1.2/5 (35 ratings)

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

About H&R Block

H&R Block is a tax preparation business that offers professional tax services as well as self-service options. If you opt for professional services, H&R Block’s tax experts file your tax returns to get you the best possible refund. H&R Block offers its services both in stores and online, and the company offers free online filing software.

Pros

• Options for every budget
  • 24/7 support by phone, email & chat
  • Work with a tax professional

Cons

• Can cost more than filing yourself

Bottom Line

H&R Block offers professional tax filing services and free tax software. With programs for every budget and 24/7 customer service, H&R Block is great for consumers who need tax help.

File your taxes for 35% off. Use code SLAYIT35

Get Started with TaxSlayer

Visit Site

H&R Block Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about H&R Block?

Original review: April 11, 2022

This service asks automated questions, many lead to more and scramble the answers to create a mysterious return. You are rarely able to see what they’ve done or why. I was forced to buy a CPA review which enabled me to interact with a person who did explain, recalculate/fix automatic results, but I still needed to suggest more reasons to reduce taxes which worked.

Then when it looked done, I had no access to my complete tax filings for my records. I had copied pages when working with the CPA but those were prior to final. I suppose they make you chained to them forever now? Preposterous! They don’t explain, if taxes are due when you file, how that payment is to be made if you haven’t bought into their credit card system. I was appalled I didn’t send in money when they filed.. but my CPA told me what to do since she was still available to me. You go directly to the IRS site and pay.

None of this information is available to, you! Stay away.. there are far far better sites. ..and if you do find yourself there, get the CPA service.. just for a person to help you. This is important stuff and between the IRS and your money.. do it right. Just don’t do it with H R Block.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Have used the online deluxe version for years and has been wrong several years in a row but eventually goes through usually costing us more than they project as it doesn't catch much. For the 2021 taxes, we filed and then received a rejection. Contacted them and they have no information but are welcome to print and mail to IRS. No refunds and then they ended the chat when we asked another question. Disputed the charge and refiling using another online product. Never again and should have known better.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Unless you have a very simple return, This tax preparation software continuously wants you to upgrade or "chat" with someone.... at an increased price. The "free" version is only worthwhile if you have a W2 and nothing else! If you have children, don't even bother. This was a total waste of time.

Original review: April 4, 2022

It does not tell you upfront that you cannot pay what you owe with a credit card. Online chat is worthless because they don’t know what they’re doing and told me I should just print out and mail my returns for federal and state and send a check. Not worth the money I paid for the Deluxe Edition.

Original review: March 31, 2022

The software contains a glitch for Schedule C filers. I have been told numerous times the glitch would be fixed within 5 days, but it has been over 2 weeks and there is no fix. The company should have the software working perfectly by late March (2 weeks before the Apr 15 tax deadline), but they are still having major problems. Go with TurboTax!

Original review: March 28, 2022

Their online system offers the MOST HORRIBLE service one can ever imagine! Their website and online account are terrible, full of bugs and errors! Every other online form they have does not work and gets stuck! I booked a virtual appointment to file my taxes, they simply did not show up and no one ever responded to numerous messages and phone calls that I made to see what's going on. Absolute disaster!

Original review: March 27, 2022

I chose to use H&R Block premium package for filing my taxes online this year. It took me less than 2 hours to complete and upload all the information into the program. It should have been a fairly simple return. I submitted my return for review with a tax professional a week ago. I received a welcome message from a tax professional and a request for a document. I replied and submitted the document. I have not received any other communication since so I sent a message through the H&R Block website 2 days ago asking if there were any issues and have not yet received a reply.

I called customer service today and they said there were technical issues with my account and that it's stuck in one of their systems and they will have to submit a tech ticket to get it resolved. I asked if I could get a refund for the premium services as it's been a week and now waiting for technical support. They refunded $10 out of the $234.97 I was originally charged. So here I am a week and $224.97 later and I still don't have my tax return submitted to the IRS. My only other option is to completely clear out all my information and start again. Needless to say, I will not be using H&R Block next year.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Doesn't import Charlesschwab data and they refuse to refund their software price. 45 minute call wait time, many hang ups and disconnects. No one knows what they're doing and supervisors are never available.

Original review: March 16, 2022

For the second year in a row I have used the online tax software from H&R Block. My returns are not complicated, but for both 2020 and 2021, the IRS rejected my e-filing due to a seemingly simple matter. They rejected my e-filings because they state my Adjusted Gross Income from the previous year does not match their records. In both cases, I had my previous year's return and I made sure that the AGI matched perfectly. Last year I even got a transcript from the IRS to ensure I had the number correct. I just called the H&R Block customer service by phone and here's what they told me. "I guess you'll have to print and mail your return"!!! How helpful is that, especially when I'm getting a substantial refund this year? I'll never use this software again, and I hope anyone reading this won't either. Henry Bloch should be spinning in his grave....

Original review: March 9, 2022

I've been using H&R Block for 6 years and the website experience has gotten much worse. The 'new' H&R Block tax filing system is full of bugs - the same page keeps refreshing when I log-in. I was assigned an online tax pro, and it seems he filed my tax return, but in my account it's not updated and still showing that my return has not been filed. Please invest more in fixing these bugs in the site - it makes me feel completely left in the dark about the status of my tax return. I've called support and they're not able to see what's happening with my account either.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Probably not a review for everyone. I have over ten properties and cannot use h&r block as it cannot save and reopen my return once I get to a certain point adding data reloaded program and upgraded from deluxe to premium and put data in several times! Spent hours on hold and talked with various agents who are nice enough but unhelpful. The return will not reopen once a lot of data has been added, it seemed to be fine until an upgrade/update around the 10th of February.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Since I used for 2020, I logged back into H&R Block and input all my data, including uploading Schwab 1099 forms. I was shocked to see that on less income than last year, when my total tax bill was about 4,000, this year Block calculated it to be 41,400, including $39,000 in Alternative Minimum Tax. (My total income, including Social Security, is less than 80,000.) There was no way to see how this crazy calculation had been made without paying for the program, and then printing out the forms. Once I did this, I found the program had for some reason inserted the total of my long and short term Capital Loss carryovers on to the AMT worksheet, and came up with the crazy $39,000 in AMT. Took me another week, four phone calls, and literally hours of wasted time to get a refund. Writing this as I wait for a representative to speak to. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY on HR BLOCK software.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Originally I filled out the 2021 1040SR IRS editable PDF form and used the 2021 IRS Tax Tables to find the tax on my taxable income. I then used H&R Block online program to verify my results and hopefully e-file my return. All the results via H&R Block supported my results except for the amount of tax on my taxable income. H&R Block was lower which made my refund higher. It was only $17 but I do not want any discrepancies in my IRS returns!! I then contacted a local H&R office and found out they offer a free “Look See” service. They reviewed my 1040SR 2021 IRS filled form and said it was correct. I asked them what was the tax on my taxable income and they confirmed what I obtained from the IRS 2021 tax tables.

So bottom line - there is a difference between the H&R office software and the H&R online software. It would be advisable for H&R to look into this ASAP. Anyone using their online software should verify their results based on the 2021 IRS tax tables available online from the IRS. Thanks and good luck. PS I did not use H&R Block but I appreciate their “Look See” service and the helpfulness of their office tax executive!!’

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Most disrespectful, useless and frustrating tax services. I had TERRIBLE experiences with both in person and online resources. In person: I had an appointment for in one of their offices at 2 pm. I was there at 1:40 pm with my wife and kid. Customer service was terrible. After 20 minutes of waiting, a lady brought me a piece of paper asking me to write dow my FULL SSN. That was the most sketchiest thing I’ve ever seen. I asked her twice if she really want me to write down my SSN on a flying piece of paper? She said, "Yes. We just need to verify something." 2 pm, 2:15, 2:30 still waiting. I decided to leave because my baby was sleepy and he was crying and acting up.

Online: After the bad experience with the in person service, I decided to use the self online method. I did everything myself and when I wanted to finalize my return and send it out, they said before I can proceed, my taxes need to be reviewed by a tax pro and they automatically assigned me one. 3 days later, I checked my taxes status, it said a new tax pro has been assigned to my case with no additional explanation. I contacted the tax pro and she said she was working on my taxes.

Next day I checked, A NEW TAX PRO AGAIN. Then another one next day. Within 6 days, 5 different tax pros have been assigned to my account. It was a real frustrating situation. I then decided to call the customer service. After multiple tries, I was finally able to speak to a real person. As soon as she heard my voice she said “one moment Sir” and next thing I heard was another agent speaking to me in Spanish. I was like **!!! Needless to say I’m not even Spanish. I’m (naturalized) Black American with French as native language. I felt insulted because all she asked me was “what’s your name Sir?”, then I responded and she said instantly assumed I’m Spanish and transferred me a Spanish speaker. That is really offensive. This company is a total mess with no professionalism. I will NEVER use their service again and I will make sure to let everyone know about how terrible and trashy they are.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I've been using H&R Block tax software for 8 years. This is the first year I have not been able to file in a timely manner. The software keeps telling me I have an outdated worksheet. Note I said "worksheet," not "form." I've done the updates, and it's now Valentine's Day and I still can't file because of the worksheets. That said, I like the software. It's easy to use, though my taxes are pretty easy, even with a small side business. I can usually have everything entered in an hour. By then I'm ready to file...except for this year. I've been ready since January 21st, and it looks like I need to wait another week for the next update.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

I switched to the H&R Block online software a few years ago and was loving it, but 2021 was a disaster. I completed my taxes but it kept insisting I owed thousands of dollars. It was counting a Roth IRA as income, but I couldn't find any way to change it. I finally just went to Taxact.com, paid more, and got it done correctly. The online site has gone too far at shielding you from forms so that I couldn't just check a box to check it. TaxAct did the same but asked me the right questions.

On top of that, I helped my friend to fill out his taxes a week later (they are simple) using H&R Block 2021 desktop software. We got his taxes done, but couldn't file because the program needed updating, which won't happen for another week. This was AFTER they charged his credit card, so unlike me, he was stuck. And even worse, there is no way to provide real feedback to HR Block on their site. They want you to pay for tax advice.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

The professional I booked a 30 mins phone appointment with just hung up on me after 10mins! What a waste of time. I will never use H&R Block again. I just wanted to know if there were any credits I can take advantage of and if it made sense for H&R Block to take on my return. She was incredibly rude and didn't seem to want to be talking to me at all. Then she just said she had a client and hung up on me. She should be fired. Wildly unprofessional and discourteous. I did not deserve that one bit. You should be ashamed Roseann **. Because of you I will never use H&R Block again and will post this review everywhere. Unbelievable. H&R Block #Roseann**IsTheWorst. She works out of the San Diego Office on Regents, so avoid that office.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I have been using Block software for over a decade without problems. This 2021 H&R Block Deluxe software is unacceptable and loaded with poor customer service and forms that are missing or don't give the correct result. The IRS worksheet that determines the portion of benefits that are taxable (but does not have to be attached to the return) is not functioning on this software but works fine on TurboTax. I cannot reach a live human on chat or by phone. After waiting on hold on the phone for 20-30 minutes, the call gets dropped on both my landline and cell phone.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

If you are a nonresident alien like me with F-1 visa, this company might be the worst one. Your federal refund will be maximized by applying deductions which are not eligible for nonresident aliens, and you might not be able to even notice these things, unless you compare tax documents prepared by other companies, line by line. If you have tax record issues, you would have some issues, when you apply for green card.

I used its online tax refund program, and I talked to one of tax professionals who reviewed my documents that I just wanted to follow tax laws of the U.S. and requested her to fix my tax documents prepared by H&R by removing deductions which are not eligible for a nonresident so that I can get appropriate tax refund. After that, I don’t know why, but my application was just cancelled without any notice from the professional or the company, but my payment was not cancelled. So I spend 4 more hours to cancel the payment. When I called the H&R customer service, I was just transferred a lot, and I should have repeated my personal information so they can identify me and explained my situation again and again. If you do not have a lot of time to waste working with this company, you might want to pick other company. Now I can have peaceful days because I don’t work with it anymore. :)

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I'm purchased and downloaded H&R Block Premium Software to do my 2021 taxes. I have already encountered 2 issues with the software and it's taken me multiple calls to be able to finally reach someone who has a clue on the issues I'm seeking assistance with. It's taking 30 mnutes or more to finally reach support when attempting to use both chat and phone call support. H&R Block software may be good to use for simple returns but not when it comes to rental properties or a lot of stock trading. I sold my rental property in 2021 and it has been a nightmare trying to file the sale of this property using H&R Block software. Bottom line is that the software is not very intuitive and I have encountered multiple issues with the software.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

The IRS form for SSA worksheet was not approved by the IRS. This is to be fixed in an update, but H&R Block does not know when. So as of 2/6/2022 I cannot efile because of this problem. This prevents me from me getting my refund ASAP.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

The charge to prepare my super easy return $115, is ridiculous. I planned on filing it myself but desperately needed the $ from the refund so I wouldn't be evicted from my home. Really **, you shouldn't charge people to be humiliated, seems a rather cruel way to run a business. This past year has been difficult for many people & devastating for many others, losing loved ones, jobs, homes, all sense of safety & security wiped out. H&R Block should care about the communities it's servicing & not be so goddamn greedy. Your shareholders should survive without GREED & GROWTH.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I have used the HR Block self-service online tax site for over a decade (paid version) and have always file Married - Jointly. I am experienced with taxes and did not have a tax question. There were tech issues with the site when doing my 2020 and 2021 taxes. The only available help was an online chat, which is no good when trying to resolve site issues (in case the browser has to be closed, cleared, reopened, etc.). HR Block needs to have tech support ability to screen share in another browser. Their tech support in India tries to help on the chat, but it is woefully time-consuming and frustrating to try and fix an HR Block website problem with these folks.

The chat folks decided the problem (it was saying I was filing Single instead of Married - Jointly) needed to be escalated. I was able to repeat the problem three times. Was sent to another team while I waited online for an hour. I actually saw my place in line for them INCREASE from 6 to 7 to 8 while waiting. That is just, plain BROKEN CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

I purchased Block deluxe + state tax software to do my taxes. It is a download to my computer. One of the forms that I need, 8915 F, is not available/supported by the software. I called Block's help center and was told that the form is not available in the software that I purchased but I should call an office and they can help me. I called a local Columbus office. The Representative that they had the form available in their software. I would need to have them do my taxes. It will cost a minimum of $190. It could be more depending on the complexity of my taxes. This is not a best business practice.

There should be a more customer-friendly option since my purchased Block software cannot do what the in office product does. I was not offered a discount or any type of consideration for having purchased a product from H&R Block that cannot handle the forms needed. If the professional software can accommodate this form, the software sold to the public should also be able to accommodate this form/information.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I spent a whole day preparing my tax on H&R Block website. Needed expert review which was "not available at the moment". They downgraded me automatically to Online Assist which didn't work. So I decided to remove it. The phone robot said it would delete all my filings. I called customer representative to remove the non working online assist from my bill without deleting my input but the lady deleted everything then apologized saying that her screen didn't give her the option to keep my inputs. I believe this is way to coerce people into paying for options they don't want.

Original review: July 8, 2021

First off, the system will not allow me to give a less than one star review. H&R Block is horrible when it comes to issues. I have been stuck in a nightmare situation for three weeks trying to get a mistake they made resolved. I have documentation and proof that it was their mistake. I've called their helpline, sent messages to the Tax Pro, and scheduled in office visits. The Tax Pro never responded to any of the messages, one office visit they didn't even show up for and never followed up, and every time I try to call the helplines, it says that all their agents are busy and drops the call.

Original review: July 2, 2021

This is the second time I've attempted to use HR Block. I had to cancel one account because nobody knew who owned it, nobody could access it and my tax information had been waiting for 5 weeks and nobody would return calls or messages. Now, I opened a new account, uploaded my tax information and no response to messages for a week. They are absolutely horrible and forget about calling their toll-free number, they can't do anything but send messages to people who never respond.

Original review: June 29, 2021

First.. I have used H&RBlock for over 5yrs. Every time I call it is a 30+min wait. When I call no one can ever help. They give you another number to a group that can't help and they send you back to the first group. Documents? Never expect them to give you a receipt of your payment to the IRS. They say you have to call their payment processor. Really? I filled out my personal banking info on the H&RBlock web app and they say they don't have a confirmation of that? PATHETIC. Don't use them. They continue to get worse year by year.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Extremely poor website and phone support ... can’t find much on the website and have waited over an hour at least 10 times in the past 6 months on the phone with no one ever answering. Phone wait has loud annoying music then so very low volume women groveling about something - alternating. Says call will be answered in (then drops silent). I can only assume H&R Block is falling into the pit of bankruptcy ... with such poor and never updated services. Always the high call volume excuse --- this just means you are no good at managing your call system which translates to a negative impact on the perceived quality of your products. After 2.5 hour wait on June 7th (tax filing was 5/17) go someone from India who could not answer my question and gave me cookie cutter 6th grade answers. Software is ok 3/5 if you really know what you are doing.

Resolution response: Dec. 8, 2021

They finally issued me a refund and resolved this issue which should have been done a long time ago. This issue is resolved finally!

Original review: May 30, 2021

On 2/16/2021, my account was charged $157.98 from H&R Block. This was an amount that I was quoted that I would be billed if I filed my 2020 taxes successfully through their company. The problem is that I did not end up filing taxes with their company and used another company to process my 2020 taxes. Despite this, I did not receive my money back and was wrongfully charged the $157.98 for services I did not end up using. It took a couple of months before I saw this charge, but when I did, I immediately contacted H&R Block on 5-9-2021. I was relieved after speaking with “Margareth I.” who apologized and assured me that I would be refunded within 3-10 business days. She provided me with case# 05479482 as a reference.

Once time had passed and I still had not received the refund, I was promised, I filed a complaint with the BBB on 5-17-2021 hoping this may speed up the process as it was getting close to the 10 day period I was quoted. I waited a couple of days and on 5-19-2021, I contacted H&R Block, yet again. This time was quite possibly the worst experience I have ever had, in my life, dealing with customer service. I spent almost FOUR HOURS being dropped, without warning, from one person, to the next, attempting to resolve this issue.

One agent, Julissa S., told me that my refund shows as processed, the case has been closed and to contact my bank. When I asked for any information that I could share with my bank, she repeated herself saying the refund had been issued. I again, asked for more information and was cold transferred back into the queue, AGAIN, but after she sent a quick sorry for the inconvenience message, rather than providing me with the information I kept requesting to give to my bank.

Eventually, I got someone named Brian who informed me that everything I had been told thus far was all false. He informed me that there was never even a case opened for my refund in the first place and it was not processed/sent to my bank because it was never initiated. He was the only helpful person I have found to date. Unfortunately, he was not able to file the refund request for me due to being in the sales department. The prior rep just dropped me to him, but I needed the product support team in order to get the request filed. He did provide me with some additional contact information (phone numbers) try to get assistance through, but I just couldn't do it any more. Mentally I just could not handle it. I am not only a single Mom, who runs a self employed business, I have bipolar disorder and anxiety, etc. and these situations are very difficult for me to handle at times.

I spent 4 hours that day getting now here, it took my entire evening and the worst part is it was for no reason because I wasn't even anywhere near where I thought I was in progress... Instead, I had not even began the process at all!! It is so discouraging considering all of the time I have invested in this and waiting for my refund that has not even been started, despite me expecting it to come in any day now. These are all things I should not have to be dealing with and going through in the first place because they should not ever have charged me for services they did not provide!

To date, almost 2 weeks now, they have yet to even acknowledge my BBB complaint, nor have I had any luck with them contacting me about my owed money. I did send an e-mail to them days ago and mailed out a letter today, to their corporate headquarters. Even though, I am not confident that this will change anything or that I will have my issue resolved by these various attempted methods. That is why I wanted to file a complaint with you as well because I would hope they would at least take this complaint serious, since the BBB they have not. I have been scammed, lied to and invalidly charged for services H&R Block did not fulfill and that I am owed and was promised to be refunded for, yet never received this and had a case # that was not even a case to begin with.

All of my communication I made sure to do through the live chat and saved all of the correspondence and will be happy to share, so you can see all of the lies I have been told and time/effort on my end to get this fixed, getting nowhere. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM, THEY STEAL MONEY AND DO NOT EVEN ACKOWLEDEGE YOU WHEN YOU REALZE IT!

H&R Block Company Information