Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.66/5

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

H&R Block Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: June 16, 2020

These guys are absolutely the very best! Making sure I could get through school I owe H&R Block everything. Giving me the opportunity to pursue my dream as a United States Air Force Pilot, H&R Block I support you! The Team here at Store ** was great with me for taxes and got my return done on the same day, and the management was super helpful. Going over all of my concerns they made sure everything got done right. Thank you again guys! Sincerely, Sebastian **

Original review: June 13, 2020

Without even asking me any questions, my taxes were ready for review within a day. They were completely wrong. Wrong filing status, included my husband's income but had me filing as single. Made it look like I owed about 3 times as much as I should, as well as penalties. I then explained the errors and it was re-done, again with mistakes. Again they asked me no questions about myself. I’m not sure how they can get all possible deductions without asking me anything. I have now asked for another tax pro to look it over, but I have no confidence left in this service. The “pro” supposedly has 20 years of experience!

Original review: June 6, 2020

I filled everything online and did all the work. No one called to support me, just received an email that it's approved and I can go ahead and file. I called and stayed on hold for almost an hour at least 4 days in a row, no one really looked at my filing and helped me. My filing amount actually did increased by 10% after I received approval email from HR Block. Terrible experience. Save your time and money by using other sources.

Original review: May 20, 2020

They charge you more every time you enter information. The "professional" that is reviewing my taxes has no idea what she is doing. The 3 day review period is a joke, it has been almost 6 weeks and she still can't figure out my HSA form. This is ridiculous. I cant even get a hold of a customer representative, the wait is over an hour! I wish I could just get my money back.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I have been working to get a digital copy of my last year's taxes for eight weeks now to no avail. Multiple problems and lock outs on their website caused my case number to be escalated multiple times to various teams. To get help, a person in need must be available to take their call at any hour or your case is dropped. My work does not allow me to answer during work hours. They said they emailed me; they did not. No time estimate is given to me as they said that getting a digital copy of my taxes is a free service; I need to wait on them. Excuse me. I did pay to have my taxes done and getting a digital copy is not an extra charge. It shouldn't be 8 weeks of trying to fix a technical glitch in their system. I asked the team if they were the customer would they choose to do business with H&R Block next year? I don't think so.

Original review: May 14, 2020

We used the 2019 Deluxe federal software and filed(?) electronically. The IRS never took the money we owed from our account and H&R Block could not tell us whether the filing had happened successfully.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I submitted my 2019 to their so called tax pro who could not resolve issues. I paid 132.00 still I didn't get the devices not performed. Finally I got this from their field offices. Paying 334.00. Which I should not have done. Their field tax pro said she cannot do anything about it. That it's two different ways things are done although it is same H&R Block. I am sick and tired of dealing with their BS.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I went to the IRS website to file for my stimulus check. I am a non-filer and used that portal. The next day I received a letter from the IRS that I was not eligible for a stimulus check because someone had claimed me as a dependent on their taxes for 2019. I asked the only person who I thought might have done this. He admitted he did add me as a dependent. I asked him how he got my ss#, he said H&R Block advised him to add me as a dependent and that they looked up my information and added me to his tax form for him! Unbelievable! What gives H&R Block the right to add me to someone's tax return without even notifying me that my ss# is being used!? Now, the person who did this is wrong too for not telling me, but had H&R Block not advised he do this and then just added me without me even knowing I wouldn't be here writing this! Unprofessional and downright wrong!

Original review: April 18, 2020

H&R Block screwed me on getting my Stimulus Check by not sending my bank account info to IRS, they create a 'virtual account number' & process your refund. This means I now have to wait until Sept. to get a paper check. If they had told me this upfront I would not have used them, now it is too late. Do not do business with these liars.

Original review: April 16, 2020

After being a faithful customer of H&R Block of many years and using their tax software this year I paid to have one of their tax professionals review my taxes before submitting. They signed off on what was done. After submitting both my state and federal taxes to the government, the state reported that the amount that had been reviewed and submitted was incorrect. When I reported this to the tax professional the person admitted their mistake, but no refund was offered. A claim was submitted and still no refund was offered. The claims department also admits that a mistake was made, but still no refund was offered. They refused to pay me back and did not seem to care about customer loyalty or the fact that one of their employees was in error. I am extremely disappointed by this behavior and lack of responsibility. It will be time to find a new tax service for next year.

H&R Block Company Information