3.8/5 (3138 ratings)

About H&R Block

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

Pros

• Options for every budget
  • 24/7 support by phone, email & chat
  • Work with a tax professional

Cons

• Can cost more than filing yourself

Bottom Line

H&R Block offers professional tax filing services and free tax software. With programs for every budget and 24/7 customer service, H&R Block is great for consumers who need tax help.

H&R Block Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: May 14, 2021

WOW. They take on more customers than they can handle and then just...without telling you...don't bother to do your taxes and leave you in the lurch. We wasted 2 hours with Gail and left all of our paperwork with her. She assured us she would call us shortly once our taxes were done to review them with us and get them filed. 2 weeks later and they were still not done. I left 3 messages and sent an email, with no reply. Nobody in their office picked up the phone either. Called corporate who assured me someone would call me at 6:30 that evening. No call.

Finally, I just drove to the location in the middle of a workday to see what was going on. Gail came out and said "I'm so sorry, I kept getting more and more clients and have no time to do all of the tax returns." She admitted that she had read my email and heard my voicemails and had not bothered to call back. They have so many clients they have taken on that they can't even return phone calls to their current clients, much less actually do their tax returns. Now I only have 4 days to file taxes and have to do it on my own. Take this as a warning before choosing H&R Block...

Original review: May 1, 2021

Last tax year we had a death in the family and had to use the deluxe version for our taxes. This year when we selected the free software, they waited until we were done inputting our taxes, several hours invested, and then charged us again for deluxe. Apparently, once you use the deluxe, you are automatically charged each year until you asked them to delete your account completely from their files. How many people do you think they'll RIP OFF with this this year! By the time you get to the end you are so tired of dealing with taxes, I bet most people just pay. I'm sure they're counting on that.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Absolutely do not use this product. We are expatriates living in Germany and have been using H&R Block for the past 3 years to our highest satisfaction. However, this year, we entered all of our 2020 information and were ready to file, when we were asked if we wanted to add a "Tax Pro" to our filing. Since there was no further information, we decided to explore the option only to find out that there was no way back out of it. In the Help section, we were advised to call a 1-800 number to ask to "downgrade" our account. So we called the number and an agent told us that with the "downgrade" in order to get out of the "Tax Pro" option, all of our information would be erased.

We certainly did not want to lose all of our work and asked the agent if there was any other option, such as just deleting the "Pro" from our "Shopping Cart"; she was unable to do it and transferred us to her "supervisor". That person, after login into our account, discovered that all of our information had been erased. Furthermore, after trying for an hour, she could not retrieve our information. Upon our request, she then transferred us to her supervisor, Scott, whose only response to the situation was: "I am sorry, I can feel your pain!" He also admitted that even he had no way of backtracking to the agent who had erased all of our information. How can this be? There is no tracing mechanism? There is no backup filing system? A company like this should be put out of business, after such a betrayal of customer trust!

Original review: April 12, 2021

I am currently on hold after a woman, named Cynthia, gave me extremely poor service. I have been on hold to speak to her manager for quite a while, and she put me on the Spanish speaking hold line, so I have no idea what they are even saying. She was patronizing me before putting me on hold, on the phone she would not let me finish my sentences. If I tried to say something she would talk over me saying the same information over and over (and that all these other customers are experiencing the same thing - even though I was never ever able to tell her what the website issue I had was). I did try to ask her to not interrupt me for a second so I could get my question out - but she took that as me needing to talk to her manager - now I have been on hold for over an hour (with spanish only information being repeated in my ear).

I was calling because I had filed my taxes in February, had some issues with the website, wanted to double check that my return was okay, or if I could get a refund for the $80 I paid to file the taxes through HR Block - as I have yet to receive a tax return, or an email, or any form of communication as to what happened to my return. I was told that they have 21 Business days to process - it's been about 45 (I filed 2/25/21, today is 4/12/21). I have been a loyal HR Block customer for the last 7 years, but I will be using a different tax service next year. This has been a really terrible experience. If you must hire people who are rude, please be sure that you are willing to lose customers.

I would have given HR Block a chance to make this right - even just by treating me respectfully, and hearing me out! It's an unfortunate situation, and I sincerely hope that you do not go out of business if everyone that has used your service this year is experiencing similar issues. No one I know uses HR Block, and no one else has had a single issue. Thank you, Krystal.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Do not purchase! The downloaded file will not load. After two tries and hours waiting on hold a rep tried to transfer me to a 'software' tech. Two different calls. It went click and then gone. I still have no software to do my taxes.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Ridiculous that you select one package at the beginning of the online tax program, then get to the end and the premium shows - So you think, ok...mistake...let me downgrade....then you find out your info won't transfer IF you call and ask for a downgrade - after waiting 25 minutes on the phone. This is the WORST case of bait and switch I have ever seen. And it's not like you don't know at the beginning which one you want to use...Premium was if you had a schedule C or rented out property...I knew I had neither so I chose the lower one...although they will question you about choosing the incorrect one. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Original review: March 25, 2021

The 2019 software worked correctly and allowed the subtraction of military retirement pay from AGI. The 2020 Premium software won’t allow it and therefore makes your tax liability higher. Their Chat line rep said wait for an update but the website says no update is planned for the Kansas software.

Original review: March 23, 2021

H&R charged me $70 to not file my taxes, then I ended up filing with a CPA. They refused a refund, then told me to file elsewhere. I have been on hold for an hour, after I was told I'd be transferred to a supervisor promptly. I'm still seeking a refund for this, and will likely seek other means to submit my returns than H&R in future years.

Original review: March 20, 2021

I made a virtual appointment with a tax pro. I uploaded all of my tax documents. Now H&R Block is unresponsive about how much they are planning to charge me, I'm getting conflicting information about whether anyone is actually working on my taxes. I’ve spent hours this week waiting on hold, scouring the website and messaging my tax pro. No one answers. I understand it’s tax season and people are busy — but this complete lack of communication and transparency is unacceptable.

The H&R Block website directs people to Twitter with questions. I did get someone to respond there, but that person said social media employees cannot actually help with most questions. Then he or she also said that no one is assigned to my case and “I'm not sure why this error is occurring.” So now I'm even MORE confused about the status of our account. H&R Block has caused me to lose a week of valuable tax prep time, plus wasted hours of my personal time spent on hold, on the website, on Twitter and messaging my tax pro. I still have no idea if or how much H&R Block will try to charge me, or if anyone is actually working on my account or not.

Original review: March 17, 2021

When filing 2019 taxes in a local H&R Block office, I didn't have my routing and account number handy, so I agreed to take an Emerald Card. The tax professional, Mary **, told me that it was just like a debit card, and that I'd be able to transfer all of the money from the card into my bank account at my convenience. This is factually incorrect. Not only was the Emerald Card declined at multiple places where I tried to use it, the largest amount that can be transferred at any single time is $500. Eventually I got all the money off this card, then tore it up, happy that I would never use this card again.

Next year, I did my taxes with H&R Block again, but this time did them online (much cheaper) and had my routing and account numbers handy so that all of my money went directly to my bank account...where I can use it as freely as I would like. However, H&R Block sent me a new Emerald Card - despite not wanting or requesting one. When the latest round of stimulus payments were issued, these payments went to the Emerald Card. This transaction was never authorized. When I called H&R Block to find out why they deposited MY money onto THEIR card, I was hung up on three times, and then got into a screaming match with someone on the phone when I finally got to speak to a human.

The tax professional, Mary **, has failed to respond to 4 different messages from me indicating my dissatisfaction with the Emerald Card. This is not how you treat valued customers. I am on hold again with H&R Block - despite trying to get ahold of someone for more than an hour. This business model does not respect the customers, and when someone's money is moved without their authorization or consent, there are legal consequences.

I would strongly recommend that no one ever use the Emerald Card - and at this point - I would recommend never using H&R Block. No company that cares about its customers would make it such a labyrinthine endeavor to simply recover their own money. If nothing else, THEY NEED TO MAKE THE CARD MORE USER FRIENDLY and less embezzly through their controls that decide when and how someone can spend his/her own money.

H&R Block Company Information