. He just stuffed everything in the folder and papers were sticking out. Very Messy like a toddler. The worst and I mean the worst Tax service I have experienced. I am going back to H&R Block next Tax season because at least they sat down with me & went over things and I was never charged more than $200.

Reviewed April 5, 2024

My old man who did my taxes, didn't disclose to me that I would be charged a fee to have the money deducted from my refund. His hands shock and he rambled on about nonsense. I thought that he was going to start spitting up and fall out of his chair. I know old people have bills too but to work in your late eighties is stretching it. It was my first and last time with them. I had a bad feeling when I sat down, I wished that I had listened to my gut. The devil in an old man's body. I am just glad that I won't see either one of them in heaven because they are going straight to HELL and that won't be long because they are as old as dirt now.

Reviewed April 5, 2024

Terrible work, I am a 62 yr old man with a 63 yr old wife and we are both Retired. Went in to do my 2024 taxes with our SSID 1099 forms. The agent never mentioned that we also needed our 1099r forms too. So we went ahead and file our taxes with just our said forms. And never did our 1099r. Forms. Now we went back to see if we can file our 1099r. that the agent never mentioned for us to bring. They wanted to charge another 150 dollars for the 1099r forms that he forgot to mentioned. I told them I was new to my retirement and that they should have mentioned those extra forms that I needed 1099r. I will never used this company again. I will used a company that is more experienced and knowledgeable on all forms of taxes needed to get the most out of my refund. Beware of people working in suit for this company. Very unprofessional. Sad.

Verified purchase

Reviewed April 5, 2024

I was flat out lied to. I paid several hundred dollars to have my husband's taxes done and filed. Well it was for several years' worth and I assumed it was done. I call the IRS on something and find out that none were filed and I need to get copies again and resubmit. I call the one that I paid it at and since I was not married to him during those years I paid for I can not pick up the returns, only him. I ask did he have to go to the Dunn office where I paid and was told, "No, he can go to any." I ask, "Will this have a fee involved?", and I am told, "No. It will be free." I called the Jackson Hewitt number by getting it from the computer, not the Dunn office.

I tell husband to go to any and he does go to the Sanford location and they charge him 25.00 per return. He ended up just getting two of the returns, which was 50.00! This was supposed to be free!!! I call the Jackson Hewitt in Raleigh now and am told that, "Yes, There is a fee since it is a different Jackson Hewitt." What! This is why you do not need to deal with this company because if they did their job in the beginning and sent off the returns like they should have it would have been done. We would not have needed to do this over again. They flat out lied to me telling me this was going to be free and turned around and charged. We still do not have all the returns I paid for! They are thieves. I wish I could give negative stars!

Reviewed April 4, 2024

Maurice ** in Walmart off of Cobb Parkway was absolutely AMAZING! He was very warm, welcoming, patient and understanding. His spirit is kind and calming and 100% recommend him to others. So come in and see him today!

Reviewed April 3, 2024

We use the Walmart Jackson Hewitt. Absolutely great experience! Delora always takes care of us every year! Would definitely recommend using her. She definitely knows what she is doing! We will be back next year.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 3, 2024

Worthless. Fill out your entire tax form and then they will refuse payment with a credit card so you are forced to pay double to have it taken out of your return. Tried multiple cards; called my banks, they never even tried to post the transaction. Simply refuses anything you put in to force you to either fill it all out again with another provider or pay double once you in there. Total bait-and-switch.

Reviewed April 2, 2024

I paid $500+ to have my simple income tax done by this company. I was not given a paper copy of my return. No one ever told me that I needed an online acct. I went to the office to ask how to acquire a paper copy. They told me to create an online acct. I had to use someone e else’s email to get an acct because it kept messaging my email acct is initially acceptable. After using someone e else’s email, then they sent me several several verification code. None worked. Eventually, the site told me I needed to revisit in 2 hours. The entire time an employee just stood there. Eventually, some other employee asked how he could help. Well, by then, it was too late, so I decided right then and there I no longer am returning to this company for my info e taxes next year. Certainly, I can pay $500+ to a certified CPA for my no deductions, file single, simple, simple, simple, simple, taxes that most likely can be calculated in less than an hour.

Reviewed April 1, 2024

Sharhonda ** was awesome. She was knowledgeable, friendly, professional and patient. She was so helpful and I really appreciate that. I will continue to go to that location next tax season without a doubt.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 1, 2024

Nancy is the rock star of tax preparing. She handles my taxes with speed, care and professionalism. It is always a pleasure to work with her as she makes the task easy, accurate and timely. Thank you, Nancy, for our continued positive working relationship.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 31, 2024

I went into the Ben white location after a failed attempt at H&R. I had multiple w2s for multiple years. Erica ** was working alone for the day and it was past lunch. She helped a lady before me was was just praising all the help Erica had been. She was awesome! Not only was she able to help me..pretty quickly. She also helped a walk up client with a language barrier! All with grace and a smile!!! Best customer service ever! Thanks Erica!

Jackson Hewitt Company Information