Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.07/5

Jackson Hewitt provides online and in-store tax services for consumers at nearly 6,000 locations nationwide. Jackson Hewitt offers three different levels of service and guarantees that consumers get the biggest possible refund by using its software.

Jackson Hewitt Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: March 19, 2020

So I decided to go to Jackson Hewitt this year for my taxes because we weren't in a great place financially and Jackson Hewitt offered a 0% Apr No Fee refund advance. I went into the location in a Walmart in Napanoch NY. Mind you I have been doing my taxes online myself for the past decade at least. The whole ordeal lasted no more than 15 minutes! The woman asked me like 5 questions and it was done. She never told me how much I was being charged, never really verified much at all. Finding I was approved for the advance I thought all is well. That is not true at all. When I got home I looked over papers and found I was charged $600 in total fees! I was charged $600 in fees for a simple return that a woman spent less than 15 minutes with me!

I raise a child on a low income and we do the best we can but I'm so upset with jackson hewitt because they stole from us big time! I have not been able to get through to an actual person, and I would like my money back. I work hard for what I have and being charge $600 for a simple return is not right. Turbo Tax never charged me more than $70 bucks for both federal and state. Then they sent my prepaid card to my physical address when I told the woman multiple times that my mailing address is different than my mailing so it took weeks to get the actual card.

Now I'm still missing $300 of my state return. How much else can these people do? I was approved for no fee advance of $1250. My state refund was $1600 so they still owed me 350. Well the NY state said the refund was sent but why haven't I gotten the $350 that I am owed after being charged almost $600 already. We're talking almost $1000 this company has taken from my family and I have yet to talk to a real person. I would appreciate it to hear from an actual person.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: March 15, 2020

First time I tried JH. Won't be using the location on Amy Ave in Louisville ever again. Tax prep person was so distracted, by his little girl in the office running around to additional either babysitter or family hanging out to answering his cell to buy a car, only to have my taxes not completed correctly, notified by the IRS that my State went from me receiving a large amount to me suddenly owing. How??? because said distracted tax prep person, didn't complete taxes correctly. Resulting in (get this) being sent to another JH location in New Albany Indiana (I live in Louisville) for someone to do an amendment? Really... Only to find out amendments aren't even looked at until July or August? I paid way too much to have my taxes completed wrong by a distracted worker, and rely on this service to be correct. Very frustrated and disappointed about this.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: March 13, 2020

I have no idea how to get ahold of Jackson Hewitt and the complaint department to file my complaint. The MyJH does not help and they are rude. I can't get ahold of the office. They messed up my taxes, charged me over $500 for a simple return and still have not called me and the email provided comes back undelivered. I want a email address to direct my complaint to if possible and can't get it to this day. I want my money back for my filing fees. They take advantage of people by charging them at a 500% mark up.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: March 11, 2020

The preparer never discussed price during the visit, only after everything was completed, They charged me 513.00 to prepare my taxes, and when I asked why he told me he didn’t know why It was so expensive! All he could do was apologize profusely, they never gave me a price upfront. I am a single mother filing head of household.. and I coulda got them done for much cheaper!! They are crooks!!!! DO NOT COME HERE!!!!

Original review: March 10, 2020

We needed our taxes back kinda fast. Wanted to file seperate. They tried to charge us over $1000 prep fee. Left us with no choice but to file joint. Now we got to wait 14 weeks for our refund but they sure took our whole $500 state check. Biggest bunch of lying crooks I ever saw.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jackson Hewitt?

Original review: March 10, 2020

We paid over 400 dollars to get taxes done and was told that we owed $7400.00 to the IRS. We had a CPA do an amendment, paid him $25.00, we now owe $2500.00. What a waste of money. Won’t ever use them again. RIP OFF.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I arrived in tears and left with tears of joy! I’m currently a college student and struggle to find peace within completing any task. When it came to my taxes, I knew in advance this would be the furthest from easy to accomplish. Thankfully, Brittany from the Ewing location came to the rescue and reassured me my taxes would be done successfully and pain free. I know I can depend on her and look forward to filing with her next year.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I filed taxes with Jackson Hewitt and I got a good refund and my experience with the tax preparer was great but my fees were high. But what makes me mad is my taxes are being investigated and Jackson Hewitt won’t help me fix the problem. Policy is, "You file with Jackson Hewitt. We back you up and help 100 percent," but that’s not the case. They said I have to wait to speak to IRS and they can’t help and from what I hear I’m not the only one this year going through this. I will never use Jackson Hewitt again and yes feel sorry for the preparer bc they try to help and their hands are tied. But at least they try to help. The upper management is not. They want their money and the heck with the customers and what they need.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Store in Skiatook 18735 is the one I have been going to for the past few years. I have had Judy do my taxes and she is always very friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. I know my taxes are done correctly and have never had a problem.

Original review: March 4, 2020

They told me 94$ per w-2..I had 2 w-2 I was charged 778.00 and they didn't even tell me..I signed then asked and she told me it was too late...never go there!! They only charged me 300$ last year for the same thing...so every year their gonna go up 400$.

Jackson Hewitt Company Information